PDA

View Full Version : Daily Australian News 2012

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Grunta
04-08-2012, 04:53 PM
I dont think Simon Hill or another reporter for that fact would name, names regarding this topic. Hills professional life depends on people supplying him with inside information about what's going on in footy. If he namess names no one would trust in the future. What he's done is opened the can of worms and will wait to see what happens.

As for my 2 cents I couldn't say money is a factor at the local elite level, but in my experience, who you know can certainly give you an advantage getting your child into the elite teams.

Grimario
06-08-2012, 01:55 PM
From the Jets Insider email

JETS SIGN BRAZILIAN ATTACKING MIDFIELDER
The Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets have signed Brazilian attacking midfielder Bernardo Ribeiro.

The 22-year-old, who also holds an Italian passport, is a product of the famed youth system of Brazilian giants Flamengo and has also spent time with Italian Serie A Club Catania.

Ribeiro was most recently with Albanian side Skënderbeu Korçë where he played in UEFA Champions League qualifying matches and was a key member of their team that won the 2011/12 Albanian Superliga title.

Newcastle Jets head coach Gary van Egmond said he was very pleased to have secured the services of Ribeiro for the 2012/13 A-League season.

“His junior football was at Flamengo and he’s obviously been really well schooled over there,” van Egmond said

“He was at Catania for six months and it was only because of a couple of issues with his work permit that he wasn’t able to play much there.

“He’ll get a good part of the pre-season with us which is excellent for him to have a chance to see how we do things and for us to see how we can best utilise him.

“All our discussions with Bernardo have been very positive and he is an ambitious player who is coming here with exactly the right mentality.”

Van Egmond said Ribeiro would help give the Jets a creative spark in the attacking third of the pitch.

“He’s able to beat people in a one-on-one in the middle of the park or in a wide area and he definitely has a point of difference,” van Egmond said.

“He’s exactly what we were looking for to add to what we have already as far as our squad is concerned.”

Jets CEO Robbie Middleby agreed with van Egmond's sentiments, saying he was excited to see Ribeiro representing the Newcastle Jets this coming season.

Ribeiro is expected to arrive in Australia later this week, before linking up with the rest of the Newcastle Jets squad as they continue to prepare for the start of the 2012/13 A-League season.

BERNARDO RIBEIRO

Full name: Bernardo Salim Ribeiro
Date of birth: October 9, 1989 (Age 22)
Place of birth: Nova Friburgo Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Position: Attacking midfielder

Playing history

1999-2010: Flamengo (Brazil) - Youth, Reserves and First team member
2011: Catania (Italy)
2011-12: Skënderbeu (Albania)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Ri5e3IXf4

russjaybee
06-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Who picked this a week or so back?

Grimario
06-08-2012, 02:03 PM
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/ribeiro/profil/spieler_189608.html
This guy is the Jets new signing apparentenly he will be signed by monday.

scarfy96
06-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Hmmmm youtube doesn't indicate a lot. Hope they have done their homework here cause that selection of footage doesn't show that ability to beat a player and play an incisive pass that we are hoping for.

terry
07-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Sydney FC open door for Culina comeback

Those axxholes deserve each other. shiteney scum.

furns
07-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Those axxholes deserve each other. shiteney scum.:what:

Jetmaster
08-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Herald this morning.......check out the photo comment !

http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/large/2046714.jpg

WING MAN: Ruben Zadkovich, left, with Newcastle Jets coach Gary van Egmond. Picture: Anita Jones

Ruben Zadkovich stepping up: Jets flyer taking on leadership function

BY JANEK SPEIGHT
08 Aug, 2012 04:00 AM

AS an elder statesman of the Newcastle Jets, Ruben Zadkovich has been handed extra responsibility by coach Gary van Egmond this year.
Although only 26, the feisty and energetic midfielder is easily a couple of years older than most of the squad and has been working closely with van Egmond in pre-season.

‘‘At the end of last year I had a good, long chat with Dutchy about what he wanted from me,’’ Zadkovich said after training yesterday.

‘‘We’ve worked on a few outlets of the game, intensity and the way I apply myself in training and also having more of a leadership role with the young guys.

‘‘They’re such great kids and I remember what it was like when I was their age, so I’m looking forward to setting a good example.’’

The former Derby County midfielder said he was impressed by the new signings this season, as well as the development of youngsters from last season’s roster.

‘‘Connor Chapman [has] been a real impressive individual and he’s a player playing well beyond his years,’’ he said.

‘‘He is a really good prospect for the club and the team, but all of them have been doing great.’’

Zadkovich is also looking forward to the arrival this week of new Brazilian recruit Bernardo Ribeiro.

‘‘I can’t wait,’’ he said.

‘‘I don’t know much about him, to be honest, but I’m sure he’s a quality player.

‘‘It will be good to have another fresh face in the squad as well and someone that offers something a little bit different.’’

The team were put through an intense training session in warm conditions yesterday before their second hit-out against the Northern NSW select side at Adamstown Oval tonight.

Last month, in the corresponding fixture, a Craig Goodwin hat-trick, Adam Taggart brace and a strike from Mitch Oxborrow sealed a 6-0 victory at Darling Street Oval.

Zadkovich said the team would look to build on that display as well as try out a few new combinations practised in training.

‘‘It’s not so much about the score, though it is important to make winning a habit. It’s more about the way we play and the quality and the tempo in which we play the game.’’

? Wellington Phoenix warm up for this year’s A-League with a daunting schedule of five matches in 14 days after struggling for meaningful pre-season games in the past.

The tour starts on August 18 with a match against Newcastle in Weston, before Phoenix travel to India for a four-team tournament.

Pico
08-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Players taking a shot at further education
Tuesday, 7 August 2012 2:42 PM

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00048438-leadimage.jpg

The days of footballers leaving the game with nothing but memories and a couple of medals are on the way out.

Modern players - those with established careers and just entering the game - are now encouraged to think of their lives beyond the white lines, and consider the ramifications of pursuing a career that lasts, for the most part, around 15 years.

In order to help build futures for players after the final whistle, FFA, in partnership with the PFA, have developed the My Football Career program, which aims to help players make educated and informed career decisions and to assist the continuing professional development of all Hyundai A-League, National Youth League and Westfield W-League players.

One aspect of this program is A-League clubs strengthening their ties with the universities whose campuses they train on (such as Sydney FC at Macquarie University, Melbourne Heart at Latrobe and Newcastle Jets at the University of Newcastle) to provide their players with clear educational pathways.

Currently, about 15 per cent of A-League players and more than half the Westfield Matildas are integrating university study with their football careers.

One such player is Newcastle Jets striker James Virgili (pictured), who is studying radiography at the University of Newcastle.

It's not immediately a career you might perhaps expect a footballer to follow but Virgili says study provides a good counterpoint to playing.

"It's x-rays, ultrasounds and MRIs - I've been injured a few times so maybe I got interested in it that way," Virgili says.

"Study's not too bad; it does get tough in pre-season because you're training a lot more and the workload's a lot heavier but once the season starts I actually find it a bit easier - apart from the away games.

"But they make it really easy, I do it part-time, and the uni let you do extensions for time."

There are a number of Jets players now taking advantage of their training base location at Newcastle Uni: Ben Kantarovski's doing a bachelor of psychology, Jacob Pepper's studying nutrition, young goalkeeper Jack Duncan's studying biomedical science and Ruben Zadkovich is undertaking a bachelor of music.

The players also receive ongoing support from the Jets career development advisor Emily Figueroa and the University of Newcastle elite athlete advisor Andrew Yapp.

The University's Elite Athlete Friendly Scheme offers support and flexibility to these students, through assistance with assessments, timetables, attendance and exam arrangements.

Figueroa admits working with footballers presents unique challenges but says it's important that players have the support to consider their professional development options whilst they are playing, no matter what point in their career they are at.

"Part of the job is making sure they understand that we support them 100 per cent in their football," Figueroa says.

"We believe football is No.1 in their life - but the reality is one day football's going to come to an end.

"It's not if - it's when. So many players find that transition really difficult if they haven't prepared for it. If they've felt like I'll deal with that when it comes, it's very difficult because life changes drastically when the contract comes to an end.

"They might be used to making $150-200,000 a year - then, all of a sudden, they're looking at the reality of making $50,000 a year.

"And it's not just financially; the thing they were most passionate about comes to an end, all those challenges, accomplishments and accolades come to an end. We need to be realistic, accept it and prepare them."

Playing football professionally is such an aspiration, such a dream for so many young athletes, it is not surprising that they don't always consider they harsh reality of the limited time they have - although it is perhaps more present for women, who don't earn anywhere near as much as their male counterparts.

As such, Figueroa says advising footballers, so engrained with a goal-orientated mindset, requires some encouragement and a broader approach than the focused existence of an athlete.

"I meet with players one-on-one, do a career assessment and get an idea of their education and work history. Then we talk about their off-field interests, what things they see themselves doing in the future, their goals in and out of future, and really it's looking at the whole picture.

"Career development's come a long way; in the old days the career development officer was someone who said, 'OK, what do you like? Working with kids? Boom, you should be a teacher.'

"These days it's more of a holistic approach, looking at the individual and going, 'OK maybe you're interested in this, now let's look at what you value in life, let's talk about where you want to be in the future, where you want to live, about how you see yourself.'

"These guys are elite athletes who have made it to the highest level of their sport in the country and chances are whatever they take on that they're passionate about they're going to do very well at, so it's about harnessing what else they love and make a plan with it so they're ready for when they time comes."

Other My Football Career initiatives, such as Open University Australia scholarships and an A-League club-based diploma of business program, also give players the chance to get a tertiary qualifications completed during their playing career.

www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/Players-taking-a-shot-at-further-education/48438

Rubez just preparing for his music career, pv4 for chief roadie.

Pico
08-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Sydney FC CEO calls for an A-League v MLS All-Star game and urges clubs to take world view

http://sportbizinsider.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/pignata.jpg

Sydney FC CEO Tony Pignata has called for an annual All-Stars match pitting an A-League selection against a team chosen from Major League Soccer in the US.

And as fans debate the merits of Tim Cahill’s move from Everton to New York, Pignata says Australian clubs could do more to learn from the rest of the soccer world.

“I’d love to see a match such as a regular A-League v MLS All-Star game down the track, once we bed down the competition,” Pignata told SBI. “It would be fantastic. We could do it in our off season when they’re starting up or vice versa. There’s no doubt that would be attractive.”

Pignata, about to embark on his first season in charge of Sydney, believes Australian clubs could do more to engage with the rest of the football world. He has signed up to attend the sport’s peak business conference Soccerex in Rio in November and urged other A-League clubs to travel for it as well.

Tribal Sports Management is negotiating with Soccerex to bring the conference Down Under in 2013 and 2014, ahead of the Asian Cup in 2015.

“You can’t compare the A-League to the major leagues in Europe,” says Pignata. “As a young league we need to get out there and we need to meet the calibre of people who attend this conference, network and get to know them, share ideas, share opportunities. That’s why I’d love to see other A-League clubs attend as well.

“And if Tribal Sports want to bring Soccerex here in the next two years then we need to support that by attending this one as well.

“From my point of view it’s a good way of meeting high calibre people within football and at the same time spreading the message of the A-League and Sydney FC.”

Pignata says he would like to undergo a study tour of the US in the A-League off season to spend time looking at the MLS model.

In the aftermath of the Big Bash League last season, Cricket Australia sent a group of executives and marketing staff to the US for a study tour that included a visit to the MLS franchise LA Galaxy.

Pignata said the idea of a similar study tour was floated by FFA a few years ago but rejected, likely on cost grounds.

“It’s invaluable to see how other leagues or sports organisations do things and to share ideas,” Pignata says. “If you pick up something you haven’t thought of, bring it back and it works then it’s paid for itself.

“When I was at Wellington we attended an Asian Football Confederation forum which was fantastic. All the CEOs of the leagues and the clubs in the AFC were there. It was fantastic networking, we were able to meet so many people and share ideas. I’d love to see more of that but I think as a league we don’t do enough and we should do more.”

Meanwhile Pignata says he understands Cahill’s decision to continue his career in MLS rather than at home.

“I know Tim’s comments irked a few people but there’s no way any A-League club could have afforded that transfer fee and that annual salary,” Pignata says. “I have no doubt that Tim made the right decision from his own economic value but I don’t see why him going to the MLS is a slap in the face for the A-League.”

Last week Pignata make his most significant contribution yet to his new club – tying up a major sponsorship with less than 60 days to go until the season kick off in early October.

“I’m enjoying being back in the league, enjoying the football, enjoying signing sponsors! It’s been a positive start and I’m looking forward to playing football for points.”

www.sportbizinsider.com.au/news/category/events-and-hosting/sydney-fc-ceo-calls-for-a-league-v-mls-all-star-game-and-urges-clubs-to-take-world-view/

No thanks with the jets luck we'd lose one of our players to injury before the season starts. Would rather a better attempt at that pacific comp they had a few years ago.

Pico
08-08-2012, 09:50 AM
FFA Cup on hold due to cost concerns
Tom Smithies
The Daily Telegraph

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/08/07/1226445/170810-miron-bleiberg.jpg

Former Queensland Roar A-League football coach MIron Bleiberg backs the introduction of an FFA Cup. Picture: Patrick Hamilton Source: The Daily Telegraph

THE long-awaited FFA Cup is still on hold pending soccer's new broadcast deal, as Football Federation Australia grapples with the cost of trying to establish a national knockout competition for the A-League clubs and state league teams.

Despite promises last year that the cup would be introduced in 2012, the knockout competition will have to wait until next year at the earliest as talks continue over a new TV deal that includes the A-League, Socceroos and an FFA Cup.

Without TV exposure for at least the later rounds, sponsorship of an FFA Cup will be in short supply.

In February last year the FFA's own revamp of the A-League, which produced the shift to an October kick-off, promised a 2012 introduction for the FFA Cup, but the government-commissioned Smith Review coupled with budgetary pressures has forced a delay.

The competition is keenly awaited across the football landscape as a way of integrating the "new football" of the A-League with grassroots clubs, presenting the possibility of FA Cup-style giant-killing.

It is believed the format being discussed in terms of the TV deal envisages the state league teams playing early rounds from May on a regional knockout basis, with the A-League teams entering in a round of 32 or 16 and then quarter-finals in September.

The semi-finals could then be in December, with the option of an Australia Day final garnering support at head office.

An FFA spokesman said a 2013 start remained the target but "a precondition is finding longer-term certainty around broadcast rights". "Our current broadcast and digital arrangements run until June 2013, which would fall within the first edition of the FFA Cup," he said.

"There's a need to provide certainty for all stakeholders and in turn secure the sponsorship that's required to help fund and promote the competition."

The delay comes after several of the A-League clubs drew substantial attendances to pre-season friendlies.

Both Western Sydney and Brisbane Roar drew more than 3000 to their first pre-season games against state league sides.

Among the Roar crowd was former coach Miron Bleiberg, who believes an FFA Cup would draw a substantial audience.

Like the idea of the Australia Day final.

militiamon
08-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Rubez just preparing for his music career, pv4 for chief groupie.

fixed

Also picture is wrong in this article as well I think, looks like Gallaway or some shit not Virgili.

Re FFA Cup, it's been on hold for the last 3 or 4 years lol, nothing new there. FFA don't have the balls or vision for this kind of shit, even if the money does come through I'm sure they'll stuff it up somehow.

Bon
08-08-2012, 05:07 PM
fixed

As soon as i saw Pico had put "roadie" instead of "groupie", I was going to suggest the same thing.. Well picked up Militia.. :lulzturtle:

pv4
08-08-2012, 06:32 PM
not even mad about the fix

Pico
10-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Truce between A-League owners and FFA under threat
Tom Smithies
The Daily Telegraph

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/08/10/1226447/168018-ffa-chairman-frank-lowy-and-ffa-ceo-ben-buckley.jpg

FFA Chairman Frank Lowy and FFA CEO Ben Buckley are facing further pressure from a number of A-League club owners. Picture: Getty Images Source: Getty Images

THE fragile truce that exists between soccer chiefs and the A-League club owners has been tested to its limit, with one senior owner accusing Football Federation Australia of treating the clubs "despicably" and another lobbying for a boycott of the National Youth League.

In a remarkable broadside by Greg Griffin, Adelaide's owner, he attacked the performance of FFA CEO Ben Buckley and threatened to quit the new committee formed only in May to bring FFA and the club owners closer together.

The Daily Telegraph has also learnt that another club owner recently sought support for a mass withdrawal from the youth league until the FFA agreed to pay for its operation.

In a widely distributed email, Griffin said he'd attend one more meeting of the new committee but needed convincing, saying: "I am not wasting my time with this mob."

Griffin, Melbourne Heart co-owner Peter Sidwell and Perth owner Tony Sage were elected to the A-League sub-committee in May, alongside three FFA directors, and made a series of demands including getting the salary cap covered in full and the costs of travel and accommodation for the youth league covered.

The clubs have to field teams in the youth league but several weeks ago Sidwell asked the other owners for support in a mass boycott until FFA agreed to underwrite it.

Despite huge initial optimism at the creation of the A-League sub-committee, sources close to FFA say that there has been rising anger among the owners at the speed of reform.

In another email seen by The Daily Telegraph, Newcastle Jets CEO Troy Palmer recently accused FFA of allocating clubs' performance bonuses based "on who can produce a nice pretty powerpoint presentation".

One of the other committee members, Tony Sage, yesterday sought to cool tempers by telling this newspaper that the owners would ultimately get all the financial support they needed from FFA.

"We put six points to the sub-committee at the first two meetings, and every single one of them has been accepted," Sage said.

"Three were implemented immediately, and the only issue is over the timing of the other three, which is pending the new TV deal.

"Would we have liked to have all six items implemented straight away? Of course, and it's frustrating to have to wait. "But in the long run we have got everything we asked for."

Noting a rise in the grant for each club this season to $1.9 million, an FFA spokesman said: "In FFA's view and from the clubs general feedback (the sub-committee) has lived up to its purpose in improving communications and providing the A-League clubs with an insight to decision-making.

"With the process working well and all six committee members contributing, we're surprised to hear talk of a resignation, but it's up to each individual to decide if they want to continue to be part of the committee."

This should make the rest of the off season more interesting.

Pico
10-08-2012, 08:11 AM
Wobbly start for new Jets keeper

ANALYSIS BY JANEK SPEIGHT
10 Aug, 2012 04:00 AM

http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/large/2049776.jpg
NERVOUS: Mark Birighitti

THE battle for the Newcastle Jets’ No.1 goalkeeping spot took a turn during Wednesday night’s game against the Northern NSW select side at Adamstown Oval.

Mark Birighitti, signed from Adelaide United in January, was given his chance to shine in place of an injured Ben Kennedy (groin).

But the Australian youth international, who has A-League and Asian Champions League experience, would have been disappointed he did not stake a stronger claim.

The 21-year-old was at fault for the opening goal when a mix-up at the back drew him out of his area to clear a loose ball.

Birighitti managed to get to the ball first but his clearance cannoned back off Josh Mitchell and over his head, gifting Broadmeadow Magic’s Scott Pettit the easiest of goals.

Despite the setback, the Jets fought back to secure a 2-1 victory, but it was not the only shaky moment in Birighitti’s 60minutes on the park.

The new recruit was almost caught out again before the break, forced to use his head to clear a bouncing ball after rashly coming out of his box.

This time it was lucky that NNSW and Jets youth player Andrew Hoole could not capitalise on the error.

But the two mistakes highlighted the fragile life of a goalkeeper.

In no other position is there as much pressure and it is clear one mistake can lead to weeks, or even months, on the sidelines.

For Birighitti, sitting on the bench is not an option at this stage of his career.

He played understudy to two-time A-League goalkeeper of the year Eugene Galekovic at Adelaide United and has made it clear since arriving in Newcastle in June he was after first team football.

‘‘I want to push myself and try to get that number one spot,’’ Birighitti said.

‘‘To do that I have to work hard and prove myself in training and when I do get an opportunity, do well.’’

But as it stands, Kennedy, who has been impressive in the past 18months, is the man to beat and Wednesday’s display was nowhere near the standard required.

www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/wobbly-start-for-new-jets-keeper/2647204.aspx

Will be interesting to see who starts the next trial game.

GazFish35
10-08-2012, 08:31 AM
will be interesting to see how all the BK haters react

goaliepersempre
10-08-2012, 08:44 AM
phhh Janet, what would she know about keeping....

Grunta
10-08-2012, 08:58 AM
BK was and still will be our number 1 for this season. If Birighitti shows nerves and makes these types of mistakes during a trial GVE would have rocks in his head to use as our No.1. More practice needed.

pv4
10-08-2012, 09:02 AM
all biraz needs is experience in games - otherwise he won't progress. it's not like he has some senior figure goalkeeper keeping him out of a spot, that he's learning from on a weekly basis in training (along with his gk coach).

if biraz rides the pine all season, gve will kaz-patafta (verb) him.

Blackmac79
10-08-2012, 09:07 AM
phhh Janet, what would she know about keeping....

Janek.

She is a HE. It's ethnic. I'll forgive you though since you have probably been watching the olympics and watching eddie or some other commentator butcher all names that are not "smith" or "jones".

As for the telegraph piece. Smithies loves his sensationalism. I believe the other club that called for a boycott was us shortly before our dummyspitwewontsupporttheclubanymore saga.

GazFish35
10-08-2012, 09:17 AM
gve will kaz-patafta (verb) him.

lol.
"give him a kaz"

pv4
10-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Janek.

She is a HE. It's ethnic. I'll forgive you though since you have probably been watching the olympics and watching eddie or some other commentator butcher all names that are not "smith" or "jones".

As for the telegraph piece. Smithies loves his sensationalism. I believe the other club that called for a boycott was us shortly before our dummyspitwewontsupporttheclubanymore saga.

does he know anything about keeping?

you mean our theffawon'tlistentoanyoneandtheleagueisheadingford estructionsowe'regrowingtheballsthateveryotherclub istooscaredto saga?

Blackmac79
10-08-2012, 09:47 AM
knows his football. Big Jets fan. Don't know about his knowledge of specific positions.

And that is the selfishnotthinkingabouttheeffectonthecommunityandt hejuniorsysteminthehunter saga that I am talking about.

BodyNovo
10-08-2012, 09:51 AM
BK just won the player of the year award. He should and hopefully will (bar injury) start the first game of the season, he should be given that at the minimum.

Please don't bite haterz.

besides the stuff ups biraz has been pretty decent. I'm happy we now have a dilemma in the goal keeping position, both keepers challenging each other on a week to week basis.

goaliepersempre
10-08-2012, 10:25 AM
sorry for the error, I did not read correctly I was having a breakfast break at work... Gotta love 3am wakeup.

True what Newyrover says, BK did win player of the year and it is good that biri is here for competition.

Remember he is younger then BK and hasnt had the same amount of game time...

General observers of the game and field players... really do not understand the development role and understanding of a goalkeeper and dont try to discount those words.

I just didnt feel it was a good piece, that being said I did not see the game. However the times I have seen him, he has done well.

Anywho...

Sign Griff and it wont matter who is in goals. :)

Grunta
10-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Agree with Goaliepersepre, goalkeepers need time to mature, rarely do young keepers make an impact (although we have seen a few in HAL recently) that is why we need to continue to back our current young (& local) No.1. Who has won the accolades and respect from his peers and not prepare the gallows because some new kid has hit town with ambitions on the No.1 spot.

Also sign Griff.

q-money
10-08-2012, 11:04 AM
bk > biraz

snake
10-08-2012, 11:06 AM
bk bk bk bk bk

BodyNovo
10-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Another point to further back up goaliepersempre

look at the current ages of the keepers in the league

Theo (lol) 31
Bolton 36
Necevski 32
Galekovic 31
Velaphi 25
Covic 37
Ryan 20
Paston 35
Vukobitch 27

Ryan is a real rare one in the keepers but all the rest are experienced goal keepers in the league who are tried and tested (maybe not velaphi)

biraz and BK are 21 & 25 respectively and are juniors when compared to Theo, Bolton, etc.

Also to further back up BK, he has had 3 years + ACL of first team football (minus the neil young saga and nash covering BK when injured)

Biraz has played only 8 times for adelaide in 3 years.

BK>Biraz

pv4
10-08-2012, 11:40 AM
birazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

q-money
10-08-2012, 11:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn7OX0zlG6M

KY mate

pv4
10-08-2012, 11:57 AM
sash, kaz, labi, thommo, ljubo, song, griff saving the pen.

what a great clip.

q-money
10-08-2012, 12:39 PM
you are a disc race

Grimario
10-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Speaking of disc race, the Discraft Ace Race is on in a few weeks... go and check out thread in Sports lounge. go go go.

MFKS
10-08-2012, 02:42 PM
The Criticism of Birrighitti FMD Facepalm:wtf::blush:

When that **** up occurred on Wednesday night I just giggled and had a good laugh about it. This event would happen once every 5 years in the HAL and was a zillion to one effort. Birraz came out to clear the ball up past half way and smashed it. Josh Mitchell turned his head expecting it to sail up to half way. Next thing you know the ball hit him on the head and ballooned 25 yards straight at goal. The severe spin on the ball kept it from going in. Mitchell was about 25 yards out Birraz was at the top of the box 5-10 yards to the right of the goal. Petit was unmarked and about 20 yards out and central and comfortably won the race to smash into the net from all of about 9 inches out.

Now all though you don't wish to see these type of events as a regular occurrence they happen in the game. Much rather it happened in this game in preseason than in the HAL or against the Gypo Plague. That also being said the ball could have easily pinged out for a corner/throw in/ centre of the park it was just extremely unfortunate that it went to goal.

Anyone who is criticising Birraz over this needs their head read. The rest of his game was of a good quality and from what I have seen of him since coming to Newy BK may start having to spend all summer with a set of tweezers handy to get the splinters out of his arse.

As far as the other error the clowns at the Herald are talking about I don't recall it being as bad as the hack journos are making out and it pales into insignificance when compared to the **** up Jack Duncan made in the 2nd half

snake
10-08-2012, 03:22 PM
The Criticism of Birrighitti FMD Facepalm:wtf::blush:

When that **** up occurred on Wednesday night I just giggled and had a good laugh about it. This event would happen once every 5 years in the HAL and was a zillion to one effort.

bloke practically scored an o.g. in the trial vs magic

also conceded an easy goal in the acl final

also azn u/21 final

bk all the way

q-money
10-08-2012, 03:28 PM
snake has even gone to war for bk

GazFish35
10-08-2012, 06:59 PM
So it josh Mitchell we should be head hunting?

militiamon
10-08-2012, 07:22 PM
bloke practically scored an o.g. in the trial vs magic

also conceded an easy goal in the acl final

also azn u/21 final

bk all the way

Exactly.

As I've said in other threads, I feel sorry for the guy because they are mistakes that I'm sure he'd be kicking himself about afterwards, but it is a bit of a worry that he's made two very embarrassing errors in only a few pre-season games. I don't think the errors are a reflection of his ability at all, it's just that for a guy who wants to try and unseat BK (who was fantastic last season), those kind of mistakes don't look good. I still like the fact that we have a young keeper with big potential now as backup, as opposed to 30 year old peasants, but BK is our first-choice keeper at this point, no question about it.

parksey
10-08-2012, 09:53 PM
nek minnit

Hamma12
10-08-2012, 09:57 PM
nek minnit

This comment deserves the following :offtopic:

*FREE
10-08-2012, 10:02 PM
brutal

Blackmac79
13-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Byebye AFL kvnt

The tom-toms are out for FFA CEO Ben Buckley – fuelled yesterday by sport columnist Phil Rothfield writing that (former NRL CEO) “David Gallop will be joined in the unemployment queue by another high profile sporting administrator in the not too distant future.” The hot tip is he is referring to Buckley.

It’s not the first time there has been public speculation about Buckley’s tenure.

Even when FFA was in the midst of bidding for the 2010 World Cup, FFA Chairman Frank Lowy was aware of disquiet amongst the broad church of football stakeholders with Buckley’s performance in the job, not helped by a lack of cut-through at the international football level. A list of possible successors given to Lowy in September 2010 included American David Downs, Englishman Andy Anson, PFA CEO Brendan Schwab, then Head of A-League Archie Fraser and, perhaps the one man who should be enticed back into the game ahead of anyone else – but for the FFA Board not as CEO – Mike Fraser, who is Managing Director of AGL and a former goalkeeper with ex-NSL powerhouse team, St George Budapest. At the time, Downs and Anson were still overseeing the US bid for 2022 and England bid for 2018 respectively; Archie Fraser was not popular with Lowy; and Schwab was not popular with FFA or the A-League clubs.

In December 2010, after FFA was humiliated with only one vote after $50 million of taxpayers’ expenditure at the 2022 vote, it was widely believed that Buckley would go; but, annoyed by public comments made by former national coach Les Scheinflug and former Socceroos Zeljko Kalac and Craig Foster about the management of Australia’s bid, Lowy showed both disdain for elite football opinion and loyalty to Buckley in equal measure by reappointing his hand-picked CEO on the spot at the only post-bid media conference.

In early 2011, conscious that the football ‘brand’ was not doing well, Buckley was given some performance measures he had to meet which included a successful ‘refreshment’ of the A-League season that kicked-off in October 2011, improved financial performance, greater engagement with fans and the community, improved crowds at the A-League, more prominence in the media and “fixing” the aborted western Sydney team, all as key inputs to a new television deal. The football elite accepted that Buckley was not only being given another chance to get the A-League right – his fifth full season at the helm – but he was also widely regarded as an expert negotiator and, with the new broadcast rights still looming, he still had an important job to do.

All was going relatively well on the surface until Gold Coast United imploded towards the end of the last A-League season followed by the Hunter Sports Group decision to withdraw from the A-League, for reasons revealed by SBI. That decision was only overturned after Lowy was forced to intervene directly with Tinkler because of what was an unworkable relationship between HSG and Buckley. Lowy was compelled to intervene not because Buckley and FFA recommended he do so, but because some straight talking external advisors told him the game was at a tipping point and if he didn’t, his own considerable legacy to the game could be reduced.

There are some who believe Lowy and Buckley agreed a ‘separation timetable’ months ago. They point to the fact that, although always reluctant to appear publicly, Buckley has been quieter than usual in the past few months and has “the demeanour of someone who’s given up”.

One A-League CEO recently described an email Buckley sent at 4pm on a Friday before he went on holiday as written in terms of a man “who no longer gives a stuff what we think.” The email advised CEOs they needed to cut their cloth and appeared to cast doubt over whether A-League clubs would receive full coverage of the 2012-13 salary cap of $2.5 million as has been long promised. This has led to the more recent ructions reported by Tom Smithies in the Daily Telegraph last week in which a previously avowed loyal fan of Buckley, Adelaide United Chairman Greg Griffin, is quoted as saying “I am not wasting my time with this mob.”

The consequent series of emails between Buckley/FFA and A-League CEOs are said “not to reflect well on anyone” according to one of those copied on all the correspondence. Another A-League CEO says clubs are “enormously frustrated by the lack of communication” while another club’s Chairman puts it more bluntly that “FFA has no communication skills. Period.”

A-League clubs are unhappy that the sponsorship provided by the Federal Government under the responsible drinking strategy (of $250,000 each) has been absorbed into the amount to be received as salary cap relief rather than being an ‘added extra’ on top of the anticipated $2.5 million. As it stands, clubs are guaranteed of receiving up to $1.9 million from the FFA without the new broadcast deal.

Further adding fuel to the Rothfield smoke are reports from both the Financial Review and The Sydney Morning Herald in the past month that have openly linked Gallop to Lowy and the FFA role. Gallop holidayed in the French Riviera prior to the Olympic Games, where Lowy’s super yacht regularly spends time; and, as Acting Chairman of the Australian Sports Commission, Gallop has been ubiquitous at Australian Olympic Games functions in London hosted either by Lowy’sWestfield, other AOC sponsors or by the Federal Government.

http://sportbizinsider.com.au/news/category/financial-and-governance/is-this-the-end-game-for-ben-buckley-at-ffa/

seldom
13-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Byebye AFL kvnt

won't be missed

boz-monaut
13-08-2012, 07:00 PM
we've heard all this before - I won't be popping the champagne corks until I see him cry on Fox Sports

can't wait to ready Fozzy's article the following Sunday if it is true

Blackmac79
13-08-2012, 07:07 PM
I would rather we get peter wilt over from the states if buckley goes, rather than Gallop. However he says he has already applied for numerous jobs with the A-league, FFA and clubs and has always been rejected.

they told him he has too many good ideas or something.

Pico
13-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Hardly popping the champagne if the rumours of Gallop are true, better the devil you know and all that.

Like it or not FFA has invested years of effort into Buckley to educate the bloke about football, do we really want to have to go through the same process again with Gallop, a bloke who is renowned for being just as reactionary as what Buckley is.

I still think the only real person at the moment who would give it a good go would be Schwab, but I can't see that happening as that would involve Lowy appointing someone who might actually think for themselves and want to act on those idea's.

q-money
13-08-2012, 07:30 PM
rugby league has a squillion dollar TV deal, they must be doing something right

this wilt character seems to hang around on the internet an awful lot for a bloke who is da saviour of the a-leagues, much like your bonita miron mercedes and the like

Pico
14-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Depleted Jets Youth side steeled for critical Magic clash

BY CRAIG KERRY
14 Aug, 2012 04:00 AM

http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/large/2052637.jpg

POSITIVE: Clayton Zane

JETS Youth coach Clayton Zane is focused on the positives of taking on Broadmeadow tonight without his A-League contracted players in the deferred final-round game at Wanderers Oval, a match which will settle places two to four on the ladder.

The Jets’ first-team takes on Rockdale City Suns in a trial at Ilinden Sports Centre tonight, leaving the Youth side without the services of James Virgili, Jacob Pepper and Mitchell Oxborrow for the crucial Northern NSW State League catch-up match.

A draw will give Broadmeadow third place and a second chance in the finals. A loss will leave them fourth behind Charlestown on goal difference and facing an elimination semi-final.

The Jets, who are equal with Magic and Charlestown on 35 points, have a superior differential and will finish no lower than third place.

Zane may have had his A-League trio on board had the game gone ahead on Saturday, but the washout leaves the Jets at a disadvantage.

However, the former Socceroo believes it is best for the players if they take the field at Rockdale.

‘‘Obviously it affects us but I think it’s better for those boys to take any chance with the first team,’’ Zane said.

‘‘We’d never try to convince them to stay with us, because it’s better for their development to play in the first team.

‘‘And I’m all for the younger guys with us getting more game time because it helps us evaluate them.’’

The Jets lost to Charlestown last round 3-2, after leading 2-0, with only their National Youth League players on deck.

Zane said the Jets would be without senior players because of Young Socceroos duties and first-team breaks for at least one week in the finals, making tonight a good opportunity to prepare for that test.

Magic coach Damien Smith said the Jets Youth had proven this year that they are quality side regardless of who they field.

Smith was focused on lifting the intensity in his side after a sluggish finish to the season.

‘‘A few of the boys are just going through the motions at the moment, and now we’ve come to the pointy end of the season, hopefully some of them might get the hunger back,’’ Smith said. ‘‘Mentally we need to prepared and strong. It’s going to be difficult game, there plenty at stake for us especially.’’

Striker Peter Haynes (bruised foot) will miss the game, which will be captain John Bennis’s 200th first-grade match for the club.

Edgeworth play Valentine at Cahill Oval and premiers Hamilton host South Cardiff at Darling Street Oval tomorrow night in games that will decide the fifth and final play-off spot.

www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/depleted-jets-youth-side-steeled-for-critical-magic-clash/2648876.aspx

At worst third place for the junior jets in their first year of NBN, I'd say the club would be happy with that.

Pico
14-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Brazilian gives Jets ‘point of difference’

BY JAMES GARDINER
14 Aug, 2012 04:00 AM

http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/large/2052598.jpg
TALENTED: Brazilian Bernardo Ribeiro trains with the Jets at Weston yesterday. Picture: Peter Stoop

GARY van Egmond does not expect to see the best of Brazilian Bernardo Ribeiro just yet, but the Jets coach has no doubts the pint-sized midfielder will provide ‘‘a point of difference’’ that only the elite few in the A-League possess.

Ribeiro arrived in Newcastle on Wednesday and will make his debut for the Jets off the bench against Rockdale at Ilinden Park tonight.

The Jets trained at Weston yesterday due to the wet grounds in Newcastle.

‘‘We don’t have what I would call people who have a real point of difference,’’ van Egmond said.

‘‘That is not just from a Newcastle point of view, that is an Australian point of view.

‘‘We don’t have those technically gifted players who can do something a little out of the norm.

‘‘Bernardo has that. Technically he is very good and his touch is very good.

‘‘We tend not to have too many of those players coming through the system with the Australian set-up.’’

Only 22, Ribeiro has travelled an interesting path to the A-League.

Born in Friburgo, he was spotted as a nine-year-old by Flamengo and spent a decade at the Brazilian powerhouse. He made his senior debut for the club in 2008 and scored four goals in 29 appearances before he left in 2010.

He joined Serie A club Catania but reportedly encountered work permit problems despite holding an Italian passport, which was the catalyst for a move to Albanian champions Skënderbeu.

Given his pedigree – he played four games in 2009 for the Brazilian under-23 side – the A-League would seem an unlikely destination at this point in his career.

‘‘We have done our due diligence and had a good look at him,’’ van Egmond said.

‘‘I think he had some issue with teams that he was with in Italy. He was trying to get visas and work permits to play there. It didn’t necessarily work out. He had a spell in Albania and again the coach changed, which didn’t work out for him.

‘‘Australia has become pretty popular for overseas players. It is also a gateway into Asia, especially China and Japan. The fact he was so ambitious and keen to come to Newcastle was an overriding factor.’’

Ribeiro is expected to play in a more advanced midfield role in van Egmond’s preferred 4-1-2-3 formation.

‘‘He can provide goals but he can also score,’’ the coach said. ‘‘That was also part of it, that he sees the killer ball.

‘‘Pace was also a factor. It will be nice to have someone in middle of park who can go past people.’’

Ribeiro will have a short stint off the bench tonight at Rockdale before being unveiled to the Newcastle public on Saturday against Wellington at Weston.

‘‘We will ease him into it,’’ van Egmond said. ‘‘The pace of the game might be out of it in the second half and he will get a few minutes.

‘‘He will definitely get more game time on Saturday.

‘‘It is going to take a little bit of time for him but his physical state is good.

‘‘It is more so that he needs games under his belt and more training sessions within the group, but the early signs are promising.’’

Ribeiro’s arrival leaves a proven striker as the only place to fill on the Jets roster.

The marquee position remains open, but van Egmond said if they go for a player outside the cap it is unlikely to be a ‘‘big name’’.

‘‘It doesn’t necessarily have to be a player that’s going to cost you a million dollars,’’ he said.

“Some players that we’ve been offered have been very, very high-profile players, but I suspect that they might not be at the peak of their career and you might not get exactly what you want.

“We’ve still got quite a bit of time. The first game isn’t until October 7.’’

Tonight’s hit-out against the Mark Rudan-coached Rockdale will be a chance for the fringe players.

Tiago, Josh Mitchell and Ryan Griffiths will be among those rested. Swiss defender Dominik Ritter (quadriceps) and Josh Brillante (hip flexor) were not considered.

● Fledgling A-League club Western Sydney signed their first international recruits on Monday – two Croatians at opposite ends of their careers.

Striker Dino Kresinger, 30 and with 11 seasons in Croatia to his name, and 22-year-old midfielder Mateo Poljak have joined the Wanderers.

www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/brazilian-gives-jets-point-of-difference/2648850.aspx?storypage=0

Can't wait to see the team play against the nix on Saturday, first real test of the pre season, will be interesting to see the starting 11 and see who the front runners are.

Marcus
14-08-2012, 09:10 AM
He sounds pretty deece.

Pico
14-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Brown named as Deadlys finalist
http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00048530-leadimage.jpg

Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets midfielder James Brown has been named as a finalist in the prestigious Deadly awards in the category of Most Promising New Talent in Sport.

The Deadlys are an annual celebration of Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander achievement in music, sport entertainment and community.

Brown said he felt privileged to be nominated for such a highly esteemed award.

“It’s nice to be recognised in the Indigenous community for my sporting achievements, so it is a big honour,” Brown said.

“I think I can definitely promote the sport in the Indigenous community as well as healthy living and making the right choices.

“Being nominated for this award will definitely help that objective.”

Newcastle Jets fans can vote for James Brown to win the award by clicking HERE (http://www.vibe.com.au/vote-deadlys-2012.php). Voting closes on September 9.

www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Brown-named-as-Deadlys-finalist/48530

Thought I'd copy this over from the jets website for those who might want to throw Brown some votes.

seldom
14-08-2012, 03:04 PM
anyone with a bit of o/s knowledge shed some light on the 2 croats Western Sydney have signed ?

ForeverRed
14-08-2012, 03:36 PM
At worst third place for the junior jets in their first year of NBN, I'd say the club would be happy with that.
Hardly showing any respect to the Nbn state league with these players preferred over a trial fixture to a competition game, what will happen next Saturday if the jets youth play at the same time as the jets v phoenix, will a semifinal be preferred over a trial match, hardly likely,

hauss
14-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Hardly showing any respect to the Nbn state league with these players preferred over a trial fixture to a competition game, what will happen next Saturday if the jets youth play at the same time as the jets v phoenix, will a semifinal be preferred over a trial match, hardly likely,

I really like the way the Jets have dealt with this. They want their junior players to feel that making it into the first team is their most important goal. Anything that prepares them for it and breeds that kind of hunger in the junior players will be good for the club.

Pico
14-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Jets duel for Family Membership pack
http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00048538-leadimage.jpg

A Family Membership pack was on the line when Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets players Ryan Griffiths, James Brown and Scott Neville participated in kick for goal competition at half time in Monday’s NRL clash between the Newcastle Knights and Cronulla Sharks at Hunter Stadium.

The three Jets players were representing contestants Scott McLean, Luke Pleasance and Tania Gross.
Kicking for Luke Pleasance, Ryan Griffiths got the competition off to a flying start, having no troubles kicking three from three.

James Brown followed suit with a similarly flawless performance for his contestant Tania Gross.

Scott Neville and his contestant Scott McLean were the first to bow out of the competition when he was off target with his second and third shots.

Griffiths and Brown then took part in a head-to-head kick-off from 40 metres out. With neither player able to convert, Luke Pleasance and Tania Gross we declared joint winners and both will receive a Jets Family Membership pack for the coming A-League season.

Jets Membership packs provide great value, starting at $230 for a family of three. You can sign up to become a 2012/13 Jets Member by clicking HERE.

www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-duel-for-Family-Membership-pack/48538

Ryu hanging with his boi's :pissup:

Disinterested Bystander
14-08-2012, 09:02 PM
I really like the way the Jets have dealt with this. They want their junior players to feel that making it into the first team is their most important goal. Anything that prepares them for it and breeds that kind of hunger in the junior players will be good for the club.

Exactly right, regardless of how butt hurt the former big fish in tiny ponds like Magic et al get, state league is a stepping stone for the up and coming kids.

It's good to see the club taking the chance to throw them into a bit of a pressure cooker against some older players.

q-money
14-08-2012, 10:18 PM
i hear someone got their head kicked in at the SFC/macarthur match

can't say i care either way as to what side they were from

furns
14-08-2012, 10:46 PM
bellends from WSW crashed the SFC preseason game

tune in to sfcu and westsydneyfootball for lolz

q-money
14-08-2012, 10:49 PM
ah remember back in the day when you could get punched in the head and no-one would cry about it on the internet?

parksey
14-08-2012, 10:51 PM
nope

q-money
14-08-2012, 10:52 PM
also someone threw a bin at someone :rof:

Grimario
14-08-2012, 10:53 PM
ah remember back in the day when you could get punched in the head and no-one would cry about it on the internet?

Yeah, back in the day I had to do my crying on bulletin boards :(

q-money
14-08-2012, 10:53 PM
i did it via carrier pigeon correspondence

parksey
14-08-2012, 11:06 PM
apparently some kid is being treated for a head injury from a thrown rock

good to see the double fa have finally reconnected with fans of old sokkah

militiamon
14-08-2012, 11:08 PM
also someone threw a bin at someone :rof:

This derby will deliver if only for the pure comedy of it :rof:

Is it FT yet? SFC twitter seems to have stop updating...

Apparently the guy that updates the twitter got rolled by rbb in the car park. Reports it was the middleby attacker

You're kidding.

furns
14-08-2012, 11:50 PM
yes
:whistling:

belchardo
15-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Boy, 6, hit with rock during mass football brawl

Published: August 15, 2012 - 6:04AM

A man has been knocked out and a young boy hit in the head with a rock during a brawl at a pre-season game between A-League club Sydney FC and the Macarthur Rams.

Witnesses say trouble broke out shortly before half-time in the game at Campbelltown Stadium on last night.

They say a small group of supporters of new A-League club Western Sydney Wanderers confronted Sydney fans after a flare, thrown by a Wanderers fan, was hurled back at them, a media report says.

A Wanderers fan who was knocked out was treated by an ambulance crew before being put in a neck brace and taken to Campbelltown Hospital, the report said.

A six-year-old boy waiting to go onto the field at half-time to have a kick was hit in the head with a rock and suffered bruising.

Sydney FC chief Tony Pignata was outraged by the incident.

"I thought this sort of stuff had been eliminated long ago," Mr Pignata said.

"It's just not acceptable.

"We have mums and kids going to our games. We have to stamp this sort of behaviour out and stamp it out now.

"I can assure you the Sydney fan who injured the other fan will never be allowed to see another Sydney game and I would assume the Wanderers will do the same with their fans who caused the problems tonight."

The new Wanderers club is owned by Football Federation Australia, which is expected to investigate the incident.

A Wanderers spokesman said: "We're committed to working with Sydney FC to make sure the relationship is built on a healthy rivalry."

He said club boss Lyall Gorman would meet Mr Pignata today.

AAP

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/boy-6-hit-with-rock-during-mass-football-brawl-20120815-2479i.html

good start

Jetmaster
15-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Chuck WSW out now !

Pico
15-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Man and child injured as soccer hooligans storm Sydney FC game

Tom Smithies
The Daily Telegraph
August 15, 2012

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2012/08/14/1226450/461629-sydney-fc-soccer-riot.jpg

Pictures show a flare being set off at Campbelltown and an ambulance arriving to treat the injured. Source: The Daily Telegraph

SOCCER officials have vowed to root out and ban hooligans claiming to follow West Sydney Wanderers who sparked a fight at Sydney FC's first pre-season game of the season last night.

A man and a child were injured in the melee, which broke out at Sydney FC's friendly against Macarthur in Campbelltown after supporters claiming to follow Wanderers began chanting "RBB", a reference to Wanderers' fans group the Red and Black Bloc.

A flare was thrown towards the Sydney FC supporters, a handful of whom then began fighting with the alleged Wanderers followers. One was knocked out when witnesses said a bin was thrown.

Though he was later said to be not badly hurt, a six-year-old child was also treated at the scene after being hit by a stone in the crossfire between around 10 individuals on each side.

A furious Sydney FC CEO Tony Pignata witnessed the events and said those involved had been identified and would face bans from the A-League for the season.

"We think we know who was involved on both sides, and those guys had better think about getting Foxtel because it's the only way they're going to watch one of our games this season," he said.

"It's a disgrace, an absolute disgrace, the worst thing to see when both clubs are going about trying to attract supporters the right way.

"I will sit down with Lyall (Gorman, Wanderers executive chairman) tomorrow and make sure we deal with the people responsible in the toughest way."

A spokesman for Wanderers said Gorman would meet Pignata today to gather reports on the incident, and added: "We're committed to working with Sydney FC to make sure the relationship is built on a healthy rivalry."

Wanderer's making a great first impression :yeahright:

BodyNovo
15-08-2012, 10:06 AM
old sokkah is back.

Pico
15-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Time to stamp out the hooligans

Tom Smithies
The Daily Telegraph
August 15, 2012

CRAZY. It's crazy, they're crazy. The EPL is about to begin, the countdown is on to the start of the A-League, and a handful of neanderthals manage to damage it for everyone.

Those who attended Sydney FC's friendly last night with the intention of making trouble in the name of West Sydney Wanderers have no place in the game.

To be fair to the Red and Black Bloc, the Wanderers' official fans group, there were appeals on RBB forums yesterday for them to stay away from the game.

But all it takes is a rogue element, however small, to bring out predictable cries that soccer still has an inherent core of hooligans. It's easy for enemies of the game to put the boot in when pictures of an ambulance on the hill behind a goal, treating a child for heaven's sake, fill the voracious appetite of Twitter.

So the words of Sydney FC CEO Tony Pignata were heartening no attempt to apportion blame, just the simple message that anyone involved will be thrown out of the game.

Now the fans must follow suit. The Cove have been one of the best things about the A-League from the beginning, and their passion rarely crosses the line. The RBB by contrast are just weeks old, and are still feeling their way.

But self-policing by both groups would send the most powerful message, far more than official identification and punishment of the individuals involved will be.

Witnesses made clear there was disgraceful behaviour on both sides.

So there should be no second chances for those involved, and the leaders of the two groups have to take the lead in that and also in making it very clear that no repetition will be tolerated from others.

The Melbourne derby has become one of the great moments of the city's sporting calendar and the Sydney equivalent could be the same. The atmosphere should be electric, the night momentous.

But it won't be if the fear is permanently there that a handful of juiced-up juveniles think it's cool to literally knock the opposition off.

No one can legislate for the actions of a handful of disaffected fools, but it has to be made clear by the real fans that such behaviour will leave them ostracised.

Surprised the terror published this.

Hamma12
15-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Jobe on target as Jets down Rockdale

JOBE Wheelhouse gave a reminder of his predator instincts, scoring the winner as the Jets overcame a plucky Rockdale City Suns 1-0 at Ilinden Park last night.
In his second competitive game in the starting side after off-season foot surgery, Wheelhouse made a run into the box to collect a square pass from Marko Jesic and sidefooted past the Rockdale keeper.
The skipper’s effort proved the difference in a game in which the visitors wasted a host of scoring opportunities.
Jesic had a shot cleared off the line, while James Virgili, Adam Taggart, Craig Goodwin and replacements Mitch Oxborrow and Brazilian recruit Bernardo Ribeiro also failed to convert chances.
Ribeiro, who arrived on Wednesday, played the final 20 minutes on the left of a front three.
He had a shot from the edge of the area blocked by a Rockdale defender.
The rebound fell back at his feet but the pint-sized playmaker’s first-time follow-up effort went wide.
The Suns, who boasted former Jets Dave Talevski, Paul Kohler, Jason Naidovski and Adrian Karakolevski tested the Jets defence, especially from set pieces
Jets Regulars Ben Kennedy, Tiago, Ruben Zadkovich and Ben Kantarovski were rested last night while Ryan Griffiths, Scott Neville and James Brown came off the bench.
Wheelhouse, a holding midfielder for the main, has been used in a more advanced role in coach Gary van Egmond’s 4-1-2-3 formation.
He scored four goals in 19 appearances last season – his most productive – and in the absence of a prolific striker will be required to at least match that this campaign.
The win was the Jets fifth outside of intraclub trials and followed triumphs over Broadmeadow Magic (3-1), Canberra Rockets (9-1) and Northern NSW Select (6-0 and 2-1).After mixing and matching his line-up, van Egmond is expected to field his strongest XI against Wellington Phoenix at Bear Park Weston on Saturday. The Jets break for a week after the match.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/jobe-on-target-as-jets-down-rockdale/2649624.aspx

seldom
15-08-2012, 03:29 PM
old sokkah is back.

:cool:

GazFish35
15-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Mass brawl....

Heard it was 10 idiots maximum.

furns
15-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Channel 10 had it as second story, and was a mass brawl and flares were thrown

:sigh:

parksey
15-08-2012, 07:31 PM
yeah, well a 6 year old kid did get hit in the head by a rock

and some guy got killed by a bin

Jeterpool
15-08-2012, 08:46 PM
yeah, well a 6 year old kid did get hit in the head by a rock

and some guy got killed by a bin

A guy died last night???!! I didn't realise that

furns
15-08-2012, 08:55 PM
:what:
there was max 10 blokes having a scrap started by one. According to 442 foz the bloke started it all was the one who got laid out, and someone threw a bin. No-one got killed, but its not good that a young lad was hit by the rock.

pistolpete
15-08-2012, 09:16 PM
A guy died last night???!! I didn't realise that

http://i.qkme.me/35v865.jpg

parksey
15-08-2012, 09:54 PM
i was referring to another bin related death

GazFish35
15-08-2012, 10:23 PM
i was referring to another bin related death

In Pakistan?

plague
15-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Sky news tonight winding it up big time.
Blokle blaming it all on the Croatians.
He had Bozza on his radio show today. Reakons its cool to bring your Cro flag to the game, just dont throw rocks at kids or something.

This was sandwiched between segments on boat people and dangerous dogs.
Im serious.

Pico
16-08-2012, 07:46 AM
South Cardiff rout Hamilton Olympic but miss finals
JAMES GARDINER
16 Aug, 2012 04:00 AM
http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/large/2056063.jpg

FALLING SHORT: South Cardiff’s Daniel Johnson evades a Hamilton player last night. Picture: Simone De Peak

SOUTH Cardiff ended their goal-scoring woes with a 7-3 rout of Hamilton Olympic last night, but it was not enough to jump into the Northern NSW State League play-offs.

Edgeworth beat Valentine 3-1 to hang on to fifth spot and seal a finals berth on a dramatic final night of the regular season.

The Eagles entered their catch-up game at Blacksmiths two points and one goal clear of the Gunners.

They needed a victory to be guarantee a place in the elimination semi-final against Charlestown City at Lisle Carr Oval on Saturday.

South Cardiff had to beat minor premiers Olympic at Darling Street Oval and hope Edgeworth stumbled.

Both games started at the same time and at half-time, with Edgeworth and Valentine locked at 1-all and South Cardiff up 3-1, it appeared the Gunners could progress.

But Chris Wheeler and Alex Palozzi scored for Edgeworth in the second half.

Broadmeadow and the Jets youth team will contest the qualifying semi-final at Wanderers Oval on Sunday.

Olympic have the week off after finishing on top.

Last night was the first time the Gunners had scored more than one goal since a 2-0 win over Valentine in round 12.

‘‘It was a good way to finish and we can hold our heads up high,’’ South Cardiff coach Steve Piggott said. ‘‘We let opportunities go in the last five weeks which cost us.

‘‘Tonight we believed we could score and we did.

‘‘We had everything to play for and they didn’t. All we could do was our part.’’

Having wrapped up the minor premiership, Olympic did not risk goalkeeper Brad Swancott (calf) and Tom Walker (hamstring). They also rested Matt Austin and Jacob Bailey, who were a caution away from suspension. Dave Hodgson (suspension) also watched on from the stands.

Olympic were unbeaten in 13 matches, but without Austin and Swancott to marshal the defence they were loose at the back and conceded an avalanche of goals.

At Blacksmiths, Justin Tannock put the visitors ahead from the spot, but on half-time Damian Zane stuck his foot out to intercept a cross only to deflect it in for an own goal.

Wheeler got his head to a Karl Dodd cross in the 65th minute and Palozzi scored with seven minutes to go with a free kick that eluded everyone in a crowded six-yard box.

www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/south-cardiff-rout-hamilton-olympic-but-miss-finals/2650548.aspx

Absolutely disgraceful actions by Hamilton, can't believe they would show so much disrespect to the opposition and the rest of the league by not playing their full strength squad. Its just unacceptable to be fielding a weaker side that benefits other opposition, opposition that has a chance to impact the finals make up.

sh10
16-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Do I see karrrrrlllll

q-money
16-08-2012, 12:35 PM
saw that too, slightly excited yeah

Grunta
16-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Sky news tonight winding it up big time.
Blokle blaming it all on the Croatians.
He had Bozza on his radio show today. Reakons its cool to bring your Cro flag to the game, just dont throw rocks at kids or something.

This was sandwiched between segments on boat people and dangerous dogs.
Im serious.

So whats the Croation connection with the RBB. Or did I miss something :confused:

This is really getting back to old time Australian socca

Jetmaster
16-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Only connection is that the powerful old Sydney Croatia is in Western Sydney........

ForeverRed
16-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Absolutely disgraceful actions by Hamilton, can't believe they would show so much disrespect to the opposition and the rest of the league by not playing their full strength squad. Its just unacceptable to be fielding a weaker side that benefits other opposition, opposition that has a chance to impact the finals make up.

Or perhaps they were not good enough on the night

parksey
16-08-2012, 03:41 PM
half of west sydney's team is croatian

q-money
16-08-2012, 04:04 PM
thanks for the update columbo

plague
16-08-2012, 04:17 PM
So whats the Croation connection with the RBB. Or did I miss something :confused:

This is really getting back to old time Australian socca

The dude on Sky just 'went there' with the ethnic element. Pretty much just saying "now as I understand it this was something to do with Croatians".

Then just bent over to sniff his own fart before turning his attention to "those dangerous dog breeds".

the_butcher
16-08-2012, 04:19 PM
half of west sydney's team is croatian

Who are all the cro's? Obviously Popa, Covic, Poljak, Kresinger and who else? We probably had just as many when we had culina snr, culina jnr, ljubo, jesic, zad, simic (obvs cant remember if they were all in the same squad at the same time)

q-money
16-08-2012, 04:22 PM
jesic is a serb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06QR3HfKA08

q-money
16-08-2012, 04:25 PM
just defending my orthodox bloodline, carry on

the_butcher
16-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Explains alot. Anyway, who are all the cro's?

q-money
16-08-2012, 04:33 PM
tarek elr"ich" mate, cant you see the bloody signs, the cros are everywhere, do i have to sound it out

q-money
16-08-2012, 04:37 PM
even zadkovich might be an undercover serb

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00048586-leadimage.jpg

pv4
16-08-2012, 04:48 PM
http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00048586-leadimage.jpg

brb, off to get some wrist tattoos

/fanboi

Bon
16-08-2012, 05:15 PM
brb, off to get some wrist tattoos

/fanboi

I thought you would be off to do "something" with your wrist, but getting tattoos wasn't it.. :gent:

the_butcher
16-08-2012, 08:32 PM
even zadkovich might be an undercover serb

Reminds me of my all time favourite youtube clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13JyIGMOPBU
My favourite quote from the commentator whilst shit is kicking off in the stands:
"It's like a Kiss concert...wonderful stuff!"

MFKS
16-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Interesting to see what comes of this little matter when the Smurfs play the Kebab Mafia for real in the first Sydney Derby.

Wonder if there will be a bit of a get square from the Felafel Shop owners aimed directly at the Smurfs Cove??

Should go down dress in red and white and rip some flares for a laugh!!!

GazFish35
16-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Interesting to see what comes of this little matter when the Smurfs play the Kebab Mafia for real in the first Sydney Derby.

Wonder if there will be a bit of a get square from the Felafel Shop owners aimed directly at the Smurfs Cove??

Two of the idiots have been arrested and charged.
And please don't even joke about this.... There's enough idiots on here who will think you're serious and actually think its a good idea.

parksey
16-08-2012, 10:08 PM
brb buying a kebab

hawk
16-08-2012, 10:13 PM
white eaglesssssssssssssssss

boz-monaut
16-08-2012, 10:14 PM
ban all ethnics from the A-league I say

seldom
17-08-2012, 01:29 AM

Ray Cyst .......welcome

furns
17-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Do I see karrrrrlllll
still one of the funniest moments giving Karl a 15 minute chant session

MFKS
17-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Two of the idiots have been arrested and charged.
And please don't even joke about this.... There's enough idiots on here who will think you're serious and actually think its a good idea.

Who are these idiots that take me seriously???:rof::rof:

Some People FMD:blush:

Retro Jet
17-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Reminds me of my all time favourite youtube clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13JyIGMOPBU
My favourite quote from the commentator whilst shit is kicking off in the stands:
"It's like a Kiss concert...wonderful stuff!"

I've got some photos (somewhere...) or the damage Melb Knights did to
Breakers Stadium change rooms after losing there one year. Shower heads broken off,
damage to toilet seats, sangas in the loo's....
Grubby turds

the_butcher
17-08-2012, 04:27 PM
I've got some photos (somewhere...) or the damage Melb Knights did to
Breakers Stadium change rooms after losing there one year. Shower heads broken off,
damage to toilet seats, sangas in the loo's....
Grubby turds

Not to mention the cars in the carpark!

Speaking of cro's & breakers, one of my fav moments was vs sydney croatia. Cartz was in goals and was heckled all game by that cro bloke who used to wear the red, white and blue indian head-dress thing. After the match Cartz casually strolled over to the fence where this bloke was & gave him a good squirt in the face with his water bottle. Old mate cro was deadset fuming. Now adays a keeper would be charged with inciting a riot if he did that haha

q-money
17-08-2012, 04:44 PM
:rof:

snake
17-08-2012, 04:49 PM

Hamma12
17-08-2012, 05:35 PM

Hamma12
17-08-2012, 05:36 PM

GazFish35
17-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Who are these idiots that take me seriously???:rof::rof:

Some People FMD:blush:

There are enough.

PS : one is enough

the_butcher
17-08-2012, 07:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubs53AHtU3w

Deansy at 55secs

the_butcher
17-08-2012, 07:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubs53AHtU3w

Deansy at 55secs

2mins 40 secs "craig deans got one in the mouth", fav quote

Jetmaster
18-08-2012, 10:15 AM
All not well in Tinkville..............

Knights, Jets say Tinkler's committed

BY BRETT KEEBLE
18 Aug, 2012 04:00 AM

THE Knights and Jets said yesterday owner Nathan Tinkler remained unwavering in his commitment to Newcastle’s rugby league and soccer teams despite his attempts to sell his horse-racing empire.

The Newcastle Herald reported yesterday that Tinkler tried to raise $200million in June by selling his Hunter Valley-based Patinack Farm racing and breeding operation to Qatari royal Sheikh Fahad Al Thani, the owner of last year’s Melbourne Cup winner, Dunaden.

About 350 Patinack thoroughbreds, estimated to be worth tens of millions of dollars, will be sold at a reduction sale at the Gerry Harvey-owned Magic Millions on the Gold Coast in October.

The Knights and Jets are operated by Tinkler’s Hunter Sports Group company.

Tinkler spokesman Tim Allerton issued a statement yesterday on behalf of Knights chief executive Matt Gidley and Jets counterpart Robbie Middleby, who said the mining and sporting magnate would ensure the region’s football flagships remained strong and viable.

‘‘Following media reports today about Patinack Farm’s sale of horses as part of its thoroughbred breeding program, there has been some enquiries about potential implications for the Newcastle Knights and Newcastle Jets,’’ the statement said.

‘‘This decision to sell the horses has no impact on either club and Nathan Tinkler’s commitment to both is unwavering.

‘‘The Tinkler Group acquired both clubs that were in financial crises, extinguished their existing, heavy debt levels and invested considerable funds in them to continue operations and succeed.

‘‘That program remains in place, as is Mr Tinkler’s commitment to the Hunter region, to ensure we have two strong football clubs of which the entire Hunter region can be proud.’’

Knights chairman Paul Harragon and Knights members club chairman Peter Corcoran did not return calls from the Herald.

Jets advisory board chairman Ray Baartz, interstate on holiday, said he was unaware of the developments concerning Tinkler’s racing empire, and declined to comment.

The Herald reported on August 8 that the Knights members club and HSG had agreed to change critical dates in the ownership agreement signed one year earlier, so the members club could still access the $20million bank guarantee that underpins the agreement.

According to that document, dated August 5 last year, HSG must present on December 15 a statement from their auditor to the members club board detailing matters including trading capital, HSG’s top-up to meet its annual guaranteed sponsorship of $10million, and funding for the Newcastle Rugby League and for junior development.

The members club then has 20 business days from a January 1 trigger date to access the guarantee, or exercise its buyback option, if the club believes HSG has not met its financial obligations.

HSG and the members club have agreed in principle to change the reporting date to February 15 and the trigger date to March 1, but the agreement is yet to be formally amended and signed by HSG and members club representatives.

The bank guarantee reduces from $20million to $10.3million from January 1 next year, then increases annually from January 1 in accordance with the Consumer Price Index for the remaining eight years of the agreement.

HSG in stadium stand-off

MATTHEW KELLY

Nathan Tinkler’s Hunter Sports Group remains locked in a stand-off with the state government over debts at Hunter Stadium.

The debts have been a sticking point in the drawn-out negotiations for a new 10-year access agreement for the venue.

A separate skirmish flared up recently involving a $19,000 power bill incurred during the stadium’s redevelopment in 2010.

The debt was the subject of a fiery war of words earlier this month between the Newcastle Knights, which is seeking reimbursement, and Hunter Venues.

‘‘This situation was raised at meetings that were held with Hunter Venues staff and officials and the undertaking was that we [Newcastle Knights] would be reimbursed to the cost,’’ Newcastle Knights financial controller Phillip Blackford wrote in an email to Hunter Venues general manager Bicci Henderson on August 6.

‘‘We will seek any documentation regarding that undertaking, however, given the previous administration’s lack of follow through with formal communication and given the strained relationship between the Knights and Hunter Venues, I would question whether a written undertaking was ever sent.’’

Hunter Venues is part of Venues NSW, which is a division of the NSW Office of Communities.

An Office of Communities spokeswoman said this week that the Knights’ claim had not made any reference to invoices from an electricity supplier.

‘‘Therefore the calculations contained in the invoice cannot be properly checked,’’ she said.

The Knights had been asked to provide appropriate evidence so the matter could be resolved, she said.

Both groups said they were working in good faith to resolve the outstanding matters.

Neither group would comment on the total value of the debts.

‘‘It has been agreed that the balance will be finalised at the same time we complete our current negotiations of the 10-year lease agreement,’’ Hunter Sports Group spokesman Tim Allerton said.

The Office of Communities spokeswoman said no gate takings had been withheld from the Hunter Sports Group while the negotiations were under way.

Bring back Con..........

Jetmaster
18-08-2012, 10:16 AM
And on todays game, Dura.......

Testing time for Phoenix: Durante expects tough match against young Jets

BY CRAIG KERRY

WELLINGTON Phoenix captain Andrew Durante expects the young Newcastle Jets squad to give his side their first real test of fitness and football skills tonight at Weston Park.

The former Jets central defender, who was man of the match in Newcastle’s 2008 A-League grand final triumph, arrived in Sydney yesterday with the Phoenix squad.

Wellington will treat the game at Weston as a hit-and-run assignment because they fly out of Sydney tomorrow for a tour of India where they will play four games in 10 days.

Durante said Gary van Egmond’s young, new-look Jets line-up would be a stern test for Phoenix, who have played only two trial matches so far against local opposition.

They have beaten state league opponents Lower Hutt 4-0 and Miramar Rangers 9-0.

The 30-year-old said the first two games had been about building match fitness, which would be tested tonight.

‘‘I think they’ve played five or six games already and done well so they’re far more advanced than us in that respect,’’ Durante said.

‘‘Dutchy has put together a squad of really young boys and we expect them to be really tough.

‘‘They will be fit and lively and trying to play a really nice passing game, which is obviously what Dutchy is trying to instil there. It’s going to be a good test for us.’’

Durante expected Wellington to start their strongest available line-up tonight and make the most of playing A-League opponents.

‘‘Playing a team like Newcastle we will starting working on the football side of things more, but there is still a long time before we kick a ball in the A-League so fitness is still a priority,’’ Durante said.

Although only Jobe Wheelhouse and Ben Kennedy remain at the Jets from his days with the club, Durante said the trip to Newcastle was always one he enjoyed.

‘‘It’s always good coming back to Newcastle. My wife’s family are from there so it will be great to catch up with them even though we won’t have long,’’ he said.

The match today will be the Jets’ first against A-League opposition, after victories over Broadmeadow Magic (3-1), Canberra Rockets (9-1), Northern NSW Select (6-0 and 2-1) and Rockdale City (2-1).

The match, which will kick off at 5pm, will be Newcastle’s last effort before a week’s rest, and van Egmond is expected to field his strongest available side.

Retro Jet
20-08-2012, 01:29 AM
And on todays game, Dura.......

See post match comments in Pre-season thread.

Guerny
21-08-2012, 04:01 PM
David Gallop is the new Buckley...

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/david-gallop-to-be-appointed-new-ffa-boss-20120821-24jxg.html

old news really.

G

plague
21-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Shrewd move if its (finally) announced. Bloke seems like a decent human being, loves a beer and a surf. Can't get more 'Aussie' (read: not ethnic/old soccah/recycled) than that.

Also, interesting press coverage today of the 'brawl' in last nights NRL match.
Way less tut-tutting and 'nails in the coffin' type stuff.
Let's hope Gallop gets his mates in the press onside (and yes he is good friends with Rebecca Wilson) and get a bit fairer shake of the sauce bottle.

furns
21-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Ding dong the witch is dead........ etc

Jetmaster
21-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Nuh - during the Jets "mania" of early 2008, Gallop was aksed about whether it was good to have some friendly competition for the NRL in Newcastle.

Gallop said - "the Jets are no competition"....

Meet the new boss......same as the old boss.....

Pico
21-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Ben Buckley to step down as FFA CEO

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00048647-leadimage.jpg

The Chief Executive Officer of Football Federation Australia, Ben Buckley, has announced he will step down from his role at the conclusion of negotiations for the FFA’s new broadcast deal in about two months.

Mr David Gallop has been appointed the new Chief Executive Officer.

Mr Gallop is well-known as the former CEO of the National Rugby League and Australian Rugby League Commission and is widely respected as a leader and sports administrator.

The Chairman of FFA, Mr Frank Lowy AC, said Buckley first raised the prospect of moving on from FFA several months ago and the two had agreed the conclusion of the broadcast deal was a logical time to make a career move.

“The broadcast deal is at the heart of the future of football in this country and it has been the most critical aspect of my work for the past 18 months,” Buckley said.

“I told the Chairman some time ago I was determined to negotiate the best possible deal to underpin the future growth of the game but that once done I would like to work with he and the board to identify a successor.”

Mr Lowy said Buckley had discussed Gallop with him about two months ago. Buckley had contacted Gallop soon after he had left the NRL and had discussed possible opportunities at FFA.

“These discussions created the opportunity for us to consider Gallop as a successor to Ben,” he said.

Mr Lowy described Buckley as one of Australia’s finest sports administrators.

“Ben has worked tirelessly for football both at home and abroad and has steered the game through a difficult period of consolidation,” he said.

“He has the respect and thanks of the board for his contribution and he will remain a valued friend of the game.

“I wish him well for the future.”

Mr Lowy said he was looking forward to working with Gallop to build on past achievements and grow the game into the future.

“Mr Gallop comes to the job well-equipped to meet the challenges ahead.

“He is an experienced sports administrator of high standing and is widely respected across all sports.”

Gallop is on leave overseas and will be available to media on his return in about two weeks. He will assume his new role with FFA before the end of the year with the commencement date to be confirmed soon.

www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/Ben-Buckley-to-step-down-as-FFA-CEO/48647

I've got a bad feeling about this.

plague
21-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Maybe give the bloke a chance first?
Novel concept in football I know but hey I'm keen.

sh10
21-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Nuh - during the Jets "mania" of early 2008, Gallop was aksed about whether it was good to have some friendly competition for the NRL in Newcastle.

Gallop said - "the Jets are no competition"....

Meet the new boss......same as the old boss.....

What else would you expect the CEO of the NRL to say?

The Dunster
21-08-2012, 07:13 PM
David Gallop is a yes man. He did everything News Limited asked him to do and now he will do everything that Uncle Frank asks of him.

As Jetmaster said "Meet the new boss......same as the old boss....."

GazFish35
21-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Buckley out.
Merry Griffmas.

A yes man!
What else is frank going to employ?

belchardo
21-08-2012, 07:47 PM

don't be stupid. how else do we maintain a persecution complex?

i for one welcome our new overlord. am keen to see what he can do for us.

stopper2
21-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Funny how at a lot of Junior clubs nowadays they prefer if you have a Football background with a Junior coaching Licence if you want to coach kids. It seems to be the CEO of the FFA no prior knowledge of Football is required!!!Just couldn't imagine this happening in European or South American countries.

westjet
21-08-2012, 08:57 PM
David Gallop is a yes man. He did everything News Limited asked him to do and now he will do everything that Uncle Frank asks of him.

As Jetmaster said "Meet the new boss......same as the old boss....."

Gallop may be a yes man (will hold my judgement until he has been in the job at least 1 day) but he also got league through some pretty tough times and considering they just got a billion dollars for tv rights without changing anything you would have to say hes left them in decent shape. Considering the way he dealt with the storm cheating the cap (a News Ltd team) I think it is a bit harsh to simply call him a yes man.
Surely he will do a better job than Buckley so at the worst its a step in the right direction.

Thomas477
21-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Funny how at a lot of Junior clubs nowadays they prefer if you have a Football background with a Junior coaching Licence if you want to coach kids. It seems to be the CEO of the FFA no prior knowledge of Football is required!!!Just couldn't imagine this happening in European or South American countries.

Okay, what does running the FFA have to do with a history of football? First and foremost I would have thought, is the ability to control and run a successful (in business terms) company. Gallop has done that for the past 10 years for the NRL/ARL/whatever. He has also shown that he can guide a professional sports league successfully (again, debatable, but he hasnt seen 3 clubs fold on him in 3 years). And finally, he was the leader of the NRL, whenever shit hit the fan, he was there to make a statement. He was seen, unlike Buckley who you would rarely see.

And surprisingly enough, knowing he can run a professional football league without running it into the ground, makes me feel alot better. So what if he doesnt know football? As long as he is seen to be in command of the FFA in the media and doesn't see anymore clubs fold in his reign, I will be happy.

As for coaching, there is a lot of differences between coaching a junior football team and running a business with a background of football. Coaching with a background in football is great, as is running a business with a background in successful businesses is great,

Disinterested Bystander
22-08-2012, 12:16 AM

Yep, coz having soccer people running Soccer Australia worked so well didn't it :yeahright:

seldom
22-08-2012, 01:23 AM
Surely he will do a better job than Buckley so at the worst its a step in the right direction.

Agree

GazFish35
22-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Not being a "football person" did John oneill no harm.
I think it helps them in this role, as they come to the table with little politics or personal agenda against other football people already in the system.

Imagine if someone from the VFF got the gig. NSWFF would pack up and leave.
Clean slates are needed in some cases and you only get that from outsiders.
Gallop can shuffle papers with the best of them, and the way he seemed to be 'boned' by RL might mean he's actually keen to show them what they let go.

My only concern is how big the gig is, all the federations, multiple national teams, players and coaces spread across the world etc etc but that concern would exist over anyone taking the reigns of football in Australia.

Pico
22-08-2012, 08:27 AM

I've hardly persecuted the bloke, my concerns are that he'll be just as hamstrung as Buckley was, due to Lowy's control.

Pico
22-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Former NRL boss David Gallop has been appointed as the CEO of Football Federation Australia

Marco Monteverde
The Courier-Mail

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2012/08/21/1226385/224488-david-gallop.jpg

Source: The Daily Telegraph

THE appointment of former NRL boss David Gallop as Football Federation Australia chief executive looms as the "circuit breaker" the round ball game needs to prosper.

In an oddly-timed announcement, Gallop was yesterday named as the replacement for Ben Buckley, who has two months left in a role he assumed in November 2006.

Why FFA would choose yesterday to make the announcement is anyone's guess.

Just hours earlier, the NRL announced their new billion-dollar TV deal, which was quickly followed by news that Laurie Daley had been appointed NSW Origin coach.

Throw in the sacking of New Zealand Warriors coach Brian McClennan and the retirement of St George Illawarra stalwart Ben Hornby and it was a day overflowing with news.

It also might have helped if FFA had waited until Gallop who left the NRL in June was back from his overseas holiday, considering Buckley has a couple of months left in his tenure.

Those 60-odd days are Buckley's most important period in the job, and perhaps a shot at redemption after overseeing Australia's failed bid for the 2022 World Cup and FFA's botched attempt to successfully expand the A-League.

Buckley's final task in a six-year tenure will be to deliver Australian football a new broadcast deal that will secure the sport's future.

"His legacy will be the television deal and we will know about this soon," said Bonita Mersiades, previously an ally of Buckley's at FFA before he had her removed as the organisation's head of corporate and public affairs in January 2010.

Buckley said the broadcast deal was "at the heart of the future of football in this country".

"It has been the most critical aspect of my work for the past 18 months," he said.

Mersiades added that Buckley was a "good man who had a big job to do".

"He did some things well and he did some things not so well," she said.

"I think the game is at a point where it needed a circuit breaker, and that usually means starting at the top with the CEO.

"I am sure all the football community appreciates Ben's diligence in the role, and looks forward to working with David Gallop to advance football in Australia further.

"The fundamentals of football in terms of participation and interest are strong, and have been for a very long time.

"The challenge has always been to convert that into a financially sustainable, professional national league underpinned by player and game development that supports a quality competition and international competitiveness."

FFA chairman Frank Lowy said Gallop was "well equipped" to meet the challenges football faced.

"He is an experienced sports administrator of high standing and is widely respected across all sports," Lowy said.

Great timing, nothing like a billion dollar NRL deal to shift the sacking of your CEO off the back page.

Pico
22-08-2012, 08:56 AM
The big guns of Australian sport appear to be set for a game of musical chairs

Tom Smithies
The Daily Telegraph

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/08/21/1226455/055014-120821-david-gallop.jpg

Former NRL chief executive David Gallop is to replace FFA boss Ben Buckley Source: News Limited

DAVID Gallop's switch to head Football Federation Australia opens the door for a game of top-level musical chairs at the top of Australian sport, with speculation already mounting over a possible return to the AFL for Ben Buckley.

Andrew Demetriou's No.2 at the AFL, Gill McLachlan, is seen as one of the favourites to succeed Gallop at the NRL, which would open the way for Buckley to return to the sport he played at the top level and previously administered for seven years.

But he was also last night being linked again with the vacant CEO's job at North Melbourne, the AFL club where he was vice-captain from 1990 to 1992 and where he played 74 games from 1986-1993.

Though Buckley ruled himself out of the job weeks ago, North Melbourne chairman James Brayshaw suggested yesterday on radio that he would re-approach his quarry now that his departure from the FFA had been confirmed.

"This is all absolute news for me, it'll be very interesting to see what he does because he is a very, very capable man," Brayshaw said in Melbourne.

Though Buckley's family has settled in the eastern suburbs of Sydney, he and his wife both hail from Melbourne.

A former Nike marketing executive in Japan, Buckley was central to the AFL's record television deal in 2005.

McLachlan, meanwhile, was reportedly approached by NRL headhunters last week about succeeding Gallop in the wake of Demetriou's insistence that he wanted to remain AFL boss "indefinitely".

I guess Football is not the only one who doesn't like promoting from within.

Pico
22-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Caution over Gallop appointment

http://images.smh.com.au/2012/08/21/3572381/art-353-gallop-300x0.jpg
Not a "football person" ... incoming chief executive of Football Federation Australia, David Gallop. Photo: Danielle Smith

KEY figures from across the football landscape have greeted the arrival of David Gallop as Football Federation Australia's new chief executive with degrees of optimism and caution.

Gallop was announced yesterday as Ben Buckley's replacement, with the latter announcing he will stand down from the position as soon as the much-anticipated media rights deal are concluded.

After a reign of much promise but mixed deliverance, Buckley has a final chance to shape his legacy by leaving football with a deal that gives it a fighting chance of establishing its position in a crowded sporting market.

However, how much money is left in the kitty for channels Nine, Seven and Foxtel is a problem that could seriously hinder the game's prospects of getting the kind of broadcast deal it has coveted since the A-League was announced in 2004.
Advertisement

It has been speculated a rights' deal worth $200 million over five years - less than a fifth of the total value of the NRL and AFL deals - is presently on the table, though the FFA are believed to value their rights at closer to $300 million.

Central Coast Mariners majority owner Peter Turnbull said Gallop had a track record that made him the right man to take over.

''I think it's an exciting appointment,'' he told the Herald last night. ''He's a well-known administrator who ran rugby league through a very difficult period - the Super League war and so on - and saw the sport come out the other side in a very strong position.''

Sydney FC chairman Scott Barlow praised the appointment but acknowledged there was plenty of work to be done.

''Even though I haven't met him, he's obviously well qualified for the role,'' he said. ''I'm looking forward to working with him and talking about the issues that are affecting the game and Sydney FC.''

However, not everyone was sure it was the right appointment, with ex-Socceroo-turned pundit Craig Foster wondering if the game would be better off being led by a ''football person''.

''My immediate concern is did we, in the next step for this game, need someone who understands the game, the landscape and the regulations,'' he said. ''It takes each person a significant amount of time to get up to speed with a different sport before they can they can feel comfortable making good decisions.

''We lack vision and long-term strategy. We're living day to day. We've got serious issues with the A-League and the first issue Gallop has to address is the relationship with the owners, because that is in crisis.''

Western Sydney Wanderers executive chairman Lyall Gorman - who Buckley insisted be handed the plum role at the start-up club - declined to comment last night on Gallop's appointment.

Buckley explained the reason he didn't resign immediately was so that he could put the final touches on the broadcast deal.

''The broadcast deal is at the heart of the future of football in this country and it has been the most critical aspect of my work for the past 18 months,'' he said. ''I told the chairman [Frank Lowy] some time ago I was determined to negotiate the best possible deal to underpin the future growth of the game but that once done I would like to work with he and the board to identify a successor.''

Lowy paid tribute to Buckley and said he would remain ''a valued friend of the game''. ''Ben has worked tirelessly for football both at home and abroad and has steered the game through a difficult period of consolidation,'' Lowy said.

Foster said Buckley could salvage some of his reputation by ''delivering a broadcast deal that at least makes [the A-League] sustainable in the short term so that someone like Gallop can look at a potential re-structure of the competition.''

With Gallop moving to the FFA and AFL chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan hotly tipped to take Gallop's former job as NRL chief executive, it would come as no surprise if Buckley - who was the AFL's chief operating officer before moving to the FFA - was to assume McLachlan's position at the AFL.

Buckley - who played 74 games for North Melbourne between 1986 and 1993 - remains a close friend of AFL supremo Andrew Demetriou and is still highly regarded in the code's most powerful circles.

Meanwhile, the Western Sydney Wanderers have announced the signing of former German under-20 international Jerome Polenz as their third visa player for the club's inaugural season.

www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/caution-over-gallop-appointment-20120821-24kma.html#ixzz24Dis3za9

You can always bank on Foster to pull out the "Football person" line, but when was the last time he followed it up with a name?

Pico
22-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Analysis: Gallop a circuit breaker at a time when football needs change
Written by: Bonita Mersiades

So the man who never felt like he was accepted as a ‘football person’ and, indeed never was, is going to be replaced by yet another man who is not a ‘football person’.

The key question is whether David Gallop will be an improvement on Ben Buckley. Time will tell but, if nothing else, it is a circuit breaker when the game needs a circuit breaker.

As an established CEO with a track record of running a major sport for 10 years, Gallop comes to the job with much more experience, credibility and authority than Buckley did six years ago as a 39 year old.

Buckley had a tough gig. Not only did he come into one of the most demanding sporting jobs in the country as a new and young CEO, but he knew little to nothing about football, had a Chairman who is a legend in his own lifetime, and had to fill John O’Neill’s big shoes who, because of his experience and expertise, was able to set the foundations of the A-League which mostly remain in place today.

Credited with much of the outcome for the previous AFL broadcast deal in 2005, expectations of Buckley were high and his overriding priority has always been the next broadcast deal for football which will be his enduring legacy. If, over the next two months, he is able to secure $300 million over five years , he will have left the sport in a better financial position than what he found it.

That, in turn, should give someone of Gallop’s calibre a springboard to advance the game further and address some of the structural, systemic and relationship issues that have stymied progress in recent years.

The fundamentals of football in terms of participation and interest are strong, and have been for a very long time – not just since 2003. The challenge has always been to convert that into a financially sustainable, professional national league underpinned by a strong and growing participation and fan base, and player and game development that supports a quality competition and international competitiveness.

www.sportsbusinessinsider.com.au/news/category/financial-and-governance/analysis-gallop-a-circuit-breaker-at-a-time-when-football-needs-change/

So $300m is the target, will be interesting if we get it and what we do with it.

Pico
22-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Goodwin Buys Into GVE's Jets

http://i.haymarket.net.au/Utils/ImageResizer.ashx?n=http%3a%2f%2fi.haymarket.net.a u%2fNews%2f20120822013400_138730151.jpg&w=653
NEW JET...Goodwin has taken flight in pre-season

IF THERE was a 'player of the pre-season' award, new Newcastle Jets wingback Craig Goodwin would be in with a good shout.

The signing from Melbourne Heart has scored six goals in the Jets' various trial matches to date, including a long-range bomb as the second of a brace in their spiteful cash with Wellington on Saturday.

Goodwin, who famously burst on to the A-League scene in the third Melbourne derby last season, has settled in perfectly in Newcastle and looks set for a break-out year as part of Gary van Egmond's youth revolution.

While another young Aussie left back in Jason Davidson made his Socceroos debut in Scotland last week, 20-year-old Goodwin is merely preparing for his first season as a senior professional, so while it would be a stretch to compare the two, a look at Goodwin's rather unlucky career trajectory shows that he could be a sleeping talent in a problematic position for Australia.

“I trialled at Crystal Palace when I was 15,” Goodwin told au.fourfourtwo.com. “I did quite well for two weeks and they wanted to keep me longer, but Neil Warnock, who was the manager at the time, told the youth coaches he wanted a centre half and a striker, and those were the only two spots remaining.

“Later, I trialled at Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the Scottish Premier League and earned a contract.

“But they got relegated in the last game of the season. I got a phone call a couple of days before the flight there telling me they'd cut the youth system.”

The Adelaide boy had a couple of unsuccessful trials for the Reds' National Youth League squad before then-Oakleigh Cannons coach Arthur Papas tracked him down on Facebook to invite him to the VPL on the recommendation of a former team-mate.

Goodwin's impact in Papas' rookie season, which culminated in a Grand Final loss, prompted a call from now-promoted Heart youth coach John Aloisi, and his brief run in the A-League late last season earned him his first international call-up via the Olyroos and brought about interest from a number of clubs around the country.

Papas, who has since moved on to further his blossoming coaching career in India, had been plucked by the Jets when Goodwin followed but although Papas' presence played some part in Goodwin's move to the Hunter, the player insisted it was van Egmond's vision for the club that ultimately lured him in.

“Arthur was a factor in my decision to come to Newcastle but when I looked at all the things that Newcastle had planned going forward, the team they were assembling, the playing style, the facilities they have, I felt for where I want to be which is to eventually go overseas and hopefully play in Europe, I felt Newcastle ticked all the boxes,” he said.

“Gary's philosophy is to play a high tempo game with a lot of pressing, and also a short passing game. All the younger players he's recruited, they're not just young players coming through, they've represented Australia at different levels and they suit the style he wants.

“To me it seems like a great plan and so far it's going really well. When the season comes hopefully we can show other teams this plan's going to work.

“We'll have to see how it pans out but sometimes when you build a new team it doesn't click straight away. If we can keep this team together for a couple of years and grow and get to know each other as players and people we better be one of the best sides in the league. But you never know, we could have a great season here.”

Goodwin's man-of-the-match debut was highlighted by a left-foot rocket on the half volley that Ante Covic did well to keep out of Victory's net.

His goal-scoring feats in pre-season have proved that the shot was no anomaly. Goodwin revealed the secrets to a potency rare for his position, even in the modern game.

“With the formation we've been playing it encourages the fullbacks to get forward,” he said. “I've always been a player that whenever I get a chance to shoot I just take it.

“I used to do individual training with a coach called John Walker who sadly passed away a couple of years ago but it involved a lot of shooting and fitness. I'd hit a shot, and if he could catch it, he'd boot the ball away and I'd have to sprint to get it and come back.

“After training I still like to work on my shooting and it's something my dad's encouraged as well. He's always saying: 'You've got a great left foot so if you've got a chance to ping one, just do it!'”

www.au.fourfourtwo.com/news/248660,goodwin-buys-into-gves-jets.aspx

Hoping he has a good season, might just be our best signing of the off season.

moses
22-08-2012, 10:18 AM
My only concern is how big the gig is, all the federations, multiple national teams, players and coaces spread across the world etc etc but that concern would exist over anyone taking the reigns of football in Australia.

That's the thing. Rugby, a busted code played essentially in two states on the planet against the world game. A defo step up for old mate.

And ,Gallop would still be running the ARL if it wasn't for the new "rugby league commission" what ever the fuk that is.

plague
22-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Gallop had to deal with the NSWRL, QRL, News ltd, Channel 9, ARL, CRL, all the individual clubs as well as the usual loudmouths trying to push their own agendas (re: Phil Gould). He is well versed in dealing with the politics of sport.
He's not here to re-write the effing offside rule, he's here to run a business. Something he has shown he can do.

As for Foster, as someone already pointed out, if he can come up with a name or better still a concrete plan, himself on how to run the league other than 'play like Barca', I might start listening to him.
Some of the best ideas of the A-League were thought up by non football people, maybe we need more of these type of people in our game, not less.

Disinterested Bystander
22-08-2012, 11:23 AM
That's the thing. Rugby, a busted code played essentially in two states on the planet against the world game. A defo step up for old mate.

And ,Gallop would still be running the ARL if it wasn't for the new "rugby league commission" what ever the fuk that is.

Hang on, this is league we're talking about, not the game they play in heaven.

As for Foz, he's the Tony Abbot of soccer 'journalism' - all contrarian negativity with absolutely nothing in the way of solutions/ideas offered :sigh:

MFKS
22-08-2012, 11:39 AM
:yay::All I can say is thank god this lunatic is going.

Hopefully he takes a couple of his USELESS associates with him and our game can start to go forward again.

Buckleys running of the game has been a FAILURE regardless of how good a TV deal he gets the game. He has COST us more by his incompetence.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

:yay::pissup:

Jetmaster
22-08-2012, 11:50 AM
It is common business strategy to put someone in charge who has no association with the body they are taking charge of. They will not be blinded by internal politics, get too involved because they think they know best or attempt to change the world on their own. A good CEO will make the final decisions but they will be based on the recommendations of the skilled people he has at his disposal.

He will delegate and empower where necessary, the people who have the skills and knowledge he doesn't have. Gallop has been employed because of his experience in big sporting business, not because he understands Barcelona's style or what "pressing" means.

I take this from my own experience in taking management of a group teams with no personal experience in their worktype, and turning around their performance by doing all the above - it is very possible. Buckley's problem was he wasn't managing within very well.

GazFish35
22-08-2012, 12:09 PM
You can always bank on Foster to pull out the "Football person" line, but when was the last time he followed it up with a name?

To be fair, he mentioned the MLS dude a bit.
And guardiola.

Bremsstrahlung
22-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Didn't see his latest comments but Craig Foster annoys me a great deal. He always seems to be criticising something but never offering a suggestion or being constructive in the criticism. The Tony Abbot of Australian Football. Just how he bags out coaches, saying who they should start playing, the type of player they need etc. If it's soooooo simple, why don't you do it? Step up, do something about it and show us how your master plan will work. Just like Phil Gould and NSW Origin, he reckon he knows all there is to know, what it takes to win Origin, prove it.

Personally, I'm pretty keen for Gallop to be in charge.With Buckley it always felt like there was an agenda being pushed. Hopefully somebody with no connection to any club, can take a unbiased look at the league and change it around. Would like to see him have a look at the TV contract proposal though. Just so Buckley doesn't give us one last "F you" before he goes.

russjaybee
22-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Would love to see Foster step up to a coaching role as well after all the shit he's talked.

MFKS
22-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Regardless of how much you want to see it happen it is highly unlikely to occur. Couple hundred k a year to write and spew his opinion or the pressure hassle and aggravation of running a club for less money. Which one do you think is gonna be taken??

Anyway find criticism of Foster harsh it is his role to get people discussing the issues concerning the game. It is easy to say he should have all the answers but his job is to pose the question and hopefully someone else will come up with the answer after the debate has been and done.

Wouldn't be much of a pundit if his only ability was to spin the positives and plug the status quo.

Robbie Slater on the other hand amazes me how he still has a gig. Seems to have NFI about the game and bludges of his CV of so many Socceroo Caps and winning the EPL as a bench warmer for Plastic Rovers

Grimario
22-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Comparing Fozzie to Abbott is a bit harsh. One gets paid to discuss/commentate issues regarding football, the other is supposedly aiming to be the leader of a freaking country. Jeebus.

Slater is far worse, provides complete nonsensical discussion/commentary (as opposed to some of fosters reasonably well thought out stuff) and with no solution either.

Grimario
22-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Shut up MFKS, stealing my thought process.

MFKS
22-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Shut up MFKS, stealing my thought process.

:rof::grin:

goaliepersempre
22-08-2012, 01:14 PM
So in the end it revolves around....

Deans Out

Buckley Out

Harper and Slater to get right the F Out.

:lulz:

belchardo
22-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Jets young guns in Young Socceroos squad
JAMES GARDINER
22 Aug, 2012 12:52 PM
NEWCASTLE Jets young guns Connor Chapman, Josh Brillante, Mitch Cooper and Adam Taggart have been named in Young Socceroos squad to contest a tournament in Vietnam next month.

The Young Socceroos will take on Iran, Vietnam and Uzbekistan over seven days in as part of the preparations for the Asian Football Confederations under-19 Championship which will be held in the United Arab Emirates in November.

Jets youth team keeper Jack Duncan was overlooked for the tournament.

The Jets have the largest representation of the A-League clubs. Sydney FC is next with three.

The squad goes into camp on Monday and returns to Australia on September 10.
The Jets players will be unavailable for A-League trials against Brisbane Roar in Tamworth (September 1) and Sydney FC at Leichhardt Oval (September 9).

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/jets-young-guns-in-young-socceroos-squad/2653598.aspx

militiamon
22-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Alright, time for some real news around here:

Jesic growing in confidence

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00048679-leadimage.jpg

Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets forward Marko Jesic says he is steadily growing in confidence after scoring one goal and setting up another in the Jets’ pre-season friendlies last week.

Jesic had a disrupted start to the pre-season as a result of a quadriceps injury, but has been working his way back to peak fitness with increased playing time in recent weeks.

Jesic was one of 12 Jets players who were back in training on Wednesday while the rest of the squad enjoys a week’s rest.

“The first couple of weeks after the injury I’ve slowly been building back into it,” Jesic said.

“It’s probably not where I want it to be just yet, but it’s not too far off either and everything has gone in the right direction so far.

“The extra sessions this week should hopefully put me up there where the other boys are but there’s still another six or seven weeks until the season starts so it should be fine anyway.”

As his match fitness has improved, Jesic has been able to make more of an impact in the Jets’ recent trial matches.

He set-up Jobe Wheelhouse’s goal in the Jets’ 1-0 win over Rockdale last Tuesday and followed that up with the third goal in the Jets’ 3-1 win over Wellington at Thomas and Coffey Park last Saturday.

“Every striker wants to score goals and if not, set one up,” Jesic said.

“If you tick one of those boxes then most of the time you can be pretty happy with your performance.

“I’m slowly getting my confidence back, I’ve only played a few games now and to get a couple of assists and a goal is definitely good for the confidence.”

While Jesic admitted there is plenty of competition for places in the Jets forward line, he said his focus is just to make the most of every opportunity he gets.

“All you can do is your best and see what happens,” he said.

“In terms of attackers and the number of players we have, the more we’ve got, the better.

“It’s a challenge for myself and all the other players to show that we deserve one of those spots by doing the best you can in games and training.”

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jesic-growing-in-confidence/48679

pistolpete
22-08-2012, 08:48 PM
If that is his best, I would hate to see his worst!

belchardo
22-08-2012, 08:57 PM
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/248746,shield-leaves-ffa-referees-head-role.aspx

shields has quit.

militiamon
22-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Finally people might stop getting his name wrong.

boz-monaut
22-08-2012, 09:45 PM
yes I've been calling him cu nt for all these years

Thomas477
22-08-2012, 09:47 PM
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/248746,shield-leaves-ffa-referees-head-role.aspx

shields has quit.

Thought that was announced a few weeks back?

q-money
23-08-2012, 04:26 AM
so much farken tick boxing going around the keys these days

au revoir
23-08-2012, 11:23 AM
expect the bike chain back in the mail

Jetmaster
24-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Photo on Twitter of R Griff taking part in the season ad...

https://twitter.com/ALeague/status/238820321971564544/photo/1

zorse
24-08-2012, 04:57 PM
So does that mean we will actually be in the season ad? lol

hawk
24-08-2012, 05:56 PM
no

coastiehater
27-08-2012, 01:27 PM
By Aidan Ormond: Follow him on Twitter @AidoThe442Ed
Aug 27 2012 11:07
Get more on: sydney | fc | barcelona | real | madrid | la | liga | epl | a-league
EITHER Barcelona, Real Madrid or a powerhouse EPL club could play against Sydney FC at ANZ Stadium in what would be a huge pre-season friendly for local fans in 2013.
au.fourfourtwo.com understands that two local promoters have proposals for the tour match to be played in Sydney - most likely in July.

The clubs being talked about include either Barca, Real Madrid or an unnamed EPL club with a big fan-base in Australia.

Negotiations are continuing and if the one-off game comes off, should prove a massive boost to the local game.

Barcelona in particular would be a huge drawcard given their brand of football and the fact they have arguably the world’s best player in Leo Messi.

Other drawcards Iniesta, Xavi, Villa and Fabregas would make such a game one of the greatest ever tour matches in Australia.

And for Real Madrid – who have made the US their off-season base in recent years – the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo would be just as big a drawcard as Messi. Other stars for the Whites include Alonso, Casillas, Ozil and Higuain.

In other news, Sydney FC are thought to be close to signing Indigenous teenage defender Keifer Dotti to a senior deal.

The powerfully built Rockdale Suns starlet has featured in recent Sydney FC trial games. The 18-year-old was identified last season by then youth team coach Ian Crook as an NYL player for the Sky Blues

plague
27-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Wow, Barca or Madrid huh.

In other words probably Motherwell or AEK.

Grimario
27-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Wow, Barca or Madrid huh.

In other words probably Motherwell or AEK.

EPL... so it will be Al Ahly Sports Club, most decorated side in the Egyptian Premier League.

goaliepersempre
27-08-2012, 09:06 PM
So does that mean we will actually be in the season ad? lol

there was an add during the half time break of the Arsenal game.. with Regan and pepz in it.. Showing the beach and our win away against melbs...

OmeletteDuFromage
27-08-2012, 10:01 PM
there was an add during the half time break of the Arsenal game.. with Regan and pepz in it.. Showing the beach and our win away against melbs...

Yeah, I saw a bit of that o.O

Hamma12
28-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Ryan Griffiths down but not out for Jets

FIRST-choice striker Ryan Griffiths limped out of training yesterday but is expected to be available for the Jets friendly against A-League champions Brisbane Roar in Tamworth on Saturday.
The Jets returned to training for the final six-week block of their pre-season which includes four games against A-League opposition.
There was no easing back into things as coach Gary van Egmond put the squad through a gruelling 90-minute session at Ray Watt Oval.
Griffiths sent a scare through the camp when he tumbled to the ground clutching his left knee in the final moments of a nine-versus-nine game which completed the hit-out.
The athletic forward lost balance when the ball bobbled as he went to shoot. He sat flexing the knee before hobbling over the byline where he received treatment.
The Jets were not available to the media yesterday but the Herald understands that the injury is only minor and unlikely to prevent him from lining up against the Roar.
After spending most of last season on the left of a front three, Griffiths has been moved to the point of the attack.
Van Egmond hopes to sign an overseas No.9 but until then Griffiths has been given the job of leading the line.
His back-up, Adam Taggart, is one of three Jets alongside Connor Chapman and Mitch Cooper in Vietnam with the Young Socceroos.
Marko Jesic, who had the start of his pre-season disrupted by a quadriceps strain, scored a goal and set another up off the bench in the spiteful 3-1 win over Wellington at Weston 10 days ago and is another option.
Veteran Michael Bridges has resumed training after two weeks in England to visit his ill father.
Dominik Ritter (quad) and Ruben Zadkovich, who had an ingrown toenail removed and has a minor hamstring strain, were on light duties yesterday but are expected to play against the Roar.
Defender Tiago was due back from Brazil last night but is suspended for the remaining trials for his part in the all-in brawl in the Jets’ 3-1 win over the Phoenix in Weston this month.
The Jets leave for Tamworth on Thursday for the inaugural Northern Inland Football A-League Challenge at Scully Park at 6.30pm.After the Roar, they meet Sydney FC at Leichhardt Oval (September 9), Western Sydney Wanderers at Wanderers Oval in a members only event (September 15) and Sydney FC for a second time at Budgewoi Oval (September 22).

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/ryan-griffiths-down-but-not-out-for-jets/2655606.aspx

Thomas477
28-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Nice to see the Jets are still playing nice with The Herald.

Jetmaster
28-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Nice to see the Jets are still playing nice with The Herald.

Hardly surprising - the Herald has gone gangbusters at Tinks the last week or two. It is HSGs ongoing response.

hawk
28-08-2012, 02:45 PM
There was no easing back into things as coach Gary van Egmond put the squad through a gruelling 90-minute session at Ray Watt Oval.
Wow, all 90 minutes. 2 hours minimum gaz, pick it up

Thomas477
28-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Hardly surprising - the Herald has gone gangbusters at Tinks the last week or two. It is HSGs ongoing response.

Not just that, they've been doing now for a while. Even before AISgate, they werent available for comment.

But yeh, Tinklergate over the pass few weeks wouldnt have helped.

Pico
29-08-2012, 10:16 AM
The real big Del
http://images.smh.com.au/2012/08/28/3591278/art-frontpage2-620x349.jpg
An Italian Stallion for the Sky Blues? ... Alessandro del Piero is the man Sydney FC want to replace Nicky Carle. Photo: Getty Images

Italian superstar Alessandro del Piero is the man Sydney FC want to replace Nicky Carle as their marquee player, and the Sky Blues have already made an approach to the Juventus legend, voted by FIFA as one of the top 125 players in history.

Del Piero, 37, is the fourth-highest capped (91 games) Italian international of all-time, and played more games (513) for Juventus than anyone else before he pulled down the curtain on his illustrious career with the bianconeri after last season's Coppa Italia final in May.

Since then del Piero has been linked to moves to the Middle East, China, Argentina, the United States and Switzerland, but after two months as a free agent has yet to commit to a new club. This week's surprise departure of Carle to the United Arab Emirates has suddenly opened the door for the Sky Blues to enter the race for a player who would galvanise Sydney's notoriously fickle Italian football community in a heartbeat.

Del Piero, reportedly still in prime condition, would unquestionably be the biggest signing in A-League
Advertisement

history. Such is his immense stature as a footballer, and an ambassador, that the Sky Blues could realistically expect several sell-out crowds at Allianz Stadium - something previous marquee stars Dwight Yorke and Juninho both failed to achieve.

''We're going to go for it as hard as we can,'' said chief executive Tony Pignata. ''The board is 100 per cent behind this. We believe he's the perfect marquee player.

''We've already made an approach to his management team, and we're waiting to hear back. This is not a gimmick, it's deadly serious. To get a player of his stature would be huge, and we know that.

''I can't say whether we'll be able to compete with whatever other offers he may have in a financial sense, but I do know playing over the summer, in a city like Sydney, gives us a real selling point.''

www.smh.com.au/sport/football/the-real-big-del-20120828-24yvc.html#ixzz24syESRw4

SFC bringing back the bling?

Pico
29-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Football Federation Australia holds breath over TV rights deal

by: Ray Gatt
August 29, 2012 12:00AM

FOOTBALL Federation Australia and Fox Sports have moved a step closer to finalising the long- awaited television rights deal for Australian soccer following a further round of intense negotiations yesterday morning.

The Australian understands FFA and Fox Sports met in Sydney and an announcement could come as early as next week as the code continues to nervously hold its breath for the final outcome of what is widely regarded as the most crucial deal in Australian soccer history.

Exactly a week after the Australian Rugby League Commission sealed a $1.025 billion deal for the sport, FFA and Fox Sports executives were yesterday tight-lipped and would not confirm or deny a meeting had taken place.

An FFA spokesman issued a statement later which read: "Talks are continuing with subscription and free-to-air broadcasters about the rights to international and domestic football. The talks are at an advanced stage and FFA anticipates a positive outcome for the game."

It is no secret the game's head body is holding out for a $200 million financial windfall over five years for the pay-TV and free-to-air rights - a considerable rise on the $125m, seven-year deal with Fox that ends next year.

The concern, however, is that there might not be enough money left in the bank after last year's billion-dollar AFL deal and the recent rugby league contract.

Further complicating the issue was yesterday's announcement that Fox Sports has signed a deal, along with the Nine Network, for the rights to cover the International Cricket Council's major tournaments - the World Twenty-20, the one-day 50-over World Cup, the Women's World Cup and the under 19s World Cup - until 2015.

The local Big Bash 20-20 cricket competition, which is shown exclusively on Fox Sports, is also attracting huge interest for its television rights and is seen as a serious competitor to the A-League, although it is played over a much shorter period.

Also at issue for FFA is the free-to-air component of its new deal.

The Australian has been told that one-time front-runner Channel Ten has not been back to the negotiation table for "quite some time" and that SBS, which used to be the home of Australian soccer, was now in the box seat.

Former television sport guru David Salter believes Ten, which lost out on the rugby league rights, "would be unlikely to buy their way into an A-League deal".

"The viewer numbers on Fox weren't spectacular in FTA terms, while the coverage costs around the country are substantial," Salter said.

"But if the best game of the round was already being covered for Fox Sports, TEN might run it late night just so FFA could tell their sponsors they were on network television. But I doubt much cash, if any, would be involved."

Salter, a former head of sport at the ABC and the Seven Network, cast doubt on the code's ability to get the $35m-$40m five-year deal.

"Soccer makes more sense as a pay-TV proposition, where it fills up hundreds of hours of airtime, but I suspect the money they are hoping to get is out of the question in the current climate," he said.

"Sport is certainly the main driver of subscriptions, but the penetration of pay in Australia now seems to have levelled off at just under 20 per cent of households.

"League and AFL underpin that level and I doubt there's any convincing data to show that the A-League coverage has made much of a contribution to subscription rates.

"But you'd have to ask Foxtel about that."

www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football-federation-australia-holds-breath-over-tv-rights-deal/story-e6frg7mf-1226460244401

Might not be long to go now till its all settled, hopefully FFA get exactly what they are looking for.

GazFish35
29-08-2012, 07:57 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/wanderers-the-sum-of-their-parts-not-the-past-20120829-2506o.html

Cockerills best ever article.

Western Sydney Wanderers coach Tony Popovic directs traffic at training. Photo: Wolter Peeters
Western Sydney Wanderers fingered as Sydney United in disguise? You have to be kidding. Sadly, people who should know better, among them former Socceroo Ray Richards, seem all too ready to peddle the myth.

Normally it wouldn't matter too much. This, after all, is a game built on conspiracy theories. And there have been no more enduring conspiracy theories than those mired in Balkan politics. For more than three decades, this has been the hotspot for the game.

So here's the rub. The Wanderers are taking their first tentative steps as the A-League's newest team. Their selling point is to become the sum of the parts of the entire Western Sydney region. That includes all sides of the Balkan divide. Being put only in the Croatian corner isn't just wrong, it hurts. Hurts the Wanderers, hurts the A-League. Those pushing that barrow need to take a long, hard, look in the mirror. In this case, the idle gossip is doing far more damage than it's worth.

So what's brought it about? The coaching appointments, fundamentally. Head coach Tony Popovic and his assistant, brother-in-law Ante Milicic, played for Sydney United, and have Croatian heritage. Does it matter they were born here, and played for the Socceroos? It does, and it should. The same goes for goalkeeper Ante Covic – another fall guy for the Chinese whisperers.

Advertisement
True enough, the first two imports signed by the Wanderers (Dino Kresinger and Mateo Poljak) came from Croatia. So what? Does the fact that John van't Schip once signed Rutger Worm make Melbourne Heart a Dutch club? Was Rini Coolen guilty of the same charge because he signed Andy Slory for Adelaide United? Are Perth Glory a Scottish club because Ian Ferguson signed countryman Steve McGarry? What about Sydney FC, when former Czech coach Vitezslav Lavicka signed Karol Kisel not once, but on two occasions? Popovic went to Croatia for his first two foreigners because he knows the league, and the players were available at the right price. His judgment should stand or fall on their performance, not their passport.

Sadly, just as the steam was going out of the rumour mill, the Wanderers turned up to play at Sydney United, and there was trouble. Not the level of trouble portrayed by the usual couple of media outlets, but enough to put some heat back into the discussion. Starting off the back foot, Wanderers boss Lyall Gorman has since been telling everyone that by the time his operation is bedded down, there will be just five employees from about 80 who have a Croatian background. It's a telling fact, but the hard part is to get people to listen.

Why all this matters is because sooner rather than later, the game needs to leave this baggage behind. There was a time when nationalists used clubs like Sydney United, like Footscray, like Preston, like Sydney Olympic, as a forum for their grievances. It is a part of the game's history, and can't, and shouldn't, be whitewashed. But where it counts – on the ground in the old Yugoslavia – things have moved on.

Just recently, I was in Montenegro. Every second car had a Croatian number plate. The owner of my hotel in Kotor, a Serb, crosses the border to have lunch in Dubrovnik at least once a week. You can have adult conversations about culture, religion and politics, and nobody pulls a knife, or a gun. You can even talk about the war if you want to, but everyone would rather leave that at the door. I've also been to Slovenia, and to Croatia, and I've seen this level of maturity evolve as the conflict becomes more distant. And yet in a corner of south-western Sydney, there are still some morons – and I only use that term because this is a family newspaper – who prefer to hold a grudge, and ambush football matches to make their point.

That is manna from heaven for hair-trigger police and flash-happy photographers, as we've seen, once again. True enough, Sydney United should have got rid of their hooligan fringe a long time ago. That apathy has come at an enormous cost. And it is a sad fact that even in the NSW Premier League, games between Sydney United and Serbian-backed Bonnyrigg White Eagles still have to be held behind closed doors. Not that long ago, Mark Rudan, a former Sydney United player, was abused by supporters when he ventured to Bonnyrigg as coach of the visiting team. It wasn't Sydney United, but Rockdale City. Some people just don't want to let go.

Eventually they will, given time, and space. Which is why resurrecting old prejudices by pointing the finger at the Wanderers needs to stop. The club doesn't need it, or deserve it. In the meantime, I'll give the final word to Alex Kennedy, who sent me this email in the wake of the so-called "riot" at Edensor Park. It makes more sense than I ever could.

"Dear Michael,

I read with great interest your article on Sydney United mainly because I have had the honour to be associated over the last year with many of the real members of this club. Prior to this year I have been pretty much a rugby union supporter and had not taken much interest in the round ball game...there is a good deal of very talented, well-behaved young men coming through the ranks of Sydney soccer and in particular Sydney United. The players from under 13 and up clearly demonstrate high respect for their coaches, managers, the patrons and the club itself. Therefore it is such a shame to see the ill disciplined, non-membered rabble attend games for the sole purpose of creating upset. The behaviour of the rabble is so divorced from that of the true membership. I have come to know many of the Croatian and other nationality members of this club and can attest to their wonderful character and behaviour. Many residents of greater Sydney could learn a lot from them. Every code has or has had this problem so the soccer officials could learn from the experiences of the other codes. The ball is now at the feet of the clubs and the association to fix this problem, so I wish them the very best to ensure the world game is as appreciated in Australia as it is in the rest of the world."

Hear, hear

Anyone read Slater pile of shit on the weekend?
Cockerills has effectively told Robbie to STFU with this piece.

I'm Cockerills biggest hater, but this piece is spot on in so may ways.

Zico
29-08-2012, 08:35 PM
SFC bringing back the bling?
He will eat the A League up and spit it out.

Blackmac79
29-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Might not be long to go now till its all settled, hopefully FFA get exactly what they are looking for.

It's interesting. I think that the deal from all reports will be between $40-60million a year for the A-league rights (which is huge considering that they were throw ins for the the socceroos ($17mill/year) 7 Years ago.)

The closer to the $60million we get the easier the future will be. where $40million will mean stability but probably at the expense of growth.

GazFish35
29-08-2012, 11:23 PM
What gets me is the figures bandied around for NRL.
1 billion for 5 seasons..... Audience about 5 million
EPL
5 billion for 3 seasons.... Audience about 640million.

Channel 9 are going to go broke.

militiamon
30-08-2012, 02:04 AM
Fair point, although keep in mind that the $5 billion figure for the EPL is only for the domestic rights, so only an audience that is some fraction of the UK population of 60 million.

I think the international broadcasting rights were over $2 billion for 3 years, but those are pretty transient figures, and some people expected them to match or even better the domestic rights by 2013. I'm skeptical about the 640 million figure, that might be the number who have access, but I highly doubt it would be the size of the regular audience.

Throw in something like the NFL as well, the next deal for 8 years is worth a combined $40 billion, $5 billion per year. Not too bad comparing the NRL $0.2 billion per year.

q-money
30-08-2012, 03:16 AM
cockerill's article is a disgrace

most of these bans are a disgrace

if it was happening at our club there would be an uproar and rightly so

Disinterested Bystander
30-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Fair point, although keep in mind that the $5 billion figure for the EPL is only for the domestic rights, so only an audience that is some fraction of the UK population of 60 million.

I think the international broadcasting rights were over $2 billion for 3 years, but those are pretty transient figures, and some people expected them to match or even better the domestic rights by 2013. I'm skeptical about the 640 million figure, that might be the number who have access, but I highly doubt it would be the size of the regular audience.

Throw in something like the NFL as well, the next deal for 8 years is worth a combined $40 billion, $5 billion per year. Not too bad comparing the NRL $0.2 billion per year.

Spot on, those sort of figures are a bit like those bandied about with the Olympics and World Cup - "2 billion viewers" or "half the world's population" etc. So basically a random figure, greater than the previous 'event', plucked from the air.

Hamma12
30-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Kennedy out, Wheelhouse in doubt for Jets game

JETS leading goalkeeper Ben Kennedy will not make the journey north to Tamworth this afternoon and captain Job Wheelhouse is in doubt after they both missed this morning’s training session at Ray Watt Oval.
Newcastle play two-time A-League champions Brisbane Roar at Tamworth’s Scully Park on Saturday night in the inaugural Northern Inland Football A-League Challenge.
The trial is expected be the Jets’ toughest assignment of the pre-season so far.
Kennedy developed swelling in his right knee following Monday’s training session and will have the fluid drained in a bid to have him fit for the Jets next trial against Sydney FC at Leichhardt Oval on September 9.
The injury to the Thornton junior will give new gloveman Mark Birighitti another chance to impress coach Gary van Egmond in the battle to be the Jets starting goalkeeper in their A-League opener on October 7 against Adelaide United at Hunter Stadium.
Wheelhouse is suffering from pain in his big toe and skipped training as a precaution.
The midfield general will travel to Tamworth and a decision will be made later on his fitness.
Defender Joshua Brillante will also miss the trip to the country music capital to recover from a hip flexor injury that ruled him out of the Young Socceroos tour to Vietnam.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/280809/kennedy-out-wheelhouse-in-doubt-for-jets-game/?cs=303

De-Champ
30-08-2012, 10:02 PM
cockerill's article is a disgrace

most of these bans are a disgrace

if it was happening at our club there would be an uproar and rightly so
On a lighter note
Didn't you just have lunch in split?

Blackmac79
31-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Cockerill took a redundancy yesterday.

boz-monaut
31-08-2012, 09:55 AM
confirmed - http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/08/14/the-flight-from-fairfax-whos-leaving-the-building/

who's going to push his agenda now?

sammydog
31-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Sydney have signed Del Piero.
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/249674,sydney-sign-del-piero.aspx

Sydney Sign Del Piero

By Staff Writer
Aug 31 2012 19:44
Get more on: delpiero | juventus | sydney | aleague
SYDNEY FC have snared Italian football legend Alessandro Del Piero who has agreed to finalise details on a contract with the Sky Blues after rejecting all other offers.

Sydney FC Chief Executive Officer Tony Pignata will fly to Italy over the weekend to conclude the signing of the contract in what is the biggest signing in Australian sports history.

“This is huge for Sydney FC, huge for the A-League and huge for Australian football,” said chairman Scott Barlow.

“We feel honoured that Alessandro has decided to play for Sydney FC and we share his excitement that a move to Sydney FC will create a lasting legacy for football in this country.

“I want to thank Tony Pignata and Lou Sticca for the outstanding work over the last few days in progressing discussions with Alessandro and look forward to Tony finalising the contract in Italy over the coming days.”

31-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Wonder where we are at with a new signing ?.

GazFish35
31-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Sydney have signed Del Piero.
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/249674,sydney-sign-del-piero.aspx

He hasn't signed yet!

howardyou
31-08-2012, 11:12 PM
This should help the TV deal.

Jetmaster
01-09-2012, 10:21 AM
This is now becoming open warfare between HSG and the Herald....how bad this is we don't really know. The Herald is sinking with Fairfax so maybe it wants to go with a bang !

Doctors chase Knights and Jets over debts

JUST a year ago, Nathan Tinkler was flying high after his stunning coup to save the financially embattled Newcastle Knights and Jets.
See your ad here

It catapulted the self-made mining magnate and racing tycoon to hero status in the Hunter.

But now the region’s flagship sporting clubs are embroiled in a debt dispute with creditors chasing outstanding bills, some almost a year old. Medical providers, tasked with keeping the players on the pitch, have joined a growing list of businesses chasing money from Tinkler’s Hunter-based companies.

Fed up, businesses came to the Newcastle Herald, some to say they had to employ debt collectors to try to extract money from the Knights and Jets for unpaid bills.

One medical provider has refused to see players without payment up front, and another began billing players direct, due to continued difficulty getting payment from the clubs.

Phone calls, emails and letters to the clubs and Hunter Sports Group requesting payment for outstanding medical bills are regularly ignored.

“We don’t have these kinds of problem with other patients. It’s absolutely unbelievable,” a doctor said.

Other team suppliers and contractors joined the list of debtors, with several saying they had not been paid for at least six months.

Mr Tinkler’s Sydney-based public relations spokesman declined to answer questions the Herald submitted yesterday, instead providing a statement from Hunter Sports Group chief executive Troy Palmer (see below for the full statement).

More than 60 business owners from Scone to Queensland have spoken to the Herald in the past three weeks detailing difficulty getting paid for work, goods or services supplied to Tinkler-backed companies including Bolkm, Buildev, Patinack Farm and Hunter Sports Group.

Debts range from a few hundred dollars to almost $200,000.

Many have declined to be named because they fear never being paid, and the medical providers expressed concern about players’ privacy.

Following the Herald’s interest in the issue, some creditors have received payment in full and others in part.

One Hunter Sports Group supplier said it had received advice from its accountant to stop work if payment was not received in the next week.

“We are basically working for free at the moment,’’ the business owner said. ‘‘It’s been going on for months and we just can’t keep doing it.

“When Con [Constantine] had the Jets it was bad enough trying to get payment, but at least he tried to pay his bills. It’s worse just simply being ignored by them now.”

Others said they had sent final letters of demand to the Knights for outstanding bills, but received no response.

Some have been successful in using the threat of withholding crucial services to force the clubs to pay, but said subsequent bills were ignored.

“We thought when Tinkler took over the clubs there would be no problems but the situation is out of hand,” a supplier said.

“The debt is affecting our ability to pay our creditors and it’s climbing all the time.”

In an open letter to Knights fans published in the Herald last year, Tinkler wrote: “We have listened to previous concerns, and now we can provide a full decade of financial security. This will be underpinned by a sustainable financial and business model.

‘‘Additional working capital will be provided if required.’’

The Herald reported earlier this month that Hunter Sports Group is locked in a dispute with the state government over debts at Hunter Stadium.

The debts, which neither side will reveal, have been a sticking point in the drawn-out negotiations for a new 10-year access agreement for the venue.

It is understood that up to $30,000 in outstanding strata fees is owed by Tinkler’s company Boardwalk Investments for offices at The Boardwalk, Honeysuckle.

Lake Group Strata office manager Brad Gribble said due to privacy restrictions he was unable to comment on the matter.

Residents told the Herald a meeting was scheduled for September 10 to discuss possible legal action.

A spokesman for Newcastle businessman Stephen Forgacs confirmed this week he was locked in a legal battle with a Tinkler-linked company over the possible sale of Mr Forgacs’s heliport site at Steel River.

HSG says it has no cash-flow problems

By Troy Palmer, CEO of the Hunter Sports Group

I CAN assure you there are no cash-flow concerns at HSG. All suppliers are being paid, will continue to be paid and will always be paid.

It is disappointing that the Herald continues to drive this smear campaign against Nathan all because the Knights and the Jets have introduced a professional media policy which does not allow the Herald to run the agendas of both clubs.

This policy was requested by the players as they have no trust in the integrity of the journalists at the Newcastle Herald.

We are constantly reviewing our budgets, just as other organisations, particularly the Herald and its parent Fairfax [Media], are doing at the moment – but not as dramatically. Nathan Tinkler and HSG employs over 500 people, with most of them living in the Hunter Region. A huge benefit to the local community.

It was Nathan Tinkler and his HSG that saved the Jets when the FFA was going to pull the licence from Newcastle. It was Nathan and HSG who saved the Knights when the ATO and other creditors were going to wind up the Knights. In saving the town’s two main sporting teams he has so far spent in excess of $20million.

Newcastle Herald statement

By Chad Watson, Editor

THE Newcastle Herald stands by the integrity of its award-winning team of journalists.
See your ad here

This newspaper has a long and proven record of championing the interests and issues of the Hunter and its communities.

We stand up for our region and our readers, providing a voice for their concerns.

The Herald has been a proud supporter of the Newcastle Knights and Jets since their inception, celebrating their successes and lamenting their losses.

Thomas477
01-09-2012, 11:46 AM
:popcorn:

This should be interesting. If it was introduced by the players, you can't blame them after the AIS incident. I'm surprised Palmer has actually called it a smear campaign, would have thought they would have tried to be a little bit more diplomatic. And for Chad's response, standard really. Would have been better though if it didn't say "see your ad here" in the middle of it :gent:

Either way :popcorn:

Grimario
01-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Award winning journalists? Does that mean they have won the Newcastle/Hunter region award over the might of the Star, Post and Mercury publications?

GazFish35
01-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I noticed the article online doesn't allow comments.

Edit- it now does!

GazFish35
01-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Don't think theyll publish mine.

hauss
02-09-2012, 02:21 AM
i don't read the herald anymore. their journalsm has become poisonous to our city. take this story as an example, they didn't have one single creditor who would put their name to a quote but the herald printed the story anyway. it reads more like gossip than journalism but we are supposed to trust that the herald to have our community's best interests at heart. problem is, i have seen them put more than a few innocent people on the rack by their 'award winning' journalism. i'm not taking hsg's side on this, but most newspapers would wait until there was a solid story, like someone taking hsg to court, before it became newsworthy.

sammydog
02-09-2012, 08:48 AM
i don't read the herald anymore. their journalsm has become poisonous to our city. take this story as an example, they didn't have one single creditor who would put their name to a quote but the herald printed the story anyway. it reads more like gossip than journalism but we are supposed to trust that the herald to have our community's best interests at heart. problem is, i have seen them put more than a few innocent people on the rack by their 'award winning' journalism. i'm not taking hsg's side on this, but most newspapers would wait until there was a solid story, like someone taking hsg to court, before it became newsworthy.

Come on now hauss, they do their research. They heard someone said something. That should be enough research for award winning journalism (to be fair, it doesn't say what the award was) when wikipedia is giving no info.

q-money
02-09-2012, 08:59 AM
no smoke without fire

no team without tinks

De-Champ
02-09-2012, 08:09 PM

What part do you not believe. Basically the article is spot on about the slow/non payment of creditors. Do not know about the award winning jurnalism etc,.

MFKS
02-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Found this on the NNSW Facebook site. Can't believe it slipped thru the cracks this week as it was posted thursday 30th August

In what could be the greatest ever boost to football in the north of NSW, Northern NSW Football and Lake Macquarie City Council have announced a joint bid to construct the region’s first state-of-the-art football facility.

The proposed $11 million facility would be built on the existing under-utilised football facility at Speers Point Park, in Speers Point, Lake Macquarie.

The revitalised site would feature multiple five-a-side synthetic football courts, two full-size synthetic football pitches, as well as a multi-purpose administration building, training facilities and car parking for more than 100 vehicles, all on a centrally-located site close to transport links.

The proposed project has the backing of Hunter Region MPs, the Region’s national sporting teams, the Newcastle Jets and Newcastle Knights, Northern NSW Football’s member zones, and associated clubs, schools and sports groups.

Northern NSW Football has committed up to $4 million to the project and Lake Macquarie City Council has lodged a claim for a $7.3 million funding grant from the NSW Government, under the Hunter Infrastructure and Investment Fund.

The Department of Regional Australia, Local Government, Arts and Sport has contributed $140,000 for a Feasibility Study on the project, under its Community Infrastructure Grants Program.

If the NSW Liberals and Nationals Government approves the funding grant, Council and Northern NSW Football could begin construction by April 2014.

Northern NSW Football CEO, David Eland, said: “We are incredibly excited – this project provides the single greatest catalyst for our sport’s growth and professional development in Northern NSW Football history.”

“It will provide a much-needed hub for our stakeholders from across the Region for activities including football training, coaching and referee accreditation – but the scope of the facility goes well beyond our members.

“The planning for the facility took into account an immediate catchment of a 10km radius around the facility, which incorporates five State Government electorates – Swansea, Newcastle, Wallsend, Charlestown and Lake Macquarie.

“Football is the largest team sport in our Region with over 21,500 registered players but, in addition to this, the facility will cater for the wider community, with access for schools and other groups.

“The facility will provide the best in playing surfaces as well as five-a-side courts to encourage full community participation. The courts will also be a revenue source, allowing us to inject increased funding into grassroots football.”

The proposal is consistent with Government Policy, in particular the NSW Government’s State Plan and Objectives, with an emphasis on the ability to attract significant tournaments and events to the Region.

Lake Macquarie City Council’s Acting Manager Community Planning, Stephen McAlister, said: “Football is the most popular team sport in Lake Macquarie and has a strong participation and supporter base in the City and across the Region.”

“We are very supportive of this plan to build state-of-the-art facilities to develop the sport even further by increasing the community’s access to an under-utilised facility.”

seldom
02-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Been in the wings for a while...lets hope if it goes ahead everyone has a chance to use this facility not just the select few

Jetmaster
03-09-2012, 09:31 AM
I think it was in the paper the day the Herald changed its format on the web - I meant to copy it here then.

belchardo
04-09-2012, 06:55 AM
tinks being sued by mirvac.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/299609/tinkler-misses-payment/?cs=303

militiamon
04-09-2012, 01:51 PM
James Brown out for 4-6 weeks, that will keep him out of the starting line-up for the first few A-League games at least.

It will be interesting to see who GVE looks to now as I think he saw Brown as a starter. There's Ribeiro, Bridges and Jesic who are probably in the mix, possibly Virgili as well.

seldom
04-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Jesic lol

Jeterpool
04-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Sure it was typo, or written in no particular order.

true waterboy
04-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Gary van Egmond extends Jets contract Tuesday, 4 September 2012 2:15 PM

The Newcastle Jets is pleased to announce coach Gary van Egmond has extended his tenure with the Club for another year.

The 2007/2008 Championship winning coach, who is in his second year of a two-year contract, will now be at the helm until at least the end of the 2013/14 season.

“It is exciting news for the Club and for the playing group to have Gary extend his contract at the Jets,” CEO Robbie Middleby said.

“Gary fits the mould of what we are doing at the Jets and we have faith that he is continuing to build a team in which Newcastle can be proud.

“It is encouraging for our young playing group to have an outstanding coach that is committed to the Jets for another season.”

The coach is buoyed by the faith shown in him from the Club.

“I feel very privileged to be the coach of the Newcastle Jets and it is wonderful to be extending my time here for at least another year,” van Egmond said.

“I see a bright future, for this season and for many years to come, in both the development of the players and in the total culture of the Club.

“It is exciting times for the Newcastle Jets Football Club; we have a great representation of local talent in our senior group and near 100 per cent in our youth team.

“We have a great Membership base, the second largest in the A-League, which shows how passionate our supporters are and I hope to be able to equal their passion.”

The Club’s owner Nathan Tinkler gave his stamp of approval for the extension.

“Gary is nurturing and developing an exciting team at the Jets and I am pleased we have extended the tenure of one of Australia’s premier coaches at our Club,” Tinkler said.

“When we signed Gary, part of his charter was to develop an exciting team and to nurture local talent.

“What has been impressive during his first season with us, is not only his ability to coach but his desire to improve the game locally.

“We know both our Club and the game is in good hands with Gary as head coach.”
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Gary-van-Egmond-extends-Jets-contract/48884

pv4
04-09-2012, 04:20 PM
our number 1 priority in signings should have been, and should still be, a goal-scoring marquee. stop wasting your time with other bs, robbie.

Jeterpool
04-09-2012, 04:36 PM
our number 1 priority in signings should have been, and should still be, a goal-scoring marquee. stop wasting your time with other bs, robbie.

100% agree. We need a goal scorer otherwise they have just increased the compensation they are going to pay out.

Skinner (C)
04-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Driving home and caught Craig Hamilton on ABC say major announcement & presser Thursday at midday...

sammydog
04-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Driving home and caught Craig Hamilton on ABC say major announcement & presser Thursday at midday...

We beat sydney to Del Piero?

pistolpete
04-09-2012, 08:47 PM

jesic contract extension

GazFish35
04-09-2012, 08:48 PM
HSG buggering off again.
it has to be huge. its a few weeks before the season starts.
stnadard operating procedure

Grimario
04-09-2012, 08:51 PM
HSG buggering off again.
it has to be huge. its a few weeks before the season starts.
stnadard operating procedure

If that is what it is, god help us.

Or Blackmac, since god is as likely to help us as the easter bunny is.

Jeterpool
04-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Another sponsor - this time for our sleeve. :gent:

Bon
04-09-2012, 09:27 PM
I know we all have sarcastic comments to make about it, but has anyone got any real inside info on this?

GazFish35
04-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Someone does.
Probably those involved.

Geezus lord griff, I hope it's the return of the messiah!

Jetmaster
04-09-2012, 09:54 PM

This ^^^^

Probably Newcastle Herald !

GazFish35
04-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Maybe James Gardiner in being announced as Bridges' personal match day sponsor

q-money
04-09-2012, 10:02 PM
deans out

parksey
04-09-2012, 10:24 PM
the pta has disbanded.

seldom
04-09-2012, 10:32 PM
jesic contract extension

released to western sydney

Jeterpool
04-09-2012, 10:38 PM
the pta has disbanded.

Won't somebody please think of the children!?

Jeterpool
04-09-2012, 10:40 PM

The more I think about it, I reckon it's Whitehaven Coal. We need income to pay the doctors etc!

seldom
05-09-2012, 02:24 AM

probs the queensland plumbing association

furns
05-09-2012, 09:23 AM
my guess would be the italian striker?

pv4
05-09-2012, 09:53 AM
herald mentioned today it's expected it's an alliance between the jerks and northern starting from under10s going through to yoof league.

samus
05-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Tony Mowbray has remained coy regarding the Middlesbrough future of Scott McDonald.

The Australian striker has yet to feature for the Teessiders this season despite being their highest-paid player and Mowbray’s recent comments have probably done nothing to instil confidence in the former Celtic star.

"There is no Scott McDonald situation," he said.

"Will we see him back in the team? I don't know.

"Scott McDonald has to keep doing what he does in training, keep working hard and try to get himself into the team."

He added: "I have to say, with total respect to Scott McDonald, that he's been here two years and he hasn't scored a bagful of goals.

"But it's a question I understand people asking because he cost a lot of money.

"But with respect to Scott McDonald, he's just another name on my team sheet or not on my team sheet.

"Scott just needs to get his head down and keep working hard and see what happens."

McDonald was linked with a Riverside Stadium departure during the summer and could still be sent out on loan according to reports.

Wouldn't be a bad option for a loan deal...

Guerny
05-09-2012, 10:48 AM
http://www.news.com.au/business/companies/queensland-coal-explorer-blackwood-to-pursue-nathan-tinkler-in-courts-for-284-million/story-fnda1bsz-1226465031019?from=igoogle+gadget+compact+news_rss

HSG to implode in 3...2...1...

lil_masi
05-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Concerning we have let go our strength and conditioning coach again. We better find someone quick and with a football background.

Looks like we've had more pre-season injuries than we had last year as well.

Pico
05-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Concerning we have let go our strength and conditioning coach again. We better find someone quick and with a football background.

Looks like we've had more pre-season injuries than we had last year as well.

mean while the Knights land some bloke from some English team....:whistling:

http://osaussies.com/phil-farewells-anfield/

Jetmaster
05-09-2012, 11:53 AM
I trust Mr Lowy and the FFA are being proactive with this and looking at who can fill the shoes in the future with the help of the trust.

Can only get worse for Tinks as the mining boom has passed its peak.

Jeterpool
05-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Any word if this press conference is actually going ahead?

MFKS
05-09-2012, 01:37 PM
mean while the Knights land some bloke from some English team....:whistling:

http://osaussies.com/phil-farewells-anfield/

Poor bloke has a resume that reads he was unable to keep one H Kewell on the park regularly. Should mean a host of injured players for Knights next year. Glad HSG are keeping him the **** away from us

MFKS
05-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Posted on a Gypo site

First bus to our first game is SOLD OUT.
We are now taking bookings for our second bus.
If you would like to pay and book a seat we will be collecting money at tomorrow nights game.
Please call or text Simon Fisher on 0410307771 to organise bookings and payment collection.
To those that have booked and paid for the first bus, we thank you for your support.

Apparently the Gypos have sold out 1 bus to their first game of the season. Well done boys Congratulations on getting 50 fans to a game. Maybe in time you can break 100!!!

The Dunster
05-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Posted on a Gypo site

If you would like to pay and book a seat we will be collecting money at tomorrow nights game.
Please call or text Simon Fisher on 0410307771 to organise bookings and payment collection.
To those that have booked and paid for the first bus, we thank you for your support.

Apparently the Gypos have sold out 1 bus to their first game of the season. Well done boys Congratulations on getting 50 fans to a game. Maybe in time you can break 100!!!

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/160249.jpg

the_butcher
05-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Any word if this press conference is actually going ahead?

Think it's at 7pm..or I could have just made that up

furns
05-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Posted on a Gypo site

Apparently the Gypos have sold out 1 bus to their first game of the season. Well done boys Congratulations on getting 50 fans to a game. Maybe in time you can break 100!!!Considering how hard it was for me to fill buses for sydney away trips last season (we had 1.5 buses btw), I wouldnt bother making fun of the gypos at this stage.
Away support takes ages to build.

Thomas477
05-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Well Sydney FC have done it, Alessandro Del Piero on a 2 year deal.

Great he's signed, but now they have 3 marquee players for season 2013/14.....

seldom
05-09-2012, 11:10 PM

Good for the HAL...but sydney ffs

Grimario
05-09-2012, 11:12 PM
So... Sydney are basically a wooden spoon side with a huge name marquee striker?

Rubez or Jobe can sort that out, no problems.

furns
05-09-2012, 11:53 PM

Errr you do know Carle ****ed off for the petrodollars right?

parksey
05-09-2012, 11:59 PM

on a one year lone deal lass

Thomas477
06-09-2012, 12:11 AM

Yep, but for next season they have 3 marquees signed, given that Carle's contract was frozen this season while he was loaned out, and will resume next season. Given he would on at least $500,000 I can't see him fitting under their cap, nor Emmo who would be on more than Carle.

So I would expect to see Carle sold at the first bidder in the next 12 months. Still don't understand how Sydney can sign another marquee while theirs is on loan when we couldn't, nor how the FFA could allow them to have 3 marquees for next season. Would love to hear the reasoning behind.