PDA

View Full Version : Daily Australian News 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

militiamon
06-09-2012, 12:46 AM
I get the feeling that it was never a 100% signed deal that Carle had with SFC for next season. Even if it was, you'd expect that the terms would have been renegotiated so he could potentially be on substantially less, and SFC don't exactly have the most glamorous squad outside of their marquees.

I don't think it matters one bit considering that they have just made the biggest signing in A-League history.

Pico
06-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Carle's deal with sfc was a 3yr with a +1, with the +1 being triggered only if he manages to play 75% of the games in his last year. As this is the last year of the 3 year deal carle would need to have played 75% of the games to trigger the extra year, as he'll be on loan he wont be able to trigger the extra year.

So no they wont have 3 marquee's next year they'll have two and if carle goes back he'll have to fit under the cap, or more likely head off to another club.

As for the loaning out a marquee, its fine MV did the same thing with richardinho was loaned out and they filled his spot. So this time it looks like they already amended the rules for loans.

Thomas477
06-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Carle's deal with sfc was a 3yr with a +1, with the +1 being triggered only if he manages to play 75% of the games in his last year. As this is the last year of the 3 year deal carle would need to have played 75% of the games to trigger the extra year, as he'll be on loan he wont be able to trigger the extra year.

So no they wont have 3 marquee's next year they'll have two and if carle goes back he'll have to fit under the cap, or more likely head off to another club.

They said they had frozen Carle's contract and he would play his "3rd year" with Sydney next season, 2013/14. Is it likely they will sell Carle before next season? Highly, but at the moment they have 3 marquees.

Bon
06-09-2012, 09:40 AM
herald mentioned today it's expected it's an alliance between the jerks and northern starting from under10s going through to yoof league.

I think you could be right mate...
Aaron Kearney gave away a bit of a hint, or at least that thats what he thought it was about, this morning on ABC local radio..

hauss
06-09-2012, 10:16 AM
I think you could be right mate...
Aaron Kearney gave away a bit of a hint, or at least that thats what he thought it was about, this morning on ABC local radio..

I heard that too.

The Jets deserve a nine out of ten for this off season. Let's be honest.

They've got over 8,000 members signed up with little fuss - while I think they will fall short of 11,000, having 2 home games against Del Piero might just help boost the numbers in these final weeks.
They are holding a member only launch against WSW
They bedded down their roster quite early and are now looking at the people due to come off contract at the end of this season
They have signed their coach on for an extra season - not too long and not too short, he has to perform and I'm sure he is aware of that
They have only really taken a gamble on one signing - Bernardo, but the Jets have unearthed the rough diamond as often as they've signed a complete flop. Not a big gamble at all.
GVE has stated that he was waiting until the end of the transfer window to see if he could land a striker - because the chance of being gazumped by a richer club was lower. We aren't a powerhouse club. We have to play it smart.
Communication with the supporters through the website, facebook and twitter has been the most professional of any offseason yet.

From a supporters perspective, they seem to have their house well and truly in order, which is what I and many supporters have wanted for many years.

While their hasn't been a signing to send me into raptures, we shouldn't belittle all of their other achievements either.

I'm prepared to show them a bit of love. I think we have to start acting like the great club we want to be.

MFKS
06-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I heard that too.

The Jets deserve a nine out of ten for this off season. Let's be honest.

They've got over 8,000 members signed up with little fuss - while I think they will fall short of 11,000, having 2 home games against Del Piero might just help boost the numbers in these final weeks.
They are holding a member only launch against WSW
They bedded down their roster quite early and are now looking at the people due to come off contract at the end of this season
They have signed their coach on for an extra season - not too long and not too short, he has to perform and I'm sure he is aware of that
They have only really taken a gamble on one signing - Bernardo, but the Jets have unearthed the rough diamond as often as they've signed a complete flop. Not a big gamble at all.
GVE has stated that he was waiting until the end of the transfer window to see if he could land a striker - because the chance of being gazumped by a richer club was lower. We aren't a powerhouse club. We have to play it smart.
Communication with the supporters through the website, facebook and twitter has been the most professional of any offseason yet.

From a supporters perspective, they seem to have their house well and truly in order, which is what I and many supporters have wanted for many years.

While their hasn't been a signing to send me into raptures, we shouldn't belittle all of their other achievements either.

I'm prepared to show them a bit of love. I think we have to start acting like the great club we want to be.

Have to agree with a lot of your comments there that the HSG management have done quite well and got a lot right over the off season.

Do have an issue with your rating of 9/10 though as the whole little where not playing in the HAL spat occurred during this time. Even though I agree with their reasons for doing it the method wasn't right and has done significant damage to the clubs image

hauss
06-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Have to agree with a lot of your comments there that the HSG management have done quite well and got a lot right over the off season.

Do have an issue with your rating of 9/10 though as the whole little where not playing in the HAL spat occurred during this time. Even though I agree with their reasons for doing it the method wasn't right and has done significant damage to the clubs image

Maybe not 9/10 then. The owner and the HSG CEO were the ones who ran with that issue. The decision to hand back the license blind sided everyone below that level. I can't really hold that one against the whole "Jets management" though, as it is these people who are trying to look after the interests of supporters on a day to day basis.

MFKS
06-09-2012, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't be surprised how much the playing staff and players may have really known what was going on. The initial announcement of the decision may have been out of the blue but it wouldn't have surprised me if the Coaching department and players may have been told what HSG's intentions were with their moves.

The whole thing looks to me like a calculated gamble by HSG to leverage the FFA to come to the party on a number of issues. The FFA have done that EVENTUALLY. The players and coach may well have been told this is whats going on and then told to keep quiet on the matter. As these guys are actually paid by HSG shutting up everyone can be done quite easily by paying them in advance as was done

Considering we retained our entire squad with many new signings still arriving I wouldn't be surprised if the Team knew stuff the public didn't. After all if you had just signed a deal to uproot and move to Newy as Goodwin Birraz Brown Taggart and co had done and the club had announced they were pulling out leaving you in limbo you would be concerned about the future and would look to quickly tie up employment elsewhere. None of our existing players even looked like jumping ship which is surprising if the club was gonna seriously pull out.

Remember this went on for about a month before it was resolved

MFKS
06-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Driving home and caught Craig Hamilton on ABC say major announcement & presser Thursday at midday...

So what was it??

belchardo
06-09-2012, 01:48 PM
this i would guess

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-NNSWF--FFA-launch-Emerging-Jets/48937

One of Nathan Tinkler’s visions since taking ownership of the Newcastle Jets has become a reality with the announcement of the Emerging Jets Program, which is a talented pathway for players as young as ten-years old through to the Hyundai A-League and Westfield W-League.

The joint initiative between the Jets, Northern NSW Football (NNSWF) and the Football Federation Australia (FFA) with its high six-figure investment, makes the Emerging Jets Program the most affordable talented player pathway in this country.

“This unique and ground breaking program will give our kids the best chance to fulfil their dreams of representing the Newcastle Jets, our Socceroos and our Matildas,” CEO Robbie Middleby said.

“The key components to the program will be the quality of coaching, sports science and most importantly the ongoing guidance for these young players.

“All aspects of the Jets senior football department, co-ordinated by head coach Gary van Egmond, will contribute to the success of this program and each Emerging Jets team will have an A-League or W-League player actively involved as its mentor.

“Our model is based on world’s best practice but most importantly, we are confident that this program will give our youngsters the best opportunity to reach the highest level without leaving our region.”

The program will also provide other A-League Clubs a blueprint to work nationally to ultimately produce world-class footballers throughout Australia.

“Currently we are not producing enough quality young players in Australia and losing ground on the world stage,” FFA’s Technical Director Han Berger said.

“As a first step towards a situation where every A-League club has a development structure from their first team down to grassroots, the Jets, NNSWF and FFA have joined hands to make that happen in Australia.

“That is why I’m very excited about this initiative and sincerely hope it will set an example that’s followed by the other A-league clubs as soon as possible.”

Northern NSW Football are delighted to be leading the way in junior development.

“Today’s announcement reflects the coming together of the two premier stakeholders in football in Northern NSW – ourselves at grassroots level and the Newcastle Jets at the professional and national league level,” Northern NSW Football CEO David Eland said.

“The Emerging Jets Program is a ground-breaking initiative for the sport and an Australian first between a National League side and a State Federation.

“We believe world class players need access to a world class facilities such as our proposed new facility at Lake Macquarie and these young players will benefit directly from this development.”

“By definition, this pathway provides a succinct and clearly discernible development program for players as firstly Junior Jets, progressing onto Emerging Jets and finally culminating in elite level at National Youth League, W-League and A-League.”

good move. bit more detail would be good, but i assume that will come soon.

hauss
06-09-2012, 01:55 PM
this i would guess

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-NNSWF--FFA-launch-Emerging-Jets/48937

good move. bit more detail would be good, but i assume that will come soon.

Really good news. The Jets have led the way by being the first team to put their youth league team in the State league, giving them year round development. Great to see both organisations working in partnership again to do something innovative and substantial for football in Newcastle.

Bon
06-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Really good news. The Jets have led the way by being the first team to put their youth league team in the State league, giving them year round development. Great to see both organisations working in partnership again to do something innovative and substantial for football in Newcastle.

Definitely..
Its a great innitiative and can only create positives for the game in Newy..
However, am I the only one feeling a little greedy/selfish for hoping it was an announcement of a potential striker? :deadhorse:

Thomas477
06-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Good news, but we still need a ****ing striker.

seldom
06-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Actually thought the announcement was that bridges was retiring again only to make a comeback in round 4 where he'd pick up an injury and be out for 4 to 6 weeks

Tommyjet
06-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Definitely..
Its a great innitiative and can only create positives for the game in Newy..
However, am I the only one feeling a little greedy/selfish for hoping it was an announcement of a potential striker? :deadhorse:

I'm the same, it's haunting me especially when the herald wankers start rumours of an Italian striker. I personally think its just someone who has played in Italy, like the Honduran David suazo

Pico
06-09-2012, 03:46 PM
New initiative to provide pathway for young Hunter footballers
By JOSH LEESON
Sept. 6, 2012, 2:18 p.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-5kfsp4NEeEvSvAN3kC8tUn/578fe9d1-7545-4bee-9fbc-bbe7b80a84f6.jpg

THE Northern NSW Football’s emerging athletes programs will be rebadged with the Newcastle Jets name and colours under a new partnership between the two organisations and Football Federation Australia.

The initiative, which was forecast in yesterday’s Newcastle Herald, will provide a pathway for footballers from the under 10s all the way to the A-League and W-League competitions.

It will be known as the Emerging Jets Program, which aims to one day fill the majority of the A-League roster with Hunter-bred footballers.

The announcement was made at Merewether Surfhouse today and is it hoped the program will begin by the end of the year.

FFA technical director Han Berger will work with Jets coach Gary van Egmond and NNSWF technical director David Smith to oversee the implementation of the program.

The cost of the 12-month program will be $650 which includes working with elite coaches, learning the national football curriculum, playing up 35 to 40 matches per year and Jets season membership.

www.theherald.com.au/story/307049/new-initiative-to-provide-pathway-for-young-hunter-footballers/?cs=12

Great initiative, you can have your marquees, this is so vital for creating a fantastic club culture, not only will it help the kids develop but it creates a total club development not just polishing when it comes to NYL level.

Could have come up with a better logo then copying the W-league.
http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00048937-leadimage.jpg

seldom
06-09-2012, 04:13 PM
:cool: now when the yoof keeper gets sent in the state league they'll have backup

hauss
06-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Great initiative, you can have your marquees, this is so vital for creating a fantastic club culture, not only will it help the kids develop but it creates a total club development not just polishing when it comes to NYL level.

Could have come up with a better logo then copying the W-league.

Picture needs more Hamma :(

MFKS
06-09-2012, 04:30 PM
:cool: now when the yoof keeper gets sent in the state league they'll have backup
Small Bonus that was gonna be rectified next season anyway.

Big Bonus is how good is the standard of football gonna be in 10-15 years time when we have ironed out the bugs in the system and these kids have gone from U10's learning the way we are doing it right through to HAL level!!

One of the major flaws the Jets Yoof had this season in the State League was they really didn't believe in the system and philosophy GVE is employing. When things were going well and they were beating someone they looked good. When the opponent put up a fight and didn't fold the Yoof looked lost.

The semi against Edgy was a classic example 1-0 down in Extra time they still had 27 mins to fight back. Remember they have superior fitness and players with HAL experience there they should have been well and truly in the contest. No these guys folded like a cheap suit. It was almost as if when the scoreboard went against them they weren't prepared for the battle and believed they could or would succeed playing their way. Imagine how much better it will be when they have played this way since U10's???

As this thing gathers momentum throw in the odd player to come thru and play HAL we should be able to pick up the odd transfer fee here and there to prop up Tinks crumbling empire before the production line is in full swing delivering millions regularly to Tinks!!

Better proposition than a Coal Loader

Tiny_Tim
06-09-2012, 05:03 PM
is there any news on who we might be signing? i know the papers dont say anything but i was hoping someone one here might know of something? is there a section i can look for this?

MFKS
06-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets head coach Gary van Egmond believes the newly announced Emerging Jets junior development program will help to build the Club’s culture and identity.

Van Egmond said that young players in the Emerging Jets program would be coached in line with the Club’s playing philosophy from as young as 10 years of age.

“I think that’s paramount for building a football Club, not only in regards to your vision, philosophy and style of play but also from a Club culture point of view,” van Egmond said.

“You need to make sure that is something you instil in the young players so they know what is required of them on and off the field.

“I think that it is very, very important the young players adopt the style of play and adopt what Newcastle offers as a city as well.”

Van Egmond said he hopes the program will eventually become a consistent production line of locally born and bred talent who would one day go on to represent the Newcastle Jets in the A-League and W-League competitions.

“First of all you have to have a vision and philosophy on what you’re going to do here as football Club and then it’s about the style of play and how you initiate through the age groups, leading up to the first team,” van Egmond explained.

“That will be the basis of what we’re going to structure our Club and our teams on.

“It’s about finding the most appropriate coaching for the appropriate age group and it’s up to the technical committee to ensure that happens.”

Van Egmond will feature on the Emerging Jets technical committee that oversees the program along with representatives from Northern NSW Football and Football Federation Australia.

“We will be hands on in setting the structure up in regards to what we want to see down at the junior development level,” van Egmond said.

“Obviously myself and (NNSW technical director) David Smith will be a lot more hands than (FFA technical director) Han Berger, but we’ll all have a say in the structure and the coaches that are involved in the Emerging Jets program

Video of announcement up on Jets website

Blackmac79
06-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Talented youths shouldn't have to pay for access to coaches and training.

It's this reason alone that Australia will always be behind the rest of the world.

06-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Development, academy and elite are all words used to milk funds from mums and dads who think there kid is going to grow up and be the next H K.

Nothing more than a pyriamid scheme.

The Dunster
06-09-2012, 10:14 PM
The $650 a year from the fringe players will subsidise the costs of developing the elite ones.
When the parents of the fringe players realise they are subsidising the elite kids the shit will hit the fan.

Given that this code is in competition with AFL , league, and rugby for talented juniors the $650 will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

GazFish35
06-09-2012, 10:48 PM
The $650 gets you 35-40 games. Plus decent qualified coaches.

I'd be interested in a few answers.....
How many games in the average junior season?
And how much is Rego?
How much is a jets membership?
How good are the coaches your kid currently trains with?

12 months of football, so forget paying summer sport Rego....

It might actually represent good value.

seldom
07-09-2012, 02:29 AM
would of thought 10 year olds would be still developing basic skills and dare say learning to head. what happens in 7 to 8 years when the van egmond philosophy (sorry club philosophy ) has changed. Bit of a kick in the guts for nswis and their coaches over the previous seasons imo. one thing for sure gary certainly embedding himself and your right parents of fringe players will subsidise

hauss
07-09-2012, 07:26 AM
nd your right parents of fringe players will subsidise

I don't understand this concern. No one is guaranteed a career in football. It is a great experience and a privilege for kids to take up this offer. They will develop skills even if they don't become professional.

Why do people always expect something for nothing?

pv4
07-09-2012, 07:27 AM
i'm particularly interested in the selection criteria for the coaches for these emergers. there's some coaches getting around the under11-16 rep sides currently that i would never let me future kid train under, and on the other hand you have some genius of a coach at hunter valley 14s or something (i watched him at a jets v weston preseason friendly last season) & gumprecht is doing amazing things with the skilleroos at the moment. i'll be particularly interested to see how they choose the coaches, & if the better coaches in the distant-area are given incentives ($$) to come to newy to coach.

btw - after under 13s skilleroos currently, kids have nothing for under 14s & the next step is eap. in melbourne or somewhere they roll an under 14s senior skilleroos, but in newcastle currently we have nothing. will this emerging jets be every age group? and what comps will each respective team play in?

07-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Those with nothing might not be afforded the same opportunity as those with something. If you have ability but your parents or carers are financially hand to mouth then you may go by the wayside.

sammydog
07-09-2012, 08:29 AM
The last paragraph of the newspaper said,

‘‘Northern NSW Football is a not-for-profit organisation and the peak organisation and we do everything we can to ensure that talented kids are not precluded from the program based on their family’s financial situation,’’ NNSW Football chief executive officer David Eland said.

Pretty sure if a kid is good enough and has legitimate family financial issues, they will work something out. Of course thing won't stop people blaming the fee for their kids not going.

Jetmaster
07-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Very simple - it's an investment with an amount of risk. Nobody will twist your arm to do it and it is up to each family to weigh up whether it is worth that risk.

GazFish35
07-09-2012, 10:06 AM
The last paragraph of the newspaper said,

Pretty sure if a kid is good enough and has legitimate family financial issues, they will work something out. Of course thing won't stop people blaming the fee for their kids not going.

waiting for the crys of "so the rich families are going to subsize the poor ones"

hauss
07-09-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm just thankful for all the dumb kids in public education who subsidise the smart ones.

Glad their parents don't realise they get nothing out of it.

:gent:

snake
07-09-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm just thankful for all the dumb kids in public education who subsidise the incompetent uni students who became teachers.

fixed

ForeverRed
07-09-2012, 01:19 PM
fixed

Where do they play, surely not in local junior comps, that's a bit unfair

militiamon
07-09-2012, 01:25 PM
This year's membership stickers are much better than the ones last year.

MFKS
07-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Did you get your pack already??

Thought they weren't coming until next Tuesday or something??

BodyNovo
07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Did you get your pack already??

Thought they weren't coming until next Tuesday or something??

mine arrived today

and he's right the stickers are much better.

MFKS
07-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Posites been and gone in down town Kotara South. Another reason for my negativity to Australia Post!!!

On a more important note hows the fridge magnet look??

Does it rival/surpass last years effort??

snake
07-09-2012, 02:03 PM
keep the sticker and peripheral details coming in boys (y)

plague
07-09-2012, 02:56 PM
I'd actually call it a 'sticker sheet'. 3 x stickers (I've only opened the young fellas junior pack so far. R. Griff is the main dude in all the photos and featured on the actual ticket. 'face of the franchise' perhaps?
(tangent: sign his brother for ****s sake already).
Keyring is a delightful metal one which is great for throwing at people, will do lots of damage.
(or apparently you can put your keys on it).
Fridge magnet is superb. Definitely in my top 3 fridge magnets of all time.
Vouchers for cap and junior bag/water bottle. Will be great getting Plague junior to carry it in to each game filled with Vodka for dad.
Great job club, merch is fantastic.
Now sign Griff.

Pico
07-09-2012, 03:08 PM
The $650 gets you 35-40 games. Plus decent qualified coaches.

I'd be interested in a few answers.....
How many games in the average junior season?
And how much is Rego?
How much is a jets membership?
How good are the coaches your kid currently trains with?

12 months of football, so forget paying summer sport Rego....

It might actually represent good value.

considering the existing program is $475 for part time coaches for 25 weeks they now get the higher qualified coaches, a jets season ticket & a 40 week season, is it that much more then the current system, a system that from my understanding is being shut down by NSWIS. So its either this or nothing, with the added bonus of better coaches and season tickets & gear (not sure if the existing covered gear as well).

Don't get me wrong the best outcome would be for it to be free, a more scholarship style system. But for me this is where supporters, corporate sponsors, Men of football grants or maybe even the supporters trust if it ever exists, can step up and say we'll raise some funds for a scholarship for a needy player, open submissions and select the the most appropriate player, hell call it the Griffo scholarship, instead of looking for the negatives we should try and look for some of the positives.

Pico
07-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Great job club, merch is fantastic.

Would be good if they could get ISC to up the quality of the kits a little uncomfortable to wear.

MFKS
07-09-2012, 03:24 PM

Members Crap

Found mine Falling out of Letter Box and ended up in the garden. See why I dislike Australia Post

Retro Jet
07-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Posites been and gone in down town Kotara South. Another reason for my negativity to Australia Post!!!

On a more important note hows the fridge magnet look??

Does it rival/surpass last years effort??

Members Crap

Found mine Falling out of Letter Box and ended up in the garden. See why I dislike Australia Post

Wow, 1st post about Australia Post @ 12:49pm then a result less than 2 hours later with REAL post!
Not bad Aussie Post :wink:

sanchez
07-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Are we signing some c*nt or not?

Stickers ain't news. ffs

Tommyjet
07-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Gonna throw this out there, Vincenzo Iaquinta on loan or maybe out of contract not sure ( conflicting articles in regards to his contract status). Known for his high work rate, team man and can score a goal or two. Oh and he is Italian, not that the herald is right.

Tommyjet
07-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Who am I kidding tinkler is screwed, no chance of iaquinta

ForeverRed
07-09-2012, 06:09 PM

Stickers ain't news. ffs

The local forum wouldn't allow this language mr fish

seldom
07-09-2012, 07:28 PM

Stickers ain't news. ffs

This

lol

GazFish35
08-09-2012, 02:39 AM
The local forum wouldn't allow this language mr fish

What have I got to do with it?

furns
08-09-2012, 12:42 PM
The local forum wouldn't allow this language mr fishto clarify, this isnt the local forum and he censored the word anyway.

Zico
08-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Just heard on the radio that Mirvac are sueing Tinkler for something like $30m of his assets due to unpaid moneys owed. If this is the case things are looking grim for Tinks.

militiamon
09-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Best of both worlds: Jets offer vision, Sky Blues the glitz

http://images.smh.com.au/2012/09/08/3619926/art-jets-2-620x349.jpg

It was entirely fitting that on the same day Alessandro del Piero was unveiled by Sydney FC, the Newcastle Jets launched their flight path, a catchy name for the first youth development structure of any A-League club, of real substance.

This is the first time one of our professional clubs has invested in youth teams all the way down to under-10s, with plans for under-8s already in train.

While Sydney are focused on the glitz and glamour at the top end of the game, always seeking a headline act around which to focus the fans and media, the Jets are securing the future of their club by training a whole generation of immensely talented country kids to play the Jets way, with a streamlined philosophy and methodology, and will reap rich rewards in years to come, whether via championship trophies or financial returns from player sales.

Two clubs, two different strategies, both with great value. The trouble is, of course, we need them put together in every club to achieve our twin goals, for football to succeed in Australia, and Australia to succeed in football.
Advertisement

It is through these complementary goals that every decision should be filtered, and both clubs are making a valuable contribution. For football to succeed, we need a strong A-League and W-League, with high intensity, tactically advanced attacking football of high technical standard in order for the league to succeed, because the market is becoming increasingly sophisticated about what they are watching, and huge memberships, great crowds, strong commercialisation.

Del Piero adds both quality and marketing oomph, and will undoubtedly pull in tens of thousands of spectators, who we will aim to turn into supporters, real fans, with a sustainable connection to the club, league and game.

So, too, do we need to produce higher quality players to continue to raise the level of the league year on year, to educate and test our young players to prepare them well for the second goal as well as a breeding ground for quality coaches to develop to international quality.

Both the leagues' quality and the production of players are critical to our second pillar, for Australia to succeed in football.

This means international competitiveness of our youth and seniors, male and female, which cannot be achieved without the vision to invest in coaches and players over the long term, investments that demonstrate a commitment to our kids of today and the game in 10, 20, 50 years and for which the Jets should be lauded.

To win a FIFA World Cup in the men's and women's competitions, we will need a perfectly integrated system whereby every child has the right to enjoy playing the beautiful game socially and, where talent is displayed it is instantly identified, protected, nurtured, educated and given the maximum opportunity to develop into a world-class professional.

Total integration is the only way, given the natural challenges we face of isolation, a fractured sports market and talent pool, and that means the A-League (and W-League) clubs being the centre of the football universe, and everything passing through them in one way or another.

Every child that kicks a ball should be identified with his or her A-League and W-League club from the cradle, every talent shown a path to a first team shirt, every school made part of the family.

And for this reason, the Jets' initiative in conjunction with Football Northern NSW is an important step forward to correct the oversight of professional clubs without youth players.

We want the game to win, and we want to win in the game, and achieving both requires a viable A-League today, as well as investing in the A-League, W-League, Socceroos and Matildas of tomorrow. Sydney and the Jets have got half of the equation spectacularly right.

Now, let's put them together to make a whole.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/best-of-both-worlds-jets-offer-vision-sky-blues-the-glitz-20120908-25l16.html#ixzz25vpOknHQ

I know this was mostly overlooked due to the financial uncertainty surrounding Tinks, but this is a good point from Foz about the recently announced youth academy. Great passion on Mitchy's face as well.

MFKS
09-09-2012, 07:56 PM
POWER companies will no longer be allowed to hire corporate boxes, sponsor footy teams, orchestras or zoo exhibits under cuts introduced by NSW Energy Minister Chris Hartcher.

Mr Hartcher has removed an Ausgrid box at ANZ Stadium worth $160,000 a year, ended a Taronga Zoo sponsorship worth $450,000 a year, a Sydney Symphony Orchestra contract worth $435,000 and the sponsorship of the Central Coast Mariners football team worth $350,000 each year.

Who should be the recipient of Ausgrid's NRL box? Leave a comment below

The Energy Minister has also ordered that taxpayer-owned Ausgrid stop subsidising the Sydney Theatre Company to the tune of $158,000 per year, a contract which provides staff and senior managers with tickets to shows.

Under the agreement with the zoo, Ausgrid staff were able to access 200 free family passes, while the company had advertising on the Zoo's "Great Southern Oceans Precinct".

AUSGRID bigwigs will have their corporate box at the footy confiscated amid a crackdown on perks at the state-owned power company.

If Ausgrid's sponsorship with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra had continued until it finished in 2014, electricity consumers would have spent $4.216 million propping up the classical music ensemble.

The funding comes despite the orchestra already receiving considerable government funds.

The Sunday Telegraph revealed last year that Ausgrid's then chairman, John Conde, was also the chairman of the orchestra.

The sponsorship cuts will not affect volunteer organisations such as Hunter Westpac Rescue Helicopter, the Sydney Burns Foundation, the Rural Fire Service and branches of Surf Life Saving NSW.

Mr Hartcher said with power bills soaring, it wasn't acceptable for an electricity company to be spending on sponsorships or corporate boxes.

The NSW government is determined to stamp out the "culture of entitlement and largess" at power companies.

"The NSW government expects the distribution networks to focus on delivering the lowest prices possible for NSW electricity consumers," he said. "We need to make sure every effort and every cent is directed towards driving down the cost of electricity to NSW households.

The O'Farrell government has merged the management of the three state-owned power companies - Ausgrid, Essential and Endeavour - to save $400 million by 2015.

This is part of a program which they hope will see power companies slash $1.7 billion from spending.

At least 130 executives on salaries over $150,000 have also been cut.

Ausgrid's NRL box will go to a worthy cause

AUSGRID bigwigs will have their corporate box at the football confiscated amid a crackdown on perks at the state-owned power company

Energy Minister Chris Hartcher has seized the $160,000 a year box at ANZ Stadium and axed sponsorship deals in a bid to reduce the state's soaring electricity bills.

NSW power bosses have been enjoying a fully catered corporate box at ANZ Stadium at customers' expense since 2009 - but Energy Minister Chris Hartcher has called full-time on the perk.

Electricity company Ausgrid has been paying $160,000 a year for the corporate box, which caters for 20.

But Mr Hartcher last week confiscated the luxury suite after the spending was uncovered in an audit of the state-owned company's corporate sponsorship.

Instead of letting power fat cats use it, Mr Hartcher said he wanted The Sunday Telegraph to give the box to some deserving fans for the NRL grand final on September 30.

Eat Shit Gypos

Mitchy
09-09-2012, 07:59 PM
that photo :blush:

hawk
09-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Del tha dingo can go to syd, i'd be happy with a strong griff.

parksey
10-09-2012, 12:42 AM
ladz

pv4
10-09-2012, 06:06 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Van-Egmond-reflects-on-mixed-performance/49011

Van Egmond reflects on mixed performance
Monday, 10 September 2012 2:27 PM

Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets head coach Gary van Egmond has described his side’s 1-1 draw with Sydney FC at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday as a mixed performance.

After a slow start to the match, the Jets found their feet and controlled the majority of the first half with Ruben Zadkovich putting them ahead with a free-kick in the 30th minute.

However, van Egmond said is was disappointing the Jets weren’t able to capitalise on their possession and territory by building a more sizeable advantage on the scoreboard.

“(Our performance) was a little bit mixed,” van Egmond said.

“I think the first ten minutes or so, Sydney were on top and we didn’t have ourselves organised as well as we would have liked. We probably didn’t do a few things we needed to do.

“For the rest of the first half though we started to dominate and for that part of the game it was really, really pleasing.

“The disappointing part was the fact that we didn’t get more goals. If we’re going to play that type of game where we press high, we need to get more goals from the work that we’re putting in to win that ball back.”

The Jets conceded from a Sydney FC corner midway through an evenly matched second half, but the draw meant Newcastle still maintained their unbeaten run this pre-season.

“Results wise, it’s always good (to be unbeaten),” he said.

“If you’re not getting a draw or a win in the pre-season, it can obviously lead to some doubt and some confidence issues.

“We’ve been mostly concentrating on the performance and what we have to do in regards to each game. We’re somewhat happy with how that’s going, but I think we can do a bit better.”

One aspect of the match that really pleased van Egmond was the way in which the Jets adapted to a slight change in their playing system.

The Jets started the match with a back three of Scott Neville, Josh Mitchell and Dominik Ritter and van Egmond was pleased with what he saw.

“I was very happy. It’s definitely a tactic that we’ll use this year,” he said.

“You have to have a plan A and a plan B. It doesn’t change in regards to the actual style of game that we play, but it does change things in regards to tactics.

“We have to be adaptable in case obviously other teams change things as well.”

The change meant regular left-back Craig Goodwin was able to play in a more advanced role in midfield.

“We looked at Craig in the midfield and we looked at him in a wide area a bit further up,” he said.

“He’s obviously shown in pre-season that he’s got an eye for goal, scoring a number of goals from the fullback position.

“We’re a little bit light on up front due to the fact we haven’t got our player from overseas yet, (James) Brown is available at the moment and Adam Taggart is another one who’s not here.

“So it’s good to know there are other players who can come in and do a job.”

The Jets’ next trial match is the Members’ season launch against Western Sydney Wanderers at Wanderers Oval, Broadmeadow on Saturday.

The game is a Members Only event. Jets fans can secure their entry to this match as well as all 13 of the Newcastle Jets’ home games at Hunter Stadium this season by signing up to become a 2012/13 Jets Member HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ).

seems pretty confident/reliant on the fact we're signing another player, from overseas. i guess it's the first bit of marquee news in a while that isn't the usual "right for the club, right for the money" waffle.

also, :gent:

Pico
10-09-2012, 06:31 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Van-Egmond-reflects-on-mixed-performance/49011

seems pretty confident/reliant on the fact we're signing another player, from overseas. i guess it's the first bit of marquee news in a while that isn't the usual "right for the club, right for the money" waffle.

also, :gent:

No where does he mention marquee, I'd be shocked if this is anything other then a normal visa player & judging by the visa signings I'd imagine it could be a younger signing, actually it does not even mention a visa spot so clearly.....Bring back Griff!

Blackmac79
11-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Can't be bothered to post article due to using mobile. However there is an article doing the rounds that says that the new TV deal is $40million + $5million contra, fox to broadcast all HAL and Roos games live, SBS with 1 HAL game live (Saturday night), and all Roos games on 1hour delay, with a probable highlights package as well.

Whole deal worth in excess of $200million, standing us in good stead for expansion to 12 teams in the HAL leading into 2015 AFC cup.

Salary cap likely to increase, however expansion could prevent this. By creating more professional positions, increasing player share that way.

Clubs should get their $2.5million from next season, making it hard to see how a well run club could make a loss.

pv4
11-09-2012, 08:36 AM
article

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-is-set-to-return-to-free-to-air-television-with-a-deal-done-with-sbs/story-e6frfg8x-1226471374024

belchardo
11-09-2012, 09:21 AM
i'll believe it when i see it announced at a press conference.

belchardo
11-09-2012, 09:23 AM
also, aren't WCQ supposed to be on the anti-siphoning list now, or has that not been formally adopted yet?

hauss
11-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Can't be bothered to post article due to using mobile. However there is an article doing the rounds that says that the new TV deal is $40million + $5million contra, fox to broadcast all HAL and Roos games live, SBS with 1 HAL game live (Saturday night), and all Roos games on 1hour delay, with a probable highlights package as well.

Whole deal worth in excess of $200million, standing us in good stead for expansion to 12 teams in the HAL leading into 2015 AFC cup.

Salary cap likely to increase, however expansion could prevent this. By creating more professional positions, increasing player share that way.

Clubs should get their $2.5million from next season, making it hard to see how a well run club could make a loss.

I will be a little bit disappointed with $40million.

It still doesn't add up mathematically for me though.

I may not have completely accurate figures, but the current deal was around $120m over 7 years or $17m a year. The clubs get around $1.2m in a grant - or $12 million in total. So this is 70% of the tv money (not taking into account other sources of revenue). Now if the grant goes up to $40m and clubs get $2.5m each, they will get 62.5% of the money, but where does the rest go? The FFA's football pyramid isn't changing, so it shouldn't really need much more money to support its other operations, Socceroos, Matildas etc.

My belief has always been that the A-League generates most of the tv rights revenue but the FFA has always played this down, IMO to ensure it can take enough money to fund its football pyramid. Bonita Mersiades has made a few veiled references to this. I wouldn't be surprised if the club owners wise up to this and start demanding a larger share off the FFA.

The A-League should get almost all the increased revenue, which would take the grant to $3.5m for each team. It needn't be given unconditionally, it could be tied to forcing the clubs to create their own youth development system similar to the Emerging Jets plan.

$50m a year would be a better outcome. However, a deal like this would at least completely stabilise the game. Hopefully the deal is for less than 5 years, as I expect the game to come on greatly in the medium term.

furns
11-09-2012, 10:11 AM
actually according to FFA spin doctors the Socceroos generate most of the tv revenue

hauss
11-09-2012, 10:26 AM
actually according to FFA spin doctors the Socceroos generate most of the tv revenue

Yes, that's what they say. It may have been true 5 years ago, but I doubt its the case now. The A-League provides substantially more content at prime time. It generates supporter loyalty and this would lead to paytv subscriptions.

The Socceroo World Cup qualifiers are now on the anti syphoning list (which would devalue them) and are not even owned by the FFA, they are owned by some Asian confederation sports group whos name escapes me. FFA only owns the rights to friendlies. To gain any revenue from the Qualifiers they would have to buy them off that sports group and on-sell them, which would only result in marginal profit.

In any case, I highly doubt the Socceroo rights are the reason for tv rights going from $17m a season to $40m. The only reason I can see for the A-League not getting most of that increase is if the FFA were determined to decrease the cost of playing football for registered juniors, but that could end up being a dangerous black hole for money. I'd rather it be spent at the elite level.

belchardo
11-09-2012, 10:34 AM
don't forget whatever ridiculous amount of money is being given to the negotiator company. can't remember their name, but aren't they getting something like 20% (could be talking out my arse here).

and far out, juniors have been subsidising the 'elite' at all levels for far too long, about time some money started flowing back down the bloody hill.

hauss
11-09-2012, 10:42 AM
don't forget whatever ridiculous amount of money is being given to the negotiator company. can't remember their name, but aren't they getting something like 20% (could be talking out my arse here).

and far out, juniors have been subsidising the 'elite' at all levels for far too long, about time some money started flowing back down the bloody hill.

Not sure about the first point, you may be right, in which case a $40m deal will be disasterous and Buckley a complete failure in everything he did at the FFA.

How much does the FFA take from every junior player? I doubt it is significant (read somewhere that it is $12). My bet is that if the FFA tried to subsidise the cost of playing soccer for juniors, some middle man (state federations, ground owners, insurance companies, clubs) would find some way to justify increasing his costs and it would leave parents no better off or only marginally better off.

Pico
11-09-2012, 11:12 AM
The socceroo's right's are held by WSG, FFA will earn $1m per game same as the rest of the AFC nations, which I can't see SBS matching so it looks like WSG might be paying FFA to have FTA socceroo's broadcast, so much for the dooms day preicted due to the Anti-siphon list.

Also the deal includes $5m of contra so it's really only $35m in cash.

I also agree hauss if all the value was in the socceroo's and not the A-League then why is it that Fox won't release the A-league rights for this year but are happy to do so for the socceroo's games from October, granted on delay.

MFKS
11-09-2012, 11:14 AM
SOCCER will be back on free-to-air television next month with a $40 million-a-year deal likely to be signed this week.

Fox Sports will continue to televise every domestic and international match live.

The Herald Sun understands SBS will also secure rights for A-League matches for four years from 2013, plus Socceroos games for five years.

SBS staved off a late bid from Network 10, which re-entered the race after missing out on NRL rights three weeks ago.

Kicking in a year earlier, the Socceroos' World Cup qualifiers will be televised on SBS on a one-hour delay, starting with a qualifier away to Iraq on October 16.

However, A-League will likely have to wait another year before games are shown on free-to-air.

The Herald Sun understands SBS will televise one live game a week - probably Saturday night.
Full Digital Access - $5 for first 28 days

While SBS was keen to start immediately, Fox Sports wanted to retain exclusivity until 2013, when the present deal expires.

SBS may also screen a weekly highlights package.

The $40 million-per-year deal is likely to include at least $5 million in contra, with Fox Sports paying the lion's share. Fox Sports has had exclusive rights for A-League and Socceroos World Cup qualifiers and friendlies since 2005. The last deal was worth $21 million a year, incorporating $3 million of contra.

Football Federation Australia is proposing to lift the annual club dividend to $2.5 million once the deal kicks in (it already agreed to up the disbursement from $1.45 million to $1.9 million last July), covering the salary cap.

A-League owners are expected to fight for a larger sum.

Fox Sports executives were unavailable for comment and SBS head of sport Ken Shipp last night declined to comment.

Chief executive Ben Buckley remained tight-lipped last night and stressed that FFA was in no rush.

"We will take as much time as we need to take to get the agreement right and that's what we've said all along," Buckley said.

FFA has enjoyed a testy relationship with SBS.

Blackmac79
11-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Socceroos will be broadcast on SBS at 2:30am with a half hour delay. Full match will be replayed at 7am.

Pico
11-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Watch Socceroos v Jordan on SBS
11 September 2012-SBS

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/resize/file/6425_socceroos640.jpg/id/86927/w/310/h/174
Back on SBS... The Socceroos make their return to their spiritual home (Getty)

SBS will broadcast the next step of Australia's journey to the Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup when the Socceroos take on Jordan in their next qualifier on Wednesday 12 September Australian time.

Jordan v Socceroos preview

Holger Osieck

Socceroos wary of Jordan threat

Thanks to a deal struck between Football Federation Australia, Fox Sports and SBS, the match will be broadcast on a one-hour delay free-to-air on SBS ONE, with coverage set to start at 2.30am AEST.

Broadcast details

Jordan v Australia
Delayed on SBS ONE from 2.30am AEST
Kick-off on SBS ONE 3am AEST

Exclusively live coverage will be on Fox Sports 3 HD from 1.30am AEST.

"SBS already has a long standing commitment to international football and we are passionate about this opportunity to work with FFA and Fox Sports to help grow the game in Australia," Ken Shipp, Head of Sport at SBS, said.

The match sees the national team's World Cup qualifiers return to free-to-air television some seven years after John Aloisi's historic penalty against Uruguay sent Australia to the Germany 2006 FIFA World Cup live on SBS.

SBS's coverage of Jordan v Australia will be hosted by Les Murray, with former Socceroos Craig Foster, David Zdrilic and Zeljko Kalac providing all the expert analysis.

In announcing the broadcast arrangement for the Jordan v Australia match, FFA CEO Ben Buckley said: "I thank our long-term partner Fox Sports for accommodating this arrangement.

"Australian football would not have achieved so much growth and development since 2005 without the significant investment of Fox Sports.

"I welcome SBS TV's support in broadcasting Wednesday's match. SBS has a rich history in covering domestic and international Australian football.

"FFA is currently in on-going discussions with Fox Sports and SBS over the long-term broadcast rights in Australian football.

"The discussions have reached an advanced stage and the parties have displayed good faith, which has allowed this one-off arrangement for Wednesday's match."

The Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Senator Stephen Conroy, welcomed the announcement.

"For the good of the game I congratulate everyone involved in showing the Socceroos game tomorrow morning," Senator Conroy said.

"It’s great to see that all Australian football fans will have the chance to cheer on their Socceroos as they work to qualify for the World Cup."

So was the Terror right about the media deal being done, or have they jumped the gun a little early, how pissed would SBS be if Buckley uses this to push 10 for more $$$$$

Blackmac79
12-09-2012, 07:07 AM
The Australian

Wanderers won't shift on Del Piero match

by: Ray Gatt
September 12, 2012 12:00AM

Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print

Tweet this

THE Alessandro Del Piero phenomenon has not budged new A-League entity Western Sydney Wanderers, with the club refusing to switch the derby against Sydney FC to a bigger venue.

Despite fears thousands of fans could be locked out when the Italian legend plays for the Sky Blues against Wanderers in the third round of the competition on October 20, Western Sydney officials will leave the match at Parramatta Stadium.

The venue can hold only 20,000 and, with suggestions double the amount would attend the game because of the Del Piero factor, there were calls for the club to move it to the 80,000-capacity ANZ Stadium.

However, executive chairman Lyall Gorman said the Wanderers were determined to keep faith with their fans.

"We listened to the football community of western Sydney and they voted overwhelmingly in favour of Parramatta Stadium as the Wanderers' home ground," he said.

"We understand that our first ever match, against the Mariners (October 6), and the first ever Sydney derby will be hot tickets and that some of the public may miss out, but our commitment to our members comes first."

Gorman suggested the best way not to miss out was to become a foundation member of WSW. "Anyone thinking about becoming a Wanderers foundation member should move quickly," he said.

"Once the national on-sale commences, I think the Wanderers' home matches, particularly the Sydney derby, will be in high demand."

The Wanderers yesterday added two foreign players to their squad, boosting numbers to 18.

Italian Iacopo La Rocca and Dutchman Youssouf Hersi have signed one-year deals.

La Rocca, 28, a defensive midfielder, has had one trial and impressed coach Tony Popovic enough to earn a contract.

The Italian has has had stints in Italy and Switzerland.

Hersi, 30, adds experience to the Wanderers' defence after stints in The Netherlands, Greece and Cyprus.

Meanwhile, Newcastle Jets coach Gary van Egmond is understood to be looking at signing former star striker Joel Griffiths, who is playing for Chinese Super League club Shanghai Shenhua.

However, the club is also believed to be chasing a marquee player after seeing the reaction to Del Piero's signing at Sydney.

Griffiths, 33, has played 11 games this season with Shanghai and scored three goals.

Thought I should put this 'ere.

hauss
12-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Thought I should put this 'ere.

Fantastic news, but what kind of marquee striker can they get at this late stage? I doubt it would be one that just finished with a sparkling career at a huge club in a top league and is also a striker that can get 12+ goals, which is what we need the most.

Jets: Get Joel this year and look for a marquee next year. The league can ride on the coat tails of Del Piero. Only someone like Totti or Ronaldihno would rival Del Piero.

Not signing Joel will be a real missed opportunity for the supporters - he loves us and we love him.

pv4
12-09-2012, 08:34 AM
not too sure who this Joel griffiths bloke is but I say give him a chance, hey

boz-monaut
12-09-2012, 08:45 AM
more people in Newcastle know Joel Griffiths than Alessandro Del Piero by a factor of about ten

why waste money on a foreigner no one knows when you can bring in the proven people's favourite?

Disinterested Bystander
12-09-2012, 09:06 AM
more people in Newcastle know Joel Griffiths than Alessandro Del Piero by a factor of about ten

why waste money on a foreigner no one knows when you can bring in the proven people's favourite?

This. I really don't get the media hype about del Piero tbh. Sure he might bring a few extra euro snobs and old sokkah Italians through the gates but that's just preaching to the converted.

All the 'biggest signing in HAL history' crap ignores the fact that very few people other than soccer fans are going to know (or care) who he is and some random Italian guy isn't going to see packed houses around the country.

Jetmaster
12-09-2012, 09:13 AM
I'll rain on the parade.....

Tarek determined to push aside emotion

FORMER fan favourite Tarek Elrich is determined to block out the emotion of his first trip back to Newcastle and concentrate on helping new club Western Sydney Wanderers get a result over the Jets in a friendly at Wanderers Oval, Broadmeadow, on Saturday.
Elrich, the Jets' most capped player with 134 games, was shown the door in acrimonious circumstances at the end of last season.
The 2007-08 championship winner was told of his release via text message just before the news was circulated on email to the media and club members.
"I played in Newcastle for seven years, so it is going to be a bit different," he said.
"I'm going to put that aside and not let the occasion get the better of me.
"We want to play a certain style. There is no way I am going to go out on my own and do something different just because it's against Newcastle.
"You don't want the emotion to get the better of you."
Elrich, 25, was one of six former Jets alongside Nikolai Topor-Stanley, Labinot Haliti and fellow title winners Adam D'Apuzzo, Ante Covic and Mark Bridge snapped up by the start-up franchise.
"It's been great," Elrich said.
"[Coach] Tony Popovic let us know exactly what he expected from day one.
"It wasn't like going to a new place where you are the new one coming in.
"Everyone coming in was new. That made it easier than going to another established club.
"Players didn't come here as a last resort.
"They left their clubs because they wanted to play for this team."
Elrich was used in a wide attacking role in the latter stage of his career in Newcastle but under Popovic has returned to his more accustomed position in defence.
"I have been playing at right back, but Poppa has given me the licence to attack," Elrich said.
"If play breaks down, he wants other boys to cover rather than me sprinting back 100 metres.
"We are playing a 4-3-3 similar to the Jets.
"But we defend in one style and attack in a different style."
Elrich is expected to be joined in the starting side on Saturday by Covic (goalkeeper), Topor-Stanley (centre back), D'Apuzzo (left back), Bridge (striker) and Haliti (striker).
"They are in the best shape I have seen them in and have never been as hungry," Elrich said of his teammates.
"The Jets started pre-season six weeks before we did, but the training down here is the toughest pre-season I have done."
Wanderers completed their overseas player quota yesterday with confirmation Italian defender Iacopo La Rocca and Dutch midfielder Youssouf Hersi had agreed to terms.
The Jets still have one visa place to fill.
Talks with an Italian striker broke down last week and they have now turned their attention to a Brazilian front man.
The Herald understands that 2007-08 golden boot winner Joel Griffiths is also back in the frame.
Griffiths, 33, is off contract at Chinese Super League team Shanghai Shenhua and, although he could earn more in China or the Middle East, he is open to a return to Newcastle.

Coach Gary van Egmond is believed to be in favour of getting Griffiths back but has not convinced management.

There was also speculation yesterday that the exposure Sydney FC had garnered with the recruitment of Italian superstar Alessando Del Piero had given Jets management cause to look again at signing a big-name marquee player.
The transfer window for most European countries closed on August 31, meaning the Jets can sign only players who are out of contract and unlikely to have played since May.
Saturday's trial kicks off at 2pm and is open only to Jets and Wanderers members.

The fans want him, the coach wants him and he wants to come back......who is "management" ? Some open fan protesting may be required.

hauss
12-09-2012, 09:17 AM
This. I really don't get the media hype about del Piero tbh. Sure he might bring a few extra euro snobs and old sokkah Italians through the gates but that's just preaching to the converted.

All the 'biggest signing in HAL history' crap ignores the fact that very few people other than soccer fans are going to know (or care) who he is and some random Italian guy isn't going to see packed houses around the country.

But he is the biggest signing in HAL history. Del Piero will attract 1.The old NSL stayaways/euro centric fans, 2. more committed A-League fans, and 3. bandwagoners who are after entertainment/to be part of something big/to see what the fuss is all about. Two of these three groups don't currently go to Sydney FC games and A-League games in general. Del Piero's name will attract group 1 and 2, the all important "media hype" will attract group 3.

It's the perfect storm.

Thomas477
12-09-2012, 09:45 AM
If we have a choice between a marquee like del Piero and Griff.

Sign Griff FFS.

pv4
12-09-2012, 09:45 AM
The fans want him, the coach wants him and he wants to come back......who is "management" ? Some open fan protesting may be required.

I think you'll find that Robbie middleby involves himself with transfers a bit more than required. I know he did for a particular yoof signing, and that turned out disastrously. wouldn't be surprised if Robbie isn't a personal fan of griff & this is the only thing stopping it going ahead.

I suggest we flash mob the jets office

pv4
12-09-2012, 09:51 AM
I also suggest we get furnz to write a glorious letter, and we email-bomb the jets contact email. like we did for the colour changes.

Pico
12-09-2012, 09:53 AM
What happens when he leaves....

That's my issue with throwing millions after a name player at the end of their career, I'm much happier with the club throwing more funds at the emerging jets program and the prospect of the great one returning to cap off his career, bring Griffo home!

hauss
12-09-2012, 09:55 AM

Sign Griff FFS.

Me too. Sydney is in a different position to us. They need a Del Piero. We need the Griff.

Bon
12-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Sydney having Del Piero will put bums on seats, but I can't see them doing any good as a squad.. As my old-boy said to me (not sure if he plagiarised it), they have got a Ferrari playing in front of a bunch of Fiats..

plague
12-09-2012, 10:11 AM
The fans want him, the coach wants him and he wants to come back......who is "management" ?.

This has Deans' fingerprints all over it.

Guerny
12-09-2012, 10:20 AM

Sign Griff FFS.

I hate to be the one calling this out... but...

You'd rather JG who has basically been chasing $$$ in the chinese league for a cashed up no-name team, then a worldwide football legend who recently guided his team undefeated to a championship in one of the toughest leagues in the world?

I love the griff as much as anyone but if it was him or someone like del piero... i might have to think on it at least....

;)

G

hauss
12-09-2012, 10:35 AM
I hate to be the one calling this out... but...

You'd rather JG who has basically been chasing $$$ in the chinese league for a cashed up no-name team, then a worldwide football legend who recently guided his team undefeated to a championship in one of the toughest leagues in the world?

I love the griff as much as anyone but if it was him or someone like del piero... i might have to think on it at least....

;)

G

he said "like" del piero. we can't get the man himself.

the answer would still be yes. you claim all joel has been doing is chasing $$$ in china but what would it say about us if we chose a del piero over a great A-League player who we love and who loves us? We would be the ones showing a lack of loyalty. What if he went on to play for WSW, for example. I'd be absolutely gutted.

it should be the easiest transfer deal in A-League history. I would hate to be the person in Jets management standing in the way of it if it doesn't go ahead. I would urge them to step out of the way. We will get 11,000 members if Griffo comes back.

snake
12-09-2012, 10:42 AM
I also suggest we get furnz to write a glorious letter, and we email-bomb the jets contact email. like we did for the colour changes.

get on this ferns

Guerny
12-09-2012, 11:08 AM
We would be the ones showing a lack of loyalty. What if he went on to play for WSW, for example. I'd be absolutely gutted.

True i was gutted when Nicky went to Sydney rather than came back here... Was that loyal on his behalf? Was it a smart career decision?
Was Joel loyal when he left to go to china? Was that a smart career decision?

No player is ever going to let loyalty get in the way of a better offer (and I dont blame them).

Joel will be weighing any and all offers that are made to him, irrespective of if they are from us or another a-league team or a middle eastern team, etc ...

Why shouldn't management be doing the same and weighing Joel up against any alternatives that are possible?

Realistically we're not going to throw $4M at a player for the Jets, so for the money we could probably get JG for, I would gleefully take him back.

Lets hope we do make him an offer and no one offers him too much more.

G

Newieutd
12-09-2012, 11:45 AM
GVE will be the greatest ever if we get the Griff back...

BodyNovo
12-09-2012, 12:11 PM
get on this ferns

start an email/letter campaign to furnz for furnz to start a email/letter campaign against the HSGHPNUJFC.

The kids, the women and the men want griff.

Grunta
12-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Don't how deep and meanigfull we need to get with the letter about signing Griff. Below is what I just sent them.

"To Whom It May Concern

Sign Griff"

Lob a few thousand of these on there system and someone might take notice.

Cheers

pv4
12-09-2012, 01:26 PM
whats the address to send to?

I figure we can pop a few hundred emails to them before the 23 hours is up

Grunta
12-09-2012, 01:38 PM
whats the address to send to?

I figure we can pop a few hundred emails to them before the 23 hours is up

PV4 go to the "about us" > "contact us" and I sent it to there "info@" email address.

evolution
12-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Don't how deep and meanigfull we need to get with the letter about signing Griff. Below is what I just sent them.

"To Whom It May Concern

Sign Griff"

Lob a few thousand of these on there system and someone might take notice.

Cheers

Done.

pv4
12-09-2012, 02:05 PM
done, tagged email with high importance. below is my email, feel free to expand/improve it and send it yourself.

To the managers in charge of player transfers/contracts

Please sign Joel Michael Griffiths for the upcoming A-league season. His impact to the Newcastle community will in my opinion be just as great as if we were to sign someone of Del Piero's status.

If (as reported today in the media this morning) Gary van Egmond is keen on signing Griffiths, I implore you to politely wake the fxxx up & jump on this opportunity ASAP.

Regards,
pv4

longshot
12-09-2012, 02:14 PM
done, tagged email with high importance. below is my email, feel free to expand/improve it and send it yourself.

Newcastle will get the 11000 + members if they do sign Griff.

Disinterested Bystander
12-09-2012, 02:33 PM
But he is the biggest signing in HAL history. Del Piero will attract 1.The old NSL stayaways/euro centric fans, 2. more committed A-League fans, and 3. bandwagoners who are after entertainment/to be part of something big/to see what the fuss is all about. Two of these three groups don't currently go to Sydney FC games and A-League games in general. Del Piero's name will attract group 1 and 2, the all important "media hype" will attract group 3.

It's the perfect storm.

1. You might get a few of these, but I'd wager that given most of the old NSL holdouts have been cutting of their noses to spite their faces since the HAL began they're not going to get hordes of them turning up just because some famous European is running around. As for the euro snobs, it's still the A League, so like ewwwww.

2. The committed HAL fans are already turning out to games. You might get a few Sydney based fans of other teams going along to neutral games but again it won't be thousands.

3. The media hype is coming from soccer journos/publications not the mainstream media, ie it's not front page news. So the unless the bandwagoners are reading Cockerill's articles or checking out 442 etc they're not really going to know about Del Piero. Even if they do stumble across an article, why are they going to care about some over the hill Italian bloke regardless of the fact that he'll probably walk the league. To the vast majority of casual fans he's a non entity. Look at HK last year, there were no rivers of gold flowing from his appearances and to the average Aussie non soccer fan he'd be close to the most 'known' Socceroo.

The other problem is apart from the number 2's you're unlikley to get long term investment/interest in the HAL based on a short term attention grab. Look at the Beckham games - big crowds for us and Sydney which converted into two thirds of ****all in terms of subsequent attendances. And he's probably the mack daddy of all headline grabbing, bandwagoner grabbing players.

pv4
12-09-2012, 02:37 PM
at first i thought ADP wouldn't sway eurosnobs too much, but i talked to a former nsl fan/current eurosnob on the weekend & he's stinging to see ADP. him, and he said up to 10 euro-families around newcastle he's close to, are all getting sydney fc memberships just to see ADP in the flesh.

i think eurosnobs will definately be swayed.

Blackmac79
12-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Will send an email when I get home. Also tweeted the club.

sammydog
12-09-2012, 03:18 PM
The other problem is apart from the number 2's you're unlikley to get long term investment/interest in the HAL based on a short term attention grab. Look at the Beckham games - big crowds for us and Sydney which converted into two thirds of ****all in terms of subsequent attendances. And he's probably the mack daddy of all headline grabbing, bandwagoner grabbing players.

The difference with the beckham games is that they were one offs. If the Old School NSL fans and Euro Snobs get a membership to sydney, the chances are there that over a season (or two) watching the team a proportion of them will form a connection to the club and keep supporting once Del Piero leaves.

the Beckham games being one off's were never going to have a long term impact. Only highlight there is potential.

selassie
12-09-2012, 03:46 PM
at first i thought ADP wouldn't sway eurosnobs too much, but i talked to a former nsl fan/current eurosnob on the weekend & he's stinging to see ADP. him, and he said up to 10 euro-families around newcastle he's close to, are all getting sydney fc memberships just to see ADP in the flesh.

i think eurosnobs will definately be swayed.

can back this up, da wogs love him. heaps of juve fans from adelaide and melbourne will be flying up to sydney to watch him play.

ADP also gets extra marks for staying with Juve while they were in 'B'

hauss
12-09-2012, 03:58 PM
The difference with the beckham games is that they were one offs. If the Old School NSL fans and Euro Snobs get a membership to sydney, the chances are there that over a season (or two) watching the team a proportion of them will form a connection to the club and keep supporting once Del Piero leaves.

the Beckham games being one off's were never going to have a long term impact. Only highlight there is potential.

Also, like Beckham in the MLS, other lesser marquees may be attracted to the A-League to play along side or against Del Piero.

It will be interesting to see what signings clubs are able to make next off-season. There will be an interest in Sydney FC in Italy, I read that members of Del Piero's fan base in Japan are looking to fly to Sydney to attend games.

I really can't see where you are coming from Disinterested Bystander. Except if, as your name suggest, you've got no interest in the game. It was frontpage news. It was frontpage of the Daily Telegraph and he hasn't even arrived or played a game yet. Not all A-League supporters attend every game. Sydney FC supporters who maybe only attended a few games a year will now get full year memberships. Del Piero is only here for two years so it is up to the league and clubs to take advantage of it so that there is a legacy. Having a bigger tv deal sorted out shortly will allow them to do this.

Blackmac79
12-09-2012, 05:15 PM
J. Griffiths > Del Piero

Tommyjet
12-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Anyone else think its just the herald spreading wild rumours again because of the angst between hsg and them, like the time it was karim ziani about to be signed instead of ribiero and last weeks rumour that we were signing an Italian while all that del piero shit was happening.
I hope it's all true about j.friff and other but really I've stopped believing the herald

Rocky
12-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Done. 5 times. Farken.

militiamon
12-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Have we signed Joelessandro Del Griffo yet?

GazFish35
12-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Maybe Remo didn't get the memo about Con getting stabbed in the back by that Westfields guy, and has told the herald he's discovered the next Christian Vieri playing in serieD.

Q man is in Italy?
Perhaps he's been spotted by Spaletti and he's tipped off his old mate GVE.

De-Champ
13-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Maybe Remo didn't get the memo about Con getting stabbed in the back by that Westfields guy, and has told the herald he's discovered the next Christian Vieri playing in serieD.

Q man is in Italy?
Perhaps he's been spotted by Spaletti and he's tipped off his old mate GVE.
That would truly be remarkable...Spaletti is in Russia

GazFish35
13-09-2012, 12:19 PM
but the club wouldnt know that

lil_masi
13-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Anyone heard news on how Brown's surgery went? All to plan?

Think they initially mentioned he'll miss first 2 games.

snake
13-09-2012, 04:54 PM
griff

q-money
13-09-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm in Paris for talks with ibra

De-Champ
13-09-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm in Paris for talks with ibra

You don't need an i-bra

MFKS
13-09-2012, 09:42 PM
As I was reading the article the impression I got was GVE wants Griff HSG not sure and wants big name marquee ala ADP.

Now I have worked this out.

HSG Sign big name marquee ie Shevchenko, Ruud Van Nistelrooy .

Deans is fired. Galloway and Jesic punted. Griff bought in with the money saved from these hacks being on the books. Ruben Zads is giving a new upgraded contract and Mitchy Cooper is made captain.

The world is in perfect harmony and everyone wins and Toilet Seat and ACL and Club World Championships await the Jets

I am slightly disappointed in GVE here. If he truly wants Griff then come out all guns blazing about it. Put HSG in a spot when the fans start turning on them if they delay/refuse to bring Griff home. Easy way to do it is make enough of a song and dance about it that it makes the front page of the Newy Herald. We all know Tinks must read it daily to check on any defamation proceedings he can launch against the hacks with their unrelenting Anti Tinks campaign. Get his attention while he is slumped over his Coco Pops

true waterboy
13-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Mitchy Cooper is made captain.

:cool:

Jetmaster
14-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Herald today....

Fan lockout not issue for Magic

By JOSH LEESON Sept. 13, 2012, 10:11 p.m.

BROADMEADOW Magic president Steven Foteff is confident tomorrow's Newcastle Jets members-only trial against Western Sydney will not exceed the capacity of Wanderers Oval.
The suburban Broadmeadow ground has a capacity of 5000, which was almost reached last Sunday for the grand final of the Northern NSW State League between Magic and Hamilton Olympic.
The Jets have about 8000 members and the match is also open to Wanderers members, who number about 2000.
A crowd of 2000 turned out for the Jets trial against Wellington Phoenix at Weston Park on a Saturday night last month.
The newly launched Wanderers are likely to attract a larger crowd due to the fact they have a host of ex-Jets players in their line-up, including Tarek Elrich, Mark Bridge, Adam D'Apuzzo, Ante Covic and Labinot Haliti.
The more child-friendly kick-off time of 2pm plus activities like a jumping castle, face painting and a players autograph session should also bump up the attendance.
Magic hold the long-term lease of Wanderers Oval and will provide catering for the event.
Foteff is confident they will not be turning away many, if any, fans.
"I don't expect that every member is going to turn up," Foteff said.
"We've had some strategy meetings with the Jets, and their consensus for the crowd is between four and five [thousand].
"I think it's virtually impossible to get every member to arrive at one game, especially a trial game."
Foteff said Magic's volunteers had a proven track record of managing major soccer games and a crowd of 5000 would not be an issue.
"We're planning for four to five, and we know we can do that," he said.
"We're regularly holding those sort of events during finals and grand finals.
"We had an exceptional grand final and the field was like one of those old-fashioned football fields where everyone is close to the game, and we're hoping to replicate that at the weekend."
Meanwhile, Jets midfielder James Brown will undergo surgery on his troublesome ankle next Tuesday.
Brown has not played since the explosive trial between the Jets and Phoenix on August 18.
The Jets yesterday trained with a three-man defensive line in preparation for tomorrow's first meeting with Western Sydney.
Scott Neville, Josh Mitchell and Dominik Ritter were the back three, and Ruben Zadkovich, Jobe Wheelhouse, Ben Kantarovski and Bernardo Ribeiro formed the midfield.
Jets coach Gary van Egmond pushed regular left back Craig Goodwin further up the pitch in an attacking role to join Ryan Griffiths and James Virgili.

Dunno - bit worried about this now it's open to WSW fans - I can see 4-5000 of our fans turning up, perfect time and a nice day expected. In that lull between football and cricket seasons. Depends how many WSW bring up. I think I might need to get there early.

Jetmaster
14-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Article on San.....I mean, Puzz......

Former Jet regains passion for A-League in new colours

By JOSH LEESON Sept. 13, 2012, 10:11 p.m.

UNLIKE most of his peers, Adam D'Apuzzo always wanted more from life than being a professional footballer.
See your ad hereThe beautiful game was a passion for the former Jets left back but there were other avenues he dreamed of exploring.
At the end of season 2010-11 , D'Apuzzo closed his 102-game A-League career with Newcastle and moved home to Sydney.
In the 18 months since he has married his long-term partner, Cara Sargo, played for NSW Premier League club APIA Leichhardt and used his masters in business degree to work at multinational accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers.
But when West Sydney Wanderers coach Tony Popovic called the 25-year-old to trial for the new A-League franchise, it reignited D'Apuzzo's passion for football.
"I always thought if I got the call I'd like to see how I felt," D'Apuzzo told the Newcastle Herald yesterday.
"When I went back there, I fell in love with it. I loved the coaching staff, the players they have, so I'm right back into it and enjoying myself more than ever."
D'Apuzzo's career at PricewaterhouseCoopers is on hold while he launches the second phase of his A-League career at Wanderers.
It is a second coming D'Apuzzo intends to enjoy.
"Before I took it too much as a job and I probably put too much of a burden on myself, so mentally it was quite hard," he said.
I've taken a more light-hearted approach and I'm really enjoying it. So you could say the year off has done me wonders."
Tomorrow D'Apuzzo will return to Newcastle with other former Jets Tarek Elrich, Labinot Haliti, Mark Bridge and Ante Covic to play for West Sydney in a members-only trial at Wanderers Oval.
"I've only been back to Newcastle once since leaving and I guess I'll look forward to seeing the boys and catching up, but once you cross that white line you've got to get your job done," D'Apuzzo said.

GazFish35
14-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Herald today....

Dunno - bit worried about this now it's open to WSW fans - I can see 4-5000 of our fans turning up, perfect time and a nice day expected. In that lull between football and cricket seasons. Depends how many WSW bring up. I think I might need to get there early.

WSW played parramatta at parramatta stadium last weekend and 1300 turned up.
I reckon there will be very few Wanderers traveling.

furns
14-09-2012, 11:39 AM
WSW played parramatta at parramatta stadium last weekend and 1300 turned up.
I reckon there will be very few Wanderers traveling.Plus it wasnt publicised that WSW members were also allowed in until this week

Jetmaster
14-09-2012, 12:06 PM
True - anyway, it would be nice to fill it.

Grunta
14-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Gates open at 1.00pm.

Will be waiting outside for them to open :)

Bon
14-09-2012, 01:52 PM
I know its been said by others, but I'm pretty annoyed that this game is coinciding with grand finals..

Jetsetted
14-09-2012, 02:12 PM
do you have a better suggestion Bon?

Bon
14-09-2012, 02:15 PM
do you have a better suggestion Bon?

Hahaha No mate.. I wasn't trying to change the world or anything..
Just reading all the talk about the trial game, and also being psyched up for our grand final.. Wishing there was some magical answer but there isn't..

Jetsetted
14-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Fair enough, good luck for the weekend.

Thomas477
14-09-2012, 02:20 PM
I know its been said by others, but I'm pretty annoyed that this game is coinciding with grand finals..

Only the Zone Leagues though, Interdistrict and NNSW comps finished last weekend and HCCF the week before that.

I find it strange though that the ZL aren't run parrallel to the other comps.

russjaybee
14-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Would be going if it wasn't for ZL finals ffs.

Pico
14-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Johnston offers to help design football headquarters
By DAMON CRONSHAW
Sept. 13, 2012, 10:41 p.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-5kfsp4NEeEvSvAN3kC8tUn/0448d74c-7d7d-40ca-9968-cdeb222d4d35.jpg

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-5kfsp4NEeEvSvAN3kC8tUn/2a713c80-6f2e-4940-8911-2d274bf6651c.jpg

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-5kfsp4NEeEvSvAN3kC8tUn/aac2f2c6-1edf-4c85-a747-05afc373b770.jpg

NEWCASTLE'S greatest footballer Craig Johnston has given a ringing endorsement to the proposed $11 million regional football headquarters planned at Speers Point Park.

Johnston grew up at Speers Point and played junior football for Lake Macquarie before moving to England and starring for Liverpool.

Johnston said Speers Point was a nursery for football talent.

"It's a prime area for it, always has been," Johnston, 52, said.

He has offered to help Northern NSW Football design the facility, which is planned to include two full-sized synthetic fields, 10 five-a-side courts and a multipurpose centre.

Johnston designed similar projects in England, working with the British government.

"I've developed a system of 3D grids for dribbling, passing, heading, shooting and touch, control, feel," he said.

"You could waste a lot of money on something everybody else has, but I'd like to help them build something extraordinary."

Johnston said Speers Point was an "idyllic place" for growing up and playing football.

"Never a day would pass where we weren't playing soccer, surfing or jumping off the old pier at Speers Point," he said.

Johnston, who lives in Florida, would like to return home and work on a football project. His parents and sister live in Lake Macquarie.

"I've been looking for a place to house the Johnston Academy and transfer my knowledge and expertise," Johnston said.

"Speers Point would be ideal."

Northern NSW Football chief executive David Eland said concept drawings had been done for the project, but the "next step is the intricate design".

"With a guy like Craig's pedigree and experience in the game, we'd be mad not to have a discussion with him," Mr Eland said.

Northern NSW Football will provide $4 million for the project and Lake Macquarie City Council will seek the rest from the NSW government.

www.theherald.com.au/story/334360/johnston-offers-to-help-design-football-headquarters/?cs=305

Geez seems everyone wants to get in on the academies now, would like to see Johnson get involved with some newy projects.

pv4
14-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Johnson wouldn't come cheap, the only problem.

MFKS
14-09-2012, 03:57 PM
That article rings of give me a call and I have some ideas but it's gonna cost you some coin

boz-monaut
14-09-2012, 04:12 PM
agree, he's had financial troubles so I wouldn't put it past him

plus he can hardly call himself Australian when he turned his back on us to play for England

pv4
14-09-2012, 04:14 PM
the only way you can say he's not money-driven anymore is he's wound up with a sugar-mumma so is financially sorted. but the type of guy he is - wouldn't put it past him to say "I'll do it for the community" whilst chargin a motza.

no disrespect to Liverpool fans, who I'm sure get offended when anything non-glowing gets said about their boi

hawk
14-09-2012, 04:42 PM
the only way you can say he's not money-driven anymore is he's wound up with a sugar-mumma so is financially sorted. but the type of guy he is - wouldn't put it past him to say "I'll do it for the community" whilst chargin a motza.

no disrespect to Liverpool fans, who I'm sure get offended when anything non-glowing gets said about their boi
Why are you sure?
I thought jonno gave the game away like his cash. Prefer to leave the specialsist work to the professionals for mine.

Grunta
14-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Hahaha No mate.. I wasn't trying to change the world or anything..
Just reading all the talk about the trial game, and also being psyched up for our grand final.. Wishing there was some magical answer but there isn't..

Hey Bon I'll be watching the Jets with fingers crossed for the Burbs. Good luck.

Zico
14-09-2012, 08:53 PM
agree, he's had financial troubles so I wouldn't put it past him

plus he can hardly call himself Australian when he turned his back on us to play for England
"Representing Australia in Football is like representing England for surfing". He was a great player but a dick of a man who has a long history of stuffing up almost everything he touches (post football). The bloke should be a multi millionare 10 times over with his different ventures that worked a charm but then failed through one reason or nothing. That being said I'd still like NNSWFF to give him an ear and hear if what he says or demands will be of benifit to the game in this area.

Bon
15-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Hey Bon I'll be watching the Jets with fingers crossed for the Burbs. Good luck.

Hahaha You legend Grunta.. Enjoy a beer there for me..

furns
15-09-2012, 10:23 AM
All these comments on Johnno are bordering on sacrilege. Let him come home and use his expertise.

furns
15-09-2012, 10:24 AM
"Representing Australia in Football is like representing England for surfing". He was a great player but a dick of a man who has a long history of stuffing up almost everything he touches (post football). The bloke should be a multi millionare 10 times over with his different ventures that worked a charm but then failed through one reason or nothing. That being said I'd still like NNSWFF to give him an ear and hear if what he says or demands will be of benifit to the game in this area.
Football in Aus at the time was a basket case. I don't blame him tbh

Pico
15-09-2012, 11:38 AM
All these comments on Johnno are bordering on sacrilege. Let him come home and use his expertise.

I tend to agree people judging someone on one call, seems fairly silly to me, especially the calls that its all about money, the bloke showed his true character when he gave up his professional career to be with his family.

GazFish35
15-09-2012, 11:53 AM
That article rings of give me a call and I have some ideas but it's gonna cost you some coin

Where do you get that impression from?

Zico
15-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Football in Aus at the time was a basket case. I don't blame him tbh
but his comments pushed the game further back.
Like I said give him an audience but he has a poor track record for both his person and professional life. I personal think the bloke is a inspiration for what he has achieved in football but knowing him on a personal level, he can be a pig of a man at times.

Zico
15-09-2012, 03:11 PM
I tend to agree people judging someone on one call, seems fairly silly to me, especially the calls that its all about money, the bloke showed his true character when he gave up his professional career to be with his family.
I follow Liverpool and that was not the only reason he quit the game.

MFKS
15-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Where do you get that impression from?

Ummm

I can't work you out sometimes!!

Sarcasm or Serious question???

GazFish35
15-09-2012, 07:56 PM

Im serious, not sarcastic.
I didnt read it this way at all, I'm interested in what is in the article that makes you draw those conclusions... Cos I've missed it.

To me it read "I loved growing up in the area, and I've got some expertise to share"

plague
15-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Yeah so engineers, architects, plasterers, groundskeepers, coaches etc are going to get paid to be involved but people have a problem with a consultant getting anything out of it?
It's a commercial project, you need experts.
I don't get the hate.

and by the way I didn't read it as him asking for money either, I would just expect a bloke to get paid for his services regardless.

MFKS
15-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Im serious, not sarcastic.
I didnt read it this way at all, I'm interested in what is in the article that makes you draw those conclusions... Cos I've missed it.

To me it read "I loved growing up in the area, and I've got some expertise to share"

Just my perception of him. Has a very low profile most of the time but comes trotting out like Larry Emdur with a big cheesy grin everytime one of his next business ventures is on the go.

The other thing with it is why would his opinion really be relevant here?? I am not being disrespectful but surely as far as consultation for this Football HQ goes a bloke who retired what 25 years ago wouldn't be that high up on the list.

I am sure the players in the Jets squad could offer a wide range of views / ideas from their diverse playing experiences elsewhere in the world.

GVE could be consulted, FFA hierarchy and if we needed the voice of yesteryear I am sure Ray Baartz now the Jets Advisory board does SFA could throw some ideas up. Add in many other stars of yesteryear could also be asked. I am sure we could even contact/ garner ideas from others around the planet for the Football HQ also

I've developed a system of 3D grids for dribbling, passing, heading, shooting and touch, control, feel," he said.

To me that is also offering a product which I am sure will probably not be gifted to NNSW Fed for free. If he wanted to give it away for free he could have done that at any time. Doing so when there is money to be spent on this project indicates he may be after some money.

plague
15-09-2012, 08:24 PM
To be fair from memory didn't he invest a lot of time and money in youth development and skills schools in the UK back in the day.
I'd say that would give him some cred in this.

MFKS
15-09-2012, 08:36 PM
To be fair from memory didn't he invest a lot of time and money in youth development and skills schools in the UK back in the day.
I'd say that would give him some cred in this.

He may well have had some experience in that aspect but people profiting from the development of yoof is widespread enough anyway.

This Football HQ is meant to be the local arm of the FFA developing the Yoof. Shouldn't we be sticking to our FFA Curriculum/Ideals that the FFA have been employing Hans Berger to implement??

If Craig Johnstone wishes to set up a Soccer school thing in Newy nothing is stopping him. Probably would have been better done 20-25 years ago when his profile had more credibility locally

plague
15-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Fair point, I just don't see how people immediately saw it as a cash grab from the bloke.

furns
15-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Because its typical in this town

GazFish35
15-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Just my perception of him.

So just preconceived opinions of the bloke and assumptions jumped to when he mentioned some of the training methods he developed.

Glad I didn't miss anything in the article then.

Is it hard thinking the worst of people all the time? (and yes, that's a serious question, with zero sarcasm... I'm currently reading/working through Covey's 7 habits and am seeking first to understand)

pv4
15-09-2012, 09:48 PM
. I personal think the bloke is a inspiration for what he has achieved in football but knowing him on a personal level, he can be a pig of a man at times.

basically what I was thinking

as I assumed, and said, Liverpool fans would take huge offense to anything but "johnno oooooomg fap"

plague
15-09-2012, 10:43 PM
I personal think the bloke is a inspiration for what he has achieved in football but knowing him on a personal level, he can be a pig of a man at times.

99.9% of people that ever get anywhere in life have to have a bit of c**t in them. Unfortunately that's how we separate the wheat from the chaff.
he could be the biggest knob in the world, but if he can help develop the next generation of stars then get him on board.
Love the bloke, he was Griff before Griff was Griff.

Yeah I said it.

MFKS
16-09-2012, 12:08 AM
So just preconceived opinions of the bloke and assumptions jumped to when he mentioned some of the training methods he developed.

Glad I didn't miss anything in the article then.

Is it hard thinking the worst of people all the time? (and yes, that's a serious question, with zero sarcasm... I'm currently reading/working through Covey's 7 habits and am seeking first to understand)

Not really being a cynical bastard is quite easy.

Mr Fish you have to realise that people see things differently from you. You read said article and come to one conclusion I will come to another.

Same with today's game some may feel that it was only a trial and means stuff all. Others would have been pretty unimpressed with proceedings.

That's people. Different perspectives

seldom
16-09-2012, 01:17 AM
really...ffs...I like craig and all he's achieved

GazFish35
16-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Mr Fish you have to realise that people see things differently from you. You read said article and come to one conclusion I will come to another.

Hence why I asked you to clarify what you had said, so I could understand your point of view better.

You might best take some of your own advice.
I get the feeling that if someone asks you to clarify your views you take it as a personal attack.

q-money
16-09-2012, 09:17 AM
3D grids are useless for teaching blokes how to run up sand dunes with a tyre strapped to their backs, clearly johnno is out of touch with strayan sokkah

ratko crnic in
johnno out
deans out

Pico
17-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Sydney joins the fight to host EPL super club Manchester United
Phil Rothfield
The Sunday Telegraph
September 16, 2012 12:00AM
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/09/15/1226474/840062-wayne-rooney.jpg
Manchester United star Wayne Rooney could be headed to Sydney. Source: The Daily Telegraph

THE world's greatest soccer team, Manchester United, could be heading to Australia in July.

Three cities - Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane - and five stadiums - the MCG, Etihad, ANZ, SFS and Suncorp - are locked in a bidding war to host the Premier League superstars.

A senior executive from Manchester United was in Australia for talks last week.

Alex Ferguson and champion players such as Wayne Rooney and Robin Van Persie would all make the trip.

And it's possible they would be playing against Italian legend Alessandro Del Piero in an A-League All Stars team.

A Manchester United executive last week met FFA executives, government ministers and stadium officials in Sydney.

The club has decided it will tour for four matches in July in preparation for the Premier League kick-off.

Ferguson wants four games - two in Asia and two in Australia.

The games would each attract more than $12 million in revenue from ticket sales, sponsorship, merchandise, TV rights and money from the stadiums and the state governments. The NSW, Victorian and Queensland governments are all desperate to cash in on the opportunity to boost tourism.

A Red Devils tour would provide the code's new boss David Gallop with a massive boost on the back of Sydney FC's recent signing of Del Piero.

"The tour would leave a long-lasting legacy for the development of football in this country," said one senior official.

Further talks on the tour will take place over the next few weeks.

"In terms of squad strength, clearly the absence of a major international tournament next year will mean we would be bringing a very strong squad. Barring injuries, we would expect all the leading players to be there," United's director of communications Phil Townsend said.

Sports-loving NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell is certain to go hard for the event, knowing the Victorians already have a monopoly on major sport in this country with the Melbourne Cup, Australian Open tennis, the AFL grand final, the Boxing Day Test and the grand prix.

Tickets would range from $100 to $300.

INCOMING FFA boss David Gallop may not have his feet under the desk in Oxford St yet, but he is already immersing himself in his new code. He spent time at AC Milan headquarters in Italy during the week, and he watched West Bromwich Albion take on Mark Schwarzer’s Fulham last night in London.

Not a fan of all stars games and can't see the FFA missing a chance to throw Del Peiro against ManU

Pico
17-09-2012, 09:02 AM
While Sydney coach Ian Crook will be at pains not to risk his star import in the pre-season, he will be pushing for Del Piero to have at least some role in this Saturday's friendly match against the Jets.

The match is presently scheduled to be played in Budgewoi as a closed-doors affair, but the decision is Newcastle's as to whether the game can be moved and opened for the public. It cannot be transferred to Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford as had been earlier speculated as the turf there is being replaced.

www.smh.com.au/sport/football/superstar-cant-wait-for-the-hard-work-to-start-20120916-260n5.html#ixzz26flMggkQ

Still don't understand why this is not in NNSW somewhere & whats with the Gypos re-turfing bluetongue, seems like they do it every year.

Pico
17-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Jets strikepower hamstrung by injuries
Sept. 16, 2012, 9:21 p.m.
http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-bzDwk8TrKQYKjEefACKcS8/e417b437-d640-47bd-b6b2-99abbed3b164.jpg
RYAN GRIFFITHS

THE Newcastle Jets' search for a striker has moved from a crucial to a critical stage.

With less than three weeks to the A-League season opener against Adelaide United at Hunter Stadium, the Jets have lost two of their main strike weapons to injuries and are yet to secure the signature of a much anticipated front man from overseas.

Ryan Griffiths will have scans today on a hamstring injury he sustained in the 1-all draw with Western Sydney Wanderers at Wanderers Oval on Saturday.

The early signs were not good. Griffiths, last season's equal leading goal-scorer with nine, collapsed to the ground clutching at his left leg. He was unable to continue, leaving the Jets, who had used their three substitutes, to play the final eight minutes with 10 men.

The 31-year-old had grabbed at the same leg earlier in the second half.

James Brown, who was likely to play on the left of Griffiths in a front three, is booked for surgery tomorrow to have a bone spur removed in his ankle and is unlikely to be available until at least round three.

By that point it would have been more than two months since his last game, the controversial 3-1 win over Wellington in Weston on August 18.

Adam Taggart has returned from Young Socceroo duties in Vietnam. James Virgili was outstanding on the right against Wanderers.

But between them they have 24 A-League appearances and three goals.

Marko Jesic came off the bench on Saturday but has not scored an A-League goal in more than a year.

Veteran Michael Bridges is still gaining full fitness after a hamstring injury and is considered more of an impact player. Brazilian Bernardo Ribeiro produced some nice touches in his first start on Saturday but looks more a creator than finisher.

The Jets have been in talks with a Brazilian striker, and the Herald understands that former fan favourite Joel Griffiths is back in the frame.

It was reported yesterday that 34-year-old former England striker Emile Heskey has knocked back an offer to join the Jets.

The Jets coaching staff were not available to speak to the Herald on Saturday, but in the past week Gary van Egmond and assistant Craig Deans have said they need to be "more clinical" and have a "cutting edge" in the final third.

A large percentage of the Jets' goals in recent weeks have come from deeper.

Defender Scott Neville produced a cracking shot from 20 metres to put the Jets ahead after seven minutes against Wanderers.

Midfielder Ruben Zadkovich curled in a free kick from just outside the box in the 1-all draw with Sydney FC.

Griffiths was on the spot to slot home a flick from Marko Jesic in the 1-0 win over Brisbane Roar in Tamworth.

Left back Craig Goodwin scored a brace and Jesic added the third in the 3-1 triumph over an eight-man Wellington side.

Goodwin was used in a more advanced role against Wanderers.

He was again dangerous and combined well with Ribeiro.

Most of the Jets' thrust, especially in the first half, came down the right.

Virgili used his pace to burn a path past former Jet Adam D'Apuzzo.

He sprayed a shot over the bar in the 20th minute.

Five minutes later he beat D'Apuzzo again and delivered a cross to the back post.

Goodwin got in front of his defender but could not get a touch.

Two minutes before the break Virgili made a slalom run into the penalty area and was felled, but appeals for a penalty were denied.

Playing with a strong wind at their back, the Jets dominated the first half.

They were first to the ball, pressured the visitors in defence and caused havoc down both flanks.

Mark Bridge, one of five former Jets at the Wanderers, had the visitors' first shot on goal in the 43rd minute, a crisp volley which was easily held by Mark Birighitti.

Jobe Wheelhouse did not return after the break and the sting disappeared out of the Jets' game.

Mateo Poljak started to have more influence in midfield for the visitors, which enabled Dino Kresinger to get into the game.

The Croatian striker equalised in the 61st minute when he muscled his way past the defence and headed a D'Apuzzo cross into the right corner.

Both sides had chances at a winner.

Jets defender Josh Mitchell lifted a snap shot over the bar from close range, Goodwin had a goal-bound attempt tipped over and substitute Mitch Oxborrow pulled a low drive to the right.

Substitute Shannon Cole had Wanderers' best chance when a corner fell to his feet, but he could not beat Birighitti from point-blank range.

The match erupted in the dying moments when Cole reacted to a late tackle from Neville. Former Jet Nikolai Topor-Stanley raced 30 metres to join in, but referee Ben Williams quickly regained control. All three were issued yellow cards.

www.theherald.com.au/story/338234/jets-strikepower-hamstrung-by-injuries/?cs=306

Bridges or Jesic up front in our starting team, scary stuff for round 1 get well soon Ryu.

Jetmaster
17-09-2012, 09:24 AM
I would sooner try Taggart now than use Jesic who just has nothing anymore. He will sit tight for the rest of the season, then join his mates at WSW.

It is looking like we have a slow start without Griff and Brown, the two real class acts at the Jets.

And we are leaving it too late to get a striker who will slot straight in.

Also...

Emile Heskey has rejected a move to Australia's A-League after spurning the chance to join Newcastle Jets.

http://www.teamtalk.com/papertalk/8082812/Paper-Talk-United-keen-on-double-raid

Heard a rumour at the ground before the game that Heskey would be announced as a signing today - this is all I could find on it, obviously happy with the pies in England !

Muswellbrookian
17-09-2012, 09:30 AM
I would sooner try Taggart now than use Jesic who just has nothing anymore. He will sit tight for the rest of the season, then join his mates at WSW.

It is looking like we have a slow start without Griff and Brown, the two real class acts at the Jets.

And we are leaving it too late to get a striker who will slot straight in.

Yep, same old Jerks. We just seem to keep to stumbling from one debacle to another.

As for Emile Heskey...rof.

q-money
17-09-2012, 09:34 AM
very lol that this was the exact scenario predicted from the peanut gallery of the foz

deans to blame for sure

hauss
17-09-2012, 10:04 AM
I've got mixed feelings about Saturday's performance. On the one hand, there was a lot of pace and movement and a good goal, on the other, the pace and movement didn't really break up the defence or create enough clear cut scoring opportunities. Certainly not a Brisbane like performance. Early days though for the new squad.

Bernado was a bit hit and miss. Some of his touches were good, some of them were poor. A lot of his passes went to noone which was not the impression I got from watching his Youtube vid where he seemed to make his decisions quick and had a good and accurate passing range. However, it was just one game and I'm hopeful he'll come good, especially if the Jets can create more space in the front third.

And...We need a striker. There is just no question about it.

OmeletteDuFromage
17-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Heskey?

Wut.

pv4
17-09-2012, 10:36 AM
heskey ffs

hitzlsperger will be next

hauss
17-09-2012, 10:50 AM
I really hope that Heskey is the Jets' answer to Del Piero. These players are in the same league. He would have marquee impact.

That's the tough thing about marquees. A lesser name is worse than no name at all. It even looks promising on paper when you look at it from a pure football perspective.

Joel Griffiths will also have a lot of impact on fans when he returns and would score as many goals.

halo se7en
17-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Zero "marquee" impact, but I'd take Heskey in a heartbeat - you can't tell me he isn't better than our current strikers.

belchardo
17-09-2012, 12:26 PM
new a-league ad.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/are-you-ready-for-hyundai-a-league-2012/13-/49102

i like it.

Muswellbrookian
17-09-2012, 03:03 PM
new a-league ad.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/are-you-ready-for-hyundai-a-league-2012/13-/49102

i like it.

Why would FFA not include a shot of the stadium-length NEWCASTLE banner from our game against Victory last season, ffs? And I see (without any real surprise) that the Jets feature in a total of about three shots again, despite the couple of Brockie screamers that would have made for great promotional material.

pv4
17-09-2012, 03:46 PM
just watched that ad. my thoughts:

the gypos featured heaps
where were the crunching tackles

hauss
17-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Why would FFA not include a shot of the stadium-length NEWCASTLE banner from our game against Victory last season, ffs?

Probably because it is a generic ad for all teams and they would want to make the action as generic as possible.

the couple of Brockie screamers that would have made for great promotional material.

Probably didn't have a large crowd in the background of the footage.

I don't know. This is supposed to be just the teaser ad. The final one may be different.

russjaybee
17-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Lack of epic NEWCASTLE is a massive disc race.

BodyNovo
17-09-2012, 04:33 PM
still better than last year when our only footage was brankenstein

plague
17-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Why would FFA not include a shot of the stadium-length NEWCASTLE banner from our game against Victory last season, ffs?.

you should probably made a giant 'Sydney' banner.
Would probably have gotten on the telly.

Muswellbrookian
17-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Probably because it is a generic ad for all teams and they would want to make the action as generic as possible.

I see your point, but they happily showed that "Roar Pride" banner. I'm not whinging for the sake of whinging - I honestly believe our banner was one of the best things ever organised by a fan group in all seven years of the A-League, and that any governing body worth its salt would be keen to emphasise it in ads designed to flaunt the colour and passion of the supporters. It was the last truly magical night at the stadium, if you ask me. Felt like the old days again. I will never forget the moment when I watched those letters unfurl from the southern hill.

hauss
17-09-2012, 05:57 PM
I see your point, but they happily showed that "Roar Pride" banner. I'm not whinging for the sake of whinging - I honestly believe our banner was one of the best things ever organised by a fan group in all seven years of the A-League, and that any governing body worth its salt would be keen to emphasise it in ads designed to flaunt the colour and passion of the supporters. It was the last truly magical night at the stadium, if you ask me. Felt like the old days again. I will never forget the moment when I watched those letters unfurl from the southern hill.

Agree. It was a fantastic spectacle and I myself sent an email to SBS's The World Game show to complain about the fact that on the show following the display, all they could do is bitch and moan about the state of the game when the Jets v Victory game was exciting and the tifo display showed great cooperation between the club and the supporters.

As a whole, we soccer followers have such a chip on our shoulders about the game: always complaining about the support the media should be giving etc. When really the only thing we can do is just follow our team as best we can. In Europe, you pay minimum 30 Euro to watch a team like Juventus play. We get it easy and should probably be putting more money into the club, however we can, if we want it to be a success in the A-League.

I'll never forget that banner and one day someone might honour the history of the Newcastle active support. So long as we honour it, I'm fine with it.

GazFish35
17-09-2012, 07:15 PM
We can't really be surprised it wasn't used.

furns
17-09-2012, 07:24 PM
if sydney or melbourne didnt do it it doesnt count

Jetmaster
17-09-2012, 07:59 PM
NBN just said Griff has no tear and will be fit for Round 1.

Muswellbrookian
18-09-2012, 12:00 AM
NBN just said Griff has no tear and will be fit for Round 1.

Praise Griff! Now please sign Griff, Tinks.

Pico
18-09-2012, 11:52 AM
We can't really be surprised it wasn't used.

More importantly is that the club is using it for, well everything remotely jets related.

Pico
18-09-2012, 11:55 AM
At least $5 million will be needed to attract Manchester United to Brisbane
Marco Monteverde
The Courier-Mail
September 18, 2012 12:00AM
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2012/09/17/1226475/960383-manchester-united.jpg

You have to pay to see this - the Queensland Government will have to cough up to attract Robin Van Persie and his Manchester United mates. Source: Getty Images

THE Queensland Government will need to pay at least $5 million to entice English giants Manchester United to Brisbane next year.

The hugely popular Red Devils are planning to tour Australia next July to prepare for the 2013-14 English Premier League season.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson reportedly wants to play two matches, with Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne all in the running.

The preference is for both games to involve an A-League All-Star XI rather than Australian club sides.

Events Queensland officials have already met with Football Federation Australia and Manchester United delegates about hosting a match at Suncorp Stadium.

"FFA approached EQ to hear an overview of Manchester United's plans for Asia and potentially Australia in 2013," an EQ spokeswoman told The Courier-Mail yesterday.

"EQ is considering the opportunity and no decision has yet been made."

It's understood United, who are also planning to play two matches in Asia as part of the four-match pre-season tour, want to make a decision by Christmas at the latest.

With each game in Australia to reportedly attract more than $12 million in revenue, it would service as a massive boost for Queensland's ailing tourism industry.

The match would be an almost certain sellout at the 52,500-capacity Suncorp Stadium despite the cheapest ticket likely to cost $100.

A recent survey claimed that Manchester United had 659 million followers worldwide, 325 million of which hail from the Asia Pacific region.

But the sticking point could be the millions required to bring the 19-time English champions to Brisbane despite the prospect of the event returning more than double in profit.

The State Government is already refusing to pay to ensure Queensland hosts two State of Origin rugby league matches next year despite a Victorian $2.5 million bid to buy a Maroons-Blues clash.

Queensland Premier Campbell Newman last week said that paying extra for State of Origin matches would further hurt women's sport, which he considered was already a "poor cousin".

If an All-Stars A-League side was picked today, it would feature new Sydney FC recruit Alessandro Del Piero, as well as a sprinkling of Brisbane Roar players, including Johnny Warren medallist Thomas Broich and mercurial striker Besart Berisha.

Looks like they are hell bent on this A-League all stars concept.

hawk
18-09-2012, 12:00 PM

Plastic all-stars has a vegas feel. Could play STBanner before kickoff and have kfc sponsor.

Pico
18-09-2012, 12:00 PM
New A-League boss targets growth

Damien De Bohun, the new head of the A-League, has no doubts about the chief task facing the competition in the next few years as he gears up for his first season in charge of the premier domestic league.

Restoring financial equilibrium to the A-League's 10 loss-making clubs, partly through revenues generated by the new broadcast deal, has to be top of the agenda.

But, he says, clubs also have to work hard not just to bolster funding from the game's governing body through slick marketing and aggressive pursuit of sponsorship of their own, but to grow their fan base and convert those interested in the sport at the margins, turning them into regular supporters.

The league is due to kick off in just over a fortnight and impetus is building after what feels like an inordinately long off season.
Advertisement

The signing of Alessandro Del Piero by Sydney FC has put a spring in the step of all associated with the game who point to it, rightly, as a coup given the level of interest shown in the Italian World Cup winner by better-known clubs in Europe.

And the imminent agreement of the crucial broadcast deal, widely tipped to contain a mix of programming from major partner Fox Sport and free-to-air candidate SBS, is also expected to lift spirits after a messy end to the last campaign when one team, Gold Coast, crashed out of existence amid rows and recriminations between its owner, billionaire mining magnate Clive Palmer, and the FFA's billionaire boss Frank Lowy. That wasn't the only end-of-season drama last year. The future of Newcastle hung in the balance before agreement was reached on its continued existence as a club.

De Bohun is due back in Sydney tomorrow from Wellington after completing an itinerary that has taken him to meet club officials at all A-League sides. While he has missed the blizzard of publicity that accompanied Del Piero's arrival, that has only whetted his appetite for the new campaign which kicks off with the Melbourne derby between Heart and Victory on October 5.

"I am very excited by the overall feeling within the clubs and the game. I have met personally with all the clubs in the off season to find out what their views are, what their opportunities are and their major issues," De Bohun says.

"Its been a very interesting experience. There's a very strong sense that the competition will be very even and that performances on the field will continue to improve," said the ex cricket official, who also had a spell in charge of Football Federation Victoria earlier in his career.

"We are waiting for the outcome of the broadcast deal that is currently in discussion but there is a strong feeling about the viability and the sustainability of the clubs. And an FTA element will help the game grow, reach parts of the community that don't have pay [TV]. It will help with converting people who play the game or who are interested in it to become fans. A mixture of the two is the perfect storm.

"We have got to get the message to the fans that the competition is better than they might think and that it is up there with some better-known leagues. With average gates of around 10,000 it is one of the better-supported leagues in the world."

De Bohun believes a strong start to the season is vital, and what better way than to hit the ground running with a Melbourne derby.

"Victory seem to be setting themselves for a new direction and they have made important decisions both on and off the field, while Heart are building a competitive squad for what will be a very balanced league. Not only do we have that for the first game, but then Ange Postecoglou is going up against the team he won the title with twice. There is a genuine Sydney derby now too."

De Bohun also forecast deeper TV coverage this season.

"We are working closely with the host broadcaster to maximise coverage and integrate it with clubs, players and managers. We will be working a lot closer with Fox. There will be a lot of insights, a lot more interactivity with the players. But FIFA rules prevent us from miking up referees and officials."

www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/new-aleague-boss-targets-growth-20120917-262b8.html#ixzz26mK9IpNR

Interesting comment about deeper coverage on fox, not sure how that's going to work more A-league content on FSFC, better highlighs show, half time captains interview, I guess time will tell.

goaliepersempre
18-09-2012, 12:06 PM
But FIFA rules prevent us from miking up referees and officials."

GOOOODddddd and get rid of the camera in the change sheds at half time....

All for innovative camera's and more indepth things in the game. But the above 2 ideas are wrong.

hauss
18-09-2012, 12:32 PM

The Socceroos v Man U game in 1999 was the last novelty game I went to. I guess anything is worth a go if it attracts revenue and interest but it can't really match the passion of a club game.

hauss
18-09-2012, 12:57 PM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1120875/Griffiths-hails-Drogba-commitment

Joel Griffiths insists that Didier Drogba's commitment to new club Shanghai Shenhua has not wavered - despite the boardroom battle which threatens his future in China.

Shenhua boardroom row 'not over'

Shanghai puts dramas behind it to win

The Australian striker, who has formed a potent attacking axis with Cote d'Ivoire ace Drogba and Frenchman Nicolas Anelka in recent weeks, says the 34-year-old UEFA Champions League winner is determined not to let uncertainly over who will pay his $250,000 weekly wage bill hamper his desire to fire.

He scored in Shanghai's 3-0 win over Liaoning Hongyun last weekend against a backdrop of bickering between the club's main backer, billionaire Zhu Jun and the board.

Jun is demanding his fellow shareholders honour an agreement to dramatically raise his shareholding in the club as a reward for personally funding big-name signings.

"Didier is happy at the club but he is somebody who commands a certain level of respect," Griffths said.

"He regards China as a personal project and new football frontier for himself, but who knows what will happen over the money side of things. That's beyond his control."

Griffiths, back to his best form as a right-sided attacking midfielder after shrugging off a long-term knee injury, believes his new friend is keen to stay and leave a legacy in China.

Drogba has struck five goals in seven appearances and according to Griffiths is unflinching in his work ethic.

"That's one thing that has surprised me, I really didn't think he would come here so committed to succeed," he said.

"But that just shows what sort of person he is. He treats every game the same, whether it's a Champions League final or a game in the Chinese Super League.

"He wants the ball, he wants to score goals and he wants his name to be remembered in China for all the right reasons. It's so good to have him at the club."

Griffiths, 33, whose own future will be decided in December with the option of a return to the A-League on the table, said: "The way we have been playing I can't see us losing any of the last six games, we are ninth now and have been scoring goals and playing some pretty good football after a horrible start to the season.

"I can see us sneaking in an Asian Champions League spot - that's what we're aiming for. It's a shame that Drogba wasn't here for the start of the season, otherwise we'd be aiming for the top spot."

Griffiths also paid tribute to the other half of Shanghai's attacking axis, much-travelled Anelka, saying: "Most of the attention has been focused on Didier but Nicolas goes under the radar. He's been setting up goals and having Didier here has taken a lot of pressure off him and he is back playing his normal game.

"If we keep this team together, next year is going to be huge for the club."

Griffiths hasn't ruled out being a part of that future. His contract expires at the end of the season but he has impressed since his return from injury, providing several assists and three goals in 12 games.

"That's definitely a possibility and something I would seriously consider if the opportunity was there, especially the way we have been playing lately," he said. "If we keep this team intact I can see the title coming here next year. If we keep the same team I will be more than happy to stay.

"At some stage I would love to go home and finish my career but there's no immediate hurry. We will see what happens.

"It's been a different experience here. At Beijing Guoan I was the go-to man; I never got injured and was scoring regularly. Here I am out on the wing and Drogba is the focal point which is easy to understand because it's hard to compete with that sort of player.

"It enables me to be more involved in the build-up play and we've got some pretty good combinations going.

"Against Liaoning Hongyun on Saturday was probably the best I have felt in a game for about three years. The role I have now involves a lot more running and hard work and it's a totally different role to playing up front - but it's easy when you have Drogba and Anelka around you."

Griffiths also saluted Sydney FC's capture of Alessandro Del Piero, saying: "Four million dollars over two years - Sydney will get their money back with change.

"It's an awesome signing and I'd love to see other A-League clubs follow suit, obviously money permitting. The league needs Del Piero. It has gone a bit stale and it needs characters in the game.

"It needs bit of controversy also. Everybody hated Kevin Muscat but he got people talking and that generates interest from sports fans in general in Australia."

Griff is talking silly talk. He needs to come home before this gets any worse.

Each word like a dagger through my heart.

And...Kevin Muscat...wtf?

Jetmaster
18-09-2012, 01:04 PM
This summer is Griff's last chance for us surely...if he stays on, he will be too old to come back here and finish his career (he's 33 now).

Better to sign his offspring instead.

pv4
18-09-2012, 01:49 PM
do you know when it's griff last chance with us? when he says it is.

any age griff > jesic, bridges, gallaway, etc

Thomas477
18-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Just hurry the **** up and sign Griffo FFS.

Pico
18-09-2012, 02:02 PM
But FIFA rules prevent us from miking up referees and officials."

GOOOODddddd and get rid of the camera in the change sheds at half time....

All for innovative camera's and more indepth things in the game. But the above 2 ideas are wrong.

Don't really see the issue with having the ref miking up and don't really care about the change shed camera either, both very small things that help make fox happy and help with the telecast of games.

Pico
18-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Jets prepare for Youth competition

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00049165-leadimage.jpg

Following the conclusion of the Newcastle Jets Youth campaign in the NBN State League competition, coach Clayton Zane is building his team for the 2012/13 Y-League season.

The Club has had discussions with NSWIS, who won the Under 19’s NBN State League Championship, about inviting their best young players to join the Jets for pre-season.

“We have some of the most promising young talent joining us when we resume training, including Andrew Pawiak, Reece Pappas and Josh Murray,” Zane said.

"From here, we will assess these players and others like them in the environment of the NYL squad."

Meanwhile Youth players Josh Small, Dom Bizzari, Abe Wheelhouse, Dino Fajkovic, Maclean Nadfalusi, Jakob Williams and Alex Kantarovski have been released from the Jets.

“Out of this group of players Abe Wheelhouse was actually offered to remain in the program but decided to pursue a career in the State League competition," Zane added.

“We understood we couldn’t offer him the regular football he was after and wish him well for the future.

"We also thank Josh, Dom, Dino, Maclean, Jakob and Alex for their contribution and wish them well."

The Jets Youth commence pre-season training on September 24.

www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-prepare-for-Youth-competition/49165

Bit of a clean out for the youth ranks, be interesting to see how the new crop go.

belchardo
18-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Don't really see the issue with having the ref miking up and don't really care about the change shed camera either, both very small things that help make fox happy and help with the telecast of games.

always love hearing things like:

"you ****in kiddin me ref?"
"how the **** was that not a free kick?"
"what the **** are you looking at?"
"no ****in way was that a yellow"
etc

imagine the outrage from the knights nannas when they hear all that swearing in a game. doesn't happen in their game.

Pico
18-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Fact is it helps create characters & stories something I think the HAL really lacks since the loss of Yorke, Muscat, Griff etc

People always whinge about the media not shining a light on the league but if your too insular and want to block everything and everyone out you'll never get the air time.

Fact is people want issues in sport, they want to have heroes and they love a good villian, best of all the TV networks then have something to play on and promote, for me the HAL severely lacks any characters and is within an inch of its life as far as the general sports reporters are concerned (Del Peiro seems to be helping) as you wont get a decent comment from a coach or player from fear of the FFA's henchmen handing out fines, which results in stale cliché to the max press conferences.

Grunta
18-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Wouldn't mind if they further develop things like Jets TV etc. real behind the scenes stuff like they have in the English comps.

timmy_v
18-09-2012, 07:44 PM
always love hearing things like:

"you ****in kiddin me ref?"
"how the **** was that not a free kick?"
"what the **** are you looking at?"
"no ****in way was that a yellow"
etc

imagine the outrage from the knights nannas when they hear all that swearing in a game. doesn't happen in their game.

To be able to turn the Harper and Co, off and listen to the crowd and game would be ideal.

pistolpete
18-09-2012, 07:48 PM
To be able to turn the Harper and Co, off and listen to the crowd and game would be ideal.

****en oath

Zico
18-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Fact is it helps create characters & stories something I think the HAL really lacks since the loss of Yorke, Muscat, Griff etc

People always whinge about the media not shining a light on the league but if your too insular and want to block everything and everyone out you'll never get the air time.

Fact is people want issues in sport, they want to have heroes and they love a good villian, best of all the TV networks then have something to play on and promote, for me the HAL severely lacks any characters and is within an inch of its life as far as the general sports reporters are concerned (Del Peiro seems to be helping) as you wont get a decent comment from a coach or player from fear of the FFA's henchmen handing out fines, which results in stale cliché to the max press conferences.

Even Kosmina has taken the easy does it approach.

furns
18-09-2012, 09:40 PM
There is still Hutcho. Never forget Hutcho.

Thomas477
18-09-2012, 09:48 PM
There is still Hutcho. Never forget Hutcho.

Can't after that hideous dive when Bridges tapped him in the derby when it pissed down afterwards.

Pico
19-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Jets management in UK talks with Heskey
By JAMES GARDINER
Sept. 18, 2012, 11:13 p.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-bzDwk8TrKQYKjEefACKcS8/db433b34-0310-46a4-9793-b6882d3de625.jpg
EMILE HESKEY

FORMER England striker Emile Heskey is back on the Newcastle Jets radar and club management are understood to be in London attempting to broker a deal.

Heskey has been a free agent since he was released by English Premier League club Aston Villa in May.

The 34-year-old was reported to have knocked back a previous approach by the Jets and has been linked with a lucrative move to non-league club Macclesfield.

However, the Herald has learned the Jets are back in the frame.

Hunter Sports Group chief executive Troy Palmer and Jets chief executive Robbie Middleby are in England and are understood to have met with Heskey's management.

Newcastle could face competition for Heskey's signature from his former club Liverpool.

Stoke, Norwich and Spanish side Espanyol are also understood to have made enquiries about the front man, who played 29 times for Villa last season for one goal.

However, Herald sources in England indicated that the Jets were "high up there".

Coach Gary van Egmond said last month that the Jets were unlikely to fill the final place on their roster with a high-profile marquee player.

But the success of Sydney FC in signing Italian legend Alessandro Del Piero and the positive worldwide publicity it created has caused a rethink.

www.theherald.com.au/story/344450/jets-management-in-uk-talks-with-heskey/?cs=303

If this has all been triggered by Del Peiro as claimed, I really hope they are not thinking Heskey will have the same, or even a remotely similar, sort of impact.

Pico
19-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Former England striker Emile Heskey set to sign for A-League club Newcastle Jets

Tom Smithies
The Daily Telegraph
September 19, 2012 12:00AM

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/09/18/1226476/821094-emile-heskey.jpg

Emile Heskey in action for Aston Villa against Chelsea last year. The former England striker is set to sign with the Newcastle Jets. Source: AP

ALESSANDRO Del Piero's home debut for Sydney FC is poised to become an even bigger occasion because opponents Newcastle are understood to be on the verge of signing former England striker Emile Heskey.

The former Liverpool forward, who played in three World Cups, including two years ago in South Africa, left Aston Villa at the end of last season and has been looking for a new deal since.

Sources in England have told News Ltd that Jets CEO Robbie Middleby and Troy Palmer, CEO of the Hunter Sports Group that owns the club, have met Heskey and talks have progressed well enough for a one-year deal to be on the table.

Assuming Heskey passes a medical - which after 28 games in the EPL for Villa last season is not likely to be a problem- he will join Gary van Egmond's squad in time for the A-League season, opening the possibility of a direct match-up with Del Piero when the Jets travel to Allianz Stadium in round two.

Heskey earned 62 England caps and though he only scored seven goals, he was usually cast as the foil for a more prolific striker, such as Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney.

His strength and ability to hold the ball up would dovetail with the youth and energy of van Egmond's squad.

The Jets last night declined to comment, citing the club's policy of "not speculating about player movement through the media".

Football Federation Australia has to sanction any marquee arrival but FFA sources have already confirmed this will be a formality.

The 34-year-old had been linked with moves to Stoke, Norwich and Spanish side Espanyol - and also an emotional return to Liverpool, where he won the FA Cup and UEFA Cup in a four-year spell.

But he recently insisted he was fit enough to play immediately for a new side. "I feel as fit and hungry as I have done in a long time and have been training everyday throughout the summer," Heskey said.

"As has been reported, I did receive a number of offers during the transfer window but didn't feel like any of them were the right opportunity for me at that time."

Meanwhile, Sydney are close to adding to their roster former Adelaide midfielder Paul Reid, who has apparently impressed sufficiently in an extended trial to earn a deal.

"We're not too far away now from getting something finalised," coach Ian Crook said yesterday. "In the short term, Terry Antonis and Hagi Gligor could be away with the (Australian) under-20s side.

"And Nicky (Carle) having gone, who I was thinking of playing there, it leaves us very bare. It's certainly something we're looking at."

Crook said should Jason Culina prove his fitness after nearly two years out with knee and leg injuries, Reid's signing would not preclude the former Socceroo from also adding to his midfield stocks.

"Jason's got that determination to come back," he said.

"If someone had said three months ago he'd be out there doing what he's doing, I'd have laughed at them. I don't know (how long his rehab will take). It's day by day. It could be two weeks, 10 weeks, 10 months."

Think we can rule out the Vassell rumour, it looks like Heskey all the way now.

Jetmaster
19-09-2012, 09:17 AM
The Herald article looks like the usual "quote the foz" stuff. The Terrorgraph one has more guts to it.

Interesting 24 hours ahead.

q-money
19-09-2012, 09:22 AM
heskey + the brothers griff hnnnnnnggggg

Jetmaster
19-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Ok - now it is getting a bit more tangible....

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1120933/Newcastle-Jets-poised-to-snare-Heskey

Newcastle Jets poised to snare Heskey

Ex-England striker Emile Heskey is close to agreeing terms on a one-year deal worth around $1.3 million to join Newcastle Jets and end a frustrating search for a new club.

The contract has the option for two more years – at $1.3 million for each extra season – which would be triggered should the 34-year-old produce the goods on the Hunter as the club's latest marquee.

Heskey, who was released by Aston Villa, met with Jets CEO Robbie Middleby and Troy Palmer, CEO of the Hunter Sports Group, in the UK over the weekend to go over the finer points of an offer.

After initial trepidation, the former Liverpool forward has embraced the idea of completing his career in Australia where he would be in line for a head-to-head battle with Italian legend Alessandro del Piero in the round two A-League clash at Allianz Stadium.

Heskey's Nottingham-based agent Struan Marshall, of Wasserman Media Group, refused to confirm or deny that a deal had been done.

"Out of respect to the Jets I would prefer you get any information/clarification from Robbie or Troy or their press office, as and when they see fit," Marshall told The World Game.

The Jets were also remained tight-lipped, citing the club protocol of "not speculating about player movement through the media".

With 62 England caps – and just seven goals to show for them – Heskey is unlikely to break any A-League scoring records, his main strengths being his ability to create openings and hold the ball up.

Heskey, who appeared at two World Cups, only hit double figures on four occasions in a career in England which included stints with Leicester City, Liverpool, Birmingham, Wigan and Villa spanning 19 seasons between 1995-and 2012.

But his ability to bring others into play allied to his physical presence and enduring fitness levels, guaranteed there was interest from more than just the Jets with Premier League Stoke and even former club Liverpool linked with him along with second tier Blackpool and Ipswich.

"I'm 34, I still feel I can play so I don't see why I need to retire just now," Heskey said after leaving Villa.

"From when I started, I always said I wanted to play at the highest level wherever that might be. You always strive for that."

Tommyjet
19-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Played mainly as a right winger the games I saw him play last season and seasons previously, hense lack of goals recently. Other than Archie and smeltz, most of the strikers doin well in the a league have come in with poorer goals records than big Emile.

Tommyjet
19-09-2012, 10:29 AM
1.3m is a bit rich tho

Bon
19-09-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm torn on deciding if this is a good or bad thing (assuming we do announce that we have signed him)..
He just seems to be the complete opposite of the rest of the signings that GVE has made this year. Most have been young, quick, extremely fit, run all day.

They were joking on ABC radio this morning about the marketing potential for Heskey brand Esky's.. Or supporters wearing them to games, etc.. :gent:

Pico
19-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Having Heskey in A-League would buck a trend towards mobility

By Tony Tannous, 19 Sep 2012

http://cdn0.theroar.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/heskey-297x202.jpg
England's Emile Heskey. AP Photo/Tom Hevezi

If the rumours and reports linking former Liverpool FC striker Emile Heskey to A-League club the Newcastle Jets are true, then unfortunately, after the great gains made by the signing of Alessandro Del Piero, it would buck a trend towards mobility.

This argument has nothing to do with Heskey’s nationality but everything to do with the technical evolution of Australia’s domestic competition over the past few seasons.

While Heskey is a well recognised name to those in this country obsesssd by the English Premier League, anyone who actually watches it would recognise that Heskey’s best days were at least a decade ago, when he had a good season or two at Leicester City.

As his career has moved on at various clubs, clumsy touches and an inability to link have been his hallmarks, for club and country.

His recent goal-scoring record and general play has become the subject of many a joke across England.

The fact he isn’t been chased by too many others must say something.

After the credibility garnered by the signing of Del Piero, showing us to be bold and ambitious, landing on Heskey would be a reality check, a reminder that we still have much to learn.

His signature would fly against everything that Jets manager Gary van Egmond is purportedly putting together: a young squad, full of mobility, that like to move it around and keep it down.

Yes, the Jets might never have had a great number 9, bringing in such disasters as Jardel and Edmundo Zura, but the addition of a weightlifter like Heskey doesn’t appear the answer.

Increasingly, better educated A-League managers are making smarter recruitment decisions, evidenced by Ange Postecoglou bringing in Besart Berisha and Perth Glory’s chase of Shane Smeltz.

Others that have gone down the path of big target-men have been less successful.

Last season, when Graham Arnold lost Matt Simon to Korea, he went for John Sutton. He proved a flop.

Famously, Vitezslav Lavicka made a big song and dance a couple of seasons ago about signing a big target-man to hold up Sydney FC’s play.

He waited and waited, trailing all sorts, before bringing in the likes of Juho Makela and Bruno Cazarine.

While Cazarine did score goals, he never quite suited the defensive Lavicka strategy, which was more about sitting and waiting rather than getting on the front foot and getting balls in from wide.

The evolution of the standard of the league into a more mobile, technical competition, is the main reason target men have generally struggled.

That and the general size of our central defenders.

The likes of Michael Beauchamp, for example, would rather fancy facing up to a Heskey over a Berisha or Archie Thompson.

At a time when the modern game is moving more and more away from big, bustling target men, to mobility, Heskey would defy the trend.

This, unfortunately, would be a signing that takes the A-League back a few years to the days before the likes of Carlos Hernandez, Jason Culina, Thomas Broich and Berisha lifted its technical level from the dire standards of the opening three or four seasons.

In truth, Heskey might not be the only big target man on an A-League roster this season, with Melbourne Heart manager John Aloisi moved to bolster his striking stocks by bringing in Dylan Macallister, while Ricki Herbert emphasised the “presence” of Belgian signing Stein Huysegems.

Elsewhere, and judging by my first look at West Sydney Wanderers’ Croatian recruit Dino Kresinger last week, Tony Popovic has also gone for a big man as the focal point in his attack.

Crosstown rivals, Sydney FC, appear to have gone the other way, with Kruno Lovrek seemingly the type of mobile, technical striker that is equally as comfortable roaming outside the box as he is inside.

It’s the same at Melbourne Victory, where Guilherme Finkler has been added to the front third stocks, and Adelaide, where John Kosmina has brought in diminutive Argentine Jeronimo Neumann.

Increasingly, this appears to be the trend not only overseas, but in the A-League.

And while the likes of Heskey might bring some variety, the move to a more technical and mobile front third appears the more likely solution.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/09/19/having-heskey-in-the-a-league-would-buck-a-trend-towards-mobility/

ouch so now we're taking the game backwards.

$1.3m is huge money probably would have been better to go for ADP at $2m a year. Honestly can't see us getting any where near the return on that investment.

If we have that sort of coin to spend I'd rather sign griff for this year and focus and regroup for the 2013-14 season and try and get the cream of the free agents, not settle for what's left on the shelf this year.

Zico
19-09-2012, 10:57 AM
ouch so now we're taking the game backwards.

$1.3m is huge money probably would have been better to go for ADP at $2m a year. Honestly can't see us getting any where near the return on that investment.

If we have that sort of coin to spend I'd rather sign griff for this year and focus and regroup for the 2013-14 season and try and get the cream of the free agents, not settle for what's left on the shelf this year.
I agree totally with that article and there is no way I can see $1.3m of value in Heskey.

pv4
19-09-2012, 11:07 AM
how good does normal service resuming feel

belchardo
19-09-2012, 11:08 AM
likewise. (to Zico's point).

Rocknerd
19-09-2012, 11:09 AM
If Hesky is a brilliant signing and scores more than Joel has previously, then I'll buy a HSGHPNUJFC Strip and get Heskey on the back.

pv4
19-09-2012, 11:22 AM
look on the bright side - at least we'll get mentioned every week in Soccer AM

plague
19-09-2012, 11:28 AM
I wish Craig Foster would put his own name on his articles.
Keeping track of all his alias' is really hard these days.

Another thing, how much is Griff on in China? Half that (1.3m) much? Does anyone have any accurate info?
Just seems weird we're willing to splash huge dollars on Heskey when the people's champ could be pryed away for less.

Bon
19-09-2012, 11:30 AM
look on the bright side - at least we'll get mentioned every week in Soccer AM

I just want to see more unbelivable tekkers.. :lol:

Tommyjet
19-09-2012, 11:54 AM
I wish Craig Foster would put his own name on his articles.
Keeping track of all his alias' is really hard these days.

Another thing, how much is Griff on in China? Half that (1.3m) much? Does anyone have any accurate info?
Just seems weird we're willing to splash huge dollars on Heskey when the people's champ could be pryed away for less.

Pretty sure griff is on 1mil

Jetmaster
19-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Defo Griff is on more than a million a season - I remember reading it somewhere on the old foz.

Tommyjet
19-09-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm just gonna remain optimistic and say he won't weaken our squad lol

pv4
19-09-2012, 12:02 PM
we were looking at Griff for 300-400k & jerks management said he gets more than 3 times that in china.

so carry the two, deans out is the answer.

pv4
19-09-2012, 12:03 PM
can confirm will be getting Heskey jerseys purely for the lulzturtlez

hauss
19-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Heskey has more meme cred than any other EPL player in EPL history.

samus
19-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Tribal football reporting Hesky has rejected our offer.

Blackmac79
19-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Hopefully when Heskey rejects us Middleby and Deans will tuck their heads in and buy Joels contract out.

furns
19-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Tribal football reporting Hesky has rejected our offer.Are they reporting the first rejection or is he rejecting the new offer?

Blackmac79
19-09-2012, 12:44 PM
The report is from yesterday.

plague
19-09-2012, 12:45 PM
we were looking at Griff for 300-400k & jerks management said he gets more than 3 times that in china.

so carry the two, deans out is the answer.

Ok cheers lads.
Another question, are Palmer and Middleby part of the same brains trust that said no to Smeltz wanting $350k or thereabouts?

coastiehater
19-09-2012, 12:50 PM
i personally think they are only reporting the initial rejection as stated on the world game. although i hope he does reject our offer

BodyNovo
19-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Tribal football reporting Hesky has rejected our offer.

its tribal football. would not believe a thing from that website

steve136
19-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Don't sign Heskey! I would much prefer Jesic started up front this season!

Oh wait...you're all crazy.

Tommyjet
19-09-2012, 01:39 PM
The crazy ones are those expecting Joel to automatically quit drogba and anelka and come home now. Joel will come home when he's ready and from wat I've heard gve would definitely make room for him.

The Dunster
19-09-2012, 01:49 PM
http://wagwar.football365.fr/images/joueur/thumbs/tagoe.jpg

Emile Heskey would have high operating costs. Hence the 1.3m is understandable.

pistolpete
19-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Don't sign Heskey! I would much prefer Jesic started up front this season!

Oh wait...you're all crazy.

It's me old mate Steve :) How goes it mate?

derajydac
19-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Lets so a comparison.

Heskey vs Messi;

-Heskey has never missed a penalty, Messi has.
-Heskey has 61 caps for England, Messi has 0.
-Heskey has scored 7 goals for England, Messi has 0.
-Heskey has scored 100+ goals in the Premier League, Messi has never scored in it.
-Heskey undoubtedly has a larger cock than Messi.
-Heskey is black, Messi isn't.
-Heskey's feet are size 15, Messi's are a tiny size 10.
-Emile's shots go out for throw-ins, Messi's don't.
-Heskey's bitch is sexier than Messi's bitch.
-Heskey misses a lot because he doesn't want to upset the goalkeepers feelings, Messi just scores all the time because he's a twat.
-Heskey has played in more World Cups than Messi.
-Emile has played for more clubs than Messi, meaning he is more versatile.
-Heskey has been bought for bigger transfers fee than Messi ever has.
-Heskey quite clearly has a better haircut than Messi.
-Messi played shit in the Champions League Semi Final against Chelsea, Heskey didn't.
-Heskey has never had a bad game in La Liga, Messi has.
-Heskey weighs much more than Messi, making him the better man.
-Heskey's head is infinitely bigger than Messi's.
-Messi is one ugly little shit, whereas Heskey even gives straight guys a boner.
-Heskey can play without Xavi and Iniesta.
-Heskey changes clubs regularly, as he wants to give everyone a chance with his brilliance, Messi just stays at Barcelona.
-Heskey has better strength, heading accuracy and aggression on FIFA 12 (the only attributes that matter).
-Heskey has played more times in the Euro's than Messi.
-Messi has never made a girl orgasm, Heskey does by simply staring into a womens eyes.
-Heskey's middle name is 'William Ivanhoe', which is far better and cooler than Messi's middle name 'Andrés'.
-Heskey has had shit managers such as Alex Mecleish and Steve Bruce, whereas Messi has had Pep Guardiola.
-Heskey can play at Centre Back, Messi can't.
-Heskey has more pubic hairs than Messi has goals.
-Heskey hits his shots into row Z because he's a nice guy and wants to interact with the supporters.
-Heskey has kids, Messi doesn't because he can't score off the pitch.
-Messi earns more than Heskey, meaning he is greedier and therefore a prick.

seldom
19-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Another question, are Palmer and Middleby part of the same brains trust that said no to Smeltz wanting $350k or thereabouts?

everytime I wish we had a decent striker I remember this decision not to sign Smeltz. Believe it was craig deans who said he was overated.

DEANS OUT - MIDDLEBY OUT

GazFish35
19-09-2012, 02:11 PM
excellent logic.

i think its the same logic Branko used when signing jesic

david silva
19-09-2012, 02:15 PM
fox sports tweeting:
BREAKING: @foxsports_news can confirm former England striker Emile Heskey has signed a one-year deal with @newcastlejetsfc #HAL #foxfootball

Guerny
19-09-2012, 02:26 PM
fox sports tweeting:
BREAKING: @foxsports_news can confirm former England striker Emile Heskey has signed a one-year deal with @newcastlejetsfc #HAL #foxfootball

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/former-england-striker-emile-heskey-set-to-sign-for-a-league-club-newcastle-jets-according-to-reports/story-e6frf4gl-1226476888791

hauss
19-09-2012, 02:52 PM
I griff this heskey

BodyNovo
19-09-2012, 02:55 PM
we shouldn't settle at this.

lets go and get griff now to, make him marquee and heskey international marquee its simple. make it happen jerks.

imagine harpergasms when heskey feeds griff for goals.

parksey
19-09-2012, 02:57 PM
this is hilarious

parksey
19-09-2012, 02:58 PM
heil heskey

boz-monaut
19-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Griff I hope this works.

derajydac
19-09-2012, 03:11 PM
I am losing my shit. This better be confirmed soon.

parksey
19-09-2012, 03:14 PM
now get Griff.

steve136
19-09-2012, 03:22 PM
It's me old mate Steve :) How goes it mate?

Good mate. Well psyched to watch another a-league season on crappy online streams!