PDA

View Full Version : Daily Australian News 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Thomas477
23-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Only problem is Tadic isn't a wide player and saying he will replace Bridgey, you're only replacing a squad player with another.

And if you get him, he's a target man like Heskey. Where does that leave Heskey?

pv4
23-12-2012, 11:30 AM
like I've said previously - Heskey has spent a large amount of his career alongside another striker. he doesn't just function as a solo striker

Thomas477
23-12-2012, 12:57 PM
like I've said previously - Heskey has spent a large amount of his career alongside another striker. he doesn't just function as a solo striker

Fair enough, but in our front 4 of Heskey, Goodwin, Griff and Virigilli who would you replace? I wouldnt change our 2 holding mids atm, but even if you did, has Jobe or Zad done anything to warrant them being dropped (from a reasonable POV, not GvE's)?

EDIT: And you can chuck Riberio in there as well, people would be blowing up if he didnt get a run either.

Bremsstrahlung
23-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Fair enough, but in our front 4 of Heskey, Goodwin, Griff and Virigilli who would you replace? I wouldnt change our 2 holding mids atm, but even if you did, has Jobe or Zad done anything to warrant them being dropped (from a reasonable POV, not GvE's)?

EDIT: And you can chuck Riberio in there as well, people would be blowing up if he didnt get a run either.
4-4-2
------Heskey------Griff------
Goods------Ribs--------Virg/Zad
----------Jobe/Zad----------

3-2-3-2

------Heskey----Griff--------
Goods------Ribs---------Virgili
------Jobe--------Zad---------

Won't happen until our Defence starts to tighten up though. Attack as a 3-2-3-2, Defend as a 4-4-2.

Thomas477
23-12-2012, 02:47 PM
4-4-2
------Heskey------Griff------
Goods------Ribs--------Virg/Zad
----------Jobe/Zad----------

3-2-3-2

------Heskey----Griff--------
Goods------Ribs---------Virgili
------Jobe--------Zad---------

Won't happen until our Defence starts to tighten up though. Attack as a 3-2-3-2, Defend as a 4-4-2.

My point was where would you put Tadic? He doesn't fit in.

Bremsstrahlung
23-12-2012, 03:03 PM
My point was where would you put Tadic? He doesn't fit in.

Oops. My bad. Thought we were just getting Heskey a friend. As you were...

WolfMan
26-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Milligan suspended for 2 matches, including our visit on Friday.

From Foxsports.com.au

Melbourne Victory midfielder Mark Milligan has been banned for two A-League matches for a jab to the stomach of Heart rival Jonatan Germano in last weekend's derby.

Milligan's first half hit on Germano was missed by match officials, but was picked up by the match review panel in its deliberations on Monday.

The Socceroo will miss the Victory's clash with Newcastle at AAMI Park on Friday night, and the New Year's Day match at Western Sydney Wanderers.

"The MRP determined that the player had committed the offence of assault on a player (violent conduct when not challenging for the ball) against Jonatan Germano," the panel said in a statement.

It is a double blow for the Victory, who have already lost skipper Adrian Leijer for the Jets match after his suspension for exceeding the yellow card limit.

seldom
26-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Milligan suspended for 2 matches, including our visit on Friday.

From Foxsports.com.au

oooorrrrrrr what a shame

Grimario
27-12-2012, 03:39 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-take-17-to-Melbourne/56731

Jets take 17 to Melbourne
The Newcastle Jets have taken a 17-man squad to Melbourne, as they embark on their six-day stay for Rounds 13 and 14 of the Hyundai A-League.

The Jets take on the Victory on Friday evening before taking on the Heart on Tuesday and coach Gary van Egmond is pleased the team has been afforded the stay in between games.

"We have been lucky that the Club will keep us down there; we will settle in, some wives and girlfriends are coming, we are doing what we can to ensure it is usual as in between games as normal," the coach said before departing for Melbourne.

The Jets are taking James Brown and Bernardo Ribeiro in addition to last week's winning team and Jack Duncan has been replaced by Ben Kennedy.

"The team won’t be much different to the Sydney game, I thought we played well overall and I would like to reward those guys that won against Sydney with the chance to play against the Victory," van Egmond added.

Kennedy returns from a knee injury and will be competing for the number one spot with Mark Birighitti now both goalkeepers are fit.

"Ben played 60 minutes with the Youth last weekend, he was out longer than Mark so it was good for him to get game time," van Egmond said.

"He will be pushing Mark for the number one spot and we look forward to their ongoing battle."

Friday's match will bring up van Egmond's 100th A-League game coached.

"It is nice to get to that milestone and to get to that many games, but that old cliché, I would trade it for the wins," he said about his achievement.

Newcastle Jets 17-man squad:
1. Ben Kennedy (gk), 2. Scott Neville, 4. Josh Mitchell, 5. Dominik Ritter, 7. James Brown, 8. Ruben Zadkovich (c), 9. Emile Heskey, 10. Bernardo Ribeiro, 11. Connor Chapman, 12. Josh Brillante, 13. Sam Gallaway, 15. Craig Goodwin, 17. James Virgili, 18. Jacob Pepper, 20. Mark Birighitti, 22. Adam Taggart, 23. Ryan Griffiths.

So, only 3 changes to the whole squad... which means BK is going to start and the 3 outfield players off the bench last week will be in the starting line up. Right?

pv4
27-12-2012, 05:30 PM
is tiago legit injured?

and is bridges going all ragequit on twitter nowadays? :lulz:

militiamon
27-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Bridges just needs to retire into a full-time staff role already. Will work out best for everyone (and I mean that genuinely, he would be a huge asset to have at the club as a staff member).

The only way I can see him breaking into the team at the moment is if two of our strikers (say Heskey and Taggart) were to pick up injuries at the same time.

seldom
27-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Bridges just needs to retire into a full-time staff role already. Will work out best for everyone (and I mean that genuinely, he would be a huge asset to have at the club as a staff member).

The only way I can see him breaking into the team at the moment is if two of our strikers (say Heskey and Taggart) were to pick up injuries at the same time.

Put him in charge of the yoof and make it compulsory to play locals...fvck these coaching imposters off already

stopper2
28-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Put him in charge of the yoof and make it compulsory to play locals...fvck these coaching imposters off already

Agree 100%
Pascoe and to a lesser extent Zane are too involved with Hunter Sports High.....you can't wear two hats.
The Jets Youth coach should be 100% committed to the Jets and have a strong relationship with the coaches who are bringing the younger players through in the Jets Emerging Programs. Apart from Heskey there would be no one in the club who has a better knowledge of the game than Bridges.....perfect fit.

Pico
28-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Bridges really is the ideal bloke for one of the emerging jets positions, heap of experience overseas and in Australia, is settled with the family in newy and is isolated from any perceived or real external influences around NNSW.

Also get him to coach the W-League team too, and get rid of that useless coastie stinking up NNSW & the w-league.

Pico
28-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Actually I guess thats not possible now, and that useless coastie keeps climbing up the ladder....

Rising coach finds silver lining after injuries
By CRAIG KERRY
Dec. 27, 2012, 10:30 p.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-36mDshx2U2dAuMR3XyjpW6R/a9326cf3-f0f1-46cf-8390-27acb28db6d5.jpg

NEW JOB: Ryan Campbell. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers

THREE cruel twists of fate ruined Ryan Campbell's dream of playing for Newcastle.
See your ad here

But those twists, which led to three knee reconstructions, have helped put Campbell in position to mould the Jets of tomorrow.

The New Lambton 21-year-old has been appointed one of two full-time head coaches of the inaugural Emerging Jets program.

Campbell will oversee the skill acquisition phase (9 to 13 years) of the ground-breaking system, which is a joint venture of Northern NSW Football, the Jets and Football Federation Australia.

The full-time coach of the game training phase, which covers 14 to 16 years teams, is yet to be finalised but the Herald has been told Jets W-League and long-time Northern NSW Institute of Sport coach Wayne O'Sullivan has been given the nod.

Campbell was appointed by a committee of Jets head coach Gary van Egmond, FFA technical director Han Berger and NNSWF technical director David Smith. He will start his duties on January 7 at the annual high performance camp in Armidale.

In his role, the primary school teaching student will work with team coaches and ensure training is in line with the FFA national curriculum.

It is a crucial role in developing the region's broad talent pool and one Campbell feels privileged and excited to hold.

Those emotions, though, are a long way from the events which led him to coaching.

"I came through the Northern NSW system and was in state teams," Campbell said.

"But when I was 15 I had an ACL reconstruction on my right knee.

"The next year I did the same knee again.

"I played a bit when I was 17, trying to get back into it, and I did my left knee.

"At that stage I thought, I've had three seasons out at probably the most important stage of my development and that's it, but I wanted to stay involved in the game."

Under the guidance of Smith, Campbell has risen quickly through the ranks at NNSWF, coaching under 13, 14 and 15 girls teams. Being not far from his playing days, Campbell fits FFA's mould for a skill acquisition coach.

"I've still got the ability to play bits and pieces and demonstrate things," he said.
See your ad here

"That's a major reason why they are going with the younger ex-players because demonstration is so important in teaching young kids."

In the role, he will probably be overseeing older coaches.

"As long as you go the right way about it, make sure you earn their respect, and don't treat it as an age gap - just treat it like everyone's coaching and we're all there to work together - I don't feel it's a problem," he said.

www.theherald.com.au/story/1207213/rising-coach-finds-silver-lining-after-injuries/?cs=306

Premy
28-12-2012, 11:23 AM
How come Tagart can not get a run? His good enough to play in a 3rd string national side and bang in a few goals why not give the kid a chance

Tommyjet
28-12-2012, 12:47 PM
How come Tagart can not get a run? His good enough to play in a 3rd string national side and bang in a few goals why not give the kid a chance

In my opinion I'd give him a run instead of ryu griff playing off Heskey. Just felt griff effectiveness hasnt been that great for a couple of games and needs a stint on the pine, maybe come on for one of the front 4 at some stage

Premy
28-12-2012, 01:42 PM
In my opinion I'd give him a run instead of ryu griff playing off Heskey. Just felt griff effectiveness hasnt been that great for a couple of games and needs a stint on the pine, maybe come on for one of the front 4 at some stage

I share your thoughts on griff and I think he will serve the team far better on the bench Tagart is a more out right striker where griff can also play left and right hence giving egghead more options

Thomas477
28-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Its bad enough that Sullyvan has destroyed our W-League team, now he's being given the nod in one of, if not the most important coaching role for our future?

**** off NNSWF, keeping it in house.

Good story though for that kid, plus he won't be in a position of having links to kids's parents which may influence his decisions wrt the kids.

Bremsstrahlung
28-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Have also heard Peter Junchnewicz (spelling?) ex-Newcastle United/Edgeworth/Hamilton Olympic player has one of the roles. May be assisting Sullivan. Coached Olympic 17s in 2011, and Olympic 19s in 2012. Sounds of similar characteristics as Ryan Campbell. Youngish, played, good at working with kids.

pv4
28-12-2012, 05:14 PM
junky was a fantastic player. anyone who missed out on the chance to watch him whilst at edgy really missed out - his biggest fan in the stands was very lolworthy

stopper2
28-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Its bad enough that Sullyvan has destroyed our W-League team, now he's being given the nod in one of, if not the most important coaching role for our future?

Good story though for that kid, plus he won't be in a position of having links to kids's parents which may influence his decisions wrt the kids.

Obviously the criteria wasn't only about what he has achieved with the women Thomas.
O'Sullivan has done a good job with NSWIS and NNSW state teams in recent years so he is the perfect candidate for this 14-16 age group.

I just hope sanity prevails and Gumprecht comes nowhere near this Emerging Jets program, from what I have seen and heard from other people, this guy is a deadset raving lunatic. Ryan Campbell is an excellent choice for the role of working with the younger group. We need people like Sully, Junky and him encouraging and nurturing youth in the 9-16 age group, not playing the game in fear of making a mistake.

militiamon
28-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Obviously the criteria wasn't only about what he has achieved with the women Thomas.
O'Sullivan has done a good job with NSWIS and NNSW state teams in recent years so he is the perfect candidate for this 14-16 age group.

I just hope sanity prevails and Gumprecht comes nowhere near this Emerging Jets program, from what I have seen and heard from other people, this guy is a deadset raving lunatic. Ryan Campbell is an excellent choice for the role of working with the younger group. We need people like Sully, Junky and him encouraging and nurturing youth in the 9-16 age group, not playing the game in fear of making a mistake.

http://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de/media.media.1ac42cf6-8d23-4ed3-bd68-36ad65dd634f.normalized.jpeg

pv4
28-12-2012, 06:31 PM
I've heard amazing things about gumps as a early-teens coach - from a few parents of kids in his teams

Thomas477
28-12-2012, 06:31 PM

I hope you're right mate, but given his recent history with the W-League I dont have alot of faith.

28-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Not sure about Andre being a lunatic. He was charged with coaching a particular style of football to young kids with potential, sometimes it takes a loud personailty to get the message through.

hawk
28-12-2012, 07:03 PM
I've heard amazing things about gumps as a early-teens coach - from a few parents of kids in his teams

enough of this gypo sympathising from border towns. forest gump out

Muswellbrookian
28-12-2012, 07:53 PM

Tinkler has done more damage to the W-League team than anyone. The minute he decided to withdraw the money they were pretty much doomed to become one of the poorer teams in the competition.

terry
28-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Tinkler has done more damage to the W-League team than anyone. The minute he decided to withdraw the money they were pretty much doomed to become one of the poorer teams in the competition.

w league is my left foot. ugly

Muswellbrookian
28-12-2012, 09:12 PM
w league is my left foot. ugly

It's also a valid and important part of our continuing development as a football nation. It needs all the support it can get, and when greedy fat f*cks like Tinkler pull the plug on the very significant funds they have invested in it, football suffers as a result.

seldom
28-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Actually I guess thats not possible now, and that useless coastie keeps climbing up the ladder....

Smiths robotic coaches....good luck

Pico
29-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Comeback may be a bridge too far
By COMMENT by ROBERT DILLON
Dec. 28, 2012, 10:30 p.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/silverstone-feed-data/c508504d-b0bf-42b1-8da9-7b2185972519.jpg

CLASS: Michael Bridges, left.

See your ad here

MICHAEL Bridges has fought back from adversity so many times that by now it must be second nature to roll with the punches.

After bursting on the scene as a teenager with his home-town club, Sunderland, the lanky striker was regarded as one of the brightest young prospects in the English game, only for injuries to ruin what should have been the best years of his career.

Each time he dusted himself off and resumed, often in a new locale, his love for the game apparently undiminished. A lesser man might have conceded it was just not meant to be.

Now Bridges finds himself at what could well prove to be his last problematic juncture as a professional footballer.

This time his obstacle is not injury but lack of opportunity.

When Jets coach Gary van Egmond announced his 17-man touring party for the road trip to Melbourne, there was news for Bridges that has become all too familiar - his services were not required.

This season the 34-year-old has played only 45 minutes off the bench in five games, in stints of 12, seven, five, eight and 13 minutes. On one occasion he sat on the bench for the whole game as an unused sub.

For an impatient rookie, such treatment would be disappointing. For a veteran hoping - but fast running out of time - to leave a lasting impression in his twilight years, it must be heart-breaking. He no doubt believes he still has something to offer, and plenty of good judges feel the same.

Before a ball was kicked in this campaign, he said there were still a few miles left in his often-repaired pins.

"I've always been fit as a fiddle, but I'm in as good a shape as I ever have been," he said at the time. "When I came back from England for pre-season I went straight into the Cooper Test [to measure endurance] and this 34-year-old beat all the young boys."

Even in his cameo stints, in games that have usually been won or lost before he sets foot on the pitch, his creativity and class have been obvious.

But it seems whatever role van Egmond had planned for Bridges was scrapped after the Jets signed Emile Heskey, a former England junior teammate.

Van Egmond clearly likes to surround Heskey with the likes of Ryan Griffiths, James Brown, Adam Taggart, James Virgili and Craig Goodwin.

The question of whether Heskey and Bridges could operate effectively in tandem is hard to answer, simply because they have hardly been sighted together.

Only twice have they been on the same pitch in Newcastle's colours: eight minutes against Wellington in round seven, and 13 minutes against Central Coast in round 10. Both times the Jets were 2-0 down and chasing the game.

Unless van Egmond is saving Bridges for the business end of the season, it would appear his best chance of meaningful playing time is if Heskey is injured, or rested.

This is not to stay that the coach is wasting a potentially valuable resource.

Van Egmond wants his team to play a certain way and perhaps one veteran up front is all he can tolerate.

Right or wrong, he deserves respect for reminding us yet again that he pays little heed to reputations when picking his team. It is not a popularity contest.

By the same token, Bridges has handled this situation like the senior professional he is.

While he tweeted this week that he was "gutted" about his non-selection and heading out to the golf course to "take some frustration out on the balls", Bridges has never once shown signs of spitting the dummy.

Unlike Robbie Fowler, who once petulantly refused to play for North Queensland after being named on the bench, Bridges obviously subscribes to the mantra that no individual is bigger than the team.
See your ad here

And unlike Kasey Wehrman, ostracised last season for indiscreet comments about van Egmond's tactics, Bridges has been wise enough not to challenge the boss's authority.

What Bridges no doubt desires more than anything is a chance to contribute to the team. A decent chance to show whether he's still got it.

He came out of a brief retirement 18 months ago because he felt he had unfinished business.

It would be a shame if that was still the case when the full-time whistle eventually blows.

www.theherald.com.au/story/1208426/comeback-may-be-a-bridge-too-far/?cs=306

Bridges getting some love from Dillon, scandal eruption in 3...2...1...

Pico
29-12-2012, 11:02 AM
SPORTING DECLARATION: Time to take a stand
By ROBERT DILLON
Dec. 28, 2012, 10:30 p.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-X7j23GmiySnGzG4anCYb2j/a707c105-7d6c-4a66-ba0a-c24a32a33e76.jpg
Craig Johnston paved the way for other Australian players in the top English league.

IT struck Sporting Declaration as I made my way out of Hunter Stadium last week after the Newcastle Jets’ 2-1 win against Sydney FC.
See your ad here

It is about time that western grandstand, which has been open for 18 months, was given a name.

What jogged my usually sieve-like memory was the talismanic appearance of Craig Johnston in Newcastle’s dressing room before kick-off.

Johnston spoke to the Jets for about 15 minutes and in the words of club chairman Ray Baartz: ‘‘You could have heard a pin drop in there.

‘‘The players were in awe of him.’’

That is hardly surprising, given the magnitude of Johnston’s achievements.

Johnston never played for the Socceroos but nonetheless rates as Australia’s finest footballer of the modern era, if not of all time.

During eight seasons with Liverpool, he played in 190 first-team games and won five first-division championships, two League Cups, the European Cup and scored a famous goal in the 3-1 FA Cup final triumph against Everton in 1986.

No Australian player has been more decorated.

Nobody was a more inspiring role model for young Aussie kids who dreamed of one day playing at the highest level.

Remember that during Johnston’s halcyon days, he was the only Australian playing in England’s top league.

He was the trailblazing pioneer who proved it could be done.

The hero who gave the likes of Mark Bosnich, Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka and Tim Cahill a pathway they could follow.

And of course, he is one of our own.

A proud, parochial Novocastrian who grew up in Lake Macquarie before flying to England as a teenager to try his luck with the Middlesbrough youth team.

Johnston could easily have come home after a couple of weeks, such was the culture shock.

At one point Middlesbrough manager Jack Charlton told him: ‘‘As for you, you kangaroo, you can f - - - off right now. You’re the worst player I’ve seen in my life.’’

But through sheer hard work and determination Johnston became a first-team regular at Boro, before transferring to Liverpool, who at the time were the most dominant and glamorous club in England.

Johnston often joked that he was ‘‘the worst player in the world’s best team’’ but in 2006 a poll of 110,000 Liverpool fans voted him No.59 on a list of the club’s all-time top 100.

And the midfield workhorse never forgot where he came from.

As he told this columnist in an interview two years ago, being able to play for Newcastle KB United in his younger days was as big a thrill as any of his achievements at Anfield.

‘‘To me, that was as important as winning championships or the FA Cup or the European Cup,’’ Johnston said of his spell with his home town club.

‘‘I played for Liverpool but I am not from Liverpool – there is a big difference.

‘‘To be able to come back from England and represent Newcastle, my home town, and play alongside people like Joe Senkalski and [Col] ‘‘Bunny’’ Curran, who I idolised, in front of 15,000 or 20,000 at the old International Sports Centre, as it was known back then, was a very humbling and personal experience ...

‘‘Of all the things I was lucky enough to achieve, in my lifetime, playing for KB was definitely up there in the top five.’’

There could be no more fitting accolade than for this home-grown sporting legend to have the Craig Johnston Stand named in his honour.

The state government wasted no time in christening the Andrew Johns Stand after the rugby league immortal was forced to retire in 2007.

The process was fast-tracked in a matter of days.

Johnston lives in the United States these days but has been back in town for more than a month now, since his father, Colin, passed away.
See your ad here

I understand he has not yet returned to the US, so if the powers-that-be are quick, they might be able to catch him and bestow upon him an honour that is long overdue.

Newcastle’s home game against Adelaide on January 5 would be the ideal opportunity.

The Craig Johnston Stand. It’s the least we can do.

www.theherald.com.au/story/1208178/sporting-declaration-time-to-take-a-stand/?cs=306

I don't normally agree with Dillon but on this, seems very fitting to me.

sammydog
29-12-2012, 11:26 AM
I've heard a rumour from someone previously connected to the club about why Bridges isn't playing, the article doesn't touch on it. If its true, its not injury holding him back. I can't validate the rumour, so I won't stick it up, but it is very interesting if true.

I firmly believe that Bridges has a lot to offer the team, as does Ribeiro. If the team consistently played as they did last night, sure it would be hard to slot them in, but the team isn't consistently playing like they did last night.

pv4
29-12-2012, 11:32 AM
just say it

militiamon
29-12-2012, 11:46 AM
I've heard a rumour from someone previously connected to the club about why Bridges isn't playing, the article doesn't touch on it. If its true, its not injury holding him back. I can't validate the rumour, so I won't stick it up, but it is very interesting if true.

I firmly believe that Bridges has a lot to offer the team, as does Ribeiro. If the team consistently played as they did last night, sure it would be hard to slot them in, but the team isn't consistently playing like they did last night.

Honestly, we have Heskey, Taggart and probably R Griff ahead of him in that position. I don't see what the controversy is.

The Dunster
29-12-2012, 11:57 AM
How can anyone even consider naming a stand after Craig Johnston ? He doesn't even use recreational drugs.

sammydog
29-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Honestly, we have Heskey, Taggart and probably R Griff ahead of him in that position. I don't see what the controversy is.

As I said, if the team was playing like it did last night, I don't know where you would slot bridges in. But the fact is, we haven't been playing like we did last night.

militiamon
29-12-2012, 12:20 PM
So who would you drop to make room for Bridges to start?

Heskey?
Griff?
And you don't think Taggart should be given the chance before him?

Genuine questions, not having a go, I'm just curious because there's a lot of people like you who keep saying he should be brought in, but I'm not seeing how or where.

The Dunster
29-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Forget Heskey, Griff and Taggart. Bridgey is not even up to Bradbury's level these days.

He was a great player but the game has come a long way and he's been left behind.

Thomas477
29-12-2012, 01:26 PM
So who would you drop to make room for Bridges to start?

Heskey?
Griff?
And you don't think Taggart should be given the chance before him?

Genuine questions, not having a go, I'm just curious because there's a lot of people like you who keep saying he should be brought in, but I'm not seeing how or where.

Truth be told, Taggart hasn't really impressed me yet. Yes he scored against Taipei, but so what? He hasn't done anything yet at HAL level to impress me. Would love to see Bridgey on the bench.

true waterboy
29-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Truth be told, Taggart hasn't really impressed me yet. Yes he scored against Taipei, but so what? He hasn't done anything yet at HAL level to impress me. Would love to see Bridgey on the bench.

Ive been impressed with him so far
set up virgilli with what should have been a goal. gotto remember he has only really been given 10 minutes a game to do something and in his regular spot.
would love him to be given a shot as striker alongside heskey

Jeterpool
29-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Rogic 3 match ban

stopper2
30-12-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm not sure with Bridges, would like to see him given more game time just to see if he can make a difference but then I cast my mind back to last season where he was used as a "super-sub" for much of the season...coming on with 20-30 to go when we needed a goal. Was he effective? To be honest I thought that he had some good touches and neat passes but when you compare him to what Petrovski done in his role as a "super-sub" under Branko, Bridges lets face, was largely in-effective last season.

front2
30-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Was Bridgey signed just in case we need a " Super Prepper " ?

hawk
31-12-2012, 12:05 AM
As I said, if the team was playing like it did last night, I don't know where you would slot bridges in. But the fact is, we haven't been playing like we did last night.

He could go alright at the back. At least he'd know where to run/walk.

Jetmaster
31-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Bridges has more ability in his little toe than half the Jets in the first team - fact.

pistolpete
31-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Bridges has more ability in his little toe than half the Jets in the first team - fact.

His little toe must be broken then

stopper2
31-12-2012, 12:44 PM
No doubting that technically and ability-wise he is probably second to none but his supporters are forgetting his "end product"...i.e his actual effectiveness, does he score goals, create goals, cause a real nuisance for defences. On last years performances, more no than yes.

SkillsCoach
31-12-2012, 12:49 PM
No doubting that technically and ability-wise he is probably second to none but his supporters are forgetting his "end product"...i.e his actual effectiveness, does he score goals, create goals, cause a real nuisance for defences. On last years performances, more no than yes.

You are forgetting that last year we didn't have the cattle to support and this year we have guys with good engines. You cannot tell what he is like in 45 mins all season. It's just another kasey of GVE not wanting to experiment or adapt to the change in personnel we have.

The Dunster
31-12-2012, 12:55 PM
You only needed to see Bridges play in youth and trial games over the past season or so to see that he's not good enough.

At those levels players like Chapman and Virgili dominated. Bridges did not dominate at all.

Sure, he does make the occasional play / move that reminds you of how good he used to be. Then a few mins later he will either lose the ball, misdirect a pass, or fail to close down an opponent.

His toal lack of athleticism is a big problem and makes him a liability at A-league level.

I'd love to see him line up every week if he could do the job. But from what I've seen he's finished.

Thomas477
31-12-2012, 01:13 PM
You are forgetting that last year we didn't have the cattle to support and this year we have guys with good engines. You cannot tell what he is like in 45 mins all season. It's just another kasey of GVE not wanting to experiment or adapt to the change in personnel we have.

FFS, we bag GvE if he changes the team due to an injured player, now we're calling for him to change the squad.

If Bridges is in, Taggart would be out and people would be howling about GvE's poor management skills playing Bridges instead of a bloke who has scored for Australia. FFS, people need to wake up and realise that theres only 11 players on the field.

That being said, I do like Bridges, but if he's not in the team, its obvious GvE doesnt need him for that game. No point GvE playing someone who doesn't fit into his tactics, or do you forget Jardel?

militiamon
31-12-2012, 02:17 PM

Did anyone else find this amazing? :rof:

FFS, we bag GvE if he changes the team due to an injured player, now we're calling for him to change the squad.

If Bridges is in, Taggart would be out and people would be howling about GvE's poor management skills playing Bridges instead of a bloke who has scored for Australia. FFS, people need to wake up and realise that theres only 11 players on the field.

That being said, I do like Bridges, but if he's not in the team, its obvious GvE doesnt need him for that game. No point GvE playing someone who doesn't fit into his tactics, or do you forget Jardel?

I haven't always agreed with you in the past, but you nailed it with this. Agree with your comments on Taggart as well (although I think he has potential, he hasn't showed it at the A-League level yet).

Pico
31-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Brisbane Roar unable to stop young star Corey Brown jetting away

Marco Monteverde
The Courier-Mail
December 31, 2012 12:00AM

THE exodus of Australia's best young talent from Brisbane Roar continues, with Young Socceroos star Corey Brown understood to have agreed to terms with Newcastle Jets.

The Courier-Mail has learnt Brown, 19 next Monday, is set to link with the Jets when the A-League transfer window opens on January 14.

The departure of Brisbane's left fullback, currently on a full-time youth team deal, comes hot on the heels of fellow teenage defender Jason Geria's move to the Ange Postecoglou-coached Melbourne Victory last month.

And there could be further pain for the Roar, with 20-year-old attacker Nick Fitzgerald also being courted by at least two other clubs.

Brisbane's delay in offering the Sydney-born speedster a formal new deal could come back to haunt them.

Both Brown and Fitzgerald have been frustrated by their lack of first-team opportunities at the Brisbane Roar.

The situation has improved slightly in the past fortnight for Fitzgerald since Mike Mulvey replaced Rado Vidosic as Brisbane head coach, but the former Central Coast Mariners young gun is still unhappy with his bit-part role.

The Roar have also turned down the chance to sign 35-year-old former Manchester United and Arsenal defender Mikael Silvestre, whose services were offered to four A-League clubs.

Brisbane fullback Ivan Franjic is expected to be fit to take on Wellington Phoenix at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow night despite still being hampered by a heel problem.

Meanwhile FFA officials will meet with Adelaide United representatives this week to hear new evidence in the Reds' bid to have Roar striker Besart Berisha cited for an alleged spitting offence in Brisbane's 1-0 win at Hindmarsh Stadium last Wednesday.

Could be bad news for Gallaway, Ritter or Mitchell on the contract front.

westjet
31-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Isnt our squad full?

Tommyjet
31-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Good player from wat I've seen, I'm thinking jesic might be off

MFKS
31-12-2012, 07:16 PM
If this is the Jets I know and love it will most likely be us selling Goodwin and bringing in some nobody to replace him!!!

Tommyjet
31-12-2012, 08:02 PM
If this is the Jets I know and love it will most likely be us selling Goodwin and bringing in some nobody to replace him!!!
This fella is more of a left back than Goodwin which I reckon we need cover in. Highly rated by a lot of the roar supporters that wanted to see him instead of stefanutto occasionally as he showed good promise when he filled in at times last season. Gotta remember Goodwin was basically a nobody until the back end of last season

Pico
01-01-2013, 08:49 AM
DAVID LOWE: The more things change ...
By DAVID LOWE
Dec. 31, 2012, 10:30 p.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-36mDshx2U2dAuMR3XyjpW6R/6b81aa73-6177-42f1-b9eb-3303ad4fb836.jpg

I LOOK at the date at the top of my page, 1/1/13, and think cheekily to myself, maybe that’s the best way to describe rugby union tactics in the modern era, then remind myself it’s a date that should signify a fresh start, new hope, and change for the better.

‘‘Stick to your own code Lowey and try to stay positive’’, I remind myself. I’ve got to tell you that is easier said than done.

I have, like most old men, a well-worn repertoire of phrases I like to trot out when the occasion warrants, and one of my favourites – ‘‘the more things change, the more they stay the same’’ – has appeared on more than the odd occasion in this column. It’s time to bring it out again.

What is so different about football, and its prospects in Newcastle on the first day of 2013 compared to, say, two years ago, or perhaps even five or 10?

Despite the assurances emanating from the Hunter Sports Group, there are still concerns – unfounded some will undoubtedly say – about the future of the club.

For as long as I can remember there have been question marks over the sustainability and viability of Newcastle’s various footballing flagships. So no real change there.

What has improved is the affordability of attendance, the marketing, and the information available to Jets fans, and HSG is to be congratulated for that.

Fortunes have tended to fluctuate on the pitch, as will happen over time. The Jets and Newcastle teams before them have had brief flashes of success and extensive periods of mid-table competitiveness, coupled with occasional mediocrity.

‘‘That’s pretty normal, Lowey,’’ I can hear you say, and I would tend to agree. It’s normal if you are happy to have the once-in-10-year highlight and turn up every other week just happy there is a game on and a team to support.

A colleague of mine, slightly older and wiser, reminds me that 35years ago Alan Vest, inaugural coach of Newcastle ‘‘KB’’ United, arrived in town and, to much teeth gnashing from the locals, announced that he would have to import players because very few local footballers were up to the level required.

The quota of local players in the starting side picked up when Col Curran and Joe Senkalski returned from Sydney, and then the golden crop from Booragul, the Tredennicks, Brett Cowburn and Malcolm McClelland boosted numbers. But my friend points out that three decades plus later, we still rely on imports to fill the majority of starting places in the Jets first XI.

I joke, along with many pundits, that it’s hard to pin down Jets coach Gary van Egmond’s preferred starting XI, but on a good day you could say that Josh Mitchell, Jobe Wheelhouse, and maybe James Virgili are fairly regular starters in the current team. Two or three out of XI. Hmmm, it’s been worse.

Five years ago in a title-winning team, Stu Musialik was probably the only genuine local starter. You could make a claim for James Holland, who came into the side late, and a flimsy case for Jade North, from Taree via Queensland. Wheelhouse was also a squad member.

The Ian Crook-coached side, with van Egmond as his assistant, that went close to a grand final in the early 2000s had Andy Roberts and current Jets chief executive officer Robbie Middleby as their only regular local starters.

So if the often maligned Vest was in fact correct, and a host of coaches since seem to have concurred, what have we done to change things?

If you answered bugger all, go to the top of the class.

Apart from the occasional foray into the Sydney competitions, our best young footballers have, by and large, remained in relatively insular competitions to the detriment, in my opinion, of their development.

Human nature dictates that you will rise only to the level that you need to in order to succeed. How much does, say, the best 13-year-old player need to improve to be the best 16-year-old in the exact same pool of kids?

Another friend with a wise head poses this question: ‘‘Do you think if Perth or Brisbane had a city the size of Sydney two hours down the road, they wouldn’t take their kids down to play against that vast reservoir of talent?’’

So we waited with hopes high that a funded Jets academy might provide an answer, a bridge for our youth to find a way to make it though to the A-League.

Alas, thus far we have received a watered down, politically considered, user-pays model that very much maintains the status quo. The NNSW federation, it seems, will continue to oversee youth development, although the Jets have put their name and badge on it.

The worst-kept secret in local football circles is that van Egmond and the federation’s decision makers had different views on who should head the programs, and it looks like the federation holds sway.

Imagine the federation and the head of the city’s national football representative not seeing eye to eye. Another first!

On the pitch, nothing much changed either. The Jets in their quest to ‘‘control’’ matches, continue to leave themselves vulnerable at the back, regardless of different personnel combinations, and continue to leak goals.

Their match this afternoon against a hurting Melbourne Heart is a danger game. The Heart’s football content belies their league position, they have four key players returning fresh and rested, and will be desperate for a win.

Yes, the Jets were brave against the Victory, a little naive as well in my eyes, but at what physical cost?
See your ad here

They courageously clawed their way back into the contest against Melbourne Victory on Friday by expending a lot of energy to press their opponents high in the second half.

If there are any residual physical effects from that exertion, an early 4pm kick-off on a predicted hot Melbourne afternoon ensures they will be thoroughly tested by a hungry, mobile Heart side.

I have a nagging doubt about the Jets in daytime conditions. They are a ‘‘night’’ side by my reckoning, but they need a win badly here ahead of two tough home games against Adelaide and Brisbane.

Now then, chest cleared, happy New Year, and enjoy your football.

www.theherald.com.au/story/1211530/david-lowe-the-more-things-change/?cs=306

Surprise surprise GVE wants no part of that coastie leading the Jets program, especially when they had the likes of Crook throwing his hand up for the role.

hawk
01-01-2013, 11:03 AM
The Courier-Mail has learnt Brown, 19 next Monday, is set to link with the Jets when the A-League transfer window opens on January 14.
How do we know he'll be better than some of the other superkids we signed that cant aim up?
Still need 2 good hard centre backs

Poshpom
01-01-2013, 11:16 AM
How do we know he'll be better than some of the other superkids we signed that cant aim up?
Still need 2 good hard centre backs

'RICARDO CARVALHO (34, centre-back) Real Madrid
The experienced defender recently admitted it will be "difficult" to stay at the Bernabeu past January given his limited playing time.
QPR might resurrect an interest, as he is available on a free.'

One can but dream!!

lquiquer
01-01-2013, 11:39 AM
"The Roar have also turned down the chance to sign 35-year-old former Manchester United and Arsenal defender Mikael Silvestre, whose services were offered to four A-League clubs"

Silvestre could be handy in centre back for us....If Bridgy not so much in the plans then we should release him of his playing duty and use him as an assistant coach to free a visa spot. Silvestre played 250 ish games for Man U, a couple of years at Arsenal and 40 times for France.....not a bad resume and at 35 he probably still have a couple of years in him. Look at what Svwansdick or whatever his name is does for the scums!!!! And yes Poshpom i agree we do need a good hard centre back

01-01-2013, 12:05 PM
At 35 he is 20 years to old for GVE, you know he likes them young .

ForeverRed
01-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Surprise surprise GVE wants no part of that coastie leading the Jets program, especially when they had the likes of Crook throwing his hand up for the role.

Lowey seems to stop a bit short in his article, his criticism of NNSWF coaches could have been a bit more stinging, NNSWF seem to use whoever is on their books, David Smith seems tohave a job for life regardless of results, as for sullivan I cant see why he would be chosen, also I am not sure putting such a young person such as Ryan Campbell in charge of a very important job or was his hired to be smith and sullivans boy and not allowed to have an opinion

Tommyjet
02-01-2013, 05:00 AM
Apparently Wanderers want zadkovich, poor old zads lads. Apparently his friendship with waterson(x fitness coach now at west sydney) makes it a more likely move.

pv4
02-01-2013, 07:33 AM
http://www.newcastlefootball.net/forum/showthread.php?305-Content-Call&p=18577#post18577

Vandenberg13
02-01-2013, 09:27 AM
http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/western-sydney-wanderers-chasing-newcastle-jets-midfielder-ruben-zadkovich/story-e6frfkp9-1226546462590

Pico
02-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Western Sydney Wanderers chasing Newcastle Jets midfielder Ruben Zadkovich

Tom Smithies
The Daily Telegraph
January 01, 2013 11:30PM

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2013/01/01/1226546/279538-ruben-zadkovich.jpg
Tony Popovic reportedly wants Ruben Zadkovich at the Wanderers. Source: Getty Images

WESTERN Sydney Wanderers' blueprint for next season includes a bold play for Newcastle Jets midfielder Ruben Zadkovich, identified as a key recruit for the high-tempo style preached by coach Tony Popovic.

It is believed the Wanderers boss wants to add the former Sydney FC man to his roster for 2013-14, adding to competition in midfield alongside the likes of Aaron Mooy, Mateo Poljak and Shinji Ono.

Zadkovich, 26, is off contract this season, one of nine at Newcastle allowed to talk to other clubs, and has been captain in the absence of the injured Jobe Wheelhouse.

But the Wanderers' success in their first season has given them an instant allure in the transfer market, and a number of players have noted the fitness work undertaken by both Popovic and conditioning coach Adam Waterson and the beneficial effect on the Wanderers players.

Zadkovich was close to, and highly complimentary of, Waterson when they were both at the Jets last season.

From Fairfield, he suits the Wanderers' desire to maintain a core of genuinely local players to maintain their link with the community.

Zadkovich spent two years with Sydney FC from 2006-2008, overlapping for one season with Popovic, before securing a deal with then EPL club Derby County.

But injury ruined his time in England and the Jets offered him a chance to resurrect his career upon returning to Australia in 2010.

Though characterised as a midfield hardman, not least at times by himself, Zadkovich has shown enough drive and passing range to impress several coaches, including former Socceroos boss Pim Verbeek who gave him a single cap against China in June 2008.

Later that year he was in the Olyroos team that played Argentina, Serbia and Ivory Coast in Beijing.

Popovic is still seeking a striker for next season, though it's believed the Wanderers board would be open to funding a deal for a player during the current transfer window if it included next season as well.

Though Dino Kresinger scored his first goal in the 6-1 drubbing of Adelaide before Christmas, Popovic is keen to add to his striking stocks with just Joey Gibbs as competition for Kresinger at No 9.

Re-signing of several other players is also imminent, with German fullback Jerome Polenz among those in talks about a new deal.

Might explain the captaincy choice.

Pico
02-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Viv Richards a hit but Jets strike out
By JAMES GARDINER
Jan. 1, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-36mDshx2U2dAuMR3XyjpW6R/ccc8e902-43b6-41c0-8b41-70c8da7aa011.jpg
STARS: Emile Heskey with Sir Viv Richards before the game.

HE may be the Master Blaster and a mentor to the Big Bash table-topping Melbourne Stars, but Sir Vivian Richards’s Midas touch did not work on the Newcastle Jets on New Year's Day.
See your ad here

The fit-as-a-fiddle 60-year-old West Indies cricket legend, who still boasts his famous swagger and looks like he could match it with the current crop, is a long-time friend of Jets marquee striker Emile Heskey and addressed the players at the team hotel before the 2-1 loss to Melbourne Heart.

Richards has known Heskey since the striker was at English Premier League club Liverpool, whom the cricketer supports.

Heskey was born in Leicester, but his parents are from Antigua, as is Richards, and the pair have formed a strong bond.

In Melbourne to work with the Shane Warne-led Stars, Richards took time out to catch up with his mate and try to inspire the Jets to a win.

‘‘We didn’t know anything about it,’’ Jets defender and cricket follower Scott Neville said.

‘‘We had a video session and then he walked through the door. Most of us were star struck ... it was Sir Viv Richards.

‘‘He listened to what [coach] Gary [van Egmond] told us and then said a few words.

‘‘The main message was that when we walk out on to the field, it is like war.

‘‘He was a down-to-earth bloke and is obviously good friends with Emile.’’

Richards’s appearance followed that of Newcastle-born Liverpool legend Craig Johnston in the Jets sheds before the 2-1 win over Sydney on December 22.

‘‘It has been huge,’’ Neville said. ‘‘It is a privilege to have these kind of people come and talk to us.’’
See your ad here

Neville aggravated a hamstring injury late in the game and is in doubt for the clash against Adelaide United at Hunter Stadium on Saturday, the first of two straight at home.

‘‘It is pretty sore,’’ Neville said. ‘‘I missed the Victory game and got it ready for today and the last five minutes I felt it. It was more precautionary, but we will see how it pulls up.’’

Neville came in for Dominik Ritter, who is also troubled by a hamstring issue and is in doubt for Saturday.

www.theherald.com.au/story/1212966/viv-richards-a-hit-but-jets-strike-out/?cs=305

Heskey bringing the stars to support newy.....

Thomas477
02-01-2013, 05:11 PM
FFS haven't they got enough of our old players?

We need to keep Zad.

02-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Doug Walters to give the next pre game rev up complete with a bottle of Gatorade and a winnie red for each and every player.

RedMexican
02-01-2013, 06:28 PM
if we lose zad we are ****ed, even more so then what we are now

02-01-2013, 07:01 PM
^ This and the fact he comes from the Gong means i rate him highly also.

MFKS
02-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Finkler injured his knee during the first half of Victory's 2-1 loss to the Western Sydney Wanderers on Tuesday, but the club initially hoped that limited damage had been done.

Scans on Wednesday, however, showed that the 27-year-old had in fact ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament and will be sidelined for up to 12 months.

The Brazilian took to his Twitter account to show his disappointment.

"Today is the worst day in my life. But I will be here supporting MVFC...and I will be back as soon as possible," Finkler tweeted.

Victory's next A-League match is against the Wellington Phoenix at AAMI Park on Saturday.

In light of this and the Tards most likely to want to sign an injury replacement for Finkler any chance we can off load Kanta Jesic or even Mitchell on them

seldom
02-01-2013, 08:57 PM
if we lose zad we are ****ed, even more so then what we are now

nah fvck him off he's 26...way too old...could probs bring in 2 more AIS pups for the money

Thomas477
02-01-2013, 09:00 PM
In light of this and the Tards most likely to want to sign an injury replacement for Finkler any chance we can off load Kanta Jesic or even Mitchell on them

They could use another centre back given Broxham had to play there when Leijer was injured. Could be a goer to get rid of post-Bayern Kanta and Mitchell.

I will expect them to sign a big name player, ala Sydney.

RedMexican
02-01-2013, 09:10 PM
nah fvck him off he's 26...way too old...could probs bring in 2 more AIS pups for the money

now thats some real logic

cobra23
03-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Zads wont go anywhere,
He loves Newy to much, plus he has found a new family(his mrs and her family).
The jets will give him full time captainsy aswell.

belchardo
03-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Zads wont go anywhere,

deja vu all over again???

stopper2
03-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Zads wont go anywhere,

Loves our beaches too.
WSW (Parramatta) is too far from the beach!

Vandenberg13
03-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Loves our beaches too.
WSW (Parramatta) is too far from the beach!

People from the west only go to the beach to make an appearance on Bondi Rescue

GazFish35
03-01-2013, 10:49 PM

People from the east think "the west" starts at the harbour bridge.

q-money
03-01-2013, 10:53 PM
the west starts at granville, when your car gets blown up by an RPG

GazFish35
03-01-2013, 11:08 PM
It actually starts at Linden.

Meaning Rocknerd is a bogan.

parksey
03-01-2013, 11:09 PM
only had to look as far as his taste in music to work that one out

q-money
03-01-2013, 11:10 PM
barenaked ladies smh

Jeterpool
03-01-2013, 11:51 PM

Big LOLs

Pico
04-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Newcastle Jets coach demands return to winning ways

Tom Smithies
The Daily Telegraph
January 04, 2013 12:00AM

BRUISED by a run of just four points from eight games, Newcastle Jets coach Gary van Egmond will demand his players prepare to fight their way back into finals contention - starting with a showdown with Adelaide tomorrow.

Admitting his side desperately needs a win to reignite their season, van Egmond included every available player to face John Kosmina's side with captain Jobe Wheelhouse back from injury.

After double defeats in Melbourne over the past two rounds, Newcastle have slipped to eighth, albeit only a point outside the top six.

"We have to ensure we win the battles that then earn us the right to play," he said. "We've been doing quite well at that in patches during the season, but it's something we will re-emphasise.

"It's about being up for the game - we can get carried away as coaches about this style or that, but if you don't win the duels and the second balls, you won't be able to dictate the game.

"If there's one thing we could be critical of in the Heart game (last weekend), it was that we didn't do that enough, especially in the first half. We allowed Heart to control the game, and that makes it very difficult for any team.

"We have to ensure we're ready for Adelaide - they're doing well, have some very good imports and the table doesn't lie, so there's a tough game ahead."

Wheelhouse's return adds steel to the Jets midfield, and van Egmond said he would have no qualms about utilising his entire squad in the search for a winning combination.

"We definitely have an emphasis on giving young players experience, the sort that will stand them and us in good stead down the line, but we also have an obligation to our supporters and members to be as competitive as possible," van Egmond said. "We know we need three points to get our season back on track."

Van Egmond admitted he had to tread a fine line between rapid-fire tuition for his youngsters and nursing their confidence through a morale-sapping run.

GVE selection process, "Give her a spin Craig"

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6on7MQSbqOMFIG_i1XNC7jTnrBK20s-ll57wRP4ZlQrTkGsM4Hg

Pico
04-01-2013, 08:26 AM
POLL: Stadium touted for sporting museum
By DAMON CRONSHAW
Jan. 3, 2013, 11:04 p.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-5kfsp4NEeEvSvAN3kC8tUn/469493b2-ea46-4bc7-9a68-d3a1833cea5f.jpg

HUNTER Stadium should have a museum displaying the memorabilia of the region’s top sporting stars, Venues NSW chairman John Quayle says.

Venues NSW, an arm of the NSW government that runs the stadium, believes such a museum would be a tourist attraction.

‘‘Part of our strategy is to have a sporting hall of fame within the stadium, like at the SCG or MCG,’’ Mr Quayle said.

‘‘You wouldn’t just set it up in a little room, it’d be a community-based museum and a hall of fame within the stadium.’’

Such a museum could include memorabilia from top rugby league and soccer players such as Andrew Johns, Paul Harragon, Clive Churchill, Craig Johnston, Ray Baartz and Cheryl Salisbury.

Other high-profile sports stars include motorcyclist Casey Stoner, surfer Mark Richards and Olympic gold-medal winning sailors Nathan Outteridge and Iain Jensen.

Mr Quayle said the $81million western grandstand, completed last April, would be a good place for such a museum.

‘‘It’s a magnificent stand that would be suited ideally to a proper museum,’’ he said.

He said the National Sports Museum at the MCG and the Bradman Museum at Bowral were good examples of sporting museums.

‘‘History is playing an increasingly important part in sport,’’ Mr Quayle said.

‘‘The younger generation are really starting to acknowledge the history of sport.’’
See your ad here

The Hunter Region Sporting Hall of Fame already exists, with about 300 inductees and memorabilia at Newcastle Museum in Honeysuckle.

Hall of Fame committee chairman Ken Clifford said having a museum at the stadium was a ‘‘great idea’’. ‘‘The more we can do to promote the efforts of people in the hall of fame the better,’’ Mr Clifford said.

Mr Clifford said the idea of having a sporting museum at the stadium ‘‘had been mentioned a number of times’’.

‘‘We don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so it would simply be a matter of people in charge of the stadium working it out with us,’’ he said.

www.theherald.com.au/story/1216600/poll-stadium-touted-for-sporting-museum/?cs=303

How's about putting some seats or some concrete over those hills before you go about building a museum. This is the same government that sacked the Hunter venues board & transferred all power to Sydney for a measly $3m overrun on what an $80m grand stand, the same government that can find $1.6b for a new convention centre but needs federal funding to sort a rail line worth a grand total of $220m, will never happen.

Pico
04-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Jets' James Brown ready for re-launch
By CRAIG KERRY
Jan. 3, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/preview/c1200x678/storypad-5kfsp4NEeEvSvAN3kC8tUn/9dee02a4-ddd0-4549-ab48-c2b7320dea99.jpg
James Brown at training. Picture: Simone De Peak

FIT-again attacking midfielder James Brown believes he paid the price for pushing too hard to get back quickly after ankle surgery but is now focused on making 2013 a fresh start to his career in Newcastle.
See your ad here

Brown was named yesterday in an extended 22-man squad for the round-15 match against second-placed Adelaide tomorrow at Hunter Stadium.

The game is likely to be the third for Brown in the Jets' first team since being dropped to youth league and having a cortisone injection in his troublesome ankle.

He played only three minutes off the bench last Friday against Victory then 22 against the Heart on Monday in the Jets' losing double-header in Melbourne.

Before that, he had strung together six starts in the A-League after his recovery from surgery but failed to produce the form that made him one of the hottest properties in the competition while at Gold Coast in 2011-12.

The 22-year-old said lingering pain in his ankle had contributed to his below-par performances and he had felt the pressure of expectation.

"I don't like to make excuses, but the ankle hasn't helped my cause," he said. "It's hurt my game and my confidence a little, not being able to move how I like out there."

However, he said the pain had all but disappeared since an injection two weeks ago and he was keen to put his best foot forward.

"It feels a lot better now. It's settled right down," he said. "Hopefully I'm getting back to full fitness in the next couple of weeks. We'll see how it goes.

"I feel a lot freer out there and I feel a lot fitter, too."

He said he had worked hard to get back after the surgery and "felt it was the right time to come back, but looking back now I think it was a little too soon".

Keen to put the frustrating start to his time in Newcastle behind him, Brown was looking at the new year as a chance to start again.

"It's almost halfway through the season and I haven't really had much game time and I haven't scored any goals," he said. "The way I see it, I haven't been doing my job, the one I was brought down here to do.

"But it's a new year, the body feels pretty good, so I just want to start fresh and see how I go."

Despite the losses in Melbourne, Brown said the eighth-placed Jets had shown they were close to turning around their fortunes.
See your ad here

"We didn't do too badly, the kind of football we played in Melbourne," he said. "Obviously the results didn't go our way, but there was some confidence there for us. If we can tighten up at the back, it will help a lot because we always seem to get a couple of goals."

Captain Jobe Wheelhouse, returning from a knee injury, and defender Dominik Ritter, who missed the Heart game due to hamstring stiffness, were named in the squad.

Newcastle-bred Adelaide defender Nigel Boogaard will miss the game with a minor hamstring strain.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1216251/jets-james-brown-ready-for-re-launch/?cs=306

Don't think I have seen Brown play a game where his movement has looked comfortable.

GazFish35
04-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Newcastle-bred Adelaide defender Nigel Boogaard will miss the game with a minor hamstring strain.

Meaning the jets players calves and ankles are safe for another week.

cobra23
04-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Don't think I have seen Brown play a game where his movement has looked comfortable.

To be honest, i think we will start to really see the best of brown..
The bloke was very sharp in preseason then got that injury and went down hill from there.
put it this way... we have seen him at his lowest,he can only get better.

Guerny
04-01-2013, 09:14 AM
We definitely have an emphasis on giving young players experience, the sort that will stand them and us in good stead down the line...

Here we go... GVE pre-emptively setting up his excuses for missing the finals this season.

goaliepersempre
07-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Jets draw nil-all with Adelaide
James Gardiner
Newcastle Jets 0 Adelaide United 0
THE Newcastle Jets recorded their first clean sheet in 10 months but it was not enough to secure a much-needed upset win over A-League high flyers Adelaide United at Hunter Stadium.
The home side overcame the loss of marquee striker Emile Heskey to a quadriceps injury at half time to dominate the clash.
"It was not a monkey off our back it was a gorilla," said Jets coach Gary van Egmond.
"It was hanging over us. It is a good feeling to be rid of it.
"It's great for the players to get some real confidence from keeping that clean sheet and creating a number of chances."
However, they were unable to come up with a winner, with Ryan Griffiths, Adam Taggart and James Virgili all denied by Reds keeper Eugene Galekovic.
At the other end, Adelaide danger men Dario Vidosic, Bruce Djite and Iain Ramsay were left frustrated by a resolute Jets defence.
It was the first time Sam Gallaway, Taylor Regan, Connor Chapman and Craig Goodwin had played as a back four.
The average age of the defenders was nearly 21 and they had played a combined 69 games between them.
But apart from a couple of half chances early, the Reds were unable to break them down.
Adelaide were the last team the Jets held to nil, in a 1-0 victory at Hunter Stadium in round 23 last season.
The draw ended a two-game losing streak for the Jets and moved them to 17 points.
Adelaide remain second on 29 points.
The crowd of 10,721 was the lowest of the season but they were treated to an open, entertaining clash despite the lack of goals.Desperate to end a 18-game gap since the last clean sheet, Jets coach van Egmond overhauled the backline again. Taylor Regan was promoted for his third start of the campaign alongside Connor Chapman in the centre of defence.
Craig Goodwin dropped from midfield to cover for Scott Neville, who succumbed to a hamstring strain.
James Brown also started in the other change from the 2-1 loss to Melbourne Heart.
Antony Golec replaced Nigel Boogaard (hamstring) in the only alteration from the Adelaide outfit which pumped Sydney FC 3-0.
The visitors came out flying.
Vidosic forced a reflex save from Mark Birighitti in the fifth minute and Bruce Djite blasted into the side netting a minute later.
With the temperature nudging 30 degrees earlier in the day, the teams had a scheduled drinks break at the mid-point of the half.
At that stage, Adelaide had 56 per cent of possession, led the corner count 4-0 and had six attempts on goal to the Jets one.
Whatever was in the water, it worked for the Jets.
"The first 20 minutes we were a bit too strung out and pressed a little too high at times," said van Egmond.
"Then all of a sudden we started to understand what the structure needed to be."
Adelaide coach John Kosmina noticed a change too.
"We were dominant before that. About the 30th minute for some reason it was like the curtain came down," he said.
Ryan Griffiths, who switched flanks with James Virgili, had a shot finger-tipped over the bar by Eugene Galekovic on the half hour.
From there it was all the Jets.
Virgili cut the Reds to shreds down the left, combining with Emile Heskey and Brown.
All that was missing was a goal.
Griffiths hit a half-volley which was blocked by Galekovic. The rebound fell to Brown but he could not get enough on his reboud and it was cleared off the line.
Griffiths couldn't climb high enough to get his head to Ruben Zadkovich's cross with Galekovic caught in no-mans land and Brown skied another shot over the bar in stoppage time.
Jets marquee Emile Heskey didn't return after the break due to a quadriceps injury and was replaced by Adam Taggart.
"He has a grade one strain in his quad. We will assess that when he is cool and see what the medicos say," van Egmond said after the game.
Heskey is the Jets leading goalscorer with seven and is second to Ruben Zadkovich in minutes played.
But the change did little to stem momentum.

See your ad hereGriffiths had a shot tipped around the right left post and then sent a header over the bar.
Taggart forced another desperate save from Galekovic in the 57th minute.
With one former premier league star on the sideline, van Egmond introduced another in Michael Bridges with 28 minutes remaining.
The veteran playmaker provided some deft touches but not a goal in his biggest contribution of the season.

Report of game by herald, seriously James do you have any idea of football.....

The crowd of 10,721 was the lowest of the season but they were treated to an open, entertaining clash despite the lack of goals.

hauss
08-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Report of game by herald, seriously James do you have any idea of football.....

The crowd of 10,721 was the lowest of the season but they were treated to an open, entertaining clash despite the lack of goals.

He may be stretching it a little bit but it was better than a lot of the dross we've been served up so far. There were elements to the game that I would actually class as entertainment.

The runs that Goodwin and Virgilli made were exciting and the footwork that Bridges demonstrated was also worth watching. Reegan put in some good cross field passes as well.

I think the last 5 minutes of the first half and most of the second half showed that we can actually play a bit of football when we don't have someone in the attacking midfield slowing everything down. We need someone in there who can play the ball quickly, take players on and offer something different to the defensive midfielders. Bernardo or Bridges seem the obvious choices and until Bernardo rips the youth league apart I'd be happy to see Bridges fill the role.

Hopefully that game sets a foundation for the rest of the season.

howardyou
08-01-2013, 11:44 AM
I was at a party so i couldn't attend, but ended up at the bar watching the whole game on TV. It was quite an entertaining match from that perspective.

Bon
08-01-2013, 11:46 AM
I only saw the first 20 mins at the Beaches before being dragged off to the wedding reception.. So I'm still waiting on a replay to be put up.. *cough cough* :gent:

OmeletteDuFromage
08-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Fox Sports saying Zadkovich injured in training today. Getting scans soon.

Grimario
08-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Fox Sports saying Zadkovich injured in training today. Getting scans soon.

It was in the Rocky Visconte article, closing lines.

Meanwhile Newcastle have been rocked by a knee injury to Ruben Zadkovich, with the club saying the in-form midfielder will see a doctor today to ascertain its seriousness.

Zadkovich sustained the injury at training

namwob99
08-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Jobe in, Zad out?

Thomas477
08-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Roar have signed a current Socceroo. However, it's one of the two people most whinge about.

Jade North has signed with them for three and a half years.

Sauce: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/brisbaneroar/news-display/Brisbane-secure-Qantas-Socceroo/57625

lquiquer
08-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Roar have signed a current Socceroo. However, it's one of the two people most whinge about.

Jade North has signed with them for three and a half years.

Sauce: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/brisbaneroar/news-display/Brisbane-secure-Qantas-Socceroo/57625

Did we even try to get him back?

Thomas477
08-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Did we even try to get him back?

God I hope not. Would be an embarassment if we went for him and not Griff.

And really we already have cover as centre back:
Chapman
Regz
Tarago
Mitchell
Ritter
Neville
Jobe
Heskey

The Dunster
08-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Zads is so keen to re-sign with the Jets that he's injured himself to impress Jets management.

You can't get more newy than that.

seldom
09-01-2013, 01:26 AM
wtf...we training on a minefield or sumfin

Pico
09-01-2013, 06:48 AM
Some good news, some bad news....

Midfield hardman Erik Paartalu's exit is also imminent, possibly before the Roar's clash against the Jets at Hunter Stadium this weekend.

Paartalu, who has started in 84 consecutive A-League and AFC Champions League matches since joining the Roar in 2010, is set to accept a lucrative offer from a Chinese Super League club .

The Roar will also lose winger Nick Fitzgerald - almost certainly to Central Coast Mariners - at the end of the season.

But Brisbane's Australian under-20 fullback Corey Brown seems set to have his fulltime youth team deal upgraded to an A-League contract after deciding against a move to the Jets.

The Roar also have a visa spot available following last month's departure of Japanese defender Yuji Takahashi.

weston
09-01-2013, 07:45 AM
So Corey Brown hasn't signed with the jets? Sounds someone let that out a little prematurely.

What this kid tear us a new ass hole.

Pico
09-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Should your club hire an Asian coach?
Tuesday, 8 January 2013 7:33 AM

On New Year’s Day, the Central Coast Mariners learned that Kashiwa Reysol would join them in an already tough AFC Champions League group after winning Japan’s famous Emperor’s Cup.

The team from northern Chiba beat relegated Gamba Osaka 1-0 in front of a packed house at Tokyo’s National Stadium courtesy of a solitary goal from defender Hirofumi Watanabe.

One interested spectator was surely Akira Nishino – a man who for four years coached Kashiwa Reysol before turning his attention towards transforming Gamba Osaka into one of the most successful clubs in Asia.

Nishino was at the helm when Gamba thumped Adelaide United in the 2008 ACL final but decided to step down as coach in Osaka at the start of 2012 after a decade in charge.

He was undoubtedly Gamba’s most successful coach, leading the Osakans to their first and only J. League title in 2005 and a runners-up place five years later, as well as two Emperor’s Cups along with that coveted Asian title.

And he did it playing some of the most attractive football ever seen in Japan, with Nishino’s sides renowned for consistently outscoring their opponents thanks to their free-flowing attacking football.

Indeed, when the subject of who should coach the Japanese national team came up, Nishino’s name was always one of the first mentioned in Japan’s vociferous sports press.

Gamba clearly struggled without their long-time mentor and finished the 2012 campaign in 17th place, dropping into the second division for the first time in their history as a result.

It was also a disappointing year for Nishino.

Appointed coach of Gamba’s neighbours Vissel Kobe midway through the season, the 57-year-old was unceremoniously sacked with four games still to play as Kobe fought desperately to avoid relegation.

They failed to do so, but it was a rare blot on Nishino’s otherwise spotless managerial copybook.

And it begs the question that if an A-League club can sign a player of Shinji Ono’s calibre as its marquee, why not sign a marquee Japanese coach like Nishino as well?

He clearly has the credentials, speaks a reasonable level of English and would no doubt relish the challenge of pitting his wits against Australia’s best coaches.

All it would take is a little thinking outside the box for an Australian club to suddenly have one of the most knowledgeable coaches in Asia calling the shots.

Ironically it’s the much-maligned Takeshi Okada leading the way when it comes to export Japanese coaches.

The bespectacled tactician came in for fierce criticism after Japan limped through qualification to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, only for Okada to steer the Samurai Blue to a shock second round appearance.

And just like Nishino’s famed Gamba side, Okada had his Japanese team playing slick passing football built around a side of fleet-footed attacking talent.

Okada is now in charge at Chinese Super League outfit Hangzhou Greentown, who finished the last Chinese campaign in a mid-table position.

The pressure is on Okada to get Hangzhou challenging for an ACL place this season as he’s at the vanguard of Japanese coaches testing their skills overseas.

And if the quality of Western Sydney Wanderers star Ono is any indication, there’s plenty the A-League can learn from the Japanese game.

It could do worse than try to learn it from Akira Nishino, who will no doubt keep a close eye on one of his former clubs Kashiwa when they take on the Mariners in Group H of the 2013 ACL.

With a little bit of forward thinking, one day Nishino could keep a close eye on the A-League as well.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/tuckerman-opinion-display/Should-your-club-hire-an-Asian-coach/57509

Would be interesting to see how some Asian coaches would go trying to adapt to our league and standard of players but also the use of a salary cap.

Thomas477
09-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Rogic to Celtic.

CCM say trial only.
Australian says an offer has been made for a transfer.

pv4
09-01-2013, 11:30 AM
marrone (my fave rb of the comp) to shanghai. just missed out on playing with griff.

MFKS
09-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Bet the Chinese will be chuffed

Lord Griffo leaves and expecting something similar from Australia and they end up with Marrone

Pico
09-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Roar in as Victory cuts Davies
9 January 2013-SBS

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/resize/file/9077_davies.jpg/id/92286/w/310/h/174

Brisbane Roar is poised to swoop for the services of teenage attacker Julius Davies after he was released by Melbourne Victory on Wednesday.

Davies, 18, is set to become Roar's second signing this week after the club confirmed the capture of Socceroos defender Jade North on Tuesday.

Liberian-born former Bayern Munich junior Davies, who first got noticed playing in Perth, has failed to fit into the mould demanded by Victory boss Ange Postecoglou and Roar coach Mike Mulvey is ready to offer him a fresh start.

“Julius is a talented young player who unfortunately ran into some stiff competition for places here at Melbourne Victory,” Postecoglou said.

“While still only 18, he obviously wants to be playing first team football and he’s probably found himself further down the pecking order than he’d have liked.

“We wish him all the best in his future endeavours.”

It’s believed Davies, who played 120 minutes of A-League football under Jim Magilton at Victory last season, will ink a multi-year deal at Suncorp Stadium where he was headed for talks on Wednesday.

An Australia U-17 international, Davies's style and ability to take on players earned him his chance at Victory, where he spent nearly 12 months, but it didn’t win favour with Postecoglou and he has not played any part this season.

“‘It was a great experience and I am really glad I had the opportunity with Melbourne Victory even though it did not work out as I had hoped,” Davies said.

“I want to thank all my team-mates who have been great to me during my time here in Melbourne.

“I also wish to thank everyone at the Melbourne Victory Football Club for their support and I look forward to the next challenge in my career.”

With the exit of winger Rocky Visconte and North's signing, Mulvey’s reshaping of Roar is gathering pace with the likely arrival of Davies.

Seventh-placed Roar faces eight-placed Newcastle Jets at Hunter Stadium on Saturday.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1135960/Roar-in-as-Victory-cuts-Davies

Surprised GVE has not tried to sign the bloke, in the right age group and a former U17 player, could help the club fill that #10 role that ribs seems to have been dumped from.

Bon
09-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Surprised GVE has not tried to sign the bloke, in the right age group and a former U17 player, could help the club fill that #10 role that ribs seems to have been dumped from.

The Jets? Signing someone or getting rid of dead-weight in a transfer window?
If only.

Pico
09-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Asian Cup drive gathers momentum
9 January 2013-SBS: Philip Micallef

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/resize/file/6611_ono.jpg/id/92252/w/310/h/174
Loval hero ... Shinji Ono may be recruited to promote the Asian Cup (Getty)

Australia will shortly mount a charm offensive across Asia designed to maximise awareness of the 2015 AFC Asian Cup, local organisers said.

Two years to the day before the Socceroos begin their Asian Cup campaign in the opening match in Melbourne, the local organising committee revealed a grand plan to promote the tournament and Australia to a whole continent.

The organising committee could also invite a group of personalities like Western Sydney Wanderers' Japanese star Shinji Ono and other high-profile sportspeople to act as “ambassadors” for the event.

The Asian Cup will be held from 9 to 31 January with the final scheduled for ANZ Stadium in Sydney.

”Our strategy for the Asian Cup can be divided into three distinct stages,” local organising committee chief executive Michael Brown said.

”Last year was all about meeting people like governments and communities, setting the foundations and basically 'saying hello'.

”We tried to establish our identity domestically and internationally and I think we've done that.

”This year will be about promoting the event across Asia and engaging the continent.

”This is when we will build our relationships with Asia and basically ask them 'now that we have met you, what are we going to do together'.

”We want to assure them that their trust in Australia to hold the continent's biggest football tournament won't be misplaced.

”We will be working around important football matches in Asia involving Australia and with the help of tourism, trade and business leaders we will work together for the benefit of one and all.

”Then in 2014 we will get down to the business of making it all happen – selling match tickets, travel packages and so on.

”We are in the final stages of nominating the venues and when that is done we will be able to set a match schedule.”

The tournament will be played at five venues in four cities.

Brown was reluctant to reveal which of the eight venues that are on the shortlist will be retained because negotiations are not yet finalised.

The chosen stadia are likely to be ANZ Stadium and Allianz Stadium in Sydney, Ettihad or AAMI Park in Melbourne, Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane and Canberra Stadium.

The organising committee is working with local football federations and governments to identify a range of training facilities across the participating states.

These could include regional locations like the Gold Coast, the Hunter or Ballarat.

The tournament venues and schedule will be ratified by the AFC in March.

The qualified teams won't be known until March 2014 but it is hoped that high-profile sporting identities or community leaders in Australia who exert a degree of influence among their compatriots be engaged to help promote the event.

”Look at Alessandro Del Piero,” Brown explained.

”He talks to thousands of his fans every day via the social media.

”Such popular people as Ono, who has many followers, could do wonders in terms of drawing attention to the Asian Cup.”

The qualifying phase will kick off on February 6.

Sixteen teams will be engaged in four round-robins with the top two in each group and the best third-placed team to make the trip to Australia.

Holder Japan, host Australia, Korea Republic, Korea DPR and the winner of the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup will make up the 16-team event.

The competition is being jointly funded to the tune of $61 million by Federal Government and state governments.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/asian-cup/news/1135844/Asian-Cup-drive-gathers-momentum

Strange that Canberra with a poor stadium gets games but Newcastle misses out, guess we'll have to settle for being a training base, if we even get that. When is the NNSW training venue at spears point going to be completed, seems like the ideal place, unless HSG go and build something with government funding for both the jets and knights but I can't see that happening any time soon.

MFKS
09-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Actually pretty glad that we in Newy miss out on this type of thing.

Adds to the chip on shoulder mentality about us being treated like a second class citizen by the rest of this state and country.

Independence for the Hunter

namwob99
09-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Disgrace, expect 10 people and a stray dog to turn up in Canberra.

GazFish35
09-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Strange that Canberra with a poor stadium gets games but Newcastle misses out.

might be an "all seater" thing.

selassie
09-01-2013, 12:41 PM
think of all the gov funding that is needed to host this tourney. i am sure canberra would like a few games.

Thomas477
09-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Strange that Canberra with a poor stadium gets games but Newcastle misses out, guess we'll have to settle for being a training base, if we even get that. When is the NNSW training venue at spears point going to be completed, seems like the ideal place, unless HSG go and build something with government funding for both the jets and knights but I can't see that happening any time soon.

Agreed. Don't see why the 25,000 seat stadium gets it while the 33,000 stadium where an A-League club plays doesnt.

Mind you, given the state of the pitch atm at Hunter Stadium, its very probable the FFA doesnt want to be embarassed by the state of the pitch.

goaliepersempre
09-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Well the AFC regulations says it needs to be all seated... as per stadium regulations.. So we are technically lucky we could play champo's games at hunter... Seriously should but in seats either end of the ground.. With one end made of the special terrace seats that are availiable. Then we can move behind the goal :) If the two ends where a big bigger and seated the stadium would be very nice.. as per some designs shown a few years back.

cobra23
09-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Good NEWS!!!!
Zadmans Injury not serious,
Reported on radio scans cleared of any damage.

Pico
09-01-2013, 01:09 PM
might be an "all seater" thing.

Yeah that would make sense but I'm sure I remember the proposal for temp seating to be used over the hills.

The same stuff that they used to make NIB stadium bigger, have seen it used over in the US to build an entire temporary stadium whilst a new one was being built.

Lets be honest with the crowds that will most likely be expected you could just rope off the hills and use some sort of advertising cover, similar to the bay covers overseas and you'd still have plenty of seats available.

Ideally the state government should be looking at using this to get some fed funds to help pay to convert the ends for one of the new designated state stadiums from their master plan. You wouldn't want it any bigger, 33k is plenty for Newcastle. All that's needed is to replace it with seats. Would be great if they opted for kombi seats for the south end to help push up capacity for events when needed.

Thomas477
09-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Okay, now it's ridiculous. Within the past 2 days or so:

Viconte Roar to free, then free to WSW
North to Roar
Davis. MV to free, then free to Roar
Franjic. MV to free

Yet we are still stuck with Jesic.

goaliepersempre
09-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Okay, now it's ridiculous. Within the past 2 days or so:

Viconte Roar to free, then free to WSW
North to Roar
Davis. MV to free, then free to Roar
Franjic. MV to free

Yet we are still stuck with Jesic.

will start this weekend :P

Thomas477
09-01-2013, 03:59 PM
will start this weekend :P

Seriously hope you are taking the piss.

Also, another point, the A-League transfer window hasn't even opened yet, but these transfers are going on anyway.

goaliepersempre
09-01-2013, 04:02 PM

Also, another point, the A-League transfer window hasn't even opened yet, but these transfers are going on anyway.

rest assured I am, but you never no........ :wacko:

Thomas477
09-01-2013, 04:12 PM
rest assured I am, but you never no........ :wacko:

Actually a possibility if Ritter is still injured. Jesic could start in behind Heskey/Taggart.

Newieutd
10-01-2013, 09:45 AM

there have been no transfers

Thomas477
10-01-2013, 09:57 AM
there have been no transfers

Just teams releasing players on a free transfer so they can join other clubs.

I think it's making a mockery of the transfer window tbh.

Pico
11-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Just teams releasing players on a free transfer so they can join other clubs.

I think it's making a mockery of the transfer window tbh.

Can't see how that's happening, the players still have to wait until the transfer window opens before they are eligible to play any games for their new club, so they can be cut January 1st or on January 13th, the result is the same, they can't play until after the 14th.

SFC is just bitching because they gave Griffo a contract from Jan 1, but the rules clearly state you can't transfer a player in until Jan 14th, so they have had to pay the bloke for 2 weeks for training.

Pico
11-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Teen striker Anthony Proia on outer as Roar bring in African youngster Julius Davies

Marco Monteverde
The Courier-Mail
January 11, 2013 12:00AM

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2013/01/11/1226551/433198-proia-and-davies.gif

Out of favour Anthony Proia, 18, may have to walk away from Brisbane Roar after the club brought in rival striker Julius Davies (inset). Pictures: Stuart Quinn Source: The Courier-Mail

TEENAGE striker Anthony Proia has been all but told he has no future in Brisbane despite being under contract with the club until the end of the 2013-14 season.

Proia, 18, was brought to Brisbane by former coach Ange Postecoglou in February last year and was earmarked as a huge part of the club's future but has not seen so much as a minute of A-League action.

"It's not just about today, it's about tomorrow," Postecoglou said at the time.

After Postecoglou's move to Melbourne Victory less than three months later, Proia has had little support from the club's coaching staff.

It is understood Postecoglou's successor Rado Vidosic was not as big a fan of Proia's talents, and the man who deposed the beleaguered Vidosic last month, Mike Mulvey, seems to have a similar opinion of the Sydney product.

"If he can find another club, we won't be standing in his way," Mulvey said last night. "We had a chat and he's a little bit homesick as well."

An anxious Proia discussed his future with Mulvey and Roar general manager Sean Dobson after yesterday's training session.

The out-of-favour forward saw the writing on the wall at the Roar after the club's decision to add attacking weapon Julius Davies to their roster on Wednesday.

Surplus to requirements at Melbourne Victory, Davies was unveiled as a Brisbane player less than 24 hours after the club announced the signing of Socceroos defender Jade North from Japanese club Consadole Sappora, with both players managed by Buddy Farah.

The signing of Davies is understood to have shocked some Roar players, particularly after the club on Tuesday allowed attacking midfielder Rocky Visconte to join Western Sydney Wanderers.

Visconte's departure has also had an effect on Proia, as the pair are good friends.

Mulvey said the Roar would honour Proia's contract if the former Australian Institute of Sport marksman could not find a new club.

While Proia seemingly has some long-term security if he cannot secure a deal elsewhere, Luke Brattan, James Meyer and George Lambadaridis are coming off contract and are playing for their futures.

"There's a few of them that have been told ... 'you've got a great opportunity, make sure you grab it with both hands'," Dobson said.

With Erik Paartalu still waiting for his move to a Chinese Super League club to be finalised, there is a good chance the midfielder will line up for the Roar against Newcastle Jets at Hunter Stadium tomorrow night.

As reported by The Courier-Mail on Monday, the Jets lost out in their bid to snare Roar youth team skipper Corey Brown, despite the Australian under-20 fullback having initially agreed to terms with Newcastle.

The Roar yesterday announced that Brown had signed a two-year senior deal to stay in Brisbane.

Some more youth for GVE to sign for next season.

Jeterpool
11-01-2013, 07:41 AM
I'd take Meyer.

It'd stop him scoring against us at least.

belchardo
11-01-2013, 10:31 AM
I'd take Meyer.

It'd stop him scoring against us at least.

he could still score own goals.

Jeterpool
11-01-2013, 11:03 AM
he could still score own goals.

Well played

MFKS
11-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Can't see how that's happening, the players still have to wait until the transfer window opens before they are eligible to play any games for their new club, so they can be cut January 1st or on January 13th, the result is the same, they can't play until after the 14th.

SFC is just bitching because they gave Griffo a contract from Jan 1, but the rules clearly state you can't transfer a player in until Jan 14th, so they have had to pay the bloke for 2 weeks for training.

Sydney are right to moan in my opinion. Lord Griffos contract was up at Shanghai at the end of 2012. Smurfs sign him and as far as I can tell he can't play on January 1st like he could anywhere else in the world but has to wait until January 14th thanks to the FFA having a transfer window outside of the rest of the world.

Apparently this has been done to protect Aussie Clubs from Overseas poaching?? Other than the Gypos who else is having issues with this???

In the meantime Lord Griffo has to train and twiddle his thumbs. The whole thing is a farce when the rules have been enacted to protect clubs from exploitation from foreign clubs yet players who will bring something to the league are being ****ed over and made to wait

weston
11-01-2013, 12:12 PM
I don't understand it.... the guy's contact has finished, therefore he is a free agent. Is there a registration window or something? I don't fully understand why he can't play?

Can a cub sign a free agent mid season (outside the tansfer window) and play him straight away or can this not be done? I understand if he is being bought from another club.

MFKS
11-01-2013, 12:15 PM
I don't understand it.... the guy's contact has finished, therefore he is a free agent. Is there a registration window or something? I don't fully understand why he can't play?

Can a cub sign a free agent mid season (outside the tansfer window) and play him straight away or can this not be done? I understand if he is being bought from another club.

Thats precisely right.

If Harry Kewell decided to return to the EPL as a free agent he would be able to play straight away at anytime of the year.

If he returned to Australia as some sort of local legend the FFA would move heaven and earth to bend whatever rules to get him on the park if rules forbade him from playing.

Lord Griffo is just being picked on

Bon
11-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Lord Griffo is just being picked on

Who is this person you speak of? He is a myth.. A sham.. A false idol..

Pico
11-01-2013, 01:09 PM
So SFC sign a bloke in December for January, then whinge about him not being able to play or officially transfer into the club until the 14th due to the window that was established before the season started in October.

Its not like this rule magically came out of nowhere to stop Griffo and SFC, its been in place for a while now, if SFC were so worried why did they not raise the issue earlier, or was it the case that they simply paid no attention to the rules again, life must be hard now they don't have uncle frank making up the rules to suit them.

MFKS
11-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Who is this person you speak of? He is a myth.. BULLSHIT A sham.. BULLSHIT A false idol..BULLSHIT

Fixed for accuracy.

Bloke wasn't wanted by the ruling body at our club. Its not like we were in a bidding war for Lord Griffo's services and he turned his back on us. WE REFUSED TO MAKE THE EFFORT

Bloke is a hero and will be treated as such whenever he returns to Stade de Newy. Will even respect the legend when he scores against us. Scored winning goal in Grand Final. Carried our club on his back. Get the **** off his case

Will reevaluate stance if Lord Griffo charges towards the Jets active support giving it the big one though

Bon
11-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Fixed for accuracy.

Bloke wasn't wanted by the ruling body at our club. Its not like we were in a bidding war for Lord Griffo's services and he turned his back on us. WE REFUSED TO MAKE THE EFFORT

Bloke is a hero and will be treated as such whenever he returns to Stade de Newy. Will even respect the legend when he scores against us. Scored winning goal in Grand Final. Carried our club on his back. Get the **** off his case

Will reevaluate stance if Lord Griffo charges towards the Jets active support giving it the big one though

Hahahaha Gotta give it to you, I wish I had your true religious style head-in-the-sand approach to all this..
Would make being a Jets supporter a lot easier..

seldom
11-01-2013, 01:49 PM
I thought the griffo fapfest was over

Thomas477
11-01-2013, 04:08 PM
If they wanted Griff to play, its quite simple. Guest player contract until Jan 14, when he joins as a full time squad member.

Not that difficult, hell, you could even front load the gust contract and make the full time less.

My2BobsWorth
11-01-2013, 06:02 PM
I would be extremely concerned if Griffo didn't receive the same welcome as Hucho when he returns to the town that made him.

GazFish35
11-01-2013, 07:25 PM
I would be extremely concerned if Griffo didn't receive the same welcome as Hucho when he returns to the town that made him.

Our best ever player?

boz-monaut
11-01-2013, 07:29 PM
which town made Hutcho?

howardyou
11-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Fixed for accuracy.

I think he is a loser.

militiamon
11-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Haahahahaha, Ange :wub:

No Ange pity for pillaged Mariners

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00057905-leadimage.jpg

Melbourne Victory coach Ange Postecoglou says he has no sympathy for Central Coast Mariners, whose squad is set to be gutted in the January transfer window.

Postecoglou's side will host Central Coast in Launceston on Saturday as the Mariners reel from a succession of stories this week linking their players to moves abroad.

But Postecoglou believes interest in the likes of Tom Rogic, Mat Ryan and Bernie Ibini is a sign of Central Coast's good form, with Victory's coach 'bemused' at the sympathy being shown to the league-leading Mariners and their head coach, Graham Arnold.

"There are a lot of bleeding hearts out there feeling for a team that's top of the table and have been top of the table for quite a while, not just this year," Postecoglou said at Victory training on Friday.

"I don't know, everyone's got sympathy for them, I don't. :cool:

"They're doing a pretty good job, if they lose a couple of players, so be it.

"They've done that before and recovered."

Rogic is the only Central Coast player linked with a move abroad who will not be available for the trip to Tasmania.

The 20-year-old playmaker, who is still serving a suspension for the red card he received against Sydney FC, is on trial with Celtic, but Postecoglou still expects the Mariners to be 'a tough nut to crack'.

"This is a competitive, ruthless business we're in, so I don't feel sorry for anyone," Postecoglou said.

"I hope they do lose players, at the end of the day that's the nature of the game.

"We lost a player (Gui Finkler with a knee injury) last week ... but, you know, I haven't checked my mail but I haven't got any sympathy cards yet." :rof:

Postecoglou and Arnold's rivalry has developed over the past two seasons as Brisbane Roar and Central Coast battled for A-League supremacy.

While there is plenty of respect between the two, there is also some spice, with Arnold claiming last year winning the Premiers Plate had 'more value' than Brisbane's Grand Final triumph under Postecoglou.

But Postecoglou clearly rates Arnold's achievements with Central Coast.

"I've never seen so much crying over spilt milk over a team that's top of the table in my whole life," Postecoglou said.

"I tell you what I'd do if I was the Mariners.

"I'd bank the money, some of it, pay of our debts and the rest I'd pay Arnie and his coaching staff a big fat pay rise and tell them to keep doing what they're doing.

"They're going alright."

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/no-ange-pity-for-pillaged-mariners/57905

q-money
11-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Haahahahaha, Ange :wub:

ange, the people's hero

iirc this is in addition to another top drawer spray earlier in the year, man is a genius

Thomas477
11-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Our best ever player?

Who signed for another club in the same league. Even worse, signed for one of our two rival clubs (WSW doesn't count).

Despite what he's done for us, the fact remains he is a former captain who has signed for a rival club. Thus IMO he should not be praised for doing so, but booed and jeered as would any other player who signed for a derby rival.

GazFish35
11-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Not planning on praising him for signing for Sydney.
Rather for the good times and memories he's provided by being the most prolific goal scorer we've ever had.

Promote what you love instead of bashing what of hate.... And all that shit.

q-money
11-01-2013, 10:35 PM
have a cry mate, the bloke is a deadset champ, most of the best times in your life wouldn't have happened without griff

Buddha
11-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Emile Heskey played for Brum but I'd still suck his dick. No matter what he is a legend, an icon and a sexual god.

northern_swan
11-01-2013, 10:49 PM
The blokes got form...
Sooked about the Leeds managers criticism of him
Sack whacked a referee
Sooked and refused to train for us
Elbowed an opponent
Rude gestures towards opposition fans
Signed with Beijings rivals
Sooked about missing out on the World Cup squad

q-money
11-01-2013, 10:57 PM
some of you lot would deadset boo santa claus

GazFish35
The blokes got form...
Sack whacked a referee
Elbowed an opponent
Leeds manager was wrong
Linesman not ref.
Gve was gaffer Con was owner. He stood up against them.
Opponent kicked the fucj out him first. (I'm thinking you mean Karl Dodd)
Middle finger salute.... No Kung fu cantona.
In rvp class, good on him.
I did too. I really wanted to go. FFS Archie Thompson and Michael beachamp went to a world cup.

All your points are open to spinning them anyway you want.
You'll get no argument from me he's an egotistical bloke. What striker isn't?

Facts are facts though. He's our best goal scorer ever. Scored screamers and gave us many great moments as jets fans.

plague
The blokes got form...
Sack whacked a referee
Elbowed an opponent
Scored the winner in the grand final.
Brought peace to the Middle East.
Saved a puppy from drowning.
Clean bowled Gatting with his first ball in England.
Shagged everyone who needed a good shagging.

q-money
11-01-2013, 10:59 PM
the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

plague
11-01-2013, 11:00 PM

Oh and I went to the World Cup, just wasn't the same without the Griff though.
Everyone was asking after him.

northern_swan
11-01-2013, 11:09 PM
In May 2010, after not making the 31 man provisional squad for the 2010 Fifa World Cup, he made the following comments about Pim Verbeek:
There was no phone call, not even a text. Not once did he come and watch a game. He made the effort to watch the third division in England or third division [in] Italy, and sometimes they [the Australian players] were not even on the bench. It really pisses me off when he said we have better strikers than Joel Griffiths, how the f--- would he know? He's never seen me for two years and when he did I was [A-League] MVP and golden boot.

One way to nail your international door firmly shut...

Buddha
11-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Scored the winner in the grand final.
Brought peace to the Middle East.
Saved a puppy from drowning.
Clean bowled Gatting with his first ball in England.
Shagged everyone who needed a good shagging.
Best one yet haha.
You are fighting a losing battle here Northo, just like when a certain Austrian leader tried to invade Russia, it didn't end well

Stop looking at me swan!

GazFish35
11-01-2013, 11:23 PM
One way to nail your international door firmly shut...

I think it's widely accepted that verbeek was a cock.

hawk
11-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Stop looking at me swan!

:grin:

seldom
12-01-2013, 01:13 AM
some of you lot would deadset boo santa claus

he has fvcked up several times

snake
12-01-2013, 08:45 AM
best bloke.

single-handedly carried the worst team ever to win a grand final.

who givrs a **** what he did at leeds or beijing or whar he said to the strayan coach (international football is shit anyway). the bloke did it for us, and he's the best we've ever had.

bloke wanted to come back, but middleby is too much of a shit **** to get the boy home. aim your hate at that **** (and deans and gve)

Rocky
12-01-2013, 10:34 AM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1136242/In-demand-Zadkovich-courts-interest
The future of Ruben Zadkovich will be discussed this week as clubs, including Western Sydney Wanderers, show an interest in the in-form Newcastle Jets midfielder.

Zadkovich cleared of serious injury

Wanderers squad coming together

Zadkovich, who is having a strong season and has recently been a stand-in captain while Jobe Wheelhouse was out injured, is off contract at the end of the season with A-League sides and some from abroad circling.

Buddy Farah, Zakovich's manager, told The World Game his client was enjoying his time at the Jets but had to consider every offer that came his way.

"At this stage, Ruben will be looking at all of his options," Farah said. "He's coming off contract as one of the hottest players on the market.

"He will give Newcastle first priority to deal with him but if they can't come to the party he will have to consider what else is available.

"I'll be at Newcastle for the Roar game and I've got a meeting with the officials, including (chief executive) Robbie Middleby, there.

"We'll just have a chat during the game. I'll see what they've got on their minds and I'll let them know what we've got on our minds."

Zadkovich, 26, has been one of Newcastle's best this campaign and has become a mainstay as Jets coach Gary van Egmond has been forced to chop and change in the search of a winning formation.

"The Jets have got to understand that Ruben has been one of their better players this year and that he has attracted interest accordingly," Farah said.

"It's not just from the A-League, but from overseas as well.

"Ruben is a leader. He gives his all every week and is a respectable guy.

"The Jets have got to decide where he ranks as a priority. He is a professional footballer and he knows his value.

"Ruben likes it there but if they don't come to the party and meet his expectations then it's possible he could go somewhere else."

Meanwhile, Wanderers executive chairman Lyall Gorman told The World Game that while the club was interested in Zadkovich as a possible addition to the squad for next season, there was no guarantee it would make an offer.

That would depend on how the club's roster looked after its player retention process was completed.

"He is a talented player, but whether we make an offer or not will depend on who re-signs here and.... whether we need to add a right-side player. It will become clearer in a little while," Gorman said.

Five Wanderers players - Aaron Mooy, Mark Bridge, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, Reece Caira and Kwabena Appiah-Kubi - began this season on two-year contracts. Six other players - Shannon Cole, Adam D'apuzzo, Michael Beauchamp, Ante Covic, Mateo Poljak and Jerome Polenz - have since been re-signed for next season.

The club has also this week signed Rocky Visconte in on a short-term deal until the end of this season, with the possibility he could have his deal extended into next season depending on form.

Gorman, Wanderers coach Tony Popovic and the rest of the club's retention committee met on Thursday and would begin having contract discussions with another group of existing Wanderers players next week.

That group will include marquee player Shinji Ono. The Japanese star has an option for a second season, which Gorman described as "an option for us to discuss new terms with him".

Asked if he was confident Ono would be back on deck for the 2013-2014 season, Gorman replied: "Ideally, we will end up in a position where we can agree to terms, but it's not for me to try to predict what may or may not happen.

"All I can say is that we know Shinji is very happy at the club and we're very happy with him."

Gorman said the next group of existing players were no less a priority than the six who have been re-signed.

"It's just the way it has worked out," he said. "Ono is in the second group, and he obviously wouldn't be a lesser priority.

"We're just going through the list in stages, and after the crowded schedule of games during the holiday period we have identified next week as the time to begin the next stage."

Jets CEO Middleby did not immediately return TWG phone call.

Fuxking. Yay.

Tommyjet
12-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Definitely worth keeping but not on silly money, surely this 'interest from overseas' line will push up his value and like with brockie gve and middleby will decide that raiding the ais is a better option.
Ideally I'd like to keep him and buy a decent foreign or experienced Aussie dm thus freeing up zadkovich and wheelhouse next season.

plague
12-01-2013, 11:08 AM
he has fvcked up several times

Brilliant.

parksey
12-01-2013, 11:12 AM
best bloke.

single-handedly carried the worst team ever to win a grand final.

who givrs a **** what he did at leeds or beijing or whar he said to the strayan coach (international football is shit anyway). the bloke did it for us, and he's the best we've ever had.

bloke wanted to come back, but middleby is too much of a shit **** to get the boy home. aim your hate at that **** (and deans and gve)

how did you feel about nick carle going to sydney fc?

militiamon
12-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Since when did Nick Carle win us a grand final?

snake
12-01-2013, 01:04 PM
remembe when griffo layed on that goal for carle vs adelaide?

slobs doesn't

griff :wub:

OmeletteDuFromage
12-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Whatever happened to Vrteski and Grossman?

Thomas477
12-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Whatever happened to Vrteski and Grossman?

Vrteski left when BK was fit again. Grossman just hasn't done enough for GvE to pick him ahead of Pepper, Jobe, Zad, Brillante etc.

hawk
14-01-2013, 12:08 AM
how did you feel about nick carle going to sydney fc?

couldnt give 2 hoots about the greaser.

OI middleby sign zads or get eggs

Jeterpool
14-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Zads needs to be priority re-sign target along with Heskey, though I think that decision will come down more to the player.

Nelson Bay Road
14-01-2013, 12:30 PM
apparently Gypos have signed Fitzgerald from the Roar for next season and beyond

Jetmaster
14-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Nice "big sell" by Farah....Rubes for all his positives is not "hot property". He has been around for ages, failed O/S, failed for the Socceroos.

By all means worth keeping but if he is priced above sensibility let him go. Would join the extending line of "Newy" boys who jump for the highest bidder.

belchardo
14-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Frustrated Mariners coach Graham Arnold apologises for his actions

CENTRAL Coast coach Graham Arnold faces the possibility of a heavy fine and a sideline ban after being ordered off the bench and made to watch the rest of Saturday's 1-1 draw with Melbourne Victory from the grandstand.

The drama comes as news emerged that the financially struggling Mariners are on the verge of losing one of their key sponsors at the end of the season.

The Australian understands Primo Smallgoods, which has supported the club for the past three seasons and is its back-of-shirt sponsor, will shift allegiance to new A-League club Western Sydney.

Primo is owned by Paul Lederer, now chairman of Western Sydney. Lederer is reportedly worth $400 million and is regularly included on BRW's top 200 rich list.

Primo's sponsorship is believed to be worth about $250,000 a season to the Mariners, who have struggled to keep their head above water despite being one of the most successful clubs in the history of the A-League on the field.

The club has had to rely on selling players to help its bottom line. Last season it sold Matt Simon and Rostyn Griffiths to clubs in Asia and it could lose Tom Rogic, Matt Ryan and Bernie Ibini to European clubs in the January transfer window.

It was revealed last week that the club is due to pay $3m for the land on which the Mariners' Centre of Excellence has been built at Tuggerah. Mariners chairman Peter Turnbull, who has fought hard to keep the club going, remains confident about the viability of the club and says the payment will be made.

Given the Mariners are leading the A-League and continue to produce great talent, it should be well placed to find another sponsor.

Meanwhile, with the Mariners down 1-0 and struggling, Arnold earned the wrath of referee Chris Beath just before half-time following a complaint from the fourth official. It is not known what the fired up Arnold said to cause such a stern reaction.

While the former Socceroos coach apologised later for his actions, he is unlikely to escape some form of sanction when the A-League match review panel meets today.

The panel has a number of options, although Arnold's exemplary record as a coach could ultimately save him from a heavy penalty. Whatever the panel decides, it won't save Arnold from having to fork out $1000 from his pocket under a fines system instigated by the players.

A contrite Arnold could not hide his embarrassment following the incident and did his best to make amends.

"I apologise. It was mainly down to frustration at our poor performance in the first half," he said.

"It was the first time in two and a half years I've had to go off my head at half-time (at his players) . . . I said something (to the officials) I shouldn't have said, and I'll cop whatever."

The Mariners responded well to Arnold's half-time spray, producing a much better second 45 minutes, though they needed a penalty to get back on terms.

Victory defender Adrian Leijer clumsily brought down Michael McGlinchey, and the A-League's leading goalscorer Daniel McBreen calmly sent goalkeeper Nathan Coe the wrong way.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/frustrated-mariners-coach-graham-arnold-apologises-for-his-actions/story-fn63e0vj-1226553138971

wtf? i thought when you were sent off as a coach you couldn't do anything with the team on that day. i seem to recall that extends to an hour after the match as well.

mind you, given the article didn't even get the name of the ref right, i wonder how well researched it actually was.

he was certainly on the phone to his bench a few times from the stand.

Thomas477
14-01-2013, 05:13 PM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/frustrated-mariners-coach-graham-arnold-apologises-for-his-actions/story-fn63e0vj-1226553138971

wtf? i thought when you were sent off as a coach you couldn't do anything with the team on that day. i seem to recall that extends to an hour after the match as well.

mind you, given the article didn't even get the name of the ref right, i wonder how well researched it actually was.

he was certainly on the phone to his bench a few times from the stand.

Agreed, didn't think they could contact them as well.

Mind you, this is Arnie so it's all a conspiracy against him.

Grimario
15-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Whoops.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/a-league/sacked-aleague-coach-wants-22-million-20130114-2cpka.html#ixzz2Hx71h7pN

Former Adelaide United coach Rini Coolen is suing the A-League club for $2.2 million over his sacking as head coach in December, 2011.
Dutch-born Coolen's demands were outlined at the opening of a trial in the South Australian District Court on Monday and include almost $1.3 million to pay out the three-and-a-half years he had left on his contract.
He also wants $105,000 for the loss of a car he was given to use, $107,000 for the loss of potential bonuses and several hundred thousand dollars for exemplary damages.
In his first year at Adelaide United, Coolen took the Reds from bottom to third place in the A-League and then negotiated a new four-year deal.
Advertisement
But after a string of poor performances, including just two wins and six losses from 11 games the following season, he was relegated to the role of youth coach, which he rejected.
Mark Douglas, for Coolen, told the court that during his client's contract negotiations he had been assured that the board of Adelaide United was "not the type of people who lose six games and then try to execute the coach".
But he said they had done exactly that and what had followed was a string of episodes of "back peddling" as the club tried to "rid themselves of Mr Coolen by any means available".
"What Mr Coolen has suffered is the fate of a man living without income in a country that is not his own," Douglas said.
Douglas said as well as the damages, Coolen was looking to the case to provide clarity and to vindicate the position he took, which could have significant implications on his future employment prospects.
Because of the impending litigation Coolen had also been denied the opportunity to tell his side of the story.
The trial is continuing and will include a cross claim by Adelaide United that Coolen had overstated his level of skills and experience

GazFish35
15-01-2013, 08:23 AM
They didn't sack him.
They gave him different responsibilities.

belchardo
15-01-2013, 12:02 PM
They didn't sack him.
They gave him different responsibilities.

hope they put the "other duties as required" bit in the contract then.

15-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Think you will find like most workplaces so long as those " other duties " still meant his remuneration stayed the same and not diminished the club will be ok

selassie
15-01-2013, 01:44 PM
workplace bullying IMO

GazFish35
15-01-2013, 01:53 PM
workplace bullying IMO

Heard they regularly teased him about his name.

But he always called them pissants in return.

Call it even.

Grimario
15-01-2013, 05:11 PM
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/newcastle-centreback-tiago-to-join-sydney-fc-and-replace-defensive-gap-left-by-pascal-bosschaart/story-fndcv8ir-1226554510150

SYDNEY FC are poised to fill the gap left by Pascal Bosschaart's continued injury nightmare by signing Newcastle centreback Tiago later today.

Though it's believed Newcastle have agreed to release the Brazilian defender immediately, Sydney must get special dispensation from A-League chiefs to sign him as an injury replacement as he will be another visa player.

The Sky Blues have chronic problems in central defence with Bosschaart out for six months, Adam Griffiths also injured and utility Rhyan Grant forced to fill in last Sunday against Melbourne Heart.

Bosschaart has a bone spur in his ankle to remove and a small tear in his Achilles, both of which require operations and extensive rehabilitation.

Tiago has fallen out of favour at Newcastle this season under Gary van Egmond, and will go straight into the Sydney side to face Wellington on Saturday.

The 31-year-old will sign a short-term contract for now, with Sydney no closer to finalising plans for next season.

My2BobsWorth
15-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Now this will be interesting, I liked Tarago, never allowed to play his natural game, bit like Topor

leftrightout
15-01-2013, 05:22 PM
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/newcastle-centreback-tiago-to-join-sydney-fc-and-replace-defensive-gap-left-by-pascal-bosschaart/story-fndcv8ir-1226554510150

Hahaha good things happen in threes - Clean Sheet, Clean Sheet, Tiago leaving....

Its funny because he wont be the worst player in their backline with McClenahan there!

snake
15-01-2013, 05:25 PM
rip our only remaining player worth following

q-money
15-01-2013, 05:40 PM
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy147/saricoop/glee%20gifs/santana_crying.gif

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/hines-ward-crying-sports-crying-gifs.gif

http://smhttp.14409.nexcesscdn.net/806D5E/wordpress-L/images/super-mario-bros-movie-goomba.jpg

pistolpete
15-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Maybe he could be sponsored by Mount Franklin

pv4
15-01-2013, 05:46 PM
genuinely upset with this.

I hope he scores a goal against us & celebrates more confusingly then his Perth celebration, then gives the big ones to the majority of our crew (aka the haterz)

he's the best ball player in the club, and is the one person who goes close to matching zadkids motivation to win at all costs. this decision makes me hate gve more

pv4
15-01-2013, 05:50 PM
also btw - will never forget tiago single handedly attempting to stop ccm from winning the premiers plate.

hate da coast
hate da haterz
keep on rollin
forza tiago calvano

la bazzle
15-01-2013, 05:53 PM
This is a disgrace. That's all

militiamon
15-01-2013, 06:01 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

namwob99
15-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Good riddance!!

Buddha
15-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Is this a gee up Fatman?

sammydog
15-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Tiago will destroy us when we play Sydney FC next.

I really hope letting him go isn't just cost cutting and we actually have someone over the age of 12 lined up to add to the squad.

GazFish35
15-01-2013, 06:39 PM
When we play them, I can see it now, griff will bag a brace, Culina with one assist, tiago the other.

But tiago will get sent off.

Surely we can not be surprised by this?

sammydog
15-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Mike Rabbit was funny with the report tonight, "Any sydney will need special dispensation from FFA to sign Tiago as an injury replacement otherwise he will be another visa player.............pretty sure sydney won't have any issues getting that".

Grimario
15-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Tiago will destroy us when we play Sydney FC next.

I really hope letting him go isn't just cost cutting and we actually have someone over the age of 12 lined up to add to the squad.

From the view point that he clearly isn't part of GvE's plans so getting rid of him is a great but of business by the club. If we can somehow convince Brisbane that Mitchell would be a great signing and the scum to take Bernardo as a replacement for Rogic, GvE will have done wonders axing our imports and players not good enough for his style of play.

Shit move though. If GvE wasn't a complete con artist, Tiago would tear it up in a ball playing defensive midfielder role or even as one of the ball playing centre backs if our fullbacks aren't immediately up the field. Going to be stuck with GvE talking up one style of play and doing nada but hoof in reality.

#FML/FMD/FFS/F3D

Jeterpool
15-01-2013, 06:59 PM
We should go for Partaluu if he does go. Eric has fallen out up North. Sign him up and send him to Asia, get transfer fee :gent:

Jeterpool
15-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Oh. He's gone to china.

Where's that drawing board!?

plague
15-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Geez I can't stand Van Egmonds bullshit.
**** that guy.
Will miss you Tiago. Good luck.

stopper2
15-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Don't get the Tiago love.
At his best he provided steel and experience at the back and provided us with other options when bringing the ball forward. At his worst he gave away free-kicks/penalties because of rash decision making and brain-snaps. You just never knew what you were going to get with him from game to game.
I would rather the stability and security that Taylor Regan provides any day.....he is "Newy" through and through.
Not the worst import to play for this club, but far from being one of the best either.

howardyou
15-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Don't get the Tiago love.
At his best he provided steel and experience at the back and provided us with other options when bringing the ball forward. At his worst he gave away free-kicks/penalties because of rash decision making and brain-snaps. You just never knew what you were going to get with him from game to game.
I would rather the stability and security that Taylor Regan provides any day.....he is "Newy" through and through.
Not the worst import to play for this club, but far from being one of the best either.

Totally agree stopper - was experience at the back, but also a brainsnap waiting to happen. He provided great flair and creativity (entertainment) and i loved his enthusiasm for the club, but i have never thought he has been the answer at the back the way Ljubo was.

parksey
15-01-2013, 07:29 PM
what the ****?

disgrace

stopper2
15-01-2013, 07:36 PM
what the ****?

disgrace
You'll get over it mate!

15-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Seriously how on earth can Mitchell get a gig here and Tiago gets shafted.

belchardo
15-01-2013, 07:46 PM
:yay::violin::lulzturtle::popcorn:

that is all.

parksey
15-01-2013, 07:52 PM
the guy was pretty much our best player in the opening few rounds, goodwin aside.

belchardo
15-01-2013, 08:09 PM
i'll make no comment on his abilities, but i think the reality is that if he isn't getting a look in, isn't it better to move him on and bring someone else in?

isn't what this loads of people have been asking for in relation to some of our other players?

WolfMan
15-01-2013, 08:21 PM
the guy was pretty much our best player in the opening few rounds, goodwin aside.

Agreed.

Only 1 person to blame for him not getting game-time. And that's not Tiago...

However, if he was never going to get a look-in, it makes sense to let him go.

As others have said, I will miss him. Best wind-up merchant, and could play a bit.

stopper2
15-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Yeah, like the one he set up for Archie?
Like the myth that is perpetuated with Bridges by a lot of people, likewise the same with Tiago that he was some sort of Newy legend!!!
Decent footballer but just too erratic with his decision making at crucial times.

howardyou
15-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Seriously how on earth can Mitchell get a gig here and Tiago gets shafted.

Do agree with this though!

Tommyjet
15-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Tiago is an embarrassment to the club, loved to hoof the long ball too. Thank you Sydney, how about jesic too.

parksey
15-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Yeah, like the one he set up for Archie?
Like the myth that is perpetuated with Bridges by a lot of people, likewise the same with Tiago that he was some sort of Newy legend!!!
Decent footballer but just too erratic with his decision making at crucial times.

we was definitely prone to the odd error in judgement, but he was a man mountain on a few occasions early on in the season. sydney away in particular he was immense.

Thomas477
15-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Mike Rabbit was funny with the report tonight, "Any sydney will need special dispensation from FFA to sign Tiago as an injury replacement otherwise he will be another visa player.............pretty sure sydney won't have any issues getting that".

Yeah, for some reason I agree with him.

But if Sydney get the go ahead, what's to stop us buying Messi as an injury replacement for Kanta? Seriously, I thought the whole point of the NYL was to provide a 2nd squad to improve youngsters and provide injury cover. If they get the go ahead, it should be fair game for the rest of the league as well.

Realistically though, they will be able to but the rest of the clubs won't be able to.

plague
15-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Tiago is an embarrassment to the club, loved to hoof the long ball too.

as opposed to the Beckenbauer, Maldini, Nesta and the like we've got at the back for us at the moment?

Jesus, its like some of you blokes think we're gonna get through the rest of the year with only our current 11 and 4 fillins we ring on a friday night.

Hope we dont get any injuries etc.

WolfMan
15-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Simon Hill having a bit of a set-to with a hack from Adelaide...

http://www.fiveaa.com.au/audio_simon-hill-fights-with-cornesy-about-del-piero_106111

GazFish35
15-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Was rumored to be on big coin too.
Glad he's not leaving the a-league though

Tommyjet
15-01-2013, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=plague;24051]as opposed to the Beckenbauer, Maldini, Nesta and the like we've got at the back for us at the moment?

Jesus, its like some of you blokes think we're gonna get through the rest of the year with only our current 11 and 4 fillins we ring on a friday night.

Would prefer Ritter and even kanta to tiago, look fragile with he and Mitchell there

plague
15-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Would prefer Ritter and even kanta to tiago, look fragile with he and Mitchell there

Arent they either injured/rubbish etc at the moment anyway?

As I said bird in the hand etc etc etc.

If GVE either has faith in his squad or a replacement lined up then great. But his record on both these issues hasnt been encouraging imho.

Pico
16-01-2013, 07:53 AM
But if Sydney get the go ahead, what's to stop us buying Messi as an injury replacement for Kanta?

1. the little fact that Kanta is an AUS player & Messi would be a visa player &
2. Kanta isn't out for the season

Seriously, I thought the whole point of the NYL was to provide a 2nd squad to improve youngsters and provide injury cover. If they get the go ahead, it should be fair game for the rest of the league as well.

Realistically though, they will be able to but the rest of the clubs won't be able to.

Don't understand the issue, they have a player who has suffered a long term injury, at least 6 months rehab, and want an injury replacement, they wont have extra visa players, they'll just have one on the long term injury list (Its not like WSW with the ability to go and sign extra visa players as part of their standard squad).

They have attempted to sign a player during the transfer window & it allows Newcastle to cut a visa player, a high earner & someone on the outer with the coach. It also allows the player to get back to playing and potentially line up a new contract for next season, better then getting to the end of the season and him being off contract and having not played for months.

I'd hope the FFA would rubber stamp this as it would be a stupid decision to stop visa injury replacement players being eligible during a transfer window for a long term injury to a contracted visa player, provided when the injured player returns that the squad still only has the 5, or 4 if they change the rule, visa players. This would mean that if all of SFC's visa players are on multi year deals then this contract for Tiago would only be able to be for the remainder of this season, as long as one of their visa players is in the final year of his contract then they should be able to sign a multi year deal with tiago as it means they will only ever be able to field the standard 5, or 4, visa players.

goaliepersempre
16-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Disgrace.... am pissed of with this. Yet another player of experience that is pushed away but gve, most likely as he has opened his mouth. The writing has been on the wall. Tiago is an immense player, I thought he was just getting settled in this league for good at the start and then gve with his lets change the team each week. He will be immense for sydney against us. (we have a ahbit of disregarding imports, you like at most clubs and the big leagues, even at the quality of La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and Premier League alot of the time players take time to fully control and grasp a different league) Its a little easier in those leagues somewhat due to the quality you have around you, its just other parts of the game need to get used to.

The Australian game as is, is a irregular generally slow paced game, very physical and huge range in environmental conditions. Thus why its not an easy league.

I am concerned and its obvious im sure to most people that GVE is a good talker, but lacks the dominance of a great coach. LAcks the people skills to acknowledge input from others.

Some of this might not be right, lifted from wiki but:

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
1982–1986 APIA Leichhardt 7 (0)
1987–1989 Footscray JUST 61 (1)
1989–1990 Marconi Stallions 25 (1)
1990–1991 Roda JC 10 (0)
1991–1997 Marconi Stallions 109 (8)
1996–1997 Wollongong City Wolves 21 (0)
1997–1998 Bonnyrigg White Eagles 17 (0)
1998 Blacktown City 8 (0)
2001 Manly-Warringah Dolphins

National team‡
1988–1989 Australia 15 (0) (olympic team)

Teams managed
2001-2006 Newcastle Jets (Assistant Coach)
2006–2009 Newcastle Jets (1 Grand Final Championship, 1 Wooden Spoon with his team, then jumps ship)
2009–2011 AIS (Assistant Coach)
2011– Newcastle Jets

Not a huge history, he himself only lasted 10 games overseas at Roda...

Yeah most of us on here havent dont any of the above stuff you might say,

but still am dissapointed in tiago leaving, in the direction and feel around the club and watching games..

Like alot will always be a member, supporting our club..

and meh to all you TL DR..

Newieutd
16-01-2013, 08:15 AM
http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/hines-ward-crying-sports-crying-gifs.gif

Poor Hines - good kid

pv4
16-01-2013, 08:21 AM
woah woah woah

gve's wiki says he was assistant coach of ais?

I thought he was head coach.

is this another rini coolen overstates his credentials & we're left looking like idiots who didn't do proper checks?

Newieutd
16-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Tiago - no big loss...Until he punches Goodwin or Heskey or Griffo in the face and they are out for weeks...

They way i see it is that Tiago has the potential to punch GVE in the face after a game v Sydney so im all for him leaving

MFKS
16-01-2013, 10:22 AM
woah woah woah

gve's wiki says he was assistant coach of ais?

I thought he was head coach.

is this another rini coolen overstates his credentials & we're left looking like idiots who didn't do proper checks?

PV4 Wikis a decent guide for info on research but it ain't gospel.

Never forget just after the HAL GF last year someone updated Berishas Wiki with the Dive of the year title

boz-monaut
16-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Wiki also incorrectly credits our grand final winning goal to the wrong player

goaliepersempre
16-01-2013, 10:56 AM
thus why i said

MFKS
16-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Seriously with Tarago and Lord Griffo playing for them the Smurfs are starting to look more Newy than us.

If they sign Llujbo and Berisha and Zadko I am jumping ship :sparring::yeahright:

Jeterpool
16-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Deadset funny stuff reading the Sydney Forum and the comments they have about Tiago. I reckon by their reaction he'll feel more loved by GvE!

hawk
16-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Was rumored to be on big coin too.
Glad he's not leaving the a-league though
raises a big point.

So lets throw out another capable player because he's earning a dollar and not in the boy lovers club of gve amd middleby. Just means we'll get another noddy in. some were happy with Topper leaving cause he cost too much so we could get mitchell etal in. phkg clowns.

Why do we want him in the aleague when he will cut our ankles out. To the furnace with u middleby and co.

The Dunster
16-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Disgrace.... am pissed of with this. Yet another player of experience that is pushed away but gve, most likely as he has opened his mouth. The writing has been on the wall. Tiago is an immense player, I thought he was just getting settled in this league for good at the start and then gve with his lets change the team each week. He will be immense for sydney against us. (we have a ahbit of disregarding imports, you like at most clubs and the big leagues, even at the quality of La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and Premier League alot of the time players take time to fully control and grasp a different league) Its a little easier in those leagues somewhat due to the quality you have around you, its just other parts of the game need to get used to.

The Australian game as is, is a irregular generally slow paced game, very physical and huge range in environmental conditions. Thus why its not an easy league.

I am concerned and its obvious im sure to most people that GVE is a good talker, but lacks the dominance of a great coach. LAcks the people skills to acknowledge input from others.

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
1982–1986 APIA Leichhardt 7 (0)
1987–1989 Footscray JUST 61 (1)
1989–1990 Marconi Stallions 25 (1)
1990–1991 Roda JC 10 (0)
1991–1997 Marconi Stallions 109 (8)
1996–1997 Wollongong City Wolves 21 (0)
1997–1998 Bonnyrigg White Eagles 17 (0)
1998 Blacktown City 8 (0)

National team‡
1988–1989 Australia 15 (0) (olympic team)

Teams managed
2001-2006 Newcastle Jets (Assistant Coach)
2006–2009 Newcastle Jets (1 Grand Final Championship, 1 Wooden Spoon with his team, then jumps ship)
2009–2011 AIS (Assistant Coach)
2011– Newcastle Jets

Not a huge history, he himself only lasted 10 games overseas at Roda...

Yeah most of us on here havent dont any of the above stuff you might say,

but still am dissapointed in tiago leaving, in the direction and feel around the club and watching games..

Like alot will always be a member, supporting our club..

and meh to all you TL DR..

You forgot that he was Lawrie McKinna's understudy at Northern Spirit, where GVE coached the Youth Team.

Add Slater, Arnold, and Hutcho to the equation and it's not difficult to imagine the baggage GVE carries fom his time at Northern Spirit.

goaliepersempre
16-01-2013, 12:43 PM
lol northern spirit....

Grimario
16-01-2013, 06:25 PM
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/newcastle-jets-furious-with-ffa-over-decision-to-shift-game-against-wellington-phoenix/story-fnddgn65-1226***330647

Newcastle Jets furious with FFA over decision to shift game against Wellington Phoenix

A FURIOUS row has broken out between Football Federation Australia and the Newcastle Jets over a sudden decision to shift the Jets' trip to Wellington in March, forcing Gary van Egmond's side to play three games in eight days including a 20-hour round trip to New Zealand.

Van Egmond described FFA's decision as "insulting", after the governing body acceded to a request from Phoenix to move the game as it clashes with a World Cup qualifier at the same time for New Zealand.

FFA's switch comes despite them refusing to do the same in Round 2, when Phoenix had to send a severely weakened side to play Melbourne Heart, and also last week declining to allow Brisbane Roar to move an A-League game with Sydney FC to facilitate an Asian Champions League qualifier.

With the A-League not breaking for FIFA windows, Phoenix first alerted FFA to the clashes with New Zealand games in July, but the Jets say they only found out a fortnight ago that their game had been unilaterally switched to Wednesday February 20 - between their games with Melbourne Heart and Brisbane on February 15 and 22.

FFA's policy has always been to refuse to change policy mid-season, and in July they stated there would be no fixture re-arrangements to allow for FIFA dates.

The Jets offered a compromise by playing the game at Hunter Stadium on February 20, but were told today by FFA that they would have to travel to Wellington.

It's believed the Jets may send a weakened squad, fearing injuries to their weakened players from the schedule.

"In a close competition like we have at the moment, this decision could have a real bearing on our season," van Egmond said.

"Clearly we will need our full squad and to draw on the special camaraderie and mental strength to get through this situation we now find ourselves in.

"To decline our compromise to play the game in Newcastle, claiming it would disadvantage Wellington, is insulting for the credibility of the A-League competition, our players and fans."

An FFA official said their hands were tied, as Wellington had no youth team and would be prevented from signing players outside of a transfer window, meaning they would not be able to put out a starting XI if the game was played on its original date.

belchardo
16-01-2013, 06:28 PM
what a crock of crap all round.

good to see GVE laying the groundwork for the excuse for losing early.

16-01-2013, 06:54 PM
" A bearing on our season ". In the end i think GVE's tinkering week after week would have had more of an effect on where we finish.

Rocky
16-01-2013, 06:59 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-sign-Hoole-to-oneyear-deal/58323

Hoole on a 1 year deal. Decent piece of business.

sammydog
16-01-2013, 07:10 PM
So Tiago was released to allow Hoole to be signed. While Hoole had a good debut, I would be happier if we had replaced Tiago with someone a little more experienced.

weston
16-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Wellington don't have a youth squad to call players up from. Well fix it.

I don't think the game should be played in Newcastle as the match was scheduled for Wellington but i don't agree with them moving it either. If they can't field a team than they can forfeit i guess. I think FFA should consider taking weeks off for fifa dates???

sh10
16-01-2013, 07:15 PM
I think FFA should consider taking weeks off for fifa dates???

That's the common sense outcome as has been done in previous seasons. But were the FIFA weekends used this season to allow the later start? (which was a success)

Legitimate gripes from GVE. I'd be saying the same thing if it was any other team except the scum or blue shite

Thomas477
16-01-2013, 07:44 PM
" A bearing on our season ". In the end i think GVE's tinkering week after week would have had more of an effect on where we finish.

FFS, we've kept two clean sheets in a row plus kept a fairly stable first XI and people are still griping about him making changes.

Half the time the changes have been forced due to injuries. Nothing you can do about that, or would you prefer Jobe hobbling about in midfield over Brillante? So the other half is most likely due to form, fitness or suspension. No point playing out of form players, nor if he doesn't think they're 100%. Our opinions don't matter, at the end of the day it's up to GvE.

And surprisingly enough the top teams in the world do not keep the same lineup week in, week out. And to expect that we do is stupid. Having the same 11 assured of their spots breeds complacency, mixing it up helps to send the message that no one is assured of a starting spot, making everyone work harder.

snake
16-01-2013, 08:10 PM
sif we'd win in wello anyways

onya hooley! hoole's hool's will no doubt have a fence banner to celebrate

plague
16-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Why can't the NZ national team use alternative players?
Who is the qualifier against anyway?

northern_swan
16-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Why can't the NZ national team use alternative players?
Who is the qualifier against anyway?

New Caledonia IIRC

boz-monaut
16-01-2013, 08:25 PM
the double-F A are to blame for not having international breaks in the A-League

ForeverRed
16-01-2013, 09:01 PM
I don't understand why Australian football needs to make alternative arrangements to accommodate New Zealand football, phoenix are in the A league not the New Zealand national team, disgrace

sammydog
16-01-2013, 09:15 PM
If their NZ players counted as visa players as they do for the rest of the aleague, then they wouldn't have half their team out.

Still don't know why FFA go so far out of their way to assist NZ football.