PDA

View Full Version : Daily Australian News 2012

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Pico
22-06-2012, 09:16 AM

Mitchell training with Jets to keep fitness up

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00047826-leadimage.jpg

Former Perth Glory defender Josh Mitchell is currently training with the Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets to maintain his fitness.

Mitchell finished his time with Perth at the end of the 2011/12 A-League season and has returned to his hometown build a base level of fitness before his next move.

“I’m from Newcastle originally and after finishing up with Perth I came back here to see my parents for a little bit,” Mitchell said.

“I’ve already had a holiday so I need to get back into training and Gary van Egmond has let me come along and join in with the Jets boys for a few weeks.

“I’ve had enough time off, I just need to build some fitness and enjoy some training and this is the best option for me.”

A Swansea Swans junior, Mitchell said he had been impressed by the intensity of the training sessions he has been involved in so far.

“It’s been good. I know what Gary is all about training wise and the standard of training has been excellent so far.”

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Mitchell-training-with-Jets-to-keep-fitness-up/47826

Would be a handy pick up if we didn't already have Tiago, T-S, Regs & chapman.

Pico
22-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Membership soars in first day

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00047822-leadimage.jpg

With 1,590 Members signing up since 12pm yesterday, 450 of those in the first five hours, the people of the Hunter Region are more passionate for the Newcastle Jets than ever before.

The 2012/13 Membership packages offer exceptional value and remain at the same affordable price as last season, with a Community Reserved Membership starting at as little as $115 for an Adult, $60 for a Child and $260 for Families.

Those who make the Membership commitment can look forward to some fantastic inclusions, including access to all 13 Jets home games, an exclusive Member cap and blister pack containing a 2012/12 Member lanyard, keyring, sticker sheet and magnetic fixture.

With over 10,000 Members last season, the Jets achieved the second highest Membership in the A-League and this year are targeting 11,000 Members with this year’s “Every Goal Matters’ campaign.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Membership-soars-in-first-day/47822

Good to see some strong sales early on but would that include the automatic renewals?

Hamma12
22-06-2012, 11:56 AM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-release-ToporStanley/47832

Jets release Topor-Stanley

The Newcastle Jets have worked through a mutual release agreement with defender Nikolai Topor-Stanley.

Topor-Stanley has an offer to play with another Club and the Jets felt it was in the best interest of the player to pursue this opportunity.

“He is a good footballer and this is a wonderful opportunity for Nikolai to continue his career at another club,” CEO Robbie Middleby said.

“This opportunity gives him longevity in the game and as a Club we couldn’t stand in his way.

“We would like to thank Nikolai for his contribution to the Jets and wish him well in the future.”

Topor-Stanley informed his teammates of his release, which is effective immediately, this morning at training.

The Jets are unable to confirm which Club Topor-Stanley has agreed to terms with but an announcement is expected within the next few days

pv4
22-06-2012, 11:58 AM
cooper's troopers it is

boz-monaut
22-06-2012, 11:58 AM
RIP Topor's Troopers

pv4
22-06-2012, 12:00 PM
#bringbackljubo

true waterboy
22-06-2012, 12:22 PM
cooper's troopers it is
coopers troopers :cool:

Tommyjet
22-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Final straw might of been josh mitchell showing him up at training. Look for mitchells signing in the next week or so, much cheaper option and arguably a better player imo. Doesnt shit himself on the ball like nts.

&1gest
22-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Brazilian Finkler joins VictoryFriday, 22 June 2012 12:05 PM

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/site/_template/_icons/email/email.png
 (http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.footballaustralia.co m.au%2Fmelbournevictory%2Fnews-display%2FBrazilian-Fink-joins-Victory%2F47835&t=Latest%20Football%20Australia%20News&src=sp)

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00047835-leadimage.jpg

Melbourne Victory today confirms that it has signed Brazilian midfielder, Guilherme Finkler, on a two-year deal.
Most recently Finkler played with ABC Futebol Clube after he was loaned out by Criciuma, a team in Brazil’s second division. While the attacking midfielder has spent the majority of his professional career playing in Brazil, in 2006/07 he tried his hand in Europe, spending the season at English Championship side Wolverhampton Wanderers after impressing on a pre-season tour of Spain.
Melbourne Victory Coach, Ange Postecoglou, considers Finkler a key addition to his rapidly growing squad, “Guilherme is an exciting prospect and I’m looking forward to working with him.
“Brazilian players have certain qualities that not many other players possess, so I’m confident he can bring a different type of flair to the group, but more importantly, he comes with a determination and ambition to be part of a successful team,” Postecoglou added.
Finkler, who is in the process of finalising his visa, is expected to arrive in early July and can’t wait to get started, “It’s very exciting for me to be joining Melbourne Victory,” he said.
“I hear they have great fans and have been a very successful club, so it’s a move I’m very happy to make.
“I have known Fernando Rech (former Adelaide United striker) for a long time and he told me how nice Australia is and that the standard of football is very good,” he said from Brazil.
Finkler joins Jonathan Bru, Spase Dilevski, Sam Gallagher and Adama Traore as Melbourne Victory’s newest additions.

Pico
22-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Newcastle Jets release Topor-Stanley
JOSHUA LEESON
22 Jun, 2012 12:25 PM
THE Newcastle Jets’ No.1 central defender Nikolai Topor-Stanley has been released by the A-League club.

The announcement this morning followed weeks of speculation from the Newcastle Herald and denials from coach Gary van Egmond that the former Socceroo was poised to leave the Jets.

In a statement Jets said the release came through mutual agreement.

“He is a good footballer and this is a wonderful opportunity for Nikolai to continue his career at another club,” Jets chief exective Robbie Middleby said.

“This opportunity gives him longevity in the game and as a club we couldn’t stand in his way.’’

Topor-Stanley is believed to be poised to sign with a rival A-League club.

Just over a year ago the Jets fought off interest from Sydney FC to re-sign Topor-Stanley.

At the time then coach Branko Culina hailed his retention as turning point in the history of the club.

There is further speculation the Jets will seek to off-load experienced Brazilian centre back Tiago.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/newcastle-jets-release-toporstanley/2600059.aspx

Be interesting to see if we release Tiago that will free up another visa spot.
might be being lined up for that Korean bloke they were trialling.

Pico
22-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Jets trialing South Korean
Monday, 18 June 2012 4:04 PM

Jets trialing South Korean

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00047774-leadimage.jpg

South Korean fullback Lee Soung Yong will be on trial with the Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets this week.

The 24-year-old currently plays for PSAP Sigli in the Indonesia Super League and was previously at K-League Club Incheon United.

Jets head coach Gary van Egmond said Lee’s trial was part of the Jets’ ongoing recruitment process.

“We’re looking at our depth and he plays as a left or right fullback so we’ve got him to come in this week and we’ll have a look at him and go from there,” van Egmond said.

“We’ll look at how he gels with the team and also the qualities that he brings to the football pitch and see if that is something different to what we’ve got already.

“Most of the stuff we do in pre-season is all ball work anyway so that will give us a good indication of where he’s at.

“During the week we’ll play some different games in training that will allow us to establish whether he is the right person or not.”

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-trialing-South-Korean/47774

Could be being lined up to replace T-S &/or Tiago.

parksey
22-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Mitchell as a replacement for NTS would be great. I'd say that's why he's training with us at the moment.

Jets
22-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Don't need to replace him imo, Tiago, Regan, Chapman, Gallaway + Kanta as potential cover.

If Mitchell can still play as a good left back then he'd be a nice complementary player to have in that role with Goodwin.

hawk
22-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Who's going to cover Gallows...and it begins.

furns
22-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Not surprising, there's been rumours about Topor leaving for months now. Let's just hope GvE has someone good lined up ffs.

Pico
22-06-2012, 02:19 PM
GVE has his eye on this bloke to partner Reg's....

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnk00z_y5gsikHHFbjpcUrJYvGZHl5Q AhEe2M5WWv2Z8YZtK_Z7A

steve136
22-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Off Seasons are always the worst for us Jets fans- always waiting for high quality, experience overseas players but we all know that the season will roll around, we'll have lost a few players that are solid and Jobe will end up playing striker....

Rocknerd
22-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Every season we're rebuilding, every season, it's the same thing. With GVE, all our wins will come down to his system and the boys doing what they're told. Whilst ever failure is the players fault, that they didn't follow the game plan.

we'll have another mediocore season with promises of grande next year once the team has had time to settle and we sign a few more key players, but the reality is we'll never be a stable functioning team.

We're already into pre season and i've already given up on winning the league!

scarfy96
22-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Topor always struggled with the GVE system. Not surprised to see him go at all.

In reality this is the first time GVE has had free reign to build his own squad. Under Con he was always penny pinching, last season it was obviously not his team. This is his year, I don't care if he doesn't win the league but the team has to play some damn fine football or the pressure on him will be very high.

Guerny
22-06-2012, 03:12 PM
... Under Con he was always penny pinching, last season it was obviously not his team. ...

well he's not exactly spending up big this preseason either....

Watch this space! Jets to be the first ever a-league team to break even over consecutive seasons, and to finish in the bottom third in those seasons...
Tinkler is now taking the long term approach to pissing off the FFA by fielding a minimum cost squad.

Still better than no team at all i suppose.

G.

Pico
22-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Topor-Stanley Exits Jets For West

http://i.haymarket.net.au/Utils/ImageResizer.ashx?n=http%3a%2f%2fi.haymarket.net.a u%2fNews%2ftoporstanley2011.jpg&w=653
NEWCASTLE Jets have released Nikolai Topor-Stanley with the towering defender set to join the new Western Sydney side next week.

Jets CEO Robbie Middleby said it was in the best interests of the club to grant the 27-year-old a release to join the fledgling club and bolster the defence alongside Michael Beauchamp.

"He is a good footballer and this is a wonderful opportunity for Nikolai to continue his career at another club," Middleby said.

"This opportunity gives him longevity in the game and as a club we couldn't stand in his way.

"We would like to thank Nikolai for his contribution to the Jets and wish him well in the future."

He is likely to join former team-mate Tarek Elrich at the new side which will reveal its name - expected to be Western Sydney Wanderers - colours and logo on Monday.

Also set to be unveiled are Shannon Cole, Mark Bridge, Aaron Mooy and Liam Reddy with former Sydney FC NYL striker Kerem Bulut also tipped as a possible signing.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/243731,topor-stanley-exits-newcastle-jets.aspx

Putting aside the NTS news, Bulut would be a good signing for them or us even.

pistolpete
22-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Putting aside the NTS news, Bulut would be a good signing for them or us even.

Not sold on him yet. Pretty much the same story as most of our squad, could turn out to be a gun but could also turn out to be a Patafta

Tommyjet
22-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Aaron mooy is the only one worth getting excited about in the apparent 10 that will be named on monday, the rest are club rejects that, if not for the new team, would be either struggling for game time or on the couch watching next season

hawk
22-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Is Bulut out of jail?

pv4
23-06-2012, 08:42 AM
ben mcnamara, former jets 3rd keeper & toronto boy, has a trial with afc wimbledon.

ToddG NBUnited
23-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Nikolai falls from favour as Jets head in new direction
JAMES GARDINER Analysis Sat, Jun 23 2012

LET GO: Nikolai Topor-Stanley

WHEN Nikolai Topor-Stanley committed to two more years with the Jets 18 months ago it was hailed as a turning point in the club’s history.
Sydney FC had offered a king’s ransom to lure Topor-Stanley back to the harbour city. But in the end the Jets considered the towering central defender and 2010-11 player of the year too important to let go.
They raised the ante and Topor-Stanley inked a new deal, becoming one of the club’s top earners.
‘‘Certainly in my time at Newcastle it’s the first time that we’ve actually kept a player that’s had an offer from a so-called bigger club – and I think that will change with Nathan and where we are now – but I think that’s a real positive,’’ then coach Branko Culina said.
‘‘I think that’s going to send a clear message to the rest of the players, hopefully, within our team and from outside, that, hey, these guys had better offers but they decided to stay.’’
Yesterday, the same player they fought so hard to retain was regarded as surplus to requirements and released from the final year of his contract.
Why the dramatic shift?
For starters, Gary van Egmond replaced Culina as coach.
They are different characters with different philosophies and different expectations.
Van Egmond insists on playing out from the back.
There is no question Topor-Stanley has limitations in that department.
On a couple of occasions last season he struggled to find a player in red and blue, but it is an aspect of his game that has improved.
On the flip side are his strengths.
He is incredibly quick for a big man, probably the league’s best in the air and a great one-on-one defender.
Presumably those traits did not weigh up.
It is unlikely that age was a factor. Topor-Stanley recently turned 27.
Likewise durability. He played 25 of 27 matches last season. Apart from minor Achilles and knee trouble that require management, he is in good shape physically.
There is a school of thought that Topor-Stanley simply did not fit van Egmond’s mould of young, athletic, amenable tearaways.
He is not a conformist but, by the same token, he is hardly a rabble-rouser.
In making the assessment, van Egmond no doubt looked at the big picture, the A-League’s $2.35million salary cap foremost in his mind.
Topor-Stanley was on about $250,000 a season. His defensive partner Tiago earns about $200,000.
Is it good business to have such a large chunk of the salary cap taken up at the back end of the pitch?
The Herald understands Tiago was offered $50,000 to walk away from the final year of his deal, but he appears to be back in favour.
The Jets did not reveal the details of Topor-Stanley’s exit other than to say it was a ‘‘mutual release agreement’’.
Any payout must be included in the salary cap.
Whether Topor-Stanley is replaced remains to be seen.
It certainly won’t be with another high-priced defender.
Newcastle-born former Perth Glory defender Josh Mitchell has been training with the Jets for a week.
Home-grown product Taylor Regan has proved he is more than up to it.
There are big raps on 17-year-old former Australian Joeys captain Connor Chapman, whom van Egmond brought to the club towards the end of last season. Sam Gallaway also plays there.
After inheriting the side last season, van Egmond was always going to be judged on this campaign.

Not overly fussed about topor leaving tbh

ToddG NBUnited
23-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Mitchell gets chance for homecoming
By JAMES GARDINER Sat, Jun 23 2012

NEW FACE: Josh Mitchell

JOSH Mitchell started training with the Newcastle Jets this week to shed some holiday kilograms.
Now the 28-year-old Newcastle-born centre-back looms as a replacement for Nikolai Topor-Stanley.
In a stunning development, Topor-Stanley was released from the final year of his contract yesterday and is expected to link with new A-League franchise West Sydney as early as Monday.
Mitchell, who can play across the backline, has spent the past two seasons at Perth, playing 35 games, 27 as a starter.
He was on the bench but did not get on in the Glory’s 2-1 grand final loss to Brisbane Roar.
The Broadmeadow Magic junior played for Newcastle United in the old national soccer league when van Egmond was an assistant coach to Ian Crook.
He spent four years in Romania before joining the Glory. A free agent, he has returned from a European holiday and been staying at his parents’ house in Caves Beach.
What had been a chance to get in shape at the Jets is now a full-blown trial.
Mitchell partnered Tiago in the heart of defence during a 30-minute intra-club game at training yesterday.
Both he and Korean left back Lee Seung-yong are expected to start in the club’s first pre-season hit-out against Broadmeadow at Wanderers Oval on Wednesday.
Topor-Stanley’s exit leaves Brazilian Tiago and youngsters Taylor Regan, Sam Gallaway and apprentice Connor Chapman as the recognised centre-backs on the Jets roster.
The 27-year-old informed teammates of his move at the end of training yesterday, bringing an end to months of speculation.
The Herald understands the defender was keen to see out his contract but saw the writing on the wall.
Van Egmond, who brought Topor-Stanley to Newcastle on the eve of the Asian Champions League campaign in 2009, was unavailable for comment yesterday.
He rejected claims last week that that Topor-Stanley and Tiago had been shopped around, but foreshadowed possible changes to the squad.
‘‘From our point of view we are committed to them,’’ he told the Herald. ‘‘From what they are showing in their application to training they are committed to us. But, again, you never know.’’
In a statement yesterday, Jets chief executive Robbie Middleby thanked the 2010-11 player of the year for his contribution and wished him well for the future.
“He is a good footballer and this is a wonderful opportunity for Nikolai to continue his career at another club,” Middleby said.
When contacted yesterday Topor-Stanley declined to comment until his playing future had been finalised.
West Sydney have a press conference scheduled on Monday at which they will announce club name, logo and the first round of player signings.
Then Melbourne Victory coach Jim Magilton had shown interest in Topor-Stanley towards the end of last season but he is favoured to join former teammates Tarek Elrich and Labinot Haliti in western Sydney.
The exit of Topor-Stanley combined with the release of Elrich, Haliti, Kasey Wehrman, Francis Jeffers, Ali Abbas, Byun Sung-hwan and Jeremy Brockie has freed up a big chunk of the Jets’ salary cap. Topor-Stanley is unlikely to be the last contracted player to go.
Tiago and striker Marko Jesic have been linked to moves, and van Egmond has said they would treat every case on its merits.
The Jets have up to five places to fill on the roster, including three visa players.
Until now, James Brown (Gold Coast) and Scott Neville (Perth) are the club’s biggest signings. The rest are promising but unproven youngsters.
if we can get him fairly cheap i wouldn't mind seeing another Newy boy back in the squad

Pico
23-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Flores: My A-League Vow
http://i.haymarket.net.au/Utils/ImageResizer.ashx?n=http%3a%2f%2fi.haymarket.net.a u%2fNews%2f20120622090918_108213499.jpg&w=653
EXCLUSIVE: Free agent Marcos Flores remains as passionate as ever about Australia and the A-League, saying he wants to give back to the game in this country.

In recent days Flores and his management came to a mutual decision over his contract with Chinese club Henan Jianye after the struggling CSL club’s defensive mindset didn’t suit the Argentine’s flair game.

Adelaide United still want to bring him back to Hindmarsh, although the club already has 22 contracted players for next season and thus only have one salary-capped spot left on the roster.

However that might still change if the Reds reshuffled their roster to accommodate Flores.

But while the Reds ponder, a number of other A-League clubs are said to be very interested in bringing back the 26-year-old star.

And Flores says he's ready to bring his own brand of magic to the A-League after his spell in China.

“I have a love for Australia. I really love the country. It is special to me,” he told au.fourfourtwo.com.

“The people I love so much and I hope I gave the A-League something special when I played there. I have a passion for football. It is in everything I do.

"It’s why I always stop and talk with the supporters and kids, it’s why I work with the Johnny Warren Foundation to help kids, it’s why I give everything on the park for the fans.”

There’s no doubt that Flores returning would be a massive boost to the A-League.

Like Thomas Broich, Flores arrived in the A-League as a relative unknown. He played 31 games for Adelaide, scoring nine goals but it was the manner of his play and his media-friendly persona that won Flores so many admirers across the country.

Flores would be ideal for new franchise representing the greater western Sydney region. His presence would boost interest to the Sydney derby for a club desperate to win over this heartland of football fans.

But Melbourne Victory, who recently offloaded playmaker Carlos Hernandez, may look to Flores as their version of Thomas Broich.

New Victory coach Ange Postecoglou plays the type of football Flores enjoys and it could be a perfect fit despite having just signed Brazilian midfielder Guilherme Finkler.

“Who knows the future?” added Flores.

“But If I come back to the A-League I hope to show the same passion on and off the park as I did last time when I won the best player award for A-League’s best.”

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/243771,flores-my-a-league-vow.aspx

Sign him up Tinks, Flores feeding the Griff's would be like griffmas every weekend!

Thomas477
23-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Sign him up Tinks, Flores feeding the Griff's would be like griffmas every weekend!

Agree. He would fit the mold perfectly, and would be a brilliant marquee player with little to no risk, as he's proven he's class at A-League level.

GazFish35
24-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Kewell gone.
Victory lose the chicken eater to India, and their other star to Indian chicken farmers.

Apparently his wife's mother is very ill so he's staying in England....
Blackburn fans should be happy.

If Flores doesn't now end up at Victory, I'll be shocked.

Grunta
24-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Kewell gone.
Victory lose the chicken eater to India, and their other star to Indian chicken farmers.

Apparently his wife's mother is very ill so he's staying in England....
Blackburn fans should be happy.

If Flores doesn't now end up at Victory, I'll be shocked.

Whats the chances of him signing for a lower division English club.

GazFish35
24-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Lower than Blackburn?
I've seen reports that link him and Neil to them.

namwob99
24-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Lucas neill to Blackburn? Surely not. They despise him don't they?

Pico
25-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Wanderers take a stand in fight to establish team
Sebastian Hassett
June 25, 2012
http://images.smh.com.au/2012/06/24/3401384/ipad-art-wide-parra-420x0.jpg

Summer home ... Parramatta Stadium, traditionally the turf of league, will get a Wanderers makeover to accommodate the new team during the A-League season.. Photo: Wolter Peeters

MOVE over Mick Cronin, you're being bumped for Johnny Warren. And Ken Thornett? Step aside, Mark Bosnich is coming through.

That's how the A-League's newest club, the Western Sydney Wanderers, is planning to convert Parramatta Stadium from rugby league's sacred turf to football's newest base.

Just days after the AFL was revealed to have made a move on the home of rugby league, Birchgrove Oval, today Football Federation Australia will reveal how they plan to make their mark on another patch of traditional league territory.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Almost all traces of the Parramatta Eels will be moved aside for the summer months so that the Wanderers - whose name, colours and first players will all formally be announced today - can make the stadium their own when they take up tenancy at the venue from October.

As part of that, they'll be renaming the stands for the A-League season. Warren will be honoured with one of the two main stands at the venue bearing his name, recognising not only his tireless efforts to promote the sport but that he began his career at Canterbury-Marrickville.

The other stand, and the Brett Kenny Hill and Peter Sterling Hill, will also be christened with new names by the football community. They could be chosen from any number of players who have contributed to the region, such as Paul Okon, Mark Schwarzer, Zeljko Kalac, Harry Kewell, Attila Abonyi, Peter Ollerton, Graham Arnold and Robbie Slater.

However, it's thought Bosnich, who played an active role in the development of the new club through the community fan forums, is a logical choice for a main stand.

An official close to the club insisted that while it would be standing its ground on the issue, it wasn't designed to inflame tensions with rugby league.

''With all due respect to the Eels, we plan on making this a football venue when they're not there and somewhere football people feel at home,'' he said. ''We're going to be a major tenant, an equal tenant, and they'll have to understand our desire that when we're playing there, we'll be putting our touch on the venue, even if that means covering up some blue and gold.

''I'm sure they won't have a problem with it and I'm sure the stadium trust will like the idea of the Wanderers doing all they can to attract people to Parramatta Stadium.''

Today's announcement will also confirm many of the long-held rumours about the make-up of the club. Their colours will officially be red, black and white and the club will sport a logo the FFA believes ''blends traditional football with a new look''.

While Parramatta Stadium will host the bulk of their home matches, including their debut as a club against Central Coast on October 6, the Wanderers will also visit Campbelltown Stadium and Penrith's Centrebet Stadium in coming years - and those venues are likely to host the club's W-League and youth league sides.

Young Socceroo Aaron Mooy, 21, will be the first player officially unveiled by the club tomorrow, along with two others, expected to be former Newcastle Jets captain Tarek Elrich and former Socceroo Ante Covic.

More signings are expected to be publicly announced in the subsequent days, with Mark Bridge, Shannon Cole, Labinot Haliti, Michael Beauchamp and Kwabena Appiah-Kubi all having agreed terms.

Recently released Jets defender Nikolai Topor-Stanley is also thought to be close to agreeing a deal.

However, the FFA won't free up the funds for the club to fill its two marquee positions, effectively ruling out a mooted move for ex-Adelaide sensation Marcos Flores.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/wanderers-take-a-stand-in-fight-to-establish-team-20120624-20wj3.html#ixzz1ykgHdUPy

Personally seems a little gimmicky and fake to just try and rename the stands during their season, each to their own I guess.

BodyNovo
25-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Lucas neill to Blackburn? Surely not. They despise him don't they?

can confirm this is true. he said he would only leave for a bigger club and when he went to west ham (who finished below rovers that year) for the $$$$ instead of liverpool they were gutted.

we could do a lot worse with kewell in our side.

as long as steve kean is there kewell will probably play left back.

Jeterpool
25-06-2012, 10:48 AM
It wouldn't suprise me if HK stayed in England with Championship side who had ambitions of the Prem.

It would be interesting to see how he physically holds up. His A-League season was hardly arduous. Scheduling could brinig about recurrence of his old injuries.

But he needs that level to keep an eye on Brazil WC

Jetmaster
25-06-2012, 10:53 AM
So there is now no reason that the Andrew Johns Stand not become the Joel Griffiths Stand in the summer ?

MFKS
25-06-2012, 01:17 PM
It wouldn't suprise me if HK stayed in England with Championship side who had ambitions of the Prem.

It would be interesting to see how he physically holds up. His A-League season was hardly arduous. Scheduling could brinig about recurrence of his old injuries.
But he needs that level to keep an eye on Brazil WC

HK is gonna get the shit kicked out of him at Championship level if thats where he goes. Can't understand the logic of going back to English Football for an injury riddled player in the twilight of his career. As far as Brazil 2014 goes. If HK makes it to Brazil in any capacity other than a pundit or a tourist the FFA need shooting as their development programs in the last 10 years have failed that we are still relying on players of his age.

I would offer he would struggle to make a starting lineup in a Socceroos XI right now if all players were fit and available and the Manager wasn't picking players based on some type of tactical initiative

Jetmaster
25-06-2012, 01:29 PM
It's because of his missus Harry went to MV in the first place - we know who wears the pants there.

parksey
25-06-2012, 01:53 PM
love west sydney's badge.

GazFish35
25-06-2012, 01:54 PM
His mother in law is on her death bed and Aussies stick the boot in.
Gotta ove that tall poppy syndrome that keeps some of the best from returning.

Jeterpool
25-06-2012, 02:18 PM
love west sydney's badge.
Agree. It's a very "football" badge, classic in design. They have a good playing strip too!

Grimario
25-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Agree. It's a very "football" badge, classic in design. They have a good playing strip too!

Was going to say the same thing... it's traditional football, not "let's be a bunch of edgy wankers and call ourselves Heart" design. Strip is luverly, looks like Flamengo or Sport Recife from Brazil. Love it.

(****s)

Pico
26-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Hoop dreams finally realised as new club shows true colours
Sebastian Hassett
June 26, 2012

Unveiled ... the Western Sydney Wanderers FC kit. Photo: Brendan Esposito

UNTIL yesterday, the A-League's newest club was barely three months away from their first game and still without a name, colours, players and a home ground.

At least the first three parts of the equation have been solved. Western Sydney Wanderers are official, and their colours will be expressed in a red-and-black hooped jersey with white shorts.

As of day one, the club has three players in its squad, with Aaron Mooy, Tarek Elrich and Kwabena Appiah-Kubi all locked in. Either today or tomorrow, a further handful will be announced. By the end of the week, at least eight players are expected to be formally confirmed before the club's maiden training session next Tuesday.

An unexpected question mark opened up over the Wanderers' home venue yesterday when the club's executive chairman, Lyall Gorman, denied that the deal to host most games at Parramatta Stadium had been done. The sticking point is thought to be how many matches will be played at other venues.

''In choosing this iconic venue … to launch this club, I'm also pleased to announce we'll play some games here,'' Gorman said cautiously. ''We're in the middle of discussions with [Parramatta Stadium Trust director] Luke Coleman and the venue. We're very excited about the prospect of consolidating a partnership with them and we look forward to our first game here on October 6 against the Central Coast Mariners.''

The club's logo is sure to be a talking point. Formed in the monogram style favoured by teams with decades of history, Gorman said he was confident it would be well-received by fans - as would the name and the colours.

''The name 'Western Sydney Wanderers' was clearly the most popular choice and the colours were fully endorsed as being representatives of the associations and clubs who have, for so long, served … football in this region,'' he said.

With the club's identity settled, the biggest question is how it will fill the rest of the squad. Wanderers coach Tony Popovic returned from holiday last week to formally secure the signatures of several players.

''There's eight so far, obviously the three you've seen so far, and in the next couple of days, we'll announce the other five - but that's obviously not enough to make up a team or a squad,'' he said. ''There's still a lot to do but it's not really a problem. There's a process we're trying to follow and, instead of getting numbers, we want to get the right players.''

Popovic said he wanted the bulk of his squad formalised by August, believing two months would be sufficient time to put his mark on the team.

''Come October 6, we'll have our squad finalised, I've got no doubt about that, and we'll be very competitive in our first game,'' he said. ''It feels a long way from that at the moment but I've got no doubt we'll have a competitive team on the park.''

Asked if he felt handicapped by Football Federation Australia's decision not to let the club sign a marquee player, he was pragmatic.

''From day one, my understanding has been that we won't have a marquee and I've got no issue with that at all,'' he said.

Of the three players signed, the biggest buzz came about the acquisition of Appiah-Kubi - who was a former ballboy at Parramatta Power.

The 20-year-old from Merrylands was on the books of the Central Coast Mariners' youth team last season and was regarded as the next big thing.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/hoop-dreams-finally-realised-as-new-club-shows-true-colours-20120625-20yhg.html#ixzz1yqXqMomr

What will the mariners do for youth now they won't have west Sydney all to themselves.

Pico
26-06-2012, 08:31 AM
There's not much time to wander from task at hand
Michael Cockerill
June 26, 2012

http://images.smh.com.au/2012/06/25/3403952/art-646525994-420x0.jpg

Old soccer meets new football … Western Sydney Wanderers, the A-League's 10th team, were officially launched yesterday at Parramatta Stadium. Photo: Brendan Esposito

Old is new again. The A-League's next team will proudly carry the burden of history into a future fraught with challenges. Yesterday, on a sun-kissed winter's day, that horizon began to take shape with the official unveiling of the name, logo and colours. Western Sydney Wanderers is the name of the competition's 10th team, who will sport an orthodox logo on the breast of an eye-catching shirt of red and black horizontal stripes virtually identical to that of Brazil's most famous team, Flamengo. They sound, and look, like a proper football team, rather than a creation of some marketing shyster having a mid-life crisis. For those who understand, and respect, tradition, that comes as a great relief.

Not that long ago, of course, Football Federation Australia were prepared to go to extraordinary lengths to distance themselves from the game's sometimes chequered past. Suddenly they're keen to embrace it. A team called Wanderers played in the first recorded game of football in NSW in 1880. That match was played just a few kilometres from Parramatta Stadium, where yesterday's launch was held, and where the team is likely to play the bulk of its matches. The symbolism was no accident. Lyall Gorman, who is the club's inaugural executive chairman, told a packed gallery that ''we feel a huge responsibility to honour our history … and show respect for those who have been pioneers''.

You get the sense he means it. Gorman, football operations manager John Tsatsimas, head coach Tony Popovic, assistant coach Ante Milicic and goalkeeping coach Ron Corry, are all deeply imbued in ''old soccer'' culture. Perhaps, at last, we'll get an A-League club run, and built, by people with skin in the game. That these people are being employed by the FFA, who are bankrolling the club, suggests Whitlam Square has finally learnt the error of their ways. The charm offensive continued when the Wanderers hierarchy met with local NSW Premier League clubs straight after the launch. To this point, there's a welcome mood of co-operation.

For all that, it's going to be a tough baptism. The Greater Western Sydney Giants got a two-year lead-in, and have the security of a drip-feed of about $20 million per year for the next 10 years from the AFL. The Wanderers get a six-month lead-in, and a one-season guarantee of just $6 million from the FFA. Despite the enormous disparity, no one is expecting much from the Giants for the foreseeable future, while everyone expects the Wanderers to hit the ground running. Why? Because AFL, as a sport, is effectively in a start-up phase in Sydney's western suburbs. Football, by contrast, has huge participation numbers, and a long history in the region.

Western Sydney may be getting its first A-League team, but it's a mature, and demanding, market for the sport, and the benchmarks will have to be high - shoestring budget or not. Western Sydney may be the heartland of football, but it can be a cold heart if things don't go right. Among those who attended the launch was a man who bravely admitted to having once been a Parramatta Power supporter. That's the team which was funded for five years by nearby Parramatta Leagues Club, ended up playing before crowds of barely 1000, and died a merciful death after losing the last NSL grand final in 2004, having dropped a cool $15 million in the process. If the Wanderers needed reminding of the price of failure, the ghosts of the Power were thick in the air.

The FFA, you sense, realise the margin for error isn't in their favour. Principally, they need to create a club within a short space of time that credible private investors will be willing to take off their hands. The Wanderers don't need to win the league in their debut season, but they need to be in the finals mix. In that context, you would hope the last phase of their recruiting campaign delivers a bit more inspiration.

The word is Popovic has already filled half his 23-man squad, with Aaron Mooy, Tarek Elrich and Kwabena Appiah-Kubi given the honour of unveiling the playing strip for the first time yesterday. Within the next week, the likes of Mark Bridge, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, Labinot Haliti, Ante Covic, Michael Beauchamp and Shannon Cole will be formally added to the list. It's no judgment, but the fact is most of these players were unwanted by their former clubs. Popovic is believed to have signed two Croatian players during his recent scouting trip to Europe, and it will be interesting to see their pedigree. Somewhere in the process the Wanderers will need to find players to get the turnstiles moving, and the scoreboard ticking. Everyone knows the potential is enormous. Everyone knows the challenge is even bigger. But that's exactly why it's worth it.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/theres-not-much-time-to-wander-from-task-at-hand-20120625-20yhi.html#ixzz1yqYbApTh

Don't see how they can be carrying the burden of history, they have none.

Pico
26-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Jets fuel up for early take-off tomorrow

BY JAMES GARDINER
26 Jun, 2012 08:15 AM

http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/large/1968108.jpg

NEW boys Scott Neville and James Brown are likely to feature in a near-full strength Newcastle Jets outfit for the opening pre-season hit-out against Northern NSW State League leaders Broadmeadow Magic at Wanderers Oval tomorrow tonight.

Captain Jobe Wheelhouse (foot) is the only Jets player unavailable, and assistant coach Craig Deans said they intended to hit the ground running.

‘‘We will pick the best team we can,’’ Deans told the Herald yesterday.

‘‘At this stage an hour minimum would be a reasonable target for them to get through.

‘‘The trial games are there to work on what you are trying to achieve.

‘‘Wednesday is the first game of the new season for us and we need to start showing signs of what we want to achieve come the A-League season.’’

Neville and Brown are the club’s biggest signings to date and are expected to team up on one flank – Neville at right back and Brown on the right of a front three.

The match, which kicks off at 6.30pm under the new lights at Wanderers Oval, is the first of four against local opposition.

They play two games against Northern NSW select teams, to be coached by Damian Smith and Steve Piggott, at Darling St Oval on July 18 and Jack McLaughlan Oval on August 8.

Sandwiched in between is a hit-out against Charlestown City at Lisle Carr Oval on July 25.

The Jets have been in pre-season training for nearly six weeks.

‘‘The first four weeks were more about fitness, although we have worked a bit on the structure because we’ve been using the ball the whole time,” Deans said.

‘‘Last week we looked at breaking the game down again into different aspects.

‘‘Wednesday is a good opportunity to start working on the particular things we’d like to see happen.’’

Contract hopefuls Lee Seung-yong and Josh Mitchell are expected to start at left back and centre-back respectively.

Initially Newcastle-born Mitchell had been training to improve his fitness but the departure of Nikolai Topor-Stanley has created an opportunity.

Deans compared Lee to a young Byun Sung-hwan, who played left back for the Jets last season.

‘‘He is like Byun in a lot of ways,’’ Deans said.

‘‘He is strong with both feet, technically he is good, his passing is good, his understanding of the game is good, his language is a bit of an issue, but that is something we can work through.

‘‘We just need to see him in a game situation. Hopefully Wednesday we get to see a bit more of him.’’

Apart from a host of fresh faces, the Jets will also unveil a tweaked formation, playing a 4-1-2-3 rather than the twin screeners they used last season in a 4-2-3-1 shape.

‘‘We have been looking at one holding midfielder with two in front, which gives you more options going forward and a bit more flexibility,’’ Deans said.

‘‘We want to play a game where we have the majority of the ball and are able to create goal-scoring opportunities.’’

Jets likely (4-1-2-3): Ben Kennedy; Scott Neville, Tiago, Josh Mitchell, Lee Seung-yong; Ben Kantarovski; Ruben Zadkovich, Jacob Pepper; James Brown, Michael Bridges, Ryan Griffiths

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/jets-fuel-up-for-early-takeoff-tomorrow/2602776.aspx?storypage=0

Good to see the club back on talking terms with the herald, last thing you need is to isolate the club from the local media, even if that media happens to have RD.

Pico
26-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Mills trusts in loyal Jets fans

BY JAMES GARDINER
26 Jun, 2012 04:00 AM

DEVOTED Jets fan Toby Mills felt like someone had punched him in the stomach when news broke that Nathan Tinkler had relinquished the club’s A-League licence in April.

Mills was working at a nursing home in Beecroft in north-west Sydney when he saw a television report outline the developments.

‘‘I felt sick,’’ the 21-year-old recalled.

‘‘It was as though someone had punched me in the guts.

‘‘We were re-signing players one day and the next day he was handing the licence back.’’

Desperate for his club to survive, Mills put into action a plan for a supporters’ trust he had been working on for 18months.

Three weeks later Tinkler, after receiving a number of concessions from Football Federation Australia, reaffirmed his commitment to fund the Jets for the remaining eight years of the term of his licence.

Despite Tinkler’s about face, Mills has forged ahead with his plans and will hold a public forum about the supporter’s trust at Newcastle Town Hall next Monday at 7pm.

‘‘The room seats 800 and hopefully we can fill it up with people interested in forming a supporters’ trust,’’ Mills said.

‘‘I’m hoping to lock in some key speakers from the likes of Northern NSW Football, local councillors and people interested in football.

‘‘We may not have a stake in the club but it is important that the fans have a unified voice.

‘‘Currently Nathan Tinkler has eight years to run on the licence and he might keep it for another 10 after that.

‘‘But there is no guarantees. It is about putting things in place so that in eight years time or 10 years time or even next year, if he decides to pull the pin, there is something there.

‘‘If Tinkler does stay there and we don’t take a direct stake in the club, the trust is there to support it.

‘‘Just like there is a union for workers, this would be a union for supporters. We would speak with one voice and make sure we are heard.’’

Mills has been supporting the Jets since their inception and came up with the idea for a trust when former owner Con Constantine ran into financial difficulties.

‘‘When Con’s issues came up I started the process of researching and writing things down, highlighting different examples of ownership models,’’ Mills said.

‘‘I think the idea of fans owning the club or having involvement is such an important thing.’’

Mills has put together a 16-page draft for a supporters’ trust which is inspired by lower-tier English clubs Exeter City and Brentford, where fans buy a share in the club.

‘‘I have looked at a lot of supporters’ trusts and supporter ownership structures and have basically taken bits and pieces which I think would really suit Newcastle,’’ he said.

‘‘Those plans will be outlined at the forum.

‘‘We will probably ask for a show of hands to see if their is support for it and there will be pledge forms available at the end.

‘‘Hopefully we will get a few volunteers to form a working committee which will work towards registering the trust as an organisation.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/mills-trusts-in-loyal-jets-fans/2602531.aspx?storypage=0

Good to see the herald getting the word out about the trust.

MFKS
26-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Herald are interested in any alternatives to HSG and Tinks who they have axes to grind against so it is no surprise

Jeterpool
26-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Herald are interested in any alternatives to HSG and Tinks who they have axes to grind against so it is no surprise

Why say this MFKS? What has Tinks done to them? I must have missed something.

coastiehater
26-06-2012, 03:16 PM
So where to now for Victory?

Postecoglou admits he has to revisit his recruitment policy, turning his attention from filling the overseas marquee vacancy with a defender to now having something in the vicinity of $1million to play with for an attacking option.

So Victory have gone from juggling Hernandez and Kewell to having neither of them. Postecoglou loses one headache – he would have seen succeeding with Kewell as one of his key objectives and challenges at the club – but gets a new one.

The two-time grand final winning coach acknowledged the "responsibility" he has to bring in a player to excite the crowds and bring something to the league.

Postecoglou showed at Brisbane he has a keen eye for overseas talent.

Can he find someone to fill the box office?

Perhaps the sign of Kewell’s void is the catalogue of potential Aussies abroad who could replace him. Joel Griffiths, Nathan Burns or Mile Sterjovski, are some to have been mentioned. They are all excellent A-League graduates and quality options for Postecoglou to work with.

But none of them is Harry Kewell. By name, or nature.

coastiehater
26-06-2012, 03:16 PM
that was on fox sports sorry

pv4
26-06-2012, 03:27 PM
since when has sterj ever been considered a-league graduate, and a-league quality?

robnuts
26-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Jets revel in young talent time

Newcastle Jets will unleash a set of gifted young players who are destined for national stardom when the eighth season of the A-League starts in October, according to chief executive Robbie Middleby.
Topor-Stanley jets offCulina settles dispute with Jets and FFAJets swoop for CooperTinkler and FFA kiss and make upJets chief tells of week from hell
The club has released several established players in Francis Jeffers, Jeremy Brockie, Tarek Elrich, Ali Abbas, Labinot Haliti, Kasey Wehrman, Byun Sung-Hwan and Nikolai Topor-Stanley since the end of last campaign, when it missed out on a finals spot in the last round of the regular season.

But the development of 17-year-old Joeys captain Connor Chapman and the acquisition of promising James Brown, Mitch Cooper, Adam Taggart, Mitchell Oxborrow, Scott Neville, Craig Goodwin and Josh Brillante has Newcastle's management rubbing its collective hands in expectation of another positive season.

"We've got an exciting mix of experienced and young players," Middleby said.

"I know that many people are saying we have too many young players but I tell you we have got some of the best talented young footballers in the country.

"Brown, Taggart, Chapman are future stars, no doubt about that.

"And they also have the right character for our club and the culture we are trying to establish.

"They are working their socks off in pre-season."

The Jets begin their pre-season trials on Wednesday night with a clash against Northern NSW State League leaders Broadmeadow Magic, with only skipper Jobe Wheelhouse (foot) unavailable.

"Gary Van Egmond wants the team to be super fit and super agile and that's what's happening at the moment," Middleby explained.

"I expect us to make the top six... not least to repay our supporters who have always been loyal to us."

Three months since the club was clinically dead after owner Nathan Tinkler sensationally relinquished his A-League licence, the Jets are determined to make the most of a second chance after the mining magnate later reaffirmed his commitment to the Hunter club.

"We are in the top group of supporters in the competition and we have the second highest membership behind Melbourne Victory," Middleby said.

"We had an average gate of 12,000 last season and I would be happy if we get the same again this season.

"Remember, we were just about dead only a few months ago so we are determined to make the most of this second chance that was given to us.

"If Tinkler did not come back the club would have been finished so we can't blow it now.

"That's the way management and the coaching staff feel. Everybody wants success here."

Middleby said the club was putting in a lot of work behind the scenes to establish a respectable culture designed to attract more quality players to the Hunter.

"The beauty of it is that young and not-so-young players these days are keen to come to Newcastle because of what we're trying to do here," he said.

"Young players believe in our set-up centred on technical staff and medical support and the culture we are creating at the club.

"They must really believe that Newcastle has the right set-up for them to develop their potential and become stars and this is why they have chosen the Jets over other clubs."

Newcastle kicks off its A-League season with a home match against Adelaide United on Sunday 7 October.

GazFish35
26-06-2012, 04:33 PM
So when all these superstars get called for national team duties who gets to play? Will anyone be left?

q-money
26-06-2012, 04:42 PM
baz can play

OmeletteDuFromage
26-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Pretty intrigued with this Lee Soung Yong. Hopefully isnt like our last Korean trialist.

la bazzle
26-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Keen for a kick

furns
27-06-2012, 01:13 AM
Why say this MFKS? What has Tinks done to them? I must have missed something.because it's true

Blackmac79
27-06-2012, 07:20 AM
because it's true

exactly. The HSG have put a don't talk banner around the herald for all players and staff of the Jets. Any articles coming out about them have pre-approved press release comments in them.

Jeterpool
27-06-2012, 07:39 AM
because it's true

exactly. The HSG have put a don't talk banner around the herald for all players and staff of the Jets. Any articles coming out about them have pre-approved press release comments in them.

Cheers boys. I wasn't challenging MFKS, just asking the question.

I guess I hadn't really paid that much attention to it in the past, but will look at it closer now. Nice heads up.

pv4
27-06-2012, 07:41 AM
it's only been over the last week or two. just search through herald articles for that period, and most of them will say "robbie middleby, gve & players were unavailable to comment/unable to comment".

MFKS
27-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Why say this MFKS? What has Tinks done to them? I must have missed something.

The hack of a journo Dillon in his infinite wisdom wrote an article in a Saturday Newy Herald about 2 weeks ago that basically played on disenfranchised Knights and Jets supporters. There was no great revelations but just a summary of HSG's negative actions involving their dealings with the Knights and Jets. All it was doing was giving him a chance to grind his axe as there has been an uneasy relationship recently between HSG and Herald. The timing of it was when the Knights fans were in the depths of despair with 4 or so gutless pathetic losses in a row and the wounds of Tinks pull out of the HAL fresh in Jets memories. The only intent of the article would be to encourage fans of these teams to turn against HSG.

Not exactly wonderful timing when the Jets were about to start their Membership drive. HSG responded by sending out an email to all their members replying to the Heralds claims. Unfortunately HSG chose to also rewrite history with their version of it which was a pretty poor move in my opinion. HSG also then banned staff and players from talking to Newy Herald. Only selected news bits have been coming out of HSG via Middleby and GVE and Bennett have barely spoken to the Herald since

q-money
27-06-2012, 11:19 AM
member for kfc...it went the other way around - HSG sent the email out first, dillon's article came after

i thought it was pretty good, for the record, onya big dillz

Jetmaster
27-06-2012, 11:21 AM
True - but I understood that HSG's email was pre-emptive. They knew what the Herald was putting out the next morning.

MFKS
27-06-2012, 11:27 AM
member for kfc...it went the other way around - HSG sent the email out first, dillon's article came after

i thought it was pretty good, for the record, onya big dillz

Depends how you done it. I already read the shit in the Herald before I read HSG's email so that's my version of history and I am sticking to it:rolleyes:

furns
27-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Good for us though because we were able to ask the questions we wanted to ask for the podcast. Which were answered.

pv4
27-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Good for us though because we were able to ask the questions we wanted to ask for the podcast. Which were answered.

i eagerly await the answers about griff. and e&c jerseys.

Pico
27-06-2012, 11:42 AM
The hack of a journo Dillon in his infinite wisdom wrote an article in a Saturday Newy Herald about 2 weeks ago that basically played on disenfranchised Knights and Jets supporters. There was no great revelations but just a summary of HSG's negative actions involving their dealings with the Knights and Jets. All it was doing was giving him a chance to grind his axe as there has been an uneasy relationship recently between HSG and Herald. The timing of it was when the Knights fans were in the depths of despair with 4 or so gutless pathetic losses in a row and the wounds of Tinks pull out of the HAL fresh in Jets memories. The only intent of the article would be to encourage fans of these teams to turn against HSG.

Not exactly wonderful timing when the Jets were about to start their Membership drive. HSG responded by sending out an email to all their members replying to the Heralds claims. Unfortunately HSG chose to also rewrite history with their version of it which was a pretty poor move in my opinion. HSG also then banned staff and players from talking to Newy Herald. Only selected news bits have been coming out of HSG via Middleby and GVE and Bennett have barely spoken to the Herald since

Thing is I've always found James Gardner's articles to be quality, every now and then he brings up some things I'm sure the club would rather brush under the carpet, but generally I find his jets reporting balanced, it is really only dillion that has the axe to grind. To me it makes no sense to put the entire herald on ice, just do what con did and ban dillion from everything, the clubs & the herald need each other more then either is willing to admit.

GazFish35
27-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Kevin Cranson FTW

MFKS
27-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Thing is I've always found James Gardner's articles to be quality, every now and then he brings up some things I'm sure the club would rather brush under the carpet, but generally I find his jets reporting balanced, it is really only dillion that has the axe to grind. To me it makes no sense to put the entire herald on ice, just do what con did and ban dillion from everything, the clubs & the herald need each other more then either is willing to admit.

Agree with your comments about James Gardiner. He at least brings up the negatives in a respectful way. Dillon on the other hand comes across as an immature try hard pining for a gig at the Daily Terrorgraph with his writing style. Far too many journos let their biased views cloud their writing and Dillon is one of them

Jeterpool
27-06-2012, 12:21 PM
I agree. I actually stopped reading anything Dillon writes, which is why I missed the article.

I will read what Gardner says though. Agree he is more balanced and I think he has better knowledge of the game as well.

goaliepersempre
27-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Socceroo Chipperfield quits professional sport
ADAM COOPER
27 Jun, 2012 09:58 AM

Former Socceroo Scott Chipperfield has announced his retirement from professional football, scuttling hopes he might have joined new A-League club Western Sydney Wanderers.

Chipperfield, 36, had indicated recently he planned to return from Switzerland to play with his junior club in Tarrawanna, near Wollongong, and would consider becoming the latest big name to play in Australia's domestic competition.

But he said on Twitter last night he planned to stay in Europe with his family and would now devote his energy to watching his sons play and completing his coaching licences. Chipperfield also has stakes in several racehorses.

"I have decided to retire from pro football & will sign with an amateur team in Basel," Chipperfield said.

"Would have loved to have played for West Syd in there (sic) debut season but due to family reasons I will stay.

"Been lucky to have had a long & successful career. Look forward to a new challenge."

Chipperfield played 68 times for Australia, including the 2006 and 2010 World Cup campaigns, and has played for FC Basel in the Swiss top flight since 2001.

Chippers going back to basel, he got divorced may have seen how hard it would be living over here and the kids back in Switzerland....

Anyways is a true footballing legend. Hopefully he turns out to be a master coach. (Amatuer clubs would love him around basel young boys would surely take him)

Muswellbrookian
27-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Dillon's just a shit-stirrer with a generally negative attitude, much like Foz before his single glimpse of Pep Guardiola in the flesh plunged him into a perpetual state of orgasmic delirium. It's a real shame that HSG has decided to freeze out the entire Herald all because of one idiot.

MFKS
27-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Nail Head Smashed

q-money
27-06-2012, 01:05 PM
what do you want him to do? play the rusty trombone on middleby's date? HSG have made some heinous blunders along with the good stuff they've done, if they want to have a cry over it, so be it. it's not his job to be a sycophant.

MFKS
27-06-2012, 01:23 PM
what do you want him to do? play the rusty trombone on middleby's date? HSG have made some heinous blunders along with the good stuff they've done, if they want to have a cry over it, so be it. it's not his job to be a sycophant.

Don't expect him to be a sycophant to HSG but the least he can do is remain unbiased and without an agenda in his articles.

This article was nothing as it didn't provide any new info to paint HSG in a bad light it was just a summary of HSG's negatives since Tinks took over the Jets in 2011.

Whats the point rehashing old news to stir the pot?? If he had some new revelations on HSG fine share them with the world but to chronicle every mistake HSG have made is pretty average journalism in my eyes.

This article would have more validity if it was posted at a time when HSG had just ****ed up ie. Handing back the HAL Licence not just to stir the pot when their is no real news going on

Couple this with you being able to see straight through Dillon and see that this article has been ready to go for sometime and he just waited for the "right" time when Jets fans opinions on HSG are low and Knights are hitting rock bottom makes for more shoddy journalism.

It also becomes quite apparent that Dillon and HSG or Dillon has had an issue with a HSG rep such as Middleby/Gidley/Palmer/Bennett/GVE in the past and he is using his column in the NH to extract a bit of payback. Shoddy journalism at it's finest.

Any hack journo can write an opinion piece criticizing someone by going through their **** ups. Not rocket science. Stuff like this shouldn't be printed and it is a shame the Editor of the NH didn't send Dillon back to his desk and come up with something better

Muswellbrookian
27-06-2012, 02:01 PM

Of course it's not. But it's not his job to be so relentlessly f*cking depressing, either, or such an abysmal journalist - though come to think of it, he does do a pretty good job of living up to everything journalists seem to be about these days.

Gardiner's hardly a sycophant, yet he still manages to produce more balanced articles with the capacity to acknowledge HSG's flaws while still encouraging enthusiasm for the players among the Herald's readership. This, for me, is what it should all be about. Yes, HSG have been guilty of some "heinous blunders", much like Con of blessed memory - but that's in the past. What's done is done. For now what matters is that we've got a team (however threadbare and callow), we've got a club, and until our portly overlord spits the dummy again we've got a future. Unless Dillon has a genuine reason to feel so aggrieved about a semi-bluff that never eventuated or valid information regarding a shocking exposé that actually needs to be made, isn't it time for him to start trying to focus on the positives for once? I'm not endorsing HSG's reaction by any means - they've shown their petulance again with this decision to shut out the journos - but the issue that Dillon's a sneering, self-serving git who has never done a constructive thing for sport in Newcastle still stands. The sooner he decides to pack up and relocate elsewhere (preferably Antarctica), the better.

pv4
27-06-2012, 02:05 PM
i find at least one massive error in gardiner's articles everytime i read one. yesterday he wrote that the game was last night v broadmeadow (when it's actually tonight), when the draw came out he said the first time we play sydney is away in round 6 (when actually that's WESTERN sydney, we play sydney away in round 2). dude might be ok at keeping unbiased, but he needs a proof-reader for most of his articles.

Skirt Boy
27-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Do you seriously expect anybody at the Herald do give a dam about quality at the moment?

Muswellbrookian
27-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Do you seriously expect anybody at the Herald do give a dam about quality at the moment?

Probably not.

Anyway, back to the really important issue: sign Griff and somebody older than twelve. Thanks Gary.

GazFish35
27-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Will try

MFKS
28-06-2012, 12:13 AM
i find at least one massive error in gardiner's articles everytime i read one. yesterday he wrote that the game was last night v broadmeadow (when it's actually tonight), when the draw came out he said the first time we play sydney is away in round 6 (when actually that's WESTERN sydney, we play sydney away in round 2). dude might be ok at keeping unbiased, but he needs a proof-reader for most of his articles.

That's just adding more weight to the argument that Newy Herald employs hacks who don't proof read their articles for errors and that the editors are ****ing incompetent

plague
28-06-2012, 11:13 AM
There were direct quotes from BK in a Herald story yesterday.
Can't we all just get along?

WolfMan
28-06-2012, 11:36 AM
From Twitter..

@LawrieMcKinna: Mark jones who was my assistant in chongqing will be announced as assistant coach today at perth glory. Great news for mark well done

So we dodge having him back at the Jets. Great success

Bon
28-06-2012, 11:56 AM
So we dodge having him back at the Jets. Great success

Massive success!!!

la bazzle
28-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Disgrace. Would have led us to glory

seldom
28-06-2012, 02:07 PM
know he's not popular but still a good defensive coach

Pico
29-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Josh Mitchell, Mark Jones cross continent
JOSH LEESON
29 Jun, 2012 04:00 AM

http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/large/1974993.jpg

CENTRAL defender Josh Mitchell completed his return home from Perth yesterday by signing with the Newcastle Jets, while another Novocastrian in Mark Jones flew west to relaunch his stalled coaching career with the Glory.

Mitchell, 28, inked a two-year contract with the Jets after impressing coach Gary van Egmond at training and in Wednesday night’s 3-1 trial win over Northern NSW State League leaders Broadmeadow Magic at Wanderers Oval.

Mitchell had arrived at Jets training simply to lose weight and regain fitness while staying with his parents at Caves Beach.

But after the departure of No.1 centre back Nikolai Topor-Stanley on Friday, his stint at Jets training began a full-blown trial.

The Jets would not allow Mitchell to comment to the Newcastle Herald yesterday about his return to his home-town club.

The Swansea junior last played in Newcastle in the final season of the old National Soccer League in 2004 and since then has had stints with Romanian club Universitatea Craiova and the Glory.

Jones flew to Western Australia yesterday to begin work today as an assistant to Glory coach Ian Ferguson. He will oversee football technique, conditioning and video analysis.

The Novocastrian will be joined by former Glasgow Rangers defender Stuart Munro, who has re-signed as Ferguson’s senior assistant.

Jones, 46, was once anointed by former owner Con Constantine as a future Jets boss, and he has been desperate to return to coaching in the A-League since he was sacked by ex-Jets coach Branko Culina in 2010.

During the past two years Jones has coached at Malaysian Super League club Sabah with former Jets W-League coach Gary Phillips and worked for five months with former Central Coast boss Lawrie McKinna at Chinese club Chongqing Lifan FC.

In between he even worked as a site supervisor for building company GJ Gardner Homes.

‘‘I’ve always kept in contact with Fergie and when the gig came up he went in to bat for me,’’ he said.

On two occasions Jones publicly expressed his desire to return to the Jets when the youth team coaching position was vacant.

The most recent occasion was in May when Arthur Pappas left the Jets to coach the Indian under-22 team.

Jones, who was the assistant in the Jets title-winning 2007-08 campaign, remains friends with van Egmond but he never received any interest from club owners, the Hunter Sports Group.

www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/josh-mitchell-mark-jones-cross-continent/2607226.aspx

good signing, hopefully we now have plenty of cash for our #9 & #10, griff & flores would be nice club.

GazFish35
30-06-2012, 08:55 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/english-teams-eye-mariners-star-ryan-20120629-217zf.html

Mat Ryan off to try his luck in UK.
Mariners think Pasfield can stp up..... Hahahahahaha

CENTRAL COAST MARINERS have received an approach from English Championship side Burnley for their outstanding young goalkeeper Mat Ryan, who could start a trial at Turf Moor as early as next week.
Ryan, 20, has had a meteoric rise since bursting on the scene two years ago, and is already drawing comparisons to some of Australia's goalkeeping greats.
Ryan, who capped a wonderful domestic season by being named goalkeeper of the year, has also caught the eye of Socceroos coach Holger Osieck, who called him into his squad for a World Cup qualifier against Saudi Arabia in February.
Burnley want Ryan for a two-week trial starting on July 6, but the Mariners have yet to give the green light. Football director Lawrie McKinna said: ''We've had the request, it's not an offer as yet and we're considering it.
''Our only big concern is that he hasn't trained for four weeks, and we want to make sure he's fit enough to go over. If he's underdone, you risk an injury, and we don't want that.''
Ryan has a British passport, and if things don't work out at Burnley, his management wants to take him for further trials at Ipswich Town, Bristol City and West Bromwich Albion.
The Mariners start their pre-season training early next month, and losing Ryan would be a huge blow for last season's minor premiers. At this stage, it's likely to require an offer of at least $500,000 to prise him away, even though he is heading into the final year of his contract.
Ryan has been a huge part of the Mariners success story under Graham Arnold, although understudy Justin Pasfield is also highly regarded by the club and a ready-made replacement.
In other A-League news, former Adelaide United youth coach Joe Mullen is tipped to join former Croatian international Joey Didulica on the new-look coaching staff at Melbourne Heart under rookie head coach John Aloisi. Mullen and Aloisi were briefly teammates in the old NSL at Adelaide City.
Elsewhere, former Melbourne Victory favourite Carlos Hernandez has sealed a move to ambitious Indian side Prayag United. The Costa Rican international fell out with Victory management towards the end of last season, and was unveiled by his I-League side in Kolkata yesterday.
''There were several offers from other clubs, but I always wanted to come play in India,'' Hernandez said.
Lambert Park, the historic home ground of NSW Premier League side APIA Leichhardt, will get a $2.2 million facelift after the NSW government this week fulfilled an election promise to upgrade the stadium.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/english-teams-eye-mariners-star-ryan-20120629-217zf.html#ixzz1zE3EXfnT

Good luck to him.
Awesome young keeper.
CCM will struggle to replace him.

Pico
30-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Reluctant Topor-Stanley goes around with West Sydney
BY JAMES GARDINER
30 Jun, 2012 04:00 AM

http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/large/1976648.jpg

FORMER Jets defender Nikolai Topor-Stanley will today be confirmed as the fourth player to sign with new A-League club West Sydney Wanderers.

Topor-Stanley was released from the final year of his contract in Newcastle eight days ago and it had been widely anticipated that he would join former teammate Tarek Elrich, Aaron Mooy and Kwabena Appiah-Kubi at the start-up franchise.

Although he was excited at the opportunity to work under former Socceroos defender Tony Popovic, Topor-Stanley insisted it was not his preference.

‘‘I was comfortable in Newcastle and wanted to be part of a winning team, but it wasn’t meant to be,’’ he told the Herald last night.

‘‘I didn’t want to leave but you have to do what is best for yourself, in terms of your career and where you are going to play your best football. Working with Poppa is something I am looking forward to. He has been capped so many times for Australia and plays my exact position. I should be able to learn a lot from him.’’

There had been speculation over Topor-Stanley’s future – and a number of other senior players – for months.

The Beijing Olympian was the Jets’ player of the year in 2010 and the club fought off a big-money approach from Sydney FC to keep him.

Eighteen months later the 27-year-old was deemed surplus to requirements.

Van Egmond recruited Topor-Stanley from Perth before the 2008 Asian Champions League in his first stint at the Jets, but their relationship has fractured.

‘‘When things weren’t going well on the park, instead of finding a solution and backing the playing group there was a lot of finger pointing and blame placed in the media, which never sat well with me,’’ Topor-Stanley said.

‘‘Rightly or wrongly as it may have been, we should have been united, especially in the public eye, and it never felt that way.’’

One of the Jets’ highest earners on about $250,000 a season, Topor-Stanley’s exit continued a major clean out of senior players.

Topor-Stanley would not outline the details of his departure, but any financial settlement must be included in the $2.35million salary cap.

The Jets’ policy is not to comment on player retention and recruitment.

Former Socceroo Michael Beauchamp is expected to partner Topor-Stanley in the heart of the Wanderers defence.

He will be among a host of player announcements over the next week, including three other former Jets, goalkeeper Ante Covic and strikers Labinot Haliti and Mark Bridge.

The Jets moved quickly to replace Topor-Stanley, signing Newcastle-born defender Josh Mitchell to a two-year deal on Thursday.

www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/reluctant-toporstanley-goes-around-with-west-sydney/2608593.aspx

Seems the eggs man management hasn't got any better.

Pico
30-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Western Wanderers happy to nab former Sydney FC players Michael Beauchamp, Shannon Cole and Mark Bridge

Tyson Otto
The Daily Telegraph
June 30, 2012 12:00AM

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2012/06/29/1226412/798613-shannon-cole-mark-bridge-and-michael-beauchamp.jpg

Shannon Cole, Mark Bridge and Michael Beauchamp

The Western Sydney Wanderers' 3 new signings from Sydney FC, Shannon Cole, Mark Bridge and Michael Beauchamp, all in their new strip. Picture: Mark Evans Source: The Daily Telegraph
Sydney cut Cole, Jamieson, Beauchamp
Western Sydney ready to reveal

A RIVALRY is born. Western Sydney Wanderers' move to sign three players from Sydney FC's 2011-12 roster should guarantee a spicy first-up Sydney derby on October 20.

All three western Sydney products - Michael Beauchamp, midfielder Shannon Cole and striker Mark Bridge - wore the Wanderers red and black hoops yesterday for the first time before beginning pre-season training on Monday.

Bridge was quick to fan the flames of the fledgling rivalry between the A-League's newest club and Sydney FC, saying he wants his defection to the western suburbs to help create an explosive rivalry with his former club.

While Beauchamp and Cole were not offered contracts with Sydney FC beyond the 2011/12 season, Bridge still had a year to run on his contract.

He said yesterday he wants there to be friction between the fans of Sydney's two A-League clubs.

"I'm guessing (the Sydney FC fans) are going to be the same as the Newcastle fans, so every time I touch the ball I'm going to get booed," Bridge said.

"It does make for a good rivalry. I'm not going to lie, the first game I looked for when the draw came out was that one. So it's going to be good and it's going to be explosive leading into that game."

Bridge said the sledging with his former teammates has already begun.

"I've still been talking to a few of them, getting some cheeky, smart arse messages from a few of them," the 26-year-old said.

Beauchamp also expressed regret over his time at FC, saying he felt underdeveloped under former coach Vitezslav Lavicka.

It took only one chat with newly-installed Wanderers coach Tony Popovic to persuade him to make the move west.

Beauchamp, Cole and Bridge all said the presence of Popovic was the main reason they took a gamble on joining a club that is yet to find a training base or sign a full roster.

"Last year, I felt like I wasn't being coached and I felt that I hadn't been as confident as I had been three or four years ago and I truly believe that under Poppa I can get that back this year," Beauchamp said.

Bridge, who grew up in St Marys, said representing western Sydney was also a huge draw card.

"I'm a Westy through and through, mate," he said.

geez talk about in his head, the bloke honestly can't get over his booing, what did he think was going to happen.

WSW also look to be trying to assemble a SFC / Jets rejects team, all they need now is to get disco.

GazFish35
30-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Seems the eggs man management hasn't got any better.

I read those comments as NTS commenting about when he first arrived.
I've also heard that many good managers are egostical ****sticks, but when they get a squad of players who do as they're told good things happen.... Spose we'll have to wait and see, with so many new kids on the block GVE can say its no longer "not his squad"

Cue the Step 1 jokes!

q-money
30-06-2012, 10:23 AM
geez talk about in his head, the bloke honestly can't get over his booing, what did he think was going to happen.
it's too easy to wind this bloke up. i almost want him back playing for us for the sheer comedy value.

Jetmaster
30-06-2012, 10:47 AM
WSW undertandably has a patchwork feel to it. All players signed or linked are unwanted or not good enough for their previous clubs (Mooy perhaps an exception). Could be a good thing in terms of team spirit, but they are unwanted for good reasons.

They need to get a couple of good ones on board, which I'm sure they will be trying to do.

Games against us and Smurfs will be entertaining.

MFKS
30-06-2012, 11:04 AM
WSW recruitment issues are gonna be hamstrung by the FFA's expansion efforts. By letting the world know a club will be starting up in 6 months time and then having to start from scratch after 90% of HAL players have resigned has left them with the trash and a few rookies.

Also if you are a player with a bit of class why would you wish to join a club that will struggle for a season or two before coming good??

The formation of the club comes across as a knee jerk reaction to cover Clive Palmer and the Gold Coast mess. A properly planned entry with 18-24 months notice would see a much more competitive and organised franchise enter

I honestly see hard times a ahead for the WSW over the next year or two and it will be interesting to see how many of these Westies continue to support a club that ain't winning once the honeymoon period for them ends.

Judging by the Westies efforts with their NRL sides I can't see WSW being that popular if they don't win.

Classic Band wagoners

The Dunster
30-06-2012, 12:34 PM
I didn't boo Weak Ankles because he was a former Newcastle Player. I did it because he's a useless fat khunt.

Tommyjet
30-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Thought topor had more class than that.

parksey
30-06-2012, 01:10 PM
I don't think he said anything out of order.

GazFish35
30-06-2012, 01:36 PM
If he was on 250k, he was not carrying his weight.

Muswellbrookian
30-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Judging by the Westies efforts with their NRL sides I can't see WSW being that popular if they don't win.

Classic Band wagoners

Like most Australian sports fans, really.

militiamon
30-06-2012, 02:16 PM
I just remembered one of the funnier bits of news from when the forum was down.

Belinda Neal chased for soccer club tax debt

THE tax office is pursuing former federal MP Belinda Neal for a $1.4million debt.

The debt has nothing to do with Ms Neal’s personal finances.

Instead, the Deputy Commissioner of Taxation has singled out Ms Neal to sue personally over a tax debt owed by the Central Coast Mariners Football Club.

For six years Ms Neal was a director of the Mariners, the A-league minor premiers for the past two years, until her resignation in November.

In choosing to pursue Ms Neal, the tax office ignored her five male co-directors at the time.

This has forced Ms Neal to commence her own legal action, cross-suing the Mariners along with its chairman Peter Turnbull, England-based property developer and co-owner Kevin McCabe, part-owner Michael Charlesworth, director and Wyong mayor Bob Graham and former director Lyall Gorman, executive chairman of the A-League.

Mariners chairman Peter Turnbull said yesterday the club had been ‘‘negotiating and working with the tax office’’ and he expected the matter to be resolved soon.

Mr Turnbull said he did not know why Ms Neal had been singled out by the tax office.

A statement of claim tendered in the NSW Supreme Court claims the defendant, Belinda Jane Neal, ‘‘was at the relevant times a director of the company’’. As such, she became liable to pay the tax office a total of $1.2million tax. With penalties and filing fees, the total amount being claimed is $1,447,639.

Ms Neal did not return the Herald’s calls and her solicitor Michael Osborne, the former NSW president of the Liberal party, declined to comment.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/belinda-neal-chased-for-soccer-club-tax-debt/2577436.aspx

lululul

Anyone know if this is resolved yet?

plague
30-06-2012, 02:21 PM
I didn't boo Weak Ankles because he was a former Newcastle Player. I did it because he's a useless fat khunt.

Gospel.

Grunta
30-06-2012, 02:53 PM
With regard to WSW collecting all this dead wood once you light a fire under dead wood it burns pretty hot so they will be very interesting to watch in their first few matches. Whether they can maintain the heat will be a totally different matter.

A lot of their players will have a lot to prove. So it will be fun to watch them kick the shite out of the smurfs. Bit of luck they will pick up injuries.

hawk
30-06-2012, 07:56 PM
and the shite out of us

Pico
02-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Jets surpass 4k Members

http://static.ffa.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/article/00047925-leadimage.jpg

The Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets has reached its 4000th Member on Monday morning, in just the second week of the 2012/13 Membership Campaign.

This year the Club is aiming to build its Membership to 11,000 on the back of its successful 10,000 Membership target last season.

The Club is thrilled with the response of the Hunter community and the Jets are well positioned to have one of the biggest Memberships in the A-League.

Last year, the Jets had the second biggest Membership in the A-League, behind only Melbourne Victory.

The 2012/13 Membership packages offer the same affordable prices as last season. Plus there are great benefits for Members, including the incredible Junior Pack!

Community Reserved Membership start from $115 Adult, $60 Junior and $260 Families.

www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-surpass-4k-Members/47925

Decent start, but I guess a few of those would be the auto renewals.

Blackmac79
02-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Never trust whole numbers. Club is lying.

robnuts
02-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Griffiths open to Jets return

Australian striker Joel Griffiths revealed he could be heading back to the A-League next season – with former club Newcastle Jets his preferred destination.
Griffiths relishing Drogba link-up
Griffiths, who was player of the year and golden boot with 12 goals as Newcastle won the title in 2008, is enduring a frustrating fourth year in China with new club Shanghai Shenhua – the home of Didier Drogba – which is in free-fall.

To make matters worse, Griffiths has been plagued by a niggling knee injury and hasn't played for two months.

He joined big-spending Shanghai, which also snared brooding Frenchman Nicolas Anelka pre season, after three successful years at high flying Beijing Guoan.

Griffiths has been linked with a return to his former stomping ground in China but insists he is unlikely to be going anywhere until his contract expires in December, with the A-League foremost in his thinking beyond that.

"Returning to Australia at the end of my contract is definitely a strong possibility," Griffiths said. "My wife and I have talked about it lately and it’s certainly on the cards.

"I have been in China four years year and it's been a great adventure but it’s a long time and I am more than open to the prospect of coming home.

"I've said I want to return to Australia at some stage with my family and I can see a move happening sooner rather than later.

"If it happens, the Jets would be my first choice. Hopefully the fact I'm a proven scorer, somebody who can get maybe 10 a season, would work in my favour and make me attractive to teams."

Still a cult figure at the Jets, Griffiths, who turns 33 next month, still believes he has plenty to offer prospective suitors.

"Obviously I can also play on the right wing, which I have been doing with Shanghai in the games I've played so far this season, not that's its necessarily my preference," he said.

"My body feels good, I'm in good shape overall. I do quite a bit of pilates and have never had any major injuries. Touch wood, I will hopefully to able to play at a good level for another three or four years.

"I am back in training with Shanghai and I am keen to get back playing as soon as I can. That said, it makes no sense to rush things and risk setting myself back.

"Things happen for a reason and I will stay positive and bide my time. It's not serious, it's more of a niggle."

Sidelined for two months with fluid on his left knee, Griffiths – who has scored twice in seven appearances this season – remains a figure of frustration as Shanghai slumps in the Chinese Super League. The club is only two spots above the drop zone, with just 15 points and 11 goals from 14 games this season.

Drogba, not due in China until mid July, is walking in a potential hornets nest in Shanghai, according to Griffiths.

"It's pretty scary over here right now and the club's in a bit of turmoil," he said.

"Nic Anelka even got attacked by one of our on fans after the game at the weekend. That's crazy stuff."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1111838/Griffiths-open-to-Jets-return

pv4
02-07-2012, 02:50 PM
yep

Bon
02-07-2012, 02:53 PM
"My body feels good, I'm in good shape overall. I do quite a bit of pilates and have never had any major injuries. Touch wood, I will hopefully to able to play at a good level for another three or four years.

I think thats what most Jets fans will be doing after reading this article.. :cool:

GazFish35
02-07-2012, 03:17 PM
TWG has been pretty accurate with its linking of players to ws, so hopefully they are right again.

coastiehater
02-07-2012, 03:31 PM
could have warned us before you put that article up. now ive got dirty pants to clean

robnuts
02-07-2012, 03:47 PM
could have warned us before you put that article up. now ive got dirty pants to clean
Haha yeah should have been NSFW

q-money
02-07-2012, 04:06 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/191238/bell_ringer.gif

parksey
02-07-2012, 04:35 PM
good to see the annual "griff wants to come home" article right on time.

pv4
02-07-2012, 04:42 PM
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii553/pv4zanewy/tumblr_lql58ewt451r0u39yo1_500.jpg
bring griff home

la bazzle
02-07-2012, 06:08 PM
The deal is done, Griffs coming home

Pico
03-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Jets sign Swiss defender Dominik Ritter as Joel Griffiths hints at possible return
BY ROBERT DILLON
03 Jul, 2012 04:00 AM

http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/large/1980486.jpg
SWISS DEFENDER: Dominik Ritter

THE Newcastle Jets have moved swiftly to fill the void left by Nikolai Topor-Stanley’s departure, signing Swiss defender Dominik Ritter to a one-year deal.

And former Newcastle legend Joel Griffiths has fuelled speculation about a possible homecoming, telling SBS website The World Game yesterday that the Jets would be his first preference if he was to return from China.

Ritter, pictured, is a former Swiss under-20 representative who played in the under21s for FC Basel and one Europa League match in the first team.

The 23-year-old has spent the past two years playing for FC Winterthur in the Swiss Challenge League (second-tier) competition, making six appearances last season and 19 in 2010-11.

He is the second confirmed overseas import on Newcastle’s roster, joining English veteran Michael Bridges.

“Dominik can play as full-back, which is his preferred position, or a left-side stopper,” Jets coach Gary van Egmond said in a club statement yesterday.

“He has a lot of pace, he will suit our style of play and we will have good competition for spots in the backs.

“He is at a good age to be coming here, he has his best years ahead of him and we look forward to welcoming him to Newcastle and having him at the Jets.”

Topor-Stanley signed with new franchise Western Sydney Wanderers last week, after the Jets persuaded him – via a pay-out – to walk away from the last season of his contract.

Van Egmond added that any more signings ‘‘will be in the front third’’.

That could augur well for Griffiths, who appears to be homesick after four years in China.

He has not played for his new club Shanghai Shenhua for two months because of a knee injury and is off-contract in December.

If he sees out that deal, he could be available to play in the business end of the A-League campaign.

‘‘Returning to Australia at the end of my contract is definitely a strong possibility,’’ Griffiths told The World Game. ‘‘My wife and I have talked about it lately and it’s certainly on the cards.

‘‘I have been in China for four years and it’s been a great adventure, but it’s a long time and I am more than open to the prospect of coming home.

‘‘I’ve said I want to return to Australia at some stage with my family and I can see a move happening sooner rather than later.

‘‘If it happens, the Jets would be my first choice. Hopefully the fact I’m a proven scorer, somebody who can get maybe 10 a season, would work in my favour and make me attractive to teams.’’

www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/jets-sign-swiss-defender-dominik-ritter-as-joel-griffiths-hints-at-possible-return/2610912.aspx

Come home Griff!

So much cover at the back now, how's Goodwin feeling, left heart for a first team spot now this bloke signs up, unless they see him more in the midfield.

GazFish35
03-07-2012, 08:02 AM
In that shot he looks like he could stand to drop 10kg.
Too much of his own product by the looks of it.

http://www.coupondad.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Ritter_Sport_Chocolate.gif

slobsy
03-07-2012, 08:47 AM
he looks like a garn, to be honest

Grunta
03-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Hang on, sign a player in his mid 30s with a dicky knee. Haven't we already done this?

No but seriously HSG should just make this happen, if not to just settle a few hearts that will be racing just at the thought of this happening.

q-money
03-07-2012, 01:31 PM
they satisfied the mongs with resigning bridges, the least they could do for the true fans™ is sign the griff

pv4
03-07-2012, 01:41 PM
they satisfied the mongs with resigning bridges, the least they could do for the true fans™ is sign the griff

the two things that well pissed me off last season on gameday was that bridgey sign getting around, plus the cheer of the mongs when bridges came on as a sub. what has bridges done for us that sash didn't as a sub, and where was sash's roaring applause back in the day?

Bon
03-07-2012, 01:46 PM
the two things that well pissed me off last season on gameday was that bridgey sign getting around, plus the cheer of the mongs when bridges came on as a sub. what has bridges done for us that sash didn't as a sub, and where was sash's roaring applause back in the day?

The main thing I can think of, is that Bridges wasnt a gypo scumbag before coming to us..
Don't get me wrong, I loved Sasho The Mercenary when he was with us, but not everyone forgot his time with Sydney/Coasties..

q-money
03-07-2012, 01:50 PM
sash, the true king of hearts, the battler's prince

bridges played for sydney ffs

pv4
03-07-2012, 02:01 PM
bridges played for sydney & is a yid fan, i can't think of many things worse.

seldom
03-07-2012, 02:06 PM
was hoping Bridges would sign for WS tbh.Unless he's used in a coaching role I don'see why we need him

Bon
03-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah he played for Sydney too.. BUT, the key point here is that he didn't play for the Gypos..

parksey
03-07-2012, 02:38 PM
sash, the true king of hearts, the battler's prince

bridges played for sydney ffs

i don't know how to break this to you, but...

Skirt Boy
03-07-2012, 03:06 PM
bridges played for sydney & is a yid fan, i can't think of many things worse.

Playing for the Smirfs is a blight on his character for sure. But to suggest being a supporter of Spurs in a derogative fashion I find to be a grossly immature statement to make and reflects poorly on ones person.

Jetmaster
03-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Bridgey and R Griff are pals - sacrifices need to be made to bring big Griff home.

russjaybee
03-07-2012, 03:12 PM
is a yid fan, i can't think of many things worse.

Da fuq? Might as well be a coastie. Bridges out.

q-money
03-07-2012, 03:17 PM
i don't know how to break this to you, but...
bridges never scored in the 92nd minute to equalise with a former club afaik

woof woof

pv4
03-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Playing for the Smirfs is a blight on his character for sure. But to suggest being a supporter of Spurs in a derogative fashion I find to be a grossly immature statement to make and reflects poorly on ones person.

i think it was a reflection on how, being a yid fan, he is happy to settle for mediocrity. i believe we are too ambitious for someone of his nature.

does the :gent: symbol work on new foz? if not, sarcasm doesnae exist.

Grunta
03-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Riddle me this batman, why is that every time there is a rumour of Joel coming some supporters immediately go into Bridgey bashing mode?

I only ask because even if the club didn't resign Bridges, Joel would still be in China and we would be still dealing with rumours.

What has one thing got to do with the other?

True supporter?

boz-monaut
03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
simple

love Griff, hate Bridge(s)

Rocky
03-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Bridges and The Griff both top newy blokes. Bridges choice of premier league team and former Sydney days are a blemish but didnt Joel start down in that area as well? Would be ecstatic to have them both on the books.

Jetmaster
03-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Still think some hate Bridges as they hold him responsible for Ljubo leaving.......

Top bloke, loves Newy and will do anything he can for the Jets.

sammydog
03-07-2012, 08:21 PM
I thought bridge showed enough last season to justify a spot, just needs to get fit enough to be considered as a starting spot.

Bridges feeding the brothers Griff, now that would be sweet.

Pico
04-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Corporate push for Flores' return

by:Val Migliaccio From:
The Advertiser July 03, 2012

A GROUP of SA businessmen is willing to help fund Marcos Flores' contract if he rejoins Adelaide United.

Flores has instigated a groundswell of support after he became available when his former Chinese club Henan Jianye cut him loose a fortnight ago.
Adelaide officials declared Flores' wage demand was too high coupled with no room in the salary cap, but corporate SA and Reds fans want all avenues exhausted to bring him back.
Two company directors - Guy D'Arrigo from D'Arrigo Consult and Madee River from Designer Muzik - have expressed desires to assist Adelaide with cash to secure the 2011 Johnny Warren Medallist.

D'Arrigo met interested parties to discuss the idea of signing Flores as part of a corporate entity.

"I want to help Adelaide United bring Marcos Flores back," he said yesterday.
"The concept would be to complement Adelaide United's budget and in tough times we all need a little help."

It's understood an estimated $350,000 is needed per season to secure Flores, with Melbourne Victory and Heart reportedly well advanced in talks to sign Australia's model blueprint for foreign players.
River contacted The Advertiser expressing his interest in helping to bring the Argentinian to Adelaide.
"I'd be embarrassed if we didn't get him back," River said.
"At least we should give it a great shot."

The idea was also met with enthusiasm from Football Federation Australia.
"The idea of private backers funding a marquee player's salary has in-principle support of FFA. It's an avenue that we think clubs should explore," said Kyle Patterson FFA head of corporate affairs and communications.

Since Flores departed for China last year Adelaide's average crowds dipped to levels previously unseen in the history of the club.

Adelaide averaged 8797 fans to its A-League matches last season compared with 11,552 turning up to matches in 2010-11.
Without Flores Adelaide officials w
ere made to balance last season's books with 50,126 less fans at Hindmarsh.

But to re-sign Flores Adelaide would have to reshuffle its salary cap with marquee spots - an option for the playmaker - taken by Serginho van Dijk and Dario Vidosic.
Van Dijk, who was on holidays after revealing he wanted a move away from the club, perhaps summed up his return to Adelaide for the start of pre season training on Monday via twitter.
"Only 2 days before heading back to ADL (Adelaide) #whydoallgoodthingscometoanend," he tweeted next to a display of an unhappy face. Twitter: @val61
www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/soccer/corporate-push-for-flores-return/story-fnddhv0x-1226416182473

$350k sign him up Tinks!

Surely no reason we can't sign him up under the cap.

04-07-2012, 12:21 PM
This would make a good test just to see how serious the Jets are. The guy is proven quality here in HAL and i see no real question marks over fitness or being injury prone.

All IMO of course.

longshot
04-07-2012, 12:24 PM
$350k sign him up Tinks!

Surely no reason we can't sign him up under the cap.

Just offer Flores a few bucks more. I reckon he will take the money. Would be good to pinch him under Adelaides nose. Would be an awesome signing along with Joel and one other super signing for the front third. We must have a few dollars in the bank (and salary cap) now after letting a few go over $150,000.

pv4
04-07-2012, 12:33 PM
letting nts go at 250k, jeffers go at 200k+, i'd imagine tarek would have been mid 100s (by just comparing him to jesic) i can't see any reason why we can't fit flores under the cap.

Guerny
04-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Until i am proven wrong by a signing worth any decent coin, i'm going to assume the jets will field basically a Gold Coast type youth team this season and try to financially break even over the long run. Tinks does NOT care about football and is only trying to highlight to the FFA what a "sustainable" team in the a-league actually looks like.

The up side is that we still have a team to support, love you tinks!

G

russjaybee
04-07-2012, 02:45 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/Victory-sign-Marcos-Flores/47984

Victory sign Marcos Flores

Melbourne Victory have pulled off a coup, signing 2010/11 Johnny Warren Medallist Marcos Flores to a two-year deal as the club’s International Marquee player.

Bon
04-07-2012, 02:48 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/Victory-sign-Marcos-Flores/47984

Melbourne Victory have pulled off a coup, signing 2010/11 Johnny Warren Medallist Marcos Flores to a two-year deal as the club’s International Marquee player.

Fvck..

q-money
04-07-2012, 02:50 PM
lol at anyone who ever thought that he would be coming here. does not have good engines, luxury player, won't stay back at training and do push ups, practice headers

Mitchy
04-07-2012, 02:53 PM
q-mun with the truth bombs

pv4
04-07-2012, 02:56 PM
such a good signing for mv. they just signed a 20yearold promising striker the other day, and ange has made a few unknown foreign signings, so with a cb to eventually get signed they'll be pretty freaking strong this year.

adelaide fans will be close to committing suicide - this is a similar move to if griff came back to the league and signed for the gypos or sydney.

i'm genuinely sick of saying what we need - a number 10 and a number 9. i think we'll look back at not chasing flores hard enough and regret it as much as we can do with smeltz last year.

q-money
04-07-2012, 03:00 PM
good for the competition imo, a strong victory is a strong a-league

packed away games :cool:, going down four blot makes it worth it when the place is rammed

hauss
04-07-2012, 03:06 PM
good for the competition imo, a strong victory is a strong a-league

packed away games :cool:, going down four blot makes it worth it when the place is rammed

Given the way the Jets normally play over the Christmas/New Year period, the Melbourne double header will be one to remember.

hauss
04-07-2012, 03:18 PM
adelaide fans will be close to committing suicide - this is a similar move to if griff came back to the league and signed for the gypos or sydney.

Not quite the same imo. Flores only played for them for one season whereas Joel has been in and out of the Newcastle team most of his career. Flores is more like Nicky Carles move to Sydney which, in the end, nobody here really cared about.

I'm sure they won't be happy but the Griff playing anywhere other than Newcastle is unthinkable.

sh10
04-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Flores is more like Nicky Carles move to Sydney which, in the end, nobody here really cared about.

I still dislike Nicky for moving to Sydney and definitely don't have any affection for him anymore like I used to. Still got a gold jersey with Carle on the back :(

steve136
04-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Until i am proven wrong by a signing worth any decent coin, i'm going to assume the jets will field basically a Gold Coast type youth team this season and try to financially break even over the long run. Tinks does NOT care about football and is only trying to highlight to the FFA what a "sustainable" team in the a-league actually looks like.

G

Spot on. We won't get an attacking midfielder that is anything special. We won't get Griff.
We'll get a cheap, young team that will get hammered and finish last in the comp.

Furns asked middleby my question concerning exactly this. He gave a half-arsed answer about "the future of Australia football" and a "product we'll be proud of."
I don't want to be proud - I want to f*cking win.

Zico
04-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Spot on. We won't get an attacking midfielder that is anything special. We won't get Griff.
We'll get a cheap, young team that will get hammered and finish last in the comp.

Furns asked middleby my question concerning exactly this. He gave a half-arsed answer about "the future of Australia football" and a "product we'll be proud of."
I don't want to be proud - I want to f*cking win.
+1

Zico
04-07-2012, 04:00 PM
A well known recently sacked Jets official is saying that Tinks did a deal with the FFA to keep the club alive until after the TV deal has been struck with Fox and then he will be allowed out of his contract.

This could be taken as sour grapes I know but the same bloke was also very critical of GVE and his methods both on and off the field. He paints a very dire picture for the Jets future.

Grimario
04-07-2012, 04:01 PM

Talk is Spira is going to be announced as the final piece in the jigsaw.

****s.

04-07-2012, 04:05 PM

G

Yep and reckong this will be there biggest hurdle in achieving the 11K membership number. The talk must equel the outcome in regards to signing quality front third players. til then i bet many hold off renewing.

plague
04-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Pffffffftttt.
Sif Sasho ever played for the Gypos.
Some of you blokes............

Grimario
04-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Yep and reckong this will be there biggest hurdle in achieving the 11K membership number. The talk must equel the outcome in regards to signing quality front third players. til then i bet many hold off renewing.

Ed zachary. They are blowing their trumpet that FOUR THOUSAND members have signed up already. If I was running a football club, had 10k season ticket holders one season and come the next season didn't have close to 10k re-signing up in a very short time, I would be pretty disappointed. The Jets releases are all just a bunch of spin.

russjaybee
04-07-2012, 04:37 PM
I think that's a little harsh Grimario, especially when you consider the lack-lustre on field performance last season and ridiculous off-field goings on, already having 4000 members is bloody good if you ask me.
The 10k took some time to get to last season, wouldn't be surprised if it was higher this season and wouldn't be disappointed if it was lower given the circumstances.

Grimario
04-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Yeah, but that means 60% of members who signed up last year haven't signed up again this year (yet).

I know there is a ****ing eternity (plus 3 more eternities, I think) till the season starts but it's not a great showing.

hauss
04-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Yeah, but that means 60% of members who signed up last year haven't signed up again this year (yet).

I know there is a ****ing eternity (plus 3 more eternities, I think) till the season starts but it's not a great showing.

Existing members have until the end of this month to renew their seats, so many won't be in a rush yet. The true picture will be the Membership number after this exclusive period ends.

steve136
04-07-2012, 05:24 PM
It's painfully obvious that cost-cutting is the Jets only objective in the near future.
The writing has been on the wall for a while. Have we signed anyone of any value? Have we signed anyone at the top of their game?
GVE and Middleby can try and sweet talk us into believing that they're building for the future, but we all know that if any of these "new kids" we've signed are half-decent they'll be out of here before too long anyway.
So if their plan is, as Middleby said, to give us a thrill by watching future stars of australian football when they're first beginning, why don't they just admit that they're not building a squad to win the A-League? Why don't they say what we all know and concede that they hope to maybe get lucky and squeeze into the finals every second year to keep fans happy?
Look at our team as it stands - a washed-up 34 year old partnering an unproven 19 year old who couldn't get a start at Perth, being supplied with opportunies by a 22 year old player with barely 40 games in the league.
Just to fill me with more confidence, the teams wastes a visa spot on some 23 year old guy from Europe who nobody's ever heard of and parade it around like it's a big signing.

In summary, I'm not happy.

furns
04-07-2012, 05:27 PM

I don't want to be proud - I want to f*cking win.Wait for the Jetstream podcast with GVE - it may answer some of those questions

Grimario
04-07-2012, 05:29 PM
It's painfully obvious that cost-cutting is the Jets only objective in the near future.
The writing has been on the wall for a while. Have we signed anyone of any value? Have we signed anyone at the top of their game?
GVE and Middleby can try and sweet talk us into believing that they're building for the future, but we all know that if any of these "new kids" we've signed are half-decent they'll be out of here before too long anyway.
So if their plan is, as Middleby said, to give us a thrill by watching future stars of australian football when they're first beginning, why don't they just admit that they're not building a squad to win the A-League? Why don't they say what we all know and concede that they hope to maybe get lucky and squeeze into the finals every second year to keep fans happy?
Look at our team as it stands - a washed-up 34 year old partnering an unproven 19 year old who couldn't get a start at Perth, being supplied with opportunies by a 22 year old player with barely 40 games in the league.
Just to fill me with more confidence, the teams wastes a visa spot on some 23 year old guy from Europe who nobody's ever heard of and parade it around like it's a big signing.

In summary, I'm not happy.

Who is the unproven 19 year old that couldn't get a game at Perth? I thought Josh Mitchell was late 20's and had played 5 years in Romania?

steve136
04-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Who is the unproven 19 year old that couldn't get a game at Perth? I thought Josh Mitchell was late 20's and had played 5 years in Romania?
Taggart.

Grimario
04-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Oh duh. For some reason I was thinking of Tiago and Mitchell... which doesn't make any sense either. :(

hauss
04-07-2012, 05:34 PM

Is it? You'd see just as much cost cutting going on in the back office staff as the front office. Apart from the (unpaid) Advisory Committee, I haven't heard any drastic changes going on there.

Why wouldn't they raise the season ticket prices, even just a little bit, to try and gouge the regular punters for more money?

I don't have a problem with a squad made up of largely young players, so long as they are balanced with experienced players where it counts. My personal opinion has always been that there will be a point in time when the kids who watched the Socceroos qualify for the 2006 World Cup would be the first generation of really talented players because we wouldn't see them drop out of the game like in previous generations. After them will come the kids who have had superior development through the FFA's technical program.

I'm keenly watching who they pick to fill the remaining attacking midfielder and striker positions. I think GVE has made it clear that he's looking for quality players in these positions.

steve136
04-07-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm keenly watching who they pick to fill the remaining attacking midfielder and striker positions. I think GVE has made it clear that he's looking for quality players in these positions.
I understand what you're saying, but since when has GVE been any good at buying quality, experienced foreign players - the type that we need at the moment?

Skirt Boy
04-07-2012, 06:18 PM
I understand what you're saying, but since when has GVE been any good at buying quality, experienced foreign players - the type that we need at the moment?

Uhm to be fair to Dutchy he has never been in a position to select the players he wants.

That being said I do find it interesting that Scott Tunbridge the year after he left the Jets was the leading goal scorer in South Australia's comp.

Be interesting to see how he goes with a much better backroom, better budget for not only players but for team preparation ect.

scarfy96
04-07-2012, 06:44 PM
+1 Skirt Boy.

I am prepared to reserve my judgement until we see what the final team is and how they play. If he screws up this year then it all sits firmly on his shoulders, if he produces something special I will line up to congratulate him.

q-money
04-07-2012, 10:58 PM
scott tunbridge lol

Jetmaster
05-07-2012, 08:19 AM
A well known recently sacked Jets official is saying that Tinks did a deal with the FFA to keep the club alive until after the TV deal has been struck with Fox and then he will be allowed out of his contract.

This could be taken as sour grapes I know but the same bloke was also very critical of GVE and his methods both on and off the field. He paints a very dire picture for the Jets future.

Send that to the Herald for Dillon to work on.

pv4
05-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Send that to the Herald for Dillon to work on.

no need. pretty sure the herald guys have subscribed to every thread on this forum so when there's an update they get an email notification labelled with Importance: High.

Guerny
05-07-2012, 10:53 AM

How does this make any sense? the next TV deal will be for a 10 team comp, the FFA would need all teams to stick around otherwise Fox will walk away from the contract.

G

hauss
05-07-2012, 11:27 AM
How does this make any sense? the next TV deal will be for a 10 team comp, the FFA would need all teams to stick around otherwise Fox will walk away from the contract.

G

It also doesn't make sense from the position that HSG took. They bet the house on getting a result, apparently prepared to walk away from the A-League because of the issues they listed but prepared to commit long term if they were resolved. I can't see a "we'll let you go out quietly" proposal being well received or accepted in the circumstances. The public comments cannot always be taken at face value but it simply looks like Frank Lowy went to Tinkler, and for the most part he agreed to his demands and everyone moved on. The actions of all parties seems to match this scenario.

MFKS
05-07-2012, 12:15 PM

Former employee who has been recently sacked is making negative statements about HSG and Tinks plans?? Like you haven't seen that happen before. Treat with a grain of salt. Yeah so what if we have cut off a bit of the excess in wages to players. We have actually redirected more money to our off field operations which is a much needed priority.

Anyone who thinks Tinks is planning on bailing needs his/her head read. Tinks could get out anytime he wants. Tinks could antagonise the FFA Clive Palmer way to get given the flick. No comparing Tinks with Palmer and GC is a joke. Tinks fought the FFA on a couple of points and got his point across. Once done he has moved on and continues to fund this club.

As far as the Members number only being 4k don't panic yet. Many people will only cough up the cash in the last week or two before it. People are ****ing tight arses in that regard. They rarely pay early but wait until when something is due. I still expect us to push the 11-12 k mark easily and a great signing or 2 could push us to 13-14k

Grimario
05-07-2012, 12:30 PM
If people are tight arses, surely the perpetual payment method at $15 a month or whatever it is works out a far better option than coughing up $150 a week before the season and getting a shitter choice of seats?

snake
05-07-2012, 12:30 PM
get on the payment in installments plan (y)

snake
05-07-2012, 12:31 PM
If people are tight arses, surely the perpetual payment method at $15 a month or whatever it is works out a far better option than coughing up $150 a week before the season and getting a shitter choice of seats?

aaargh :lulz:

Grimario
05-07-2012, 12:42 PM
:gent:

:imisstheemoticons:

sammydog
05-07-2012, 12:45 PM
As far as the Members number only being 4k don't panic yet. Many people will only cough up the cash in the last week or two before it. People are ****ing tight arses in that regard. They rarely pay early but wait until when something is due. I still expect us to push the 11-12 k mark easily and a great signing or 2 could push us to 13-14k

I agree, I seem to remember last season people thinking the 10,000 target was unrealistic and they got there in the end. The numbers didn't explode at the start it was just a steady climb.

There will be two more rushes for tickets this season, one just before the member seat allocations ends, then another just before the season starts.

I think we will reach 10,000 again, how much higher really will depend on the last signings.

Squad wise, I am pretty happy with how its shaping up this season. If we really do well with the last signings in the attacking area it should be a good season.

MFKS
05-07-2012, 12:47 PM

Many will stay away from Payment plans due to personal choice and wanting to pay for something outright.

Some people just don't pay things until they are due or at at the last minute. Unfortunately they are what they are.

I am on the committee of a sporting group who have 60-70 members and turns over approx 40k a year. We have an annual Membership fee of $25. We have about 30 outings a year .This group is entirely opt in and you can front once a year or 30 times a year.

At the start of the year when our fees are due I have almost the same 20 blokes cough up at the first available opportunity a couple of these even harass me earlier and can't wait to pay them. The next couple of chances I get 4 or 5 or so. This used to drag on for 4-5 months which was just a great inconvenience so we set a deadline of February or you wouldn't be eligible for an event. Still get the same situation just that now I get 30 or so coughing up on the last day available. Then I still have about 8 to 10 that I have to almost chase up with a shot gun to get them to open their wallets and cough up. These who are late or pay at the last available opportunity and ain't poor either just that way inclined. Money stays in their wallet until the last available chance

Jetmaster
05-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Paying when due is inherent in this club - with the previous owner it was pay on the last day of the final notice !!!

News on JC (or Cockerill speculation)...

Culina may be next on Sydney FC's shopping list

MICHAEL COCKERILL
05 Jul, 2012 11:43 AM

Jason Culina could yet become the final piece of the recruiting jigsaw for Sydney FC after the Sky Blues boosted their attacking stocks with the signing of veteran Croatian striker Krunoslav Lovrek.

Lovrek, 32, has agreed a one-year deal after leaving his Chinese side, Qingdao Jonoon, and coach Ian Crook is singing his praises, saying: "He can finish but he can create as well so that fitted into the bracket that we wanted ... he's smart and technically very good, so I'm just really delighted to have got him on board."

Lovrek, a former Croatian youth international, has had a nomadic career, playing in Japan, South Korea, Turkey, Belgium as well as his homeland. He was a member of the Jeonbuk Motors squad which won the 2011 Asian Champions League, and having already seen Sydney FC's facilities pronounced himself happy with the move, saying: "My first impression of everything around the club is great."

Lovrek becomes Sydney FC's fourth visa player, and the club still has room for one more foreigner. Whether the Sky Blues fill their quota with another attacking player remains to be seen, and much could depend on the outcome of the speed of Culina's recovery from a career-threatening knee injury.

The Socceroos midfielder has finally reached a settlement with Newcastle Jets over compensation and insurance issues, and is now on the market providing his comeback goes to plan. Culina has been working with Sky Blues physio Stan Ivancic on his injury - effectively giving Sydney FC a head start in what could become a three-horse race for his signature. Western Sydney Wanderers and Central Coast Mariners are also keen on Culina, who has been sidelined for 18 months since damaging his knee playing for Australia at the Asian Cup.

Meanwhile former Sydney FC striker Kerem Bulut is the latest transfer target of the Wanderers, who need to shore up their attacking options. Bulut, 20, finished last season as a loan player with Czech side Mlada Boleslav.

seldom
05-07-2012, 02:31 PM
smurfs will be a bit smarter than us with the get out of payment clause if his dodgy knee is no good

Grunta
05-07-2012, 02:35 PM
What's Cockerill going to do now that there are 2 teams in Sydney he (his paper) has to suck up to?

And is there any player in the country not linked to the Smurths, yet. FFS

Jetmaster
05-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Wait for them to try and gazump us on Griff !

front2
05-07-2012, 11:31 PM
What a battle between Blues and Wanderers. Some fantastic signings split between both clubs. Flores seems to be the best signing though for any A League club. Even at any price it may be. So from now Griff has to be the next big thing.

Jeterpool
06-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Former employee who has been recently sacked is making negative statements about HSG and Tinks plans?? Like you haven't seen that happen before. Treat with a grain of salt. Yeah so what if we have cut off a bit of the excess in wages to players. We have actually redirected more money to our off field operations which is a much needed priority.

Anyone who thinks Tinks is planning on bailing needs his/her head read. Tinks could get out anytime he wants. Tinks could antagonise the FFA Clive Palmer way to get given the flick. No comparing Tinks with Palmer and GC is a joke. Tinks fought the FFA on a couple of points and got his point across. Once done he has moved on and continues to fund this club.

I think a marquee signign will push this over. A big name is needed.

pv4
06-07-2012, 08:10 AM
A big name is needed.

agreed. Jan Venegoor of Hesselink, Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Morten Gamst-Pedersen all have pretty big, long names. any of these guys should be fine - let's get our moneys worth when we get their name printed on the jerseys!

Jeterpool
06-07-2012, 09:18 AM
agreed. Jan Venegoor of Hesselink, Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Morten Gamst-Pedersen all have pretty big, long names. any of these guys should be fine - let's get our moneys worth when we get their name printed on the jerseys!

Can't help but have a laugh at this one...you're on fire pv4

OmeletteDuFromage
06-07-2012, 09:41 AM

Isnt there a letter limit on the jerseys? :confused:

pv4
06-07-2012, 09:46 AM
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii553/pv4zanewy/jan2Bvenn.jpg

Zico
06-07-2012, 09:54 AM

I agree that this sounds like a case of sour grapes but this bloke was very certain and is a well known fella who wouldn't go shooting his mouth off. Thats all I'm saying about it and although I hope he is being a dickhead I thought it best to put it out there what he said.

MFKS
06-07-2012, 11:06 AM
ew Head of Hyundai A-League appointed

Football Federation Australia (FFA) has announced the appointment of Damien de Bohun as the Head of Hyundai A-League.

Mr de Bohun brings senior executive experience in sports administration, marketing and business development to the key management role for Australia’s premier football club competition.

Damien has held the senior role as Executive General Manager, Game and Market Development for Cricket Australia since 2005.

His career includes two previous roles in football, as CEO of Football Federation Victoria (2003-04) and Operations Manager of the Hyundai A-League (2004-05).

“Damien has a wonderful mix of senior executive experience in the sports industry and a life-long passion for football,” FFA CEO Ben Buckley said.

“His recent professional focus on game and market development is particularly relevant for the A-League and FFA’s strategic objective to connect with the grassroots and convert participants into fans.

“I’m delighted to have secured a high-calibre executive in Damien. I know he has the right skills, energy and football administration knowledge to implement our goals for a stable and sustainable A-League.”

Damien de Bohun thanked FFA for the opportunity to take on the leadership role in the Hyundai A-League.

“Football has always been a big part of my life as a player, coach and referee. More recently, some of my most enjoyable experiences have been coaching our son’s junior sides and watching the next generation of boys and girls develop a love for football,” de Bohun said.

“But it’s the professional challenge of managing the Hyundai A-League that has me most excited about the new role.

“The current structure of the A-League provides a very solid foundation to build on the growth in attendances, TV audiences and memberships last season and I can’t wait to get started.”

Damien de Bohun will commence in the new role in early August.

MFKS
06-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Have also heard rumours Smurfs FC are gonna be signing former Newy invalid Jason Culina

Quite refreshingly different to see Sydney sign our cast offs or transfer targets for a change:rolleyes:

Assuming this goes ahead and Jason is recovered from his injuries and able to play at the level expected of him a midfield containing Culina Carle and Emerton is gonna look pretty impressive

Jeterpool
06-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Have also heard rumours Smurfs FC are gonna be signing former Newy invalid Jason Culina

Quite refreshingly different to see Sydney sign our cast offs or transfer targets for a change:rolleyes:

Assuming this goes ahead and Jason is recovered from his injuries and able to play at the level expected of him a midfield containing Culina Carle and Emerton is gonna look pretty impressive

Woof!

Pico
07-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Goal-line wizardry could be out of reach
July 7, 2012

http://images.smh.com.au/2012/07/06/3435933/ipad-art-wide-sterjovski-420x0.jpg
Took a huge pay cut to sign a one-year deal with the Mariners ... Mile Sterjovski. Photo: Getty Images

GOAL-LINE technology has finally been given the green light, but while new A-League boss Damien de Bohun is a fan of innovation he has ''no idea'' when the expensive equipment will be seen in Australia's domestic competition.

On the same day the International Football Association Board relented to years of pressure and approved one of the biggest rule changes in the game's history, de Bohun was officially ushered into the A-League hot seat, replacing Lyall Gorman, who has left to become executive chairman of newcomers Western Sydney Wanderers.

De Bohun has spent the past seven years at Cricket Australia, but has been a football player, coach and referee, and is a former chief executive of Football Federation Victoria. ''There are clearly some challenges ahead, but you have to put things in context,'' he said.

''Football has come an extraordinary way in the last 10 years, so that tells me the next 10 years will be incredibly exciting. Football in this country has incredible natural advantages, the challenge is to make something from them.''
Advertisement

Well versed in the use of video technology in cricket, de Bohun would love to see the new goal-line technology introduced as soon as possible in the A-League, but at a cost of about $200,000 a stadium he warns clubs may have to be patient.

''I've got no idea when we'd be in a position to introduce it, but what I can say is that innovations like this add a lot to the consumer experience. It brings fans into the game, whether they're at home or in the stadium, and that's a good thing. Sport is in the entertainment industry - you stand still, you go backwards.''

De Bohun, who starts his new job next month, has put strengthening the links between the clubs and the community at the top of his list of priorities - a strategy he believes will help build on the recent growth in memberships, crowds and ratings. Improving the relationship between the clubs and Football Federation Australia, and between the clubs themselves, is another priority.

Meanwhile, former Socceroo Mile Sterjovski has cut short his stay in China and will return to the A-League to join Central Coast Mariners, who have beaten off a strong bid from Sydney FC for his much-coveted signature.

''We're absolutely delighted to get Mile on board,'' said chairman Peter Turnbull. ''He's a player of proven pedigree, he's an ex-international, and I think it's a great show of faith in our club that he's decided to join us rather than take up [other] offers.''

Sterjovski, 33, has left Dalian Aerbin by mutual consent after his family failed to settle in China, and has taken a huge pay cut to sign a one-year deal with the Mariners, with a one-year option. Sterjovski, who won't be a marquee player, left Perth Glory in February - just before the club's fairytale run to the grand final - to sign a 10-month deal with Dalian Aerbin, who had just been promoted to the Chinese Super League.

Initially used as a fullback by the club's Korean coach Chang Woe-Ryong, Sterjovski was shifted to a No. 10 role when Serb Alex Stanojevic took charge just a month into the season, and ended up making 15 appearances in the CSL before deciding to bring forward his departure. Sterjovski will be reunited with his former Socceroos boss Graham Arnold at the Mariners, who is likely to use him in an attacking role to fill the void left by the departures of John Sutton and Matt Simon. Sterjovski's wages will sit inside the Mariners' salary cap.

In a further boost to the Mariners, outstanding goalkeeper Matt Ryan, 20, has had a request for a trial at English Championship side Burnley turned down.

The Mariners are determined to keep hold of one of their prized assets unless they are offered a serious transfer fee for last season's A-League Goalkeeper of the Year. Ryan's management had hoped to take him to England today to begin a two-week trial at Turf Moor.

www.smh.com.au/sport/football/goalline-wizardry-could-be-out-of-reach-20120706-21mdu.html#ixzz1ztRPJyn5

lol they never change Gorman 2.0

On the Goal line tech price I think that's the more expensive sony Hawk-eye system, goalref is meant to be much simpler to install & produce. Can't see it being used by any of the larger associations though considering sony is a major partner with FIFA.

Pico
07-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Culina Return Not Far Away
http://i.haymarket.net.au/Utils/ImageResizer.ashx?n=http%3a%2f%2fi.haymarket.net.a u%2fNews%2f103701071.jpg&w=653
UNCLEAR FUTURE...Culina denies talk of Sydney FC link

AFTER enduring the toughest 18 months of his professional career, clubless Socceroo Jason Culina is ready to return ahead of the 2012 A-League season.

The 31-year-old says he's close to regaining full fitness after recovering from two major surgeries and is hopeful of securing a deal and returning in the early stages of the A-League season.

"Whether it's the first game of the season or the fifth, I'm not sure," Culina says. "I can't put a timeframe on this sort of injury and recovery. You don't see progress week-to-week.

"It's more every couple of weeks, so if I was to say I'd be ready for the first game of the season - I wouldn't put my money on it but I'd like to be there or thereabouts."

The ex-Gold Coast United midfielder lit up the A-League in his first two seasons in the domestic competition but his move to the Newcastle Jets fell flat when his father and then-Jets coach, Branko, was sacked on the eve of the 2011 season due to controversy surrounding Culina's injury.

Once a mainstay in the national set-up, Culina's vision and technical ability on the ball have also been sorely missed in the A-League, with the former Ajax and PSV midfielder now training with Sydney FC head physio Stan Ivancic.

That move has led to speculation he is on the verge of signing with the Sky Blues, but Culina says his future still remains unclear.

"I've been training with Stan - he used to be my physio at Sydney United back in the day in the old NSL, 15 years ago," Culina said.

"When I got back to Sydney he was the one who offered his support. So I've been working on my fitness and recovery with him, not actually with Sydney FC. I don't know where I'll be or what I'll be doing.

"At the moment I'm still focused on my rehab. I'm probably a good month or two off actually joining a team and starting training. I'd be looking too far ahead to say I'll be going here or there."

With the highly publicised legal action regarding his sacking from the Jets involving the Professional Footballers Association and Football Federation Australia finally dropped in June, Culina said he was happy to move forward.

"Definitely, that was another hurdle that needed to be jumped. It's not easy when you're trying to deal with a serious injury and the rehab but also all that other stuff," Culina admitted.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/244981,culina-return-not-far-away.aspx

Good to hear he is getting back on track WSW maybe, after all the FFA is already paying him as part of his settlement.

Thomas477
07-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Good to hear he is getting back on track WSW maybe, after all the FFA is already paying him as part of his settlement.

+1, was a great shame we never saw him play for us.

As for signing, surely he can't sign for SFC, given they have 2 marquees ATM, unless we're going to see another marquee player suddenly become available. However, he would be a brilliant signing for WSW, gives them that bit of class and creatively they seem to lack at the moment.

GazFish35
07-07-2012, 03:28 PM
"consumer experience"

FFS, if they bring some big screen third umpire decision pending bullshit, we will be the laughing stock of world football.

If it comes in, it must be as if the ref made the call and happened to get it right cos it all happens quickly without anyone knowing some technology had been used.

MFKS
07-07-2012, 03:38 PM
The issue I see with this goal line technology is that it is probably only ever needed seriously once every 100 games.
Germany V England WC 2010
Ukraine V England Euro 2012
FA CUP Final 2012
Are just a few matches where the system could have been used and proved beneficial. Matches come and go without any issues raised.

What does concern me is that they will start using it by taking the "just to be safe" angle. As a result the thing will probably be used once every 10 matches when it should only be required once every 100 matches. Other issue is they start with this and then expand it to something else and turn our game into a mess like the NRL have with their Video Ref stuffing 6 calls up a week

WolfMan
07-07-2012, 04:21 PM
"consumer experience"

FFS, if they bring some big screen third umpire decision pending bullshit, we will be the laughing stock of world football.

If it comes in, it must be as if the ref made the call and happened to get it right cos it all happens quickly without anyone knowing some technology had been used.

From FIFA.com...

"Hawk-Eye system – goal-line camera technology
The Hawk-Eye system uses six to eight high-speed cameras set up at different angles at each end to calculate the exact position of the ball. The data from the cameras is then transferred to video software. From this data, the system generates a graphic image (3D) of the ball's trajectory. The match officials are informed of whether or not it was a goal within one second."

I will preface this by saying I am not, and never will be a fan of Technology used in Football. But, if it were thrust upon us, it appears as if it will be an almost instant verification system, with zero tv screens used.

Pico
07-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Not really people need to look at the systems and understand it is not a referral system like cricket or NRL or NFL or even tennis.

The basic idea is that the elected system has to send a signal to the refs watch within 1 second. So basically before the ref would even get a chance to blow the whistle his watch would light up saying it had crossed. So far Hawkeye & Goalref are the only two to meet the requirements. Hawkeye seems to be the front runner I think mainly due to sony pushing it, sony's relationship with FIFA & the fact hawkeye has been used in multiple sports so seems to be the "proven" tech.

Goalref seems to be the more ideal method, its easier to install, costs less & will not be as prone to errors as hawkeye.

The reason Hawkeye costs so much is that you need to set up 6 dedicated high speed cameras around the ground to track the ball movements, but it is still prone to potential errors, just imagine trying to track a ball as its whipped in from a corner into the crowded penalty box.

Goalref seems to be able to handle the football environment a lot better as it was designed specifically for football by a former ref, only requires the magnetic field to be impacted by the ball to then send the signal.

The" consumer experience", FFS Groman 2.0, would not necessarily be at the ground, ideally everything would be normal just like if the ref made the call no noticeable delay no referrals, no watching the video screen etc, but the replay for TV viewers could be like the tennis replays of the ball movement animation.

I'd like to see the HAL team with goalref and set up some systems, most will opt with hawkeye so I think a smaller league with a tv partner like fox who would be open to working on a system to animate the replays and work it into tv coverage would be a good chance for them to test it out, the fact we only have a small number of stadiums that would be used would help keep the cost down.

true waterboy
07-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Goalref seems to be able to handle the football environment a lot better as it was designed specifically for football by a former ref, only requires the magnetic field to be impacted by the ball to then send the signal.

If it uses the penetration of a magnetic feild to determine if the ball has crossed the goal line is there going to be some sort of metal or metallic strip on the ball?
and if so wouldnt this impact on the ball?

Also if they use hawk eye or anything similar to that, in most cases it you would think that it would slow down the game and also in cricket etc there are a number of decisions where it cant predict 100% accuracy.

I really hope they stay clear of this technology. I love the fact its one of the only sports where its all up to the refs. if you look at league a number of fans want video ref gone.

GazFish35
07-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Watch for people throwing magnets!

OmeletteDuFromage
08-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets recruit Dominik Ritter met his new teammates for the first time at training at Ray Watt Oval on Sunday morning.

The former Swiss under 20’s international arrived in Australia on Saturday evening and said he was pleased with his new surroundings.

“My first impressions are very good,” he said.

“I arrived yesterday evening so haven’t had a lot of time to look at things but today was the first time on the pitch at training and it is very good weather so I’m happy.”

Ritter said he was excited by the challenge of moving to the other side of the world to pursue his football career.

“There is an agent here who contacted me to see if I wanted to play in Australia and everything went very fast from there and now I am here,” he said.

“It’s a chance to play somewhere new and it’s an adventure. There is a new language, a new culture and everything is new to me here, so it’s very exciting.”

Ritter admitted he didn’t know a lot about the A-League before the prospect of joining the Jets came up, but he said he was pleased with what he learned about the competition after researching it online.

“I didn’t know a lot, but people informed me about the 10 teams that play in the A-League and I saw all the stadiums on the internet and I’m really excited to play here,” he explained.

“I’ve not seen every match, but on the internet and on YouTube I’ve seen some parts of games and it is good… it is maybe a little bit nearer to English football.”

Ritter came through the youth system at Switzerland’s most successful club of the past decade, FC Basel, where he also played at first team level with former Socceroo Scott Chipperfield.

He has represented the Swiss national team at underage level and most recently played for FC Winterthur.

The 23-year-old said he was confident of fitting in well with the playing philosophy of Jets head coach Gary van Egmond.

“I like to play as a defender at left back or centre back. For me it doesn’t matter which one, but we’ll see what the coach chooses,” he said.

“(Gary) has spoken to me that he wants to make a lot of pressure (in defence).

“I like to go forward, to attack and make two against one in the offence if I’m playing on the left side. I think maybe the best type of defence is to attack.”

Ritter will join his teammates for the four-day pre-season camp in Canberra starting on Monday. He said he felt fit enough to play in Wednesday night’s trial game against Canberra Rockets if required.

“I was in Switzerland doing my own fitness and I think I am pretty good. But we’ll see tomorrow (at training),” he said.

“I would like to play on Wednesday, maybe not for the whole game, but for a part of it of course.

“I’ve heard it will be a little bit colder there… but in winter in Switzerland we have cold temperatures so it will be not so cold for me in Canberra.”

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Ritter-arrives-in-Newcastle/48036

MFKS
08-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Good Weather eyy This blokes easily pleased

I know it was sunny and a pleasant Winters day in Newy today but he ain't seen nothing yet weather wise.

I wonder how he will find training in January in 33 degrees???

seldom
08-07-2012, 08:29 PM
ffs

hawk
08-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Good Weather eyy This blokes easily pleased
I know it was sunny and a pleasant Winters day in Newy today but he ain't seen nothing yet weather wise.
I wonder how he will find training in January in 33 degrees???
Playing in 35deg will sort him but then again only a back.

Thomas477
08-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Surprised they allowed him to talk to the media tbh.

Grimario
09-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Adnan is goneskis.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/soccer/bahraini-defender-mohamed-adnan-to-return-home-to-family/story-fnec4zuc-1226421306976

Bahraini defender Mohamed Adnan to return home to family
A-LEAGUE champions Brisbane Roar have suffered a blow with Bahraini defender Mohamed Adnan choosing to return to his family in the Middle East.

Adnan played a key role in the Roar's second straight title success in his maiden A-League season, teaming superbly in central defence with skipper Matt Smith.

The 29-year-old, who played 79 internationals for Bahrain before being detained for three months for human-rights protests against the government, had been desperate to rejoin his extended family at the end of his one-year contract.

New Roar coach Rado Vidosic said Adnan would continue his career in the Gulf region after being a notable absentee from the club's opening training session of the pre-season on Monday.

"We wish him all the best and good luck, he's been a very important part of our team," Vidosic said.

"To have someone like that was great but also it now allows us to bring through some young players."

Matt Jurman is set to start the A-League season in central defence with Smith but Vidosic said he was yet to decide whether to sign a foreign defender as he can add two more overseas players to his squad.

In good news for a Roar outfit looking for an A-League three-peat, creative midfielder Mitch Nichols is set to remain in Brisbane after he failed to gain a contract with newly-promoted Danish first division club Randers.

Conducting his first training session as head coach after replacing Ange Postecoglou, who is now in charge at Melbourne Victory, long-time assistant Vidosic said he would remain a hands-on mentor and nothing would change at the Roar.

"We set the standard very high and we'll try to maintain it and even improve on that," Vidosic said.

"We know that we've been frontrunners in the A-League for the past two A-League seasons and we want to make sure the gap between us and the rest is getting even wider."

As well as Adnan, the Roar have farewelled Canadian winger Issey Nakajima-Farran, reserve goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne and fringe defender Matt Mundy from their 2011-12 squad but bolstered their list with the signing of Gold Coast young gun Ben Halloran.

russjaybee
09-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Damn, thought he was quality tbh.

Jeterpool
09-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Damn, thought he was quality tbh.

Who is Harper going to question about not being able to take a free kick this year...oh wait...pretty much nobody in the a-league can!

Muswellbrookian
10-07-2012, 08:26 AM
AIS a bit austere for Jets stars

BY JAMES GARDINER

10 Jul, 2012 04:00 AM

THEY may be bankrolled by billionaire Nathan Tinkler, but some Newcastle Jets players are not overly impressed with the luxuries afforded them on the first trip of the season.
They arrived at the Australian Institute of Sport, in Canberra, yesterday for a four-day camp that includes a hit-out against the ACT Rockets tomorrow night.

Accustomed to staying in four- and five-star hotels, some players did not seem impressed with the dormitory-style accommodation and expressed their sentiments on Twitter.

Striker Ryan Griffiths posted: ‘‘Love our rooms at ais!’’ which was accompanied by a photo of former Premier League star Michael Bridges. Other members of the squad joined in.

‘‘@RyuGriff @MarkBirraz @the_produecer @jacobpepper8 Haha worst room in history bro Get me out of here,’’ Bridges wrote. Griffiths added: ‘‘@Bridgy8 @markbirraz @the_produecer @jacobpepper8 how much is bail? This prison cell is cramped!’’

The comments disappeared from Twitter within an hour of an inquiry to Jets management by the Herald.

Jobe Wheelhouse, Marko Jesic, Mark Birighitti, Adam Taggart, James Brown, Sam Gallaway and Mitch Oxborrow have all spent at least a year on the campus as AIS products.

Birighitti posted: ‘‘Loving the prison cells where living in at AIS. I bet @Bridgy8 @RyuGriff aren’t use to living like this.’’

Jets management did not respond to Herald text messages last night.

Rof.

pv4
10-07-2012, 08:35 AM
herald really scraping for a story today. players joke around a bit on twitter about a few days of uncomfortable living and it's a major story.

the foz must not be spreading enough rumours for the herald journos! let's start one..

my sources tell me that Thomas Hitzlsperger (former villa, west ham, stuttgart player) has looked past an audatious bid by everton and is lined up to accept an offer from the Hunter Sports Group Hunter Ports Newcastle United Jets Football Club to become their international marquee and #10 signing. my source said that van egmond was looking for a well-drilled yet creative midfielder, and the german fit the books perfectly. hitzlsperger will also be in charge of free kick takings as he has one of the most powerful shots in the world. it's believed that hitzlsperger is good friends with carlton cole from his time at west ham, and thomas is attempting to drag him along with him. cole and his family are apparently looking for an ultimate change of lifestyle, and it's expected he will be asking for wages that could fit under the cap.

your welcome, james & robert.

&1gest
10-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Bridgey has a go back!!

Michael Bridges ‏@Bridgy8 (https://twitter.com/Bridgy8)
Obviously @JamesGardiner42 (https://twitter.com/JamesGardiner42) & @newcastleherald (https://twitter.com/newcastleherald) where desperate 4 another way off the mark story today & used the boys banter to get it. SAD!!

&1gest
10-07-2012, 08:58 AM
and again

Michael Bridges ‏@Bridgy8 (https://twitter.com/Bridgy8)
In future would @newcastleherald (https://twitter.com/newcastleherald) & @JamesGardiner42 (https://twitter.com/JamesGardiner42) please do their homework & research before getting in on team banter & spirit#amateurs (https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23amateurs)

goaliepersempre
10-07-2012, 09:07 AM
new found resecta for bridgy

furns
10-07-2012, 10:53 AM
And Herald journos wonder why Jets wont talk to them ffs

plague
10-07-2012, 11:02 AM
new found resecta for bridgy

agree

OmeletteDuFromage
10-07-2012, 11:03 AM
herald really scraping for a story today. players joke around a bit on twitter about a few days of uncomfortable living and it's a major story.

the foz must not be spreading enough rumours for the herald journos! let's start one..

my sources tell me that Thomas Hitzlsperger (former villa, west ham, stuttgart player) has looked past an audatious bid by everton and is lined up to accept an offer from the Hunter Sports Group Hunter Ports Newcastle United Jets Football Club to become their international marquee and #10 signing. my source said that van egmond was looking for a well-drilled yet creative midfielder, and the german fit the books perfectly. hitzlsperger will also be in charge of free kick takings as he has one of the most powerful shots in the world. it's believed that hitzlsperger is good friends with carlton cole from his time at west ham, and thomas is attempting to drag him along with him. cole and his family are apparently looking for an ultimate change of lifestyle, and it's expected he will be asking for wages that could fit under the cap.

your welcome, james & robert.

not sure if srs.

parksey
10-07-2012, 12:58 PM
fyi: i'm pretty sure the guys at the herald knew they were joking, and it was hardly a serious news story.

parksey
10-07-2012, 12:59 PM
why do so many people on this site get so butt-hurt over nothing?

pv4
10-07-2012, 01:04 PM

are you saying that whilst under the impression that you yourself don't get butt-hurt over nothing on this forum?

Grunta
10-07-2012, 01:13 PM
The article made the ACT section of the Sydney Herald and the gypos are crowing about it on twitter. If the herald are such local supporters why print a crap story as they did?

parksey
10-07-2012, 01:19 PM
are you saying that whilst under the impression that you yourself don't get butt-hurt over nothing on this forum?

i can safely say i've never been upset by a trivial news story posted on this site.

Jetmaster
10-07-2012, 01:24 PM
The article made the ACT section of the Sydney Herald and the gypos are crowing about it on twitter. If the herald are such local supporters why print a crap story as they did?

If the herald weren't serious why did they try to contact HSG for comment ?

And as for the Gypos I have one word to say - caravan....

pistolpete
10-07-2012, 01:33 PM

http://turnipart.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/greasepot.jpg

GazFish35
10-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I think Parksey is looking for a job at the herald.
Might need to move to NZ bud.

parksey
10-07-2012, 01:49 PM

it seemed like a fun insight into the players' situation to me.

snake
10-07-2012, 01:55 PM
it seemed like a fun incite into the players' situation to me.

clever boy

parksey
10-07-2012, 01:57 PM
ah nuts

pv4
10-07-2012, 02:01 PM
reason for editing: lolololol

Jeterpool
10-07-2012, 03:19 PM
i can safely say i've never been upset by a trivial news story posted on this site.

Who's hacked your user account Parksey??

If the herald weren't serious why did they try to contact HSG for comment ?

And as for the Gypos I have one word to say - caravan....

People should really password protectnehir wifi so the gypos can't steal it and "read" these articles. If there wasn't a picture they'd be lost.

Grunta
10-07-2012, 06:35 PM
it seemed like a fun insight into the players' situation to me.

If the article was written that way then all good. But the articles is definitely written as a slight against the boys comments. Yeah they be a bit dum for putting it on twitter but for the NECASTLE Herald to have a go without any foundation was pretty poor.

The article just fed the socca haters for no good reason.

Besides what will they do when the boys really f^*k up.

sammydog
10-07-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm guessing from Griffiths tweet, the club has reacted by stopping twitter.

RyuGriff: Well I guess I won't be tweeting any more! I apologize for having a laugh with my new team mates. Most us players lived here at ais! #adios

Shame as it was a great way for fans to interact with the players. Well done James Gardner and the Herald.

Thomas477
10-07-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm guessing from Griffiths tweet, the club has reacted by stopping twitter.

Shame as it was a great way for fans to interact with the players. Well done James Gardner and the Herald.

Well Bridges isn't banned, from his latest tweet. But he is very pissed off at Gardenier and The Herald.

northern_swan
11-07-2012, 11:01 AM
fyi: i'm pretty sure the guys at the herald knew they were joking, and it was hardly a serious news story.

I don't think they did. From James Gardiner's twitter:

For the record. The Herald went to jets management over AIS remarks. They could have clarified the situation. If it was banter between teammates they should have said so. End of story. Instead they did not respond and had com removed. Twitter is the public domain. Not everyone understands or is in on 'banter' between teammates.

&1gest
11-07-2012, 11:08 AM
New Sydney Striker
Sydney FC’s attacking stocks have received a significant boost with the capture of current Panamanian international striker Yairo Armando Glaize Yau for the 2012/13 season.
Yau will join Sydney FC on loan from Panamanian club Sporting San Miguelito upon completing a medical in Sydney.
The 22-year-old striker has played four matches for Panama, scoring one goal in a friendly against Guyana in May 2012. He was also a member of the squad that recently started Round 3 of CONCACAF 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying with wins over Cuba and Honduras.
Yau first played professional football as a 16-year-old and has spent most of his career in Panama as well as a one year stint at Deportivo Cali in Columbia.
“We’re very excited about being able to entice Yau to Sydney FC,” said Sydney FC Coach Ian Crook. “He’s a current Panamanian international and the boy can play.
“He’s quick, direct, can play as a striker or a wide man on either side and he can cross a ball. He’s played recently for Panama and we’re thrilled he will be joining us for the 2012/13 season.
“We now have a good group of attacking options with Yau and Kruno Lovrek joining Joel Chianese, Nick Carle, Brett Emerton, Mitch Mallia, Ali Abbas and Dimi Petratos to give our Members and fans some excitement up front.”

Grimario
11-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Just to allay anyones fears, I have scouted him on FM and he isn't much chop...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b214/Grimario/yau.jpg

parksey
11-07-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't think they did. From James Gardiner's twitter:

Well I'll be. Ridiculous.

Jeterpool
11-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Just to allay anyones fears, I have scouted him on FM and he isn't much chop...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b214/Grimario/yau.jpg

Oh thank goodness for that!:rolleyes:

Pico
12-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Cover-up as Price off limits for Wanderers

July 12, 2012

Sebastian Hassett

http://images.smh.com.au/2012/07/11/3447564/art-statue-620x349.jpg

Under wraps ... GWS' plan for Parramatta rugby league legend Ray Price is in the bag. Photo: Brendan Esposito

WHEN the Western Sydney Wanderers play their inaugural A-League match at Parramatta Stadium in October, don't expect to see rugby league legend Ray Price in the stands - and you might not see his famous statue out the front, either.

That's because the Wanderers are considering covering up Price's statue on match days as part of a plan to lessen the feeling that Parramatta Stadium is a rugby league venue and make football fans more ''at home''.

Exactly how the statue of Price - known during his playing days as Mr Perpetual Motion - will be obscured from public view remains unclear, and Football Federation Australia, which owns the club, has not officially decided whether or not to go ahead with the controversial plan.

There's also an outside possibility the Wanderers' might pull the same stunt as performed at Suncorp Stadium on grand final day last year. On that occasion the statue of Queensland's most revered rugby league figure, Wally Lewis, was cloaked in a Brisbane Roar jersey.
Advertisement

"In relation to Parramatta Stadium, it's a multi-purpose venue owned by the government, so I'm sure league fans would understand why we would want to make it feel like a real football stadium if the Wanderers play there," a club spokesman told the Herald. "There's a precedent here. The Brisbane Roar put a Roar jersey on the Wally Lewis statute at Suncorp Stadium for the 'Orange Sunday' grand final [in 2011], so maybe the Ray Price stature with a Wanderers jersey for home games is the right idea."

The Wanderers have officially committed to playing only their opening match, against the Central Coast Mariners, on October 6, but it is no secret the club will play most of its matches at the venue once it finalises negotiations with Parramatta Stadium Trust.

While only two A-League matches have been hosted at the venue, it is a stadium dripping with football history, having hosted seven NSL grand finals, between 1986 and 2004.

The FFA insists the proposal to cover up Price's cast is not about insulting rugby league but about maximising football's visual presence. It has already announced plans to rename the stands and terraces during the summer months.

An official told the Herald last month the FFA felt covering up any traces of rugby league was entirely appropriate. ''With all due respect to the Eels, we plan on making this a football venue when they're not there, and somewhere football people feel at home,'' the official said then. ''We're going to be a major tenant, an equal tenant, and they'll have to understand our desire that when we're playing there, we'll be putting our touch on the venue, even if that means covering up some blue and gold.

''I'm sure they won't have a problem with it and I'm sure the stadium trust will like the idea of the Wanderers doing all they can to attract people to Parramatta Stadium.''

A Wanderers fan club representative, Sean Herrett, said the plans had the backing of supporters.

"The fans really love the idea of making sure the Wanderers' home games are played in an authentic football atmosphere and surrounds," Herrett said "We want to have a say about naming the grandstands and the terraces after legends of Australian football, like Johnny Warren.

"Why shouldn't the Peter Sterling Hill be named after Mark Bosnich if the Wanderers play at Parramatta Stadium? Why wouldn't why we also cover up the Ray Price statue? That's up to the fans and the club to decide, but I don't think anything has been ruled out at this stage.''

Yet the revamped main entry to Allianz Stadium will have a greater rugby league and union theme than ever by the time the A-League season begins. Statues of Trevor Allan, Dally Messenger, Reg Gasnier and Ken Catchpole enjoy prime position in the stadium forecourt, next to the new Rugby League Central headquarters.

None have ever been tampered with by the lone football tenant, Sydney FC.

www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/coverup-as-price-off-limits-for-wanderers-20120711-21wa5.html#ixzz20M7Ee5f5

lol this is the lead image on the sports page, this will end well.

http://images.smh.com.au/2012/07/12/3448343/defcon-620x0.jpg

Pico
12-07-2012, 08:38 AM
FFA ensures game's rich history is no longer hidden away

http://images.smh.com.au/2012/07/11/3447569/art-353-FIFA-300x0.jpg
One of the greats ... Johnny Warren in action for St George in 1969.

Tonight at Darling Harbour, football's alumni will gather to celebrate a first. The unveiling of the greatest ever Australian footballer, an event that carries the sanction of someone who might be a candidate, Johnny Warren.

After six months of preparation, which has included public voting and the input of a panel of experts, we'll find out who is in the pantheon of one. There will also be the unveiling of the greatest ever teams (men's and women's), the greatest ever coach and the greatest ever women's footballer.

Warren, of course, won't be there, having died in 2004, but the great man would be delighted to see his foundation involved in the event, which has also been supported by Football Federation Australia.

The guest list will be as interesting as the outcome, and it seems the cold war that has long existed between past players and current administrators continues to thaw.
Advertisement

Joe Marston won't be there. ''I'm not much good after seven o'clock,'' he says, but he'll be there in spirit, he assures us.

Fact is, the number of former players who still refuse to have anything to do with the game is steadily diminishing. That's a great thing. All we need now is for Peter Wilson, the captain of the 1974 World Cup team, to come in from the cold, then we'll know the hatchet has been buried for good.

The FFA might have spectacularly blown its own centenary last year, but in truth the governing body has been working hard to make up for lost time in acknowledging one of the pillars of the game. Its history.

Those in residence at Whitlam Square deserve credit for making any progress at all. Perhaps for the first time in the sport's extensive history in this country, and recent evidence has emerged that it was played here long before any other football code, there is an organised and orchestrated campaign from head office to examine and enshrine the past. There's the Hall of Fame and now a panel of historians.

The narrative has always been the missing link. Without the momentum of history, football has been handicapped in its battle for recognition and respect. Eventually, when the past catches up with the present, football will suffer nothing in comparison.

Tonight's gala function is another sign of just how fast things are moving. Writers and historians such as Sid Grant, Harry Hetherington and Keith Gilmour were among the first to delve into archives during the 1960s and '70s, but it was the late Eddie Thomson who broke through official apathy in the '80s when, during his time as coach of the Socceroos, he forced through a crucial breakthrough - the awarding of caps.

For the next two decades the process was more miss than hit, but gradually more and more former internationals were given something they could cherish, and in recent years the cap presentations have come thick and fast. So much so, that before the recent World Cup qualifier in Brisbane, the coveted No.1 cap was presented to the family of Alex Gibb, who was deigned to have been the first-ever Socceroos captain, on the inaugural tour to New Zealand in 1922.

That the claim was immediately disputed tells us that history can have different interpretations. But that matters a lot less than the fact that the game has now given the descendants of Gibb a sense of belonging.

That's been the motive behind the FFA's No.1 project, A-League newcomers Western Sydney Wanderers. To engage the western suburbs by recognising the great contribution the region has made to the game in the past. That past extends back to 1880, when the Wanderers played in the first ever recorded match in NSW.

The name, the culture, the colours, the logo are all about the value of heritage. So much so that when the Wanderers play their home matches at Parramatta Stadium next season, the statue of Ray Price might be covered by a hessian bag, and a new statue of a former Socceroo from the west - perhaps a Mark Bosnich or a Paul Okon - will stand alongside in all its glory.

Finally, football is out and proud.

www.smh.com.au/sport/football/ffa-ensures-games-rich-history-is-no-longer-hidden-away-20120711-21wa6.html#ixzz20M94r3c7

Be interesting to see if any newy legends make the cut.

Pico
12-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Smashing Jets win thrills van Egmond

BY CHRIS DUTTON
12 Jul, 2012 04:00 AM

http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/large/2001096.jpg
ON TARGET: Jets new boy Craig Goodwin scores one of Newcastle’s nine goals against Canberra last night. Picture: Colleen Petch

GARY van Egmond’s Canberra mission was to make the Newcastle Jets a tight-knit group, and the coach was rewarded when his team romped to a 9-1 victory over the ACT Rockets last night.

The Jets will return to Newcastle today after tearing the ACT representative side apart with some superb play at McKellar Park.

Striker Ryan Griffiths finished with a hat-trick and veteran Michael Bridges scored a double as the Jets slotted six second-half goals in brisk Canberra conditions.

The Jets have spent this week at the Australian Institute of Sport, where van Egmond was head coach before joining Newcastle.

“It wasn’t just about the game, it was getting away with the players and using the AIS facilities with players living with each other so they’re used to each other on and off the football park,” he said.

“This [training] component is a lot more game-orientated.

‘‘We trained hard the past two days because we wanted them under fatigue so they could carry out the instructions, and to their credit their attitude and performance was excellent.”

The Jets had beaten Northern NSW State League heavyweights Broadmeadow 3-1 in their only previous trial game.

They were not expected to be troubled by the Rockets’ part-timers.

The Jets opened the scoring after just five minutes when Griffiths pounced on a loose ball to give his team the lead.

But the Rockets unexpectedly hit back when Alex Oloriegbe received a gift from the Jets defence minutes later.

Griffiths got his second from the spot before half-time and new recruit James Brown added to the tally to give the Jets a 3-1 lead at the break.

From there the floodgates opened and the Jets’ fitness and finesse dominated.

First it was another new signing, former Melbourne Heart left-back Craig Goodwin, who blasted home a shot from outside the box.

Substitute Bridges extended the lead when his shot was deflected over the goalkeeper’s head.

The Rockets’ task was made even harder when defender Nick Hamilton was sent off with 18 minutes remaining.

James Virgili scored then crossed accurately for Griffiths to complete his hat-trick with a close-range header.

Bridges earned and scored a penalty in the 90th minute before youngster Mitch Oxborrow completed the rout in injury time.

Swiss defender Dominik Ritter was solid in his 20 minutes, and Van Egmond said he was still searching for more attacking options.

“Really happy with the attack, we’ve got some good competition for places and competition breeds success,” he said. “We’ve got another one or two places for attackers, so from a coaching perspective I’m pretty happy with where we sit at this moment.”

Van Egmond started with Griffiths at the point of the attack flanked by Virgili on the left and Brown on the right.

Virgili had a hand in several of the goals in a promising showing after earning few opportunities in the senior squad last season.

Jets starting line-up: Ben Kennedy; Scott Neville, Tiago, Josh Mitchell, Craig Goodwin; Ben Kantarovski, Ben Pepper, Ruben Zadkovich; James Virgili, Ryan Griffiths, James Brown.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/smashing-jets-win-thrills-van-egmond/2621739.aspx?storypage=0

Positive article, shame they had to lift it from the Canberra times. Its strange as it was reported on twitter & that's in the public domain, so JG should have been all over it.

pv4
12-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Its strange as it was reported on twitter & that's in the public domain, so JG should have been all over it.

:lulz:

can't believe they haven't written the story on the thomas hitzsperger/carlton cole rumour yet!

goaliepersempre
12-07-2012, 08:52 AM
:lulz:

can't believe they haven't written the story on the thomas hitzsperger/carlton cole rumour yet!

Dillon hasnt found the foz again yet...

GazFish35
12-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Be interesting to see if any newy legends make the cut.

I hope people logged on and voted for reg date

hauss
12-07-2012, 09:20 AM
I hope people logged on and voted for reg date

Reg was a dead set legend that should be celebrated with the highest esteem in the Hunter and Australia.

I did not vote as I didn't know about the poll. But I can't believe they would allow something like that to be influenced by a poll anyway. Idiots from Sydney and Melbourne always nullify the validity of any poll.