PDA

View Full Version : The Aquarium Thread

sammydog
24-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Any other sad people in here throwing money hand over fist into an aquarium?

I've been running a small marine tank (90L) for about 4 years now, about to upgrade to about 400L.

q-money
24-09-2013, 07:20 PM
400L marine tank eh? SD would be interested in that i reckon

pistolpete
24-09-2013, 07:47 PM
We have a couple of turtles. Had them in a 2x1x1 foot tank and just upgraded to a (free) 4x2x1.5 foot tank. Don't know how many litres that is but they are stoked to be able to have a bit of room to move around

sammydog
24-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Thats a huge change for the turtles. Do you need heat pads or lights in the tank for turtles?

My current tank is 2x1.25x1.5

The new one will be 3x2x2, with a slightly smaller sump, just amassing all the filtration before I pull the trigger on the tank.

pistolpete
24-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Looks good. We had a uv light in the other tank and just had cold water which didn't seem to bother them. With this one we are heating to 18-20 and have a light. Will be getting a heat lamp for them at some stage. We might get one or two more and are looking at getting different types (the two we have are eastern short necks and we were thinking of getting some long necks as well) but need to check if they can mix successfully

pv4
24-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Do you bother with dry spots for the turtles pistol?

I really want a proper tropical tank. Have wanted one for ages. The mrs is heaps against fish tanks though, as she thinks they look tacky.

I currently have a small goldfish tank that has 3 goldfish in it. I've had the same goldfish for just over 3 years now - they haven't grown any more since about 6 months into it. But you can tell they're old because their tails are glorious

Blackmac79
24-09-2013, 09:07 PM
I used to have long necks. 4foot tank. I ended up building a bank and planting some plants who can keep their roots in the water. Helps keep it clean. Didn't bother heating the water, seeing as they don't get it in the wild. . Did have a UV and hear lamp thiough.

pistolpete
24-09-2013, 09:25 PM
We have a floating dock that is near the hear lamp so they can get out if they want

sammydog
24-09-2013, 09:31 PM
The turtles sound cool. We will be getting a python shortly, madly doing research on how to care for it properly before we buy.

I really want a proper tropical tank. Have wanted one for ages. The mrs is heaps against fish tanks though, as she thinks they look tacky.

no doubt tanks can look tacky, but if you take your time they are awesome. If you try and make them look natural I think they are cool. I just hate when people stick in sunken boats and other plastic ornaments.

People love our tank when they come over and I find myself watching it more than the TV.

GazFish35
24-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Can see sammydog down at the fish shop doing the deuce bigalow sea snails trick on the shopkeeper.

timmy_v
24-09-2013, 11:18 PM
I've kept fish for years and have about 20 empty tanks sitting around doing nothing.

All sizes and shapes with the gear just waiting to be resetup.

PV4 shoot me a text and I'll hook you up with a sweet system on the cheap. All you need to do is as fish.

militiamon
24-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Most unexpectedly popular thread of the year.

Kudos nf.net, kudos.

Superdylan
25-09-2013, 12:34 AM
Just got given a goldfish from relatives that are moving up to the north coast. Its been put in our frog pond however.

We also have a Mexican fighting fish.

sammydog
25-09-2013, 07:04 AM
I've kept fish for years and have about 20 empty tanks sitting around doing nothing.

All sizes and shapes with the gear just waiting to be resetup.

PV4 shoot me a text and I'll hook you up with a sweet system on the cheap. All you need to do is as fish.

Got any 3x2x2 with a corner weir (right hand side)?

sammydog
25-09-2013, 07:05 AM
Can see sammydog down at the fish shop doing the deuce bigalow sea snails trick on the shopkeeper.

Why else do you get into fish? Don't tell me its for the fish?

pv4
25-09-2013, 07:53 AM
no doubt tanks can look tacky, but if you take your time they are awesome. If you try and make them look natural I think they are cool. I just hate when people stick in sunken boats and other plastic ornaments.

I don't think it's the inside of the tank she's worried about, it's the tank itself - a big box with some form of frame or something in the middle of a room somewhere.

My current goldfish setup is I'm guessing a 0.5x0.3x0.2 or something like that - and it fits on a shelf on a bookcase we have :rof:

sammydog
25-09-2013, 08:23 AM
I don't think it's the inside of the tank she's worried about, it's the tank itself - a big box with some form of frame or something in the middle of a room somewhere.

I completely get where she is coming from. I hate with my current tank, not only where it sits in the room, but all the filtration and chilling stuff that sits next to it.

Problem solved with the new tank. Better location with the tank sized to fit (Will be able to be viewed from 3 sides), but the filtration will be under the tank and/or sub floor in the garage below.

Wife is stoked to have the chiller and pumps where they won't be heard and heat the room, so the go ahead to upgrade is given.

timmy_v
25-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Got any 3x2x2 with a corner weir (right hand side)?

Have a 36x18x24 no hole tho but does hand a nice stand with it.

Also have a 48x21x24 with hole in the left hand back corner.

Have a few 6x2x2 with cabinets and hoods aswell.

Most tanks are either breeder tanks or grow out tanks and not really display quality

hawk
26-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Most unexpectedly popular thread of the year.

Kudos nf.net, kudos.

hell yeah, that fish has a puffy tail...here fishy....

GazFish35
26-09-2013, 10:31 PM
:sup:

sammydog
26-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Are you free to sit in my tank?

Bon
27-09-2013, 09:23 AM
I had a few smallish tanks back in the day, usual with just your standard sort of tropical fish (angels, guppies, platys, cichlids, etc)..
Accidentally bred a heap of Angels at one stage and just palmed em off to a pet store..

Would love to get back in to having a tank again.. As others have pointed out, it can be a bit of a wallet-destroyer getting a decent setup though.. (not to mention time consuming if you have a lot of tanks that need cleaning..)

pv4
01-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Yo sammy - here's my tank

http://i44.tinypic.com/f0urdd.jpg

Like I said, we got them just over 3 years ago and none of the three goldfish have died. They grew to their respective sizes after about 6 months, and haven't grown since (apart from their tails & fins growing gloriously - you can't see it well but the big one looks unreal when swimming normally). There's one big one (he's dipping down the bottom) and the other two are the same size. The only real change they do is they'll go from full orange to a lot of white to back to orange over the course of the year - no idea why.

Note: I think that pic was taken when I fed them, hence the flakes everywhere. Also note that the mrs actually likes the treasure chests/toy penguins/whatever in the tank :rof:

Schultz
15-10-2013, 09:11 PM
We're a Betta family. Beautiful fish but they have to be kept separate.

sammydog
05-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Finally got my new tank running just before christmas. 900x600x600 display tank with an 800x400x400 sump with all the filtration/heating/cooling. Took for ever to ferry in sea water to fill it.

Not much in it at the moment while I let it settle in. There is about 50kg of live rock in the tank, but only 20kg came from my old tank so I am making sure there is no cycling before I start adding any more fish.

Pretty happy with it, although cleaning it is a bit of a mission.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/sammydogg/Aquarium/fulltank1.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/sammydogg/Aquarium/tank6.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k316/sammydogg/Aquarium/coral5.jpg