Sat 12th Oct
CCM vs WSW k/off 530pm
Victory vs Heart k/off 745pm

Sun 13th Oct
Wellington vs Brisbane k/off 3pm
Adelaide vs Perth k/off 5pm

My picks
1-1, Victory 2-1, Brisbane 1-0, 2-2

I hope it's a sea of 95% Black & Red down there today.
1st the Jatz...then the Soccerwho's....
The only thing that could possibly save anything positive from this weekend is sCCuM embarrasment.

Grimario
12-10-2013, 02:01 PM
I hope it's a sea of 95% Black & Red down there today.
1st the Jatz...then the Soccerwho's....
The only thing that could possibly save anything positive from this weekend is sCCuM embarrasment.

On the train back to Newcastle now, carriage is half Western Sydney fans. There's also a Newcastle fan up the other end talking to some of them and he said "best thing about being from Newy is not being from the coast"... And I think some lady pulled him up, reminding him that this train terminates at Wyong so he better watch what he says :lulzturtle:

furns
12-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Lets be moar like da RBB

surrounded by riot cops and security

boz-monaut
12-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Lets be moar like da RBB

surrounded by riot cops and security

we should all aim to be like this guy

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2013/03/26/1226606/203319-hooligans.jpg

how's that for family friendly entertainment for the masses

militiamon
12-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Did the Mariners fans just do "Who do we sing for?" "Mariners!"

Dear oh dear :blush:

militiamon
12-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Would I be right in saying that the club has also hired a band of professional trumpet players for the match?

furns
12-10-2013, 07:12 PM
I dont know but I did notice they showed some blokes with brass instruments in the coastie boyz bay who mysteriously decided after 8 seasons that it was high time to join in the "fun" in gypoland

Jetmaster
12-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Lot of empty seats for a sellout....

furns
12-10-2013, 07:39 PM
yeah thats what I thought. The only sellout at Bluetongue was the away section.
I would say there were at least 500 empty seats
What was the crowd figure?

plague
12-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Thought the retard Gypo on the PA said 17k odd.
Isn't capacity 18,000 or so?
Maybe everyone went pee pee at the same time?

plague
12-10-2013, 07:49 PM
****ing hell this new Victory chant where they recite the Geneva Convention is a bit much innit?
Hard to keep up in parts if I'm to be totally fair.

Grimario
12-10-2013, 07:51 PM
CAn't find a mention of crowd figure anywhere - just "it was a sell out" and one mention on a live blog of "crowd looks to be 15k or so".

Grimario
12-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Thought the retard Gypo on the PA said 17k odd.
Isn't capacity 18,000 or so?
Maybe everyone went pee pee at the same time?
Thought it was just over 20k?

plague
12-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Thought it was just over 20k?
I think that's extrapolated out to include the 4th stand if the Stadium Fairy ever brings it.
**** poor people.

Thomas477
12-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Pretty sure the cap is 20,500, their record is closer to 20k.

But ffs, it was a WSW home game.

Grimario
12-10-2013, 08:09 PM
I think that's extrapolated out to include the 4th stand if the Stadium Fairy ever brings it.
**** poor people.

http://www.bluetonguestadium.com.au/default.aspx?id=2

With a total capacity of 20,059, Bluetongue Stadium has played host to many major events
How good is the internet for finding stuff? Dunno why I didn't do that :gent:

Apparently it was announced at 17k or so.

Crowd: 17,134 @ Bluetongue Stadium according to article at sportal.

Imyourhero
12-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Traore is class

Jetmaster
12-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Well short of a record though. Pretty sure we got crowds of 18-19,000 in those two games at the end of our championship year.

Imyourhero
12-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Behich for soccerroos left back?

boz-monaut
12-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Carney has that position sewn up

Grimario
12-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Behich for soccerroos left back?

Mr couldn't get a game in the Turkish Super Lig vs Mr regular starter in Eredivisie? :gent:

militiamon
12-10-2013, 09:53 PM
So that was really boring. I've never quite understood why they try and play these high profile fixtures in round 1, the football is almost always garbage.

Grimario
12-10-2013, 10:04 PM
So that was really boring. I've never quite understood why they try and play these high profile fixtures in round 1, the football is almost always garbage.

Yeah, you would imagine that crowds are going to be decent WITHOUT marquee games because it has been SO FECKING LONG since the last game of HAL football. Throw the marquee games in a month or so into the season to keep the momentum.

Posted this over on WP...

3 games in, crowd figure of 82439. 11k more needed to break round record.

If Nix and Adelaide combined can't get 11,062, tis an embarrassment. Adelaide last year – 9,592, Nix – 7,176. You would have to hope that with the first home game of the season, the new Barcelona esque coaching that Adelaide will have a bigger crowd than that. And Nix fans, hopeful under a new coach with a better than average resume at A-League level...

Surely we will break 100k this round?

Jetmaster
13-10-2013, 11:12 AM
More people have attended A-League this weekend already than attended both NRL semi finals combined.

When you consider the importance of those NRL games and the publicity they get, it really is impressive stuff from the A-League.

Blackmac79
13-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Apparently 9,000 tickets have been presold for the nix game this arvo.

Grimario
13-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Apparently 9,000 tickets have been presold for the nix game this arvo.

That's fantastic. Throw in at least 10k for the tikka takka Barcelaide and we have ourselves an easy 100k opening weekend.

Superdylan
13-10-2013, 12:33 PM
On the train back to Newcastle now, carriage is half Western Sydney fans. There's also a Newcastle fan up the other end talking to some of them and he said "best thing about being from Newy is not being from the coast"... And I think some lady pulled him up, reminding him that this train terminates at Wyong so he better watch what he says :lulzturtle:

Lol....great neutral game too head to. Figured I'd head along as I stayed in Sydney Friday night and being the grand final rematch. Passing was really good by wsw, I reacon they will be a force this year again.

Where'd you sit/stand btw? I was standing on the halfway line in general admission. Western Sydney fans everywhere.

Grimario
13-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Lol....great neutral game too head to. Figured I'd head along as I stayed in Sydney Friday night and being the grand final rematch. Passing was really good by wsw, I reacon they will be a force this year again.

Where'd you sit/stand btw? I was standing on the halfway line in general admission. Western Sydney fans everywhere.
Nah, I was coming back from Sydney. Parked at Hornsby the night before because parking in the city itself is a nightmare/bank drain.

militiamon
13-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Hoping Merrick's boiz get up, as well as Gombs. Can't believe I'm actually looking forward to watching these teams.

militiamon
13-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Also looking forward to hearing how the Skips pronounce Gombau.

GazFish35
13-10-2013, 12:57 PM
More people have attended A-League this weekend already than attended both NRL semi finals combined.

When you consider the importance of those NRL games and the publicity they get, it really is impressive stuff from the A-League.

I once thought you were Buckley logging in as a spy.

now I think you're Gallop. :)

You make a good point though. If we had their column inches in the rags and the air time on TV, plus all the horribly painful cross promotion Nein do.

We are growing still!

militiamon
13-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Are Brisbane playing in their training kit? Looks terrible.

Interesting game so far, quite physical but at the same time both teams are looking to play some decent football.

Grimario
13-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Surprised at how decent Nix are looking considering they must have most of their first eleven away on international duty.

militiamon
13-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Ya, technically they have some much more skilled players in the squad. Looks like Merrick has tried to set them up in a similar way to how he had MV operating back in the day: technically skilled players mixed with fast youngsters. Hernandez has looked classy with the few touches he's had, looking forward to seeing that develop more.

Stream for anyone interested:

http://firstrownow.eu/watch/213994/1/watch-wellington-phoenix-vs--brisbane-roar-fc.html

Edit: 1-0 Nix, very intelligent play

militiamon
13-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Tensions starting to boil over. Already a better game than the Melbourne derby last night imo.

boz-monaut
13-10-2013, 03:46 PM
I had forgotten how annoying these New Zealand commentators are

massive bias towards Wellington, hardly even know the names of the opposition players, generally just talk shit and add nothing

militiamon
13-10-2013, 03:54 PM
If this Cunningham guy had better technical skills and composure he would be a beast.

In other news, Hernandez is showing why he is the best A-League player ever.

Grimario
13-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Besart still a massive bellend.

Though I wish he was our bellend, like most good players in the league I (we) all hate.

militiamon
13-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Besart still a massive bellend.

Though I wish he was our bellend, like most good players in the league I (we) all hate.

Beautiful player. He's exactly what we are missing in our squad. I can just picture us being 1-0 down in Wellington, all of our kids with their heads down, tails between their legs - not rugby tackling, swearing at the ref and kicking the shit out of everyone.

Maito Mitch
13-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Love Berisha

Brisbane getting better as the game goes on. Can see them scoring a couple

Considering listening to the second half on mute

Grimario
13-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Watching a 1/3 strength Nix be pretty effective against Roar makes me realise that we are almost certainties for the spoon now, surely.

Jeterpool
13-10-2013, 04:43 PM
I think we by far have put in the least impressive performance of the weekend

militiamon
13-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Is this the first game that dugouts have been used? I remember there was supposedly a rule change by the FFA in the off-season, but I think all of the preceding games have had those shitty plastic chairs.

militiamon
13-10-2013, 04:58 PM
2-1 Brisbane. Very, very sloppy last 20 minutes from Wellington, and poor second half in general. Strange game.

WolfMan
13-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Adelaide and Perth playing open football from the off. Tied at 1 after 10 minutes.

Easy to watch this sort of fluid football - now if only WE played that way.....

plague
13-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Mike Cockerill on Fox: " this Reds team is choc full of Latino flair"

First 2 names on the team sheet:
Boogaard, McKain.

Glorious.

Thomas477
13-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Final Score ADL 3 (10) - 1 (2)

Numbers in brackets are yellow cards....

Booooooooooooooooooooogard and Isasis both got sent for 2nd yellows, both warranted imo.

pv4
13-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Watched most of Adelaide v Perth.

Gve needs to look at how mobile and the freedom the front 4 of Adelaide have, and how well it works for them, then let our guys do that

The perfect example of how a free-flowing 4-3-3 can work, as opposed to the hyper rigid front 3 gve wants us to play

militiamon
13-10-2013, 11:10 PM
^ Agree with those comments pv4. In fairness to GVE though, Perth were setup to play in a completely different way to Sydney though, who were sitting far deeper and not pushing forward as much imo. Looking at their squad, we are kidding ourselves if we think we have anywhere near the attacking quality of Adelaide, or nearly every other team in the league for that fact.

The discipline from Adelaide was a bit nuts. Gombz looks like a real character, was probably firing up more than the players. Didn't it used to be an A-League rule that if any match had 10 yellow cards or more in it then there were automatic fines for both teams?

pv4
14-10-2013, 09:05 AM
^ Agree with those comments pv4. In fairness to GVE though, Perth were setup to play in a completely different way to Sydney though, who were sitting far deeper and not pushing forward as much imo.

Are you saying that our gameplan was halted by the opposition, and GVE did not have the awareness, pride or ability to adapt to overcome this?

Looking at their squad, we are kidding ourselves if we think we have anywhere near the attacking quality of Adelaide, or nearly every other team in the league for that fact.

Are you saying GVE has done an awful job at preparing our squad, in his third season as manager and after a second full offseason? Are you saying Gombau was able to do this job more successfully after given the reigns of his team 4 months ago, in a league that he had no clue about?

FWIW I agree - we don't have that tiki-taka flayva that the Pissants do. But you don't need that exact style to play a free-flowing 4-3-3. Brisbane under Ange did it amazingly, and were a lot more structured/methodical than AUFC. Ange's Victory do it way better than us with I think one Brazilian player.

My issue with GVE and his "system" has been well-documented - when his wingers (the two playing off the striker) take it upon themselves to move out of position to come find the ball, they're yelled at by GVE and told to go back to their position (we've all seen this happen). Our system is designed to have two of our biggest attacking threats completely isolated from the game for large amount of times, and they don't do enough when finally getting the ball to actually warrant being isolated for that time. We play the most rigid 3man frontline I've seen, and it never works.

I'm all for coaches trying new things. What I'm not for is them to try, and noticeably fail, with a thing yet continue trying it. This system thing is a perfect example of this - we had an awful year last year (who can remember, out of 27 games played, 5 games where we absolutely killed it? Or even were the more dominant team?) yet we've come out this season with the EXACT same system. Or how about 3 at the back? First game last year we tried and failed miserably at it vs the pissants. What does GVE do in preseason? Spend half the games with 3 at the back.

The worst thing about this all is I personally have never been formally trained in football tactics. Yet I can pinpoint what we're doing wrong (we all can, it's staring us in the fxxxing face). How has GVE, the rest of his coaching staff, the people who assess if GVE is meeting is required outcomes as apart of his job (lololol), etc not picked up on this?

We should just start Bridges, and give him captaincy, for the rest of the year. At least then we'll be able to have a good laugh, rather than be fooled under the illusion that we're actually attempting to compete. I propose our new lineup:

----------------BK-------------------
Neville--Mitchell--Regan--Gallaway
----------Peppz--------Kanta-------
--------------Bridges(C)-------------
Virgili---------Gibbs----------Cooper

Then I'd agree with Baartzy - active support would only need three chants max. We'd only need 1 chant: "we're shit and we know we are" continously until the opposition scored, at which point we take our shoes off and lift them to the sky, and form a huddle around tobedog who is performing Tummy Time for the Fox Sports cameras.

militiamon
14-10-2013, 07:20 PM
1. Yes, I am saying we would have had more success against a team that was willing to push more numbers forward (which is what we saw with Wellington, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide). The statement is what it is though, nothing more.

2. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was definitely having a dig at GVE/the club in this case. If I ever thought that our squad consisted of underrated gems, I now know I was being naive.

Improvement of the team has to start with our recruiting, we're kidding ourselves if we ever thought we'd be title contenders with the current lot. We were out of the running before the season even kicked off.