PDA

View Full Version : Site & Foz improvements/feedback thread

furns
15-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Post up any foz stuff here.
Are there any particular additions you want made to the forum? Are you happy with the default layout or do you want some customisations created? Do we want to upgrade to vbulletin5?

Before anyone asks, I will be working on the mobile version of the forum over the coming weeks. I am not sure how long it will take so bear with me.

Keep in mind also, that some improvements/plugins/etc may cost money.

furns
15-11-2013, 09:36 AM
speaking of a mobile version, so we just want a mobile version of the foz or the whole site?
Crook has paid for the mobile suite of vbulletin which allows us to create an app for iphones and android, but this is separate to the main site which is wordpress.

boz-monaut
15-11-2013, 09:51 AM
the option to like posts seems to work well in other forums I use

the option to like Baz's posts would add a lot of value to the forum in my opinion

pv4
15-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Is vBulletin able to get quote-pyramids happening? As in, if you quote someone who has quoted someone, all the quotes come along with your post and not just the most recent one?

FWIW I don't like the "like" idea. Just a personal thing. Rich, coming from the dude who likes every single thing he does on FB

furns
15-11-2013, 10:12 AM
the option to like posts seems to work well in other forums I use

the option to like Baz's posts would add a lot of value to the forum in my opinionThis is not a default option, but rather a mod/hack I will need to install. Will look into it

furns
15-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Is vBulletin able to get quote-pyramids happening? As in, if you quote someone who has quoted someone, all the quotes come along with your post and not just the most recent one?

FWIW I don't like the "like" idea. Just a personal thing. Rich, coming from the dude who likes every single thing he does on FBin order to stop a massive amount of quotes appearing in peoples posts everytime they posted a reply, vbulletin 4.2 has the multi-quote option. Basically the quotation box with the little "+" sign next to it allows to you specifically include the relevant posts into your reply, rather than simply everything that preceded your reply.
Use the multi-quote to tag the posts you want to have in your reply, then you hit "reply with quote" as normal.

Its a better system I think.

furns
15-11-2013, 10:18 AM
I have bumped up the number of posts you can multi-quote to 5 btw

Jeterpool
15-11-2013, 10:38 AM

FWIW I don't like the "like" idea. Just a personal thing. Rich, coming from the dude who likes every single thing he does on FB

Are you talking about a string of quotes so you can read the history of the conversation, Pv4?

So for example, if you replied to this, it would show your original post, my post, then your new post?

pv4
15-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Are you talking about a string of quotes so you can read the history of the conversation, Pv4?

So for example, if you replied to this, it would show your original post, my post, then your new post?

Yep that's what I'm talking about. The problem with how it is currently is I physically have to go find the original quote, to then click the multi-quote option.

Is there any issue with quote pyramids forming?

Grimario
15-11-2013, 10:49 AM
It appears to work fine if done manually...

Am with pv4, for stringing together conversations they are much better.

belchardo
15-11-2013, 11:01 AM
dead against them as it generally means you end up with two new posts per page.

Grimario
15-11-2013, 11:09 AM
dead against them as it generally means you end up with two new posts per page.

Why would pyramid quoting have any impact on the number of posts per page?

MFKS
15-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Can we get some new and improved smilies added to the collection.

Some of the current lot are lame and useless

parksey
15-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Liking posts and the ability to tag other members using @ works really well on another forum I'm on.

Not a fan of pyramid quotes at all.

parksey
15-11-2013, 12:39 PM
and we should win stuff by posting

furns
24-12-2013, 08:30 PM
ok someone post up the "gent" icon so I can add it back in

Jeterpool
20-02-2014, 04:26 PM

Found these. Might be a good addition. Up to you all

joel31
17-05-2014, 03:21 PM
honest question
can u ask Robbie if he can starting answering questions in the Ask the Jets section again?

Grimario
17-05-2014, 04:21 PM
I spoke to Robbie and his response was "Joel asked that? joel31 aka soccer_joel asked that? You mean the guy that gave the Jets such awesome ability in FM2014 that now everyone has ridiculous expectations from the club? That Joel? Nah, **** that guy"

True story ;)

joel31
17-05-2014, 04:30 PM
I spoke to Robbie and his response was "Joel asked that? joel31 aka soccer_joel asked that? You mean the guy that gave the Jets such awesome ability in FM2014 that now everyone has ridiculous expectations from the club? That Joel? Nah, **** that guy"

True story ;)
on FM15 we will be a lot worse

Grimario
19-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Can we get some smilies added?

:beer: http://bb.visitaruba.com/images/caribbean/smilies/beer_yum.gif
:slap: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/images/smilies/slap.gif
:wanker: http://www.northstandchat.com/images/smilies/wanker.gif
:facepalm: http://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

furns
19-07-2014, 01:15 PM
I will look at getting the smilies added over the weekend

I have changed the look and layout of the frontpage, as well as added some widgets to include the matches, table and twitter feed. Can people let me know their thoughts please?

boz-monaut
19-07-2014, 01:47 PM
I can't swear properly, it keeps changing my hilarious swears to asterisks

e.g.:
– that Graham Arnold is a massive ****
– **** Sydney FC right up the shitter

GazFish35
19-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Front page looks good on ipad

furns
19-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Yep new theme I chose is mobile friendly. Looks good on my Note too

Jeterpool
19-07-2014, 04:09 PM

Found these. Might be a good addition. Up to you all

Maybe add these too Furns?

616 :shock:
617 :woo:
618 :chant:
619 :thumbsup:

Jeterpool
19-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Hmmm not showing up for some reason

furns
19-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Hmmm not showing up for some reason

What isn't?

baldrick
19-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Where do I send the invoice for using my photo on the new front page ?

As you can clearly see from the attachment,including the EXIF data; I uploaded this photo to flickr on October 8th 2011.as copyright holder I don't believe I have given permission to use this image.

furns
19-07-2014, 06:40 PM
GDay baldrick, I didnt realise that was your photo as it was one that was uploaded to the Squadron FB page.
I can take it down if you wish, or do you give me permission to use it?

Jeterpool
19-07-2014, 07:40 PM
What isn't?

The smilies I placed on page one of this thread

MFKS
20-07-2014, 09:46 AM
Is there a limit on the size of picture you can post on the foz??

I have a couple of 3mb pictures i can't seem to upload and post

boz-monaut
20-07-2014, 10:23 AM
as in you're hosting it somewhere and posting it up here using [img] tags?

no limit on that but there is a limit of 100 kB on hosted jpg files

parksey
20-07-2014, 04:00 PM
i want one of those long rep things

will settle for negative

la bazzle
20-07-2014, 11:54 PM
i want one of those long rep things

will settle for negative

done :)

parksey
21-07-2014, 12:20 PM
red is my fav colour

plague
21-07-2014, 08:11 PM
got anything in pink? or teal?

furns
24-07-2014, 03:34 PM
have set up another "skin" for the foz in Jets related colours for people to try out
scroll to the bottom left of any forum page and you will see a dropdown box
select nujfc01 to apply the new colour theme

feedback appreciated, some tweaks will be required for me to get it right but its a work in progress.
If you hate it, just go back to the default one

I will also be working on a theme to match the foz colours up to the new colour scheme on the frontpage

Grimario
24-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Looks good for the most part, will defo be my layout at home... will stick with default when pretending to work in the office.

On some pages the royal blue is a bit of an eyesore.

For instance...

on the smilies > More page (which still doesn't have :beer:, ffs :wanker: )
on the Preview Post page - all default text is black, all text boxes are royal blue
When editing a post, the "Reason for Editing" text is black on royal blue, hard to read
The text boxes on the Thread Tools, Rate this thread and Display are royal blue with black
Settings page, almost all of it
Search page - not sure what's broken there but colours awry and stuff doesn't appear aligned (could be my browser)

Other things

The Edit Post/Reply/Quote buttons aren't a good colour to stand out against the darker red.
The timezone/vb version etc shit on the page footers is an odd half unreadable mix of colours

furns
24-07-2014, 03:52 PM
yep, all these individual sections have to be manually changed to correct the colours.
I will change them as I can.

oh and the smilies you and Jeterpool posted are added btw :woo:

if anyone has any other smilies chuck them up

Grimario
24-07-2014, 03:53 PM
:beer::beer::beer:

Jeterpool
24-07-2014, 04:17 PM
yep, all these individual sections have to be manually changed to correct the colours.
I will change them as I can.

oh and the smilies you and Jeterpool posted are added btw :woo:

if anyone has any other smilies chuck them up

Legend :)

furns
24-07-2014, 04:24 PM
still waiting for someone to find the original gent file ...... :)

MFKS
25-07-2014, 12:02 PM
have set up another "skin" for the foz in Jets related colours for people to try out
scroll to the bottom left of any forum page and you will see a dropdown box
select nujfc01 to apply the new colour theme

feedback appreciated, some tweaks will be required for me to get it right but its a work in progress.
If you hate it, just go back to the default one

I will also be working on a theme to match the foz colours up to the new colour scheme on the frontpage

My Eyes FFS My Eyes

Can't stand it.

Any chance we can actually get it in Newy Colours of the E and C and NOT the Knights Colours??

Grimario
25-07-2014, 12:06 PM
My Eyes FFS My Eyes

Can't stand it.

Any chance we can actually get it in Newy Colours of the E and C and NOT the Knights Colours??

:woo:

That would be absolutely amaaaazing.

furns
25-07-2014, 01:59 PM
My Eyes FFS My Eyes

Can't stand it.

thats next on the to-do list

baldrick
25-07-2014, 06:25 PM
GDay baldrick, I didnt realise that was your photo as it was one that was uploaded to the Squadron FB page.
I can take it down if you wish, or do you give me permission to use it?

Hi Furns, thank you Im happy for you may use the photo, on one condition though

Let me send a proper hi res version !

Jeterpool
18-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Thank me later fellas

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/images/smilies1/vuvuzela.gif

Jeterpool
20-08-2014, 09:27 AM
A suggestion I'd like to make, which i saw on another vbulletin forum, is can we place a poll down the side of the forum page, perhaps under or abvoe the twitter feed?

It's another method of interaction and can be topical too: Result predictions for next weeks match, Man of the match, who we'd like to sign, who will be premiers, etc.

furns
06-12-2014, 03:15 AM
A suggestion I'd like to make, which i saw on another vbulletin forum, is can we place a poll down the side of the forum page, perhaps under or abvoe the twitter feed?

It's another method of interaction and can be topical too: Result predictions for next weeks match, Man of the match, who we'd like to sign, who will be premiers, etc.added poll widget to the frontpage

furns
06-12-2014, 03:18 AM
Thank me later fellas

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/images/smilies1/vuvuzela.gif

added

:brrr:

WolfMan
22-01-2015, 09:05 AM
Are there any iPhone apps for navigation of the forum? I can't find anything via Tapatalk. Currently using Chrome browser, but wondered if there was a better way. Cheers

furns
08-06-2015, 03:29 PM
I have adjusted the site theme (homepage) to display across the entire screen no matter what resolution you are viewing with. This gets rid of the empty space that displayed on the right hand side of the screen when viewing site pages, except for the foz.

I am currently investigating options to integrate the forum into the website properly, so that the foz will display inside the framework of the homepage instead of displaying the foz and main website separately.

parksey
19-06-2015, 11:10 AM
politics thread has lost the plot on my computer

says there is 6 unread pages but i can't get past page 62

Jeterpool
19-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Also can't Access the Miller or Members forum threads.

MFKS
19-06-2015, 11:18 AM
You guys get banned???
:rof:

WolfMan
19-06-2015, 11:22 AM
Also can't Access the Miller or Members forum threads.

Second this

snake
19-06-2015, 11:26 AM
politics thread has lost the plot on my computer

says there is 6 unread pages but i can't get past page 62

same here.

says the last post was by MKFS, but it looks like mine is.

then i noticed i can't see any of MKFS's posts.

nice new feature - kutgw :rof:

Jeterpool
19-06-2015, 12:07 PM
same here.

says the last post was by MKFS, but it looks like mine is.

then i noticed i can't see any of MKFS's posts.

nice new feature - kutgw :rof:

I reckon the member as been benched again

hawk
20-06-2015, 08:47 AM
more freakin spam in the main foz

furns
20-06-2015, 01:52 PM
Yep
In order to make it easier for newbies to join the foz, I changed the registration options from a set of Newy questions to reCaptcha verification. Unfortunately it does mean the occasional spam account gets through and a thread is posted. Suffice to say they don't last that long as myself or another admin will remove the thread and permaban the account.

Only thing we ask is that no one posts in these spam threads please. Spammers monitor their threads for replies so they can then spam us even more because they then know that it elicits a response.

Blackmac79
27-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Furns, just on wanting to increase content on the main site. Is there anyway we can integrate some of the data from the games passed, like a page with each seasons results listed with goal times, cards, crowds, refs etc.?

Jeterpool
29-07-2015, 05:52 AM
Guys can we drop a few of the old sticky threads off the top of the jets area of the forum? Cheers

furns
06-11-2015, 02:42 AM
foz was down briefly for an hour while I upgraded us to 4.2.3
We now have a whole bunch of vbulletin supplied smilies sitting on our server- let me know if you want any of them added to the smilie database

snake
06-11-2015, 07:38 PM
all of them, tbh

la bazzle
06-11-2015, 07:47 PM
all of them, tbh

Hi Snake

snake
06-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Hi Snake

hey baz!

Jeterpool
09-02-2016, 12:31 PM
A thought for the Newcastle Jets and Australian Football page.

Is there any way to segregate match preview/discussions and individual player threads into their own separate folders?

Am interested in people's thoughts

furns
09-02-2016, 12:53 PM
You want them in subforums? If that will make it easier for ppl happy to do it.
Or would it be easier to separate the Jets and Australian discussions into separate forums?

Thomas477
09-02-2016, 01:10 PM
I reckon move the game threads into their own sub folder and keep the rest as is.

Jeterpool
09-02-2016, 03:20 PM
Or would it be easier to separate the Jets and Australian discussions into separate forums?

I wouldn't say there is a heap of "Australian" football discussion. Most of it is Jets focused.

I'm happy to wait and see what others think and feedback as Thomas477 has done

hawk
04-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Whats the length of mfks ban? anyone?

pv4
04-10-2016, 10:37 AM
Whats the length of mfks ban? anyone?

IIRC he's not back into action until the home game v Sydney FC in December.

I said it at the time and I'll say it again (and Boz will probably argue against again) - he should be let back for the start of the season.

hawk
04-10-2016, 10:58 AM

I said it at the time and I'll say it again (and Boz will probably argue against again) - he should be let back for the start of the season.

oh, cheers

lquiquer
04-10-2016, 11:26 AM

Why isn't there an appeal process in place? ...... Even sokkha hoolz can appeal now....The Member is the victim of a Stalinist like system ruling the foz

Jeterpool
04-10-2016, 11:45 AM

This point sorta died, Furns. Any more consideration to the proposed re-organisation from the Mods or Admin group?

Bremsstrahlung
11-08-2023, 01:56 PM
It’s been a while since a Foz crash.

Has Vbulletin come up with any features in the last 8 years?
Would love a like or thumbs down (red card) function.