PDA

View Full Version : Nathan Burns or Ryan Griffiths?

pv4
18-11-2013, 09:43 AM
You have the option to get Nathan Burns out of his Korean contract & sign a 2 year deal with us, or you can let Burns go & sign Ryan Griffiths for 2 years. Which do you choose, and why?

Jeterpool
18-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Nathan Burns - Younger, quicker and trickier. Has more of a future with the team.

Rocknerd
18-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Griff Lite, too much bullshit from Burns last night that I feel a need to Junk Punch him for trying to be RVP when all he needed to do was be more like Scholes. Plus that Pen.............

Ask me again in a few weeks aye?

pv4
18-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Griff Lite, too much bullshit from Burns last night that I feel a need to Junk Punch him for trying to be RVP when all he needed to do was be more like Scholes. Plus that Pen.............

Ask me again in a few weeks aye?

Out of interest did you watch the game at the venue or on the TV?

Grimario
18-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Burns.

He looks enough like Bridges that the pro-Bridges brigade might mistake him for a talented version and want him on the teamsheet instead.

belchardo
18-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Nathan Burns - Younger, quicker and trickier. Has more of a future with the team.

agree

Thomas477
18-11-2013, 10:15 AM
I'd take both, but would have Burns over RyGriff given Burns hasn't ran out on the club chasing coin (not that I blame RyGriff, but he can't expect to be welcomed back with open arms over someone else).

BodyNovo
18-11-2013, 10:38 AM
both.

Grimario
18-11-2013, 10:46 AM
both.

Could be done. James Gardiner said in his live chat a few weeks ago that Gibbs was only ever signed as an injury replacement for Cooper... not an actual squad spot. So we apparently have one of them free.

GazFish35
18-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Griff.
Don't hate the player, hate the game. did what anyone else would do in trying to earn as much coin as he can while he can, so his family is set up.
Has nothing to prove on the field so can come in and be a leader that we need.

having said that, id rather keep them both.

parksey
18-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Burns or both

BodyNovo
18-11-2013, 10:52 AM
forgot about mitch cooper he is a classy act that hopefully has been scared of by this injuries.

honestly even if you only had him as a bench player/squad player. r griff can score goals when you need them and is a great penalty taker....burns:blush:

but burns is probably the most naturally gifted player we have had in our squad since vignaroli

Grimario
18-11-2013, 10:55 AM
forgot about mitch cooper he is a classy act that hopefully has been scared of by this injuries.

honestly even if you only had him as a bench player/squad player. r griff can score goals when you need them and is a great penalty taker....burns:blush:

but burns is probably the most naturally gifted player we have had in our squad since vignaroli

Bridges.

(And I say that without sarcasm. Should have left the boots hung up instead of unretiring)

The Dunster
18-11-2013, 10:59 AM
R Griff. He scores goals. Simple as that.

Grimario
18-11-2013, 11:08 AM
R Griff. He scores goals. Simple as that.

Ahead of who though, given that the left wing role Burns is now performing is nothing remotely like the one that RyuGriff was doing? He isn't going to be a striker ahead of Heskey or Taggart and he isn't going to play on the right as a winger either.

Unless GVE has plans to move to a 442, I honestly don't see where Griff fits into the lineup.

BodyNovo
18-11-2013, 11:13 AM
but for a squad player/bench player (if he is willing to take a lower wage) you would take him wouldn't you over bridges/gibbs/other rubbish options.

Jeterpool
18-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Could be done. James Gardiner said in his live chat a few weeks ago that Gibbs was only ever signed as an injury replacement for Cooper... not an actual squad spot. So we apparently have one of them free.

That's interesting! I thought he was the replacement for Jesic

Grimario
18-11-2013, 11:34 AM
but for a squad player/bench player (if he is willing to take a lower wage) you would take him wouldn't you over bridges/gibbs/other rubbish options.

For sure. But I just can't see Griff coming back as a bench warmer who scores goals in the NYL... can you?

If it's Burns on the left or Griff on the left, Burns would definitely be my preference.

pv4
18-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Gibbs was originally signed for the entire 2013/14 season with no mention of injury replacement.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-sign-Joey-Gibbs/67158

The Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets have signed striker Joey Gibbs for the 2013/14 A-League season.

Grimario
18-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Gibbs was originally signed for the entire 2013/14 season with no mention of injury replacement.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-sign-Joey-Gibbs/67158

You mean JG is telling porkies? He did say "it's a little known fact that Gibbs was only signed as an injury replacement for Cooper. Was originally for the entire season but Cooper's rehab is well ahead of schedule. There is squad room to move Gibbs into the full roster though".

BodyNovo
18-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Joey Gibbs couldn't get into a wanderers squad that had kresinger

He is also a confessed gypo

we may as well have kept jesic.

Grimario
18-11-2013, 11:46 AM
You mean JG is telling porkies? He did say "it's a little known fact that Gibbs was only signed as an injury replacement for Cooper. Was originally for the entire season but Cooper's rehab is well ahead of schedule. There is squad room to move Gibbs into the full roster though".

Yep, JG misinformed!

Newcastle Jets ‏@NewcastleJetsFC now
Full squad member "@_Grimario: @NewcastleJetsFC is Joey Gibbs a full squad member or was he signed as injury replacement for Mitch Cooper?"

howardyou
18-11-2013, 11:59 AM
I'd go with Burns. Younger, quicker and seems to fit our style of play well at the moment.

Griffiths whilst a similar player, lacks penetration. Burns has more x-factor about him.

plague
18-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Assuming both would be after similar wages? (sif Griffiths is gonna take less coin).

Burns.

Playing ability aside, resigning Griffiths sends a really bad message to other players in the club.
But with our current GM as if he'd give a shit about that.

pv4
18-11-2013, 12:20 PM
If Bridges really is the good guy everyone claims him to be, why doesn't he terminate his contract so we have a squad spot & salary cap money free to sign someone who will be more use to us?

true waterboy
18-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Burns.

While griff does score a few goes, I've always thought he was extremely overrated and lazy. seems to go missing for 90% of the game and has one or two plays of brilliance.

Burns on the other hand seems a really proactive player, although he hasn't converted his chances, he has created a lot of chances

Rocknerd
18-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Out of interest did you watch the game at the venue or on the TV?

At home with my Baby Girl. plenty of time watching replays and close ups of his massive ineptitude. As I said, I'm still fuming so my judgement is clouded. Plus I still hate that we signed him on Loan so anything he can do to help us evaporates come January 14.

leftrightout
18-11-2013, 02:22 PM
At home with my Baby Girl. plenty of time watching replays and close ups of his massive ineptitude. As I said, I'm still fuming so my judgement is clouded. Plus I still hate that we signed him on Loan so anything he can do to help us evaporates come January 14.

It's a bit of a funny question, you would have to say both though.
Burns looks like he is going to create plenty of goals for us this year but Ryan is a great finisher. Saying that if you had to pick one I would pick burns as we already have taggart playing and finishing like an even better griff!

pv4
18-11-2013, 02:28 PM
To everyone, but mostly the people saying both:

Can you post what your current squad, everyone fit, your choice of formation first XI assuming we had both Burns & Griffiths?

Grimario
18-11-2013, 02:32 PM

Can you post what your current squad, everyone fit, your choice of formation first XI assuming we had both Burns & Griffiths?

Birraz
Nev - Chapo - Aliens - Goodwin
Hoole - Beard - Zad - Burns
Tagz
Heskey

Or something like that.

Jeterpool
18-11-2013, 02:35 PM

How I would see it working is:

Same back 4

Same mid 3

Griff-----Heskey-----Burns

Both wingers able to cut in on their stronger foot opening room for the overlapping fullback.

I said Burns BTW - but just answering your question.

plague
18-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Hoole > Griffiths when all factors are considered.

GazFish35
18-11-2013, 02:56 PM
--------------BK
Cheers - Reg - Aliens - That kid we signed formt eheart who was going to set the world on fire
-------- Burbler --Zad -----
RyuGriff-----------------Booourns
------------Tagz-------------
----------------Heskey

BodyNovo
18-11-2013, 02:57 PM
4-4-2
---------------Biraz------------------
Neville---Jaliens---Chapman---Goodwin

Hoole---Brillante---Zadkovich---Burns

--------Taagart---Heskey-----------

Bench
BK
Kanta
Pepper/gallaway
Virgilli
R Griff

imagine heskey giving us 60-70 mins at full pace than bringing on r griff to replace him. perfection

pv4
18-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Thinking about it myself, I'd leave the team exactly how it is (but put Goodwin at LB).

Although noticeably slower than before, Kanta has been absolute beast mode the last few weeks. He's been "ignored" by all/most lineups so far, but he's been unreal. I also wouldn't interrupt Brillante & Zad, as they've been immense at just running opposition midfields rampant.

I can't help but want to keep our current front three of Hoole, Taggz & Burns together. They seem to be improving each week. From Magic to now, Hoole has just blown me out of the water. Some of the turns/passes he's been doing have been absolute gems. And he's making really good runs. Plus him & Neville seem to be getting along really well, which I didn't pick up on with Neville/Virgili.

So I would go:

--------------------Biraz-------------------
Neville---Chapman---Jaliens---Goodwin
------------------Kanta--------------------
---------Zad---------------Brillante-------
Hoole-----------Taggart-----------Burns

Heskey looked beast mode when he came on. Imagine the luxury of bringing on a big, strong finisher in the 70th minute against a tired defence. Heskey rarely loses a header, but against a tired/weakened defence he's even less likely to lose one. If we're chasing the game and bring him on, we can "revert" to long pumps and hope.

In summary - I am still yet to find a place to put Griff even if we did sign him.

leftrightout
18-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Would be a nice headache to have. Even more so if Goodwin could find form again.
Imagine having Heskey, taggart, burns, r.griff, hoole and an in form Goodwin!
I suppose it doesn't matter though, we have the right coach to **** it all up!

plague
18-11-2013, 03:26 PM
The whole episode yesterday has nothing to do with Griffiths coming back to the Jets.
He won't play 20 mins a game and he sure won't sign for peanuts.
His mate Middleby set up that TV appearance so his agent can get on the phone this morning to the other 9 clubs going "ooooh I think he's going to sign for the Jets but if you offer me something now I might get him to change his mind".
There's no room.
There's no money.
There's no need.

Good luck at Heart Ryan.

MFKS
18-11-2013, 06:13 PM

First of all there is no way in the ****ing world we should be looking to sign players to be bench players/squaddies. We have enough of them already Bridges/Mitchell/James Brown/Caravella etc.

If Ryan Griff isn't good enough to command a starting spot (and I have my doubts as to whether you could justify this with the emergence of Taggart/Hoole) we should not even bother asking him his wage requests.

As for bagging Burns about the penalty miss. Harsh call. Plenty of blokes miss them and to be perfectly fair I can't recall who the last Jets player was to actually miss one. (Anyone??). We have been on a pretty good run in recent years with converting them

If the thing had of been 8 inches lower and went in off the underside bar we would all be fapping today about how classy a piss take it was to blast it as as high as he did.

Hamma12
18-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Slobs ftw.

Jetmaster
18-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Missed pens - Sash and Tarek were the most comedic.

plague
18-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Missed pens - Sash and Tarek were the most comedic.

Zura. Griff even bestowed one on him and he cocked it up.
Also: Griff never missed, ever, not even in practice.

evolution
18-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Last one I can remember us missing was Songy in the semi against GCU.

MFKS
18-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Last one I can remember us missing was Songy in the semi against GCU.

That was in the penalty shoot out though wasn't it.??

Ry Griff banged in all the ones he had the last few years

evolution
18-11-2013, 06:40 PM
That was in the penalty shoot out though wasn't it.??

Sure was. Still counts!

MFKS
18-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Sure was. Still counts!

Ok then who was the last to miss in normal game time???

evolution
18-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Ok then who was the last to miss in normal game time???

The last one I can actually remember is Zura. I'm positive we would have missed one since then.

plague
18-11-2013, 07:18 PM
ATTENTION MODS:

First of all there is no way in the ****ing world we should be looking to sign players to be bench players/squaddies. We have enough of them already Bridges/Mitchell/James Brown/Caravella etc.

If Ryan Griff isn't good enough to command a starting spot (and I have my doubts as to whether you could justify this with the emergence of Taggart/Hoole) we should not even bother asking him his wage requests.

As for bagging Burns about the penalty miss. Harsh call. Plenty of blokes miss them and to be perfectly fair I can't recall who the last Jets player was to actually miss one. (Anyone??). We have been on a pretty good run in recent years with converting them

If the thing had of been 8 inches lower and went in off the underside bar we would all be fapping today about how classy a piss take it was to blast it as as high as he did.

A whole post by the Member regarding Jets personnel and fapping yet not one mention of Kale.
Clearly his account has been hacked. Can we get an urgent security audit in place.
Ta.

joel31
18-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Burns can dribble but hes a terrible passer, terrible crosser and terrible finisher, he lacks work rate, rarely chasing balls down

Pierre Essers
18-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Burns can dribble but hes a terrible passer, terrible crosser and terrible finisher, he lacks work rate, rarely chasing balls down

i think we must be watching different games?

The bloke is trying too hard if anything - his work rate is fantastic, gets up and back and does well in not letting them have easy outlet down their right.

Some of the technical aspects regarding the final third are a little rusty - however he is 6 games into a season after not playing the season before. Given some time it will come.

GazFish35
18-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Why has Burns suddenly become the new whipping boy?

furns
18-11-2013, 09:40 PM
James Brown isnt playing?

Grimario
18-11-2013, 09:49 PM
James Brown isnt playing?

Neither is Bridges.

One of the favourites from last year, Neville, has been great.
Zenon has mostly been in the wilderness after Round 1.
We haven't made much in the way of woeful defensive errors.
Surprised people aren't calling for Birraz head after that punched clearance that lead to their goal.
Lucky Taggart scored some goals - his head was on the block a few weeks ago :gent:
Heskey hasn't scored since last year either. He is a washed up, has been.
Zad needs to man up and not wear an undershirt.
The Beard needs to grow his beard some more.
Chapman should stop hoofing it/stop turning on the ball/stop passing back to Birraz/grow his hair longer to hide that forehead.
Kanta still isn't as good as the Bayern Kanta. Should drop him.
Pepper doesn't offer enough going forward.

Did I miss anyone?

q-money
18-11-2013, 09:53 PM
deans, you idiot

sh10
18-11-2013, 09:54 PM
ATTENTION MODS:

A whole post by the Member regarding Jets personnel and fapping yet not one mention of Kale.
Clearly his account has been hacked. Can we get an urgent security audit in place.
Ta.

Glad to foz is back, plague on fire like the old days

Grimario
18-11-2013, 09:55 PM
deans, you idiot

He's the genius behind our change in fortunes.

plague
18-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Neither is Bridges.

One of the favourites from last year, Neville, has been great.
Zenon has mostly been in the wilderness after Round 1.
We haven't made much in the way of woeful defensive errors.
Surprised people aren't calling for Birraz head after that punched clearance that lead to their goal.
Lucky Taggart scored some goals - his head was on the block a few weeks ago :gent:
Heskey hasn't scored since last year either. He is a washed up, has been.
Zad needs to man up and not wear an undershirt.
Chapman should stop hoofing it/stop turning on the ball/stop passing back to Birraz/grow his hair longer to hide that forehead.
Kanta still isn't as good as the Bayern Kanta. Should drop him.
Pepper doesn't offer enough going forward.

Did I miss anyone?

Middleby.

Thomas477
18-11-2013, 11:25 PM

This is the most pressing issue ATM with the Jets tbh.

pv4
19-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Why has Burns suddenly become the new whipping boy?

Because he looks like Bridges

GazFish35
19-11-2013, 08:05 AM

That's the only valid acceptable reason. Carry on.

cobra23
21-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Burns over griff,
younger , faster , more skilful, 1 penalty miss now people want his head :wtf:

Jetmaster
22-11-2013, 07:39 AM
If Burns stays after Christmas then we will see the best of him.

ATM he is trying to do too much too quickly because, basically, I don't think he really wants to leave.

Jetmaster
22-11-2013, 07:40 AM

Forza Bridgelet !

BodyNovo
22-11-2013, 07:47 AM
maybe there is a tactical ploy in all this.

if he plays sh*t (even though i think he has been playing fine) the south korean club may consider him useless and sell him for cheap to us.

well done burns.

militiamon
22-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Body's avatar :rof:

Outstanding.

joel31
22-11-2013, 02:26 PM
maybe there is a tactical ploy in all this.

if he plays sh*t (even though i think he has been playing fine) the south korean club may consider him useless and sell him for cheap to us.

well done burns.

He does quite well in training

pv4
22-11-2013, 02:40 PM
So the results so far:
Burns 19
Ryan Griffiths 12
Slobs 6

With a few posting in here abstaining altogether (vote or die, bitch).

Grimario
22-11-2013, 02:44 PM
I voted slobs because I think that's how I intend to vote on every poll... but Burns for me if you want to normalise slobs votes.

joel31
22-11-2013, 02:49 PM
I voted slobs because I don't want either

hawk
22-11-2013, 08:40 PM
jgriff

Jeterpool
22-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Someone on Facebook has suggested Ryan Griffiths could be a reasonable replacement for Labi.

What is he up to theses days?

cobra23
22-10-2015, 09:44 AM
Someone on Facebook has suggested Ryan Griffiths could be a reasonable replacement for Labi.

We need new blood..

plague
22-10-2015, 09:47 AM

Prob having a sook about something.

Probably at Gosford.
Gypo.

Blackmac79
22-10-2015, 12:28 PM
Prob having a sook about something.

Probably at Gosford.
Gypo.

Ban

plague
22-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Ban

Pffffft.
Can imagine Ryan Griffiths having a sook to the mods to get me rissoled though.

Jeterpool
29-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Ryan Griffiths tweeted he's on a plane for a medical at his next destination. Do we have space? As a bench option and experience in the squad he'd be a good addition

lquiquer
29-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Ryan Griffiths tweeted he's on a plane for a medical at his next destination. Do we have space? As a bench option and experience in the squad he'd be a good addition

He walked out on us .......in 2 mind if I want him back to be honest

Premy
29-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Didn't he say not long back that it was Newcastle or no where.

Jetmaster
29-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Didn't he say not long back that it was Newcastle or no where.

Didn't Nicky Carle say similar...?

Coin talks.

29-11-2015, 07:18 PM
A one legged Ryan > Watson