View Full Version : Newcastle United Jets 2013/2014 Squad thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Jeterpool
07-05-2014, 07:31 PM
according to SST and SBS on twitter we have signed Matt Jurman for 3 years

I'm actually not too bad with this if true

plague
07-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Glad the club has finally signed an overseas marquee.
Obviously Thomas Broich has opened some doors for us.

MFKS
07-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Hardly. Guy is a plonker. His ability going forward would make Gallaway look like Roberto Carlos.

Your obviously forgetting how bad Gallaway actually is and being generous in praise. :roflz:

Grimario
07-05-2014, 07:46 PM
I'm actually not too bad with this if true

Why? Apart from being a few years younger, is he an upgrade on Mitchell? At least Mitchell was a local. And is he an upgrade on Gallaway if he plays at left back? Going forward wasn't his strong point either, nor was speed. At least Gallaway has a bit of pace about him to get back when he is inevitably caught out.

Bigger disappointment is it probably means Chapman is gone too. Can't see us keeping him as a 4th choice.

Grimario
07-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Your obviously forgetting how bad Gallaway actually is and being generous in praise. :roflz:

There is only one player I can remember in the league who was worse at left back than Jurman... and that was Marc Warren.

Premy
07-05-2014, 08:04 PM
The thought of Hersi, Ferreira, Franjic & co running at Jurman is making me cringe already.

Jeterpool
07-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Why? Apart from being a few years younger, is he an upgrade on Mitchell? At least Mitchell was a local. And is he an upgrade on Gallaway if he plays at left back? Going forward wasn't his strong point either, nor was speed. At least Gallaway has a bit of pace about him to get back when he is inevitably caught out.

Bigger disappointment is it probably means Chapman is gone too. Can't see us keeping him as a 4th choice.

Initial gut feel. Not a great indicator I know but you raise a good point re: Chapman. I need to think about why I'm feeling ok but I'm unsure why at this stage

I will say I never paid much attention to him while playing for Sydney so I'm honestly not basing it on much viewing time

furns
07-05-2014, 08:33 PM
according to their foz he is not a 1st choice, at best a backup.
Why we need another one of those in our squad is beyond me, except its probably to provide another option with a left foot

sammydog
07-05-2014, 08:35 PM
I remember him playing with Brisbane more than anything, he was the weak link in the defence and other teams knew it.

Grimario
07-05-2014, 08:37 PM
I remember him playing with Brisbane more than anything, he was the weak link in the defence and other teams knew it.
Yep. I can't see how he fits in our squad unless we are defo not resigning Mitchell or Chapman is definitely gone. I guess he can play left back as well so maybe a versatile bench option?

according to their foz he is not a 1st choice, at best a backup.
Why we need another one of those in our squad is beyond me, except its probably to provide another option with a left foot

furns
07-05-2014, 08:44 PM
according to SST Chapman looks likely to go to Melbourne Heart/City

Thomas477
07-05-2014, 08:47 PM
FFS, KUTGW management.

You can change the coach, but the management is still full of crap.

Tommyjet
07-05-2014, 08:50 PM
If jurman is signed it won't be to play left back

hawk
08-05-2014, 12:33 AM
Has the club not learnt anything from signing A-League journeymen. FFS

+1

militiamon
08-05-2014, 12:59 AM
I don't know too much about Jurman, but he seems like an ok signing. The worrying thing for me is the length of the contract, as it does sound like a bit of a gamble for a player supposedly not considered to be a starter at another club.

I do remember him being rated as one of the best young players in the A-League a few seasons back, so he must have something about him.

hawk
08-05-2014, 01:18 AM
I don't know too much about Jurman, but he seems like an ok signing. The worrying thing for me is the length of the contract, as it does sound like a bit of a gamble for a player supposedly not considered to be a starter at another club.

I do remember him being rated as one of the best young players in the A-League a few seasons back, so he must have something about him.

is only 24, might be able to make a tackle

pv4
08-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Roar fans hate Jurman, they think he is useless. SFC fans think he went alright this year. But their defensive line was awful.

Not overly inspired by this atm. Would prefer Regan playing over Jurman at CB, and would prefer an actual LB if he's being looked at there.

Pico
08-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Herald saying that the Jurman signing is all management again, when will these idiots learn coaches need to sign their own players.

I’m also scratching my head how we just held a press conference regarding needing more experience and leadership and a better mental strength, then are linked to an average at best defender, who’s in his early 20’s and has never nailed a starting spot down, has been a weak link in defence in the past & to top it off it’s a three year deal.

leftrightout
08-05-2014, 10:39 AM
We have signed worse...

08-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Limited budget = less than inspiring signings.

This is just the start of a host of poverty pack budget style signings.

Hunter403
08-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Jurman! Another journeyman no other club really wants. Crap!

Chapman to Heart will haunt us in the future.

Grimario
08-05-2014, 03:28 PM
From the horses mouth...

Josh Mitchell ‏@Joshy_Mitchy 1m
Disappointing to leave my home town club but excited for a new challenge. Good luck to the @NewcastleJetsFC & Phil Stubbins next season.

Now, I don't particularly think he is an amazing player but he has played pretty well this season. To oust him, A NEWY LOCAL, for a shit journeyman like Jurman is a disc ****ing race.

Club ought to be ashamed.

Bon
08-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Now, I don't particularly think he is an amazing player but he has played pretty well this season. To oust him, A NEWY LOCAL, for a shit journeyman like Jurman is a disc ****ing race.

Club ought to be ashamed.

I agree, Grim..
Sure, he didnt start the season too well, but he was quite solid toward the back end of the season..

Premy
08-05-2014, 03:39 PM
From the horses mouth...

Club ought to be ashamed.Any mention to where his heading Grim.

Grimario
08-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Any mention to where his heading Grim.

None. Just that he isn't a Jet anymore.

This was the only other tweet.

Josh Mitchell ‏@Joshy_Mitchy
Thank you to all the jets fans for their support. Such a wonderful football community. Hopefully the club experience success in the future

Premy
08-05-2014, 03:54 PM
None. Just that he isn't a Jet anymore.

This was the only other tweet.
I now this has squat to do with football ability but he truly is a top bloke that loves the club going back to the NSL United days. Absolute disgrace if we have Jurman instead of Mitchell.

I could accept this path taken by the club if it was a clear improvement on what we already had but axing a Club men for a Journey men is disgraceful.
All the best for the future Joshy.

leftrightout
08-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Mitchell is not a good player - Fact
Jurman is certainly no better - Fact
Mitchell is a local - Fact
Jurman is not - Fact

Mitchell wins but i would really prefer neither of them. I know he had a few "decent" matches but he was no more than that, just decent.
Decent is what we always seem to settle for and why we always come mid table.

Grimario
08-05-2014, 04:20 PM
You have to have squad players though. Mitchell was exactly that AND left footed AND local. He's the perfect squad player - ideally him and Regz would be here for life as I don't think they are any better than that level and they aren't likely to be massive money drains.

parksey
08-05-2014, 04:29 PM
mitchell was actually one of our best in the back end of the season. he was very solid and formed a good partnership with kew.

the decision to sign jurman and release mitchell is actually quite baffling.

Jeterpool
08-05-2014, 04:37 PM
mitchell was actually one of our best in the back end of the season. he was very solid and formed a good partnership with kew.

I agree with what you say.

I said in the other thread I was ok with the Jurman signing, but I didn't think that was going to be in place of Mitchell.

plague
08-05-2014, 04:38 PM

Not forgetting that we seem to be signing Jurman to replace both Mitchell AND Chapman. This makes it even more baffling.

MFKS
08-05-2014, 05:00 PM

No its not.

The bloke is a average player at HAL level. We sit here and pontificate about getting the shits with coming 7th or worse every year yet then ****s are blowing up cause we release a bloke who got cut from a side as shit as Perth glory and did **** all here cause he is a local:banghead: Lets keep a pile of locals and be shit 4eva if thats the philosophy lets go for it. Club are doing the right thing by purging the weak so get off their case in that regard

The alleged decision to sign Jurman is slightly confusing and I hope we will be surprised when we get to see him as to how useful he can actually be.

What though is an outright ****ing disgrace is the club deciding to shop an under contract Connor Chapman around.

The words dumb ****s can't come out of my mouth quick enough.

The bloke can't be on that much coin and although not the end product I think we can see there is big potential there.

WHAT THE **** ARE WE DOING GIVING HIM AWAY FOR????

Grimario
08-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Local bloke on little coin as squad player. That's all Mitchell SHOULD be. Why the **** waste a spot on a useless turd like Jurman who every club has been happy to see the back of? He isn't a local, he isn't an upgrade. He can **** off.

leftrightout
08-05-2014, 05:22 PM
No its not.

The bloke is a average player at HAL level. We sit here and pontificate about getting the shits with coming 7th or worse every year yet then ****s are blowing up cause we release a bloke who got cut from a side as shit as Perth glory and did **** all here cause he is a local:banghead: Lets keep a pile of locals and be shit 4eva if thats the philosophy lets go for it. Club are doing the right thing by purging the weak so get off their case in that regard

The alleged decision to sign Jurman is slightly confusing and I hope we will be surprised when we get to see him as to how useful he can actually be.

What though is an outright ****ing disgrace is the club deciding to shop an under contract Connor Chapman around.

The bloke can't be on that much coin and although not the end product I think we can see there is big potential there.

I could not agree more with everything you have said there!

MFKS
08-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Local bloke on little coin as squad player. That's all Mitchell SHOULD be. Why the **** waste a spot on a useless turd like Jurman who every club has been happy to see the back of? He isn't a local, he isn't an upgrade. He can **** off.
Pepper Virgili Taylor BK etc.

We have a pile of locals doing sweet **** all filling up squad spots already.

Maybe high time we expected them to contribute a bit to some success rather than make up numbers. At least Kanta and Hoole are in the periphery of being selected most weeks. The others ain't

Grimario
08-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Do you not understand how a salary capped league works, you buffoon? If you want a quality starting 11, you have some pretty average players filling up the rest of the squad. BK and Regan are both more than adequate squad players, Pepper is a victim of the GvE years trying to turn him into a player he isn't. Agree about Virgili. Massive waster.

plague
08-05-2014, 05:53 PM
No its not.

Ok so you totally missed Parkseys point before going off on another ramble.
No one is really complaining that Mitchell has been cut. He was a squad player/backup who did a decent job, never a bloke to base the team around.
The problem is that he seems to have been replaced by a more expensive version of the same player. This now means that we will have to 'save' salary cap money in other areas to balance the books. Less to spend on a left back, #10, Griff etc.
That's the baffling bit.
Then when you factor in that Jurman is replacing Mitchell and Chapman and I'd say 'baffling' is one of the better words you can use that will get through the swear filter.

Pico
08-05-2014, 07:48 PM

The worst part is that its rumoured to be a three year deal, that an extra year more than Mitchell got after being discarded from Perth, have we learnt nothing from that experience, why do I ask, with the numpties at the helm at our club cast-offs are the order of business in assembling the Newcastle Poverty Pack.

pv4
08-05-2014, 07:51 PM
I was one of Mitchell's biggest fans this season, and I feel like his only fan last season. I always saw it as gves shit system that made him look bad. Which may not be wrong, as he really excelled under zane.

I'll miss him. A local who gave his 100% for the shirt. Thanks, Josh.

pv4
08-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Club confirmed Joey Gibbs & James Brown released too

stretch
08-05-2014, 08:11 PM
Club confirmed James Brown released too

Can we retain his glasses?

howardyou
08-05-2014, 08:36 PM
I agree with releasing all three. Mitchell was okay this last half of the season but that's about it. Do we want to improve?
There is no proof that we have lost chapman yet, so keep your powder dry. I hope we keep him.

The loss of Jurman is being mourned by Smurfs fans on 442. That is a good sign. Again, no confirmation on this either.

Conjecture and rumors FTW!

The Dunster
09-05-2014, 12:25 AM
Club confirmed Joey Gibbs & James Brown released too

Centrelink United ?

Tommyjet
09-05-2014, 05:49 AM
Brown will get picked up easily, someone will take him on the cheap petratos-style and he'll do alright

WolfMan
09-05-2014, 07:49 AM
I was one of Mitchell's biggest fans this season, and I feel like his only fan last season. I always saw it as gves shit system that made him look bad. Which may not be wrong, as he really excelled under zane.

I'll miss him. A local who gave his 100% for the shirt. Thanks, Josh.

You weren't alone. I thought he did more than enough to warrant new contract, if only for another 12 months to see what happened working with Stubbins.

leftrightout
09-05-2014, 08:20 AM
Brown will get picked up easily, someone will take him on the cheap petratos-style and he'll do alright

Yep watch him start destroying the league, scoring bombs from everywhere!

Jeterpool
09-05-2014, 08:29 AM
You weren't alone. I thought he did more than enough to warrant new contract, if only for another 12 months to see what happened working with Stubbins.

I was a critic, particulalry in his first season with us. I tend to think Parksey is on the money and that it was the system not suiting him. But his performances were much better later in the year.

I honestly thought he'd get re-signed.

pv4
09-05-2014, 08:54 AM
I was a critic, particulalry in his first season with us. I tend to think pv4 is on the money and that it was the system not suiting him. But his performances were much better later in the year.

I honestly thought he'd get re-signed.

FTFY m8

Jeterpool
09-05-2014, 08:59 AM
FTFY m8

:blush: my bad.

Jetmaster
09-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Herald reporting this morning via Middleby that Jurman has not signed....again some of you lot take rumours for granted and get worked up.

I really feel for Brown as he is a genuine talent - I honestly can see him coming back in a year or two for Adelaide or Brisbane and destroying us.

lil_masi
09-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Mitchell was crap for us for more than a season and a half. Was getting bagged by alot of people. I admit he was solid for the last few game of the season but we cant settle for mediocrity. Its the same with players like pepper,virgilli and galloway, they're average most of the time have a few good games a season and sign them again for another 2 years! Its ridiculous.

Frodo
09-05-2014, 11:16 AM
I don't care if they cut players as long they aren't replaced with mediocre recruits.

I'd like to know why the club seems to have no Scouting Network at all. I mean overseas and within Aus. They seem to expect good players to come asking the club for a contract and the youth system to produce quality players every year. I know this isn't FIFA 14 but surely we should be able to find some information on players in other Asian leagues and such. Or even keeping tabs on young Aussies who try to make it overseas.
Instead of picking up whoever is off contract that year to plug gaps in your team, maybe we need to work out what sort of player we actually want and then actively find them. Hunt them down and find players who really want to move here and aren't just looking for a couple more years of football.

Grimario
09-05-2014, 11:24 AM
I am with everyone on the "don't care if they cut players" bit. Brown and Gibbs didn't show anywhere near enough in their time here to be extended and Mitchell only showed patches of it. The problem is that the potential replacement that half a dozen media outlets are talking about screams mediocrity and doesn't come with ANY of the good things that Mitchell has about him.

If we announce the signing tomorrow of Devere/Madaschi/Wright/Lowry... hell, even Thwaite or an unknown quantity from a state league side... as his replacement, consider me enthused. If we announce Jurman/Gerhardt/any number of other mediocre A-League contract terminations, consider me well and truly bemused.

Bon
09-05-2014, 11:58 AM
If we announce the signing tomorrow of Devere/Madaschi/Wright/Lowry... hell, even Thwaite or an unknown quantity from a state league side... as his replacement, consider me enthused. If we announce Jurman/Gerhardt/any number of other mediocre A-League contract terminations, consider me well and truly bemused.

Word is that we are looking to sign Warren from Sydney too..
Word being what I just made up in my head cause I couldn't think of a worse defensive signing..

Beeen
09-05-2014, 12:02 PM
That guy has had to reimburse every pro club he's played with for being utterly shite.

belchardo
09-05-2014, 12:42 PM
we'll probably go for Contreras as international marquee.

q-money
09-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Word being what I just made up in my head cause I couldn't think of a worse defensive signing..

:rof:

Jeterpool
09-05-2014, 12:53 PM

I nearly spat my drink out you bastard

MFKS
09-05-2014, 01:14 PM

Should be an intriguing battle with Gallaway to see whom is actually the weakest link

pv4
09-05-2014, 02:02 PM
I don't care if they cut players as long they aren't replaced with mediocre recruits.

I'd like to know why the club seems to have no Scouting Network at all. I mean overseas and within Aus. They seem to expect good players to come asking the club for a contract and the youth system to produce quality players every year. I know this isn't FIFA 14 but surely we should be able to find some information on players in other Asian leagues and such. Or even keeping tabs on young Aussies who try to make it overseas.
Instead of picking up whoever is off contract that year to plug gaps in your team, maybe we need to work out what sort of player we actually want and then actively find them. Hunt them down and find players who really want to move here and aren't just looking for a couple more years of football.

How do you entice these players over here, though? They earn 3x + more money in Asia/Europe. We're not in a major city. We're not the biggest & most successful club in the country. We don't have ACL to entice players (see: Kim & to a lesser extent Bosnar going to CCM). There's not a lot going on for us to actually attract players.

pv4
09-05-2014, 02:03 PM
we'll probably go for Contreras as international marquee.

He has retired.

FWIW I really rated him. Tiago v2.

furns
09-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Herald reporting this morning via Middleby that Jurman has not signed....again some of you lot take rumours for granted and get worked up.

I really feel for Brown as he is a genuine talent - I honestly can see him coming back in a year or two for Adelaide or Brisbane and destroying us.I dont know about anybody else, but I was quite specific that we were looking to sign him not that we had actually signed him.

Frodo
09-05-2014, 02:40 PM
How do you entice these players over here, though? They earn 3x + more money in Asia/Europe. We're not in a major city. We're not the biggest & most successful club in the country. We don't have ACL to entice players (see: Kim & to a lesser extent Bosnar going to CCM). There's not a lot going on for us to actually attract players.

I guess that's what we all hope Stubby can create here. Adelaide managed to entice some quality players with nothing more than a clear vision of where they want to be and a coach with Spanish contacts. Now i'm not saying we have those things but we have the potential to create an atmosphere similar to that. Stubbs would have some links in England and Thailand. (isn't Zane's father-in-law VP of Chelsea?)
I think the best take away from Adelaide is that they knew exactly what sort of player they needed and went and got them. Stubbs should steal some of his old backroom staff and clean out the crap within the Jets organisation.

Here's dreaming...

Bon
09-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Chapman's contract has been mutually terminated..

joel31
09-05-2014, 04:35 PM

i can confirm that the club at least tracks young players doing well overseas from an inside source but has no scouting network within Australia with the reason that there is only one professional division so they see all players and they have some contacts overseas but no scouts as such

Grimario
09-05-2014, 04:36 PM

Shambolic.

joel31
09-05-2014, 04:37 PM
I don't understand. so much potential could have a fresh new start under Stubbins but another player who will tear the league at another club.

belchardo
09-05-2014, 04:44 PM
disappointing, but I'm hoping this was stubbin's decision, not middleby's. brave new dawn and all that.

can't wait to see him come back and save 4 goals off the line and bang in 6 headers with his gi-normous forehead.

good luck chappy!

pv4
09-05-2014, 04:58 PM
i can confirm that the club at least tracks young players doing well overseas from an inside source but has no scouting network within Australia with the reason that there is only one professional division so they see all players and they have some contacts overseas but no scouts as such

In terms of Australian players it's not freaking hard. Watch HAL teams, easy. Go to OSAussies website to find who is getting gametime, easy.

Realistically no team in the hal has decent scouts for foreign talent. The only reason Roar got Broich & Berisha is they are both former teammates of Dario Vidosic, so as Rado intently watched all Dario's games he saw talent in that side and told Roar about them.

No disrespect, but the extent of HAL clubs scouts o/s is the likes of goaliepersempre updating the Swiss league thread. Apart from an agent or two, who peddle their own clients, or maybe a TD of a club or NT overseas, no HAL club has the drive or money to scout foreign talent. Or maybe just word of mouth with current/former players. That's it.

The Dunster
09-05-2014, 04:58 PM

Always enjoyed watching Chapman play, especially for the Youth league team where he was given more freedom to show his skills.

Highlights for me was watching him man up and meet the challenge of an aggressive Charlestown team in the State League - when the rest of his team shat themselves; and

His free kick over the wall that was buried into the top corner against Hamilton Olympic. Why he never was given similar opportunities in A-league is a mystery.

Look forward to seeing him lead the Socceroos in the future.

Grimario
09-05-2014, 05:10 PM
So the Stubbins out thread got deleted? Shame, would be a great spot to put all the current Facebook posts cheering the Chapman release of why not having the wider public here is a great thing.

Grimario
09-05-2014, 05:15 PM
"Thank **** for that. I've seen better defenders in all ages"
"Yussss! Club finally gonna get rid of all the drips!!!!!!"
"He cost us so many games last season glad his gone"
"Hope we play bridges at cb now"
"It's Friday and they got rid of Chapman. Can this dayget any better?"
"Best news I've ever read"
"This makes me so happy"
"Thank God he's the shittest Centre back I've ever seen"

furns
09-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Clearly there were behind the scenes issues with him - his attitude went to shit after he came back from international duty and didnt walk straight back into the starting XI. No doubting his talent, but if he doesnt gel with the team then its the right decision to cut him loose.

furns
09-05-2014, 05:31 PM
In terms of Australian players it's not freaking hard. Watch HAL teams, easy. Go to OSAussies website to find who is getting gametime, easy.

Realistically no team in the hal has decent scouts for foreign talent. The only reason Roar got Broich & Berisha is they are both former teammates of Dario Vidosic, so as Rado intently watched all Dario's games he saw talent in that side and told Roar about them.

No disrespect, but the extent of HAL clubs scouts o/s is the likes of goaliepersempre updating the Swiss league thread. Apart from an agent or two, who peddle their own clients, or maybe a TD of a club or NT overseas, no HAL club has the drive or money to scout foreign talent. Or maybe just word of mouth with current/former players. That's it.
Actually you are wrong. City are using their network to scout talent for Heart/New York. SST have said that City scouts were looking at an Argentinian GK for Heart on this weeks show.

pv4
09-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Actually you are wrong. City are using their network to scout talent for Heart/New York. SST have said that City scouts were looking at an Argentinian GK for Heart on this weeks show.

Sorry, the Heart/city thing wasn't taken into consideration in my post.

Pico
09-05-2014, 06:03 PM
"Thank **** for that. I've seen better defenders in all ages"
"Yussss! Club finally gonna get rid of all the drips!!!!!!"
"He cost us so many games last season glad his gone"
"Hope we play bridges at cb now"
"It's Friday and they got rid of Chapman. Can this dayget any better?"
"Best news I've ever read"
"This makes me so happy"
"Thank God he's the shittest Centre back I've ever seen"

Can't wait to see these geniuses assessment of Jurman if he signs, Chapman had more talent in the left side of his forehead then Jurman will ever amass.

MFKS
09-05-2014, 06:07 PM
MIDDLEBY OUT

****ing disgraceful releasing this bloke for NOTHING.

Not happy tell him to work hard for his spot. Still can't get the matter resolved then FFS get a transfer fee for the bloke.

Its a good thing this CEO of ours is on the ball and useful at running our club with precision and making the best of every decision for us.

****ING DIS GRACE

Pico
09-05-2014, 06:11 PM

Its really where your like of Okon come into their own they have seen the youth from AIS level up to the joeys and know who has the right sort of attitude and who the promising players are. They generally have the ability to sign the more promising youngsters as they may have worked with them in the past.

Its one of the short comings I fear about stubbins, he has been out of the loop in aus for a while, has no prior history of being a top flight manager, has not ACL opportunities to offer and we are a regional team with an increasingly unstable owner. If I'm a player this is the last joint I'd be rocking upto if i had decent offers.

As far as Stubbins OS contacts go hopefully he got some decent contact's while he was at Adelaide and while he was serving in his variety of roles in Asia, but I fear a well travelled and Family connected Zane might even be able to trump Big Phil on those OS contacts anyway.

q-money
09-05-2014, 06:16 PM
kaz patafta scored a goal for sydney croaysha the other night sign him up big phil

ARF

Jetmaster
09-05-2014, 06:22 PM
I dont know about anybody else, but I was quite specific that we were looking to sign him not that we had actually signed him.

Exactly - but look at some of the posts after where some people assume fait accompli....

GazFish35
09-05-2014, 06:38 PM
He wanted guaranteed first team football.

**** off back to the amateur leagues then. Even there you have to prove yourself.

furns
09-05-2014, 06:39 PM
kaz patafta scored a goal for sydney croaysha the other night sign him up big phil

ARF
Get Ontong back while you are at it

leftrightout
09-05-2014, 07:04 PM
I think its bait shit as well but what can you do with player who wants out.
City is obviously a pretty attractive place at the moment, he wasn't getting starts here at the back end of last season, the bloke who bought him here got the sack and he didn't get a look in after that.
If he wants out, whats the point in keeping him? He can have all the talent in the world, but if he doesn't want to play its a wasted spot.
People on the foz are always talking about wanting guys playing with passion and "for the shirt". If he doesn't want to play for our club than i think its a good decision to let him go.

parksey
09-05-2014, 07:32 PM
MIDDLEBY OUT

****ing disgraceful releasing this bloke for NOTHING.

Not happy tell him to work hard for his spot. Still can't get the matter resolved then FFS get a transfer fee for the bloke.

Its a good thing this CEO of ours is on the ball and useful at running our club with precision and making the best of every decision for us.

****ING DIS GRACE

there's no transfer fees between HAL clubs, big son.

Jeterpool
09-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Disappointing.

The only plus I can take from this is that Zenon can get a good tackle in on him.

All seriousness player power sucks

goaliepersempre
09-05-2014, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the mention haha... but yeah the scouting in Aus its pretty poor to say the least... (I could provide a list of players that would do well in the A League from here in Switzerland (oh and im not mentioning a ritter level) players in the Super and Challenge league)...

Oh and Dario is playing really well in the crack pot club that is sion... also hate to say it but the Gypo Luzern is still doing ok...

halo se7en
10-05-2014, 08:17 AM
I think its bait shit as well but what can you do with player who wants out.
City is obviously a pretty attractive place at the moment, he wasn't getting starts here at the back end of last season, the bloke who bought him here got the sack and he didn't get a look in after that.
If he wants out, whats the point in keeping him? He can have all the talent in the world, but if he doesn't want to play its a wasted spot.
People on the foz are always talking about wanting guys playing with passion and "for the shirt". If he doesn't want to play for our club than i think its a good decision to let him go.

That's exactly right. The kid was a favourite of GVE but even then he struggled to get time after coming back from O/S. So what does that tell you? Does he really think he's going to get a regular first team spot at City?? I thought they'd have their sights set a lot higher than that. He has potential sure, but potential takes time and doesn't always pan out. I'd say nearly every one of Chapman's toys has been thrown out of the pram for them to mutually terminate - so good riddance.

Grimario
10-05-2014, 09:27 AM
One of the common themes on fb is that he is a massive pisshead and a heavy smoker. ****ing hell, if that's legit he CAN **** off without any regrets from me. What kind of serious non darts playing professional sports person does that these days?

q-money
10-05-2014, 09:32 AM
dimitar berbatov

Jeterpool
10-05-2014, 01:46 PM
One of the common themes on fb is that he is a massive pisshead and a heavy smoker. ****ing hell, if that's legit he CAN **** off without any regrets from me. What kind of serious non darts playing professional sports person does that these days?

Agree. If you're lucky enough to get a run at a professional contract then you need to take it seriously. If that's true then that is certainly not what a modern-day football pro should do.

I agree with what Furns said in the other thread. If he's really serious then he would fight to get his position back. Clearly he wants the easy way out.

The Dunster
10-05-2014, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't care if a player drank their own piss - as long as they could play quality football.

Smoking as much as I'm against it really doesn't have any noticeable effects on a players fitness until they are in their 30's.

Mark325
11-05-2014, 09:52 PM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1188957/Griffiths-seals-new-one-year-deal

Yay, finally the signing we've all been waiting for

joel31
11-05-2014, 10:10 PM
phew

plague
11-05-2014, 11:34 PM
What kind of serious non darts playing professional sports person does that these days?

Tony Abbotts daughter.
Cliffy Lyons.
Boonie.
The kid from Arsenal, Wilkshire or Ramsey I forget which one.

Bungers can be extremely liberating and chicks think they're cool as all get up.

MFKS
12-05-2014, 12:02 AM
Pretty certain Paul Inca used to be a big smoker when he played.

Didn't seem to effect his career at manure inter until he ended up at liverstool

pv4
13-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Looking at our squad for next season, and assuming we make the two signings I'm thinking we should and could, we could be lining up something like:

--------------Biraz--------------
Brillante--Jaliens--Regan--Carney
--------------Rubez--------------
Hoole--------Flores---------Burns
-----------Griff---Taggz---------

With BK, Neville, Goodwin, Kanta, Caravella on the bench.

If we lose Taggz, we need another striker to replace him. Even if we don't, we need a decent backup option for him & Griff. If we lose Brillante, we at least need a RB cover for Neville. And if we lose Biraz, we need a replacement (and TBH I'd be looking at a bench keeper, and give BK a decent chance).

The weakness in my team above is, I think, Rubez. He's one of my favourites, and I love him to death, but I am constantly finding excuses to want to not use him. I love his leadership, I love how much he gives for the shirt, but I can't help but think I'd much rather Kanta, Jobe, or as a big step up a Paartalu/Milligan/Brattan type holding mid.

Premy
13-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Looking at our squad for next season, and assuming we make the two signings I'm thinking we should and could, we could be lining up something like:

--------------Biraz--------------
Brillante--Jaliens--Regan--Carney
--------------Rubez--------------
Hoole--------Flores---------Burns
-----------Griff---Taggz---------

With BK, Neville, Goodwin, Kanta, Caravella on the bench.

If we lose Taggz, we need another striker to replace him. Even if we don't, we need a decent backup option for him & Griff. If we lose Brillante, we at least need a RB cover for Neville. And if we lose Biraz, we need a replacement (and TBH I'd be looking at a bench keeper, and give BK a decent chance).

The weakness in my team above is, I think, Rubez. He's one of my favourites, and I love him to death, but I am constantly finding excuses to want to not use him. I love his leadership, I love how much he gives for the shirt, but I can't help but think I'd much rather Kanta, Jobe, or as a big step up a Paartalu/Milligan/Brattan type holding mid.

Think you'll find a Certain Korean based Australian CB might be signed up soon too.

Jeterpool
13-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Think you'll find a Certain Korean based Australian CB might be signed up soon too.

Cornthwaite Robert 25/10/1985 28 Chunnan Dragons Korea Rep. (1) K-League Classic Defender 26/4/14 Unused sub.
DeVere Luke 05/11/1989 24 Gyeongham FC Korea Rep. (1) K-League Classic Defender 26/4/14 Started
Wilkinson Alex 13/08/1984 29 Jeonbuk Hyundai (ACL) Korea Rep. (1) K-League Classic Defender 26/4/14 Started
Hamill Brendan 18/09/1992 21 Seongham Illwa Korea Rep. (1) K-League Classic Defender Loan return December 2013

leftrightout
13-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Stubbins and The Golden Cornthwaite would know each other well from Adelaide

pv4
13-05-2014, 08:58 AM
If it's Devere I will be putting money on us to win the comp. I rate him so highly. One of the best CBs at dribbling the ball the HAL has seen IMO.

But best guess as others has said would be Cornthwaite.

Premy
13-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Stubbins and The Golden Cornthwaite would know each other well from Adelaide
That's what the grapevine says

leftrightout
13-05-2014, 09:22 AM
That's what the grapevine says

He should be a solid central defender in the a-league. Has a bit of a knack of scoring goals as well. We might actually do something from a set piece (assuming carney signs, we need someone who can get the ball in)

Jeterpool
13-05-2014, 09:31 AM
He should be a solid central defender in the a-league. Has a bit of a knack of scoring goals as well. We might actually do something from a set piece (assuming carney signs, we need someone who can get the ball in)

Agree

pv4
13-05-2014, 09:34 AM
I genuinely see Cornthwaite as being no better than Josh Mitchell TBH. But I do have a lot higher views of Mitchell than most supporters, it seems.

I guess the thing I'll be happy with if it's Cornthwaite is it means Stubbins has at least a little bit of familiarity in the club to kick things off. Surrounding himself with people he knows will only allow him to settle in easier.

leftrightout
13-05-2014, 09:41 AM
I genuinely see Cornthwaite as being no better than Josh Mitchell TBH. But I do have a lot higher views of Mitchell than most supporters, it seems.

I guess the thing I'll be happy with if it's Cornthwaite is it means Stubbins has at least a little bit of familiarity in the club to kick things off. Surrounding himself with people he knows will only allow him to settle in easier.

It would also be a good sign that players he has been involved with respect him and want to play for him.
That, to me, is a big positive!

GazFish35
13-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Doncaster have Korean owner.

It'll be Neill.

This post may or may not be complete bullshit.

Imyourhero
13-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Rio Ferdinand??

joel31
13-05-2014, 02:48 PM
cornthwaite is better than mitchell and reegz but no better than Topor who is also off contract

leftrightout
13-05-2014, 03:33 PM
cornthwaite is better than mitchell and reegz but no better than Topor who is also off contract

I reckon Topor would come at a higher price though.

Jeterpool
13-05-2014, 03:42 PM

Maybe. Ol' Robbie's an international now.

Grimario
13-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Maybe. Ol' Robbie's an international now.

So is Topor...

plague
13-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Rio Ferdinand??

Aren't the elderly advised not to fly long distances?

joel31
13-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Aren't the elderly advised not to fly long distances?
doesn't stop my grandparents. They go for an overseas trip every single year

joel31
13-05-2014, 04:57 PM
but he already knows the club and is a better defender
Either way both Cornthwaite and Topor would complement Kew who would be the ball player

lquiquer
03-06-2014, 07:49 PM
So Zad didn't want to leave.....The club made it clear to him he wasn't part of the future...as per Zad on NBN

Tommyjet
03-06-2014, 07:57 PM
while I admire zads spirit and passion I agree with stubbins in that if you want to play possession football you don't need midfielders like zadkovich with poor passing and vision. Freeing up zads wage would also of played a part but total respect to stubbins for making a tough decision that I believe will lead to a more balanced squad

lquiquer
03-06-2014, 08:20 PM
while I admire zads spirit and passion I agree with stubbins in that if you want to play possession football you don't need midfielders like zadkovich with poor passing and vision. Freeing up zads wage would also of played a part but total respect to stubbins for making a tough decision that I believe will lead to a more balanced squad

Yeah was just saying.....I won't miss him

Jeterpool
03-06-2014, 08:29 PM
So Zad didn't want to leave.....The club made it clear to him he wasn't part of the future...as per Zad on NBN

What was said?

lquiquer
03-06-2014, 08:33 PM
He said he was shocked when the club told him to look somewhere else because he wasn't part of the plan

lquiquer
03-06-2014, 08:35 PM
What was said?

http://www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php/2014/06/03/ruben-zadkovich-reveals-he-never-wanted-to-leave-newcastle/

Jeterpool
03-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Legend. Cheers.

He held it together and implied things without disgracing himself.

halo se7en
03-06-2014, 10:23 PM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/06/03/jets-set-unveil-latin-american-striker

Any ideas…?

lquiquer
03-06-2014, 10:24 PM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/06/03/jets-set-unveil-latin-american-striker

Diego Milito?

WolfMan
03-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Anyone else notice the part about future "marquees" coming in under the cap?

Joke

MFKS
04-06-2014, 01:23 AM

Any ideas…?

I will smuggle someone home in my luggage

Who do we want???

Jeterpool
04-06-2014, 07:50 AM

Joke

Yep. Hmmmmmm

foti68
04-06-2014, 08:03 AM

Joke

I would assume that this guy would be our marquee signing import, so any other imports would have to fit under the cap, I think that's what he means. in regard to our other marquess Taggart would fill the under 21 spot if he stays and we have the senior australian spot vacant.

pv4
04-06-2014, 08:09 AM
Yeah, the bit about the marquee fitting inside the salary cap wasn't a quote but written by the journo. All Stubbins has said is exactly what Middleby has been peddling for years - they have their own budget in mind, and it's a matter of finding the right players with the right quality to fit inside that budget. Whether that self-imposed-budget is x% of the salary cap AND $xxxxxxx on a marquee player, or just x% of the salary cap - only they know.

Two-three years ago Robbie Middleby promised the people of Newcastle that money was set aside for both an international AND Australian marquee player. We got our international marquee, but never saw our Australian one. I want to know where those set aside funds went to.

Pico
04-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Yeah, the bit about the marquee fitting inside the salary cap wasn't a quote but written by the journo. All Stubbins has said is exactly what Middleby has been peddling for years - they have their own budget in mind, and it's a matter of finding the right players with the right quality to fit inside that budget. Whether that self-imposed-budget is x% of the salary cap AND $xxxxxxx on a marquee player, or just x% of the salary cap - only they know.

Two-three years ago Robbie Middleby promised the people of Newcastle that money was set aside for both an international AND Australian marquee player. We got our international marquee, but never saw our Australian one. I want to know where those set aside funds went to.

The Culina's termination payment?

Jeterpool
04-06-2014, 08:31 AM
The Culina's termination payment?

That was my first thought.

Grimario
04-06-2014, 09:29 AM

Any ideas…?

Someone has jokingly said Richard Porta elsewhere.

PC14
04-06-2014, 12:01 PM
Adriano? Debuted for Brazil at 18 and is currently a free agent!

q-money
04-06-2014, 12:15 PM
and is fat and has a terrible attitude

sign him up tinks!

la bazzle
04-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Zwaanswijk has been sacked as Mariners youth coach.

That should have a massive impact on our squad next season

leftrightout
04-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Zwaanswijk has been sacked as Mariners youth coach.
:what:

Jeterpool
04-06-2014, 03:37 PM
:what:

wrong thread - I meant this for the daily news thread. Blame lack of sleep from a new born. My bad. post deleted

borat
04-06-2014, 03:52 PM

Any ideas…?

Interesting that Stubbins described the signing as playing in tandem with either Griffiths of Taggart. Sounds like we are signing a starting striker and playing 2 upfront.

borat
04-06-2014, 03:56 PM

I think you are being way too harsh on Rubes. If we had a creative player in the squad playing in the 10 you might see the best out of Ruben instead of having to create himself which is not his game. If we were any of the top 5 clubs we would be keeping Rubes and still signing a No 10 rather than the trade offs we are accustomed to being jets supporters.

pv4
04-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Interesting that Stubbins described the signing as playing in tandem with either Griffiths of Taggart. Sounds like we are signing a starting striker and playing 2 upfront.

Either 2 up front or a front three of:

Griff-----New ST----Taggz

Judging from Adelaide fans I've talked to, Stubbins preferred a 4-4-2 with diamond midfield when he looked to have some form of control over the team.

------------------Biraz--------------------------------
Neville--Jaliens--Cornthwaite/Beauchamp--Goodwin
------------------Brillante------------------------------
Griff---------------------------------------------Carney
---------------------Burns------------------------------
----------------Taggz---New ST------------------------

Doesn't look the worst to me.

Grimario
04-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Neville--Jaliens--Cornthwaite/Beauchamp--Carney
------------------Kanta------------------------------
Griff---------------------------------------------Burns
---------------------Brillante------------------------------
----------------Taggz---Sam Striker------------------------

Doesn't look the worst to me.

Calling him Sam because he will be South American, obviously.

Grimario
04-06-2014, 04:30 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4019/transfer-zone/2014/06/04/4859357/axed-birighitti-looks-to-seal-leverkusen-switch?ICID=HP_BN_1

The goalkeeper, overlooked for the final Socceroos' squad, could make up for the blow by securing a dream move to one of Europe's biggest leagues

Mark Birighitti hopes to get over the disappointment of being cut from Australia's World Cup squad by finalising a move to Bundesliga club Bayer Leverkusen.

The goalkeeper was one of four players left out of Ange Postecoglou's final 23-man roster for the tournament in Brazil.

Unlike fellow cast-offs Tom Rogic, Josh Kennedy and Luke Wilkshire, he will remain in camp until the Socceroos' first Group B clash against Chile on June 13 as cover for Mat Ryan, Mitch Langerak and Eugene Galekovic.

The 23-year-old also has something to look forward to in the wake of his omission, with the Newcastle Jets man potentially set to join fellow Socceroo Robbie Kruse at the BayArena next season.

"It's still up in the air at the moment," he told Goal Australia.

"They're still pretty keen. It's out of my hands now. I left a good impression over there. They were quite happy with me, with the way I went. I'm just playing a waiting game now.

"Obviously getting called up into this squad, it definitely helps quite a bit with my chances over there."

Birighitti liked what he saw when he travelled to Germany to train with Leverkusen in March and believes he left a favourable impression on the coaching staff and club officials.

"That was a fantastic experience, going over there to one of the biggest clubs in Germany," he said.

"A real eye-opener.

"To be fair it wasn't a trial, it was more just getting over there, having a look at the club. Meeting up with the coach, the players. I was only there for about three days, only trained twice or three times. It was a good experience. I had a look around the club ... they're real nice guys.

"It's a club that every young footballer dreams of playing at. It's a big club over there in a good league. I'm hopeful that it comes off."

The shot-stopper isn't taking anything for granted though, and isn't presumptuous enough to throw himself in language classes until he signs on the dotted line.

"I haven't practiced it yet," he said when asked about the standard of his German.

"Once the deal is finalised and gets over the line then I may (have to) start practicing."

The former Adelaide United player is trying to keep things in perspective, claiming he will have no problems remaining at Hunter Stadium under new coach Phil Stubbins if the Leverkusen transfer does not transpire.

"Just recently I signed a two-year deal with Newcastle," he said.

"It's a great club, I love the club, with great supporters, a good playing group. Another two years here in the A-League is not going to hurt me.

"(But) it's every young footballers dream (in) the best leagues in the world. You look at goalkeepers who have been overseas, Mitch Langerak, Mat Ryan, Schwarzy (Mark Schwarzer). They're playing at big clubs overseas."

Although Birighitti and defender Josh Brillante were ultimately deemed surplus to requirements by Postecoglou, the Jets do have golden boot-winner Adam Taggart as a representative in the final 23.

The presence of the striker and other domestic-based players should be a source of pride to Newcastle and the competition as a whole, according to Birighitti.

"For them to see three of their boys in the Socceroos squad, it's big for them as well," he said.

"It goes to show how far the A-League has come. There's many other A-League boys in this squad that have been standouts."

Mark325
04-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Neville--Jaliens--Cornthwaite/Beauchamp--Goodwin
------------------Brillante------------------------------
Griff---------------------------------------------Carney
---------------------Burns------------------------------
----------------Taggz---New ST------------------------

The new signing might be Flores, and if he isn't then add in a potential Flores to the squad and we are looking damn good

Tommyjet
04-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Can anyone refresh my memory on how many possible spots left? In the backline I wouldn't mind two more signed rather than just cornthwaite, beauchamp or mckain. Someone else maybe younger with a left foot capable of playing both left stopper or left back. Not too many of them around though

furns
04-06-2014, 06:49 PM
A source today pretty much confirmed the Cornflakes rumour and interestingly also said we were looking at former Palace midfielder Darren Ambrose who is currently a free agent after his Birmingham contract expired at the end of the season just gone. I would say this is an alternate to Flores, due to not knowing if he will bounce back from his injury.

Tommyjet
04-06-2014, 07:11 PM
A source today pretty much confirmed the Cornflakes rumour and interestingly also said we were looking at former Palace midfielder Darren Ambrose who is currently a free agent after his Birmingham contract expired at the end of the season just gone. I would say this is an alternate to Flores, due to not knowing if he will bounce back from his injury.
Ambrose would provide more of goal threat than Flores. From memory ambrose scored a few pearlers from deep. Would be nice to have someone who's quite accurate from long range.

borat
04-06-2014, 07:16 PM

Both signings sound good. Wonder who this Sth American Striker is and why we need him if Ambrose/Flores is being courted

furns
04-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Because Ambrose and Flores are #10s, and we need a backup striker as well for when we lose Taggz

lquiquer
04-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Wonder who this Sth American Striker is

Diego Milito?

borat
04-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Because Ambrose and Flores are #10s, and we need a backup striker as well for when we lose Taggz
It makes no sense to spend a large portion of your salary cap on a sth American striker when we already have 2 stand out strikers and are courting No 10s.

Until we lose Taggz another striker is a waste of salary cap that could be spent on a Left Back or Right Winger

joel31
04-06-2014, 09:44 PM
It makes no sense to spend a large portion of your salary cap on a sth American striker when we already have 2 stand out strikers and are courting No 10s.

Until we lose Taggz another striker is a waste of salary cap that could be spent on a Left Back or Right Winger
we just got rid of one of our highest earners to free more space up

weston
04-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Need a creative player. Find that player and throw money at him.

q-money
04-06-2014, 09:59 PM
still need the water carriers around this creative genius (will believe it when i see it)

zads, for all his faults with the ball, is a relentless and hard-working tackler. kanta still has a question mark over him in terms of long term fitness and brillante may be off sooner than we think.

hope big stubz has thought this one through.

Beeen
04-06-2014, 09:59 PM
Diego Milito?

He would be after $$$$$$$$ and we only have $$. :yap:

leftrightout
05-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Don't know where the Ambrose rumour came from but i doubt it will happen
http://emag.co.uk/panathinaikos-keen-on-ambrose/140921

idontwannaplaywithhowey
05-06-2014, 10:46 AM

Taggz will be gone, especially now since he will get some game time at the World Cup.

leftrightout
05-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Taggz will be gone, especially now since he will get some game time at the World Cup.

But he is not guarenteed game time. There are 22 other blokes, being in the squad doesnt mean he will get time. There are always guys there who dont get a run at all. He might be one of them?

Grimario
05-06-2014, 10:57 AM
But he is not guarenteed game time. There are 22 other blokes, being in the squad doesnt mean he will get time. There are always guys there who dont get a run at all. He might be one of them?

He is the only striker in the team, no matter how the media spin Leckie, Cahill, Oar or anyone else as strikers. He will get some game time in there, for sure.

lil_masi
05-06-2014, 10:58 AM

I'm sure he will be getting some gametime considering Kennedy is out. He is the only other recognized striker in the squad

borat
05-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Taggz is in form and scoring goals and I can see Ang using him as his secret weapon. The other teams know what to expect from Cahill and Leckie to some extent but Taggz they have never seen. May even pull a surprise and start one game

idontwannaplaywithhowey
05-06-2014, 02:16 PM

As the other blokes have mentioned he is he only pure striker left in the squad. He will certainly get game time.

borat
06-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Squad Restrictions

Min Squad Size 20
Max Squad Size 23 (must include 3 designated Youth Players)
Max Foreign Players 5
Max NYL Contracted Players 3

Current contracted squad 18 (2 - 5 squad places remaining)

Rumoured Transfers

CB - Adrian Madaschi ( also rumoured Nigel Boogaard, Michael Beauchump, Robbie Cornthwaite)
Striker - Colombian Former National Team Player
Attacking Midfielders (x2) - Marcos Flores/Darren Ambrose/Nathan Burns/Chris Harold

Updated Squad List

2014/15
1. Mark Birighitti
4. Kew Jaliens (fgn)
6. Zenon Caravella
15. Josh Brillante
17. James Virgili
20. Ben Kennedy
21. Sam Gallaway
22. Adam Taggart
24. Mitchell Oxborrow (Youth Player - u21)
25. Mitch Cooper (Youth Player - u21)
29. Joel Griffiths
30. John Solari (Contracted NYL player)

2015/16

2. Scott Neville
3. Taylor Regan
5. Ben Kantarovski
7. Andrew Hoole (Youth Player - u21)
11. Craig Goodwin
16. Jacob Pepper
23. David Carney
Brandon Lundy (Contracted NYL player)

Manager
Phil Stubbins (15/16)

Tommyjet
06-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Will take madaschi, cornthwaite, columbian, burns and ambrose

Jeterpool
06-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Thanks for updating the list.

WolfMan
06-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Madaschi confirmed, and Barresi from WSW (never heard of him TBH)

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-sign-Madaschi-and-Barresi/90770

furns
06-06-2014, 01:19 PM
If we end up signing Cornflakes along with a decent #10 and striker we are looking in good shape

MFKS
06-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Madaschi confirmed, and Barresi from WSW (never heard of him TBH)

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-sign-Madaschi-and-Barresi/90770

So once again we sign some shit **** not wanted by Sydney clubs

Cankles Jesic Naidovski Rooney etc

FFS :what:

la bazzle
06-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Anyone know anything about the young bloke? Or is it as the member says a classic jets signing like that gypo that gypo lover loved

leftrightout
06-06-2014, 01:22 PM
So once again we sign some shit **** not wanted by Sydney clubs

Cankles Jesic Naidovski Rooney etc

FFS :what:

Wasnt Taggart a young bloke from another club not really getting a run when we signed him?

furns
06-06-2014, 01:22 PM
yet at 19 will be in minimum wage and is a player in an area we need to strengthen. Worth a punt, and with Ono ahead of him at WSW for last two season where was he going to get game time?

furns
06-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Wasnt Taggart a young bloke from another club not really getting a run when we signed him?
this

la bazzle
06-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Surely pv4 trained this guy or used to give him wristies or whatever he did with Gibbs. Any insights?

lil_masi
06-06-2014, 01:27 PM
If we end up signing Cornflakes along with a decent #10 and striker we are looking in good shape

I doubt we'll be signing Conflakes now. We have a 2 front line defenders - Kew & Madaschi.

Blackmac79
06-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Madaschi is a great signing.

(confirmed by the club now :D)

leftrightout
06-06-2014, 01:33 PM
I doubt we'll be signing Conflakes now. We have a 2 front line defenders - Kew & Madaschi.

Plus a rumour of Boogard now. Makes sense... local kid, phils knows him from adelaide. Shame he is a dirty gypo!

furns
06-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Well the rumour I heard was a former Adelaide defender, so Cornflakes and Boogard fit the bill. Depends how much room we have in the cap and how much depth we want in vital positions. We will have strengthened immeasurably having Kew, Madaschi, Cornflakes/Boogard and Regz as our CB options.

Mark325
06-06-2014, 01:43 PM
Hopefully this random kid and Chris Harold weren't the two attacking mids he was talking about. I don't know enough about both too say they're bad signings, but I'd rather have a combination of Burns, Flores and Ambrose over those two

lil_masi
06-06-2014, 01:48 PM
If Barresi signed a senior contract that takes it up to 20 spots. + colombian striker 21 + AM + maybe an extra CB = 23 full squad.

It really annoys me that we waste spots with very average players like Virgilli/gallo/pepps.

Replacing Taggs would be a given when he leaves

Tommyjet
06-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Well the rumour I heard was a former Adelaide defender, so Cornflakes and Boogard fit the bill. Depends how much room we have in the cap and how much depth we want in vital positions. We will have strengthened immeasurably having Kew, Madaschi, Cornflakes/Boogard and Regz as our CB options.
Mckain is free agent I think

borat
06-06-2014, 01:49 PM

This article today quoting Stubbins on a singular CB and multiple AM's. Not sure how expensive Boogaard would be but I would say there in no chance we are bring Cornflakes back from Korea now we have signed Madaschi. Barresi would be one of the AM's. If we are going to play with a dedicated No 10, which sounds like we are, we needed a backup.

lil_masi
06-06-2014, 01:52 PM
This article today quoting Stubbins on a singular CB and multiple AM's. Not sure how expensive Boogaard would be but I would say there in no chance we are bring Cornflakes back from Korea now we have signed Madaschi. Barresi would be one of the AM's. If we are going to play with a dedicated No 10, which sounds like we are, we needed a backup.

I would hope Barresi is the backup!

borat
06-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Squad Restrictions

Min Squad Size 20
Max Squad Size 23 (must include 3 designated Youth Players)
Max Foreign Players 5
Max NYL Contracted Players 3

Current contracted squad 20 (3 squad places remaining)

Rumoured Transfers

CB - Nigel Boogaard, Michael Beauchump, Robbie Cornthwaite
Striker - Colombian Former National Team Player
Attacking Midfielders - Marcos Flores/Darren Ambrose/Nathan Burns/Chris Harold

Updated Squad List

2014/15
1. Mark Birighitti
4. Kew Jaliens (fgn)
6. Zenon Caravella
15. Josh Brillante
17. James Virgili
20. Ben Kennedy
21. Sam Gallaway
22. Adam Taggart
24. Mitchell Oxborrow (Youth Player - u21)
25. Mitch Cooper (Youth Player - u21)
29. Joel Griffiths
30. John Solari (Contracted NYL player)
??. Adrian Madaschi

2015/16

2. Scott Neville
3. Taylor Regan
5. Ben Kantarovski
7. Andrew Hoole (Youth Player - u21)
11. Craig Goodwin
16. Jacob Pepper
23. David Carney
??. Joshua Barresi (Youth Player - u21)
??. Brandon Lundy (Contracted NYL player)

Manager
Phil Stubbins (15/16)

furns
06-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Mckain is free agent I thinkcorrect, but he is also horrendously shite

borat
06-06-2014, 02:04 PM
NYL footage of Barresi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSfhjeCUvmI

borat
06-06-2014, 02:09 PM
In my opinion I think signing Boogaard is a waste of cap space. I would rather we spent all the remaining budget on a class AM & striker. The 3 CB's we have are quality and if 1 were to be injured we could always replace them from overseas under an injury waiver. If another CB were to be signed I would hope they are a min wage youth prospect.

lil_masi
06-06-2014, 02:09 PM
NYL footage of Barresi

Some impressive footage there

lil_masi
06-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Agree. I think 4 CB on senior contracts is a waste.

I would rather the 3 remaining spots go to AM + striker + FW

parksey
06-06-2014, 02:53 PM
fairly positive off-season so far

can't wait until that's offset by taggz's departure

Mark325
06-06-2014, 03:05 PM
fairly positive off-season so far

can't wait until that's offset by taggz's departure

It's not like we're gonna be suprised when he leaves, we all know it's coming so that makes it kind of easier to deal with. Plus, the way it's looking we're getting a more creative midfield that can set up our strikers better to go along with a hopefully talented foreigner and Griff who we know can net us some goals. So, it's not like we'll have no one to replace him

furns
06-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Someone has put it on twitter that Cristian Rodriguez is the South American coming to the Jets.
Cant be right, he is a winger? And why would he leave Atletico?

Mark325
06-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Someone has put it on twitter that Cristian Rodriguez is the South American coming to the Jets.
Cant be right, he is a winger? And why would he leave Atletico?

Wasn't the South American guy believed to be Columbian as well? Pretty sure Rodriguez has another season left at Atletico as well so surely it's not him. Although, if it turned out to be him and it also turns out the guy is a really good CAM then I would be very happy to have him

lil_masi
06-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Wasn't the South American guy believed to be Columbian as well? Pretty sure Rodriguez has another season left at Atletico as well so surely it's not him. Although, if it turned out to be him and it also turns out the guy is a really good CAM then I would be very happy to have him

Doubt its him. The player is meant to be striker, Rodriguez is a left winger. We have Carney on the left.

Jetmaster
06-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Griff will jizz if Milton cums back !

Premy
06-06-2014, 03:36 PM
So how will be LB
Goodwin
Gallaway
Carney
?? New signing??

borat
06-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Doubt its him. The player is meant to be striker, Rodriguez is a left winger. We have Carney on the left.
This.

Rodriguez was named as a player being shopped to the A-League. Doubt it's us though

borat
06-06-2014, 03:38 PM
So how will be LB
Goodwin
Gallaway
Carney
?? New signing??

Goodwin and Galloway is fine

lil_masi
06-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Goodwin and Galloway is fine

Goodwin to be number 1 LB, please Phil!!

lil_masi
06-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Will Neville be ready for the start of the season?

Mark325
06-06-2014, 03:42 PM
So how will be LB
Goodwin
Gallaway
Carney
?? New signing??

Goodwin please, the dude has so much talent and hopefully going back to LB, having a new coach and linking up with a guy like Carney can help him get back to that point when we thought we had an absolute star in our squad

Jeterpool
06-06-2014, 03:50 PM
Mckain is free agent I think

He is a free agent

joel31
06-06-2014, 04:08 PM
good we signed some youth as well as experience. if we don't play gallaway we have a very good defence

I'm liking what Phil is doing so far

OmeletteDuFromage
06-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Goodwin is horrible.

Mark325
06-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Will Neville be ready for the start of the season?

If he doesn't get re-injure himself he should be ready in time for the start of the season, which is great cause before the injury he was on fire

Tommyjet
06-06-2014, 04:20 PM
So how will be LB
Goodwin
Gallaway
Carney
?? New signing??
Back 3

joel31
06-06-2014, 04:47 PM
NYL footage of Barresi

appears to have great technique in that vid

plague
06-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Goodwin is horrible.

Thank **** someone on here is keepin it old school. Some of you blokes are way too positive this off season. Some of this happy talk is killing me.
You know we're the Jets, we're rubbish and we'll be rubbish again.
It's times like this I really miss the good Member.
Having said that even he's in a good mood at the moment.

Worlds gone upside ****ing down.

joel31
06-06-2014, 04:51 PM
now that's a great team if we get Rodriguez even without Flores or someone like that
http://www.footballuser.com/formations/2014/06/1011701_Newcastle_Jets.jpg

borat
06-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Goodwin is horrible.

He might make something of himself as a LB if he is dedicated. Never going to cut it as a LM though.

toad
06-06-2014, 05:01 PM
appears to have great technique in that vid

so did "the bullet" drovandi

q-money
06-06-2014, 05:02 PM
lol, has this barresi got a spiderman mask stuffed down his jocks too?

la bazzle
06-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Will Gallaway finally be tossed aside? mediocre at best

snake
06-06-2014, 05:07 PM
agree with la baz

Tommyjet
06-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Will Gallaway finally be tossed aside? mediocre at best

Wouldn't be surprised if a couple of others are 'found new clubs' to make way for more signings

la bazzle
06-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if a couple of others are 'found new clubs' to make way for more signings

But Gallaway would not make any other side in the league

Tommyjet
06-06-2014, 06:18 PM
But Gallaway would not make any other side in the league

Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, India

la bazzle
06-06-2014, 06:26 PM
The further the better

leftrightout
06-06-2014, 06:39 PM
I can see the similarities between Baressi and Rogic.
Hopefully he can get a chance and take it here

Tommyjet
06-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Baressi, Mitch cooper and oxborrow coming up through the ranks

Fairgo
07-06-2014, 12:13 AM
Another non local youth been given opportunity

front2
07-06-2014, 12:21 AM

Nah just a young bloke given a chance.

GazFish35
07-06-2014, 12:24 AM

Maybe our local youth aren't good enough.

Tommyjet
07-06-2014, 12:27 AM
Maybe our local youth aren't good enough.

+1

Boss
07-06-2014, 02:09 AM
Some of our local youth are capable. Pepper, Galloway and Virgilli aren't ie. the deans brigade.

Hoole is good enough. Only young bloke that has proven himself capable but there are more out there.

Fairgo
07-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Nah just a young bloke given a chance.

Was given a chance with WSW it appears signed a 2 year deal and out after a year?? Has never made a senior appearance only youth. Just saying a local should be given this opportunity to build on.

GazFish35
09-06-2014, 12:54 AM
Twitter hinting Flores has signed.

joel31
09-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Twitter hinting Flores has signed.
was it that ray gatt bloke. if it was I wouldn't take him seriously

lquiquer
09-06-2014, 10:19 AM

No Murray Shaw Foxsport

GazFish35
09-06-2014, 10:22 AM

Nope.

Murray Shaw.

"From here in Brazil, hearing @MarcosFlores85 has got himself a new A-League club and it's just north of where he was last season. Good news."

Grimario
09-06-2014, 11:03 AM
http://m.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastle-jets-news-display/Jets-sign-Marcos-Flores/90781/5

The Newcastle Jets have signed former Johnny Warren Medal winner Marcos Flores for the 2014/15 Hyundai A-League season.

Flores set the Hyundai A-League alight during his first stint in Australia with Adelaide United, where he worked alongside current Jets head coach Phil Stubbins.

The Argentine playmaker was named the competition’s best player following a stellar 2010/11 campaign with the Reds.
Flores scored nine goals and provided eight assists in 29 appearances for Adelaide, before securing a move to Chinese Super League club Henan Jianye.

The 28-year-old returned to Australia after two years in China, signing with Melbourne Victory for the 2012/13 season, before switching to the Central Coast Mariners ahead of the 2013/14 Hyundai A-League campaign.

In total, Flores has made 67 appearances in the Hyundai A-League, scoring 16 goals.

“I’m extremely happy to be joining the Newcastle Jets and it was a decision I really didn’t have to think twice about,” Flores said.

“I know Phil from my first day in Australia and I’m very excited to work with him again.

“I think there is a bright future ahead for the Jets and I can’t wait to arrive in Newcastle and give everything for the Club and the fans in the way I train and play.”

Flores’ 2013/14 season with the Mariners was cut short after rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, but the crafty South American said he is confident of returning bigger and better with the Jets this campaign.

“The Jets have shown faith in me and I’m really excited to finish my recovery so I can repay them on the pitch,” Flores said.

“I’m 28 years old, I’m so in love with the game and I can’t wait to start working really hard from the first day in Newcastle to be a better player and help the team win.”

Newcastle Jets head coach Phil Stubbins said that Flores’ creativity and skill on the ball would provide the Jets with a valuable point of difference in the attacking part of the pitch.

“Reaching this agreement with Marcos is a big coup for the Club because I think he could be a real joker in the pack for us this coming campaign,” Stubbins said.

“We’ve had reports on Marcos’ progression to date with his rehabilitation from his knee injury and we know he is extremely focused on his recovery.

“With the help of our fantastic medical staff, we’re confident of seeing the best of Marcos this coming season.

“He’s someone who can provide great service for the players in the front third and he also has the ability to find the back of the net himself.

“Marcos is a terrific guy who will fit in nicely with what the Newcastle Jets are all about and we’re very excited to welcome him to the Club.”

Mark325
09-06-2014, 11:10 AM
That's our second attacking midfield I guess, now we're just waiting on this new striker. I'm so happy with this, we're actually signing talented players

Grimario
09-06-2014, 11:11 AM
That's our second attacking midfield I guess, now we're just waiting on this new striker. I'm so happy with this, we're actually signing talented players

Who was the other one... Barresi? Kid is 19, won't exactly be a starter.

Mark325
09-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Who was the other one... Barresi? Kid is 19, won't exactly be a starter.

I assumed he was our first, might be wrong though.

MFKS
09-06-2014, 11:25 AM
:soapbox:

What the ****s going on??

The clowns are now signing Hacks who are unwanted by the ****ing gypos

The bloke is over rated and has dine nothing in the HAL except for one good spell for part of a season culminating in a game where our shit players made him look like Messi.

Other than that he keeps getting the $$$ and contributes fark all

**** OFF GYPSIES

MFKS
09-06-2014, 11:28 AM
:lulzturtle: Isn't this Gypo recovering from a serious knee injury???

I take it we learned little last time??

Middlebyed

joel31
09-06-2014, 11:29 AM
at least we're signing players of a decent pedigree who at least have the ability to star in the A-Leage

Jetmaster
09-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Next signing could be another ex Gypo (Beauchamp or Boogaard?)

The Member will top himself.

belchardo
09-06-2014, 11:49 AM
not sure about this one. how many games did he play last season? how old is he? better not end up in another culina situation.

hope i'm wrong obviously.

EDIT: only 28, thought he was way older than that.

halo se7en
09-06-2014, 12:10 PM
He's 28 and had one bad injury. MFKS you're a deadset ****ing idiot if you're calling Flores a hack. Go and top yourself now and leave us all in some peace. Your negativity has seriously gone beyond trolling…

lil_masi
09-06-2014, 12:16 PM
He's 28 and had one bad injury. MFKS you're a deadset ****ing idiot if you're calling Flores a hack. Go and top yourself now and leave us all in some peace. Your negativity has seriously gone beyond trolling…

+1
I think its a top signing!! Signed under the cap as well. What we've been missing for 7 seasons FFS!!

borat
09-06-2014, 12:20 PM
The injury is of course a worry but am assuming (fingers crossed) our medical staff assessed him when last in Australia. His rehab vids on Instagram look pretty good.

If fit clearly Flores is a great signing for us. Carle has been the only real No 10 we have ever played and Flores is a sign Stubbins is changing our formation and tactics. Barresi and Cooper as backup.

Mark325
09-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Also need to remember that the best Flores we ever saw came at Adelaide when Stubbins was there, which feels me with even more confidence that we will be receiving a top player

OmeletteDuFromage
09-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Is this the South American?

Blackmac79
09-06-2014, 01:07 PM
I thought I read that we had put an offer in for Christian Rodriguez. Or was I dreaming?

furns
09-06-2014, 01:08 PM
You were dreaming. That was a twitter post based on a list of players being shopped around the HAL once the WC finished.
We were never linked with him.

Tommyjet
09-06-2014, 01:09 PM
Is this the South American?

Nah stubbins has said the South American forward has played for his country a handful times and has pace and power. Flores hasn't played international football

furns
09-06-2014, 01:13 PM
:soapbox:

What the ****s going on??

The clowns are now signing Hacks who are unwanted by the ****ing gypos

The bloke is over rated and has dine nothing in the HAL except for one good spell for part of a season culminating in a game where our shit players made him look like Messi.

Other than that he keeps getting the $$$ and contributes fark all

**** OFF GYPSIESStick to your Diary thread mate lol

he wasnt unwanted by the gypos, those povo bastards couldnt afford to re-sign him. So we have swooped in and snared him. So long as we have solid advice this time on his injury status, and we have a plan in place if its not, am quite happy to welcome him to Newy.
Would have been interesting if we had picked up Ambrose instead, but with Flores we know we are getting a quality #10.

lil_masi
09-06-2014, 01:18 PM
We know hes quality, signed under the cap, 1 yr deal, 28years old. Great signing.
Finally we have a few quality players in our lineup since season 2/3.

Mark325
09-06-2014, 01:19 PM
So right now we're at 21 players, the new striker puts us at 22. Then we most likely lose Taggart and Birraz, it looks more likely that we're keeping Brillante out of those three. So, we then have another potential three players we could sign up assuming that's how the off-season plays out

joel31
09-06-2014, 01:36 PM
if we keep taggart. We're gonna have to bench Carney or Griff
Or move Carney to left back to fit all of them in the team

Tommyjet
09-06-2014, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE=joel31;81353]if we keep taggart. We're gonna have to bench Carney or Griff
Or move Carney to left back to fit all of them in the

Good competition for places is what we need, plus the usual injuries that happen

plague
09-06-2014, 01:58 PM
So long as we have solid advice this time on his injury status, and we have a plan in place if its not.

Errr Mr Furns, you realise this is the Jets right?

(Just sayin')