PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle United Jets 2013/2014 Squad thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12

plague
13-08-2014, 01:22 PM
apart from the whole didn't play a game at WSW thing...........Seriously Takka is a club legend IMO and I loved his passion for the game and club, but he was getting paid overs and GVE was bang on to get let him go

Pretty sure Grim was referring to Adelaide. He looked good in that team. Maybe it was more to do with coaches and systems rather than the player being shit or not-shit.

sammydog
13-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Well that was on of GVE's biggest flaws. Playing players out of position in a system they didn't suit. Made a few good players look bad.

Lofty
13-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Finally got Edson Montano's confirmed arrival!

lil_masi
13-08-2014, 02:08 PM

Where'd you hear that? When is he expected?

Lofty
13-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Where'd you hear that? When is he expected?

He flies in on Sunday morning. From a very reliable sauce.

lil_masi
13-08-2014, 02:25 PM
He flies in on Sunday morning. From a very reliable sauce.

Thanks for the info. Bout bloody time. 2 months should be a good lead in. Better than 2 weeks anyway.

Thomas477
13-08-2014, 05:54 PM

Yeah, I heard 6-8 weeks.....

leftrightout
13-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I heard 6-8 weeks.....

That's got to be the first 6-8 weeks joke I've heard in about to 6-8 weeks.
Yep I just made a lame 6-8 weeks joke....I hate myself now!

hawk
13-08-2014, 11:25 PM

that completes the picture. So now there's no stopping us. and heres a warm welcome for Edson Mo Montano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA3oRP-qmcM

borat
14-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Pretty sure Grim was referring to Adelaide. He looked good in that team. Maybe it was more to do with coaches and systems rather than the player being shit or not-shit.

I knew exactly what Grim was referring, it was the part of Elrich's career in between the Jets and AUFC that is just as relevant. I think you have missed the point anyway, Elrich was a regular starter at the Jets and was never seen as a"shit" player. Just one that was paid a large portion of the salary cap which I doubt very much he is at AUFC.

Grimario
15-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Barresi gone, torn ACL.

Newcastle Jets @NewcastleJetsFC · 17m
As feared, the Jets can confirm @joshbarresi tore his right ACL in our match vs @juventusfcen and will require a knee reconstruction #NTUA

leftrightout
15-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Barresi gone, torn ACL.

Poor kid, by the sounds of it he was impressing stubbins so far.
Will they now be able to sign someone in his place?

Bon
15-08-2014, 11:35 AM

Yeah the poor bloke..
Sounds awful.. Everything had been looking very positive for him..

Good question about replacements..

MFKS
15-08-2014, 11:49 AM

Of Course they will under the injury replacement farce rule the HAL has.

Biggest issue will be salary cap amount we are currently on.

Obviously the kid wouldn't have been on a great deal of coin and unless we are sitting well under the salary cap cause someone in the club had done that on purpose to save Tinks a few bob and rip off the Newy fans we will be stuck signing a similar cheap signing and not be in the market for a Paartalu or other known player

Grimario
15-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Isn't there something in the injury replacement rule that means you have to sign a like for like player? So you can't replace your 18yo right back with an international marquee striker or something?

Not that rules mean anything in the HAL... I am sure clubs have gotten around it in the past.

Oh, like we did, signing Ward as IR for Neville.

Beeen
15-08-2014, 12:10 PM
What's the bet we sign Ward again..

plague
15-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Elrich was a regular starter at the Jets and was never seen as a"shit" player.

Geez Louise, not according to some of the people on 'ere.

Grimario
15-08-2014, 12:29 PM
I wonder how many of our historically "shit" players have been good players just not suited to the shit system that GVE was trying to implement?

Elrich probably falls into that but more because the system GVE was trying to build was awful, not because Elrich was completely incapable of playing that general brand of football as shown last year.

plague
15-08-2014, 12:39 PM
I wonder how many of our historically "shit" players have been good players just not suited to the shit system that GVE was trying to implement?

Elrich probably falls into that but more because the system GVE was trying to build was awful, not because Elrich was completely incapable of playing that general brand of football as shown last year.

This post makes far too much sense. Can you please delete it before the good Members head explodes.
Well said.

MFKS
15-08-2014, 01:00 PM
This post makes far too much sense. Can you please delete it before the good Members head explodes.
Well said.
The only reason my head would explode is that Grimario is reiterating that GVE has NFI which the universe agrees on and hasn't brought up how ****ed it is we re employed him with the Emerging Jets to **** them up

borat
15-08-2014, 03:25 PM

Was Takka ever dropped? Maybe my mind is deceiving me but I remember Takka being a regular starter and GVE sending him text messages saying what a good player he was. I always thought he was punted because of the coin he was on and a perceived inability to play GVE's new system he wanted to adopt. There is nothing wrong with a new coach wanting players that suit their style of play and doesn't mean the player is suddenly crap, otherwise we wouldn't have Jeronimo

borat
15-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Geez Louise, not according to some of the people on 'ere.

Not the greatest argument ;-)

pv4
15-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Barresi gone, torn ACL.

Newcastle Jets @NewcastleJetsFC · 17m
As feared, the Jets can confirm @joshbarresi tore his right ACL in our match vs @juventusfcen and will require a knee reconstruction #NTUA

Putting "#NTUA" on a post about tearing an ACL seems a bit much don't you think, club?

furns
15-08-2014, 03:44 PM
It's standard on their tweets nowadays. At least it shows a small connection with supporters and appreciation for the club anthem.
No one can really win with you eh Member?

plague
15-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Was Takka ever dropped? Maybe my mind is deceiving me but I remember Takka being a regular starter and GVE sending him text messages saying what a good player he was. I always thought he was punted because of the coin he was on and a perceived inability to play GVE's new system he wanted to adopt. There is nothing wrong with a new coach wanting players that suit their style of play and doesn't mean the player is suddenly crap, otherwise we wouldn't have Jeronimo

Sorry, I'm fairly in the 'Tarek not shit' camp. My whole argument on the bloke is based on Foz Members ripping the bloke to shreds blaming him for the majority of our woes (a torch which has now been passed to BK).
You are 100% right in your post. But back in the day certain people didn't see it that way.
I gave up a long long time ago trying to understand what the **** GVE was trying to achieve.

plague
15-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Putting "#NTUA" on a post about tearing an ACL seems a bit much don't you think, club?

Don't you DARE criticise hashtags. You know they are responsible for fixing all of the worlds problems.
#kony
#marriageequality
#bringbackourgirls

borat
15-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Well there is now a squad position available, Oxborrow has left the Jets effective immediately.

Baccus to be signed now for sure

Grimario
15-08-2014, 04:41 PM
NEWS | The Newcastle Jets have parted ways with midfielder Mitch Oxborrow, who will return to Perth in order to attend to personal matters and be with his family.

http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/article/jets-part-ways-with-mitch-oxborrow/bafr7jaupehnzhz6frw7c8gr

Premy
15-08-2014, 04:53 PM
#Namaste

lil_masi
15-08-2014, 05:22 PM
With Barresi gone for the season would you guys be happy to sign Ward? He is an attacking midfielder that could cover RM as well.

MFKS
15-08-2014, 05:24 PM
With Barresi gone for the season would you guys be happy to sign Ward? He is an attacking midfielder that could cover RM as well.

No

We can look for better

lquiquer
15-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Go for Paartalu again

GazFish35
15-08-2014, 05:43 PM
Baccus

Jeterpool
15-08-2014, 05:51 PM
NEWS | The Newcastle Jets have parted ways with midfielder Mitch Oxborrow, who will return to Perth in order to attend to personal matters and be with his family.

http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/article/jets-part-ways-with-mitch-oxborrow/bafr7jaupehnzhz6frw7c8gr

I hope everything is ok for the kid.

MFKS
15-08-2014, 05:51 PM
BRINGBACKJOBE#:chant:

Tommyjet
15-08-2014, 06:14 PM
I hope everything is ok for the kid.

Yeah for sure, sounds like a sick family member

plague
15-08-2014, 06:18 PM
BRINGBACKJOBE#:chant:

Look at the Member dropping knowledge on a Friday arvo.
Good on ya mate.

MFKS
15-08-2014, 06:30 PM

No it doesn't it sounds more like he has been sacked

If it was for something like that it would be some break or personal issue to deal with and he would be still employed by the Jets.

Remember Taggz was let go back to Perth for some personal stuff but the club didn't part ways with him.

You would have to be rather callous ****s to stop employing someone due to having a sick family member

Jeterpool
15-08-2014, 06:31 PM

I'm thinking homesick myself.

GazFish35
15-08-2014, 06:33 PM

That's what I made of it.
Wish the bloke and his family well.

MFKS
15-08-2014, 06:34 PM
I'm thinking homesick myself.

I am doubting homesick.

Had been in Newy for 2 years and was based at the AIS before that so it ain't like he just left mum and dad and wants to go home

leftrightout
15-08-2014, 06:43 PM
I hate losing players to other clubs but lets hope Perth can fit him in somewhere. He seems like he has plenty of potential and being involved with an A-league club is what he needs.

lil_masi
15-08-2014, 07:06 PM
With Ox leaving we 100% have 1 spot left. Paves the way nicely for paartalu to sign as aussie marquee in january.
Ox salary prob min wage $45k plus barresi guessing maybe $70k can now be combined to get a replacement for Barresi.

howardyou
15-08-2014, 07:08 PM
No it doesn't it sounds more like he has been sacked

If it was for something like that it would be some break or personal issue to deal with and he would be still employed by the Jets.

Remember Taggz was let go back to Perth for some personal stuff but the club didn't part ways with him.

You would have to be rather callous ****s to stop employing someone due to having a sick family member

You are off your head Member...

"The Newcastle Jets will provide ongoing support to Mitch through this time."

joel31
15-08-2014, 07:25 PM
shame he got injured. I was looking forward to seeing him play

plague
15-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Maybe it's none of our business and we should just leave it alone.

parksey
15-08-2014, 07:54 PM
i'll do some digging

WolfMan
15-08-2014, 08:04 PM

Agree. Let the bloke have some semblance of a private life FFS

MFKS
15-08-2014, 09:48 PM
You are off your head Member...

"The Newcastle Jets will provide ongoing support to Mitch through this time."

Just cause they are offering support doesn't mean much.
Could be something like a alcohol issue or something like that where the club has to part company but has some duty of care to not abandon the kid

The bloke played the other night V Juve so he was in the periphery of Stubbins plans at the minimum.

If this was some type of issue like depression or something like that you don't part company.
If this was some type of issue like family member unwell you don't part company.

You let the kid go deal with the issue for as long as it takes and welcome them back with open arms when it is resolved.

Something rather odd that doesn't add up about this.

Also as the bloke was on a Yoof contract we have to either promote a Yoof player to the HAL squad or sign a new Yoof player from outside the current Yoof squad anyway

Premy
15-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Could be something like a alcohol issue or something like that where the club has to part company but has some duty of care to not abandon the kid

The bloke played the other night V Juve so he was in the periphery of Stubbins plans at the minimum.

If this was some type of issue like depression or something like that you don't part company.
If this was some type of issue like family member unwell you don't part company.

You let the kid go deal with the issue for as long as it takes and welcome them back with open arms when it is resolved.

Also as the bloke was on a Yoof contract we have to either promote a Yoof player to the HAL squad or sign a new Yoof player from outside the current Yoof squad anyway
Would Lundy, Cooper and Solari not be the 3 youth contracted players?

plague
15-08-2014, 10:20 PM

You are the Phil Taylor of throwing shit up against the wall.
Another 9 darter there Member.
Great stuff.

Fairgo
15-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Would Lundy, Cooper and Solari not be the 3 youth contracted players?

It would be good to know who is on a NYL contract and who are the 3 u21 senior contracted players as for my understanding they have to have 3 u 21 players in the squad of 23 and allowed 3 NYL full time players on top of the 23 which do not effect the salary cap.

GazFish35
15-08-2014, 11:03 PM

Or it could actually be a personal issue or something with his family and strongly feels the need to be back in Perth for the foreseeable future to support his family and wants some privacy, and rather than tying up a squad spot they player and club part ways, contractually. Maybe there's been an unexpected death, or someone's been diagnosed with terminal cancer, who the **** knows? Not me, not you, but let's not go down the path of jumping to conclusions and defaming the bloke by bringing up alcohol or suggesting the situation is not all that the press release has said.

furns
15-08-2014, 11:22 PM
I am calling an end to this ridiculous speculation. If he wanted it public why he had been released, it would have been made public.
So cease and desist the defamatory crap.

front2
16-08-2014, 12:05 AM
So back to business. Best wishes and a bright future for Mitch. Thanks to gve and company we have a number of young developing players in the system. Question is will the Jets spend the money, or rely on youth team players to fill the void ?

Jeterpool
16-08-2014, 08:06 AM
How is Mitch Cooper doing these days? Is he back in full training?

idontwannaplaywithhowey
16-08-2014, 08:32 AM

100% correct.

Jetmaster
16-08-2014, 09:25 AM
We should get in a short term injury waiver (or guest) to fill the gap until Christmas, then get Paartalu on board as same the rest of the season.

Then offer Paartalu a new full contract for next season.

Tommyjet
16-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Or it could actually be a personal issue or something with his family and strongly feels the need to be back in Perth for the foreseeable future to support his family and wants some privacy, and rather than tying up a squad spot they player and club part ways, contractually. Maybe there's been an unexpected death, or someone's been diagnosed with terminal cancer, who the **** knows? Not me, not you, but let's not go down the path of jumping to conclusions and defaming the bloke by bringing up alcohol or suggesting the situation is not all that the press release has said.

Best post in days on this forum

Tommyjet
16-08-2014, 10:18 AM
We should get in a short term injury waiver (or guest) to fill the gap until Christmas, then get Paartalu on board as same the rest of the season.

Then offer Paartalu a new full contract for next season.
So by my count we had 1 spot left before baressi's injury and oxborrow's unfortunate departure. Surely that would mean atleast 2, if not 3 spots left depending on who was on youth contracts. Save one for paartalu in January but surely we can replace baressi or ox with baccus who is rumoured to have impressed on trial

GazFish35
16-08-2014, 10:41 AM
baccus who is rumoured to have impressed on trial

I've heard this May well be the solution. If so, I've heard good things about the bloke, on and off the pitch.

lil_masi
16-08-2014, 11:34 AM
I've heard this May well be the solution. If so, I've heard good things about the bloke, on and off the pitch.

As said previously, we need 3 u21 players on senior contracts. We now only have cooper and hoole. Barresi and ox made up the 3. Not sure how it would work with replacing barresi. Do we need another u21? Or will barresi still count, im thinking he wont. Ox's spot prob go to paartalu.

borat
17-08-2014, 12:25 PM
The options with Barresi depends on his contract value as the deadline for nominating your squad hasn't been reached yet.

If he is on min wage, then there would be more flexibility for the 1st team in giving him a NYL contracted squad position. That would leave 2 first team squad positions left, with 1 to be filled by an U21. We wouldn't be limited to like for like replacement as is the case with injury replacement.

If Barresi isn't on min wage then he is contracted to the first team and if we decided to replace him that player would need to be U21 and like for like. There would still be an additional 1st team squad position to use.

I would like to see both Baccus and Ward signed. Although losing the Ox leaves limited scope to play 4231 if needed.

pv4
27-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Close enough to squad news. Our awesomely-named physio is apparently leaving us!

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2502541/injured-jet-hops-codes-in-search-of-inspiration/?cs=3398

[Rob] Dingle, who is in his final week at the Jets

Thomas477
27-08-2014, 06:13 PM
After 5 or so knee injuries last season alone, good.

Hunter403
28-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Probably not the right place but....

Not one Jets player in the Australian u19 side named today. So much for GVE youth policy over the last few years.... Doesn't auger well for the Junior Jets of today.

OmeletteDuFromage
28-08-2014, 04:47 PM

Not one Jets player in the Australian u19 side named today. So much for GVE youth policy over the last few years.... Doesn't auger well for the Junior Jets of today.

During the years GVE was in charge, we did.

MFKS
28-08-2014, 06:17 PM

What Yoof policy??

Refuses to give local yoof a go and every other promising Yoof Beard Goody Taggz Chapman Birraz etc were poached from other clubs.

Plus Okon wouldn't know his head from his arse coaching a side. Can someone enlighten me as to what he has achieved as a coach to get the plum post?

snake
28-08-2014, 08:10 PM

what if you probe below the surface?

WolfMan
28-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Well played

matty
29-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Article in the herald today says we are odds on to sign Allan Welsh after he impressed in the loss to the smurfs

Fairgo
29-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Article in the herald today says we are odds on to sign Allan Welsh after he impressed in the loss to the smurfs

"and he’s only going to improve with full-time training.

‘‘In time I could see him becoming a very accomplished A-League footballer."

Why why why are these opportunities not given to local talents? It appears you have to come from out of the area to be looked at or given opportunity, Barresi, Gallagher, Welsh. I can understand if outstanding but they have all been through other A league youth systems and not picked up but we overlook our own to give these others a chance or opportunity. What message are they sending? I am sure if full time training was offered to some locals they would also step up to prove themselves.

borat
29-08-2014, 07:30 PM
Was in the lead up u20 squad for the youth WC last year but didn't make the final cut like Hoole and Beard. Sounds like a good player to me.

plague
29-08-2014, 07:40 PM

Another Allan at the Jets can only be a good thing.
Big shoes to fill though.

Couscous
29-08-2014, 09:07 PM

How about you link to the article, so the Herald can get at least a few cents in advertising revenue, so it can then pay young Robert Dillon his measly wage, so Dillon can avoid the need to get another job, which might place him in a position where he can cause real damage to society?

boz-monaut
29-08-2014, 09:28 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jets+to+to+sign+Allan+Welsh

Grimario
29-08-2014, 09:59 PM
How about you link to the article, so the Herald can get at least a few cents in advertising revenue, so it can then pay young Robert Dillon his measly wage, so Dillon can avoid the need to get another job, which might place him in a position where he can cause real damage to society?

Didn't we go over this last time, RD?

Jetmaster
30-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Didn't we go over this last time, RD?

Yes you did, this guys works for the Herald in one way or another.

matty
30-08-2014, 10:46 AM

Ill tell you why, article itself was full of boring shit saying we will be ready, we are working on combinations, the usual pre-season jibber jabber. Pulled the only useful piece out of that and posted it here. If your too interested in reading the full article of boring non-sense, use your two arms and a heartbeat like everybody else and go to the heralds website.

furns
30-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Listening to soccer stoppage time podcast, apparently we tried to sign Gligor from SFC with Virgili getting offered in exchange.

Offer refused.

MFKS
30-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Listening to soccer stoppage time podcast, apparently we tried to sign Gligor from SFC with Virgili getting offered in exchange.

Offer refused.

Wonder why??

:blush:

Can't even give our players away

lquiquer
30-08-2014, 12:17 PM

Offer refused.

Should have added Gallaway to the basket....,:whistling:

pv4
30-08-2014, 12:21 PM

Offer refused.

I genuinely never believed our club would ever look to move Virgili on.

De-Champ
30-08-2014, 03:41 PM
"and he’s only going to improve with full-time training.

‘‘In time I could see him becoming a very accomplished A-League footballer."

Why why why are these opportunities not given to local talents? It appears you have to come from out of the area to be looked at or given opportunity, Barresi, Gallagher, Welsh. I can understand if outstanding but they have all been through other A league youth systems and not picked up but we overlook our own to give these others a chance or opportunity. What message are they sending? I am sure if full time training was offered to some locals they would also step up to prove themselves.

The same could be said in reverse. Why aren't these "outsiders" given a chance by the team in the area they came form?

Jetmaster
30-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Should have added Gallaway to the basket....,:whistling:

Reckon Gallaway would have a $50k fee - that WE would pay to the team taking him on.

Grimario
30-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Reckon Gallaway would have a $50k fee - that WE would pay to the team taking him on.

Missing a few 0's.

Jeterpool
30-08-2014, 06:03 PM
I genuinely never believed our club would ever look to move Virgili on.

I think we will see this is the last contract Virgili and Gallaway get with the club. When are they up as a matter of interest?

Jeterpool
30-08-2014, 06:07 PM
Squad Restrictions
Min Squad Size 20
Max Squad Size 23 (must include 3 designated Youth Players)
Max Foreign Players 5
Max NYL Contracted Players 3

Current contracted squad 20 (max 3 squad places remaining including 1 (fgn) player))[edit]

Rumoured Transfers

Striker
Holding Midfielder - Foreign Player
Nick Ward (trialling)
Sam Gallagher (trialling)

Updated Squad List

2014/15

1. Mark Birighitti
4. Kew Jaliens (fgn)
17. James Virgili
20. Ben Kennedy
21. Sam Gallaway
24. Mitchell Oxborrow (Youth Player - u21)
25. Mitch Cooper (Youth Player - u21)
29. Joel Griffiths
30. John Solari (Contracted NYL player)
??. Adrian Madaschi
??. Marcos Flores (fgn)
??. Edson Montano (fgn)

2015/16

2. Scott Neville
3. Taylor Regan
5. Ben Kantarovski
7. Andrew Hoole (Youth Player - u21)
11. Craig Goodwin
16. Jacob Pepper
23. David Carney
??. Joshua Barresi (Youth Player - u21)
??. Brandon Lundy (Contracted NYL player)
??. Jonny Steele (fgn)

Manager

Phil Stubbins (15/16)

Last update from borat...so yes I don't expect Gallaway and Virgili to be offered a new contract based on this point in time.

Couscous
30-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Yes you did, this guys works for the Herald in one way or another.

Lulzicles. I've gone over this in the past. I live in Canberra. I'm a Victory fan but I don't much like that club. My favourite club is the Jets, but I don't believe in switching teams.

Mark325
31-08-2014, 12:36 AM
Squad Restrictions
Min Squad Size 20
Max Foreign Players 5

Current contracted squad 20 (max 3 squad places remaining including 1 (fgn) player))[edit]

Rumoured Transfers

Striker
Holding Midfielder - Foreign Player
Nick Ward (trialling)
Sam Gallagher (trialling)

Updated Squad List

2014/15

1. Mark Birighitti
4. Kew Jaliens (fgn)
17. James Virgili
20. Ben Kennedy
21. Sam Gallaway
24. Mitchell Oxborrow (Youth Player - u21)
25. Mitch Cooper (Youth Player - u21)
29. Joel Griffiths
??. Adrian Madaschi
??. Marcos Flores (fgn)
??. Edson Montano (fgn)

2015/16

2. Scott Neville
3. Taylor Regan
5. Ben Kantarovski
7. Andrew Hoole (Youth Player - u21)
11. Craig Goodwin
16. Jacob Pepper
23. David Carney
??. Joshua Barresi (Youth Player - u21)
??. Brandon Lundy (Contracted NYL player)
??. Jonny Steele (fgn)

Manager

Phil Stubbins (15/16)

Out of the lot of them, I would say that Virgili, Gallaway, Gallagher and Goodwin would be the ones to get rid of. Everyone else is at the least a solid squad player that due to how little they would be on are just fine

31-08-2014, 12:51 AM
Lulzicles. I've gone over this in the past. I live in Canberra. I'm a Victory fan but I don't much like that club. My favourite club is the Jets, but I don't believe in switching teams.

U mean u did reside in the ACT Gary V.

westjet
07-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Adelaide United to welcome home Craig Goodwin after Newcastle Jets agree to release Socceroo

ADELAIDE United has clinched the signature of exciting left sided player Craig Goodwin.

The club is expected to announce Goodwin’s return to his home town this week after Newcastle Jets agreed to release the Socceroo on Friday.

Goodwin, 22, is destined to become the 17th SA born player in the current Reds squad.

He is tipped to join his new Reds teammates at training on Wednesday for the first time but it’s uncertain if Goodwin will take part in Adelaide’s locked-doors friendly against Melbourne Victory at Coopers Stadium on Friday.

But Goodwin’s signature has added more credence to Reds coach Josep Gombau’s long-term plans.

“Our vision is that in three years’ time, before we finish our (coaching) contract, is to play with 18 South Australians and four foreign players and to be successful,’’ Gombau said last week.

“This is our vision and now we are not far away; we have 14 or 15 players from South Australia they have good talent and we just need to work.”

Goodwin’s return to SA wouldn’t be out of place in Britain’s popular but now defunct soccer comic strip Roy of the Rovers.

The former Munno Para City junior was rejected by Adelaide United’s youth team more than four years ago but that only fuelled his desire to prove his critics wrong.

He was offered a contract with Scotland’s Inverness but it never eventuated due to the club being relegated from the Scottish Premier League in 2009 and privately coached by former Reds and Socceroos striker Paul Agostino and ex-German Bundesliga player Andre Meyer at an Adelaide-based football academy.

But after playing with SA NPL club Raiders, Goodwin backed himself and decided to take a punt playing for Victorian club Oakleigh Cannons in the hope of attracting A-League interest.

He was scouted and signed by John Aloisi when he was boss of Melbourne Heart — now Melbourne City — before Newcastle Jets snared Goodwin in 2012.

Goodwin then caught the eye of former Socceroos boss Holger Osieck, who capped him during last year’s East Asian Football Championship Cup, not long after former English Premier League club Reading showed some interest.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/adelaide-united-to-welcome-home-craig-goodwin-after-newcastle-jets-agree-to-release-socceroo/story-e6frf4il-1227050782179?sv=d406047aabfa491942ea193969adf3e2# itm_s=foxs&itm_t=home&itm_c=content-3&itm_o=3&itm_l=Fox%20Feed%20-%20Good win for Adelaide United

GazFish35
07-09-2014, 11:33 PM
Wow. Didn't see that coming.

Another broken by GVE? Or another never really worth the hype he came with?

I loved his chip over the keeper v sydney in his first start.

Good luck to the bloke.

Thomas477
07-09-2014, 11:46 PM
So that opens up a spot, preferably for either a LB or to sign Portaloo.

plague
08-09-2014, 12:08 AM

Good luck to the bloke.

Prob sick of blokes on ere calling him soft.
Another master stroke by GVE.
Went for free I gather? (No transfers between A-League clubs still yeah?).
Top work all round by our club.
Good luck to him, hope he kills it.

Pretty sure we're still rubbish tho

Jeterpool
08-09-2014, 08:12 AM

Good luck to the bloke.

I think it's a bit of both.

I had really high hopes for him and I'm not sure we really saw the best of him. However I think the weakness to his game was his strength.

I'm disappointed he has left, and also wish him all the best. I just hope he doesn't come back with Adelaide and tear us a new one.

leftrightout
08-09-2014, 08:29 AM
I just hope he doesn't come back with Adelaide and tear us a new one.

Out of a bunch of players we have let go to other clubs throughout the years, Goodwin at Adelaide has a lot of potential to hurt us.
When you think back and realise the amount of shit players that have gone to shit clubs and hurt us, its a sure thing!

Seriously though, Gombau seems to be good at getting the best out of players and getting them to play with confidence, it was very obvious that was what he was lacking here at the end of his spell.

Pico
08-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Can’t say I’m disappointed to see him go, he just never really performed consistently in my eyes, having started so brightly he never stood a chance with GVE master strokes and he forever looked a shadow of the player he first looked to be. I never understood why the club re-signed him in the first place and it makes even less sense now, I guess Palmers recent departure could have something to do with it.

The only way this makes sense is if the spot is ear marked for portaloo, which still won’t solve our problems at left back. I just hope we didn’t release Goodwin to sign an unproven player like Welsh on a senior contract & squad spot.

BodyNovo
08-09-2014, 08:46 AM
meh

Jeterpool
08-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Craig Goodwin

Goodwin made 45 Jets appearances during his time with the club, consisting of 44 A-League games (32 starts, 12 substitute appearances) and 1 FFA cup appearance.
Goodwin scored 5 goals and provided 5 assists.
Goodwin scored 2 goals against Sydney and a double against Wellington.
Goodwin was booked 5 times.

Not much else to write about guys.

Pico
08-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Could the club be looking to do a "release trade" with Adelaide, we have a problem at left back and no visa spots available to fix it, perhaps we agreed to release Goodwin for Adelaide to sign, they do the same with Cassio for us to sign.

Jeterpool
08-09-2014, 09:05 AM
Could the club be looking to do a "release trade" with Adelaide, we have a problem at left back and no visa spots available to fix it, perhaps we agreed to release Goodwin for Adelaide to sign, they do the same with Cassio for us to sign.

I think we're out of visa spots Pico. We have Montano, Steele, Flores, Jeronimo and Jaliens.

Maybe we'll be getting someone else, however. Maybe it was part of the Jeronimo deal? If so, why'd it take so long?

joel31
08-09-2014, 09:09 AM
I'm surprised to see him go he's played in most games under Stubbins but been inconsistent.

He varied between brilliant and mediocre is his time at Newy so I'm not too upset to see him go as long as we sign a left back

Only problem is we might have a bit of a lack of pace now but I haven't seen Steele play yet

Pico
08-09-2014, 09:38 AM
I think we're out of visa spots Pico. We have Montano, Steele, Flores, Jeronimo and Jaliens.

Maybe we'll be getting someone else, however. Maybe it was part of the Jeronimo deal? If so, why'd it take so long?

Correct that's why I said no visa spots available which is why I thought of cassio, a left back who can push forward, has worked with stubbins in the past & he got his Aus citizenship last year I believe, so he wouldn't be classed as a visa spot and would help solve the left back position. My only concern would be that he is coming back from a knee injury at the moment.

Probably means nothing anyway, we signed galla v2 & galla v1 is on our books so our LB problems are solved.

GazFish35
08-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Baccaus

Jeterpool
08-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Correct that's why I said no visa spots available which is why I thought of cassio, a left back who can push forward, has worked with stubbins in the past & he got his Aus citizenship last year I believe, so he wouldn't be classed as a visa spot and would help solve the left back position. My only concern would be that he is coming back from a knee injury at the moment.

Ah I didn't know that. Cheers. Makes sense now I've read what you've said correctly

GazFish35
08-09-2014, 09:57 AM
My only concern would be that he is coming back from a knee injury at the moment.

sounds like a jets signing to me.

lquiquer
08-09-2014, 10:00 AM
we signed galla v2 & galla v1 is on our books so our LB problems are solved.

!!!!! really???....God help us

Grimario
08-09-2014, 10:13 AM
I see how it works. Club thought if they signed a Galla to go with our existing Galla, they could combine them to form Gallas.

lquiquer
08-09-2014, 10:17 AM
I see how it works. Club thought if they signed a Galla to go with our existing Galla, they could combine them to form Gallas.

:roflz:

q-money
08-09-2014, 10:27 AM
goodwinfan currently fuming, steam coming out of his ears etc

Bon
08-09-2014, 10:46 AM

Duck and cover Grim, you are on fire.. :rof:

Grimario
08-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Duck and cover Grim, you are on fire.. :rof:

Duck and roll. You're mixing metaphors, Bon!

Bon
08-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Duck and roll. You're mixing metaphors, Bon!

Funnily enough, I just went searching for the South Park style meme for it, but I've got nothing.. haha..
Its Monday morning, only 1 coffee down.. Give me a break..

Grimario
08-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Funnily enough, I just went searching for the South Park style meme for it, but I've got nothing.. haha..
Its Monday morning, only 1 coffee down.. Give me a break..

http://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs/huge-coffee-cups.jpeg

???

Bon
08-09-2014, 11:03 AM
HAHAHA..
My mrs owns a deli/cafe, so thats my usual source.. Unfortunately there are other reasons that require me to slow down on the caffeine..

Fvck I could go for a coffee that size right now though!! Just had to sit through a 40 minute meeting where the key issues were arguing about if its departmental policy to mix the oil and petrol and put in the fuel tin, or leave them seperate and mix at required time.. God damn..

Grimario
08-09-2014, 11:07 AM
HAHAHA..
My mrs owns a deli/cafe, so thats my usual source.. Unfortunately there are other reasons that require me to slow down on the caffeine..

Fvck I could go for a coffee that size right now though!! Just had to sit through a 40 minute meeting where the key issues were arguing about if its departmental policy to mix the oil and petrol and put in the fuel tin, or leave them seperate and mix at required time.. God damn..

I just had a 40 minute meeting to tell me how to load up a web page and type some numbers into an input box.

Really are some blithering idiots in this company.

belchardo
08-09-2014, 11:24 AM
HAHAHA..

well, don't leave us hanging. what is the departmental policy?

Bon
08-09-2014, 11:26 AM
well, don't leave us hanging. what is the departmental policy?

This is the public sector mate, don't be asking me for results.. :grin:

MFKS
08-09-2014, 11:28 AM
All I know is the opportunity to get the knives out and start the Stubbins Out movement are growing by the day.

Instead of continually gutting the squad it is high time Phil got the boys to aim up on the park cause what we have seen so far is actually worse than GVE could do.

Seems like a rather stupid decision to applaud this decision to let Goodwin go when all it has done is mean we are firming to see Galloway start in Rd1

Bon
08-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Seems like a rather stupid decision to applaud this decision to let Goodwin go when all it has done is mean we are firming to see Galloway start in Rd1

Cheers for steering us back on topic..

I've got mixed feelings about Goodie going.. I wanted him to stay and live up to the hype and potential that a lot of us thought he had..
However he just hasnt really delivered. As others have said, I think this could turn out to be like James Brown and both could come back to seriously bite us..

Mark325
08-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Even though he could very well come back to bite us in the ass, the fact is from what we've seen of him in the trials under Stubbs, he wasn't going to show the potential he has. For us, it is kind of stupid this close to the start of the season to release a guy who started in most every trial game and who was one of our only players who wasn't absolute shit that can play LB, unless releasing him is going to allow us to sign a better player. In saying that though, even though I think we shouldn't have resigned him originally and I'm not upset to see him go, Gallaway and Virgili would have been the first in my mind to get rid of. But, in the end for him it was the right move and if this kid can regain the form of the game he played against Sydney in his debut then we have a future socceroo who is doing what it takes to further his career.

westjet
08-09-2014, 07:07 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/craig-goodwins-move-to-adelaide-opens-the-door-for-erik-paartalu-to-join-newcastle-jets/story-e6frf4gl-1227051805192?sv=fa94b7bbb08cebf3fce48ac051ba74d5# itm_s=foxs&itm_t=home&itm_c=content-3&itm_o=1&itm_l=Fox%20Feed%20-%20Jets eye Paartalu after releasing Goodwin

Craig Goodwin’s move to Adelaide opens the door for Erik Paartalu to join Newcastle Jets
Barry Toohey The Daily Telegraph September 08, 2014 6:01PM

FORMER Socceroos midfielder Erik Paartalu is back on the radar of the Newcastle Jets after it was confirmed the club had parted company with Craig Goodwin.

Goodwin was granted a release following an approach from Adelaide United, with the 22-year-old left winger believed to be keen to return to his home town after a mixed couple of seasons in Newcastle.

Jets coach Phil Stubbins said he was disappointed to lose a young player of Goodwin’s potential but admitted it opened the door for the club to strengthen their midfield with the start of the A-League season just five weeks away.

“He’s a kid that’s got potential but going through the maths, we’ve got a lot of left-sided players,” Stubbins said.

“A club has come in for Craig and it frees up a spot for us and we have to strengthen in other areas.

“It’s just been a balancing of the books. It’s disappointing to lose him but it’s about us moving forward as a club and a group.
“We are trying to strengthen the club and we need to bring in a player that’s a substantial acquisition.

“If it’s the player we have our eye on, (and) there’s a couple of them but one at the forefront, if it is all agreed, it will be a great coup for the club.”

Stubbins refused to divulge names but it’s believed the Jets are again chasing Paartalu, the former Brisbane Roar midfielder currently playing in Thailand.

The Jets made a big play for the 28-year-old a few months ago, with Paartalu believed to have agreed to terms.

But at the time, he was still contracted to Thai club Muang Thong and the deal fell through when he failed to gain a release.

There is speculation Newcastle would wait until the January transfer window when Paartalu was out of contract to have another crack, but a deal could be struck with the former Roar premiership-winner before the A-League season kicks off.

Stubbins, in his first season as Jets coach, said his side’s recent trip to Townsville for a pre-season tournament that also featured Sydney FC and Brisbane had given him a good insight into the strengths and weaknesses of his squad.

“Looking at where we stand as a squad, Townsville was a fantastic insight into our strengths and where we are a little bit short,” he said.

“The central midfield area is something we need to really strengthen. It’s well documented we have lost a lot of players from that area.”

joel31
08-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Good signing if we get him

lquiquer
08-09-2014, 08:00 PM
What if it's Bresciano?.......

MFKS
08-09-2014, 08:12 PM

We will be even more pedestrian in midfield than we are now.

Bresc everytime you watch him play for the NT struts around like he is ADP.

ie never breaks into a jog in defence

Tommyjet
08-09-2014, 08:21 PM

Would lose my shit!! Would be great offensively but like the member has stated, bresciano has become a bit pedestrian.

leftrightout
08-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Would lose my shit!! Would be great offensively but like the member has stated, bresciano has become a bit pedestrian.

We already have Flores in the creative role... as much a hero Bresc is, its not the position we need a high quality player in (at the moment)
A player like Paartalu is pretty essential i think!

Tommyjet
08-09-2014, 09:03 PM
We already have Flores in the creative role... as much a hero Bresc is, its not the position we need a high quality player in (at the moment)
A player like Paartalu is pretty essential i think!

I agree

hawk
09-09-2014, 10:15 AM
Get paarta in. no kudos in thai leagues

plague
09-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Get paarta in. no kudos in thai leagues

We used to have a Paartlu, his name was Jobe.

Premy
09-09-2014, 01:35 PM
HAHAHA..

Fvck I could go for a coffee that size right now though!! Just had to sit through a 40 minute meeting where the key issues were arguing about if its departmental policy to mix the oil and petrol and put in the fuel tin, or leave them seperate and mix at required time.. God damn..Lovely to see my taxes being well spent again. :rolfz:

pv4
09-09-2014, 01:36 PM
We will be even more pedestrian in midfield than we are now.

Bresc everytime you watch him play for the NT struts around like he is ADP.

ie never breaks into a jog in defence

I disagree so much

MFKS
09-09-2014, 01:58 PM
I disagree so much

So your claiming Bresciano runs his arse off in defence??

I stand by what I said. In defence the bloke is a statue like ADP. In attack he gets involved but you can't carry blokes who don't run these days. Even ADP with all his talents was a liability to Smurfs success as they were defending with 10 men each game

Tommyjet
09-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Just saw that chris herd is available on loan. Known as more of a midfielder than right back. Could he be the one stubbsy is trying to get.

leftrightout
10-09-2014, 08:13 AM
Just saw that chris herd is available on loan. Known as more of a midfielder than right back. Could he be the one stubbsy is trying to get.

Would be interesting, he was one of the only stand outs for me the other day against the saudi's

GazFish35
10-09-2014, 08:54 AM
Don't worry pv4, the member mustn't rate pirlo either.

joel31
10-09-2014, 04:08 PM
I'd sign him and play him holding mid

OmeletteDuFromage
11-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Allan Welsh in.

lquiquer
13-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Anyone knows when Hoole will be back? Is he training at all?

joel31
13-09-2014, 10:23 PM
don't know I was wondering this too?

q-money
15-09-2014, 10:54 AM
paartalu to city

celeski injured, kanta losing the plot...massive miss for big phil here, make no mistake

lquiquer
15-09-2014, 11:01 AM
That is bad news :slap:

Tommyjet
15-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Anyone know the loan rules in England? Could chris herd be loaned to the a-league? Villa have said he is available on loan while the loan period is still open

Thomas477
15-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Welp, been Middlebyed again.

Couscous
15-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Well done, City. The league needs City to succeed, so we shouldn't complain.

MFKS
15-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Well done, City. The league needs City to succeed, so we shouldn't complain.

Why do we need City to succeed??

I would suggest the FFA need all 10 clubs to be successful

No club is entitled to success and no one is deserving of it without the hard work required.

They put the hard yards in and get the rewards then fair play to them. They ain't entitled or ain't deserving of it just cause they are from a big city.

leftrightout
15-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Would he be under the cap or marquee?

Couscous
15-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Why do we need City to succeed??

Sorry, sir, but I'm reading from an FFA-authorised script, and although the word "Sydney" has been crossed out and replaced with "City", that change has been initialled and is clearly now official policy.

Nou Camp
15-09-2014, 12:48 PM
am hearing some pretty concerning rumours coming from the club about celeski
apparently he is long termed injured (like may not play all year) and was signed without proper medical,
groins are shot...

same person was right about culina never playing for the club months before it came out in the media

anyone know anything further

Tommyjet
15-09-2014, 01:05 PM

plague
15-09-2014, 01:10 PM
To be fair, even the Gypo players knew Cullina wouldn't play. No real secret.
Awesome news re:Paartalu. Only 17,236 more candidates to rule out before club realises we should never have let Jobe go.

No point ringing him today though, prob staring at his Trophies.

plague
15-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Also: what's the bet he still won't play Pepper there even though it's the spot he's played his best games for us in.

Stubbins out.

leftrightout
15-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Comparing Jobe to Paartalu? :slap:

plague
15-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Also: great work by the Jets overlords putting their stink all over Anfield on the weekend.
Reds rolled by Villa in the presence of those lot.

Prob get relegated now.

Look for Anfield to be torn down and rebuilt to try and remove the Middleby curse.

plague
15-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Comparing Jobe to Paartalu? :slap:

Compare him to Dougie the Pizza boy for all I care, neither bastard is getting a run for us.

Tommyjet
15-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Sky falling and all that. Want there a weak bresciano rumour goin around last week? I know he's no physical beast like paartalu but he would significantly raise the intelligence level in the mids. Best option for me would be chris herd on loan if it is possible. Cm his preferred position and exactly the type of player we need.
I'm sure we'll just end up with nick ward again tho

pv4
15-09-2014, 01:23 PM
paartalu to city

celeski injured, kanta losing the plot...massive miss for big phil here, make no mistake

Yep, I feel we've missed out on Erik as much as we missed out on Smeltz back in the day. I think we'll regret this majorly.

Happy to be proved wrong with a town blowing away signing though.

plague
15-09-2014, 01:34 PM

Venables.

Premy
15-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Dear Stubbins, Middleby, The Herald or Couscous

Bring Jimmy Home. Please
Yours sincerely Premy.

MFKS
15-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Stubbins out.

FFS Plague You know I am itching to start the thread.

Don't steal my thunder

all in due time

plague
15-09-2014, 02:16 PM
FFS Plague You know I am itching to start the thread.

Don't steal my thunder

all in due time

Too late. One started about 6 seconds after he was announced as coach.

It's a Foz tradition.

Thomas477
15-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Dear Stubbins, Middleby, The Herald or Couscous

Bring Jimmy Home. Please
Yours sincerely Premy.

We've had our differences, but I'll second this.

hausmann
15-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Also: great work by the Jets overlords putting their stink all over Anfield on the weekend.
Reds rolled by Villa in the presence of those lot.

Prob get relegated now.

Look for Anfield to be torn down and rebuilt to try and remove the Middleby curse.

Classic!

MFKS
15-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Too late. One started about 6 seconds after he was announced as coach.

It's a Foz tradition.

It was deleted. Furns wouldn't let it run until it was needed

Thomas477
15-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Well I think it's needed now tbh.

WolfMan
15-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Yep, I feel we've missed out on Erik as much as we missed out on Smeltz back in the day. I think we'll regret this majorly.

I think in a few years, we'll look back at Paartalu as the best player we never had at this club...

plague
15-09-2014, 04:54 PM
It was deleted. Furns wouldn't let it run until it was needed

Furns out

MFKS
15-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Furns out
Focus on bridges out.

Bloke let his kids down he coaches by globe trotting AGAIN and leaving them high and dry yesterday for their big day.

Was talking to a bloke at the game yesterday who brought it to my attention that he thinks Bridges is a bigger problem than I do. Couldn't believe it

Not only that he single handedly has sabotaged Liverpool's season by taking Middleby/Palmer anywhere near them.

WolfMan
15-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Focus on bridges out.

Bloke let his kids down he coaches by globe trotting AGAIN and leaving them high and dry yesterday for their big day.

Was talking to a bloke at the game yesterday who brought it to my attention that he thinks Bridges is a bigger problem than I do. Couldn't believe it

Not only that he single handedly has sabotaged Liverpool's season by taking Middleby/Palmer anywhere near them.

That was a mirror in the bathroom MFKS. You were talking to yourself....

Thomas477
15-09-2014, 06:20 PM
Focus on bridges out.

Tbh, that's a case for Middleby and Bridges In.

Fairgo
15-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Focus on bridges out.

Bridges has only been a part time coach and goes when it suits him (would love a job like that) he started late after his season and had time to rest then was away again for the World Cup and when ever he has other commitments. Just hoping he is only being paid part time rates, it appears he has the executives rapped around his finger and allowed to do what he wants when he wants but yes he is a nice bloke so it is all ok.

MFKS
16-09-2014, 08:56 AM
NEWCASTLE Jets are back to square one in their search for a central midfielder after No.1 target Erik Paartalu signed a four-year deal with A-League rivals Melbourne City yesterday.

Paartalu is in the later stages of a lucrative deal at Thai club Muangthong United and had been in talks with the Jets for months.

‘‘We put a decent offer on the table for him but Melbourne City have come in over the top,’’ Jets coach Phil Stubbins said.

‘‘The deal is for four years, which is a long contract in the A-League.

‘‘We were a little loath to get over-committed to one player.

‘‘There are others out there we had struck up initial relationships with before making a play for Erik.

‘‘We will cast the net and start again.’’

The Jets released Craig Goodwin to Adelaide United to create space in the salary cap for Paartalu.

‘‘We don’t have the luxury of using Australian and under-23 marquee spot that someone like Melbourne City do,’’ Stubbins said.

On the back of Paartalu’s knock back, Billy Celeski will have surgery on his groin tomorrow, leaving the Jets midfield stocks thin.

Former skipper Jobe Wheelhouse starred for Lambton Jaffas in their 2-0 win over Weston in the Northern NSW National Premier League grand final on Sunday but Stubbins said the 29-year-old midfielder was not an option at this stage.

Jets management are in England for a series of meetings with potential buyers of the club.

However, Stubbins did not believe the uncertainty surrounding the ownership would have a direct impact on contract talks.

Adelaide 20-year-old Allan Welsh arrived in Newcastle yesterday after guiding Croydon Kings to a premiership in the South Australian National Premier League.

‘‘He is buoyed by his victory and we might try him as a No.6.’’

With Ben Kantarovski suspended after receiving two yellow cards in the 2-1 win over Wellington, Jacob Pepper and Taylor Regan are likely to team up in midfield against the Mariners in Mudgee on Saturday.

Stubbins had to cancel another hit-out for fringe players against their neighbours tomorrow due to a lack of numbers.

On a positive note, Marcos Flores has pulled up well from his first game in ninemonths and is hungry for more.

Flores played 25minutes off the bench and set up the match winner for James Virgili in the 2-1 win over Wellington.

‘‘My knee reacted really well, so I’m really happy and buzzing to have played my first 20minutes of football,’’ Flores said.

It was the Argentinian’s first outing since he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee in January when contracted to the Mariners.

‘‘I was really nervous, to be honest,’’ Flores said.

‘‘I want to apologise for my first few touches. I made many mistakes but I will not apologise for me trying.

‘‘I’m not afraid to make mistakes. I said to Chille [Virgili] 1000 times, I will play forward.

‘‘We spoke about that play 10 seconds before.

‘‘It was not the ball, it was his run.

‘‘I expect them to score goals and they expect me to set them up for them.’’

The Jets kick off their A-League campaign against the Mariners in Gosford on October 11 and Flores aims to be there.

The clash against the Mariners in Mudgee will be Flores’s first against his former club.

leftrightout
16-09-2014, 09:10 AM
Same old jets.... why do we do this to ourselves!

pv4
16-09-2014, 10:20 AM
We don’t have the luxury of using Australian and under-23 marquee spot

Jerks

Thomas477
16-09-2014, 10:25 AM
Gets rid of Goodwin for Portaloo, don't sign Portaloo
Gets rid of coaching staff for Arnold, don't sign Armold.

Note the theme here?

pv4
16-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Gets rid of Goodwin for Portaloo, don't sign Portaloo
Gets rid of coaching staff for Arnold, don't sign Armold.

Note the theme here?

Bridges is plotting to be player coach.

http://everythingsimpsons.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/grampva.png

GazFish35
16-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Bridges has only been a part time coach and goes when it suits him (would love a job like that) he started late after his season and had time to rest then was away again for the World Cup and when ever he has other commitments. Just hoping he is only being paid part time rates, it appears he has the executives rapped around his finger and allowed to do what he wants when he wants but yes he is a nice bloke so it is all ok.

Ljubo warned us all years ago.

leftrightout
16-09-2014, 11:49 AM
This Celeski thing is a worry as well... how on earth does the club sign a bloke with this kind of injury? Has he played a single minute for us?

It is really quite embarassing that Paartalu has gone to Heart, Celeski has signed but probably wont play a minute for us and our heads of club are living it up in Europe...
Am i allowed to get my membership back?

Thomas477
16-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Bridges is plotting to be player coach.

http://everythingsimpsons.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/grampva.png

:lulz:

And I thought Tinks had shot the medical staff who cleared Culina? Obviously they're still around.

borat
16-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Missing out on Paartalu isn't the problem. Heart offered 4 years and we likely offered 2. The problem is that Stubbins has identified, seemingly too late, that we are weak at DM and have used all our foreign spaces.

The signing of Steele seems quite strange when we had already had both Goodwin and Carney on contract. We could have signed any number of OS DMs rather than the few Aussies that are available

Tommyjet
16-09-2014, 05:56 PM
I think he thought Steele would be more of an option at cm. Maybe now after training and a few games he only sees Steele as a left mid.

Grimario
16-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Good thing we got rid of Goodwin... he was apparently close to best on ground, scored a goal in 2-0 behind closed doors friendly against Melb City.

furns
16-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Yep. And people were incredulous when I suggested that he was our best LB option.

Grimario
16-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Yep. And people were incredulous when I suggested that he was our best LB option.

Incredulous?

Twit.

Grimario
18-09-2014, 04:39 PM
What would people say to signing Jon McKain as our holding mid? He's definitely played there in the past, reasonably good on the ball...

lil_masi
18-09-2014, 04:51 PM
What would people say to signing Jon McKain as our holding mid? He's definitely played there in the past, reasonably good on the ball...

Id take him.Our options are pretty limited for an experienced aussie

Grimario
18-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Personally, I think if we sign him, he has experience to lend to a bunch of our younger players, is versatile enough that he can cover defenders as well and he has the upside that if he turns out to be as calamitous as Kantarovski or Gallaway, giving away needless FK's, penalties and getting yellow cards, we can always go Ah McKain, you've done it again.

plague
18-09-2014, 05:04 PM

I think he has shit hair.
We start bringing the likes of this bloke in (combined with some of Peppers recent efforts) and all of a sudden our squad looks like the crowd at an Angus and Julia Stone concert.

McKain out.

furns
18-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Incredulous?

Twit.wait, wat?

Premy
18-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Personally, I think if we sign him, he has experience to lend to a bunch of our younger players, is versatile enough that he can cover defenders as well and he has the upside that if he turns out to be as calamitous as Kantarovski or Gallaway, giving away needless FK's, penalties and getting yellow cards, we can always go Ah McKain, you've done it again.
Is he a step up from the likes of Jobe, Zads, Razzler etc?
IMO not really.

Grimario
18-09-2014, 06:12 PM
Is he a step up from the likes of Jobe, Zads, Razzler etc?
IMO not really.

Our attempts at stepping up have been fantastic thus far.

And yes, he is a step up from those guys IMO. Far better on the ball than Zads, better defensively than Jobe. Obviously past his peak but given our shit attempts at replacing someone in the middle of the pitch, if we are looking at some experience in the middle, we could do a hell of a lot worse.

Tommyjet
18-09-2014, 06:16 PM
Good call, forgot about mckain. He'd certainly be better than signing no one. Also has a bit of 'annoying arrogance' about him which can ruffle opposition players and supporters which I think we are lacking since zads left.

pv4
18-09-2014, 06:16 PM
Jobe >

Grimario
18-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Jobe >
Too true, Jobe is better than empty space.

plague
18-09-2014, 06:53 PM
He'd certainly be better than signing no one.

Seriously, this needs to be our club motto.

hauss, you're a man of values, how bout getting this emblazened on our crest?

Tommyjet
19-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Apparently looking at rob paratore, 19yo Aussie cm last at Leicester city

borat
19-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Apparently looking at rob paratore, 19yo Aussie cm last at Leicester city

I little digging will tell you that Leicester released him in May and was picked up by non-league Barwell. But hey, we are desperate and its a trial starting next week

GazFish35
19-09-2014, 01:11 PM
I little digging will tell you that Leicester released him in May and was picked up by non-league Barwell. But hey, we are desperate and its a trial starting next week

hmmmmm.

heskey was leicester, rumours around leiscester might be buying club, paratore coming from lester.

does 2+@ = 4, or have gotten 5 for my answer?

anyone know how to spell lescesteir?

Grimario
19-09-2014, 01:38 PM
hmmmmm.

heskey was leicester, rumours around leiscester might be buying club, paratore coming from lester.

does 2+@ = 4, or have gotten 5 for my answer?

anyone know how to spell lescesteir?

Just stick with Lester.

plague
19-09-2014, 04:23 PM
I think you'll find its pronounced 'Lie-chester'.

cc Ted Lasso

Couscous
19-09-2014, 10:04 PM
I think it's time Patafta had a third chance in the A-League. He's 25 and I'd bet that, this time around, he'll finally shine.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YnSj-ws4uyg/RobfQbMBxNI/AAAAAAAAAPw/jyv47apAyjk/s400/P6280355.JPG

I'll have a natter with Gary and see what happens. Perhaps we could get Ontong back, too, if we tried.

Thomas477
20-09-2014, 12:31 AM
Anyone else remember Stubbs saying that the replacement for Goodwun would be coup for this club?

If this new guy is a coup, then we Middleby and Stubbins need to go ASAP. They are aiming for mediocrity and failing to even reach that.

Also, Kazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Tommyjet
20-09-2014, 06:20 AM
Anyone else remember Stubbs saying that the replacement for Goodwun would be coup for this club?

If this new guy is a coup, then we Middleby and Stubbins need to go ASAP. They are aiming for mediocrity and failing to even reach that.

Also, Kazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

That coup was meant to be paartalu. That comment is probably not valid now.

Thomas477
20-09-2014, 11:14 AM
That coup was meant to be paartalu. That comment is probably not valid now.

Still shows how incompetent we are. Announce that Goodwin's replacement will be a coup for the club, fail to sign said player even when we were desperate for a player in that position, yet potentially sign some 19yo who no one has ever heard of.

Pico
20-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Still shows how incompetent we are. Announce that Goodwin's replacement will be a coup for the club, fail to sign said player even when we were desperate for a player in that position, yet potentially sign some 19yo who no one has ever heard of.

Worked for Ange when he originally signed poortaloo from Scotland.

I think you will also find that big Phil never said we had a replacement,he simply said if we get the player who they were targeting it will strengthen the mid field.

www.newcastlejets.com.au/video/press-conference---phil-stubbins/976647

Tommyjet
20-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Sarota to roar one yr loan.

Surely we can tap up chris herd on a loan so we get our centre mid and he gets plenty of game time before the Asian cup

The Dunster
21-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Why would any player even consider coming to this abortion of a club ?

Paartalu must have pissed himself laughing when the club approached him.

The team is shit as is the management and coaching staff.

Someone at the club is either making decisions purely designed to bring about the clubs demise or they are truly the worst sports administrators to have ever existed.

The appointment of Phil Stubbins was a step backwards and only enhanced the fact that the club does not want to move forward.

With respect to players. They are either not good enough, injured, or in the twilight years of their careers.

As far as fans go the active support is now a long way behind where it was for the first few seasons of the league - and that I blame on the FFA and the club - not the fans themselves.

People were not happy during Branko Culinas tenure at the club but all things considered the club was doing better both on and off the park then than it is now.

It's over people. broken beyond repair. We will never have a team that is competitive again.

The real Newcastle Jets disbanded the day they stopped wearing gold.

Thomas477
21-09-2014, 12:20 PM

Someone at the club is either making decisions purely designed to bring about the clubs demise or they are truly the worst sports administrators to have ever existed.

The appointment of Phil Stubbins was a step backwards and only enhanced the fact that the club does not want to move forward.

With respect to players. They are either not good enough, injured, or in the twilight years of their careers.

As far as fans go the active support is now a long way behind where it was for the first few seasons of the league - and that I blame on the FFA and the club - not the fans themselves.

People were not happy during Branko Culinas tenure at the club but all things considered the club was doing better both on and off the park then than it is now.

It's over people. broken beyond repair. We will never have a team that is competitive again.

+1 top post, although I still hold hope that we can recover if and when Middleby is sacked.

sammydog
21-09-2014, 12:34 PM

And who killed the gold.....Tinkler.

Who's trying to sell the club....Tinkler.

Don't forget that the very fact that everyone knows he is trying to off load the club at the first chance will put doubt in any prospective players mind. Why would you come here when you have no idea who, if anyone, will buy. There is no stability.

Middleby or any CEO couldn't control that fact and it will stop people (players and coaches) wanting to come here.

The sooner Tinkler moves on, the sooner the club can. Thats where the baggage has come from, not middleby.

MFKS
21-09-2014, 04:10 PM

FFS we have not even started the season proper yet. Thought it would be a bit longer before despair of that level would set in

People have been saying that for a while now.:thumbsup:

Welcome aboard the Middleby Out bandwagon

Couscous
21-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Disgusted by the anti-club comments in this thread. I hope those chips dislocate your shoulders.

#GoJets

foti68
21-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Disgusted by the anti-club comments in this thread. I hope those chips dislocate your shoulders.

#GoJets

I agree, The season has not even started yet and the death riding has started. Since the start of the A-league we have not had a decent No.10 we finally get one so I am optimistic that at least we may score some goals. I recall over the last few years our pre-season form was good but we failed to do anything when it counted. Last year we started on fire and were in the top 3 for the first third of the year we lost 2 players Kanta and Nev and it all turned pear shaped. FFS give Stubbins a go and support your team.

GazFish35
21-09-2014, 08:11 PM
It's a long offseason

lquiquer
21-09-2014, 08:20 PM
It's a long offseason

It will be even longer next year when we out of finals contention by Australia day :whistling::blush:

Jetmaster
21-09-2014, 08:46 PM

http://www.jrj-socrates.com/Cartoon%20Pics/Hanna%20Barbera/HB%20Misc/Hardy_Har_Har_301.gif

Grimario
22-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Sarota to roar one yr loan.

Surely we can tap up chris herd on a loan so we get our centre mid and he gets plenty of game time before the Asian cup

SBS - The World Game ‏@TheWorldGame 1m
We hear a whisper that a @Socceroos player could be on the move in a loan deal. Details to come soon #sbstwg

Tommyjet
22-09-2014, 04:33 PM
SBS - The World Game ‏@TheWorldGame 1m
We hear a whisper that a @Socceroos player could be on the move in a loan deal. Details to come soon #sbstwg

Would love to be herd to jets but really could be a number of players really.

Grimario
22-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Oh, for sure... Kruse springs to mind. Starter at Leverkusen before he did his knee, hasn't featured at all this season. Imagine 2. Bundesliga side or something.

plague
22-09-2014, 04:51 PM

#GoJets
You're new here aren't you?

Grimario
22-09-2014, 04:56 PM
You're new here aren't you?

No, he's a Victory fan living in Canberra who likes the Jets the most out of all the teams.

Or something.

plague
22-09-2014, 06:19 PM
No, he's a Victory fan living in Canberra who likes the Jets the most out of all the teams.

Or something.
Oh, he'll fit in perfectly then.

Premy
22-09-2014, 06:21 PM

Or something.
You forgot to mention he sympathizes for the Herald.

Tommyjet
22-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Oh, for sure... Kruse springs to mind. Starter at Leverkusen before he did his knee, hasn't featured at all this season. Imagine 2. Bundesliga side or something.

Isn't it great how sbs say they'll have more news very soon and then still haven't made another comment 2/3 hrs later. Makes me think their source may have been not so reliable

Grimario
22-09-2014, 06:50 PM
Isn't it great how sbs say they'll have more news very soon and then still haven't made another comment 2/3 hrs later. Makes me think their source may have been not so reliable

I shot a message to Adam howard who runs the OS Aussies stuff... and he hasn't heard anything. His suspicions are Ruka or Kruse though.

Tommyjet
22-09-2014, 07:04 PM
I shot a message to Adam howard who runs the OS Aussies stuff... and he hasn't heard anything. His suspicions are Ruka or Kruse though.

It would be great to see chris herd to get a loan tho, especially with him impressing in the recent friendlies. He would be our best possible midfield option remaining, and that's only if management realised it was possible. We would have 2 spots left am I right? Anyone know if jets are training on Thursday, time and ray watt? Got the day off so was gonna go see if this paratore kid Is any good.

Thomas477
22-09-2014, 08:39 PM

Just what we need, another forward. We're not short in midfield or anything,

Couscous
22-09-2014, 09:23 PM
You forgot to mention he sympathizes for the Herald (http://www.theherald.com.au/sport/90minutes/).

Fixed (with a convenient hyperlink to aid forumites).

Grimario
22-09-2014, 10:05 PM
Just what we need, another forward. We're not short in midfield or anything,

:lulz:

What gave you the impression that the link had anything to do with us?

Kruse has been linked with Mainz and Frankfurt... he ain't coming to Newcastle.

Premy
23-09-2014, 06:03 AM
Fixed (with a convenient hyperlink to aid forumites).
:chant::tongue:

Tommyjet
23-09-2014, 07:34 AM
Chris herd set for loan move to Bolton.

Gee I hope paratore is a hidden gem

Grimario
23-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Would love to be herd to jets but really could be a number of players really.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/herd-join-wanderers-reports

:gent:

Jerks never in the running. Bet we didn't even ask.

Premy
23-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Kanta to go under the knife, his knee apparently 3-4 weeks "exploratory surgery".

The Dunster
23-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Kanta to go under the knife, his knee apparently 3-4 weeks "exploratory surgery".

Hopefully they find his old form while they are digging around.

Tommyjet
23-09-2014, 05:33 PM

&uck me

Grimario
23-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Hopefully they find his old form while they are digging around.

Problem is if they find anything in there, they are going to take it out.

Local Rules
23-09-2014, 05:50 PM

At least it is only half as bad as 6-8 weeks

Tommyjet
23-09-2014, 05:56 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aFbNpvmIhGQ

Found this of paratore. I know it's only a YouTube clip but some of it looks impressive. Two footed, strong in the tackle, throws himself about.

hawk
23-09-2014, 08:00 PM

Or something.

thus the most optimism, fair enough. Distance can be a very kind thing.

belchardo
24-09-2014, 11:02 AM
I live in Canberra. I'm not optimistic. not as pessimistic as some though, so maybe he lives south of the lake.

joel31
25-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Paratore according to FM...
http://puu.sh/bN2CQ/c424160252.jpg
i.e. he's crap

with potential to be a fairly good A-League player

Tommyjet
25-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Paratore according to FM...
http://puu.sh/bN2CQ/c424160252.jpg
i.e. he's crap

with potential to be a fairly good A-League player

Watched him at training today. He looked alright to me without setting the world alight. Good at maintaining possession and pretty aggressive in the tackle. Looked lost at times but that's understandable as he only been there a couple of days and there wasn't really a lot of cohesion between any of them out there.

I feel for Neville as a lot of the time he was in acres of space but largely ignored as it seemed the left side of Steele and carney was preferred.

Jeronimo looked sharpe and big edson looked frustrated as he barely touched the ball as session. 4 players to impress me were pepper, welsh, cowburn and youngest kanta. Pepper looks like he'll start the season in the middle. He played some impressive balls forward and broke up play easily. He and youngest kanta looked like a good midfield partnership for the future.

Oh and griff sat out most of session with ice on his groin. Didn't seem too worried so hopefully just a strain.

GazFish35
25-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Oh and griff sat out most of session with ice on his groin. Didn't seem too worried so hopefully just a strain.

Rumours around that since Heskey left griff gas gone back to having the largest in the squad, and Kew and Edson are not happy. Ice is clearly griffo's way of reducing size and thus restoring team harmony.

borat
29-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Updated

Squad Restrictions
Min Squad Size 20
Max Foreign Players 5

Current contracted squad 22 (max 1 squad places remaining including 0 (fgn) players))

Squad List

2014/15

1. Mark Birighitti
4. Kew Jaliens (fgn) (capt)
6. Adrian Madaschi
8. Edson Montano (fgn)
9. Joel Griffiths
10. Marcos Flores (fgn)
12. Sam Gallagher
14. Billy Celeski
17. James Virgili
19. Mitch Cooper (Youth Player - u21)
20. Ben Kennedy
21. Sam Gallaway
??. Allan Welsh

2015/16

2. Scott Neville
3. Taylor Regan
5. Ben Kantarovski
7. Jeronimo Neuman (fgn)
13. Joshua Barresi (Youth Player - u21)
15. Andrew Hoole (Youth Player - u21)
16. Jacob Pepper
22. Jonny Steele (fgn)
23. David Carney
25. Brandon Lundy (Contracted NYL player)

Manager

Phil Stubbins (15/16)

Mark325
29-09-2014, 01:49 PM
How long are Celeski and Baressi supposed to be out for?

borat
29-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Baressi is out for the season. Celeski is hopefully back in the first 4 rounds

joel31
30-09-2014, 10:35 PM
not first team news but a new signing
http://sunshinecoastfc.com.au/edgar-secures-spot-with-newcastle-jets-national-youth-league-squad/

hawk
01-10-2014, 12:15 AM
not first team news but a new signing
http://sunshinecoastfc.com.au/edgar-secures-spot-with-newcastle-jets-national-youth-league-squad/

Our 1st team must be ready to cruise to the top cause we are chasing 16yr olds.

Imyourhero
03-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Nobody interested in Caravella being back?

Grimario
03-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Nobody interested in Caravella being back?

In the Daily News Thread.