PDA

View Full Version : 2014 World Cup Thread

joel31
04-12-2013, 03:00 PM
http://puu.sh/5b3GD.jpg

With the official ball and pots announced, with the draw this Saturday, I think its time to create a World Cup thread

I quite like the new ball:

http://puu.sh/5BwSo.jpg

And the following are the pots:
Pot 1 (top eight seeds): Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Belgium, Colombia, Germany, Switzerland, Uruguay

Pot 2: Ivory Coast, Ghana, Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon, Chile, Ecuador

Pot 3: Japan, Iran, South Korea, Australia, United States, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras

Pot 4: Bosnia, Croatia, England, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, France

Premy
04-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Obviously they are a quality side, But how do the 5th placed South American side get seeded above the 3rd & 4th placed South American sides as well as being seeded above the likes of Netherlands, Italy, England & Croatia?

joel31
04-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Are you talking about Colombia?
They are my dark horse for the World Cup

Jeterpool
04-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Obviously they are a quality side, But how do the 5th placed South American side get seeded above the 3rd & 4th placed South American sides as well as being seeded above the likes of Netherlands, Italy, England & Croatia?

Because when the line in the sand was drawn by FIFA some months ago (October I think), they were in a seeded position based on their world ranking.

MFKS
04-12-2013, 03:38 PM
The whole thing is a farce with the rules and permutations put in to protect the bigger sides getting through.

Draw the thing out of a hat so you can get a group of

Spain Brazil Argentina Germany

or

Australia Honduras Greece Iran

etc

The BS with the seeds is a joke when a country like Holland missed out on a seed cause they chose to play a friendly game against Indonesia yet Switzerland who chose to play minimal friendlies ended up so high.

Hello Mr Blatters touch

russjaybee
04-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Almost bit that one.

Carn 'straya etc!

Premy
04-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Are you talking about Colombia?
They are my dark horse for the World Cup

No Uruguay its a joke Chile and Ecuador clearly finished above them in qualifying. FFS if Brazil were not the host nation you would of expected them to finish above Uruguay in the qualifiers and Uruguay would of missed out on qualification yet they get seeded. Only FIFA could of came up with this logic

belchardo
04-12-2013, 04:02 PM
FIFA's complex 2014 World Cup draw causes confusion as teams fear tropical placements

FIFA has revealed the new and complicated procedure to be implemented for Saturday's (AEDT) World Cup draw, which will determine which teams comprise the eight first-round groups for the 2014 showpiece.

The announcement of this system has been met with some confusion, with great emphasis being put on maintaining the geographical balance of the draw.

General secretary Jerome Valcke admitted that the procedure is less than straightforward, as questions continue to be asked of Brazil's preparedness to host next year's event.

"It's not easy to understand it the first time, I agree with you," he said.

"It took me a long time to make sure I had the right explanation."

Pot 1 (seeds): Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland.

Pot 2: Chile, Ecuador, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon.

Pot 3: USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Japan, Iran, South Korea, Australia.

Pot 4: Holland, Italy, England, Portugal, Greece, Bosnia, Croatia, Russia, France

Pot 1 contains the top eight seeds for the tournament, namely hosts Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, Uruguay, Germany, Spain, Belgium and Switzerland.

Pot 2 features the five African teams to qualify - Ghana, Ivory Coast, Algeria, Nigeria and Cameroon - as well as the remaining non-seeded South American teams Chile and Ecuador.

At present, Pot 2 only contains seven teams, with the final spot to be filled by a European team from Pot 4 in a bizarre pre-draw.

Pot 3 consists of the Asian qualifiers Australia, Japan, Iran and South Korea as well as the rest of the American nations, United States, Mexico, Costa Rica and Honduras.

Nine European sides - Bosnia, England, Croatia, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia and France - make up Pot 4, with one of these teams to be pre-drawn into Pot 2.

Climate issues no concern to Blatter

While the rest of the world attempts to make sense of FIFA's latest announcement, president Sepp Blatter has stood by the decision to play matches at midday in the tropical venues, despite concerns for player welfare.

In an attempt to maximise European television exposure, a series of group stage games between June 12 and June 22 will be played at 1:00pm local time. In north-eastern cities such as Fortaleza, Natal, Salvador and Recife, these early matches will be contested in extreme heat and humidity.

In contrast, matches played in the southernmost regions of Brazil, such as Porto Alegre, will be in wintry cold temperatures. Unenviably, the team drawn in Group E's third spot - possibly Australia - will travel straight to the heat of Salvador from the cool of Porto Alegre for its first two group matches.

Despite claims that success in the 2014 tournament could be determined by which nations can best avoid the harsh Brazilian elements, Blatter has stood by the fixturing decisions.

"We're sticking with the kick-off times, they have been decided, there is no change," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-04/fifa-announce-world-cup-draw-procedure/5133674?section=sport

Premy
04-12-2013, 04:44 PM
:banghead:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-04/fifa-announce-world-cup-draw-procedure/5133674?section=sport

Well that clears up everything

parksey
04-12-2013, 05:48 PM
How the **** are Switzerland seeded?

GazFish35
04-12-2013, 06:14 PM

I have a very strong opinion on this, but I'll stay neutral.

Premy
04-12-2013, 06:21 PM
I have a very strong opinion on this, but I'll stay neutral.

I'll hold my judgements on this until member misses the pun

MFKS
04-12-2013, 06:28 PM

Good qualifying results,Minimal friendly games played and pretty successful at what they did play knocking over Brazil who are ranked high which helped their cause

On the other hand Netherlands have a great WC pedigree were pretty great in Qualifying and played more friendlies. One friendly in particular hurt as they played Indonesia probably due to old school politics from back in the day that it was a Dutch Colony. As Indonesia are ranked poorly it effected the points Netherlands got for it. If they hadn't of played this game they would be a seed.

Even Italy got screwed cause they chose to play a match against lowly San Marino which hammered them.

Basically teams have been punished for playing friendlies(regardless of result) against the lesser nations. Whilst others have profited by not playing many friendlies and playing against the big boys

Go figure how they come to this conclusion

What is also crap about this draw is possible future powers ie USA Japan African nations etc are being held back with tough draws due to the way it is rigged to preserve the elite Euro/Sth American nations from rough draws.

Don't even get me started on the BS about games kicking off for Euro TV. FFS It is Sth Americas WC

Stay up late you soft Euro twats

furns
04-12-2013, 06:39 PM
I have a very strong opinion on this, but I'll stay neutral.http://videogamewriters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/futurama-neutral-maybe1.jpg

plague
04-12-2013, 08:09 PM
ESPN.com has a group generator and all of them I've done are horrific for Australia. Which is good because, you know, we are shit.
Not quite sure what the fuss is about. I don't ever really remember a country winning the World Cup by getting a lucky draw. Pretty sure you have to be really good and beat other really good teams.
Could be wrong though.
Also, everyone knows FIFA have trademarked the phrase 'group of death'. Every time someone uses it they have to pay Sepp a couple of bucks. The more tough groups the better for the coffers.
True story look it up its on the internet.

MFKS
04-12-2013, 08:31 PM
ESPN.com has a group generator and all of them I've done are horrific for Australia. Which is good because, you know, we are shit.
Not quite sure what the fuss is about. I don't ever really remember a country winning the World Cup by getting a lucky draw. Pretty sure you have to be really good and beat other really good teams.
Could be wrong though.
Also, everyone knows FIFA have trademarked the phrase 'group of death'. Every time someone uses it they have to pay Sepp a couple of bucks. The more tough groups the better for the coffers.
True story look it up its on the internet.

I actually couldn't give two ****s who we get.

A soft draw and good results will only paper over the cracks of the Socceroos issues.

Much rather we got a shit draw put up some noble performances before succumbing to the likes of Spain Argies Porkos Italy Etc. Either that or get arse raped on the world stage so we can have a good solid look at what isn't right with the game in this country to move us forward long term

On another note I am more interested in where we play.

Don't want games in Rio as it will cost more in accommodation and I am going there anyways. Don't want the opening game V Brazil as tickets harder to get and also about $300 dearer, Don't particularly want some back and forth travel plan the equivalent of Sydney>> Perth>>Wellington>>Darwin etc and hopefully get the next games reasonable close to the last cities

Would ideally like our last/first games in Belo Horizante/Sao Paulo as it will cut out the expense of a overpriced flight as these can be driven to/from Rio and also would love to get some games in the Fortaleza/Natal/Reciffe area as it would open up the possibility of taken in games at these cities which are pretty close on the days Socceroos don't play

plague
04-12-2013, 08:41 PM
On another note I am more interested in where we play.

Don't want games in Rio as it will cost more in accommodation and I am going there anyways. Don't want the opening game V Brazil as tickets harder to get and also about $300 dearer, Don't particularly want some back and forth travel plan the equivalent of Sydney>> Perth>>Wellington>>Darwin etc and hopefully get the next games reasonable close to the last cities

Would ideally like our last/first games in Belo Horizante/Sao Paulo as it will cut out the expense of a overpriced flight as these can be driven to/from Rio and also would love to get some games in the Fortaleza/Natal/Reciffe area as it would open up the possibility of taken in games at these cities which are pretty close on the days Socceroos don't play

You realise that for a fee Sepp will give you exactly what you want.

belchardo
04-12-2013, 09:00 PM

To be fair, it is a BIG fee

MFKS
04-12-2013, 09:16 PM

With what ??

You do realise that this bloke and his piss poor administration have bled myself dry and will continue to bleed everyone dry who is going??

The set up of the groups is a joke when he has you flying 3-4 hours between host cities cause you can't bus/drive due to distance and what makes it even more of a farce is the routes are not really being covered with an increased number of flights. Would have made more sense to have teams based in little corners of Brazil but not these dumb ****s.

When the bloke retires HSG should give him a job as he would fit in well at Newy

Add into the fact most of the cities are poorly equipped to handle the tens of thousands of tourists it makes you wonder how they got the WC. Other than the fact no one bid :lol:

For instance Rio De Janiero has accommodation Hotels/B&b's etc for 40k. Where the rest of them will be sleeping come WC Final time is beyond me (Maracana seats 76k and I am sure there will be a few tourists in Rio without tickets) . God help them when the Olympics are on in 2 years time there and that whole shebang is all in the one city. will be a cluster**** of epic proportions

goaliepersempre
04-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Switzerland a high world ranking, very strong qualification... Why shouldn't they be.....

plague
04-12-2013, 10:32 PM
With what ??

You do realise that this bloke and his piss poor administration have bled myself dry and will continue to bleed everyone dry who is going??

The set up of the groups is a joke when he has you flying 3-4 hours between host cities cause you can't bus/drive due to distance and what makes it even more of a farce is the routes are not really being covered with an increased number of flights. Would have made more sense to have teams based in little corners of Brazil but not these dumb ****s.

When the bloke retires HSG should give him a job as he would fit in well at Newy

Add into the fact most of the cities are poorly equipped to handle the tens of thousands of tourists it makes you wonder how they got the WC. Other than the fact no one bid :lol:

For instance Rio De Janiero has accommodation Hotels/B&b's etc for 40k. Where the rest of them will be sleeping come WC Final time is beyond me (Maracana seats 76k and I am sure there will be a few tourists in Rio without tickets) . God help them when the Olympics are on in 2 years time there and that whole shebang is all in the one city. will be a cluster**** of epic proportions

is this a bad time to tell you about my trip to Germany for WC 2006? Expertly organised, easy travel, beautiful hotels in each host city and even the organiser getting us tickets to the Italy game while I nursed the mother****er of all hangovers after the Croatia match?
ok i wont bring it up.

plague
04-12-2013, 10:43 PM
serious though, geez they bang on a right bit about the ****ing ball dont they?
worst part about any World Cup IMO.
how much 'rounderer' can they get the flipping thing?

parksey
04-12-2013, 11:23 PM
Switzerland a high world ranking, very strong qualification... Why shouldn't they be.....

You really think they deserve to be ranked above Italy and holland, just to name a few?

MFKS
04-12-2013, 11:45 PM
is this a bad time to tell you about my trip to Germany for WC 2006? Expertly organised, easy travel, beautiful hotels in each host city and even the organiser getting us tickets to the Italy game while I nursed the mother****er of all hangovers after the Croatia match?
ok i wont bring it up.

:roflz:

A World Cup in a well organised country in Europe like Germany would be pretty easy to deal with. Hell even the next one in Russia looks like a walk in the park compared to this. Russia you should be able to base yourself somewhere in the thick of it where you will have 6-8 of the 11 cities easy to get to on game day. Flights to Russia you will be able to get for 2k max where as Brazil you are doing well to get there for 3k

Other thing in Russia is they have trains for cheap travel which the Brazilians don't. One downside to Russia will be tickets will be a dogs breakfast with most of Europe going

This WC will probably the hardest ever logistics to actually deal with for the fans. Add in these ****ers from FIFA ****ing things up for most of the everyday fans trying to exploit them at every ****ing turn

boz-monaut
07-12-2013, 03:07 AM
all this dancing and drumming and flashing circles and fat drag queens

just do the draw farken

boz-monaut
07-12-2013, 03:08 AM
probably the most hated female impersonator on the planet right now

Emicida looks like a cock

boz-monaut
07-12-2013, 03:09 AM
this is not deciding the groups, this is pissing me off

boz-monaut
07-12-2013, 03:11 AM
oh great, I was wondering how Sepp was feeling....

boz-monaut
07-12-2013, 03:12 AM
that wasn't a minute those disrespectful ****s

boz-monaut
07-12-2013, 03:20 AM
I doubt many people around the world are tuning in to this for a history lesson

draw the balls farken so I can go back to bed

boz-monaut
07-12-2013, 03:27 AM
do people tune in to X Factor and have to put up with douchbags drawing balls from a pot?

why do you do this to me FIFA?

evolution
07-12-2013, 03:39 AM
So far 40 minutes of bullshit singing and dancing. Draw some ****ing balls already!

boz-monaut
07-12-2013, 03:41 AM
this is some great dancing - this is what the football world really wanted to see

this is why we all tuned in at this ridiculous hour of the ****ing morning

evolution
07-12-2013, 03:43 AM
What did I just watch?

boz-monaut
07-12-2013, 03:43 AM
here's Pele to sell us more of his cock pills

boz-monaut
07-12-2013, 03:48 AM
how about a round of applause for the chick in gold's boobs?

evolution
07-12-2013, 03:52 AM
Yeah they are a thing of beauty

boz-monaut
07-12-2013, 04:00 AM
this whole Pot X thing isn't as complicated as they make out

boz-monaut
07-12-2013, 04:05 AM
$10 says we get the Uruguay and Italy group

boz-monaut
07-12-2013, 04:07 AM
****, Spain and Chile

evolution
07-12-2013, 04:09 AM
Portugal or England would be amazing to round it off...

boz-monaut
07-12-2013, 04:13 AM
Spain
Netherlands
Chile
Australia

could not have picked a worse group for us

evolution
07-12-2013, 04:14 AM
Well, we're gonna get raped but I'm gonna get some awesome teams play. And also we don't have to go all the way up to Manaus. Pretty happy!

baldrick
07-12-2013, 07:08 AM
Fark

GazFish35
07-12-2013, 07:31 AM
That's a great draw.
We now have zero expectations of getting out of the group.
Zero expectations means ange can do what he wants to get us prepared for the Asian cup.

joel31
07-12-2013, 08:10 AM
So will Ange be sacked if we lose the next 3 games 6-0

GazFish35
07-12-2013, 08:12 AM
Not if we win. I doubt that any coach would be sacked for winning 6-0.

joel31
07-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Not if we win. I doubt that any coach would be sacked for winning 6-0.
wow that was a terrible typo from me

joel31
07-12-2013, 08:49 AM
I actually couldn't give two ****s who we get.

A soft draw and good results will only paper over the cracks of the Socceroos issues.

Much rather we got a shit draw put up some noble performances before succumbing to the likes of Spain Argies Porkos Italy Etc. Either that or get arse raped on the world stage so we can have a good solid look at what isn't right with the game in this country to move us forward long term

you just got your wish

lquiquer
07-12-2013, 09:56 AM
I think it's a good draw for us

1. Winners and runners up at previous world cup not necessary means a good performance at following world cup: France 2002, 2010 / Italy 2010 / Holland 1982
2. Holland lost their 3 group games at Euro 2012
3. Spain's good run 2008, 2010, 2012 will come to an end sooner than later

However our first game v Chile is a must win game

joel31
07-12-2013, 10:26 AM
and I guess they might underestimate us as well

MFKS
07-12-2013, 10:51 AM
you just got your wish

Depends how you view it.

We need to put up the noble performances yet!!

As for the arse raping that may or may not transpire due to the calibre of opponent it looks highly likely. This may not necessarily be a good thing if we were to get arse raped by this lot as it may be brushed over by the "well we were up against 3 quality opponents blah blah blah" argument and the underlying issues may be avoided.

As for our venues well I ain't unhappy as we missed the opening game and didn't get a game in Rio to keep costs down and the distance travelling ain't the worst.

Not the cities I wanted to go to as Curtiba Cubaia don't seem to be that interesting places from what I have seen. Porto Alegre should be cool as it is the southern most city involved and we missed the heat which may have been useful taking on the Euro sides.

Probably disappointed that all though we are gonna see some top drawer players we ain't getting to see a TOP DRAWER superstar with a huge profile in the flesh such as CR7 Messi Neymar etc

lquiquer
07-12-2013, 11:01 AM
I like our group....we will all Tiki-Taka togheter

joel31
07-12-2013, 11:05 AM
I like our group....we will all Tiki-Taka togheter
Except our tiki taka will be one pass-two pass-lose ball

bigdan
07-12-2013, 12:00 PM
We're boned. Unless Spain or Holland have a shocker. Chile we're a decent chance of winning against. 2nd at best, 3rd's probably on the money.

joel31
07-12-2013, 12:08 PM
We're boned. Unless Spain or Holland have a shocker. Chile we're a decent chance of winning against. 2nd at best, 3rd's probably on the money.
Chile beat England and are a good side, we'd be doing well to beat them

parksey
07-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Wish I could have seen ange's face when the draw was finished.

weston
07-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Only game i can watch is Aussie v Chile.... could be a good thing i suppose.

plague
07-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Probably disappointed that all though we are gonna see some top drawer players we ain't getting to see a TOP DRAWER superstar with a huge profile in the flesh such as CR7 Messi Neymar etc

WOT?

such a shame you'll be stuck watching semi-pro's like Sanchez, Iniesta, Xavi, RVP, etc etc etc.
Mate you have no idea what you are in for seeing big stars like that going full tilt for their country (or if you are lucky to watch them for their clubs etc).
Still probably the best thing ive ever seen live was watching Zambrotta and Cannavaro vs the Aussies back in '06. An absolute masterclass.

The Dunster
07-12-2013, 04:56 PM
I'd rather be in a group where we are expected to lose than in one we are expected to be successful in. Moreover, there's always a team or two that don't live up to expectations. Let's hope it's the Netherlands or Spain.

MFKS
07-12-2013, 05:20 PM
WOT?

such a shame you'll be stuck watching semi-pro's like Sanchez, Iniesta, Xavi, RVP, etc etc etc.
Mate you have no idea what you are in for seeing big stars like that going full tilt for their country (or if you are lucky to watch them for their clubs etc).
Still probably the best thing ive ever seen live was watching Zambrotta and Cannavaro vs the Aussies back in '06. An absolute masterclass.

Did you miss the bit about top drawer players with a huge profile?? Those blokes you mention may be top drawer players (though I think that RVP bloke is a bit over rated) but they don't have the jaw dropping profiles CR7 Messi Neymar etc do :sigh:

I will appreciate the likes of Xavi/Iniesta etc with my love of all things Tikka Takka but it would have been good to get one of the real rockstar superstars of the game

plague
07-12-2013, 06:12 PM
but they don't have the jaw dropping profiles CR7 Messi Bradbury Neymar etc do :sigh:

Fair point.

goaliepersempre
07-12-2013, 07:46 PM
You really think they deserve to be ranked above Italy and holland, just to name a few?

yes

parksey
08-12-2013, 09:17 PM
yes

well i guess that wouldn't have anything to do with being swiss

goaliepersempre
09-12-2013, 02:10 AM
well i guess that wouldn't have anything to do with being swiss

Not at all :lulz:

Win against full strength Brazil side ain't bad.

De-Champ
09-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Not at all :lulz:

Win against full strength Brazil side ain't bad.

Don't judge teams in friendlies.....

MFKS
09-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Don't judge teams in friendlies.....

So you think getting beaten 6-0 by Brazil and then 6-0 by France are acceptable because they are friendlies and not a reflection of issues with the Socceroos and their diminishing reputation???

MFKS
09-12-2013, 08:43 PM
http://soccerly.com/article/leigh/video-questions-fifas-credibility-over-draw

Was the draw rigged??:wacko:

joel31
10-12-2013, 04:25 AM
I've seen similar conspiracies in the Champions League

De-Champ
10-12-2013, 09:12 AM
So you think getting beaten 6-0 by Brazil and then 6-0 by France are acceptable because they are friendlies and not a reflection of issues with the Socceroos and their diminishing reputation???

Gee whiz.... what can I say..... I don't know where to start, suffice to say I was talking about Switzerland and Brazil, I do no know how you read Australia into that.

plague
10-12-2013, 05:22 PM

Not a real conspiracy til Alex Jones says it is.

hawk
13-12-2013, 12:15 AM
whole cup is a bungs and bribes-athon. Fifa fair lol. Brazil just about cant lose. still will be an interest to see how it plays out.

carn swiz

seldom
13-12-2013, 01:12 AM
I'd rather be in a group where we are expected to lose than in one we are expected to be successful in. Moreover, there's always a team or two that don't live up to expectations. Let's hope it's the Netherlands or Spain.

What group were we expected to be successful in ?

belchardo
19-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Independent statistical confirmation we have the worst draw in the world cup

http://www.theguardian.com/football/interactive/2013/dec/18/world-cup-2014-draw-strength-of-schedule (http://www.theguardian.com/football/interactive/2013/dec/18/world-cup-2014-draw-strength-of-schedule)

pv4
19-12-2013, 09:04 AM
I've seen similar conspiracies in the Champions League

I still stand by my opinion that Manure basically always get the best post-group draw in the Champos (and usually the best group draw)

Cue Manure fans showing my individual instances of this not happening, but it's my conspiracy theory & I'll do what I want with it.

pv4
19-12-2013, 09:04 AM

I'm sold

parksey
19-12-2013, 02:04 PM
I still stand by my opinion that Manure basically always get the best post-group draw in the Champos (and usually the best group draw)

Cue Manure fans showing my individual instances of this not happening, but it's my conspiracy theory & I'll do what I want with it.

still gotta beat the big guns at some point, pal. #3finalsinthelast5years