PDA

View Full Version : You are the ref.

GazFish35
29-12-2013, 07:51 PM
We all bitch about the standard of refereeing.... Let's test ourselves.

Stolen from guardian, they do one a week, answers posted up a few days after the questions are posed.
By all means go to their website and join in the discussions, but I thought it might be interesting to see what some of our resident experts think.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/columnists/2013/12/27/1388166965826/You-are-the-Ref-szczesny-001.jpg?guni=Article:in%20body%20link

I'm saying blow the whistle for half time, handball, and goal.

Zico
29-12-2013, 08:10 PM
I also go for - blow the whistle for half time, handball, and goal.

pistolpete
29-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Agree. The last one is a harsh call but the right one

baldrick
29-12-2013, 08:29 PM
1- wait until floodlights are fixed, then finish first half

2- handball (but wouldn't be surprised if its a goal)

3 - goal

Thomas477
29-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Love this article.

1 - Blow for half time but made sure the second half is of equal length. Can't have one half 42mins and the other 45mins

2 - Not sure if a handball as used you see players hitting the ball it with their chest/shoulder. Given where it is, I'll say it's no goal and a free kick for unsporting behaviour due to the ball not being playable (same thing as if the player is on the ground)

3 - goal, poor bastard.

plague
29-12-2013, 08:47 PM
1. Whatever is in Manchester Uniteds best interests.
2. Whatever is in Manchester Uniteds best interests.
3. Whatever is in Manchester Uniteds best interests.

hawk
29-12-2013, 08:53 PM
1. Whatever is in Manchester Uniteds best interests.
2. Whatever is in Manchester Uniteds best interests.
3. Whatever is in Manchester Uniteds best interests.

this

MFKS
29-12-2013, 09:00 PM
We all bitch about the standard of refereeing.... Let's test ourselves.

Stolen from guardian, they do one a week, answers posted up a few days after the questions are posed.
By all means go to their website and join in the discussions, but I thought it might be interesting to see what some of our resident experts think.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/columnists/2013/12/27/1388166965826/You-are-the-Ref-szczesny-001.jpg?guni=Article:in%20body%20link

I'm saying blow the whistle for half time, handball, and goal.

I wonder what answers ADP will come up with :whistling:

weston
29-12-2013, 09:04 PM
1) I would say wait and finish half when lights come on. (Though if you were to call half time at that point, Thomas477 I dare say would be right in shortening the second half to the same amount of time as the first).

2) No goal, not sure how you can call it hand ball, though it is cheating. (Though personal opinion is that is some f'wit does it in the game, than kicks to the ball (head) would be perfectly acceptable).

3) Goal.

Premy
29-12-2013, 09:23 PM
1- wait till 45 minutes has gone add on the +3 minutes stopped on to the added time(say +1min normal added) +4mins added time. Keep the clock running until lights come on 53+mins mark, play until the 57+mins for the 4 mins added then call half time.

2-Goal any defender worth there salt would head it from the wingers shoulder. Although its against the ethics of the game its still within the rules.

3 - Plain and simple GOAL

WolfMan
30-12-2013, 11:30 AM
1) Wait for lights to be fixed. Play remaining time of 1st Half.
2) Goal, upwards of the elbow or thereabouts isn't handball (I think?). Mind you, he'd be doing well if a defender didn't simply give him a legal shoulder to knock him off balance.
3) Goal, unfortunate incident but still a goal.

BodyNovo
30-12-2013, 11:56 AM
1. i believe this happened with united a couple of years ago at fulham and they just restarted the match once the lights came on.
2. goal (some skill though, and terrible defending)
3. tough luck goal.

GazFish35
30-12-2013, 12:32 PM
I don't reckon 2 can ever be deemed a goal. He's controlling the ball in manner that makes impossible to tackle him without risking injury to himself or others, therefore unsporting conduct.

It's like lying on the ball, or a keeper putting it up his shirt and running the length of the field. (Which would be funny)

GazFish35
30-12-2013, 12:33 PM
I wonder what answers ADP will come up with :whistling:

1. Whatever suits ADP.
2. See answer 1.
3. See answer 2, if not sure, see answer 1.

boz-monaut
30-12-2013, 12:55 PM
the main issue with holding the ball on your shoulder with your jaw and running is that it's physically impossible

if he were to balance the ball on his shoulder and run then dude should join the circus

Thomas477
30-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Here's the official answers:

Keith Hackett's verdict

1) The stadium manager's idea might sound sensible – an early break, and adding an extra three minutes to the second-half – but you cannot make up policy on the hoof. There are clear guidelines for this because you have a responsibility to the competition to make sure the right amount of time is played in the right format. So take the teams off, wait for the backup generators to kick in, then return and play the remaining three minutes, before blowing for a normal half-time break. Report what happened to the authorities.

2) Clever, but no goal. Caution the player for unsporting behaviour – there is no way an opponent could legally challenge for the ball. Restart with an indirect free-kick at the point where he first managed to balance the ball.

3) Base your decision on the expert medical advice: do not award the goal. Play effectively stopped the moment the keeper had the seizure – a serious medical incident. Make sure the keeper is replaced (the game cannot resume without a player in goal) and restart with a dropped ball – on the six-yard line if he was inside the six-yard box when he collapsed. I would hope the opposition side would not contest the dropped ball.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/27/you-are-the-ref-paul-trevillion

MFKS
30-12-2013, 04:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYlqql38XkY

So this is legal???

weston
30-12-2013, 04:53 PM
So this is legal???

I would say yes. The problem with the ball being stuck in between the chin and shoulder is that you have trapped the ball where others can't play it.

militiamon
30-12-2013, 05:06 PM
"You are the ref"
Oh really?

*touches breasts*

GazFish35
30-12-2013, 05:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYlqql38XkY

So this is legal???

His dribble? Or da kik in da chest!

joel31
03-01-2014, 06:23 PM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/columnists/2014/1/2/1388688697411/Arjen-Robben-You-are-the--001.jpg

I'd say play on, no goal, book all players

furns
03-01-2014, 07:01 PM
1. tough shit - no goal
2. no goal - its an interfering object entering the field of play (like that effing beachball at Sunderland away a few seasons ago)
3. all players booked - massive lols ensue

GazFish35
03-01-2014, 07:37 PM
1. Stiff shit. No goal. If he didn't like the divot, he shouldn't have taken the kick. Call him Harry Kewell and wave okay on.
2. Stiff shit. Its on the cross bar, not on the field. I've heard ante was scared of jetsman and that's why he rally left all those years ago. Get on the game...... One year when I was playing Westy we played away at lakes and no bugger wanted to take corner as there was a pluver nesting on top of the hill and was swooping corner takers. Ref didn't care. Play on!
3. Get your kit off with them..... Or book em all.

Zico
03-01-2014, 08:09 PM
1. tough shit - no goal
2. no goal - its an interfering object entering the field of play (like that effing beachball at Sunderland away a few seasons ago)
3. all players booked - massive lols ensue
i'm with you on these decisions.

baldrick
03-01-2014, 08:40 PM
1- no goal. And the referee should caution himself for making illegal marking on the field of play

2- no goal, the eagle us an outside object interfering with play (like a flare on the field)

3 - only book the goal scorer

GazFish35
21-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Keith Hackett's verdict

1) If he was unhappy with the position of the ball, he should have asked to adjust it before taking the kick. He has no right to complain now. My advice to officials in these situations is always to let the player take the appropriate action to keep the ball still, to avoid such accusations. Thanks to Steven Jackson.
2) No goal. Really the goalkeeper should have been a bit braver and stood his ground, but either way this counts as interference from an outside agent. Disallow the goal and restart with a dropped ball on the goal area line that is parallel to the goal line at a point nearest to where the ball entered the goal. Make sure the eagle is coaxed to safety, and report the facts after the game. Thanks to Terence Davidson.
3) The Law is quite clear on this: "A player must be cautioned if he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt". Players know they will pick up a yellow card for celebrating in this way, but they still carry on doing it – clubs just do not seem to take sufficient action against players who might be suspended for a game after picking up five yellows. So what do you do here? Caution all of them: 11 yellow cards. The club will be fined for exceeding five cautions in one game, which will hopefully inspire them to take some proper disciplinary action. Toby Wood wins the shirt.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/02/you-are-the-ref-paul-trevillion

GazFish35
21-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Next....

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/columnists/2014/1/16/1389877162422/You-are-the-Ref-Gus-Poyet-001.jpg

pv4
21-01-2014, 08:52 AM
1. Penalty. The action to use the shoulder makes the arm move into an unnatural position, which is handball.
2. Yes. If a keeper is injured and requires treatment, the game does not restart until the keeper is ready. The moment the red card is given, play has stopped, and the injured outfielder has now become the keeper - so play won't restart till he's ready. Injury time will be added to make up for the "lost" time.
3. It's not against the rules to spit anywhere except directly at another player. This is probably a judgement call by the ref - if he thinks he can quickly change out the ball with minimum fuss/delay, he might choose to do so.

WolfMan
21-01-2014, 08:58 AM
1. Penalty. Shoulder strike isn't the issue, intentional or not it's still handling the ball.

2. Allow the injured defender to take his place as GK post-treatment. Obviously only if the treatment is superficial and not stitches etc.

3. Verbal warning for ungentlemanly conduct, swap the ball out and continue play