PDA

View Full Version : Daily Australian News Thread 2014

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

plague
14-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Interestingly they paid less per share than what was offered to the public.
The cost of doing business with one consortium versus a whole bunch of Mong fans would more than be worth it.

q-money
14-11-2014, 05:53 PM
lol

WolfMan
14-11-2014, 07:00 PM
If done properly I'd buy in with as much as I could afford

joel31
16-11-2014, 01:34 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/could-adelaide-lose-josep-gombau-guillermo-amor-to-jleague-club-yokohama-marinos/story-e6frf4gl-1227124590302

Jeterpool
17-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Middleby pleads for supporters to forgive team

JETS chief executive Robbie Middleby hopes fans will give Newcastle’s players and coach Phil Stubbins a chance to redeem themselves but admits that ‘‘actions speak louder than words’’.

Friday night’s 4-0 trouncing from Brisbane at Hunter Stadium, which left the Jets without a win after six games, has prompted a predictably hostile reaction from frustrated followers, many of whom have labelled it the worst performance in the club’s history.

Middleby said fans were entitled to their opinions and everyone at the club was ‘‘apologetic’’ for producing such a lacklustre effort on home turf. But he called on the Novocastrian faithful to ‘‘stick by us’’ and was confident of a vastly improved performance against Western Sydney Wanderers at Parramatta Stadium on Saturday.

‘‘I know it’s been tough so far, but we need their support,’’ Middleby told the Newcastle Herald.

‘‘We need the support from everyone. The players, the staff, we’re all hurting, because we feel like we let everyone down on Friday night.

‘‘But we need their support if we’re going to thrive.’’

Brisbane coach Mike Mulvey expressed similar sentiments at the post-match press conference on Friday when he was asked about Newcastle fans booing their team off the pitch.

‘‘We’ve played four games and we’ve lost three at home, but our fans have been more patient,’’ Mulvey said.

‘‘That comes from having a level of success over the years, which Newcastle hasn’t enjoyed.

‘‘It’s time now for them to back their players, back their manager. That’s the only way you can achieve anything in this game, if everybody sticks together,’’ Mulvey said.

Middleby was disappointed that Stubbins, who is six games into a two-year tenure, was already attracting scrutiny over his future.

‘‘It’s early in the season,’’ Middleby said.

‘‘We’ve got faith in Phil and the players that that performance will not be a regular thing.

‘‘To me, I don’t see why we should be commenting on job security ... it’s six games into the season.

‘‘We’ve had a tough run but Phil’s our coach.

‘‘He’s got a new team, a lot of players who have been in and out, but Phil is our coach.

‘‘And we’ve got faith that Phil and the players will turn this around. All of us, collectively.’’

Middleby said Saturday’s clash with Asian champions Western Sydney, who occupy the bottom rung on the A-League ladder but have two games in hand on second-last Newcastle, would be ‘‘another very, very tough game’’ but he backed the Jets to show their true colours.

‘‘We need to come out and make amends with our performance,’’ he said. ‘‘Actions speak louder than words.

‘‘But I’m confident that there are certain types of characters in the club who will respond the right way to this.

‘‘That’s why I’m certain the performance will be better this week.’’

A shellshocked Stubbins said he had to ‘‘take responsibility’’ for the performance, admitting he was ‘‘embarrassed’’ by the home crowd’s reaction.

‘‘All I can say to the fans is we’ll be doing everything we can to make amends,’’ Stubbins said. ‘‘The quality is one thing. Effort, endeavour and approach and your mindset and mentality is another ... we need to set some standards in place that are akin to a team that does have a crack.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2700725/middleby-pleads-for-supporters-to-forgive-team/?cs=306

For those calling for a response from Robbie, see today's Herald.

And am I reading the section italicized correctly? Is he embarrassed because of the reaction the crowd gave the players, or is he embarrassed because the team performance resulted in said reaction? Granted, it's a quoted section in a news article - clearly could have been taken out of context.

Jeterpool
17-11-2014, 09:20 AM
COMMENT: Fans have suffered enough – it’s time for FFA to stop the Tinkler rot

THE presence of FFA chief executive David Gallop at Hunter Stadium on Friday night was perhaps the only positive to emerge, from a Novocastrian point of view.

Hopefully the chorus of boos at full-time, after the Jets were embarrassed 4-0 by Brisbane Roar, did not go unnoticed by Gallop or his colleagues in the corridors of power.

FFA would be unwise to assume the frustration vented by a section of the 10,216-strong crowd was purely a reaction to a dismal on-field performance.

This sense of disillusionment has been snowballing at an exponential rate.

In four years under the ownership of Nathan Tinkler, the Jets are yet to feature in the finals.

In that time, more than 40 players have come and gone – not including those on this season’s roster – and four coaches have occupied the hot seat before the appointment of Phil Stubbins.

Friday’s performance left many long-time supporters convinced it was Newcastle’s worst since the A-League kicked off 10 years ago, and the fear is the Jets may not yet have hit rock bottom.

Judging by their form over the first six weeks of the season, it will require a mighty revival to avoid the wooden spoon, let alone qualify for the playoffs.

To lay the blame solely on the players and Stubbins would be unfair. No club reaches this level of sustained dysfunctionality without deep, ingrained problems – issues that can only be resolved once Tinkler has relinquished control and moved on.

That is why Gallop needs to rethink his comments during an interview with the Newcastle Herald last week, in which he insisted: ‘‘It’s not in our plans to own the Jets or any other A-League team ... we don’t want to own A-League clubs, full-stop.’’

FFA officials seem content to bide their time after Tinkler’s decision in August to place the Jets on the market.

But there would appear to be two compelling reasons for the governing body to be pro-active and step in to rescue the struggling club.

Firstly, Tinkler has not been inundated with offers to buy him out, and every week this saga drags on delays the process of moving forward.

The Newcastle Knights, in contrast, are already well advanced in rebuilding the club and reconnecting with the community after the NRL ousted Tinkler in June.

They have appointed a new board of directors and are understood to be close to securing a major sponsor.

Soon the tumultuous Tinkler era will be a fading memory for Knights fans.

The quickest way the Jets can get to a similar position is for FFA to make the struggling tycoon an offer and then on-sell the franchise. If that means funding the club’s operations on an interim basis, as the NRL is doing with the Knights, so be it.

Eventually, you would assume, such an investment will prove money well spent.

The other reason for the FFA to buy Tinkler out is that quite simply they owe him a favour.

When former owner Con Constantine experienced financial difficulties late in 2010, FFA approached Tinkler on spec and, despite having no real interest in the round-ball code, he agreed to take over.

He has since spent millions on the Jets, albeit apparently begrudgingly since his unsuccessful attempt to relinquish the licence in 2012.

Tinkler may have been a problematic type and it is unlikely there is much affection for him or his former right-hand man, Troy Palmer, behind the scenes at FFA.

It can’t have been much fun doing business with either of them.

But fair’s fair, FFA. Quid pro quo.

Repay Tinkler his pound of flesh, even if that is merely helping him settle whatever liabilities the Jets may have racked up, and allow him to move on.

While this waiting game continues, it is hard to see any winners.

The greatest asset the Jets have is their long-suffering supporters. That they still have about 9000 members (10per cent fewer than last year) is nothing short of remarkable.

But after every performance like the loss to Brisbane, those fans are entitled to query why they bother. FFA needs to act before the boos Gallop heard on Friday night fade into total indifference.

One of the few times I've agreed with Dillon - http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2700772/comment-its-time-for-ffa-to-stop-the-tinkler-rot/?cs=306

belchardo
17-11-2014, 09:26 AM
but he backed the Jets to show their true colours

white?

Thomas477
17-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Middleby can get ****ed. 4 years of underperforming with him as CEO. Enough.

lquiquer
17-11-2014, 10:26 AM
Middleby can get ****ed. 4 years of underperforming with him as CEO. Enough.

Well said

pv4
17-11-2014, 10:48 AM
I don't quite understand how "now is the time to rally behind the club" and all that. We've heard that for the last 6 years, particularly the last 4 since hsg came in.

I haven't had doubts about stubbins until friday night. Jaliens at right back, being a goal down and bringing on a defender at centre mid, looking to virgili for answers when we were down, and leaving Flores with no game time. His coaching reaked of him being scared and out of his depth imo.

Macca
17-11-2014, 11:14 AM
And am I reading the section italicized correctly? Is he embarrassed because of the reaction the crowd gave the players, or is he embarrassed because the team performance resulted in said reaction? Granted, it's a quoted section in a news article - clearly could have been taken out of context.

From memory he did say something along those words, but in the context of what he was saying in general it was more of the latter option. I think I recall him saying something like, it was disappointing for the fans to have that reaction but after the performance they had every right to do that, and that he was embarrassed as he's never had to sit through a performance like that.

In the press conference he also got asked why he didn't bring Flores on and I believe his reasoning was, in going to the 4-4-2, he thought the midfielder coming on needed to be doing a lot more work and running so he opted for Welsh over Flores for that.

Another thing he touched on a couple of times was that he was a lot more concerned with the attitude and effort rather than the skills aspect of the performance, sounds like he's trying to play the old underdog, "our squad has less quality than everyone else's" card. Am I alone in thinking that our player list doesn't actually look that bad? Before the season and even after a couple games I was thinking once everyone is actually right to play we should be looking decent. Attending my first game on Friday made me doubt my resolve a little though lol.

lquiquer
17-11-2014, 11:21 AM
I don't quite understand how "now is the time to rally behind the club" and all that. We've heard that for the last 6 years, particularly the last 4 since hsg came in.

I haven't had doubts about stubbins until friday night. Jaliens at right back, being a goal down and bringing on a defender at centre mid, looking to virgili for answers when we were down, and leaving Flores with no game time. His coaching reaked of him being scared and out of his depth imo.

U r very right PV4......and I f u haven't done so yet, I invite all members to twit @NewcastleJetsFC and @Newcastleherald how we feel about the current situation

hausmann
17-11-2014, 12:24 PM
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2700725/middleby-pleads-for-supporters-to-forgive-team/?cs=306

For those calling for a response from Robbie, see today's Herald.

You call that a response? That's not a response.

There is no indication that he has any idea what is causing the current problems or has any idea what to do about it, other than plea with fans to continue to support the club. It's embarrassing.

hawk
17-11-2014, 12:42 PM

Me neither. The fans have always shown up despite the incessent results served up. Of course we will rally behind the club because when we secede from NSW* we'll give this comp a real shake. However, lets not take away the right for the fans to give club management a kick up the backside when they are deserving of it without having to question our loyalty to the club.

As far as the coach, he is in struggleetown entering sh*tsville.

*pipedream

Jeterpool
17-11-2014, 01:18 PM
You call that a response? That's not a response.

There is no indication that he has any idea what is causing the current problems or has any idea what to do about it, other than plea with fans to continue to support the club. It's embarrassing.

I didn't say it was a good response, the right response or a wrong response. But we heard from him. More so a statement of fact than quality.

plague
17-11-2014, 02:16 PM
"our squad has less quality than everyone else's" card. Am I alone in thinking that our player list doesn't actually look that bad?.

Probably.
Our squad is rubbish.
Our big name signings are blokes that none of the good teams wanted and the sheer amount of other players who wouldn't touch us with a barge pole meant we had to coax a bloke out of retirement to come back (who wasn't very good anyway) yet he still legitimately had to give it great thought whether to run a ****ing B'nB in Bum**** Idaho versus playing profession football for a living.
Our big O/S signing didn't last 2 games (top recruiting that) and these so called 'locals who take pride in the shirt' etc etc etc are either treated like garbage ('sup Jobe?) run out of town ('sup Tarek?) or never given the chance to show what they can be ('sup Kale?).
Our club is a shambles run by a bunch of mongs.
Get the **** out the lot of them.

This wouldn't have happened on Remos watch.

Edit: Kew has been a great signing, but yeah let's put him at right back.

Your honour, I rest my case.

The Dunster
17-11-2014, 02:26 PM
You wouild need to draw a very long bow to compare the Roars start to the season with ours. The Roar have delivered several championships and have been one of the strongest clubs in the history of the league.

Jets fans weren't just booing Friday nights performance. Jets fans were booing a club that has been in decline since the third season of the league. Year after year we are promised this and that, and yet the reality is the results are getting worse not better.

At the end of last season I said I would watch the pre-season games and make a decision about membership. What I saw I didn't like and as such I did not renew our season tickets.

It's at the stage now where I actually want to see the Wanderers win by four or more goals against the Jets so as to put the notion of poor management and coaching staff at the club beyond doubt.

Thomas477
17-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Exactly! The best thing for the club long term is that we get the spoon this year, so Middleby can **** right off back South of Morrisset, Stubbins can **** off back to Thailand, half the squad can **** right off as well, and we rebuild, hopefully learning from the mistakes of the past.

Pico
17-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Forever 7th, doesn’t seem quite so bad any more. Terminally 10th has a nice ring to it though.

What’s the bet that if Steele and the club part ways any savings will be put aside for sacking Stubbins and replacing him with the dream team of Claka and Bridgey again, nah management will probably pay Steele out to leave, carry on.

belchardo
17-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Terminally 10th has a nice ring to it though

trenchantly 10th
tenaciously 10th
terribly 10th

MFKS
17-11-2014, 04:40 PM
trenchantly 10th
tenaciously 10th
terribly 10th

trenchantly?? and tenaciously ???

Both have absolutely **** all to do with us cause we are completely opposite to them

MFKS
17-11-2014, 04:52 PM
ON the field and off it, the Wanderers’ journey has been one of the most extraordinary stories in Australian sport.

Two A-League grand final appearances in their first two seasons of existence got people talking, but when the Western Sydney club won the Asian Champions League against Al Hilal, at the first attempt, their brand exploded globally.

And Twitter has the stats to prove it.

In the six weeks since the A-League season kicked off the Wanderers have received an extraordinary 10 million Tweet impressions. That’s higher than any other club in any sport across Australia this entire year, including both the AFL and NRL grand finalists.

What’s more, the club achieved an engagement rate - that includes mentions, favourites, retweets and clicking on a link or photo - of 8.5 per cent over the same period.

To put that figure into context, the Wanderers’ engagement rate was higher than Real Madrid, Manchester United and the San Francisco Giants, who won World Series in the same time period.

Wanderers head of marketing and communications, Mark Jensen, says the club has three main priorities - to engage, to inform and share.

“During the ACL campaign we used a lot of graphics and images that captured the emotion of the tournament from the players and fans perspective, as well as behind-the-scenes content that allowed fans to become closer to the team, especially when we are playing internationally,” he said.

“Communication with our fans and members is hugely important to us, Twitter compliments our digital delivery of information very well but it is also for a bit of fun.

“On game day we try and take the voice of the fan by being in the moment, informative and provocative. Sometimes it is fun to poke the proverbial bear with a stick, you have to know your audience but also know how far you want to take it on. We want a positive experience when engaging with our followers – it follows our club culture – to be for and with the people of Western Sydney.”

Next month the Wanderers will travel to Morocco to take part in the Club World Cup, which will extend their brand to even more corners of the globe.

“When we had a large Saudi following for the ACL final we engaged with them which clocked us some huge numbers as a result,” Jensen said.

“We will do this again for the FIFA Club World Cup against Cruz Azul and Real Madrid, who are monsters on Twitter.”

Interesting the contrast with a club making the effort to sell themselves well to everyone as opposed to our club whose only goal appears to be to sell their fans short

belchardo
17-11-2014, 04:58 PM
trenchantly?? and tenaciously ???

Both have absolutely **** all to do with us cause we are completely opposite to them

treat them as ironic/sarcastic then.

GazFish35
17-11-2014, 05:09 PM

true.

its a bit of a cop out to put it on us as fans.... "we need you now"

we are there, 11000 at the victree game despite no wins in four, 10000 the next week, we'll lose to wsw and still get 7-8K - no-one at the club has any right to claim newcastle fans arent loyal
**** me, our crowd on friday night was larger than Adelaide's

q-money
17-11-2014, 05:15 PM
it's time to let the mick-dawg onto stubbins imo

MFKS
17-11-2014, 06:07 PM
true.

its aboit of a cop out to put it on us as fans.... "we need you now"

we are there, 11000 at he victree game despite no wins in four, 10000 the next week, we'll lose to wsw and still get 7-8K - no-one at the club has any right to claim newcastle fans arent loyal
**** me, our crwod on friday nmight qwas larger than Adelaide's

Isn't the catch cry marketing ploy this year to JOIN THE FIGHT??

Someone needs to get the owner admin manager and players to step up.

The fans have

lquiquer
17-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Isn't the catch cry marketing ploy this year to JOIN THE FIGHT??

Someone needs to get the owner admin manager and players to step up.

The fans have

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MFKS again.

lquiquer
17-11-2014, 06:37 PM
our crwod on friday nmight qwas larger than Adelaide's and Heart

redwah
17-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Maybe it's time for everyone involved in the club to have a good hard look in the mirror and decide what this club is and what it stands for.

As most point out we have been shite for a few years now. Yeah we won a championship years ago and we have made the finals a few times but do we really compete with the big clubs financially. I mean have we ever had a major sponsor with national appeal or international profile? We had an owner who was worth a billion (on paper only I know) and all we got was some 35yr old ex England international who's goal scoring record doesn't set the world on fire. We have had some names here but all at the back end of their careers and usually only for a season.

When and who was the last player from newcastle or the hunter to make it on the world stage? I don't mean guys who came here and played for the jets or breakers form other parts of Australia but actual born and bred novacastrians....Craig Johnston?

I ****ing love this place and I support both the national code teams in the Jets and Knights but honestly both will always struggle to have the financial clout to compete against teams in capital cities. On field performances will almost always reflect the circumstances of the club.

I see some of the players around sometimes, usually the younger home grown ones and they walk around like they are ****ing Barcelona legends or something. Thay have achieved nothing but somehow their egos are through the roof. Maybe if they were made to front up to fans and cop the sprays they might understand a bit more who it is they represent...problem is the club raps them up and protects them so they don't see it all. Maybe a few of them need a game in the newcastle comp so they can get the shit kicked out of them to deflate the egos.

The club will always protect itself....look at the johnny Steele case....something isn't right but rumour and innuendo will be all we get from it.

pv4
17-11-2014, 08:45 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MFKS again.

:rof:

Bremsstrahlung
17-11-2014, 09:13 PM
The longer the rot is allowed to set in and make home, the harder it is to shake.

Years of sub-par performances and no light at the end of the tunnel.

As i write this, FS just showed Stubbins interview snippets. Definitely made some comments alluding to problems with management/"people higher up".

MFKS
17-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Maybe it's time for everyone involved in the club to have a good hard look in the mirror and decide what this club is and what it stands for.

As most point out we have been shite for a few years now. Yeah we won a championship years ago and we have made the finals a few times but do we really compete with the big clubs financially. I mean have we ever had a major sponsor with national appeal or international profile? We had an owner who was worth a billion (on paper only I know) and all we got was some 35yr old ex England international who's goal scoring record doesn't set the world on fire. We have had some names here but all at the back end of their careers and usually only for a season.

When and who was the last player from newcastle or the hunter to make it on the world stage? I don't mean guys who came here and played for the jets or breakers form other parts of Australia but actual born and bred novacastrians....Craig Johnston?

I ****ing love this place and I support both the national code teams in the Jets and Knights but honestly both will always struggle to have the financial clout to compete against teams in capital cities. On field performances will almost always reflect the circumstances of the club.

I see some of the players around sometimes, usually the younger home grown ones and they walk around like they are ****ing Barcelona legends or something. Thay have achieved nothing but somehow their egos are through the roof. Maybe if they were made to front up to fans and cop the sprays they might understand a bit more who it is they represent...problem is the club raps them up and protects them so they don't see it all. Maybe a few of them need a game in the newcastle comp so they can get the shit kicked out of them to deflate the egos.

The club will always protect itself....look at the johnny Steele case....something isn't right but rumour and innuendo will be all we get from it.

Good post.

As for the financial clout.

We are in a salary capped league. Our financial clout really means **** all.

Being well organised disciplined having a great team spirit /club culture and hard work will take you a long way in this comp. Hell one team we won't mention their name are reasonably successful in recent years having this despite constantly losing good players and hemorrhaging money.

We on the other hand have no plan and NFI on much at all.

redwah
18-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Good post.

As for the financial clout.

We are in a salary capped league. Our financial clout really means **** all.

Being well organised disciplined having a great team spirit /club culture and hard work will take you a long way in this comp. Hell one team we won't mention their name are reasonably successful in recent years having this despite constantly losing good players and hemorrhaging money.

We on the other hand have no plan and NFI on much at all.

If you honestly believe that financial clout means nothing then you are more deluded than I thought. Have a look at some of the squads assembled and the players some teams seem to have no problem attracting. We struggle to compete with other clubs despite this being a fantastic place to live.

Yeah I agree with the "club culture" bit and things like sacking your manager at the season launch isnt a great look. Rehiring a manager that shafted the club for another job does not instill confidence in the managments decision making process either. Your said club seems built on continuity and trust.....not much of that when the jets are involved.

Frodo
18-11-2014, 09:20 AM
If you honestly believe that financial clout means nothing then you are more deluded than I thought. Have a look at some of the squads assembled and the players some teams seem to have no problem attracting. We struggle to compete with other clubs despite this being a fantastic place to live.

Yeah I agree with the "club culture" bit and things like sacking your manager at the season launch isnt a great look. Rehiring a manager that shafted the club for another job does not instill confidence in the managments decision making process either. Your said club seems built on continuity and trust.....not much of that when the jets are involved.

MFKS is right on this one. Money doesn't mean much in this league. The salary cap means that any team can be competitive. Those other bags of d#$%s seem to do well every year with measly crowds, no funds and no one from the FFA giving a crap about them.

Also, since when is Newcastle as good a place to live as Melbourne, Brisbane or even Sydney if you're a professional footballer? We know it's great because we live here and know it's secrets but try convincing a Footballer moving to the EPL to go live in Cardiff or London and see where they would prefer to live?

Jeterpool
18-11-2014, 09:42 AM
MFKS is right on this one. Money doesn't mean much in this league. The salary cap means that any team can be competitive. Those other bags of d#$%s seem to do well every year with measly crowds, no funds and no one from the FFA giving a crap about them.

Also, since when is Newcastle as good a place to live as Melbourne, Brisbane or even Sydney if you're a professional footballer? We know it's great because we live here and know it's secrets but try convincing a Footballer moving to the EPL to go live in Cardiff or London and see where they would prefer to live?

I disagree about the money. It does have an impact in this league.

While accepting you have a salary cap, if you pay marquees who fall outside of the cap, you therefore have a greater average spend for the remaining players that fall under the cap.

In addition, you can spend more on attracting a better quality coach and staff, in addition to better paid administrators behind the scenes that can set the club up for success. You can also afford better facilities for your training.

You can have the anomalies like the Gypos who out perform their financial clout, but look at the clubs like Victory and Sydney - well backed, can attract better coaches, better facilities and attracting the bigger names. Yes, they have the lure and appeal of a capital city, but the money doesn't hurt either.

Blackmac79
18-11-2014, 10:30 AM
What financial Clout gets you:

- Ability to pay for higher quality players (Marquee, Junior Marquee, Australian Marquee, +3 U21 players, Max amount of cap)
- Ability to higher a decent ****ing manager
- Ability to have a full staff of coaches, physios, axillary training staff.
- Shorter recovery periods for injuries due to paying for decent treatment
- Ability to decrease the quality of opposition teams by taking best talent.

18-11-2014, 10:46 AM

- Ability to pay for higher quality players (Marquee, Junior Marquee, Australian Marquee, +3 U21 players, Max amount of cap)

Your 5th point is a great one. Look at what Victory have done to deny the Roar a hatful of goals this season.

Frodo
18-11-2014, 11:09 AM

What help would more money do with our board making decisions on who to hire? We had money last season and how much money did we spend on youth development or some new facilities for the physio's and doctors? More money wouldn't help us at all.

We need better players/staff to succeed but we need to be successful in order to attract them here! So, we need to do more with what we've got before we start using money as an excuse. The fact that Victory and Sydney have more money than us isn't the reason they are better than us this year is it? How much good has Sydney's money been for the last couple of seasons? They had a shitty board and all the money they spent didn't win them any trophies... They sorted out their board, hired a good coach with a clear view of what they wanted to do and now they are up the top of the table.

plague
18-11-2014, 11:17 AM

Sydney have more coin than most but are doing better without the most expensive player in A-League history and they signed a coach who lives in a caravan.

We don't need money, we need a ****ing clue.

pv4
18-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Sydney have more coin than most but are doing better without the most expensive player in A-League history and they signed a coach who lives in a caravan.

We don't need money, we need a ****ing clue.

Arnie is on a mil a season. And his coaching staff he brought along are on a dime too.

Believe me, Sydney needed money to get the setup they now have.

De-Champ
18-11-2014, 11:26 AM
What help would more money do with our board making decisions on who to hire? We had money last season and how much money did we spend on youth development or some new facilities for the physio's and doctors? More money wouldn't help us at all.

We need better players/staff to succeed but we need to be successful in order to attract them here! So, we need to do more with what we've got before we start using money as an excuse. The fact that Victory and Sydney have more money than us isn't the reason they are better than us this year is it? How much good has Sydney's money been for the last couple of seasons? They had a shitty board and all the money they spent didn't win them any trophies... They sorted out their board, hired a good coach with a clear view of what they wanted to do and now they are up the top of the table.

Sydney have had the same board for the last few years.

plague
18-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Arnie is on a mil a season. And his coaching staff he brought along are on a dime too.

Believe me, Sydney needed money to get the setup they now have.

Still lives in a caravan and has never won anything.

redwah
18-11-2014, 03:08 PM

Please....money nothing to do with it....you are kidding. Salary cap or not money is everything in professional sport. If you can pay for better quality anything it shows. I'm pretty sure if we could afford a Barcelona youth coach like adelaide we get him over some expat pom who hasnt had much experience in higher levels or systems. We wouldn't have to hire a ground from the uni to train on, we'd have our own training facility. We wouldn't have to worry about crusty demons or monster trucks or Rugby league teams damaging the pitch. Money talks....we have none so we struggle to compete.

And i personally wouldnt go to either....its the red half of Liverpool or nothing.

plague
18-11-2014, 05:30 PM
i personally wouldnt go to either....its the red half of Liverpool or nothing.

You might be surprised to learn that there are lower league games on at Anfield all the time.

MFKS
18-11-2014, 06:10 PM
To those who say money is imperative in this League

Fact is for the last 3-4 years under Tinkler we have had the luxury of a Marquee and have been able to be reasonably well funded and in a lot of regards have been in a better position to prosper than other clubs in big cities. Sure this year costs are being cut but for the last 3-4 years we have had the opportunity to make every post a winner and sign whoever we liked

We have not got anywhere

All the money and opportunity Tinkler provided to us has been frittered away by the incompetence of those in charge of making the decisions.

As we have the lacking components of good admin> well organised >well coached> good culture > never say die attitude etc missing we have achieved what we have.

redwah
18-11-2014, 07:19 PM
To those who say money is imperative in this League

Fact is for the last 3-4 years under Tinkler we have had the luxury of a Marquee and have been able to be reasonably well funded and in a lot of regards have been in a better position to prosper than other clubs in big cities. Sure this year costs are being cut but for the last 3-4 years we have had the opportunity to make every post a winner and sign whoever we liked

We have not got anywhere

All the money and opportunity Tinkler provided to us has been frittered away by the incompetence of those in charge of making the decisions.

As we have the lacking components of good admin> well organised >well coached> good culture > never say die attitude etc missing we have achieved what we have.

Mate if you think Tinkler put in bucket fulls you are kidding yourself....nearly as much as you do about Middleby having any real say in how said cash is spent.

The fact that heskey came here was good though if we could afford better scouting we could get a better marquee, if we could afford more wages we could have a better international marquee and a better Australian marquee thus improving the squad and hopefully the results leading to an improved reputation and better possibilities to sign better quality players....it all flows from money.

MFKS
18-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Mate if you think Tinkler put in bucket fulls you are kidding yourself....nearly as much as you do about Middleby having any real say in how said cash is spent.

The fact that heskey came here was good though if we could afford better scouting we could get a better marquee, if we could afford more wages we could have a better international marquee and a better Australian marquee thus improving the squad and hopefully the results leading to an improved reputation and better possibilities to sign better quality players....it all flows from money.

There was nothing wrong with the level of funds provided for a Marquee. Who else has been outspending us other than Smurfs the last few years for Marquee?? No one. The other clubs have just got better value from theirs.

Problem lies with the coaching scouting and management positions and the poor decisions they make. The decision to sign Heskey and then play the way GVE had us and not to Heskeys strength defies logic.
The decision to sign Culina was not a bad one as such. If we were getting the bloke who had been a Socceroos and Eredivse stalwart and not the injury riddled bloke we got. Unfortunately the brains of our club did not check that a bloke who was recently injured was fit to play before signing him.

Money is not required to be successful in this league at all. Brisbane have won 3 of the last 4 comps and aren't wealthy

sammydog
18-11-2014, 07:40 PM
There was nothing wrong with the level of funds provided for a Marquee. Who else has been outspending us other than Smurfs the last few years for Marquee?? No one. The other clubs have just got better value from theirs.

Problem lies with the coaching scouting and management positions and the poor decisions they make. The decision to sign Heskey and then play the way GVE had us and not to Heskeys strength defies logic.
The decision to sign Culina was not a bad one as such. If we were getting the bloke who had been a Socceroos and Eredivse stalwart and not the injury riddled bloke we got. Unfortunately the brains of our club did not check that a bloke who was recently injured was fit to play before signing him.

Money is not required to be successful in this league at all. Brisbane have won 3 of the last 4 comps and aren't wealthy

You keep saying Middleby is the issue and you want a competent CEO, could it be that Tinks didn't pay what was needed there.

I'd argue that despite the onfield spending (marquee, etc), spending behind the scenes has been minimal. This is where we fall behind the big clubs. We always seem to be an injury prone club, are our strength and conditioning coaching staff any good, or were they the cheap option.

Was Stubbins the best we could get on the budget given?

What about the staff in the office. Do we have all the roles that we need in the club to connect with the community, to attract sponsors/investors and to run the club?

Could all those off field issues you keep raising be directly related to the amount of money Tinks/HSG wanted to spend to fill the positions?

Club funding and success runs much deeper than the onfield spending.

parksey
18-11-2014, 07:40 PM
anyone who doesn't think money has a lot to do with success in professional sport is pretty dumb tbh

parksey
18-11-2014, 07:42 PM
not that mfks actually believes what he's typing, it's just the unpopular opinion he's chosen to champion for the day

plague
18-11-2014, 08:33 PM
I can see Members point in some regards.
In a salary capped league the disparity between best and worst shouldnt be what we are witnessing at the moment. If it was just money then wouldnt Sydney or Melbourne have won it every year? For a comp having had 4 different clubs (Syd/Melb/Bris/Jets) win the grand final from 9 years says that anyone is in with a shot. Id say out of that only the Syd and Melb titles and maybe Brisbane year 3 would have been from clubs in the top 3 spending wise yeah*?
Brisbanes first title was from a coach who didnt have the best rep at the time and he had not long before rissoled his "big name" players.

Also you could point to the Wanderers winning the ACL with probably one of the lowest budget of any of the knockout round teams to show that theres more to it (like bribing the refs maybe?).
However you look at it we are rubbish and getting rubbisher. To blame most if not all of it on money is a cop out IMO.

Now if you'll all excuse me I'm going to wash the stink of agreeing with the Member off me.

Cheers,
Plague.

* i dont have operating budgets in front of me but please provide figures if anyone has them id be interested.

lquiquer
18-11-2014, 08:41 PM
For a comp having had 4 different clubs (Syd/Melb/Bris/Jets) win the grand final from 9 years says that anyone is in with a shot.
Waking up from a bad bad nightmare and finding out that Gypos actually never won it.......oh my god I'm back baby. See u all in Parra......

MFKS
18-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Well said Plague and you saved me a lot of the hassle and I apoligise for the shower you had to have. Hope the water wasn't cold!!! :roflz:.

Roarcelona GF win no 1 achieved what they did Miracle of Brisbane undefeated streak etc done so under FFA Control. Don't recall them spending big to sign anyone. Matter of fact they signed a pile of no names from the state leagues and recruited wisely from overseas

Wankers the last 2 seasons have made the GF 2 years running spending nothing other than a small amount extra on Shinji to go with their second hand cast off squad whilst under FFA Control.

Gypos have had teams consistently at the top of the ladder for the last 4-5 years and those ****s are ****ing skint

Adelaide are not loaded and have little extra money yet have a good side coming along who should go close to winning it and are well coached despite not spending up big
Perth have not spent big yet recruited wisely and have a good balance and look at how well they are placed with a coach who most people think is clueless

Heart on the other hand have spent up big in the off season and got what to show for it?? Little
Victree have constantly spent big yet haven't made a GF in 5 years and have rarely been close at seasons end
Smurfs have spent even more and haven't been a serious threat for 5 years also and have spent most of that time scraping into the 6 at our expense. Even with 2 million a season on a Marquee the best they could do was 5th

Make no mistake about it money and having plenty can be useful in this league. It is definitely not the be all and end all and you can achieve great things in spite of it.

Most of our problems at the Jets can actually be fixed without money and anyone thinking otherwise is in more denial than the club admin.

sammydog
18-11-2014, 08:51 PM
So you are saying, without spending any money we can get the backroom staff that you think the club needs?

I think you are wrong, if you want the best in the club admin, staff and coaching it costs money.

I agree that on the pitch its pretty even across the teams and you don't have to spend big there to be successful, but you can't be cheap behind the scenes and I think this is where some of the bigger budgeted clubs excel.

plague
18-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Waking up from a bad bad nightmare and finding out that Gypos actually never won it.......oh my god I'm back baby. See u all in Parra......

yeah mate. i fact checked it and everything (using nf.net) and its def 4 from 9.

GazFish35
18-11-2014, 09:08 PM
It's all about money, and where and how you spend it.

Good people cost money.
Lots of good people cost lots of money.

And that in no way is a dig at anyone who has ever worked for the club.
We've always been understaffed and overworked... Or distracted by also running the knights.

In a comp equalled out by limiting spending on playing staff we've struggled spending money elsewhere in the club set up in areas where the advantage truly lies. We've never had an own owner willing to spend the money in back room staff, coaching, marketing and community engagement.

plague
18-11-2014, 09:14 PM
So you are saying, without spending any money we can get the backroom staff that you think the club needs?

I think you are wrong, if you want the best in the club admin, staff and coaching it costs money.

I dont know anyone saying that we dont need money, i think people are saying that we arent spending our money as wisely as others.

Id dare say Gombau (is that how you spell it?) is getting paid less than Gypo Arnie, prob less than Heart bloke too. Whos the better coach?
Adelaide CEO went OS in search of a coach and came back with a star.
Jets CEO went OS to find a buyer for the club, and all we got was a ****ing selfie with Sir Alex.

18-11-2014, 09:19 PM
I can see Members point in some regards.
In a salary capped league the disparity between best and worst shouldnt be what we are witnessing at the moment. If it was just money then wouldnt Sydney or Melbourne have won it every year? For a comp having had 4 different clubs (Syd/Melb/Bris/Jets) win the grand final from 9 years says that anyone is in with a shot. Id say out of that only the Syd and Melb titles and maybe Brisbane year 3 would have been from clubs in the top 3 spending wise yeah*?
Brisbanes first title was from a coach who didnt have the best rep at the time and he had not long before rissoled his "big name" players.

Also you could point to the Wanderers winning the ACL with probably one of the lowest budget of any of the knockout round teams to show that theres more to it (like bribing the refs maybe?).
However you look at it we are rubbish and getting rubbisher. To blame most if not all of it on money is a cop out IMO.

Now if you'll all excuse me I'm going to wash the stink of agreeing with the Member off me.

Cheers,
Plague.

* i dont have operating budgets in front of me but please provide figures if anyone has them id be interested.

This. On the shortlist for post of the year

MFKS
18-11-2014, 09:21 PM

No it will cost money that is an obvious statement. Unfortunately we won't find anyone to do it for free!!!

I think though we can achieve better quality of backroom staff than we currently have at this time or have had in recent times by spending no more than we currently do anyway for the results we get

I think we can also achieve a quality of backroom staff on the money currently being spent by Tinks/FFA or whoever is paying the bills to provide us with a backroom staff and ALSO a playing staff who are in the top 4 and a serious contender for the title

It's all about money, and where and how you spend it.

Good people cost money.
Lots of good people cost lots of money.

And that in no way is a dig at anyone who has ever worked for the club.
We've always been understaffed and overworked... Or distracted by also running the knights.

In a comp equalled out by limiting spending on playing staff we've struggled spending money elsewhere in the club set up in areas where the advantage truly lies. We've never had an own owner willing to spend the money in back room staff, coaching, marketing and community engagement.

Some good points Mr Fish

This one is particularly fitting

money, and where and how you spend it.

We have spent the last few years paying shit loads paying out inept coaches. The value for money we got out of them was piss poor
We have spent the last few years paying the salary cap and Heskeytimes and Culina's wages on our marquees and playing squad. The value we have got out of them was piss poor.

Compared to everyone else spending the same we are getting the worse bang in the HAL for our (Tinks) bucks.

We need to start getting these decisions on signing not signing players/coaches/admin etc RIGHT and not failing at the rate we do

Problem lies with the people making decisions in our club and that is the CEO Palmer Baartz Bridges Coaching department etc CONSTANTLY making the wrong ones or very poor ones with who they recruit on the park as well as off the park.

plague
18-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Actually a good point about spending money is how we've dealt with Michael Bridges.
Between playing contracts, assistant coaching roles and 'embassador' roles how many of you think that the money we spent on could have been better spent elsewhere?
Yet someone in charge of our club continually spent money on this bloke versus using these scant resources for another more in need area.

Go on lads, defend your boy.

lquiquer
18-11-2014, 09:24 PM
I dont know anyone saying that we dont need money, i think people are saying that we arent spending our money as wisely as others.

^ spot on Plague.....but also because of clowns currently running our club I got the feeling that a lot of players / managers are not too keen to settle in downtown Newy for a couple of years: Paartalu, Burns, Arnie.....etc

Frodo
18-11-2014, 09:41 PM
If our club magically found $5 million tomorrow do you think we would win the league this year or next year?

If the FFA took us over and replaced the board members do think we would have as much, more or less chance of winning the league this year or next?

GazFish35
18-11-2014, 09:43 PM
We've often taken the cheapest option even when we have spent money.

Money spent right is the key.
Look at soufs. It took big rusty a decade to turn than tinpot club into a winning team.
Salary capped league, but clearly his cash spent well helped change things.

plague
18-11-2014, 09:44 PM
If the FFA took us over and replaced the board members do think we would have as much, more or less chance of winning the league this year or next?

No guarantee of more but definitely not less.

furns
18-11-2014, 09:50 PM
It doesn't have to be the most expensive people - it has to be the RIGHT people.
You know, like all the people the FFA stole from other clubs to set up wanderers as a success.

matty
19-11-2014, 04:43 AM
Forgetting the weekend, here is some relatively posative news to start the day. Take it how u please

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2705889/jets-stung-into-action-at-training/?cs=306

Tommyjet
19-11-2014, 06:34 AM
Forgetting the weekend, here is some relatively posative news to start the day. Take it how u please

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2705889/jets-stung-into-action-at-training/?cs=306

Really hope caravella is dropped. I wonder if pepper will come back into consideration

Premy
19-11-2014, 06:55 AM
Really hope caravella is dropped. I wonder if pepper will come back into consideration

I doubt circle work will be dropped if Kanta plays CB

WolfMan
19-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Looks like a file photo - unless Steele has been recalled?

Grimario
19-11-2014, 07:36 AM

To find the cloud behind the silver lining...

Given how shit our first eleven is, how honking is our second string if they make our first choice look good?

MFKS
19-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Look forward to seeing Kanta in CD.

Bloke does not do enough in Midfield to justify being put there

MFKS
19-11-2014, 08:16 AM
Looks like a file photo - unless Steele has been recalled?
I ain't seeing Steele there

Players L to R Neville Kanta Celvski Griff Kew Carney Walsh Bk Jeronimo Flores the last one I am uncertain of from that angle but it ain't Jonny amnd looks more like Cooper or Lundy

Thomas477
19-11-2014, 08:34 AM
I love this quote:

Kew is obviously more suited to a central role.

Well no shit Stibbins. And as for the session being at Aleague intensity, all the ****ing sessions should be! You only train for 8 hours a week! Every session should be at 100%!

MFKS
19-11-2014, 08:46 AM
I love this quote:

Well no shit Stibbins. And as for the session being at Aleague intensity, all the ****ing sessions should be! You only train for 8 hours a week! Every session should be at 100%!

But was the A League level intensity the Jets level of low intensity behind the pace of play effort or at the teams above them on the ladder who actually have an idea what they are doing ??

Jeterpool
19-11-2014, 09:14 AM

Players L to R Neville Kanta Celvski Griff Kew Carney Walsh Bk Jeronimo Flores the last one I am uncertain of from that angle but it ain't Jonny amnd looks more like Cooper or Lundy

I think it's Gallaway.

People have been calling for Kanta as a CB and this week could be his chance!

-----------------BK----------------

SN------KJ----------BK-------SG

---------AW---------BC----------

JN------------MF--------------DC

-------------JG-------------------

Grimario
19-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Do you hate Pepper as well, Jeterpool?

Jeterpool
19-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Do you hate Pepper as well, Jeterpool?

Definitely not! I want Pepper in the team and want to know why he's been left out! That formation was based on the players MFKS picked out from the photo in the Herald and I was putting two-and two together.

plague
19-11-2014, 10:52 AM
I was putting two-and two together.

Geez mate, we all know you are the NERDY NERD stat guy. No need to rub it in to us simpletons.

plague
19-11-2014, 10:52 AM
What was the answer by the way?
(Asking for a friend).

Tommyjet
19-11-2014, 11:00 AM
I think it's Gallaway.

People have been calling for Kanta as a CB and this week could be his chance!

-----------------BK----------------

SN------KJ----------BK-------SG

---------AW---------BC----------

JN------------MF--------------DC

-------------JG-------------------

Love that lineup. Pepper or welsh either way I'm happy with. I feel for monty but we need griff and Flores in the middle there somewhere. That lineup also shows a reasonable amount more pace to it.

Jeterpool
19-11-2014, 12:30 PM
What was the answer by the way?
(Asking for a friend).

Jeterpool
19-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Geez mate, we all know you are the NERDY NERD stat guy. No need to rub it in to us simpletons.

That needs to replace "Senior Member" in my profile.

What happened to the ratings based on posts in Foz 1.0?

redwah
19-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Well said Plague and you saved me a lot of the hassle and I apoligise for the shower you had to have. Hope the water wasn't cold!!! :roflz:.

Roarcelona GF win no 1 achieved what they did Miracle of Brisbane undefeated streak etc done so under FFA Control. Don't recall them spending big to sign anyone. Matter of fact they signed a pile of no names from the state leagues and recruited wisely from overseas

Wankers the last 2 seasons have made the GF 2 years running spending nothing other than a small amount extra on Shinji to go with their second hand cast off squad whilst under FFA Control.

Gypos have had teams consistently at the top of the ladder for the last 4-5 years and those ****s are ****ing skint

Adelaide are not loaded and have little extra money yet have a good side coming along who should go close to winning it and are well coached despite not spending up big
Perth have not spent big yet recruited wisely and have a good balance and look at how well they are placed with a coach who most people think is clueless

Heart on the other hand have spent up big in the off season and got what to show for it?? Little
Victree have constantly spent big yet haven't made a GF in 5 years and have rarely been close at seasons end
Smurfs have spent even more and haven't been a serious threat for 5 years also and have spent most of that time scraping into the 6 at our expense. Even with 2 million a season on a Marquee the best they could do was 5th

Make no mistake about it money and having plenty can be useful in this league. It is definitely not the be all and end all and you can achieve great things in spite of it.

Most of our problems at the Jets can actually be fixed without money and anyone thinking otherwise is in more denial than the club admin.

I agree that success can come on a budget and the big spenders don't always finish on top.

Consider the Jets reputation then if you will. We have had 2 owners who have both been guilty of not paying staff on time and who have had issues with paying other facets of the business, i.e. ground rent etc. Both owners have had issues with the FFA and the club licence and both have/are going to lose the club due to finances. We have had how many managers in our time? 10? as many as the smurphs and they are a joke for it. How many players have we had through the joint? How many unsuccessful imports? how many support staff, physios etc? How many times has a Griffiths brother left for better offers elsewhere? Surely all these factors sway players in their decisions to play here or not...and most of them have come from money. I don't doubt that other clubs have finacial difficulties at times. I also don't doubt that a successful club can be built on a shoestring budget but when the club is at an almost cancerous point with the scars of the past what needs to be done to change this?

Will the saale of the club by Tinkler change things, maybe? Will the FFA taking over change things, maybe? Would Middleby losing his job change things, maybe? Would a clean out of staff do it, maybe? Would all these things change the club...definetly but long term what will make us the great club we all want?

On a side note I saw a little of Mark Viduka's interview on the Sam, Santo and Ed show last night and he said something about the state of Australian football that I agree with. Clubs don't develope the quality of players now that they did in the past...I think it's down to the lack of reserve team football. You have 23 man squads and youth league...the gap and lack of game times for those not in the first team doesn't help in player development. young guys not playing against older guys makes the jump up to great for some of them....Just my opinion.

WolfMan
19-11-2014, 07:20 PM

Ahhh, Celeski it would be. I saw some ink and a scruffy beard - 2+2 = 5. My bad

MFKS
20-11-2014, 08:06 AM
NEWCASTLE Herald writer Robert Dillon has been recognised as one of the leading investigative sports journalists in the country.

Dillon, pictured, won the best sports journalism award in rural, regional or suburban media at the Australian Sports Commission Media Awards in Sydney on Wednesday night.

His winning entry included in-depth reporting on former billionaire Nathan Tinkler’s demise as the owner of the Newcastle Knights.

Dillon’s forthright and fearless work has also earned him gongs this year from the Kennedy Awards for Excellence in NSW Journalism and the NSW Regional Media Awards.

He has been named as a dual finalist in the Walkley Awards, to be announced on December 4.

I take it the standards ain't that high in regional Australia then??

GazFish35
20-11-2014, 09:02 AM
The Wingham chronicle is great.
Manning river times not so much.

parksey
20-11-2014, 12:18 PM
i've been saying for years, dillon is good

Blackmac79
20-11-2014, 12:25 PM

at what he does. Journalists get a raw deal, stereotyped due to the majority of them being twats and the rest working for murdoch.

pv4
20-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Muckrapists m8

hawk
20-11-2014, 11:32 PM

Is he your step dad?

parksey
21-11-2014, 01:13 AM
Short memories.
Dillon was anti jets up until the last couple of years because the herald took him off his beloved Knoughts.

Cant forget a true *ss he was with his c*nt mate Corbett

he was never anti-jets, he did always seem to be the one who reported on "crowd troubles" at jets games but that comes with the territory.

dillon won awards for his coverage of the knights and hsg so yeah that's not true either.

GazFish35
21-11-2014, 02:02 AM
Parksey now works for nh

Congrats mate.
;)

parksey
21-11-2014, 10:58 AM
if only

plague
21-11-2014, 11:06 AM
if only

Leave the Foz for the Herald?
Why take a demotion?

&1gest
21-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Tweet from James Gardiner

@billygriff29 (https://twitter.com/billygriff29) suiting out @NewcastleJetsFC (https://twitter.com/NewcastleJetsFC) training with foot infection. Unlikely to be right for @wswanderersfc (https://twitter.com/wswanderersfc) game. @newcastleherald (https://twitter.com/newcastleherald)

Beeen
21-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Fuxake

BodyNovo
21-11-2014, 11:57 AM
$100 on wanderers

hawk
21-11-2014, 12:41 PM
he was never anti-jets, he did always seem to be the one who reported on "crowd troubles" at jets games but that comes with the territory.

dillon won awards for his coverage of the knights and hsg so yeah that's not true either.

rubbish. reread articles in Herald then come back.

He won awards for the Knights sums up my argument. Thanks Ronny.

baldrick
22-11-2014, 11:25 AM
With friends like these By ROBERT DILLON Nov. 21, 2014, 9 p.m.

AFTER what seems like 1000 years as a sports journalist, yours truly has never lost an ingrained sense of envy for the people lucky enough to earn a living as professional athletes.

Every time Sporting Declaration ventures out to a training session for the Newcastle Knights or Jets, I come away thinking what a life those guys enjoy.

While the rest of us are digging ditches or slaving over a hot laptop, they get paid to exercise and hang out with their mates.

They travel around Australia and even overseas, playing in great stadiums in front of big crowds and watched by vast TV audiences.

If they are any good and half-smart, by the time their playing careers are finished they should be financially secure for the rest of their days.

The bottom line is that they are living their dream and, in many cases, earning a lucrative wage in the process.

If they were not good enough to be playing professionally, they would probably be running around in amateur ranks or, like many of us, slothing on the sofa, watching their preferred code and wishing they were out there on the pitch.

But the past week has reminded me that it is not always a case of money for nothing and your chicks for free.

After the reaction to their loss last week to Brisbane Roar, I can’t imagine it has been much fun this week being a Newcastle Jets player or coach Phil Stubbins.

For most people, if we have a bad day at work, nobody knows about it, other than perhaps our colleagues and immediate families.

But for the Jets there has been no place to hide after their 4-0 capitulation.

If they were not already feeling dejected about their performance against Brisbane, the players had to endure the ignominy of being booed off the field by their own ‘‘supporters’’.

This has been followed by a week of team meetings, soul searching, public apologies and unrelenting media scrutiny.

You wouldn’t want to trade places with them for any money.

What has struck me most is how scathing the fans have been in their criticism.

This has been brewing for some time. The Jets have not made the finals for the past four seasons and disappointment has turned to frustration and, finally, outright anger.

The Novocastrian faithful are fed up. And perhaps deservedly so.

Without their support, and the money they spend on season tickets and merchandise, the Jets would not exist.

These long-suffering punters are entitled to their opinions, and with their team winless after six games, the feedback was never likely to be complimentary.

Players enjoy the adulation when they are successful.

The flip side of that is they can expect to be taken to task when they are losing regularly.

Sporting Declaration fully endorses freedom of speech, but what I don’t agree with is the anonymity of social media.

Whether it is on the Herald’s website, Twitter or the online forum frequented by members of the Squadron, the comments posted rarely have the author’s real name attached.

They will use a nickname, or a pseudonym, and I find it all a tad cowardly.

The players, coach and club officials are in the public eye. Everyone knows who they are.

Media commentators and columnists also have to stand by what they write or say.

We are expected to maintain some semblance of dignity, no matter what the provocation, although Mike Carlton may beg to differ.

But Joe Public can deliver whatever diatribe he (or she) wants, without any identification, and thanks to the wonder of the internet it can be read by millions of people around the globe.

I guess it’s easy to be brave when you are hiding behind a keyboard and nobody knows who you are.

It must be hard for players to ignore.

In the case of the Jets, I know of one former player who became so obsessed by the hammering he was copping on social media he needed counselling.

His confidence was shot to bits.

Given the Jets may not yet have hit rock bottom, the queue of punters putting the boot in is unlikely to shorten any time soon.

All of which makes me wonder if it is time to change Never Tear Us Apart as the theme song before every home game kicks off.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2713592/with-friends-like-these/?cs=306

Zico
22-11-2014, 02:51 PM
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2713592/with-friends-like-these/?cs=306
That is the fu@kwits way of having a go at everybody who doesn't like him on here.

redwah
22-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Dillon is more than welcome to come on here and give the keyboard warriors a chance to voice their opinion to someone who can give there say the proper air it deserves. I'll give him my name and number if he'd like to discuss any of my opinions. Same goes for tinkler , middleby, stubbins or anyone else at the club who is interested.....problem is no one is interested.....that's why its "play shit, apologies, rinse, repeat" for years now.

Couscous
22-11-2014, 06:09 PM
yours truly has never lost an ingrained sense of envy for the people lucky enough to earn ... chicks for free.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2qkjluc.png

MFKS
22-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Surprised he didn't publicly thank Parkesy for his support

On another note congratulations on your trophy Robert. The winning a popularity contest amongst failures of journos
unwanted in the big city must mean a lot to you

GazFish35
23-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Lol. Love how he slams the foz as the biggest source of negative anonymous comment. Most of the shit posted in here is at least based in some analytical thought process.

The shit on Facebook and the herald website however....

Mr Dillon, my name is Gavin Austin. But most already know that.

hausmann
23-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Oh Robert.

This is why I never read the Herald anymore. There is a sense among the reporters that they can attack anything in our community with no consequences. Not only that but they get awards for it. At least in big city papers they have real national and international issues to spread fear and hatred about but the Herald can only spread Fear and hatred about their own community. FFs , having a go at the common man in your local community is about as low as you can get as a journalist.

Buddha
23-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Dear Robert

I always thought you were a dickhead, but the above photo actually confirms you have a dick for a head

Regards
Phil Megroin

plague
23-11-2014, 11:09 AM
To be fair, when I first joined the Foz I tried to register my real name but it was already taken.
Seems like the system wouldn't accept two 'ForeverReds'.

plague
23-11-2014, 11:23 AM
and FFS, is this the bloke who talks about anonymity and people who won't face up then goes on to tell stories of an 'unnamed player' needing counselling and lends his entire career citing 'sources' and 'insiders' for his stories that are without doubt 100% accurate 100% of the time.

From now on instead of us saying 'the Jets are shit' we should follow Dillons approach and say 'sources close to me are saying that the Jets are shit'.

Happy Parksey.............I mean Robert?

Couscous
23-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Most of the shit posted in here is at least based in some analytical thought process.

I resent that comment.

On, and Mr Dillon, my nickname is Couscous. IRL. And I will continue to support you and The Herald in this place.

The Dunster
23-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Dillon is not a Jets fan and he has no idea of what we are going through after being let down by the club for over six years.

Every year we are told things will be better and every year we realise the club was lying to us once again.

We go from one bad coach to another and replace players that leave with lesser players or players with career ending injuries.

We watch local kids become team captain only to be thrown on the scrap heap by a coach who'd rather lose than have his authority questioned.

Having held a family season ticket since the Jets began, this year we had finally had enough and did not renew our memberships and have no plans to do so in the future.

The Jets are the most unprofessional team in the competition and until that changes Robert Dillon should be directing his focus on management rather than on the fans.

Regards Alan Dunn

P.S Go **** yourself

q-money
23-11-2014, 01:06 PM
shots fired

hausmann
23-11-2014, 02:53 PM
i guess it’s easy to be brave when you are hiding behind a keyboard qft

parksey
23-11-2014, 03:13 PM
onya dillon

parksey
23-11-2014, 03:16 PM
give him another award for that piece

belchardo
23-11-2014, 08:11 PM
abc grandstand reported today that mulvey had been sacked. what chance a coach swap?

joel31
23-11-2014, 08:51 PM
abc grandstand reported today that mulvey had been sacked. what chance a coach swap?
I'd take Mulvey > Stubbins without a blink of the eye

Jeterpool
23-11-2014, 09:15 PM
I'd take Mulvey > Stubbins without a blink of the eye

So would I. Unfortunately I don't think it will happen.

joel31
23-11-2014, 09:53 PM
So would I. Unfortunately I don't think it will happen.
it won't. Mulvey will have a job at another club and be back to doing well again before Stubbins contract expires

pv4
23-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Wrt Dillons article - the majority on here aren't anonymous (or attempting to be) at all. I go to the tenz and get a dozen people calling me gypo. I've got good mates from this forum that i didn't know before joining. Pv4 isn't my real name, but i don't hide who i am from anybody. I happily tell people i am the man behind the pseudonym if they know of me. As do most on here, from my past experience.

Skirt Boy
23-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Wrt Dillons article - the majority on here aren't anonymous (or attempting to be) at all. I go to the tenz and get a dozen people calling me gypo. I've got good mates from this forum that i didn't know before joining. Pv4 isn't my real name, but i don't hide who i am from anybody. I happily tell people i am the man behind the pseudonym if they know of me. As do most on here, from my past experience.

Yep. I know it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out who I am either........Especially when the pricks from the Herald have published my photos

furns
23-11-2014, 11:12 PM
Out of everyone, I would think I am the easiest to work out lol
Never attempted to hide my identity Robert.

ToddG NBUnited
23-11-2014, 11:41 PM
I've always been one for hiding my name.......oh

plague
23-11-2014, 11:56 PM
Y'all can get ****ed if you think I'm fessing up.

pv4
24-11-2014, 12:15 AM
Y'all can get ****ed if you think I'm fessing up.

Give it up pal. We all know you're purely a spambot, whose sole purpose is to wind up ForeverRed and MFAW.

plague
24-11-2014, 12:38 AM
Give it up pal. We all know you're purely a spambot, whose sole purpose is to wind up ForeverRed and MFAW.

If that was my only job id have retired with a Floyd Mayweather type record many moons ago.
No sir, there is more work to be done.

Grimario
24-11-2014, 01:23 AM
As the forums resident Brazilian, I find it offensive the Dill Onion reckons I am anonymous. I also take offence to bring called a keyboard warrior when I'm actually a touchscreen samurai.

Signed,

Grim Ario

Grimario
24-11-2014, 01:23 AM
I have no idea why my phone did that to Dillon. Damn swypos.

Blackmac79
24-11-2014, 06:21 AM
Nobody has a clue who I am.

Jeterpool
24-11-2014, 08:12 AM
I don't know who I am. Robbie D - can you help?

Seriously isn't hard to work it out

BodyNovo
24-11-2014, 08:34 AM
My name is Bodedawg

GazFish35
24-11-2014, 08:42 AM
I'm actually a touchscreen samurai.

:)

Buddha
24-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Out of everyone, I would think I am the easiest to work out lol
Never attempted to hide my identity Robert.

I'm not so sure, you know with ferns, pherns, furnz, fernz etc

hawk
25-11-2014, 11:30 PM
Dillon is not a Jets fan and he has no idea of what we are going through after being let down by the club for over six years.

Every year we are told things will be better and every year we realise the club was lying to us once again.

We go from one bad coach to another and replace players that leave with lesser players or players with career ending injuries.

We watch local kids become team captain only to be thrown on the scrap heap by a coach who'd rather lose than have his authority questioned.

Having held a family season ticket since the Jets began, this year we had finally had enough and did not renew our memberships and have no plans to do so in the future.

The Jets are the most unprofessional team in the competition and until that changes Robert Dillon should be directing his focus on management rather than on the fans.

Regards Alan Dunn

P.S Go **** yourself

why we luv ya dunst.

BTW Dillon has written some good and fair articles over the couple of years. He has beeen more accurate about the team and management due to grabbing better info.

I cannot forgive the the lies he told to a mass market about fans for the 5 or so yrs before that. Mud sticks, bl.

also, Mulvey should come in for a look anyway.

plague
25-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Can't wait to start writing vicious and vile nastiness from behind my keyboard about Mulvey.
Bit bored with that Stubbins chap already to be honest.

pv4
26-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Can't wait to start writing vicious and vile nastiness from behind my keyboard about Mulvey.
Bit bored with that Stubbins chap already to be honest.

Do I hear a suggestion for a MULVEY OUT thread?

Grimario
01-12-2014, 11:04 AM
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2732414/regan-hurt-as-jets-youth-fail-to-hang-on-to-lead/?cs=306

Coach James Pascoe said Regan heard a ‘‘pop’’ in his upper ankle when landing awkwardly and there were fears he had damaged syndesmosis in the area.

belchardo
02-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Former Western Sydney Wanderer Tahj Minniecon signs with Philippine club Loyola Sparks David Polkinghorne
Published: December 1, 2014 - 7:05PM
Advertisement

Former Western Sydney Wanderers forward Tahj Minniecon has signed with Philippine club Loyola Meralco Sparks in an attempt to get his professional career back on track.

Minniecon started playing soccer with Canberra junior club Brindabella Blues, then called Blue Light, and was part of the Australian Institute of Sport program before signing with the A-League club Brisbane Roar.

The 25-year-old also played for the now-defunct Gold Coast United and then the Wanderers, who released him at the end of last season.

But the former Olyroo has signed a one-year deal with Loyola and will start in January with the view to resurrecting his career in Asia.

His manager, Kaz Patafta, said he was over his recent injury woes.

"The reason for him going there is to get into a side where he can at least just play out a season, because he hasn't been able to do that for a while now," Patafta said.

"We start there and I'm sure he'll make a name for himself in Asia and those areas."

This story was found at: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/soccer/former-western-sydney-wanderer-tahj-minniecon-signs-with-philippine-club-loyola-sparks-20141201-11xrqu.html

:what:

sammydog
02-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Didn't Patafta study and graduate from Law? Becoming a manager probably isn't that big a jump for him.

Bon
02-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Didn't Patafta study and graduate from Law? Becoming a manager probably isn't that big a jump for him.

I thought it was Dapuzzo doing law?
Perhaps it was both? haha

The Dunster
02-12-2014, 12:13 PM

I think Puzz did Law / Comm Degree.

Patafta was running coaching clinics then went to the Philipines to play.

Wrt Minnecon he's was easily the most talented NYL player I had seen in action.

Remember watching him destroy the jets youth at Adamstown oval.

Injuries or his mind in another place would be the only explanation for him not going on with it.

He's only 25 so it's still not too late for him to get back on track.

sammydog
02-12-2014, 12:56 PM

I know Dapuzzo did law, I just thought Patafta was doing the same.

joel31
02-12-2014, 06:34 PM
He was doing law
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/rejuvenated-patafta-targets-socceroo-return/90472

Premy
02-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Anyone seen this kid play?

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/edgar-nikes-most-wanted

lquiquer
02-12-2014, 10:52 PM
So in 24 hours we will be last and after all someone has to come last ...... Like Dortmund ... :whistling::lulz:

Grimario
08-12-2014, 12:58 PM
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2748572/mistakes-of-past-ensnare-jets-in-vicious-circle/

THE real worry for Newcastle Jets fans is not that this campaign already appears a write-off, with two-thirds of the preliminary rounds still to be played.

Even more concerning is what lies in store next season.

Saturday’s 3-1 loss to Wellington Phoenix left the Jets winless after nine games and second last on the points table, with the worst goal differential (minus-11) in the A-League.

If the result was disappointing, the circumstances were shattering.

For the fifth time this season, the Jets drew first blood.

And for the fifth time they were unable to hold the lead, and a three-goal Wellington blitz in the space of five minutes pushed already-disgruntled supporters a step closer to the point of no return.

With Newcastle’s next three games against competition leaders Perth (away), third-placed Adelaide (home) and second-placed Melbourne Victory (away), this could soon turn even uglier for rookie coach Phil Stubbins and his struggling troops.

Barring a remarkable form reversal, the Jets could be dead and buried in the race for the playoffs by Christmas, at which point tough decisions would need to be made.

If this group of players is incapable of delivering improved results, then presumably the only option for the powers-that-be will be to return to the drawing board. But how can we have any confidence in the people responsible for hiring and firing, given what has transpired this season?

Let’s wind back the clock 12 months and reflect on where the Jets were at the corresponding point last year.

After round nine, they were third on the ladder, had strung together four wins in five games and had 15 points to their name.

Yet six games later, coach Gary van Egmond had been sacked.

His interim replacement, Clayton Zane, won five and drew two of 12 games at the helm, enough to be retained as assistant to Stubbins but not as head tactician.

Having finished seventh, hence missing the finals for the fourth successive season, Newcastle then parted company, for a variety of reasons, with experienced players such as Emile Heskey, Adam Taggart, Ruben Zadkovich, Josh Brillante, Craig Goodwin, Michael Bridges, Josh Mitchell, James Brown and Nick Ward.

In came Edson Montano, Billy Celeski, Marcos Flores, Jeronimo Neumann, Adrian Madaschi and Jonny Steele, some of whom were returning from major surgeries.

On the evidence thus far, it is hard to reach the conclusion that the wholesale turnover in personnel has left Newcastle with a stronger roster.

After four years as also-rans – during which the Jets finished seventh three times and eighth once – this season’s results would suggest they have regressed.

And now the same people responsible for assembling this squad might have to again clear the decks and start afresh.

It has become a vicious circle. How can any club develop a successful, winning culture when an end-of-season cleanout becomes an annual event?

Why would any top-shelf players want to come here?

Some fans are already demanding Stubbins should make way.

But given that he is Newcastle’s third coach inside 11 months, if the Englishman was to be sacked, then those who appointed him should surely sack themselves as well.

All of which is being played out under the ownership of a man who declared months ago he ‘‘can’t wait’’ to sell the Jets.

Until such time as controversial tycoon Nathan Tinkler has moved on, it is hard to envisage any positive change on the horizon.

While the club remains in his hands, it seems not a dollar more will be spent than is necessary, and the front-office acumen will come from the same officials who have been in charge since October, 2010.

Meanwhile, Newcastle’s A-League franchise is not just stuck in neutral. It is rolling backwards.

At what point the Jets reach rock bottom is anyone’s guess.

Frodo
08-12-2014, 04:12 PM
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2748572/mistakes-of-past-ensnare-jets-in-vicious-circle/

Some definite truths in there. Everything has already been said a million times on this forum, at least now it will be right in the face of those running the club. FFA will have to start thinking about the loss of income for them if we fold or if they lose 5000 supporters in 1 year.

belchardo
08-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Jets offering $1 tickets to the reds match tomorrow.

Grimario
08-12-2014, 10:13 PM

A handling fee from $4.35 per transaction applies. Credit / Debit card charges of 1.95% will also apply.

lquiquer
08-12-2014, 11:09 PM

they should pay us

matty
09-12-2014, 03:51 AM
Full review of the club coming right up

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2751582/middleby-backs-stubbins/?cs=306

Couscous
09-12-2014, 09:06 AM
A full review of the club. What a brilliant idea!

Of course, given that the owner is not committed to the club and given that any future owner would no doubt perform their own review and have their own ideas, Middleby's review is entirely useless. But great work nonetheless!

Grimario
09-12-2014, 09:07 AM
I think the club need to launch a full review into the need for a review. That's the only way forward.

idontwannaplaywithhowey
09-12-2014, 11:04 AM
You would think that the club would be continually reviewing their practices, especially in the light that we have had no success whatsoever for the last 5 years. I don't think any fans are silly enough to be appeased by the notion of a full internal review as we are all aware that there will be no outcomes from it.

Grimario
09-12-2014, 11:07 AM
Surprised there isn't a single comment yet on that article.

MFKS
09-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Surprised there isn't a single comment yet on that article.
Probably cause the poor bloke at the Herald is having his work cut out trying to find a single comment that doesn't require excessive censorship as fans express their thoughts

Grimario
09-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Pfft. Mine was pretty tame compared to some of the stuff of mine they have put up there in the past.

leftrightout
09-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Will this review be made available for the fans to see?
We are the ones who need to know whats going on with our club!

Grimario
09-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Probably cause the poor bloke at the Herald is having his work cut out trying to find a single comment that doesn't require excessive censorship as fans express their thoughts
Probably because there is 8,000,000 of them. Jeebus.

middlebyoutstubbinsout • 23 minutes ago
I didn't even read this article, just the headline. You both need to be SACKED!

Burnt Muffin • 20 minutes ago
The team might as well look for answers because Middleby and Stubbins don't have any!

josh • 2 hours ago
Great signings.... injury ridden celeski and flores and Steele who is AWOL.

outta here • 2 hours ago
Stubbins isn't the problem here Middleby, you are. #MiddlebyOut

Giver, The D. • 2 hours ago
The dreaded support of management. Might as well start packing his bags then.

Bernie • 2 hours ago
Again we hear meaningless words from Middleby. 'We are looking at every aspect of the operation.' Who is we? If it is Middleby and Co, then they will not find anything wrong, or minor things at best. The people causing the problem are never the right people to review what is going on. I note that there are no specifics as to what the review process will be.
Re his backing of Stubbins - real surprise there lol. He also said the same things about GVE at the start of last season after GVE had presided over 2 poor seasons.
Final comment - The Jets declined to sign Nathan Burns because medical advice was that he was too big a risk. Who assessed Flores and Celeski? Don't get me wrong. I am happy to have them as Jets. I just wish we had Nathan as well.

steve136 • 3 hours ago
Of course he backs Stubbins - he's the idiot who hired him in the first place. Another load of tripe from the club...just more and more words. Anyone remember Middleby talking before this season about how the club had talked to long, and anything other than playoffs was unacceptable? He's been awfully quiet on that front lately...

Member, is this one you?

Captain Fantastic • 3 hours ago
What on earth is the point of this review? Any incoming new owner, whether it is someone who purchases the license from sTinkler or the FFA who pick it up when he dumps it completely, will do their own review.

Way to just do another media release Robbie, complete waste of air. You and the rest of the suits are responsible for the shambles we find ourselves in. Do the best thing for the club and review yourself before starting a letter with the words "I hereby tender my resignation immediately".

Disgraceful, the lot of you.

Stubbstitution • 3 hours ago
I vote no more reporting on the Jets until something changes. It has been the same story week after week and is, frankly, tiring to read. We don't care what Middleby has to say. We don't care what Stubbins has to say. They aren't up the job, everybody knows. It is empty platitudes.
Jets out.

robo • 3 hours ago
Unbelievable! ! Stubbins, middleby and the fitness coach need to be the first 3 gone. Nothing less will be acceptable

roundball • 3 hours ago
The talk coming out of the Jets at the moment is so patronising to the fans that all it seems to do is to make the readers angry.IMO the clear out should commence immediately. Middleby and Stubbins must be shown the door.This season is dead and buried.Season ticket holders will have to decide whether to commit again for next season and if these two are still here then that decision will most likely be in the negative.Our club is on a downward spiral and action needs to be taken.
I again see Clayton Zane as a reasonable alternative to coach the players and the FFA should take over the running of the club until it can be sold.Testing times for all involved. No one seems to be listening to the fans but their patience will run out and they will stop coming to games.Jets in crisis both on and off the pitch.

FEDUP !!!! • 12 hours ago
With backing from Middleby, I'd be worried if I was Phil !
They could leave together, there's an idea !
Just shut up Middleby, say nothing, nothing. Just Leave!

GREGsa NOVOCASTRIAN • 10 hours ago
He proclaims actions speak louder than words, but then ONLY offers MORE WORDS.
The catch-phrases are failing as much as the team Robbie and sadly for you, the results are speaking much louder than your EMPTY WORDS.
Out you should go Robbie, Ray & Stubby, before you decimate the loyal fan-base any more than you already have!....

The Dunster
09-12-2014, 12:11 PM
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2751582/middleby-backs-stubbins/?cs=306[/QUOTE]

‘‘I have confidence in Phil and he has the support of everyone at the club,’’ Middleby said.

The Kiss of Death.

MFKS
09-12-2014, 12:12 PM
No I am responsible for none of them.

Rarely reply to the Herald as at least you blokes here have some intelligence unlike most of the oxygen thiefs with little idea who post on there.

This time though they at least seem to have a clue what they are talking about but wanting Stubbins Middleby Tinks out with current events at the club requires **** all intelligence to come to that conclusion

MFKS
09-12-2014, 12:23 PM
New Cronulla Sharks chief executive Lyall Gorman believes the club can own the next A-League franchise and says they could be ready for the 2017 season when the FFA is expected to expand the competition.

Gorman, who joined Cronulla last month after two years at the Western Sydney Wanderers, isn't afraid to dream big and believes an A-League franchise is a logical option to help build the Sharks brand.

While Gorman has held only preliminary discussions with the club's powerbrokers over the prospect of entering a Sharks A-League team, he is confident a team could be up and running in time for the 2017-18 A-League season.

"Absolutely it can be ready," Gorman said on Monday.

"That's a conversation with the board to have within the Sharks, but you own your own ground, it's rectangular, you're in the heartland of the participation base. I have no doubt if the board thought it was the appropriate thing to do, time wouldn't be a challenge.

"If it ever came to fruition, it would be naive of the Sharks not to look at that and the business model and to see whether they can make it work. When you look at the leverage that shared services could provide you, one brand is a very strong case for that sort of model."

Gorman's vision, which would be boosted by the club's property development, also includes the Wollongong region, and Gorman is adamant the Sharks would have to embrace the south coast in order to reach their potential as an A-League franchise.

It's understood the FFA are also keen to include the St George region in any potential expansion team involving the Sutherland Shire, which has long been regarded by Sydney FC as their backyard.

"The fundamental principle is to get the current 10 clubs strong, financially viable and sustainable, that's the FFA's focus right now and rightly so," Gorman said.

See your ad here
"But logically a third team in Sydney makes sense with our population base. If you're going to look at where that might be, there's only two possible corridors. There's the south-west of Sydney, and you have to have that debate over whether the Wanderers own that fertile ground or not. The other logical place is the Sutherland Shire with the largest registered player participation in the country, going down into the rich multicultural diversity of Wollongong.

"A perfect model for me would be the marriage of the rich history of football that both areas bring and the cultural diversity it brings, therefore you get the passion, pride, parochialism, love and respect for the game of football that just flows from that. I just see it as a logical extension. You need solid population bases to run professional sporting franchises. If you can broaden that population base under a brand, it makes a lot of sense."

Despite rejecting interest from the Penrith Panthers to purchase the Western Sydney Wanderers last year, Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop is open to interest from the Sharks given there are sporting organisations around the world that have enjoyed success with teams in multiple codes, like the Seattle Seahawks and Seattle Sounders in the NFL and MLS competitions.

"Expansion is not on our immediate agenda, but clearly we want to move to more than 10 teams," Gallop said.

"We will need to carefully consider not only the financial viability of any new franchise but the impact of that new franchise on the league as well as the existing clubs. The big metropolitan areas of Sydney and Melbourne currently have two clubs and whether a third club would work is something we will look at in great detail.

"It's too early to consider a joint venture with a club from another code but there are models around the world where it has worked."

Remondis Stadium, which is owned by the Sharks, is currently used about 12 times a season for NRL, costing the club $50,000 per match in maintenance and utilities, as well as another $70,000 in operational costs.

Gorman said it was important for the business to get the most out of the venue.

"If you own a venue today, you want content," Gorman said.

"You want other diverse revenue streams flowing around. You go to the greatest football clubs in the world, they've got hotels, retail and commercial, plus content. The venue the LA Galaxy use is used 275 times a year. To make stadiums viable, you always need content.

"We have seen a model with football and rugby league with the Hunter Sports Group. We probably learnt some positives and negatives with that we could do differently moving forward. With the learnings that are there, it will be interesting to hear the FFA's view on that over time."

Thought the Sharks were broke and the most likely NRL side in Sydney to merge/relocate??

Glad to see they wish to use the Tinkler model

plague
09-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Haha how's Member calling himself Captain Fantastic.
That's unreal.

belchardo
09-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Thought the Sharks were broke and the most likely NRL side in Sydney to merge/relocate??

Glad to see they wish to use the Tinkler model

I can see gormans plan. his duty is to keep his club alive, so I think his plan is:

1. collect underpants
2. ?
3. profit

wait, wait, wait, what I meant was:

1. set up a-league team
2. shut down poorly performing rugby league team
3. profit.

so Gorman is really an FFA plant.

MFKS
09-12-2014, 04:57 PM
I can see gormans plan. his duty is to keep his club alive, so I think his plan is:

1. collect underpants
2. ?
3. profit

wait, wait, wait, what I meant was:

1. set up a-league team
2. shut down poorly performing rugby league team
3. profit.

so Gorman is really an FFA plant.
Wonder if he will head hunting Middleby for a role:whistling:

MFKS
10-12-2014, 07:32 AM
FORMER Socceroo David Carney has been disciplined for telling a fan to ‘‘f - - k off’’ in an ugly exchange in the aftermath of the 3-1 loss to Wellington Phoenix at Hunter Stadium on Saturday.

The 31-year-old was hauled before Jets chief executive Robbie Middleby on Tuesday after the Newcastle Herald notified the club of a series of complaints the paper received regarding his actions.

Middleby told the Herald that the matter had been ‘‘dealt with internally’’ but declined to divulge any further details.

However, he did confirm that Carney would be available for the trip to take on Perth Glory on Friday night.

The Herald understands that Carney told a fan to ‘‘f - - k off’’ in response to allegedly being labelled a ‘‘f - - - ing disgrace’’ as he left the playing arena.

Fans, including children, had lined the fence waiting for autographs and heard the exchange.

‘‘David’s reaction was in response to criticism directed at him from a fan,’’ Middleby said.

‘‘It is disappointing for a fan to yell abuse at a player but we do not in any way condone David’s response.

‘‘He is very apologetic and we intend to get details of the children’s parents and send them a letter.’’

The Herald was told by two sources that Carney also said ‘‘f - - k off c - - -’’ to a squadron supporters group member in response to criticism for allegedly not stopping to sign autographs – claims that Middleby said the player rejected.

The loss to the Phoenix was the Jets’ fifth of the campaign and the fifth time they have given up a lead.

They sit in ninth place on four points without a win after nine rounds.

The horror start and the pressure associated with it boiled over at training on Tuesday.

Striker Edson Montano and left fullback Sam Gallagher had to be separated by teammates after a training pitch bust-up.

At one point the Ecuadorean had his hand around the throat of Gallagher after a heated confrontation during a competitive drill.

Towards the end of the session midfielder Zenon Caravella vented his frustration in an explosive outburst.

Tempers had cooled and relationships mended by the conclusion of the workout.

Jets assistant coach Clayton Zane said the tension-filled session was borne out of frustration and desire.

‘‘Results tell the tale,’’ he said.

‘‘We are not in a good place at the moment in terms of picking points up.

‘‘There is a lot more urgency and desire on the training pitch.

‘‘I think it is a good thing.

‘‘People want to be involved and they want to drag us out of the situation we are in.

‘‘That is exactly what we are after at training – high intensity and demanding more of each other.

‘‘The tempo needs to be lifted. We need to raise the bar at all levels, from the staff down through to the players.

‘‘It is our main training day. That is the day we want it to be the most competitive.’’

Zane said he felt for the fans but pleaded with them to stay strong.

‘‘There is a group of 23 players here who want to turn things around,’’ he said.

‘‘There is a staff that are fighting very hard to do it as well.

‘‘I know it is hard to stay patient but the message is maintain the support and the boys will do all they can to get out of this.’’

Glad to see these blokes show this much fight in training. When do we actually get to see it on the pitch

A.J.
10-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Kew rockin' some corn rows in the photos!

joel31
10-12-2014, 08:29 AM
You wonder why our team don't work well as a team?
Our team hates each other more than the opposition

Buddha
10-12-2014, 09:00 AM
That part about Carney not telling Body to **** off **** is a total lie, I was standing next to body when it damn well happened

MFKS
10-12-2014, 09:01 AM
That part about Carney not telling Body to **** off **** is a total lie, I was standing next to body when it damn well happened

So your saying the club is lying to the fans and this is a great big cover up??

pv4
10-12-2014, 09:20 AM
if fans were abusing carney solely due to his and the teams on-field performance, that is IMO too far. Particularly when I thought he was one of, if not, our best through this season. But if he was getting abused for not signing autographs - fair play, he deserves it.

What I hope doesn't happen is he begins (or continues?) to hate the fans, and becomes disheartened with the club. Because honestly, he's been one of our better players this season. I don't have the stats handy (cue Jeterpool) but I'd hazard a guess he's leading our assist board, maybe along with Griff (?).

Carney has copped a lot of criticism in his career, but IMO this season on the field for the Jerks is probably the least warranted he's deserved - he's been one of the best, in a gash team.

pv4
10-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Good to see a bit of fight from the boys, even if it was in training.

Hopefully this scrap wasn't over just electrical tape though :rof:

joel31
10-12-2014, 09:25 AM
if fans were abusing carney solely due to his and the teams on-field performance, that is IMO too far. Particularly when I thought he was one of, if not, our best through this season. But if he was getting abused for not signing autographs - fair play, he deserves it.

What I hope doesn't happen is he begins (or continues?) to hate the fans, and becomes disheartened with the club. Because honestly, he's been one of our better players this season. I don't have the stats handy (cue Jeterpool) but I'd hazard a guess he's leading our assist board, maybe along with Griff (?).

Carney has copped a lot of criticism in his career, but IMO this season on the field for the Jerks is probably the least warranted he's deserved - he's been one of the best, in a gash team.
I agree but just having a tantrum into the tunnel and abusing fans it not on no matter what they say to him

Grimario
10-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Good to see a bit of fight from the boys, even if it was in training.

Hopefully this scrap wasn't over just electrical tape though :rof:

Yeah, great to see a bit of infighting. Did us a heap of good last year when Regan and Biraz got into a bust up... almost made the top 6 after it!

BodyNovo
10-12-2014, 09:28 AM
in regards to carney;

my gripe was not only over his decision to sign autographs, it was the fact he walked straight up the tunnel at the end of the game.

i don't care if he was the best player on the field that day or all season. 9,500 people had just rocked up to see us lose again and while i don't get a kick out of a high five, selfie or an autograph i'm sure thousands of kids do around the whole stadium

sammydog
10-12-2014, 09:30 AM
I think swearing in front of kids isn't on, but I would love to know what was said to prompt his response.

Calling a conspiracy is one thing, but what was actually said from said Bay 60 member to prompt the response directed at the Squadron?

Disinterested Bystander
10-12-2014, 09:40 AM

Christ you type a lot of shit. You're like the forum's very own Craig Foster - head so far up your own arse in the self indulgent belief that you're the fount of all knowledge that you can't see that 99% of your drivel is complete crap.

Carney's immune from criticism because he's supposedly one of the Jets best? FMD, there's been a whole he'll of a lot more ineptitude in his attack and outright not giving a **** in defence than highlights from him. Even if he's been one of our best he's still been shit and deserves every bit of abuse he cops from the fans

pv4
10-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Yeah, great to see a bit of infighting. Did us a heap of good last year when Regan and Biraz got into a bust up... almost made the top 6 after it!

We can only dream..

#forever7th

WolfMan
10-12-2014, 10:07 AM

Can confirm. I was well within earshot

pv4
10-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Christ you type a lot of shit. You're like the forum's very own Craig Foster - head so far up your own arse in the self indulgent belief that you're the fount of all knowledge that you can't see that 99% of your drivel is complete crap.

Carney's immune from criticism because he's supposedly one of the Jets best? FMD, there's been a whole he'll of a lot more ineptitude in his attack and outright not giving a **** in defence than highlights from him. Even if he's been one of our best he's still been shit and deserves every bit of abuse he cops from the fans

I never said he was immune from criticism because he's one of the best. I said if he was sprayed at with "you're a fxxxing disgrace" solely because of his on-field performances, that's too far.

And I also think that if people are going to abuse players to their faces, that they should actually do it to the players who aren't pulling their weight at all - not the ones who have actually contributed to us getting the slim amount of points we've managed to muster so far this season.

You realise if we abuse the crap out of Carney, and he up and leaves, we'd be left with the guys who aren't even considered good enough to make this already poorly-performing team to start for us.

It honestly feels like if a large amount of supporters had their way, all our good players would leave us and we'd be left with an even worse team. I don't know about yall, but I'd rather attempt to support our good players so we even had the remote hope of getting a win before the season end.

Blackmac79
10-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Carney is rubbish. His crosses have been rubbish, his forward play has been selfish and rubbish. his shots have been rubbish. His attitude is rubbish. **** him.

Shape up or ship out.

hawk
10-12-2014, 10:26 AM
New Cronulla Sharks chief executive Lyall Gorman believes the club can own the next A-League franchise and says they could be ready for the 2017 season when the FFA is expected to expand the competition
Get fked NRL. We want nothing to do with your supporters, players or sh1t brand. Football has spent decades trying to build beyond you a**holes.

Aleague teams run on their own steam and above the grubs you are invloved with.

hausmann
10-12-2014, 11:03 AM
in regards to carney;

my gripe was not only over his decision to sign autographs, it was the fact he walked straight up the tunnel at the end of the game.

i don't care if he was the best player on the field that day or all season. 9,500 people had just rocked up to see us lose again and while i don't get a kick out of a high five, selfie or an autograph i'm sure thousands of kids do around the whole stadium

He's human too. People don't always do what they SHOULD do, especially during times of pressure and disappointment. I think this is an occasion where it would be best to acknowledge the mistake and forgive.

cobra23
10-12-2014, 11:29 AM

Why should fans abuse there own team anyway. you dont think the players dont feel like shit as it is. put yourself into there shoes, if i was carney i would have also jumped the fence and knocked out the bloke. just because they are professional footballers doesnt mean they are a brick wall and bounce off abuse thrown at them ( they are also human). shit like this is the number one reason why players go through depression or sometimes worse.
As a former player to go nearly halfway through the season without a win and playing in front of a high demanding community, i would be in a very difficult place right now.. SO LAY THE **** OFF THEM

Grimario
10-12-2014, 11:33 AM
You do realise that the abuse wasn't about his performance, it was the fact that he stormed off down the tunnel instead of acknowledging the nearly 10,000 chumps that showed up to watch that shitfest and continue to do so week after week after week?

BodyNovo
10-12-2014, 11:40 AM
[/B]

Why should fans abuse there own team anyway. you dont think the players dont feel like shit as it is. put yourself into there shoes, if i was carney i would have also jumped the fence and knocked out the bloke. just because they are professional footballers doesnt mean they are a brick wall and bounce off abuse thrown at them ( they are also human). shit like this is the number one reason why players go through depression or sometimes worse.
As a former player to go nearly halfway through the season without a win and playing in front of a high demanding community, i would be in a very difficult place right now.. SO LAY THE **** OFF THEM

so your saying that after failing to win 9 games in a row, players are allowed to walk off and not be held accountable for there performances from the fans who also pay their wages. maybe we should stand there and clap them as we

it be like me not meeting sales targets for 9 months in a row and the boss just patting me on the back saying its all ok.

if the player was called a disgrace by someone and he retorted back so be it, but did he expect to walk straight off the field without someone noticing

the fans are suffering just as much as the players, and in carneys case for 5 years longer than he has.

if fans don't hold the club accountable who will.

also along with grim it wasn't the performance that was the problem anyway

hausmann
10-12-2014, 11:50 AM

You can hold the club to account but it doesn't have to be straight after a game. It can be through a request via the "sub" committee that players stop to sign stuff for kids.

If you are confrontational, confrontation will inevitably come back at you sometimes. Maybe he was disappointed and just wanted to get away. I don't think its unreasonable for him to just want to get out of there if he was in a bad mood, which he obviously was.

10-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Just goes to show what a low point the club has reached when things like this happen.

BodyNovo
10-12-2014, 11:57 AM
You can hold the club to account but it doesn't have to be straight after a game. It can be through a request via the "sub" committee that players stop to sign stuff for kids.

If you are confrontational, confrontation will inevitably come back at you sometimes. Maybe he was disappointed and just wanted to get away. I don't think its unreasonable for him to just want to get out of there if he was in a bad mood, which he obviously was.

the fans are suffering just as much as the players, and in carneys case for 5 years longer than he has.

6 years we've been disappointed, not 9 games (obviously there have been bright moments in that time)

don't get me wrong the way he was approached by individuals may have been wrong the way to an extent but he is a proffessional

i get yelled at on the phone every now and than and i'm professional enough to know who the customer is and not yell back.

this situation would have not arisen had he just walked straight up the tunnel, individuals would have still be disappointed with what he did but not shocked and hurt by his retort,

sammydog
10-12-2014, 12:03 PM
What exactly did you say though, at least that provides some context to the response.

I'm not condoning swearing in front of kids, or at any fan, but I am interested to know exactly what was said.

hausmann
10-12-2014, 12:09 PM
6 years we've been disappointed, not 9 games (obviously there have been bright moments in that time)

don't get me wrong the way he was approached by individuals may have been wrong the way to an extent but he is a proffessional

i get yelled at on the phone every now and than and i'm professional enough to know who the customer is and not yell back.

this situation would have not arisen had he just walked straight up the tunnel, individuals would have still be disappointed with what he did but not shocked and hurt by his retort,

I just keep looking at the larger context which is that we have an owner who doesn't want the club and seems to be willing to let it run down into a pile of shit. We have a CEO that doesn't seem to know how to make the best of this bad situation or insulate everyone else from it. So everyone from there down has their own share in this pile of shit to deal with, including players and supporters. Very little good will come out of the club until it is sold, so what's the point in picking on an individual here or there?

Beeen
10-12-2014, 12:43 PM
What exactly did you say though, at least that provides some context to the response.

I'm not condoning swearing in front of kids, or at any fan, but I am interested to know exactly what was said.

"Remember how you cost us the Asian Cup David?"

Rocknerd
10-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Carney is rubbish. His crosses have been rubbish, his forward play has been selfish and rubbish. his shots have been rubbish. His attitude is rubbish. **** him.

Shape up or ship out.

You didn't mention the fact that he's completely one footed. I can't count how many times he's missed shooting opportunities and ****ed up crosses and simple passes because he's had to push the ball from his right to his left.
Just have a go with your right foot already ya clown.

cobra23
10-12-2014, 02:12 PM
so your saying that after failing to win 9 games in a row, players are allowed to walk off and not be held accountable for there performances from the fans who also pay their wages. maybe we should stand there and clap them as we

it be like me not meeting sales targets for 9 months in a row and the boss just patting me on the back saying its all ok.

if the player was called a disgrace by someone and he retorted back so be it, but did he expect to walk straight off the field without someone noticing

also along with grim it wasn't the performance that was the problem anyway

So reading the threads it sounds like you were the one who said something ???

if you were, who are you and what have you done in sport to make you such a critic, all you are is someone who is in the squadron who other kids and there familys see someone from the leading fan base of the jets give out abuse to players .. great way to try and promote more fans in the squadron.
and then wonder why that person who you abused didnt turn around and say hi mate, thanks for abusing me we just lost another game here is a handshake,autograph photo and then walks off happily singing down the sheds...

Grimario
10-12-2014, 02:21 PM
So, reading the threads, it sounds like David Carney was the one who said something back???

If he was, who is he and what has he done in sport to allow him to be such an abusive prick, all he is is someone who is a professional in the Jets who other kids and their familys see from the big name player of the jets giving out abuse to the fans... great way to try and promote more fans for the Jets in general. and then wonder why that person who was abused has no interest whatsoever in renewing their membership along with the massive bunch of others who are never coming back.

cobra23
10-12-2014, 02:25 PM
So, reading the threads, it sounds like David Carney was the one who said something back???

If he was, who is he and what has he done in sport to allow him to be such an abusive prick, all he is is someone who is a professional in the Jets who other kids and their familys see from the big name player of the jets giving out abuse to the fans... great way to try and promote more fans for the Jets in general. and then wonder why that person who was abused has no interest whatsoever in renewing their membership along with the massive bunch of others who are never coming back.

grim go and give ya mate body a full body rub, your missing my point you one eyed dick..
i dont rate the fact that carney said what he did..

Grimario
10-12-2014, 02:28 PM
grim go and give ya mate body a full body rub, your missing my point you one eyed dick..
i dont rate the fact that carney said what he did..

Never met Body, no idea who he is.

You are flat out abusing someone on the foz who called a player a disgrace for ignoring the kids hanging out to get autographs, the 10,000 fans who essentially pay his wages. If you think that deserves the abuse that Carney said what he did and stormed off then you need your head checked.

GazFish35
10-12-2014, 02:42 PM
So reading the threads it sounds like you were the one who said something ???

if you were, who are you and what have you done in sport to make you such a critic, all you are is someone who is in the squadron who other kids and there familys see someone from the leading fan base of the jets give out abuse to players .. great way to try and promote more fans in the squadron.
and then wonder why that person who you abused didnt turn around and say hi mate, thanks for abusing me we just lost another game here is a handshake,autograph photo and then walks off happily singing down the sheds...

I'm preparing a feast, where we all eat each other.

From what I've read, no abuse was thrown at Carney till after he swore.
the exchange started with carney being told that he should acknowledge the fans, not with him being abused by the fan who he then told to **** off.

theres a massive difference

Tommyjet
10-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Both parties in the wrong, leave the swearing out of it and it probably doesn't come to this. We are all frustrated but this is the worst time for it.

Frodo
10-12-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm preparing a feast, where we all eat each other.

From what I've read, no abuse was thrown at Carney till after he swore.
the exchange started with carney being told that he should acknowledge the fans, not with him being abused by the fan who he then told to **** off.

theres a massive difference

Any person with some common sense would know that a professional footballer with as much experience as Carney doesn't tell someone to "F*** off" after being politely asked to sign an autograph. Please get a grip! Something would've been said to set him off by a silly fan who just wanted to vent their frustrations at another loss.

Carney was/is an idiot for swearing at a fan no matter what the circumstances. He was especially stupid to do it within earshot of children. Hopefully he has apologized to the parents of the kids who were offended. However any adult who was offended by it needs to grow up a little. We live in/around/near Newcastle... swearing isn't uncommon. Everyone has turned probably turned around and told someone to "F*** off" a couple of times a month so you can't be too offended when a footballer does it.

If i was booed off the field i wouldn't want to sign any autographs and i'm happy he didn't want too. I hope he walked into the change room and they all had a go at each other and learnt from what went wrong so we can stop it happening.

The Dunster
10-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Nothing would have been said that kids wouldn't already have picked up from school or the interwebs.

The real issue are those honking tats Carney has. Seriously.

MFKS
10-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Real issue here to me is the lack of transparency with the punishment for Carney.

The club once again have basically closed ranks and refused to publicly announce the punishment he got if any.

Maybe precisely the reason no one has confidence in those running the club when they fail to publicly address the unprofessional behaviour of a bloke they employ to represent the club.

Contrast that with a well run club who would most likely make an example of the punishment public so as to reinforce the values they stand for and send a clear message to the rest of their squad staff about the standards required and repercussions for misbehaving

Lets not even touch on the fact that the player and CEO were former teammates and the whole matter could have even been swept under the rug

hawk
10-12-2014, 05:05 PM
So the nannies have kittens over the F bomb. More langauge in the playground. Its a grown up sport and rarely happens. Get some common sense. S**t happens

when results are not happening. Just be thankful it wasnt footy when another nrl player slap his misses. ffs precious.

MFKS
10-12-2014, 05:10 PM
So the nannies have kittens over the F bomb. More langhuege in the playground. Its a grown up sport and rarely happens. Get some common sense. S**t happens

when results are not happening. Just be thankful it wasnt footy when another nrl player slap his misses. ffs precious.

How the dimwits in the NRL behave is irrelevant. Footballers have a good role model image cause they are by and large better behaved than most sportsmen

The swearing is an issue. Carney has to bite his lip when he is walking off the park and act professionally . Stubbins to his credit cops much worse and takes it.

Jeterpool
10-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Real issue here to me is the lack of transparency with the punishment for Carney.

The club once again have basically closed ranks and refused to publicly announce the punishment he got if any.

Maybe precisely the reason no one has confidence in those running the club when they fail to publicly address the unprofessional behaviour of a bloke they employ to represent the club.

Contrast that with a well run club who would most likely make an example of the punishment public so as to reinforce the values they stand for and send a clear message to the rest of their squad staff about the standards required and repercussions for misbehaving

Lets not even touch on the fact that the player and CEO were former teammates and the whole matter could have even been swept under the rug

I disagree with you on this Member. It's between the employer and employee and does not need to be made public. I'd be pissed if I got hauled over the coals and everyone else in the workplace knew what my punishment was.

sammydog
10-12-2014, 05:19 PM
How the dimwits in the NRL behave is irrelevant. Footballers have a good role model image cause they are by and large better behaved than most sportsmen

The swearing is an issue. Carney has to bite his lip when he is walking off the park and act professionally . Stubbins to his credit cops much worse and takes it.

I disagree, any punishment is between the club and the player and shouldn't be in the public domain.

Thats how it should be in any work environment where someone is performance managed or punished. Its not the business of other employees, the public or customers.

To go public would be unprofessional. If the club had gone public with it, you'd have argued they shouldn't have.

My2BobsWorth
10-12-2014, 05:20 PM
I see a molehill. The biggest issue with swearing is the drunk arseholes in the stands.

pv4
10-12-2014, 05:21 PM
The biggest issue with swearing is the drunk arseholes in the stands.

Let us pray they don't spit on any of the players.

Grimario
10-12-2014, 05:25 PM
http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/article/reds-confirm-npl-participation/1mjcuneilnraj10nlb4jermzfo

Adelaide following the Jerks lead, 2 teams entering NPL next season.... one in senior comp (like our yoof) and one in U18.

My2BobsWorth
10-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Let us pray they don't spit on any of the players.

My thoughts exactly, God forbid.

Premy
10-12-2014, 05:31 PM
http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/article/reds-confirm-npl-participation/1mjcuneilnraj10nlb4jermzfo

Adelaide following the Jerks lead, 2 teams entering NPL next season.... one in senior comp (like our yoof) and one in U18.
Roar, Glory, Jets and Gypos had it this season
City, Tards and Reds next year
Smurfs and Wankers 2016

Phoenix already have a side in the ASB premiership as well.

Grimario
10-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Roar, Glory, Jets and Gypos had it this season
City, Tards and Reds next year
Smurfs and Wankers 2016

Phoenix already have a side in the ASB premiership as well.

We had it last season, right? Pioneers. Griff, E&C and getting yoof into NPL... the only good things we've done under Tinkler.

WolfMan
10-12-2014, 05:40 PM
I was there. Bodi didn't swear, he pointed toward the stands and asked Carney why he was slinking off down the tunnel and ignoring fans.

Carney let rip with "Fvck off, ya fat cvnt" (both heard and seen by myself, a good 12 metres from the tunnel)

I'm sure Bodi will agree when I say the tone in which he expressed his disappointment was heated, without being offensive to anyone (except perhaps Mr. Carney)

I can also understand the frustration that most/all players will be feeling straight after another poor result. I probably would have felt like doing the same as Carney (the tunnel walk, not the swearing).

plague
10-12-2014, 05:45 PM
You realise if we abuse the crap out of BEN KENNEDY, and he up and leaves, we'd be left with the guys who aren't even considered good enough to make this already poorly-performing team to start for us.

Well said mate.

Soz mate.

hawk
10-12-2014, 06:20 PM
I was there. Bodi didn't swear, he pointed toward the stands and asked Carney why he was slinking off down the tunnel and ignoring fans.

Carney let rip with "Fvck off, ya fat cvnt" (both heard and seen by myself, a good 12 metres from the tunnel)

I'm sure Bodi will agree when I say the tone in which he expressed his disappointment was heated, without being offensive to anyone (except perhaps Mr. Carney)

I can also understand the frustration that most/all players will be feeling straight after another poor result. I probably would have felt like doing the same as Carney (the tunnel walk, not the swearing).

Quite simple in this case init. Until retards decide to stick their fat beaks in and dream up other scenarios how the supporter started it.

Premy
10-12-2014, 06:23 PM
We had it last season, right? Pioneers. Griff, E&C and getting yoof into NPL... the only good things we've done under Tinkler.
Actually Gypos were the first with the Academy team playing in NSW state league 1 in 2012.
We entered youth into NPL in 2013 I'm pretty sure, happy to be corrected.
Part of the whole NPL revamp from FFA was to get A-League youth team's into the NPL some have done it sooner rather than later.

Phoenix always had a good relationship with Team Wellington in the ASB premiership but now this season Phoenix fielded there own team in the ASB premiership.

Buddha
10-12-2014, 07:30 PM
So your saying the club is lying to the fans and this is a great big cover up??

Yes because I was a direct witness to this, it wasn't even body that called him a disgrace, it was me. And for the same reason body vented his frustrations.

MFKS
10-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Yes because I was a direct witness to this, it wasn't even body that called him a disgrace, it was me. And for the same reason body vented his frustrations.

Does not surprise me. The lack of accountability at the club is reaching epic levels when the club won't take strong action against a player swearing at the fans.

How he is up for selection this week defies belief. A competent admin would have seen he was dropped from the squad and bullshit like this was not tolerated

The argument that he should not be publically punished is complete new age codswallop.
Dave Warner got publically exposed for off field discretions last Ashes in UK and was dropped and to his credit took it on board and has worked hard on his game and is reaping the rewards of knuckling down and making big personal contributions.
Competent admin has seen the situation dealt with so as to address the issue and set an example to his peers and Warner and done so to protect the future image of Cricket Australia and keeps the public sponsors happy that CA are on the front foot and pro active with player issues.

Yesterday Greg Bird copped it and had to front the press and the exposure of his weekend indiscretion. Today it is all over the paper

Contrast that to our inept club who sweep all issues under the rug deal with them in house in secrecy and then wonder why their fan base have no trust in them and they are on the nose with the community and sponsors

It is all about the culture of the club and the failings of management to adhere to values we want should have.

Birraz BK Griff Kew Peppz Kanta Neville all made the time to sign autographs and pose for photos. Why are they able to do it yet this bloke thinks he is above it all???

plague
10-12-2014, 09:03 PM
do we have any evidence to support Carneys argument of whether Bodi is or is not a ****?

I feel that Hamma chap is needed to confirm.

Could sway the case IMO.

Grimario
10-12-2014, 09:06 PM
do we have any evidence to support Carneys argument of whether Bodi is or is not a ****?

I feel that Hamma chap is needed to confirm.

Could sway the case IMO.

Based on cobranumbers suggestion of a full body rub, I think Body might well be a **** instead of a ****.

Premy
10-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Anyone seen Gardiner's tweet we?
Involving ownership story in tomorrow's Rag. Anyone know of what it could be?

plague
10-12-2014, 09:17 PM
Based on cobranumbers suggestion of a full body rub, I think Body might well be a **** instead of a ****.
The plot thickens. Body's silence is deafening.

MFKS
10-12-2014, 09:19 PM

**** I hope either Con's coming back or Griffs bought the club with some Aussie Loans mortgage

plague
10-12-2014, 09:20 PM

The Russians, headed by Venables.
Company is called 'deflection inc' they always pop up when clubs need to talk about something other than the shambles they are.

Premy
10-12-2014, 09:25 PM
What ever happens. We go back to Gold, make it happen who ever you are.

furns
10-12-2014, 09:43 PM
The Russians, headed by Venables.
Company is called 'deflection inc' they always pop up when clubs need to talk about something other than the shambles they are.I know this was meant in jest, but I would laugh my a*se off if the Russians swept in to take over after all the false dawns down the F3 regarding such takeover rumours

:lol:

hawk
10-12-2014, 09:44 PM

oh, that'd make you a buddah-pest in secos eyes. And serial if it happens again. kutgw

plague
10-12-2014, 09:46 PM
I know this was meant in jest, but I would laugh my a*se off if the Russians swept in to take over after all the false dawns down the F3 regarding such takeover rumours

:lol:

I don't jest Mr Furns you know that.
I, for one, welcome our new Siberian overlords.

hawk
10-12-2014, 09:55 PM
The big news is that, Stubbins is trying his 20th formation. 3 2 1 3 1

MFKS
10-12-2014, 09:59 PM
The big news is that, Stubbins is trying his 20th formation. 3 2 1 3 1

Hopefully he has noticed there is no pressure from his midfielders when not in possession to the bloke with the ball

Beeen
10-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Dundee United!? Da fuq...

furns
10-12-2014, 10:20 PM
discuss in ownership thread

GazFish35
10-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Any person with some common sense would know that a professional footballer with as much experience as Carney doesn't tell someone to "F*** off" after being politely asked to sign an autograph. Please get a grip! Something would've been said to set him off by a silly fan who just wanted to vent their frustrations at another loss.

I have a good grip on things and I've plenty of common sense.
Enough common sense to hear what two blokes at the incident have said, and since your post, confirmed further.

It was never suggested the fan was politely asking for an autograph.
Don't starting changing my words to suit your argument, we already have one bloke on here who does that.

What I was pointing out was that the abuse started after carney's reaction. And that that is a big difference to the suggestion that carney was abused by body first.

MFKS
11-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Don't starting changing my words to suit your argument, we already have one bloke on here who does that.

After a long period of thought on the subject I still have no idea who you are talking about :whistling:

GazFish35
11-12-2014, 08:26 AM
;)

Bon
11-12-2014, 10:02 AM
What ever happens. We go back to Gold, make it happen who ever you are.

This..

MFKS
11-12-2014, 10:29 AM
This..

Lets not get hasty here. I fully agree ****ing off the blue/red. I do have an alternate idea I would like to see be our home colours

Its called E & C.

Lets really go Old Skool and get some 1970's fashion happening

Bon
11-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Lets not get hasty here. I fully agree ****ing off the blue/red. I do have an alternate idea I would like to see be our home colours

Its called E & C.

Lets really go Old Skool and get some 1970's fashion happening

Only if it involves deep cutting v-necks with massive lapels..

GazFish35
11-12-2014, 10:42 AM
and flares

Grimario
11-12-2014, 10:49 AM
and flares

Have to get permission off RBB for those.

plague
11-12-2014, 11:10 AM
bumbags.

MFKS
11-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Only if it involves deep cutting v-necks with massive lapels..

Be kick arse if our home kits were actually made of old skool products like courdaroy or terrytowelling.

**** this new age breathable wet/dry cotton material that is the rage these days

Pico
11-12-2014, 01:09 PM
bumbags.

Leave Birras out of this.

joel31
11-12-2014, 02:18 PM
E&C and Gold as our kids. Those would be the days

parksey
11-12-2014, 03:14 PM
no red and blue is good.

gold was never good. ever.

pv4
11-12-2014, 03:26 PM
no red and blue is good.

gold was never good. ever.

Now I can see why you have a bad rep.

Home = e&c
Away = gold
Keepers = not yellow

Perfect

Ftr if the red and blue was red and navy blue, and we got a decent design and no back-cape like we do now, it would be far better.

belchardo
11-12-2014, 03:29 PM
E&C and Gold as our kids. Those would be the days

do we need to report your to DoCS? :)

parksey
11-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Now I can see why you have a bad rep.

Home = e&c
Away = gold
Keepers = not yellow

Perfect

Ftr if the red and blue was red and navy blue, and we got a decent design and no back-cape like we do now, it would be far better.

make the keeper's kit gold, or alternate the away kit between gold and e&c every few years. i'd be happy with that.

gold was absolutely horrendous as a home shirt and deep down everyone knows this.

plague
11-12-2014, 03:57 PM
make the keeper's kit gold,

This.
Make it long sleeve gold top and long gold pants.
Sex.

Our white kit with gold trim was the business back in the day.

pv4
11-12-2014, 04:15 PM
gold was absolutely horrendous as a home shirt and deep down everyone knows this.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/173/576/Wat8.jpg?1315930535

lquiquer
11-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Oh my god, our marketing director is a genius....:facepalm:
@NewcastleJetsFC: Jets Members can get a pie and beer combo for $10 at our 10-year anniversary match vs @AdelaideUnited! http://t.co/phLodo27LL #NTUA