PDA

View Full Version : Daily Australian News Thread 2014

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

leftrightout
11-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Oh my god, our marketing director is a genius....:facepalm:
@NewcastleJetsFC: Jets Members can get a pie and beer combo for $10 at our 10-year anniversary match vs @AdelaideUnited! http://t.co/phLodo27LL #NTUA

:pissup:

parksey
11-12-2014, 05:40 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/173/576/Wat8.jpg?1315930535

i know that fashion sense and good taste aren't exactly synonymous with newcastle jets fans, but surely the only reason people liked the gold kits was because they weren't "knights colours".

Beeen
11-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Oh my god, our marketing director is a genius....:facepalm:
@NewcastleJetsFC: Jets Members can get a pie and beer combo for $10 at our 10-year anniversary match vs @AdelaideUnited! http://t.co/phLodo27LL #NTUA

Pie and a mid-strength!

MFKS
12-12-2014, 07:34 AM
FORMER Newcastle Jets skipper Ruben Zadkovich says ‘‘changes need to be made’’ if his old club is to re-emerge as an A-League force after almost half a decade of mediocrity.

Speaking a day after it was revealed that Scottish Premier League outfit Dundee United had shown interest in buying the Jets from controversial owner Nathan Tinkler, Zadkovich told the Newcastle Herald that his ex-teammates were not solely to blame for what is shaping as another underwhelming season.

Having missed the play-offs for the past four campaigns, the Jets are second-last on the ladder, five points adrift of the top six, after only nine games.

Zadkovich, who played in 97 games but no finals for Newcastle between 2010 and last season, joined Perth at the start of this season and is set to play against the Jets for the first time in Friday night’s showdown at nib Stadium.

And while he said there would be ‘‘no mercy’’ on the pitch, he empathised with the men he once played alongside.

‘‘I just think that the players at Newcastle get the rough end of the stick, if you know what I mean,’’ he said.

‘‘There are a lot of issues with Newcastle as a club and the way everything is run, and you can see that the players don’t benefit very much.

‘‘I certainly feel for my old teammates, and seeing them down near the bottom of the league isn’t nice.

See your ad here
‘‘But I don’t think they can be held fully responsible, to be honest. There are some deeper issues.

‘‘Being at the club for four years and not making the finals, and now seeing where they are at the moment, obviously changes need to be made.

‘‘I’m not going to go into what I think they are, but you can just tell there are problems with the club.

‘‘And it’s really sad to see because those Newcastle fans and members, and even my ex-teammates, I feel for those guys.

‘‘They deserve better.’’

Zadkovich was contracted to the Jets for this season but secured a release to sign a two-year deal with Perth. He said Newcastle would always hold a special place in his heart but added: ‘‘I’m just glad to be out of there at the moment.

‘‘I worked my arse off there for four years and wanted nothing more than to see the club being successful, but it wasn’t to be.

‘‘Now I’ve been lucky enough to join up with Kenny Lowe’s crew over here in Perth and I’m loving it.

‘‘We’re on top of the league and we play in the FFA Cup final next week, so we’ve got a lot to look forward to and some big games ahead of us.’’

The 28-year-old midfielder was unaware of the reports that Dundee United had been linked to a possible takeover.

Zadkovich has played only three times this season because of injuries and suspensions and, after a few ‘‘niggles’’ at training this week, was not sure how much of a role he would play against the Jets.

He said Lowe had reassured him to be patient in treating his injuries because he would be a key man at the business end of proceedings.

Despite Newcastle’s lowly position on the ladder and dismal record in Perth, where they have lost eight consecutive games, Zadkovich said Perth would be wary.

‘‘They’ve got nothing to lose and I know from my time there that Newcastle are always capable of beating the top sides,’’ he said.

‘‘We beat the top sides, away from home, and we did that right throughout the four years I was there.

‘‘So we won’t be underestimating them.

‘‘They’ve got some good players and I know they’ve got some good guys there. Guys who want to win.

‘‘We have to be ruthless and show no mercy.

‘‘But after the game I’m looking forward to catching up with some of my old teammates and spending some time with them.’’

Wish he would actually lay the boot into the club and say what he thinks about what is wrong

Tommyjet
12-12-2014, 08:19 AM
More evidence

goaliepersempre
14-12-2014, 02:21 AM
Happy 1.3.1.2 ACAB day everyone!!!'n

Bremsstrahlung
15-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Foster Vs slater to kick off again.

joel31
16-12-2014, 12:35 PM
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2766939/time-to-go-back-to-basics-says-caravella/?cs=306

leftrightout
16-12-2014, 12:52 PM
Back to basics hey? as opposed to what we were doing... wait! does anyone actually know what we were doing?

pv4
16-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Basics like don't turn over possession when your defence is playing a high line and you're a deep lying midfielder against a team proven to be good on the counter.

Tommyjet
16-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Back to retirement is where Caravella needs to go, horrendously frustrating footballer

leftrightout
16-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Back to retirement is where Caravella needs to go, horrendously frustrating footballer

Scariest thing is, doesn't he run some kind of football school?

MFKS
16-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Scariest thing is, doesn't he run some kind of football school?

Yeah it is the circler program of football to give you a well rounded development.

hawk
17-12-2014, 10:48 PM
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2766939/time-to-go-back-to-basics-says-caravella/?cs=306

‘‘It is very easy to lose your enthusiasm and motivation because the season is not going as you want.

‘‘For individuals as well, and as a team, you just have to keep plugging along.

What's this plugging along or needing motivation crap. you're getting paid. You dont have to dig holes for a living.

Do your job by implementing anything it takes to win. I know we arent far off a win and have been quite competitive but lets try not giving up after 70 mins, its staring to look a bit embarrassing.

q-money
17-12-2014, 11:01 PM
lol at these goons on the herald that think caravella is the answer

if caravella is the answer then what on earth is the question ffs

hawk
17-12-2014, 11:54 PM

donut champion?

Buddha
18-12-2014, 01:03 AM

Do we have the most deluded fans on the planet?

Starting or bringing on Caravella is pretty much conceding defeat. It's like we are saying "we are ****ed so here we will make it easier for you guys to win"

Pico
18-12-2014, 08:12 AM

Name a footballer who performs the closest impersonation of a piece of road infrastructure?

Name a footballer who constantly performs 360 turns before passing?

Name a footballer who is more confident in passing backwards than forwards?

Name a footballer who is cheap enough that the jets can even sign them?

belchardo
18-12-2014, 08:56 AM
Name a footballer who performs the closest impersonation of a piece of road infrastructure?

most of our defence make a pretty good impersonation of traffic cones

Name a footballer who constantly performs 360 turns before passing?

got me there

Name a footballer who is more confident in passing backwards than forwards?

all of our wingers, defenders and midfielders

Name a footballer who is cheap enough that the jets can even sign them?

most of the current jets squad

belchardo
18-12-2014, 09:33 AM
The Football Federation of Australia is set to launch an investigation into alleged salary cap irregularities at Perth Glory covering the past three seasons. The review will also include a review of Perth's initial reporting of the current campaign.

Prompted by a Fairfax Media investigation into Perth Glory's salary cap declarations, Australian football's governing body will begin looking into the A-League club's accounts of past seasons after irregularities in their reporting were raised. It was revealed on Wednesday the league leaders and FFA Cup finalists had failed to declare player-agent fees, player accommodation and motor vehicle allowances in salary cap reports provided to the FFA.

The head of the A-League, Damien de Bohun, contacted the club on Wednesday to tell them of the FFA's actions.

"FFA has noted the allegations raised about Perth Glory and we've spoken to the club today," de Bohun said. "FFA is looking into these matters in line with the usual salary cap compliance practices."

The investigation threatens to overshadow Perth's best start to an A-League season, with the club sitting on top of the table after the first 10 games. Perth also reached the FFA Cup final, where they were defeated by Adelaide United on Tuesday night.

Pending findings, Perth could face disciplinary sanctions including but not limited to fines and point deductions.

At least $50,602 of player agent fees, mostly associated with standard contract negotiation work, was not represented on the 2012-13 A-League salary cap report submitted to the FFA on May 6,2013. Such payments are permitted but must be declared by the club in financial documents submitted throughout the course of the season.

Last season Perth Glory allocated numerous vehicles provided by sponsors and third parties to players. It is alleged the use fo the acrs may have been used as incentives to sign and retain players.

Perth also failed to declare accommodation costs provided by the club for some players throughout that period.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/64257713/ffa-to-investigate-perth-glory-over-salary-cap-records.html

plague
18-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Oh no.
Did you all just get that email about "10 reasons to come to the game on Friday".
Reason 1: you might see us win our first game of the year.

Legit, this club is so ****ing shite.

leftrightout
18-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Oh no.
Did you all just get that email about "10 reasons to come to the game on Friday".
Reason 1: you might see us win our first game of the year.

Legit, this club is so ****ing shite.

I wasn't going to go but i want that $2 wristband!

BodyNovo
18-12-2014, 09:41 AM
$10 beer and pie
or
free beer and dinner at christmas work party.

enjoy the pie guys

belchardo
18-12-2014, 09:56 AM
$10 for a cold dodgy pie and a midstrength beer! what a deal!

MFKS
18-12-2014, 10:13 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/64257713/ffa-to-investigate-perth-glory-over-salary-cap-records.html

**** No.

They will end up taking our rightful spot on the ladder and deny us the timber ware we are entitled and deserving of

MFKS
20-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Just like to point out that Griffo has a 100% record when leading the team this season.

If Stubbins had of done the right thing and given him the armband at the start of the season we would be 11 from 11 and on top of the ****ing league and assured of at least 6 spot by Xmas.

Griff is just a class act who inspires those around him to achieve.

FORZA GRIFFO

@****KEWGRIFF4CAPTAIN#

Jetmaster
20-12-2014, 12:12 PM
The most crucial part of our season was that last 15 mins - Griff wasn't on the park.

joel31
20-12-2014, 02:53 PM
"We are only at the first stages of becoming a powerhouse in this league."
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/12/20/stubbins-elated-jets-first-win

Couscous
20-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Smh. Watches Rocky to motivate himself. Things we're on the cusp of being a powerhouse. Or, even if he doesn't really think it, is stupid enough to say it publicly.

Stubbins out.

MFKS
20-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Book him in for a psyche test.

The poor bloke isn't shit he is just mentally crazy

belchardo
23-12-2014, 08:25 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-22/senate-to-vote-on-inquiry-into-unsuccessful-world-cup-2022-bid/5983756?section=sport

Possible senate inquiry into the world cup bid

Grimario
23-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Rejoice!

http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/article/jets-part-ways-with-jonny-steele/rv1q7o7ya3ao115hee2hrexka#uWqSUTBFRBP784Kp.99

MFKS
23-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Rejoice!

http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/article/jets-part-ways-with-jonny-steele/rv1q7o7ya3ao115hee2hrexka#uWqSUTBFRBP784Kp.99

Why is it time to rejoice??

A competent admin would have ****ed him off 6-8 weeks ago and signed someone else not let the situation drag on

Hang on we don't have competent admin. Carry On

Grimario
23-12-2014, 07:31 PM
The fact that it has finally happened is reason for rejoicing.

http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/article/reds-release-cassio/bwo8rtzrzkmt1pvchswzt92yh

This, not so much. Would have loved him years ago but at 35 and out for most of two seasons with injury, does not bode well, especially after Stubbins basically giving him a gobbie in an interview the other day.

weston
23-12-2014, 08:21 PM
I didn't know Casio was 35.

Old and (always?) injured?

It's like he's already signed.

la bazzle
23-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Still better then gallaway

Grimario
23-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Still better then gallaway

Said exactly the same elsewhere when discussing.

Tommyjet
23-12-2014, 08:47 PM

http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/article/reds-release-cassio/bwo8rtzrzkmt1pvchswzt92yh

This, not so much. Would have loved him years ago but at 35 and out for most of two seasons with injury, does not bode well, especially after Stubbins basically giving him a gobbie in an interview the other day.
Oh well I guess it'll mean we actually have a designated left back on the roster.

Footyhead
23-12-2014, 09:53 PM
I had a Casio once, darn thing stuffed up on me so much I threw it out

Grimario
23-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Even if he's broken, he'll still be right twice a year which is more than Gallaway.

hawk
23-12-2014, 11:54 PM

I doubt the punda would put in

Grimario
24-12-2014, 02:09 PM
This was missed yesterday...

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2783243/carney-knocks-back-interest-from-sydney-fc/

IN-FORM winger David Carney has shown faith in the Newcastle Jets by knocking back an expression of interest from Sydney FC.

Carney, the 30-year-old playmaker who has appeared in all 11 of Newcastle’s games this season, said he had been approached by a Sydney representative recently about the possibility of making a mid-season transfer.

‘‘They contacted me, but I’m happy at Newcastle,’’ Carney said.

‘‘I want to stay and give everything for the boys. We’ve not had a great start, and the last thing I want is to leave. I’m thankful for the interest, but my mind is fully on the Jets.’’

Raised in Campbelltown, Carney played 38 games for Sydney between 2005 and 2007 and was a key member of the ‘‘Bling FC’’ team who won the inaugural A-League championship.

‘‘I had great times at Sydney when I was there, but at the moment I’m really concentrating on Newcastle,’’ he said.

‘‘I’m happy here and enjoying my football. I’m hoping we can improve as a team, and my mind is on the Newcastle Jets.’’

Jets chief executive Robbie Middleby said Carney, who is under contract to Newcastle until the end of next season, had informed the club out of courtesy that he had been approached by Sydney but denied the former Socceroo had requested a release.

‘‘Dave came to us and said Sydney had been in contact, but he knocked it on the head straight away,’’ Middleby said.

‘‘He’s done the right thing by us. He informed us as soon as they contacted him, but he’s happy here in Newcastle and, from our point of view, he’s a required player.

‘‘It’s good that someone as influential as Dave is committed and wants to be at this club.’’

Asked if he was disappointed that Sydney had targeted a contracted Jets player, Middleby declined to comment, other than to say all clubs were looking at their rosters with the January transfer window looming.

The Jets announced on Tuesday night that they had released Carney’s former New York Red Bulls teammate Jonny Steele, who has been in the US for the past month after seeking compassionate leave.

One possible replacement for Steele, 34-year-old Adelaide left back Cassio, was released by the South Australian club on Tuesday after falling out with coach Josep Gombau.

Carney said he had not spoken to Steele since his departure.

‘‘He’s a good player,’’ Carney said. ‘‘He’s really aggressive and he worked hard and he would have been great for the team if he came back.

‘‘But I’m sure he’s got his reasons why he left and the club’s got their reasons. I wish him all the best. He’s a good lad.’’

Carney said Newcastle were aiming to carry the momentum from last week’s 2-1 win against Adelaide into Saturday’s clash with Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park.

‘‘Obviously getting the monkey off the back is important, but we know it’s a hard game coming up, so we’re not celebrating too much,’’ he said.

‘‘You can always come back down to earth pretty quickly, especially in the A-League . . . they [Melbourne] are a very good side.

‘‘But we’ve proved that we can beat one of the best in Adelaide, so hopefully we can do that against Melbourne.’’

Carney said Newcastle needed to retain the ball better against the Victory.

‘‘I think we got 36 per cent of possession [against Adelaide], so we need to be better at that,’’ he said. ‘‘The players know that.

‘‘We need to work on it. That’s probably why the players are cramping up at the end, because we’re putting all our work into defending. If we can get better at that, I think we’ve got the players to do well.’’

Striker Edson Montano is expected to play, despite being replaced against Adelaide with what appeared a serious calf injury. He trained strongly enough on Tuesday to suggest Phil Stubbins will be able to field an unchanged side.

Jeterpool
26-12-2014, 06:38 AM
http://m.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/jets-firming-as-likely-destination-for-wanderers-fullback-daniel-mullen/story-fnf85wvq-1227166627973

Came across this. Seems we're interested in Daniel Mullen.

Jeterpool
26-12-2014, 06:43 AM
This was missed yesterday...

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2783243/carney-knocks-back-interest-from-sydney-fc/

Good. I was critical of the rumours surrounding him and his commitment to the cause. He's come out and said he wants to stay so good on him

Jeterpool
26-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Foxsports podcast says there's going to be a few player out movements from the jets. One link is someone going to the Wanderers

anyone know anything?

MFKS
26-12-2014, 08:30 AM
Foxsports podcast says there's going to be a few player out movements from the jets. One link is someone going to the Wanderers

anyone know anything?

Fingers crossed Roundabout and Gallaway

If its Griff the club can get ****ed

plague
26-12-2014, 10:36 AM
I was always under the impression that clubs couldn't make offers to contracted players outside a transfer window.

Thomas477
26-12-2014, 10:58 AM
I was always under the impression that clubs couldn't make offers to contracted players outside a transfer window.

If the players are within the last 6 months of their contract, then the Bosman ruling applies.

If they're contracted further, than maybe the club could give permission for them to do so? You can organise transfers outside the windows in Football Manager, they won't happen until the window, but you could organise them.

MFKS
26-12-2014, 10:59 AM

Umm no they are not able to officially.

They though do talk to players/agents on the sly though. Only need to talk to agent and say we are interested in looking at bringing in your player ....... in January. We will be in touch at the time etc.
How can you police that??

The club though can give players permission to look elsewhere if they consent at any time and will also take approaches from time to time from rivals if need any examples just look at Goodwin Chapman Zads Ryan Griff and any other under contract Jets player Middleby lets go for nilch

MFKS
26-12-2014, 11:00 AM
If the players are within the last 6 months of their contract, then the Bosman ruling applies.

If they're contracted further, than maybe the club could give permission for them to do so? You can organise transfers outside the windows in Football Manager, they won't happen until the window, but you could organise them.

Bosman rule is part of European Law and has **** all to do with this country. We may though take the principles from it with player contracts but it has nothing to do with Australia

The Dunster
26-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Could Birraz be one of the players on the move ? I mean, how much longer will Covic be playing for WSW ?

Tommyjet
26-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Kalmar been released from melb city to wanderers on an injury replacement.

MFKS
26-12-2014, 01:21 PM
Kalmar been released from melb city to wanderers on an injury replacement.

Never understood how this bloke has kept the occupation of professional footballer on his tax return for as long as he has.

Plays one decent game a season where he looks the goods the rest of the time he does nothing and for some reason keeps getting employed.

See Isaka Cernak Nick Ward The Hoff et al

Pulling the wool over someone's eyes

Thomas477
26-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Bosman rule is part of European Law and has **** all to do with this country. We may though take the principles from it with player contracts but it has nothing to do with Australia

Meant the whole when you're in the last 6 months of your contract you can start to talk to other potential employers. That happens here.

Bremsstrahlung
26-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Never understood how this bloke has kept the occupation of professional footballer on his tax return for as long as he has.

Plays one decent game a season where he looks the goods the rest of the time he does nothing and for some reason keeps getting employed.

See Isaka Cernak Nick Ward The Hoff et al

Pulling the wool over someone's eyes

Same agent as Brad Jones?

Jetmaster
26-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Could Birraz be one of the players on the move ? I mean, how much longer will Covic be playing for WSW ?

Birraz being shopped to Serie C clubs by Big Vinnie...not much bargaining power as he is a second choice here.

Would be much better staying here fighting his way back to number one and then moving in July, but apparently isn't up for the fight and wants out.

MFKS
26-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Birraz being shopped to Serie C clubs by Big Vinnie...not much bargaining power as he is a second choice here.

Would be much better staying here fighting his way back to number one and then moving in July, but apparently isn't up for the fight and wants out.

Am hearing a fair bit of this about Birraz.

Anyone actually have a genuine sauce or are they just putting shit on the bloke as it seems the fashionable thing to do??

hawk
26-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Am hearing a fair bit of this about Birraz.

Anyone actually have a genuine sauce or are they just putting shit on the bloke as it seems the fashionable thing to do??

fashionable? lol. he has earned it.

borat
26-12-2014, 06:57 PM
From Nov 30 A-League players who are coming off contract at the end of the season can negotiate with other clubs.

It's in the CBA

plague
26-12-2014, 07:11 PM
From Nov 30 A-League players who are coming off contract at the end of the season can negotiate with other clubs.

It's in the CBA

cheers for clearing that up for me.

plague
26-12-2014, 07:13 PM
i dont know whats more horrible: Rubes' form since joining Perth, or Ned Zelic commentating games.

acutally its Zelic isnt it.god hes just awful. really ****ing awful.

weston
27-12-2014, 11:06 AM
I said the same thing about him. But than another time thought he was good. Than another shit. I think you have to be in the right mood to listen to Zelic.

joel31
27-12-2014, 11:21 AM
I was talking to a friend who played NSW PL and he said Ruben wasn't that good and was just a hack and he didn't know how he ever got an A-League contract

The Dunster
27-12-2014, 12:12 PM
I was talking to a friend who played NSW PL and he said Ruben wasn't that good and was just a hack and he didn't know how he ever got an A-League contract

Your friend knows as much about football as you do about science, methodology, and religion. Sweet **** all.

Your friend probably got him on a bad day. Besides that I know that when I'm up against useless khunts in the Political Thread I tend to take it easy on them - and I would suspect that Ruben might be the same during nothing trial games.

plague
27-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Besides that I know that when I'm up against useless khunts in the Political Thread I tend to take it easy on them - and I would suspect that Ruben might be the same during nothing trial games.

Who are you, Eminem in 8-Mile?

The Dunster
27-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Who are you, Eminem in 8-Mile?

Did he take the piss out of people with imaginary friends ?

plague
27-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Did he take the piss out of people with imaginary friends ?
Dunno, only watched the music video.
That's enough Slim Shady for my lifetime.

The Dunster
27-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Dunno, only watched the music video.
That's enough Slim Shady for my lifetime.

I agree.

Buddha
27-12-2014, 11:50 PM

You nearly had us there, until you said you had a friend

Thomas477
02-01-2015, 02:17 PM
The world game is saying we're looking at Mullen and Appiah from WSW.

Hardly inspiring signings, blokes that can't get any game time at the bottom placed team.

matty
02-01-2015, 02:29 PM
I wonder weather its a double trade for galloshit and someone else

MFKS
02-01-2015, 02:30 PM
I wonder weather its a double trade for galloshit and someone else

They couldn't possibly be that stupid to want two of our useless players could they??

matty
02-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Mate, ive seen worse things to happen. And with the compentency of our ceo I wouldnt put anything past them. I mean yeah mullen may sure up a lil bit of our defencive problem, but signing appiah as our last squad spot I think is a waste

hawk
02-01-2015, 02:43 PM
David Lowe: if you get the chance to go and see Japan train or play, do yourself a favour and get along to watch some high quality players.

Please dont. it will make our weekly viewing even more frustrating.

Maybe stubbs can take the boys up for some top coaching.

Pico
02-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Now it makes sense why WSW are willing to take Gallaway, they dump two players on us and only have to take one, they will save cash and get an extra squad spot freed, that's smart management of your limited squad size and salary budget.

Beeen
02-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Please dont. it will make our weekly viewing even more frustrating.

Maybe stubbs can take the boys up for some top coaching.

Anyone know where Palestine are training?

GazFish35
02-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Thread unstuck.

New daily news thread made for 2015.

Grimario
02-01-2015, 10:14 PM
R.i.p. 2014
2014-2014