PDA

View Full Version : Daily Australian News Thread 2014

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Bon
15-04-2014, 09:56 AM
I agree we will be sold, hopefully during the off season. The Jets are realistically one of the last assets he has that are worth ANY sort of value - 7th or not.

Have heard whispers.

http://gameofthronesfans.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/VARYS2.jpg

Jeterpool
15-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Have heard whispers.

Howard Webb?

plague
15-04-2014, 10:23 AM
The Jets are realistically one of the last assets he has that are worth ANY sort of value.

Except for, you know, the 400 odd million dollars sitting in his wife's trust in Hawaii.
He's clearing the business assets out to wind em up. Personally he's still got plenty of walk around money.
Don't cry for Tinks, he ok.

Jeterpool
15-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Except for, you know, the 400 odd million dollars sitting in his wife's trust in Hawaii.

Haven't they separated?

Don't worry - I promise I won't shed a tear.

Beeen
15-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Have heard whispers.

You shave your head mate? And......a eunuch?

militiamon
15-04-2014, 05:20 PM
He's clearing the business assets out to wind em up. Personally he's still got plenty of walk around money.

lol, exactly.

Also don't see the value in an asset that consistently loses ~$1 million every year, but what do I know.

Pico
15-04-2014, 06:46 PM
lol, exactly.

Also don't see the value in an asset that consistently loses ~$1 million every year, but what do I know.

The perceived value is that he can allegedly sell the club and keep the profits unlike the deal he has with the knights where every cent of profit (:roflz:) has to be reinvested in the club.

Only problem is who's willing to buy the jets, especially when you look at the positives like large membership base (only since the reduced memberships), good bunch of young players (debatable really, whats goodwin achieved here, Brown?, I don't think Birra is fazed about moving asap), Stadium lease deal :roflz:, Expert coaching staff?, History?, Consistent performances?

I think he's dreaming if he thinks he's going to get someone to stump up $5m for a regional team that is lucky to 1/3rd fill its stadium, with a green coaching staff, infant youth programs that have shown no real fruits yet (too early to tell if it will be successful) & limited potential in current contracted players for transfer.

Its not like city football groups grow on trees, and the major players would be looking for larger cities than Newcastle. You might get an asian based investor, or group but why would they choose to pay $5m for the jets, what exactly are they getting?

Raw Boned Youngster
16-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Whispers of some Indonesian group interested in buying the Jets

plague
16-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Haven't they separated?

Yes, which makes it even harder for anyone to get their mitts on his booty.
If you don't think there is a little bit of paper tucked away in a safe place detailing the structure of that trust then you are not watching closely enough.

Jetmaster
16-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Some of us older guys will remember the days of wiping your arse with newspaper....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlS-tzlCUAAYDFP.jpg

joel31
16-04-2014, 11:10 AM
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2219394/the-lowedown-a-league-or-b-grade/?cs=2439

THE LOWEDOWN: A-League or b-grade
By DAVID LOWE
April 14, 2014, 10:45 p.m.
TO save some work I really should keep a copy of my columns, particularly the ones that have followed the final round of the regular season, because let's be honest, it's a familiar story, isn't it?

For the fourth season in succession the Jets finished outside the top six, there would be a string of sevens next to their name in the form guide if they were racehorses, and a roller-coaster season came to a regulation - some would argue premature - end.

As Mark Bosnich and Robbie Slater are fond of reminding us: "The table doesn't lie." After 27 rounds, and despite several significant victories, the Jets haven't been consistent enough to make the finals.

Everyone will have a theory, the club will no doubt conduct an internal review, the experts will dissect the pros and cons, but I'm not convinced that anyone is too devastated by the events of the season.

Lots of what ifs, and we can beat anyones, a Golden Boot for Adam Taggart, a good victory to end the season, a fitting send-off for Michael Bridges, and we can all wander home reasonably happy, remarking wistfully "there's always next year".

And so there is, and not just for the Jets. But, in my opinion, it's that kind of attitude that pervades the A-League and, contrary to popular belief, isn't leading to improvement season by season.

Who would be willing to argue that the Wanderers, Mariners, Victory and Sydney FC are noticeably stronger, if any stronger at all, than they were last season?

Brisbane Roar have won the Premiers Plate by 10 points but have looked vulnerable to teams with discipline, organisation and pace on the break.

I enjoy watching them in full flight, but they are by no means untouchable.

Fox Sports commentator Andy Harper is a fan, but he answered my recent question - can Brisbane win the title if Thomas Broich is injured - with "probably not", which says a lot about the German's quality and just as much about the myth of system, style and structures.

Are Brisbane as good as two or three seasons ago?

Adelaide have improved, but is that because they have learned a system, or because a talented side and their coach have adapted and modified their playing style? Do they have the grunt and desire to complement their skill and win a title?

Would the current Adelaide side have beaten John Kosmina's team that included Travis Dodd, Fernando Rech, Ange Costanzo and co. from the A-League's formative years? Irrelevant, you might say, and unprovable, and that may be true, but it is relevant if we are to believe all the messages about improvement.

Melbourne Victory may yet go on to win this year's championship, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that their current side, playing with structure, set rotations and false No.9s, would have lived with the title-winning sides that featured a flying Archie Thompson, Danny Allsopp, Kevin Muscat himself, and the enigmatic Brazilian, Fred, to name a few.

Point being, that with no relegation or promotion there are not too many consequences for mediocre seasons, poor management, poor planning and such - except perhaps for a slight drop in the number of bums on seats.

Are we all happy with a league where every team can beat every other side without too much of a shock? The Mariners and the Victory, who finished third and fourth, both have negative goal differences, the Jets' was zero, and the Heart's, who finished last, was all of minus six.

The Jets have proven they could beat almost any side, anywhere, except Perth unfortunately and tellingly, and I'd back the last-placed Heart with real confidence against anyone if the games were played over 60 minutes, rather than 90.

While the salary cap ensures the sustainability of clubs, does it do so at the expense of improving the top level achievable in our domestic competition?

It's good for fantasy team managers and ensuring that nearly all teams are engaged in the playoff hunt until round 25 or 26, but has it made the standard better?

Believe it or not, I'm not old enough to remember the St George rugby league team that won 11 premierships in a row, but I wonder did everyone get bored with that, or did they drive opponents to improve and catch up? You'd hope it was the latter.

Competing with Barcelona and Real Madrid cannot have been easy over the past decade, but Atletico Madrid have lifted themselves to the semi-finals of the Champions League and the cusp of the league championship because they had to raise their level to compete.

Would it be so bad to have a big-spending team to loathe and berate, from this day forth until death do us part? Someone to sneer at, disrespect at every opportunity, who a victory against would provide the greatest thrill and joy of a season.

If that team were to be near unbeatable would it be so bad? Bayern Munich (reserves) lost their first game since the Royal bub was a twinkle in William's eye the other day, but there is nothing but admiration for their football.

When Sergio Aguero scored that famous late goal for Manchester City, and ended 41 years of trophy-less seasons, many rejoiced for them, but more still rejoiced in the fact that they had denied Manchester United in Fergie-time.

Is top-flight football the domain of sage financial sustainability and an even spread of talent, or of the most powerful clubs harnessing as much playing quality as they can muster, and saying to the opposition "see what you can do to compete"?

So back to the Jets, in particular, and a relatively blank canvas.

What is the strategy? Who is going to steer it? Is the car still in the garage waiting for a driver while others are way down the road with their plans for next season, and beyond.

Has Clayton Zane done enough to retain the job? If he doesn't, why will the next appointment be theoretically better?

The Jets are apparently going through a process to find the best candidate, but surely they should know by now?

Zane, to me, and I hope this doesn't sign his certificate of expulsion, has done a pretty decent job in terms of the football the Jets have played.

Would he be a better coach if Sydney had fallen over against Perth, and the Jets had then defied history and sneaked a win in a semi-final at Gosford against the Mariners?

I think we know the answer to that, but if that scenario had unfolded, we might be hailing him as some sort of messiah.

Whoever gets the coaching gig is starting behind the eight ball in terms of recruiting from the domestic talent pools.

Most players are now contracted for the upcoming year and beyond so if, as we expect, between five and seven players depart the club for a variety of reasons, the Jets are going to have to find some real overseas talent to make a telling difference.

It's a time for reflection, analysis, and yet always of hope. Will anything change, though, or will the fans just be happy to go to games in a largely jovial, convivial atmosphere, and have a pretty competitive mid-table team?

The time of due process has surely expired. Decisions need to be made now, hopefully for the right reasons, unhindered, or unaffected too much by financial considerations.

The hardcore will still turn up. Surely it's time to reward their loyalty with improvement in all aspects of the football club.

parksey
16-04-2014, 03:16 PM
makes some good points about the jets but there's also some serious shit talk when it comes to the development of the league.

it's like he went off on some different tangent and then realised he did so and had to wrap it all up somehow.

onya, lowey.

Grimario
16-04-2014, 03:24 PM
That's pretty much how all his articles go though, isn't it? He makes some good points but they are all over the shop, some never quite fleshed out and some just completely irrelevant to the rest of the article entirely.

pv4
16-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Also I don't believe he has mentioned that for the first time ever, all three Australian clubs competing in the ACL look likely to progress through the group stage.

I usually like Lowey's articles, and while I agree with some parts of that one I struggle to subscribe fully to it, particularly about the stuff not related to the Jerks, TBH.

Grimario
17-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Adelaide United FC is pleased to officially announce that Coach Josep Gombau has agreed to terms to extend his contract with the Reds until the 2016/17 Hyundai A-League season.

Gombau’s 2-year extension, which was finalised earlier today, comes on the cusp of the Reds’ participation in the 2013/14 finals series, is a clear message from the Adelaide United hierarchy of the regard held for the former Academy Coach at the Catalan giants, Barcelona.

Since Gombau commenced his tenure last year in mid-July, Adelaide United has being playing a style of football that has caught the attention of the entire A-League. He has also won the hearts of all football fans around the country, through his passion and commitment to the game.

Recently, the Spaniard was voted to lead the FOXTEL All Stars against Juventus at ANZ Stadium on 10 August 2014.

Adelaide United Chairman Greg Griffin stated that the club is clearly delighted to secure the services of Josep and his team with an extension of 2-years which will take him to the end 2016/17 Hyundai A-League season.

“This contract extension gives Josep and the club the opportunity to consolidate and build upon the work already undertaken this season. The entire playing squad and support staff have embraced the desire for Josep to extend his terms at the Adelaide United Football Club.”

Having brought his style of football to the Reds, Josep Gombau has expressed his delight for the extension.

“To make this project work, we need time, and with this time we will be able to produce and achieve this style of football.

“I want to say thank you to the club and to the fans for having confidence in me.

“This extension is also part of my players and I want to share this extension with them.

“I would also like to say thank you for the support to myself and my family, as we are very happy in Adelaide and are grateful to stay for another 3-years.”

The focus now turns to the Reds upcoming Sudden Death Final on Saturday night. The squad will depart tomorrow afternoon for Gosford, where they will take on Central Coast Mariners at Central Coast Stadium. Kick-Off is at 4.00pm ACDT.

Good news for honorary pissants like me.

parksey
17-04-2014, 03:27 PM
wouldn't be surprised if he's been sacked by this time next year

MFKS
17-04-2014, 06:47 PM
wouldn't be surprised if he's been sacked by this time next year

Agree the bloke is over rated. FFS one or 2 moments they created last Friday and the rest of the time they offered **** all.

Almost like watching gve and his shit

OmeletteDuFromage
18-04-2014, 12:38 AM
Wellington have signed Sunderland’s reserve team captain Spaniard Alejandro Gorrin. Looks to be a decent player.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/wellingtonphoenix/news-display/merrick-adds-more-spanish-flavour-to-midfield/89911

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6T5Fo7Gs_Y#t=113

Tommyjet
18-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Isn't bridges meant to be our version of greenacre with all his contacts in England.

hawk
18-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Wellington have signed Sunderland’s reserve team captain Spaniard Alejandro Gorrin. Looks to be a decent player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6T5Fo7Gs_Y#t=113

gotta check the goal at 2.01

also since when do hard nutter poms need an u21 premier league. getem in to the seniors or ressies

OmeletteDuFromage
18-04-2014, 02:50 PM
gotta check the goal at 2.01

also since when do hard nutter poms need an u21 premier league. getem in to the seniors or ressies

yeah, thats alejandro at 2:01

militiamon
18-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Isn't bridges meant to be our version of greenacre with all his contacts in England.

lol, something like that. Despite playing at the highest level in England for years at several clubs, I'm pretty sure the only thing he's ever done for us is give Harry a call.

Remo in.

(In case anyone mentions it, Bridges and Heskey didn't even know each other before Heskey came here)

MFKS
18-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Didn't they play England yoof team back in the day together???
Hardly makes them close though

Keep bashing bridges coz it saves me having to

Grimario
18-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Bloody hell :(

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20140418/west-ham-united-statement_2236884_3774196

West Ham United announce the sad news that forward Dylan Tombides has passed away at the age of 20 following his brave battle with cancer.
Dylan passed away on Friday morning with his family by his side having courageously fought the disease for three years after initially being diagnosed with testicular cancer in summer 2011.

He remained a regular visitor to Chadwell Heath throughout his treatment and his positive attitude and professional approach to his football and training always impressed and boosted his team-mates and coaches alike.

Dylan's amazing resilience and positivity saw him through months of surgery and chemotherapy, while his outstanding talent saw him make his first-team debut in a League Cup tie with Wigan Athletic at the Boleyn Ground in September 2012.

Away from the pitch, Dylan did a huge amount of work to raise awareness of male cancer, supporting the One for the Boys campaign at a number of high-profile events alongside the likes of Hollywood star Samuel L. Jackson, snooker star Jimmy White and fellow Australian Peter Andre.

Dylan was respected by everyone who knew him for his intelligent views on the game and his larger than life character. He was a loving son, amazing brother and well-respected member of the West Ham squad. He will be hugely missed by everyone who had the honour of knowing him.

His passing will be marked by a minute's applause ahead of Saturday's Barclays Premier League fixture with Crystal Palace at the Boleyn Ground. The Hammers' players will also wear black armbands in his memory.

The thoughts of everyone associated with the Club are with his parents Tracylee and Jim, brother Taylor, his family and friends at this sad time. The Club request that their privacy is now respected and they are allowed to grieve their much loved son and brother in peace.

militiamon
18-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Wait, seriously?!

That's horrible news :(

Grimario
18-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Was just a few months ago that he was back in the U20 side looking to resurrect his national team ambitions. ****ing hell :(

militiamon
18-04-2014, 11:09 PM
^ That's exactly what I remember reading, that he had just started making his comeback at West Ham this season following his recovery.

Huge, huge shock.
What an outstanding talent he was at that U17 tournament, and more importantly he seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

Bec
18-04-2014, 11:30 PM
sooo sad and sooo bloody young :(

weston
18-04-2014, 11:54 PM
I thought he was on the mend aswell. I thought he had beaten it. :( rip.

Tommyjet
19-04-2014, 06:42 AM
Very sad day for Australian football. I, like so many others, have followed his young career and health battles and there will be many with sad souls today.

joel31
19-04-2014, 07:48 AM
I thought I read he ws beginning to make a comeback but unfortunately not :(

pv4
19-04-2014, 09:10 AM
What shit news. Has hit me so hard

plague
19-04-2014, 11:04 AM
That seriously sucks. Sad, sad news.

Pico
19-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Bit of overall Jets club news, Coach, heskey & possible transfers, still no real detail though.

Arnold top target on Newcastle Jets radar

19 April 2014-SBS: Greg Prichard

Graham Arnold is favourite for the Newcastle Jets coaching job while Emile Heskey's status as the club's international marquee is almost certainly over.

The Jets would also look to keep interim coach Clayton Zane at the club, if he is overlooked for the position on a full-time basis.

This is all occuring with question marks over whether Nathan Tinkler, with his well-documented business issues, will continue as the owner of the Jets long-term.

At this stage there have been no concerns regarding cash flow. The World Game has spoken to several Jets players in recent weeks who all said they have continued to be paid on time.

TWG recently sought to put questions to Football Federation Australia CEO David Gallop regarding the future of the Jets, including: Have you asked for assurances regarding continued backing of the club by the Hunter Sports Group? What do you make of a recent newspaper report that Tinkler is trying to sell the club, possibly in Asia? And would the FFA step in to financially ensure the future of the Jets if its current ownership fell over without any new owners being in place?

FFA replied with a statement from an unnamed spokesperson, which read: "It’s business as usual for the Newcastle Jets as a member club of the Hyundai A-League. Like all clubs, there’s regular contact with FFA on a range of matters that affect the day-to-day running of a football club.

"FFA is satisfied that the Jets management are well advanced with planning for the off-season activities and Season 10 in 2014/15."

Newcastle had already interviewed three outside candidates for the coaching job before Arnold became available after his recent split with J-League club Vegalta Sendai.

Jets management itself made contact with Arnold and has scheduled further discussions with. An overnight report that Arnold had rejected strong interest from Perth Glory only makes Newcastle seem a more likely vehicle for the one-time Socceroos boss.

Although tt remains to be seen whether Sydney FC makes another play for Arnold, with Frank Farina no certainty to be in charge at the Sky Blues next season.

Zane, who replaced Gary van Egmond mid-season and narrowly missed taking the club to the A-League finals series, has a history of coaching at the Jets going back to the club's youth league and W-League teams.

TWG understands that while Zane remains an option for the coaching job next year, the priority aim of the Jets is to install a more experienced coach who would also be prepared to mentor the highly-regarded former Socceroos striker for a possible future move to the top job.

Newcastle is currently conducting its end-of-season review and Zane would obviously have input into that.

The club is keen to appoint a coach as soon as is practically possible because of decisions that need to be made regarding player retention and recruitment. The new coach's input would be regarded as critical to those decisions.

The Jets have 17 players signed for next season, which means the club has room for up to another six.

Outstanding young striker Adam Taggart, who finished the season clearly on top of the competition goal-scoring list with 16, has been linked with a move overseas.

Taggart is contracted to the Jets next season, but TWG has been told the club would not attempt to stand in the way of a young player keen to try his luck on a foreign stage.

The versatile Josh Brillante and goalkeeper Mark Birighitti are also understood to be possibilities for overseas moves.

The most likely relationship between Heskey and the Jets in the future would involve the former England international striker filling an ambassadorial role on behalf of the club, although a short stint as a guest player is apparently a possibility as well.

Heskey is 36 and has had an injury-interrupted second season with the Jets. However, he finished the season strongly, working well in combinations with Taggart and Joel Griffiths.

Heskey is extremely well-liked and respected within the club because of the support and encouragement he has given other players and the positive image he presents on behalf of the club to existing and potential sponsors.

But he is on a marquee salary and the club has several other important decisions to make with the money available to spend.

TWG has been told Heskey understands the situation. Whether he plays for another club in some other part of the world remains to be seen, but the Jets are keen to have him remain associated with the club beyond his playing days there.
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1187186/Arnold-top-target-on-Newcastle-Jets-radar

militiamon
19-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as it stands, Bridges and Deans both hold the title of "Assistant coach", and surely Zane would want to at least be made an assistant if he were to be demoted.

If a new coach is brought in, then at least one of Deans, Bridges, or Zane needs to be sacked, probably more. That's not even taking into account the fact that a new coach might want his own assistant.

Tommyjet
19-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Correct although deans can probably be demoted to women's coach if not sacked

Tommyjet
19-04-2014, 04:25 PM
My bet at this stage is bridges assistant and youth team coach, zane first assistant to Arnold. If so we may well have not so up and down season next

Grimario
19-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Surely one will be bumped off to NYL next season, other two will help with first team duties.

Preferably Bridges to NYL, if he is serious about coaching, he needs to actually do it and not just hang around someone else doing it for a few years.

Alternatively, DEANS OUT.

Pico
19-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Surely one will be bumped off to NYL next season, other two will help with first team duties.

Preferably Bridges to NYL, if he is serious about coaching, he needs to actually do it and not just hang around someone else doing it for a few years.

Alternatively, DEANS OUT.

Perhaps bridges or deans will be shifted over to the emerging jets, bridges makes more sense, can start small with the emerging jets, all the while he can easily fit in his media work and getting his coaching certification so he can then step up to the NYL.

I still think Arnold will go to sydney though.

militiamon
19-04-2014, 04:45 PM
What about Pascoe's current role as youth team coach? Is that just temporary or what? Seems like he always pops up in our youth set up, but he's been around in his latest stint for at least a 4 or 5 months now (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

In any case, the whole coaching structure has been a mess for years now. If I were I certain CEO I would be sorting this out right now...

Thomas477
19-04-2014, 05:18 PM
But that's not the CEO's role though at the Jets. The CEO is there to play football manager all day and let HSG run the club.

Grimario
19-04-2014, 05:21 PM
If that's all it takes... where can I submit a job application?

Pico
19-04-2014, 05:30 PM
What about Pascoe's current role as youth team coach? Is that just temporary or what? Seems like he always pops up in our youth set up, but he's been around in his latest stint for at least a 4 or 5 months now (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

In any case, the whole coaching structure has been a mess for years now. If I were I certain CEO I would be sorting this out right now...
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that pascoe was only a part time assistant youth coach with the jets and that with his role at hunter sports high he didn't want the full time gig, blokes just been left holding the reins with the constant disruption's with the youth league coach chopping and changing every year.

http://m.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastle-jets-news-display/JETS-INSIDER--Clayton-Zane/89049/5

militiamon
19-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Cheers Pico.
I wonder who the full-time youth coach was then? The Member should be able to confirm this, but Pascoe was definitely acting youth coach for a good number of the NYL fixtures this season.

Middleby out.

Thomas477
19-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Wasn't it inZane?

Jeterpool
19-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Wasn't it inZane?

Cheers Pico.
I wonder who the full-time youth coach was then? The Member should be able to confirm this, but Pascoe was definitely acting youth coach for a good number of the NYL fixtures this season.

Middleby out.

Yes it was Zane.

MFKS
19-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Cheers Pico.

Middleby out.

Zane was the coach until GVE got arsed and Zane got the top job.

The club under the reigns of Middleby appointed Deans to the job.

For some reason Deans was always on the bench at HAL games when it coincided with Yoof games so wasn't doing it on those days.

Deans was also nowhere to be seen when the HAL commitments weren't happening and it was left to Pascoe to hold the reigns.

Needless to say who was the dumb **** who appointed Deans to the role and never made him do it

AFTER four points from its last 18 available in the A-League, Newcastle Jets has agreed with Gary Van Egmond to a 'mutual termination' of his contract, in a move aimed at ending the club's mid-season slump and reigniting their A-League playoff hopes.

After a 'mutual termination' Former Socceroo striker Clayton Zane will be handed the job in a caretaker capacity for the rest of the season.

Zane is the current Jets youth grade coach.

Craig Deans will remain as an assistant coach while also taking on the role of National Youth League coach for the remainder of the season.
"After not qualifying for the A-League Finals Series for the last three years, this is a vitally important season for the Club and both parties, the Club and Gary agree team requires a new voice and direction to take us forward," Jets CEO Robbie Middleby said in a statement on Monday.

"Gary has made a significant and lasting contribution to the Jets, winning a Championship in his first term as manager and now, helping to put together a squad of some of the best emerging talent in Australia."

It's understood a meeting planned to discuss the coaching job did not go ahead but a source close to the Jets camp confirmed Van Egmond will be replaced immediately.

It's a massive show of faith in Zane, who just two seasons ago was in charge of the Jets women's team in the W-League before taking on the club's youth team role for the first time last season.

Prior to that, he did some junior coaching in England at Queens Park Rangers after ending a playing career that saw him capped 14 times for Australia.

"In Clayton, we have an ex-Socceroo who has played at a high level in Europe and is a talented young coach," Middleby said.

"Our youth team is currently enjoying its best season to date in the NYL, sitting in second in the competition.

"We have confidence that Clayton will bring a new perspective to take the team forward this year and battle for Finals qualification."

It's understood Jets management will take their time to find a full-time coaching replacement for next season.

Speculation about Van Egmond's future has been rife for months but it's understood Jets officials had planned on waiting until the end of season when his current contract expires before replacing him.

But the team's poor recent form forced a re-think with the team's insipid 3-1 loss to A-League cellar-dwellers Melbourne Heart on Friday night seen as the final straw.

It was the Heart's first A-League win in 20 games but it was the lack of desire shown by the Jets players after they had led 1-0 rather than the result itself that has seen club officials react.

It's understood Van Egmond is "off" with a number of players and sources within the club claim it's his lack of man-management skills rather than his tactical coaching nous that has led to his sacking.

While they remain in the play-offs mix, the Jets have been on the slide for several weeks, winning just one of their past six games and they have only one competition point to show from their past four encounters.

Van Egmond's departure ends his second stint as Jets coach.

His career highlight came at the end of the 2007-2008 season when he led the Jets to an A-League grandfinal win over Central Coast.

But major success has eluded him ever since.

After quitting the club in 2009 to take up a coaching appointment at the Australian Institute of Sport, he returned just prior to the start of the 2011-12 season after the Jets sacked then coach Branko Cullina.

But the club has not figured in the play-offs since.

Remarkably given today's announcement, Van Egmond may not be lost to the club altogether.

He is considered a front-runner to head the club's Emerging Jets junior program in the vacant technical director's role if he wants the job.

militiamon
19-04-2014, 10:54 PM
MFKS has nailed it.

But fear not Member, this was all Palmer's evil doing.
I'm sure he forced Middleby into simultaneously appointing Deans as Youth and Assistant coach.
Palmer must have also fixed it so that Deans never actually attended any NYL games in his role as coach.

Praise Middleby!

plague
19-04-2014, 10:58 PM
MFKS has nailed it.

But fear not Member, this was all Palmer's evil doing.
I'm sure he forced Middleby into simultaneously appointing Deans as Youth and Assistant coach.
Palmer must have also fixed it so that Deans never actually attended any NYL games in his role as coach.

Praise Middleby!

You need to stop picking on him. It's not constructive.

MFKS
19-04-2014, 11:38 PM
You need to stop picking on him. It's not constructive.

Firstly the 60 odd pages of the GVE out thread proved to be constructive eventually before the bullet was fired:whistling::grin:

Seriously would love to know why you have changed your tune on Middleby seeing as you were the president of the Middleby out movement until you abdicated the throne.

Please PM me with your reasons and I will not divulge them

Your backflip on this has me intrigued as to why

plague
19-04-2014, 11:46 PM
Seriously would love to know why you have changed your tune on Middleby seeing as you were the president of the Middleby out movement until you abdicated the throne.

Please PM me with your reasons and I will not divulge them

Your backflip on this has me intrigued as to why

No need for PM's.
Reason is simple, everything bad that ever happens to our club is Troy Palmers fault (or so I'm told).
Only the good bits are Middleby. He's the only GM in the country with a 100% success rate on the big decisions.

Did you also know that 9/11 was a Govt conspiracy?
HOW DID BUILDING 7 FALL DOWN WHEN NO PLANE HIT IT??????

Read more about it here
www.imastupidhead.org

Grimario
20-04-2014, 12:44 AM
Sif click on links. That definitely goes to lemonparty

Grimario
20-04-2014, 12:44 AM
On a more sombre note, West Ham have retired #38

hawk
21-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Sif click on links. That definitely goes to lemonparty

waste of time, is on everyone's favourites bar anyway.

Jeterpool
22-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Mention of Nick Carle to Newcastle in this article:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/nicky-carles-agent-insists-player-is-going-nowhere-despite-row-fallout-with-frank-farina/story-e6frf4h3-1226890671387

And also this.... ha ha ha ha ha ha!! We thought we were bad...though I may live to regret this post, I doubt it.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/kenny-lowe-is-set-to-be-appointed-as-perth-glorys-coach-after-taking-over-during-the-aleague-season/story-e6frf4gl-1226891809543

Thomas477
22-04-2014, 12:55 PM
I don't believe the Carle one, why do we need a playmaker?

MFKS
22-04-2014, 06:00 PM
For the first time, Melbourne Victory members can ‘make their mark’ on a playing shirt as part of the club's 10 year anniversary next season.

The Club has developed a member shirt for the 2014/15 season, which will form part of a match dedicated to our members.

To pay tribute to the rich history of the club, we have gone back to our roots and based the design around our first ever kit, one that also brought the club its first Championship in 2007. But that is not the most exciting part... we are offering members the chance to have their name printed on the front of the shirt!

Not only will you receive your own personalised shirt, the shirt design will be worn by the team in our dedicated member match in the 2014/15 Hyundai A-League season where it will be on show for all to see. There are a limited number of up to 700 places available on the shirt, so you must act quickly for your chance to be written into Melbourne Victory's history.

We are going to offer this opportunity to our inaugural members first. If all spots are not snapped up by our longest serving members, the club will then offer the opportunity to other members based on their membership loyalty level.

The 10-year member anniversary shirt will go on sale for $399 at the beginning of next week, with information being sent to inaugural members via email. Keep your eyes on your inbox for the on-sale announcement and order information.

The shirt will not be available in-store, this is an exclusive opportunity to write your way into Melbourne Victory’s history.

Preparation: Please be aware that we need six months to prepare the design, manufacture and ship this shirt, so therefore are looking to finalise all member names by mid-May.

Wonder if Heart Smurfs etc would get a whip around and get the right to put something written on the Victree shirt.

hawk
22-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Why do Perth managers always look like bums. incredible.

halo se7en
22-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Gloryboys forum would surely be imploding today.

militiamon
22-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Jaw dropped a little when I saw Perth had signed Lowe on as their full-time manager.

Like, wtf?

OmeletteDuFromage
22-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Heart did the exact same thing a few seasons ago. I remember cause I asked a mate if his name was on it.

lquiquer
23-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Sounds like Farina gooonski

Massive A-League news just in! RT @RichBaylissFOX: CONFIRMED: Sydney FC sack coach Frank Farina. #foxfootball #Aleague

lquiquer
23-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Yep
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/sydneyfc/news-display/Sydney-FC-Statement-On-Mr-Frank-Farina/90061

Grimario
23-04-2014, 04:31 PM
I know the Arnold rumour to Sydney will lift even more now... but the bloke thrives on the COMPLETE lack of pressure. Turned down Sheffield United when he was rumoured to be the #1 candidate because they would have demanded promotion, booted out of Japan because being rubbish and getting relegated means something, bottled it with Australia. He won't end up at Sydney because Sydney FC demand success.

He will end up here because 6/10 is good enough for us. It's all that we aspire to and it's why we deserve the former Gypo overlord as our next manager.

MFKS
23-04-2014, 04:35 PM
I know the Arnold rumour to Sydney will lift even more now... but the bloke thrives on the COMPLETE lack of pressure. Turned down Sheffield United when he was rumoured to be the #1 candidate because they would have demanded promotion, booted out of Japan because being rubbish and getting relegated means something, bottled it with Australia. He won't end up at Sydney because Sydney FC demand success.

He will end up here because 6/10 is good enough for us. It's all that we aspire to and it's why we deserve the former Gypo overlord as our next manager.

**** that hurts to read that cause it is so true!!!

Actually hoping Sydney can pinch another of our targeted signings for once.

Can't actually stomach the possible reality of this bloke in charge of our club even if he was to guarantee success.

Go Sydney

Grimario
23-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Watch us end up with Farina.

Thomas477
23-04-2014, 05:00 PM
Watch us end up with Farina.

This. We've had a head start with Arnie, now watch us toss that away so that Sydney get their man.

hawk
23-04-2014, 05:43 PM
might as well draw up the sign for the plane to tow, "farina out". he's worse then gve

Grimario
23-04-2014, 05:47 PM
We can only hope that being closer to the wineries means he gets on the plonk more and has his contract terminated for rocking up to training one day off his face.

Actually... that would probably make him more appealing to your average Jerks fan.

Jeterpool
23-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Sydney are a joke

MFKS
23-04-2014, 05:54 PM
We can only hope that being closer to the wineries means he gets on the plonk more and has his contract terminated for rocking up to training one day off his face.

Actually... that would probably make him more appealing to your average Jerks fan.

HSG also have plenty of indepth experience dealing with DUI matters with their other sporting team keeping them busy

lquiquer
23-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Farina OUT

q-money
23-04-2014, 11:37 PM
here's a good larf, lynch on the good smack again

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/shooting-stars-so-often-fizzle-out-20140422-zqxsw.html

As young players jockey to stake their claim as late selections for Ange Postecoglou's World Cup squad, it must be remembered that a precocious talent does not always translate into a productive, lengthy career.

A-League hopefuls such as Adam Taggart, the Newcastle Jets striker, Brisbane midfielder Luke Brattan and longshot Osama Malik, the Adelaide defender, have all been touted as potential bolters for Brazil, as have the likes of Swindon's Massimo Luongo (a Socceroo debutant against Ecuador in March), the little-known Bailey Wright, a defender at Preston North End, and strikers Mitchell Duke and Tommi Juric (blooded by Holger Osieck in the East Asian Cup last year but not sighted at Socceroo level since).

It would not be a shock if one or more of those were on the plane, even if only to be squad members to make up the numbers during training sessions.

But there is no guarantee that any will go on to have meaningful careers in the green and gold even if they do get to Vittoria, the Socceroos Brazilian base. For every one who makes it in the game, there are many who don't and that sense of unfulfilled potential was something I was reminded of in the most graphic way when I watched Melbourne Victory training ahead of its semi-final clash with Sydney FC last Friday.

There, on the sidelines, clutching his young daughter, stood a man who many believed would by now have been playing at a high level in Europe and running midfield operations for the national team.

Kristian Sarkies is an older but necessarily much wiser man these days to that cheeky 16-year-old who burst on to the local soccer scene in the dying days of the old National Soccer league when then South Melbourne coach Stuart Munro gave him his debut.

Last week he was looking on as his brother-in-law Leigh Broxham, a stalwart in navy blue for the past decade, and a handful of remaining Victory players from his time at the club were being put through their paces before what turned out to be a dramatic win over Sydney.

There was no hint of bitterness or anger in the now 27-year-old's voice as he held his child and watched, although he could not have been blamed for wondering what might have been but for injury and ill-fortune.

For Sarkies was one of a handful of shooting stars who emerged about a decade ago and were expected to become key men in the Australian game, but somehow didn't.

''It's just how things went,'' he said. ''I'm now playing for Goulburn Valley Suns in the National Premier League Victoria and working as a fitness trainer. That was all a long time ago now.''

There were some dramatic highpoints early in a career of such immense promise.

When he was only 19 Sarkies was brought by Guus Hiddink, the then Socceroo coach, to the team's training camp in Holland and then Germany ahead of the 2006 World Cup.

He was one of four players brought along to train with the seniors in the hope and expectation that they would become regulars on the national scene in the seasons to come. The others were Neil Kilkenny (currently a midfielder with Preston in England's League One), Stuart Musialik, who has faded from the A-League picture after several seasons with Newcastle and Sydney, and Kaz Patafta, another who has disappeared from football's mainstream after spells with Melbourne Victory and Newcastle following his return from Benfica, where he went as a teenager.

The fate of those four shows how all the promise in the world does not bring the certainty of success: of the quartet only Kilkenny is still playing at a serious level and only he went on to have any sort of international career, having played 14 times for the national team including in the 2011 Asian Cup final. However, he has not been involved in recent times and has rarely been mentioned as a prospective World Cup player.

Of those three ''wasted'' talents Sarkies is perhaps the one Australia could do with most now. A player of genuine skill and with an attacking bent, he was, at his best, a dynamic midfielder who could score goals and support the strikers.

He notched a memorable strike in Melbourne Victory's grand final 6-0 rout of Adelaide United and gained a measure of notoriety as a 20-year-old when, in the post-match presentation, he planted a kiss on the balding pate of Prime Minister John Howard. It was a moment that people recall more than his goal - a sumptuous strike to complete Adelaide's humiliation.

It all seemed a world away for the young man who stood on the sidelines looking just like another fan with his child the other day.

And it was, but it shows how thin the line between success and failure can be. A series of injuries early in his career cruelled his prospects, and while he played for both Melbourne Heart and Adelaide in the A-League after his time at Victory he was never the same player.

Still, at least Sarkies now has a sense of perspective, is a father and has the chance to go on and make a mark through the rest of his life.

That opportunity was denied another talented young Australian, Dylan Tombides, who died from cancer on Good Friday in a London hospital.

The Perth-born youngster, who was on West Ham's books, had played for the Australian Under 22 team as recently as January.

His death is another reminder of the fragility of life and the randomness with which good health and success can quickly turn to tragedy. The tributes for Tombides have been plentiful and heartfelt. This was an unfulfilled talent of the most heartwrenching kind.

Of those three ''wasted'' talents Sarkies is perhaps the one Australia could do with most now. A player of genuine skill and with an attacking bent, he was, at his best, a dynamic midfielder who could score goals and support the strikers.

looooooooooool

militiamon
24-04-2014, 12:17 AM
:roflz:

Forgot about how good Neil Kilkenny is. Shame he ****ed up and moved from Leeds to Bristol a while back.
pv4, there is a player who would tear up the league if he were to return, especially if he ended up at Brisbane or MV.

parksey
24-04-2014, 02:14 PM
sarkies lol

Guerny
24-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Arnold-ponders-multi-year-Jets-deal (http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league/news/1187488/Arnold-ponders-multi-year-Jets-deal)

Interesting read... Tinkler confirms backing the Jets, wants the team to win more...

q-money
24-04-2014, 04:02 PM
any word if he wants to get a pool installed?

OmeletteDuFromage
24-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Just saw on Fox Sports News Arnold to Sydney

joel31
25-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Jets make offer to Graham Arnold amid sackings
By JOSH LEESON
April 24, 2014, 10:30 p.m.

THE Newcastle Jets have offered a multi-year deal to Graham Arnold to become their head coach, but Sydney FC and the New Zealand national team are also vying for the A-League winner’s signature.

The Jets yesterday sacked long-time assistant coach Craig Deans, goalkeeping mentor Bob Catlin and strength and conditioning coach Karl Dodd, adding to speculation the club is set to appoint someone other than interim coach Clayton Zane.

It is understood that, if Arnold takes the job, his staff could include Zane as assistant, former Socceroo Zeljko Kalac as goalkeeping coach and Andrew Clarke as performance manager.

The Herald revealed on Wednesday that Arnold was in Newcastle on Tuesday meeting with Jets officials.

The former Central Coast Mariners and Socceroos boss has become the hottest commodity on the coaching market since parting ways with J-League club Vegalta Sendai three months into a two-year deal.

It is understood Arnold has met with Jets officials on another occasion and is due to speak with New Zealand Football next week about the All Whites position.

There has been speculation the Jets would allow Arnold to coach the All Whites while coaching Newcastle.

Arnold is the favourite for the vacant Sydney FC job, but the Sky Blues are yet to table an official offer.

Deans could not be contacted for comment yesterday but is understood to be disappointed to have been sacked and with the manner of his dismissal.

Jets CEO Robbie Middleby did not reply to a text message from the Herald last night but said on the club’s website: ‘‘We thank Craig, Bob and Karl for their commitment and hard work during their time with the club. All have played an important role in the development of our team and players and we wish them all the best for their future careers.’’

Deans’s exit ends a decade-long association with Newcastle. The 39-year-old was born in Perth and played for the Glory and Carlton before joining Newcastle United for the final year of the National Soccer League.

The former centre half was a foundation member of the Jets, but his A-League career ended two games into the new competition due to a nerve condition known as foot drop.

He then worked in football operations at the Jets and was appointed as the inaugural youth team coach in 2008.

Popular with the players, Deans was thrust into the top job as a caretaker in October 2011 when Branko Culina was sacked by Nathan Tinkler just before the season kicked off.

He led the Jets briefly before Gary van Egmond was appointed but slipped down the pecking order when van Egmond was sacked in January.

Instead of being promoted again to the top job as caretaker, Deans was leapfrogged by youth team boss Zane and shared the assistant coaching role with Michael Bridges.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2240377/jets-make-offer-to-graham-arnold-amid-sackings/?cs=306

joel31
25-04-2014, 12:21 PM
main thing from it was it says he'll probs bring Kalac as GK Coach

GazFish35
25-04-2014, 01:03 PM
main thing from it was it says he'll probs bring Kalac as GK Coach

How will kalac do that?
He's broke.
He can't afford to move from Sydney and couldn't afford the petrol to drive each day.

furns
26-04-2014, 01:29 PM
I can hear the butthurt emanating from Gosford already.........

militiamon
26-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Kalac as goalkeeping coach...

Oh dear God...

GazFish35
26-04-2014, 02:48 PM
Wonder what odds you'd get?

And if zeljko would get on it.

belchardo
26-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Who did kalac have a blow up with at sydney?

militiamon
26-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Petratos wasn't it?

That's why he left and went to Brisbane where he has been killing it. wd Kalac.

GazFish35
26-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Must have been about a dodgy horse.

MFKS
26-04-2014, 04:35 PM

Oh dear God...

Precisely right Militia. Hard to say how good he is at his job though.

Janjetovic blows hot and cold most weeks and that may be down to Kalac , the circus at Smurfs or he just may well be inconsistent himself. Not a great gauge

The Dunster
26-04-2014, 05:55 PM
http://www.flixya.com/files-photo/u/s/a/usama2014-2459925.jpg

Spiders tip of the week. Looks a dead set certainty.

furns
26-04-2014, 06:01 PM

Oh dear God...
at least we will be shown on ACA

Retro Jet
26-04-2014, 09:46 PM
http://www.flixya.com/files-photo/u/s/a/usama2014-2459925.jpg

Spiders tip of the week. Looks a dead set certainty.

Looks like Daniel Beltrame has been riding that nag....bare back.

GazFish35
26-04-2014, 10:21 PM
That's dufflecoat supreme.

GazFish35
26-04-2014, 10:42 PM
at least we will be shown on ACA

Shame shame shame. How does he even have "the gall" to coach at another glamorous a-legaue club.
Why won't someone think of his bookies agent.

Thomas477
28-04-2014, 05:48 PM
ADP gone according to Ten News.

Thank **** that diving twat isn't playing in the league any more.

Wilso8948
28-04-2014, 07:31 PM

Deserve to be smacked in the mouth for such a disgraceful comment

Jeterpool
28-04-2014, 07:57 PM

While he had some negatives to his game they were far out weighed by the positives he has brought to the league.

By far the classiest player we have seen out here. I'm glad I was there to see him 4 times. He will be hard to top and he should be commended for the exposure he has given the code. We are in a better position because of him.

Thomas477
28-04-2014, 08:18 PM
While he had some negatives to his game they were far out weighed by the positives he has brought to the league.

By far the classiest player we have seen out here. I'm glad I was there to see him 4 times. He will be hard to top and he should be commended for the exposure he has given the code. We are in a better position because of him.

He did have class on the field, but moreso he will be remembered for his antics on the field. ffs, subbing himself without his manager saying so (yes it was farina, but you still don't disrespect your manager like that), him falling over every time he got touched. Off field, he was a complete success, just will be glad the commentators will have something else to talk about.

And **** off Wilso8948, he's not the bloody pope.

Jeterpool
28-04-2014, 08:26 PM
He did have class on the field, but moreso he will be remembered for his antics on the field. ffs, subbing himself without his manager saying so (yes it was farina, but you still don't disrespect your manager like that), him falling over every time he got touched. Off field, he was a complete success, just will be glad the commentators will have something else to talk about.

And **** off Wilso8948, he's not the bloody pope.

I agree re: the commentators. They can lavish praise on Broich more so now.

I guess you and is will remember him for different things, and that's fine

parksey
28-04-2014, 08:37 PM
adp was tremendous for the league. get a grip.

Thomas477
28-04-2014, 09:02 PM

I'm not doubting he was great for the league, just have to look at how he boosted Sydney's crowds, from 12,000 avg to 19,000 (although I'm interested to see how many will stick around)! However his on field conduct wasn't great. I respect him for what he's achieved, and his skill etc, but falling over every time he got touched, his continual bitching to referees etc, really diminished his appeal to me.

pv4
28-04-2014, 09:02 PM

Anyone who thinks otherwise deserves a good slap imo

hawk
28-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Anyone who thinks otherwise deserves a good slap imo

if thats on the ass pv you might get some knockers...:P

Pico
29-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Young eyes coach role with Jets

By JAMES GARDINER
April 28, 2014, 10 p.m.

NEIL Young made his name as a player at the Newcastle Jets. Now the luckless Perth-born former goalkeeper has his sights on returning to the club as a coach.

Young has expressed an interest in the goalkeeper coaching position which became vacant last week after Bob Catlin did not have his contract renewed. Assistant coach Craig Deans and performance manager Karl Dodd were also shown the door.

The decks were cleared in readiness for a new head coach.

Graham Arnold has been offered a multiyear deal and if he agrees will bring in his own staff. Andrew Clark is almost certain to take up the role of performance manager.

John Crawley, who is at the Mariners, is favoured for the goalkeeping position.

After retiring due to health issues, Young has been working with the Perth Glory keepers for the past two seasons.

In that time he has formed a strong relationship with Danny Vukovic, who played under Arnold at the Mariners and joined him for a loan stint in Japan. Young was told yesterday by management that the Glory were heading ‘‘in a new direction’’, leaving the 34-year-old without a job.

‘‘Kenny Lowe [coach] told me that if he was there I’d be there, but they now want to go in a new direction,’’ Young said.

‘‘There is not much I can do about it. I know I have enjoyed my role and want to continue in coaching.

‘‘Vuka sent me a text, saying it was his best season in six years and I was part responsible.

‘‘The Jets won’t make a decision until they finalise a head coach but with Bobby Catlin leaving there is an opportunity there.

‘‘I’ll send them my resume and have a chat with [chief executive] Robbie Middleby.’’

Young spent two seasons with the Jets from 2009-10. He started as the No.2 behind Ben Kennedy after he impressed in a one-month trial.

The Sorrento gloveman made his A-League debut in round 14 and played nine games before he was collected in the face by then Gold Coast striker Shane Smeltz.

Young sustained a broken nose that required surgery, but then suffered an adverse reaction to antibiotics that left him fighting for his life.

He spent months in hospital, including several weeks in intensive care, and had to endure several operations, including one to remove a large portion of his bowel.

He made it back on the field a year later for the Jets youth.

At the end of that season, he was approached by Perth and moved home.

However, his body struggled with the daily grind of training and he made the decision to move into coaching.

‘‘I did my C-license which is the minimum requirement for the A-League and am enrolled to do another course in July,’’ he said.

‘‘I’m super keen to pursue the coaching.

‘‘Newcastle fans are as passionate as any in the country. When I went back there with the Glory I was welcomed with open arms.

‘‘It has always been a home to me.’’

www.theherald.com.au/story/2245693/young-eyes-coach-role-with-jets/?cs=306

Crawley, Kalac & now Young looks like there might be more interest in the Keeper coach for us then the head coach.

Pico
29-04-2014, 08:20 AM
Adam Taggart wins 2014 Young Player of the Year, Golden Boot award

By JAMES GARDINER
April 28, 2014, 9:56 p.m.

JETS wonder boy Adam Taggart applied the finishing touches to a breakthrough A-League season on Monday night, adding the Young Player of the Year award to the Golden Boot.

Next for the 20-year-old striker is a place in the Socceroos preliminary squad for the World Cup followed by a contract overseas.

A fringe first-team player 12 months ago, Taggart seemingly has the world at his feet after claiming two of the major awards presented at a gala ceremony at Randwick Racecourse Ballroom on Monday night.

Roar import Thomas Broich created history by becoming the first player to win the Johnny Warren Medal, the players’ player award, for a second time.

The Roar dominated the awards. Mike Mulvey was named coach of the year and Tameka Butt claimed the Julie Dolan Medal as the W-League players’ player.

Taggart scored 16 goals, four clear of the next best, to win his first goal-scorers title and in the process set a new club record.

His haul of six goals in three games, including a hat-trick against the Melbourne Heart, earned the Perth-born attacker the November nomination for the Young Player of the Year.

Jets teammate Josh Brillante was among the other finalists which included Trent Sainsbury, Storm Roux, Dimitri Petratos and Terry Antonis.

Apart from an addition to an already bursting resume, Taggart received a $10,000 NAB personal investment portfolio.

’’It’s nice to get individual awards but it is normally a bonus on top of a successful season,’’ Taggart said.

’’It would have been a lot nicer had we made the finals and gone further than we had done in the past few years.’’

Taggart has a year to run on his contract at the Jets, but has made no secret of his desire for a move to Europe.

’’There have been lot of big conversations and we are getting to the nitty, gritty stuff,’’ he said.

’’It is getting closer and closer.

’’All those leagues are just finishing up, and that is when their real planning starts.

’’Hopefully I will know something in the next three or four weeks.

’’It would be good to ease my mind so I know what I’m doing - whether it is staying with the Jets or going overseas - but at the same time I am not in any rush.’’

Taggart has been linked to a move to Holland and on Monday confirmed that the Eredivisie was his preferred destination.

’’One of the main priorities for me is to be playing first-team football,’’ Taggart said.

’’I’m not expecting to go overseas and play straight away but you want to know that you will have an opportunity.

’’I have got used to the feeling of first-team football, playing week-in week-out and playing with the best players.

’’It would be so hard to go back and wait a long time.

’’Holland is a great destination. It is a real football country.

’’It is not the best league in the world but it is a good stepping stone going from Australia.

’’A lot of Australians have done well there. They seem to like Australians’ attitude and worth ethic. It would be a great place to go to.’’

The Jets wound up their season on Monday but Taggart, Brillante and keeper Mark Birighitti will continue training to ensure they are in good shape if named in a 30-man Socceroos squad on May 14.

’’I had a light week last week but am now back into it,’’ Taggart said.

’’If the opportunity comes to go into camp I want to be raring to go.

’’You can’t allow an opportunity like that to slip by.

’’You have to be doing everything you can. You never know who is going to get selected, and you never know what is going to happen with injuries.’’

The trio will work together as well as train with the Jets youth team.

’’We will do extras but it is not as beneficial if you are training by your self or in a group of three,’’ Taggart said.

’’With the youth team there is a team environment and you get game situations.’’

The Jets are scheduled to assemble for pre-season training in June.

Joel Griffiths, David Carney, Josh Mitchell, James Brown, Joey Gibbs and Nick Ward off contract at the end of next month

Griffiths and Carney have held preliminary talks with the club, but the remainder appear unlikely to be retained.

www.theherald.com.au/story/2245988/adam-taggart-wins-2014-young-player-of-the-year-golden-boot-award-photos/?cs=303

Without Taggs we are really going to need griff or we will be taking a hue gamble on someone who can be a consistent goal scorer for us next season. Sooooooo..... sign Griff already!

Thomas477
29-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Would love to have Youngy back here tbh. Showed a lot of passion and commitment to the club.

And sign Griff FFS.

pv4
29-04-2014, 08:43 AM
I watched Catlin run our keepers through things once and thought it was terrible. As much as I liked the idea of a former player being here and coaching, etc - he didn't seem up to it to me. And TBH Biraz was an amazing prospect before he came to us - what did Catlin actually do in terms of player development? Seemingly he's done nothing to BK, and who was this Solari bloke he brought in and is he doing anything of note? He looked sketchy when I watched him.

Crawley produces keepers. We need him. Also is ridiculously close to Arnold, and IMO we need Arnold to feel as home as he can be.

BodyNovo
29-04-2014, 09:23 AM
same could be said for kalac with janjetovic from sydney

he was a nothing goal keeper from the state league, and is probably one of the better keepers in the league.

if the rumors are true and vuka left perth and we picked him up you daresay youngy might have a chance.

The Dunster
29-04-2014, 12:30 PM
And TBH Biraz was an amazing prospect before he came to us - what did Catlin actually do in terms of player development? Crawley produces keepers. We need him. Also is ridiculously close to Arnold, and IMO we need Arnold to feel as home as he can be.

Amazing prospect ? Get off the drugs.
What had Biraz done before he arrived at the Jets ? He was a 2nd string keeper at Adelaide with very little game time.
Caitlin should have been sacked sooner for giving Biraz the nod over BK who as we have seen is the superior keeper.

pv4
29-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Amazing prospect ? Get off the drugs.
What had Biraz done before he arrived at the Jets ? He was a 2nd string keeper at Adelaide with very little game time.
Caitlin should have been sacked sooner for giving Biraz the nod over BK who as we have seen is the superior keeper.

I completely disagree with you there.

Biraz was rated so highly before coming to us. It was a real coup that we got him IMO! Adelaide fans genuinely believed the best two keepers in the entire competition were on their books at the time - which may not have been wrong.

Disregarding how "phased" he might be after an incident this year, he's still one of the best keepers in the league.

And please don't take my drugs away from me.

snake
29-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Would love to have Youngy back here tbh. Showed a lot of passion and commitment to the club.

And sign Griff FFS.

you mean, like BK?

Thomas477
29-04-2014, 01:55 PM
you mean, like BK?

Not to the extent of almost dying, no.

Premy
29-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Not to the extent of almost dying, no.
Would it pain you to say something positive about BK?

I don't think Caravella is up to standard for A-League but I could see that he was hungry and wanted to improve.

Also this might be taken the wrong way but Young would never of known that he was going to get a life threatening infection when he got kneed in the head by Smeltz. To say he put his life on the line for the club is a long stretch. Still would love to have Neil back was always class on and of the pitch.

The Dunster
29-04-2014, 04:29 PM
And please don't take my drugs away from me.

If Biraz gets another shot in goals with the Jets I'll be needing some drugs as well.

MFKS
29-04-2014, 05:13 PM
If Biraz gets another shot in goals with the Jets I'll be needing some drugs as well.

If Birraz doesn't leave in the off season both him and BK will start level pegging under a new coach.

That being said assuming Birraz works hard he will be No 1 as he is the better keeper.

You better find someone dealing then

plague
29-04-2014, 05:21 PM
You better find someone dealing then

Nice day outside huh?

Pico
30-04-2014, 08:16 AM
Graham Arnold keeps Jets waiting

By JAMES GARDINER
April 29, 2014, 10:30 p.m.

IN-demand coach Graham Arnold flies to Noosa today ‘‘for a break away from football’’ and is at least a week away from finalising his future.

The Jets have offered Arnold a long-term deal to take the reins, but the former Socceroos boss is also being pursued by Sydney FC and New Zealand Football.

The 50-year-old has met twice with Jets management in the past fortnight and was to have talks with the Kiwis this week. Those and other negotiations, at least in person, have been put on hold.

‘‘I’m going away with the family tomorrow to Noosa for a week,’’ Arnold told the Newcastle Herald yesterday.

‘‘I want to get away from footy, think over things and just have a break. My brain is a bit rattled at the moment.’’

Asked if talks with the Jets had stalled after he refused to meet a deadline of last Thursday, Arnold replied: ‘‘No’’

The championship-winning former Mariners boss has become the hottest commodity on the coaching market since leaving J-League club Vegalta Sendai three months into a two-year deal.

It is understood the Jets could allow Arnold to also coach the All Whites.

But there was speculation yesterday that the money on offer to coach Sydney FC was more than the Jets and All Whites jobs combined.

If Arnold accepts the Jets offer, it is anticipated Andrew Clark (performance co-ordinator) and possibly John Crawley (goalkeeper coach) will join him in Newcastle.

The impasse over the Arnold situation has left the Jets in a holding pattern.

The senior squad finished their commitments for the season on Monday and are not due to assemble for pre-season training until June.

Striker Emile Heskey has returned to England and is unlikely to return next season for more than a guest stint.

Senior duo Joel Griffiths and David Carney have held preliminary talks with chief executive Robbie Middleby and have also received interest from other clubs.

Josh Mitchell, James Brown, Joey Gibbs and Nick Ward are also off contract.

www.theherald.com.au/story/2248652/graham-arnold-keeps-jets-waiting/?cs=306

Sounds like arnie is waiting on SFC to finalise their offer, what happened to all the its a done deal, arnie to newy, they sacked their staff as arnie is signed. Looks like that was just one big negotiation gamble to show they were willing to change up the staff for his boys as he demanded. Can't wait to see the reaction when Zane is given the top job and PV4's boys goes to SFC.

GazFish35
30-04-2014, 08:51 AM
sacking the staff saves money too.
theyd be doing little at his point in time, why pay them.

tinks has mouths to feed. (mostly his)

great Jets negotiation...... heres a deadline........ there goes a deadline........ dopnmt worry about that deadline.
when he says no, imagine trying to start begotiations with someone else

Thomas477
30-04-2014, 09:08 AM
The longer this goes on, the more nervous I get.

If Middleby ****s this up, he has to go.

pv4
30-04-2014, 09:19 AM
great Jets negotiation...... heres a deadline........ there goes a deadline........ dopnmt worry about that deadline.
when he says no, imagine trying to start begotiations with someone else

Did the Jerks actually set a deadline though?

I thought Arnie was the one who, last week, said he was a week away (and now has added another week onto it).

I wouldn't be surprised if he has already signed with us but is delaying the announcement so he can have a break away from all the press/fanfare/players/etc till he's had his mini-holiday.

Blackmac79
30-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Pv4 on the money.

hawk
30-04-2014, 09:37 AM
No way is he delaying the announcement. we continue suck at landing our top notch staffers. If knob gobbler Arnold wanted the gig here he would have taken it already. serioulsy he's playing everyone so Sydney come up with the most $

Grimario
30-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Massive news.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/a-league-v-epl-tour-in-new-zealand-this-july/90212

A-League v EPL tour in New Zealand this July

The Wellington Phoenix will make history when they host two English Premier League sides in New Zealand for the first time in July 2014.

In a football extravaganza that will span the length of the country, sports fans will be able to experience a football event never seen before in this part of the world.

Westpac Stadium will be rocking when English Premier League clubs West Ham United and Newcastle United take part in a ground-breaking double header with the Wellington Phoenix and Australian glamour club Sydney FC in the Football United Tour 2014.

West Ham United and Newcastle United will play two exhibition matches at Wellington’s Westpac Stadium on 26 July, in matches arranged by the Wellington Phoenix with the support of the Wellington City Council.

Auckland and Dunedin will share in the festivities with games featuring the two English Premier League teams also being staged at Eden Park and Forsyth Barr Stadium.

It will be the first time in the Southern Hemisphere that two English Premier League clubs have played on the same ground on the same day.

Announcing the games today Wellington Phoenix Chairman Rob Morrison said he was delighted the club was hosting two such high profile teams.

“All of New Zealand will be able to be part of this unique sporting event, with Newcastle United journeying to Dunedin and West Ham United to Auckland, with both sides finishing their tour with the double-header in Wellington.”

Game one will feature Newcastle United playing Sydney FC at Dunedin’s Forsyth Barr Stadium on Tuesday July 22, kick off 7.30pm.

Game two sees West Ham United take on the Wellington Phoenix on Wednesday July 23, at Auckland’s Eden Park, kick off 7.30pm

The tour will then move to Wellington for a double-header on Saturday, July 26 where Sydney FC will take on West Ham and the Phoenix will play Newcastle United at Westpac Stadium.

Morrison said it was important to the Club that as many fans as possible could be part of this historic event.

“Ticket prices start at just $35 for adults and $16 for a child for the Westpac Stadium extravaganza on July 26” Morrison said.

Wellington Mayor Celia Wade-Brown said the event is especially exciting for the City and is part of the strong working relationship between the two organisations.

“The Wellington City Council is delighted to work with the Phoenix on bringing this great sporting contest to the Capital. Our stadium's location is ideally suited to a big match and ‘the beautiful game’ will be fully celebrated in a Football Festival for everybody,” she said.

“This spectacular event will draw football fans from around the country and across the Tasman”

No one is looking forward to the tour more than All Whites captain Winston Reid.

“I’m really excited to be bringing West Ham to New Zealand in July to play a bit of footy in the Football United Tour and show them how we do things in New Zealand!,” Reid said.

“New Zealand is a beautiful country full of great people and I’m sure all the West Ham players, staff and supporters who make the trip will have a fantastic time.

“Football is really on the up in both New Zealand and Australia and we are all looking forward to meeting all the fans and playing exciting matches against two leading Hyundai A-League clubs.”

Manager Sam Allardyce is also looking forward to bringing a team to New Zealand for the first time in his managerial career.

“We’ve been busy putting together the best pre-season preparation that I’ve had, and it’s great that we’re able to go to New Zealand as a key part of that,” Allardyce said.

“The tournament in New Zealand is particularly interesting, as it allows us to promote West Ham United and the Premier League over there.

“It’ll be great for our fans in the region to see us play.”

Newcastle United manager, Alan Pardew, said: “We are very much looking forward to being part of the Football United Tour and to training and playing at first class facilities in Dunedin and Wellington.

“Football has grown impressively in both New Zealand and Australia in recent years, with some excellent players and teams coming to the fore, so the Wellington Phoenix and Sydney FC fixtures will provide a good test for our players as we prepare them for next season.”

EPL Tour

Wellington Phoenix General Manager David Dome says the Tour isn’t just about what happens on the pitch.

“While that will be fantastic for the fans it is about more than that,” Dome said.

“Wellington will be hosting a ‘Festival of Football’ throughout the day in the capital,” Dome added.

“We want to create a weekend packed with entertainment, culture and sport revolving around the theme of football – a real family festival day out offering so much more for the fans and their families.”

“We anticipate tickets to the games will sell fast as this is a rare and exciting opportunity for football fans and their families throughout Australasia to be part of,” David Dome said.

Tickets for the Auckland and Wellington games go on sale to Phoenix Members from 30 April and on public sale from 19 May at Ticketek. Dunedin will be on sale 21 May. Details at www.wellingtonphoenix.com.

At A Glance

• Football United Tour 2014 featuring four great Clubs – Newcastle United, West Ham United, Wellington Phoenix FC, Sydney FC
• Newcastle United v Sydney FC, Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin, Tuesday July 22, 7.30pm
• Wellington Phoenix v West Ham United, Eden Park, Auckland, Wednesday July 23, 7.30pm
• Sydney FC v West Ham United and Wellington Phoenix v Newcastle United, Westpac Stadium Wellington, July 26. Kick off times to be confirmed.
• Tickets on sale to existing Wellington Phoenix FC members Wednesday 30 April with membership renewals.
• Tickets on sale to new Wellington Phoenix FC members from Monday 12 May
• Tickets on sale to general public Monday 19 May (Auckland & Wellington matches), Wednesday 21 May (Dunedin match),
• Adult ticket prices start from $35 for Phoenix members, $59 for general public with child tickets from $16 for members, $20 for general public.
• Tickets available through Ticketek for the Wellington and Auckland events, and TicketDirect for Dunedin.

plague
30-04-2014, 11:09 AM
I've only read journos setting deadlines. Nowt the club can do aboot that.

Why not wait, he's got all the leverage at the moment.
He's a former Gypo deciding between us and Sydney, he's going to cop shit regardless who he chooses, why not cop shit whilst driving a fancier car.

I hope Middleby can keep up his. 100% record on getting the big decisions right. Am sure he will.

joel31
30-04-2014, 12:51 PM
The longer this goes on, the more nervous I get.

If Middleby ****s this up, he has to go.
there are other good candidates. Albeit with less experience but aren't gypos

OmeletteDuFromage
30-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Holman retires from Socceroos.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/holman-retires-socceroos

joel31
30-04-2014, 02:35 PM
he was never going to play under Ange anyway

Premy
30-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Massive news.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/a-league-v-epl-tour-in-new-zealand-this-july/90212

A-League v EPL tour in New Zealand this July
Would like to see Newcastle United play a one off game here either before or after this, would be a marketers dream.

Grimario
30-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Would like to see Newcastle United play a one off game here either before or after this, would be a marketers dream.

I know, can you imagine it from their end...

"The team with the same name as ours"
"The team stupid enough to take Guy Bates off our books"
"The team that used to have a jersey just like us"

Premy
30-04-2014, 02:54 PM
I know, can you imagine it from their end...

"The team with the same name as ours"
"The team stupid enough to take Guy Bates off our books"
"The team that used to have a jersey just like us"

Gordie tabloids would go into overdrive with puns.

MFKS
30-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Holman retires from Socceroos.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/holman-retires-socceroos

Can't wait for Luca$h to announce his impending retirement

leftrightout
01-05-2014, 07:28 AM
It is a bit vague but says that they are starting to talk.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/indemand-coach-graham-arnold-in-discussions-with-sydney-fc-over-vacant-position/story-e6frf4gl-1226901361447

Jetmaster
01-05-2014, 08:21 AM
If Arnie takes up the SFC job it will finish him in this country - firstly, it is the poison chalice. The best local coaches - Branko, Farina, Kossie, Crooky have all been turned into basketcases at Sydney. Success came from foreign coaches.

Add to that, ADP will have some sort of influence whether it be on the coaching staff or not.

It is a cultural thing - Arnie won't take shit from anyone and that in itself would put doubts on his future if they have one of their bad patches.

plague
01-05-2014, 09:46 AM
A miserable prick coaching a bunch of useless pricks.

Match made in heaven IMO.

OmeletteDuFromage
01-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Jets pull out - http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Update-on-Head-Coach-position/90241

militiamon
01-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Great news

militiamon
01-05-2014, 11:22 AM
And we sacked half our coaching staff for him :rof:

Middleby'd :grin:

BodyNovo
01-05-2014, 11:24 AM
if we sign bridges, i will not renew my membership

and will be enjoying gary fishes wings at the tenz while watching it on tv.

Grimario
01-05-2014, 11:26 AM

Bridges or Zane then as the awesome coaching staff we have interviewed, right?

FMD.

Jeterpool
01-05-2014, 11:29 AM

I think they'd have gone regardless.

militiamon
01-05-2014, 11:38 AM
So, we haven't actually been looking at other coaches have we?
Apart from that bloke in Malaysia who no one had ever heard of before (and he already rejected us).

Edit: Grimario beat me to it

Thomas477
01-05-2014, 11:38 AM

This.

Grimario
01-05-2014, 11:41 AM
So, we haven't actually been looking at other coaches have we?
Apart from that bloke in Malaysia who no one had ever heard of before (and he already rejected us).

Edit: Grimario beat me to it

JG (not Lord griff) is saying the mail was that there were THREE experienced coaching staff interviewed as well as Zane. Assuming that means Arnold and Stewart, both who have rejected us then we only have one option. Or does it leave two options since Stewart didn't get interviewed?

Hope it was Okon and Papas as the other two...

militiamon
01-05-2014, 11:43 AM
I think they'd have gone regardless.

Really?

Karl Dodd was only brought in last season. I thought part of the reason he was signed in the first place was his connection to Middleby through Fury.
Catlin was brought in the season before that as well iirc. Was he really that bad, and who judged him to be so?
Deans had been earmarked as the next head coach by the club after Gary took over. The players loved him and he had worked with the club for a long time. Again, why the sudden change in attitude towards him?

Most important question now is - who are we bringing in to replace these people? I highly doubt the club has even considered anyone other than Arnold's boys.

pv4
01-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Purely a guess, but the name Phil Stubbins hasn't been mentioned on here for a long time..

Jeterpool
01-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Really?

Karl Dodd was only brought in last season. I thought part of the reason he was signed in the first place was his connection to Middleby through Fury.
Catlin was brought in the season before that as well iirc. Was he really that bad, and who judged him to be so?
Deans had been earmarked as the next head coach by the club after Gary took over. The players loved him and he had worked with the club for a long time. Again, why the sudden change in attitude towards him?

Most important question now is - who are we bringing in to replace these people? I highly doubt the club has even considered anyone other than Arnold's boys.

Yeah, I do think that they'd have still gone. Timing wasn't great and lead to presumptions about bringing in Arnie - i'll give you that. We've been stagnant for a long time so let's clear the decks.

If I was the club, I'd have tied all of their contracts to finish with Gary's, who also had his contract up at the end of the season. That way if we parted ways, as we have, the deck is clear for the new coach to assemble their own team.

Sometimes hard decisions have to be made and whether the players liked him or not, if he's part of why they aren't delivering on their targets or goals set then he should go.

The club openly said our goal is to make the Top 6. The employees they assigned to achieve that failed. Goal set, goal not met.

Jeterpool
01-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Purely a guess, but the name Phil Stubbins hasn't been mentioned on here for a long time..

No it hasn't. I wonder what he's up to...

la bazzle
01-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Mark jones spotted leaving jets office this morning

Bon
01-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Mark jones spotted leaving jets office this morning

Arrrgh fvck.. Not that prick..

lquiquer
01-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Prob no money so they will go with cheap option I guess

lquiquer
01-05-2014, 12:48 PM
What annoy me is fans always kept in the dark....Why not giving names of who we talk to, what kind of money available.......etc.......no fans / members don't need to know

lquiquer
01-05-2014, 12:50 PM
we'll prob end up with Osieck......he'll do it for cheap

pv4
01-05-2014, 12:52 PM
I love Jones personally, but as the head coach I have some issues:

- I see him having similar issues to Zane in terms of attracting players
- I'm led to believe he's been pretty unsuccessful with the CCM Academy stuff he's been doing. I'm not sure if there is a base to my thinking here, it's just what I'm led to believe and I haven't bothered to research further
- I have doubts over how much Zane would learn from him over the course of a few years in this whole "let's make Zane our future head coach"

But in saying that, he's local, used to be loved by the players and was around during our successful spell, has a head on him that I think would see him attempt to sign good players regardless of age etc, as opposed to the fluffing about like GVE did, etc.

The Dunster
01-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Arrrgh fvck.. Not that prick..

Why no luv for Mark Jones ? I don't know him personally, but from what I've seem at NYL, W-League, and State League games he seems to support the club at all levels.

MFKS
01-05-2014, 12:58 PM
What annoy me is fans always kept in the dark....Why not giving names of who we talk to, what kind of money available.......etc.......no fans / members don't need to know

I would rather we were kept in the dark on this matter until it is signed sealed and delivered.

That is the sign of a professional club.

Speculation is for us nutters who support this rabble and the media.

I actually want the surprise aspect of the club to announce we have signed x and then go **** we done good there

Bon
01-05-2014, 01:08 PM
Why no luv for Mark Jones ? I don't know him personally, but from what I've seem at NYL, W-League, and State League games he seems to support the club at all levels.

I won't go in to it (as I've been warned about saying things publicly on here about him before)..
Others on here know exactly why I feel/think the way I do..
I'd prefer my 101 year old grandma or PV4's brand new deck to be in charge of the team, rather than that scumbag Jones..

pv4
01-05-2014, 01:28 PM
PV4's brand new deck

:rof:

You should come over and help out building it m8. It's currently in the GVE philosophy implementation stage - a work in progress that needs more time (and seemingly, never ever gets results).

Pico
01-05-2014, 02:26 PM
But but Arnie’s a done deal, Flores is going to be our marquee, we sacked all those coaches.

I doubt he was ever really serious, we were just the fall back option. Bloke thought SFC would make their decision quicker than us, until they indicated otherwise, looks like he’s shot himself in the foot though. Will be so pleased to see SFC appoint Osieck or some other OS coach and Arnold can be left with nothing.

lquiquer
01-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Would Miron Bleiberg be a good candidate?

furns
01-05-2014, 02:32 PM
coaching discussion to the other thread please

q-money
01-05-2014, 03:29 PM
sack bridges

plague
01-05-2014, 06:08 PM

Yeah, let's feed the chickens.

Jeterpool
01-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Middleby on NBN

* Wouldn't go into the reasons why they pulled out of the Arnold race, but his long term committment to the club and ambitions weren't in the clubs best interest to pursue.

* Asked if Farina was a consideration. Simple answer was "No"

* Expected that the coach will be named next week.

GazFish35
01-05-2014, 07:41 PM
* Expected that the coach will be named next week.

I think in "coach contract" talk that translates to the "player injury" talk timeframe of 6-8 weeks.

Thomas477
01-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Glad Middleby ruled Farina out, he would have had a riot on his hands.

lquiquer
01-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Glad Middleby ruled Farina out, he would have had a riot on his hands.

He might have one with Bridgey.......

Raw Boned Youngster
01-05-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm hearing that, despite the comment today, Arnold is definitely still in the picture. Would say stay tuned for a back flip.

MFKS
01-05-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm hearing that, despite the comment today, Arnold is definitely still in the picture. Would say stay tuned for a back flip.

That would be typical Jets stuff.

Just when we feel we have been saved from a Gypo Overlord back he comes in via the back door parachute.

****ing joke

lquiquer
01-05-2014, 09:18 PM
That would be typical Jets stuff.

Just when we feel we have been saved from a Gypo Overlord back he comes in via the back door parachute.

****ing joke

Yeah ur sake MFKS.....won't happen

pv4
02-05-2014, 07:09 AM
if we sign bridges, i will not renew my membership

Will make the same pledge I made about if we re-signed Bridges as a player..

If we sign Bridges as our manager, I'll stop supporting the Jerks & will support CCM.

Inb4 "dream come true for you innit"

Jetmaster
02-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Love all the assumptions on here the last week or so....the facts are the Jets have talked to some candidates (one is Zane) and then talked to Arnold when he became available and never said he was the prime candidate.

Now the assumptions by the forum and the Herald are....coaching staff sacked in prep for Arnie, multi year deal offered, agreement to let him take on the All Whites job, Flores coming as marquee, Leicester City buying the club, Griff will sign on for Arnie blah, blah, blah.

The Jets haven't released any of this information, so we cannot be sure that any of the above is true.

I have some thoughts (of course, not based on fact)

The coach will not be Arnold - my gut feeling is that his head isn't right and he has no real idea what he wants to do, hence the holiday.

It won't be Bridgey - he isn't qualified, end of.

It won't be Zane - too inexperienced and if he was staying they would not have sacked the other staff who he knows well.

Next week is gonna be fun !

Pico
02-05-2014, 08:18 AM
Newcastle Jets stop chasing Graham Arnold, promise coach soon

By JOSH LEESON
May 1, 2014, 10:37 p.m.

JETS chief executive Robbie Middleby said an announcement was imminent on the vacant head coaching position after the club withdrew from talks with Graham Arnold.

The Jets announced yesterday that Arnold, an A-League winner with Central Coast, was no longer a candidate.

Arnold is now strongly tipped to replace Frank Farina at Sydney FC.

Middleby said that ‘‘out of respect’’ for Arnold he was unable to reveal why negotiations had broken down.

He denied Arnold was the Jets’ first choice.

‘‘I wouldn’t say he was the No.1 choice. I’d just say he was an impressive candidate like the rest of them,’’ he said.

‘‘It’s been going on for eight weeks now, the situation.

‘‘We’ve gone through the process, and when Graham became available, of course we wanted to meet with him and go through things.

‘‘We had two really good meetings, but we had to make a decision that it wasn’t going to be Graham.’’

Middleby promised Jets fans the right coach was among the four other candidates interviewed for the role.

‘‘We’ve interviewed some very good candidates and we are confident we’ve got the right person in there, and hopefully sooner rather than later an announcement will be made,’’ he said.

‘‘I’m not saying we definitely have gotten someone, but we’re very confident that one of the candidates that we’ve interviewed is the right person for the club.’’

One of those candidates is understood to be Clayton Zane, who served as interim coach from January after Gary van Egmond’s exit.

When asked if Zane was not the club’s preferred candidate, Middleby said: ‘‘At the moment I don’t want to put Clayton out of the mix.

‘‘I don’t want to come out and say, ‘He’s definitely not the one.’ As far as we’re concerned he’s going to be part of the coaching set-up.’’

Last week the Jets sacked long-time assistant coach Craig Deans, goalkeeping mentor Bob Caitlin and strength and conditioning boss Karl Dodd. It was a move many speculated was about clearing the decks for Arnold and his coaching team.

Middleby said replacements for those positions would be selected after the new head coach was appointed.

‘‘We’ve already spoken to the possible candidates about these roles within the club.

‘‘We want to, together with the head coach, decide on those positions, and we’ve been transparent to everyone that we’ve interviewed about what we need at the club and what staff is needed.

‘‘That decision will be made by the head coach in conjunction with the club in all those positions.’’

Player retention will be high on the coach’s agenda.

Veterans Joel Griffiths and David Carney have held talks with Middleby but are attracting interest from rival clubs. Josh Mitchell, James Brown, Joey Gibbs and Nick Ward are also off contract.

‘‘With the candidates we’ve had discussions about what players are off contract,’’ Middleby said. ‘‘So we’ve had an input with the certain coaches we have interviewed, and it’s a priority to either retain or let the players know they’re not required.

‘‘We’ve been transparent all the way along and always said to a player there are no guarantees.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2252687/newcastle-jets-stop-chasing-graham-arnold-promise-coach-soon/?cs=306

Seems our timeline is one of the most important things on the clubs mind at the moment, but I really can't see how waiting another week for their preferred candidate is too long.

Getting the feeling it definitely won't be Zane now and I can't accept that a partnership of bridges and Zane could ever appear as reasonable option to a competent management.

Hopefully this means that the quality of the other candidates stacks up to Arnold's, but I get the feeling that the club was not so keen on his asking price or perhaps his ideas of taking on both a club and national role and that's the reason they won't wait. After all it was Baartz who was so keen on Arnold last time, I doubt that would have changed.

Pico
02-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Newcastle Jets confirm theyhave pulled out of race to sign Graham Arnold as coach

Barry Toohey & Tom Smithies
The Daily Telegraph
May 01, 2014 10:00PM

HE was their first choice coach but in the end, it was the lack of any real commitment from Graham Arnold that left the Newcastle Jets feeling there was no option than to terminate negotiations with the former Socceroos assistant coach.

The Jets announced on Thursday they had officially withdrawn from the race to sign Arnold with Sydney FC now considered the favourite to snare him as coach.

It’s understood the former Central Coast Mariners coach was told of the Jets’ decision earlier this week with the club now pressing ahead and believed to be close to signing an alternate coaching candidate.

“Even before Graham became available, we were excited about the process we were going through from a coaching selection point of view and nothing has changed,” Jets CEO Robbie Middleby said on Thursday.

“People will be disappointed that Graham won’t be at the club but we certainly haven’t put all our eggs in the one basket and we’ll come up with the right person to lead the club forward.”

Middleby would not be drawn on why the club had ended the negotiations.

“Look, there were a number of factors that led to the decision we’ve made but out of respect for Graham, we are keeping the reasons confidential,” he said.

“I just wished him all the best when I let him know.”

Sources close to the club said Arnold’s refusal to make a firm commitment to the Jets was the major reason.

After meeting will him twice over the course of the past fortnight, the club eventually imposed a deadline of late last week for a decision on their offer which Arnold did not meet and by Monday morning, he still could not give them an answer.

“The Jets want a coach that is going to be 100 percent committed and there was a feeling he was stalling for time, waiting to see if and what Sydney comes up with first before making his mind up,” the source said.

“In the end, I think the Jets just got sick of waiting.”

On Thursday night Arnold’s agent, Tony Rallis said that his client and the Jets had had “different timelines” that could not be reconciled.

“Arnie is not in a situation to be rushed, he just wants to make the right decision,” Rallis said. “Newcastle had to move quickly, we respect that, and we wish them all the best.

“Graham is now on holiday, and I expect him to make some decisions when he returns.”

Again with the timeline, what's the rush...... unless Middleby knows something about the clubs future that has not been made public yet, is a week or two really that big of a time blow out. Its not like all of the Australian talent will be signed in the next fortnight.

It sounds more like Arnie will wait to make a decision until the Russian millionaire has put all his cash on the table.

pv4
02-05-2014, 08:36 AM
HSG needing to rush the decision makes zero sense to me.

Why did they not sack GVE at the end of 12/13, and why did they insist on persisting with him for the start of the 13/14 season? What was the whole "be in top four by end of 6-8 rounds" rumour, and why would they have such patience with a guy that was quite noticeably going to fail? And then to have so much patience with GVE, to not waiting an extra week (even when the competition hasn't fully finished!) for Arnold, makes zero sense to me. The only reason I can see the club "needing to rush the decision" is the likes of Griff & Carney etc have said appoint a head coach and tell me my future or I'll sign elsewhere.

One of those articles say that there were four other candidates interviewed. Darren Stewart was confirmed to not have interviewed, so the list would be something like:
1. Zane
2. Mark Jones
3. ?
4. ?

I'm hoping Bridges wasn't one of the question marks.

The interesting thing for me is the article said all the interviewed coaches had been talked to about plyers on/off contract, and indications of who to keep and who not to have been made by them. What interests me with this is it says to me that all the interviewed coaches know a bit about the HAL/Jets landscape, and probably know each & every player. Therefore, I'm assuming it's not a foreign coach ala Gombau as a guy like that would have NFI about who James Brown the footballer is, and whether he's worth retaining or not.

leftrightout
02-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Time should be a big thing to alot of you guys.
Griff has not re-signed but is attracting interest elsewhere. Would he really re-sgin before he knows who manager is?
Get a manager and re-sign the guy already!

militiamon
02-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Bridgey :yap:

Michelangelo's 500-year-old statue David at risk of collapse

Experts in Italy have warned one of the world's most famous statues, Michelangelo's David, is in danger of collapsing because it has weak ankles.

They believe the 4.34 metre tall statue of the naked boy-warrior is vulnerable because of its leaning pose and the poor quality marble used by Michelangelo.

David was completed by Michelangelo in 1504, more than 500 years ago, from a single block of marble.

It spent centuries outdoors battling the elements and suffered damage during a riot in 1527 and a protest by an Italian painter who smashed off a toe with a hammer in 1991.

The statue only recently underwent a year of restoration work and was unveiled in 2011 after restorers painstakingly cleaned off grime and sulphate deposits.

It was during this process the stress on the statue's ankles was first noticed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-02/michelangelo27s-david-at-risk-of-collapse/5424994

MFKS
02-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Will make the same pledge I made about if we re-signed Bridges as a player..

If we sign Bridges as our manager, I'll stop supporting the Jerks & will support CCM.

Inb4 "dream come true for you innit"

FFS Your being moved to the Gypo Coast officially soon anyway. You have a love of things Gypo

Your mostly there.

Just buy a season ticket to Bluetoungue to sit by yourself and you will be there

Grimario
02-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Ray Gatt ‏@Gatty54 1m
My information is that the next Jets coach will be an Englishman...

Tommyjet
02-05-2014, 05:48 PM

But but bridgy is an Aussie now. Watch it be some useless twat like jim magilton. Would take Ian holloway just to see him up against that Lowe lunatic from Perth

Grimario
02-05-2014, 05:53 PM
But but bridgy is an Aussie now. Watch it be some useless twat like jim magilton. Would take Ian holloway just to see him up against that Lowe lunatic from Perth

Not Bridgey.
Not McLaren.
Has a connection to Bridgey.
Currently coaching in England.

:popcorn:

joel31
02-05-2014, 05:57 PM
what English coaches of good standard want to coach in Australia. I have a feeling it will be Bridgey

joel31
02-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Ray Gatt ‏@Gatty54 · 43m
Anthony Crea steps down as Sydney FC conditioner/trainer
surely this means arnie is pretty much confirmed there

Tommyjet
02-05-2014, 05:59 PM
what English coaches of good standard want to coach in Australia. I have a feeling it will be Bridgey

It's someone currently managing in england

Pico
02-05-2014, 06:00 PM
The interesting thing for me is the article said all the interviewed coaches had been talked to about plyers on/off contract, and indications of who to keep and who not to have been made by them. What interests me with this is it says to me that all the interviewed coaches know a bit about the HAL/Jets landscape, and probably know each & every player. Therefore, I'm assuming it's not a foreign coach ala Gombau as a guy like that would have NFI about who James Brown the footballer is, and whether he's worth retaining or not.

I read it more along the lines that HSG has made it clear to the applicants, that they can hire their own staff & the number of players off contract etc. Spelt out exactly how much room they have so you don't get another situation where the incoming coach just blames all the results on "not my squad" and wants to wait 12 months so they can get "their own players".

Middleby also specifically said that this process has been on going for 8 weeks, the only reason i can think of rushing the dead line is the concern that they had selected the best candidate, then Arnold came on the market, so they entertained the idea, but with no real answer from Arnold and continuing to push his deadline back to accommodate SFC they became nervous that they could lose the initial person that they had already decided on before Arnold became available and lose Arnold as well, hence the deadline and decision to move on.

If they have been in talks for 8 weeks, or even 4 weeks perhaps the candidates (or preferred candidate) was given a list of contracted and out of contract players for them to look over in case they got the gig so the new coach could hit the ground running.

I'm still hoping that Arnold ****s off to SFC and then grabs his mate Dutchy as assistant.

Grimario
02-05-2014, 06:00 PM

Just like us booting Dodds meant he was a sure thing here, right?

Pico
02-05-2014, 06:03 PM

lol here we go again, did we learn nothing from last time coaching staff was moved on at an HAL team...

If a club has a shit season and fails to perform why is it such a big surprise that staff are moved on.

Having said that I still think the most likely destination for Arnold is SFC as I said from the start.

Thomas477
02-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Holloway would be awesome.

furns
02-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Unlikely, but it would be fantastic. If we get Holloway, I expect all haters to immediately throw themselves upon the mercy of Middleby.

joel31
02-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Ray Gatt ‏@Gatty54 · 1m
The name I've been give for jets job is Birmingham City boss Lee Clark
here we are

joel31
02-05-2014, 06:15 PM
his coaching resume is very unimpressive

Pico
02-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Full list of english coaches in the english league system can be found here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_Football_League_managers

Pico
02-05-2014, 06:33 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Clark_%28footballer%29#Career_statistics

Looks like a jets style appointment.... I'm sure he'll be happy to Bridgey on his bench and that's all that matters.

Buddha
02-05-2014, 07:17 PM
I like Lee Clark, taken Birmingham into the relegation zone.

But seriously don't take this peasant

LiverJet
02-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Article on the Australian
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/lee-clark-possible-coaching-option-for-newcastle-jets/story-fn63e0vj-1226903753242

furns
02-05-2014, 11:28 PM
herald article which gives status on other candidates that have been touted
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2256160/birmingham-city-boss-linked-to-jets-coaching-job/?cs=391

WolfMan
03-05-2014, 10:53 AM
As a Wolves fan, I won't be happy with a Bluenose affiliated cvnt.

The Jets can't possibly cater to every fan's whim though, so I'll stop short of reneging on the membership.

As has been stated, hardly a coaching resume to be proud of

hawk
03-05-2014, 11:03 AM
As a Wolves fan, I won't be happy with a Bluenose affiliated cvnt.

The Jets can't possibly cater to every fan's whim though, so I'll stop short of reneging on the membership.

As has been stated, hardly a coaching resume to be proud of

+1

Grimario
03-05-2014, 11:16 AM
Not Bridgey.
Not McLaren.
Has a connection to Bridgey.
Currently coaching in England.

:popcorn:

Ray Gatt ‏@Gatty54 11m
Jets job down to Either Lee Clark or Phil Stubbins...

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

furns
03-05-2014, 11:21 AM
would take Stubbins, surprised he hasnt got himself an aleague gig sooner tbh

Tommyjet
03-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Yeah I reckon stubbins deserves a shot but I think both he and Clark are much the same in terms of how excited I am by their rumoured acquisition. Read many good things about Clark as well as a few very negative reports whereas, while stubbins knows the Aussie seen very well, he has been in lower Asian leagues for a few years now and also spruiks a similar philosophy to gve, which I don't think sits well with current squad and current fan base.

WolfMan
03-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Yeah I reckon stubbins deserves a shot but I think both he and Clark are much the same in terms of how excited I am by their rumoured acquisition. Read many good things about Clark as well as a few very negative reports whereas, while stubbins knows the Aussie seen very well, he has been in lower Asian leagues for a few years now and also spruiks a similar philosophy to gve, which I don't think sits well with current squad and current fan base.

I personally never had an issue with the GVE philosophy. It was the implementation or lack thereof which screwed us as a team IMHO

De-Champ
03-05-2014, 07:07 PM
would take Stubbins, surprised he hasnt got himself an aleague gig sooner tbh

He wasn't too successful with Adelaide City in the old NSL. If all those in the article are the only ones the Jets can attract then it may as well be Zane.

Tommyjet
03-05-2014, 07:13 PM
I personally never had an issue with the GVE philosophy. It was the implementation or lack thereof which screwed us as a team IMHO
I personally prefer quick flowing transition with counter attacks built from a solid defence. I like the idea of possession based football but not when it involves slow transitioning

Thomas477
03-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Tbh, and I might be alone here, but I prefer the kind where we win football matches.

GazFish35
03-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Tbh, and I might be alone here, but I prefer the kind where we win football matches.

We haven't seen that for donkeys.

Grimario
03-05-2014, 10:10 PM

I love the GvE philosophy... it's just that the stuff he preaches as gospel never remotely represents what he had teams doing on the pitch.

Pico
04-05-2014, 12:23 AM
I personally prefer quick flowing transition with counter attacks built from a solid defence. I like the idea of possession based football but not when it involves slow transitioning

What like a proper competitive club..... Nah that's not jets style.

furns
04-05-2014, 03:09 AM
He wasn't too successful with Adelaide City in the old NSL. If all those in the article are the only ones the Jets can attract then it may as well be Zane.
You do know that was over 10 years ago now, right?

WolfMan
04-05-2014, 08:02 AM
I love the GvE philosophy... it's just that the stuff he preaches as gospel never remotely represents what he had teams doing on the pitch.

+1; Precisely what I was saying

GazFish35
04-05-2014, 08:59 AM
In other daily news, da mighty RBB have thrown their toys out of the pram again.

This time they have taken exception to a newspaper article saying that they had met with Suncorp stadium. They claim they haven't.

FFS for bauchi of wannabe ultras they sure do whinge and bitch like a bunch of teenagers being asked to clean their room.

De-Champ
04-05-2014, 10:29 AM
You do know that was over 10 years ago now, right?

My point being he did not do well with a bnch of amateurs, how is he going to do with professionals??

pv4
05-05-2014, 09:50 AM
I posted this

Two days later Ray Gatt says this

Ray Gatt ‏@Gatty54 11m
Jets job down to Either Lee Clark or Phil Stubbins...

I without a doubt believe Gatt is reading this foz

belchardo
05-05-2014, 09:55 AM
FFA to charge A-League clubs $250,000 fee for tours by European giants

Football Federation Australia has attracted the ire of A-League club owners by moving to impose a $250,000 sanction fee on any international friendly matches the clubs organise against famous overseas teams.

Clubs were recently informed of the change, which could put in jeopardy future tour matches such as the clash between Melbourne Victory and English Premier League giants Liverpool last year that attracted 95,000 spectators to the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

FFA also organises its own matches against overseas opposition through the A-League All Stars team, which played Manchester United last year and will meet Italian club Juventus in Sydney in August.

Previously it charged the club 5 per cent of gate takings to sanction other matches.
Advertisement

The Juventus match is the next high-profile event on the football calendar after the Socceroos play South Africa on May 26.

It is understood the FFA is in negotiations with a top English side for the 2015 off-season and has approached European clubs to tour in 2016. It is hoped an announcement on the 2015 match will come by the end of this year.

Club sources say the increased payment, as well as the FFA already holding broadcast rights to the matches, is aimed at deterring clubs from organising their own matches and instead leaving the overseas tours for only the All-Stars, from which the FFA can make up to $1 million a match.

Manchester City have already withdrawn from a May tour during which they had planned to play their subsidiary, Melbourne Heart, and Brisbane Roar, while clubs such as Melbourne Victory are reconsidering plans for 2015 matches.

However, it is understood the FFA sees the move as ensuring clubs only bring out top-class opponents capable of generating large financial returns that would allow for the new sanction fee to be affordable.

Some matches in recent years, including Victory versus Greek team Olympiakos, have failed to generate large financial returns.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa-to-charge-aleague-clubs-250000-fee-for-tours-by-european-giants-20140505-zr4ni.html#ixzz30nIp6WuR

what a load of bull. god FFA are a bunch of interfering so and so's sometimes.

pv4
05-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Don't understand why FFA would want to interfere with things like that TBH. If they already get a decent percentage of gate-takings, if they got TV hosting rights, etc - they're already making enough money out of it. And the league as a whole gets "free" marketing out of it - the A-League brand is broadened, etc all for the cost of that club team doing the leg-work to get the match organised.

GazFish35
05-05-2014, 11:08 AM
to make sure you bring out teams that will make money, weel take money off you.

well done.

Pico
05-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Don't understand why FFA would want to interfere with things like that TBH. If they already get a decent percentage of gate-takings, if they got TV hosting rights, etc - they're already making enough money out of it. And the league as a whole gets "free" marketing out of it - the A-League brand is broadened, etc all for the cost of that club team doing the leg-work to get the match organised.

simple really, they only want the all stars to be the off season attraction. I'd also put money on them potentially looking to increase it from one all stars game to perhaps two, one in Sydney & one in Melbourne perhaps with different teams.

If I was a Melbourne, Sydney or even Nix fan I'd be pissed, but seeing we are not going to be organising any glamour off season friendlies I really don't care that much.

The real down side is that this basically locks in that clubs will need to use large, unsuitable AFL scale stadia if they want to take the risk so they have as many seats to sell as possible, that or the prices are going to rise considerably.

Bon
05-05-2014, 01:07 PM
New coach..

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Phil-Stubbins-appointed-Jets-Head-Coach/90306

Frodo
05-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Nice, Has experience in ACL. Hopefully he can bring some of the success he had at Adelaide a few years ago with him.

MFKS
05-05-2014, 06:06 PM
MELBOURNE Victory have suffered a blow with gun left-back Adama Traore quitting the A-League club.

Traore, 24, has informed the club in recent days and it’s believed he will pursue a career overseas, despite getting his Australian citizenship a month ago.

Victory was optimistically planning for life with Ivorian-born Traore, with his citizenship opening up another visa spot, but he rejected the club’s new multi-year offer.

However it’s believed rival A-League clubs will attempt to scupper Traore’s plans to move abroad, tempting him with offers in excess of $200,000-a-year.

It’s believed Traore’s Socceroos ineligibility _ due to him playing an African Under 21 qualifying match with Ivory Coast _ played a part in his decision to quit Victory.

With James Troisi and Tom Rogic set to return to parent clubs Atalanta and Celtic respectively, Victory is now nervously awaiting an answer from Brazilian Gui Finkler.

Victory has tabled a new and improved two-year offer to the attacking midfielder, but at least two other clubs are interested, including Sydney FC who are looking for an Alessandro Del Piero replacement.

Traore’s offer was also understood to be well above the $180,000-a-year deal he signed when joining from Gold Coast United two years ago.

Traore was immense in his 43 Victory appearances and demonstrated his versatility this season by filling it at centre-back on occasions.

He along with Troisi will be favourites to take out Friday’s best and fairest.

Middleby Leave no stone unturned trying to sign this bloke FFS

Wilso8948
05-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Would take

leftrightout
06-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Yes definitely would take. But again, has to be the right price. He is a brilliant player and we need a left back (unless they start playing goodwin there again) but really for his price, i dont know.
Would it be worth taking up that much of the salary cap?

pv4
06-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Everyone can forget about Traore playing for us right now.

He could make whatever money he wanted at any HAL club, but the fact of the matter is he came to Australia for the sole purpose of playing for the NT one day. That dream has been taken away from him, so now he has his citizenship (& I think I saw that he got an Australian girlfriend, not sure) - there's nothing keeping him here. He could earn 3 times what any HAL club could pay him by playing in a better league in Asia. But he has a Euorpean dream, and he is pursuing it. He's informed MV he's leaving to Europe, which says to me he has several options lined up already. He won't play in Australia again unless his o/s dreams fail and/or he comes back on a retirement type plan IMO.

WolfMan
06-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Everyone can forget about Traore playing for us right now.

He could make whatever money he wanted at any HAL club, but the fact of the matter is he came to Australia for the sole purpose of playing for the NT one day. That dream has been taken away from him, so now he has his citizenship (& I think I saw that he got an Australian girlfriend, not sure) - there's nothing keeping him here. He could earn 3 times what any HAL club could pay him by playing in a better league in Asia. But he has a Euorpean dream, and he is pursuing it. He's informed MV he's leaving to Europe, which says to me he has several options lined up already. He won't play in Australia again unless his o/s dreams fail and/or he comes back on a retirement type plan IMO.

+1 agree totally. More annoyed that he can't play for Australia to be honest. Would have solved a massive problem position

cobra23
06-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Cant he play for australia in a couple of years, the same thing that Tim Cahill did. ???

Grimario
06-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Cant he play for australia in a couple of years, the same thing that Tim Cahill did. ???

No. Difference with Timmy is that he was eligible for Australia when he played for Samoa youth. Traore was not eligible for Australia when he played for Ivory Coast youth so will never be eligible for Australian senior team.

pv4
06-05-2014, 10:55 AM

FIFA keep chopping & changing their minds about this kind of thing, and there have been some cases of this new rule not in effect back then, etc. But recently (in the last year) they've put the iron fist down and developed the definite rule that will never allow Traore to play for the Socceroos.

The rule is: if you are originally eligible to play for two countries, and play for the youth team of one of the countries, you can play for the senior team of the other country. However, if you are not eligible for one country, play for the youth team of a country you are in fact eligible for, and then after playing for that youth team you earn eligibility to another country - you can't play for that country. So basically, you can't switch allegiances if you've represented a country at youth level and weren't eligible for the other country before playing at youth level. So when Traore played youth level for IC, he was only eligible for IC. Now, he has earned eligibility for Australia but because he didn't have it before playing for IC youth, he can't switch.

militiamon
06-05-2014, 06:12 PM
100% agree with this part pv4:

FIFA keep chopping & changing their minds about this kind of thing, and there have been some cases of this new rule not in effect back then, etc.

Where is the evidence for this part?

But recently (in the last year) they've put the iron fist down and developed the definite rule that will never allow Traore to play for the Socceroos.

How do you know this rule is any more definite than any of the others?

Also key point that was missed in your recount of the ruling was that Traore played for Ivory Coast youth in a competitive tournament.
The competitive tournament bit is the key here. You can still play for the youth team of another country as long as it isn't a competitive match. Same goes for the senior team, as long as it isn't a competitive match you can still play for a future country who you are not eligible to play for at the time (e.g Diego Costa).

I still think the rule is bullshit and I'm guessing it will change within 5 years.

parksey
06-05-2014, 08:48 PM
deadset the diego costa ruling is a farce. he has legit played for brazil's senior team more than once.

how he is allowed to represent spain from now on, while someone like traore is cast out into the international wilderness, is a disgrace.

militiamon
06-05-2014, 08:57 PM
^ completely agree.

Premy
07-05-2014, 11:39 PM
http://m.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/graham-arnold-to-coach-sydney-fc/story-fn63e0vj-1226909472633

The Australian reporting that Arnold will be announced as Smurfs Manager tomorrow.

Grimario
07-05-2014, 11:46 PM
On 1.8m for 3 years. Compared to the reported paltry 750k we had offered him...

Pico
08-05-2014, 08:40 AM
Jet Connor Chapman feels tug of Heart

By JAMES GARDINER
May 8, 2014, 5 a.m.

THE shake-up at the Newcastle Jets has begun with promising defender Connor Chapman in talks to join A-League rivals the Melbourne Heart.

Chapman has a year to run on his contract in Newcastle after signing an extension in December but sources indicate that the Jets are willing to release the 19-year-old centre back.

The former Joeys captain was a favourite of previous coach Gary van Egmond but has not been sighted in the top team since round six.

Fairfax Media understands the deal would include an onsell clause in which the Jets would receive a portion, believed to be 20 per cent, of a transfer fee if he moved to a bigger club.

Negotiations began before the appointment of Phil Stubbins but the new coach is understood to have been briefed on the situation.

The Jets are rumoured to be close to signing Sydney FC defender Matt Jurman.

Jets chief executive Robbie Middleby said it was club policy not to comment on player recruitment.

Chapman’s manager,Richie Hinton, declined to comment.

The Heart released defenders Patrick Gerhardt, Sam Mitchinson, David Vrankovic and Jeremy Walker last week, leaving former Socceroo Patrick Kisnorbo and Dutchman Robbie Wielaert as the remaining central defenders.

The Jets do not have an abundance of depth at the back. Dutch international Kew Jaliens and Taylor Regan are contracted, but Josh Mitchell, who started in the final nine games, is yet to re-sign.

Highly rated youth team centre backs Nick Cowburn and Tom Whiteside have attended national team age camps in the past year.

Stubbins, meanwhile, flew to Thailand to finalise his departure from previous club Ayutthaya before travelling to the United Kingdom and is expected back in late May.

www.theherald.com.au/story/2268058/jet-connor-chapman-feels-tug-of-heart/?cs=303

Basically confirms that the whole shambles with management signing players instead of coaches continues. I really am starting to hope that Tinks goes under as quick as possible. This nonsense of releasing Chapman only to sign Jurman on a three year deal, speaks volumes of the complete ineptitude of HSG & the jets management.

Pico
08-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Clayton Zane: What I could have done better

By JAMES GARDINER
May 8, 2014, 7:03 a.m.

CLAYTON Zane’s 12-week term in charge of the Jets has strengthened his ambition to be a headcoach, but the former Socceroo admits he has a lot to learn.

Thrown in at the deep end after the dismissal of Gary van Egmond in January, Zane guided the Jets to five wins, five losses and two draws to just miss a place in the A-League finals.

The caretaker role was his first senior appointment, apart from a season at the helm of theJetsW-League side.

He was interviewed for the full-time gig, but was overlooked for Phil Stubbins,whom he will now assist.

‘‘For me the biggest thing I take out of it is knowing that I am capable of one day exploring the option of putting my hat back in the ring,’’ he said.

‘‘You need the experience to know that you are capable of doing it. Knowing people can believe in you.

‘‘It all happened so quick. Now I have had time to go away and reflect, think about what I did OK and what I could have done better.

‘‘It is not like they have brought in another young coach who doesn’t have experience.

‘‘Phil has been on their radar for sometime. They spoke very highly of him when he missed out on the job to Gary in 2011.’’

Zane met with Stubbins on Monday and again yesterday to start planning for next season, where the Jets will be aiming to end a four season finals drought.

‘‘He seems a very good communicator.He is very calm, a deep thinker, but I can see an intense side as well. Once he steps over the white line he will really drive the group on.’’

Zane said Stubbins had come through the Australian Institute of Sport ‘‘like Gary’’.

‘‘Coaches that come out of theAIS have a really clear direction of where they want to go.

‘‘Phil will be the same, he will have his own ideas, which will be different to Gary.

‘‘I need to be around someone different. I had a couple of good years under Gary and Deansy.’’

Zane said it would be good to hear a fresh voice.

‘‘I have never done the assistant role,’’ Zane said.

‘‘I bypassed a huge part of it. ‘‘There are a lot of details to look after.You are almost mopping up anything the first team coach misses – taking care of the little details and making sure nothing is missed.

‘‘I’m really looking forward to having a crack at that.’’

Both Stubbins and Zane are headed to the United Kingdom in the next week.

Zane, whose father-in-law is vice president at Chelsea FC, will mix business with pleasure.

‘‘The trip is mainly to visit family,’’ said Zane, whose wife gave birth to their second child two months ago .

‘‘I’m going to the FACup final and an England match, and will also catch up with some people I had made contact with depending on which way the role went.

‘‘Phil is heading over as well and has some players and contacts he is meeting.

‘‘The plan is to get together at some point.’’

Meanwhile, tickets for the Asian Cup, in which Hunter Stadium will host four games including a semifinal, went on sale to the football family yesterday.

Venue packs, which offer big discounts to fans watching all matches in one host city, are now available.

Individual tickets start from $5 for kids and $15 for adults and go on sale to the football family on May 27 and to the public on June 2.

www.theherald.com.au/story/2268061/clayton-zane-what-i-could-have-done-better/?cs=12

It's interesting who would have the greater OS contacts, Stubbins or Zane, one things for sure though I doubt the club has any contacts of their own, other then listening to snake oil agents.

Pico
08-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Melbourne derby to open season 10, while A-League will break for the 2015 Asian Cup in January

Matt Windley
Herald Sun
May 07, 2014 10:00PM

THE Manchester City revolution at Melbourne Heart will start with a bang when the club clashes with cross-town rival Melbourne Victory in Round 1 next season.

The Herald Sun can also *reveal the A-League is almost certain to go into recess during January’s Asian Cup, to be played in Australia.

It is due in part to the 16-*nation tournament that the most-anticipated Melbourne derby in A-League history will be played at Etihad Stadium on the opening weekend of season 10.

Heart - which is expected to be rebranded Melbourne City, in the coming months - and Victory have met in Round 1 in the past two *seasons.

Played in front of a crowd of before 45,202 at Docklands, last October’s game, in particular, was criticised as dour affair and questions were raised about why the first meeting between the clubs was not delayed a few weeks in order to allow the teams to shake off early-season rust.

But it is Victory’s turn to host two of the three derbies next season and if it wants to play those games at the larger capacity Etihad Stadium — rather than AAMI Park — it must get one out of the way immediately.

The club is again expected to play about five home games at Etihad Stadium and most, if not all, of those must be played early in the season because of the stadium’s Big Bash cricket and AFL commitments.

Football Federation Australia is also understood to be in favour of scheduling as many blockbusters matches as possible in the opening rounds of the season so as to maximise attendances and TV ratings.

Like last season, the 2014-15 campaign is expected to kick off straight after the AFL and NRL grand finals.

In the latest draft of the *fixture, not due to be released until mid-year, the season’s first game is to be played on Friday, October 10.

FFA had been entertaining the idea of considering playing A-League games during the Asian Cup, which will be played in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra and Newcastle from January 9-31.

A-League boss Damien De Bohun had floated the prospect of games being staged elsewhere throughoutin Asia, as well as in Australian markets where Asian Cup games will not be held.

To fit the 27-round season plus finals into the October-May window used last season, it is expected that clubs will play several midweek games. December is likely to be the busiest period.

Good to see they have decided to break for the Asian Cup, But I'm not sure on this midweek stuff, failed in the past why would we not just shift the start of the season back one month to September. The other codes will be in their finals so its not like their will be a huge amount of games on & pitches couldn't be any worse then they are in April.

plague
08-05-2014, 09:59 AM
why would we not just shift the start of the season back one month to September. The other codes will be in their finals so its not like their will be a huge amount of games on & pitches couldn't be any worse then they are in April.

I think you'll find that NRL and AFL still have SFS, ETIHAD, Olympic, Hunter, Suncorp and AAMI stadium tentatively booked all September in order to make sure all outcomes of their finals are manageable.
Double-Eff-Aye won't be able to lock in any games this far out to release their draw.
Only options are midweek games or run the comp later into May.

Premy
08-05-2014, 10:13 AM
I think midweek games are brilliant, I also feel this is a massive opportunity for FFA.
Lets face it looking to the future midweek games are going to be more and more common, with the FFA Cup and AFC games being midweek the FFA needs to change the culture on midweek games. I would suggest cheap entry or even free entry to midweek games and the FFA need to throw a lot of money into advertising these fixtures. Wouldn't hurt to have a derby or 2 in the midweek fixtures to create interest too.

q-money
08-05-2014, 10:27 AM
midweek derby would be a disaster for both clubs here, interest is waning enough as it is

leave it to melbourne/sydney markets i reckon

Thomas477
08-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Basically confirms that the whole shambles with management signing players instead of coaches continues. I really am starting to hope that Tinks goes under as quick as possible. This nonsense of releasing Chapman only to sign Jurman on a three year deal, speaks volumes of the complete ineptitude of HSG & the jets management.

Nah, it's all Palmer and Tinkler's fault!!! Our management just sits in their offices all day and play football management.

Bring back Con and John T, at least they gave a shit.

Premy
08-05-2014, 10:43 AM
leave it to melbourne/sydney markets i reckon
Agree, the metro markets would be the best option for midweek games.

It maybe inevitable that we have to host at least one midweek fixture just not sure who would be best to host for that game. I just think FFA need to be clever with the midweek fixtures with who and where.

Successful midweek Fixtures would be
-Melbourne Derby
-Sydney Derby
-Adelaide V Victory @ Ammi park
-CCM V SFC @ North Sydney oval
-Wellington @ Auckland

hausmann
08-05-2014, 12:28 PM
I think the A-League should always take a recess in January. I would like at least part of the summer to be free of football so I can just go on holidays or the beach or something.

Imagine an apertura clausura system where the team at the top of the league prior to Christmas gets some kind of reward, like a seeded spot in the finals. it would make the teams try harder at the start of the season instead of waiting until the final 5 rounds to start playing their best football.

This may be the only chance to push for it because I doubt the FFA are innovative enough to consider it.

Grimario
08-05-2014, 12:33 PM
I think the A-League should always take a recess in January. I would like at least part of the summer to be free of football so I can just go on holidays or the beach or something.

Imagine an apertura clausura system where the team at the top of the league prior to Christmas gets some kind of reward, like a seeded spot in the finals. it would make the teams try harder at the start of the season instead of waiting until the final 5 rounds to start playing their best football.

This may be the only chance to push for it because I doubt the FFA are innovative enough to consider it.
So, kind of like the Dutch 2nd div that has its season broken up into stages. Winner of first half goes into promotion playoffs regardless of overall or second half finish.

plague
08-05-2014, 12:44 PM
I would like at least part of the summer to be free of football so I can just go on holidays or the beach or something.

Errrrrrrr, you know you are allowed to do that stuff anyway.

hausmann
08-05-2014, 12:51 PM
So, kind of like the Dutch 2nd div that has its season broken up into stages. Winner of first half goes into promotion playoffs regardless of overall or second half finish.

Yeah maybe. Or maybe they only get seeded if they actually make the finals. I haven't considered it too much, other than giving the players an incentive to play well before the break. Just don't want to think about the stinkin jets when I'm on holidays or miss too many games in my season ticket. It seems like January being framed as the balmy time for 20/20 cricket, not real sport, just entertainment. I say, give them January, because hot weather isn't conducive to good football.

Speaking of season tickets, I'm pretty sure that they said that Hunter Stadium would be unavailable prior to the Asian Cup. I wonder what that means for Jets games. Hopefully it will all be sorted before we are asked to renew our season tickets.

hausmann
08-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Errrrrrrr, you know you are allowed to do that stuff anyway.

Yeah, I'm allowed to, but I always miss at least a couple of games in that time period so it doesn't help with the value of a season ticket.

Generally, culture is meant to fit in with the flow of life, not be opposed to it. Football of all sorts seems to want to encroach on all available leisure time, scheduling matches for public holidays etc. There is little sensitivity shown for the surrounding culture. That is part of the reason why it struggles to break into the mainstream while hit and giggle 20/20 is well patronised. People struggle with enthusiasm in summer and just want their entertainment given to them on a platter.

Football has been put into a summer schedule to avoid competing with Rugby League and AFL directly. It is not a natural fit. Football players perform better in colder weather. The Jets ALWAYS play shit after Christmas. I haven't seen a season where they haven't. Just give the players a couple of weeks off with their families and a couple of weeks to build their fitness back up and then get back into it.

For all these reasons I think it is at least worth investigating.

Rocky
08-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Unsure if anyones noticed, GA to the smurfs is now official. We pass on him then within a week he's taken by Sydney FC of all teams? Fvck this is a dodgy show.

plague
08-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Unsure if anyones noticed, GA to the smurfs is now official. We pass on him then within a week he's taken by Sydney FC of all teams? Fvck this is a dodgy show.

I don't think we 'passed' on him.
I'd say his camp came back with the amount SFC was offering in the hope we matched it, we poo'ed our pants then tried to save face.

Grimario
08-05-2014, 05:01 PM

Speculated at 750k with us, reported as 1.8m with SFC. Even before their official amount was announced, it was reported that the SFC offer was MORE than what we were offering and what NZ was offering combined.

Pico
08-05-2014, 06:43 PM
I don't think we 'passed' on him.
I'd say his camp came back with the amount SFC was offering in the hope we matched it, we poo'ed our pants then tried to save face.

By most likely appointing our third choice option in stubbins, had Lee Clark's club been relegated I think we would have tried to go for him but with them avoiding relegation it would not surprise me if we had to go for the backup plan.

joel31
10-05-2014, 09:14 AM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1188833/Finkler-seals-two-year-Victory-deal
Now Finkler is out of the question

Thomas477
10-05-2014, 09:44 AM
KUTGW Middleby.

Blackmac79
10-05-2014, 09:46 AM
This season is going to be shit.