View Full Version : Daily Australian News Thread 2014

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

halo se7en
10-05-2014, 10:18 AM
KUTGW Middleby.

You're kidding surely?

Grimario
10-05-2014, 10:21 AM
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/socceroos-world-cup-hopefuls-put-through-paces-at-secret-camp-at-adelaides-hindmarsh-stadium/story-fnii0fc4-1226912526998

ANGE Postecoglou’s true No. 10 Tom Rogic headlined a secret FIFA World Cup mini Socceroos camp at Coopers Stadium on Friday.

The Celtic attacking midfielder, on loan to Melbourne Victory for this recent A-League season, was part of Socceroos assistant coach Aurelio Vidmar’s pre-World Cup preparatory squad.

Vidmar, a Socceroos and Adelaide City legend and former Adelaide United coach, greeted The Advertiser outside the Hindmarsh stadium with a chirpy “good morning” after FFA officials declined requests for interviews.

Rogic, 21, Adelaide United’s goalkeeper of the year and 2010 World Cup squad member Eugene Galekovic, 32, Reds utility Osama Malik, 23, Newcastle Jets trio, golden boot Adam Taggart, 20, Josh Brillante, 21, and former Reds No. 2 gloveman Mark Birighitti, 23, were all present in camp.

Vidmar had his mini squad working up a sweat first in the Coopers Stadium gym. The A-Leaguers then ventured on to a sodden Coopers Stadium pitch for a training session.

Vidmar’s Socceroos staff included lauded physio Les Gelis, goalkeeper coach Tony Franken and new national teams football analyst Peter Cklamovski.

But Adelaide-based Andrew Young, a former Fulham United five-star physio who was named as the Socceroos’ sports scientist and football conditioning coach in February, wasn’t spotted at the session yesterday.

The Socceroos’ mini World Cup preparation camp has been based in Adelaide since the start of the week with the small group training in the mornings.

They will continue to train on the pristine Coopers Stadium turf until Tuesday before Postecoglou names a preliminary squad of 30 players on Wednesday.

Rogic and Galekovic are certainties for Brazil while the other four A-League young guns present at the secret session will make the preliminary squad of 30 named next week.

Although they the may not survive the next Socceroos World Cup cut, they are in line for Asian Cup duty on home soil in January.

The final squad of 30 will then gather in Gosford after the announcement for the final World Cup countdown before the squad is later reduced to 27 players.

The Socceroos will train at Central Coast Stadium from May 18 after former Mariners coach Lawrie McKinna, current mayor of the city of Gosford, brokered a deal to host the entire national team.

The 27 players will all board flights for Brazil after the Socceroos face South Africa in the farewell clash at ANZ Stadium on May 26.

Brisbane Roar’s double winning coach Mike Mulvey and assistant Luciano Trani have also been charged with coaching World Cup certainties Matt McKay and Ivan Franjic.

It’s believed Victory boss Kevin Muscat has been training Socceroos-in-waiting, Adelaide-born James Troisi and Mark Milligan in Melbourne.

Pico
10-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Homebound Flores won't say adios

9 May 2014-SBS: Philip Micallef

Argentine playmaker Marcos Flores said he was determined to come back to Australia as a new player after he completes his rehabilitation from a season-ending knee injury in his homeland.

Flores suffered a serious injury to his right knee during training in January and he since has been informed by his club Central Coast Mariners that his services will not be required next season.

"I am going back to Argentina to complete the recovery of my knee with good and professional treatment," Flores said.

"Only God knows what the future holds for me.

"But I definitely would not like to say goodbye to Australia ... I would prefer to say 'see you soon'.

"I want to be fit again so I can pay back with football and effort whoever might invest faith in me.

"I can't believe that only one person at the Mariners believes I am not good enough.

"It broke my heart. It is not about money, not about injury. It is about showing faith that I can overcome my first injury in 28 years.

"If everything turns up the way I am wishing, well, the Mariners might see my football and commitment in a different jersey."

Flores leaves for Argentina on Sunday to complete his rehabilitation.

"My recovery is going great, I am at a changing of direction stage and getting in contact with the ball," he explained.

"I couldn't touch the love of my life for three months but today I came close to it so I'm happy.

"I'm feeling good and positive about it. Andrew Nealon (Mariners physio) has been more than happy with the evolution but obviously now I will be finalising my rehab with an intense and consistent treatment over in Argentina."

Flores said he expected to be fit to play again just in time for the A-League's pre-season.

"It has been difficult. I did my knee on 2 January during the last kick of the day at training," he recalled.

"The accident changed my life a bit and it definitely taught me a lot as a person.

"On 15 July it will be six months of rehab and if everything keeps going this way and God protects me ... I guess I will be able to respond to any medical test and begin pre-season.

"So my target is to work really hard these coming weeks to be ready for any opportunities.

"I really believe that if you work hard when no one is watching you that makes the universe conspire to give you another opportunity."

Although Flores is resentful of the Mariners' decision to cut him when he was at the lowest point of his career, he does understand their decision.

"They made their decision to let me go in my condition for a football reason, I might not agree with it but I do respect that," he said.

"I was pushing a lot by dreaming to be back.

"Sometimes in football you have to take it as it comes ... they broke my heart of course but it made me stronger and more determined to overcome my situation."

Flores came to Australia in 2010 and his displays for his first club Adelaide United earned him the Johnny Warren Medal in 2011.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/central-coast-mariners/news/1188831/Homebound-Flores-won-t-say-adios

I think he will end up with Arnie at SFC, but he might be worth the gamble if he's cheap enough, already has a dislike for the mariners so that's a positive.

hawk
10-05-2014, 08:37 PM
I think he will end up with Arnie at SFC, but he might be worth the gamble if he's cheap enough, already has a dislike for the mariners so that's a positive.

no way in fk are we gonna gamble on another knee comeback

Grimario
10-05-2014, 08:40 PM

That is exactly the sort of thing we would do...

hawk
10-05-2014, 08:46 PM
That is exactly the sort of thing we would do...

dont know what i was thinking carry on Pics

Beeen
11-05-2014, 03:29 AM
Am i the only one who never really rated Chapman? Future Socceroo my arse

plague
11-05-2014, 12:43 PM
So now tha newspapers are saying Jurman isn't signing with us.
Big Phil put the kibosh on it.
Is this true?

Thomas477
11-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Is this true?

Pffft, what say does Big Phil have in signing players? It's all Middleby/Baartz/Palmer/Tinks.

Grimario
11-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Is this true?

If true, big Phil is a hero.

Grimario
11-05-2014, 03:02 PM

Marcos Flores ‏@MarcosFlores85
the future looks bright!!! Dont worry for me!!!! Is a rumour in the air that a new Aleague coach will sing me soon!! New club, new Culture..

New... car smell?

GazFish35
11-05-2014, 03:08 PM
New coach..... Phil, Arnie....???
New club...... City? Or a new club for him?
New culture. .?? Rees no kulcha in Australia.

I hope it's us, "new aleague coach" points to us more than Sydney.

Grimario
11-05-2014, 03:09 PM
New coach..... Phil, Arnie....???
New club...... City? Or a new club for him?
New culture. .?? Rees no kulcha in Australia.

I hope it's us, "new aleague coach" points to us more than Sydney.

It was purely the repetition of NEW that I thought pointed at us.

Few others are saying Flores to Sydney is on though.

halo se7en
11-05-2014, 03:57 PM
Arnie signed Flores the first time and he wasn't the one to let him go. Surely that match is back on at Sydney.

lil_masi
11-05-2014, 04:02 PM
Stubbins was at adelaide when flores was there

joel31
11-05-2014, 04:33 PM
a minute after that he posted something on twitter about B-League FC or something like that

belchardo
11-05-2014, 06:09 PM
you guys need your eyes checked. flores clearly says "sing" not "sign". :D

hawk
11-05-2014, 07:21 PM
NEW laws restricting where soccer fans can sit during **A-League matches are being pursued by authorities nationwide as they clamp down further on troublemakers.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/police-clubs-take-tough-line-on-soccer-seating-to-crack-down-on-troublemakers/story-fni0fee2-1226912320701?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HeraldSunTopStories+%28Herald +Sun+%7C+Top+Stories%29

better seat the hill then

Blackmac79
11-05-2014, 07:24 PM
better seat the hill then

Fairly sure the **** have indicated that they are opposed to such measures.

*censored for privacy.

Pico
12-05-2014, 07:40 AM
A-League champions Brisbane Roar leave Ballymore training ground for spiritual home Perry Park

Marco Monteverde
The Courier-Mail
May 10, 2014 9:10PM

BRISBANE’S home of football is finally becoming the home of the city’s premier team.

A-League champions Brisbane Roar are leaving their Ballymore training and administration base to move into Perry Park, the Bowen Hills facility that belongs to football.

“It’s going to be an important step for us as a club,” Roar managing director Sean Dobson said.

“It’s going to give us those long-term roots that we’ve all been craving for the past six or seven years since the move from Richlands.’’

The Roar moved in 2008 from their initial base at Rich-lands, the home of their founding club Queensland Lions, to Ballymore, where they became tenants of the Queensland Rugby Union.

While they will forever be indebted to the QRU, the Roar knew the time had come to move from a venue associated with a rival code.

“The Reds have been really excellent hosts and landlords, but as a game and as a club it’s really a great opportunity to move to move to a football-specific venue, and also give back and take Perry Park back to the original intent,” Dobson said.

Dobson said the move was in collaboration with the club that has called Perry Park home for 20 years, former National Soccer League outfit Brisbane Strikers.

The Strikers, now in the second-tier National Premier Leagues competition, will still play home games at Perry Park but will relocate their administration base to Logan venue Meakin Park.

“They’ve been really good to work with,” Dobson said of the Strikers. “It’s not about pushing them out.

“The venue is there for all of football, ideally.’’

Dobson said Perry Park was likely to be renamed something akin to “The Clem Jones Sporting Complex” in honour of the late Jones, who was the Strikers’ benefactor.

“We recognise how long they (the Strikers) have been there and what they’ve done for that site, and what Clem did for Brisbane and Queensland football,” Dobson said.

Perry Park’s second field will become a community football area.

“We want to make it a really positive green space,” Dobson said.

The first field will be upgraded with the aid of the Asian Football Confederation, with the venue to be used as a training facility for next year’s Australia-hosted Asian Cup.

While the playing surface is being improved, the Roar are likely to continue at Ballymore when they return for pre-season training late next month.

“We’re trying to minimise the impact of the first team and keep them on the best training field we can get them on,” Dobson said.

He also mentioned Brisbane Grammar School’s fields and the University of Queensland as potential alternative training venues.

Perry Park’s YMCA gymnasium is already used by many Roar players.

Dobson said the Roar were likely to play most of their pre-season games at their new training base, which hosts the Roar youth team in the NPL Queensland competition.

So let me get this right, the AFC (I assume that's the AFC Asian Cup local organising committee) is going to help with funding a training pitch for Brisbane but apparently Newcastle's tournament pitch is just fine the way it is now.

What a joke, if these numpties let this opportunity pass to get in to Hunter Stadium and get a first class hybrid pitch that can actually leave a real world legacy for football, the HAL & Newcastle sport in general, what am I saying of course they will its the NSW government and FFA.

I'd like to know what exactly the FFA and jets are doing about this pitch too, are they even getting off their arse and bribing sorry lobbying the government.

You'd think the NSW government could see the sense in throwing a spare couple of mill from the ports deal to fix and future proof their Newcastle stadium asset and have it looking pristine for a show piece event at the same time but something tells me that's not going to happen.

pv4
12-05-2014, 07:51 AM
I've been told that the Rugby League setup at Cessnock is being used as an Asian Cup training facility, Pico.

Pico
12-05-2014, 07:54 AM
FFA Cup’s future secured with sponsors getting behind the new knockout competition

David Davutovic
Herald Sun
May 11, 2014 10:33PM

THE FFA Cup’s future has been secured with a series of blue-chip, mutli-million-dollar sponsorships to be unveiled.

And British sportswear giant Umbro, a brand synonomous with the FA Cup, will be among four new sponsors announced, with the competition set to kick off on July 29.

With Fox Sports already signed up as the TV rights partner, FFA is understood to have secured around $12m in sponsors.

All sponsors have agreed to three-year deals, with the $4m-a-year underwriting FFA’s extensive travel costs.

Most state leagues are deep into their Cup competitions, with the official FFA Cup kicking off in late July when the 22 state and territory-based teams join the 10 A-League clubs.

ACT is the only one of the eight state and territories whose participant has been confirmed, 2013 winner Tuggeranong United.

Meanwhile FFA has commenced a search for a technical director to replace outgoing Han Berger.

However the new role will focus on the elite player pathway up to the age of 16, including overseeing the National Premier League (NPL) competitions.

While undertaking a global search, there’s a strong push for a local appointment and former AIS guru Ron Smith will be considered, along with former Perth Glory coach Alistair Edwards and former Newcastle Jets coach Gary van Egmond.

“The review of the national teams and technical department conducted by Luke Casserly has identified youth technical development as a key area for improvement,” said FFA CEO David Gallop.

“The new structure will see a technical director with particular focus and responsibility for elite player development up to 16 years of age for males and females and coach education for those working in these age groups.

“From 17 years of age onwards, the national teams will have the primary role in close consultation with the technical department of developing elite players who will ultimately represent the Socceroos and Matildas.

“This will broaden the scope of Ange Postecoglou’s role and the same for the long-term Matildas coach.

“This structure gives us a lot of confidence that Australia will produce generations with the right technical development.’’

Good to see the FFA Cup has got all the travel costs covered for 3 years, hopefully it rates well for Foxsports so they look to expand the coverage in future.

Global search :lol:

So which one of the three aussies do we think will get the gig, on the one hand it would be nice to be rid of GVE, but then I'd like to see the national setup improve not go backwards.

Pico
12-05-2014, 08:02 AM
I've been told that the Rugby League setup at Cessnock is being used as an Asian Cup training facility, Pico.

Yeah that's been known for a while and that's great for Cessnock as a town but what exactly is the local football community getting out of it?

Looks to be a nice big leg up for the rugby league community, its like the world cup bid all over again.

The only good thing I've heard of that will benefit the local football community as far as tournament legacy goes is the speers point facility but its not like the AFC or FFA is helping to fund that, all they did was provide support to the development proposal saying it could be selected, NNSW and LMCC did all the heavy lifting.

pv4
12-05-2014, 08:07 AM

So which one of the three aussies do we think will get the gig, on the one hand it would be nice to be rid of GVE, but then I'd like to see the national setup improve not go backwards.

I'll be pretty underwhelmed if it is Edwards or GVE.

I love Ron Smith, and think he's perfect for the role, though. He doesn't have the social skills to be a coach, but to be a TD of that sorts is a perfect fit for him. I think Rado Vidosic is the same.

hawk
12-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Good to see the FFA Cup has got all the travel costs covered for 3 years, hopefully it rates well for Foxsports so they look to expand the coverage in future.

fox should lease it to free to air to get some real viewer numbers

Grimario
12-05-2014, 04:02 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-enhance-Membership-Program-with-Ticketmaster-partnership/90451

Jets enhance Membership Program with Ticketmaster partnership

The Newcastle Jets have agreed to a new strategic partnership with Ticketmaster for the provision of membership services.

The Newcastle Jets will use Ticketmaster's innovative membership system to manage the Club's 10,000 members and 30,000 e-newsletter subscribers.

Ticketmaster was appointed the official ticketing agent for Hunter Stadium earlier this year and this new partnership will see Ticketmaster support the development and growth of the Club Membership Program.

This agreement will also see Ticketmaster become a sponsor of the Club to promote Ticketmaster's growing presence in the Hunter region.

"We are delighted to sign this long-term partnership and we look forward to working with one of the world's leading ticketing companies. This new partnership will allow the Club to provide an even better and more seamless member experience," Jets Commercial Director Mark Duffield-Thomas said.

"Based on feedback we have collected from our members we are enhancing the process of renewing and joining online. Next season our members will enjoy a new, easy-to-use membership website and new features including an Interactive Seat Map, which allows members to select the exact seats included in their membership package.

"We will also continue to offer the most affordable memberships in the A-league as well as a monthly payment plan to help a greater number of supporters attend more matches.

“We are grateful for the support of our members and look forward to welcoming new and existing members to the Club."

Membership Packages and Prices for the 2014/15 Hyundai A-League season will be announced in the coming weeks. To express an interest in Jets Membership CLICK HERE.

Premy
12-05-2014, 04:56 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-enhance-Membership-Program-with-Ticketmaster-partnership/90451
More Bullshit from the grubs running Hunter Stadium. Was nothing wrong with Pro-ticket IMO yet a local company gets shafted for the cashed up duopoly of Ticket master and Ticketek. Disgrace could be worse HSG could be running the show in there.

Blackmac79
12-05-2014, 05:10 PM
I hate ticketmaster. Their GUI is frustrating and impossible to navigate.

q-money
12-05-2014, 05:18 PM
proticket gouged with the best of them, the whole system is a ****ing farce tbh

i thought memberdesq (IMG) iirc did the membership stuff anyway?

joel31
12-05-2014, 07:03 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-heart-poach-newcastle-jets-talented-duo-connor-chapman-and-james-brown/story-e6frf4gl-1226914874845#mm-breached
I'm sure they'll tear us up in a few years time

MFKS
12-05-2014, 07:19 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-heart-poach-newcastle-jets-talented-duo-connor-chapman-and-james-brown/story-e6frf4gl-1226914874845#mm-breached

Did I just read right that Brown wanted out in January and we wouldn't release him??

FFS :banghead:

Who would be responsible for that shit???

joel31
12-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Did I just read right that Brown wanted out in January and we wouldn't release him??

a certain bloke named Robbie

Thomas477
12-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Middleby Out

halo se7en
12-05-2014, 08:41 PM

And what exactly is the issue? Give me one good reason why we would let him move when his contract was coming to a close anyway? Why give another team an advantage? I back the club on this one.

halo se7en
12-05-2014, 08:50 PM

This was so obviously written by a City supporter. I can't believe how poor this article is coming from what I thought was a reasonably unbiased website.

"Poached" is not a word you use for two players who were released/mutually terminated. Same applies for his comment that they "raided" the Jets. Then he states Chapman was "mysteriously" dropped as if the kid was one of the best defenders in the league. He had potential but he in no way was better than Jaliens or Regan (1st half) and Mitchell (2nd half) of the season.

Apparently Brown hasn't been able to replicate his GCU form due to non-selection. Ignoring the fact that when he was selected this year, his own fans booed him off the pitch due to how shit he was. He's also capable of "playing as a deep-lying midfielder". Really? Since when?

Sounds like someone who is desperately trying his hardest to convince himself that his own club have made two fantastic signings. In reality, along with Mooy, they seem to be doing exactly what the Jets did two seasons ago. It feels like they're going backwards though. Mooy was useless in the GF and he seems to have gone backwards since signing for WSW. I'm not sure how many of our coaches in Oz are capable of nurturing young talent.

MFKS
12-05-2014, 09:03 PM
And what exactly is the issue? Give me one good reason why we would let him move when his contract was coming to a close anyway? Why give another team an advantage? I back the club on this one.

Free up contract space under the cap to revitalise our squad with a signing who may have been the difference getting us from 7th and into the mythical play off land.
Giving away a bloke 4months early than we have who was going nowhere at our club isn't exactly gonna have bitten us too hard on the arse. It ain't likely Brown would have taken the HAL by storm in the second half of the year just cause he was out of Newy. His form may have improved but he ain't dominating the HAL

halo se7en
12-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Free up contract space under the cap to revitalise our squad with a signing who may have been the difference getting us from 7th and into the mythical play off land.
Giving away a bloke 4months early than we have who was going nowhere at our club isn't exactly gonna have bitten us too hard on the arse. It ain't likely Brown would have taken the HAL by storm in the second half of the year just cause he was out of Newy. His form may have improved but he ain't dominating the HAL

We signed Griffiths and Carney around that time. If there was even a hint of another decent player we could have grabbed, then who's to say the club wouldn't have released Brown then? But doing it beforehand without any other reason would have been foolish. He might not have set the league on fire, but why give Heart a headstart by giving Brown an extra 6 months to get used to his surroundings/teammates? Absolutely no advantage to us whatsoever.

parksey
12-05-2014, 09:57 PM

seriously how do you manage to contradict yourself with every second post?

Thomas477
12-05-2014, 10:06 PM
I'll be honest, if we could have got rid of January, I reckon we should have. There's no way he could have bitten us on the arse, unless he literally did so.

I side with the member, halo. Soz.

plague
12-05-2014, 10:25 PM
But doing it beforehand without any other reason would have been foolish. He might not have set the league on fire, but why give Heart a headstart by giving Brown an extra 6 months to get used to his surroundings/teammates? Absolutely no advantage to us whatsoever.

That's exactly right. The kid was a favourite of GVE but even then he struggled to get time after coming back from O/S. So what does that tell you? Does he really think he's going to get a regular first team spot at City?? I thought they'd have their sights set a lot higher than that. He has potential sure, but potential takes time and doesn't always pan out. I'd say nearly every one of Chapman's toys has been thrown out of the pram for them to mutually terminate - so good riddance.

So you dont want a rival to have an advantage over us by getting Brown 6 months early but you're ok for a rival to get an advantage over us by signing a player 12 months early?

(for the record I'd rather have kept them both for the duration of their contracts).

q-money
12-05-2014, 11:29 PM
chunk chapman is maybe a loss, a bloke that loves the burners can only be a good thing

brown has done nuffin, i reckon i've done dollar for dollar about ten squllions more for the jets than this bloke

q-money
12-05-2014, 11:32 PM
"Heart coach John van’t Schip and football manager John Didulica just spent several weeks in Manchester with City’s technical director Txiki Begiristain, academy director Brian Marwood and title-winning manager Manuel Pellegrini finetuning their recruiting and football strategy."

pelligrini to van't schip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNola2Bdwdc

Pico
13-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Joel Griffiths signs on with goal clearly in sight

By JAMES GARDINER
May 12, 2014, 10 p.m.

FOR Joel Griffiths the next 12 months is all about winning.

The 34-year-old striker yesterday recommitted to the Newcastle Jets until the end of the 2014-15 A-League season.

Although his body feels strong enough to play for a couple more campaigns, Griffiths understands that the window for winning titles is closing.

The club’s lone championship, seven years ago, was fuelled by Griffiths, who banged in 14 goals on the way to collecting the Golden Boot and Johnny Warren Medal.

Since that glorious day at Allianz Stadium on February 24, 2008, the Jets have qualified for the post season once, in 2009-10.

But Griffiths saw enough in the final eight games last season to be optimistic.

‘‘You look at other teams and go ‘how do we get to that level’,’’ Griffiths said

‘‘In the last few games, I knew we were going to score, and I felt we could win every game.

‘‘I had that feeling, which doesn’t really come a lot.

‘‘You need players who make a difference; the ones who score and make it 1-0 or make a big defensive play to protect a lead.

‘‘We need to get that mentality and we need to get it early.

‘‘I think we have the team to do it.’’

Griffiths is the first player signed since Phil Stubbins took charge a week ago.

‘‘I had a good chat to him before he left for the UK,’’ Griffiths said.

‘‘I like the fact that he is fresh. That is a positive.

‘‘He has a big job in the off-season to get as much quality into the team as possible.’’

Griffiths hopes David Carney is next to put pen to paper.

Like Griffiths, Carney arrived during the January transfer window and was just starting to hit form and fitness when the season ended.

‘‘I told the gaffer please do whatever you can to sign David Carney,’’ Griffiths said .

‘‘I have been trying my hardest to persuade Carney as well. He is a good fit for Newcastle.’’

Griffiths’s signature leaves the Jets with five places to fill, including potentially a marquee.

Marcos Flores played under Stubbins when he was an assistant coach in Adelaide.

The silky-skilled midfielder and 2010-11 Johnny Warren Medal winner has been released by the Central Coast Mariners and flies to Argentina on Sunday to complete his rehabilitation from a knee reconstruction.

Griffiths would welcome the attacking midfielder.

‘‘He is a clever player, he knows football and has that X-factor.’’

After leaving the Jets in 2009, Griffiths spent five seasons in China.

In his most recent stint in Newcastle, Griffiths scored three goals in eight games playing on the right side of midfield.

Most of his record 28 goals in 68 games for the Jets were as a striker, and with Emile Heskey unlikely to return and overseas clubs hovering over Adam Taggart, he may lead the line again.

In the meantime, Griffiths, wife Bianca and children Gizelle, 5, and Billy, 1, are house hunting.

‘‘We are looking to buy,’’ he said. ‘‘I love this town and love this club.

‘‘I don’t say those things to get people to like me.

‘‘There was interest from other clubs, but this is where I feel most comfortable and most at home.’’

Meanwhile, Taggart, Josh Brillante and Mark Birighitti have been at a mini-Socceroos training camp in Adelaide for the past week.

The 30-man preliminary squad for the World Cup is named tomorrow.

www.theherald.com.au/story/2277276/joel-griffiths-signs-on-with-goal-clearly-in-sight/?cs=303

:wub:

Pico
13-05-2014, 07:07 AM
Striker Joel Griffiths signs one-year deal with Newcastle Jets, praises new coach Phil Stubbins

News Corp Australia
May 12, 2014 2:07PM

FORMER A-League Golden Boot and Johnny Warren Medal winner Joel Griffiths has today signed a new one year deal with the Newcastle Jets.

Griffiths, who was the spearhead behind the Jets’ only A-League title win back in 2007-08, played the back end of last season with the club after spending five years in China.

During that period, he also had a short stint with Sydney FC.

All up, Griffiths has made 68 Hyundai A-League appearances for Newcastle, scoring 31 goals but says the lure of trying to win another title is the reason he has committed to another season at the Jets.

“To be honest, it wasn’t a tough decision to re-sign,” Griffiths said in a statement.

“This is the best club I’ve ever played for and I’m so grateful I’ve had the opportunity to come back to Newcastle and play for the Jets again.”

Griffiths said the appointment of new coach Phil Stubbins played a role in his decision.

“Once Phil Stubbins was appointed, I sat down with him and I really liked what he had to say and that helped seal the deal,” he said.

“I want to be remembered for winning two Championships in Newcastle, not just one and that’s what is driving me every day.

“The body feels good and I’m looking forward to hitting the ground running with a good pre-season and then hopefully everything will take care of itself.”

Jets CEO Robbie Middleby said Griffith’s re-signing is a real boost for the club.

“Joel gives his all for the Newcastle Jets every time he steps onto the pitch and that is exactly the type of player we want at this club,” Middleby said.

“He is a proven goalscorer and gives us valuable experience in the attacking third.

“Joel has achieved so much with the Jets in the past and we are very excited about his future with the club.”

The Jets, who released young defender Connor Chapman from the final year of his contract late last week and announced Josh Mitchell, Joey Gibbs and James Brown would not be retained, are currently trying to extend the contract of former Socceroo David Carney.

It’s understood Perth Glory is one of a number of rival clubs interested in Carney for next season

Did Perth end up signing Hersi from WSW, good couple of wide men if they manage to land carney as well.

pv4
13-05-2014, 07:12 AM
Did Perth end up signing Hersi from WSW, good couple of wide men if they manage to land carney as well.

Pretty sure Hersi signed on months ago at Perth. Whether it is "official" or not yet, I don't know.

Perth have Sidnei at LM, who I really rate. I can't see Carney playing LM ahead of him. They did just release Zahra (LB) though, so maybe Carney is being looked at as a LB there.

Premy
13-05-2014, 07:37 AM
I think Carney is waiting for the World Cup squad to be announced(I don't think he will be named) before he signs on anywhere. If he does make the squad then I think he'll wait till after the Cup to sign a contract, if he doesn't get named then I think he'll sign with us the day after Ange's announcement.

leftrightout
13-05-2014, 07:50 AM
I think Carney is waiting for the World Cup squad to be announced(I don't think he will be named) before he signs on anywhere. If he does make the squad then I think he'll wait till after the Cup to sign a contract, if he doesn't get named then I think he'll sign with us the day after Ange's announcement.

I never want Carney near the national team after the Asian cup, it hurt too much.
In saying that, i want him to sign for us as he was brilliant last year.
So lets pray Ange leaves him out!

GazFish35
13-05-2014, 07:50 AM
So, carney to be signing a contract very shortly.

hausmann
13-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Jets CEO Robbie Middleby said Griffith’s re-signing is a real boost for the club.

“Joel gives his all for the Newcastle Jets every time he steps onto the pitch and that is exactly the type of player we want at this club,” Middleby said.

“He is a proven goalscorer and gives us valuable experience in the attacking third.

“Joel has achieved so much with the Jets in the past and we are very excited about his future with the club.”

Bit of a change from the "We want to look forward not backward" position he used to take regarding Joel.

Your change in tune is belated but welcome.

Blackmac79
13-05-2014, 09:32 AM
I would like to think that the signings of Niel and Flores are not far behind. Add in a mysterious midfield brute to partner Zad from england and we are set.

Pico
13-05-2014, 11:49 AM
I would like to think that the signings of Niel and Flores are not far behind. Add in a mysterious midfield brute to partner Zad from england and we are set.

No need to sign another player to partner zads, he'll have plenty of blokes with him on the bench already.

Zico
13-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Brown and Chapman to Melb Heart

belchardo
13-05-2014, 03:44 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-13/sydney-fc-rules-out-bid-for-rio-ferdinand/5449988

seriously, how were they even linked to him?

joel31
13-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Brown and Chapman to Melb Heart
I posted that yesterday...

hawk
13-05-2014, 04:17 PM
and twice today

halo se7en
13-05-2014, 04:42 PM
So you dont want a rival to have an advantage over us by getting Brown 6 months early but you're ok for a rival to get an advantage over us by signing a player 12 months early?

(for the record I'd rather have kept them both for the duration of their contracts).

Big difference. Chapman - we would be keeping a player we have no intention of playing for a whole season which would disrupt everyone around him & take a squad spot that we'll more than likely fill in the off-season with someone better. The club would also be hugely chastised for stunting a future Socceroos growth. Brown leaving mid-season was only going to leave an empty spot in the roster & leave us one man short if we got hit with injuries. Club did good on both counts. Unless there was something in it for the Jets, letting a player leave in January is ludicrous.

Thomas477
13-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Big difference. Chapman - we would be keeping a player we have no intention of playing for a whole season which would disrupt everyone around him & take a squad spot that we'll more than likely fill in the off-season with someone better. The club would also be hugely chastised for stunting a future Socceroos growth. Brown leaving mid-season was only going to leave an empty spot in the roster & leave us one man short if we got hit with injuries. Club did good on both counts. Unless there was something in it for the Jets, letting a player leave in January is ludicrous.

I'll argue that losing brown and allowing one of the youth players to step up would have been a better option then keeping brown on for the rest of the season. Someone like kale springs to mind.

halo se7en
13-05-2014, 05:10 PM
I'll argue that losing brown and allowing one of the youth players to step up would have been a better option then keeping brown on for the rest of the season. Someone like kale springs to mind.

Signing Griffiths, Carney & Ward suggests that youth players stepping up wasn't the top priority ;) plus Oxborrow got a run so there was a chance for someone else but it was clearly the manager/s who chose not to, not squad space

goaliepersempre
13-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Hersi 2 year deal at perth officially announced on twitter

plague
13-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Although i still think you contradicted yourself just a little,
this comment:

Unless there was something in it for the Jets, letting a player leave in January (plague edit: OR EVER) is ludicrous.
is the stone cold truth, and the reason why I have such little faith in the mob running the joint

Jeterpool
14-05-2014, 06:21 AM
Herald says the Razzler is interested in a return to the Hunter

joel31
14-05-2014, 06:46 AM
You mean matt Thompson?

If so we don't need him. He's not quick enough now to play left back and we have better options in centre mid

The Dunster
14-05-2014, 06:57 AM

I think he played for Melbourne Heart and Sydney FC ? But I'm not 100% sure because I don't follow the careers of dickheads.

Jeterpool
14-05-2014, 06:58 AM
You mean matt Thompson?

If so we don't need him. He's not quick enough now to play left back and we have better options in centre mid

Yep. Thommo

plague
14-05-2014, 07:13 AM
That probably works out well.
Once we release Brilliante, Rubez and Kanta we'll need to have an experienced centre mid.
Razzler to get a 2 year Aussie marquee deal.

Pico
14-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Young Jets sweating on World Cup squad selection

By JAMES GARDINER
May 13, 2014, 10:30 p.m.

JETS Adam Taggart, Mark Birighitti and Josh Brillante are confident they have done everything possible to press their claims for a place in the Socceroos’ preliminary squad for the World Cup.

Now their fate lies in the hands of coach Ange Postecoglou, who will announce a 30-man squad in Sydney this morning for a two-week training camp in Terrigal that culminates with the Socceroos’ send-off match against South Africa at ANZ Stadium on May 26. The final squad of 23 for Brazil will be named on June2.

The Jets trio joined fellow A-League-based hopefuls Eugene Galekovic, Osama Malik, Tom Rogic, Mark Milligan and James Troisi at a six-day training camp under Socceroos assistant coach Aurelio Vidmar in Adelaide last week.

The camp focused on conditioning to ensure that the participants, who are in strong contention for the preliminary squad, were at a similar fitness level to those whose leagues have just ended.

Birighitti was dropped for the Jets’ final four games and travelled to Adelaide a week early to work with Galekovic and Adelaide goalkeeper coach Peter Blazincic.

Taggart and Brillante have not played since the Jets beat Adelaide 2-0 in the final round on April 11.

‘‘It is always good to be involved in the national team set-up,’’ Birighitti said.

‘‘To get called into a mini camp in Adelaide and be one step closer to going to a World Cup. Even to make the preliminary squad would be a dream come true.

‘‘I’m pretty sure there are five keepers they are looking at – myself, Eugene, Mitch Langerak, Matt Ryan and Brad Jones.

‘‘Four will be named in the 30 and will also travel to Brazil. They are taking an extra as a back-up.

‘‘At least I am in the picture. Fingers crossed I am one of the four picked, have a good couple of weeks in camp and prove myself.’’

Up front, Tim Cahill, Tom Rogic, Matthew Leckie and Josh Kennedy are almost certain to be picked.

Taggart is in a bunch with Dario Vidosic, James Troisi and Ben Halloran fighting for a place.

The Jets striker is fresh from a breakthrough A-League campaign in which he scored a club-record 16 goals to claim the A-League Golden Boot and Young Player of the Year awards.

‘‘I did all I could in the season,’’ Taggart said.

‘‘It is pretty exciting, but even if I get in the squad, there is still a long way to go.

‘‘The squad gets cut to 23 and there are a lot of great players available.

‘‘It was good to get in camp [in Adelaide] early, get a feel for things and understand what is expected.

‘‘You have to be ready. A lot of players are still in their domestic leagues.

‘‘For myself I felt like I needed it and got a lot of benefit from it.’’

Brillante said selection in the preliminary squad would cap an amazing season.

‘‘It is good to be in and around the national team, knowing that you are not far off and they are keeping an eye on you,’’ he said.

‘‘Just being involved in the mini camp. If I am lucky enough to be in that 30, it would be incredible.’’

World Cup selection would also increase the trio’s chances of a move overseas.

Birighitti has been in talks with German club Bayer Leverkusen, which he said were progressing.

‘‘A new coach has come in, but that hasn’t affected my chances,’’ he said.

‘‘They had a lot of stuff going on and I was last on the list of priorities. Now that the season is over and they have qualified for Champions League, hopefully in the next few weeks something will be concrete.’’

Meanwhile, the Jets are continuing talks with David Carney. Former skipper Matt Thompson is also interested in a return to the Hunter.

In New Zealand, Wellington released Carlos Hernandez from his A-League contract the same day he was named in Costa Rica’s provisional squad for the World Cup.

Perth have signed Western Sydney striker Youssouf Hersi for two seasons.

www.theherald.com.au/story/2279767/young-jets-sweating-on-world-cup-squad-selection/?cs=306

So Birraz not fazed by the coach sacking in Germany.

Sort of weird that it says Thommo wants a return to the hunter, but not that the club is interested or negotiating.

pv4
14-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Thommo is currently playing for Marconi in the NSWPL. Honestly it can't hurt to have someone from the club keep tabs on how he is doing. I feel like there would be much better options, but if we're going to sign a utility type player I wouldn't mind seeing a guy who has been at the club before be that man (assuming he is fit enough).

Signing Thommo would be awesome for the Bridges Brigade. A former club legend who is now heaps divisive in fans opinion who has recently been forced out of the game but could make a return whilst having mixed on-field form. Their kinda guy! Probably doesn't have the accent needed for them, though.

leftrightout
14-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Could do worse than Thompson. Plenty of people here keep saying how we need some squad players. Why not a guy who can do a decent job in multiple positions. He would have to be on peanuts though.

Jetmaster
14-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Would be wrong to see Birraz go to Brazil - he has not played first team football for two months (Ange's criteria).

I reckon Griff maybe behind getting Thommo back - they were buds.

Blackmac79
14-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Thommo needs to apologise first.

GazFish35
14-05-2014, 09:11 AM
I reckon Griff maybe behind getting Thommo back - they were buds.

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/da/da9be6eb3ab65eb9d4f93e2cdd4b6c9134633ad1e80f571894 7dc7bbdea697f6.jpg

Mark325
14-05-2014, 12:44 PM
For those who haven't heard

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2281181/three-jets-named-in-socceroos-world-cup-squad/?cs=306

Taggart, Brillante and Birrighitti all made it through too the 30 man squad. Safe to say Taggart is most likely to get a run out of the three. I'd say Birighitti is least likely, Langerak and Ryan are more likely to get in ahead of him

MFKS
14-05-2014, 12:55 PM
You mean matt Thompson?

If it means getting Gallaway out of the side then that is something well worth doing

WolfMan
14-05-2014, 05:42 PM
4x 'keepers to be named in the final 23-man squad? Absurd waste of a spot

plague
14-05-2014, 05:59 PM
4x 'keepers to be named in the final 23-man squad? Absurd waste of a spot

No.
Only 3 in squad. Talk of a fourth going as part of the touring party. Won't be able to be selected etc etc.

WolfMan
14-05-2014, 07:54 PM
No.
Only 3 in squad. Talk of a fourth going as part of the touring party. Won't be able to be selected etc etc.

Ahh ok, cheers for clearing that up

GazFish35
14-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Schwarzer should be the fourth keeper tbh.

Hunter403
14-05-2014, 08:54 PM
We should only take 2 keepers.

Grimario
14-05-2014, 08:56 PM
We should only take 2 keepers.

Squad rules = minimum 3.

Hunter403
14-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Squad rules = minimum 3.

Rules are rules I guess but it seems a waste of a spot

Thomas477
14-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Rules are rules I guess but it seems a waste of a spot

Maybe, but if your first choice keeper gets injured, you need to have one to replace him, and one to replace that guy as backup.

3x Keepers
1 first choice in each position + 1 back up, gives 23.

lil_masi
15-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Carney signs for 2 years

Premy
15-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Carney signs for 2 years
http://m.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastle-jets-news-display/Carney-signs-on-for-two-more-years/90509/5

q-money
15-05-2014, 11:49 AM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Carney-signs-on-for-two-more-years/90509

The Newcastle Jets have re-signed David Carney to a two-year contract extension, keeping him at the Club until the end of 2015/16 Hyundai A-League season.

The versatile 30-year-old, who has been capped 48 times for the Australian national team, joined the Jets late last season after a stint playing for New York Red Bulls in Major League Soccer (MLS) in the United States.

Carney follows Joel Griffiths as the second member of the Jets’ 2013/14 Hyundai A-League squad to re-sign with the Club following the appointment of Phil Stubbins as Head Coach last week.

Carney said he was excited to have secured his future in Newcastle for a further two seasons.

“I’ve really enjoyed the vibe since I’ve been in Newcastle and I’m happy to have signed on for a couple more years,” Carney said.

“I’m confident we can go into next season and have a good crack at it and give this town what it deserves, which is a team that not only makes the playoffs but is able to achieve even more than that.

“I was really pleased when I had the chance to sit down with Phil and discuss his plans for the team.

“I think with the new coach and the squad we’re building, there are some really exciting times ahead for the Jets.”

Carney made seven appearances for the Jets last season, playing primarily as a left-winger and contributing three goal assists.

“I think in the last few games of the season I was just starting to get myself really fit and find some good form,” Carney said.

“I’m focused on working hard during the pre-season and hopefully myself and the rest of the lads can start the year with a bang.”

Newcastle Jets CEO Robbie Middleby said re-signing a player of Carney’s calibre was a big positive for the Club.

“We’re delighted that David has opted to re-sign with the Jets for two more seasons,” Middleby said.

“David has a wealth of experience having previously played at the highest level in Europe and representing Australia on the international stage at the 2010 World Cup and 2011 Asian Cup.

“David is excited to be part of the Jets’ future and is looking forward to making a big impact in the A-League next season with a full pre-season under his belt.”

hausmann
15-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Guess I better set my membership back to automatic renewal then. That's really good news.

Grimario
15-05-2014, 11:56 AM
What the **** are the Jets doing, seriously?

All this positive news coming out of the club is sure to set expectations WAY too high for next season. We need Taggart, Biraz and Beard to be sold for peanuts so we can have some hate mail coming out and levelling us off a little bit.

Premy
15-05-2014, 11:59 AM

So, carney to be signing a contract very shortly.
Just saying who seen that coming on today of all days?

Captain Obvious
15-05-2014, 12:08 PM

Premy did.

Jeterpool
15-05-2014, 12:19 PM

My first thought. Good call

Jeterpool
15-05-2014, 12:20 PM
What the **** are the Jets doing, seriously?

All this positive news coming out of the club is sure to set expectations WAY too high for next season. We need Taggart, Biraz and Beard to be sold for peanuts so we can have some hate mail coming out and levelling us off a little bit.

Maybe it was Deans' fault afterall?

plague
15-05-2014, 12:24 PM
What's a '2 year contract'?

MFKS
15-05-2014, 01:06 PM
FMD :yay::wtf:

What the **** is going on at Jets HQ??

All of a sudden these ****s are on the ball and getting some decisions right.

Deans must have been a much bigger influence holding the organisation back than we originally believed.

He goes and positive shit happens

hausmann
15-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Does anyone doubt that Joel's words to Carney had a major influence on his decision to stay?

GazFish35
15-05-2014, 01:18 PM
how they potentialy deal with needing to replace Brillante, taggart and Birraz will be a bigger test.

getting Stubbins griff and carney is graet start though, coupled with Bridges' retirment :)

GazFish35
15-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Does anyone doubt that Joel's words to Carney had a major influence on his decision to stay?

That, and the world cup squad announcement

leftrightout
15-05-2014, 01:40 PM
how they potentialy deal with needing to replace Brillante, taggart and Birraz will be a bigger test

This.... we will truly be able to judge how they have gone when this happens

Mark325
15-05-2014, 04:41 PM
Along with the re-signing of Carney, Sydney signed up Jurman for a year which means we don't have to deal with that **** in our defence. Overall, good day

Rocky
15-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Along with the re-signing of Carney, Sydney signed up Jurman for a year which means we don't have to deal with that **** in our defence. Overall, good day

Give it a week, sky will fall, business as usual.

That being said though, I'm actually feeling kind of hopeful and positive for the upcoming season for a change! All this good news and we still have 2 marquee spots (couldn't find anything in the article about Carney taking one). Stoked.

jim wallis
16-05-2014, 07:43 PM
All this good news and we still have 2 marquee spots (couldn't find anything in the article about Carney taking one). Stoked.

what good news? we have signed some players who helped us get 7th. Granted, not stuffing up is regarded as fantastic. until we ADD some quality aint no shit changed.

GazFish35
16-05-2014, 07:48 PM
what good news? we have signed some players who helped us get 7th. Granted, not stuffing up is regarded as fantastic. until we ADD some quality aint no shit changed.

A solid reality check. Though it could be argued that carney and griff helped us get seventh instead on 9th.

Jeterpool
16-05-2014, 08:39 PM

Jim, you can't blame the players we have re-signed in the last week or so for the whole season, can you?

Would you say they are better than the options we were putting up before?

I think they saved us from a far worse result - as Gary has mentioned. Let's give them an off season and see what Stubbins delivers.

jim wallis
16-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Jim, you can't blame the players we have re-signed in the last week or so for the whole season, can you?

Would you say they are better than the options we were putting up before?

I think they saved us from a far worse result - as Gary has mentioned. Let's give them an off season and see what Stubbins delivers.

Defintiley not blaming for the whole season but referring to that there are no decent new editions as yet so the administration doesnt deserve a good wrap yet.

Not judging stubbies until we see some results.

GazFish35
16-05-2014, 10:50 PM

Does that mean if we don't see results you won't judge him?

Jeterpool
17-05-2014, 07:07 AM
Defintiley not blaming for the whole season but referring to that there are no decent new editions as yet so the administration doesnt deserve a good wrap yet.

At this stage Griffiths and Carney have replaced Brown and Gibbs/Bridges. I reckon that's an upgrade on those players contributions last season. There is a chance, however, Griffiths may end up being the Heskey replacement which I accept.

Despite this, however, Carney was one of our top assist providers. And even though he only played 8 games, Griffiths was our second top scorer. We have re-signed some valuable contributions to the team and released those that didn't.

I can see your point and how it looks on the surface. Dig a little deeper, however, and it's not for lack of trying from these two players.

If we recruit players who can either take advantage of the opportunities Carney creates or give Griffiths a chance to score more then we've improved. I think, and it's only my opinion, we've retained the quality and removed the dross. If you were questioning the retention of Brown, Ward, Gibbs etc then yes I'd agree.

Blackmac79
17-05-2014, 10:04 AM
I was never a middleby doubter.

But he is converting some I am sure at the moment.

Mark325
17-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Griffiths may end up being the Heskey replacement which I accept.

If we don't keep Taggart for next season I would say make Griff our Taggart replacement and sign someone else too be our Heskey replacement.

Grimario
17-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Only because I signed him in FIFA last night... but Marko Futacs is a perfect Heskey replacement.

jim wallis
17-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Does that mean if we don't see results you won't judge him?

well not all on results. does he have hot daughters?

lquiquer
18-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Smeltz released by Perth

Premy
18-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Smeltz released by Perth
Would be a good replacement for Heskey or Tagz at the right price. Surely Phoenix and Sydney would be favourites to sign him.

Jeterpool
18-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Smeltz released by Perth

Player with a point to prove...lack of pace is the only problem I see. If we don't retain Taggart we will be quite a slow team. If we do retain Taggart, I see Smeltz really only sitting on the bench.

Mark325
18-05-2014, 12:04 PM
If Brisbane doesn't pick him up stein huysegems would be a pretty good pick up

Jeterpool
18-05-2014, 12:17 PM
If Brisbane doesn't pick him up stein huysegems would be a pretty good pick up

Either way, it's a visa spot...we've got a few so maybe we could use one on them. Jets always seem to have a visa spot for the bench

GazFish35
18-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Tyson released by WSW.
If birraz goes OS after the WC it looks like a HSG signing to me.

Tommyjet
18-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Either way, it's a visa spot...we've got a few so maybe we could use one on them. Jets always seem to have a visa spot for the bench

I reckon stubbsy is in England to catch a couple of recently released championship players like Michael chopra to fill our visa spots

Mark325
18-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Smeltz released by Perth

Smeltz signed by Sydney
http://m.footballaustralia.com.au/sydney-fc-news-display/Sydney-FC-Signs-Shane-Smeltz/90539/10

joel31
18-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Smeltz signed by Sydney
http://m.footballaustralia.com.au/sydney-fc-news-display/Sydney-FC-Signs-Shane-Smeltz/90539/10
not suprising. No other team will be able to fit him under the cap

The Dunster
18-05-2014, 05:00 PM
not suprising. No other team will be able to fit him under the cap

I hope he likes tin tuna.

hawk
18-05-2014, 08:17 PM
I reckon stubbsy is in England to catch a couple of recently released championship players like Michael chopra to fill our visa spots

1st thought is captain obvious please, but there may be a jewel too be found around those leagues

Premy
18-05-2014, 08:49 PM
I reckon stubbsy is in England to catch a couple of recently released championship players like Michael chopra to fill our visa spotsI reckon he was there to watch his beloved Hull in the F.A Cup final. Bit of a Holiday back home before he comes back to work.

plague
18-05-2014, 09:16 PM
there may be a jewel too be found around those leagues

would be happy with one of these two
http://www.premierleague.gr/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/paul-jewell.jpg
http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Jewel-jewel-321648_500_400.jpg

Pico
19-05-2014, 10:19 AM
So NSW Venues has no cash to repair let alone replace the cow paddock that is Hunter Stadiums pitch but on the bright side they are looking to throw some coin at the independent SCG Trust…..

New hi-tech plan for Allianz Stadium has footy fans covered

Exclusive John Lehmann Editor-at-Large
The Daily Telegraph
May 19, 2014 12:00AM

A $250 million plan is being proposed to transform the out-of-date Allianz Stadium into a hi-tech, fully-roofed entertainment facility to help Sydney’s sports teams shore up their financial futures.

A new master plan for the 44,000-seat venue at Moore Park includes upgraded seating, quality food outlets and super-fast Wi-fi to dramatically improve fans’ match-day experience.

Expanded entry gates, digital video signage and live fan sites will use special lighting systems to enable the stadium to adopt the colours of the “home” teams for different matches.

The master plan, by the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust, includes a permanent see-through roof, which would turn Allianz into Australia’s premier all-weather rectangular stadium.

It would also help Sydney attract more tourists and generate economic activity by staging global sporting events like the successful Los Angeles Dodgers’ baseball season opener.

Sport minister Stuart Ayres, who will consider the Allianz upgrade while finalising the government’s stadium investment strategy, said he wants to “roll out the red carpet” to more top American sporting franchises, including ice hockey and basketball teams.

NRL chief executive Dave Smith is a strong supporter of the plan and wrote to former premier Barry O’Farrell last month lobbying for $18 million to be allocated in next month’s state Budget.

About $13 million would be spent installing Wi-fi and internet TV by next March, enabling fans to watch unique replays of the sports action on their phones, access live statistics and order food and drinks.

A similar hi-tech system was recently introduced in the SCG’s new stand, which has also seen fans spending on food and drinks more than double since the quality was lifted at the Ashes Test in January.

Mr Smith said Sydney needed world-class rectangular stadiums to attract more spectators and provide a better experience. He said better stadiums would drive bigger revenues for NRL clubs, which under different deals share a cut of ticket and merchandising sales, corporate hospitality and advertising signage.

“From a financial perspective, quality seating, quality facilities, quality corporate areas all contribute to a better financial position for the game and for our clubs,’’ he said.

Mr Smith said the NRL was “willing to be part of discussions on possible ways to fund” the upgrade, which the Trust wants completed by 2020.

The NRL has battled to increase crowd numbers over the past decade and at least half of the 16 clubs are struggling financially.

Trust chairman Tony Shepherd said Allianz was “tired” and “desperately needs work”.

“Allianz hasn’t had one cent of public money spent on it ever — it was built with members’ money in 1988,’’ he said.

He said Sydney needed sports facilities worthy of a global city and was slipping behind Melbourne.

“We’ve got to stop thinking like Mickey Mouse and just doing a little bit here and a little bit there — the world will pass us by,’’ he said.

“Let’s be honest, the Yarra Park precinct in Melbourne is world-class, but our facilities in Sydney need investment. Melbourne has just announced plans to spend another $700 million on a tennis centre that we would love to have.’’

Allianz is home to the NSW Waratahs, Sydney Roosters and Sydney FC, and hosts rugby league and rugby union Test matches and Socceroos internationals.

BUILDING A PREMIER PRECINCT

A new indoor cricket centre is part of a $90 million plan to establish a high-performance sports centre at the SCG.

The project, known as Sports Central, would include a terraced building featuring fitness facilities, a rooftop swimming pool and a childcare centre.

The SCG Trust is close to finalising a deal with a well-known Sydney university to establish a sports medicine and hospitality campus within this building.

The nearby cricket centre, the home of Cricket NSW, would feature 12 indoor practice wickets, a 60-seat theatrette and a digital coaching centre located underneath a 16-wicket turf training area.

The Sports Central plan also includes an entertainment plaza, featuring an ANZAC memorial dedicated to more than 1000 NSW men and women who have played on the famous grounds and served in Australian defence forces.

The Trust is aiming to further broaden the Moore Park sports precinct and hopes the Sydney Kings basketballers will relocate to the Hordern Pavilion and Sydney Blue Sox to the old Sydney showground.

Cricket NSW chief executive Andrew Jones said Sydney’s cricket facilities had fallen behind those in Brisbane and Adelaide.

“We see a lot of money being spent in AFL, but cricket has many more participants and generates far higher TV ratings,’’ he said.

POLES SALE TO EMPOWER $30 BILLION GRAND PLAN

Fast-rising Baird government minister Stuart Ayres reckons voters are not really in love with power poles.

“Do you really want to go up to the power pole outside your home, wrap your arms around it and say I love owning you?’’ he told a Committee for Sydney meeting in Parramatta.

Mr Ayres believes Sydneysiders might be more enamoured with better roads, rail services, sports venues and cultural facilities.

Of course, many of these goodies can only be funded if Premier Mike Baird wins support at the 2015 election to sell the state’s electricity assets. That will be the central battleground of the election, with Labor glued to its ideological opposition to such a sale.

The key to the Baird government’s success will be deciding in the months ahead how the proceeds from such a sale — expected to be about $30 billion — will be invested and then exciting voters in those plans.

Expect much jockeying from various interest groups — including the major sports codes and venues — to get on the Premier’s shopping list.

It is time to invest in major stadiums. We are a sporting town but venues like Allianz have been neglected.

Previous governments spent $280 million in eight years patching up suburban grounds, rather than major stadiums like Melbourne and Brisbane have done.

At least Mr Ayres is on the right track, saying recently his focus will be on improving the SCG Trust venues and Homebush’s ANZ Stadium.

belchardo
19-05-2014, 10:41 AM
geez, how good is that article! nice little puff piece about funding a stadium upgrade written by what appears to be a tame journalist, slide in that it'll only get funding if you sell off existing assets, then get in a subtle jab at labor and their "ideological opposition".

gold. whatever spin doctor set that one up will have earned their Christmas bonus already!

anyway Pico, surely our $250m stadium upgrade is part of the port lease proceeds!

northern_swan
19-05-2014, 10:56 AM
So NSW Venues has no cash to repair let alone replace the cow paddock that is Hunter Stadiums pitch but on the bright side they are looking to throw some coin at the independent SCG Trust…..

NSW doesn't exist outside the walls of the big city. The mere idea of having anything more than tokenistic election sweeteners done in the provinces is fanciful :deadhorse:

plague
19-05-2014, 11:14 AM
You only have to look at the names on the board of the SCG trust to understand why they get stuff done.
We seem to have a bunch of people just happy to have a job and not cause a fuss.

Premy
19-05-2014, 11:19 AM
anyway Pico, surely our $250m stadium upgrade is part of the port lease proceeds!
Money made in the Hunter spent in the Hunter what utopia are you living in Grim.

Grimario
19-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Money made in the Hunter spent in the Hunter what utopia are you living in Grim.

Say what?

Premy
19-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Say what?
My bad I don't know what I read then total thought that was your post I quoted...

carry on nothing to see here.

Grimario
19-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Okay.

And if you want the answer to that question, the utopia I am living in is called Adelaide. It's lovely.

Pico
19-05-2014, 11:51 AM

Yeah I can see the pigs in flight now. I'm not sure if that was a newspaper article or a government memo.

I wonder how much of this $30b we'll see in the hunter, if any.

Premy
19-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Okay.

And if you want the answer to that question, the utopia I am living in is called Adelaide. It's lovely.
Maybe that's what I was thinking subconsciously.

Yeah I can see the pigs in flight now. I'm not sure if that was a newspaper article or a government memo.

I wonder how much of this $30b we'll see in the hunter, if any.
Easy take 10 apple's
Times them by 3
Subtract 10
Divide that by 5
Then take 4 away.

WolfMan
19-05-2014, 03:54 PM
would be happy with one of these two
http://www.premierleague.gr/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/paul-jewell.jpg
http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Jewel-jewel-321648_500_400.jpg

Both play Foolish Games TBH

snake
19-05-2014, 05:57 PM
time to secede from straya, let alone nsw

Blackmac79
19-05-2014, 07:30 PM
time to secede from straya, let alone nsw

make it happen.

lquiquer
20-05-2014, 10:00 AM
@FOXFOOTBALL: Fox Sports understands @SydneyFC have turned down an approach from the management team of former Argentinian striker Javier Saviola.
Would be a good signing?

Bon
20-05-2014, 10:09 AM
@FOXFOOTBALL: Fox Sports understands @SydneyFC have turned down an approach from the management team of former Argentinian striker Javier Saviola.
Would be a good signing?

Normally Sydney are the greedy, corpulent fat-kid at the party, attempting to take everything in sight.. The fact they turned this guy down is an immediate concern and would have me questioning why..

joel31
20-05-2014, 10:46 AM
we should sign him

Jeterpool
20-05-2014, 10:58 AM
Would be a good signing?

Playing at a fair level, and still scoring goals. Perhaps...

My concern is that we are filling our front third with very little pace. With the exception of taggart we weren't overly quick.

However, it depends on what system Stubbins wants to play.

joel31
20-05-2014, 11:30 AM
From what i remember of Saviola he is pretty mobile. More mobile then Heskey. Seeing as Heskey and probs Taggart are leaving we could get a mobile winger as well as Saviola.

his stats in a better league than us but also in the Champions League are impressive
http://www.whoscored.com/Players/2183/Show/Javier-Saviola

The Dunster
20-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Saviola is still pretty quick. and would be more than capable of winning the golden boot in the A-league. The only minus I can think of is that he's under 170cm tall so the physical part of the A-league may not suit him.

Personally, I'd be very happy to see him play as a Jet.

MFKS
20-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Saviola is still pretty quick. and would be more than capable of winning the golden boot in the A-league. The only minus I can think of is that he's under 170cm tall so the physical part of the A-league may not suit him.

Personally, I'd be very happy to see him play as a Jet.

Didn't suit ADP either.

Class players just bludge defensively and then do the business with the ball to justify their big bucks.

With this blokes pedigree and experience in the game I am sure he would have worked out how to play against robust physical players hacking the shit out of him all day

The Dunster
20-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Didn't suit ADP either.

Class players just bludge defensively and then do the business with the ball to justify their big bucks.

With this blokes pedigree and experience in the game I am sure he would have worked out how to play against robust physical players hacking the shit out of him all day

I'd agree. If you look at his goals in Greece he's too slippery for defences even at 32 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb4W3f4EWR8

Frodo
20-05-2014, 01:56 PM
He is definitely a level above the HAL. Watched him a bit this year and he doesn't play like a 32 year old at all.
Olympiacos sold their main striker mid season to Fulham and they will be losing Joel Campbell back to Arsenal so he would have plenty of opportunities to play next season, and they have Champion's league football. He only signed a 2 year deal at the start of this season and played plenty games.. so i would be surprised if he came to the HAL this season.

If he does sign for the jets i would definitely be a happy little Vegemite. Just not getting my hopes up.

Pico
21-05-2014, 07:05 AM
So apparently we are safe & business as usual....

Jets safe in A-League: FFA

By JAMES GARDINER
May 20, 2014, 10:30 p.m.

FOOTBALL Federation Australia has given assurances that the Newcastle Jets’ future in the A-League is secure as embattled owner Nathan Tinkler is poised to relinquish control of the Knights.

Hunter Sports Group, which operates the Knights and the Jets on behalf of Tinkler, has been in an ownership wrangle with the Knights Members Club after the former billionaire defaulted on a $10.52million bank guarantee on March 31 – a fundamental breach of the 2011 privatisation agreement.

The situation reached crisis point on Thursday when HSG failed to pay about 20 players and staff their monthly wages.

It has been business as usual for the Jets, but there has been growing concern among fans that the Knights’ troubles will flow on to the A-League club. FFA has been monitoring the developments with the Knights.

‘‘FFA has discussed the situation with the Newcastle Jets management today and we have been given an update on the club’s off-season plans,’’ an FFA spokesperson told the Newcastle Herald yesterday.

‘‘However, FFA is not in a position to comment about Hunter Sports Group’s business interests and dealings.

‘‘FFA can reaffirm its commitment to Newcastle’s place in the Hyundai A-League for season 10 and beyond.’’

The Jets’ wages are due in line with the rest of Hunter Sports Group staff, including the Knights, on the 15th of every month.

A-League players, through their union, Professional Footballers Australia, negotiated a safety net to ensure salaries were met in the most recent collective bargaining agreement. The FFA distributes $2.45million in grants to each club which basically covers the salary cap.

The Herald has learnt that clubs have a written commitment to FFA that the distribution will be used for payroll only, which includes superannuation. On that basis, Jets players’ entitlements should be up to date.

The Australian Tax Office launched wind-up proceedings against HSG, the Knights and Jets over $3.19 million in unpaid tax 18 months ago.

The debt was subsequently settled. There has been speculation that Tinkler is positioning the Jets to be put on the market.

www.theherald.com.au/story/2295869/jets-safe-in-a-league-ffa/?cs=306

joel31
21-05-2014, 09:26 AM
good. Hopefully they are looking for potential buyers

plague
21-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Oh and it seems that no one remembered that SFS can't increase capacity or undergo major renovations til 2030 due to a deal with Olympic stadium and state govt.
No roof for you.

GazFish35
21-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Toby must be expecting a call.

hawk
21-05-2014, 01:39 PM
There has been speculation that Tinkler is positioning the Jets to be put on the market

that be straight outa nf.net braz

belchardo
25-05-2014, 11:30 AM
there will be a story on ABC 7:30 tomorrow night about corruption in socceroos matches. i don't think they're alleging match fixing by socceroos players, but by players from opposition teams in matches played in foreign countries.

what a pity i'll miss it as i'll be watching the socceroos match!

halo se7en
25-05-2014, 01:54 PM
there will be a story on ABC 7:30 tomorrow night about corruption in socceroos matches. i don't think they're alleging match fixing by socceroos players, but by players from opposition teams in matches played in foreign countries.

What an interesting time to air that story…

hawk
25-05-2014, 09:10 PM

if theres competition theres corruption on some level. remember the game where players were trying to score a goal in their own net. Just another easy story to fill airtime. Bit like saying lets do a story on bullying. happens in every school, every day, easy. I 'll put $5 on "damning evidence" being said. just gotta make a call, toots.

MFKS
26-05-2014, 06:07 PM
http://www.insideworldfootball.com/world-football/europe/14708-dutch-poised-to-roll-out-video-referee-system-after-tests-prove-positive

In a move that seems bound to be strongly opposed by the game's authorities, the Dutch football federation (KNVB) wants to introduce video technology from next season. For the past year the Dutch have been experimenting with an unofficial pilot scheme but will need the permission of the game's lawmakers, the International FA Board, to make it permanent.

Like the English Premier League, top-flight Dutch clubs have already implemented goalline technology which has been now approved by FIFA and will be used for the World Cup. But expanding this to include further video aids seems likely to be considered a step too far. UEFA president Michel Platini, for one, is fiercely opposed and has ruled out any sort of technological aid in UEFA competitions.

Nevertheless project manager Gijs de Jong said: "The KNVB is of the opinion that the video referee is the future of football. That is why we would like to further develop this system and officially use the video referee in the next season.

"We are very happy with the first year. In 24 (games) we have used the video referee, 22 of the games being in the top division, and there was an average of two to three situations in which resolution by the video referee would have been of benefit.

"If our proposals are accepted, it would represent a revolutionary step in football: We would then be the world's only country working in football with a video referee."

FMD:blush::banghead:

Can't people just accept that the refereeing decisions not being perfect are what makes the game great??

Even the ****ing video regularly gets it wrong

**** How much breath has been wasted discussing whether that goal in the 66 WC Final actually crossed the line

WolfMan
26-05-2014, 07:02 PM
100% agree MFKS. Video ref killed rugby league, amongst other things

Jetmaster
26-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Always say....mistakes are the essence of sport. A game of football with no mistakes would be pretty sterile. Bring video refs when the players and coaches are perfect themselves.

hawk
26-05-2014, 07:38 PM
100% agree MFKS. Video ref killed rugby league, amongst other things

Good.

As for use in top flight football, it's something that we probably should get right. just put it in stop listening whining sh1tcunce (me included).

Arguments can still be had over offsides, fouls, poodle dogs on fields etc

plague
26-05-2014, 08:26 PM
the Fifas wont even allow refs to be miked up, sif they are gonna allow video review.
The only thing video should be used for is to identify and prosecute people who start Mexican waves.
thats the biggest blight on our game at the moment.

belchardo
27-05-2014, 06:46 AM

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-26/730-socer-match-fixing-story/5479174

Pico
28-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Jets skipper Ruben Zadkovich ​poised for Perth move

By JAMES GARDINER
May 27, 2014, 10 p.m.

NEWCASTLE Jets captain Ruben Zadkovich is close to finalising a move to A-League rivals Perth.

Zadkovich, 28, has a year to run on his contract in Newcastle, but sources have told the Newcastle Herald that the Jets have agreed to release the feisty midfielder.

The Perth deal is for two years with a year option and could be completed as early as today.

Zadkovich has called Newcastle home for the past four years. He met his fiancee in the city and took great pride in wearing the Jets armband.

However, the security of potentially an extra two years beyond his Jets contract was enough to lure the Bulli-bred enforcer out west.

Glory signed Brisbane defensive midfielder Diogo Ferreira yesterday but consider Zadkovich a like-for-like replacement for retired skipper Jacob Burns.

Burns, 36, was one of eight players released by Glory coach Kenny Lowe, who was given the job full-time last month.

Apart from Ferreira, Lowe has brought striker Dino Djulbic back from Abu Dhabi and recruited Youssouf Hersi from Western Sydney Wanderers.

Zadkovich’s imminent departure will free up about $220,000 a year in the Jets’ salary cap.

He was close to joining English Championship club Millwall at the start of last season, but the clubs could not agree on a transfer fee. Instead, he stayed in the Hunter and was the only Jet to play in all 27 games.

Midfield is one area where the Jets have depth.

Josh Brillante, Ben Kantarovski and Zenon Caravella were used in tandem with Zadkovich last campaign. Jacob Pepper is also adept in the centre of the park and Young Socceroo Mitch Oxborrow is expected to push for a regular spot this season.

Zadkovich joined the Jets from then English Championship club Derby County in 2010 and was made captain in February 2013 after the mid-season release of Jobe Wheelhouse.

He won the club’s Ray Baartz Medal that year and earned a Socceroos recall for the East Asian Cup.

www.theherald.com.au/story/2312171/jets-skipper-ruben-zadkovich-poised-for-perth-move/?cs=303

Can't see any dramas with zads leaving gives Stubbins more cap and more squad space to work with, be interesting to see who the new captain is.

Pico
28-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Jets coach Phil Stubbins' first task to fill squad vacancies

By JAMES GARDINER
May 27, 2014, 10 p.m.

PHIL Stubbins is yet to meet owner Nathan Tinkler, but the Jets coach hopes the A-League club benefits after the mining magnate’s decision to relinquish control of the Knights.

Tinkler has also sold his horse racing operation, Patinack Farm, leaving the Jets as his sporting flagship.

‘‘Hopefully, from a selfish point of view, Nathan sends a lot of direction to the Jets,’’ Stubbins told the Newcastle Herald yesterday.

‘‘Now he can really focus on us as the entity, his Newcastle baby, so to speak.’’

Stubbins, who signed a two-year deal this month, said it was full steam ahead as he began preparations for his first season in charge of an A-League club.

‘‘The plans have not shifted,’’ he said. ‘‘I have spoken to [CEO] Robbie Middleby daily about everything that is going on. It is business as usual.’’

After a short trip to Thailand to finalise his departure from previous club Ayutthaya, Stubbins has spent the past fortnight in Adelaide, where his wife, Anna, has a business.

He cancelled a trip to the United Kingdom.

‘‘I wanted to hit the ground running so I thought it was better to stay here and put preparations in place.’’

He travels to Townsville tomorrow to finalise the Jets’ involvement in a pre-season tournament with Brisbane and Sydney FC in August and arrives in Newcastle on June 6.

The Jets start pre-season on June 16.

Stubbins’s priority is completing his squad and has at least five places, including potentially a marquee, to fill.

He is close to signing a defender to replace Connor Chapman, who was released to join Melbourne Heart.

The Jets have been in talks with Michael Beauchamp, but Stubbins would not elaborate on whether the former Western Sydney Wanderers skipper would replace Chapman.

‘‘There is somebody we have organised at the back,’’ he said. ‘‘Pending dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s, that will be a good signing.

‘‘We have also looked at the pointy end. We have to get more goals from different sources. We have looked at an attacking midfielder and also a striker. That might lead to two strikers if Adam Taggart was to leave.’’

Perth Glory flyer Chris Harold has been linked to the Jets, despite having a year to run on his contract in the west.

‘‘He is a name that has popped up,’’ Stubbins said. ‘‘He brings a fleet of foot and has a dynamism about his play.

‘‘I know that [Glory coach] Kenny Lowe is trying to balance his squad, which is difficult with the salary cap. There is nothing concrete.

‘‘There are a lot of names on the table, a few from overseas that we are down the road a little bit with in terms of bringing them to the club.

‘‘Whether that falls into place you never know.’’

Stubbins has a close association with former Adelaide attacking midfielder and Johnny Warren medallist Marcos Flores, who has been released by the Mariners.

The skilful playmaker has returned to Argentina to complete the final stage of rehabilitation from a knee reconstruction and is keen to return to the A-League.

‘‘I spoke things through with the club about Marcos,’’ Stubbins said. ‘‘He certainly has some attributes that can help any team in the A-League.

‘‘The injury he sustained is a road block, but he has been a great player. We are trying to explore every avenue to help us bring the right players in.’’

Given the Jets’ costly experience with Jason Culina and his knee injury, Flores would need to satisfy a stringent physical assessment and trial period.

Stubbins said he was expecting a major contribution on and off the field from veterans Joel Griffiths and David Carney, who have inked one- and two-year deals respectively.

‘‘We needed some experience around the place. Joel was a no-brainer. He is Newcastle through and through. He knows the club and I, along with the rest of the staff, will put an onus on him to lead.

‘‘David Carney is another one. He has terrific experience and is a left-sided player as well, which are hard to come by. When I spoke to him face to face and digged in to where he wants to go with all this ... he has not had that rock of stability in terms of playing for a club week-in week-out.’’

Socceroos trio Taggart, Josh Brillante and Mark Birighitti have been linked to overseas moves, but Stubbins said he was planning for the contracted trio to be at the Jets.

‘‘Taggs is the one who has had the most talks surrounding his potential departure. As yet we have had nothing tabled from any club,’’ he said.

www.theherald.com.au/story/2312163/jets-coach-phil-stubbins-first-task-to-fill-squad-vacancies/?cs=306

Griff for captain?

Some interesting players being linked to the club. The Harold link might explain why we are happy to release zads to go to perth. Stubbsy being a bit vague on the Beauchamp rumor might mean he's the back up plan in case the good signing falls through.

Good to see stubbins is a bit better with working with the media than GVE was.

Tommyjet
28-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Zads leaves I'm expecting someone like Kilkenny to replace.

Blackmac79
28-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Kilkenny would be a great signing.

Bring in kisnorbo and you could call us Leeds.

Zads appeared to me to give up after Joel signed.

Griff as captain is reason enough to member up this season.

Grimario
28-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Apart from Ferreira, Lowe has brought striker Dino Djulbic back from Abu Dhabi and recruited Youssouf Hersi from Western Sydney Wanderers.

Djulbic the striker as opposed to Djulbic the almost 2m tall central defender?

hawk
28-05-2014, 11:47 AM
couldnt gaf who the captain is. Just a statement by the coach who he thinks the best player is. Taking out zads and keeping some of the other muppets isnt the answer.

Grimario
28-05-2014, 11:55 AM
couldnt gaf who the captain is. Just a statement by the coach who he thinks the best player is. Taking out zads and keeping some of the other muppets isnt the answer.

Why not? Zads just motors around the pitch, pings the occasional long shot, hacks a few opponents. Maybe Stubbins doesn't need that in his team, maybe Zads is surplus to requirements. Maybe Stubbins has someone lined up that far exceeds his ability and Zad actually WANTS out (which the article suggests with the mentions of long term security) and we won't stand in his way?

furns
28-05-2014, 11:56 AM
It has been mentioned on sfcu that the defender we are looking at is Cornthwaite

Grimario
28-05-2014, 12:01 PM
It has been mentioned on sfcu that the defender we are looking at is Cornthwaite

Cornflakes and Flores - Stubbins is getting the band back together. Look for Van Dijk as striker announced in the next few months then.

leftrightout
28-05-2014, 01:59 PM

In my opinion, as ive stated before, it would be a very good signing.

Jeterpool
28-05-2014, 02:40 PM
In my opinion, as ive stated before, it would be a very good signing.

Yes. I think this was mentioned a few weeks back.

I'm really not willing to write anyone off yet. If they are stubbing men, he will stay or survive based on their performances. If he thinks he can get the best out of them, great.

Except for hutcho or Simon. They can get stuffed

Thomas477
28-05-2014, 02:45 PM
Griff as capo :wub: Love it.

Grimario
28-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Cornflakes and Flores - Stubbins is getting the band back together. Look for Van Dijk as striker announced in the next few months then.

Don't know why I said Van Dijk. That left winger bloke that played for us part of last year also spent a season or so under Stubbins. Nathan Burns or something?

Premy
28-05-2014, 04:01 PM
It has been mentioned on sfcu that the defender we are looking at is CornthwaiteI mentioned it on here a few weeks back that a pretty good source said we're close to signing him.

Mark325
28-05-2014, 05:57 PM
So, what are peoples thoughts on the three gusy we're rumoured to be signing (Flores, Cornthwaite and Harold)?

Personally, if Flores is 100% he is top quality, Cornthwaite works well when his other CB is a quicker, more skillful player, which I feel Jaliens is and I don't really have an opinion of Harold

plague
28-05-2014, 06:07 PM
So, what are peoples thoughts on the three gusy we're rumoured to be signing (Flores, Cornthwaite and Harold)?

Personally, if Flores is 100% he is top quality, Cornthwaite works well when his other CB is a quicker, more skillful player, which I feel Jaliens is and I don't really have an opinion of Harold

A pissant, a Gypo and some bloke off Neighbours.
No thanks, should sign Stu.

Bring him home Tinks.

Tommyjet
28-05-2014, 06:31 PM

Yes to cornthwaite, maybe to flores, no to Harold.

Need height and believe kew would Marshall cornthwaite well.

Would like the jets to uncover another diamond but ok with Flores if fully fit and cheap enough so that we good maybe snag burns as well.

No to Harold, does some decent running and off the ball stuff but not much end product. Virgili already has this covered for us.

Jeterpool
28-05-2014, 09:38 PM
Only reason to sign Harold is to stop the bloke scoring against us

hawk
28-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Why not? Zads just motors around the pitch, pings the occasional long shot, hacks a few opponents. Maybe Stubbins doesn't need that in his team, maybe Zads is surplus to requirements. Maybe Stubbins has someone lined up that far exceeds his ability and Zad actually WANTS out (which the article suggests with the mentions of long term security) and we won't stand in his way?

maybe not, nice cliche prof. disc

Pico
29-05-2014, 07:13 AM
Only reason to sign Harold is to stop the bloke scoring against us

If that's our recruiting strategy we're going to need a bigger squad.

Grimario
29-05-2014, 09:18 AM
maybe not, nice cliche prof. disc

Your complaint appears to be that getting rid of a technical liability whose best attributes were getting fired up, running around a lot and showing a bit of passion isn't the answer to our inability to pass the football and create attacking chances...

It's not like we have a shortage of midfielders of his level and it might mean we actually spend almost TEN PERCENT of the entire cap on someone who can do more than hack opponents down on a regular basis.

snake
29-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Griff as capo :wub: Love it.

would go to a game if this happened

boxie excepted

hawk
29-05-2014, 09:45 AM
Your complaint appears to be that getting rid of a technical liability whose best attributes were getting fired up, running around a lot and showing a bit of passion isn't the answer to our inability to pass the football and create attacking chances...

It's not like we have a shortage of midfielders of his level and it might mean we actually spend almost TEN PERCENT of the entire cap on someone who can do more than hack opponents down on a regular basis.

:blush: turn around the game is behind you

la bazzle
29-05-2014, 10:15 AM

would go to a game if this happened

boxie excepted

Would join and be merry

Grimario
29-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Jets are saved, Wanderers sale done, effective from 30th June.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/wswanderersfc/news-display/Agreement-signed-for-the-sale-of-Wanderers-licence/90675

Grimario
29-05-2014, 10:49 AM
:blush: turn around the game is behind you

Pfft, I watch the game. I don't sit with the Squadron facing the rest of the crowd clapping my hands.

Ziiiiiing.

Jeterpool
29-05-2014, 12:03 PM
If that's our recruiting strategy we're going to need a bigger squad.

Yep. Should have signed Archie and smelts while we had a chance

coastiehater
29-05-2014, 01:18 PM
http://http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2315462/exclusive-hunter-stadium-to-be-resurfaced/?cs=303
hunter stadium gettin resurfaced

hawk
29-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Pfft, I watch the game. I don't sit with the Squadron facing the rest of the crowd clapping my hands.

Ziiiiiing.

why are you watching da sqaudron rolf? :blush::wacko:

hawk
29-05-2014, 05:37 PM
http://http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2315462/exclusive-hunter-stadium-to-be-resurfaced/?cs=303
hunter stadium gettin resurfaced

will we know how to play on a true pitch?

Blackmac79
29-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Wish it were synthetic

Pico
29-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Wish it were synthetic

Really should be this...

http://www.dessosports.com/hybrid-grass

Why none of the multiple multi-use stadiums that we have in this country are not using this stuff I'll never know.

Blackmac79
29-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Really should be this...

http://www.dessosports.com/hybrid-grass

Why none of the multiple multi-use stadiums that we have in this country are not using this stuff I'll never know.

Absolutely. White hart lane they use a version of this. Where real grass is interwoven with artificial grass and rooting. Perfect pitch every tiem

Pico
29-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Absolutely. White hart lane they use a version of this. Where real grass is interwoven with artificial grass and rooting. Perfect pitch every tiem

All the multi purpose pitch's in England use that system, it stands up to rugby, league and football, all in winter.

I just don't understand why not one of the governments that have these multi purpose stadiums have embraced these hybrid systems yet.

http://www.dessosports.com/sports/multisport/multisport-projects/singapore-sports-hub

Swansea use it and average 54 games in a year between their football and rugby team, Doncaster have rugby, league and football running year round at keepmoat stadium too. These are the sorts of legacy's that these sorts of tournaments should be helping to leave.

Pico
30-05-2014, 08:02 AM
FFA block Melbourne Heart’s bid to change strip to sky blue after Sydney FC object

FOX SPORTS
May 30, 2014 12:01AM

MELBOURNE Heart’s bid to adopt the sky-blue of owners Manchester City has been dashed after an objection by Sydney FC was upheld.

Heart was taken over by the English Premier League champions near the end of the last A-League season and it was made clear they would look for their new acquisition to change their strip from red and white stripes to sky blue.

However inaugural A-League champions Sydney FC objected to the FFA, saying their club, who play in sky blue shirts and are know as the ‘Sky Blues’ had a very strong connection with the colour.

They also maintained having two teams sporting sky blue shirts in a 10-team competition was “nonsensical.”

Fairfax Media reported on Thursday night Sydney FC’s objection had been upheld by the FFA and an independent abitrator on Tuesday night.

It is still expected Heart’s new owners will try to change the name of the club to City.

Manchester City are owned by the Abu Dhabi United Group, a private equity company owned by Sheikh Mansour, who is a member of the Abu Dhabi Royal family.

The group has ambitious plans beyond City, having started an MLS club, New York City FC, from scratch. That club will also play in sky blue.

They can't actually be serious, the HAL teams use away strips anyway so half of City's game would be in another colour. SFC need to get over themselves.

Tommyjet
30-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Already have a rivalry with victory and if melb city can develop a fan base this could turn into a clash just as spiteful.
Spot on pico, east Sydney do need to get over themselves. They need a huge marquee to draw a respectable crowd ffs.

hawk
30-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Already have a rivalry with victory and if melb city can develop a fan base this could turn into a clash just as spiteful.
Spot on pico, east Sydney do need to get over themselves. They need a huge marquee to draw a respectable crowd ffs.

they tried that but is hasnt worked, disgrace.

Grimario
30-05-2014, 06:35 PM
why are you watching da sqaudron rolf? :blush::wacko:

Have you watched us on the pitch? Squadron are far more entertaining and at least show up in game day.

plague
30-05-2014, 07:42 PM
They can't actually be serious, the HAL teams use away strips anyway so half of City's game would be in another colour. SFC need to get over themselves.

Nah, good call by the double-eff-aye IMO.
If the A-League wants to be 'big time', they need to stand by their principles.
Major leagues like the EPL wouldn't have big teams using the same colours. It just isn't smart.

Thomas477
30-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Nah, good call by the double-eff-aye IMO.
If the A-League wants to be 'big time', they need to stand by their principles.
Major leagues like the EPL wouldn't have big teams using the same colours. It just isn't smart.

What, like Liverpool, Arsenal and United?

plague
30-05-2014, 11:01 PM
What, like Liverpool, Arsenal and United?

I said big teams.

hawk
31-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Have you watched us on the pitch? Squadron are far more entertaining and at least show up in game day.

i try but it's difficult. You getting out to watch some more local stuff?

Premy
31-05-2014, 11:07 AM
I said big teams.
:lulzturtle:

Jetmaster
31-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Citeh to counter by saying they have had the colour since the 1800s.....and tell SFC to change their strip.

ToddG NBUnited
31-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Citys away/alternate strip to be sky blue and they will just wear their alternate strip when they want.

Jeterpool
31-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Citys away/alternate strip to be sky blue and they will just wear their alternate strip when they want.

I don't get this whole shirt thing. What strip will they wear when they play Sydney? Yep - sky blue under the new proposal.

If they wear sky blue as a home jersey there will be absolutely no worry with clashing.

Mind you I do understand why they are challenging the loss of tradition etc and linkages with the red and white. We experienced this first hand

hawk
31-05-2014, 08:52 PM
I don't get this whole shirt thing. What strip will they wear when they play Sydney? Yep - sky blue under the new proposal.

If they wear sky blue as a home jersey there will be absolutely no worry with clashing.

Mind you I do understand why they are challenging the loss of tradition etc and linkages with the red and white. We experienced this first hand

smurfs are 5 minutes old, they arent losing their strip and dont own the colour. Not about them they can fo. It should be about if Heart want to change their identity & ensure their away strip doesnt clash. Could be worse they could be stuck with european gold*.

* may change that opinion

Pico
04-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Zads Speaks...

Ruben Zadkovich : I didn't want to leave Jets

By JAMES GARDINER
June 3, 2014, 10:45 p.m.

RUBEN Zadkovich never wanted to leave the Jets.

In the end, the wholehearted midfielder felt he had no choice.

Zadkovich last week agreed to terminate the final year of his contract at the Jets and will head west on a two-year deal at Perth Glory.

‘‘It is bittersweet,’’ Zadkovich told the Herald yesterday.

‘‘I love Newcastle. I think everyone knows that. It was such a massive honour to lead the Jets. It was one of the highlights of my career and something I hold very close to my heart.

‘‘All the fans, members, sponsors, business owners, media – all of the honest, hard-working people I have made friends with in Newcastle – I’d like to think I’d be friends with them long after the stadium lights are out. That is what I will be taking away from Newcastle.

‘‘It was a hard pill to swallow at first.

‘‘From what I have learned in football, you are best to be around people who really want you.

‘‘[Hunter Sports Group CEO] Troy Palmer told me that if I wanted to stay until the end of the contract, go for it, and that he would support me.

‘‘When it came down to it, the Jets didn’t really see me in their plans.

‘‘While that can be a slap in the face, you just have to find the positives.’’

Zadkovich played 97 games in four seasons at the Jets.

He won the club’s Ray Baartz medal in 2013, finished third last season, and 10th in the Alex Tobin Medal for the Fox Sports player of the year.

The only Jet to start every game last season, Zadkovich was called in to a meeting with club management last month and told of the interest from Perth.

‘‘I was not outwardly looking to leave,’’ he said. ‘‘I was keen to stay here and captain Newcastle as long as I could.

‘‘Management made it clear to me that I was not in their plans moving forward.

‘‘I was told it was more a business decision. They wanted to free up some money in the cap and look for more attacking players. Initially it was a shock. I thought there would have been a bit more loyalty and respect shown. Football is a business. I’m no mug. I know what it is like.’’

Although yet to speak to Zadkovich, coach Phil Stubbins believed the best outcome had been reached for both parties.

The Jets have missed the finals for the past four years, and Stubbins decided something – someone – had to give.

‘‘I certainly needed, along with the direction of the staff, to make some changes,’’ Stubbins said. ‘‘Everyone knows Ruben is a very good player and has been a good servant for the Jets. There is no doubt about that.

‘‘Having looked at the squad, and a good salary goes to a good player, it was felt that we needed to get somebody else in at the pointy end who could service the needs of the team in the front third.

‘‘We had quite a few players in that central midfield position who could fulfil that role – Ben Kantarovski, Josh Brillante, Zenon Caravella, Mitch Oxborrow – and quite a bit of money tied up in that position.

‘‘When the interest came from Perth and they offered him the time frame of the deal they did, it made sense.’’

On the surface it might have seemed a cut-and-dried decision for Zadkovich. But nothing is that simple when, like Zadkovich, you have given your heart and soul to a club – to a region – for four years.

‘‘I had so much going on and, to be honest, it [the decision] was getting the better of me,’’ Zadkovich said.

But any lingering doubts were dispelled after a get-to-know-you chat with Glory coach Kenny Lowe.

‘‘I asked him what role he had in mind for me,’’ Zadkovich said. ‘‘He laughed and said, ‘I just want you to do what you do.’ It was a simple sentence, but it says a lot.

‘‘He doesn’t want to change me. He knows I can more than hold a spot in that position and he is grateful to have me. That means everything to me. To have people who want you, I will look to repay that faith by giving them 150 per cent.’’

Zadkovich and fiancee Bianca Foteff have recently bought an apartment in Cooks Hill and are in the process of planning their wedding next May.

‘‘We have a lot of things going on,’’ he said. ‘‘Things like this happen for a reason. That is the silver lining. It gives me and Bianca a chance to let our relationship evolve. It is a new challenge for both of us.

‘‘She has never lived anywhere but Newcastle, whereas I have been around the world a few times.

‘‘Her family and friends are very supportive.

‘‘We will set up camp somewhere near the beach.

‘‘All the people I have spoken to over there love Perth and the area around it.’’ Zadkovich will replace retired Glory skipper Jacob Burns, who now works for the club in football operations

‘‘I think that says a lot about the kind of club they are looking to build,’’ he said.

‘‘They are keeping the good-quality players involved in the club when their careers have finished.’’

www.theherald.com.au/story/2327493/ruben-zadkovich-i-didnt-want-to-leave-jets/?cs=306

Bit of a swipe at the club at the end, some would argue that by keeping Bridges on board, twice now, the club under HSG has been following a similar path to perth, jobs for the boys an all that.

Pico
04-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Adam Taggart in Socceroos final 23

By JAMES GARDINER
June 3, 2014, 10:59 p.m.

ADAM Taggart has tonight became the first Jets player to be selected for a World Cup.

The 21-year-old striker was a surprise inclusion in the Socceroos’ final 23-man squad to compete in Brazil.

His promotion came at the expense of Josh Kennedy, who along with attacking midfielder Tom Rojic was ruled out due to fitness concerns.

Taggart, whose birthday was on Monday, was one of seven A-League players to make the cut.

"I'm over the moon," Taggart said after the announcement.

"It's a dream come true and something you can only wish for as a little kid."

He said he was "extremely grateful" and selection was "something I won't take for granted".

With Tim Cahill and Matthew Leckie the only other strikers in the squad, the adopted Novocastrian has a chance of getting game time.

The Socceroos begin Group B against Chile on June 14 (AEST) before matches against Holland (June 19) and Spain (June 24).

There was no room for Jets teammate Mark Birighitti, who missed out to Germany-based Mitch Langerak, Adelaide United’s Eugene Galekovic and Mat Ryan (Club Brugge).

Langerak is on the comeback from a knee injury and Birighitti will stay with the squad until the opening game against Chile.

Right back Luke Wilkshire was the other player trimmed from the group, which has been in camp in Vitoria, Brazil.

Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou had insisted from day one that fitness and form were the main criteria for selection and lived up to that mantra.

Kennedy’s injury is not thought to be serious, but having missed five weeks for Japanese club Nagoya Grampus on the eve of the World Cup, his back flared up during the Socceroos’ high-intensity sessions.

The stringbean striker, who scored the goal against Iraq which earned Australia a place in Brazil, was on course to play in the warm-up game against second division side Parana Clube on Monday before his back seized up at the end of training.

His setback opened the way for Taggart, who made the most of the opportunity with a well taken goal to seal a 2-0 victory.

Selection caps an amazing rise for the Perth-born front man, who scored a club-record 16 goals for the Jets to claim the A-League Golden Boot and Young Player of the Year awards last season, his second at the club.

Recruited by Gary van Egmond, Taggart was lured east after two seasons at the Glory in which he was stuck behind Shane Smeltz and Billy Mehmet.

He scored two goals in 19 appearances, nine in the starting side, in his maiden campaign in Newcastle before exploding into form.

Col ‘‘Bunny’’ Curran is the only Newcastle-born player to compete at a World Cup.

He was a member of the 1974 side, who until 2006 were the only Australian side to have made the final.

Ray Baartz was vice-captain but had his dream dashed by a career-ending blow to the throat in a lead-up game against Uruguay.

Meanwhile, coach Phil Stubbins confirmed that the Jets were close finalising a deal with a South American striker.

‘‘We have a couple of little hurdles in dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s to overcome, but hopefully that’s a formality and we will be in position to announce something very soon,’’ Stubbins told SBS.

‘‘He has played for his national team at an early age and is from a country doing good things and he would be a good, solid signing for us.

‘‘We believe that in tandem with Adam Taggart and Joel Griffiths he can be very effective.

“He has pace, strength and would handle the rigours of the A-League with no problem."

The striker is a replacement for marquee Emile Heskey.

‘‘Emile was somebody who came and had a real impact at the club,’’ the coach said.

‘‘You can only say good things about the guy as a person and as a professional – but that said we have decided to take a different direction with the player we have in mind.’’

www.theherald.com.au/story/2327495/adam-taggart-in-socceroos-final-23/?cs=303

Congrats Taggz, now to see if he can grab some game time.

Grimario
04-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Bit of a swipe at the club at the end, some would argue that by keeping Bridges on board, twice now, the club under HSG has been following a similar path to perth, jobs for the boys an all that.

He did say good quality players though.

Jetmaster
04-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Could be worth a lazy tenner on Taggz nicking a goal somewhere.

hawk
04-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Zads Speaks...

has a valid point. he knows what the fans think of our management. hope he wins a gf.

belchardo
05-06-2014, 01:27 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpVTSBFCYAEi9p0.jpg (http://twitter.com/FOXFootballLive/status/474376906112901120/photo/1)
new Melbourne city strips (home on the left)

and logo...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpVP-ULIAAEqdii.jpg (http://twitter.com/VinceRugari/status/474373273707245570/photo/1)

I'm hoping there's a really good story behind the logo. it's f'in hilarious.

EDIT: apparently in recognition of the Melbourne coat of arms

https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/AboutMelbourne/History/PublishingImages/CoM_Coat-of-Arms1200.jpg

Premy
05-06-2014, 01:36 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpVTSBFCYAEi9p0.jpg (http://twitter.com/FOXFootballLive/status/474376906112901120/photo/1)
new Melbourne city strips (home on the left)

and logo...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpVP-ULIAAEqdii.jpg (http://twitter.com/VinceRugari/status/474373273707245570/photo/1)

I'm hoping there's a really good story behind the logo. it's f'in hilarious.

EDIT: apparently in recognition of the Melbourne coat of arms

https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/AboutMelbourne/History/PublishingImages/CoM_Coat-of-Arms1200.jpg

The Flag in the middle is the City of Melbourne emblem, nice touch if you ask me and I rather like it.

Blackmac79
05-06-2014, 02:06 PM
And they have Villa till January

Damien Duff on a 2 year deal

Bresciano is going to sign

And Kennedy will replace Villa in January.

How much does the title cost?

Hope we don't draw them in the FFA cup....

leftrightout
05-06-2014, 02:20 PM
And they have Villa till January

Damien Duff on a 2 year deal

Bresciano is going to sign

And Kennedy will replace Villa in January.

How much does the title cost?

Hope we don't draw them in the FFA cup....

Besides Villa are any of those others confirmed or still just speculation?

Blackmac79
05-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Besides Villa are any of those others confirmed or still just speculation?

Damien duff the media circles seem confident about.

the other two are speculation based on the Aus Marquee rules.

Kennedy is going to leave his current club in January when his contract runs out he has said that.

Bresc is purely because he has links at the club (or had) previously and is out of contract post world cup.

Premy
05-06-2014, 04:08 PM
What I don't get is why does Villa have to be a guest contract can't NYCFC just loan him to Melbourne for $1.
That could then open the door for Frankie to sign.

q-money
05-06-2014, 04:09 PM
loan wages are still counted in the cap. villa's wage in a few weeks would probably blow it, hence why he's a guest player.

the way it could work is that villa plays as a guest, lampard as full season marquee and bresciano/kennedy as strayan marquee.

borat will know the ins and outs better i imagine

Grimario
05-06-2014, 04:18 PM
loan wages are still counted in the cap. villa's wage in a few weeks would probably blow it, hence why he's a guest player.

the way it could work is that villa plays as a guest, lampard as full season marquee and bresciano/kennedy as strayan marquee.

borat will know the ins and outs better i imagine

Loan wages only count in the cap if the club who has the player on loan is required to pay the wages by the loaning club. NYCFC could well be (and likely are) loaning Villa for the grand total of $0.

Jetmaster
05-06-2014, 04:24 PM
Why oh why does Villa have to have a photo shot with Billy Slater and punch an AFL footy???

They bag our game mercilessly but are quick to jump on the bandwagon.

Premy
05-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Loan wages only count in the cap if the club who has the player on loan is required to pay the wages by the loaning club. NYCFC could well be (and likely are) loaning Villa for the grand total of $0.
This is correct hence why we didn't pay Burns full wage only a part of it and that part was under the cap.

borat
05-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Moot point on loan wages as MCFC want to utilise both marquee positions anyway.

Grimario
05-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Moot point on loan wages as MCFC want to utilise both marquee positions anyway.

Yeah, but if the loan wages are excluded, they can then get two marquees ON TOP of the loan player.

pv4
05-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Bresc is purely because he has links at the club (or had) previously and is out of contract post world cup.

Bresc said this week that City have already made contact to him about becoming Aust Marquee. But to be fair, they've done it the last 3-4 years and he always pops up to train with them in preseason.

I'll be genuinely surprised if bresc does not end up there tbh

hawk
05-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Why oh why does Villa have to have a photo shot with Billy Slater and punch an AFL footy???

+1000

why cant our management get some star on $0 loan?

Tommyjet
06-06-2014, 05:30 AM
+1000

why cant our management get some star on $0 loan?

Maybe when we get sold to psg hehe

leftrightout
06-06-2014, 07:13 AM
Maybe when we get sold to psg hehe

Zlatan for $0.... make it happen tinks

GazFish35
06-06-2014, 07:45 AM
So if the a league was the epitome of modern football when it started, what is it now?

Coal money is cleaner than oil money!

belchardo
06-06-2014, 11:24 AM
So if the a league was the epitome of modern football when it started, what is it now?

Coal money is cleaner than oil money!

Clearly it would be post-modern football.

belchardo
06-06-2014, 11:59 AM
fan found guilty of assaulting police at Jets-Wanderers match

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2334204/danny-burt-found-guilty-of-assaulting-police-at-jets-wanderers-match/?cs=305

WolfMan
06-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Madaschi confirmed

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-sign-Madaschi-and-Barresi/90770

The Dunster
06-06-2014, 12:24 PM
fan found guilty of assaulting police at Jets-Wanderers match

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2334204/danny-burt-found-guilty-of-assaulting-police-at-jets-wanderers-match/?cs=305

Fair enough, it's not like security and police would have done anything wrong.
Afterall, it's hardly the job of security or the police to keep the opposition fans out of the Jets active supporters bay.:gent:

plague
06-06-2014, 12:35 PM

This was from about 3 years ago as out takes from part of an Adidas marketing campaign they were filming at the time. Nothing to do with Villa coming to play here.
Old old old footage.

Frodo
06-06-2014, 01:18 PM
Madaschi confirmed

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-sign-Madaschi-and-Barresi/90770

Stubbs on Barresi, “Josh is a player that I know from the AIS and he is similar to Tom Rogic in many ways,” Stubbins said"

Does that mean he has great ability on the ball or he will always be injured/sitting on the bench at a pretty big club?

Pretty happy we are getting someone to plug a hole in the squad as well as wrapping up some youthful talent at the same time. Good days business so far.

parksey
06-06-2014, 01:49 PM
yeah i rate it

don't know much about barresi but he's got a sick name

Blackmac79
06-06-2014, 02:07 PM
John Tsatsimas is now Wanderers CEO replacing Gorman.

Jeterpool
06-06-2014, 02:48 PM

Good on John. Wish him all the best

GazFish35
06-06-2014, 06:39 PM

Well deserved.

Wonder who will be football operations manager now?

hawk
07-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Stubbins already has mapped out the club’s pre-season program and the players will be called in on 16 June for an unusual start to their training.

“We’re getting them all in to do their C level coaching licence,” he said.

hope they all choose to play the same system

belchardo
08-06-2014, 05:13 PM
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/phil-stubbins-im-here-raise-bar

article.

Tommyjet
08-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Probably wrong thread but stubbins said in Saturdays herald that the 'columbian' will probably be announced Monday. Don't think he actual said this striker was columbian but the herald implied it once again. Stubbins also said this striker is still youngish and has a handful of international caps.

lquiquer
08-06-2014, 06:47 PM
Probably wrong thread but stubbins said in Saturdays herald that the 'columbian' will probably be announced Monday. Don't think he actual said this striker was columbian but the herald implied it once again. Stubbins also said this striker is still youngish and has a handful of international caps.

The Columbian from Uruguay who played for Argentina 1/2 a dozen time and is still young... It's all clear to me!!!

joel31
08-06-2014, 06:55 PM
The Columbian from Uruguay who played for Argentina 1/2 a dozen time and is still young... It's all clear to me!!!
who is this?

GazFish35
08-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Probably some mls reject being let go go by "the crew" and is considered Columbian not actually Colombian.

I actually hope it's zura and we are allowed to wear wrestling masks.

Thomas477
08-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Wasn't he Ecuadorian though?

Would love to have Zura back

GazFish35
08-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Don't bring facts into this!

scarfy96
11-06-2014, 09:26 AM
Note the bold at the bottom of the article:

JETS recruit Josh Barresi spent a year watching, learning from and trying to emulate Japanese superstar and former Western Sydney Wanderers midfielder Shinji Ono.

Now the Adelaide-born teenager plans to continue his apprenticeship in Newcastle under Marcos Flores.

Barresi, 19, arrived in his new home town on the same day the Jets announced the signature of 2010 Johnny Warren medallist Flores.

"It will be good for my football and great for the Newcastle Jets to have a player of such high quality," Barresi told the Herald.

Barresi was a young fan at Hindmarsh Stadium when Flores worked his magic for Adelaide in the Argentinian's debut season in the A-League.

"I remember being about 14 and watching him for Adelaide," Barresi said. "He is pretty similar to me, in that he is a tall attacking midfielder who likes to play the ball. I used to watch players more than the game.

"I would go to watch Flores over Adelaide United.

"I wasn't at the game where he scored that amazing goal against the Jets, but I do remember it. He took on about four or five players and stuck it in the top corner.

"To have the opportunity to train with and learn from him will be fantastic. Especially after working with Shinji Ono. They are two different styles of attacking midfielders.

"It is great for my learning. I definitely plan to be a sponge and absorb as much as I can."

Barresi is not the only Jet looking forward to the arrival of the Argentinian attacking genius. Socceroos striker Adam Taggart may be at the World Cup in Brazil, but he is excited at the prospect of playing in front of Flores.

"For someone like myself who's a No.9, it's great to have a real No.10, which is probably something we've lacked for a while, a real playmaker, someone who's going to set up goals and he can score goals. He's good on the ball," he said.

Jets coach Phil Stubbins confirmed yesterday that a South American striker had agreed to terms and an announcement was expected as early as today.

That would leave one place to fill on the roster, most likely for a midfielder.

Barresi left Adelaide in 2011 for the Australian Institute of Sport, where he had a brief period under Stubbins, before being picked up by Wanderers last season.

But a fracture in his back sidelined the 190-centimetre playmaker for four months.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2343282/marcos-flores-fan-josh-barresi-keen-to-learn-from-new-jets-teammate/?cs=306

Thomas477
11-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Will believe it when I see it.

Grimario
11-06-2014, 09:43 AM
190cm?! Barresi isn't going to get shouldered off the ball like some of the more diminutive playmakers we've seen. That's really quite towering for someone in that position.

pv4
11-06-2014, 09:49 AM
190cm?! Barresi isn't going to get shouldered off the ball like some of the more diminutive playmakers we've seen. That's really quite towering for someone in that position.

Rogic is a similar height. You don't realise how truly tall he is till seeing him in person. I randomly walked into him one day and he is a beast. It's actually amazing how quickly he moves, and turns, for someone that tall IMO.

Haven't seen Barresi but am imagining he has similar traits.

The Dunster
11-06-2014, 12:06 PM
The Wanderers have lost Ono and Mooy - yet didn't feel the need to keep Barresi on the books. Given the style of football the Wnderers play that's probably a good thing.

Grimario
13-06-2014, 11:51 AM
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/craig-goodwin-looking-forward-to-joining-forces-with-newcastle-jets-coach-phil-stubbins/story-fnk6rki0-1226952994288

NEWCASTLE Jets new boss Phil Stubbins’ unique way of unifying his squad has inspired Craig Goodwin.

Adelaide-born Goodwin, 22, will formally meet his new mentor for the first time when the squad assembles for pre-season bonding from Monday.

Stubbins — a former Adelaide United coach — wants his squad to take on the Football Federation Australia’s senior C coaching licence course before tackling physical football sessions.

“I’m pretty excited to get back in and work with him,’’ Goodwin said.

“We’re doing the C licence. At least 10 or 11 of us will be doing it and some have already got it. It’s a great way to start the new season.”

Goodwin has been in Adelaide for six weeks taking on extra sessions at Fast Twitch Klemzig and training with his old club Raiders during the A-League off season.

Goodwin — a left-sided player — said he was also hoping to meet new signings former Adelaide playmaker Marcos Flores and fringe Socceroos defender Adrian Madaschi next week.

But with Adelaide and Jets facing off in a pre-season friendly pencilled in for July 30 in Newcastle, the clash will have a distinctive flavour of SA.

Stubbins, Goodwin, goalkeeper Mark Birighitti, Zenon Caravella and young gloveman John Solari — all now with the Jets — had stints with Adelaide United, while Adelaide-born teenager Josh Barresi has also been added to Newcastle’s stocks.

Goodwin was looking forward to the ‘friendly’ clash which has been scheduled in the middle of the first matches of the new FFA Cup competition where Adelaide City and Adelaide United will feature for SA.

“To be able to play in the FFA Cup where it will be competitive is much better for the A-league and for the local teams,’’ Goodwin said.

“But I think playing Adelaide United will be an interesting affair. It is a pre-season and it is a friendly.

“But of course we’re all competitive professional footballers so I think everyone including myself we all want to win and for the Adelaide boys it’s added incentive for our boys.”