PDA

View Full Version : Daily Australian News Thread 2014

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

Grimario
13-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Ian Crook is new assistant coach at Wanderers

Jeterpool
14-06-2014, 07:54 AM
Stub bins saying he'll replace zads and Caravella with one midfielder, from today's herald.

Only concern will be if we lose Brillante. Thecqualitybof our depth isn't great either, with pepper, oxborrow and cooper

Tommyjet
14-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Stub bins saying he'll replace zads and Caravella with one midfielder, from today's herald.

Only concern will be if we lose Brillante. Thecqualitybof our depth isn't great either, with pepper, oxborrow and cooper
I dare say if any of our promising 3 leave they will be in turn replaced but as it stands he is preparing as if they are staying

lil_masi
16-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Andrew Packer, former Syd FC and Roar player (and army reserve) has signed on as our strength and conditioning coach. Apart from his military training what other qualifications does this guy have? Think Dodd was more qualified.
Hope it works out.

Beeen
18-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Fulham in negotiations with Taggart according to FSN.

Premy
18-06-2014, 11:24 PM
Yarraside has disbanded and ceased existence.

lquiquer
18-06-2014, 11:34 PM
Yarraside has disbanded and ceased existence.

They'll come back as the Citizens

Premy
18-06-2014, 11:36 PM
A group called Swan Street Elite seem to be gathering some support.

furns
19-06-2014, 12:16 AM
Look forward to seeing Hendo back in Jets colours

GazFish35
22-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Two articles from today's smh.

I've been trying to explain why I love football..... Of all people Greg Baum has summed the game up so well.

World Cup shows football really is the people's game

Greg Baum
Published: June 22, 2014 - 12:04AM

More than the Olympic Games, the World Cup is the supreme event in world sport. The Olympics is largely made up minor, sectional or arcane sports, not unworthy in themselves, but wholly engaging the world for two weeks every four years. Football wholly engages the world every week of every year. The Olympics are the world's games, football the world game. This effect is less pronounced in Australia because, almost uniquely, our football passion is spread over four codes. But Australia is one of few exceptions to the world rule.

Part of the essence of the World Cup is its simplicity. Crowds come to the Olympics because of opportunity, patriotism and curiosity, but not necessarily out of lifelong devotion and understanding. For many sports, the Olympic movement feels obliged to explain sometimes byzantine rules and ideals to spectators. Crowds come to the World Cup because of undying passion. No-one needs the rules explained, though the crowds will tell you that referees do. But crowds will tell you that about any sport.

As for the ideal, nothing could be simpler: you get the ball over the goal-line or you don't (and in this tournament, there can be no debate). Goals are few enough for each to be an event in its own right, the climactic note in a crescendo. Some even attract their own names: the Marcelo own goal, the Cahill volley, the Suarez double. Oh, the Suarez double ...

Rare, and so each more precious: here the rules and ideals are instructive. Sides variously can pass or blast their way down the pitch, but always they come up against the last two barriers, a wall of defenders and the off-side rule. Sometimes a team can intrigue its way through or past it, sometimes a passage opens up unexpectedly, sometimes it takes a moment of blinding individual inspiration; see Suarez, above.

But repeated storming of this Bastille is no guarantee. Australians are conditioned to the idea that sheer endeavour deserves reward, a kind of Protestant work ethic of sport. It is not a universal sentiment. Many football fans abhor it. If their beautiful game is susceptible to the grim ideal of slavish labour, what is the point? It is supposed to transport them to another dimension, not replicate the plebeian realities of the one they're in. Sport is magic, and they don't want to see the workings. Too many goals would be a suspicious thing.

So would a game that never paused. If football fans wanted clockwork, they would buy a clock. This is real-life drama, and drama needs lulls to accentuate storms. Football gets this. The AFL doesn't, nor Cricket Australia.

In this tournament, there have been more goals than usual, but not so many as to diminish the importance of each as it it scored. In 25 games at the time of writing, there had been only three scoreless draws (and Brazil-Mexico was memorable anyway for the brilliance of Mexican goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa). In others, there was an average of more than three goals a game. On Friday, France and Switzerland scored seven between them.

To some, this is still a paucity. But this paucity also makes football the most democratic sport, in which it is always possible to have an equal match between unequal teams.

Ninety minutes of virtuosity on the pitch can be eclipsed by one moment of idiosyncratic genius, or fluke, or error, player's or referee's. It's fair, it's not fair: it's life. Frankly, this dynamic works in Australia's favour more often than not.

The tournament format sharpens the effect. In a league of nations, if there was one, you would expect Spain to put two defeats behind itself and work its way to the top. England might, too. But both are out, without really knowing how or why. Now Italy must survive Uruguay and Suarez in a prospectively excruciating match for Italians everywhere.

The World Cup gets you in. There is a feeling in Australia that if FIFA strips the 2022 World Cup from Qatar because of irregularities, Australia must put up its hand again.

Caveat emptor applies. In Brazil, the scars and grazes from staging the World Cup are apparent everywhere. Not seen yet are the mental scars, remembering that FIFA effectively establishes itself as a law unto itself in any hosting country. Is Australia prepared to prostitute itself to this autocracy? Because that's the trade-off.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/fifa-world-cup-2014/world-cup-news-2014/world-cup-shows-football-really-is-the-peoples-game-20140621-zsh8q.html

GazFish35
22-06-2014, 09:38 PM
And then I turned a few pages and this article by phil Gould explained in too much detail why I can't stand league...

Beyond the shit they do off the field, and the way the media overplay all that they do on it, essentially it's a repetive game... And now one of their own admits it.

The football evolves on the field is it's greatest point of difference from the 13 blokes in one team in the exact same formation as the 13 blokes in the other running at each other.

NRL's copycat coaches losing sight of the big picture

Phil Gould
Published: June 21, 2014 - 7:00PM

One of the more common inquiries I receive each week from fans is to explain why all teams play their attacking football the same way.

To a point, that is very true. I guess if all teams played in the same coloured jerseys, it would be hard to tell them apart.

They all have the same structures, patterns, philosophies and the same plays. Each set of six in their own half looks the same.

When they get into attacking positions and are trying to score points, the structures and plays all look the same.

If you watch the NRL regularly you know with 90 per cent certainty what comes next. It’s just a matter of whether your team can do it better than the rival team this weekend.

Very few NRL teams have a style they could truly call their own. Perhaps the Warriors provide a point of difference to other teams. There are certain aspects of Des Hasler’s Bulldogs that stand them apart. The Sea Eagles have a little something, too.

My simple answer to these questions is that if all NRL coaches are playing the game pretty much the same way, then this must be the best way to play.

It’s difficult for those of us on the outside looking in, to question those who are engrossed in this space every day.

If there was a better way, I’m sure someone would’ve produced it by now. I get the feeling that if someone tried to play the game differently, they would probably get thumped. That’s certainly the fear that prevents most coaches from straying too far from the beaten path.

I do understand how fans of particular teams must get exasperated when they see their team is struggling, but they keep doing the same things over and over, each and every week, even though the results don’t get any better. I share their frustration.

I get irritated watching games where teams are going through their attacking plays as though they were choreographed dance sequences, even though this style of football doesn’t necessarily suit the skill set of their players they have at their disposal.

Some of them look like a dog trying to run on wet lino. There’s plenty of energy and effort, you can see where they’d like to go, but all they are doing is spinning their wheels going nowhere.

Don’t get me wrong. Today’s players are truly outstanding athletes. They are fitter, stronger, bigger and more powerful than ever.

But how many of them are really students of the game? How many of them actually look outside their own pocket of action on the field? I guess the bigger question is, how many are encouraged to look outside their pocket of action?

The scary thing is that it goes far deeper than just the NRL teams we see on television every weekend.

If you watch the lower-grade football, it is identical. The development pathways and junior representative teams pretty much replicate what the big boys are doing.

Even if you go right back down into park and junior league football, you can see the influence of NRL structures as far back as teams at 10 years of age.

From very early in a young player’s career they are being taught to play in lanes.

The vast majority of kids are confined to a playing zone, either in the middle, left or right side of the field. The skill set being taught to kids may well be specific; however, I find it to be very limited and restrictive.

I don’t think it gives kids an overall knowledge of the game. Versatility is now a rare commodity. The kid could end up playing in this one part of the field for the rest of his days, because that is all he has ever been taught.

So if this is all we are coaching into kids from the time they start playing, chances are we are going to be locked into this style of football for at least another 20 years.

If we study the evolution of attacking football down through the decades, we can see elements of the game that was played in the 60s and 70s still very evident in the modern game.

We can see the influence of great coaches and special individual players from certain eras on today’s action. However, the roles of players and positions within a team framework have become more defined, more scripted and more controlled.

I have long held the fear that junior league has been far too influenced by what they see in the professional game. The thought of junior coaches coaching kids like they were NRL teams has always been of great concern to me.

I think we coach creativity out of kids. By the time they have come through the more elite development and junior representative programs, we have pretty much taken their size and their skill set, and moulded it into becoming a more common cog in an even more common wheel.

Kids are coached very much on the HOW. I’m not so sure coaching spends enough time coaching the WHY.

Of course, attacking football in the professional game has been heavily sculptured by several factors.

The effects of almost two decades of full-time training, rigorous video analysis, the vastly improved fitness and strength of the individuals, constant rule changes and the evolution of tackling and wrestling techniques. It’s something of a vicious cycle in this regard.

The players being recruited and developed these days are primarily in the size and power mode. They are recruited to fit a mould or a specific job within a team framework, therefore, the style of game and player is being perpetuated.

Old timers, such as me, keep an eye out for the kid that just plays like a footballer. They are still around.

But if they can’t hit, stick, wrestle or physically push their frame through the defensive line with brute force, they are generally overlooked before they get the chance to develop their talents.

Players are not so much promoted on ABILITY, but rather on their RELIABILITY. Coaches look more at whether the athlete will stand up to the physical demands for the long term, rather than imagining what else the footballer may bring to the team?

The basics of football have never really changed. If you want to win consistently , your team needs to be able to go forward, control the ball, kick, chase and tackle.

That’s pretty much football in a nutshell. There isn’t a great deal of science in all of that. If the player has the physical capabilities, the coach can find a role for him within this framework.

However, I believe so many other aspects of these basics are being neglected. Or at least they are not being fully explored.

How conscious are we of developing or expanding the individual talents of a playmaker? Or helping all players within the team THINK their way through games rather than just using their bodies and following a rigid script?

I would like to replace teaching the kids the HOW with teaching them more about the WHY. Or better still, the WHY NOT?

We teach them the HOW as though this is the only way to perform their role. Every player, in each position, in every team, is pretty much given the same job. The frustrating thing is that their skill sets are rarely developed beyond the narrow scope of their restricted roles.

I get more excited in coaching the WHY.

Why do we run this sequence, this play, this angle, this pass?

What reaction are we looking for from the defensive line? How can we get a defender to react the way we want him to react? How many different plays can we execute to get the reaction we desire?

What other possible reactions could we see? How will we react if they do what we predict? How will we act if they react differently? What comes next? How do we take advantage of any confusion or disorganisation we have created in the defensive line?

I always liked to explore the talents of an individual and determine how and when he likes to get the ball to bring his unique skills or footwork into play.

I liked to study all the ways he will react instinctively in a given situation and then have the teamwork to create these opportunities for the individual.

Coaches should be constantly searching for ways to push beyond the boundaries of what currently exists. Anyone can become good at this game if they train hard and work hard. But how do you become great? And how do you go from being great to being No.1?

You can’t be the best if you simply follow what everyone else is doing.

To me, that should be the goal. Not to be like everyone else, but to be the best.

Phil Gould is general manager of the Penrith Panthers

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrls-copycat-coaches-losing-sight-of-the-big-picture-20140621-zsh9n.html

Grimario
25-06-2014, 03:01 AM
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/jets-swoop-replace-taggart

The Newcastle Jets have signed an Ecuadorian striker and are possibly looking to bring in another forward to replace Fulham-bound Socceroo Adam Taggart.
A Spanish midfielder has also been snapped up to replace the loss of Zenon Caravella and Ruben Zadkovich.
FourFourTwo Australia understands the two new player signings have already been finalised.
“We need to replace Adam Taggart and are currently looking,” new coach Phil Stubbins said.
“We’ve already signed one young striker from Ecuador plus an experienced Spanish midfielder with many years of La Liga experience behind him.”
“The Spanish player signed is to help replace Caravella and Zadkovich.
“Maybe another striker as well as the Ecuadorian.”
Emile Heskey, Taggart and Joey Gibbs have departed the club’s strikeforce from last season, while the midfield has lost James Brown, Caravella and skipper Zadkovich.
In defence Connor Chapman and Josh Mitchell have departed from the 2013-2014 squad.
The Jets have already signed defender Adrian Madaschi and midfielder Josh Barresi.
And it is understood the club is still in the market for two more players ahead of the 2014-15 campaign.
Stubbins is confident the Jets will be able to match the contribution of Taggart who was the A-League’s top goalscorer last season.
“Obviously the goals amassed by Taggart were of significant numbers, however it’s a great opportunity for the rest of the players to step up now,” he said.
“I wanted more contributors from the squad moving forward and I believe we have more now.
"Taggart will be missed but I’m confident in the group we have to get us the goals we need.”
The names of the latest signings are expected to be announced officially by the club soon.

So... no real new news apart from senior Spanish player in midfield and confirmation that the theorised Ecuadorian striker is actually Ecuadorian.

leftrightout
25-06-2014, 03:23 AM
Seriously if you are going to give such specific info like "young Ecuador striker and experienced Spain midfielder" you may as well just tell everyone who the **** they are! Just dragging it out is pissing everyone off!

Fact is, if it falls through, everyone will ****ing know if a Spain or Ecuador don't show at start of season.

joel31
25-06-2014, 09:46 AM
hopefully he does well

sammydog
25-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Aaron Kearney was saying on the radio this morning that there has been complications overnight with the spanish player and it may have fallen through.

q-money
25-06-2014, 01:24 PM
back to normal service then

pv4
25-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Bet the Spanish player was/is Cirio from AUFC.

parksey
25-06-2014, 02:12 PM
zura mk II

leftrightout
25-06-2014, 02:23 PM

Cirio was not really a midfielder though, he was more a wide attacker. Well thats where he played for Adelaide.

If it was him, im not too upset. He didnt really standout in my opinon

Pico
25-06-2014, 03:42 PM
I don't think Cirio ever played La Liga though.

scarfy96
26-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Spanish deal definitely fallen through

However, a bid to bring in an experienced Spanish midfielder – revealed to be 33-year-old Arturo GarcÃ*a Muñoz, or Arzu – fell short unexpectedly yesterday morning.

Stubbins had hoped Arzu, who played most of his 270 games with Real Betis in La Liga, would be in Newcastle for a medical this week.

Any chance of a deal ended in a 2am phone call from Arzu to Stubbins yesterday.

‘‘He would have been great for us,’’ Stubbins said. ‘‘He was captain of Real Betis at one stage and played with, and against, some very good players but it wasn’t to be.

‘‘His wife is due to have their second baby in August and it proved a bridge too far to be away from his young family.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2377193/jets-may-change-tack-on-hunt-for-third-frontman/?cs=306

Mark325
26-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Could someone list all the guys we're supposedly trying to sign? Right now we're at 21, Birraz is still expected to leave so that moves us down to 20. So, we've only got three more spots left

borat
26-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Spanish deal definitely fallen through

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2377193/jets-may-change-tack-on-hunt-for-third-frontman/?cs=306

Midleby to blame for this. If only he had of sealed this transfer without knocking up his wife.

Midleby out

q-money
26-06-2014, 12:32 PM
i knew it

Blackmac79
26-06-2014, 03:47 PM
FFA announces national club identity policy

Football Federation Australia (FFA) has today announced that a National Club Identity Policy will be implemented for all clubs affiliated to FFA-approved competitions, effective from today.

The policy has been developed after the Member Federations and FFA identified a need for ‎a national policy in regard to club names and identities, which will provide consistency and certainty across all jurisdictions..

FFA CEO David Gallop explained that the key principle of the National Club Identity Policy is to promote football as Australia’s most inclusive, accessible and multicultural sport.

“Football is now a part of the mainstream of Australian society and has achieved that status while also retaining its rich diversity,” said Gallop.

“The intent of the National Club Identity Policy is to ensure the game remains inclusive and accessible, not just in the way we organise ourselves, but in how we engage with the community.

“The very name and logo of a club sends a message about what that club stands for. We want clubs that stand for uniting people through the joy of football,” concluded Gallop.

The National Club Identity Policy says that any new or revised club names, logos and emblems of clubs may have the following components; words or letters in English; and/or references to the broader geographic area in which the club is located; and/or colours; and/or references to flora; and/or references to fauna, provided that these components do not carry any ethnic, national, political, racial or religious connotations either in isolation or combination.

The policy will not be applied retrospectively, in deference to those clubs with long-standing usage of names that would otherwise not comply with the new policy.

The full policy can be viewed at www.footballaustralia.com.au or the websites of the nine State and Territory Member Federations.

bye bye efnicks

pv4
26-06-2014, 03:55 PM
bye bye efnicks

So any current club is OK, it's just new clubs that can't do this?

What clubs in Newcastle would be affected if they could make current clubs change?

- Hamilton Azzuri (Azzuri is Italian)
- Hunter Simba (Simba is a non-English word)
- Hamilton Olympic (would they make Greek teams remove the Olympic?)
- NBN Azzuri (has Italian flag in logo, doesn't it?)
- Broadmeadow Magic (does it's logo show the Macedonian flag from memory?)

Any others?

What do they plan on doing about the Christian Leagues? Their entire league, and most teams, carry religious connotations.

GazFish35
26-06-2014, 04:10 PM
So any current club is OK, it's just new clubs that can't do this?

What clubs in Newcastle would be affected if they could make current clubs change?

- Hamilton Azzuri (Azzuri is Italian)
- Hunter Simba (Simba is a non-English word)
- Hamilton Olympic (would they make Greek teams remove the Olympic?)
- NBN Azzuri (has Italian flag in logo, doesn't it?)
- Broadmeadow Magic (does it's logo show the Macedonian flag from memory?)

Any others?

What do they plan on doing about the Christian Leagues? They're entire league, and most teams, carry religious connotations.

christian leagues arent registered with ffa are they?

I can see this actually dividing the game, we could end up with unregistered leagues springing up - more so in sydney and melbourne

One of the strengths of the game is that in any given league there are clubs representing thier members ethnic background, and a look at he league table is great evidenvce of the diversity our game represents.

As a white, anglo-saxon protestant I'd like to start a team called the Wingham WASPS, playing in all white. Can this be approved.

q-money
26-06-2014, 04:21 PM
i was of the impresison that there already are unregistered leagues running in sydney, with stacks of blokes that have been banned from FFA affiliated leagues

your bash brothers FCs and the like

i guarantee this will do absolutely nothing to the game though, whatsoever

pv4
26-06-2014, 04:30 PM
i was of the impresison that there already are unregistered leagues running in sydney, with stacks of blokes that have been banned from FFA affiliated leagues

your bash brothers FCs and the like

i guarantee this will do absolutely nothing to the game though, whatsoever

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XswATfrndXs/S9-cFJ88dBI/AAAAAAAACFA/8_MV5f6gP20/s400/D2_aaron3.jpg

Yeah, would be more of an issue in your Sydneys, Melbournes, etc.

Not sure how much of an effect it would have in Newcastle. Most clubs update their logos every 10 or so years anyway, so you'd imagine the likes of Azzuri (NBN) and Magic wouldn't have the worlds biggest cry if it happened. If Olympic were forced to change their name they'd probably have a fit. I have no idea how Hamilton Azzuri is setup and run but I imagine they'd eventually come to terms with changing their name (the only thing I know about that club is I've seen two of their teams, neither of which seemed to have Italian players in it from my incredibly quick scout - great logo though). Simba, particularly because they're new, I'm sure wouldn't care too much.

It'd probably just be your clubs in West Sydney that are running around in red/white checks and the likes that are going to cause the biggest stinks.

Blackmac79
26-06-2014, 05:04 PM
East Sydney hakoah.

Thomas477
26-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Can confirm the Christian leagues are entirely outside FFA's influence. Not much FFA can do about them. There has been talk about them moving to being under NNSWF banner, but with this, I doubt it will happen now.

As for local clubs, St Johns Anglican, the newest club to Newcastle football, may have to change our name.

parksey
26-06-2014, 06:09 PM
good, this is straya.

there is no place for religion here.

GazFish35
26-06-2014, 06:38 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XswATfrndXs/S9-cFJ88dBI/AAAAAAAACFA/8_MV5f6gP20/s400/D2_aaron3.jpg

Yeah, would be more of an issue in your Sydneys, Melbournes, etc.

Not sure how much of an effect it would have in Newcastle. Most clubs update their logos every 10 or so years anyway, so you'd imagine the likes of Azzuri (NBN) and Magic wouldn't have the worlds biggest cry if it happened. If Olympic were forced to change their name they'd probably have a fit. I have no idea how Hamilton Azzuri is setup and run but I imagine they'd eventually come to terms with changing their name (the only thing I know about that club is I've seen two of their teams, neither of which seemed to have Italian players in it from my incredibly quick scout - great logo though). Simba, particularly because they're new, I'm sure wouldn't care too much.

It'd probably just be your clubs in West Sydney that are running around in red/white checks and the likes that are going to cause the biggest stinks.

You're making a hell of a lot of assumptions.

If a bunch of people want to start a football club and they want some reference to something that they share in common I can't see how if that commonality is ethnicity that incorporating it into their club name or badge or colours doesn't anything to alienate people from the sport..... By not letting new clubs acknowledge a shared heritage amongst its founders actually aliens them for the the wider game.

A group of recently arrived afghan refugees seek to start a football club in order to help strengthen their community by coming together to support each other and start the process of assimilating into Australian sporting community, one thing they wish to include in their name/logo is the snow leopard and play in black and white.

FFA says NO, you must assimilate under our terms, we want to be inclusive, so you aren't welcome to celebrate your heritage.

How he **** does that make sense?

Football is the world game, except in Australia where you must pretend we are the same, instead of celebrating the fact we are all different.

scarfy96
26-06-2014, 10:55 PM
As for local clubs, St Johns Anglican, the newest club to Newcastle football, may have to change our name.

There is a very high probability they will be doing that anyway for next season so it wont be an issue for them.

scarfy96
26-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Football is the world game, except in Australia where you must pretend we are the same, instead of celebrating the fact we are all different.

This

Thomas477
26-06-2014, 11:18 PM
There is a very high probability they will be doing that anyway for next season so it wont be an issue for them.

Care to elaborate? Are you involved with us, or have you just head that around the zone meetings?

Rocknerd
27-06-2014, 10:27 AM
You're making a hell of a lot of assumptions.

If a bunch of people want to start a football club and they want some reference to something that they share in common I can't see how if that commonality is ethnicity that incorporating it into their club name or badge or colours doesn't anything to alienate people from the sport..... By not letting new clubs acknowledge a shared heritage amongst its founders actually aliens them for the the wider game.

A group of recently arrived afghan refugees seek to start a football club in order to help strengthen their community by coming together to support each other and start the process of assimilating into Australian sporting community, one thing they wish to include in their name/logo is the snow leopard and play in black and white.

FFA says NO, you must assimilate under our terms, we want to be inclusive, so you aren't welcome to celebrate your heritage.

How he **** does that make sense?

I had a whole thing typed about the NSL and the problem with clubs founded with Ethnic roots but it all got to involved and complex, let's just say, you aren't wrong, but you're not right either. it is a fine line between the idea and the reality.

MFKS
27-06-2014, 02:56 PM
If these ethnic teams are playing park football what's the problem???

They ain't in the national league like they once we're

Who comes up with this dumb shit??

The clowns at FFA need to mend some fences with the ethnicity not further marginalised them

Dumb ****s

Skirt Boy
27-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Be cool if the introduced something like this in England.....................No more ****ing Arsenal. :D

GazFish35
27-06-2014, 04:06 PM
I had a whole thing typed about the NSL and the problem with clubs founded with Ethnic roots but it all got to involved and complex, let's just say, you aren't wrong, but you're not right either. it is a fine line between the idea and the reality.

I know.
My argument is flawed when you start asking clubs to be finacially viable on a national league perspective..... thats when the economic impact of having a club based on small minority of the community comes into play.

I'm just not a fan of the FFA mandating that clubs must be homogenised.
If South Melbourne can be finacially viable on a national stage by only appealing to the greek community, then good luck to them, Sydey United likewise. If us Anglo's want homoginsed clubs in order to throw our finacial support behind football, then we should do what all the ethnic communities have done and support a ****ing football club.

If ethnic based clubs cant be finacially viable then they have to open their doors and be more welcoming, or they fall from grace, but the fall from grace must be from their own doing, not from the governing body telling them they can no longer be in the top league because of the ethnicity of the comunity they respresent.

A scenario
In thirty years time the jets fold.
Magic win promotion to the top league ion the country.
they can support themselves through the hard work and financial backing of the newcastle macedonian community
good luck to them.

if they cant support themselves, theyre relgated.
they are replaced by a club who can support themselves

why must the FFA mandate club logos etc?
simply set a series of suggested "best practice" guidlines.
if you want yoyur club to be finacially viable, its best practice to be imaged in a manner that is inclusive of all.
if you want to image yourselves as representing one section of the community...... you might struggle to be finacially viable.
BUT LEAVE THE FRIGGIN DECISION TO THE CLUBS

GazFish35
27-06-2014, 04:07 PM

The clowns at FFA need to mend some fences with the ethnicity not further marginalised them

Dumb ****s

world is spinning in opposite direction! MFKS posts something i agree with!

Jeterpool
27-06-2014, 04:41 PM

Dumb ****s

Someone's just created themselves some work IMO

Rocknerd
27-06-2014, 04:46 PM
I know.
My argument is flawed when you start asking clubs to be finacially viable on a national league perspective..... thats when the economic impact of having a club based on small minority of the community comes into play.

I'm just not a fan of the FFA mandating that clubs must be homogenised.
If South Melbourne can be finacially viable on a national stage by only appealing to the greek community, then good luck to them, Sydey United likewise. If us Anglo's want homoginsed clubs in order to throw our finacial support behind football, then we should do what all the ethnic communities have done and support a ****ing football club.

If ethnic based clubs cant be finacially viable then they have to open their doors and be more welcoming, or they fall from grace, but the fall from grace must be from their own doing, not from the governing body telling them they can no longer be in the top league because of the ethnicity of the comunity they respresent.

A scenario
In thirty years time the jets fold.
Magic win promotion to the top league ion the country.
they can support themselves through the hard work and financial backing of the newcastle macedonian community
good luck to them.

if they cant support themselves, theyre relgated.
they are replaced by a club who can support themselves

if you want yoyur club to be finacially viable, its best practice to be imaged in a manner that is inclusive of all.
if you want to image yourselves as representing one section of the community...... you might struggle to be finacially viable.

I don't care about viability at all, and I agree FFA shouldn't mandate anything regarding any club. However the focus should be on inclusiveness. The old clubs built on the backs of Immigrants became to inclusive and stopped themselves from growing and joining with the greater community (from my experiences in the NSL anyway). If these clubs had been more forward thinking and focus less on holding onto the pasts they left behind, thought more of the future that could be, we'd never have had to dismantle the NSL and the A-League would never have happened.

This isn't the first time that old clubs have been asked to remove their ethnic attachments from the clubs, after all Sydney and Melbourne Croatia, South Melbourne Hellas etal had to change their names to assimilate with Aus culture more in the 90's.

northern_swan
27-06-2014, 10:54 PM

It sounds similar to something that the AFL tried to implement a number of years ago whereby Community Clubs were actively encouraged to follow the kit design and moniker of one of the AFL clubs. Some clubs took it up, but there was such a backlash from the "old boys" that it was quickly abandoned.

hawk
28-06-2014, 12:57 AM
Can confirm the Christian leagues are entirely outside FFA's influence. Not much FFA can do about them. There has been talk about them moving to being under NNSWF banner, but with this, I doubt it will happen now.

they deregistered 2 yrs ago.
it costs $100 for rego which include ins. this means the asshole ffa and northern have to skulk for funds from exhobitant junior fees.

hawk
28-06-2014, 12:59 AM

Johns St Anglers

MFKS
28-06-2014, 05:42 AM
world is spinning in opposite direction! MFKS posts something i agree with!

Relax I will be home in 3 weeks and the Sth American air will not be filling my head with sanity

Premy
28-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Be cool if the introduced something like this in England.....................No more ****ing Arsenal. :D

No more Spurs either.

Blackmac79
28-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Why has the club insisted on following this 10 years bullshit this season. We were not formed at the start of the a-league, we formed before it! Farken hell it pisses me off

ToddG NBUnited
28-06-2014, 11:47 AM
to be fair to the club, they haven't said anywhere that it is the clubs 10 year anniversary, only that it is the JETS 10 year anniversary.

ToddG NBUnited
28-06-2014, 11:48 AM
in saying that, we should of had a 10 yr celebration when it was the CLUBS 10 yr.

Blackmac79
28-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Didn't con put something on? Or plan something before he lost it?

Skirt Boy
28-06-2014, 12:20 PM
No more Spurs either.

Tottenham is a geographical area and Tottenham Hotspur are based in.......Tottenham.

The nickname Hotspur is derived from Henry Percy a knight/nobleman with strong links to the local area around Tottenham.

Premy
28-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Tottenham is a geographical area and Tottenham Hotspur are based in.......Tottenham.

The nickname Hotspur is derived from Henry Percy a knight/nobleman with strong links to the local area around Tottenham.
On Tuesday 5 September 1882, the Hotspur Football Club was formed by grammar-school boys from the Bible class at All Hallows Church.

Jetmaster
28-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Grasshoppers of Zurich, Newell's Old Boys, Barcelona SC, Real Salt Lake....it just gets sillier the more you look into it.

scarfy96
30-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Care to elaborate? Are you involved with us, or have you just head that around the zone meetings?

Not on a public forum right at this moment.

Pico
01-07-2014, 09:03 AM
2014-15 season: video
By JAMES GARDINER
June 30, 2014, 10:30 p.m

PHIL Stubbins has at least two places to fill on his roster but the rookie Newcastle Jets coach could afford a smile after a promising opening to the pre-season.

The Jets began preparations for the 2014-15 A-League campaign with a ballwork session at Ray Watt Oval yesterday.

Stubbins, assistant Clayton Zane and new strength and conditioning coach Andrew Packer put the group through a rigorous 90-minute workout.

‘‘There was certainly a lot of energy out there and the boys embraced the session really well,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘In terms of the first interaction between the group and the new coaching staff, it was excellent.

‘‘We will have the balls out every day.

‘‘In terms of the touch and everything else, and the quality of the training session, it was a good standard.’’

Star recruit Marcos Flores, right back Scott Neville and luckless midfielder Mitch Cooper, who are recovering from knee reconstructions, worked with physiotherapist Rob Dingle.

Andrew Hoole is recovering from a shoulder operation last month and was a spectator.

Ecuadorian striker Edson Montano and keeper Mark Birighitti, who has been given extra time off, were the only players not in attendance.

Stubbins had hoped to have the squad completed by the start of the pre-season but Adam Taggart’s transfer to Fulham and the surprise exit by Zenon Caravella has left a couple of holes.

Stubbins said talks were advanced with a holding midfielder, a striker and a winger.

‘‘It is a matter of deciding which ones we want,’’ he said.

‘‘Financially we have come to an understanding. That has been almost agreed.

‘‘Who we bring in is the question? We certainly want to bring in two of those.’’

The biggest shoes to fill are those of Taggart.

The 21-year-old had a breakthrough season in which he scored 16 goals, almost half of the Jets’ haul of 34, to claim the Golden Boot and a trip with the Socceroos to the World Cup in Brazil where he started against Spain.

‘‘We need to get the balance right,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘Everyone has to have a point of difference up front.

‘‘We have two strikers in Joel Griffiths and Edson Montano. Joel was very good in front of goal today and I hope that continues.

‘‘To bring someone else in, they have to be in the mould of Adam Taggart, who was a genuine goal scorer.

‘‘Looking at the squad from the outside in, and going through the squad, we needed more goals spread across the team.

‘‘As a reflection of that we have bought players in to the squad that will be able to facilitate that.

‘‘But 16 goals from one player, that is gone. The challenge now is for someone to fill that void.’’

In a good sign, Flores and Neville both ran freely.

‘‘It will be like getting three new players when we get Marcos, Scotty and Mitch back,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘There is probably four or five weeks before any sort of stress is put on those players in terms of coming back to the group.

Stubbins hoped that Montano, who is in Ecuador awaiting visa approval, would be here soon.

‘‘He is from South America; how long that process takes, I don’t know at this point.

‘‘We are doing everything we can to get him here as quick as possible. We need him here.’’

Nick Ward, who played the final third of last season as an injury replacement for Cooper, is trialling for a permanent place.

‘‘We had good reports from the staff with regards to his input last year,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘So far he has done very well. He was really good in the testing the other day and hopefully, things continue on and it comes to a positive conclusion.’’

The Jets have pencilled in July 23 for their first game most likely against the Malaysian under 23s at Magic Park.

‘‘The games will flow after that, leading up to the Townsville Cup (August 24-30) which will be great, playing against Brisbane Roar and Sydney FC,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘Everyone knows the A-League has a long pre-season and we have plenty of time to prepare ourselves.

‘‘I have come in and said from the start that we need to change the dynamic a little bit.

‘‘We need to move forward and are trying to instil a new culture.

‘‘There will obviously be a change because somebody else has come into the [coach’s] seat.

‘‘If you look at the clubs at the pointy end of the A-League, they have things in place which have allowed them to get there.

‘‘Having good players is one thing – I think we have some good players – but also the culture. The everyday environment, how they go about their business, how they represent the shirt of the club.’’

www.theherald.com.au/story/2386852/jets-kick-off-2014-15-season-video/?cs=306

Don't really see the point in signing ward, does not fill the CB, LB, Winger or Striker positions which are either light on in the squad or publicly being discussed, a really pointless squad filler type signing but we already have a heap of those on the books.

Jeterpool
01-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Don't really see the point in signing ward, doe not fill the CB, LB, Winger or Striker positions which are either light on in the squad or publicly being discussed, a really pointless squad filler type signing but we already have a heap of those on the books.

I agree

pv4
01-07-2014, 09:10 AM
I really liked Ward last season. He's a very experienced utility who seemed to bring a good vibe to the trainings I watched.

Hope the defensive mid they're talking to is Jobe.

Pico
01-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Broadmeadow Magic to host first televised FFA Cup game
By CRAIG KERRY
June 30, 2014, 5:30 p.m

BROADMEADOW Magic will host the first televised game of the inaugural nationwide FFA Cup knockout on July 29.

Dates and venues for round of 32 games were confirmed on Monday and Magic were given the honour of featuring first on Fox Sports’ live coverage of the competition.

They will take on former National Soccer League club Brisbane Strikers at Magic Park from 7.30pm.

Fellow Northern NSW National Premier League club South Cardiff are away to Victorian third-tier club South Springvale in one of the other three matches to be played simultaneously on July 29.

The Gunners with feature in live crosses on Fox Sports along with Manly United versus Sydney Olympic and Melbourne Knights versus Queensland NPL outfit Olympic FC.

Newcastle Jets host Perth Glory on August 5 at a venue yet to be determined, although Magic may also host that fixture due Hunter Stadium’s unavailability.

www.theherald.com.au/story/2386246/broadmeadow-magic-to-host-first-televised-ffa-cup-game/?cs=306

Great to see Fox jumping on board early with an all NPL fixture, I had thought that they might only show the games where HAL opponents are present.

Would be great to see the single camera at other games used for the highlights and live crosses to be available to be streamed on either fox sports or the FFA website.

Confirms that Hunter Stadium definitely wont be used for the cup game. I like the idea of using No. 2 personally, but can see the club looking to either take it out to cessnock or somewhere else around NNSW.

Pico
01-07-2014, 09:17 AM
I really liked Ward last season. He's a very experienced utility who seemed to bring a good vibe to the trainings I watched.

Hope the defensive mid they're talking to is Jobe.

You're dreaming if you think its Jobe, burned Bridges (:lol:) and all that, I'd say it will be a visa player.

I don't think Ward played badly at the end of last year, but we just don't need another CM who is neither filling a gap in the squad or a standout above what we already have.

pv4
01-07-2014, 09:25 AM
You're dreaming if you think its Jobe, burned Bridges (:lol:) and all that, I'd say it will be a visa player.

I don't think Ward played badly at the end of last year, but we just don't need another CM who is neither filling a gap in the squad or a standout above what we already have.

There's a few of the people at the club when those bridges were burnt that aren't there anymore, though. Like GVE, for eg.

I thought most of the time Ward came on it was as a second striker - just throwing someone on who could hold onto the ball and relieve some of the pressure we had by continually losing the ball. The amount of HAL clubs Ward has been through I'd assume he doesn't exactly have a host of clubs offering him big deals so I daresay for a former Aus youth and Championship player that he'd come relatively cheap. And while probably not being looked at as a starter, he's a pretty useful sub to bring on IMO.

Frodo
01-07-2014, 10:57 AM
I thought most of the time Ward came on it was as a second striker - just throwing someone on who could hold onto the ball and relieve some of the pressure we had by continually losing the ball. The amount of HAL clubs Ward has been through I'd assume he doesn't exactly have a host of clubs offering him big deals so I daresay for a former Aus youth and Championship player that he'd come relatively cheap. And while probably not being looked at as a starter, he's a pretty useful sub to bring on IMO.

Wouldn't Stubbs be looking to put Barresi on in the 2nd half if we need another ball player in the attacking 3rd? I really liked Ward last year and he would be a supurb squad addition, we may need him if Brilliante leaves, but i guess he would be slowing the potential growth of Cooper and Barresi if they are to have a crack at the first team this year.

borat
01-07-2014, 11:35 AM

I don't think Ward played badly at the end of last year, but we just don't need another CM who is neither filling a gap in the squad or a standout above what we already have.. Ward played left wing once or twice after Burns left and before Carney signed. He would be quality backup at a cheap price as he is desperate to continue in the A-league. Would also be a better backup to Flores tan Baressi and would probably start until Flores is fit.

lil_masi
01-07-2014, 11:52 AM
. Ward played left wing once or twice after Burns left and before Carney signed. He would be quality backup at a cheap price as he is desperate to continue in the A-league. Would also be a better backup to Flores tan Baressi and would probably start until Flores is fit.

I would rather Ward than Virgilli

The Dunster
01-07-2014, 01:00 PM
I'd be happy enough to sign Nick Ward. As was said earlier he's not going to cost a lot.

hausmann
01-07-2014, 09:08 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/201415-Membership-coming-soon/91011

This season we start a new chapter. A chapter where we can look forward to a brighter future knowing we have stuck together through good times and bad.

Our Members have been incredible, stood together and remained rock solid. This alone re-enforces the sentiment of proud, loyal Novocastrians that this town continues to own. Something that no other Club in the A-League can boast.

We’re all in this together. A whole Club working as one. And together as one, we are stronger and more powerful. Together we are confident that we can achieve our goal for the new season.

To continue our Club’s growth both on and off the field we need your support. We ask every fan and supporter to believe, unite and JOIN THE FIGHT by becoming a Member.

We are pleased to announce that Jets Membership will be going on-sale in July (keep an eye out for updates). If you are not a Member or a subscriber, sign up for a MyJETS Account here

Let’s let the rest of the A-League know that we’re coming united as one and stronger than ever.

Robbie Middleby and Phil Stubbins

So it looks like all the Marketing people have been sacked and Robbie and Phil are writing their own copy. Well its either them or the work experience kid.

Grimario
01-07-2014, 09:15 PM
That's a great. Little post by Rob and Phil. And we will gladly. Join the fight.

**** me, PR and Marketing OUT, absolute ****ing drivel IN.

Also, what's wrong with the tried and true REINFORCES?

GazFish35
01-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Our Members have been incredible, stood together and remained rock solid

Through what? The GVE years?

hausmann
01-07-2014, 09:38 PM
To the Jets, just copy and paste this into your website to replace your article. You are free to use it:

"To Jets supporters, our recent history has left us truly humbled and extremely appreciative of the support you continue to show the club. We realise now we acted like giddy school girls chasing after that other team. What can we say? We thought they were what we always wanted. We didn't realise that we had everything we desired right here, and we chased after them, only be used and abused. They took our love, took our money and then deserted us.

We thought we had nowhere to turn and then we realised that what we desired most of all had been there all along. It was you, the kid with three Jets painted on your cheek. It was You, the humble old man with a thoughtful gaze that reveals an intelligent football brain. It was you, the happy and sometimes a bit rebellious teen who likes to stand on chairs a bit too much. It was you, the wife who organises her husband and four kids so that you can all get to the game before kick-off. It was you, the man who liked to yell abuse at Gary van Egmond.

It is not you who needs to change; You've been there for us, solid and unwavering through the last 3 seasons of HSG ownership. It's us. We got too big for our boots and forgot what community was about. We thought it was about us, not about you. This season is not about us asking you to do anything other than enjoy being yourselves. We aren't calling you to Believe, Unite and Join the Fight, because that would just be a cheesy slogan. It is about us standing up and showing that we represent you when we play. We can represent you because we now know deep inside who you are. The players we have in the squad this year are men who really want to be here, playing for our city and representing you.

We will make you proud again."

Blackmac79
01-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Do people really fall for this shit? Do they read "JOIN THE FIGHT" in capitals and all, and think yes, I am going to buy a membership?

GazFish35
01-07-2014, 09:53 PM
To the Jets, just copy and paste this into your website to replace your article. You are free to use it:

"To Jets supporters, our recent history has left us truly humbled and extremely appreciative of the support you continue to show the club. We realise now we acted like giddy school girls chasing after that other team. What can we say? We thought they were what we always wanted. We didn't realise that we had everything we desired right here, and we chased after them, only be used and abused. They took our love, took our money and then deserted us.

We thought we had nowhere to turn and then we realised that what we desired most of all had been there all along. It was you, the kid with three Jets painted on your cheek. It was You, the humble old man with a thoughtful gaze that reveals an intelligent football brain. It was you, the happy and sometimes a bit rebellious teen who likes to stand on chairs a bit too much. It was you, the wife who organises her husband and four kids so that you can all get to the game before kick-off. It was you, the man who liked to yell abuse at Gary van Egmond.

It is not you who needs to change; You've been there for us, solid and unwavering through the last 3 seasons of HSG ownership. It's us. We got too big for our boots and forgot what community was about. We thought it was about us, not about you. This season is not about us asking you to do anything other than enjoy being yourselves. We aren't calling you to Believe, Unite and Join the Fight, because that would just be a cheesy slogan. It is about us standing up and showing that we represent you when we play. We can represent you because we now know deep inside who you are. The players we have in the squad this year are men who really want to be here, playing for our city and representing you.

We will make you proud again."

Please post this on Facebook!

hawk
02-07-2014, 12:08 AM
Unite & join the Fight? didnt ffa ensure there was no fighting. Only fight we have is to starve off embarrassment & infighting. Surley not under stubbsy

Pico
04-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Conflict of interest may keep Quayle off Knights board
By ROBERT DILLON
July 3, 2014, 10:20 p.m.

HE has been touted as the next Knights chairman, but veteran administrator John Quayle admitted yesterday that, as things stand, he might be ineligible to accept a position on Newcastle’s new-look board of directors.

Quayle, the general manager of the NSWRL and then chief executive of the ARL from 1983 to 1996, has been invited to contribute in an advisory capacity as the NRL creates a new management structure for the Knights to replace the recently removed Hunter Sports Group.

Given his years of experience and the fact he has lived in Denman for the past 10 years, Quayle was seen as an outstanding candidate to chair the new seven-person board.

But Quayle told the Newcastle Herald yesterday that his role as Venues NSW chairman could represent a conflict of interest.

Venues NSW is the government body which manages Hunter Stadium, so Quayle is in effect the Knights’ landlord, an issue that becomes even more problematic because the Knights will soon need to start negotiating a new lease.

‘‘In my current role, that is a conflict, and the staff of both organisations are working on that,’’ Quayle said yesterday.

‘‘But if it becomes a conflict, you can’t do both ... I wouldn’t want to put anyone in any position, including myself, of saying I was in a position of conflict. Here we are, trying to build a perfect model of corporate governance [for the Knights], and you wouldn’t want someone like me if people thought there was a perception of conflict.’’

Quayle said there might be no conflict if the long-term stadium-hiring agreement that HSG negotiated in December, which has since been terminated, was able to ‘‘flow on’’ to the new Knights entity.

‘‘In that case, it’s probably not an issue,’’ Quayle said.

‘‘But if it becomes a negotiating process, it would be a conflict, and myself personally, I wouldn’t want to be in the position of making it a conflict for the government or the Knights.’’

Quayle stressed that was still a hypothetical scenario because he was yet to be offered any formal role with the Knights and had attended only one planning and strategy meeting as an advisor.

He said the 10-year lease HSG signed with Venues NSW had been ‘‘conditional’’ on the Nathan Tinkler company owning both the Knights and the Jets A-League franchise.

Now Tinkler has relinquished control of the Knights, separate deals will need to be negotiated for both teams.

Quayle said long-term deals would be preferable.

‘‘Everyone needs certainty,’’ he said. ‘‘It’s very much part of your budget.’’

In the interim, the Knights are hiring the stadium on what Quayle said was a ‘‘mutually agreed’’ game-by-game basis.

Quayle, who was managing the NSWRL when it was agreed Newcastle would enter the premiership in 1988, echoed comments from coach Wayne Bennett that rebuilding the club would take patience.

Bennett said last week that it would take ‘‘four or five years’’ to re-establish the Knights as NRL heavyweights.

‘‘You can have success on the field, but to build the club and get stability for the long-term benefit, for me that will take a minimum of five years,’’ Quayle said.

Quayle expected the Knights would have a board in place by October, but that did not mean the club would be in limbo for the next three months.

‘‘In the meantime, naturally you can’t be waiting until October to start planning for next year,’’ he said.

‘‘The planning for that is already in place, and the good thing is that Wayne has committed to be part of that planning process, no matter what happens in relation to him for next year, and that hasn’t been stated, as you would be aware.’’
www.theherald.com.au/story/2394889/conflict-of-interest-may-keep-quayle-off-knights-board/?cs=303

Who are they kidding, he'll be appointed as chairman, the herald and the NRL PR have been pushing this angle for the past couple of weeks, there will also be a conflict which is why they are putting all the effort in nice and early to help mitigate any public sentiment.

I've got a bad feeling about this, heading back to the days of the knights having mates on the ISC trust again, bet the knights get a nice cheap deal with exclusive rights during the NRL season.

Pico
08-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Itinerant Gallagher on trial to call Jets home
By JAMES GARDINER
July 7, 2014, 10 p.m

JETS coach Phil Stubbins is in tune with the hurdles associated with playing in developing football leagues in south-east Asia.

Stubbins spent two years coaching in Thailand before handed the reins of the Jets this season.

He understands the difficulties players, especially foreigners, can experience.

That was, in part, behind his decision to offer former Young Socceroos defender Sam Gallagher a trial at the Jets.

Gallagher, 23, joined the Jets yesterday and will train with the squad for a week.

The 183cm, left-sided centre back spent the past six months in Vietnam at V-League champions Hanoi T&T.

‘‘The thing that drew me to Sam Gallagher – he has had a couple of clubs now – was that he has been in Vietnam,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘He has had to stand on his own two feet. It is not easy over there. The experience of what he had in Vietnam will be good for him.’’

Before heading to Vietnam, Gallagher had a short stint in Norway at second division club IF Birkebeineren.

The Jets have three places left on their roster.

Central defence is one area they lack a little bit of depth.

Former Socceroo Adrian Madaschi, who is also a left-footer, has joined Kew Jaliens and Taylor Regan.

But there is a hole to fill following the departure of Connor Chapman (Melbourne Heart) and Josh Mitchell, who was released and signed last week with Chinese Super League’s Liaoning Whowin.

Newcastle would be Gallagher’s fourth A-League club.

A Gladesville junior, he was elevated from Sydney FC’s youth team to the senior squad midway through the 2009-10 campaign but did not feature in their minor and major premiership campaign.

He was picked up by Central Coast Mariners, but only played one game in two seasons. It was a similar scenario at Melbourne Victory, where he made two appearances in 2012-13.

Despite a lack of A-League game time, he was a regular with the Young Socceroos, playing 18 games including the 2011 FIFA under-20 World Cup in Colombia, where he was teammates with Jets regulars Ben Kantarovski and goalkeeper Mark Birighitti.

‘‘I think knowing his shortfalls previously in the A-League will stand him in good stead,’’ Stubbins said.

Midfielder Nick Ward, who played the second half of last season for the Jets as an injury replacement for Mitch Cooper, is also on trial.

‘‘He has done everything asked of him,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘He is a great lad and thought of very highly by the group and the staff.

‘‘We are working on a couple of things with the composition of the squad.

‘‘We still have a couple of overseas options to look at. It is a bit of a juggling act.’’
www.theherald.com.au/story/2402189/itinerant-gallagher-on-trial-to-call-jets-home-gallery/?cs=306

Another squad filler, I was really hoping we would be looking at a quality left back, seems we are not interested at all with all these CB options that keep being mentioned.

Pico
08-07-2014, 08:45 AM
Craig Goodwin ready to weigh in for Jets
By JAMES GARDINER
July 7, 2014, 10 p.m

TWO kilograms may not seem like a lot of weight, but for Jets winger Craig Goodwin it could mean the world.

After a mandatory two-week rest, Goodwin spent the majority of the off-season working in Adelaide with a personal trainer.

Finishing the season at 71kg, he now tips the scales at 73kg and feels better for it.

‘‘I had a couple of weeks of doing nothing as requested by the club and then started in the gym,’’ Goodwin said yesterday.

‘‘I have put on about two kilograms and feel stronger and a lot more stable.

‘‘I am paying more attention to what I do off the field. Physically with the gym-side of things, recovery, diet ... the whole lot.’’

The change in approach came after a disappointing 2013-14 A-League campaign.

This time last season Goodwin trialled with English Championship side Reading, and not long after was called up for his Socceroos debut at the East Asia Cup.

‘‘When I came back from the Reading trial, I felt a bit fatigued and had patella tendonitis,’’ he said.

‘‘That troubled me for most of last season.

‘‘I got down to 69kg and wasn’t happy with the way the season panned out.

‘‘From then to now I feel 100per cent better.’’

Goodwin made 19 appearances last season but didn’t have the impact he had hoped.

Playing predominantly as a left winger, his two goals came in a 3-2 loss to Wellington Phoenix in round 18.

The late-season arrival, and then form, of former Socceroo Dave Carney limited Goodwin’s chances.

Both signed two-year deals, Goodwin in February and Carney in May.

Goodwin admitted that he considered looking elsewhere and a chance for more playing opportunities but opted to back himself.

‘‘At the end of the day, I was happy with all the things surrounding football,’’ he said.

‘‘I love the city and the people. It was purely the football side. Physically I was not in the best condition.

‘‘Towards the back end of the season, I started to do better and got a couple of goals and assists.

‘‘I’m looking forward to this season and I think it will be a good one ... new coach and quiet a few new players.

‘‘I think I can cement a role, maybe at left fullback if Carney is going to play high. Either of those positions I feel confident I can have a good year.’’

Goodwin made a spectacular A-League debut at left back for Melbourne Heart and also spent time in defence during his two Socceroos caps.

‘‘I’m comfortable playing there,’’ he said.

‘‘It depends on the coach. Last year they preferred me in an attacking role.

‘‘I said it when I first came here ‘I don’t care where I play as long as I get a game’.’’

Goodwin, 22, was used mainly in defence during an attacking drill at training yesterday.

‘‘I need to work on my defensive attributes,’’ Goodwin said.

‘‘I haven’t spoken to Phil about it. We are only two weeks in [to pre-season] and just starting to learn how he wants us to play.

‘‘We will see what happens, but I expect I might have a run at left back in a pre-season game.’’

Sam Gallaway, who is right sided, started all bar three games at left fullback last season and had a strong campaign.

‘‘We want to have two players in every spot,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘From there it is a challenge to try and play.

‘‘If you have that balance in your team – a lefty in the position where he is supposed to be – it allows you to play the game in a way that is a bit more fluent.

‘‘Craig is obviously looking to have a big year. He has started off very well. In his own mind he will be focused on giving it his best shot.’’
www.theherald.com.au/story/2402109/craig-goodwin-ready-to-weigh-in-for-jets-gallery/?cs=303

Looks like Goodwin to left back & carney to left wing. You would think that leaves Gallaway as a CB option but the fact we are still looking for more CB depth means Gallaway might just be heading for the youth league each week.

BodyNovo
08-07-2014, 08:49 AM
good to see him with that type of attitude to start the season, i can remember either last season or the one before, he said he would much prefer to play up the park and that was his preference, now it seems playing is the most important thing to him which is good.

big ups to stubs seems to be ticking boxes so far

pv4
08-07-2014, 08:50 AM
HFS. All hail Phil. This is easily the best quote a Jerks or Socceroos manager has said in a long, long time:

We want to have two players in every spot,’’ Stubbins said.

I honestly can't remember a Jerks coach saying something so rational.

Pretty sure GVE & militia just had a heart attack upon reading that gem.

BodyNovo
08-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Neville won't get injured again and pepper can cover right?

leftrightout
08-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Yep that is everything you want to hear from Goodwin. The kid has huge talent, with that attitude hopefully he can have a big year. If he can get back to his first season form and carney carries on in front of him we can have a very quality left side.
By the looks of it we are really building a quality squad, im actually starting to get excited about our chances of finishing higher than seventh!

I think just one more real 1st team high quality player (striker preferably) and the rest of signings to be squad players who can do a good job when called on and we will be looking good.

Grimario
08-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Neville won't get injured again and pepper can cover right?

And the right footed Gallaway... can he cover right back? And Beard? I think right back is the least of our worries in terms of depth. Centre back with 3 recognised, Gallaway and Kanta as gap fillers if needed?

BodyNovo
08-07-2014, 10:09 AM
And the right footed Gallaway... can he cover right back? And Beard? I think right back is the least of our worries in terms of depth. Centre back with 3 recognised, Gallaway and Kanta as gap fillers if needed?

was more or less taking a shot at previous regimes, but yeh we are sweet

Grimario
08-07-2014, 10:13 AM
was more or less taking a shot at previous regimes, but yeh we are sweet

Ahh. I need coffee. Missed that entirely :(

Are we going to keep hold of Beard and Biraz?

Premy
08-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Ahh. I need coffee. Missed that entirely :(

Are we going to keep hold of Beard and Biraz?

Seems likely from all reports.
Personally feel we need a established experience box to box type player that can control the middle of the park. Can't help but feel Valeri would of been just what we needed.
Not sure what options are out there but I think that's the vital position to fill and Nicky Ward isn't that player IMO.

pv4
08-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Personally feel we need a established experience box to box type player that can control the middle of the park. Can't help but feel Valeri would of been just what we needed.
Not sure what options are out there but I think that's the vital position to fill and Nicky Ward isn't that player IMO.

Should use our Aust Marquee on Bresc.

Premy
08-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Should use our Aust Marquee on Bresc.That would be amazeballs but we can't compete with City's money who supposedly want him and his contracted to Al-Gharafa until January.

leftrightout
08-07-2014, 10:33 AM
bresc isnt really a hard working box to box midfielder.
As much as id love him, bloke is a f*cking legend, we have flores in the position he would likely play.
Plus we cant compete with MC $$$$$$

BodyNovo
08-07-2014, 10:42 AM
wilkshire?

i would play him in a holding role.

GazFish35
08-07-2014, 11:19 AM
We aren't a "glamour" club or based in a capital city so we are never going to be able to attract big names, we have to get better at finding blokes who everyone's reaction to is "who the hell is that?" and then having them surprise everyone.

Look at our list of signings..... Go as far back in our ten years (ffa compliant version of history) and name any signing that wasn't either.....

Coming back from long term injury
Actually still injured
Young with un-proven potential
Some other A-league castaway
Already had history with us
A local
"Squad filler"
Past his prime.

I'm liking the fact punxatawney phil appears able to drag blokes from Vietnam, has the man management skills that see Flores want to link back up with him and gambles on loanees from equador..... Now I just want to see him giving locals a chance, even if it's getting a bunch of the best from NBN (outside of the current jets system) together and having them run against the squad in regular tactical/structural sessions.

leftrightout
08-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Now I just want to see him giving locals a chance, even if it's getting a bunch of the best from NBN (outside of the current jets system) together and having them run against the squad in regular tactical/structural sessions.

Theres the key word!

pv4
08-07-2014, 11:57 AM
We aren't a "glamour" club or based in a capital city so we are never going to be able to attract big names, we have to get better at finding blokes who everyone's reaction to is "who the hell is that?" and then having them surprise everyone.

Look at our list of signings..... Go as far back in our ten years (ffa compliant version of history) and name any signing that wasn't either.....

Coming back from long term injury
Actually still injured
Young with un-proven potential
Some other A-league castaway
Already had history with us
A local
"Squad filler"
Past his prime.

I'm liking the fact punxatawney phil appears able to drag blokes from Vietnam, has the man management skills that see Flores want to link back up with him and gambles on loanees from equador..... Now I just want to see him giving locals a chance, even if it's getting a bunch of the best from NBN (outside of the current jets system) together and having them run against the squad in regular tactical/structural sessions.

Tiago had German efficieny

leftrightout
08-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Tiago had German efficieny

.... he was absolutely horrible!

Premy
08-07-2014, 01:26 PM
I disagree... Yes we're not a "glamour club" but that doesn't mean we can't attract big name signings (in comparison to the A-League).
Newcastle is a very attractive place to live, we just need to be better in marketing our Club and City. Not everyone wants to live in the big smoke footballers are no exception to that, sure some will want the big city life of Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane but not all will. This is where we need to improve, do your research on targeted players and sell the lifestyle along with the football.

Completely hypothetical but what's to say in 2 years we approach Steven Gerrard a bloke that has a wife 3 young girls is a big family man and in football terms leads a pretty quite life. Where do you think a more attractive destination would be for someone like that, nice and relaxing life of Newcastle or the flashy lights and hustle and bustle of Sydney?

pv4
08-07-2014, 01:31 PM

u wot m8

BodyNovo
08-07-2014, 01:36 PM
u wot m8

:sparring:

Tommyjet
08-07-2014, 06:52 PM

This

pv4
08-07-2014, 06:57 PM
I cry evry tiem :'(

q-money
08-07-2014, 07:03 PM
give me one reason not to ban this bloke for sullying the great name of the one true god tiago

GazFish35
08-07-2014, 07:04 PM
I disagree... Yes we're not a "glamour club" but that doesn't mean we can't attract big name signings (in comparison to the A-League).
Newcastle is a very attractive place to live, we just need to be better in marketing our Club and City. Not everyone wants to live in the big smoke footballers are no exception to that, sure some will want the big city life of Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane but not all will. This is where we need to improve, do your research on targeted players and sell the lifestyle along with the football.

Completely hypothetical but what's to say in 2 years we approach Steven Gerrard a bloke that has a wife 3 young girls is a big family man and in football terms leads a pretty quite life. Where do you think a more attractive destination would be for someone like that, nice and relaxing life of Newcastle or the flashy lights and hustle and bustle of Sydney?

Fair point, well made.
Change my statement to "never have been able to, and management need a complete rethink if we ever are"

We've had Michael bridges trying to make this happen for how long?

Thomas477
08-07-2014, 07:37 PM
give me one reason not to ban this bloke for sullying the great name of the one true god tiago

There is none. Tiago was pure Newy. Even when he played for Sydney, he was still Newy.

pv4
08-07-2014, 07:43 PM

Unleash the ban hammer on both of them

leftrightout
08-07-2014, 09:47 PM
There is none. Tiago was pure Newy. Even when he played for Sydney, he was still Newy.

Haha I suppose you are right, when he played for Sydney he did his best work for newy!

MFKS
09-07-2014, 06:32 AM
Haha I suppose you are right, when he played for Sydney he did his best work for newy!

Who will forget the ADP first game when we killed them and Tiago milked an alleged injury. Ref made him go off and someone through a bottle of water at him.

Cool as **** he picked it up and took a swig.

So Newy

leftrightout
09-07-2014, 08:31 AM
Who will forget the ADP first game when we killed them and Tiago milked an alleged injury. Ref made him go off and someone through a bottle of water at him.

Cool as **** he picked it up and took a swig.

So Newy

Attitude - he was great
football ability -i just cant agree with the love.

A cool attitude doesnt get you into the top 6... griff does!

Grimario
15-07-2014, 10:56 AM
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2417309/new-jet-marcos-flores-easing-back-into-action/?cs=306

MARCOS Flores has never been more determined.

The Jets major addition in an off-season notable for its departures joined the main training group for the first time yesterday and is confident of being fit for the start of the A-League season.

The 28-year-old Argentinian playmaker and right back Scott Neville, who are at a similar stage in their recovery from a knee reconstruction, were eased into action.

They did the warm-up and a series of passing and possession drills before splitting from the group to complete the 75-minute workout.

"It was exciting to be back with the players," Flores said.

"I am getting closer to playing again.

"It was just bouncing the ball, doing the warm-up and passing drills. We have plenty of time to build towards 50-50s and challenges.

"I am moving pretty well.

"Of course, if you invited me to play 11 versus 11 in the park I would say I could go.

"But slowly, slowly. Maybe three or four weeks I will be ready to jump in.

"I am pretty confident that I will be ready for the first game."

Jets coach Phil Stubbins, though happy with the progress of Flores and Neville, insisted neither would be fast-tracked.

"The positive for me, looking at everything, is the smile on the face," Stubbins said.

"They are a little bit ahead in terms of the rehab. The medical staff need a pat on the back."

"There is no rush. We are going to bide our time and wait until everything is checked off."

Flores ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee at a training session with former club, the Central Coast Mariners, on January 2.

The Mariners brought in Seung-yong Kim as an injury replacement, and at season's end opted to retain the South Korean and release Flores.

The silky-skilled attacking midfielder had returned to Argentina before given an A-League lifeline by Stubbins, who was the assistant coach at Adelaide United in 2010-11 when Flores led the Reds to third place and won the Johnny Warren Medal.

"When the Mariners reject me, the only thing I had in my heart was the conviction to be back on the park," Flores said.

"I told the board of the Jets that I am really thankful, I am full of faith, I am going to give back to the board, to the club, and the fans all my best football.

"The last six months in the gym has made me stronger without a doubt.

"Never in my life did I do two sessions [a day] of gym.

"My body is changing in a good way. I feel stronger but I need matches.

"I can't wait for the new players to come, and like I said before, be available to train . . . tell the boys what I expect from them and they can tell me what they expect from me.

"I think we will play interesting football.

"We want to be really tough to beat and also try and bring some flair."

The Jets have not boasted a genuine playmaker since Nick Carle wore the No.10 shirt in the second season of the A-League (2006-07), winning the Johnny Warren Medal, and taking the Jets within a penalty shootout of a grand final.

It's a role and responsibility that Flores craves.

"I have always said to the strikers, if the game is nil-nil we have not created enough," he said.

"Every time I go to a stadium I want to create things.

"If we do not score goals, I am the first person to criticise myself.

"I just want to play my football.

"If I am healthy - God protect me to be healthy - plus adding the happiness I have now, adding that the coach knows me well and how to use me . . . the ingredients are there."

Flores's increased involvement yesterday helped raise his spirits after Argentina's 1-0 loss to Germany in the World Cup final.

"I yelled a lot at the TV and tried to push them from home," he said.

"I did it all game.

"But when the goal happened, to be honest, I did not yell.

"It was magnificent the way Goetze finished. Great touch, great assist, great set-up.

"Nothing to say but congratulations to Germany."

Flores is one of four new faces, along with former Socceroos defender Adrian Madaschi, Ecuadorean striker Edson Montano, teenager attacker Josh Barresi and Northern Ireland international Johnny Steele.

Steele agreed to terms on Sunday and is expected to arrive next week from the US, where he had been playing alongside Tim Cahill and Thiery Henry at New York Red Bulls.

Steele's signature followed the release on Friday of Josh Brillante to join Italian club Fiorentina.

"Johnny was always coming," Stubbins said.

"He is experienced, is a left-sided player and brings more competition and balance to the team.

"Depending on the formation we go into, he is someone who can play capably in a 4-4-3 wide on the left, or on the left in a diamond midfield."

Steele's inclusion leaves three places on the roster to fill.

Stubbins has pigeon-holed one for a holding midfielder.

Trialists Nick Ward and left stopper Sam Gallagher are also in contention.

Meanwhile, the Jets are poised to appoint former player Neil Young as the goalkeeper coach.

leftrightout
15-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Flores, love the bloke already, He seems to just genuinly love the game!
And no doubt he is going to hate the gypos for not signing him!

belchardo
15-07-2014, 11:15 AM
would be good to have young back, warm fuzzy feelings and all that.

Blackmac79
15-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Young. What a man.

MFKS
15-07-2014, 12:03 PM
75 minute session FFS

Suppose they only do 4 of those a week.

Any wonder why we are so shit at this game as a club and as a country with that attitude.

Wonder how long those blokes at Bayern Munich who form the core of the German WC side and a damn fine elite euro club train for each day??

Bet you it ain't 75 minute sessions

parksey
15-07-2014, 12:34 PM
all age teams do longer sessions

pv4
15-07-2014, 12:46 PM
all age teams do longer sessions

MFKFC and parksey - I think it's a 75minute session AFTER warmup and passing/possession drills. So realistically you'd imagine 5-15mins warmup, 10-30mins passing and stuff, it's getting more towards a 2 hour full session.

Not saying it would or should change your views on how "little" they do but just thought I'd attempt to put a real spin on that situation.

furns
15-07-2014, 01:05 PM
75 minute session FFS

Suppose they only do 4 of those a week.

Any wonder why we are so shit at this game as a club and as a country with that attitude.

Wonder how long those blokes at Bayern Munich who form the core of the German WC side and a damn fine elite euro club train for each day??

Bet you it ain't 75 minute sessionsI have asked this question, the main reason is due to the hardness of the pitches here in Aus - both at the playing and training venues. The euro pitches are much softer and hence easier on legs, knees, joints, ligaments etc enabling longer sessions for ballwork, technical drills, etc
It wont change until the clubs have their OWN training facilities tailor-made for football which is quite an expensive investment for clubs who are still making losses.
If the players were on similar training regimes to the european leagues, players would be breaking down even more regularly than they are now.

pv4
15-07-2014, 01:08 PM
So we should be getting a whole lot more training in when this Speers Point facility comes in then.

furns
15-07-2014, 01:11 PM
I dont know whether the Jets senior teams will be moving to that facility at this stage

BodyNovo
15-07-2014, 01:13 PM
its our playing pitch that is the problem.

MFKS
15-07-2014, 01:43 PM
I have asked this question, the main reason is due to the hardness of the pitches here in Aus - both at the playing and training venues. The euro pitches are much softer and hence easier on legs, knees, joints, ligaments etc enabling longer sessions for ballwork, technical drills, etc
It wont change until the clubs have their OWN training facilities tailor-made for football which is quite an expensive investment for clubs who are still making losses.
If the players were on similar training regimes to the european leagues, players would be breaking down even more regularly than they are now.

Just another example of how tossers with a sports science degree have no idea and no business in Australian football

If these idiots actually have a clue why at the World Cup were the Aussies out warming up 10 mins before our opponent and then still out there for another 10 mins after our opponent has retreated to the sheds

Established football countries like Spain Chile and Holland obviously know what they are doing. We are ****ing clueless if we are doing things so differently

joel31
15-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Dear Joel

With Memberships going on sale at midday tomorrow, here is 10 NEW reasons to become a proud 2014/15 Newcastle Jets Member.

1. 2014/15 Memberships at 2013/14 prices for renewing Members (purchase prior to August 31).

2. Ray Baartz Club exclusive benefits including a ticket to the Player of the Year Awards Night, signed merch and more.

3. Memberships for the whole family including Toddlers, Babies and Pets.

4. Your MyJETS Account. Log in to your new Member account to purchase Memberships, select seats, manage your email preferences and more.

5. New coach and new players.

6. New pitch at Hunter Stadium.

7. Opportunity to have a player deliver your Member pack to your door (purchase prior to September 12).

8. Member Kit includes an exclusive 10 year anniversary Member scarf.

9. Pre-purchase your jersey that is exclusive to Members only.

10. Be the first to receive important announcements by subscribing to Member First emails.

email from the jets

wonder what the member kit is. Its probably terrible

belchardo
15-07-2014, 09:09 PM
email from the jets

wonder what the member kit is. Its probably terrible

You forgot to blank out your name. We all know your name now.

joel31
15-07-2014, 09:11 PM
You forgot to blank out your name. We all know your name now.
I'm so scared i'll have to change it now

hawk
15-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Must be Brazilian, only one name. should sign up joel

GazFish35
15-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Just another example of how tossers with a sports science degree have no idea and no business in Australian football

If these idiots actually have a clue why at the World Cup were the Aussies out warming up 10 mins before our opponent and then still out there for another 10 mins after our opponent has retreated to the sheds

Established football countries like Spain Chile and Holland obviously know what they are doing. We are ****ing clueless if we are doing things so differently

Out of interest what's your background in sports science, injury prevention, treatment or sports coaching to be so unequivocally certain you are right?

the squads you are talking of had players coming off a much much longer season and would have been expecting to be managing are larger number of players seeing game time as each progressed deeper into the tournament.

perhaps their different approaches on game day are reflective of a different training/warm up/game/cool down/recovery plan based on the entirely different fatigue and fitness levels coming into the tournament, or their expectations of progressing through the group and deeper into the tournament.

Granted, football in Australia hasn't had the professional environment conducive to football specific sports medicine staff becoming world leaders in football specific sports medicine.

But I'd back the guys at the jets (who last year reduced the number of soft tissue injuries at the club dramatically - to the a-league's lowest) as a little more in tune with what's needed than your assessment based on watching a few games of the World Cup from the stands.

But hey, that's just me.

Pico
16-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Jets change their stripes for new shirt design
By JAMES GARDINER
July 16, 2014, 7 a.m

CHIEF executive Robbie Middleby is confident the Newcastle Jets' new home and away strips will prove popular with fans after they were unveiled yesterday.

Designed by new apparel supplier BLK, the home shirt is predominantly blue with thin red vertical stripes and a red panel on the back.

The cinnamon and emerald away kit, a throwback to KB United, remains, but the diagonal sash is now vertical.

The Jets have retained the predominantly blue shorts for home games and white for away fixtures.

Both shirts, which are expected to go on sale from September, have a Jets 10-year anniversary logo on the back.

"With a new sponsor coming on board in BLK, we wanted their input and also to freshen it up," Middleby said.

What do you think of the design? Tell us in the comments below.

Jets owner Nathan Tinkler's Castle Quarry Products replaces his Hunter Ports on the front of the jersey. CQP is a sandmining operation at Fullerton Cove and is a division of Buildev.

NIB has remained as sleeve sponsor.

Jets commercial manager Mark Duffield-Thomas said negotiations with Aurizon, last season's shorts sponsor, and other potential backers were continuing.

WesTrac has not renewed its sponsorship on the back of the playing shirt.

NIB, WesTrac and Aurizon had duel sponsorships with Hunter Sports Group when it owned the Jets and Knights.

Middleby said sponsorship and corporate sales were areas A-League clubs across the board were working hard to improve.

Jets memberships go on sale at noon today.

They start at $60 for a child and $120 for an adult, and Middleby was confident of increasing the 10,200 members from last season, despite the departure of marquee striker Emile Heskey.

"Membership prices are the same as last year and easily the most affordable in the A-League," Middleby said.

Meanwhile, Josh Brillante has passed a medical and is expected to complete his move to Italian club Fiorentina in the next two days.

In other squad news, former Young Socceroos defender Sam Gallagher, 23, is expected to be offered a contract as early as today.

www.theherald.com.au/story/2420152/jets-change-their-stripes-for-new-shirt-design/?cs=12#slide=1

Still don't like the red back panel, probably only worth picking one up when they eventually slash the prices.

Signing of Gallagher shows how much we rate our own youth team when we go signing players like that as fourth string CB's.

pv4
16-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Maybe, just maybe, we have signed Gallagher because plucking players from our youth team would deplete the youth team.

Still wish we had Josh Mitchell, I loved that guy.

I barely remember Gallagher at any of the HAL clubs he's played at so can't really make a judgement on him. Still young though.

MFKS
16-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Firstly I have no formal qualifications in sports science.I am though an expert on whatever subject that comes up

I am pretty certain though our opponents in the world cup were preparing as they normally would for a game and the length of their warm up had nothing to do with future world cup games or the previous Euro season.

Why it takes our country clubs etc that long too warm up is baffling. How much energy is wasted that could be better expended in the game???

Just as I find it baffling why in the HAL the Jets have a what 30-40. Minute warm up in summer temps

Surely energy in the hot sun is wasted that could be spent in the game

As for the sports science injury performance at the Jets last season few injuries is hardly anything to brag about

The fact that our players spend so much time at the beach in coffee shops at the cinema or banging Griffs left overs and not actually training may be why

It also might be the reason why we don't make the top 6

Maybe a little bit of hard work might see a few more injuries but it might actually see a competent side winning games for newy

pv4
16-07-2014, 09:05 AM
I am though an expert on whatever subject that comes up

I love you Member. Never change please.

plague
16-07-2014, 09:47 AM
I am though an expert on whatever subject that comes up

5 star post.
Well in.

lil_masi
16-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Still don't like the red back panel, probably only worth picking one up when they eventually slash the prices.

Signing of Gallagher shows how much we rate our own youth team when we go signing players like that as fourth string CB's.

Gallagher was originally an attacking LB, therefore I believe will be competing for the LB position. Can also be a backup for the left sided CB position.
We would now have 2 players competing for their suited position. Goody/Gallagher for LB and Steele/Carney further up the park. Therefore a better balance on the left.

Galloway would be backup RB behind Neville.

Solid signing I believe

MFKS
16-07-2014, 10:52 AM
I am gonna go out on a limb and say this Gallagher bloke is a shit signing

When Ange went to Victree he gave the bloke a go. Then Ange couldn't get rid of him quick enough

If Postecoglou don't rate the bloke then that's enough for me

borat
16-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Gallagher is the last squad position, min wage, and Stubbins clearly rates him. Good enough for me.

I don't see the rationale in signing our youth CB's unless they are at risk of being poached by other clubs. If they are in the youth team then Stubbins can select them for first team duties if he chooses.

WolfMan
16-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Still wish we had Josh Mitchell, I loved that guy.

You and me both. His wage must have been outside the realms of possibility as far as the club was concerned. Came into his own last season I thought

Bon
16-07-2014, 11:17 AM
You and me both. His wage must have been outside the realms of possibility as far as the club was concerned. Came into his own last season I thought

I agree with you both..

leftrightout
16-07-2014, 11:59 AM

Yeh we just have to hope Gallagher will do a similar job to mitchell (well 2nd half of last season mitchell) when called on but must be on less money.
Less money on back up defender means more money on 1st choice midfielder who we need to sign.
And as someone else said, sign this kid and keep youth players progressing. When time comes for someone to step up for a game or two, stubbins has multiple options, he can pick Gallagher or he can pick a youth player if they have impressed.

MFKS
16-07-2014, 01:00 PM
So when you need someone to step up for a game or two it's better to have some shit nobody on the books to give them a game like Joey Gibbs only to purge them in the off season than to give your yoof a go like Kale and see if they are up to it???

Maybe we need to start looking at the bigger picture of player development rather than continually neglecting the next generation by continuing to pick the same recycled never wases

After all that is what your yoof team is for. Get the coaches to develop the kids to the stage where they can play first team when the chance arises

pv4
16-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Member - Gallagher is 23 years old, and a former youth international. It may be too early to label him a recycled never was IMO.

Grimario
16-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Member - Gallagher is 23 years old, and a former youth international. It may be too early to label him a recycled never was IMO.

So were Payne, Ontong and Patafta...

leftrightout
16-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Can we at least give stubbins a chance?
Sure this signing might not be exactly what you would do yourself, but big phil has given every reason so far to believe in what he is doing. Instead of bagging him out and saying "here we go again" why can't we just give him a shot?

Also....
He has spoken about wanting 2 people for every position. What if, in his opinion, the left back from our youth team is just not up to standard yet? Do you still want to sign him and put him into the first team if someone is injured?

Rocknerd
16-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Sure this signing might not be exactly what you would do yourself, but big phil has given every reason so far to believe in what he is doing. Instead of bagging him out and saying "here we go again" why can't we just give him a shot?

Also....
He has spoken about wanting 2 people for every position. What if, in his opinion, the left back from our youth team is just not up to standard yet? Do you still want to sign him and put him into the first team if someone is injured?

This, I remember people laughing at Ange at Brisbane with his signings after clearing out all those well known names and performers, I'm not saying Stubbins is the next Van gall or even Ange, but come on, anything he does has to be better than anything GVE did.

pv4
16-07-2014, 01:32 PM
This, I remember people laughing at Ange at Brisbane with his signings after clearing out all those well known names and performers, I'm not saying Stubbins is the next Van gall or even Ange, but come on, anything he does has to be better than anything GVE did.

:lol: au revior dropping the infamous "I wouldn't even trust Ange to be a backroom staff in a local state league club. He belongs in Woolies packing shelves in my opinion"

Grimario
16-07-2014, 01:36 PM

Also....

No, you're missing the point of the forums.

Plus I am still wearing my work hat today since I am on here on company time and it is my job to dispute everything everyone puts forward (really is my job IRL, pretty much).

Carney Goodwin Gallaway Steele... isn't that enough cover for left back?

The bigger issue is more likely at centre back... and everyone that goes to youth games seems to think that Cowburn, a Young Socceroo, is more than good enough to be considered a 4th choice centre back. If the club are serious about their much lauded "we want the Jets to be a pathway for local footballers blah blah blah" rhetoric, why the hell are they not promoting from within? Kale scores a billion, Gibbs and Old Man Bridgey are preferred options. Cowburn makes rep teams, some bloke who has a disaster career to date and has ended up playing in the Vietnamese pub league gets brought in. THAT is my issue with it.

The ONLY info I can find about Gallagher in his previous HAL lifetime is "getting torn a new asshole by Ferreira" and "tackling Kresinger, denying goal and getting a red". Some HAL career that is to inspire a new club.

MFKS
16-07-2014, 02:03 PM

Also....

Being that I have been away from Gods country for nearly 7weeks now though Friday will see my glorious return my perspective is we are going nowhere

Just before I left we released a highly talented kid by the name of Connor Chapman. Kid will be a Socceroo when he gets his act together and we have replaced him with a nobody who struggled to make it in the HAL before being cut

Add in we have released two of our most talented players in Taggz and Beard to overseas clubs.

We have also released our captain and Caramels which may be good ideas to rejig the squad but seem rather retarded when you bring in what appears to be worse players to replace them

This Steele signing fills me with little confidence. The bloke has spent most of his time plying in minor level football in the US
I personally don't rate Flores despite the fan boy love. The bloke played half a dozen good games 4.5years ago and has since done little. Add in he is coming off a serious injury I think it is unlikely the bloke will be a star

The signing of the Ecuadorian is a bit of the unknown. His stats though don't make for inspiration but we will see

Despite all this the side Stubbins inherited was not good enough to make the 6 last year. This year we appear to be weaker minus heskey taggz beard and the replacements do not seem better

What I am seeing is not exactly filling me with any confidence That we will make it this coming season.

Basically Phil is gonna have to be a miracle worker to get us in the top 6 with his coaching.
Being we are doing 75minute training sessions I struggle to see the optimism

Thomas477
16-07-2014, 07:58 PM
So when you need someone to step up for a game or two it's better to have some shit nobody on the books to give them a game like Joey Gibbs only to purge them in the off season than to give your yoof a go like Kale and see if they are up to it???

Maybe we need to start looking at the bigger picture of player development rather than continually neglecting the next generation by continuing to pick the same recycled never wases

After all that is what your yoof team is for. Get the coaches to develop the kids to the stage where they can play first team when the chance arises

I'm agreeing with the member here. Why pump any money into a youth squad if you're just going to continually ignore any promising players there. In fact, why sign anyone to the youth squad if you don't think they could make the first grade squad? On pure economics alone, it's a bad investment.

judge
16-07-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm agreeing with the member here. Why pump any money into a youth squad if you're just going to continually ignore any promising players there. In fact, why sign anyone to the youth squad if you don't think they could make the first grade squad? On pure economics alone, it's a bad investment.
Bottom line here is Stubbins has the players he wants, so after they're given time to settle in. He has no excuses, if they don't perform, its on his head. No b.s. like the egghead, who brought in all the players he wanted, then after 3 years of shit results, said they couldn't play the way he wanted them too. All the time being backed by the management. So lets give Stubbins time get the players to gel (lets say half time in the 1st trial), before all the doom and gloom.

Thomas477
17-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Bottom line here is Stubbins has the players he wants, so after they're given time to settle in. He has no excuses, if they don't perform, its on his head. No b.s. like the egghead, who brought in all the players he wanted, then after 3 years of shit results, said they couldn't play the way he wanted them too. All the time being backed by the management. So lets give Stubbins time get the players to gel (lets say half time in the 1st trial), before all the doom and gloom.

This has nothing to do with Stubbins, it's a club culture thing, longer than just GvE, or even Middleby. We have in the past continually signed aleague journeymen or other clubs unwanted players, rather than promote our own youngsters. I recognise that Chilli, Pepper, Hoole, Regz and Galloway have come from there, but it's the signing of players like Gibbs especially, when we could have promoted Bradbury (for example) who would have been both a local junior and not a coastie, plus wouldn't have cost us as much. We may not have an as good CB in the youth as whoever we're looking at, but surely the question should be asked, "Why aren't we producing as many players to supplement the first grade team as required?"

My point is why have a youth team if you're just going to ignore any players with potential and just sign journeymen to fill in the backup roles? I know that it's FFA mandated, but just seems like a waste. The youth team should be supplying these backup players, and if they're not, why not?

17-07-2014, 12:04 AM

Too true, at any other club with the results we were getting KB would have got some minutes in the top grade.

Only at the Jets would that type of shit judgement have gone on.

hausmann
17-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Too true, at any other club with the results we were getting KB would have got some minutes in the top grade.

Only at the Jets would that type of shit judgement have gone on.

But its an FFA mandate that they have a youth team. So they couldn't get rid of it even if they wanted to.

leftrightout
17-07-2014, 12:23 PM
I recognise that Chilli, Pepper, Hoole, Regz and Galloway have come from there

These are mostly the blokes that get bagged out in here and said to be not good enough.
So you want players signed from the youth team and yet the ones we have in the past have all but failed and no one wants here?

Grimario
17-07-2014, 01:10 PM
These are mostly the blokes that get bagged out in here and said to be not good enough.
So you want players signed from the youth team and yet the ones we have in the past have all but failed and no one wants here?

Regz and Hoole are great. Gallaway is adequate but makes you sad when you look at some other DL's in the comp. Pepper, kind of likewise... good local squad option to have. Virgili is the least impressive of them all IMO, he has one or two good games a year.

But you are missing the point still... no one is saying that any youth player should be lining up as first choice just that, as far as 4th or 5th choices go, why would you NOT want them to be the one that gets the nod instead of the old has been or the gypo scum?

leftrightout
17-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Regz and Hoole are great. Gallaway is adequate but makes you sad when you look at some other DL's in the comp. Pepper, kind of likewise... good local squad option to have. Virgili is the least impressive of them all IMO, he has one or two good games a year.

But you are missing the point still... no one is saying that any youth player should be lining up as first choice just that, as far as 4th or 5th choices go, why would you NOT want them to be the one that gets the nod instead of the old has been or the gypo scum?

I do agree with you, i dont want a dean heffernan or jamie coyne over local youth.
But what i was saying is everyone seems to like the idea of promoting the youth squad but when it comes time for results, we have payed money to watch them play and when they dont play well everyone is happy to call them shit and complain that we cant release the deadwood but other clubs can!
If you take a vote of which 2 or 3 players would you like to get rid of from the club, i bet majority of votes would go to players who have come through our youth team.

Grimario
17-07-2014, 01:53 PM
When we aren't getting results, it has had NOTHING to do with most of the players you mention though. They've been largely squad players, adding a bit of depth, not the first team regulars who have had holes punched in them by everyone (me included) at times. The real fault over the past 2 years has been shit structure from GVE or bad tactical awareness from Clacka... and if part of that means a right footed left back (Gallaway) getting yelled at for being out horrifically of position or a decentish young midfielder thrust into a starting spot at right back (Pepper), that fault should only be partially the players.

Premy
17-07-2014, 03:06 PM
If you take a vote of which 2 or 3 players would you like to get rid of from the club,Oxborrow, Cooper & Solari

Pico
17-07-2014, 04:37 PM
If you take a vote of which 2 or 3 players would you like to get rid of from the club, i bet majority of votes would go to players who have come through our youth team.

Prior to this off season.
1.Zads
2.Roundabout
3.Heskey (After signing griff, prior to losing taggs)

Present

1.Gallagher (Hope he never gets a chance to prove me wrong)
2.Gallaway
3.Virgilli/goodwin

lil_masi
17-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Prior to this off season.
1.Zads
2.Roundabout
3.Heskey (After signing griff, prior to losing taggs)

Present

1.Gallagher (Hope he never gets a chance to prove me wrong)
2.Gallaway
3.Virgilli/goodwin

1.Virgilli
2.Galloway
3.Pepper
4.Ox

joel31
17-07-2014, 05:17 PM
we shouldn't sign squaddies. we should sign players who improve our squad who are better than those we have or replace those key ones that less. Otherwise bring through youth who don't need to fit in, already know the club and backroom staff and allow better development for the players of the region

Grimario
17-07-2014, 05:47 PM
2.Gallaway
3.Virgilli/goodwin

1.Virgilli
2.Gallaway
3.Pepper
4.Ox
I don't think Gallaway is starting standard as a left back... maybe if he was on the side where crossing with his preferred foot was easier, he might be less awful going forward. I think he is pretty good when defending and playing in a system that suits his abilities... and I would keep him. Might turn out that crossing from the other side turns him into the leagues best attacking fullback (:lulz:). Okay, maybe not.

If we are talking about booting people out, you have to factor in who would replace them as well. Given that Virgili is local, likely not on massive coin and seems content being nothing more than a squad player used as an impact sub, why would you get rid of him? He is the exact kind of player that the club should be using for depth for a few seasons... kind of like keeping KB around or using Cowburn as 4th choice CB. I also don't get the Goodwin hate... in his two seasons here, he has shown more end product than Virgili in his 4 years. Maybe under a coach who isn't a complete dick, he might be back on the fringe of the Socceroos and off to Reading in the summer.

I am not sure what Oxborrow offers apart from a giraffe like neck and monstrous Adams Apple.

Mark325
17-07-2014, 05:55 PM
If you take a vote of which 2 or 3 players would you like to get rid of from the club

Cooper, Gallagher and Oxborrow

As said above, no reason to get rid of players when the reason the reason they haven't been performing is due to them playing out of position. Gallaway and Pepper could actually be worthwhile players if they were playing in their preferred position.

Both Virgili and Goodwin's biggest flaw is consistency. Both have shown on good days they can be quality players, they just can't keep it up on a game-to-game basis. Once they sort that out Goowin could go back to being labeled as a future socceroo and potentially go off to Reading and Virgili could go back to potentially going over to Celtic.

Pico
17-07-2014, 07:43 PM
I don't think Gallaway is starting standard as a left back... maybe if he was on the side where crossing with his preferred foot was easier, he might be less awful going forward. I think he is pretty good when defending and playing in a system that suits his abilities... and I would keep him. Might turn out that crossing from the other side turns him into the leagues best attacking fullback (:lulz:). Okay, maybe not.

If we are talking about booting people out, you have to factor in who would replace them as well. Given that Virgili is local, likely not on massive coin and seems content being nothing more than a squad player used as an impact sub, why would you get rid of him? He is the exact kind of player that the club should be using for depth for a few seasons... kind of like keeping KB around or using Cowburn as 4th choice CB. I also don't get the Goodwin hate... in his two seasons here, he has shown more end product than Virgili in his 4 years. Maybe under a coach who isn't a complete dick, he might be back on the fringe of the Socceroos and off to Reading in the summer.

I am not sure what Oxborrow offers apart from a giraffe like neck and monstrous Adams Apple.

Virgilli - don't see the potential he's fast but so very frustrating when its time to do something, would much rather KB getting a 1 year contract over extending his.
Goodwin - haven't been impressed by his attitude, nor his output, also concerned that we gave him a 2 year extension based on his output. Hope to be proven wrong this season, but I don't think he'll be a starting player and if that happens I don't think he'll respond well to that, time will tell I do hope I'm wrong though.

The Dunster
17-07-2014, 08:57 PM
I think Gallaway and Goodwin are A-league standard. The problem is fitting them into a team that also contains Carney.

Gallaway is superior defensively to Goodwin, and Goodwin is well ahead of Gallaway when it comes to scoring or creating chances.

Goodwin, is not going to be chosen ahead of Carney as a left sided midfielder and it would be foolish to play him as a left back when Gallaway is a better defender.

Unfortunately for Goodwin, he either has to become a more defensive type player and spend less time developing his attacking game, or he can try and progress his attacking style with very little if any game time.

I like Goodwin and wouldn't like to see him go but for his career a move to where he gets more game time in his preferred position might be what's best for him. [Assuming he prefers to play a more attacking role]

I don't think Gallaway has the potential to be as good as Goodwin but as a dependable no frills left back he's already proven - regardless of what many say.

joel31
17-07-2014, 09:09 PM
I think Gallaway and Goodwin are A-league standard. The problem is fitting them into a team that also contains Carney.

Gallaway is superior defensively to Goodwin, and Goodwin is well ahead of Gallaway when it comes to scoring or creating chances.

Goodwin, is not going to be chosen ahead of Carney as a left sided midfielder and it would be foolish to play him as a left back when Gallaway is a better defender.

Unfortunately for Goodwin, he either has to become a more defensive type player and spend less time developing his attacking game, or he can try and progress his attacking style with very little if any game time.

I like Goodwin and wouldn't like to see him go but for his career a move to where he gets more game time in his preferred position might be what's best for him. [Assuming he prefers to play a more attacking role]

I don't think Gallaway has the potential to be as good as Goodwin but as a dependable no frills left back he's already proven - regardless of what many say.
what do u see in Gallaway. He is slow, gets caught out of position, can't mark, can't cross. His only strengths are his workrate and tackling

Mark325
17-07-2014, 09:50 PM
what do u see in Gallaway. He is slow, gets caught out of position, can't mark, can't cross. His only strengths are his workrate and tackling

I would hope that being on his preferred side would improve his crossing. I also think with a good coach backing him he shouldn't have as big of a problem in terms of positioning and marking players. He is also only 22, so there is time for him to work on these mistakes and become a solid player that is probably pretty cheap

Tommyjet
17-07-2014, 09:52 PM

Galloway is many negative things as a footballer but he isn't slow. He would be up there with the quickest in the club, if not the quickest

GazFish35
17-07-2014, 10:01 PM
Gallaway isnt slow.
Per mertesaker is slow.

17-07-2014, 10:30 PM
See nothing in Gallaway and should be sent home on the first bus back to Coffs.

hawk
17-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Gallaway isnt slow.
Per mertesaker is slow.

somehow this log has a WC medal. i cant believe this. (good topic, which dud players have a one of these)

GazFish35
17-07-2014, 11:18 PM
somehow this log has a WC medal. i cant believe this. (good topic, which dud players have a one of these)

Oh, he's no dud.
Great positional play (unless playing a high line) and timing of tackles is impeccable.
Just very slow, would beat a mark truck over 30 yards from a standing start.

Frodo
18-07-2014, 08:02 AM
I'd love to see the stats of which side leaked the most goals last year. I reckon it would be the right side by a mile. I think the main problem for Gallaway is that he plays football at a time when the internet is full of angry people with nothing better to do. He isn't anywhere near the worst defender in the A league.
I love when someone posts that he is slow and then the next bloke says that his only redeeming factor is his speed. He is a better defender than the other young players on our team, unfortunately he doesn't offer much in assists because his crosses aren't on target and he lacks the ability to beat a player one-on-one.. He has plenty of stamina, enough speed, can stand a player up when needed and with a solid back four and defensive mid will be more than good enough to fill a spot that i don't think Carney or Goodwin will be able to fill. Neither track back and aren't great one-on-one defenders.

Preparing for the angerz!

Grimario
18-07-2014, 08:40 AM
I still maintain that gallaway would be a serviceable right back given that is supposedly his preferred peg. I don't see how he is slow at all, I can think of plenty of times he has made great ground to catch wingers or has made bursting attacking runs only to whip it out for a goal kick.

leftrightout
18-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Gallaway is the perfect back up wide defender. He does a decent job for not alot of money.
He doesnt offer that go forward as much but if he had everything that people complain about he wouldnt be a back up on a low wage.
He can come in for a week or two here and there and do the job required. He should not be relied on to do the job for a full season though

Grimario
18-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Gallaway is the perfect back up wide defender. He does a decent job for not alot of money.
He doesnt offer that go forward as much but if he had everything that people complain about he wouldnt be a back up on a low wage.
He can come in for a week or two here and there and do the job required. He should not be relied on to do the job for a full season though

I think that might be the problem though... he is expected to be the starting left back and looking at our recruitment, we haven't gone out and picked up anyone that can fulfill that role.

Unless Carney or Goodwin is pushed back there, Gallaway appears to be our first choice left back.

Jeterpool
18-07-2014, 09:01 AM
I'd love to see the stats of which side leaked the most goals last year. I reckon it would be the right side by a mile. I think the main problem for Gallaway is that he plays football at a time when the internet is full of angry people with nothing better to do. He isn't anywhere near the worst defender in the A league.
I love when someone posts that he is slow and then the next bloke says that his only redeeming factor is his speed. He is a better defender than the other young players on our team, unfortunately he doesn't offer much in assists because his crosses aren't on target and he lacks the ability to beat a player one-on-one.. He has plenty of stamina, enough speed, can stand a player up when needed and with a solid back four and defensive mid will be more than good enough to fill a spot that i don't think Carney or Goodwin will be able to fill. Neither track back and aren't great one-on-one defenders.

Haven't got that info but I'll record it this year.

Maybe I'll find some time to ahve a look.

The Dunster
18-07-2014, 09:41 AM

I see a professional footballer that has played more A-league games than the combined total of everyone else in this thread.

You simply don't get as much game time as he has unless you are of an acceptable level.

Unfortunately, there is probably more hate for Jets players on this forum than there would be on the Mariners forum.

It must be difficult for players to have to endure this sort of shit from there own fans - especially during games.

hausmann
18-07-2014, 11:01 AM
I see a professional footballer that has played more A-league games than the combined total of everyone else in this thread.

You simply don't get as much game time as he has unless you are of an acceptable level.

Unfortunately, there is probably more hate for Jets players on this forum than there would be on the Mariners forum.

It must be difficult for players to have to endure this sort of shit from there own fans - especially during games.

Well it's good motivation to improve isn't it. Maybe working twice as hard on the skills you need is the answer.

Remember the shit that got pilled on Scott Neville. At the beginning of last year he came out on fire. People changed their tune pretty quickly. Neville said he worked really hard to start the season well. He deserves recognition for that.

So what does this tell us? That people shouldn't criticise? Or that they are just pointing out obvious flaws that need to be fixed in some way?

The Jets crowd is pretty football savvy. It's a two edged sword.

pv4
18-07-2014, 11:06 AM
WRT Gallaway:

He's defensively solid. I don't see him being slow like Joel said - he's actually quite athletic, I'd guess one of our fitter players. I also have a fair amount of faith in his ability to win defensive headers and generally defending.

His downfalls are his positioning and his ability on the ball and just generally going forward.

He's a great backup to have IMO, but when he starts I cringe.

Bon
18-07-2014, 11:14 AM
WRT Gallaway:

He's defensively solid. I don't see him being slow like Joel said - he's actually quite athletic, I'd guess one of our fitter players. I also have a fair amount of faith in his ability to win defensive headers and generally defending.

His downfalls are his positioning and his ability on the ball and just generally going forward.

He's a great backup to have IMO, but when he starts I cringe.

Yeah, this sums up my views on him too..
Particularly the positioning. Way too many times have I been screaming at the TV or frothing on the hill when I see a replay of the opposition scoring and Gallaway nowhere near his man..

lil_masi
18-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Yeah, this sums up my views on him too..
Particularly the positioning. Way too many times have I been screaming at the TV or frothing on the hill when I see a replay of the opposition scoring and Gallaway nowhere near his man..

Isnt that one of the keys for a defender, positioning?

Bon
18-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Isnt that one of the keys for a defender, positioning?

Hahahah definitely..

I was agreeing with what pv4 was saying though, that I see him as a handy backup.

WolfMan
18-07-2014, 12:13 PM

Me agree for the most part. Just look at how Birraz went from the messiah to a very naughty boy in the eyes of many. We don't let status and ceremony affect our summation of form and performance - with the glaring exception of the ridiculous vitriol RE: BK

parksey
18-07-2014, 12:16 PM

everyone on here needs (at least) one whipping boy. gallaway had an embarrassing debut 4 years ago and people can't let it go.

sure he's not going to propel us to higher heights but he's been far from our worse player and is a very handy guy to have in the squad.

pv4
18-07-2014, 12:21 PM
everyone on here needs (at least) one whipping boy.

Who is your whipping boy, parksey?

q-money
18-07-2014, 12:22 PM
yo haussman is this the same jets crowd that wildly cheered michael bridges every time he got on the field?

Bon
18-07-2014, 12:23 PM

Usually au_revoir at the Tenzo..

BodyNovo
18-07-2014, 12:26 PM

david warner

Blackmac79
18-07-2014, 12:26 PM
I hate Joel.

chianese

The Dunster
18-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Well it's good motivation to improve isn't it. Maybe working twice as hard on the skills you need is the answer.

Remember the shit that got pilled on Scott Neville. At the beginning of last year he came out on fire. People changed their tune pretty quickly. Neville said he worked really hard to start the season well. He deserves recognition for that.

So what does this tell us? That people shouldn't criticise? Or that they are just pointing out obvious flaws that need to be fixed in some way?

So basically sack the coaching staff and fill the stadiums with people that have never played any sport professionally randomly yelling abuse at players.

It's working a treat for Sydney FC no doubt.

parksey
18-07-2014, 12:38 PM

ljubo

hausmann
18-07-2014, 02:18 PM
yo haussman is this the same jets crowd that wildly cheered michael bridges every time he got on the field?

Before writing them off, its interesting to think about why they were cheering.

I believe its because he showed some of the qualities that you want in a player - desire to succeed, willing to be creative in the front third, good spokesperson for the club. Sure, he failed to deliver the goods except for the final shot in his career but I think they were happy that he tried to show those attributes when the rest of the team was playing some pretty ordinary football. It's all relative, would they have cheered for him as much if the rest of the team were on fire? Probably not. It was out of hope more than anything.

Just because the fans in the crowd want to see these attributes on the field doesn't make them stupid. In fact, it might actually give the coaches an indication of what type of football people like to watch.

Bon
18-07-2014, 02:25 PM

I believe its because he showed some of the qualities that you want in a player - desire to succeed, willing to be creative in the front third, good spokesperson for the club. Sure, he failed to deliver the goods except for the final shot in his career but I think they were happy that he tried to show those attributes when the rest of the team was playing some pretty ordinary football. It's all relative, would they have cheered for him as much if the rest of the team were on fire? Probably not. It was out of hope more than anything.

Just because the fans in the crowd want to see these attributes on the field doesn't make them stupid. In fact, it might actually give the coaches an indication of what type of football people like to watch.

I'm sorry hausmann, but there is too much commen sense in this..
Please desist from any more..

scarfy96
18-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Great post hausmann

hausmann
18-07-2014, 02:38 PM
So basically sack the coaching staff and fill the stadiums with people that have never played any sport professionally randomly yelling abuse at players.

It's working a treat for Sydney FC no doubt.

No, not yelling abuse directly at players, more the common groan when he loses possession or general opinion that he is not up to it.

It's called common sense. The opinions of ordinary people aren't necessarily wrong, that's why they construct juries with 12 ordinary people in matters that are as serious as life and death. And yes, a team has to be guided by a professional coach, but ordinary people can give voice when they think the professional coach is making the wrong decisions. It would be highly arrogant to ignore such data or to suggest that the crowd is misguided just because they have never played professional sports. Some of these people have been watching professional sport for most of their lives and may have picked up a thing or two.

"Listen to the fans and you'll be sitting with them in the stands" is one of the more arrogant things a coach could say.

Jeterpool
18-07-2014, 02:55 PM

I'm sorry hausmann, but there is too much commen sense in this..
Please desist from any more..

Agree - such a post has not place on this forum

The Postman
20-07-2014, 07:42 AM
So that fringe Socceroos CM playing overseas at the moment that could be on his way to the Jets - Erik Paartalu.

As per the great Barry Toohey in today's Tele.

Jeterpool
20-07-2014, 07:49 AM
So that fringe Socceroos CM playing overseas at the moment that could be on his way to the Jets - Erik Paartalu.

Really!?? Find there's a signing if it's true.

What's Toohey's form been like lately?

Tommyjet
20-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Would happily take the big portaloo

Premy
20-07-2014, 09:28 AM

Git a link?

MFKS
20-07-2014, 09:45 AM

That bloke really hates Gypos

Sign him up FFS

Jetmaster
20-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Would be conflict with Griff over the hairdryer though.....

Will be number one club for chix if this gets through.

Don't know what everyone else thinks, but it looks like HSG/Tinks is spending some money to greatly improve the worth of this club. He may not sell until the next off season, depending on how we perform.

plague
20-07-2014, 12:31 PM
What's Toohey's form been like lately?

Pretty freaking accurate actually.
Hope he's right again.
Imagine having Griff and Erik on the same team. 2 players who scored goals to beat the Gypos in grand finals.

Jeterpool
20-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Pretty freaking accurate actually.
Hope he's right again.
Imagine having Griff and Erik on the same team. 2 players who scored goals to beat the Gypos in grand finals.

This

hausmann
20-07-2014, 02:47 PM

How awesome is Kew looking in this photo. Looks like he is getting ready to strike down the Coasties with great vengeance and furious anger.

Jeterpool
20-07-2014, 03:23 PM
I'm genuinely excited for this season. Even without Paartalu there is still reason to be confident.

MFKS
20-07-2014, 03:25 PM
I'm genuinely excited for this season. Even without Paartalu there is still reason to be confident.

Here the same thing every off season

Come December we should revisit this

Jeterpool
20-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Here the same thing every off season

Come December we should revisit this

That's very true.

I still remember some young blokes on a podcast picking us as the dark horses last season and thinking we were going to pick up the premiership.

The Dunster
20-07-2014, 04:33 PM
We have lost the golden boot winner from last season and a work horse defender / midfielder deemed good enough to play in Serie-A. Add to that the loss of a former England International with many years of EPL experience and the likelihood of flappy hands back in goals.

Top six at best. Most likely seventh or worse.

I'll still support them though no matter where I think we will finish.

Jetmaster
20-07-2014, 05:04 PM
We have lost the golden boot winner from last season and a work horse defender / midfielder deemed good enough to play in Serie-A. Add to that the loss of a former England International with many years of EPL experience and the likelihood of flappy hands back in goals.

http://www.banklawyersblog.com/.a/6a00d8341c652b53ef017616adb883970c-800wi

Mark325
20-07-2014, 05:12 PM

No one can honestly say losing Heskey is going to be the deciding factor in us making the top 6 this season.
Sure, we lost the golden boot winner, and replaced him with a guy who also scored 9 goals last season while being played mostly as an impact sub, as well as having Griff, a previous golden boot winner.
The positions Brillante played are covered and covered quite well, Neville was quality prior to his injury last season, Hoole is socceroo bound in my opinion and Kanta is the same, both with major futures ahead of them. Those three cover all potential areas that Brillante would play, and add in a potential Erik Paartalu and I'd say we're covered.
Finally, I can't recall anyone complaining about Birraz prior to the Coastie **** up, many people were saying he was overlooked by a lot of people when it came to the best keeper in the league. The guy ****ed up, it happens, let it go.
I'm not saying that I'm happy we lost these players, but at the same time I don't think you can look at losing these players as the reason we won't perform well this season.

hawk
20-07-2014, 05:17 PM
No one can honestly say losing Heskey is going to be the deciding factor in us making the top 6 this season.
Sure, we lost the golden boot winner, and replaced him with a guy who also scored 9 goals last season while being played mostly as an impact sub, as well as having Griff, a previous golden boot winner.
The positions Brillante played are covered and covered quite well, Neville was quality prior to his injury last season, Hoole is socceroo bound in my opinion and Kanta is the same, both with major futures ahead of them. Those three cover all potential areas that Brillante would play, and add in a potential Erik Paartalu and I'd say we're covered.
Finally, I can't recall anyone complaining about Birraz prior to the Coastie **** up, many people were saying he was overlooked by a lot of people when it came to the best keeper in the league. The guy ****ed up, it happens, let it go.
I'm not saying that I'm happy we lost these players, but at the same time I don't think you can look at losing these players as the reason we won't perform well this season.

yep. we're stronger but so are a few others

Tommyjet
20-07-2014, 05:38 PM
I think madaschi gonna have a major say in where we end up this season. If we get paartalu and have kanta there too we will be well covered in the middle of the park but if madaschi doesn't have that imposing season he is capable of, there will be a lot of pressure on the ageing legs of kew and the solid but inconsistent regs. Madaschi was great for heart in 10 games or so and I hope we can get that same impact for most of this season if not the whole of it. Personally I'm not worried about the front third, I think we have enough quality there, but I want to see a very solid defensive unit like the one led by Ljubo and toppers a few years back.

joel31
20-07-2014, 06:48 PM

but we also lost a coach without any tactical awareness, so he can learn from someone better

MFKS
20-07-2014, 06:52 PM
but we also lost a coach without any tactical awareness, so he can learn from someone better

Add in the big bonus of the lack of Craig Deans influence.

That is a huge positive for us

halo se7en
20-07-2014, 06:53 PM

Taggart doing the same thing a second season wasn't a sure thing. Second season syndrome and all that.

* Geronimo > Heskey
* Madaschi > Mitchell and/or Chapman
* Flores > Brown
* We don't have GVE
* Steele may or may not be better than either Zads/Caravella. My guess is he will be.
* Montano is a complete unknown - we may have a complete flop, we may have a GB contender...
* Griffiths & Carney have had a full pre-season and while I realise they're both a year older which isn't a + for the over 30's, surely we'll see more out of them this season than last.
* We don't have GVE
* Stubbins seems to actually have a clue
* I like Brillante but to say we've lost a midfielder deemed good enough to play in the Serie A doesn't mean shit when his performances for us last year made no impact on reaching the top 6. He *might have been more effective this season but it's not a loss because it never was.

That's not even accounting for Paartalu, who would wipe out the losses of both Caravella and Zadkovich combined in a heartbeat.

My guess is 4th place.

furns
20-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Taggart doing the same thing a second season wasn't a sure thing. Second season syndrome and all that.

* Geronimo > Heskey
* Flores > Brown
* We don't have GVE
* Steele may or may not be better than either Zads/Caravella. My guess is he will be.
* Montano is a complete unknown - we may have a complete flop, we may have a GB contender...
* Griffiths & Carney have had a full pre-season and while I realise they're both a year older which isn't a + for the over 30's, surely we'll see more out of them this season than last.
* We don't have GVE
* I like Brillante but to say we've lost a midfielder deemed good enough to play in the Serie A doesn't mean shit when his performances for us last year made no impact on reaching the top 6. He *might have been more effective this season but it's not a loss because it never was.

That's not even accounting for Paartalu, who would wipe out the losses of both Caravella and Zadkovich combined in a heartbeat.

My guess is 4th place.#foreversixth

joel31
20-07-2014, 07:05 PM
#foreversixth

shouldn't it be #foreverseventh

Blackmac79
20-07-2014, 07:50 PM
#wearejustlikeeverton

joel31
20-07-2014, 07:57 PM
#wearejustlikeeverton
hopefully stubbins is our Roberto martinez

GazFish35
20-07-2014, 08:06 PM

* Geronimo > Heskey
* Flores > Brown
* We don't have GVE
* We don't have GVE

My guess is 4th place.

You failed to mention GVE leaving enough times.

q-money
20-07-2014, 08:13 PM
if big phil can just do the ****ing gypos over first round I don't give a toss what he does after that

redwah
20-07-2014, 09:15 PM

How awesome is Kew looking in this photo. Looks like he is getting ready to strike down the Coasties with great vengeance and furious anger.

Sat next to the guys at the footy show on Thursday night. Watched them, especially Flores, practice the "that's gold" for about 20 min after the chief showed the crowd the proper technique.

Good on the jets boys.

MFKS
20-07-2014, 09:32 PM
if big phil can just do the ****ing gypos over first round I don't give a toss what he does after that

It's all about Round 1.

WE WIN

Big Phil can lose the next 26 games for all i care

leftrightout
21-07-2014, 08:10 AM
It's all about Round 1.

WE WIN

Big Phil can lose the next 26 games for all i care

So if he wins 1 against the gypos but loses the next 2 against them, you will be happy?
Thats the stupidest thing i have heard on the foz for a while!

WolfMan
21-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Neil Young officially our new GK coach

BodyNovo
21-07-2014, 11:44 AM
one of the nicest guys ever to pull the shirt on

good to see him back

done a decent job with vukobitch, so hopefully he continues his good work with bk and biraz

joel31
21-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Nice to see him back.

Still remember the night he got smashed by Shane Smeltz, back when James Brown was good

hawk
21-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Nice to see him back.

Still remember the night he got smashed by Shane Smeltz, back when James Brown was good

not forgiven

21-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Nice to see him back.

When James Brown was good, you have a better memory than me.

Pico
22-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Jets goalie coach Neil Young back for keeps
By JAMES GARDINER
July 21, 2014, 9:30 p.m.

http://transform.fairfaxregional.com.au/transform/v1/crop/frm/storypad-3ZMaZUzN3dKuM6vrzTJmtN/17c48b29-fb29-48f9-9a32-6386468e06a2.jpg/r0_3_1200_678_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NEIL Young broke into the A-League as a player at the Newcastle Jets. Now the Perth-born gloveman has returned determined to establish himself as a coach.

Young conducted his first session as the Jets’ goalkeeper coach yesterday. He replaces Bob Catlin, who along with Craig Deans was released at the end of last season.

‘‘To come back here and work with goalkeepers the calibre of Mark Birighitti and Ben Kennedy is a great opportunity,’’ Young said.

http://transform.fairfaxregional.com.au/transform/v1/crop/frm/storypad-3ZMaZUzN3dKuM6vrzTJmtN/c0f17894-30bb-4909-be58-6431c74d3b96.jpg/r0_3_1200_678_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

‘‘Newcastle is a second home for me, and to work with a team which gave me my first opportunity ... I just want to do the club proud.

‘‘Biris and BK are two strong keepers. If you look around the league, we probably have the strongest No.2, if we have a No.2. They are both No.1 in my eyes.’’

Young, 34, spent two seasons at the Jets from 2009-10 after trialling successfully for a contract.

He made his A-League debut in round 14 of his maiden campaign and played nine consecutive games before being collected in the face by the boot of then Gold Coast striker Shane Smeltz.

Young sustained a broken nose that required surgery, then suffered an adverse reaction to antibiotics that left him fighting for his life.

He made it back on the field a year later for the Jets youth team.

At the end of that season, he was approached by Perth and moved home.

But his body struggled with the daily grind of training, and he made the decision to move into coaching.

Young had two years on the Glory coaching staff but was let go at the end of last season.

‘‘As a coach, I try to incorporate into training what I used to enjoy as player,’’ he said.

‘‘I have taken a bit from every coach I have had all the way through.

‘‘Jonathan Gould, who is now at Wellington, was a big influence.

‘‘I also put my stamp on things. I like to do things a certain way, and I think it works.

‘‘The town of Newcastle wants people who work hard and play for the shirt.

‘‘That’s what I said to them this morning. Give me work ethic and the rest will come with it.’’

Birighitti was in the preliminary Socceroos squad for the World Cup and was poised to join Bayer Leverkusen before a change in manager at the Bundesliga club.

Young spoke with Socceroos goalkeeper boss Tony Franken at a Level II goalkeeper coaching course in Tasmania last week.

‘‘Tony gave me some things Mark needs to work on and I have some ideas as well,’’ he said.

‘‘BK finished last season strongly and did well. He did well when I was a player here. He has the experience, maybe just needs to be pushed a little harder.

‘‘I will sit down with Biris, BK and [youth team keeper] John [Solari] one-on-one and have a chat about goals and what I expect from them.’’

Young was one of two new faces at training.

Northern Ireland international Jonny Steele completed his first session with the club after arriving on Saturday from the US, where he played alongside Tim Cahill at the New York Red Bulls, producing some nice touches and a lethal left foot in a series of finishing drills.

Steele, a box-to-box midfielder, is expected to help cover the departure of captain Ruben Zadkovich to Perth.

The Jets remain in the market for a holding midfielder and confirmed that former Brisbane Roar championship winner Erik Paartalu was one of a number of options on the table.

www.theherald.com.au/story/2432304/jets-goalie-coach-neil-young-back-for-keeps/?cs=306

Youngy best bloke.

hausmann
22-07-2014, 08:32 AM
‘‘The town of Newcastle wants people who work hard and play for the shirt.

‘‘That’s what I said to them this morning. Give me work ethic and the rest will come with it.’’

Calling Plague.

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. This "myth" has entered the culture of both the Knights and the Jets. But this quote is mainly about effort. And success doesn't come from effort alone.

There is nothing said about humility, ambition, respect and teamwork. It is all these attributes combined that bring success. What is effort without ambition and teamwork? You can become the fittest bloke in the league but if it isn't directed toward the skills you need to win games and is made subservient to the team goals, then fitness of itself isn't worth much.

Also look at the tweet that Marcos Flores made recently:

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much #teamwork

The corporate values are being communicated whether you like it or not, I just don't think it is the complete message. It creates a wrong emphasis and a misunderstanding about what the supporters want.

BodyNovo
22-07-2014, 08:45 AM
youngy what a legend, hope he succeeds with all 3 keepers.

steele looks fit and ready to which is good, hope we get to see him in the FFA cup game.

this promising, no bad news pre-season is absolutely ridiculous.

Premy
22-07-2014, 10:14 AM
steele looks fit
You sound like Mrs Premy :banghead:

:roflz:

BodyNovo
22-07-2014, 10:19 AM
lel

plague
22-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Calling Plague.

'Sup?

Oh, the values thingy again.
Ok, so Youngy wants players to give him work ethic? Yeah, that's my point, 'give' it, not 'talk about giving it'.
This may shock plenty of people out there but I'd bet that 'work ethic' is something they've had for a long long long time and that's why they are now professional footballers.
(h/t Malcolm Gladwell).

Do you think professional footballers sign for a new club and read Gary from Marketing's "5 point plan to becoming a mega awesome Jet" and realise "WHAT??? WORK ETHIC??? CALL THE UNION DAGNABBIT!!!"

Every coach who ever lived in any sport ever in the history of everything wants blokes to perform at thier best.

If you need pretty plaques over doorways to teach you that then I doubt they'd have made it that far anyway.

And don't even ****ing start me on hashtags............

plague
22-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Having said that I now realise why Suarez got into all that trouble.
Nowhere in LFC's corporate charter does it mention 'no biting people'
HOW WAS HE TO KNOW????GAHHHHH THE SYSTEM LETS ANOTHER ONE DOWN.........

#common****ingsense

hausmann
22-07-2014, 02:50 PM
#common****ingsense

Okay, it's obviously not common sense because the point I was making was that Youngy is wrong.

plague
22-07-2014, 03:10 PM
the point I was making was that Youngy is wrong.

Maybe you should start a #youngyout hashtag.

MFKS
22-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Okay, it's obviously not common sense because the point I was making was that Youngy is wrong.

The blokes been back 1 day and he is already wrong. FFS:roflz:

GazFish35
22-07-2014, 04:41 PM
you cant have a common sense clause though..... hard to defibne common sense.

Plauge is right, the club shouldnt have to write these things down.
But Haussman is right too. they do need to, to hold players to account, to let them know whats expected, to guide decisions made by the board (hahaha) and underlying set or core values laid out for all to see, and discussions on how these core values are reflected in the day to day running of the club are needed to show the people working for the club whats expected and how to behave.

To say they should just know as its common sense is too simplistic.

"work ethic" isnt enough if it was, I should get startm, I'd try real hard.

plague
22-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Plauge is right.

Sorry, I kind of stopped reading after this bit.......

plague
22-07-2014, 04:55 PM
But I'd take a raging egomaniac who wins over a humble loser any day.

plague
22-07-2014, 04:57 PM
and I reckon a massive percentage of world class athletes (and people in general at the top of their profession) are raging egomaniacs as opposed to humble 'good ole boys'.

MFKS
22-07-2014, 04:59 PM
But I'd take a raging egomaniac who wins over a humble loser any day.

Agree fully
Would prefer Suarez Berisha like Nutter who knows how to win and gets the job done rather than some great guy who tries hard but always comes second.

The rest of the argument is complete hypothetical horseshit anyway. Until the club is community owned and the fans decide the direction values are irrelevant when some billionaire owns the club and can do as he pleases

GazFish35
22-07-2014, 05:16 PM
The rest of the argument is complete hypothetical horseshit anyway. Until the club is community owned and the fans decide the direction values are irrelevant when some billionaire owns the club and can do as he pleases

Maybe so. But maybe the owner might want the club to be financially viable operation and for that the happen the club needs to community to engage with it and feel it represents them enough to pay to come watch games and buy shit.

hausmann
22-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Agree fully
Would prefer Suarez Berisha like Nutter who knows how to win and gets the job done rather than some great guy who tries hard but always comes second.

Both you and Plague say the same thing. You combine arrogant and winner and contrast that against humble and loser. But I was saying that the club should aim to be humble and winner (ie. should have ambition).

The two aren't mutually exclusive. And then there is arrogance (when someone feels they are a better person than others) and then there is confidence (something which a striker genuinely needs) but can still be a nice guy when you talk to them. I've always found Griffo to be confident rather than arrogant when I've talked to him in the past, but some will say he is arrogant. I get the same impression with Berisha, yes, extremely confident on the pitch but seems like a genuinely nice guy when interviewed.

Did anyone really go nuts over Taggart? I mean, he was our leading scorer last year. To me, he seemed a bit arrogant (don't know if he was or not) mainly due to the lack of emotion in his goal celebrations - it seemed to be all about him. He should have a fan club just like the Griff, but he doesn't. This tells you something about what people value. Cause Griff pumps his fist at the crowd and wants to celebrate with them when the team scores. Berisha is the same.

The whole values thing is not just about players anyway, it is about the coaching staff and admin people too. Anyone who has tried to talk to a few people in the admin and got the brush off will know what I mean.

q-money
22-07-2014, 06:06 PM
i think we're just so used to loveable hard-trying losers we've forgotten what it's like to win, and have winners on the team.

on the tagz thing though, remember when he forced that own goal from pasfield (lol) and ran to the fence and da boyz knocked that shit down, that's what people want, winners. so much so they will knock fences down. go winners.

agree with the griff though, if you have a chat to the bloke he is actually a geninuely nice dude, but once he steps over the line it's winning time.

win

plague
22-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Both you and Plague say the same thing. You combine arrogant and winner and contrast that against humble and loser.

Nah.
I'm saying that in a results driven business, winning is the focus. If we can do that humbly then great. But I'm contending that most champions are anything but humble.
As a fan I'm quite comfortable in my own skin, I don't want Gary from marketing telling me what's up.

BodyNovo
22-07-2014, 06:08 PM
taagz was a winner and griff is to.

parksey
22-07-2014, 06:25 PM
griff is to what?

Grimario
22-07-2014, 06:27 PM
griff is to what?

Griff is to everything as fish is to bicycle.

GazFish35
22-07-2014, 06:28 PM
Nah.
I'm saying that in a results driven business, winning is the focus. If we can do that humbly then great. But I'm contending that most champions are anything but humble.
As a fan I'm quite comfortable in my own skin, I don't want Gary from marketing telling me what's up.

I thought hauss was suggesting that we as fans should be telling Gary from marketing what's up.

Blackmac79
22-07-2014, 07:03 PM
I have said it before. I actually like losing now.

We are like the scottish. We are oppressed, down trodden, sods of people however if you were take the tyranny of England away we would be completely lost and not know what to do with ourselves as we quite like complaining.

I don't want to win. Comes with too much.... other stuff.

Jeterpool
22-07-2014, 07:26 PM
I don't want to win. Comes with too much.... other stuff.

Like happiness? Joy? ;)

hawk
23-07-2014, 01:43 AM
Like happiness? Joy? ;)

nah hope, expectation then great depth sof despair, unless ya win gf of course

Skirt Boy
23-07-2014, 02:51 PM
nah hope, expectation then great depth sof despair, unless ya win gf of course

Newcastle are so much like Spurs, Gunners and Scousers..........It's always "Yeah aiming for the title.......then it's missing a few players due to injury............then it's well we are rebuilding........Next year will be our year"

Repear for a few decades.