PDA

View Full Version : Daily Australian News Thread 2014

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11

GazFish35
07-10-2014, 07:37 AM
FYI, the link at the top is worth following, there's video of the great man.

Jeterpool
07-10-2014, 08:30 AM
I've been reading/listening to a lot of these "pre-season reviews. Nobody is really giving us a shout this year and they don't really have much nice to say about us either. They're banging us as odds-on favourite to get the wooden spoon and backing Stubbins as the first coach to be sacked.

This pisses me off and as a fan gets me motivated to support our team to prove them wrong. If Stubbins wanted any motivation this is it. Nobody believes in them, nobody gives them a shot. Go and there and prove those "pundits" wrong! And Tinkler isn't going to sack Stubbins either because he simply doesn't care about the club anymore. The only way he is getting sacked is if someone buys us and pays him out.

I really think we have a good team for a fresh start. A fresh coach who is looking to prove doubters wrong. I hope he's using this material to fire the boys up.

GazFish35
07-10-2014, 08:52 AM
there's been a lot of lazy punditry thats for sure.

belchardo
07-10-2014, 09:53 AM
I've been reading/listening to a lot of these "pre-season reviews. Nobody is really giving us a shout this year and they don't really have much nice to say about us either. They're banging us as odds-on favourite to get the wooden spoon and backing Stubbins as the first coach to be sacked.

This pisses me off and as a fan gets me motivated to support our team to prove them wrong. If Stubbins wanted any motivation this is it. Nobody believes in them, nobody gives them a shot. Go and there and prove those "pundits" wrong! And Tinkler isn't going to sack Stubbins either because he simply doesn't care about the club anymore. The only way he is getting sacked is if someone buys us and pays him out.

I really think we have a good team for a fresh start. A fresh coach who is looking to prove doubters wrong. I hope he's using this material to fire the boys up.

worked for the mariners for a few years.

belchardo
07-10-2014, 10:03 AM

interested to know who you guys think we'll finish above?

I'm hopeful we won't finish last, but I'm not sure I see us finishing in the top 6, and given we consistently lose to Perth and Nix (the other teams I'm thinking will be sitting in the cellar), I'm not convinced we'll finish above them.

I would argue that victory, Sydney and heart/city have all improved their squads. and I think the mariners will remain competitive, as will Brisbane, Western Sydney and Adelaide.

needless to say, i hope I'm horrendously wrong.

Jeterpool
07-10-2014, 10:45 AM

I'm hopeful we won't finish last, but I'm not sure I see us finishing in the top 6, and given we consistently lose to Perth and Nix (the other teams I'm thinking will be sitting in the cellar), I'm not convinced we'll finish above them.

I would argue that victory, Sydney and heart/city have all improved their squads. and I think the mariners will remain competitive, as will Brisbane, Western Sydney and Adelaide.

needless to say, i hope I'm horrendously wrong.

I think we will finish above the Mariners. I don't think they'll well this year. I'm thinking we'll finish ahead of Perth and the Nix and I think we'll be ahead of Sydney too. I don't think we'll be the top, but I think we will be 6th, maybe 6th ahead of City.

You're certainly right in what you say. Each team has strengthened, both those above and below us. It's going to be tough.

Let's be honest - it's the A-league and any team can win on their given day. It's so unpredictable. I just had the shits because Slater praises every frigging team saying basically they'll all make the top 6 except for us.

Actually...**** him. I don't want Slater's support.

Grimario
07-10-2014, 10:45 AM

I think we have a good best XI with bugger all after that. If our best XI are fit and play every game, we will upset the proverbial apple cart and be a team to fear in the finals. Unfortunately, we are starting off the season with an okay HAL defender in midfield and are just an injury away from having Gallaway at left back again.

belchardo
07-10-2014, 10:58 AM
that's the killer for me. pre-season has shown that we are about as deep as puddle. and even the puddle has deserted us now. :(

Jetmaster
07-10-2014, 11:18 AM
95% of the media only want to talk about Syd/Melb.....Roar practically forced everyone to take notice but they will be amongst the also rans once they drop off a bit.

I swear Smurfs are at least top two in the odds every bloody season !

Jetmaster
07-10-2014, 11:29 AM
On Facebook...

Adam Taggart is rumoured to be joining the Jets on loan to get game time before the Asian Cup.

Taggart has only just started Training again for Fulham after having knee surgery after the World Cup

Do we need him right now ?

Grimario
07-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Us? Nah, more likely Perth I reckon. There was a rumour last week that they had a high profile loan signing inbound, that would be perfect for them and him. Local boy with the big/small pairing up front with Keogh.

leftrightout
07-10-2014, 11:42 AM
On Facebook...

Haha well by the looks of our defence and midfield we are going to be looking to win games 5-4 and 6-5 so another goal scorer can only be helpful!

Grimario
07-10-2014, 11:48 AM
http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2014/09/10/5095015/glory-targeting-marquee-striker

Perth targeting marquee striker. Reckon Taggart could fit that bill...

Jeterpool
07-10-2014, 11:59 AM
On Facebook...

No, we don't need him. That's really hard to say, however.

pv4
07-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Perth with Hersi on one wing, Ruka on the other, and Keogh in the middle genuinely scares me. They have been severely underrated this preseason IMO.

sammydog
07-10-2014, 12:13 PM
On Facebook...

Given where I read that on FB, I won't put any weight behind it.

I think it would be a mistake to bring Taggart back on loan. We need a solid DM, not another Striker.

Jeterpool
07-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Perth with Hersi on one wing, Ruka on the other, and Keogh in the middle genuinely scares me. They have been severely underrated this preseason IMO.

I thought Ruka was going to the Wanderers?

A.J.
07-10-2014, 12:50 PM
100% agree that Perth are underrated. They've got a team of (mostly) proven A-League players, yet they've been written off.
I really hope Sydney fail to shut Gobbie Slater up

belchardo
07-10-2014, 01:28 PM
I really hope Sydney fail to shut Gobbie Slater up

nothing shuts slater up.

Jeterpool
07-10-2014, 01:46 PM
nothing shuts slater up.

To quote him, someone perhaps needs to "show him some violence"

Premy
07-10-2014, 02:55 PM
I'm calling it now Adelaide will get the spoon and Gombau will get the sack. Everyone knows how they will play/line up and that will be their downfall, they don't have the ability to play the game style they want to successfully and teams now know how to counter the "Barca" system. Question will be if Adelaide will be good enough to stick to system and still get results after teams set up to negate the "Barca" system, which IMO they're not. Pressure will mount after results don't come and the system will be thrown out the window in search for results, Gombau still doesn't have the right cattle.
If you look back at last season they made a late charge up the ladder after a bit of luck and other sides mediocrity. Key players found form towards the end of the season but will that be found again.
On the other hand I could be completely wrong. Adelaide will either set the world on fire or be a complete disaster I can't see any middle ground and I'm lean to the later.

matty
07-10-2014, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=Jetmaster;93764]On Facebook...
Yep called old mate on the fanboy page out about it, they refered to the article in the telly bout ruka and WSW, had a small piece on the bottom about chris herd and taggs lookin for a loan to the aleague but didnt mention anything about newy getting him back.....I personally think we got enough talent in the front third that it wouldnt be a viable option for club or player, but hey who knows with middleby at the top

GazFish35
07-10-2014, 03:44 PM

Nix, Perth, Adelaide, Coasties, for as good a reason as many of the pundits have written us off - a hunch.

But im not paid to provide informed comment like some of the journos and tv "experts" who have written us off with not so much as a passing glance.

hausmann
07-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Gotta love the new a-league ad. WSW well represented. Jets shown to be the bogans that we are with the players fighting on the field and Mariner and Jets fan arguing in the carpark.

I guess the FFA feel that the tagline #easeupfellas will truly represent us this year. That or its the FFA's message to The Squadron for taking a stand on Active Support restrictions.

joel31
07-10-2014, 04:13 PM
If Taggart did join I'd reckon that Montano's loan would be terminated

Tommyjet
07-10-2014, 04:25 PM
In a playing sense why would we say no to taggs returning? Caravella back, people are dreaming if they think we'll get another mid.
Get taggs on loan until January. It will give montano extra time to settle in plus take the pressure off griff so he can just do his thing. Push Steele back to midfield next to pepper/celeski until January then have another stab at getting a classy mid if we need it.

GazFish35
07-10-2014, 04:27 PM
In a playing sense why would we say no to taggs returning? Caravella back, people are dreaming if they think we'll get another mid.
Get taggs on loan until January. It will give montano extra time to settle in plus take the pressure off griff so he can just do his thing. Push Steele back to midfield next to pepper/celeski until January then have another stab at getting a classy mid if we need it.

Because that would be way too sensible.

joel31
07-10-2014, 04:28 PM
With our many spots left to fill

hausmann
07-10-2014, 04:40 PM

Apologise but I am just about to go on a MFKS style rant :)

This annoys me but it seems to be human nature for people from capital cities to ignore, feel superior to those from smaller places. The A-League ad just added fuel to the fire for me. After living in Sydney for a couple of years when younger and just having spent a long weekend there, you couldn't pay me enough to live there. But I guess these guys need a reason to overlook the paucity of the lifestyle their city provides the average Sydney sider. Apologies if that offends F3MDR members.

Their attitude is one of the reasons why our football club needs to be the best, most professional organisation it can be. There is no reason why Newcastle can't have a club with one of the biggest followings and greatest success (big football culture, no AFL or cricket as competition, local football friendly media). It's people aiming for mediocrity that is the problem. It's also a tendency to look internally. We need big multi-national companies sponsoring the Jets. We are not going to find that money in local businesses. So the whole Jets community has to be outward looking to bring that money in. We need to represent something that people in other places also aspire to.

To me what this is, this spirit that people all around the world can relate to is a spirit of independence. Not of pride, but of humble, fun loving character. A spirit of David of Newcastle versus the prideful Goliath of Sydney (or Melbourne or anywhere else, take your pick).

For the last four years we've been pretty much staring at our own belly button.

Barcelona would be just another regional Spanish city but the people there chose their football team to represent their passion, independent spirit and aspirations. I see a lot of similarities between that Catalunyan spirit and the Novocastrian spirit, but there always seems to be some barrier to that independent spirit being fully realised.

Newcastle definitely has a working class origin and it really pains me that one problem with this is that we appear to have a scarcity of true leaders - people who have the drive to represent large numbers of people and lead them in a direction they believe will be good for them. So I ask those of you who are prepared to stand up and represent (be it in the Supporters Committee or Squadron leadership or setting up a football history museum or whatever other capacity) to be strong in your convictions and clear in your vision. We need you to lead. I ask you to lead in your own small way but lead looking toward horizons that are probably further than you are looking now. We need to truly represent our own culture but we also need to be a true global citizen if we are to be a success.

I'll be right there supporting you and many other silent people will also. Our city needs you to light the way.

MFKS
07-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Bang on the money.

FFS The bloke was leading scorer in the League last season and you ****s would turn him down so we can have some bloke who wasn't wanted at Adelaide and another bloke who has so far achieved nothing and could be an epic success/failure to play with Griff??

Not forgetting we are generally shit and you ****s wish to turn down a good player who would be picked well ahead of Montana and Jeronimo.

If Jets said no to this it would be the dumbest thing they would have ever done and **** there are some **** ups in that list

MFKS
07-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Member would rather that he did his talking on the pitch. Put up or shut up Griff.

I can't maintain the sarcasm. Love the Griff.

Why wouldn't I love it??

I said the press would be better used to get the recalcitrant supporters to the game than pontificating some bullshit ideology that doesn't need to be spread to the masses and what better a draw card than god himself to speak to get the people who were letting the town down by not going to front up

Grimario
07-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Why wouldn't I love it??

I said the press would be better used to get the recalcitrant supporters to the game than pontificating some bullshit ideology that doesn't need to be spread to the masses and what better a draw card than god himself to speak to get the people who were letting the town down by not going to front up

I think you will find the people that don't go to the coastie game don't give a flying **** who griff is. They would be better served with a Bridges video.

leftrightout
07-10-2014, 05:27 PM
What are the rules around cancelling a loan deal if they ever thought of doing that to Montano?

By the way, how has he looked so far? i haven't seen him go around and have not really heard anyone say he will kill it!

Grimario
07-10-2014, 05:37 PM
What are the rules around cancelling a loan deal if they ever thought of doing that to Montano?

By the way, how has he looked so far? i haven't seen him go around and have not really heard anyone say he will kill it!

I reckon it's a contract and we have to abide by it unless we have included a "can **** him off if we want to bring someone else in" clause or all parties accept the loans mutual termination.

joel31
07-10-2014, 07:35 PM

Montano is a poor mans Heskey but I rate him to out perform the Heskey from last season this season

MFKS
07-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Montano is a poor mans Heskey but I rate him to out perform the Heskey from last season this season

Weren't you the guy whom gave Brillante shit stats on FM ???

joel31
07-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Weren't you the guy whom gave Brillante shit stats on FM ???
no. I made Brillante a lot better than he was but I tried not to overrate him

joel31
07-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Brillante was shit before I started doing the stats

weston
07-10-2014, 09:44 PM
I thought Montano was good when I seen him in townsville. I was happy with him. As long as he keeps his head in the right space he could very well kill it IMO.

Grimario
07-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Brillante was shit before I started doing the stats

Yet Chapman, Biraz, Goodwin, Neville all head off OS to have massively successful careers in Europe whilst Brillante stays at Jets till retirement because he is bog standard and not very good...

Hmm.....

plague
07-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Their attitude is one of the reasons why our football club needs to be the best, most professional organisation it can be. There is no reason why Newcastle can't have a club with one of the biggest followings and greatest success

A spirit of David of Newcastle versus the prideful Goliath of Sydney (or Melbourne or anywhere else, take your pick).

Barcelona would be just another regional Spanish city but the people there chose their football team to represent their passion, independent spirit and aspirations. I see a lot of similarities between that Catalunyan spirit and the Novocastrian spirit, but there always seems to be some barrier to that independent spirit being fully realised.

Heres the problem though. You want us to not think about being the little guy but then pigeonhole us as the little guy David.

Personally I hate teams that love being the underdog/little guy etc. Be the best or **** off. Best advice.

Also, the Barca thing is a bit of a stretch, you know, General Franco and all that.

Having said that though. The more blokes like you involved the better we'll be. Hope the team gives you some hope this year.

plague
07-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Oh and i just reackon we are turning into Perth 2.0
Buying up everyones rejects then wondering why the hell we arent awesome.
Not looking forward to that one bit.
as for top 6?
jeez louise, i didnt realise they legalised pot already. some of you lot need to ease up.
we're ****ing doomed.

again.

Thomas477
07-10-2014, 11:27 PM
**** Montano, get Taggz back.

Use the foreign spot for a decent quality DM.

I don't hold much hope for this season without that.

joel31
08-10-2014, 01:48 AM
Yet Chapman, Biraz, Goodwin, Neville all head off OS to have massively successful careers in Europe whilst Brillante stays at Jets till retirement because he is bog standard and not very good...

Hmm.....
depends what patch you talk about because in 14.3, Brillante had significantly higher CA than Goodwin and Neville and equal CA to Chapman. On FM14.3 Goodwin and Birraz have equal potential but this is the variable -7, so it will be change save to save within a range of 110 and 140. Neville's was low in that range in FM14. He (Brillante) will be better than them on FM15 and will have higher potential. All have fixed potential on FM15.

But even on FM14, at the time of the data lock, Brillante hadn't reached his best form so I hadn't seen what he was fully capable of

hausmann
08-10-2014, 04:42 AM
Heres the problem though. You want us to not think about being the little guy but then pigeonhole us as the little guy David.

Personally I hate teams that love being the underdog/little guy etc. Be the best or **** off. Best advice.

Also, the Barca thing is a bit of a stretch, you know, General Franco and all that.

Having said that though. The more blokes like you involved the better we'll be. Hope the team gives you some hope this year.

The reprisals against Barcelona came because it was a symbol of the people and their independence from the beginning. There would have been no "Franco and all that" if the people didn't use it as a focal point for their culture. I'm not saying we are exactly like that, but I am saying we have a unique independent spirit in a country where everything begins and ends with capital cities. I'm not saying we should be the the "Barcelona of the A-league". I'm saying we should celebrate our uniqueness the way they do because they have done it better than anyone. The fact is that people on here do when they talk about Reg Date, Kb United etc. and buy the E&C strip. People get it.

Also I'm not saying we should not think about being the little guy. Exact opposite. We are the little guy, as a city. But we can have a big club in a small city. Mariners will always be a small club. We don't have to be. Look at Green Bay packers. Huge, successful club in a very small population. What I said is we need to be outward looking. We at least need to be a lot of people's second favourite team so that multi national sponsors see that sponsoring us will get some traction in big markets. We need to look beyond the hunter because it's obvious that our big industries don't give a shit about sponsoring football teams. We don't produce anything here that needs a commercial profile, which is part of the struggle I'm talking about. Sydney won't give us our own container port because they say that their statistics show that most containers don't travel more than 40kms from the port. Exactly, that's why we need one. So that we can have our own industries again. Everything is sucked into Sydney. We used to produce our own beer, bread, textiles etc. Arnotts originally came from Morpeth. All those big commercial industries are gone. Yet even new small ones like Bluetongue won't sponsor local clubs. Nib send a lot of their sponsorship money elsewhere. And I think the main reason for this is because our clubs, knights and jets, have always settled for mediocrity and show themselves to be unprofessional and untrustworthy. This is why strong leadership is necessary.

You might say you hate the underdog story but it is a universal theme that people find attractive in all forms of theatre. I hate it when it is used as cliche in the media, an excuse for mediocrity or flash in the pan success. In the A-league, with its salary cap, there is no excuse for assembling an underdog squad. But that is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about living it. being a small city that has a big culture, a big club and that is the best club in the league but that still feels the humility of the small city it represents. David wasn't just the underdog, he became probably the greatest ruler of that small nation.

pv4
08-10-2014, 10:02 AM

I reckon it's a contract and we have to abide by it unless we have included a "can **** him off if we want to bring someone else in" clause or all parties accept the loans mutual termination.

Yep I daresay his mother club would have loaned him out to free up their wage bill. If we want to terminate his contract, I daresay we'd have to pay his wages out at the very least and that would still count towards our cap.

Not to mention the costs involved to get his life setup here in Australia etc. It is a pretty big cost to get visa players out here, so it would be pretty silly to terminate his contract.

If we're terminating anyones contract in the club, there's a certain local who hasn't been up to scratch for some time that I can think of.

Grimario
08-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Nah man, we need to have 3 keepers on the books.

plague
08-10-2014, 01:19 PM
We need to look beyond the hunter because it's obvious that our big industries don't give a shit about sponsoring football teams. We don't produce anything here that needs a commercial profile, which is part of the struggle I'm talking about. Sydney won't give us our own container port because they say that their statistics show that most containers don't travel more than 40kms from the port. Exactly, that's why we need one. So that we can have our own industries again. Everything is sucked into Sydney. We used to produce our own beer, bread, textiles etc. Arnotts originally came from Morpeth. All those big commercial industries are gone. Yet even new small ones like Bluetongue won't sponsor local clubs. Nib send a lot of their sponsorship money elsewhere. And I think the main reason for this is because our clubs, knights and jets, have always settled for mediocrity and show themselves to be unprofessional and untrustworthy.

Maybe big companies don't get value for money from sponsoring football teams. Maybe football teams need to look at what they are giving the sponsor rather than vice versa.
I used to work for a company that was keen to get involved with the Knights. We were willing to spend some money yet the negotiations went like this
"Give us money"
"You get the joy of saying you support the Knights".

That's it.
Now management has changed since then but it seems that the disconnect they have with fans probably suggests they still treat sponsors with similar disdain.

I think there's plenty of money in Newcastle and Hunter based companies that we can get the support. Maybe the approach from the club needs to be different.

hausmann
08-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Now management has changed since then but it seems that the disconnect they have with fans probably suggests they still treat sponsors with similar disdain.

I heard nothing has changed much in that regard (second hand feedback from a company that was asked to sponsor them).

furns
08-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Listening to latest SST podcast. Mr Super Agent still laying the boot into RM. Third week in a row.

joel31
08-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Listening to latest SST podcast. Mr Super Agent still laying the boot into RM. Third week in a row.
any news on the club?

belchardo
08-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Guardian writers’ predicted position: 10th (sorry, Jets fans)
Last season’s position: 7th

Such is Newcastle’s recent history, such has been its off-season of shifting sands and revolving doors, that one wonders if the club’s current position in the top six – alphabetically speaking, that is (http://www.a-league.com.au/ladder) – might prove to be its high water mark this coming season. It will take much effort, and luck, to ensure it is not.

Since finishing seventh last year – a season of inconsistency that featured a seven-game winless streak – the Jets have shed 12 of their squad, replaced interim coach Clayton Zane, and seen the club’s owners plant a For Sale sign in the front yard. Nathan Tinkler and his Hunter Sports Group may not be mourned when their caravan pulls out of the lot, but the loss of a dozen players – including international marquee Emile Heskey, captain Ruben Zadkovich, Michael Bridges, Nathan Burns, and exciting youngsters Josh Brillante, Connor Chapman, Craig Goodwin, James Brown and the competition’s leading goal-scorer last season, Adam Taggart – leaves some hole to fill, whatever the players’ individual merits.

Fashioning a rebuilt Jets squad into a cohesive unit is the job of debut A-League coach, Englishman Phil Stubbins, a veteran of Australian football since 1988 when he began playing for Melbourne’s Heidelberg United in the NSL. Stubbins would go on to play briefly for South Melbourne before ending up at Westvale Olympic in 1994 and it’s there he began a coaching career that has taken him around the Victorian state leagues to assistant coach at Adelaide United (during a period of success), to the AIS and, most recently, to Thailand. That’s quite an apprenticeship for an A-League head coaching position and he’ll be hoping it puts him in good stead for the challenges of his new role, the main aim of which will to get the Jets back into the finals after a four-year absence.

Stubbins’s immediate task is to make harmonious a squad (on and off the pitch) with so many new faces, some of whom are not as new as they may like. These things can take a while but boardroom heavies and fans aren’t always inclined to wait and it’s never too long before fingers start drumming on tabletops. So Stubbins will be relying on luck with injuries and the ability of his newcomers to adapt quickly to a new club and new team-mates and, in some cases, recapture their best form though it hasn’t been seen for some time. In these respects Stubbins has taken a gamble with recruitment.

With Taggart now at Fulham, Newcastle’s main goal-threat is gone, so much will be expected of incumbent Joel Griffiths as well as new signings Jeronimo Neumann from Adelaide, and 23-year-old Edson Montano, on loan from Ecuadorean Serie A side Barcelona SC. Montano has found the net in Newcastle’s unspectacular pre-season but the Jets will be hoping for a better scoring rate from him than the nine goals he scored in 45 appearances for Barcelona SC. Neumann, a classic poacher, scored 16 in 51 games for Adelaide, a rate less impressive than various commentators’ penchant for screaming out of his first name would suggest. He is, however, a player with good positional sense and a fine radar for the movement of his team-mates.

Perhaps the key to Newcastle’s attack will be whether the mercurial Marcos Flores can stay injury free and, as playmaker, recapture the kind of form that has made him one of the A-League’s all-time greats. Flores has just endured what he’s called the worst period of his career, brought on by a serious knee injury that ended his season with the Central Coast Mariners and saw him released. He says he’s keen to repay Newcastle’s faith in him. Stubbins will not only be hoping he does, but actually can. Few return from such an injury the same player.

Joining Flores in midfield will be little known Northern Ireland international Jonny Steele (who contributed five goals and six assists to the New York Red Bulls side last season) and the experienced Billy Celeski, who spent five seasons at Victory before playing last season with Liaoning Whowin in the Chinese Super League. But underlining the thinness of the Jets’ midfield a pre-season groin injury to Celeski, and a knee injury to Ben Kantarovski, might delay their season starts until round four. Youngster and local lad Jacob Pepper looks likely to get an early opportunity to realise his potential.

Given those injuries the Jets made every effort to lure former Roar midfielder Erik Paartalu, even releasing rising star Craig Goodwin to make room for his arrival. But when Goodwin signed with Adelaide United, Melbourne City gazumped the Jets by securing Paartalu’s signature. With these complications in mind the Jets convinced Zenon Caravella to return to the club. Caravella, who was granted a release at the end of last season as he wanted to pursue business interests in his hometown of Cairns, will add to the experience offered by goalkeeper Mark Birighitti and, among others, defenders Scott Neville, Dutchman – and new captain – Kew Jaliens, and two ex-Socceroos: David Carney and Adrian Madaschi, a left-back now on to his 11th club in 14 years.

In all, Newcastle have about them the look of a team in transition – but whether it’s a transition from seventh spot to last place, or seventh to the finals remains to be seen. It won’t help the Jets that the resurfacing of Hunter Stadium will see them on the road for their first four matches (including trips to Melbourne, Wellington and Perth), but if they can come out of those matches relatively unscathed they may just return to Newcastle with optimism for the long road ahead. They’ll need it.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/oct/08/a-league-preview-no6-newcastle-jets

furns
08-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Nope. Basically rates Big Phil, all the problems are in front office, and several signings were foisted on Phil rather than being his decision.
On a wider note, WSW reaching the ACL final has raised interest in a-league clubs being purchased, but Adelaide is seen as a better prospect due to Newy front office staff trying to protect their positions as a condition of sale.

Apparently had a texting war with RM after the show last week due to comments made. Offer was made for RM to appear on SST which was refused.

joel31
08-10-2014, 04:27 PM
brosque named Sydney FC captain

plague
08-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Offer was made for RM to appear on SST which was refused.

Can only imagine the interview.
Question asked.
10 minute pause whilst Middleby consults with PR person.
Stupid, nonsensical, well worded answer given that says a lot but answers nothing.

Repeat repeat repeat.

Smash iPod.

We remain the Jets.

Thomas477
08-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Just for the record, I am not Mr Super Agent, but I'm thinking I need to listen to this podcast.

hausmann
08-10-2014, 05:55 PM
Nope. Basically rates Big Phil, all the problems are in front office, and several signings were foisted on Phil rather than being his decision.
On a wider note, WSW reaching the ACL final has raised interest in a-league clubs being purchased, but Adelaide is seen as a better prospect due to Newy front office staff trying to protect their positions as a condition of sale.

Apparently had a texting war with RM after the show last week due to comments made. Offer was made for RM to appear on SST which was refused.

Very interesting podcast. Middle East interested party in an A-League club but does he want to introduce him to Middleby and have him ruin the deal? No proper CEO since Tsatsimas and Liolio. What's the bet that Rallis demands that Middleby be sacked before he introduces the buyer to the club and Tinkler boots him out the door.

Has to be a complete conflict of interest to have Middleby involved in the sale negotiations if he wants to keep his job as part of it.

hawk
08-10-2014, 07:42 PM
The reprisals against Barcelona came because it was a symbol of the people and their independence from the beginning. There would have been no "Franco and all that" if the people didn't use it as a focal point for their culture. I'm not saying we are exactly like that, but I am saying we have a unique independent spirit in a country where everything begins and ends with capital cities. I'm not saying we should be the the "Barcelona of the A-league". I'm saying we should celebrate our uniqueness the way they do because they have done it better than anyone. The fact is that people on here do when they talk about Reg Date, Kb United etc. and buy the E&C strip. People get it.

Also I'm not saying we should not think about being the little guy. Exact opposite. We are the little guy, as a city. But we can have a big club in a small city. Mariners will always be a small club. We don't have to be. Look at Green Bay packers. Huge, successful club in a very small population. What I said is we need to be outward looking. We at least need to be a lot of people's second favourite team so that multi national sponsors see that sponsoring us will get some traction in big markets. We need to look beyond the hunter because it's obvious that our big industries don't give a shit about sponsoring football teams. We don't produce anything here that needs a commercial profile, which is part of the struggle I'm talking about. Sydney won't give us our own container port because they say that their statistics show that most containers don't travel more than 40kms from the port. Exactly, that's why we need one. So that we can have our own industries again. Everything is sucked into Sydney. We used to produce our own beer, bread, textiles etc. Arnotts originally came from Morpeth. All those big commercial industries are gone. Yet even new small ones like Bluetongue won't sponsor local clubs. Nib send a lot of their sponsorship money elsewhere. And I think the main reason for this is because our clubs, knights and jets, have always settled for mediocrity and show themselves to be unprofessional and untrustworthy. This is why strong leadership is necessary.

You might say you hate the underdog story but it is a universal theme that people find attractive in all forms of theatre. I hate it when it is used as cliche in the media, an excuse for mediocrity or flash in the pan success. In the A-league, with its salary cap, there is no excuse for assembling an underdog squad. But that is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about living it. being a small city that has a big culture, a big club and that is the best club in the league but that still feels the humility of the small city it represents. David wasn't just the underdog, he became probably the greatest ruler of that small nation.

this is what the coaties call themselves. noone rates them, they dont care. fk that and fk them. We are working class newy. We will follow the the harder worker to earths end and dont accept nothing less. What we need is a fully committed backroom who knows how to recruit and back each other.
Then the coaches and players will have a chance.

hausmann
08-10-2014, 08:03 PM
this is what the coaties call themselves.

No they call themselves the small club, small region underdog.

I am essentially saying big club, small passionate region. I want to see the people of Newcastle passionate about the club like they were in 06/07/08, before everything turned to shit.

plague
08-10-2014, 09:52 PM
I am essentially saying big club, small passionate region. I want to see the people of Newcastle passionate about the club like they were in 06/07/08, before everything turned to shit.

You mean back when we were winning?

I think you've just solved your own dilemma.

pv4
09-10-2014, 06:43 AM
From The Herald (http://tinyurl.com/2g9mqh)

Jets clear for take-off in defining year of change
By JAMES GARDINER Oct. 8, 2014, 10:30 p.m.

LAST SEASON

Position: 7th, 10 wins, six draws, 11 losses, 36 points, 34 goals for, 34 against

NEW SIGNINGS

Marcos Flores (Central Coast): Won the Johnny Warren Medal in 2010-11 when at Adelaide. Coming back from a knee reconstruction and out to prove a point after being let go by the Mariners. The Jets have not had a genuine playmaker since Nick Carle left after season two. The strikers should be the beneficiary of his vision, skilful passing and creativity. Will get better as the season progresses.

Billy Celeski (Liaoning Whowin): A late addition whose start to the season has been delayed by minor groin surgery. Won a title and featured in four finals series at Melbourne Victory. Direct replacement for Ruben Zadkovich. Quality defensive midfielder when fit and firing.

Jonny Steele (New York Red Bulls): Dynamic left winger who gets up and down the touchline. Essentially replaces Craig Goodwin. Is more aggressive and appears a bigger threat on goal. His combination with former Red Bulls teammate Dave Carney could be crucial.

Adrian Madaschi (Jeju United): Veteran left stopper. Tall and experienced, but has been hampered by a calf issue in the latter stages of the pre-season. Not the quickest but is a good organiser and alongside skipper Kew Jaliens should provide leadership from the back.

Sam Gallagher (Hanoi T&T): Can play left stopper or left fullback. The Jets are his fourth A-League club. Has been one of the positives of the pre-season and will challenge Madaschi and Taylor Regan hard for a regular starting berth.

Jeronimo Neumann (Adelaide United): Was deemed surplus to requirements by Adelaide coach Josep Gombau despite netting nine goals. Replaces Adam Taggart, but don’t expect the same yield. Can play on the right but is more suited at the nine spot. Will compete with Joel Griffiths and Edson Montano for game time.

Edson Montano (Barcelona Sporting Club): Promising Ecuadorean striker. All power. Played at an under-20 World Cup and has four senior caps. Speaks little English. Might take time to adjust to Australian game and culture but should score goals. His girlfriend arrived this month from Ecuador.

Allan Welsh (Croydon Kings): Promising central defender who can also play as a defensive midfielder. Tall but with good feet. More a project player but will undoubtedly get a chance.

Josh Barresi (Western Sydney): Ruptured his ACL in a friendly against Juventus and is out for the season.

DEPARTURES

Michael Bridges (retired), Josh Brillante (Fiorentina), James Brown (Melbourne City), Connor Chapman (Melbourne City), Nathan Burns (loan expired), Joey Gibbs (released), Emile Heskey (released), Josh Mitchell (Liaoning Whowin), Adam Taggart (Fulham), Nick Ward (injury replacement expired), Ruben Zadkovich (Perth Glory)

THE WASH-UP

On the surface, the departures outweigh the arrivals. The biggest loss in terms of name is Heskey. The former England and Liverpool star scored 11 goals in two seasons, and of those only two came last campaign. His loss will be felt more in the dressing room where he was a magnet for players and a great professional. The biggest shoes to fill are those of Taggart. He won the Golden Boot with 16 goals and supplied nearly half of the 34 scored.

Skipper Ruben Zadkovich and midfielder Josh Brillante head the list of other notable departures. Zadkovich set the tone with his defensive bite, energy and enthusiasm but was prone to the odd brain snap. Brillante split his time between right back and midfield and was just starting to dominate games.

2014-2015 full strength team

4-2-3-1 Birighitti; Scott Neville, Kew Jaliens, Adrian Madaschi, David Carney; Billy Celeski, Zenon Caravella; Jeronimo, Marcos Flores, Jonny Steele; Joel Griffiths.

4-4-2 Ben Kennedy; Josh Brillante, Kew Jaliens, Josh Mitchell, Sam Gallaway; Joel Griffiths, Ben Kantarovski, Ruben Zadkovich, David Carney; Adam Taggart, Emile Heskey

2014-2015 full strength team comments

GK: Mark Birighitti – Had a strong start last season but ended up sitting on the bench for the final four games. Lost his way after a trial with Bayer Leverkusen but was selected in Socceroos extended squad for World Cup. Missed a place in Brazil but gained a ton of confidence from the experience in camp.

RD: Scott Neville – Returns after missing most of last season with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament. A bit rusty early but has improved in each of the past three friendlies. Was in career-best form before the injury. Very much a confidence player. Has pace and is a threat overlapping. Comes in for Josh Brillante, who was outstanding despite considering himself a central midfielder.

CD: Kew Jaliens – Has been given the captaincy after the departure of Zadkovich. Made a great start last season but faded. Good organiser and sets high standards. Is dangerous from set pieces.

CD: Adrian Madaschi – Replaces Josh Mitchell who was let go despite a strong finish to the season. Left stopper has been a trouble spot for the Jets. He has height and experience but lacks mobility. Sam Gallagher, Taylor Regan and Allan Welsh will keep him honest.

LD: David Carney – A class act. Struggled with a lower back problem early in the pre-season which impacted on his training. Has improved his fitness, has a beautiful left foot and great vision. Makes up for lack of pace with smarts.

CM: Billy Celeski – An area of strength last season is almost threadbare. Celeski is a proven performer. Can play as a six or eight and the Jets need him to be fit and firing. A totally different player to Zadkovich.

CM: Zenon Caravella – Back after a three-month stint in Cairns helping run the family backpackers hostel. Was in career best form when he called it quits. His composure on the ball and ability to pull the strings from midfield will be crucial. He has been playing in the Queensland state league and should only take a few weeks to get up to speed. Pushing both will be Ben Kantarovski. It shapes an important season for the home-grown player, whose knee continues to hive him grief.

RM: Jeronimo – Prefers to play at the point. Has tons of pace, is lethal from distance and reliable crosser of the ball. Joel Griffiths finished last season on the right wing, but at 35 is better suited centrally. Andrew Hoole could be the wildcard. Quick and dynamic with great engines. Now all he has to do is score goals.

No.10: Marcos Flores – The Jets have not had a No.10 of his ilk – any for that matter – since Nicky Carle won the Johnny Warren medal in 2007. Much of the Jets hopes will rest on the Argentinian and his creative spark. If he can get on a roll and open the way for his front men, the team and town will jump on his coat tails. Is coming back from a knee reconstruction, which is a big question mark, but is extremely driven.

LM: Jonny Steele – Taggart and Goodwin both played there last season. Steele is an out and out left winger. He is all action, has pace and a lethal left foot. Won’t die wondering. FW: Joel Griffiths – In the latter stages of his career but still quick across the ground. Runs great lines and is a proven finisher. Should benefit from having Flores in behind. You are almost guaranteed 10 goals a season from him. Will have Edson Montano and Jeronimo pushing for game time.

THIS WILL BE A BIG YEAR FOR

You could list half the squad here. Marcos Flores, Dave Carney, Jeronimo, Edson Montano, Scott Neville and Billy Celeski all have reasons to be motivated. But in terms of career and the next move, Mark Birighitti has the most at stake. The ambitious keeper was on the verge of a move to the Bundesliga until a deal with Bayer Leverkusen broke down at the death. A European move remains the goal, and he also has his sights set on Socceroos selection for the Asia Cup.

THE BOTTOM LINE

The Jets are desperate to end a four-year absence from the finals but will need to tick a lot of boxes to achieve that goal. There has been a major turnover in playing personnel and staff. What was a young squad is now one of the more experienced in the league. Phil Stubbins finally gets a chance in charge of an A-League side. He has some big personalities to manage, and a priority will be keeping them motivated and on the same page. Marcos Flores has to stay sound and reproduce the magic that earned a Johnny Warren Medal in Adelaide four years ago. David Carney, Kew Jaliens, Jonny Steele, Jeronimo, Billy Celeski and Joel Griffiths are proven performers. Throw in the potential of Edson Montano and Andrew Hoole and there is a lot to like. Four games away from home to start the season will test their resolve and the uncertainty over the club’s ownership will be bubbling away in the background. Stubbins has a glass half-full approach and if the players jump on board, the month of May could be spent playing finals rather than on an end-of-season trip.

FULL SQUAD

KEEPERS: Mark Birighitti, Ben Kennedy, John Solari

DEFENDERS: Kew Jaliens, Adrian Madaschi, Taylor Regan, Allan Welsh, Sam Gallagher, Sam Gallaway, Scott Neville, Dave Carney, Jacob Pepper

MIDFIELDERS: Ben Kantarovski, Billy Celeski, Zenon Caravella, Mitch Cooper, Marcos Flores, Jonny Steele, James Virgili, Andrew Hoole, Josh Barresi

FORWARDS: Jeronimo Neumann, Joel Griffiths, Edson Montano.

pv4
09-10-2014, 06:43 AM
From The Herald (http://tinyurl.com/2g9mqh)

Jets veteran David Carney says don't write us off
By ROBERT DILLON Oct. 8, 2014, 10 p.m.

FORMER Socceroo David Carney admits the Newcastle Jets are playing for respect this season and the only way to earn it is to reach the A-League play-offs.

Finals spectators in their past four campaigns, the Jets have been widely dismissed after an off-season in which they changed coaches and experienced a wholesale turnover of players, including the departure of key players Adam Taggart, Josh Brillante and Ruben Zadkovich.

In the countdown to their round-one clash with Central Coast at Gosford on Saturday, Newcastle are ahead of only Wellington Phoenix on the premiership betting market.

After training on Wednesday, Carney said senior players such as himself ‘‘don’t really buy into it’’ but gave an insight into the mindset of his teammates.

‘‘It’s good to be the underdogs but it is a little bit disrespectful now,’’ he said.

‘‘I remember reading something about when Western Sydney first started they were written off as wooden spooners and they ended up winning [the minor premiership]. Anyone can beat anyone in this league. It’s about making sure you’re fully prepared ... that’s what it comes down to.’’

A veteran of 48 games for Australia and two World Cups, Carney said a top-six position was a realistic goal for the Jets, who finished seventh last year, two points behind the finalists.

‘‘Our aim is to get into the play-offs,’’ he said.

‘‘I think Newcastle won it five or six years ago and they weren’t favourites to win it, so it can be done ... we’ve spoken about it a lot. It keeps getting mentioned – four years for Newcastle.

‘‘They love their football here in Newcastle, so it’s unfortunate for the fans.’’

The 30-year-old, who played seven games for the Jets last season after joining them in February, said Newcastle’s four-game block of away games to open their campaign would be crucial to their hopes at the business end of the year.

After the Mariners, Newcastle are on the road against Melbourne City, Wellington and Perth as they wait for the newly relaid Hunter Stadium pitch to become available for the round-five clash with Melbourne Victory.

‘‘Hopefully we can get off to a good start,’’ he said. ‘‘We don’t really want to leave it to the last five or six games to go on a winning streak this year. So hopefully we can get in the play-offs early and stay in there.’’

Jets skipper Kew Jaliens echoed Carney’s sentiments.

‘‘We know we have four hard away games, and if you get through it well it only benefits us for the rest of the comp,’’ he said. ‘‘So for us, it’s essential to get a good start ... you can’t afford a slow start. If you want to have success, you’ve got to be there from minute one.’’

Jaliens said Newcastle’s disappointing record at Gosford, where they have not won since January, 2008, was of no concern.

‘‘I never look at the past,’’ he said. ‘‘I look to the future and it’s a chance for us to get three points away.

‘‘Not only for us but also for the club and the supporters. It’s a big game.’’

Carney predicted both teams would stick to a no-frills game plan in the season-opener.

‘‘I’ve played in a few leagues and the first game, most teams sit back and don’t want to concede,’’ he said. ‘‘It’s a bit naive, but it normally happens. After the second or third game, it normally starts to open up a bit. I think the first game’s very important not to get beaten.’’

hausmann
09-10-2014, 07:07 AM
You mean back when we were winning?

I think you've just solved your own dilemma.

Yes, partially. Winning is a major component. But there was a number of things behind the scenes that made.the club attractive at that time and there were things that we're not being done properly that people grumbled about and should be fixed.

GazFish35
09-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Yes, partially. Winning is a major component. But there was a number of things behind the scenes that made.the club attractive at that time and there were things that we're not being done properly that people grumbled about and should be fixed.

I'm with you Hauss, the Geordies never win anything but have massive support.

plague
09-10-2014, 08:51 AM
I'm with you Hauss, the Geordies never win anything but have massive support.
They won promotion a few times.
Prob get the chance to do that again real soon.

Grimario
09-10-2014, 09:27 AM
My favourite part about that first article is that Biraz is GK in the 4-2-3-1 but BK is preferred in the 4-4-2... :lulz:

pv4
09-10-2014, 09:33 AM
My favourite part about that first article is that Biraz is GK in the 4-2-3-1 but BK is preferred in the 4-4-2... :lulz:

I think something has gone wrong by whoever wrote that article because the 442 lineup (or if I'm GVE, the 1-4-4-2 lineup) features last years players.

leftrightout
09-10-2014, 09:34 AM

The 4-4-2 is what were were playing at back end of last year. Look at the line up it contains Brillante, Taggart, Zads, Heskey

Grimario
09-10-2014, 09:36 AM
The 4-4-2 is what were were playing at back end of last year. Look at the line up it contains Brillante, Taggart, Zads, Heskey

So, what you are saying is the article is poorly written?

Bon
09-10-2014, 09:44 AM

Yeah, I took it as the writer was comparing last years formation/players to this years?
Or was I giving too much credit?

leftrightout
09-10-2014, 09:45 AM
So, what you are saying is the article is poorly written?

Im assuming a headding "2013-2014 Full Strength Line Up" has been missed?
But yes, its a f*ck up somewhere

pv4
09-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Im assuming a headding "2013-2014 Full Strength Line Up" has been missed?
But yes, its a f*ck up somewhere

I checked The Herald site (http://tinyurl.com/2g9mqh) again and it definitely wasn't a copy/paste issue - they've missed an extra heading or note to say in comparison to.

Grimario
09-10-2014, 10:01 AM
I checked The Herald site (http://tinyurl.com/2g9mqh) again and it definitely wasn't a copy/paste issue - they've missed an extra heading or note to say in comparison to.

****ing herald. And that's why I don't go to their site, ****ing amateurs.

GazFish35
13-10-2014, 08:42 AM
from 442

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/gutted-loss-dont-write-jets-says-stubbins

Gutted by loss but don't write off Jets, says Stubbins
Newcastle coach Phil Stubbins revealed his disappointment after the Jets lost their A-League opener in the final minutes of the match, vowing his side will prove plenty of people wrong this season.

The Jets dominated large parts of the F3 Derby on Saturday and seemed set for a point against the Central Coast Mariners, before Mitchell Duke struck from a free-kick in injury time.

Newcastle had a goal disallowed for offside, racked up a host of chances, enjoyed 53% possession and notched up a 7-0 corner count over the home side at Central Coast Stadium but still went home empty-handed.

“That was tough to take,” Stubbins admitted to FourFourTwo.

“Cruel, but reality - I'm gutted for the boys and our supporters that travelled down.

“I’ve spoken all along about winning but most importantly what it costs to win. That scenario unfolded in the 93rd minute unfortunately.

“We also had chances to score but overall I’m happy with the performance albeit disappointed for the loss.

“Look, it will take some time to get everything up to speed with the fluency and effectiveness of our play but I’m proud of how the boys performed.

“We want to create a strong identity at the Jets with a strong culture attached to our play. We will continue to keep demanding of the group and pushing them on and searching for constant improvement in our play.

“We’re rebuilding at the moment, which won’t happen overnight, but we can definitely take lots of positives out of that first game as a team moving forward.”

The Jets were missing a number of midfielders with injury and their season won’t get any easier with an away trip to face Melbourne City this Sunday.

Many pundits has already written off the Novocastrians before the season started and have tipped them for the wooden spoon.

Stubbins said this is proving extra motivation.

“It certainly doesn’t sit well with me personally and I know the group is of the same thought,” he said.

“We have a fantastic supporter base here in Newcastle and a ground that needs 20,000 plus in it every time we play at home.

“We want that to be a reality but we know that won’t happen unless results and progress of the club take effect for the better.

“However, that’s going to take time to find that winning formula on a consistent basis but the signs from my viewpoint are very positive. They can keep writing us off but this group will prove them wrong.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/gutted-loss-dont-write-jets-says-stubbins#TzTMC8osUa3tKQWc.99

Didnt publicly tear strips of any players?
who doe sthis bloke think he is?
bring back GVE.

please note: sarcasm may or may not have been used in this post.

Jeterpool
13-10-2014, 09:05 AM
from 442

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/gutted-loss-dont-write-jets-says-stubbins

Didnt publicly tear strips of any players?
who doe sthis bloke think he is?
bring back GVE.

please note: sarcasm may or may not have been used in this post.

:what: ha ha ha

It's a pleasant change

WolfMan
13-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Provides a point of difference in the Managerial-third

hausmann
13-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Stubbins today:

“We want to create a strong identity at the Jets with a strong culture attached to our play. We will continue to keep demanding of the group and pushing them on and searching for constant improvement in our play.

“We have a fantastic supporter base here in Newcastle and a ground that needs 20,000 plus in it every time we play at home.

Robbie Middleby in the Herald the other day:

but the product that we’ve got is some exciting talent and new coach [Phil Stubbins] with new ideas,’’ he said. ‘‘He brings in a new philosophy, although I hate using that word,

Now I can only guess why Robbie hates using the word "philosophy", but I think its just great that Phil doesn't seem to mind talking about it. He seems pretty clear on implementing his philosophy. I would much rather hear Phil talk about "fantastic supporter base" than hear Middleby use his usual marketing/management speak: "members and supporters", "product", or "kpis".

Another breath of fresh air from Phil.

belchardo
13-10-2014, 01:02 PM
hey, it isn't just us who thought GVE sent players backwards!

Jets’ graveyard resurrected
While Adam Taggart and Josh Brillante were two undoubted success stories from the Newcastle Jets last season, the number of emerging stars that failed to push on far outnumbered them.

Craig Goodwin, touted as a future talent since his Melbourne Heart days, almost went backwards after a breathtaking start to life in Newy. Now he’s looking reinvigorated with his role as a left wingback with Adelaide, and his performance against Brisbane was impressive.

Although the final ball is still missing from his game at times, neat combinations with his new teammates will give the man a massive confidence boost.

Meanwhile, former teammate James Brown produced more in 10 minutes for his new club Melbourne City than he did during his entire time with the Jets. The 24-year-old with a penchant for hipster glasses cracked a controlled shot off the crossbar and released Aaron Mooy with an exquisitely lofted ball.

Granted, he had a multitude of injury troubles at the Jets, but this was an assured and confident performance.

And the Jets’ other maligned winger, James Virgili, also put in a solid shift against the Central Coast Mariners. The highlight was a precise first-time ball for Jonny Steele, whose cheeky lob had just a little too much curry.

What the hell did Gary van Egmond do to these poor boys?

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/10/13/league-round-1-musings-moyes-new-kingdoms-musky-magic/

belchardo
13-10-2014, 08:39 PM
mckay "offered" two weeks on the side line.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/outcome-of-independent-match-review-panel---round-1/11bos8pl1l67ezmol5dx0iwaq

Thomas477
13-10-2014, 09:42 PM
If he was sent off for abuse, then he should get a minimum 3 weeks (1+2). I think that's what the minimum is in newcastle football.

MFKS
14-10-2014, 11:23 AM
If he was sent off for abuse, then he should get a minimum 3 weeks (1+2). I think that's what the minimum is in newcastle football.

Griff got 2 weeks for abusing the same ****.

Mulvey was harping on that Matt McKay is the most placid guy on the planet and in 15 years of knowing him has never seen him lose his temper like he did on Sunday.

Maybe the problem is Ben Williams. High time the FFA looked at this incompetent twat and ****ed him off

**** would have a field day reffing the NPL with the abuse from the players there

MFKS
14-10-2014, 12:29 PM
FORMER Liverpool and Manchester United greats Robbie Fowler and Dwight Yorke are returning to Newcastle - but not as you have seen them before.

Fowler and Yorke will join Andy Cole and a galaxy of former Premier League stars in the inaugural Legends of Football tour to Australia that will include a stopover at the Newcastle Entertainment Centre on January 16.

Initiated in the UK, the legends tour will bring together big names from Liverpool, Manchester United and Australia for a six-a-side round robin tournament.

Matches are played on a indoor pitch over 30 minutes with unlimited interchange.

Jets assistant coach Michael Bridges will head up the Aussie Legends and played in similar tournaments in Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur earlier this year.

"The concept has been a resounding success in Europe and Asia and I can't wait to bring the experience to Australian football fans," Bridges said.

"A lot of the lads have not long retired and can still play at a very high standard. They have magical touches and are still in good nick.

"The games are played on a pitch that is similar in design to an ice hockey rink.

"It's skilful and fast football.

"The fans are right on top of the action and there is a lot of interaction with the players."

The tournament, which includes a final, lasts three hours and will have live commentary and a big screen.

The legends will spend 10 days in Australia, starting with a game at All Phones Arena, Sydney, on January 10.

As well as the games, the players will conduct kids coaching clinics, attend functions and autograph sessions.

"There will be a chance for the fans, old and young, to get up close and personal," Bridges said. "It's not just play a tournament and off they go. They will be getting involved in the community.

"When we started planning the event we received an amazing response from some of the great names from Manchester, Liverpool and Australia."

Yorke was the first big name to play in the A-League and helped steer Sydney FC to the inaugural championship.

Fowler, who scored 128 of his 160 Premier League goals for Liverpool, played for North Queensland Fury and Perth Glory.

The Legends tournament begins a big month of football in Newcastle highlighted by the Asian Cup, which will see four games played at Hunter Stadium, including a semi-final and play-off for third.

I see the headline and I just know this blokes name will be here some where.

parksey
14-10-2014, 01:48 PM
sounds like a good time to me

Jeterpool
14-10-2014, 01:57 PM
sounds like a good time to me

I agree. looking forward to it

sammydog
14-10-2014, 02:39 PM
I agree. looking forward to it

Even better, the wife said we have to make sure we get tickets to it.

Jeterpool
14-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Even better, the wife said we have to make sure we get tickets to it.

:wtf:

GazFish35
14-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Speed soccer Cardiff to be training venue.

leftrightout
15-10-2014, 07:29 AM
I see the headline and I just know this blokes name will be here some where.

Yeah well he did play a part in organising it all, but that wouldnt matter to you, you will take any chance to have a dig at him or middleby!
Actually is that your first ever post without having a dig at middleby?

pv4
15-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Bridges would be so, so good in six a side.

Pretty keen to check it out.

Jeterpool
16-10-2014, 06:40 AM
Well done on today's article, Robert Dillon. You do realise Steele is from Northern Ireland while Duff is from Ireland? They are two different countries and they are not compatriots. :thumbsup:

No link today

And incase it isn't clear. I'm being sarcastic in my praise. Who proof reads this work?

pv4
16-10-2014, 06:59 AM
Well done on today's article, Robert Dillon. You do realise Steele is from Northern Ireland while Duff is from Ireland? They are two different countries and they are not compatriots.

No link today

I'll link it for couscous and pals.

Here (http://tinyurl.com/jwobmc2)

Footyhead
16-10-2014, 08:05 AM
Well done on today's article, Robert Dillon. You do realise Steele is from Northern Ireland while Duff is from Ireland? They are two different countries and they are not compatriots. :thumbsup:

No link today

And incase it isn't clear. I'm being sarcastic in my praise. Who proof reads this work?

"who proof reads this work"?.. Who reads this crap anyway... Dillon is a friggin knob wouldn't wast my time even glancing at his dribble

Couscous
16-10-2014, 08:52 AM
I'll link it for couscous and pals.

Here (http://tinyurl.com/jwobmc2)

Thanks mate.

But don't expect any usual defensiveness from me today. I just saw on Twitter that Dillon is a father, so I'll feeling pretty jaded :(

belchardo
16-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Who proof reads this work?

kiwis.

Blackmac79
16-10-2014, 09:48 AM

No link today

**** that. Dillon has it bang on the money. Twats splitting the country in two are to blame for your mistake.

United Ireland!

hawk
16-10-2014, 01:57 PM
**** that. Dillon has it bang on the money. Twats splitting the country in two are to blame for your mistake.

United Ireland!

under British rule or independiente? uh oh cue troubles

Blackmac79
16-10-2014, 02:02 PM
under British rule or independiente? uh oh cue troubles

Independent o'course.

Do you not know me at all?

belchardo
16-10-2014, 02:22 PM
^^^^^

good thing Scozzy ain't around anymore.

Thomas477
16-10-2014, 08:54 PM
I miss scozzy.

hawk
17-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Independent o'course.

Do you not know me at all?

gosh i hope you're not keltic

hawk
20-10-2014, 08:13 PM
MARK BIRIGHITTI – 5
Was solid enough for most of the game, but he should have done better with David Villa's goal, after he was beaten at the near post.

DAVID CARNEY – 7
Carney was a continued threat all afternoon for the Jets and the former Socceroo put in another impressive shift.

SCOTT NEVILLE – 6.5
Did well to keep the likes of David Villa at bay for most of the match and offered great support in attack.

SAM GALLAGHER – 6
Had his moments. His combination with Kew Jaliens will only get better with time.

KEW JALIENS – 8
A fine display: Kew Jaliens.
A real rock at the back with the Jets, another fine display in a combination that still needs time to form. The captaincy seems to have taken his game to new heights.

TAYLOR REGAN – 7.5
Wasn't a fan of Taylor Regan in midfield when Stubbins first floated the idea, but Regan is proving real serviceable in that area.

JACOB PEPPER – 7
Pepper is proving to be Mr Versatility. Another strong display from the youngster, who like Regan, I initially doubted.

JOHNNY STEELE – 6.5
Didn’t have a lot of opportunity to be involved, showed some good signs in a patchy display.

JOEL GRIFFITHS – 7
Great energy: Joel Griffiths. Picture: Getty Images
Injuries are forcing Griffiths to play in a role that he is probably less effective, but he continues to show great energy and provided the cross for Edson Montano's goal.

MARCOS FLORES – 6
A much needed 70 minutes for the Argentinian. He had a half chance in the second half which he couldn't turn into a goal, and he'll be much better for the run.

EDSON MONTANO – 8
Very impressed by Montano. Not a lot was expected of the Ecuadorian going into the season, but he provides great energy, physicality and he took his goal well. He'll only improve with more game time and hopefully more goals.

Substitutes -

ZENON CARAVELLA – 5.5
Although he did provide a spark when he came on in the second half, he butchered a chance, which proved the turning point, with David Villa going down the other end and grabbing an equaliser.

ANDREW HOOLE – 6.5
Came on to replace Joel Griffiths and did well. Hoole will be pushing for a starting place as he continues his return from injury.

JERONIMO NEUMANN – 7

NH

leftrightout
21-10-2014, 07:16 AM
How did they come up with some of those ratings?
Regan better than pepper
Caravella only 5.5 but Neumann 7... who did these?

belchardo
21-10-2014, 07:54 AM
still laughing at carney getting a higher score than Neville, Gallagher and Flores.

cobra23
21-10-2014, 09:28 AM
caravella at least 6.5 . you cant take points off becasuse he missed a chance...
regan 7.5 for half a game , he would have not been dragged if that was the case. give me a break...

the bloke who does these ratings is having one.

Jeterpool
21-10-2014, 09:30 AM
caravella at least 7 . you cant take points off becasuse he missed a chance...
regan 7.5 for half a game , he would have not been dragged if that was the case. give me a break...

the bloke who does these ratings is having one.

So what you're saying is, Journalist - 1

leftrightout
21-10-2014, 10:29 AM

They would probably give themselves 7.5 though

21-10-2014, 10:33 AM

That is being kind at best.

leftrightout
21-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Melbourne City being screwed around by their owners. David Villa wont play all 10 games straight, he will go to NY for a couple of weeks in the middle. As good as he is, that has to make it hard to get any kind of continuity in the team!

MFKS
21-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Melbourne City being screwed around by their owners. David Villa wont play all 10 games straight, he will go to NY for a couple of weeks in the middle. As good as he is, that has to make it hard to get any kind of continuity in the team!

Why would continuity matter??

Hearts season will be living and dying on what the blokes at the club do when Villa is gone and not what they achieve when he is here

Lets face it the bloke is here as a gimmick and to build Melburn Hearts profile. Judging by how many they got last weekend, the amount queuing for his Autograph after the game and the positive press the HAL and Heart have got the job is done.

Being that the signing was a guest stint the 10 week thing meant his impact was always gonna be short term unlike Sydney's 2 good years they got out of ADP.

Good news for Heart is he is generating interest that some of these 15k they got may stick around after he is gone

lquiquer
21-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Good news for Heart is he is generating interest that some of these 15k they got may stick around after he is gone
Heart just reached 10000 members today

hawk
21-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Heart just reached 10000 members today

pea heart effort. Bet they would only get 5000 if they had our sqaud. Imagine if we had Villa here, 15k straight up

MFKS
22-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Gypos bitching now that they have paid good dole money etc to go to melburn to see Villa play and he is now not going be there.

Hell I actually went to Melburn last week to watch my team play and not some opposition player.
Matter of fact if he hadn't of scored i would never have known he was actually ****ing playing

Useless ****s

Grimario
22-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Have glory hunting City bandwagoners started complaining about purchasing memberships on the back of him being there for X games?

Grimario
22-10-2014, 07:31 PM
How has no one mentioned this yet?

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2641434/koukash-among-potential-jets-owners/?cs=306

League tycoon Marwan Koukash among potential Jets owners

THE Newcastle Jets could also be on the radar of rugby league-mad British billionaire Marwan Koukash when he heads to Australia this week to pursue his ambition of owning an NRL club.

The Newcastle Herald can reveal the self-made tycoon was one of several potential owners that Jets management met with on their fact-finding trip to the UK last month while trying to sell Nathan Tinkler’s A-League club.

Koukash, one of the biggest owners of racehorses in Britain, is reportedly set to arrive in Australia this week for Melbourne’s spring racing carnival and to meet with NRL officials to discuss his plans to buy a club.

He has been linked to the Newcastle Knights, Gold Coast Titans, St George Illawarra Dragons and even the publicly listed Brisbane Broncos but has said he is not interested in Wests Tigers.

Koukash, a Palestinian refugee, has an estimated fortune of $3billion and has spent up to $7million on Salford Red Devils since saving the cash-strapped UK Super League club almost two years ago.

The 55-year-old has made no secret of his determination to own an NRL club, but the Herald has been told Koukash showed some interest in the Jets when chief executive Robbie Middleby, former Hunter Sports Group CEO Troy Palmer and assistant coach Michael Bridges met with him as part of their nine-day UK tour.

The Herald has been told the Jets have not scheduled another meeting with Koukash, but the fact he will spend the next couple of months in Australia will give club officials a chance to renew talks in person.

Koukash has said he will spend Christmas and new year in Australia and move to the country in the next 18 months.

Tinkler announced in August that he was trying to sell the A-League club and the Jets are believed to be pursuing multiple prospects without a focus on Koukash.

However, buying the Jets could be a foot in the door for Koukash, who has been touted as a potential owner for the Knights since July, a month after Tinkler walked away from the NRL club.

Koukash has spoken with the NRL about his ownership ambitions, but the prospect of him buying the Knights in the short-term appears unlikely.

An NRL spokesman told the Herald last month that the governing body had held ‘‘only very preliminary discussions’’ with Koukash and ‘‘there is no prospect of any sale of the Newcastle Knights at this stage’’.

The NRL is hoping to announce a new seven-person Knights board by the end of this month.

The Jets said last month that ‘‘all discussions regarding the future ownership of the club will understandably be kept confidential and are expected to continue over the coming months’’. ‘‘Given the confidential nature of these discussions, it is in the best interests of the club and parties involved that no further comments will be made until negotiations are complete,’’ the club said.

GazFish35
22-10-2014, 07:34 PM
His name got bandied around a while back I think.

MFKS
22-10-2014, 07:41 PM
How has no one mentioned this yet?

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2641434/koukash-among-potential-jets-owners/?cs=306

Probably because it ain't happening.

Try selling the concept to Knoughts fans that we are still gonna be sister clubs just this time owned by a different rich bloke. Hell try selling them the concept of a private owner and with the Tinkler wounds so fresh you will struggle to get that up

If this bloke wants a HAL club he will buy one. What surprises me is he has not shown much interest in an English football side so can't imagine he is dying to own a football team as shit as us

Thomas477
22-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Just what we'd want too, to continually be the younger brother in the relationship with the noughts.

F*** him

Thomas477
22-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Also, Ben Williams has been stood down for this w/e Aleague games.

Premy
22-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Heard him on the Big sports breakfast weeks back say he was not interested in the A-League or any Football clubs.
He siad and i quote "I love my League and Horses and I want to win a NRL premiership and The Cup (Melbourne Cup) and I'm not afraid to spend money to make that happen"

Just your typical paper fill from the Herald.

Jeterpool
23-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Heard him on the Big sports breakfast weeks back say he was not interested in the A-League or any Football clubs.
He siad and i quote "I love my League and Horses and I want to win a NRL premiership and The Cup (Melbourne Cup) and I'm not afraid to spend money to make that happen"

Just your typical paper fill from the Herald.

1+1 = 3

MFKS
24-10-2014, 07:13 AM
JETS coach Phil Stubbins is not one to apportion blame to individuals.

While external pressures mount due to the uncertainty over the club’s ownership under Nathan Tinkler, Stubbins is trying to foster a competitive unity in the team.

That is why he believes his No.1 goalkeeper, Mark Birighitti, is under no pressure for his spot leading into Sunday’s clash with Wellington at Westpac Stadium, despite conceding late goals in their opening two A-League games, against the Central Coast Mariners and Melbourne City.

Those goals, scored in injury time and the 87th minute, have cost the Jets a draw against the Mariners and two points against City.

‘‘We don’t point fingers at anyone in the team,’’ Stubbins said. ‘‘If you flip that on the other side, we’ve had opportunities to win the games and we haven’t taken them.

‘‘Rather than blame anyone, I’d say it’s a team effort and regardless of the score we’re all in it together.

‘‘From my perspective I certainly won’t be pointing fingers at anyone and just asking every individual to raise the bar themselves.

‘‘That collectively raises the standards of the team.’’

Birighitti is not alone in being beaten at the near post by a David Villa strike.

The Spanish star is his nation’s greatest goalscorer and has beaten the world’s best glovemen.

‘‘I saw it a little late through a crowd of players, but the disappointing thing being a goalkeeper is I saw it late, got a hand onto it, but just wasn’t strong enough,’’ Birighitti said. ‘‘These things happen and I’ve just got to focus on next week.’’

At Wednesday’s training session the competitive fire in the squad was palpable.

Joel Griffiths and Jonny Steele exchanged heated words and bumped shoulders, David Carney was barking and Zenon Caravella joked afterwards the boys would need shin pads for the next session.

Birighitti has plenty of competition for his position from Ben Kennedy.

After starting the opening 23 rounds of last season, Birighitti was usurped for the final four matches by Kennedy.

After the first off-season under Stubbins, Birighitti was reinstalled as No.1 keeper.

‘‘That’s what you want in a training session – lots of people fighting for spots,’’ Birighitti said. ‘‘That’s the beauty of the game. You want to be fighting for your position and have nothing come easy.

‘‘It was there last year, but not as much as this year.

‘‘It’s one thing the gaffer has implemented in the playing group is that hunger to win your individual battle, and it showed out there, and we need to take that into games as well.’’

Hello Couscous :tongue:

MFKS
24-10-2014, 07:15 AM
Joel Griffiths and Jonny Steele exchanged heated words and bumped shoulders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpu8k8ht_jw

zorse
24-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Flores raising our media profile...or not:
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2646761/flores-dont-you-know-who-i-am-moment/?cs=305
LOL

Bon
24-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Flores raising our media profile...or not:
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2646761/flores-dont-you-know-who-i-am-moment/?cs=305
LOL

That really shits me the way its reported, making out in the heading that he said "Don't you know who I am?" when in actual fact, he didn't, its just that he could have..
Typical..

pv4
24-10-2014, 03:04 PM
I remember watching The Project one night and they were interviewing people on the streets about mobile phones, and one of the people they interviewed was Connor Chapman (about a week after announcing his move to Melb City) and he said he wanted his phone to text for him while he's driving :rof:

belchardo
29-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Lowy flags multi-tier, expanded A-League

Football Federation Australia chairman Frank Lowy says it’s only a matter of time until the A-League expands to a 12-team competition and adopts a system of promotion and relegation.

The 84-year-old flagged the changes in a television interview aired on Wednesday.

In particular, he said the introduction of a multi-tier model was all but inevitable.

“I think we should take that into consideration because eventually we will have to have promotion and relegation,” Lowy told Fox Sports.

“In my estimation, we will be made to do that.”

Lowy said the FFA was being encouraged by the sport’s governing bodies to expand the competition.

But the shopping centre mogul said they understood the process would take time and weren’t pressing too hard.

“They know that we have started, it will take time,” he said.

“Nobody’s pressing us at the moment except ourselves.”

He said Australia and the United States are the only two countries in the world who do not employ a promotion and relegation structure.

Two more teams should also be introduced by the time the current broadcast deal is replaced following the 2016/17 season, Lowy said.

From there he said a 14-team competition could also be on the cards.

“That process is already underway,” Lowy explained.

“Research is being made where and when should a new team be established throughout Australia.”

Wollongong, Canberra, Cairns and south-west Brisbane have all been touted as potential homelands for new A-League clubs.

Lowy has previously predicted the sport’s popularity would double, if not triple, in the next decade.

The chairman – who has seen the Socceroos qualify for three consecutive World Cup finals during his tenure – will step down in November 2015.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/10/29/lowy-flags-multi-tier-expanded-league/

GazFish35
29-10-2014, 01:34 PM
almost nailed on Brisbane will get another side...... derbies derbies derbies the ffa want more derbies.

maybe Maitland or cessnock should pitch for a team.

Jeterpool
29-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Promotion and relegation would be the biggest step the competition has taken since it's inception. What will happen to clubs that are relegated? Will their owners walk away? You'd hope the TV deal is enough to support the clubs in that manner and also have any second tier competition televised.

A long long long way off in my opinion. I'm thinking it'll be a while until the sport is able to sustain relegation/promotion in this country.

MFKS
29-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Promotion and relegation would be the biggest step the competition has taken since it's inception. What will happen to clubs that are relegated? Will their owners walk away? You'd hope the TV deal is enough to support the clubs in that manner and also have any second tier competition televised.

A long long long way off in my opinion. I'm thinking it'll be a while until the sport is able to sustain relegation/promotion in this country.

Why worry about that now. We are nailed on certainties to find out first hand.

What price when this relegation stuff comes in we are first one gone???

lquiquer
29-10-2014, 02:10 PM
A couple of years ago I predicted WSW crowd figures would be about 5000 and SFC figures would drop to 10000...Well I was wrong big time. However I don't think Brisbane can support 2 teams..Thoughts anyone? Also 2 questions for you Mr Grim: Do most Adelaide city fans support Adelaide United and do you think Adelaide could have 2 teams in the A-League (Would be interested to see a United - City FFA cup semi final).

pv4
29-10-2014, 02:11 PM
IMO the next two teams should be Wollongong and South Melbourne.

lquiquer
29-10-2014, 02:16 PM
IMO the next two teams should be Wollongong and South Melbourne.

South Melbourne..... As well as or instead of City ?

pv4
29-10-2014, 02:17 PM
South Melbourne..... As well as or instead of City ?

Victory, City AND South.

There will be at least a few thousand Victory supporters that will jump to South if they come in, plus there's a tonne of NSL Euro-Snob Tragics that haven't subscribed to the HAL yet - similar to a large amount of WSW fans pre-WSW.

I would not be surprised to see Victory get 20k members, City 10k, and South 10k by 2020 if South are brought in.

belchardo
29-10-2014, 02:49 PM
A couple of years ago I predicted WSW crowd figures would be about 5000 and SFC figures would drop to 10000...Well I was wrong big time. However I don't think Brisbane can support 2 teams..Thoughts anyone? Also 2 questions for you Mr Grim: Do most Adelaide city fans support Adelaide United and do you think Adelaide could have 2 teams in the A-League (Would be interested to see a United - City FFA cup semi final).

Brisbane has a population of about 2 million. could easily sustain 2 teams, one in the Ipswich/Logan area, one in the city (the Roar).

Premy
29-10-2014, 04:45 PM
I have long pipe dreamed the idea of a 2 conference 2nd division divided by geography.

A-League
14 Clubs
Brisbane Roar
Western Pride
Newcastle Jets
Central Coast Mariners
Sydney FC
Western Sydney Wanderers
South Coast Wolves
Canberra United
Melbourne Victory
Melbourne City
Adelaide United
Perth Glory
Wellington Phoenix
Auckland City

A-League 2 -Northern Conference
10 Clubs
-Far North Queensland Heat (Cairns)
-Northern Fury (Townsville)
-Sunshine Coast Fire
-Brisbane Strikers
-Palm Beach Sharks (Gold Coast)
-Hunter Valley (Maitland)
-Manly United
-Sydney CBD?
-Sydney South?
-Sydney West?

A-League 2 -Southern Conference
10 Clubs
-Gippsland Falcons
-Ballarat Red Devils
-Mornington Peninsula? (Dandenong)
-South Melbourne
-Northern Melbourne? (Epping)
-Greater Geelong Galaxy
-Tasmania United
-Adelaide City
-West Adelaide
-Fremantle

Premy
29-10-2014, 04:48 PM
IMO the next two teams should be Wollongong and South Melbourne.Melbourne Knights would take legal action and take it to the courts of human rights if Hellas got in and not them.

Premy
29-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Full 20 min Lowy interview

http://m.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/aussie-multitier-system-a-matter-of-time-ffa-chairman-frank-lowy-tells-fox-sports/story-e6frf4gl-1227105952028

Bremsstrahlung
29-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Long way off it IMO.
I think expanding to a 2nd division promotion/relegation scenario, now, would be silly. I honestly cannot see it happening in the next 20 years.
The main reason being, I don't see the nation supporting a "second best" league. The same way Australians love the whole finals series. Just don't think joe blow is gonna go spend his hard earned watching "the second best" league.

Eventually, yes, it would be great to have it. But I do not think we are in a secure enough position even in the next 20. I do agree that we should be gradually expanding the league in areas that demand it, not just doing it willy nilly.Part of the strength of the league is the broader areas our teams represent. Expand, when we get to 20 odd teams then consider it.
I think a reasonable example would be the Super 14 Rugby in Aus. It's basically all the states, and the crowds they draw are decent. They introduced a Rugby Championship this year similar to an NRL kind of and it appears to be struggling. The obvious choices have already been touted, and generally agree with Premy and the teams put forward. Another QLD team, Wollongong, 2nd Adelaide team, another Melbourne team/Canberra.

Premy
29-10-2014, 06:01 PM
He didn't say it was going to happen now.

What he said was it will happen as that's what the governing bodies(AFC) want. ATM there is no pressure as the AFC know the situation and know it will take time but... The FFA can't be seen to be sitting on their hands and doing nothing, there will come a day where this will become a requirement.
I can see us going down the path of the J-League were you can progress so far on results but once you get to a certain height on the pyramid to progress further you will need to start fulfilling criteria and obtain the right on field results to progress.

At the moment in Japan you cannot be promoted from 3rd to 2nd division unless you fit the criteria for 1st division and gain the right on field results(finishing top 2). The criteria is things like Capital, A certain level of professionalism, sufficient stadia, sufficient academy, being majority Japanese owned etc. When the J-League started the JFA had a 100 year plan where they planed to have 100 professional Football clubs, that was in 1992, 20 years on and I think there's something like 60 professional Football clubs in Japan.

Skirt Boy
29-10-2014, 08:04 PM
I think it's doable now. Have a play off series/round robin tournament amongst the top side of each federation. Winner gets promoted. Bottom placed team in the A-league goes down.

There is nothing wrong with having certain qualification criteria in place like finances, suitable ground, and other facilities. Actually this could be the best way to expand after Canberra and Tasmania get teams.

Lets face it, we have promotion and relegation from the State Leagues all the way down to the lowest All Age.

MFKS
29-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Next teams in will be from Sydney and Melburn.

FFA love derbies and bringing in an extra Melburn team and Sydney team triple the amount of derbies.

Also these cities have the population base to sustain it.

Wollongong and Canberra may have claims but can not compete with the big city teams for a prospective success story for the FFA

The Dunster
30-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Owners will walk away if their team is relegated.
Players will insist that their contracts allow them to be released if their team is relegated.
As for the supporters of the relegated teams their interest in the league would diminish rapidly - much like supporters of NSL teams that were not a part of the A-league.
Overall, if any club was relegated from the A-League I'd say that they would be as good as buried and dead.

I wonder how long before the salary cap gets the flick and the teams in Melbourne and Sydney can completely dominate proceedings ?

parksey
30-10-2014, 02:13 PM
yeah i really don't like the idea of promotion and relegation in australia. it's not something we as a sporting nation are used to and i don't it's a disaster waiting to happen.

30-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Next teams in will be from Sydney and Melburn.

FFA love derbies and bringing in an extra Melburn team and Sydney team triple the amount of derbies.

Also these cities have the population base to sustain it.

Wollongong and Canberra may have claims but can not compete with the big city teams for a prospective success story for the FFA

My thoughts on this are they will attempt to bring in a Wollongong/South Coast Wolves side and somehow try and bundle it in with the Shire to get that axtra derby.

Being an old Wollongong Wolves supporter i just can't see the Wollongong/South Coast side of things welcoming some sort of team inclusive of the Sutherland Shire.

Grimario
30-10-2014, 04:34 PM
http://www.brisbaneroar.com.au/article/brisbane-roar-release-miller/nmawjlkx03qp1rb0w1c5s3ubq

Brisbane Roar has today confirmed Liam Miller’s departure from the club by mutual consent.
Miller, who joined the Queensland club in May 2013 and made 24 Hyundai A-League appearances for Brisbane Roar, has been granted an immediate release from the remainder of his contract to pursue other football opportunities.
Head Coach Mike Mulvey praised the Irishman’s contribution to the squad throughout the club’s Premiership and Championship-winning 2013/14 season.
“We brought Liam here to strengthen our squad and play good quality football – he was an integral part of our success as a squad last season and we thank him for his service to the club,” Mulvey said.
“It’s always disappointing to lose a player of Liam’s calibre but both player and club decided this was the best outcome. We wish him and his family all the best for his future.”
Miller scored three goals during his time with Brisbane Roar, including one against Melbourne Victory in January that was hailed as one of the best team goals ever seen in the Hyundai A-League.

Nailed on to be a Jets signing, surely?

belchardo
30-10-2014, 04:39 PM
http://www.brisbaneroar.com.au/article/brisbane-roar-release-miller/nmawjlkx03qp1rb0w1c5s3ubq

nah, will end up at Sydney now.

lquiquer
30-10-2014, 04:41 PM

For sure if we had room for a Visa player

Premy
30-10-2014, 04:52 PM
For sure if we had room for a Visa player
What's the rules on Visa players coming in on injury replacement? I seem to remember a few years back both Sydney and Perth had more than 5 Visa players at one stage.

Premy
30-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Maybe Johnny "love's the coke" Steele might get a release.

Tommyjet
30-10-2014, 05:56 PM

That was my first thought

30-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Miller has more poor games than he does good ones, no thanks.

Grimario
30-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Miller has more poor games than he does good ones, no thanks.

Exactly. Dead certain for us.

borat
30-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Well he has been left out of the squad for Perth so maybe this has some legs

lquiquer
30-10-2014, 08:56 PM
Well he has been left out of the squad for Perth so maybe this has some legs

1 week calf.......tut tut :slap:

GazFish35
30-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Fair bit of 1+1=3 in a few recent posts.

Can we please be careful of perpetuating whatever it is that may it may not be being perpetuated.

hawk
30-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Owners will walk away if their team is relegated.
Players will insist that their contracts allow them to be released if their team is relegated.
As for the supporters of the relegated teams their interest in the league would diminish rapidly - much like supporters of NSL teams that were not a part of the A-league.
Overall, if any club was relegated from the A-League I'd say that they would be as good as buried and dead.

I wonder how long before the salary cap gets the flick and the teams in Melbourne and Sydney can completely dominate proceedings ?

this.

So when we get relo'd. we would have a decent shot at the title, maybe.

Premy
30-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Fair bit of 1+1=3 in a few recent posts.

Can we please be careful of perpetuating whatever it is that may it may not be being perpetuated.
Someone has to do R.Dillion work for him

lil_masi
31-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Read a tweet last night saying: Mail out of Newcastle is that Jonny Steele is causing all sorts of problems within the camp

Bon
31-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Read a tweet last night saying: Mail out of Newcastle is that Jonny Steele is causing all sorts of problems within the camp

Yeah I saw that too on the main page..
But who is "Benny O'Neill" that tweeted it?? Or is it just more rumours that have been going around on the foz?

lquiquer
31-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Benny O'Neill is the MDT of CCM..... What the F&^%k does he care in our business :wanker:

GazFish35
31-10-2014, 11:23 AM
he plays some sort of media/interweb/interaction for the ccm.
he was behind the set up of the live streaming of pre-season games.

he could be leaking something, he could be shitstirring.

maybe we should all tweet "news oyut of gosford is that Hutcho is now eating all kinds on tuna."

belchardo
31-10-2014, 11:48 AM
he plays some sort of media/interweb/interaction for the ccm.
he was behind the set up of the live streaming of pre-season games.

he could be leaking something, he could be shitstirring.

maybe we should all tweet "news oyut of gosford is that Hutcho is now eating all kinds on tuna."

"mail out of Gosford is that hutcho is causing all kinds of grief at the club by insisting on Heinz tomato sauce"

Swifts
31-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Benny O'Neill is the MDT of CCM..... What the F&^%k does he care in our business :wanker:

He is also a Jets fan, so i'm sure he does care what is happening at our club.

Blackmac79
31-10-2014, 05:55 PM

Claims to be a jets fan.

lquiquer
31-10-2014, 07:17 PM

Jets fans don't work for Gypos

Jeterpool
31-10-2014, 07:38 PM
Jets fans don't work for Gypos

Maybe he's a mole?

MFKS
31-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Maybe he's a mole?

IF he is he is doing a shit job

GazFish35
03-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Not really news but looking at fixture list today.
Next three weeks.

Us
Home v victory on Saturday
Home v roar on Friday
Away v WSW on Saturday

WSW
Get home from curing cancer/aids/Ebola tonight.
Away v Wellington - Friday
Away v Perth - Saturday
Home v CCM - Wednesday
Home v Jets - Saturday.

Big old Phill better bring home three points from the red and black centre of the universe.

MFKS
03-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Not really news but looking at fixture list today.
Next three weeks.

Us
Home v victory on Saturday
Home v roar on Friday
Away v WSW on Saturday

WSW
Get home from curing cancer/aids/Ebola tonight.
Away v Wellington - Friday
Away v Perth - Saturday
Home v CCM - Wednesday
Home v Jets - Saturday.

Big old Phill better bring home three points from the red and black centre of the universe.

Don't know what you are worried about

We will most likely win our next 3 games.

Part of all that give false hope shit this club does to us.

Thomas477
03-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Nah, we'll show wsw respect and let them get off the bottom of the aleague. With us to replace them.

The Postman
03-11-2014, 10:44 PM

plague
03-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Claims to be a jets fan.

Will give him credit. He knew about the club signing Vigs months before any mofo round here did

plague
04-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Oh wait, I got them confused again didn't i? There's two of them right?

joel31
04-11-2014, 05:31 PM
not Australian but...
http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/041114-emile-heskey-takes-up-ambassadorial-role-with-leicester-city-2060998.aspx

Grimario
05-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Hoole off with Olyroos. Will definitely miss Roar game, may miss WSW game depending on when he returns/fitness/etc.

pv4
05-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Hoole off with Olyroos. Will definitely miss Roar game, may miss WSW game depending on when he returns/fitness/etc.

Roar will be without McKay due to international friendly, as well as Brown & Donachie due to Olyroos.

In that same round Victory will be without Milligan, Georgievski, Barbarouses, Galloway, Pain, Geria for their Sydney match.

BodyNovo
05-11-2014, 12:42 PM
although i prefer football every week, i think the HAL needs investigate adopting the international break, scheduling might be a prick, but even if it required a couple of midweek games it would not effect the quality of the game. that sydney melbourne game is going to be wrecked by this.

Jeterpool
05-11-2014, 12:43 PM
although i prefer football every week, i think the HAL needs investigate adopting the international break, scheduling might be a prick, but even if it required a couple of midweek games it would not effect the quality of the game. that sydney melbourne game is going to be wrecked by this.

I agree. it's at the point now where this needs to be considered.

Premy
05-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Dear Mr Srivaddhanaprabha hurry up and buy us.

Newcastle City Jet Foxes United

Grimario
05-11-2014, 05:18 PM
http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/article/technology-to-enhance-match-day-experience/19ljo8f15amvy17x8ws3h1v7f8

Technology to enhance Match Day Experience

Newcastle Jets Members will enjoy an enhanced match day experience with two new initiatives launched by the Club on Saturday evening when the team takes on the high-flying Melbourne Victory on a new playing surface at Hunter Stadium.
Thanks to major sponsor nib , Jets fans will be able to send good luck messages to the players and share their thoughts on the match via the Hunter Stadium big screen.
A selection of social media messages and fan photos posted on Twitter or Instagram using the Newcastle Jets tag @NewcastleJetsFC and the hashtag #nibJetsFan will be shared on the big screen throughout the match to allow fans to show their support for the team and to increase social media interaction amongst fans at the match.
For a chance to see yourself in your red, blue and gold on the stadium big screen be sure to include #nibJetsFan with your messages and photos on Saturday.
At half-time and full-time Jets fans will also get a greater insight into the match and how the Jets are performing with updates on key stats from the game.
The Match Stats Update powered by Ryan Ansell Investment Solutions will provide fans with updates including goals, shots, possession and pass accuracy via the stadium big screen and ground announcer.
A Mobile Video Games van will also be set up outside the entrance to the Western Grandstand, with four flat screen televisions and the latest video games including FIFA 15 available for Members and supporters to play before kick-off.
Jets fans both in the stadium and at home can keep up to date with all of the match action in the updated Hyundai A-League Match Centre on the Jets website or via the new Official Newcastle Jets Mobile App available via the iTunes App Store.

q-money
05-11-2014, 05:21 PM
winning a ****ing game would be a good initiative imo

GazFish35
05-11-2014, 05:51 PM
I like these initiatives to engage with the fanbase, but interestingly some stadiums are turning of wifi to stop fans spending the a whole game looking at their phone rather than the match. Don't think that'll be an issue here though, wifi got brought in European stadia to combat the demand for mobile signal causing no one to have access to anything.

Good that they've used it to hopefully drag some more cash out of a sponsor.

matty
06-11-2014, 05:30 AM
Just heard on the radio this morning johnny steele has indefinate leave from the club due to personal reasons. Odds on to sign liam miller now......

pv4
06-11-2014, 06:04 AM
Just heard on the radio this morning johnny steele has indefinate leave from the club due to personal reasons.

Don't say I didn't warn yall!

Couscous
06-11-2014, 07:08 AM
It was written in his tattoos. We should have read the signs.

hawk
06-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Grass being laid on Wednesday for game Saturday. Are you kidding me.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2677293/it-will-be-all-right-on-the-night/?cs=305#slide=1

Thomas477
06-11-2014, 11:19 AM

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2677293/it-will-be-all-right-on-the-night/?cs=305#slide=1

Cmon hawk, must realise now that everything involved with this club is a joke?

Thomas477
06-11-2014, 11:20 AM

Cmon hawk, must realise now that everything involved with this club is a joke?

hawk
06-11-2014, 05:49 PM
yes, the double post was needed. lols.

I do understand that this grass is supposedly lay'n'play but i think there will be bunkers and and holes in ones

furns
06-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Personally, I don't give a shit if its not quite right for a week or two. I would rather the job has been done properly and it takes a little longer than to cut corners to get it done quicker.
We know the major problem was the base clay layer and drainage system that was done cheaply and quickly fifteen years ago, and we have been paying for it since the league started.
It's been done properly, new base and drainage system and the right turf is finally being used so that it will stand up to the rigours of multi use activities.

plague
06-11-2014, 06:07 PM
I've got a feeling that none of my "messages of support" will make the big screen.

Tommyjet
06-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Personally, I don't give a shit if its not quite right for a week or two. I would rather the job has been done properly and it takes a little longer than to cut corners to get it done quicker.
We know the major problem was the base clay layer and drainage system that was done cheaply and quickly fifteen years ago, and we have been posting for it since the league started.
It's been done properly, new base and drainage system and the right turf is finally being used so that it will stand up to the rigours of multi use activities.

Spot on

Blackmac79
06-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Nah everything is shit

Beeen
06-11-2014, 07:06 PM
I've got a feeling that none of my "messages of support" will make the big screen.

Hopefully someone in the media team sees no harm in displaying "Muscat is a C. unt"

Footyhead
06-11-2014, 08:28 PM
We know the major problem was the base clay layer and drainage system that was done cheaply and quickly fifteen years ago, and we have been paying for it since the league started.
Even for Nitro Circus on March 21st ?

pv4
07-11-2014, 02:49 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/newcastle-jets/newcastle-jets-could-find-success-with-community-ownership-20141106-11hwuq.html

Newcastle Jets could find success with community ownership

Date November 7, 2014 - 8:28AM

Michael Cockerill

Nathan Tinkler is going, if he's not gone already. But out of the ashes of yet another frustrating failure for a town that deserves better might finally come the solution that's been there all along.

The football community won't own the Newcastle Jets, but chances are they'll eventually control the club. It's been a long time coming.

If there was ever a club crying out for people power, here it is. Newcastle has had four dips at professional football since 1978 - KB United, the Rosebuds, the Breakers and the Jets. All have floundered, not because of lack of support, but because of lack of capital.

For various reasons - the closure of the steelworks in the early 1980s severely impacted KB United while the collapse of the property market pushed Con Constantine to the wall - the city hasn't had deep enough pockets to survive the tough times.

At New Lambton, and Birmingham Gardens, there have been many memorable nights and bumper crowds, but the money has always run out. It's been a recurring theme.

We all hoped Tinkler would change that, but as we now know, it was a mirage. Never keen on the Jets in the first place, he wants out. Right now, though, it seems, no one wants to buy. Most likely the club will end up in FFA hands sooner rather than later, possibly before Christmas. What then?

On Saturday, the Jets play their first home game of the season after a month on the road. Based on memberships, which are hovering around 9000, the crowd at Hunter Stadium will pass the five-figure threshold.

Given the uncertainty that has been around since the end of last season, that's a remarkable demonstration of support. Confirmation, if ever it was needed, that Newcastle remains a genuine football town.

It's been that way, of course, since the start. Minmi Rangers, the town's first football club, was formed in 1884. There's a coterie of locals from the business community who call themselves the "Rangers Club of 1884" in recognition of that long and proud history.

And it's partly from the ranks of these football tragics that a new ownership model for the Jets is likely to emerge - a public/private partnership that could finally provide the stability that's been missing at the professional level for 36 emotionally draining years.

Whether the model is based on the Bundesliga's hugely admired 50+1 rule, or whether it mimicks the co-operative arrangement made so successful by the local Newcastle Permanent building society remains to be seen.

Either way, the Jets are on a course to become the first A-League club to be controlled by the football community, with the majority of directors to be drawn from the ranks of business men/women, fans, ex-players, and members, or all of the above.

These people will have a majority vote, without having to be investors. The money instead will come from a consortium, which will fund any shortfalls without being able to control the decisions.

Believe it or not, there seems to be plenty of backers willing to jump in - partly because a well-run Jets operation should go close to breaking even, but also because there's finally a realisation that the Jets will only be sustainable in the long-term if the community is an integral part of the equation.

You can't help but be excited by the possibility of unlocking Newcastle's huge potential.

If Tinkler finds a last-minute buyer, of course, all this is academic. But if the licence does end up in FFA hands, it's unlikely to stay that way for long.

Whitlam Square doesn't want to own clubs, and having backed away from a community-based model when Tinkler first threatened to walk away in 2012, the time has come for the FFA to bite the bullet.

If a decade of the A-League has taught the governors anything, it's that the single-owner model is fraught. In Newcastle, especially so.

Right now, with the team having accumulated just one point from 12, and the Tinkler administration more invisible by the day, it's a tough time to be a Jets fan.

The old-timers, of course, have been here before. Those who haven't should keep the faith. The Jets won't collapse. Far from it. More than likely they'll end up in better shape than ever.

A football club in a football town run by football people for the good of football. Why wouldn't it make sense?

q-money
07-11-2014, 03:05 PM
pull the other one cockerill, could you imagine if you let the lunatics run the asylum?

el presidente MFKS pulling the strings, zdenek zeman as coach...

actually lets do this

Blackmac79
07-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Take it from one who happens to have tried.

There is far too much self interest for it to work.

pv4
07-11-2014, 03:12 PM
pull the other one cockerill, could you imagine if you let the lunatics run the asylum?

actually lets do this

I would like to apply for the role of Kitman, which involves design, approval, etc of all things kit-related.

Blackmac79
07-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Nice to see cockerill admit the FFA were intentionally ignoring those of us trying for the community model in 2012.

Beeen
07-11-2014, 03:43 PM

actually lets do this

mmmmmyes?

pv4
07-11-2014, 03:46 PM
mmmmmyes?

Every Jets member is given a FC St Pauli flag.

hausmann
07-11-2014, 03:59 PM

actually lets do this

We've tried the other road. I think this would be possible but there would have to be some clear thinking about what is going to make it succeed. I'd invest in the club if I saw that the management group actually had an idea of how to run it properly, keep it financially strong, were not going to make stupid decisions straight off the bat like signing crippled players or paying coaches huge sums to get rid of them. They'd also have to show that they know how to form community and how not to alienate people.

The main problem I see is that anyone who wants to be in football administration has stars in their eyes, goes on a power trip and thinks they can treat the average person like shit. Humility has to be a key ingredient in any new incarnation of the club.

MFKS
07-11-2014, 04:14 PM
I would actually invest point blank. It is the right way ahead for us. Whether the fans have 5% or 50% is initially irrelevant as the amount can be expanded in time. The reality is the clubs should be owned in some part by the fans because after all we are the ones who will never walk away

Blackmac when you say self interest was involved exactly what are you referring to??

Beeen
07-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Every Jets member is given a FC St Pauli flag.

Probably a good idea yeah.

Blackmac79
07-11-2014, 05:55 PM
I would actually invest point blank. It is the right way ahead for us. Whether the fans have 5% or 50% is initially irrelevant as the amount can be expanded in time. The reality is the clubs should be owned in some part by the fans because after all we are the ones who will never walk away

Blackmac when you say self interest was involved exactly what are you referring to??

I am referring to blokes who think that because they have more coin than joe bloggs their opinion is worth more.

I am referring to people who would want to turn this "community model" into a profit exersice.

I met with one fantastic bloke who was willing to stump the cash up initially and turn the club into a true bundesliga community model owned 50/50 fans/corporate, but the FFA put him off ever getting involved again when I last spoke to him a year ago. I met a lot of people with the $$$ in their eyes that saw it as a chance to enhance their own endevours and enteprises.

Football shouldn't be a capitalist business, it should be a socialist assest.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for this to occur. I just, I was burnt, the people I was working with were burnt. I don't entirely trust the 1884 group, some of them I have spoken to have the "well your not involved in football so you don't know what your talking about" attitude. Again though, some of them really get it.

It can be done right, however the loudest voices are those that will do it wrong.

It has to be equal, we can't promote inequality.

GazFish35
07-11-2014, 06:20 PM
Humility has to be a key ingredient in any new incarnation of the club.

+100000000000000000000000000

Pico
07-11-2014, 06:24 PM
I would like to apply for the role of Kitman, which involves design, approval, etc of all things kit-related.

Your Honour I respectfully object...:rof:

GazFish35
07-11-2014, 06:27 PM
You can be his mac-jockey pico.

Tommyjet
07-11-2014, 06:31 PM
I am referring to blokes who think that because they have more coin than joe bloggs their opinion is worth more.

I am referring to people who would want to turn this "community model" into a profit exersice.

I met with one fantastic bloke who was willing to stump the cash up initially and turn the club into a true bundesliga community model owned 50/50 fans/corporate, but the FFA put him off ever getting involved again when I last spoke to him a year ago. I met a lot of people with the $$$ in their eyes that saw it as a chance to enhance their own endevours and enteprises.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for this to occur. I just, I was burnt, the people I was working with were burnt. I don't entirely trust the 1884 group, some of them I have spoken to have the "well your not involved in football so you don't know what your talking about" attitude. Again though, some of them really get it.

It can be done right, however the loudest voices are those that will do it wrong.

Is the 'fantastic bloke' that Andrew Poole fella?

plague
07-11-2014, 07:30 PM

Nowt getting any of my coin then comrade.
First AGM would be debating the Jets position on the Israel/Palestine conflict rather than signing a decent left back.

Thomas477
07-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Nowt getting any of my coin then comrade.
First AGM would be debating the Jets position on the Israel/Palestine conflict rather than signing a decent left back.

Thought first item on the agenda was getting the gold back, followed by Isis, Ebola then Israel/Palestine, followed by Ukriane and Russia?

Jeterpool
07-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Either way, no matter the discussion, it would all result in a vote for Sepp Blatter

GazFish35
07-11-2014, 09:31 PM
WSW have already solved all the worlds issues.

1. Gold
2. Left back
3. safe standing rail seats on south hill

MFKS
08-11-2014, 07:02 AM
FOOTBALL Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop has declared it is ‘‘hard to imagine’’ Newcastle not being part of the A-League but warned that FFA had no intention of funding the franchise if embattled owner Nathan Tinkler walked away.

‘‘It’s not in our plans to own the Jets or any other A-League team,’’ Gallop, pictured left, told the Newcastle Herald on Friday.

DAVID GALLOP
DAVID GALLOP

Tinkler announced in August he was planning to sell the Jets but, despite a delegation visiting England in September to talk with possible buyers, the club remains on the market.

The Herald reported last month that FFA was preparing to step in and assume control of the Jets if Tinkler could not continue meeting his obligations but Gallop said ‘‘we’re not at that stage with where things are at’’.

Gallop said FFA had been ‘‘in constant contact with the club and the current owner and his representatives’’ and that he understood negotiations were ongoing with ‘‘a number’’ of potential buyers.

He said FFA’s preferred scenario was for Tinkler’s management to ‘‘transition themselves out of this period relatively quickly’’ but cast doubt on the prospect of the governing body stepping in to run the Jets, even for an interim period, as the NRL did when Tinkler was ousted as Newcastle Knights owner in June.

‘‘There’s no doubt Nathan’s investment in the club has been critical and we certainly acknowledge that,’’ Gallop said.

‘‘And we’re doing what we can to assist. But similarly it’s not our place to find an owner for the club at this stage.

‘‘We don’t want to own A-League clubs, full-stop.’’

Gallop offered a partial reassurance to fans – but not an iron-clad guarantee – that the Jets would survive post-Tinkler.

‘‘With the huge participation base, the incredible passion for football and the long history of the game in the Hunter, it’s hard to imagine a scenario where Newcastle isn’t part of the national competition,’’ he said.

He described the Hunter as ‘‘one of the heartlands of football’’, as evidenced by the Jets signing 9000 members despite missing the finals four years in a row.

‘‘Whatever emerges in Newcastle, we want to see strong community engagement,’’ Gallop said.

‘‘It’s one of Newcastle’s strengths, and making sure the good co-operation between the grassroots through the member federation and the Jets continues will be part of the future in Newcastle.’’

When Tinkler was forced to relinquish the Knights, the NRL uncovered liabilities approaching $20million after it commissioned a forensic audit.

Gallop said FFA had a good insight into the Jets’ financial position but declined to reveal if the club was debt-ridden.

Asked if FFA was subsidising the Jets, or if the club had been paying its own bills, Gallop replied: ‘‘It’s not appropriate to disclose all the arrangements that are in place, other than to say we’ve got good visibility over what is going on up there.

‘‘We’re satisfied there are resources to keep the team and the club going, at the moment.’’

When asked to clarify if those ‘‘resources’’ were provided by the club, Gallop answered: ‘‘I know you’re pushing me on that, but I’m not going to say any more than that.’’

Gallop said it was not fair to compare the positions of the Knights and the Jets under Tinkler’s ownership.

‘‘This isn’t necessarily an apples for apples situation,’’ he said.

‘‘The Knights had a membership base sitting in wait should the private owner default.’’

After Tinkler’s recent appearance before the ICAC, where he was accused of attempting to bribe former Minister for the Hunter, Jodi McKay, and of making donations to illegal political slush funds, the findings will be made public in January.

Asked whether adverse findings against Tinkler would constitute bringing the game of football into disrepute, Gallop replied: ‘‘We’re certainly not going to speculate about anything to do with ICAC at this point.’’

lquiquer
09-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Newcastle Permanent Add under Gypos TiFo!!!!..... 895

hawk
09-11-2014, 05:29 PM
The main problem I see is that anyone who wants to be in football administration has stars in their eyes, goes on a power trip and thinks they can treat the average person like shit. Humility has to be a key ingredient in any new incarnation of the club.

Sounds like a couple of the squad atm. we know who they are.

q-money
10-11-2014, 09:53 AM
https://twitter.com/craigkerry77/status/531579071780495360/photo/1

tagz back at newy training, holy shit

probz just getting ready to go to city or something

furns
10-11-2014, 02:42 PM
He is getting treatment in Newy, will be back in UK in a few weeks.

hawk
10-11-2014, 11:21 PM
FOOTBALL Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop has declared it is ‘‘hard to imagine’’ Newcastle not being part of the A-League but warned that FFA had no intention of funding the franchise if embattled owner Nathan Tinkler walked away.

‘‘It’s not in our plans to own the Jets or any other A-League team,’’ Gallop, pictured left, told the Newcastle Herald on Friday.

ok. Gallop just arrives in this game from a**hole land and immediately says ffa wont back the Jets after it has backed most other clubs over the last 10 yrs
when they were down to their last million. c**t he turned out to be.

sammydog
11-11-2014, 06:56 AM
It doesn't say they won't back us, they will.

They are saying it's not in their plans. Their plan will be to have a new owner but they won't let us fold.

hausmann
11-11-2014, 09:52 AM
Yeah, you can't really believe anything anyone says in the media about ownership. Gallop simply can't say anything about wanting to own it as long as Tinkler is still footing the bill and looking for a buyer. To do so would compromise his ability to sell.

hausmann
11-11-2014, 09:59 AM

I'd ask you to not give up hope, people get trodden all over in football all the time. It is those that can get up and keep going that succeed.

Having said that, I don't see how the "socialist asset" model really applies. Football at its core is partly about community representation and partly about winning, survival of the fittest. It has voluntary participation, so you can't say that the rich have to subsidise the poor. Neither can you say that we each give an equal share, or there won't be enough money to fund a decent club. I think that each should be prepared to invest according to their passion and means but not as a gift to those who can't, there should be some ownership rights. That's why I'd prefer a public listing, so there were tradeable shares. I wouldn't want people to be excluded from investing because they are not in a certain elite clique, and I wouldn't want it to be purely membership based where people who can afford to invest more and want to invest more are limited to a single membership.

MFKS
12-11-2014, 07:20 AM
FORMER Socceroo Adrian Madaschi is confident his presence can reinforce the Newcastle Jets but insists any defensive transformation will require a team effort.

The towering central defender, capped five times by Australia, has declared himself available to make his Jets debut against Brisbane at Hunter Stadium on Friday night after missing the first five rounds with calf and thigh injuries.

In his absence, Newcastle have conceded 10 goals and are yet to register a clean sheet in their three losses and two draws.

Madaschi, 32, believes he can enhance Newcastle’s defensive structure with his experience but said it would be up to coach Phil Stubbins whether he was selected.

‘‘You’ve always got to back yourself to make an input but the important thing is the team isn’t about an individual,’’ Madaschi said.

‘‘It’s about taking on the ideas of the 14 players available and putting them together with what the coach is wanting, to make that work as best as possible.

‘‘Football is a game about who makes the least mistakes ... defending is a collective idea – 11 players defend and 11 players attack.’’

Having played abroad in Italy, Scotland and South Korea, Madaschi’s only A-League experience was a nine-game stint with Melbourne Heart in 2011-12.

He was starting to find his feet in Newcastle’s pre-season trials but has spent almost three months working his way back to full fitness.

‘‘It has been very frustrating,’’ he said.

‘‘I’ve had these little niggles in my calf and my quad, unfortunately when I was pretty much one week out from the start of the season.

‘‘That was a big setback because I really wanted to get going and give what I could to the team ... but I really hope that’s the end of it and I can make my contribution.’’

Newcastle’s results have added to his frustration but Madaschi was realistic about the slow start to the season.

‘‘We’re a new group, as Phil’s already stated,’’ he said. ‘‘There are a lot of new players, new coach, new coaching methods, new mentality.

‘‘We’re still putting pieces together and it’s going to take time.

‘‘We’re working on it. We’re aware of the mistakes we’re making and we’re trying to correct them.

‘‘As we go forward in the competition, things will keep gelling and we’ll be able to hold onto leads and see where we’ve made the mistakes in the past and definitely rectify them.’’

The 190-centimetre stopper said he was ‘‘100per cent and feeling good’’ after two weeks of full-contact training.

‘‘It’s all down to the gaffer and how he sees it, as it should be, but I am available and fit and ready to go,’’ Madaschi said.

The likely return of Madaschi, and a groin injury to Scott Neville, could prompt a backline reshuffle in which skipper Kew Jaliens switches to right back.

‘‘It depends a little bit on Scotty, how he’s getting through, but for me it doesn’t make a big difference,’’ Jaliens said.

‘‘I’ve played there [right back] many times in my career, so if this is the position I have to play on Friday, I will.’’

The inclusion of former Melbourne Victory midfielder Billy Celeski, who like Madaschi is yet to play an A-League game since joining the Jets because of injury, is the other expected change to Newcastle’s line-up.

‘‘They look ready but a game is always different from training,’’ Jaliens said of Celeski and Madaschi.

‘‘So it’s difficult to see how game-ready they are, but they look sharp and eager to play.

‘‘We’ll see what the gaffer decides.’’

Hopefully this bloke lives up to the hype and we get a decent Central defender for once

pv4
12-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Hopefully this bloke lives up to the hype and we get a decent Central defender for once

What do you mean for once?

We've had some of the best CBs in the comp IMO.

GazFish35
12-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Griff would boss CB too.

Tommyjet
12-11-2014, 09:12 AM
The addition of madaschi and celeski should in theory give us more options playing it out from the back as both very good on the ball but gonna need to be smarter with it when it gets forward and limit the quick turnovers more that lead to getting caught on the counter.

leftrightout
12-11-2014, 09:24 AM

This...
Its one position our club has done well at. Zelic, Okon, Dura, North, Ljubo, NTS, Jaliens all players every A-league would love to have or loved after we had them!

MFKS
12-11-2014, 09:27 AM

Remind us when we had a team who kept clean sheets??
Remind us again of how long it has been since we made the semis??
Remind us again of how long it has been since we were actually serious contenders for the title??

Generally this is the type of thing achieved with good solid centre halves doing their job

leftrightout
12-11-2014, 09:29 AM
I didnt realise CBs were the only ones who stopped goals....

pv4
12-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Remind us when we had a team who kept clean sheets??
Remind us again of how long it has been since we made the semis??
Remind us again of how long it has been since we were actually serious contenders for the title??

Generally this is the type of thing achieved with good solid centre halves doing their job

Our team kept clean sheets in a period before Michael Bridges was signed to the club.
We last made the semis just before Michael Bridges was handed the captains armband.
We were serious contenders before Michael Bridges was signed to the club.

Whilst I normally agree that CBs are a big part of this, I also contribute us leaking so many goals to our attacking setup and apparent refusal to retain possession. No matter how good your defence is, if your attack is turning the ball over for fun then the sustained pressure that the opposition puts on you from having the ball is going to lead to goals leaked.

Look at Josh Mitchell - I always rated him, but many didn't. I always said it was GVE's system, and the lack of options for him to play out to plus the constant possession turnover and hence unwarranted and constant pressure put on our defence from the opposition that made him look bad. We'd give the ball to Bridges/Virgili/etc and they'd just turn the ball over for fun, and we'd be on the back foot all game. And when the likes of Taggz would leave his wide attacking position (he was playing a lot more LM/RM back then) to come get the ball and offer an outlet for the CBs, GVE would scream at him that he wasn't behind the oppositions RB/LB and hence useless to his formation/vision/system/etc. Hence why Virgili was so loved by GVE - because Virgili has no issue being a missing man, in behind defences where there's slim-to-none way he's getting the ball. And then Zane took over coaching, went to 4-4-2, put Carney and Griff out wide, we actually retained the ball, and people started to absolutely rave about Josh Mitchell.

q-money
12-11-2014, 10:54 AM
people meaning you, i have never heard anyone ever rave about josh mitchell

(i like him but that's beside the point)

GazFish35
12-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Good defence comes down to four spots, 2 CB's a DM and GK.
we've struggled to have all four spots filled by good players all at once.

Grimario
12-11-2014, 11:29 AM

I've never raved about Mitchell but always thought he was a fairly excellent defender, caught out by being the wrong player in the wrong team. He was basically Topor-Stanley but local. If he had buggered off to WSW, he'd be off in the Socceroos and be an Asian Champion.

pv4
12-11-2014, 11:30 AM

Sorry m8 did I say "rave about"? I meant "rave with"

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lih4vwSBEg1qzaxefo1_250.gif

Grimario
12-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Good defnce come down to four spots, 2 CB's a DM and GK.
we've struggled to have all four spots filled by good players all at once.

No blame on our fullbacks who are eternally out of position when our shambolic midfield when they turn it over? Obviously that's a tactical thing but I don't recall Ritter being caught as horribly out of position as Carney/Gallaway/Gallager/witches hat?

MFKS
12-11-2014, 11:54 AM
No blame on our fullbacks who are eternally out of position when our shambolic midfield when they turn it over? Obviously that's a tactical thing but I don't recall Ritter being caught as horribly out of position as Carney/Gallaway/Gallager/witches hat?

I take offence about this claim Carney was caught out of position.

Considering he was never in position of left back other than on the pre game graphic on Fox Sports he can't be accused of actually being caught out

WolfMan
12-11-2014, 12:03 PM

I'll play - I thought Mitchell was coming into his own and warranted a new deal.

GazFish35
12-11-2014, 12:05 PM

hah no, im not saying you dont need goods fullbacks, that id priortise those four spots ahead of the fullbacks if i was building a squad.
Full backs are interchangable.

Just clone Griff FFS

pv4
14-11-2014, 07:40 AM
Brisbane Roar chairman Chris Fong wants to give supporters a stake in the defending A-League champion, with a plan to sell 30 per cent of the club to fans within two years.

With a 30 per cent sale of Melbourne Victory ratified this week to existing shareholders – chairman Anthony Di Pietro and director Mario Biasin – Fong's preferred model would see fans' groups acquire a stake in Brisbane Roar.

Brisbane has won three of the past four A-league championships but has suffered a horror start to the 2014-2015 season with four straight losses.

"We need to get the fan base up a little bit over the next couple of years and then I would like to see us make 30 per cent of the club available for supporters," said Fong.

"The plan would be to reinvest that money directly back into the club and the team to help us grow and provide greater sustainability.

"As a club, we are not looking to make money – though that would be nice – but we, as owners, all want to be in a position where we can break even at some stage.

"It's about ploughing it back into the club and we are determined to try and give supporters a stake."

Under the Indonesian-based Bakrie Group, which bought the club 21 months ago, memberships have jumped from 1800 to more than 11,000.

"That's a remarkable increase," said Fong. "Back then we had a training facility [Ballymore], which was the home of rugby union and now we have just moved into our own facility in the centre of town.

"The last couple of years we have lost about $2 million a year, but that's down to around $1.5 million now.

"We have a strong commercial approach and are treating it as a business and are starting to see the rewards from that. There's a passion and there's a love there for Brisbane and what we are doing."

With a turnover in the region of $14 million, Roar’s bite into the balance sheet of the Bakrie Group conglomerate is minor.

But the multi-billion-dollar mining-to-telecoms group is not immune from the squalls of the global markets and is currently negotiating with creditors over $8 billion in debts.

Its core coal business has taken a dive with global prices plunging from a high of $195 a tonne to just $65.

"Like most A-League owners we are also under pressure," added Fong. "When coal prices drop by more than 50 per cent in five years or so there is not much spare cash to go around."

The group has also divested itself of its interests in Uruguay, where it had a football school, as well as selling off Belgium second-tier club CS Vise.

"We have been realigning our strategies to strengthen what we have with Brisbane and also in Indonesia [with Arema Cronus]," added Fong.

"We have close ties with [Indonesian billionaire] Erik Thohir [who has a 70 per cent stake in Inter Milan] and we are looking at linking things up and sharing resources and possibly players."

Those links are set to include taking a percentage of the ownership of the Nerazzurri.

Fong also declared that Roar would look offshore for its next head coach as incumbent Mike Mulvey feels the heat from its poor start.

"It’s a path we are heading down. It's going to happen one day and we'll probably do it … when that will be, in the next couple of years or not, I am not sure.

"But there is the same pool of coaches in Australia and there's a lot of talent we want to tap into in Europe and we have a lot of contacts there.

"Mike has come in and done all right in the last season and a half and led us to the premiership and championship last season – you can’t take credit away from that.

"He might still be here in five years - but eventually we'll see a coach from Europe.

"You have clubs with long-standing development programs there and the way to go for us to go is to develop young players and sell them."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/11/13/plan-fans-score-part-ownership-roar?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Roar looking to jump in on the community ownership thing, similar to what Victory have just done.

Just say we had a stable owner, who then listed 30% of the club to the community, and say you could buy shares for $500 or more, similar to Victory. Who would and wouldn't be interested in this?

plague
14-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Club board should be made up as 33% private ownership group, 33% sponsors representatives and 33% supporter shareholders.

That's some Stevie Wonder Paul McCartney shit right there kids.

GazFish35
14-11-2014, 08:23 AM
I'd buy in at $500

pv4
14-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Your Honour I respectfully object...:rof:

m8 I was going to employ you as my first order of business.

De-Champ
14-11-2014, 09:07 AM
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/11/13/plan-fans-score-part-ownership-roar?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Roar looking to jump in on the community ownership thing, similar to what Victory have just done.

Just say we had a stable owner, who then listed 30% of the club to the community, and say you could buy shares for $500 or more, similar to Victory. Who would and wouldn't be interested in this?

Victory are not offering shares to the public. DiPeitro and Biasin have bought out Beltacky and Stata.... whatever their names are.

pv4
14-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Victory are not offering shares to the public. DiPeitro and Biasin have bought out Beltacky and Stata.... whatever their names are.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/fans-offered-to-buy-stake-in-melbourne-victory-with-a-stake-going-for-as-little-as-500/story-fnii0fc4-1227077084872?nk=fb9f1c58b989086796b0e9c80c14a5cf

A slice of Melbourne Victory is for sale with doors open to everyday fans to buy a stake in the club, for as little as $500.

De-Champ
14-11-2014, 10:49 AM
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/fans-offered-to-buy-stake-in-melbourne-victory-with-a-stake-going-for-as-little-as-500/story-fnii0fc4-1227077084872?nk=fb9f1c58b989086796b0e9c80c14a5cf

That has been disbanded (for want of a better term) That was originally the plan, but since then, the two original sharheolders have sold out their holdings to Biasin and Di Pietro.

q-money
14-11-2014, 11:02 AM
good way to pump up the value of your shares by threatening to sell them to chumps that might want to buy them

pv4
14-11-2014, 11:07 AM
good way to pump up the value of your shares by threatening to sell them to chumps that might want to buy them

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2014/1/15/1389807647539/The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street-014.jpg

De-Champ
14-11-2014, 11:22 AM

Interestingly they paid less per share than what was offered to the public.

parksey
14-11-2014, 04:17 PM
what fools! they're not going to make money that way!