PDA

View Full Version : 2014 NEW FM League Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

boz-monaut
03-01-2014, 08:58 AM
2014 NEW FM League Thread

Imyourhero
03-01-2014, 11:04 AM
My early early early predictions for top 4.
Maitland
Valentine
Belswans
West Wallsend

One of those years where anything can happen considering all the changes to coaching etc
Will be eventfull and entertaining i believe.

Newy
09-01-2014, 03:58 PM
How are the teams looking??

Ive heard Thornton have signed a few and Valentine kept all their players?

Zico
09-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Who have Thornton signed?
VPFC had nothing last season in NBN and I doubt they will be much other than top 4 at best in NEWFM.

Imyourhero
09-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Id speculate that Thornton are likely to have picked up players who have moved on from other clubs, with all the NPL changes + also alot of changes to coaches among clubs id say there would be alot of players on the move.

Bremsstrahlung
09-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Maitland
Belswans
Thornton
Westy

Imyourhero
09-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Thornton really should have applied for an NPL licence, thats the only thing that may stop quality players from coming/staying in future years

seldom
10-01-2014, 01:18 AM
Who have Thornton signed?
VPFC had nothing last season in NBN and I doubt they will be much other than top 4 at best in NEWFM.

Big diff between nbn and newfm. Valo will go close

Zico
10-01-2014, 01:39 PM
I realise that mate but they need to pick up a few to be close to Maitland and Belswans

EH9
10-01-2014, 05:01 PM

Agreed. Maitland should win it, but Valentine would be expecting top 2.

pv4
10-01-2014, 11:01 PM
So have Phoenix kept all of their players from last season?

JCBT
12-01-2014, 09:50 AM
I've heard Matt Toohey is playing at Maitland? Can anybody confirm this?

NewFM 2014
13-01-2014, 10:34 AM
My early prediction is Valo - seen them play ok in NBN last year and if they have held onto most of squad as suggested they will be favourites.

Also Belswans everyone was talking about lat season should be strong and I here they have signed a few Central Coast players who were at Jaffas last year.

Maitland were close last year and have a good team and go close every year and will be interesting to see how they are as I believe there new coach has brought some quality in from NBN clubs.

West Wallsend I am tld are in all sorts and will be weak again

Thornton will be interesting and have a good coach although I dont consider them a contender they should make finals.

For me

1. Valo
2. Maitland
3. Belswans
4. Thornton

Playitonthedeck
13-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Thought westy were meant to have recruited a few ? This not true any one know
Maitland will surely walk the comp in

Sideline
17-01-2014, 12:10 PM
^^^ u would like to think they would with all the offseason signings but anything can happen they have managed to slip up the last few years

curious_fan
17-01-2014, 10:21 PM
Thought westy were meant to have recruited a few ? This not true any one know
Maitland will surely walk the comp in

I'd expect about the same as most clubs, they lost Trent (young red headed midfielder) to Weston U22's, one semi regular to the money at Singleton and one to Barnsley. Blake Glennie retired but I really thought he was disappointing last season anyway and the younger keeper to Adamstown.

Pre season starts in full flight this coming Tuesday but prior to xmas they had six or seven new players joining in for a kick on Wednesdays.

Playitonthedeck
18-01-2014, 01:36 PM
I'd expect about the same as most clubs, they lost Trent (young red headed midfielder) to Weston U22's, one semi regular to the money at Singleton and one to Barnsley. Blake Glennie retired but I really thought he was disappointing last season anyway and the younger keeper to Adamstown.

Pre season starts in full flight this coming Tuesday but prior to xmas they had six or seven new players joining in for a kick on Wednesdays.

Young Trent big loss he is quality good to see him go to state league but his good enough, glennie won't really be a loss I think from what I heard had a lot of run ins with players at club

Livefootball
19-01-2014, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't put West Wallsend in my top 4 lots loads of players... My top 4 would be..
Valentine
Belswans
Toronto
Maitland
Think Toronto will be strong this season 2 new coaches and heap new faces and old faces....

NewyTy
19-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Don't know too much about the other teams but Maitland were pretty impressive today at the 5-a-side. Don't know if they were 1st grade players but they did pretty well.

Reds Forever
19-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Don't know too much about the other teams but Maitland were pretty impressive today at the 5-a-side. Don't know if they were 1st grade players but they did pretty well.

Have been trying to find results online.

What were results in 1st grade?

NewyTy
19-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Lake Mac beat Maitland in the Final 3-2. Maitland led 2-0 at one stage. Edgeworth and South Cardiff (I think) knocked out in the Semis.

Mitchy
19-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Maitland results yesterday

4-4 with south Cardiff
3-2 loss against Lake Macquarie
4-3 win against lambton
4-3 win against Weston

Today
Semi final 2-0 over A'town
Final 3-2 loss vs lake mac

Imyourhero
19-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Maitland are there own worst enemy most years, dropping points at important times of seasons

namwob99
19-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Maitland are there own worst enemy most years, dropping points at important times of seasons

Surely will win it this year now all the good teams have gone up.

Imyourhero
19-01-2014, 09:29 PM
its time like these the good teams fail

NewFM 2014
22-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Think people might be writing Valentine of a bit easily ? Who have Maitland signed that makes them favourites this season - and have they lost anyone ?

Valentine keep all there players from NBN last year I believe so gonna be dangerous in this level surely ?

I did see Maitland made final of 5s comp - most impressive and great advert for NewFM league so well done Maitland ... Anyone know why it was Maitland invited and not Valentine ?

Winner1
30-01-2014, 05:14 PM
There is a reason Valentine were relegated...they struggled in NBN and from watching their games they will struggle against the likes of Maitland and Belswans. Maitland have always had very strong sides but lost silly matches which cost them valuable points. Valentine have lost a few and Maitland have gained a few of Adamstown's stronger players.

They smashed it in the 5s with players needed the run because of injury or just coming back into the season. Valentine weren't invited because Northern has recognised them as a strong club and they proved that out there.

Think people might be writing Valentine of a bit easily ? Who have Maitland signed that makes them favourites this season - and have they lost anyone ?

Valentine keep all there players from NBN last year I believe so gonna be dangerous in this level surely ?

I did see Maitland made final of 5s comp - most impressive and great advert for NewFM league so well done Maitland ... Anyone know why it was Maitland invited and not Valentine ?

seldom
30-01-2014, 09:14 PM
They smashed it in the 5s with players needed the run because of injury or just coming back into the season. Valentine weren't invited because Northern has recognised them as a strong club and they proved that out there.

Aye ?

ForeverRed
31-01-2014, 06:41 AM
5s had nothing to do with northern

gk1985
07-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Hi all,

Just curious if anyone knows the date NewFM kicks off its season.... seems NNSWF hasn't got any details on it.

Cheers

ForeverRed
07-02-2014, 11:04 AM
The draws on the NNSWF website

gk1985
07-02-2014, 12:13 PM
The draws on the NNSWF website

I must be blind mate..... not seeing it

Imyourhero
07-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Starts March 22/23, mate.

gk1985
07-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Starts March 22/23, mate.

legend cheers!

The Postman
07-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Round 1

Saturday 22 March
Cessnock City FC V Singleton SC
Turner Park 1 2.30pm

Saturday 22 March
West Wallsend SFC V Valentine FC
Johnston Park 2.30pm

Sunday 23 March
Maitland FC V Thornton Redbacks FC
Cooks Square Park 2.30pm

Sunday 23 March
Toronto Awaba FC V Belmont Swansea Utd SC
Lyall Peacock Field 2.30pm

Playitonthedeck
07-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Know it's only early in pre season but heard westy got bit of a touch up on weekend from a side from central coast? If true smithy could be in for a long year least shalmanovs blows will keep crowd entertained of his still there

NewFM 2014
14-02-2014, 04:01 PM
any newfm clubs got games this weekend ?

The Postman
15-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Morisset are playing the Stags at Lyall Peacock on Saturday the 15th

19s - 11am
23s - 1pm
1sts - 3pm

They are playing for the annual Mikhail de Bastos Memorial Shield

Turks
15-02-2014, 03:29 AM
Valentine play Lakes on Sunday at valo 3:30

Jardelsimage
17-02-2014, 07:38 AM
Cardiff v Singo yesterday.
Cardiff won 6-2 1st grade
singo won 4-2??? ressie
Heard Singo are paying some big money, I think they should ask for a refund.........

NewFM 2014
17-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Valo 3 - Lakes 3

Good game considering conditions , well done to both teams

sancho_theswan
21-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Believe the annual BelSwans v's Dudley Shield games are on this weekend at "Beautiful Blacksmiths". Always a great day with great blokes from both clubs. Will have to "shine the nest" on Sunday for the imminent arrival of those Dudley "lads".

ForeverRed
21-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Looking forward to the swans playing their sister club phoenix this year, only jokes sancho

Zico
21-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Looking forward to the swans playing their sister club phoenix this year, only jokes sancho
I was told they were joining as 1 club lol. God that rumour did the rounds :roflz:

Zico
21-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Wtf is going on at Westy? I just read this on the NNSWF website http://www.northernnswfootball.com.au/index.php?id=3

ForeverRed
21-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Currently looking for a new coach, hopefully they regroup and get back to the bluebells of old,

Playitonthedeck
21-02-2014, 08:55 PM
So smithy has gone? Big problems blue bells hope they can turn it around

The Postman
22-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Westy couldn't fill 3 teams today against Toronto today???

19s was called off, just 23s and 1st Grade played.

Toronto won both, 1-0 and 3-0 I'm told, apparently could have been a lot more.

Football lover
23-02-2014, 11:15 PM
So
Greg smith has left ? Hahaha

Turks
24-02-2014, 12:31 AM
Valentine beat lambton 1-0 on Saturday. Looked strong

NewFM 2014
24-02-2014, 08:28 AM
Great result for Valo against a almost full Jaffas and will give confidence for season ahead - however can I ask people's views on the following

not sure what valo can take from the game as it was pretty much nine behind the ball and only a striker left up too to chase nothing all game

Don't get me wrong its shows can with stand pressure from a top team but is getting a result really that important in a trial game that you set our to just defend in a trial game and forfeit trying stuff out going forward ?

Just my thoughts

EH9
24-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Depends on what your philosophy is on what trial games are for.

My thoughts are that they are for trying things to test if they will work in preparation for using them in the season when it matters.

NewFM 2014
24-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Depends on what your philosophy is on what trial games are for.

My thoughts are that they are for trying things to test if they will work in preparation for using them in the season when it matters.

Yeh kind of my thoughts as well . I guess if the trial was to determine how much the back four can take then great it worked but who in this comp is going to give a game like Jaffas did ?

Valo I feel got more of an idea of the ability of the players against lakes the week previous where they actually took part in the game rather than what happened on saturday against Jaffas.

Did anyone else from NewFM play this weekend ? Jaffas have Maitland this week I think.

Zeus
24-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Saw this game, I would be filthy If I was Jaffas. You play trial games to work on shape and how you want to play in the season.
If Valo play like that they will be drawing every game 0-0.
They got a goal early after Alex Palotsi was checked and the ref didn't see it!
Whoever said Valo looks strong is off their head. They sat with 5 across the 18 yard box, 4 in front of them and some Scottish bloke up front chasing Shite all day.
I never saw Valo not even once have possession in their attacking 3rd.
The Jaffas had the ball for 95% of the game, and had what seemed like 30 shots to Valentines 3.
The guy from the jets with the blonde hair for Jaffas missed 3 one on ones, John Maj had a bomb tipped over by the keeper and missed a sitter from 6 yards, Palotsi missed an open goal, dino Faj should have had 3, and they also missed an open goal.
I know who would be happier of the 2 teams about they way they played. Jaffas moved the ball well and some passing passages between Macpherson Maj and Jobe were Brilliant.

I don't think Valo will get too many more trial games after that one from NBN teams next year.
My mail was that they got a touch up from Olympic and didn't want t o concede any for confidence so so they sat back all game.

They did defend well, but of you are not going to move 5 guys from the 18 yard line all game, your not going to win many, they wouldn't have strung more then 3 passes together all game, and were totally outplayed the whole game!
It was like watching the Chelsea Westham 0-0 game, Chelsea through everything at them but the ball just wouldn't go in.
Valo will need a good ball session to know what its like to have the ball at your feet rather than defend for 89 mins!

Jaffas will be loving this result and will play down their chances of doing well like they did last year to take the pressure off them!

leftrightout
24-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Yeh kind of my thoughts as well . I guess if the trial was to determine how much the back four can take then great it worked but who in this comp is going to give a game like Jaffas did ?

Valo I feel got more of an idea of the ability of the players against lakes the week previous where they actually took part in the game rather than what happened on saturday against Jaffas.

Did anyone else from NewFM play this weekend ? Jaffas have Maitland this week I think.

Cessnock were beaten 4-2 by Barnsley yesterday afternoon

NewFM 2014
25-02-2014, 03:52 PM
What is going on at Toronto and Cessnock and Westy ? heard they are taking batterings in trial games against lower grades ? Not that pre-season scores mean everything but bloody hell , a poor Cessnock , poor toronto and poor westy just make this league even more of a joke than it currently is.

Again flames the debate for criteria to be relaxed to let quality ZPL teams in the door.

Valo must be gutted that they are in this comp this season and will be now be making extra sure they get out first time.

hotspur1
25-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Don't forget Thornton they were belted 5-1 by Mayfield on the weekend, it is what it is a second rate league. How this division can be a serious stepping stone to NPL is beyond me.

United
25-02-2014, 04:59 PM
What is going on at Toronto and Cessnock and Westy ? heard they are taking batterings in trial games against lower grades ? Not that pre-season scores mean everything but bloody hell , a poor Cessnock , poor toronto and poor westy just make this league even more of a joke than it currently is.

Again flames the debate for criteria to be relaxed to let quality ZPL teams in the door.

Valo must be gutted that they are in this comp this season and will be now be making extra sure they get out first time.

Word is Westy are gone. Will be a bye

pv4
25-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Who have toronto lost to, NEWFM 2014?

The Magician
25-02-2014, 05:08 PM

Wow... absolute shame

pv4
25-02-2014, 05:13 PM

The fixtures section of the State Cup website lists both Valentine and Edgy as having a bye. Edgy were drawn to play Westy.

Zico
25-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Why not bring up an ID Prem side?

United
25-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Yep couldn't agree more. Love Westy or hate them they have been a great club. Crossed paths with them for more years than I can count. Always have been great contests and sportmanship. The criteria is an absolute joke. NNSW couldn't care less because its all about their precious State comp. Elam is a complete tool. Every so often some so called genius decides to revamp the whole comp. Once it was firsts and youth. Then came the Port Macquarie team and now this. They are never smart enough at NNSW to see that its about social/competative and always has been. If they want development to A-League. Leave it to the emerging Jets and their crap

Imyourhero
25-02-2014, 07:47 PM
who gives a crap about trial games, honestly?

ForeverRed
25-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Yep couldn't agree more. Love Westy or hate them they have been a great club. Crossed paths with them for more years than I can count. Always have been great contests and sportmanship. The criteria is an absolute joke. NNSW couldn't care less because its all about their precious State comp. Elam is a complete tool. Every so often some so called genius decides to revamp the whole comp. Once it was firsts and youth. Then came the Port Macquarie team and now this. They are never smart enough at NNSW to see that its about social/competative and always has been. If they want development to A-League. Leave it to the emerging Jets and their crap

????

wannabe
25-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Any scores from Maitland v jaffas

namwob99
26-02-2014, 04:52 AM
I heard 3-1 jaffas. Maj double.

idontwannaplaywithhowey
26-02-2014, 07:27 AM

To which division?

ForeverRed
26-02-2014, 08:24 AM
See today's herald

pv4
26-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Herald story

Westy Bluebells in danger of folding
By CRAIG KERRY Feb. 25, 2014, 10:40 p.m

http://i60.tinypic.com/108bo10.png

THE West Wallsend Bluebells, one of the oldest football clubs in northern NSW, are on the brink of folding and have been given nine days to prove they are viable for 2014.

The club, formed in 1891 by Scottish miners, has only 26 registered players to fill under-19, under-23 and first-grade teams in the second-tier First Division, which starts for them against Valentine on March 22 at Johnston Park.

Head coach Greg Smith is considering stepping aside.

‘‘The club’s not in a real good place. I don’t think it has been for 10 years,’’ Smith said.

Bluebells secretary Evan Gardiner said he had met with Northern NSW Football operations manager Alan Nisbet and his staff yesterday morning and the club had been given until the close of business on Thursday, March 6, to have 40 registered players.

West Wallsend also need to have a first-grade coach and present their 2013 financial records and a budget for this year by the deadline to prove they remain viable.

Gardiner, who came to West Wallsend last year to learn coaching under Smith, took on the secretary role this season but has been thrust into the leadership after president Mick Rae resigned last week due to work commitments. Long-time president George Devetak stepped down in December.

The Bluebells were relegated from the state league at the end of 2012 after finishing last two seasons in a row.

Smith, a multiple state league grand final-winning coach with Hamilton, stayed on for a second season last year and his rebuilt team finished fourth in the second tier.

But only one regular first-grader, Beau Lancaster, and a handful of fringe players have returned for 2014.

Smith said he had agreed to coach again this season because his squad had said they would return.

However, the squad has quickly eroded and Smith believed it was due to financial troubles at the club.

‘‘All I know is some of the players didn’t get what they thought they were going to get,’’ Smith said. ‘‘I think that’s got a lot to do with why a lot of players walked. But I was in the same boat.’’

Smith said he would not continue unless there was significant change.

‘‘There’s not a lot happening out there.

‘‘They won’t train. Guys just don’t come to training – that’s the worst part.

‘‘I can probably guarantee there won’t be 11 of the first team there tonight, and that will make my mind up for sure. I don’t want to leave them in a hole, but I can’t be bothered working with guys who aren’t interested in training.

‘‘If you can’t train, you can’t improve, and they’ve got a long way to go to become quality players.’’

He felt sorry for the club and its small band of volunteers and said they needed more help.

He believed the club’s troubles could be traced back to a lack of focus on home-grown talent.

‘‘They didn’t worry about their juniors. That’s the worst thing they did.

‘‘Since I’ve been there there are hardly any locals there.’’

Gardiner said the club had contacted about 35 prospective players in the past two weeks but none had come to training and he would understand if Smith stood down.

‘‘The club hasn’t been able to provide him with a first-grade squad to coach,’’ he said.

JCBT
26-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Herald story
Will be a massive shame for football in this area if this was to happen. Surprised at the bagging Greg Smith gave the club in the interview though, you would think he would keep those views to himself or atleast not print them as the article should have been used as an attempt to lure players and ex clubmen back to get the ball rolling again.

Eleganceisirrelevant
26-02-2014, 09:49 AM
In fairness something serious has to be done about this competition!!

You can't have clubs below in ZPL, who would put a lot of new fm teams to the sword!!

What's the point of having a bye?? Promote a team who deserves it!!
Wallsend, Dudley and Uni have all been there before.

leftrightout
26-02-2014, 09:54 AM
In fairness something serious has to be done about this competition!!

You can't have clubs below in ZPL, who would put a lot of new fm teams to the sword!!

What's the point of having a bye?? Promote a team who deserves it!!
Wallsend, Dudley and Uni have all been there before.

Wallsend, i know only promoted this year to ZPL but they seem to have everything needed to get there besides the stupid age restricted teams!
They seem to have the quality of players, facilities and a good committee working hard to make the club bigger and better.

Koala
26-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Wallsend, i know only promoted this year to ZPL but they seem to have everything needed to get there besides the stupid age restricted teams!
They seem to have the quality of players, facilities and a good committee working hard to make the club bigger and better.

I think a jump up from ID1 to Newfm would be a bridge too far for Wallsend.

leftrightout
26-02-2014, 10:47 AM

Football-wise or criteria-wise?

fresh
26-02-2014, 11:08 AM

they'd go close to winning the ****ing thing. Why would any zpl team want to get promoted. From a good comp were there will be close games week in week out. To a joke of a comp with a couple of good teams.

fresh
26-02-2014, 11:10 AM
i was told west wallsend approached university at the proposal of some sort of last minute merger between the to clubs about a week ago. So uni could play in newfm and westy would have more players. Uni declined though.

Eleganceisirrelevant
26-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Outrageous if true!!
The ZPL comp is going to be fantastic I 100% agree, but honestly clubs like wallsend and I would say other clubs more than want to be promoted and play in I higher division, hence why they have picked up these players so the club goes forward!!
It's dissapointing to think that age restrictions will stop this from happening

The General
26-02-2014, 11:30 AM

Can we as a community help Westy out? I mean, they have such a huge history in Newcastle Football, it would be terrible to see them not surviving.

Eleganceisirrelevant
26-02-2014, 11:37 AM
No came to wallsends rescue when the club walked out on them and basically all went to west wallsend!
The history of the club has been fantastic but they have made some very very poor decisions and don't deserve to be there anymore!

We have to stop holding on to what has happened in the past in football in newcastle,
Has this fantastic youth system helped the jets or nbn sides??!
No!! Wasn't that the point of it!!?!

Koala
26-02-2014, 11:38 AM
they'd go close to winning the ****ing thing. Why would any zpl team want to get promoted. From a good comp were there will be close games week in week out. To a joke of a comp with a couple of good teams.

Maitland, Belswans and Phoenix are filled with first grade State League experienced players. Not sure wallsend can say the same. Are you from Wallsend Fresh?

Will be interesting to see how they go this year.

No comment on committe etc as i don't know who much about the Clubs off field situation.

Eleganceisirrelevant
26-02-2014, 11:44 AM
I would say 9 of 11 players starting have played nbn first grade and would more than give those clubs a run for there money. Fact is ZPL is a far better and more competitive competition. There is nooo question about that!

amishpanda
26-02-2014, 11:49 AM
What is Greg Smith like as a coach?

Do people rate him? Were the squad issues related to his management, or more to do with the management at a club level? The article tends to point the finger at the club

NewFM 2014
26-02-2014, 12:04 PM
I would say 9 of 11 players starting have played nbn first grade and would more than give those clubs a run for there money. Fact is ZPL is a far better and more competitive competition. There is nooo question about that!

Get over yourself - you are just coming across as an arrogant bitter little person.

Everyone else is looking for solutions to the problems of West Wallsend and making NewFM a better stepping stone to NBN whilst at the same time acknowledging the strength ZPL can offer in helping this.

All you want to do is continually blow one off about how great ZPL is and how westy can suffer.

We HEAR you LOUD & CLEAR ... you rate ZPL ... we get it ..... move on !!

The General
26-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Get over yourself - you are just coming across as an arrogant bitter little person.

Everyone else is looking for solutions to the problems of West Wallsend and making NewFM a better stepping stone to NBN whilst at the same time acknowledging the strength ZPL can offer in helping this.

All you want to do is continually blow one off about how great ZPL is and how westy can suffer.

Amen!!!!!!

Eleganceisirrelevant
26-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Well....... Not move on??? Do something about it

gk1985
26-02-2014, 12:18 PM
i was told west wallsend approached university at the proposal of some sort of last minute merger between the to clubs about a week ago. So uni could play in newfm and westy would have more players. Uni declined though.

As much as we would love to jump on this opportunity I think this would favor westy more than us at uni.

Maybe this will be a wake up call for northern to realise there needs to be a better pathway to this competition.

pv4
26-02-2014, 12:31 PM
What is Greg Smith like as a coach?

Do people rate him? Were the squad issues related to his management, or more to do with the management at a club level? The article tends to point the finger at the club

I've only ever heard terrific things about him, but have personally had very little to do with him.

Usually with coaches who have been around for ages you get a bunch of people love them, and a bunch severely dislike them (and rarely any middle ground). I've never heard of anyone disliking Smith, and have only ever heard praise for him.

In saying all that, one would think a coach with so much respect, etc would have more player drawing power. Either he doesn't have this, or something has gone seriously wrong at the club itself.

wannabe
26-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Herald story

FFS,the club hasn't been able to provide him with a first grade squad? He is the coach,,tell him to get off his arise,get on the phone and recruit players. Its not the committees job to provide him with players,its their job to run the club and the coaches job to organize his squad and training. Smith is a disgrace in this article,he says the club has been in trouble for ten years well I haven't seen it improve in your time Greg and it has sunk under your watch. He also said he thought all his squad were coming back,well here is a new concept,sit down individually with your players and resign them,I know as a player I would rather be talking to the coach of a club rather then the committee

United
26-02-2014, 01:04 PM

Isn't that elite comp happening next season? Where newfm will be gone?

If Westy cannot make it. Why not offer them the year in Zone league 3 where its an 8 team comp? Give them time to get their club back in order and build it back up. The club won't fold. Sure it is a step backwards but its better than anything

parksey
26-02-2014, 01:58 PM
FFS,the club hasn't been able to provide him with a first grade squad? He is the coach,,tell him to get off his arise,get on the phone and recruit players. Its not the committees job to provide him with players,its their job to run the club and the coaches job to organize his squad and training. Smith is a disgrace in this article,he says the club has been in trouble for ten years well I haven't seen it improve in your time Greg and it has sunk under your watch. He also said he thought all his squad were coming back,well here is a new concept,sit down individually with your players and resign them,I know as a player I would rather be talking to the coach of a club rather then the committee

It would be best if people who have no idea what happened out there and what smithy has had to deal with kept their unfounded opinions to themselves.

wannabe
26-02-2014, 02:10 PM
It would be best if people who have no idea what happened out there and what smithy has had to deal with kept their unfounded opinions to themselves.
What makes you think my opinion isn't informed and I don't know what's happening out there? If greg smith is able to bag the club in the herald why am I unable to voice my informed opinion on a public forum?

Zeus
26-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Nobody likes to see a football club struggle.
There needs to be a bigger emphasis on junior development in clubs.

If there are any players, especially younger players playing in the ZPL comp that have aspirations of playing at a higher level, then perhaps they should consider West Wallsend?

I also think the Federation has a lot to answer for and needs to mae relegation promotion from these leagues.

seldom
26-02-2014, 02:31 PM

Agreed...Coaches dont pay the players.Easy to say just get on the phone and get some players but in reality this doesnt happen. There will always be teams in zpl who could beat some teams in newfm,not sure why people keep floggin on about it.

hawk
26-02-2014, 02:39 PM
What makes you think my opinion isn't informed and I don't know what's happening out there? If greg smith is able to bag the club in the herald why am I unable to voice my informed opinion on a public forum?

You may have a valid point but send a reply or two to the Herald. This is a public forum but not for bagging clubs.

leftrightout
26-02-2014, 03:02 PM
It really will be sad for a club with as much history as Westy to go. Lets hope some kind of positive outcome can come out of this and they can fight back just like Wallsend are currently doing!

MFKS
26-02-2014, 04:02 PM
For what is a smallish locality with two NBN sides next door really in Edgy and Weston it is surprising how little they have done with their juniors and the locals out that way. This should really be the backbone of this club but sadly isn't

ForeverRed
26-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Edgeworth never use to do anything with juniors until they relocated charlestowns kids out that way

God bless zpl
26-02-2014, 05:01 PM

Do you realise how stupid you sound??? If any of these players were that good they would still be playing nbn first grade, they are playing zpl for a reason, if u don't understand zpl is the third division!!! And it is the third division for a reason..

All the games you are judging your opinions on are trial games, that means they are not real games and there is no competition points up for grabs, do u understand???

All we ask is if you want to talk about how good you are and pull each other off each day go do it in your own forum!!!

fresh
26-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Do you realise how stupid you sound??? If any of these players were that good they would still be playing nbn first grade, they are playing zpl for a reason, if u don't understand zpl is the third division!!! And it is the third division for a reason..

All the games you are judging your opinions on are trial games, that means they are not real games and there is no competition points up for grabs, do u understand???

All we ask is if you want to talk about how good you are and pull each other off each day go do it in your own forum!!!

the teams in Zpl are actually as high as they can go up there own ladder of leagues.

newfm teams are at the bottom of a completly different structure nbn - newfm

many teams are in ' third division football ' because there no promotion and relegation between the apparent '2nd' and '3rd' division football leagues.

I think people are just complaining because they think something might be done about it. Let clubs with ambitions rise as high as they can and ones without to drop that is all people want!

lafootball
26-02-2014, 06:59 PM

A bunch of the guys, not only at Wallsend, could still play in nbn mate. Yes they are playing zpl for a reason that's right.. To hopefully get a great club back to the top again, which I personally think is great! It shows they are not stuck up players with egos. If they are willing to drop a couple of divisions to try and build a club, it says a lot about them in my books. Nbn isnt what it use to be. Yes zpl is third division haha but it's got some GOOD players running around so what you are saying is rubbish. I agree with you that trial games don't count for too much but teams dont play trial games to lose do they? Obviously the point some people on here are trying to make is that newfm needs to get a lot better because right now its a two or three team race at best. I Look forward to seeing the results this year in the top 3 divisions, it will be very interesting to say the least! Good luck to all teams.

God bless zpl
26-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Mate if ya look at everyone of his posts it's all about how good the zpl is, it's not a one off post, so if that's not a big ego I don't know what is???

And I don't know anything about wallsend or where they play out of, but a team like Barnsley for example are flogging a dead horse! It doesn't matter how good there side is they won't get promoted due to their poor excuse of facilities!

All that aside tho, I'm just absolutely sick and tired of your whinging, as I said earlier if use wanna talk about how good of a comp u have and pull each other off, do it else where!

darthmuller
26-02-2014, 10:31 PM
We shall do our talking on the pitch.....and then pull each other off! Haha

parksey
26-02-2014, 10:42 PM

Because it's pretty obvious that you don't.

JCBT
26-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Maitland (U/19's) 2 -1 Jaffas (U/19's)

idontwannaplaywithhowey
27-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Ive played in the ZPL for years and there are some teams that are better than New FM sides. However, I'm sure there are League One sides that would beat ZPL sides as well.
Like every league in the world there are some good teams, and some shits teams. That goes for NBN, New FW, ZPL, League one, League 2, all age....
As much as I am a proponent of the quality of the ZPL this argument is pretty tedious (and has been happening for years). Its starting to give some of the ZPL clubs the reputation of being constant whingers (rightly or wrongly), and I don't want all ZPL clubs to be lumped in that basket.

hotspur1
27-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Hooray, great to see someone bring some sense to this thread, all teams can show what they have got when the season starts. What all clubs should be asking is why football in the Hunter has not progressed in the last 20 years other than to create well paid jobs for people with seemingly no KPI's as to job performance and results.

MFKS
04-03-2014, 11:18 AM
THE West Wallsend Bluebells are here to stay.

That was the message last night as the short and long-term future of the third oldest soccer club in northern NSW was addressed at the Museum Hotel, a stone’s throw away from the Bluebells’ home ground, Johnston Park.

See your ad here

About 50 past and present players and supporters attended the meeting, called by Northern NSW Football and the club to form a working group devoted to saving the Bluebells.

The Herald reported last Wednesday that the club, formed in 1891 by Scottish miners, appeared on the brink of expulsion from the second-tier, first division competition.

With only 26 players on their books for three grades and head coach Greg Smith walking out, West Wallsend were given until tonight to have 40 registered players, a first-grade coach and produce 2013 financial records and a 2014 budget to show they are a viable club.

However, their place in the competition seems assured after a positive meeting last night when the club laid bare their troubles and sought help for a sustainable future.

The help came in the form of incoming NNSWF club development officer Ross Hicks, a former Wallsend club president, who will chair a working group made up of six volunteers.

The group, consisting of a player, a resident, parents and a junior club representative, will work in the coming months on building a sustainable senior club.

Club secretary Evan Gardiner addressed the meeting, saying the club had debts of $8700 and faced tough times for the next few seasons as it tried to extinguish the burden.

However, Gardiner, who received warm applause for his efforts in keeping the club alive, said the Bluebells had gained great support from NNSWF and the football community to reach 38 registered players.

‘‘There’s two more down here,’’ someone in the crowd said.

With the player quota reached, Gardiner said the next target was finding a first-grade coach.

Although down to coach the under 19s, Gardiner said he would take on the top role to ensure the club stayed in first division this season.

‘‘There are probably 10 players who have first-grade experience and six or seven of those are up to the standard,’’ Gardiner told the Herald before the meeting.

‘‘The biggest thing is the coach. We have three or four experienced players who are not willing to commit and if we had an experienced coach, hopefully they would step forward.’’

He thanked the players who had stuck by the club, saying this season was ‘‘not going to be easy’’ and the group knew ‘‘there was going to be cash flow problems at three or four points during the season’’.

NNSWF chief executive David Eland also addressed the meeting, saying the federation was committed to helping the historic club and ensuring a strong pathway for junior talent in the town.

‘‘We want players who want to play for West Wallsend, not just get paid to play for West Wallsend,’’ Eland said.

Out of curiosity why are blokes getting paid to play in the NEW FM level??

Seems crazy and a source of concern that blokes playing at such a low level actually earn money to play. Maybe if clubs weren't paying players clubs like Westy wouldn't be in as much trouble??

Thomas477
04-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Fairly certain players getting paid is all the way down to ZL3. I know Mayfield Juniors do. However, from what I've heard it's for attending training, functions and matches. I believe that by the end of the season you'll have earned your rego and a little bit back.

MFKS
04-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Fairly certain players getting paid is all the way down to ZL3. I know Mayfield Juniors do. However, from what I've heard it's for attending training, functions and matches. I believe that by the end of the season you'll have earned your rego and a little bit back.

And Umm is there any wonder why football in this country really struggles???

Junior Fees OTT Seniors who are shit in the grand scheme of things getting paid and Money shortages for coaching.

FFS Its all tits about face.

High time the FFA actually pulled their finger out of their arse and reformed the game across the entire code so money is actually going to areas where it should be

Zico
04-03-2014, 01:00 PM

Junior Fees OTT Seniors who are shit in the grand scheme of things getting paid and Money shortages for coaching.

High time the FFA actually pulled their finger out of their arse and reformed the game across the entire code so money is actually going to areas where it should be
You must be the most bitter **** I've ever witnessed. Why wouldn't NEWFM players be paid to play?

MFKS
04-03-2014, 02:08 PM
You must be the most bitter **** I've ever witnessed. Why wouldn't NEWFM players be paid to play?

I will answer that when you can at least provide some valid reasons why blokes playing in the 3rd tier (HAL>>NPL>>New FM) in a country ranked 50th or whatever in the FIFA rankings deserve to be paid to play 20 game seasons at a shoddy level of ability before a select crowd of approx. 100-200 relos mates and club mates

LINGERA
04-03-2014, 02:19 PM
the fact that you have to pay to watch it is bad enough.

Thomas477
04-03-2014, 03:56 PM

Tbh, I agree. No junior side should subsidise the seniors. The only money the seniors should get is the leftover money after the bills are paid, the coaches have correct licenses and the future of the club is secured. There should also be an investment in the junior sides as well. If all that occurs, good on them!

A player only plays for a few years. Coaches can affect generations of players. Seems like the coaches are a better investment than the players in my opinion.

the fact that you have to pay to watch it is bad enough.

Can't be any worse than the jets IMO.

curious_fan
04-03-2014, 04:32 PM
I will answer that when you can at least provide some valid reasons why blokes playing in the 3rd tier (HAL>>NPL>>New FM) in a country ranked 50th or whatever in the FIFA rankings deserve to be paid to play 20 game seasons at a shoddy level of ability before a select crowd of approx. 100-200 relos mates and club mates

I like to think of it this way, no matter the competition. If a player is paid $100 for a win, entry fee to the game is $5. Is that player of good enough quality that he drew a minimum of twenty paying spectators to the game he played.

If not the club is effectively giving away money for questionable return.

Now aside from NBN I truely doubt many clubs are drawing fully paying crowds of 280-300 just to cover a single home game win. Not forgetting a club receives no income for away wins.

If a NewFm club paid nothing more than $100 win (no other bonuses, no registrations paid for players etc) and wins 12 of its 21 games, to cover those costs by paying spectators it would need to average over 300 for every home game. Having seen quite a few NewFM games last season I really doubt that is a realistic goal.

Players are obviously not providing an equal value of entertainment to what they are being paid, and while clubs continue to pander to amateur players wallets facilities will be ignored, long term financial plans will be lacking and investment in their local juniors will be lacking.

fresh
04-03-2014, 08:15 PM

**** rugby union blokes i know almost get a walk in to there first grade comp and get payed alot!

theres like 30 ****ing divsions in soccer 'football'

2nd tier is alright. still top 5 percent of adult soccer players

theres only like 4 divisions in rugby league and all there 1st local tier gets payed so thats at least top 25 percent getting payed?

people tend to forget how many people play soccer and take it seriously.

seldom
04-03-2014, 08:26 PM
I get where you guys are coming from re player payments and how crucial junior development is but in regards to not paying newfm or zpl players while sounding good in context,wouldnt work for the majority of clubs.Say your at a newfm club and have invested in quality coaches in the junior ranks, have developed several quality players in the 15-16 ages.You approach them saying you want them to continue in the senior ranks but can never offer them squat. Some NBN team comes along with money in hand and the chance to play at a higher level. They jump at the chance and you are happy that they have the chance to advance.But if this happens year after year the only chance your club has of advancing is to bring some quality players in and how do you do that without coin?I think you'll find Lakes were promoted with money signings as were Adamstown and next year probably Maitland.I agree there are players getting much more money than they deserve but realistically this aint going to change

Thomas477
04-03-2014, 08:48 PM
For the record seldom, I'm not saying player payments shouldn't happen, but they should only be from the profits. Paying players and then complaining about having to pay for coaches to get their licenses etc shouldn't be an excuse.

And as for developing youth, I think you'll find in the next few years, the NPL pps will be causing a lot of young players to stay at their current clubs.

RedMexican
04-03-2014, 10:26 PM
i can assure that with local rugby league 1st grade and reserves get payed if you make it on the field.
most a grade clubs pay players and even most b grade sides do.

so that is essentially from nbn to zpl.

Premy
05-03-2014, 12:58 AM
Who gives a flying F what Handegg does last time I checked this was a Football forum.
If Club's can't afford to Upgrade Facilities, pay for Coaches Education or Subsidize Junior Registration fees then Club's cannot afford to pay Senior player's.

Premy
05-03-2014, 01:07 AM
Completely Hypothetical Figures here (I'm sure its more)
Player gets payed $100 per game
11 Player's per team $1100 per game
18 games per season $19,800 per season
5 seasons saving $19,800=$99,000

Then these clubs have the nerve to seek for council funds for facilities upgrades...

MFKS
05-03-2014, 09:15 AM

Then these clubs have the nerve to seek for council funds for facilities upgrades...

And if you take this 20k a season frittered away to pay players and use it to subsidise rego fees for their juniors you can knock the price of rego down $100 for 200 kids or $200 for 100 kids.

Do that and the issue of expensive and OTT kids regos is knocked in the head in one foul swoop

Smitty
05-03-2014, 01:47 PM
I know this is very optimistic but are any clubs (other than westy) still after any u/23s players? I do realise that nearly all squads were probably finalised a few weeks/months ago but am just seeing if anything is available. Shoot me a message if there are any vacancies anywhere
thanks

pv4
05-03-2014, 01:52 PM

And if you take this 20k a season frittered away to pay players and use it to subsidise rego fees for their juniors you can knock the price of rego down $100 for 200 kids or $200 for 100 kids.

Do that and the issue of expensive and OTT kids regos is knocked in the head in one foul swoop

Where do you get that $20k a season from, though? It's all from sponsors, who want to support and get their name out there via a senior team. Seeing the company name on a picture in The Herald, etc.

You take away money from NEWFM and NBN, and give it to kids, sounds great but no one is going to fund it.

EH9
05-03-2014, 05:39 PM
I agree with most of the talk about player payments being excessive, but the reality is the team that stops paying will be on a quick slope to relegation.

leftrightout
06-03-2014, 07:14 AM
I agree with most of the talk about player payments being excessive, but the reality is the team that stops paying will be on a quick slope to relegation.

No they won't because NNSWF will not let anyone from ZPL come up!

newie4eva
06-03-2014, 10:16 AM
Anyone know of any trials games coming up for Cessnock ?

sancho_theswan
06-03-2014, 09:59 PM
results of trial games BelSwans played at Blacksmiths this week….

Tuesday:
U/19's v's Charlestown 1 - 1.
U/23's v's Charlestown 0 - 2.

Thursday:
1st v's Valentine Phoenix 0 - 3.

NewFM 2014
07-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Any games this weekend ? Have Valo got a game ? I went down to see the belswans game and thought the game was a bit closer than scoreline suggested.

JCBT
08-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Maitland v Olympic
1st Grade Olympic won 3-1. Olympic had 3 clear cut chances missed in the first half while Maitland could have easily scored 5 in the 2nd half. Maitland held their own against a very good Olympic side.
23's 1-1 ( I missed most of this game and was 1-0 to Olympic when I left but was told it ended 1-1.)
19's 1-1.

sancho_theswan
09-03-2014, 08:51 PM
At Blacksmiths today….BelSwans V's Jaffas.
Results
U/19's 0-2 (Jaffas). Many players missing from both teams.
U/23's 0-3 (Jaffas)…. I think that was the final score.
1st's 1-3 (Jaffas). Appeared a solid hit out for both teams.
Pretty oppressive heat all day.

The Postman
10-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Yesterdays games
U19s - Stags 2 Thornton 2
U23s - Stags 5 Thornton 2
1sts - Stags 2 Thornton 0

Turks
12-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Last nights scores:
U23's - Edgeworth 1-0 Valentine
1st - Edgeworth 3-1 Valentine

cobra23
12-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Last nights scores:
U23's - Edgeworth 1-0 Valentine
1st - Edgeworth 3-1 Valentine

Was this game only a trial ?

ForeverRed
12-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Was this game only a trial ?
yes

cobra23
12-03-2014, 09:51 AM
yes

Thought so, the northern website showed they both had the bye for the cup...

pv4
12-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Thought so, the northern website showed they both had the bye for the cup...

Edgy originally drew Westy, who pulled out of it.

Shame, what a cup draw with that derby!

Johnny
13-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Does anyone know who won between cessnock & Toronto in state cup?

newie4eva
13-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Does anyone know who won between cessnock & Toronto in state cup?

I believe Cessnock won on penalties after 0-0 at full time. Definitely Cessnock playing on Sunday in round 2.

Johnny
13-03-2014, 01:28 PM
I believe Cessnock won on penalties after 0-0 at full time. Definitely Cessnock playing on Sunday in round 2.

I got told Cessnock should have won 4-1 in normal time.

newie4eva
13-03-2014, 01:38 PM
I got told Cessnock should have won 4-1 in normal time.

Are you a Cessnock supporter ???

I will be following them this year :popcorn: so hope they played well.

Johnny
13-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Are you a Cessnock supporter ???

I will be following them this year :popcorn: so hope they played well.

Toronto mate

Johnny
13-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Heard cessnock signed two blokes from south Cardiff. Anyone know who?

sancho_theswan
14-03-2014, 06:18 AM
Results of games played at Blacksmiths last night v's Swansea….
U/23's
BelSwans (6-1).
1st's
Swansea (0-1).

newie4eva
14-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Heard cessnock signed two blokes from south Cardiff. Anyone know who?

I'm pretty sure that Jordy White (think that names correct) has returned to Cessnock and Kieren Delaney has moved there to live so has joined their playing group. Both enjoyed playing at Southy but for personal reason have had to move on.

Pretty sure they are the two you are thinking of.

Johnny
14-03-2014, 11:00 AM
I'm pretty sure that Jordy White (think that names correct) has returned to Cessnock and Kieren Delaney has moved there to live so has joined their playing group. Both enjoyed playing at Southy but for personal reason have had to move on.

Pretty sure they are the two you are thinking of.

Wasn't kieren Delaney u/23s nbn state league player of the year last season?

Imyourhero
14-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Results of games played at Blacksmiths last night v's Swansea….
U/23's
BelSwans (6-1).
1st's
Swansea (0-1).

What happened there mate with 1sts??

seldom
14-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Wasn't kieren Delaney u/23s nbn state league player of the year last season?

give yourself a rap "Johnny"

newie4eva
14-03-2014, 01:10 PM
give yourself a rap "Johnny"

Ha Ha "seldom" if your inferring that "Johnny" is Kieren then you are far from the mark lol

"Johnny" good luck with Toronto this year and might see you at a game when they meet up :pissup:

Johnny
14-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Ha Ha "seldom" if your inferring that "Johnny" is Kieren then you are far from the mark lol

"Johnny" good luck with Toronto this year and might see you at a game when they meet up :pissup:

Aha "seldom" & "newie4eva" yeah mate should be a good game.

seldom
14-03-2014, 03:01 PM

Wish i was back near the lake, unfortunately 280ks away nowadays. Did get to watch Belswans v tronna last year and hopefully be there for the 2nd round clash this. Sancho get the beer ready

sancho_theswan
14-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Wish i was back near the lake, unfortunately 280ks away nowadays. Did get to watch Belswans v tronna last year and hopefully be there for the 2nd round clash this. Sancho get the beer ready

Will see you there "seldom at a game now days" but….. Unfortunately I'm "on the wagon" these days since that introduced RSA (responsible swanning of alcohol). It is a "bitter pill" to swallow even for such a regal, full-billed bird such as myself.

sancho_theswan
14-03-2014, 04:58 PM

Just totally out-played from where I was "nestled". Swansea were far more intense and up for the contest. Lots of the BelSwans appeared to just go through the motions, thinking that "it" would just happen. Congrats to "the other Swans"… they fully deserved the result - on the night!

fresh
14-03-2014, 11:24 PM

why are people still suprised over results like this? no idea.

Imyourhero
15-03-2014, 07:05 AM
Who said I was suprised? All that was asked was what happened in that game? Would a fan not ask the exact same question of any loss of any team in history who are in theory classed as the favourite in a match? Even erase the favourites banner, wheres the issue on asking what happened for ANY team? Sancho answered the question perfectly. So sick of people on their high horses trying to look intelligent or whatever gratification it is that some individuals get from making pointless remarks. Fresh, you obviously have 'no idea' about the concept of this medium.

curious_fan
15-03-2014, 09:40 PM
No they won't because NNSWF will not let anyone from ZPL come up!

A casual comment was made that there would be consideration given later this season that 1st Division (NewFM) to return it to a ten team competition.

I would assume that would be by application process and depending on the steering committee's recommendations. Of course nothing is guaranteed under it actually happens but I think "not let anyone from ZPL come up" is a bit of a conspiracy theory.

Johnny
16-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Anyone know how the newfm teams went over the weekend in the state cup?

Thomas477
16-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Anyone know how the newfm teams went over the weekend in the state cup?

Check the state cup thread mate.

Johnny
16-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Check the state cup thread mate.

Thanks bud.

The Postman
17-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Round 1 Predictions
1 Cessnock v Singleton 0
0 West Wallsend v Valentine 4
5 Maitland v Thornton 1
2 Toronto v Belmont 1

Ladder Prediction
Maitland
Valentine
Toronto
Belmont
Cessnock
Thornton
Singleton
Wallsend

Maitland and Valentine are interchangeable for the top 2
Same with Toronto, Belmont and Cessnock for 3,4,5
Then the rest at the bottom

NewFM 2014
17-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Well yesterday was a bad day at the office for Valo. Never got in the game and will need to improve a lot on that performance to go straight back up.

Dont know what was up yesterday but just never got going at all.

newie4eva
17-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Don't really know much first hand about these teams but I'll have a go at predictions

Round 1
3 Cessnock v Singleton 1
0 West Wallsend v Valentine 5
5 Maitland v Thornton 2
0 Toronto v Belmont 2

Ladder
Valentine
Maitland
Belmont
Cessnock
Thornton
Toronto
Singleton/West Wallsend

I just think Valo "if" they have kept their players from last season will be better at grounding out results but everyone knows not to underestimate Maitland as they can and do perform consistently every season so would be no surprise to see them win it.

Like Postman said, a lot could be interchangeable as there is a long, long way to go :popcorn: but it is interesting looking back at the end of the season to see who got the closest :yay:

Zeus
17-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Maitland by at least 6pts
Valentine
Belmont
10pts separating 3rd place from 4th and the rest

pv4
17-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Maitland at the top.

Valentine/Belswans/Toronto in some order following.

Cessnock/Thornton/Singleton in some order next.

Westy last.

So roughly what Postman has, I reckon.

NewFM 2014
17-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Ok , so off and running almost in NewFM

Round 1 Predictions
3 Cessnock v Singleton 0
3 Maitland v Thornton 0
1 Toronto v Belmont 1

Final Ladder

1 Valentine
2 Maitland
3 Belswans
4 Cessnock
5 Toronto
6 Thornton
7 West Wallsend
8 Singleton

Zeus
17-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Ok , so off and running almost in NewFM

Round 1 Predictions
3 Cessnock v Singleton 0
3 Maitland v Thornton 0
1 Toronto v Belmont 1

Final Ladder

1 Valentine
2 Maitland
3 Belswans
4 Cessnock
5 Toronto
6 Thornton
7 West Wallsend
8 Singleton

Your not backing your own team to win it??

You have recruited too well at Maitland not to win it.
Ben Martin and Roger up front 2 NBN league strikers.
Broadley brothers, again NBN quality.
Corey Fletcher, Josh Costello.

Too much for Pheonix, who as you said were poor on Sunday.

Johnny
17-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Round 1 predictions

Cessnock 4 v 0 singleton
Westy 1 v 3 valentine
Maitland 5 v 0 Thornton
Toronto 2 v 2 Belmont

Final ladder

1 maitland
2 valentine
3 cessnock
4 Belmont
5 Toronto
6 Thornton
7 westy
8 singleton

Just think maitland & valentine are too strong
Cessnock/Belmont/ Toronto will be fighting out for 3,4,5
And Thornton, westy will fight out 6,7 and singleton
Will be in there usual spot.

JCBT
17-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Round 1
Cessnock 3 v 0 singleton
Westy 0 v 7 valentine
Maitland 4 v 2 Thornton
Toronto 1 v 4 Belmont

Final ladder

1 Maitland
2 Valentine
3 Belmont
4 Thornton
5 Cessnock
6 Toronto
7 Westy
8 Singleton

Elude
17-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Everyone has Cessnock rated highly, why so?
If their team is anything like last few years they will be praying the keeper stays fit, so they don't challenge for wooden spoon with singo and westy.

Johnny
17-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Everyone has Cessnock rated highly, why so?
If their team is anything like last few years they will be praying the keeper stays fit, so they don't challenge for wooden spoon with singo and westy.

New coach & a couple of new players.

pv4
17-03-2014, 06:37 PM

For an apparent Toronto fan, you know a lot about Cessnock Johnny. Who have Toronto picked up? How are they looking in your opinion? How full strength were they in the state cup game?

newie4eva
17-03-2014, 07:56 PM

For Cessnocks benefit hopefully they have someone to put the ball in the back of the net or they will finish down the bottom. They never scored a goal (besides penalty shootout) in State Cup games. Stronger out of town teams mean a stronger comp.

Johnny
17-03-2014, 08:31 PM
I have a cousin that plays down there that's why.

seldom
17-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Didnt singo spend a squillion dollars this year ? surely they wont be bottom

Imyourhero
17-03-2014, 08:44 PM

Their 1sts lost to Weston 22s yesterday

Elude
17-03-2014, 08:52 PM

From what I've been told just 2 guys from stags last year.

newie4eva
18-03-2014, 07:51 AM

http://www.singletonargus.com.au/story/2150494/klaudon-brings-experience-from-greek/?cs=1660

THE SINGLETON ARGUS - Tuesday March 18 2014

THE Singleton Soccer Club is very pleased to announce the signing of a marquee player for season 2014.
See your ad here

Club President David Andrews announced, “The Singleton Strikers are very pleased to announce the signing of Klaudon Ahmataj as a marquee player for season 2014.

Klaudon heads the list of a number of new recruits for the Strikers including Lloyd Wakewood and Luke Walker from Toronto Awaba.

These signings will give new head coach Scott Baillie plenty of attacking options to consider, along with last year’s Club Player of the Year Tom Hume and local prodigy Jackson Cox, who will no doubt relish the opportunity to have a number of new strike partners next to them.”

Mr Ahmataj is an Albanian national who last played professionally in the Greek First Division before moving to the Hunter Valley with his partner.

The 27 year old Striker has impressed in pre season training with his effort and work ethic, but it is his touch in front of goal that has tongues wagging.

Andrews said, “He’s a natural striker. one of those players who just seems to have time and space to conjure a shot on goal when other players cannot. We’ve only played friendly games so far, but he has already shown that he will be a very exciting prospect for the Strikers.”

“Our season gets under way on March 22, and our squad is starting to take shape. We are still working on some last minute recruits to bolster our defence, and if these fall into place, we will be quietly confident of an improved showing in 2014,” he added.

ForeverRed
18-03-2014, 10:09 AM
What I saw of singleton in the state cup v olympic showed they will be no easy beat as predicted, hopefully for the sake of the competition I'm not wrong but things could change

Zico
18-03-2014, 01:09 PM
What I saw of singleton in the state cup v olympic showed they will be no easy beat as predicted, hopefully for the sake of the competition I'm not wrong but things could change
Until Bailey has his usual brainsnap and all hell breaks loose.

gk1985
21-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Newcastle University FC

We are currently looking for a GOAL KEEPER to join our ZPL squad after a couple players have pulled the pin last minute. If you are a goal keeper or know of someone who would be interested in having a run this season either contact myself or come along to training. Be quick about it, its getting close to our cut off date.

Contact
Email: joshua.piotrowski@uon.edu.au
Ph: 0422284293

Training details
Tuesday: 7pm, oval no.3 behind the forum at the uni
Thursday: 7pm, oval no.2 next to the forum at the uni

any other details can be found on our website.
http://www.newcastleunifc.com

newie4eva
21-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Preview by Blake Jarrett

Maitland FC vs. Thornton Redbacks FC
Cook Square Park
Sunday 23rd March, 2.30pm
Match of the Round

In the match of the round last years runners up Maitland FC host Thornton Redbacks FC at Cook Square Park.

Maitland will enter the competition confident after a successful 2013 season where they finished 2nd followed by a Grand Final loss to Adamstown Rosebud. The two teams that have denied them the minor premiership in the previous two years, Lambton Jaffas and Adamstown Rosebud, have both since been promoted to the NBN State League and Maitland will feel as though this is their year to clinch the top spot.

Retaining key players including striker, Ben Martin, goalkeeper, Ben Kelly, and fullback, Corey Fletcher will certainly add to the clubs growing confidence. The off season signings of former Weston Bear, Matthew Toohey, and former Broadmeadow Magic and Adamstown Rosebuds striker, Roger Dowdell, will also play a key role in Maitland’s success.

Martin however is an obvious standout. After the first 11 games last season his tally was a massive 17, scoring in every game except one. He ended the season with an incredible 30, eight more than his closest rival. He seems to have already found similar form to last year, scoring the goal in the sides 1-1 draw against NPL side South Cardiff Gunners in Round 1 of the State Cup that they eventually lost in penalty shootouts, where he also converted a penalty.

Thornton coach Darrel McAllister would feel as though his side should provide a tough contest against Maitland, however, following a some-what successful first season in 2014. McAllister guided the Redbacks to sixth place, missing out on a semi final spot by just four points.

The Redbacks will need to be on their game come Sunday, having lost two games to Maitland during the 2013 season; a side which has strengthened considerably and will be looking to stamp their authority on the 2014 NEWFM First Division early.

West Wallsend SFC vs. Valentine FC
Johnston Park
Saturday 22nd March, 2.30pm

The opening match of the 2014 NEWFM First Division sees West Wallsend SFC taking on Valentine FC at Johnston Park.

West Wallsend will be desperate for a first round win following a disastrous off-season that saw the club lose ten first grade players and consequently, nearly folding.

However the determination of the 125-year historic club should be admired as members, players and new coach Evan Gardiner rallied to keep the club alive.

The signings of Anthony Carter, Cody Sopper, Keegan North and Todd Jones are a massive boost for the club who Gardiner said is fielding ‘a young side’, most with first grade experience.

A key player for West Wallsend is the returning shot-stopper Blake Redman, who will fill the void left by Adamstown-bound Nathanael Cavaliere.

West Wallsend have a huge task at hand, however, going up against a Valentine outfit boasting a mixture of youth and experience. Having finished last in the NBN State League last season, Valentine begins the season as a clear favorite alongside Maitland for the 2014 NEWFM First Division.

The McGinley brothers (Paul and Scott) as well as Ben Glachan are three notable players that have showed their loyalty to the club, staying on for the 2014 season.

Similar to West Wallsend, Valentine lost star goalkeeper Nathan Archibald, whose place will be taken by former EAP shot-stopper, Perry Budden, who will begin his third year with the club.

Former youth players Reece Newton and Luke Barnier have also earned their chance to play at the top level after solid 2013 seasons for the club.

This promises to be a match that will showcase some of the best of the youth talent that the NEWFM First Division has to offer and will be a hard-fought contest.

Cessnock City FC vs. Singleton SC
Turner Park

Cessnock City FC host Singleton SC in a fixture that promises to be so much more then it would have been this time last season.

Both sides enter the 2014 NEWFM First Division competition with significant off-season signings.

Cessnock, who finished second last in the 2013 season, welcome the signing of South Cardiff duo Jordan White and Kieran Delany. White, who signed for the Gunners last season from Cessnock, instantly broke into the first team after a solid pre season with the Under 19s.

He and Delany, a proven goal scorer in the former NBN State League will both be a massive boost for Cessnock and provide serious resources for the side to play finals football in 2014.

Singleton, who finished bottom of the table last season, have also signed a proven goal scorer as they welcome Albanian, Klaudon Ahmataj, as well as Toronto Awaba pair Lloyd Wakewood and Luke Walker.

Combined with 2013 Club Player of the Year, Tom Hume, these three signings will ensure that the club, who managed a competition low 21 goals last season, will be far more competitive in 2014.

Toronto Awaba FC vs. Belmont Swansea United SC
Lyall Peacock Field

In the final match of round 1, Toronto Awaba host Belmont Swansea at Lyall Peacock Field.

Bel-Swans enter the 2014 season in extremely poor form after pre-season losses to Valentine South Cardiff, Swansea and Lambton Jaffas.

The side will have to draw on its successful 2013 season as inspiration for Sunday’s match.

Key players Nathan Goncalves and Tom Pichaloff will be required to consistently perform for the Bel-Swans if they are to achieve similar success to last season. 19-year-old Jaydon Rolla will provide both height and strength in the heart of defense.

New Toronto Awaba coach Graham Jones believes that despite a large turnover of players from the 2013 season his club can be successful.

Jones’ focus is ‘rebuilding the club and developing young Toronto boys’.

He will also utilize the guidance that his more experienced players have to offer.

‘We have signed some experienced Toronto players, returning to try and reestablish the club as a place where guys want to play’ he said.

Toronto enters the game after a recent 2-0 trial match win over Thornton followed by a penalty shootout loss to Cessnock in the State Cup.

sancho_theswan
21-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Preview by Blake Jarrett

Toronto Awaba FC vs. Belmont Swansea United SC
Lyall Peacock Field

In the final match of round 1, Toronto Awaba host Belmont Swansea at Lyall Peacock Field.

Bel-Swans enter the 2014 season in extremely poor form after pre-season losses to Valentine South Cardiff, Swansea and Lambton Jaffas.

The side will have to draw on its successful 2013 season as inspiration for Sunday’s match.

Key players Nathan Goncalves and Tom Pichaloff will be required to consistently perform for the Bel-Swans if they are to achieve similar success to last season. 19-year-old Jaydon Rolla will provide both height and strength in the heart of defense.

New Toronto Awaba coach Graham Jones believes that despite a large turnover of players from the 2013 season his club can be successful.

Jones’ focus is ‘rebuilding the club and developing young Toronto boys’.

He will also utilize the guidance that his more experienced players have to offer.

‘We have signed some experienced Toronto players, returning to try and reestablish the club as a place where guys want to play’ he said.

Toronto enters the game after a recent 2-0 trial match win over Thornton followed by a penalty shootout loss to Cessnock in the State Cup.

Awesome……
Nathan Gonclaves and Tom Pitchaloff playing on Sunday. Shooter will be pleased seeing how neither has played since about half way through last season or are even registered.
Fair dinkum…. where do the federation get these writers from and better still where do they get their information. I've heard of "poetic licence" but really a little bit of "research" on things before you put your name to it would go a long way. Another case credibility out the window before a ball is even kicked!!!

seldom
22-03-2014, 12:21 AM
Sancho...i've heard both teams have players out already with injuries...could be a test of both clubs depth

pv4
22-03-2014, 05:28 AM
Awesome……
Nathan Gonclaves and Tom Pitchaloff playing on Sunday. Shooter will be pleased seeing how neither has played since about half way through last season or are even registered.
Fair dinkum…. where do the federation get these writers from and better still where do they get their information. I've heard of "poetic licence" but really a little bit of "research" on things before you put your name to it would go a long way. Another case credibility out the window before a ball is even kicked!!!

I assume seeing as though there's no quotes from the belswans coach that he wasn't contactable to confirm or deny which players were and weren't there. How else can the writer get his info for this league?

Good article, decent effort imo

NewFM 2014
22-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Looking forward to today.
Hopefully get off to a good start
Good luck everybody in NewFM

Flint_tropics
22-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Westy v Valo

19s 3-2 westy
22s 5-0 valo
1sts 11-0 valo

outsider
22-03-2014, 04:47 PM
The hard fought contest at West Wallsend resulted in a win for Valentine by 11 goals to Nil-and included a Valentine penalty miss.Westy GK Mark Shalimov had a great game in spite of the score and saved at least another 5 goals including a penalty-had no defence to help him.16 or 17 goals would have been a fair result.
Under 23 Westy Nil Valentine 5
Under 19 Westy 3 Valentine 2

It is going to be a very long season out West.

newie4eva
22-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Good day at Cessnock with wins in all 3 grades.
19s 7-2
23s 1-0
1st 2-0

Very entertaining game in first grade with both teams having opportunities. I said in an early post that I hoped Cessnock had someone who can put the ball in the net and that nearly bit Cessnock in the ass with a lot of opportunities and half chances being squandered in first half.

0-0 for three quarters of the game with a penalty finally getting them the lead. A well worked goal with about 5 to go sealed it.

IMO and clearly from a Cessnock supporters eyes they should have won by more. At 0-0 though Singleton could have easily pinched a goal and wasn't a bad effort by them first up. The very hot conditions made it tough for all the players throughout the grades.

Both squads lack depth and this will make it tough when their top players are unavailable.

Very enjoyable day.

hawk
22-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Westy v Valo

19s 3-2 westy
22s 5-0 valo
1sts 11-0 valo

holy sh*t, that wasnt a trial.

Thomas477
22-03-2014, 11:34 PM
****ing hell 11 nil.

Wow.

newie4eva
23-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Anyone know any scores from today ?

Jose
23-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Maitland v Thornton

1sts 4-1 Maitland
23s 2-1 Maitland
19s 7-0 Maitland

newie4eva
23-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Hey Sancho i decided to make an account just to let you know where i'm from. Newcastle! Not much research you can do on the NEWFM league and i got my info from Belswans 22s players as coaches didn't reply to my message asking for squad lists. Maybe you can keep me updated from now on?

Welcome Blake

People appreciate the effort you go to so please don't take anything personally as there has been some ordinary reporting of Newfm in the past.

You will get good info on here from Sancho as he has always kept us up-to-date with Belswans info and is a passionate supporter.

If people from every club can share their info and what they see at games on here then it will make your job easier and lead to quality previews and reviews each week as well as good stuff to read here. I for one am looking forward to reading what people post and Blake's write ups.

Hopefully we see post about games and players doing well not the old tired argument of how poor the comp is.

sancho_theswan
23-03-2014, 06:58 PM
I assume seeing as though there's no quotes from the belswans coach that he wasn't contactable to confirm or deny which players were and weren't there. How else can the writer get his info for this league?

Good article, decent effort imo

Firstly….. why would you assume???? I "waddled" down to Pelican RSL on Friday night for the BelSwans 2014 Season Launch. Actually asked to the coaches and club officials and guess what… NOONE HAD BE CONTACTED BY THIS BLOKE...BLAKE! They all thought the article was "funny".
You write what you know… don't make stuff up to "fill space".

other stuff did seem well written however.

sancho_theswan
23-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Hey Sancho i decided to make an account just to let you know where i'm from. Newcastle! Not much research you can do on the NEWFM league and i got my info from Belswans 22s players as coaches didn't reply to my message asking for squad lists. Maybe you can keep me updated from now on?

Well hello Blake… Good on you for joining the forum….. Welcome.
But…

What has where your from have to do with credibility. The way communications are these days you could be operating out of Mumbai.
You have the ability to do lots of research on the "NEWFM league" if you want too. I find it weird that you would have comments from current BelSwans 22's??? uhmmm 23's??? about players who are not registered with the club , haven't played with the club since July 2013 and are either living interstate or out of the country.
Don't you get paid to write your previews / game reports…. why would I do your job for you… unless I rise to payrole status… doubt it some how!!!

sancho_theswan
23-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Todays results… from Stagsville….(Blake).

19's.. 2-2. Draw
23's.. 6-1 BelSwans.
1st's.. 4-0 BelSwans.

Imyourhero
23-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Calm down big mahn

terry
23-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Brilliant news good results. You asked where i was from so I answered. I emailed the coach and called. Maybe I've been given the wrong details...
Welcome the the local forum. Self importance and chest beating seems to be a disease on here sometimes.

Blake, why do you report on NewFM league?

GazFish35
23-03-2014, 11:19 PM
I did some reporting work with the Jets during the W League and they liked my work so they offered me the job. I've played since I was 5 and I'm studying comms at uni so I quit so I could do the job.

Wanna write for the jetstream ..... under pseudonym

Welcome aboard.

fresh
24-03-2014, 12:12 AM
ahh newfm. it seems the cricket scores have commenced. Beautiful

NewFM 2014
24-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Well due to late work commitments I never made it to the game at the weekend but what a result 11-0 !!!! Heard the boys played really well and it might actually have been more than eleven.

outsider
24-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Well due to late work commitments I never made it to the game at the weekend but what a result 11-0 !!!! Heard the boys played really well and it might actually have been more than eleven.

Wesy GK had a real good game-score could have been 15 plus except for him-made some great saves including a pen.

newie4eva
24-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Brilliant news good results. You asked where i was from so I answered. I emailed the coach and called. Maybe I've been given the wrong details...

Hey bj23
When does the review go up on the Northern site ?
Cheers

newi24-2-08
24-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Give the bloke a break. It's a 2nd division comp in a region dominated by rugby league, the comp doesn't even deserve a write up to be fair.

Good luck with the communications degree bj23. Btw I thought the preview was great

fresh
24-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Give the bloke a break. It's a 2nd division comp in a region dominated by rugby league, the comp doesn't even deserve a write up to be fair.

Good luck with the communications degree bj23. Btw I thought the preview was great

where do you get your facts?

how many comps do rugby league have from juniors to seniors? What is the participation rate?

Knights may have a bigger fanbase then jets. But football/soccer is alot bigger then rugby league here now.

at least 4x more registered players ( and im being very very kind with that figure)

newie4eva
24-03-2014, 08:01 PM
I've written them and sent them away, as to when they'll be put online i'm not sure. I'm assuming tomorrow as i can't imagine them being put on tonight if they're not already.

Thanks bj just wanted to know when to look out for them.

Keep up the good work.

Johnny
24-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Thanks bj23 for the preview mate. Looking forward to the review. keep up the good work mate

sancho_theswan
24-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Ok… I'm declaring / calling a truce with my new friend Blake. It has been brought to my attention that he has emailed the BelSwans club with an apology of sorts where he declared that he had been given some wrong information.
Good on you Blake and good luck in your endeavours. I look forward to reading your Round 1 wrap.

Newy
25-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Good result for you guys Sancho, how was the game... Completely one sided? Could of been more? Goal scorers.... The only game I managed on the weekend was Valo vs Westy....
I think Valo have sent a message to the rest of the league...

cobra23
25-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Hey Sancho,

Heard Shane Paul scored an absolute bomb, great player...

Elude
25-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Review | NEWFM 1st Division Round 1
March 25, 2014
By Blake Jarrett
Maitland FC 4 def. 1 Thornton Redbacks FC
Cook Square Park
Match of the Round

In the NEWFM 1st Division Match of the Round Maitland defeated Thornton 4 -1 at Cook Square Park.

Ben Martin opened the scoring for the home side, however a quick reply from Thornton’s Tim Gleeson immediately made the score 1-1.

A Roger Dowdell goal put the home side back in front, and shortly after Ben Martin doubled his total to make the score 3-1 going into half time.

Maitland’s Justin Broadley scored the only goal of the second half; the match ending 4-1 to the home side.

Maitland coach Graham Law said he was aware of the rivalry between Maitland and Thornton, and the game was everything he expected.

‘I know both sides value the bragging rights gained as a result of winning the local derby. Thornton tried to stop us from playing, but credit to my boys, we did well’, he said.

Law commended the performance of striker Ben Martin, and was also full of praise for Thornton keeper Drew Olsen who denied Martin his hat trick with a superb penalty save.

Thornton Coach Darrel McAllister was happy with his side’s effort despite a disrupted pre-season.

‘We had a fair few injuries throughout the season’, he said. ‘We have a young side and I was happy with the way they came out and played’.

McAllister went on to suggest Maitland deserved the win, however recognised the chances that his side was left to rue.

‘We hit the crossbar and missed a few one-on-ones. In saying that however I still thought the best team on the day won’.

Jesse Smith, Tallan Martin, first grade debutant Jordan Smallhorne and keeper Drew Olsen were all standouts for the Redbacks.

Next week Maitland host Singleton and Thornton will also be at home against Toronto Awaba.

West Wallsend SFC 0 def. by 11 Valentine FC
Johnston Park

West Wallsend hosted Valentine in the opening game of the NEWFM 1st Division season.

A win was imperative for both sides: for West Wallsend; to put a horror pre-season behind them, and for Valentine; to establish themselves as a top side in the competition after being demoted from the NBN State League.

It was the visitors that came away with the three points in what was an opening round West Wallsend will want to forget.

Martin Banks and Sean Potter recorded hat tricks, Brett Adcock scored two, and Luke Barnier, Paul McGinley and Scott McGinley all scored one each on their way to a massive 11-0 win.

Valentine coach Alan Hackett was delighted with the win, however insisted that his side were not getting ahead of themselves.

‘It was a great win where we dictated the game’, he said. ‘We had five by halftime then we went on to get six in the second half. But you’re only as good as your next game so we will continue to worry about ourselves and take the season game by game’.

West Wallsend coach Evan Gardiner was able to identify several positives after the massive loss.

‘A positive for me is we now know where we are at. We’ve only had about four weeks together as a squad and today finally gave me a better idea of potential formations’, he said.

He ironically identified keeper Mark Shalimov as a standout during the match, suggesting that although his side conceded 11 goals, it potentially could have been seventeen with Shalimov pulling off five or six quality saves.

Next week Valentine host Cessnock City in the match of the round, and West Wallsend travel to Blacksmiths Oval to take on Belmont Swansea.

Cessnock City FC 2 def. 0 Singleton SC
Turner Park

Cessnock recorded their first win of the 2014 NEWFM 1st Division season after a 2-0 victory over Singleton at Turner Park on Saturday.

The sides went into the half time break locked at 0-0, however second half goals to Justin Lang and Jeremy Morton saw Cessnock pick up the three points.

Cessnock Coach Stephen Thompson was content that his side was able to push on in the second half in what he described as extremely hot and humid conditions.

‘We played well I thought’, Thompson said. ‘I’ve only just taken over this squad and it will take a while for the boys to start playing the style of football I’d ultimately like, but today was a positive sign. We could’ve had two or three more.’

Thompson identified new signing Kieran Delaney as a standout.

‘Kieran was outstanding today. He was quality both on and off the ball. Another positive was the performance of youngster Sam Ross. It was his first game of first grade and he was extremely strong in the backline.’

Cessnock travel to Valentine to compete in the Match of the Round next week at Cahill Oval, and Singleton will play Maitland at Cook Square Park.

Tornto Awaba FC 0 def. by 4 Belmont Swansea United FC
Lyall Peacock Field

In the final game of the NEWFM 1st Division first round Toronto Awaba hosted Belmont Swansea at Lyall Peacock Field.

The visitors were without Joel Shearer and Arturo Diaz, however they established their dominance on the game early when Shane Paul netted in the sixth minute.

Tim Shultz then scored in the fifteenth minute followed by a Justin Hall penalty ten minutes later.

Both sides continued to create opportunities but neither could add to the 3-0 score line and it remained that going into the half time break.

BelSwans’ Andrew Simpson scored the only goal of the second half to give the visitors a 4-0 win.

Belmont Swansea coach Brad Paul was happy with the team’s performance and equally as happy about the result.

‘I was happy with the win’, he said. ‘The goal at half time was to keep Toronto scoreless and we achieved that.’

Paul went on to commend the performance of Shane Paul, as well as stating his content with youngsters Jaydon Rolla and Tim Shultz; labeling the trio as three standout players throughout the match.

In Round 2 action Toronto will travel to Thornton and Belmont Swansea host West Wallsend at Blacksmiths Oval.

sancho_theswan
26-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Cheers to Blake..... 3 of them!

NewFM 2014
26-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Yep good reading ... anyone see the Cessnock game at the weekend ?

newie4eva
26-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Yep good reading ... anyone see the Cessnock game at the weekend ?

Thought you did your own spying missions lol

It was a good entertaining game with Cessnock really trying to play the ball around. New coach with new ideas so I expect it to keep improving as the year goes on if the boys have the right attitude.

Valo will be a very difficult game as they have some quality players from the previous year (I have watched a few Valo games over the last two years) and they will have a good year and I think they will be a bit too good for Cessnock at this stage.

Only my opinion but If Cessnock continue to play the way they did on the weekend they will have a much improved season and Their supporters will enjoy watching them. They have some good young players in the 19s and they blooded one last week so if they can keep them and their coach improves their clubs style of play then theirs no reason they can't challenge for finals next year. They need these kids to step up to improve their quality of depth.

I must say though it is the first time I have watched them play so must make it clear I don't know their previous style just going on results from last year but I think it's fair to say they certainly played better than what I expected on last years results and reading all the reviews from last season as well.

No shot intended at previous players or coaches so hopefully no offence will be taken.

Elude
28-03-2014, 05:40 AM
I'll take a stab at this weekends results.
Valo 4 Cessnock 1
Belmont 5 Westy 0
Maitland 5 Singo 1
Thornton 3 Stags 0

Zeus
28-03-2014, 09:30 AM
I'll take a stab at this weekends results.
Valo 4 Cessnock 1
Belmont 5 Westy 0
Maitland 5 Singo 1
Thornton 3 Stags 0

Valo 4-0 Cessnock
Belmont 8-0 Westy
Maitland 7-0 Singleton
Thornton 2-1 Stags

pv4
28-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Predictions:
Phoenix 3-1 Cessnock
Belswans 8-1 Westy
Maitland 4-0 Singo
Thornton 0-3 Stags

gk1985
28-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Last chance CONTACT ME ASAP if you are looking for a game!

Newcastle University FC

We are currently looking for a GOAL KEEPER to join our ZPL squad after a couple players have pulled the pin last minute. If you are a goal keeper or know of someone who would be interested in having a run this season either contact myself or come along to training. Be quick about it, its getting close to our cut off date.

Contact
Email: joshua.piotrowski@uon.edu.au
Ph: 0422284293

Training details
Tuesday: 7pm, oval no.3 behind the forum at the uni
Thursday: 7pm, oval no.2 next to the forum at the uni

any other details can be found on our website.
http://www.newcastleunifc.com

Johnny
28-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Predictions
Going for an upset
Valo 2 cessnock 3
Belmont 5 westy 1
Maitland 6 singo 0
Thornton 2 stags 3

The Postman
28-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Valentine 3 Cessnock 1
Belmont 6 Wallsend 0
Maitland 5 Singleton 1
Thornton 1 Toronto 2

Newy
28-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Valentine 2 Cessnock 2
Belmont 5 westy 0
Maitland 2 Singleton 0
Thornton 1 Toronto 1

The Baby Piglet
28-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Valentine 6 - Cessnock 1
Bel-swans 6 - Westy 0
Maitland 7 - Strikers 1
Thornton 3 - Toronto 1

newie4eva
28-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Predictions
Valentine 3 - Cessnock 1
Bel-swans 6 - Westy 0
Maitland 8 - Strikers 1
Thornton 3 - Toronto 2

ForeverRed
28-03-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm tipping a cessnock upset

sancho_theswan
28-03-2014, 05:42 PM

Is that a gut feeling?

newie4eva
28-03-2014, 06:07 PM

I'm tipping a wash out :closed:

ForeverRed
28-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Is that a gut feeling?
Totally

Bang_Bang
28-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Newcastle livers what's the chance of any games being played this weekend ?

sancho_theswan
28-03-2014, 10:13 PM

What???

MFKS
29-03-2014, 07:45 AM

I take it you are referring to Newy residents??

At the moment better than they looked last night.

Sun shine is in vogue this morning although it may not be enough as we have had a week of overcast and rainy weather and some pitches may not have the time to dry out enough

newie4eva
29-03-2014, 10:03 AM
From Cessnock Facebook

Cessnock City Hornets FC
25 minutes ago ·
Round 2 CANCELLATION!!

Due to this weeks weather conditions, today's Round 2 fixture vs Valentine Phoenix has been cancelled.

sancho_theswan
29-03-2014, 08:07 PM
From Cessnock Facebook

Cessnock City Hornets FC
25 minutes ago ·
Round 2 CANCELLATION!!

Due to this weeks weather conditions, today's Round 2 fixture vs Valentine Phoenix has been cancelled.

As in never to be played again?

zzzzzzzzzz
29-03-2014, 09:04 PM
nah.. U19's this Tuesday, first grade and 23's Wednesday week

hawk
29-03-2014, 11:21 PM
lol, its postponed then

NewFM 2014
30-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Anybody know if the belswans game went ahead yesterday and also if the Maitland v Singo game is on today ?

JCBT
30-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Anybody know if the belswans game went ahead yesterday and also if the Maitland v Singo game is on today ?
Facebook has Maitland v Singo all 3 grades on.

Beast
30-03-2014, 09:37 AM
3-1 swans, firsts
10-1 swans
2-2

NewFM 2014
30-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks beast

In what order ?

By that order did first grade score 2-2 ?

Imyourhero
30-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Its says firsts 3-1

NewFM 2014
30-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Its says firsts 3-1

It does now - did not before

Thanks beast - good start to season for belswans

JCBT
30-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Maitland 3 - 0 Singleton 1st Grade
Maitland 3 - 1 Singleton U/23's
Maitland 10 - 0 Singleton U/19's

Drunken ranger
30-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Bit of a dribbling in 19's there

supa
30-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Maitland 3 - 0 Singleton 1st Grade
Maitland 3 - 1 Singleton U/23's
Maitland 10 - 0 Singleton U/19's

off-topic as not about first grade but how on earth is it ok for a 19's team in this division to not even show up with 11 players?

JCBT
30-03-2014, 06:47 PM
I was told they did have 11 for the 2nd half but yeah it's not good and to be honest I can't see why the fed persist with them in the competition.

supa
30-03-2014, 07:30 PM
I was told they did have 11 for the 2nd half but yeah it's not good and to be honest I can't see why the fed persist with them in the competition.
yeah i was aware they had the full compliment at the end.. field player in goals to top it off

Elude
30-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Not a bad result for Singo. Do you know who scored for Maitland?

JCBT
30-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Ryan Broadley, Ben Martin, Mitchell Higgins.

Cunning stunts
02-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Dont know what others rate him but i know that Alex read is returning to the area if any club has a interest, seeming as it would be hard to find a NBN club with rooms in there point system at this late stage as someone mentioned to me

sancho_theswan
02-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Dont know what others rate him but i know that Alex read is returning to the area if any club has a interest, seeming as it would be hard to find a NBN club with rooms in there point system at this late stage as someone mentioned to me

Done!!! We'll take him. I've heard BelSwans are in the market looking for a replacement for the "Portugese character" and… he won't need to worry about no points stuff! Send him along to Blacksmiths Oval. Training Tues/Thurs nights 6:30 - 8:00. Thank You Cunning Stunts!

Cunning stunts
02-04-2014, 02:32 PM
haha sorry sancho, thats for your club to chase him haha i dont have anything like that to do with him i just know the rumour is true