PDA

View Full Version : The Music Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

plague
25-10-2017, 09:46 PM
You think I'm stating a preference - but I'm not.

I can't come to grips with a lot of the Scando heavy metal stuff - but totally recognise it as innovative and progressive.

The shit I'm ripping into is derivative.

oh well then thats when we get into a whole 'nuther discussion about what we believe 'good' music to be.
i can appreciate the technical side to it, but the emotive side always draws me in more. and by emotive im only equating it to my reaction. it either hits me or it doesnt.

i got taught by a very technical guitarist and he swore by the old school shred gods. but man oh man it just never gripped me the way it did him.
i admired the skill level no doubt, but some broke ass punk band could bust out 4 rusty cords, or Eddie Vedder and a 5 string telecaster could starting strumming away and id feel way more connected to it.

then we get into whether electronic music is actually music, or whether John Williams is the greatest pop musician in the history of the universe.

i always looked at my guitar teacher the way i looked at paintings. id stare at a picasso and he'd be all like "that guys head isnt even on straight".

dude was/is a legend, we got on well. but we were two different cats thats fo sure.

parksey
25-10-2017, 11:21 PM
the killers' new songs are pretty crap tbh

but i've only ever been a casual fan of them. first album has some rippers, and i used to belt out 'when you were young' with my dad as a wee lad.

The Dunster
26-10-2017, 12:00 AM
Plague was your guitar teacher Don Andrews?

Lucky if it was - one of the greatest and he was a lovely bloke as well.

plague
26-10-2017, 09:51 AM
the killers' new songs are pretty crap tbh

I always feel better about my opinions when they sit on the other side of the people who voted ‘Pretty Fly For a White Guy’ as the song of the year back in the day.

The Dunster
26-10-2017, 10:25 AM
I always feel better about my opinions when they sit on the other side of the people who voted ‘Pretty Fly For a White Guy’ as the song of the year back in the day.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. The Power Chord sequence to that song is awesome. Would have to be one of the most fun songs to play ever written - and simple as well.

then again......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_yphcj0tQI

plague
26-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Oh I couldn’t give a toss about the song itself.
It was the speed of the backpedal once everyone decided Offspring were no longer ‘cool’.

Much like a couple years back when we were told that Taylor Swift was illeligable for the prestigious award because she was ‘too commercial’ or ‘a sellout’ or some such nonsense but the same logic didn’t apply to the song that won that was sold to a multi national corporation to use as their jingle.

I won’t have those people tell me what’s good or bad.

The Dunster
26-10-2017, 01:24 PM
Oh I couldn’t give a toss about the song itself.
It was the speed of the backpedal once everyone decided Offspring were no longer ‘cool’.

Much like a couple years back when we were told that Taylor Swift was illeligable for the prestigious award because she was ‘too commercial’ or ‘a sellout’ or some such nonsense but the same logic didn’t apply to the song that won that was sold to a multi national corporation to use as their jingle.

I won’t have those people tell me what’s good or bad.

Sign of the times I think. People want something as far removed from the shit reality of life these days - and Taylor Swift fits the bill for a lot of people. It's light, simple, and doesn't require any real effort to digest.

Every generation has their Taylor Swifts - young people hating on her now will one day be in their 40's and go - hey she wasn't that bad after all. Much like my Generation and bands like Bay City Rollers... et al

My mates would have punched the crap out of me for listening to BCR in the 70's - but now most of them would not have an issue.

plague
26-10-2017, 03:24 PM
Hey man I don’t see the difference between Taylor Swift and Julia Stone but yeah the cool kids will certainly tell me.

Macca
26-10-2017, 03:37 PM
Taylor Swift is better looking.

The Dunster
26-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Hey man I don’t see the difference between Taylor Swift and Julia Stone but yeah the cool kids will certainly tell me.

Agreed. Both Whores for the music industry. If anything Julia Stone is worse because she portrays herself as an artist - which is complete garbage when you look at how hard her shit is marketed. Taylor Swift doesn't seem to hide the fact she's out to make a dollar.

sammydog
26-10-2017, 04:45 PM
Agreed. Both Whores for the music industry. If anything Julia Stone is worse because she portrays herself as an artist - which is complete garbage when you look at how hard her shit is marketed. Taylor Swift doesn't seem to hide the fact she's out to make a dollar.

Thats a big thing. Ive got no issue with artists making a buck, but don't come out and try and hide it and portray yourself as something completely different.

If I like an artist, I don't care if they are commercial and chasing the $$$, but if they are obviously trying to pretend otherwise it makes it a bit hard to swallow.

Back to the Offspring though. I never had a problem with their music, but it just never held my attention which is funny as I did like other bands of the same Genre at the time (NoFX, Pennywise, Bad Religion, etc). I put Blink-182 in the same category as the offspring, didnt mind them but they just didn't do anything I wanted to listen to.

parksey
26-10-2017, 11:31 PM

That probably explains why you like the new Killers songs.

hawk
27-10-2017, 12:01 AM
(NoFX, Pennywise, Bad Religion, etc). I put Blink-182 .

All had good rotation on the J's in the early to mid 90's. I have a few tracks from all these. Man being at uni during this time was something

plague
27-10-2017, 12:07 AM
That probably explains why you like the new Killers songs.

haha hey man an old person once told me that 'ignorance is bliss' and sometimes im all good with that all you woke kids can come explain the world to me one day im over here listening to white people music tapping my toes.

The Dunster
04-11-2017, 11:13 AM
https://cdn.netrider.net.au/attachments/not-all-birds-sing-png.201736/

StannyCFCJET
04-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Tonight Alive played at the Cambridge last night it was awesome

furns
04-11-2017, 01:47 PM
All had good rotation on the J's in the early to mid 90's. I have a few tracks from all these. Man being at uni during this time was something
Not wrong. Listening to Double J at the moment and they are playing Live at the Wireless. Finished a You Am I set, then its straight onto Spiderbait.
Takes me back, I tells ya.

plague
04-11-2017, 06:11 PM
Spiderbait playing up in the vineyards now with all the other old timers.
Life comes at you fast.

The Dunster
04-11-2017, 06:35 PM
Spiderbait playing up in the vineyards now with all the other old timers.
Life comes at you fast.

The trick is to realise a band is shit five years before they play at the vineyards - not when tickets go on sale.
The crowd at those events are more interested in texting /sending selfies to people they know - rather than actually enjoying the music.
I'm a massive Who and Rolling Stones fan - but once they signed up to play the Vineyards it's like - do they even remember why they got into music in the first place? Surely it wasn't to entertain that crowd of cork sniffing oxygen thieves.

hawk
04-11-2017, 11:39 PM
The trick is to realise a band is shit five years before they play at the vineyards - not when tickets go on sale.
The crowd at those events are more interested in texting /sending selfies to people they know - rather than actually enjoying the music.
I'm a massive Who and Rolling Stones fan - but once they signed up to play the Vineyards it's like - do they even remember why they got into music in the first place? Surely it wasn't to entertain that crowd of cork sniffing oxygen thieves.

ah the whingeyards. Overpriced everything to catch the cashed up over tanned 40's and over crowed.

I love the bait but will need the pub route. gimme a sweaty throbbing hunter on hunter anyday. If the Bait play plastic think of the Membah

plague
04-11-2017, 11:40 PM
ah the whingeyards. Overpriced everything

to be fair theres a couple decent golf courses up there though

sammydog
06-11-2017, 12:24 AM
gimme a sweaty throbbing hunter on hunter anyday.

That takes me back, seen and played in some cracking gigs in that place.

Shihad at 48 Watt Street has me a bit excited.

StannyCFCJET
09-11-2017, 07:24 PM
Download Festival Line up looks good

Bon
10-11-2017, 02:11 PM
Download Festival Line up looks good

Not a bad first announcement.. They would want to add a few more decent bands though..
So far I'd only be there for Mastodon, Gojira, Suicidal (Beeeeen is already chubbing up over them coming out), Arch Enemy and Croppers..
Oh, and I'd be keen to see Korn again, if only to just hope that they play something/anything from their first two (and the only good) albums..

https://i1.wp.com/www.noise11.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Download-Festival.jpg?resize=1200%2C1697

Mark325
10-11-2017, 03:41 PM
the money used on a band like limp bizkit could've been used so much more smartly i'd imagine on someone of equal size and of much higher musical quality

I think the line-up is really missing that one big band, korn don't really have that feeling to em, like download in the u.k got ozzy as their headliner, that feels big and worth something, even a soad woulda worked as that bigger band

plague
10-11-2017, 06:47 PM
Of course Good Charlotte and Fred Durst deserve to be on the same bill.

Geez Louise.

StannyCFCJET
10-11-2017, 07:07 PM
Not a bad first announcement.. They would want to add a few more decent bands though..
So far I'd only be there for Mastodon, Gojira, Suicidal (Beeeeen is already chubbing up over them coming out), Arch Enemy and Croppers..
Oh, and I'd be keen to see Korn again, if only to just hope that they play something/anything from their first two (and the only good) albums..

https://i1.wp.com/www.noise11.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Download-Festival.jpg?resize=1200%2C1697

Pretty sure this is the only band announcement and their not gonna go all out on a test run. If Aussie music lovers keep being whining ****s and saying the line up is crap and im not going then it will crash and burn and its bye bye festivals down under

Mark325
10-11-2017, 08:57 PM
Pretty sure this is the only band announcement and their not gonna go all out on a test run. If Aussie music lovers keep being whining ****s and saying the line up is crap and im not going then it will crash and burn and its bye bye festivals down under

issue is metal/rock/punk fans are way more fickle then your average punter, people will go to a festival like this that because it's the thing to do. It's the same with groovin the moo, yea it's a decent festival that pulls a few good acts, good enough to sell out in half hour and have people re-selling them for triple their value, and people actually buyin them, definitely no. But, kids still do it cause ya don't wanna be the boring ass kid stuck at home durin groovin while all ya mates chuck up photos on the gram and spam snapchat.

Whereas metal doesn't have that, no one in metal is tryin to be cool so there's not that pressure to go. Also, even though there are people who are fans of particular DJ's, there doesn't need to be that same attachment to the artist to enjoy a DJ as there is to enjoy a band. Fans of the genres represented at download are always gonna have a whinge cause there's more requirements put on these festivals then your typical festival aimed at fresh 18 year old.

hawk
10-11-2017, 09:27 PM
issue is metal/rock/punk fans are way more fickle then your average punter, people will go to a festival like this that because it's the thing to do. It's the same with groovin the moo, yea it's a decent festival that pulls a few good acts, good enough to sell out in half hour and have people re-selling them for triple their value, and people actually buyin them, definitely no. But, kids still do it cause ya don't wanna be the boring ass kid stuck at home durin groovin while all ya mates chuck up photos on the gram and spam snapchat..

probs 50/50 with festivals being victim from teenage culture as its easy and devastating to lose a peer group at school if you dont join in. man i would have gone to any concert to fit in.

not long after uni sorted all that rubbish out. ive gone to melb pubs to watch a band just to avoid the vineyards

Bon
13-11-2017, 04:02 PM
issue is metal/rock/punk fans are way more fickle then your average punter, people will go to a festival like this that because it's the thing to do. It's the same with groovin the moo, yea it's a decent festival that pulls a few good acts, good enough to sell out in half hour and have people re-selling them for triple their value, and people actually buyin them, definitely no. But, kids still do it cause ya don't wanna be the boring ass kid stuck at home durin groovin while all ya mates chuck up photos on the gram and spam snapchat.

Whereas metal doesn't have that, no one in metal is tryin to be cool so there's not that pressure to go. Also, even though there are people who are fans of particular DJ's, there doesn't need to be that same attachment to the artist to enjoy a DJ as there is to enjoy a band. Fans of the genres represented at download are always gonna have a whinge cause there's more requirements put on these festivals then your typical festival aimed at fresh 18 year old.

Yeah, well said man..
Although, there are plenty of people in metal trying to be cool.. A lot of elitists "this band is better than your band", "i saw them years before you even heard of them" etc.. More for the metal cred I guess, than for an insta selfie or fomo..

Mark325
13-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Yeah, well said man..
Although, there are plenty of people in metal trying to be cool.. A lot of elitists "this band is better than your band", "i saw them years before you even heard of them" etc.. More for the metal cred I guess, than for an insta selfie or fomo..

yea its a different level of cool, it's more i listen to deafhaven and you listen to slipknot type elitism, not in the way that kids need to be cool and go to the festival and also buy a festival outfit that they'll wear that one time

I think a lot less people would be whinging if you replaced durst and good charlotte with a bigger and more respectable headliner. Like lets say instead of them two they grabbed ozzy or ax7, woulda been an instantly bigger hit. I'd argue you coulda got rid of prophets of rage as well for a judas priest or a perfect circle and it woulda been wayyy better recieved

StannyCFCJET
13-11-2017, 06:08 PM
yea its a different level of cool, it's more i listen to deafhaven and you listen to slipknot type elitism, not in the way that kids need to be cool and go to the festival and also buy a festival outfit that they'll wear that one time

I think a lot less people would be whinging if you replaced durst and good charlotte with a bigger and more respectable headliner. Like lets say instead of them two they grabbed ozzy or ax7, woulda been an instantly bigger hit. I'd argue you coulda got rid of prophets of rage as well for a judas priest or a perfect circle and it woulda been wayyy better recieved

Good Charlotte are big and are good live but because their not "Metal" They dont belong on this festival. Green day and Blink 182 are from a similar genre and headlined Soundwave and got a bigger crowd and reception then most of the metal bands to ever play the festival. So don't write them off as less respectable.

The Dunster
13-11-2017, 10:06 PM
It's unfortunate that the youngsters these days don't really get to see live music like we did in the 70's to 80's - unless they fork out a shit load of dollars. Even then they often have to contend with big crowds, poor acoustics, meat head security, not too mention product bundling whereby you pay for a package rather than just the band you actually want to see.

To put things in perspective. Dire Straits in the mid 80's cost about $30, Queen was $25, Iron Maiden Powerslave tour was $20, Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers Tour was $25, Springsteen Born in the USA was $27... and so on.

Prior to that, I was seeing Midnight Oil [when they played Surf music type shit] for $5 at War and Peace, Sunny Boys, Angels, Dragon [If Hunter wasn't on the smack they were unbeatable live], Cold Chisel, Keven Borich, Australian Crawl, U2 for I think $20 ... and a heap of others for no more than $10 but usually for nothing. For the record U2 were shit and not musicians arseholes in 1984.

Obviously wages have grown... but the shit these days is simply wayyy too expensive in comparison.

Edit: I forgot to mention The Saints -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcBRcSLyFlQ

The Dunster
13-11-2017, 10:12 PM
Good Charlotte are big and are good live but because their not "Metal" They dont belong on this festival. Green day and Blink 182 are from a similar genre and headlined Soundwave and got a bigger crowd and reception then most of the metal bands to ever play the festival. So don't write them off as less respectable.

Greenday are a Stiff Little Fingers tribute band ffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKsN5cj9ehs

sammydog
13-11-2017, 10:40 PM
It's unfortunate that the youngsters these days don't really get to see live music like we did in the 70's to 80's - unless they fork out a shit load of dollars. Even then they often have to contend with big crowds, poor acoustics, meat head security, not too mention product bundling whereby you pay for a package rather than just the band you actually want to see.

To put things in perspective. Dire Straits in the mid 80's cost about $30, Queen was $25, Iron Maiden Powerslave tour was $20, Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers Tour was $25, Springsteen Born in the USA was $27... and so on.

Prior to that, I was seeing Midnight Oil [when they played Surf music type shit] for $5 at War and Peace, Sunny Boys, Angels, Dragon [If Hunter wasn't on the smack they were unbeatable live], Cold Chisel, Keven Borich, Australian Crawl, U2 for I think $20 ... and a heap of others for no more than $10 but usually for nothing. For the record U2 were shit and not musicians arseholes in 1984.

Obviously wages have grown... but the shit these days is simply wayyy too expensive in comparison.

Edit: I forgot to mention The Saints -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcBRcSLyFlQ

Even the 90's were cheap, the number of international acts that came through the Uni in that time period (with dirt cheap ticket prices) was unbelievable.

I still believe, people should get off their arse and support local original music. Lots of good stuff out there, very cheap to get into and who knows, you may find a band you really like.

plague
13-11-2017, 11:31 PM
as far as costs are concerned, live music has spiked for a few legit reasons.

Insurance policies are through the roof the second you wanna get more than 2 human beings in the one public space. Even back in the old days you had to cover yourself for any pelican short hopping the landing on a stage dive, but nowadays you need insurance to cover any lawsuits from some poor petals feelings getting hurt from some nasty lyrics or gyrating backup dancers.

also, not much coin being made from record sales anymore. even the well off established artists are crying poor with spotify etc ruling the roost.
live gigs are where the bands make their real coin, so pay up or go see Perry Como down the local bowlo and jag yourself a meat tray if you're lucky.

Mark325
14-11-2017, 12:08 AM

I don't necessarily write them off as less respectable, I just feel that they have way more pop appeal, and are on a line up that features no other real pop punk acts outside of neck deep. They just stick out on the line up, the people who will wanna see them will go to their tour and not this festival

StannyCFCJET
14-11-2017, 07:03 PM
I don't necessarily write them off as less respectable, I just feel that they have way more pop appeal, and are on a line up that features no other real pop punk acts outside of neck deep. They just stick out on the line up, the people who will wanna see them will go to their tour and not this festival Trophy Eyes and Story so far are kinda in that genre as well. And Plenty of People like metal and pop punk so they get bands they like in both genres

The Dunster
14-11-2017, 08:40 PM
as far as costs are concerned, live music has spiked for a few legit reasons.

Insurance policies are through the roof the second you wanna get more than 2 human beings in the one public space. Even back in the old days you had to cover yourself for any pelican short hopping the landing on a stage dive, but nowadays you need insurance to cover any lawsuits from some poor petals feelings getting hurt from some nasty lyrics or gyrating backup dancers.

also, not much coin being made from record sales anymore. even the well off established artists are crying poor with spotify etc ruling the roost.
live gigs are where the bands make their real coin, so pay up or go see Perry Como down the local bowlo and jag yourself a meat tray if you're lucky.

There wasn't much coin from record sales in the 60's, 70's and 80's for the artists either - management and the Harvard MBA's robbed most of them blind. Bands like The Who, Kinks, and Rolling Stones didn't see any decent money until the mid 70's.

Too many non-musical **** wits wanting a slice of the pie is the problem.

Bon
20-12-2017, 12:30 PM
Hey Grim (and probably Dunster too, I know he likes giving things a crack), you given the new Mastodon EP "Cold Dark Place" a listen yet??
4 songs.. Its bloody amazing.. Heaps more like the Crack The Skye style..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSUwWkhP5Jo

Grimario
20-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Had a listen on Spotify earlier. Decent (y)

The Dunster
20-12-2017, 03:06 PM
Hey Grim (and probably Dunster too, I know he likes giving things a crack), you given the new Mastodon EP "Cold Dark Place" a listen yet??
4 songs.. Its bloody amazing.. Heaps more like the Crack The Skye style..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSUwWkhP5Jo

It's brilliant. And it's something that will get better the more times you listen to it as it's got a hell of a lot going on under the surface - unlike the usual shit making the mega dollars today.

The Dunster
12-01-2018, 04:27 AM
Did anyone catch Billy Gibbons at the Civic ? Apparently he was completely aids and cancelled the rest of the tour because of all the complaints from fans. Was on stage for like 42mins and failed to do a meet and greet with fans that payed for the privilege.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/5162659/zz-tops-guitarist-cancels-final-australian-show-after-backlash/?cs=305#slide=1

Jetmaster
12-01-2018, 12:06 PM
Did anyone catch Billy Gibbons at the Civic ? Apparently he was completely aids and cancelled the rest of the tour because of all the complaints from fans. Was on stage for like 42mins and failed to do a meet and greet with fans that payed for the privilege.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/5162659/zz-tops-guitarist-cancels-final-australian-show-after-backlash/?cs=305#slide=1

No - though I have read much about it. Sounds like he signed for something that didn't suit him and he came here sulking.

The Q&A/storytelling shows only suit some and others are seeing a quid in it but not up for it. The Barnes show last year was brilliant as Jimmy could actually tell a story.

StannyCFCJET
12-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Anyone else listen to aussie alt rock group Tonight Alive. Their new album came out today and its pretty good.

The Dunster
12-01-2018, 01:37 PM
Anyone else listen to aussie alt rock group Tonight Alive. Their new album came out today and its pretty good.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5f/51/e1/5f51e10d2d2019d069dda99db952137f--hair-styles-bands.jpg

You don't have to pretend to like the music Stanny .

It's a derivative band with a cute looking female vocalist. We can put in a good word for you if ya like.

StannyCFCJET
12-01-2018, 02:20 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5f/51/e1/5f51e10d2d2019d069dda99db952137f--hair-styles-bands.jpg

You don't have to pretend to like the music Stanny .

It's a derivative band with a cute looking female vocalist. We can put in a good word for you if ya like.

Have you actually listened to their stuff??
Whole band is super talented

The Dunster
12-01-2018, 03:13 PM
Have you actually listened to their stuff??
Whole band is super talented

I have listened to it. It's not for old timers like me I guess Stanny. Which has got to be a good thing.

StannyCFCJET
12-01-2018, 03:40 PM
I have listened to it. It's not for old timers like me I guess Stanny. Which has got to be a good thing.

To each their own. But I love some old timer stuff myself.

The Dunster
12-01-2018, 04:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HhR7zKgRSs

The Dunster
12-01-2018, 04:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snts4gnkkzk

baldrick
12-01-2018, 06:03 PM

Shame really, I saw ZZ Top when they were big in the 80s & they were brilliant

hawk
12-01-2018, 06:10 PM
I aint asking for much...

The Dunster
12-01-2018, 06:36 PM
Shame really, I saw ZZ Top when they were big in the 80s & they were brilliant

That would have been ZZ top at their best as well. Very cool.

He's still one of the greatest guitar players in the world - just not the social butterfly promoters wanted.

He's better with the old band or as guest artist with his friends like when he played with John Fogarty.
https://youtu.be/XubwpLlEb8w

Jetmaster
13-01-2018, 03:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HhR7zKgRSs

Great hits in our day...none of this soooo cool or sexy shit, just great fun.

Add in a bit of Captain Matchbox Whoopie Band!

hawk
13-01-2018, 05:22 PM
ska time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3n5SbRLlM8&index=19&list=PLnU5l2jGTBSuXwun2YpdcY69puF6DWlji

Bon
18-01-2018, 10:53 AM
Tickets go on sale tomorrow morning for the Mastodon and Gojira sideshow of Download..
Sydney, Luna Park, 26th March.
Grim, you in??

We've whacked off plenty about Mastodon, but can't say enough how good Gojira are..
Best thing to come out of France since hot chicks or mustard.. Big on the environment too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGHlZwMYO9g

Grimario
18-01-2018, 11:59 AM
That would be awesome... maybe.

The Dunster
18-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Tickets go on sale tomorrow morning for the Mastodon and Gojira sideshow of Download..
Sydney, Luna Park, 26th March.
Grim, you in??

We've whacked off plenty about Mastodon, but can't say enough how good Gojira are..
Best thing to come out of France since hot chicks or mustard.. Big on the environment too.

Godzilla with a new bass player.

Joe Duplantier I discovered recently because I'm looking at getting another Charvel and he has a signature model. I'll put a tick next to "does technical death metal".
All he's using to get his sound is a cranked EVH with a 4x12, a delay, and a noise suppressor. Holy Shit - it sounds huge - but familiar as well.

Crazier still he's using green turtle picks like me as well - I thought he'd be using a house brick to get that sound ffs.

The Dunster
18-01-2018, 03:25 PM
Prepare to piss yourself laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=46&v=w-0CS-T1HUQ

The Dunster
18-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Drumming at its finest. Not what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW-Ll4Ii3h4

Bon
18-01-2018, 03:29 PM
Prepare to piss yourself laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=46&v=w-0CS-T1HUQ

hahaha Brilliant..
Is that Vujica on the right??

btw, I am still laughing at, and trying to understand, the Mother Goose - Baked Beans clip.. Fvck me, those guys were partying...

hawk
18-01-2018, 11:09 PM
hahaha Brilliant..
Is that Vujica on the right??
btw, I am still laughing at, and trying to understand, the Mother Goose - Baked Beans clip.. Fvck me, those guys were partying...

bahahah shred is lulz. Much like the dancing in the street. Need to be there for muther goose id reckon

Bon
19-01-2018, 11:07 AM
Godzilla with a new bass player.

Joe Duplantier I discovered recently because I'm looking at getting another Charvel and he has a signature model. I'll put a tick next to "does technical death metal".
All he's using to get his sound is a cranked EVH with a 4x12, a delay, and a noise suppressor. Holy Shit - it sounds huge - but familiar as well.

Crazier still he's using green turtle picks like me as well - I thought he'd be using a house brick to get that sound ffs.

Pretty damn amazing stuff.. Is the EVH the new one, or the classic 5150? I'll have to have a look..
I like that it isn't overdone or overproduced to get a particular sound. So many bands these days are just so effects driven, so much sh!t going on. They lose that raw, heavy sound..

The Dunster
19-01-2018, 01:19 PM
Pretty damn amazing stuff.. Is the EVH the new one, or the classic 5150? I'll have to have a look..
I like that it isn't overdone or overproduced to get a particular sound. So many bands these days are just so effects driven, so much sh!t going on. They lose that raw, heavy sound..

It's the 5150 I think. Pretty amazing bit of gear. They can do metal but also have a clean sound not unlike a Fender Blackface as well.

I agree about less is best when it comes to effects. For heavy stuff I run an amp with just an analogue delay into the fx loop - that's it. Gave up on overdrive / distortion pedals years ago - they all sound the same.

The Dunster
27-01-2018, 09:35 PM
Horrible sounds coming from Maitland tonight - some people might class it as music - I'm not so sure.

Jetmaster
28-01-2018, 06:07 PM
Horrible sounds coming from Maitland tonight - some people might class it as music - I'm not so sure.

Walked down from Shennanigans last night....what a horrible din coming from Riverside. Someone said there was "music" on....I'm with you.

The Dunster
28-01-2018, 06:15 PM
Walked down from Shenanigans last night....

What's the feed like at Shenanigans ? I usually do either of the Thai food places in Maitland, Ken's. or Maitland City Bowling Club for a steak or Chicken Snizz.

Jetmaster
29-01-2018, 08:58 AM
What's the feed like at Shenanigans ? I usually do either of the Thai food places in Maitland, Ken's. or Maitland City Bowling Club for a steak or Chicken Snizz.

Its OK - they do a good bangers and mash and Guiness pie, the rest is standard pub fare. Getting more food in there now - head east away from the mall and you get a stack of restaurants - Thai, Korean/Japanese, the best Indian food in the Hunter at Zaafran, Mexican, Italian and Vietnamese. And the two old pubs have lifted their acts as well. Even a new vegan place starting up next to Outback Jacks. Thank christ there is no real need to head into Newcastle CBD anymore.

The Dunster
29-01-2018, 01:29 PM
Its OK - they do a good bangers and mash and Guiness pie, the rest is standard pub fare. Getting more food in there now - head east away from the mall and you get a stack of restaurants - Thai, Korean/Japanese, the best Indian food in the Hunter at Zaafran, Mexican, Italian and Vietnamese. And the two old pubs have lifted their acts as well. Even a new vegan place starting up next to Outback Jacks. Thank christ there is no real need to head into Newcastle CBD anymore.

Agreed - The food options around here are excellent. Fratelli Roma is pretty good as well. Have you tried Ometto Pizza at Maitland? They make real pizza's - not the shit in a box the kiddies today call pizza.

Jetmaster
29-01-2018, 03:51 PM
Agreed - The food options around here are excellent. Fratelli Roma is pretty good as well. Have you tried Ometto Pizza at Maitland? They make real pizza's - not the shit in a box the kiddies today call pizza.

Actually, it was Fratelli I went to for dinner from the pub, superb! And we were looking at the pizza joint as well thinking that we have to try it.

plague
30-01-2018, 11:10 AM
Not sure which I’m more happy about, racism now being fixed or knowing that Kendrick Lamar will be the new jingle for my insurance company this time next year.

Thanks Triple-J.

The Dunster
30-01-2018, 04:29 PM
Never heard of Kendrick Lamar.

Macca
30-01-2018, 04:58 PM
Not really my thing, but as far as rappers go he's pretty good I believe.
Quite a talented lyricist and manages to sate both the masses and the hardcore rap fans.

What exactly it is about Humble that made it so popular I don't know, but 20% of people voted for it so clearly a lot of people liked it.

plague
30-01-2018, 05:24 PM
What exactly it is about Humble that made it so popular I don't know, but 20% of people voted for it so clearly a lot of people liked it.

Same crowd that voted for Pretty Fly for a White Guy and that insurance jingle a few years back?

Pretty content being on the other side of that fence.

Jetmaster
30-01-2018, 06:20 PM
Not being a rap person (being a boring old fart), how do those more in the know rate young Joey's efforts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDUfizU7UYg

The Dunster
30-01-2018, 06:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg11c33o87I

The Dunster
30-01-2018, 06:35 PM
Not being a rap person (being a boring old fart), how do those more in the know rate young Joey's efforts?

I subscribed to his channel - good on him for getting into it as an indie artist - it's not easy.

StannyCFCJET
30-01-2018, 06:57 PM
Same crowd that voted for Pretty Fly for a White Guy and that insurance jingle a few years back?

Pretty content being on the other side of that fence.

Hey Hey Hey that song is dope

Mark325
30-01-2018, 10:38 PM

Flow and lyric wise joey is actually quite decent and I’m a fan of his beat selection

Mark325
30-01-2018, 10:41 PM

Anyone who cares have any thoughts on this lineup? Couple of decent Aussie names mixed in with some solid internationals

The Dunster
31-01-2018, 12:50 AM

Anyone who cares have any thoughts on this lineup? Couple of decent Aussie names mixed in with some solid internationals

Anyone wanting to know what most singers sound like without a highly skilled sound engineer and Auto-Tune software should head on down to this event.

parksey
05-02-2018, 09:49 PM
Never heard of Kendrick Lamar.

Never took you for a big hip hop guy but I reckon you'd like Kendrick, especially To Pimp a Butterfly.

For the record he blew up about 5 years ago and has put out three classic albums back-to-back. Most hip hop aficionados and fans already rank him among the greats like Pac, Nas, Biggie, Eminem etc. for his lyrical talent and his artistry.

He's probably been the most important man in music for the last few years.

Also Joey's song isn't that bad!

The Dunster
06-02-2018, 01:54 AM
Never took you for a big hip hop guy but I reckon you'd like Kendrick, especially To Pimp a Butterfly.

For the record he blew up about 5 years ago and has put out three classic albums back-to-back. Most hip hop aficionados and fans already rank him among the greats like Pac, Nas, Biggie, Eminem etc. for his lyrical talent and his artistry.

One of my mates was a big Rap fan in the 70's when it all again - he said back in 1976 that he thought "Pastime Paradise" from Stevie Wonders "Song's in the Key of Life" would be the future of music.
So I sort of got into Sugar Hill Gang and GrandMasterFlash when he went solo. Later on same friend got me into Easy-E who I still like to listen to when I'm riding.

However, I don't like Snoop, Dre, IceCube, Eminem, and so on. Their music is purely designed to make money.

plague
06-02-2018, 05:48 PM

You said the same thing about Macklemore.

StannyCFCJET
06-02-2018, 06:24 PM

Also Joey's song isn't that bad!

(Scratches Head.)

parksey
07-02-2018, 08:27 PM
You said the same thing about Macklemore.

eh?

(Scratches Head.)

you need to expand your horizons beyond 90s punk rock mate.

can you name a bigger/more critically acclaimed/loved artist over the past 5 years?

Jeterpool
07-02-2018, 08:37 PM
eh?

can you name a bigger/more critically acclaimed/loved artist over the past 5 years?

Adele?

parksey
07-02-2018, 08:40 PM
One of my mates was a big Rap fan in the 70's when it all again - he said back in 1976 that he thought "Pastime Paradise" from Stevie Wonders "Song's in the Key of Life" would be the future of music.
So I sort of got into Sugar Hill Gang and GrandMasterFlash when he went solo. Later on same friend got me into Easy-E who I still like to listen to when I'm riding.

However, I don't like Snoop, Dre, IceCube, Eminem, and so on. Their music is purely designed to make money.

see what you make of this? probably one of my fav songs of his latest, Damn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKVZqKVJgJ4

and this is from To Pimp A Butterfly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-48u_uWMHY

StannyCFCJET
07-02-2018, 08:40 PM
eh?

I listen to loads of stuff these days provided its actually good. (Ive listened to humble almost a dozen times since it came number 1 in the top 100 and for the life of me still cant figure out why.)

And Thats a subjective question because the masses want stuff thats simple and readily accessible and thats translates well to pop and modern hip/hop and rap which means more people listen to it so it gets more airtime which equals to more popularity and sales, But if I had to put a name in the ring simply on quality of their recent released stuff id have to say The Foo Fighters. Also explain what you mean by most important man is music. Do you mean in reviving his genre of music?, Inspiring loads of other musical artists? or something else?

parksey
07-02-2018, 09:36 PM
I listen to loads of stuff these days provided its actually good. (Ive listened to humble almost a dozen times since it came number 1 in the top 100 and for the life of me still cant figure out why.)

And Thats a subjective question because the masses want stuff thats simple and readily accessible and thats translates well to pop and modern hip/hop and rap which means more people listen to it so it gets more airtime which equals to more popularity and sales, But if I had to put a name in the ring simply on quality of their recent released stuff id have to say The Foo Fighters. Also explain what you mean by most important man is music. Do you mean in reviving his genre of music?, Inspiring loads of other musical artists? or something else?

The Foo Fighters would be totally irrelevant today if they weren't such an established band. They haven't put out a good album in years (I actually really liked Wasting Light - that came out in 2011). Try again.

He's the most important man in music because he is universally loved by critics, his peers and fellow musicians, hip hop heads, casual fans and even Barrack Obama. No one else in music has had the same aura and cross over success as he has had. He's an icon of this generation, and it's for the right reasons; his music is provocative, political, technically fantastic, he tells important stories, and he can write a banging pop tune.

StannyCFCJET
07-02-2018, 10:14 PM
The Foo Fighters would be totally irrelevant today if they weren't such an established band. They haven't put out a good album in years (I actually really liked Wasting Light - that came out in 2011). Try again.

He's the most important man in music because he is universally loved by critics, his peers and fellow musicians, hip hop heads, casual fans and even Barrack Obama. No one else in music has had the same aura and cross over success as he has had. He's an icon of this generation, and it's for the right reasons; his music is provocative, political, technically fantastic, he tells important stories, and he can write a banging pop tune.

Their lastest album was top notch and well just have to agree to disagree. Id love to be into music like this but nothing clicks or engages me when I hear it

plague
07-02-2018, 10:58 PM
Isn't Kendrick the new Kanye who was the new Jay Z who was the new Diddy who probably took the torch from someone etc etc.

My only concern is how quick we are to labelling someone the 'best ever' (the boffins words, not yours Parksey) then move on as soon as the shiny new thing comes along.

Its actually a good parallel to the Foo Fighters. For some reason people keep coming back to them whereas in Hip Hop it seems legacy doesnt last as long.
(Foo Fighters had 2 studio albums out before Diddy released his first one - geez).

Personally every time THE NEW Foo Fighters song comes on I'm like "oh thats a pretty good Foo Fighters song" but by the 3rd listen i hate it and never want to hear it again.

Im no Kendrick aficionado either but i loved King Kunta but think Humble is a nothing song.

Great video though. really great.

q-money
07-02-2018, 11:07 PM
Isn't Kendrick the new Kanye who was the new Jay Z who was the new Diddy who probably took the torch from someone etc etc.

My only concern is how quick we are to labelling someone the 'best ever' (the boffins words, not yours Parksey) then move on as soon as the shiny new thing comes along.

Its actually a good parallel to the Foo Fighters. For some reason people keep coming back to them whereas in Hip Hop it seems legacy doesnt last as long.
(Foo Fighters had 2 studio albums out before Diddy released his first one - geez).

Personally every time THE NEW Foo Fighters song comes on I'm like "oh thats a pretty good Foo Fighters song" but by the 3rd listen i hate it and never want to hear it again.

Im no Kendrick aficionado either but i loved King Kunta but think Humble is a nothing song.

Great video though. really great.

ayo plizzle.

kendrick is decent but i'm struggling to get him into my top 10.

however - i can see why people are on him. the competition is trash. look at the dudes he's up against ffs

http://bigghostlimited.com/big-ghost-presents-the-6th-annual-10-softest-niggas-in-the-game/

plague
07-02-2018, 11:19 PM
legit question for hip hop fans.

Is Eminem good?

parksey
08-02-2018, 08:29 AM
ayo plizzle.

kendrick is decent but i'm struggling to get him into my top 10.

however - i can see why people are on him. the competition is trash. look at the dudes he's up against ffs

http://bigghostlimited.com/big-ghost-presents-the-6th-annual-10-softest-niggas-in-the-game/

yeah but your top 10 probably includes each individual member of Wu Tang and Tribe Called Quest.

The Dunster
08-02-2018, 11:57 AM
see what you make of this? probably one of my fav songs of his latest, Damn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKVZqKVJgJ4

and this is from To Pimp A Butterfly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-48u_uWMHY

He's a 21st Century Bob Dylan. The music itself doesn't come close but the lyrics and content is as relevant and poweful today as Dylan was in the 60's.

However, the music itself goes nowhere which may be intentional but it needs to be more creative to hold my attention.

Overall not for me but I can see it being important for others.

q-money
08-02-2018, 12:18 PM
yeah but your top 10 probably includes each individual member of Wu Tang and Tribe Called Quest.

you know i've never actually been a huge tribe fan. my tastes lean more to the highly ignorant

WolfMan
10-02-2018, 12:35 PM
Can’t believe Parkesy left “Free” off his TPAB list.

Always singing that to my wife

The Dunster
10-02-2018, 01:45 PM
At the barbers today and they had Beastie Boys tunes playing. I'd forgot how great they were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Y0cy-nvAg

The Dunster
23-02-2018, 03:50 PM
The genius of Ray Parker Jr - Hard to imagine any 18 year old writing something this awesome now days. Only Nile Rodgers could challenge Ray when it comes to Funk guitar grooves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzB9mBO06f0

Bon
12-03-2018, 04:14 PM
Just discovered these guys, Soften The Glare, while randomly clicking on clips at lunch..
Recognised the bassist (Ryan Martinie, ex Mudvayne) and am happy to say that the bloke can still shred..
Ridiculous bass..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmjX2S04DEQ

The Dunster
12-03-2018, 08:13 PM
Huge sound for a three Piece - and some very nice playing as well. I could definitely get into this.

Jetmaster
16-03-2018, 01:28 PM
Watched this doco on Fox Arts last week. This portion is about "I'm Not In Love".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oxe4mlsQos

Now as a boring old fart I can state one thing and that is you cannot under estimate the sheer inventiveness of some musos from the 60's and 70's. What happened here could not happen now in the days of digital recording - all that stuff about tape loops, recording in stairwells and toilets for reverb, recording thunderstorms, Mellotrons and Chamberlins fascinates me and keeps that music fresh. Like Strawberry Fields and so many others this song would not be made now - it is the recording effect that make these tracks.

I do recall sitting in a studio with an 8 track tape, a razor blade and splice tape. Hard work but very rewarding. Doing that at on a larger scale to create a classic astounds me.

The Dunster
16-03-2018, 02:44 PM
Love 10cc - Godley, Creme, Stewart, and Gouldman in one band was pretty special. Gouldman was writing massive hits as a teenager like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86GtSP6XBeU

Jetmaster
17-03-2018, 05:11 PM
Watching that documentary you realised the impact they had for three decades, in songwriting, recording nous, playing and video making. Gouldman the great songwriter, Godley and Creme the phenomenal art school pop video directors, and Stewart one the most under rated Les Paul players.
One of the great tragedies of modern music was G&C leaving to work on the "Gizmo" device and a f@#$ing triple album! They should have been massive.

The Dunster
17-03-2018, 11:32 PM
Godley and Cremes Music Video for Duran Duran's Girls on Film - best music video ever:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh50c

Bon
23-03-2018, 12:22 PM
Grim, you end up getting tickets for Monday - Mastodon/Gojira?
(Or Dunster, I know you are a metal master these days :thumbsup: )

Grimario
23-03-2018, 02:14 PM
Nope

Bon
23-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Nope

:slap:

Grimario
23-03-2018, 02:30 PM
:slap:

Doesn't interest me enough to spend that kind of money. Saving up for disc golf trips, however... wise money spending.

Bon
23-03-2018, 02:31 PM
Doesn't interest me enough to spend that kind of money. Saving up for disc golf trips, however... wise money spending.

Hahaha.. Fair play, mate..

baldrick
29-03-2018, 11:40 PM
Whoah

https://youtu.be/cOvdu15uN10

hawk
30-03-2018, 02:09 AM
Whoah

How good are Oils!!

How can we sleep when our taxes are non existent

baldrick
30-03-2018, 08:40 AM
How good are Oils!!

How can we sleep when our taxes are non existent

"Why are they nailing the drum kit to the floor ?"

Lol

Mark325
30-03-2018, 03:29 PM
Did anyone go to download festival? Heard it ran really well and they plan on bringing it back next year, hopefully lineup is a bit bigger

StannyCFCJET
30-03-2018, 04:46 PM
Did anyone go to download festival? Heard it ran really well and they plan on bringing it back next year, hopefully lineup is a bit bigger

Yeah I heard it was good and Sydney get it as well next year

The Dunster
31-03-2018, 02:21 AM
Whoah

Gawd. The band were finished long before 1984. 10 to 1 and Red Sails were ****ing terrible in comparison to PWAP, Head Injuries, Bird Noises, and self titled albums.

As for live, again, best shows were from the late 70's to about 1981 - after that they'd completely sold out and deserted their original fans.

Bon
19-04-2018, 11:24 AM
This came out a week ago, new song "Rats" by Ghost..
The first time I heard it, I wasn't sure what to make of it, but WOW has it grown on me..
Got a hectic Alice Cooper/Blue Oyster Cult sound combined with their usual theatrical horror movie vibe.. (How's the Thriller-esque dancing, haha..)
That outro riff though.. :fap:
Hilarious stuff, not to be taken seriously..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ijc7A5oAc

The Dunster
19-04-2018, 01:34 PM
Alice Cooper, Mercyful Fate, and Ghost probably all copied Arthur Browne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en1uwIzI3SE

Bon
19-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Alice Cooper, Mercyful Fate, and Ghost probably all copied Arthur Browne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en1uwIzI3SE

YES!!!! Great song!

Immediately takes me to The Young Ones and Hot Fuzz..

Jetmaster
19-04-2018, 05:40 PM
Great song....have a version of the Who doing it on one of Pete Townshends "all star" albums....Iron Man I think.
Arthur was also in the Tommy movie as a nutjob preacher.

The Dunster
19-04-2018, 05:50 PM
Arthur Brown and the Who were both signed by Track Records which was owned by their manager Kit Lambert.

Not 100% sure but I think Townsend produced Fire for Arthur Brown.

Jetmaster
19-04-2018, 06:04 PM
https://youtu.be/dUJldt4hZzg

Here it be Dunster.

The Dunster
20-04-2018, 12:59 AM
The High Numbers before they became The Who.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-INQ63rnpLQ

Jetmaster
20-04-2018, 12:11 PM
The High Numbers before they became The Who.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-INQ63rnpLQ

Some of that live early footage from the Goldhawk Social Club is priceless. It was going over some of that old stuff that inspired me to update my avatar pic.

Have you seen the Lambert and Stamp doco?

The Dunster
20-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Have you seen the Lambert and Stamp doco?

No I haven't seen it yet - will track it down though as it sounds pretty good.

Retro Jet
04-05-2018, 11:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYO6anI3nsk&feature=youtu.be&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=yt-lesson-040518&utm_medium=email-broadcast&utm_content=gadget-tunes-your-bass&utm_term=existing-list

Had this come into my Inbox tonight.
A weird but handy little gadget?
Didn't know where to post this one but Bon: take (ahem) 'note'

scottsbasslessons.com :thumbsup:

Retro Jet
04-05-2018, 11:35 PM
Shiz...The Who? Arthur Brown?
Meez gotta look at this thread more ofter lads!

Bon
07-05-2018, 10:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYO6anI3nsk&feature=youtu.be&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=yt-lesson-040518&utm_medium=email-broadcast&utm_content=gadget-tunes-your-bass&utm_term=existing-list

Had this come into my Inbox tonight.
A weird but handy little gadget?
Didn't know where to post this one but Bon: take (ahem) 'note'

scottsbasslessons.com :thumbsup:

HAHAH.. What a mental little gadget.. Pretty clever..

Grimario
07-05-2018, 11:39 AM
I am digging the new Alice in Chains tune which dropped late last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=352RBWh6ViU

plague
07-05-2018, 12:04 PM

wow that is very unmistakably Alice In Chains innit?

Bon
07-05-2018, 12:08 PM

Not too shabby at all..
I'm definitely liking the heavier, darker tones to it..
The only problem I am having with AIC since their reformation with Duvall, is that all of the choruses seem very damn similar and kinda boring.. Like, no time changes, just a bit simple and drudging, ticking along..
In saying that, I definitely dig this song more than most on their last two albums..

Bon
18-06-2018, 04:42 PM
I know it's only a fan-made video, but god damn this song kicks ass.. (The mini solo at 1:20 is particularly tasty to me)
Really digging the new Ghost album..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSk2TzDgrJY

Mark325
19-06-2018, 12:13 PM
I know it's only a fan-made video, but god damn this song kicks ass.. (The mini solo at 1:20 is particularly tasty to me)
Really digging the new Ghost album..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSk2TzDgrJY

big fan of Ghost, new album is a really good continuation of what they started doing on Meliora. I imagine these guys are only gonna get a bigger and bigger audience

StannyCFCJET
19-06-2018, 03:09 PM
big fan of Ghost, new album is a really good continuation of what they started doing on Meliora. I imagine these guys are only gonna get a bigger and bigger audience

Didnt the Lead singer kick everyone else out of the band?

Bon
19-06-2018, 08:06 PM

Absolutely mate..

Didnt the Lead singer kick everyone else out of the band?

There was a lawsuit.. Yeah.
However, Tobias Forge (main guy who sings, writes, plans the theatrics, etc) has said that Ghost has always been a band where "the people playing live [were] not necessarily the same that played on the records".. I guess insinuating that they weren't officially in the band, but merely session musicians? Pretty sure he won the lawsuit, so yeah..
I don't know, the whole anonymity of it all, with everyone else just being labelled as A Nameless Ghoul makes it a bit of a mess..
He did say in an interview that Dave Grohl (as well as other big names) has played a few shows on drums for them, obviously with no-one knowing since they have their masks on..

Bon
09-08-2018, 03:22 PM
Have been totally digging Silent Planet lately..
It's being referred to as "homeworkcore" due to their annotated and thought provoking lyrics.. Pretty cool stuff, although I'm still not completely sold on the bassist's clean vocals, luckily they are sparse..
(Side note: They are playing at the Cambo next Wednesday night.. I'll be heading on down to check it out..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOPXQlXURpY

goaliepersempre
09-08-2018, 03:32 PM
Open Air Granichen, all over body still feeling its effects... First time we sold out the on saturday.

Lineup was as follows.

Clawfinger · Royal Republic · Agnostic Front · Comeback Kid · Donots · Dog Eat Dog · Nasty · Counterparts · Northlane · Arcane Roots · Jinjer · Get The Shot · Adhesive · Sickret · Defender · Expellow · Nubia · Lyvten · Simia Sapiens · Small Thanx For It.

Bon
09-08-2018, 03:37 PM
Open Air Granichen, all over body still feeling its effects... First time we sold out the on saturday.

Lineup was as follows.

Clawfinger · Royal Republic · Agnostic Front · Comeback Kid · Donots · Dog Eat Dog · Nasty · Counterparts · Northlane · Arcane Roots · Jinjer · Get The Shot · Adhesive · Sickret · Defender · Expellow · Nubia · Lyvten · Simia Sapiens · Small Thanx For It.

Bloody hell..
Good to see Agnostic Front still getting about! Would have been awesome!!
Who did you enjoy the most?

idontwannaplaywithhowey
09-08-2018, 03:43 PM
Bloody hell..
Good to see Agnostic Front still getting about! Would have been awesome!!
Who did you enjoy the most?

A lot of those old school NYHC crews still kicking along nicely,.
Sick of It All still playing regularly, Madball (obvs a bit later) just put out a new disc).

StannyCFCJET
09-08-2018, 06:30 PM
Anyone seen the Unify 2019 lineup thoughts??? Thinking of going myself

goaliepersempre
09-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Yeah Agnotistic Front was real good fun, our bar were i was working was just behind sound desk so always able to get in and watch. during set not that much to before after crazy. Beer taps basically permenantly open for the entire day.. Unfortunately I wasnt there friday night but Comeback Kid went off.

Nasty a german/belgian band was real good. and Dog Eat Dog was pretty helarious and good.

Good little niche festival but still packs some good bands over the years, basically the whole organisation volunteer work.

https://www.openairgraenichen.ch/bands/bandarchiv/

Bon
10-08-2018, 03:11 PM
Anyone seen the Unify 2019 lineup thoughts??? Thinking of going myself

I just saw the lineup..
Gotta say, I don't mean to sound negative, but personally I'm not impressed at all.. There isn't one single heavy band there that I would pay to see (Maybe Karnivool again, but I haven't heard anything since their first album)

I can see why some people would want to go, with large "mainstream heavy" bands like Underoath and Taking Back Sunday, even the Triple J popular In Hearts Wake..
Can't believe IKTPQ are making another one-off comeback.. Crafter must be out of money or looking for more attention.. hahaha

The Dunster
10-08-2018, 05:02 PM
My pet peeve is old bands getting back together when they are well past their used by date, not too mention the khunts going all nostalgic for it and paying top dollar to see such bands.

Reunions are a waste of time and space. If you didn't get to see a band in their prime you missed out - simple as that.

My advice is to get out there and discover some new bands rather than try and rehash the past.

It's just a shame punters today don't get too hear what a couple of Plexis in a small venue sound like anymore.

StannyCFCJET
10-08-2018, 05:11 PM
My pet peeve is old bands getting back together when they are well past their used by date, not too mention the khunts going all nostalgic for it and paying top dollar to see such bands.

Reunions are a waste of time and space. If you didn't get to see a band in their prime you missed out - simple as that.

My advice is to get out there and discover some new bands rather than try and rehash the past.

It's just a shame punters today don't get too hear what a couple of Plexis in a small venue sound like anymore.

Agree to some extent if they have no intention to make new music or just play the same stylist for almost 10 years. (Lookin at you blink)

StannyCFCJET
10-08-2018, 05:12 PM
I just saw the lineup..
Gotta say, I don't mean to sound negative, but personally I'm not impressed at all.. There isn't one single heavy band there that I would pay to see (Maybe Karnivool again, but I haven't heard anything since their first album)

I can see why some people would want to go, with large "mainstream heavy" bands like Underoath and Taking Back Sunday, even the Triple J popular In Hearts Wake..
Can't believe IKTPQ are making another one-off comeback.. Crafter must be out of money or looking for more attention.. hahaha
Yeah I've kinda decided to wait for download

Bon
11-08-2018, 05:54 PM
Yeah I've kinda decided to wait for download

Yeah mate, good call!!
There should be some decent bands on that.. I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure..

StannyCFCJET
11-08-2018, 06:15 PM
Yeah mate, good call!!
There should be some decent bands on that.. I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure..

Yeah if Im going to a 2 day music festival I need at least 3 must see bands. Only had 4 or 5 bands Im kinda in to

Mark325
11-08-2018, 08:57 PM
If anyone here likes **** off heavy music would recommend two new albums by a band called frontierer who made an album called unloved and vein who made an album called errorzone

Bon
12-08-2018, 01:32 PM
If anyone here likes **** off heavy music would recommend two new albums by a band called frontierer who made an album called unloved and vein who made an album called errorzone

Will check em out..

Grimario
12-08-2018, 06:17 PM

Music good, vocals awful. Doesn't matter how good the music is, I can't ever get into something that has vocals like that.

idontwannaplaywithhowey
13-08-2018, 11:04 AM
I just saw the lineup..

Yea, 'Heavy music gathering' is a bit of a stretch for this one.
And Crafter.....he certainly got some attention :popcorn:

The Dunster
14-08-2018, 12:23 PM

I had a listen. They make Black Sabbath sound like a boy band for 11 year old girls.

Was pretty impressed to be honest. The sound is HUGE and the musicians are very skilled.

Mark325
15-08-2018, 07:37 PM
Music good, vocals awful. Doesn't matter how good the music is, I can't ever get into something that has vocals like that.

Out of curiosity what type of vocalists do you prefer? Like who would you have liked to see over these intrumentals that would've sealed the deal for you

Mark325
15-08-2018, 07:38 PM
I had a listen. They make Black Sabbath sound like a boy band for 11 year old girls.

Was pretty impressed to be honest. The sound is HUGE and the musicians are very skilled.

Yeah both are insane, not everyday music but similar to code orange in that when you're in the mood for it it scratches the itch

StannyCFCJET
15-08-2018, 09:20 PM
Anyone heard of Trophy Eyes. Really getting into them atm and their from Newy

Bon
16-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Yeah both are insane, not everyday music but similar to code orange in that when you're in the mood for it it scratches the itch

Awesome stuff man!!!!
They remind me a little bit of Car Bomb.. Bit of everything going on with them, brutal stuff..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIXp0CtkU2E

I've heard the name, but never listened to them or seen them live.. Will go have a look now..

edit: Listened to part of one song of theirs, Friday Forever, and I'm sorry Stanny, but its not for me..
It just sounds like U2 meets 30 Seconds To Mars.. :gent:
Good on them though, local boys doing pretty damn well for themselves by the looks of it..

Mark325
16-08-2018, 12:23 PM

had tried them in the past, listened to you can count on me recently and loved it, gave the whole album a try and it's killer

Bon
16-08-2018, 12:37 PM
Just listened to some Vein, good pick Mark325..
Pretty awesome stuff! Just saw they are on tour with Every Time I Die at the moment too..

Bon
21-08-2018, 10:03 AM
Speaking of which, Every Time I Die were just added to your Unify lineup Stanny..
If you end up going, make sure you check them out..

StannyCFCJET
21-08-2018, 11:06 AM
Speaking of which, Every Time I Die were just added to your Unify lineup Stanny..

Nah not going. Download is more convenient

Bon
21-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Nah not going. Download is more convenient

Is there an official lineup yet?
Or was the one I saw the other day fake??

StannyCFCJET
21-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Is there an official lineup yet?
Or was the one I saw the other day fake??

Nah no lineup yet

Frodo
21-08-2018, 12:07 PM

The missus and I are heading to that next year. Gonna act like we are young enough to camp at a festival still, haha.

I've missed Underoath 3 times in the past so couldn't turn down this chance. A heap of other bands I either haven't seen or are keen to see again too.

I've seen ETID before, they killed it then and will probably do the same again.

The Dunster
21-08-2018, 12:19 PM
The missus and I are heading to that next year. Gonna act like we are young enough to camp at a festival still, haha.

I've missed Underoath 3 times in the past so couldn't turn down this chance. A heap of other bands I either haven't seen or are keen to see again too.

I've seen ETID before, they killed it then and will probably do the same again.

Vocalists voice always reminded me of Bobcat Goldthwait. Solid band though.

Bon
21-08-2018, 12:43 PM
What are peoples thoughts on politics in music??
Yeah or nah?

Just got me thinking, cause ETID singer got stuck in to Trump supporters lately (basically saying how please he was that he didn't see any MAGA hats in the crowd) and had a lot of them blowing up at him about alienating them..
He then proceeded to tell them "at what point in my 25 year involvement with a socially conscious hardcore/punk scene did I give anyone the impression that I would pander to bigots? my band doesn’t need you. nobody does. smash nazis at every turn" - I haven't worked out how to copy and paste twitter stuff..

The Dunster
21-08-2018, 04:25 PM
Yeah or nah?

Just got me thinking, cause ETID singer got stuck in to Trump supporters lately (basically saying how please he was that he didn't see any MAGA hats in the crowd) and had a lot of them blowing up at him about alienating them..
He then proceeded to tell them "at what point in my 25 year involvement with a socially conscious hardcore/punk scene did I give anyone the impression that I would pander to bigots? my band doesn’t need you. nobody does. smash nazis at every turn" - I haven't worked out how to copy and paste twitter stuff..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldpPnxDbJ6g

plague
22-08-2018, 03:19 PM
Yeah or nah?

you would have to contend that politics has been a major influence on music for all of eternity yeah?

but yeah the amount of artists expressing political views 'outside' of their music seems to be much higher nowadays, and its prob got a lot to do with access to fans via social media. Id imagine if Twitter were around in Bob Dylans day he'd have some things to tell the world.

One thing you always have to watch with successful artists who express their views is that for the most part they are old rich white people and therefore actually take full advantage of they system they are openly 'rebelling against'.

for more information go check out U2 and Bono. Absolute hypocrites, but hey, he pays his bills on time so good for him.

The Dunster
22-08-2018, 04:45 PM
One thing you always have to watch with successful artists who express their views is that for the most part they are old rich white people and therefore actually take full advantage of they system they are openly 'rebelling against'.

https://youtu.be/ociMBfkDG1w

plague
22-08-2018, 05:08 PM
https://youtu.be/ociMBfkDG1w

hahaha.

its like a reverse Kanye.

Mark325
23-08-2018, 01:30 PM
New fezzy coming to sydney in december called good things

The Offspring (Performing Smash In Full)
Stone Sour
All Time Low
Dropkick Murphys
Bullet For My Valentine
The Used
BABYMETAL
The Smith Street Band
Dashboard Confessional (Performing songs from The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most + Fan Favourites)
Mayday Parade
La Dispute
Northlane
The Wonder Years
Waterparks
Tonight Alive
Scarlxrd
Emmure
Palaye Royale
Make Them Suffer
Waax
Boston Manor
Void Of Vision
Ecca Vandal

Actually a half decent line-up to be fair

plague
23-08-2018, 01:43 PM
Jeez, anyone who hit puberty between 1995 and 2005 gonna be in heaven.

Frodo
23-08-2018, 02:42 PM

Very hot and cold on that lineup, personally. But I can see what they are trying to do, well played.

I just hope they learn the Soundwave / BDO lessons and don't implode after a few years. Keep it to 1, maybe 2 stages, and make it more about the bands than a social event.

StannyCFCJET
23-08-2018, 02:44 PM

The Offspring (Performing Smash In Full)
Stone Sour
All Time Low
Dropkick Murphys
Bullet For My Valentine
The Used
BABYMETAL
The Smith Street Band
Dashboard Confessional (Performing songs from The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most + Fan Favourites)
Mayday Parade
La Dispute
Northlane
The Wonder Years
Waterparks
Tonight Alive
Scarlxrd
Emmure
Palaye Royale
Make Them Suffer
Waax
Boston Manor
Void Of Vision
Ecca Vandal

Im very keen on this lineup. Got at least 3 must see bands and a few other casual interests

Bon
23-08-2018, 02:48 PM
Yeah, like Frodo, I can see what they are trying to achieve with that lineup.. It's not terrible..

I'd only be keen to see The Offspring play Smash in its entirety though.. Pretty sure Self Esteem would be worth the ticket price alone..
The rest of the bands on there don't really do a great deal for me..

Frodo
23-08-2018, 03:50 PM
Yeah, like Frodo, I can see what they are trying to achieve with that lineup.. It's not terrible..

I'd only be keen to see The Offspring play Smash in its entirety though.. Pretty sure Self Esteem would be worth the ticket price alone..
The rest of the bands on there don't really do a great deal for me..

I know there were plenty of bands in those years that turned rubbish, but those guys fell off real hard and real fast. Smash is a great album tho, not sure I could justify the ticket price for it tho. Most of the other bands are bands that I kinda like but wouldn't spend money on. (I never want to be dragged to another 'The Used' show again if possible, so no words to the missus about the Bon)

However, I can see one of these in a year or two being chock full of all my favourites so I genuinely hope it goes really well.

StannyCFCJET
23-08-2018, 07:12 PM
Problem is if people don't go to this one citing lack of a line up then we don't get more. Also Offspring are superb live. Well worth going for then

plague
23-08-2018, 07:46 PM
I never want to be dragged to another 'The Used' show again if possible,

are they no good live?

never seen them myself.

Frodo
24-08-2018, 09:14 AM
are they no good live?

never seen them myself.

I just didn't get them.

I like a lot of music from that scene but they aren't one of them. Bert, the singer, can sing like a mofo but I just never found any of their stuff I could stand listening to. The missus was a fan so got dragged to a few shows. I'd end up loving the support acts and just stand still whilst they played and went 'meh'.

I have the same relationship with AFI. Great music, Davey Havok can sing, but I just don't get them and can't stand listening the the lead twat go on about his issues.

This sounds more like my problems than the bands inabilities, haha.

Bon
24-08-2018, 09:16 AM
This sounds more like my problems than the bands inabilities, haha.

It's because you didn't have a hectic long fringe.. :gent:
I believe that's the secret to both of those bands..

Frodo
24-08-2018, 11:35 AM
It's because you didn't have a hectic long fringe.. :gent:
I believe that's the secret to both of those bands..

I've had plenty of rubbish haircuts in my time so I won't comment too much on that one.

Bon
24-08-2018, 12:08 PM
I've had plenty of rubbish haircuts in my time so I won't comment too much on that one.

Yeaaaaaaaah I won't be making too many comments either.. :facepalm:

The Dunster
28-08-2018, 01:17 PM
Some kids on Youtube have covered the Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream Album to commemorate 25 years since its release.

The drummer is absolutely off the charts talented. Guitarist / Vocalist and Bass Player do a fine job as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faSRAfUfays

idontwannaplaywithhowey
28-08-2018, 05:08 PM
Yeah or nah?

Definitely has more credence when it's a clearly intelligent band that has politics, social commentary at the core of their artistic work. Bands like Propaghandi, Bad Religion etc that undertake intelligent social and political commentary in their lyrics and are 'real' are always my go to and will encourage me to learn more about concepts I was previously unaware of.

The mainstream crew that don't take steps that could alienate a fanbase by being too political (not that they write their own lyrics anyway) but have a bit of political chat outside of their music are of course entitled to their views and use their platform to preach them, but I personally am much more likely to take less notice of their views...and lives...and music.

and Bono is a dick.

Bon
29-08-2018, 12:57 PM
Anyone else going to Queens Of The Stone Age tomorrow night at the Newy Ent Cent??

(Also: I've got a spare ticket to sell now that the Better Half has had to go away for work..)

Grimario
31-08-2018, 11:09 PM
New Eminem dropped earlier today. Zero promo, just arrived.

New Alice in Chains in the last week too. They certainly released the best track to promo the album.

sammydog
01-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Anyone else going to Queens Of The Stone Age tomorrow night at the Newy Ent Cent??

(Also: I've got a spare ticket to sell now that the Better Half has had to go away for work..)

Wish I had seen this post, I would have been your bitch for the night.

I went to the Hordern last night to see them. Awesome show, forgot how much I love that venue.

Similar set to newcastle by the looks of it with a few bonus songs in sydney. Still pissed I didnt go to both shows as I originally planned to do.

Extra songs in sydney were,

- Regular John
- Do It Again
- Misfit Love
- I appear missing

Bon
05-09-2018, 11:13 AM
Wish I had seen this post, I would have been your bitch for the night.

I went to the Hordern last night to see them. Awesome show, forgot how much I love that venue.

Similar set to newcastle by the looks of it with a few bonus songs in sydney. Still pissed I didnt go to both shows as I originally planned to do.

Extra songs in sydney were,

- Regular John
- Do It Again
- Misfit Love
- I appear missing

Yeah, I came away from the Newy show with mixed feelings..
I hadn't listened to any of their stuff since 2002's Songs For The Deaf.. So there were a few spots in the set that I was going "Ummmm.. don't know this one"..

As a whole, the band were tight as fvck.. They are obviously all really skilled and talented musicians..
Jon Theodore - Certainly can play drums.
Shuman was brilliant on the bass. I found myself watching him mostly, sounded pretty bloody amazing from where we were..
Troy Van Leeuwen is a weird little dude, but damn he can play.. There's something unsettling about an old bloke rocking out in a crazysnake suit with huge heels and a fedora..
The keyboard/multi-instrument dude was brilliant too.

This brings me to Josh Homme.. After all of his past discrepancies (kicking that chick in the head, homophobic rants, etc) I was a bit conflicted on what to think of him.. Sort of along the lines of Phil from Pantera, I love the band, but am not necessarily in to what the front-man has been saying/doing..
So I would just like to clarify that after the show, any suspicions that Homme is a bit of an egotistical wanker were allayed.
He is.
Musically, his voice, guitar playing and overall tone was tops. Just a pity that his idiotic ranting and his "i need to keep trying to trash stuff" attitude seemed to overshadow it.

sammydog
05-09-2018, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I came away from the Newy show with mixed feelings..
I hadn't listened to any of their stuff since 2002's Songs For The Deaf.. So there were a few spots in the set that I was going "Ummmm.. don't know this one"..

As a whole, the band were tight as fvck.. They are obviously all really skilled and talented musicians..
Jon Theodore - Certainly can play drums.
Shuman was brilliant on the bass. I found myself watching him mostly, sounded pretty bloody amazing from where we were..
Troy Van Leeuwen is a weird little dude, but damn he can play.. There's something unsettling about an old bloke rocking out in a crazysnake suit with huge heels and a fedora..
The keyboard/multi-instrument dude was brilliant too.

This brings me to Josh Homme.. After all of his past discrepancies (kicking that chick in the head, homophobic rants, etc) I was a bit conflicted on what to think of him.. Sort of along the lines of Phil from Pantera, I love the band, but am not necessarily in to what the front-man has been saying/doing..
So I would just like to clarify that after the show, any suspicions that Homme is a bit of an egotistical wanker were allayed.
He is.
Musically, his voice, guitar playing and overall tone was tops. Just a pity that his idiotic ranting and his "i need to keep trying to trash stuff" attitude seemed to overshadow it.

Interesting, Homme didnt have a huge amount to say in Sydney. Had to fill in some time when he knocked the mic off the stand and struggled to get it back in, but he wasn't ranting. He didn't knock some lighting stuff over which looked pretty contrived, late in the show moved to the main PA stack on the right of stage, started pushing it but looked to think the better of it and move on.

I completely agree with the comparison to Phil from Pantera. He pretty much put me off one of my favourite bands while they were in there prime. Didn't help that he had a prima donna moment last time I saw them, cracked the shits and left after 45min. Homme though didn't produce the stereotype I was expecting which was good.

Band was tight, Van Leeuwen is brilliant (and he isn't "that" old). I wasn't into A Perfect Circle when he was in it, but I think the Queens albums he is on are the better ones. For me though the last two albums have easily been the strongest (funnily enough, the most consistent with line up as well). His tone live is insane, been trying to work it out but failing miserably. Likewise Homme's tone is pretty special.

Next gig is Tumbleweed at the Cambridge.

StannyCFCJET
13-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Anyone who likes Hardcore/Metalcore Architects just released a new song and its awesome

Bon
14-09-2018, 09:27 AM
Anyone who likes Hardcore/Metalcore Architects just released a new song and its awesome

This is the song you mean, yeah Stanny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqRYBWyvbRo

I was a HUGE fan of early Architects stuff, particularly their albums Nightmare and Ruin.. I'm kinda torn on this new stuff..
It's got elements of their original sound, the screaming verses, technical guitar parts.. The addition of Josh Middleton (Sylosis) to the band can only be a good thing for them, the blokes a maniac on guitar and CAN sing/scream/yell..
Similar to Parkway Drive, I just can't handle the sing-along choruses, trance-y bits, and the over-polished sound.. I realise that thats what makes it better for a lot of people though, so good on them..

Bon
14-09-2018, 09:32 AM
This is the Architects I remember seeing live back in about '09..
They've definitely gone a long way..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFl8-ecBvcQ

The Dunster
14-09-2018, 10:49 AM

I was a HUGE fan of early Architects stuff, particularly their albums Nightmare and Ruin.. I'm kinda torn on this new stuff..
It's got elements of their original sound, the screaming verses, technical guitar parts.. The addition of Josh Middleton (Sylosis) to the band can only be a good thing for them, the blokes a maniac on guitar and CAN sing/scream/yell..
Similar to Parkway Drive, I just can't handle the sing-along choruses, trance-y bits, and the over-polished sound.. I realise that thats what makes it better for a lot of people though, so good on them..

The new stuff wreaks of Harvard MBA's / Accountants having far too much involvement in the music. All the raw energy of the earlier stuff has been replaced by this glossed over shit designed to appeal to a wider audience. Long story short - They sold out.

Bon
14-09-2018, 11:06 AM
The new stuff wreaks of Harvard MBA's / Accountants having far too much involvement in the music. All the raw energy of the earlier stuff has been replaced by this glossed over shit designed to appeal to a wider audience. Long story short - They sold out.

Thanks mate..
I was starting to feel like a bit of an old, cranky, negative bastard always saying "I can see why its popular, but its not for me".. haha

StannyCFCJET
14-09-2018, 11:10 AM

Yeah this is the song and I love all the bits you dislike haha.

StannyCFCJET
14-09-2018, 11:13 AM

I don't see this as selling out at all. If this is selling out I wouldn't mind if other bands had sold out to this quality

Bon
14-09-2018, 11:15 AM
Yeah this is the song and I love all the bits you dislike haha.

hahaha.. Thats what is so great about music.. Each to their own..
I'm just happy to see some heavier stuff getting more mainstream coverage..

StannyCFCJET
14-09-2018, 11:27 AM
hahaha.. Thats what is so great about music.. Each to their own..
I'm just happy to see some heavier stuff getting more mainstream coverage..

Yeah sadly I don't listen to heavy music as much as I should. Hell hadn't heard of Architects until their vocalist did a guest appearance on a pop punk song. I need to explore/discover more heavy bands

The Dunster
14-09-2018, 11:33 AM
I don't see this as selling out at all. If this is selling out I wouldn't mind if other bands had sold out to this quality

Polishing turds with Pro Tools is not music Stanny. It limits musicians in that everyone sounds the same.

StannyCFCJET
14-09-2018, 11:33 AM
Don't get me started about Pro Tools and how it's ruining music Stanny

Nah John Feldman production is ruining music.

The Dunster
14-09-2018, 11:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KBhnebwE

Bon
14-09-2018, 11:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KBhnebwE

Bloody hell, these boys can play..
Love the sweeps he puts in too!!

When I saw the title as "breakdown", I was definitely expecting something different.. Very cool stuff.

The Dunster
14-09-2018, 12:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5KmB8Laemg

Great song and the video is gold for showing how diverse peoples musical tastes are.

Jetmaster
16-09-2018, 02:59 PM
Polishing turds with Pro Tools is not music Stanny. It limits musicians in that everyone sounds the same.

So this....watched a Keith Moon isolated drum track the other night. One twit commented that Moon isn't as good as modern drummers who use technology because he's "all over the place".....ffs.

Frodo
16-09-2018, 05:02 PM
If they can play it live it's progression not polishing.

If they can't play it live then I have a problem with it.

There's a big difference between selling out and overproducing your music.

The Offspring sold out, Muse overproduced and Metallica did both.

StannyCFCJET
16-09-2018, 05:04 PM
If they can play it live it's progression not polishing.

If they can't play it live then I have a problem with it.

There's a big difference between selling out and O we producing your music.

The Offspring sold out, Muse overproduced and Metallica did both.

How did the offspring sell out? Legit curious?

idontwannaplaywithhowey
16-09-2018, 07:41 PM
How did the offspring sell out? Legit curious?

It presents that they were persuaded to change their sound as soon as they signed to a major label (after 2 great albums- and then Smash,). It can be framed as 'progression' i guess, but when you are punk band, sign for a major label and then release 'pretty fly for a white guy'.....That's selling out.

StannyCFCJET
16-09-2018, 09:13 PM
It presents that they were persuaded to change their sound as soon as they signed to a major label (after 2 great albums- and then Smash,). It can be framed as 'progression' i guess, but when you are punk band, sign for a major label and then release 'pretty fly for a white guy'.....That's selling out.

Pretty Fly is ****ing solid though? To each their own

Grimario
16-09-2018, 09:52 PM

It's trashy made to make money pop music.

Frodo
16-09-2018, 09:55 PM

They weren't going to write that song until they signed that contract. There was a massive trend of punk rock bands getting to a size and then either signing up and becoming one of the sell out bands (Green Day/Good Charlotte) or struggling for the next decade even though they had a huge amount of die hard fans. (Bad Religion/Strung Out).

StannyCFCJET
16-09-2018, 09:57 PM
They weren't going to write that song until they signed that contract. There was a massive trend of punk rock bands getting to a size and then either signing up and becoming one of the sell out bands (Green Day/Good Charlotte) or struggling for the next decade even though they had a huge amount of die hard fans. (Bad Religion/Strung Out).

Good Charlotte were never really punk more poppy and Green Day never sold out. They always wrote the music they wanted some just became more popular then others

Bon
17-09-2018, 08:58 AM
Good Charlotte were never really punk more poppy and Green Day never sold out. They always wrote the music they wanted some just became more popular then others

Sorry mate.. They did..
Offspring definitely did.

Grimario
17-09-2018, 10:00 AM
Maybe Stanny doesn't consider it selling out if they suddenly started making music he liked instead of their original work?

Bon
17-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Here is something for any of the drummers out there.. Well, and guitarists just for the audio playing..
Alex Rudinger (from The Faceless, The HAARP Machine, Conquering Dystopia, etc) playing a cover of Stabwound by German tech-death band Necrophagist.
The album that this song is off, Epitaph, is probably one of the best tech-death metal albums ever.. (in my opinion, haha)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPTJzeEqkFs

plague
17-09-2018, 11:32 AM
There was a massive trend of punk rock bands getting to a size and then either signing up and becoming one of the sell out bands (Green Day/Good Charlotte) or struggling for the next decade even though they had a huge amount of die hard fans. (Bad Religion/Strung Out).

maybe those bands that 'sold out' just had more songs that were more popular then those other bands you quoted.

and look, pretty much by the time a band hits your ears, they have 'sold out' in one form or another.
Bad Religion sure sold plenty of tee shirts for a band that was all about the music.

StannyCFCJET
17-09-2018, 11:37 AM
Maybe Stanny doesn't consider it selling out if they suddenly started making music he liked instead of their original work?

I love all of Green Day's work, Ive just followed them long enough to not believe they sold out. They wouldn't of wrote the trilogy album if they sold out

idontwannaplaywithhowey
17-09-2018, 03:15 PM
maybe those bands that 'sold out' just had more songs that were more popular then those other bands you quoted.

and look, pretty much by the time a band hits your ears, they have 'sold out' in one form or another.
Bad Religion sure sold plenty of tee shirts for a band that was all about the music.

Depends on your definition of 'sold out' i guess. Which is a subjective viewpoint, as with just about everything with music.
In the 90's/early 2000's when i was an idealist and actively involved with hardcore, any hardcore band that signed with a major label was a 'sell out' to me.
I would now define a 'sellout' as someone that doesn't stay true to their musical style to make the $$. Offspring are an example. (and im not talking about progression, but radical shifts spawned by the corporate dollar.).

Happy to use BR as a reference point. They have sold heaps of shirts id say you are right, and they also even signed to a major label at one stage and have made some decent coin out of being a band. But they have remained true to their sound and ethos (except New America, that was a piece of poo, but Brett Geurwitz was off coking it up and they struggled in his absence).

Frodo
17-09-2018, 03:52 PM

Bad Religion was probably a bad example given the fact that Brett owns Epitaph Records. But they worked pretty hard to get to where they ended up.

I loved watching bands in a certain genre all start of making a similar sound and then slowly move into different directions within the same umbrella. (Bands like Thrice, Rise Against, AFI, Taking Back Sunday and The Used all started off making similar albums and then went in totally different direction within the Punk Rock Genre.)

Greenday starting making punk albums and then starting making rock albums because it's much harder to be a juggernaut band if you don't play rock. That's why I say they sold out. Selling out doesn't mean your a bad band, me saying a band sold out just means I don't like where they took their music too. I'm sure they can sleep at night even though some people wished they'd keep making Dookie rather than American Idiot and be poor and out of work by now.

sammydog
17-09-2018, 07:09 PM

This nails it. Any band that has put out an album has bent to the labels wishes. Only way to avoid it is to fund the production yourself on your own label/distribution.

Its interesting with the bands listed in here so far.

Offspring for me were shit before they sold out. There was never any substance to their music or lyrics, but it was pretty clear cut when they changed and the success really rolled in.

Green Day though, I don't see them as having sold out, unless you take the Dookie album as selling out. I can hear an evolution in their songwriting though and the success probably enabled a little more excess in the production of the albums. We can probably argue all day about whether they "sold out" though. I think they just matured as a band rather than being pushed to change. Its a fine line, do you put out the same album for 30 years (AC/DC) or evolve and cop the sell out tag.

Just as I wouldn't call Metallica's "Black", or Megadeth's "Countdown to Extinction" selling out. Different, yes, but more an evolution of a band and thats not always going to take the hardcore fans along for the ride.

Mark325
17-09-2018, 08:29 PM
despite being my favorite band, a good example of selling out is Linkin Park for me with their last two records (R.I.P Chester)

The Hunting Party was a thrashier and much harder album then most of their past releases had been for about 6 years (In a sense you can call those three albums post Meteora as also 'selling out') and then they went and released a straight up top 40 geared album.

I'm bias and loved all of their work but even I can admit that that's selling out hard for the extra cash

plague
17-09-2018, 09:41 PM
It took approx 35 years for ACDC to licence one of their songs for use in advertising.
It took 12 months for Indie darling Vance Joy to do the same.

The term sell out seems pretty impossible to define.

The Dunster
17-09-2018, 09:46 PM
Stevie Wonder eventually sold out - but before that he was taking the piss out of his labels owner with songs like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94_snrtKGt0

The Dunster
17-09-2018, 09:52 PM

Green Day are a Stiff Little Fingers tribute band Stanny - and not a very good one either.

StannyCFCJET
17-09-2018, 10:02 PM
Green Day are a Stiff Little Fingers tribute band Stanny - and not a very good one either.

That songs ****ing awesome. I need to check out SLF it seems

Mark325
19-09-2018, 10:16 AM

Download line-up

Edit: photos too small

OZZY OSBOURNE (Only Aus Shows)
SLAYER
JUDAS PRIEST (Only Aus Shows)
ALICE IN CHAINS
GHOST
RISE AGAINST
THE AMITY AFFLICTION (Only Aus Shows)
ANTHRAX
HALESTORM (Only Aus Shows)
BEHEMOTH
ME FIRST AND THE GIMME GIMMES
I PREVAIL
CONVERGE
FRENZAL RHOMB
LUCA BRASI
CODE ORANGE
ANDY BLACK
THE FEVER 333
WAR ON WOMEN
HIGH TENSION
OUTRIGHT
RUINS
ALIEN WEAPONRY

+ more to be announced

Grimario
19-09-2018, 10:36 AM
That is a pretty spectacular line up.

The Dunster
19-09-2018, 10:40 AM
Musicians absolutely hate these types of events so to get acts of that quality on the one bill is pretty impressive.

Bon
19-09-2018, 10:57 AM
Bloody hell.. That is awesome!
Very impressive lineup..

plague
19-09-2018, 11:12 AM
Anthrax!!!!!!

The Dunster
19-09-2018, 11:15 AM
Seriously, anyone with the opportunity to go to this event has to go - as you will probably never see a better lineup again in your life.

q-money
19-09-2018, 11:19 AM
converge (y)

StannyCFCJET
19-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Can highly recommend Rise Against live

sammydog
19-09-2018, 12:49 PM
Disappointed that is the only show Ozzy will be doing. My son is desperate to see his final tour but cant go to Download.

Hopefully slayer and Anthrax do a side show or three. They have been playing together in the US.

Jetmaster
26-09-2018, 10:16 PM
"War on Women"?

Love that band already.

The Dunster
27-09-2018, 11:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII

Enjoy.

StannyCFCJET
28-09-2018, 11:55 AM
Loving all the new albums from bands I like or discovered this year with more to come.

boz-monaut
28-09-2018, 12:01 PM
thoughts on renaming this to 'The Metal Thread'?

StannyCFCJET
28-09-2018, 12:05 PM

Nope because people like more then just metal

Grimario
28-09-2018, 01:19 PM

Nah. My favourite song of all time isn't a metal tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2qNpWP0vSQ

Bon
28-09-2018, 03:04 PM

Need parkesy to come back so that you and him can keep talking about your electronic stuff..
Then we can name it the "Shelvin' pingers and fingerin' mingers Thread".. :gent:

plague
30-09-2018, 08:11 PM
So after hearing everyone and their taxpayer funded friends carry on about 'Gang of Youths' like they were the 2nd coming of Griff singing 'We are the Champions' after beating the gypos, i finally got to hear them play.

my goodness, another Bruce Springsteen inspired monotonous bunch of tone deaf dribblers.

just a poor Temper Trap tribute band with an inferior vocal range.

thank goodness they will be quickly forgotten once the next "shiny new thing" comes along.

although to their credit, they did manage to knock Tame Impala down into the irrelevant abyss from which they hopefully never return so theres something to be greatful for.

The Dunster
12-10-2018, 12:24 PM
Didn't know if this was Guitar thread or music thread material. But wanted to share with everyone what a 60's strat and a Fender Twin sound like in the hands of a master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gQEDwjhaDE

StannyCFCJET
13-10-2018, 01:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUp03PaFIkU
HLH New album Anon is pretty good IMO

Bon
17-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Dunster - So much feeling and twang.. Love it..
Stanny - I like that there is a bass player......... :gent:

So Ghost just released a new clip for their song Dance Macabre, from the latest album..
If this isn't the fvcking catchiest thing you will hear this year.. It's a bit of a step away from their heavier stuff, but it just infuses that 80's party vibe with ridiculous theatrics.. Its obvious that Tobias Forge has a great love for that style of horror flicks. (There is a back story going on between the two lead "characters" in this clip that has been carried across pretty much all of the albums and promotional videos)
Pretty much just pure Swedish pop.. haha
Personally, I couldn't stop focusing on thighs and high cut one-pieces.. :wub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gr63DiEUxw

StannyCFCJET
17-10-2018, 05:31 PM
Why is that surprising?? and side note Joel is awesome on Bass

Bon
18-10-2018, 09:03 AM
Why is that surprising?? and side note Joel is awesome on Bass

It's not surprising mate.. I was just trying to be positive.. haha
I feel like I am saying "I can see why people like it, but its not for me" too much, while pushing other crap I like.. :rof:

Grimario
18-10-2018, 11:00 AM
Dunster - So much feeling and twang.. Love it..
Stanny - I like that there is a bass player......... :gent:

So Ghost just released a new clip for their song Dance Macabre, from the latest album..
If this isn't the fvcking catchiest thing you will hear this year.. It's a bit of a step away from their heavier stuff, but it just infuses that 80's party vibe with ridiculous theatrics.. Its obvious that Tobias Forge has a great love for that style of horror flicks. (There is a back story going on between the two lead "characters" in this clip that has been carried across pretty much all of the albums and promotional videos)
Pretty much just pure Swedish pop.. haha
Personally, I couldn't stop focusing on thighs and high cut one-pieces.. :wub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gr63DiEUxw
They're so ridiculous. Love them.

Frodo
18-10-2018, 12:41 PM
COG are very slowly crawling their way back into being a band again. Another national tour next March, playing at the Cambo, and I'm pretty confident they have either a completed or nearly done album in the works.

Bon
18-10-2018, 02:17 PM
COG are very slowly crawling their way back into being a band again. Another national tour next March, playing at the Cambo, and I'm pretty confident they have either a completed or nearly done album in the works.

Thats right, Mr Baggins..
They are touring with Osaka Punch too!! Bloody good stuff..
I can't say I've listened to much since the Just Visiting EPs, the days of seeing them play to 5 people at the Beachcomber and The Bar On The Hill are well and truly over..