PDA

View Full Version : Squadron Relocation: Your thoughts please

Pages : [1] 2

furns
06-01-2014, 06:23 PM
GDay all,

As part of a debrief with stakeholders after the WSW game, we have been asked that The Squadron consider relocating for the high risk games to the Western Stand. Current security arrangements for these games are difficult with the design of the Eastern Stand preventing an effective management plan to exit large numbers of away supporters, and keeping them separate from the home support.
Squadron committee members who attended this meeting stated we wouldnt make a decision on a issue like this on behalf of everyone, we would at least canvass opinion before giving them an answer.

It appears they want us to discuss this swiftly and provide them a response as to whether we are in favour of a move or not so they can liase with the stadium for the next WSW match in early Feb.

As far as we see it we have the following options:

1. Stay where we are in bay 2. Push for away supporters to be relocated to western stand, ideally bay 49/50 and overflow can go into the upper Western (ie for WSW games).
2. Permanently move to bay 60 in the Western

https://memberdesq.imgstg.com/assets/console/gallery/images/STADIUMMAP-03.jpg

There is pros and cons for both of these options, but we need everyones opinions over the next few days to be able to see what the general consensus is. Vote on the poll, and post your thoughts and pros/cons below. You might suggest something we havent considered yet. This is for ANYONE to respond to, we are not just after opinions of people who are bay 2 regulars. We would like opinions from as broad a base of Jets supporters as possible.

We are waiting on Jets to get back to us about whether this is even possible, but if we can say that an overwhelming majority of respondents are in favour, and the fact that it doesnt look like memberships are available currently in bay 60 anyway it could be a positive response.

There has also been discussion amongst senior active supporters that moving to the Southern Hill should be an option. While it would definately be everyones preferred option, unfortunately its not possible with the design of the Hill currently and wont be until its completed in the final phase of Hunter Stadium's redevelopment. Which wont happen anytime this decade.
FFA's guidelines mandate that active support areas must be fully seated bays with dedicated entry/exit points.

If people are in favour of moving, plans would then be to request to trial a switch to bay 60 for the WSW & Phoenix games in Feb and then make a decision whether its a permanent move or not.

ok - gogogogogogogogogo

goaliepersempre
06-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Bay 60 is more of a curve style stand. Will look good if full with active. Plus can see the away support which is always good :). We are close to where our players enter leave ground etc so good to. The Stadium plan above doesn't do the bay justice :)

goaliepersempre
06-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Negative no longer on football coverage

Grimario
06-01-2014, 06:48 PM
I would have bought squadron memberships all these years if you had been in bay 60, especially with the afternoon games.

Based on that, I voted for bay 60... but feel free to consider my opinion null and void since I won't be a member anymore :'(

ToddG NBUnited
06-01-2014, 06:54 PM
no reason you can't still be a member of the squadron grim, $10 goes towards tifo plus you'll get a tenzo membership too should you make the journey up for a game.

furns
06-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Todd - Grim is moving to Adelaide.......

sammydog
06-01-2014, 07:00 PM
I don't sit in active support, but a question on the move form the outside.

Which stand Western or Eastern is generally the more full of the two. One of the considerations should be which Bay would be better for engaging the rest of the crowd. Bay 60 may fit that bill as all of the Eastern Stand will see you and much of the Western should (at least the lower portion).

Don't really have an opinion as it doesn't affect me, but maybe that is something to think about.

As far as the weather goes though, Bay 60 gets you out of the sun, but you may be singing straight into a NE wind at a lot of the games which could hurt the sound.

joel31
06-01-2014, 07:07 PM
I don't sit in active support, but a question on the move form the outside.

Which stand Western or Eastern is generally the more full of the two.
Western I think cause that's where most members are seated

joel31
06-01-2014, 07:10 PM
I'd want to trial it. Its potentially further away from the action so it might be a worse view. But positives is we'd be out of the sun and close to gold members (who is the largest chunk)

GazFish35
06-01-2014, 07:43 PM
I went and checked it v Perth. View is better IMO.
Out of the sun is without a doubt a massive benefit.

I'm keen to trial it, would be great.

club need to canvas members in bay59/58 as they might not be keen on what they might think could bring trouble.... An unfair, unrealistic and inaccurate opinion that some might have.

Bay60 would be easier for us to self police eediots too.

northern_swan
06-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Snip snip....

There has also been discussion amongst senior active supporters that moving to the Southern Hill should be an option. While it would definately be everyones preferred option, unfortunately its not possible with the design of the Hill currently and wont be until its completed in the final phase of Hunter Stadium's redevelopment. Which wont happen anytime this decade.
FFA's guidelines mandate that active support areas must be fully seated bays with dedicated entry/exit points.

Your picture clearly shows the southern concourse as having bays 40-43, which when in NRL configuration is ticketed. These bays clearly have entry/exit points that are just as secure as bay2! Given the popularity with those in the squadron, previously in the squadron and potentially in the squadron, this is an option which MUST be pushed with HSG. Given a crew have now relocated to the corner terrace and the squadron debunked to said terrace in the wet, what's stopping you? IMHO, if you don't move from bay 2 to southern concourse, there will be more in the corner terrace than bay 2 by seasons end.

:soapbox:

Anyway, to give you some constructive feedback, stay in bay 2, tarp the ends of bay 2 and 1 to stop people moving down the seats or over the edge of the stand and have the seccos do their job. No ticket, no entry. Sell the $5 upgrade at the entry points if need be. Do the same for the RBB and hold them for 15 mins after the game.

joel31
06-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Snip snip....

Your picture clearly shows the southern concourse as having bays 40-43, which when in NRL configuration is ticketed. These bays clearly have entry/exit points that are just as secure as bay2! Given the popularity with those in the squadron, previously in the squadron and potentially in the squadron, this is an option which MUST be pushed with HSG. Given a crew have now relocated to the corner terrace and the squadron debunked to said terrace in the wet, what's stopping you? IMHO, if you don't move from bay 2 to southern concourse, there will be more in the corner terrace than bay 2 by seasons end.

Anyway, to give you some constructive feedback, stay in bay 2, tarp the ends of bay 2 and 1 to stop people moving down the seats or over the edge of the stand and have the seccos do their job. No ticket, no entry. Sell the $5 upgrade at the entry points if need be. Do the same for the RBB and hold them for 15 mins after the game.
I like this idea. especially the $5 upgrade at entry point for members if remain in bay 2 and holding in RBB

Blackmac79
06-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Bay 60 hooligans allez

belchardo
06-01-2014, 09:22 PM
cards on the table first: i don't sit with the squadron on the few occasions i actually make it to the game. (i am thinking about a membership though as i appreciate the effort/atmosphere/tifo you guys create)

pros:
1. eastern stand is a complete bitch in summer. that sun - god, got to drink like a fish (not the gary type though) just to stay hydrated. western stand gives better sun protection and probably helps with energy levels.
2. closer to the better beer service areas

cons:
1. visibility - if OUR fans move to the western side, you will have effectively zero visibility. ever since the western stand opened, the eastern stand looks just about empty and on TV it looks shit (compounded by the permanent opening of the upper levels of eastern stand). no offence, but the squadron numbers seems to have dropped off recently and moving will just make everybody think we are the mariners mark 2. if you aren't visible on the broadcast 90% of the time, you don't exist.
2. screwing your own fans - sorry, why is the club considering bending over to assist away fans? if there is a problem with away fans, make the away fans move to fix it! away fans are there at most 1/13 regular season games per season.
3. precedent - if they move you once to satisfy a slightly sticky situation, how many times will they do it?
4. confusion - some games you're in bay 2, some you're in bay 60. anybody looking at it will be going: "wtf?"

my general feeling is that moving the squadron is an easy solution for hatamoto/police/club. only reading what furns has said, it looks like complete bull that they can't manage an effective security solution if you are both in the eastern stand. send them out via the northern end 15 minutes after full time, takes an extra 5 minutes to get to wherever, and 20 minutes later most of our crowd has dispersed. simplistic i know, but problem solved.

definitely voting for the squadron to stay in bay 1/2.

cheers for asking for others opinions furns.

Blackmac79
06-01-2014, 09:30 PM
By my comment I mean that as someone inside the squadron. That the move excites me. It is a refresh. A new start to engAge a new audience in the western stand. I really think that bay 60 is the best option.

- it will be out of the sun resulting in higher energy levels
- it is more condensed resulting in better atmosphere.
- there is better room for colour and banners etc.
- kick start tifo ideas for a new area resulting in better displays.
- ability tto include new audiences in the western stand.

furns
06-01-2014, 09:37 PM
all good comments so far. Keep them coming

sammydog
06-01-2014, 09:40 PM

Bear in mind I don't sit with the squadron, and I would prefer they were at the end of the stadium, but would the seats at the end of the ground (BAYS 40-43) result in the active support being too spread out laterally to really be effective?

While I agree, they are seated with defined entry/exit points, I am not sure they really lend themselves to the active support due to limited depth.

baldrick
06-01-2014, 09:56 PM
When I've sat in the eastern stand; usually up towards bay 9-10 I've never heard the squadron.

Moving to the western stand may not be the way to engage the fans in that stand.

And why should the squadron move for some games ? Move the away fans, it's our home ground !

furns
06-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Just to clarify, it would be a permanent move. The stakeholders suggested it for high risk games, but we dont see the benefit in continually swapping.
The trial run would be to make sure its a positive move before confirming to stay there. Worst case scenario, we try it for the WSW and Phoenix games, if it sucks we swap back and tell them we tried it and it didnt work.

furns
06-01-2014, 10:05 PM
When I've sat in the eastern stand; usually up towards bay 9-10 I've never heard the squadron.

Moving to the western stand may not be the way to engage the fans in that stand.

And why should the squadron move for some games ? Move the away fans, it's our home ground !Away fans have been moved around before

Its more that we are being given the option first, as nobody had thought to ask us if we WANTED to stay in bay 2 or if we would prefer to move instead.

Sam
06-01-2014, 10:05 PM
I reckon it could work. Ive read pros and cons, maybe trial it first, but I reckon it could just be the shake up the squadron need. Hopefully it'll bring more people/bring people back to the active support.

Thomas477
06-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Firstly, I don't sit with the squadron, but I am a supporter.

As others have said why should we have to bend over for away fans. If security can't find a safe way for active support in those "high risk" games, then there shouldn't be any away active support allowed. In my opinion if we are just talking about three particular away fan groups then we should be in discussions with them about the restrictions we will be placing on them when they visit us. We shouldn't be giving them free range over our home ground. If they want to watch their team up here they will have to comply with our restrictions. None of this Wanderers fans buying tickets for every part of the stadium. They should be forced to sit in the away fan bay/s or risk getting kicked out. Just like what they do in England.

As for security not being able to safely contained them I find that hard to believe. Surely all they have to do is tarp one half of say bay seven, then put up one of of those temporary fences you see near construction sites inside the eastern standard. Obviously this needs to include beer and food stores but that should be easy enough to police. If the away area total seating is reduced, that's not the clubs fault.

If that proves to hard for jets admin, then the away fans should be moved and similar precautions taken in the western standard to ensure the away fans are segregated, at least for the high risk games. I don't know how that will go on with the season ticket holders but the club should support their own fans over bending over for away fans.

I am not a fan of the squadron moving arbitrarily, I believe you should stay in Bay 2. We can't let eight seasons of work in bay 2 suddenly disappear. Everyone knows bay 2 is the squadrons bay, and all I can see is the moving causing confusing.

Plus, how dodgy will it look when we have the RBB taking over the eastern stand on TV with no Jets fans in sight.

WolfMan
06-01-2014, 11:10 PM
I think the positives are, as stated multiple times, the shade Western Stand will provide, and the new audience to engage with,

Negatives, Fox Sports actually want to capture what the Squadron do and yell/chant/sing. The audio wouldn't be an issue, but the visual element could be lost. Unless they set up those remote cameras all the time, as they do for some larger matches (think there was one in front of Bay 2 for the WSW match).
And the disengaging with the Eastern stand, who have been pretty good in getting behind the Squadron, especially with the easier "Come on Newcastle" and "Jets" chants.

My vote is for a trial at least and see how it fits everybody.

sammydog
06-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Would it be disengaging? Could you argue that they now know the call and response and would carry it on. the move may then engage the west?

Just a thought.

hawk
06-01-2014, 11:52 PM
some good points. Youll notice on any hot arvo bay2 is depleted. bay 60 would help to fix this. Not sure about the view although bay is pretty sh1te anyway.

Northern Swan mentioned the other option of the southern hill behind goals. This is my preferred however as furns has stated elsewhere that it isn't seen as a secured seated area which is needed for active support and is slightly harder to achieve tifo displays.

But... how would the existing southern hillites feel about this?

Skirt Boy
07-01-2014, 12:00 AM
It's still not going to do anything.

Most people enter through the Western stand or the Southern entry into the Eastern stand.

Now when the match is finished both groups will generally walk in the same direction to get to either the Tenzo or the station so you will still have problems just not at the game itself.

I guess then it becomes a problem for "somebody" else to fix.

furns
07-01-2014, 12:44 AM
SB has brought up a good point, let me explain what the possible plans are.
The away supporters on the Eastern side would be marched straight out the stadium via the Southern gates, across the Styx and direct to the station.
The home supporters would be exited via the SouthWestern exits, then down Turton Rd avoiding the away supporters completely.

We have asked numerous times for the away supporters to be exited via the Northern gates at fulltime & blocked from coming further down the Eastern stand concourse on gameday. We have been told that they are not allowed to block off or restrict access on the concourse, and we have been told that there is no way to get the away supporters from the Northern exit to the station. We suggested via the harness racing track, however there is apparently no direct route and the track want to charge the Jets to be able to use it as a thoroughfare.

We have suggested a lot of these options before, we dont just blindly go into every game with no prior planning, however we can only suggest ideas to the stakeholders who provide us with responses as to why they cant or can happen. The general feedback is that the Eastern Stand and the general design around the stadium leaves a lot to be desired with regards to effective crowd flow management.

I hope this provides people with more info.

Skirt Boy
07-01-2014, 01:38 AM
SB has brought up a good point, let me explain what the possible plans are.
The away supporters on the Eastern side would be marched straight out the stadium via the Southern gates, across the Styx and direct to the station.
The home supporters would be exited via the SouthWestern exits, then down Turton Rd avoiding the away supporters completely.

We have asked numerous times for the away supporters to be exited via the Northern gates at fulltime & blocked from coming further down the Eastern stand concourse on gameday. We have been told that they are not allowed to block off or restrict access on the concourse, and we have been told that there is no way to get the away supporters from the Northern exit to the station. We suggested via the harness racing track, however there is apparently no direct route and the track want to charge the Jets to be able to use it as a thoroughfare.

We have suggested a lot of these options before, we dont just blindly go into every game with no prior planning, however we can only suggest ideas to the stakeholders who provide us with responses as to why they cant or can happen. The general feedback is that the Eastern Stand and the general design around the stadium leaves a lot to be desired with regards to effective crowd flow management.

I hope this provides people with more info.

To be honest it doesn't matter what they do. It will be impossible to separate the fans. Who's going to walk to the Tenzo the long way when they can take a shortcut through district park?

So it doesn't really matter where the groups are. The most practical and easiest solution would be to hold the away fans at the stadium for 30 minutes until most of the home crowd has gone and have police watching the route from the stadium to the Tenzo. But then could **** with peoples travel arrangements if they rely on the trains to get to the game.

joel31
07-01-2014, 02:59 AM
To be honest it doesn't matter what they do. It will be impossible to separate the fans. Who's going to walk to the Tenzo the long way when they can take a shortcut through district park?

So it doesn't really matter where the groups are. The most practical and easiest solution would be to hold the away fans at the stadium for 30 minutes until most of the home crowd has gone and have police watching the route from the stadium to the Tenzo. But then could **** with peoples travel arrangements if they rely on the trains to get to the game.
Problem with that is NSW teams at least a lot will catch the train back and could be forced to miss most suited one if held in 30 mins.

GazFish35
07-01-2014, 07:45 AM
I think the positives are, as stated multiple times, the shade Western Stand will provide, and the new audience to engage with,

Negatives, Fox Sports actually want to capture what the Squadron do and yell/chant/sing. The audio wouldn't be an issue, but the visual element could be lost. Unless they set up those remote cameras all the time, as they do for some larger matches (think there was one in front of Bay 2 for the WSW match).
And the disengaging with the Eastern stand, who have been pretty good in getting behind the Squadron, especially with the easier "Come on Newcastle" and "Jets" chants.

My vote is for a trial at least and see how it fits everybody.

On your fox point.
I think we need to regain our focus on making noise for the team, not the cameras.
Part of the issue in bay2 (I feel anyway) is that many are there to be seen in bay2 and not necessarily heard.
Being "on camera" seems to have attracted the quite types.

What fox want should never take priority over making noise for the team, if we can get bigger number and bigger noise being out of the sun then we've gotta try it.

I also think its worth pointing out the move isn't just 'to accommodate away fans' but to make a positive move from a situation that has arisen.

Jeterpool
07-01-2014, 08:49 AM
I'm a member in Bay 58 and while I don't sit with the Squadron I like to chant where I can.

When I read this, I actually spoke to my wife about it. Her response was "I don't care. It'd be good with a bit more noise and improve the atmosphere". I asked if it would put her off coming to which she replied No. I asked about the noiuse and she said it wouldn't bother her because I make enought now as it is anyway :gent:

I guess I can make some suggestions and thoughts:

* How often do Fox REALLY zoom in on the Squadron? Sure they use their fised western side cameras but they also have the roving guy who could take that shot if needed. The only shot I would miss is us giving it to the guy in the corner when they take the set piece/corner. The sound can be fixed with a microphone. This is really a negligible issue. We can still abuse the opposition when they come to a corner. The cameraman will have to work harder!

* Positioned out of the sun I honestly think you'll get more people.

* There are more people in the Western Stand. Despite not being called into the "WHO ARE WE" chant there actually ARE people who are chanting it at the time. We're just waiting to be included! This will start to include a whole new group of people who aren't really engaged. They chant every now and then but I think they are an un-tapped area.

* The corner bay will appear more imposing to the eye, in my opinion.

* In saying that, some members will need to be relocated as will the dancing kids who sit there during the game.

Having thought about it I see this only as a positive move. I was originally against it but the more i think about it, the more sense it makes. Plus I won't be the only idiot in Bay 58 singing Never Tear Us Apart - I'll have some help!

Will try come along Sunday to meet a few of you and would be good to discuss more.

BodyNovo
07-01-2014, 08:52 AM
I'm a member in Bay 58 and while I don't sit with the Squadron I like to chant where I can.

When I read this, I actually spoke to my wife about it. Her response was "I don't care. It'd be good with a bit more noise and improve the atmosphere". I asked if it would put her off coming to which she replied No. I asked about the noiuse and she said it wouldn't bother her because I make enought now as it is anyway :gent:

I guess I can make some suggestions and thoughts:

* How often do Fox REALLY zoom in on the Squadron? Sure they use their fised western side cameras but they also have the roving guy who could take that shot if needed. The only shot I would miss is us giving it to the guy in the corner when they take the set piece/corner. The sound can be fixed with a microphone. This is really a negligible issue. We can still abuse the opposition when they come to a corner. The cameraman will have to work harder!

* Positioned out of the sun I honestly think you'll get more people.

* There are more people in the Western Stand. Despite not being called into the "WHO ARE WE" chant there actually ARE people who are chanting it at the time. We're just waiting to be included! This will start to include a whole new group of people who aren't really engaged. They chant every now and then but I think they are an un-tapped area.

* The corner bay will appear more imposing to the eye, in my opinion.

* In saying that, some members will need to be relocated as will the dancing kids who sit there during the game.

Having thought about it I see this only as a positive move. I was originally against it but the more i think about it, the more sense it makes. Plus I won't be the only idiot in Bay 58 singing Never Tear Us Apart - I'll have some help!

Will try come along Sunday to meet a few of you and would be good to discuss more.

pretty much a replica of my thoughts.

Rocknerd
07-01-2014, 11:09 AM
I'd just like to add, **** fox.

Football isn't about getting your mug on the telly, we're not the RBB. you should be either supporting the team, watching the game or both.

Bay 60 is the winner

WolfMan
07-01-2014, 02:24 PM
To clarify, I wasn't saying I care about the squadron getting on tv, I just raised the point as Fox might see it (or not as the case may be)

Anyway, it seems as though a vast majority (myself included) are all for a move to the West Side

selassie
07-01-2014, 02:58 PM
They need to keep the prices down in Bay 60 to get the kids along.

goaliepersempre
07-01-2014, 04:02 PM
I was thinking this over.. The corner like being behind the goal allows for people to continue to watch the game but still be in the eyesite of the direction of chants.

It would also be better when we have a critical situation attack or defense and you don't get the whole bay looking right and forgetting to chant now you basically look straight forward. So most people might hopefully continue to chant.

The kurva design like is cool :)

joel31
07-01-2014, 05:55 PM
They need to keep the prices down in Bay 60 to get the kids along.
agreed. price needs to be the same either way

MFKS
07-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Umm as for the issue of where Squadron are located to me this is a separate issue.

My Issue with this matter is different to recent posts

One thing I find quite ironic is that many a time in recent weeks many posters on the Foz have been highly critical of HSG/Jets and RIGHTLY FUC K ING SO for ****ing over their PAYING members to accommodate these ****ing RBB SCUM

Now the club comes to you and asks you to move to accommodate the ****ing RBB SCUM so the club Security/Police can avoid their responsibilities with dealing with them and you ****ers are standing for this and think it is a good idea??

Sure move to the Western Stand if that's what you want to do but I am pretty irritated the Club is asking Jets fans once again to bend over backwards and accommodate these ****ing House Upstarts.

Also you move and what happens to the other couple of thousand in the Eastern Stand. They are still able to be harassed/attacked etc by this RBB SCUM

militiamon
07-01-2014, 06:49 PM
^ This was why I opposed it initially MFKS, I had the exact same reaction as you, and I was making those same arguments on Saturday.

My advice is to ignore the whole RBB/security issue. That was what initially promted us to think about the move, but it's become much bigger than that now. Now it's about moving to a superior position in the interests of increasing the level of active support. The key part about this is that it's permanent, so ultimately it has nothing to do with security.

We would not be in favour of moving only for the games against Western Sydney. If that's what the police/security/club propose, then I would strongly oppose it for the reasons you have given.

PS I must say, it's been pretty good to see the level of interest in this issue, especially from those outside The Squadron. Good to know that people still give a damn about what goes on.

My2BobsWorth
07-01-2014, 07:27 PM
I think I speak for 99% of the western stand when i say no, too much noise, beer line too long

Blackmac79
07-01-2014, 08:31 PM
I think I speak for 99% of the western stand when i say no, too much noise, beer line too long

I do disagree with you. Having spoken to several others in the Western stand...

MFKS
07-01-2014, 08:53 PM

The beer line is too long in the Western Stand already point blank. Another 100 or so will make **** all difference

Blackmac79
07-01-2014, 09:12 PM
I read the twitter comments & if I understand there a thoughts of moving to bay 60.
The bad; 1. The fans in the Western stand won't be able to see you 2. How would the TIFO's be managed as tv cameras pointing to the east.
The good; 1. I think there is a greater chance of fan engagement as it is easier to join in with someone beside u rather then someone who you are looking at. 2. Being on the western side I think will show the doubters that the Sauadron wants to be inclusive & it will put the squadron in a better position to lead the the rest to the Jets supporters (but still be able to show the what active support is all about). 3. Could be a good move to engage all those on the southern hill. hopefully these comments add a little to the decision making process.

Comments from a western stand regular who I have a good relationship with.

sammydog
07-01-2014, 09:22 PM

They sell beer??? When did that happen?

GazFish35
07-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Tifo's in bay 60 would be easier for players to see both when then line up for the game after coming out, and when they walk off. TV cameras should be lowest priority. Tifo is about lifting the team and the crowd.

MFKS
07-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Plus one other positive of being in Bay 60 as that you will be closer to Middleby /Palmer GVE etc

The "WE WANT GARY OUT" chant will not go unheard by any of them :roflz:

militiamon
07-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Negative: will not get to look up at MFKS on his perch above Bay 1/2 :(

northern_swan
07-01-2014, 10:25 PM
Problem with that is NSW teams at least a lot will catch the train back and could be forced to miss most suited one if held in 30 mins.

If it's a "high risk" game, then the police can liaise with the transport department and add a service for the RBB. If the powers that be are serious about safety for all an extra train can be organised.

MFKS
07-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Negative: will not get to look up at MFKS on his perch above Bay 1/2 :(

Militia I actually MOVED to bay 69 this season.

You are actually moving closer to us. Down below us and 20-30 yards away

Premy
07-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Just watch the highlights from the game on the weekend. The lower tier of the Eastern Stand looked all but empty on TV, maybe the nice people from fox sports can take their cameras to the Eastern Stand.

Jeterpool
08-01-2014, 08:45 AM
Something else I thought of which will be a positive:

The players warm up in that corner and walk off their to get ready, at half time and at full time.

What better way to walk off than going past the chanting, cheering squadron!

GazFish35
08-01-2014, 11:08 AM

The players warm up in that corner and walk off their to get ready, at half time and at full time.

Great point

furns
08-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Umm as for the issue of where Squadron are located to me this is a separate issue.

My Issue with this matter is different to recent posts

One thing I find quite ironic is that many a time in recent weeks many posters on the Foz have been highly critical of HSG/Jets and RIGHTLY FUC K ING SO for ****ing over their PAYING members to accommodate these ****ing RBB SCUM

Now the club comes to you and asks you to move to accommodate the ****ing RBB SCUM so the club Security/Police can avoid their responsibilities with dealing with them and you ****ers are standing for this and think it is a good idea??

Sure move to the Western Stand if that's what you want to do but I am pretty irritated the Club is asking Jets fans once again to bend over backwards and accommodate these ****ing House Upstarts.

Also you move and what happens to the other couple of thousand in the Eastern Stand. They are still able to be harassed/attacked etc by this RBB SCUM
Just to clarify, this wasnt initially raised by the club.

newi24-2-08
08-01-2014, 11:22 AM
How about show some ****ing heart and stay where you are...WSW isn't a "high risk" game you muppets, you're just scared shitless of a couple of blokes with flares...this is where the squadron have always been situated and this is where we always should be.

No wonder people are leaving in droves when the main "stakeholders" and "committee members" are ****ing cowards

Jeterpool
08-01-2014, 11:30 AM
How about show some ****ing heart and stay where you are...WSW isn't a "high risk" game you muppets, you're just scared shitless of a couple of blokes with flares...this is where the squadron have always been situated and this is where we always should be.

No wonder people are leaving in droves when the main "stakeholders" and "committee members" are ****ing cowards

Being open to change and working with stakeholders doesn't make you a coward. In fact it's the opposite. To embrace it and look at alternatives to improve the squadron is in fact the opposite of cowardly.

It depends on how you look at it.

sammydog
08-01-2014, 12:32 PM

Cowards for donating their time/effort to run something that benefits most of the stadium? Hardly.

No, cowardly would be sitting back doing nothing and taking potshots when you don't like something.

Jeterpool
08-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Great point

Thanks Gaz!

*cough* my wife thought it up *cough*

Grimario
08-01-2014, 12:52 PM

How is looking to move to a different spot of the stadium that will encourage wider active support a cowardly act? Ignore what the trigger for all of this was - a bunch of WSW mongs going places they shouldn't have or security (allegedly) not doing their job...

A move to Bay 60 would see the main silver/gold membership areas closer to the active support, put the group diagonally opposite the away support for better stadium wide sound, it's out of the harsh afternoon sunlight, the active supporters can continue to watch the game whilst facing forward and actively supporting instead of having to break out of chants/jumping to look at sudden goal mouth activity at the north end...

How exactly is any of that a bad thing?

Blackmac79
08-01-2014, 01:45 PM

I feel so cowardly about this move.

Or is that excitement and anticipation?

A chance to re-invigorate and build on our solid base.
A chance to try something new in a new area with new possibilities.
A location where away fans are visible to us so we can compete, and best them in the stands
A location where we can include a new group who have previously been left out.
A place where we are out of the heat and the sun. Making being active and moving comfortable rather than exhausting.

I don't think it is cowardice I feel after all...

BodyNovo
08-01-2014, 02:20 PM
http://netdna.copyblogger.com/images/cowardly-lion.jpg

the squadron committee leader pondering his next move

Grimario
08-01-2014, 02:28 PM
http://netdna.copyblogger.com/images/cowardly-lion.jpg

the squadron committee leader pondering his next move

The fans questioning their motives.

http://fbtrouble.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/enhanced-buzz-14285-1366916932-12.jpg

GazFish35
08-01-2014, 03:39 PM
http://newcitymagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/keyboard-warrior-600x370.jpg

Scarecrow and who's army.

FFS how is taking a gamble to move in order to reinvigorate cowardly? Talks about moving have been floating around for years, the thing that stopped progression of these talks was the belief that it wasn't possible. Now wwe have a chance to investigate this further, so that chance is being taken. Wow. Cowards, the lot of us.

In reality the dodgiest bit has been to not take these discussions further a few years ago.

traffic light
08-01-2014, 04:05 PM

Not to do with away crowd coastie. Actually, having the away crowd close is the only reason to stay. But being from a family with retardation problems you may not understand this.

belchardo
08-01-2014, 04:10 PM
wow this thread has taken a turn.

how about we all can the insults and be more constructive?

furns
08-01-2014, 04:15 PM
I echo bels statement. If people want to continue to be dicks I can always start handing out bans.

militiamon
08-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Agree. It was one dude lol, and the responses that immediately followed him were good enough. Cool your jets errybody.

I've personally been very pleased with the responses in this thread, very encouraging.

Rocknerd
08-01-2014, 04:41 PM
I echo bels statement. If people want to continue to be dicks I can always start handing out bans.

But Furns!!!!!! this has been the most entertainment on the foz all week! Personally I feel new24-02-08 should be allowed to reply to each person individually and express his views.

Especially after being called a Coastie!

BTW why is Coastie not blocked by the swearing filter? Mods failing again!

My2BobsWorth
08-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Put it in the Herald, on Twitta, and on Facebook and you'll see a negative reaction

Thomas477
08-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Just a side question. During these "high risk" games, will away fans be confined to the away bays? Ie we won't have any Wanderers fans in Bay 55? Seems if people want to cause trouble, all they have to do is buy a GA ticket and sit next to the squadron with their Wanderers jersey on and security won't do a thing? Or was that not covered in discussions?

sammydog
08-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Just a side question. During these "high risk" games, will away fans be confined to the away bays? Ie we won't have any Wanderers fans in Bay 55? Seems if people want to cause trouble, all they have to do is buy a GA ticket and sit next to the squadron with their Wanderers jersey on and security won't do a thing? Or was that not covered in discussions?

Thats a good question. Last Wanderers game one of the boxes behind us in Bay 55 was full of WSW fans. while they were no trouble, and all the wanderers fans I have met/talked with have been great. If the club is worried about separation this much, then surely its something that needs to be thought about.

In my opinion though, the family types that sit away from the RBB are pretty low risk (as are 99.9% of the RBB). I think the idiots will still congregate in with the masses to start with.

newi24-2-08
08-01-2014, 07:24 PM

This epitomises everything wrong with the squadron. Ban someone for having an opinion on the way they think the stadium should be run....got to be kidding me. Ban everyone that doesn't agree with "furns" lmao.

How about you guys try and figure out some decent chants and get your OWN members to sing with you before you start trying to recruit other kids and elderly members from the western stand

Blackmac79
08-01-2014, 07:55 PM
This epitomises everything wrong with the squadron. Ban someone for having an opinion on the way they think the stadium should be run....got to be kidding me. Ban everyone that doesn't agree with "furns" lmao.

How about you guys try and figure out some decent chants and get your OWN members to sing with you before you start trying to recruit other kids and elderly members from the western stand

I don't think that furns was talking about you....

That said, if you do happen to have genuinely constructive things to add. Feel free to come and see me on game day. I am always up for a chat. Pretty approachable too. So long as your not rude.

militiamon
08-01-2014, 08:01 PM

Thats a good question. Last Wanderers game one of the boxes behind us in Bay 55 was full of WSW fans. while they were no trouble, and all the wanderers fans I have met/talked with have been great. If the club is worried about separation this much, then surely its something that needs to be thought about.

In my opinion though, the family types that sit away from the RBB are pretty low risk (as are 99.9% of the RBB). I think the idiots will still congregate in with the masses to start with.

Without going into it too much, this is basically your answer. The powers that be are ultimately not that worried about segregation, so I think there's no chance they'll force away fans to buy tickets in away bays. I used to think that this was due to apathy, but as it turns out the decision making around these issues is much more deliberate, which I find even more worrying.

GazFish35
08-01-2014, 09:09 PM

Any help on what might be considered a decent chant?
More English wit? Less euro ultra? Lyric based rearrangements of common tunes?

baldrick
08-01-2014, 09:16 PM

Win.

Great reason.

evolution
08-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Put it in the Herald, on Twitta, and on Facebook and you'll see a negative reaction

Honestly the Squadron could cure cancer and they'd probably still get a negative reaction on there.

lquiquer
08-01-2014, 10:00 PM
@ all football clubs: Away bays r for away fans only and compulsory to away fans.... let's keep it logical and simple ..... And don't give them too many bays

Thomas477
08-01-2014, 10:00 PM
Without going into it too much, this is basically your answer. The powers that be are ultimately not that worried about segregation, so I think there's no chance they'll force away fans to buy tickets in away bays. I used to think that this was due to apathy, but as it turns out the decision making around these issues is much more deliberate, which I find even more worrying.

Cheers militia, but following on from that, it seems that the FFA and Jets are taking a huge risk assuming that the problem fans will be in the away bays. Also, what's to stop the RBB walking around to Bay 60?

GazFish35
08-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Bay 60/59 is easier to close off from 58.

The entry and exit points at the back of the bays back out into the concourse are less open too.

hawk
09-01-2014, 12:21 AM
@ all football clubs: Away bays r for away fans only and compulsory to away fans.... let's keep it logical and simple ..... And don't give them too many bays

yep. 2 bays full house.

hawk
09-01-2014, 12:27 AM

To be fair your 1st comment was stupid and this 2nd one is equally off the mark. Why bother?

militiamon
09-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Cheers militia, but following on from that, it seems that the FFA and Jets are taking a huge risk assuming that the problem fans will be in the away bays. Also, what's to stop the RBB walking around to Bay 60?

PMed you.

It's good to see suggestions re security and whatnot being made, it gives us issues that we can bring to future meetings with the club/security/police or further weight to our current arguments. That goes for any Jets supporter btw, whether you're in Bay 1 or Bay 55. kutgw nf.net.

hawk
09-01-2014, 12:50 AM

I think your putting too much emphasis on actions of the away crowd T. Its also a trial to see if the sound, tifos, and shade will be different in another spot.

baldrick
09-01-2014, 05:45 AM
Bay 60/59 is easier to close off from 58.

The entry and exit points at the back of the bays back out into the concourse are less open too.

You guys know there's a walkway that runs along the whole length of the western stand, 3/4 the way up the seated area ?

Blackmac79
09-01-2014, 06:38 AM
It is still far less open than the eastern stand.

GazFish35
09-01-2014, 08:19 AM
You guys know there's a walkway that runs along the whole length of the western stand, 3/4 the way up the seated area ?

Yep. But I think the amount of rows of seats interrupted by the players race and other things blocking seats makes moving through the stand much more difficult.

As mentioned by hawk though, this idea is not driven by what the away fans might do.

There's been plenty of feedback about a range of issues, chants, "exclusivity" and the a big one has been the sun. Works being done on points 1 & 2, this move would help point 3.

Beeen
09-01-2014, 11:09 AM
The southern hill pissheads might even be tempted to mosey on over to bay 60

furns
09-01-2014, 11:25 AM

The problem was not your opinion.
It was the way you said it that was the issue.

The Dunster
09-01-2014, 12:01 PM
I have no desire to be part of the squadron or to join in on the chants, but if they move I'll probably go to the western stand as well - because it's going to be as boring as bat-shit in Bay three without the squadron next to us.

09-01-2014, 01:33 PM
The problem was not your opinion.
It was the way you said it that was the issue.

He may have been a bit harsh, he may not have.
He is right though, as I have been a member for the past 2 seasons and sit in the bay next to the squadron I continually see young teenagers there not chanting just talking and laughing and doing there own thing,
why not kick them out of the squadron if they are not going to continually chant? as that is what you guys are there to do, and to support the Jets obviously. Seems like they are just there to say they are part of
the squadron, surely there are numerous amounts of people that would want to be standing there chanting but I guess not with some of the immature teenagers that are there. Granted though you guys do have some good
chants and it is entertaining, but to be honest the 5-10 blokes who stand up against the wall in bay 3 behind me, drink piss and have there own are equally entertaining.
I seriously think you guys should not be carrying on about the sun that beams down, yes it hits you like Chuck Norris's fist but honestly eat some cement. A match last year confirmed what I had thought, there were maybe 5-7
thousand people at the match, raining all match looked over at the squadron and there were maybe 20 people there(was the match when Burns would not run for a single ****ing ball!!!and I think the crowd members name was Sam,
and was letting burnsy know he was being a useless twat haha) That match kinda showed well to me anyway, the level of dedication to the game and to the jets the majority of the squadron has. I seriously doubt that changing seating
plans will improve your committment and raise your noise level but I hope I can be proved wrong if you guys do change locations.

I personally would rather you guys stay in bay 2. Think of this, in 20-30 years time wouldn't it be good to say or hear commentators say, that's where the squadron are based they have been there for 30 plus years...they had to
put in a giant cage like fence because the supporters are just to violent( just joking about the cage part :grin:...) and anyway the squadron support will only grow if you have the right PR guys. could grow bigger and bigger from bay 2 to 3.

Anyway you can take this as constructive criticism or destructive criticism.

Final words-
What is Active Support?
Active support is the passionate and vocal support of the team through cheering, chanting and standing for the majority of the match.

Through songs, banners and tifo displays, active supporters bring a truly unique level of noise, colour and passion to football stadiums around the world.

Hunter Stadium is no exception to this, with Newcastle Jets players having fed off the energy and passion of the crowd for the past eight A-League seasons.

The supporters act as an invaluable 12th man and have the ability to lift and inspire the team.

furns
09-01-2014, 01:53 PM
At the end of the day there is really not much we can do about cutouts. We yell at them to sing we are labelled as being aggressive. We boot them out we are labelled as non welcoming and exclusive.

If the move comes off, we will be in a smaller compact area with better sight lines, visible to the away bays, and located adjacent to the stand with the higher number of supporters who have never had home active support near them to engage with.

GazFish35
09-01-2014, 02:58 PM
He may have been a bit harsh, he may not have.
He is right though, as I have been a member for the past 2 seasons and sit in the bay next to the squadron I continually see young teenagers there not chanting just talking and laughing and doing there own thing,
why not kick them out of the squadron if they are not going to continually chant? as that is what you guys are there to do, and to support the Jets obviously. Seems like they are just there to say they are part of
the squadron, surely there are numerous amounts of people that would want to be standing there chanting but I guess not with some of the immature teenagers that are there. Granted though you guys do have some good
chants and it is entertaining, but to be honest the 5-10 blokes who stand up against the wall in bay 3 behind me, drink piss and have there own are equally entertaining.
I seriously think you guys should not be carrying on about the sun that beams down, yes it hits you like Chuck Norris's fist but honestly eat some cement. A match last year confirmed what I had thought, there were maybe 5-7
thousand people at the match, raining all match looked over at the squadron and there were maybe 20 people there(was the match when Burns would not run for a single ****ing ball!!!and I think the crowd members name was Sam,
and was letting burnsy know he was being a useless twat haha) That match kinda showed well to me anyway, the level of dedication to the game and to the jets the majority of the squadron has. I seriously doubt that changing seating
plans will improve your committment and raise your noise level but I hope I can be proved wrong if you guys do change locations.

I personally would rather you guys stay in bay 2. Think of this, in 20-30 years time wouldn't it be good to say or hear commentators say, that's where the squadron are based they have been there for 30 plus years...they had to
put in a giant cage like fence because the supporters are just to violent( just joking about the cage part :grin:...) and anyway the squadron support will only grow if you have the right PR guys. could grow bigger and bigger from bay 2 to 3.

Anyway you can take this as constructive criticism or destructive criticism.

Final words-
What is Active Support?
Active support is the passionate and vocal support of the team through cheering, chanting and standing for the majority of the match.

Through songs, banners and tifo displays, active supporters bring a truly unique level of noise, colour and passion to football stadiums around the world.

Hunter Stadium is no exception to this, with Newcastle Jets players having fed off the energy and passion of the crowd for the past eight A-League seasons.

The supporters act as an invaluable 12th man and have the ability to lift and inspire the team.

Agree with some of your points, but to be fair to guys that still get stuck in the sun clearly isn't an issue for them.... But it's been one piece of feedback we've been getting for years.

Granted it could just be an excuse, but I know I'd be able to last longer at full voice out of the heat.

GazFish35
09-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Anyone watch the ThursdayFC interview with reegs?

Bay 60/59 looked very appealing.

Premy
09-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Was thinking the same thing watching it

evolution
09-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Watching the Thursday FC replay now... and you're both right! Bay 60 looks like the perfect spot for active support. Would love to see this happen.

hawk
09-01-2014, 11:58 PM
to be honest the 5-10 blokes who stand up against the wall in bay 3 behind me, drink piss and have there own are equally entertaining.
I dont mind having active supports around the ground. Its not a contest. Adds atmosphere, breaks down the shutup cultre and could lead to large chants in the near future. power to them.

raining all match looked over at the squadron and there were maybe 20 people there
Im at the point where ill only go at night or when raining. its alright for younguns to nek beers and chant in the summer sun all game all game, lol.

I seriously doubt that changing seating plans will improve your committment and raise your noise level but I hope I can be proved wrong if you guys do change locations. this may be true. especially when the west is used to getting the noise from front on. Interesting how both stands will react to the new acoustics. (if we get enough actives of course).

I personally would rather you guys stay in bay 2. Think of this, in 20-30 years time wouldn't it be good to say or hear commentators say, that's where the squadron are based they have been there for 30 plus years
very valid point. The historical factor does count for something and maybe a bit of kudos. The spread of the adjoining bay was something that was hoped might have happened one day. This might be now undone. we may never know. Im not sure have many bay 3 fans were somewhat singing with us. bay 2 always appreciates any help.

the squadron support will only grow if you have the right PR guys. could grow bigger and bigger from bay 2 to 3.
maybe. Maybe the new bay 2 fans will team up with bay 3 and start chanting? Thats a challenge id like to see.

cheers 1-5. feel free to come and join us sometime

northern_swan
10-01-2014, 11:20 AM
I'd had a say earlier, but subsequent discussions have made me think of another potential issue. Fox Sports. At the end of the day, they pay the bills. If Fox don't like the idea of filming an empty stand, they won't let the club move the squadron.
Not saying that's the way it should be, just suggesting that's a way it could be.

Rocknerd
10-01-2014, 11:34 AM
I'd had a say earlier, but subsequent discussions have made me think of another potential issue. Fox Sports. At the end of the day, they pay the bills. If Fox don't like the idea of filming an empty stand, they won't let the club move the squadron.
Not saying that's the way it should be, just suggesting that's a way it could be.

Wel I guess they should have brought that up with the mariners and Nix previously.

joel31
10-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Wel I guess they should have brought that up with the mariners and Nix previously.
don't forget the heart

Jeterpool
10-01-2014, 12:21 PM

You raise a good point. They are also Stakeholders in this and should be consulted as part of the process.

There is a fine balance and all points and parties need to considered.

GazFish35
10-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Fox want care about 50 blokes moving seats.
The mariners crowd mainly sit i their western stand too hence why they always look emptier than how empty they are.

If they wanted crowds in shot they'd have cameras on the western touch line facing the stands.

hawk
10-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Fox want care about 50 blokes moving seats.
The mariners crowd mainly sit i their western stand too hence why they always look emptier than how empty they are.

If they wanted crowds in shot they'd have cameras on the western touch line facing the stands.

what gaz said, the "game" camera can get the play and fence adverts. cut away to a fan camera when needed.

militiamon
10-01-2014, 01:47 PM
I just thought it was a matter of basic design that broadcasting cameras at all stadiums in the world are on the Western side to avoid the glare of the afternoon sun.
Not going to change that because The Squadron decides to move, lol.

joel31
10-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Where abouts does bay 60 go up until.Is it just the corner or is the 1st bay in the western stand bay 60 as well
http://puu.sh/6fB5J.jpg

ToddG NBUnited
10-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Where abouts does bay 60 go up until.Is it just the corner or is the 1st bay in the western stand bay 60 as well
http://puu.sh/6fB5J.jpg

i'm going to say that it is everything to the south(left) of the bay from the jets logo on regans shirt?

http://imageshack.com/a/img819/4883/sin5.jpg

furns
10-01-2014, 02:39 PM
As far as I can tell, Todd is right. 59 is the bay is the bay on the far right of that pic next to that entryway.

Jetmaster
10-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Speaking as an older member who sat in the Eastern Stand until the new one got built I advise moving. Your general "hardcore" football fans who know all there is to know about football culture are in that stand. The Eastern Stand is now filled with the fair weather family fans making the most of the cheap tickets.

You will find it easier to engage with the Western fans as they know where you are coming from. Quite often chants will start up there without Squadron assistance and it can get quite loud.

Much more comfortable too - a no brainer.

joel31
10-01-2014, 03:27 PM
When are we going to trial it?
I assume you'll still be in bay 2 tonight

Jeterpool
10-01-2014, 03:28 PM
As far as I can tell, Todd is right. 59 is the bay is the bay on the far right of that pic next to that entryway.

Yes. he is right

Schultz
10-01-2014, 07:36 PM
As I felt the need to vote for Slobs, I did so.
But i'm for the move.

MFKS
10-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Did notice about 50-100 including young kids in this area tonight

furns
11-01-2014, 12:30 AM
Yes thats the dance squad - they will generally get put in that area because its supposed to be empty. If the move goes ahead, they will be seated elsewhere.

ToddG NBUnited
11-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Went around during the second half and took some photos from both bay 60 and 72. The view is definitely different then from bay 2 i'll put them up a bit later today right now i need to go for a swim before i dies from annoucnent that GRIFF IS BACK!!!!!

hawk
11-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Yes thats the dance squad - they will generally get put in that area because its supposed to be empty. If the move goes ahead, they will be seated elsewhere.

had a look last night. at the the pizza shape the view is better from about 6 rows back. any lower cant see much.

for a small crowd bay 2 was making some good noise last night.

Grimario
11-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Poll invalid due to lack of "wherever the **** Griff wants them to sit" option.

sammydog
11-01-2014, 11:23 AM
You can see Bay 60 pretty clearly from Bay 55.

It may actually make the squadron visible from more of the stadium.

Jeterpool
11-01-2014, 12:19 PM
I spoke generally about the move with people who sit around me in Bay 58. They were all up for it and think that it would be a really good thing. They could understand the reason behind a potential move and the positives it could have.

The people in the surrounding bay are stakeholders as well. Has there been any thought put into surveying the people who sit in this area? Unsure how this could logistically be done, maybe a flyer handout at the entrance to Bay 54 - 60, get a local business to donate some free pens as a promotion, and then have marked representatives walk these bays at half time and collect the survey??

sanchez
11-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Probably already been mentioned, but is anyone else bothered by the fact the players won't be seeing tifo dislplays, standards/banners and active support when they exit the tunnel? Seems a fruitless exercise to me with more to lose than gain.

Opposition active support should be Bay 60, like it was very briefly a few seasons ago. Don't know why they ever changed this. Wouldn't this alleviate the security concerns? Why move the sqaudron when it's as easy as relocating away supporrters?

Also, what the f*ck has happened to Bay 2 (let alone Bay 1)?? The biggest problem active support is facing is much more simple than location - it's just a pure lack of people.

MFKS
11-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Probably already been mentioned, but is anyone else bothered by the fact the players won't be seeing tifo dislplays, standards/banners and active support when they exit the tunnel? Seems a fruitless exercise to me with more to lose than gain.

Opposition active support should be Bay 60, like it was very briefly a few seasons ago. Don't know why they ever changed this. Wouldn't this alleviate the security concerns? Why move the sqaudron when it's as easy as relocating away supporrters?

Also, what the f*ck has happened to Bay 2 (let alone Bay 1)?? The biggest problem active support is facing is much more simple than location - it's just a pure lack of people.

Having a look at the ground last night it baffles me as to why the top tier of the Eastern Stand Stand is open.

Until we are getting crowds of 20k plus it should be closed. The whole Eastern Stand should be general admission. Jam the families and riff raff wanting the cheap seats there and fill it up for TV viewing. Matter of fact actually jamming everyone together would help with atmosphere.

At present the whole crowd is spread out too far

Superdylan
11-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Having a look at the ground last night it baffles me as to why the top tier of the Eastern Stand Stand is open.

Until we are getting crowds of 20k plus it should be closed. The whole Eastern Stand should be general admission. Jam the families and riff raff wanting the cheap seats there and fill it up for TV viewing. Matter of fact actually jamming everyone together would help with atmosphere.

At present the whole crowd is spread out too far

This, unless it is pouring down rain no need to have the eastern stand open for the time being.

GazFish35
11-01-2014, 01:40 PM

I get your point sanch, but after walking out, they then turn around for obligatory photos etc etc
"Lack of people" could very well be. A result of the location as much as anything. The new western stand has attracted much of the crowd to get out of the sun. Lots of people I speak to who like me haven't been around much list "the ****ing sun" as one key reason for not being in the bays as often, or for as long.

hausmann
11-01-2014, 02:32 PM
I think this would be a great move. I think I suggested it when the western stand was first completed.

The sun is a huge factor. You look at how baseball stadiums are positioned and seated and there is usually minimal seating looking into the sun or very few people sitting there during day games. So if baseball broadcasters can show empty seats in the sun why should it matter for the Jets?

Also, the western stand is much more likely to join in. The kids always join in when the game is exciting and the chants are loud enough to hear.

lquiquer
11-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Good move I say....and I can still c u from bay 67 and might even join in at times

weston
11-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Think you guys should stay in bay 2 or move to one of the ends behind the goals (in a perfect world of course, i know this has been discussed before). I like seeing the squadron on tv.

In saying that, i'm not in the bunch of poor bastards standing out in the sun. Though i wish i was and may possibly be in about 3 or 4 years time.

hawk
11-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Think you guys should stay in bay 2 or move to one of the ends behind the goals (in a perfect world of course, i know this has been discussed before). I like seeing the squadron on tv.

In saying that, i'm not in the bunch of poor bastards standing out in the sun. Though i wish i was and may possibly be in about 3 or 4 years time.

No behind goals until hill fully seated. youll appreciate 60 when the time comes. not making any promises that it will be better on the support front straight up.

All in all I dont think many people care what the squad does which is good. big picture is results, good crowds and some atmosphere.

la bazzle
11-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Anyone asked griff yet?

Grimario
13-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Dear god, some of the mouthbreathers opinions on FB after the announcement are ridiculous. Can we just relocate them south of pv4 and make them double the coastie crowd numbers?

q-money
13-01-2014, 04:25 PM
best to just stop listening, it's all small picture morons beating themselves into a frenzy

if half the people on there spent more time getting around it rather than telling everyone how much they hate it, you might see a change

absolute windowlickers

Grimario
13-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Agreed. Also, the tone of the announcement really reads as "we are doing all we can to accommodate the RBB" rather than the actual positives that have been listed in here.

militiamon
13-01-2014, 04:43 PM
"Where did all the people who used to sit in The Squadron go?" ask all the people who used to sit in The Squadron.

tbh I think the reaction was actually pretty good. Only people complaining are the ones who were never going to be a part of it anyway, not fussed about their opinions. Reactions from actual bay 2 peeps + general public has been overwhelmingly positive.

furns
13-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Agreed. Also, the tone of the announcement really reads as "we are doing all we can to accommodate the RBB" rather than the actual positives that have been listed in here.Hence why I am currently drafting up a Squadron statement to outline our position in more detail. Will be posted later today

Grimario
13-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Hence why I am currently drafting up a Squadron statement to outline our position in more detail. Will be posted later today

Maybe I should delete the furns = shit thread from the main foz.

:beer::heart::othersmilieswedonthave::gent:

joel31
13-01-2014, 05:44 PM
In the article Robbie Middleby said "This relocation is a trial for what we hope will be the biggest match of the year."
why isn't the F3 derby the biggest game of the year

hawk
13-01-2014, 06:09 PM
I am strongly against having our crowd forced to move from bay 9 to accommodate rbb crims. Disgrace.

Plus do we get secos in between the crowd like happens at Pirtek to stop scum from getting into our crowd.

I'd be happy to hear the real story from management without the "this is no real issue crap".

northern_swan
13-01-2014, 09:44 PM
In the article Robbie Middleby said "This relocation is a trial for what we hope will be the biggest match of the year."
why isn't the F3 derby the biggest game of the year

Because the Gypos have no fans

Blackmac79
13-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Change places!

Jeterpool
14-01-2014, 08:13 AM
I am strongly against having our crowd forced to move from bay 9 to accommodate rbb.

I completely agree with this. If I were a ticket holder in that area I'd be pissed.

furns
14-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Squadron statement regarding the relocation
http://www.newcastlefootball.net/home/2014/01/squadron-relocation/

toad
14-01-2014, 10:09 AM
i haven't read the whole thread but is it going to be possible to get a bay 60 ticket if i do not currently have a bay 2 ticket? (i'm in bay 3 fwiw)

BodyNovo
14-01-2014, 10:12 AM
i haven't read the whole thread but is it going to be possible to get a bay 60 ticket if i do not currently have a bay 2 ticket? (i'm in bay 3 fwiw)

easy done, on gameday you can goto the ticket office and change your matchday ticket to bay 60, you maybe able to call the club prior and change it as well.

because you have a reserved ticket already it should not cost any extra $$

toad
14-01-2014, 10:14 AM
cool thanks

howardyou
14-01-2014, 12:36 PM
I'm in Bay 55 and the only two negatives would be the Western Stand not being able to see the Squadron as well and also not being visible to the TV cameras. I realise that others have also noted the camera and TV issue stating that this is not the main purpose, however when the rest of the country watches our home games and they see the squadron which gives it a presence in the conscience of the Australian Football Community.

I enjoy watching the squadron's chants and dancing around and the sound comes directly across to us. Will this be lost now? Who knows - but the trial will be interesting.

I feel it could be a good move and keeping out of the sun is a massive plus as previously stated by others. As a former member of the Rowdies as a youngster I understand what it is all about. I think you guys should look at other ways of recruitment and this may help. There is a massive youth football community in Newcastle and there is no reason for the hardcore football 16-25 age group not to be singing with the squadron. How do you open it up to these guys? I'm not sure, but engaging them on Facebook would be the first place I'd start. Enticements might work - everybody loves free stuff! Can the club help out with this?

stormypete
14-01-2014, 01:24 PM
OK .. here's my take.

I have a family membership in Bay 58 (have had it there for the last few years). I used to buy tickets in Bay 3 because it was near (but not in) the squadron but baking in an oven became unbearable .. hence our move to Bay 58. From my perspective, I think it would be fantastic to have the squadron in Bay 60. Over the years as I've looked across it seems that the squadron numbers are less than they used to be (not sure if that's a fact .. just looks that way). I miss that atmosphere from having active support nearby and would welcome this move.

And Jeterpool .. I think I've worked out who you are?? I 'm the crusty old die-hard who sits 2 rows behind you.

joel31
14-01-2014, 02:32 PM
OK .. here's my take.

I have a family membership in Bay 58 (have had it there for the last few years). I used to buy tickets in Bay 3 because it was near (but not in) the squadron but baking in an oven became unbearable .. hence our move to Bay 58. From my perspective, I think it would be fantastic to have the squadron in Bay 60. Over the years as I've looked across it seems that the squadron numbers are less than they used to be (not sure if that's a fact .. just looks that way). I miss that atmosphere from having active support nearby and would welcome this move.

And Jeterpool .. I think I've worked out who you are?? I 'm the crusty old die-hard who sits 2 rows behind you.
Your right about it getting smaller. It only fills a quarter or less of bay 2 usually

sammydog
14-01-2014, 06:16 PM
I'm in Bay 55 and the only two negatives would be the Western Stand not being able to see the Squadron as well and also not being visible to the TV cameras. I realise that others have also noted the camera and TV issue stating that this is not the main purpose, however when the rest of the country watches our home games and they see the squadron which gives it a presence in the conscience of the Australian Football Community.

I sit in Bay 55 and made a point of looking across at Bay 60. As its on the corner it sits out a bit further from the western stand, so while you can't see it as well as when the squadron is in the Eastern side, it is still definitely visible from the west.

How it goes for the upper tier though, I have no idea.

lquiquer
14-01-2014, 06:23 PM
How it goes for the upper tier though, I have no idea.

From bay 67 at upper tier we can c all the right part of bay 60 where I assume squadron will occupy to be facing the game

Superdylan
14-01-2014, 06:36 PM
I hope all of bay 60 will be made general admission for this game no added costs at all. Looking very forward to this move.

Our home numbers in the squadron against western Sydney at home have been appalling both times. Seriously this is a game where we should be filling up 2 bays chanting all game. This is a game we need all partime guys back in the bay.

What has to be done is a division between family friendly fans, teenagers & adult fans to get bay 60 rocking for this game.

I want to see beer showers, flags waving all game etc

lquiquer
18-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Should Squadron relocate there?

joel31
18-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Should Squadron relocate there?

we have to score and win first

lquiquer
18-01-2014, 10:54 PM
we have to score and win first

Just score in the 79th minute without conceding

hawk
19-01-2014, 09:19 AM
If griffo scores or theres more than 20 peeps in the bay it was meant to be

sanchez
20-01-2014, 07:36 PM
I get your point sanch, but after walking out, they then turn around for obligatory photos etc etc
"Lack of people" could very well be. A result of the location as much as anything. The new western stand has attracted much of the crowd to get out of the sun. Lots of people I speak to who like me haven't been around much list "the ****ing sun" as one key reason for not being in the bays as often, or for as long.

The sun, really?? Is that what we've become?? I suppose, it would be un-Australian not to whinge about the weather, but deadset, the sun should be far down the list of concerns. It isn't what has driven support away...hell, when support was it it's peak we were having mostly afternoon games with half a western stand not even offering a sliver of shade.

The problem is one that has slowly evolved, or should I say not evolved. As the original core group of supporters have aged, etc I still can't figure out whether its a case of the older generation not communicating well with the ones coming through and "passing the reigns on" efficiently, or the fact that there's less numbers in the younger generation altogether who actually give a shit....maybe they were too young to value what we lost (Breakers, New Utd), before we got it back again and supported it tirelessly in the hope we would never lose it again?

Regardless of how it's become what it has, the simple fact of what I'm saying is it has nothing to do with what Bay we're in...as we've seen some pretty darn good times in Bay 1/2. It all comes down to bridging that ever-widening gap between old and new. How we do that, I don't know...but the first step is identifying the real issue, which as I said - isn't where the squadron fetchin' sits.

GazFish35
20-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Fair points.

Hard to pass on what we had/have when very few of those who were there still come.
Need to get some of the old regulars back so we have something to pass on to the next gen.

hawk
20-01-2014, 09:42 PM
The problem is one that has slowly evolved, or should I say not evolved. As the original core group of supporters have aged, etc I still can't figure out whether its a case of the older generation not communicating well with the ones coming through and "passing the reigns on" efficiently, or the fact that there's less numbers in the younger generation altogether who actually give a shit....maybe they were too young to value what we lost (Breakers, New Utd), before we got it back again and supported it tirelessly in the hope we would never lose it again?.
maybe
A few pts
younguns dont seem to be committed in large numbers - yep gone soft
The days of not having a side is too long ago - maybe
The initial eurphoria is well and truly finished - yep
The sun is too hot for us pensioners, dont know about the the undrs 25's but does reduce numbers
results are pretty sh1t so many peeps get a life doing other stuff - pea hearts

biggest factor! many of bay 2 peeps resent not being 'allowed' to chant what & when they want, 'cant tell me what to do im a hero' etc or 'why cant i do my hutcho is and fvcking cvnt & his mum roots baby kittens chant? (could just make abanner) so they leave. Up until season 5ish most followed regardless.

generally, got me fked why people who arent in or rarely go to bay 2 care tbh. i dont really give a toss where i stand, names on chairs? just get together, follow the capo make some noise. i know some chants are lame but just go with it. And if you want to introduce something go to tenz pregame and pitch it.

apart from that fiik

sanchez
20-01-2014, 10:01 PM
I know this sounds a little like back pedaling, but consider it just giving it more thought...

I suppose in seasons gone by, Bay 1 and 2 was the only spot to really house us. Hence it was a hoot. Now with the Western Stand syphoning some fans I guess it makes sense to relocate and hopefully win a few back. One question that has to be asked is whether or not those active supporters that won't move will be compensated by the new ones you hope to attract or have re-join? I guess it comes down to one thing...are you gamblers? The poll suggests the majority are.

In saying all of this, when times were tough (even before Gary's return and before our 08' g/f win) I remember Bay 1 and 2 being as thin as it is now. It's always been up and down, and right now it is in a real down...arguably the lowest. But do we ride it out and keep our traditional home of active support (where we have so many fond memories) or do we bow to the ever-present idea of change and take a punt to build something new, or even better, re-ignite the flame of the past?

All points to consider. My only fear is a lot of voters have rushed at the idea placing faith in the idea of an exciting new fix, while not maybe using as much perspective as they should.

Devil's advocate I know...but I just want people to think about as much of what they might be losing as well as what they could gain...as I said, this issue is only a very small one in the scheme of our waivering active support.

Love Sanch, you c*nts.

sanchez
20-01-2014, 10:45 PM
maybe
A few pts
younguns dont seem to be committed in large numbers - yep gone soft
The days of not having a side is too long ago - maybe
The initial eurphoria is well and truly finished - yep
The sun is too hot for us pensioners, dont know about the the undrs 25's but does reduce numbers
results are pretty sh1t so many peeps get a life doing other stuff - pea hearts

biggest factor! many of bay 2 peeps resent not being 'allowed' to chant what & when they want, 'cant tell me what to do im a hero' etc or 'why cant i do my hutcho is and fvcking cvnt & his mum roots baby kittens chant? (could just make abanner) so they leave. Up until season 5ish most followed regardless.

generally, got me fked why people who arent in or rarely go to bay 2 care tbh. i dont really give a toss where i stand, names on chairs? just get together, follow the capo make some noise. i know some chants are lame but just go with it. And if you want to introduce something go to tenz pregame and pitch it.

apart from that fiik

All good points. I am definitely one of those people that has just "turned up" for maybe 2 seasons now...my singing has become less and less.

I won't come up with a host of excuses, but I'll offer some justification - As Butch once said to me in V2 after a humiliating home loss where I said I'm not supporting the c*nts anymore..."through thick and thin mate".

That season I kept turning up, kept singing and we almost made the g/f...a season later I kept doing it and we won the g/f through a magnificent Griff goal. Ever since I've always reminded myself of that after every loss...it's somewhat been my motto and I also used it through a few Azzurri finals upsets until we finally won the big one.
Flick forward some years and I suppose it ventured to a point where it got so "thin", I didn't enjoy the football anymore...I didn't enjoy the jets, but still paid my membership and went to games just so I was still somewhat sticking through the "thin" and doing my bit as I saw it.

You can say that what I did was "only singing when winning". I disagree, I haven't really sung when winning either. I have just found it downright difficult to lend my voice to support what I believe has been a poorly performing club as a whole...players, coaches, administration...I hated them all (most anyway), but I loved my memories of the jets which kept me blindly turning up. If people weren't going to sing "We want Gary out" when I tried to get it going or let the club know their dissatisfaction via banners and songs, I wasn't going to partake in the fairy-tale, politically correct dribble that has resulted in GVE hanging around as long as he has. Yes, I am partially blaming the fans for not letting the club know sooner. We are, afterall "the voice".

I'm not saying the way I supported was neccessarily the right way, but I can say I have supported the team since V1 and while countless people have put in much more time and effort than me (I honestly don't know how you do it, Timmy_v, Furns, Garyfish etc etc) the fact of the matter is my situation represents that of many a fan that isn't well known about, let alone discussed.

With the return of Griff and the sacking of GVE you see old faces returning. This speaks for itself, in that there was/is an underlying issue much greater than pretty much all the reasoning thus far has produced for a crumbling support. They/I am a type of people who saw the irony in singing for a club full of players and staff who played and acted like they didn't give a shit, yet we were looked upon as the one not giving a shit when we didn't sing??

With Griff returning, I see a player who has played with heart for the club and loves the town. I believe he can restore something emotional in the players and club...the only player I can honestly say we have at the moment that actively shows the same sentiment is Reegz. I also see the sacking of GVE as not only key to moving toward getting us back on a professional platform comparable to other clubs, but as almost a radical removal of a fatal cancer from football in the region as a whole.

While I'm still skeptical about what decisions the club makes from here to steer things in the right direction (i.e. they need to get rid of GVE altogether, tell Bridges to hang up his boots and do their best to keep Griff)...I have seen enough in under 2 weeks to show me we're not neccessarily in the "thick" times, but the "thin" seems to be gaining a little weight and I don't hate football now when it comes to the Jets.

I know I'm not offering solutions to supporter issues, particularly the value of active support relocation...but I think it's offering an explanation of at least one reason why things have reached this point and it's not relative to our geographical position in the stadium.

hawk
20-01-2014, 11:07 PM
If people weren't going to sing "We want Gary out" when I tried to get it going or let the club know their dissatisfaction via banners and songs, I wasn't going to partake in the fairy-tale, politically correct dribble that has resulted in GVE hanging around as long as he has. Yes, I am partially blaming the fans for not letting the club know sooner. We are, afterall "the voice".
oh no, elephant in the room point.
i think the contemporary active support is less about the controversial issues and more about general support regardless of situation. This came from the never ending bad raps from other jets supporters, media and Jets hierarchy that bay2 received for language, and anti estsbalishment chants when things were bad. To keep the harmony things tamed a little and bay1 took over this for a while until it basically disappeared.

can we get back talking bout c**ts & f**ks again

sanchez
20-01-2014, 11:18 PM
oh no, elephant in the room point.
i think the contemporary active support is less about the controversial issues and more about general support regardless of situation. This came from the never ending bad raps from other jets supporters, media and Jets hierarchy that bay2 received for language, and anti estsbalishment chants when things were bad. To keep the harmony things tamed a little and bay1 took over this for a while until it basically disappeared.

can we get back talking bout c**ts & f**ks again

That is the problem. Everyone seems to think chanting and singing no matter what the situation will solve the problem, somehow.

The same people that look to Euro support themes and songs/chants for inspiration, conveniently ignore the effective messages these same supporters send their clubs in the rough times through protests and active "support" displays. And no, I'm not suggesting violent and/or flare protests...

I'm not going to sit idle, and even worse pretend I support, the ridiculous going-ons at a club. I will voice my support if the club, manager, players etc are doing the right thing, despite the result. But I will also voice my disapproval, again regardless of the result, if the club or people within it are effectively damaging the game as a whole within the region...which I saw as being the case under GVE and with some of the bizarre decisions of the Jets administration over the last 2 years.

sanchez
20-01-2014, 11:20 PM
p.s. c*nt, f*ck, shit

Premy
20-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Holly $#it Sanch speaks some sense. I thought you were here just for the piss take and to spread Griffolgy. Anyway that said continue with the relocation talk

sanchez
20-01-2014, 11:36 PM
I'm here for the Griff first and foremost...I devout myself to the Griffology faith and Griff uses my body as a vessel for delivering his words.

As such, no one can argue with me. Ever.

Superdylan
20-01-2014, 11:49 PM
Not sure if this is active support feedback thread or squadron relocation thread :confused:

GazFish35
20-01-2014, 11:55 PM
I'm not saying the way I supported was neccessarily the right way, but I can say I have supported the team since V1 and while countless people have put in much more time and effort than me (I honestly don't know how you do it, Timmy_v, Furns, Garyfish etc etc) the fact of the matter is my situation represents that of many a fan that isn't well known about, let alone discussed.

Turn up, make noise, (any noise) and you're doing it right I reckon.
And I've done sweet fa for afew years tbh.

Many of the old regulars have drifted away, myself included, for a whole host of reasons, many of the things you speak of I feel too sanch, ad the that the fact that we were all 18ish to 25ish back when it started, now many have kids and real jobs etc etc making it harder to be so committed to something which as you pointed out never really seemed to give back (it was getting hard to enjoy watch 11 blokes care less about the result than we did)

Hopefully with the change of boss, the return of the great one and a bit of mongrel on the park we might see things change in the stadium.

I think things have been passed (or are being passed) over well behind the scenes, the tifo crew has changed considerably and the open day held last week might help that further, a new capo and someone giving Furns' sticks a break might help those who have drifted away see that things have changed or are at least changing.... A move to 60 might make it clearer. Who knows? Its a gamble for sure.

And you couldn't be more right about one thing we need to get our voice back..... But with GVE sacked and griffo back, what can ark up about?

selassie
21-01-2014, 11:27 AM
That is the problem. Everyone seems to think chanting and singing no matter what the situation will solve the problem, somehow.
I'm not going to sit idle, and even worse pretend I support, the ridiculous going-ons at a club. I will voice my support if the club, manager, players etc are doing the right thing, despite the result. But I will also voice my disapproval, again regardless of the result, if the club or people within it are effectively damaging the game as a whole within the region...which I saw as being the case under GVE and with some of the bizarre decisions of the Jets administration over the last 2 years.
But you are assuming that voicing your displeasure will solve the problem. I don’t believe there is a way to guarantee for the problem to be solved, if we can all agree that it is a problem in the first place.

IMO the 90 minutes is for supporting the team, I always clap the team after a game regardless of the result. If I want to voice my displeasure, I will do say in other channels (email, foz). Personally, I rarely publicly criticise footballing matters as I am not funding the club and there is a salary cap in this league. My criticisms are usually levelled at commercial and managerial matters.

Premy
29-01-2014, 06:43 AM
How would one go about getting into bay 60 this weekend with a GA membership?

Superdylan
29-01-2014, 07:35 AM

Not sure.....your one of the Newcastle lunatics correct?

Really excited for this change, have sat kind of in that area for a couple football games over the years.

BodyNovo
29-01-2014, 07:39 AM

you can either call the club or on matchday goto the ticket office and request to change your membership.

they will make you pay the difference though on a reserved ticket thought, so it might be $5.

hausmann
29-01-2014, 02:09 PM
hawk and I were talking about this in Gosford.

The advice I can only really offer is this: go where the energy is.

At the Gosford Hotel, you had those Garden Suburb guys chanting up a storm, leading chant after chant, some really quite funny, but they apparently don't join in during the game.

Back when I was administering the Squadron, I would have ran straight up to them and got them to contribute as much as they were willing to. Let them have the megaphone for half a game, or let them start chants and have the capo alert to it and look to join in. I always did this when I saw someone in the area who did something interesting.

Also Sanchez was trying to start a few chants at the ground and the capo wouldn't take it up.

This is where I think things have gone wrong. We have a capo that may not reflect the mood or energy or fun, or the "message" people in the Squadron want to communicate. Even if the leadership group prefers the Euro support, you should give these guys a run because if people in the bay don't like Euro support, then they are just going through the motions, not getting really into it. Mix it up and see what happens.

I suggest you look at the role of capo more as a facilitator than a leader. If things are quiet, then the capo will take a leadership role to get things happening but if there is an energy inside the bay where people are starting stuff up, then the capo should encourage it, because people will have more fun that way. Some of the best times I had in the bay was singing "rockin all over the world" and stuff like that that came from within the bay, not from the capo.

northern_swan
29-01-2014, 04:10 PM
hawk and I were talking about this in Gosford.

The advice I can only really offer is this: go where the energy is.

At the Gosford Hotel, you had those Garden Suburb guys chanting up a storm, leading chant after chant, some really quite funny, but they apparently don't join in during the game.

Back when I was administering the Squadron, I would have ran straight up to them and got them to contribute as much as they were willing to. Let them have the megaphone for half a game, or let them start chants and have the capo alert to it and look to join in. I always did this when I saw someone in the area who did something interesting.

Also Sanchez was trying to start a few chants at the ground and the capo wouldn't take it up.

This is where I think things have gone wrong. We have a capo that may not reflect the mood or energy or fun, or the "message" people in the Squadron want to communicate. Even if the leadership group prefers the Euro support, you should give these guys a run because if people in the bay don't like Euro support, then they are just going through the motions, not getting really into it. Mix it up and see what happens.

I suggest you look at the role of capo more as a facilitator than a leader. If things are quiet, then the capo will take a leadership role to get things happening but if there is an energy inside the bay where people are starting stuff up, then the capo should encourage it, because people will have more fun that way. Some of the best times I had in the bay was singing "rockin all over the world" and stuff like that that came from within the bay, not from the capo.

Most sensible thing I've read on the topic

Blackmac79
29-01-2014, 04:15 PM
I agree with what you are saying, also think we have tried pretty hard to reduce the use of the mega at more recent games.

Derby was hard as little noise was reaching the front from the back.

Premy
29-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Not sure.....your one of the Newcastle lunatics correct?

Really excited for this change, have sat kind of in that area for a couple football games over the years.
Sure am mate I'm going to try to convince the lads to head over to bay 60 for this game. Couple of the lads have tall poppy syndrome and love to criticize from the outside, if anything I can say I at least tried.

However

you can either call the club or on matchday goto the ticket office and request to change your membership.

they will make you pay the difference though on a reserved ticket thought, so it might be $5.
getting them to reach into their own pocket for something they may not be interested in doing is going to be hurdle.
Has there been any discussion with the club about letting GA members in Bay 60 for this trial without the extra charge? Body, Blackmac, Furns???

Premy
29-01-2014, 06:11 PM
We tried to join in and I think we done the best we could for not knowing all tge songs, couple of things but.
1-As I said in the last comment a few of the lads have tall poppy syndrome and are more happy to point and laugh at the Squadron rather than get involved and help create the atmosphere.
2-When the boys did try to start a chant they got overruled by the megas which in general helps make point 1 bigger.
3-Back at Gosford Hotel we tried to get everyone outside involved in our songs only to have most turn their nose up at us giving the impression their better than us, which only goes to make point 1 bigger.

hausmann
29-01-2014, 06:26 PM
We tried to join in and I think we done the best we could for not knowing all tge songs, couple of things but.
1-As I said in the last comment a few of the lads have tall poppy syndrome and are more happy to point and laugh at the Squadron rather than get involved and help create the atmosphere.
2-When the boys did try to start a chant they got overruled by the megas which in general helps make point 1 bigger.
3-Back at Gosford Hotel we tried to get everyone outside involved in our songs only to have most turn their nose up at us giving the impression their better than us, which only goes to make point 1 bigger.

Awesome Premy. I didn't know you were part of that group. Really well done. I was really impressed and the atmosphere at the pub was so great because of what you guys did.

See, this stuff should never happen. Nobody should turn their noses up at guys who can sing for two straight hours in a pub, getting people to join in. You all produce a great amount of sound and would be a great asset to any supporters group.

In season 1, I spotted Argy throwing a small bit of confetti one game when we were still on the hill and I went straight up to him and asked him to help others do what he does. Then by Season Two we were going to the ground together and set up all those material streamers, hours before anyone else got there. He made such a great contribution to support in the early years and it may not have happened if I wasn't on the lookout for people who could contribute something.

Blackmac79
29-01-2014, 06:34 PM
1-As I said in the last comment a few of the lads have tall poppy syndrome and are more happy to point and laugh at the Squadron rather than get involved and help create the atmosphere. Took Notice and appreciated this.
2-When the boys did try to start a chant they got overruled by the megas which in general helps make point 1 bigger. apologies. As i stated above it was really hard to hear what was coming from the back. Appreciated though. Just keep going louder eventually we will hear
3-Back at Gosford Hotel we tried to get everyone outside involved in our songs only to have most turn their nose up at us giving the impression their better than us, which only goes to make point 1 bigger.apologies on this however the guys outside were doing their own bit, and I suppose in the same way no-one tried to control the songs at the pub with you guys, we were not trying to control those outside either.

I can't answer your question about the bay60 tickets. That is one for furns.

Interested to know where all the squadron hate comes from. We have tried pretty hard this season to be open. Anyone can sign up as a member and have their say. The new committee is pretty open to discussion and for people to come and see them. It is no secret who is who most of the time (as there was an article on the front page of this site with all our names and forum names etc.) and we have had open tifo days, put buses on, been transparent as possible, even tried to engage more of the crowd through a call and response chant which has been pretty hit and miss, and yet there still seems to be a fair amount of anti-squadron sentiment around.

I know we have actively tried to discourage some things (Celery chant for example, its rubbish), but on the whole we have been pretty open to different styles of support and working with anyone that is willing to lend a hand and keen to get involved. This is true even as recently as Coast away where a guy who made a standard and put in 90minutes of effort was singled out as someone worth congratulating for their effort by the committee.

I suppose I ask out of personal interest, I just don't get it. How can people hate the group that is creating an atmosphere that I think the majority of the crowd enjoy and appreciate? If the squadron were not there I don't think the atmosphere on game day would be the same? nor do I think as many people would enjoy themselves at the games? or am I thinking too highly of active supporters?

I do have a certain tint of glasses on.

hausmann
29-01-2014, 06:53 PM
I suppose I ask out of personal interest, I just don't get it. How can people hate the group that is creating an atmosphere that I think the majority of the crowd enjoy and appreciate? If the squadron were not there I don't think the atmosphere on game day would be the same? nor do I think as many people would enjoy themselves at the games? or am I thinking too highly of active supporters?

My observation on this is that the negative opinions come out more when the supporters group is weak in numbers. In season 1 there was similar vitriol directed at it by people saying we were embarrassing. The comments disappeared when the numbers exploded.

I think its a kind of "attack the runt" mentality where something perceived as weak is attacked.

But the numbers are affected by how exciting the team is on the pitch so there is not a lot of control you have in it.

Blackmac, my question is whether or not you actively approach people that you see doing something good and encourage them to do more? Someone who shows some passion is probably going to be in for a bit more involvement. Someone who makes good standards might be willing to make a few more and give them to people to display during the game. I was crap at making standards but i loved holding up Chooky's Southpark designs.

I don't think its good enough to say you are available or approachable. I think you guys are the ones that have to do the approaching as people aren't going to become more involved unless they are approached in a friendly way and asked. A loud group of singers can be encouraged to lead the chanting, and inject their own chants, someone who throws confetti can bring enough for a group of people, someone who makes standards can bring a number of them and hand them out. Not all people want to be involved in a committee or in organising things but they can expand what they do to bring others in without much trouble.

Blackmac79
29-01-2014, 06:58 PM
The lad I spoke of in my comment at coast away was approached and is becoming more and more involved each day. I agree that approaching people who put in the effort is important to growing the numbers of the core group and getting fresh faces and ideas involved.

Superdylan
29-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Some great points haussmam. I do think abit of fun needs to come back in the bay. I brought 8 red and blue streamers on Saturday for the derby.

Me and my family before I was in the squadron starting bringing streamers and confetti for bay 3. I was even bringing confetti at later parts of season 4. Sure it makes abit of a mess but the vacuums they have are pretty good aren't they?

Agree some people are not willing to be apart of small numbers, maybe it's a mentality thing, personality or trying to not be seen on tv but I've been apart of the squadron/active support when there's only a couple people singing on some away games.

Sam
29-01-2014, 07:27 PM
I'm still new, I decided to join/help out when their numbers dwindled. I havent really been approached (I think theyre scared of girls!) I've had to introduce myself to people, often to be dismissed or forgotten the next week. Ive made the effort myself to make friends and its slowly getting there. Slowly.
FYI my first time I squadron was THAT Wanderers game!
From the outsode looking in, alot of people just see squadron as a bunch of drunks that start fights within themselves. I still get told to get out if it! Having met most of the comittee I can see that they love thier team and have a passion for telling them so for 90mins.

Premy
29-01-2014, 07:41 PM
I Agree with you blackmac and I commend the job you lads do, I would love for my mates to give you guy's a chance.
I also don't understand where the hatred comes from but I put it down as it's easier to criticize you and make fun of you rather than, trying to help and being laughed at themselves.
The solution I don't know? I've decided that when ever I hear one of my mates put you lot down in future, I'm going to ask them what they're doing to help the situation. Will this help? Probably not... At the the end of the day one of the big reasons I go to the football is to catch up with my mates so I'm going to be a sheep and follow the heard.

Beeen
29-01-2014, 08:15 PM
I Agree with you blackmac and I commend the job you lads do, I would love for my mates to give you guy's a chance.
I also don't understand where the hatred comes from but I put it down as it's easier to criticize you and make fun of you rather than, trying to help and being laughed at themselves.
The solution I don't know? I've decided that when ever I hear one of my mates put you lot down in future, I'm going to ask them what they're doing to help the situation. Will this help? Probably not... At the the end of the day one of the big reasons I go to the football is to catch up with my mates so I'm going to be a sheep and follow the heard.

The Jolly Roger & I will come over to Bay 60.

MFKS
29-01-2014, 08:28 PM
I can't answer your question about the bay60 tickets. That is one for furns.

Interested to know where all the squadron hate comes from. We have tried pretty hard this season to be open. Anyone can sign up as a member and have their say. The new committee is pretty open to discussion and for people to come and see them. It is no secret who is who most of the time (as there was an article on the front page of this site with all our names and forum names etc.) and we have had open tifo days, put buses on, been transparent as possible, even tried to engage more of the crowd through a call and response chant which has been pretty hit and miss, and yet there still seems to be a fair amount of anti-squadron sentiment around.

I know we have actively tried to discourage some things (Celery chant for example, its rubbish), but on the whole we have been pretty open to different styles of support and working with anyone that is willing to lend a hand and keen to get involved. This is true even as recently as Coast away where a guy who made a standard and put in 90minutes of effort was singled out as someone worth congratulating for their effort by the committee.

I do have a certain tint of glasses on.

Umm have you actually considered actually throwing out the Membership thing to being a NEWCASTLE JETS OFFICIAL SUPPORTERS CLUB and get some backing from the Club to do this rather than just say a SQUADRON membership??

I feel that making it a Jets Fans Club as such would open more doors to getting more members involved in your activities rather than the current situation where it would be viewed as "Squadron only"

Increasing your Membership from the usual riff raff in Bay 2 and a few token sympathisers to your cause from elsewhere in the ground to a wide diversity of ages and people would allow the Open message you are trying top get across much better.

Seriously how many of our 11k of Members know about the buses to Gosford??? I would assume less than 10% of them tops would have been aware. Get another couple of thousand members from our supporter base involved in your activities seems like a logical answer to some of your issues

Sam
29-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Umm have you actually considered actually throwing out the Membership thing to being a NEWCASTLE JETS OFFICIAL SUPPORTERS CLUB and get some backing from the Club to do this rather than just say a SQUADRON membership??

I feel that making it a Jets Fans Club as such would open more doors to getting more members involved in your activities rather than the current situation where it would be viewed as "Squadron only"

Increasing your Membership from the usual riff raff in Bay 2 and a few token sympathisers to your cause from elsewhere in the ground to a wide diversity of ages and people would allow the Open message you are trying top get across much better.

Seriously how many of our 11k of Members know about the buses to Gosford??? I would assume less than 10% of them tops would have been aware. Get another couple of thousand members from our supporter base involved in your activities seems like a logical answer to some of your issues

Actually this isnt a bad idea... would certainly make people feel more welcome and wanted.

GazFish35
29-01-2014, 09:13 PM
I think one of the squadrons strengths is it's independence from the club, lose it and we start being told what to sing..... Like songs with sponsors names in it.

The teams been shit for 6 years, when we finally get a decent onfield season things will pick up.
As an organised Independent groups of supporters we need to hold the club to account for onfield and offield issues that hinder growth of the club (the club, not our group) and doing that at arms length is important.

Sam
29-01-2014, 09:17 PM
I think one of the squadrons strengths is it's independence from the club, lose it and we start being told what to sing..... Like songs with sponsors names in it.

The teams been shit for 6 years, when we finally get a decent onfield season things will pick up.
As an organised Independent groups of supporters we need to hold the club to account for onfield and offield issues that hinder growth of the club (the club, not our group) and doing that at arms length is important.

Hahaha sha la lalalalala, heeeeyy Westrac!

MFKS
29-01-2014, 09:37 PM

No reason why both couldn't be done though

Squadron to maintain arms length from club holding the Club to Account
Official Supporters Club could be used to spruik various aspects of Squadron activities when required!!! to the masses

Probably also get a few involved in both and would be cross over benefits

militiamon
29-01-2014, 10:39 PM

This basically sums everything in this thread up.

Don't get me wrong, the discussion is great, and I've definitely agreed with the points made by haus and Premy, but at the end of the day there's only so much we can do.
I honestly think that when it comes to numbers, our actions probably only influence about 10% of the final figure, with the on-field results making up the other 90%. The way in which we support the team (chants, banners, tifo etc.) is something we have much more control over.

A couple of further points:

- The guys who were in the courtyard at the pub were nearly all NCL members (a.k.a not Squadron these days). That's another issue entirely.
- I can say that Blackmac is definitely one of the more proactive members w.r.t the recruiting you are talking about haus. timmy has also been good with this in the past, he's the reason why I got into bay 2 in the first place.
- I for one definitely appreciated the banter from your group Premy. It looks like going mega-less may be the way to go for the next Coast game.

Superdylan
29-01-2014, 11:54 PM
I've tried to make sure people in the bay are more comfortable abit this season aswell especially some of the younger supporters this includes boys & girls 13-17 year olds mainly. Youth are the key they are more likely to get amongst it then people in their 30's plus as they have been brought up supporting in a different way at sports which can be quite hard to change.

Just a quick 5 minute chat about how you are enjoying youself in the bay that type of thing can go along way from making someone a part-timer to a full-timer.

Superdylan
29-01-2014, 11:57 PM
All socialising should be put on hold when its gameday, support the boys, go hard or go home

Bring on saturday!

plague
30-01-2014, 09:52 AM

Gospel.
The fact that you lot have the energy to put in any effort to support the steaming pile of turd we have been dished up for the past few years has my upmost respect.
You all are much better fans that I.

BodyNovo
30-01-2014, 10:04 AM
gaz speaks the truth

another reason imo is that our core has dwindled over the years as well. there are many reasons why it hasn't stayed the same/grown, and i think this season we are starting to get back on top of it.

this season i see as a really important rebuilding one that will define whether "the squadron" succeeds or not and this bay 60 move is a big factor in that rebuild. hopefully by the end of the season our core will be bigger and we will be able to start focusing on doing the things we have been good since the beginning (long before i got involved) which is; tifo, flags, banners, and merchandise.

i think we have restored the fun factor over the last couple of weeks as well, while coast away (in game) was a bit of a blip (not allowing for sporadic chanting, over use of mega, result poor).

so i will say the following and this will come across as a plead for help...but we need everyone to be in bay 60 this weekend who is willing.

bring color, bring noise and lets enjoy it. hopefully it will be the refresh we need!

pv4
30-01-2014, 10:10 AM
I've tried to make sure people in the bay are more comfortable abit this season aswell especially some of the younger supporters this includes boys & girls 13-17 year olds mainly. Youth are the key they are more likely to get amongst it then people in their 30's plus as they have been brought up supporting in a different way at sports which can be quite hard to change.

Just a quick 5 minute chat about how you are enjoying youself in the bay that type of thing can go along way from making someone a part-timer to a full-timer.

All socialising should be put on hold when its gameday, support the boys, go hard or go home

Bring on saturday!

SD did you just say you've been having chats with youngens and it's good and stuff, and then instantly put a ban on socializing?

hausmann
30-01-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm still new, I decided to join/help out when their numbers dwindled. I havent really been approached (I think theyre scared of girls!) I've had to introduce myself to people, often to be dismissed or forgotten the next week. Ive made the effort myself to make friends and its slowly getting there. Slowly.
FYI my first time I squadron was THAT Wanderers game!
From the outsode looking in, alot of people just see squadron as a bunch of drunks that start fights within themselves. I still get told to get out if it! Having met most of the comittee I can see that they love thier team and have a passion for telling them so for 90mins.

Welcome aboard Sam. Yes, they probably are scared of girls.

Superdylan
30-01-2014, 10:37 AM
SD did you just say you've been having chats with youngens and it's good and stuff, and then instantly put a ban on socializing?

At half time mate. Nothing too serious of a conversation but some of these younger guys don't know everyone in bay 2. This is something I kind of struggled with when I first joined the squadron proper in season 5 maybe I wasn't as outgoing/comfortable in there.

I try and limit socializing in game time.

MFKS
30-01-2014, 10:48 AM
At half time mate. Nothing too serious of a conversation but some of these younger guys don't know everyone in bay 2. This is something I kind of struggled with when I first joined the squadron proper in season 5 maybe I wasn't as outgoing/comfortable in there.

I try and limit socializing in game time.

Yeah but you do more than enough socialising the rest of the time

Superdylan
30-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Correct MFKS. Should always be 3 hours at least pre game, a couple hours post game for these Saturday night fixtures.

Then the squadron and the 90 limits all friendships put aside to get the boys home. I really do not care where I stand in the bay but prefer to be near bodi on mega. Have a core near the mega and the chants will work better.

hausmann
30-01-2014, 11:04 AM
What I don't get is why the slobs option in this poll needs to be further clarified.

If people want to vote slobs, then they should be able to vote slobs.

Jeterpool
30-01-2014, 11:13 AM
I might pop over and say hi to some of you guys this weekend now you're in Bay 60. I'm in 58.

I'll make sure it's at halftime however! :lulz:

furns
30-01-2014, 12:44 PM
No reason why both couldn't be done though

Squadron to maintain arms length from club holding the Club to Account
Official Supporters Club could be used to spruik various aspects of Squadron activities when required!!! to the masses

Probably also get a few involved in both and would be cross over benefits
We have a very good relationship with the Club currently and they are the ones who promote our coach service (tifo day, etc) to their email list, and via social media to get the word out. I would say a good deal of the supporters know about the service.
We have always been independent from the club, and always will be. If the club begins to contribute money to us, independence becomes compromised and you get into a whole minefield of control from the club when we want to express something the club may not agree with.
However we have already discussed with the club about combining Jets and Squadron memberships.

hausmann
30-01-2014, 01:05 PM
However we have already discussed with the club about combining Jets and Squadron memberships.

Would that comply with the rules of the Association?

Unless the rules have been changed, a current member needs to approve the admittance of a proposed member. This is done for a very good reason - to protect the integrity of the Association and its assets. If anyone can just sign up through a Jets ticket to Bay2/Bay60 you risk admitting people who may not have the best interests of the association at heart.

IMO, I would keep them separate.

furns
30-01-2014, 01:24 PM
very true, hadnt thought about how it would work under the current constitution. It was an idea brought up during one of the meetings with the club, and the active support forum.
it would have to be something to be discussed in committee then via a supporter general meeting.

stretch
02-02-2014, 12:03 AM
Bay 60 was rocking!!! Great success.

Well done Bay 60 + entire Western stand.

sammydog
02-02-2014, 12:08 AM
From Bay 55 in the west. The Squadron looked much better. Weirdly though, it was harder to hear you. Not sure whats going on there. Even the drums were very muffled.

All that aside, I think it is a better option than Bay 2.

joel31
02-02-2014, 12:33 AM
From Bay 55 in the west. The Squadron looked much better. Weirdly though, it was harder to hear you. Not sure whats going on there. Even the drums were very muffled.
My friend who watched on TV commented the same thing

GazFish35
02-02-2014, 12:50 AM
Solid nor-Easter

sammydog
02-02-2014, 12:59 AM
Solid nor-Easter

No, it was similar conditions to other games of late.

Would be really interested to hear if you were louder in the eastern side than usual.

GazFish35
02-02-2014, 01:30 AM
Maybe it's the four bays of people between 55 and 60 rather than clear air?

militiamon
02-02-2014, 01:57 AM
New bay is da bestest. Lets make it permanent.

RE noise, only other consideration is that there's no grandstand backing bay 60.
From inside of bay 60 though there was no question we were loud, probably up there with the loudest we've been all season.

It must be said that the acoustics for the stadium in general are quite terrible, so it shouldn't really come as a surprise. I'm sure the RBB were quite loud at times, but I struggled to hear them at all during the game.

holmesy
02-02-2014, 02:16 AM
Bay 60 must be made permanent.

Solid performance from all. The way the bay is laid out works well as all of us are in closer together, wasn't as spread out as usual. Within bay 60 it sounded like the loudest we have been. View of the match and whole stadium is better imo. Was a nice fresh change tonight and it payed off! Looking forward to more of it.

Superdylan
02-02-2014, 04:10 AM
Yes please stay as bay 60

northern_swan
02-02-2014, 07:34 AM
Didn't hear you where we were in the corner. Not once

Gates to bay 1/2 locked. Lolz at the fella who went and sat in the middle of bay 2 near the end of the game and got removed by seccos.

GazFish35
02-02-2014, 09:08 AM
What corner were you in swan?
Not surprised we wouldn't be heard much, no roof. :lulzturtle:

hawk
02-02-2014, 09:36 AM
prefer bay 2 at night, can stick those touturous hot days though. we coulda' made a go of it jonny...

02-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Normally sit on the concourse at the northern end ( family hill ) but made the effort to get in early and sit at the southern end right next to the Squadron. Last night was one of the more enjoyable times the family and i have had ( bar Ben Williams cheating for his employers to get a result for his employers team ). I noticed two small girls at the front of i think was bay 59 all of 11-12 years old who were rock'n it all night to the squadron. Pretty sure they had a great time and lov'n every minute of it.

Good work.

selassie
02-02-2014, 11:17 AM
last night may have been good but that does not mean we should make it permanent. keen to try it a few more times.

felt a bit like an away game, small bay, everyone crammed in together.

old mate in the green singlet giving it the big one.

Superdylan
02-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Did find it was abit harder to be in the bay....so packed!

Keep

northern_swan
02-02-2014, 12:18 PM
What corner were you in swan?
Not surprised we wouldn't be heard much, no roof. :lulzturtle:

Corner near bay 1

MFKS
02-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Up the top in the Western Stand could actually hear you. Only a couple of times did the RBB drown you out.

Did notice a few in the bay around us getting involved at times which is a positive coz they usually do little.

On another note how was the effects of the sun down there??? Much better than Bay 2???

GazFish35
02-02-2014, 03:42 PM
So much better in 60, felt packed with what was probably only a few hundred....and room to grow.
Better view of field
Closer to players pregame, halftime, bench, warming up etc
Closer to hill (no bay1' terrace, Ambo schute)
If very game is like last night then it's a no brainer...

Need a few more games to see if it was all just novelty, but first up effort was fun again.

On field mongrel helped too.

joel31
02-02-2014, 04:00 PM
I recommend senior squadron members check out how well u can hear it in other parts of the stadium next game as it is a point some people raised and I reckon its a major thing to find out before making move permanent

My2BobsWorth
02-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Western grandstand drowns out the RBB and the Squadron when we get fired up. Don't need people telling us when to shout

The Dunster
02-02-2014, 04:44 PM
From the perspective of Bay three we couldn't hear the squadron at all. The RBB were much louder - that is until the 2nd Newy goal went in and every Jets supporter at the ground went apeshit.

lquiquer
02-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Up the top in the Western Stand could actually hear you. Only a couple of times did the RBB drown you out.

Can confirm that ^

lquiquer
02-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Could not hear u at all last game V WSW when in bay 2 ^. A very positive move IMO.

sammydog
02-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Conversely though, we couldn't hear them in the lower Western when we normally would.

Got to love the shite acoustics in the stadium.

Still think the move was positive though.

GazFish35
02-02-2014, 05:10 PM
We are never going to be heard in all parts of the stadium no matter where we are located, unless numbers grow exponentially, and there's no doubt the RBB with their larger numbers would have dominated noise levels in most parts.

I think the deciding factors of a permanent move being sought should be,

Those is bay 60 - are you likely to return?
Those not in bay 60, are you likely to join us in 60, in 2 or not at all?
Did they players like it?

The honeymoon period of an exciting finishing game, griff returning, and the wanderers bringing decent numbers.... And a Saturday night game shouldn't cloud our judgment.

Trial needs to be extended.

Last night was fun though, I think bay60 is the better option, but we need more experiences in that location.

joel31
02-02-2014, 05:22 PM
I'll join in either, depending on who I go to the game with. When I go with a parent I'm not in squadron but sit near it, if go with a mate I usually am.

MFKS
02-02-2014, 05:27 PM
You blokes actually considered doing some form of march to the ground??

Maybe congregate at the Hockey stadium say 30 mins from Kick Off - Have a sing along fire everyone up and charge into the ground singing and carrying on??

May actually set the mood a bit better and get a few joining your activities

militiamon
02-02-2014, 05:38 PM
MFKS, we have tried doing a march most games this season, including last night. Only 10 - 15 guys actually did it last night, so we've decided it's pointless.

Problem is that either people don't want to leave the Tenzo early (it was still full of Jets fans when we left), or they don't show up to the Tenzo in the first place.

We are never going to be heard in all parts of the stadium no matter where we are located, unless numbers grow exponentially, and there's no doubt the RBB with their larger numbers would have dominated noise levels in most parts.

I think the deciding factors of a permanent move being sought should be,

Those is bay 60 - are you likely to return?
Did they players like it?

The honeymoon period of an exciting finishing game, griff returning, and the wanderers bringing decent numbers.... And a Saturday night game shouldn't cloud our judgment.

Trial needs to be extended.

Last night was fun though, I think bay60 is the better option, but we need more experiences in that location.

Well said.

MFKS
02-02-2014, 06:01 PM
MFKS, we have tried doing a march most games this season, including last night. Only 10 - 15 guys actually did it last night, so we've decided it's pointless.
Problem is that either people don't want to leave the Tenzo early (it was still full of Jets fans when we left), or they don't show up to the Tenzo in the first place..

Maybe look at it as more of a way to engage the rest of the Jets fan base that aren't part of the Squadron and not worry so much about the blokes who like to piss up at the Tenzo

Rock up there hang around and see who joins you/joins in??

Be interesting to see how many kids/youths/ adults may discover their singing voices

There are literally hundreds loitering around outside the ground pre kick off

snake
02-02-2014, 06:06 PM
bay 60 was great. may well make a permanent return.

Mitchy
02-02-2014, 06:36 PM
Tbh I only went to bay 60 to "support the squadron" for this move as I wasn't a fan of the move from day 1

But after last night I'm in

hawk
02-02-2014, 10:42 PM
From the perspective of Bay three we couldn't hear the squadron at all. The RBB were much louder - that is until the 2nd Newy goal went in and every Jets supporter at the ground went apeshit.

And there's the nail Dunst. Why does the rest of the ground expect 1/2 a bay to make all the noise.

BodyNovo
03-02-2014, 08:15 AM
this sunday will be a great test if we can get back there.

- 5pm kickoff; the sun is gone by 6pm as it was on saturday night when we arrived to set up
- lower numbers; can a smaller core still make good noise
- will new people come back; did the new people enjoy themselves enough to return and maybe bring more people with them

i genuinely am excited though :) saturday night was great fun

having the players warm up directly in front of us was awesome as well. good to see bridges laughing at the yaya/kolo chant as well.

hausmann
03-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Well said Gaz.

I unfortunately couldn't make it on the weekend but from prior games WSW do bump up the noise levels dramatically when they come so that game would not be a good test of how well the Squadron can be heard around the stadium.

To me, the important thing will be whether or not the Squadron can get the Western Bay joining in all the common chants - as I've said before, all the kids join in when the decibel level reaches a certain point, and adults join in after that. Bay 2 is a little too far away to directly affect them all the time but I think Bay 60 will get them involved much more often. Definitely extend the trial because I want to be in it this weekend!!

militiamon
05-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Received new membership cards for Bay 60 this morning. Everyone else should get theirs this week as well.

First comment from stretch about the new membership cards - "they're definitely thinner"

ffs :rof:

militiamon
05-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Paging q-man for the comparative macro images

pv4
05-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Paging q-man for the comparative macro images

:rof: ffs that picture and peoples comprehension of it :oops:

militiamon
05-02-2014, 12:58 PM
^ never forget

http://i.imgur.com/VwPhfFc.jpg

edit: for those wanting to relive the original in all its glory

http://www.newcastlefootball.net/forum/showthread.php?712-Jets-Membership-Packs

I am ****ed what are these photos of??? Maybe i am colorblind or something but I have looked at them a heap of times and can't work out WTF they are???

q-money
05-02-2014, 01:20 PM
will get the micrometer out

stretch
05-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Update:

After doing single blind trials, test subject was able to discern between the two cards ~66% of the time.

pv4
05-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Got my replacement card in the mail

Fxxx me it's thin

furns
05-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Jets will release joint presser this arvo regarding confirmation we are remaining in bay 60 for the rest of the season. This is to give us more games to assess the pros and cons of the new area.
We will advise of the deadline where we have to make the decision if the move is permanent for the upcoming seasons and beyond, but please continue to put your feedback in here, the committee is reading whatever is posted.

GazFish35
05-02-2014, 05:43 PM
My sunburn didn't re-surface

My2BobsWorth
05-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Gaz, you and Joel31 were talking about an anti Bridgey banner, do you really think that the Western stand agrees with that. Membership sales next year will show if it's a good move or not

BodyNovo
05-02-2014, 06:12 PM
The foz iq levels continue to outweigh the stupidity post on Facebook.

Squadron to some people are the reason global warming started

My2BobsWorth
05-02-2014, 06:27 PM
Squadron are the fat woman with a gas problem

GazFish35
05-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Gaz, you and Joel31 were talking about an anti Bridgey banner, do you really think that the Western stand agrees with that.

Probably not.
Not sure I get the point of your post.

Superdylan
05-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Takes time to educate people about active support unfortunately. I didn't pick everything up in the squadron overnight. Most of these wingers on the Facebook have probably never stood inside the squadron as they are likely too concentrated on watching the game or only willing to make noise when the boys play well.

Bring on Sunday, we should have decent numbers for an afternoon game being out of the blaring sun.

Grimario
05-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Dead set disc race some of the knobs on Facebook. Almost glad to be in Adelaide and not have to associate with them.

militiamon
05-02-2014, 07:16 PM
They're the same morons who spend their days making the illiterate comments on The Herald website. Little the city can do to rid ourselves of them unfortunately.

Best to just keep doing our shit, the evidence is there for everyone who comes to a game to see (e.g the people criticising numbers when the associated picture with the news clearly shows a full bay 2 + half of bay 1, wd champs).