PDA

View Full Version : Bridges Time to Go

Pages : 1 [2]

joel31
26-03-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm not one of Bridges' fans and I'll be happy to see him retire. I also love the idea about the guys that are leaving/retiring doing a lap at the end of the last home game. Throw their name up on the screen and let everyone give them a clap as they go round. It doesn't matter how shit they were, they wore the shirt and at some point more than likely did something good for us. Bridges has scored some goals and been around the club longer than most of the current crop - for all we know, and I'm just speculating, maybe he's been instrumental in the way Taggz has come on this year? Maybe not, but why are we all so goddamn angry all the time??

We expect the players to be 100% professional, and the club to be 100% professional, and both of them to do everything right, yet we can act like 10yr olds? Show a bit of respect and gratitude to players and it will come back. I agree with plague (i think it was you?), the club need to start acknowledging players - long serving or not. You can't just say 'oh well they haven't before, so why now?'. If a player has played more than 50 or 100 games, then make it that bit more special, otherwise just give them a lap. It's so ridiculously easy.

There'll be times when a player's contract is still up in the air after the last game is played. If that's the case, then so be it, they can't do a final lap.
I agree

Jeterpool
26-03-2014, 08:03 PM
The article in the Herald this morning about the likely retirement of Bridges is cause for optimism. The bloke rubs me up the wrong way for some reason and I will not be shedding a tear for his departure. Just thankful and delighted that it is FINALLY happening. Bloke should never have been resigned last season or the season before that either

So he has 4-6 weeks left?

Jeterpool
26-03-2014, 08:04 PM
FFS - the guy is just going to retire after a long career, end of.

Nobody at the club has suggested how this is to be acknowledged - all the suggestions are coming from here.

I thank the guy for his contribution, particularly off the field when he provided leadership in two crises - the severing of ties with Con and the license hand back. He helped ensure that there was no panic and a mass walk out of players.

On top of that he had a credible career in England, of course ruined by injury. He wants to stay in this city, has gained citizenship and put his money on the line by investing in a local business (whatever happened to the Joel Griffiths Foundation btw?)

His best playing days are long gone but I'm finding it childish that some here don't even want him to walk around the ground at the end of the season - remember what Thommo did?

If you have the balls put your faces to the sledges and have a "Good Riddance Bridgey" sign up for him at the last game as he walks past.......

Well Said... + 1

Agree. I will enjoy his last 4-6 weeks but seriously I will be giving him a clap and thanking him for this contribution

sammydog
26-03-2014, 08:05 PM
I'm not one of Bridges' fans and I'll be happy to see him retire. I also love the idea about the guys that are leaving/retiring doing a lap at the end of the last home game. Throw their name up on the screen and let everyone give them a clap as they go round. It doesn't matter how shit they were, they wore the shirt and at some point more than likely did something good for us. Bridges has scored some goals and been around the club longer than most of the current crop - for all we know, and I'm just speculating, maybe he's been instrumental in the way Taggz has come on this year? Maybe not, but why are we all so goddamn angry all the time??

We expect the players to be 100% professional, and the club to be 100% professional, and both of them to do everything right, yet we can act like 10yr olds? Show a bit of respect and gratitude to players and it will come back. I agree with plague (i think it was you?), the club need to start acknowledging players - long serving or not. You can't just say 'oh well they haven't before, so why now?'. If a player has played more than 50 or 100 games, then make it that bit more special, otherwise just give them a lap. It's so ridiculously easy.

There'll be times when a player's contract is still up in the air after the last game is played. If that's the case, then so be it, they can't do a final lap.

Great post.

plague
26-03-2014, 08:15 PM

Yes it was me.
This is part of the reason why your post was very awesome.
Well said.

militiamon
26-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Bridges hater here too, and I agree with what plague and halo said.

MFKS
07-04-2014, 08:28 PM
This bloke plays this Friday and the club are totally ****ed and it is a farrking dis grace

Be better off playing a few kids from the Yoof team and the likes of Oxborrow Hoole etc and look to the future than give this bloke a last hurrah for his selfish reasons.

Premy
08-04-2014, 10:57 AM
http://m.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastle-jets-news-display/Bridges-calls-time-on-playing-career/89527/5

It's Official, Huzzah!!!

Grimario
08-04-2014, 10:58 AM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Bridges-calls-time-on-playing-career/89527

Bridges calls time on playing career

Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets forward Michael Bridges has announced he will end his illustrious playing career following the conclusion of the Jets’ 2013/14 Hyundai A-League campaign.

The 35-year-old played 19 seasons as a professional, competing in all four tiers of the English football league system, before finishing his career in Australia with the Jets.

After five seasons at Newcastle, 65 appearances and 12 goals for the Club, Bridges said he felt now was the right time to hang up his boots.

“When you play professionally for as long as I have you see the highs and lows of football,” Bridges said.

“Thankfully I’ve been lucky enough to have great support around me throughout my career and I’ve loved and cherished every minute of it.

“Having the opportunity play football for a living is something that I never took granted and I’m extremely grateful for all the experiences I’ve had along the way.”

The former England U-21 international started his career with Sunderland, where he made 79 appearances, scoring 16 goals, and twice helped the Black Cats gain promotion to the English Premier League.

Bridges was signed by Leeds United ahead of the 1999/00 English Premier League season for a £5 million transfer fee.

In his first season at Elland Road, Bridges scored 19 Premiership goals including a debut hat-trick against Southampton.

Bridges also helped his side finish third in the Premiership, qualify for the Champions League and reach the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup.

Bridges went on to have stints at Newcastle United, Bolton Wanderers, Bristol City, Carlisle United, Hull City, Sydney FC and Milton Keynes Dons before signing with the Jets.

Bridges will play his final home match when the Newcastle take on Adelaide United in a must-win clash at Hunter Stadium on Friday.

“I’ve had five fantastic years at the Jets and that’s a credit to all the fans, the players I’ve played alongside and the staff who have been here along the way,” Bridges said.

“Everybody has made me feel so welcome and this is a place I can now call home.

“I’m looking forward to playing in front of our Members at Hunter Stadium one last time on Friday and hopefully helping us to a win to keep our finals hopes alive.”

Jets CEO Robbie Middleby paid tribute to Bridges and thanked him for his contribution during his four seasons as a Newcastle Jets player.

“Michael has enjoyed a distinguished playing career in both England and Australia and on behalf of the Club I’d like to congratulate on his achievements,” Middleby said.

“Since joining the Jets, Michael has been a huge asset to the Club both on and off the field and a fantastic ambassador for football in Newcastle and Australia.”

MFKS
08-04-2014, 11:04 AM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Bridges-calls-time-on-playing-career/89527

Bridges calls time on playing career

THANK **** :lulzturtle::fap:

pv4
08-04-2014, 11:08 AM
I’m looking forward to playing in front of our Members at Hunter Stadium one last time on Friday and hopefully helping us to a win to keep our finals hopes alive

Uhm, why would Zane play him at all? He wasn't even on the bench last week.

I applauded Bridges for his career etc the last time he retired. I am showing no emotion for this time around, as it was complete BS that he was dragged back out of retirement in the first place & he has been diabolical and a waste of a squad spot & a hinderence (sp) on transfer plans since it has happened.

I look forward to us using the squad spot wisely (lol - like that will happen).

Also :rof: at 6 forms of contact I've received telling me about this since it was announced. A few FB notifications, some texts, an email, all hilarious!

plague
08-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Am shocked someone is yet to claim Middlebys quote wasn't his and he only said it cause Troy Palmer told him to.

MFKS
08-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Precisely right WLG.

There is no way in the world this bloke should get on the park on Friday night during the 90mins of game. Drive him around in a car pre game or let him do a lap of honour whilst I am walking to my car at Fulltime all you like.

Playing him for his own self centered reasons at the expense of blooding rookie squad players the younger members of the squad or even Yoof teamers would be a disgrace

Grimario
08-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Also :rof: at 6 forms of contact I've received telling me about this since it was announced. A few FB notifications, some texts, an email, all hilarious!

Party at yours? Let's make it sometime in November when the Australian Disc Golf Championships are held at Rathmines.

BodyNovo
08-04-2014, 11:20 AM
don't let him play. he might get the urge to to play on.

in all seriousness

great guy, did good things for the club off the field, good tapas bar.

but

he should have never come back from his first retirement.

Jeterpool
08-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Michael Bridges Jets Career as it stands

65 appearances (33 starts and 32 substitute appearances)

12 goals (including 3 penalties)

5 yellow cards

2869 minutes of pitch time for the club

Congratulations for a great career Michael. You played at the highest level and managed to overcome your injuries to still achieve a fulfilling career. Thankyou for the contributions to the club and the work you undertook during the ownership turmoil of seasons passed.

Bridges is the 7th leading scorer in Jets History. He is the 12th highest capped player for the club.

joel31
08-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Great news. Hopefully he's only a sub on friday

Premy
08-04-2014, 12:47 PM
I've heard that one of his most avid followers has convinced him to sign for Toronto.

joel31
08-04-2014, 12:52 PM
I've heard that one of his most avid followers has convinced him to sign for Toronto.
2bobs??

pv4
08-04-2014, 12:53 PM

Would pay to watch that

Jeterpool
08-04-2014, 01:06 PM

i thought he'd play for Cooks Hill

Premy
08-04-2014, 01:39 PM
Would pay to watch that
Surely you'll get free entry, my "source" said you're his personal boot* polisher

*Rod

pv4
08-04-2014, 01:47 PM
Surely you'll get free entry, my "source" said you're his personal boot* polisher

*Rod

Would polish his boots to watch him play for toronto

q-money
08-04-2014, 02:12 PM
is this bloke still playing?

la bazzle
08-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Sad sad day the foz. Nothing to talk about now. Shut it down

Jeterpool
08-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Sad sad day the foz. Nothing to talk about now. Shut it down

Pfft. There's griff, Gallaway, Middleby, MBF hopefully signing on.

Plus the french open is on soon. And pv4 will have a chance to give sheep quiz answers on time. Grim will talk about disc golf, SD to keep the pool business afloat (:lulz:) during the winter. Member will change his avatar and hence won't post..or will to show up WLG.

And at the end, I'll give done statistics on posts per day during the season when compared to the off season.

Jeterpool
08-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Oh and the World Cup will be on but us bandwagon liverpool fans will be crowing about our first premier league title in 24 years, meaning that's where the most traffic comes from.

Premy
08-04-2014, 05:28 PM
:yay:
but us bandwagon liverpool fans will be crowing about our first premier league title in 24 years, meaning that's where the most traffic comes from.
:yay:

Grimario
08-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Pfft. There's griff, Gallaway, Middleby, MBF hopefully signing on.

Plus the french open is on soon. And pv4 will have a chance to give sheep quiz answers on time. Grim will talk about disc golf, SD to keep the pool business afloat (:lulz:) during the winter. Member will change his avatar and hence won't post..or will to show up WLG.

And at the end, I'll give done statistics on posts per day during the season when compared to the off season.

What's this disc golf you speak of?

Jeterpool
08-04-2014, 05:59 PM
What's this disc golf you speak of?

Maybe it's called Frolf over there.

It's all the rage over here. It's taken off since the new year. Everyone on the Foz, who is local, is playing it

Grimario
08-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Maybe it's called Frolf over there.

It's all the rage over here. It's taken off since the new year. Everyone on the Foz, who is local, is playing it

Nothing like that over here. It's just footy and ulti.

sammydog
08-04-2014, 07:05 PM

Coming to play O35's with the Kingfishers.

Premy
08-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Coming to play O35's with the Kingfishers.I actually wouldn't be surprised with your "connections" if this turns out to be true.

stopper2
08-04-2014, 09:55 PM
All I have to say on this is that it is indicative of the low standards many so-called supporters have when they would refer to Bridges as a club legend!!!
No wonder year in year out we aim for the "top six", get to the final game in a scrape for 6th spot and end up 7th or 8th.
I said it on Sunday when Bridges didn't play on Saturday that he was saving himself for his big finale next Friday.....can just envisage it now with half an hour to go, he comes on to a standing ovation, does his usual tricks and flicks with no end product and then does a lap of honour as if he actually achieved something while at this club....I feel nauseous already.

Jetmaster
09-04-2014, 08:58 AM
All I have to say on this is that it is indicative of the low standards many so-called supporters have when they would refer to Bridges as a club legend!!!
No wonder year in year out we aim for the "top six", get to the final game in a scrape for 6th spot and end up 7th or 8th.
I said it on Sunday when Bridges didn't play on Saturday that he was saving himself for his big finale next Friday.....can just envisage it now with half an hour to go, he comes on to a standing ovation, does his usual tricks and flicks with no end product and then does a lap of honour as if he actually achieved something while at this club....I feel nauseous already.

FFS - just don't go to the game if it troubles you so much. He'll have his 20 mins, say his goodbyes and then he's gone forever - let it be. At least he gives a shit unlike guys like Thommo, North and Covic before him who couldn't be arsed to acknowledge the fans and played like amateurs towards the end.

Even when Bridges retires he will come under criticism just for being alive.

pv4
09-04-2014, 09:07 AM
He'll have his 20 mins

Do you mean on the field, playing, or just off the field?

I still can't fathom why on earth he'll get any game time on Friday. We went into the Victory game last week knowing we had to win. Zane put out a team that drew (against a side much higher on the table), and arguably should have won if not for some reffing etc, and Bridges wasn't even on the bench. What exactly would be the motivator to take our "best" side and change it for the Adelaide game, that is just as important (if not more) than the Victory game? We have to win, nothing else will do. If we sacrifice playing our best possible side for the sake of a Bridges retirement cameo, this club & the entirety of management, coaches (inc Bridges) etc are royally messed up - and they should all be sacked.

FTR I'll always hold a grudge towards Bridges for what my perception of Bridges wrong-doings with the Ljubo/Branko saga was (I only worded it like that to keep you Bridges-lovers at bay). Nothing to do with him "just being alive".

MFKS
09-04-2014, 09:13 AM
Do you mean on the field, playing, or just off the field?

I still can't fathom why on earth he'll get any game time on Friday. We went into the Victory game last week knowing we had to win. Zane put out a team that drew (against a side much higher on the table), and arguably should have won if not for some reffing etc, and Bridges wasn't even on the bench. What exactly would be the motivator to take our "best" side and change it for the Adelaide game, that is just as important (if not more) than the Victory game? We have to win, nothing else will do. If we sacrifice playing our best possible side for the sake of a Bridges retirement cameo, this club & the entirety of management, coaches (inc Bridges) etc are royally messed up - and they should all be sacked.

FTR I'll always hold a grudge towards Bridges for what my perception of Bridges wrong-doings with the Ljubo/Branko saga was (I only worded it like that to keep you Bridges-lovers at bay). Nothing to do with him "just being alive".

Also to add to that WLG If the management choose to play Bridges at the expense of blooding a Yoof player or giving the likes of Oxborrow Hoole etc a run then they are right royally ****ed up as well.

Reality is moving forward these blokes are the future of our club and giving some bloke a self centered run just for the sake of it is ****ed when really the benefits of giving game time to the Yoof would be useful shorter/medium/longer term.

Personally I couldn't give a shit whether our best XI take the field Friday. I would rather see the likes of Kale (ohh Hang on we let him go:banghead:) Cowburn Solari Oxborrow Hoole Lundy etc get 90 mins and game time at HAL to help their development rather than put our best XI out to win the game so we can still miss the finals anyway

q-money
09-04-2014, 11:16 AM
#freekale

Beeen
09-04-2014, 11:44 AM
#freakale

Grimario
09-04-2014, 11:54 AM
#freakale

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lssVlZ_-l5U/TvzAGA2KH2I/AAAAAAAAB5o/fkCjaQTt70I/s1600/Green+Flash+Le+Freak+Ale.jpg

C'est chic

GazFish35
03-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Too much influence.

seldom
09-05-2014, 02:08 AM
Nearly time for a cumback !

leftrightout
09-05-2014, 08:21 AM
6-8 week joke coming in 3....2....1....