PDA

View Full Version : Bridges Time to Go

Pages : [1] 2

MFKS
11-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Now that we have Heskeytime, Taggart, the under rated talents of Joey Gibbs and some bloke called Joel Griffiths can someone enlighten me as to why we are wasting a squad spot on this bloke??

joel31
11-01-2014, 10:48 AM
I'm pretty sure he'll be gone at the end of the season

Thomas477
11-01-2014, 11:08 AM
I want Brown gone before Bridges.

Skirt Boy
11-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Now that we have Heskeytime, Taggart, the under rated talents of Joey Gibbs and some bloke called Joel Griffiths can someone enlighten me as to why we are wasting a squad spot on this bloke??

Your ****ing clueless

Jeterpool
11-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Bridges did no worse than some other players did last night. And some of those didn't get their own thread at the conclusion of the game.

I think Bridgey is trying too hard to impress in the short time he is getting.

However, as a striker it did concern me how deep he was dropping at times. He is supposed to be at the point of our attack.

stopper2
11-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Sorry I just don't get this love affair that a lot of the Jets faithful seem to have with Bridges. I've been supporting the club since day dot and I just cringe everytime he receives a resounding ovation whether it is for when he is about to come on or when he comes off the field. Seems to be a great bloke and everything off the field and that may be the appeal but really how many games has he came on and made such an impact that won the game for us??? His record of 11 goals in 59 games for us as a striker/#10 is nothing to write home about. Sure he is entertaining at times with the little flicks or step-overs etc but he also frustrates me with the attempts of trying to over-elaborate ie going for that "killer pass" or too many touches. Just this morning I was out-and-about and on discussing the match last night with another supporter who was there, he brought up how Bridges done well when he came on.....I thought here we go. No mention of Virgili or Caravella.....just Bridges!!!
Please can someone enlighten me as to what he has done to deserve to be held in such high esteem, as for me he he has been a decent player at best for the club who just never quite delivered when it mattered most.

The Dunster
11-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Bridges is the best self promoter in the history of football.

Grimario
11-01-2014, 04:35 PM
A Bridges Too Far - The tale of the guy who didn't know when to quit

My2BobsWorth
11-01-2014, 05:00 PM
Bridgey is a No.10 you idiot

Hunter403
11-01-2014, 05:20 PM
His first touch last night was better than most and his vision is far better than most. His fitness is an issue (game time?) but he was of far more benefit than Virgilli (damn he looks unfit) and Brown (appalling last night). I am neither in favour of getting rid of him or sacking him: but he played pretty well last night.

As for the claim of being a self promoter: what rubbish. he does a bit of tv time and that's about it. Dunster, your criticsim of him for this is unfair.

TBH, I would have liked to see him get the chance to build a partnership with Heskey and let the young blokes feed them. Not going to happen now that we have one of the "Show me the money" Griffiths boys back. Hesky and Griff together? Not sure about that. We still need a 10.

GazFish35
11-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Was the citizenship test hard hunter403?

Hunter403
11-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Was the citizenship test hard hunter403?
laugh so hard i nearly shat! How about a reasoned response rather than weak comedy?

The Dunster
11-01-2014, 06:29 PM
My criticism is more than fair. The bloke can't even dominate at NYL and state league level. He's not good enough, he's not getting any better, and he's blocking kids that are more deserving from getting their chance at A-league level.

With respect to self promotion, someone had to convince the club to sign him and it sure as **** wasn't from the fans lobbying to get his signature.

Grimario
11-01-2014, 06:49 PM
His first touch last night was better than most and his vision is far better than most. His fitness is an issue (game time?) but he was of far more benefit than Virgilli (damn he looks unfit) and Brown (appalling last night). I am neither in favour of getting rid of him or sacking him: but he played pretty well last night.

As for the claim of being a self promoter: what rubbish. he does a bit of tv time and that's about it. Dunster, your criticsim of him for this is unfair.

TBH, I would have liked to see him get the chance to build a partnership with Heskey and let the young blokes feed them. Not going to happen now that we have one of the "Show me the money" Griffiths boys back. Hesky and Griff together? Not sure about that. We still need a 10.

So... The guy does slightly better than two shit players and that warrants game time? Without rep duty, he wouldn't be anywhere near the squad and nor should he.

GazFish35
11-01-2014, 07:49 PM
laugh so hard i nearly shat! How about a reasoned response rather than weak comedy?

Reasoned responses have been put forward an amazing amount of times previously.
Bridges is past it.
He's an effective sub when used against a tired defense, when we still have legs to run off him, we didn't have those legs last night.

halo se7en
12-01-2014, 06:12 AM
More effective than Virgili?? Virgili put in at least one cross that should have been buried - remind me of the single chance Bridges created.

Bremsstrahlung
12-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Personally, I thought he was disappointing. Few good touching, but not really a match changing player...
Petrovski was scoring more goals and being more of an impact when he was playing for us at a similar age. All for him to stick around and take on some coaching or similar position as he is obviously well liked within the community.
I agree that he is holding back players. I would much rather see Kale or Taggart/Griff/Heskey(presuming 2/3 will start) on the bench.

Wasn't the only poor performance, Brown is arguably just as bad, if not worse...

sanchez
12-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Should just build a bridge and get over it.

Smeezyy
12-01-2014, 04:16 PM
No idea where the Bridges "self promoter" bs comes from. I've never heard him talk up his own ability or anything like that. Usually he only spouts praise for the other young lads.

This entire thread is a joke too. If this was a thread to piss off someone such as Brillante or Taggart you moderators would be up in arms.

The bloke gets out there and gives 100% with the small amount of time he gets, and usually threatens the opposition defense more than most do throughout the rest of the game.

Besides he isnt a striker anyway, he's the only one in the squad that can even play the way a no. 10 us supposed to, create chances.

He isnt going anywhere because a 5-6 haters on a forum don't like him. Someone close this ridiculous thread and deal with it. Ffs...

GazFish35
12-01-2014, 04:58 PM
This entire thread is a joke too. If this was a thread to piss off someone such as Brillante or Taggart you moderators would be up in arms.

I beg to differ. The forum is all about people expressing opinions and others engaging in discussion with different points of view. Bridges divides opinion between those who watch what he does, and those who watch what he tries to do.

My2BobsWorth
12-01-2014, 05:04 PM
The division is between people who know their football, and those who don't

GazFish35
12-01-2014, 05:07 PM
You could say it like that also!

pv4
12-01-2014, 05:30 PM
The division is between people who know their football, and those who don't

I agree with this so fxxxing much and am so happy you can admit it.

Btw if I gave away the ball once every two times I had it, and could offer nothing to the game, in which my team couldn't win at home against a team more understrength than mine - I know I wouldn't be smiling at the end of the game if I were to claim I gave my all. Bridges was smiling

My2BobsWorth
12-01-2014, 05:32 PM
:whistling:

pv4
12-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Do you know the sad thing? The bridges brigade will say they are the football heads, they are the mature people etc.

If bridges did something good I'd be there saying "nice, back it up".

But when bridges continously performs badly, all I hear is "but the others!! But he looks good on tv!! But I found this smiley emoticon!!". Have a look at yourselves pals. You legit have no educated or wise responses to anything, yet continously think you're in the right.

Had another :rof: worthy moment just then. A mate of mine was at a game this weekend and ran into a certain high profile commentator. Apparently the fox team are told to put a lid on or ignore bridges obvious and sometimes desperate failures on the pitch because there's a possibility he'll be a co commentator one day and they dont want to (excuse this) burn those bridges. Also apparently the fox team have a great chuckle when the hunter stadium roars for bridges as a sub :rof:

Jeterpool
12-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Bridges did no worse than some other players did last night. And some of those didn't get their own thread at the conclusion of the game.

I think Bridgey is trying too hard to impress in the short time he is getting.

However, as a striker it did concern me how deep he was dropping at times. He is supposed to be at the point of our attack.

I should add to this that I think Joey Gibbs should have been brought on instead. He has more in terms of a future to offer the club on the field.

Plus he has the best strike rate in Jets history with a goal every 8 minutes of play

Skirt Boy
12-01-2014, 06:42 PM
I should add to this that I think Joey Gibbs should have been brought on instead. He has more in terms of a future to offer the club on the field.

Plus he has the best strike rate in Jets history with a goal every 8 minutes of play

**** the future of the club. I want results now.

sanchez
12-01-2014, 06:44 PM

Well unfortunately Bridges won't deliver either, which really shows the mentality of our manager.

joel31
Joey would have been better than Bridgey now and forever more

Jeterpool

I can understand that. I think that's GvE's mentality too, hence the decisions made on Friday night.

I just don't think it was the right one. Unfortunately we'll never know

joel31
12-01-2014, 06:49 PM
A balance is required

Skirt Boy
12-01-2014, 06:52 PM
A balance is required

That's why we have a side in the NBN.

pv4
17-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Attn: Michael Bridges

No one wants you here. Leave this team and this town alone. At the ripe old age of 30 something, and having been forced into retirement and told to never play again, you can see why we'd rather persist with similarly-poor-performing players who are young, have never been told to never play again, and actually have a playing future ahead of them

Cheers
Everyone

sanchez
17-01-2014, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't be blaming Bridges directly...to be honest, if GVE picked me each week I'd still give it a crack, but offer absolutely nothing (well, not as little as Bridges I suppose).

The root cause of the problem is GVE making these ludicrous decisions week-in, week-out

Tommyjet
17-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Yes bridges was utter puss tonight, constantly turned it over, maybe landed 2 passes.

sammydog
17-01-2014, 09:41 PM
You watch the game tonight and single out bridges?

Bigger problems than him tonight, far bigger problems. Starting with the coach.

pv4
17-01-2014, 09:47 PM
You watch the game tonight and single out bridges?

Bigger problems than him tonight, far bigger problems. Starting with the coach.

I only got to watched from 60 or 70 mins onwards. All I saw was a constant turnover of possession. We had a run of half a dozen passes in nice build up that bridges singlehandedly ruined.

This is not a problem just from tonight - it's been a constant one for the last 2 or so years.

Bridges out
Gve out
Griff in

sammydog
17-01-2014, 09:52 PM
I only got to watched from 60 or 70 mins onwards. All I saw was a constant turnover of possession. We had a run of half a dozen passes in nice build up that bridges singlehandedly ruined.

This is not a problem just from tonight - it's been a constant one for the last 2 or so years.

Bridges out
Gve out
Griff in

If you have the stomach for it, watch the replay. The whole game was one big cluster**** thanks to our fearless leader. The team is rudderless, blaming one player doesn't go far enough.

Pico
17-01-2014, 09:56 PM
If you have the stomach for it, watch the replay. The whole game was one big cluster**** thanks to our fearless leader. The team is rudderless, blaming one player doesn't go far enough.

pv4 don't do it to yourself.

regards
jets TV audience

Jeterpool
17-01-2014, 10:01 PM

That's just mean

pv4
17-01-2014, 10:03 PM

I'm taking one brick at a time

Skirt Boy
17-01-2014, 10:22 PM
I thought he was one of our best when he came on tonight. At a minimum the ****s having a ****ing go. More then what I can say for the other ****s on the field tonight other then Zads and Ward.

GazFish35
17-01-2014, 10:25 PM
To be fair to bridges pv4 he wasn't a standout bad tonight.

Everyone dropped to his level...... 62minutes before he came on

pv4
17-01-2014, 10:25 PM
Is he really having a go though? So many of those flicks that he turns over possession with are so lazy and lethargic looking, and its no wonder they don't come off. We had a run of 6 or so passes that when it got to him he gave it straight to heart - I'd say everyone was trying to play and bridges wasn't. And what about the fact that he comes on as a sub, so is meant to look and be fresher?

My favourite moment I saw tonight was Heskey going for a header and then absolutely reaming Bridges for not running on for it

pv4
17-01-2014, 10:27 PM
To be fair to bridges pv4 he wasn't a standout bad tonight.

Everyone dropped to his level...... 62minutes before he came on

As I keep saying, my gripe with Bridges is forever developing from years of the same old shit. One night of the rest of the team performing poorly and losing a game we shouldn't have doesn't change bridges CONTINUAL bad form and uselesness

la bazzle
17-01-2014, 10:28 PM
He has a go, heart on his sleeve, gives his all, a real club man, has pride in the jersey, puts his best foot forward. Bloke stinks

q-money
17-01-2014, 10:44 PM
how's this bloke giving a spray to Goodwin :rof: back to the bar game chief, what a stinker

plague
17-01-2014, 10:47 PM
He has a go, heart on his sleeve, gives his all, a real club man, has pride in the jersey, puts his best foot forward. Bloke stinks

Can someone please make a star emoticon as I would like to give this post 5 of them.

pv4
18-01-2014, 08:04 AM
He stinks. Uses the same deoderant as Gallaway ffs

WolfMan
18-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Is he really having a go though? So many of those flicks that he turns over possession with are so lazy and lethargic looking, and its no wonder they don't come off. We had a run of 6 or so passes that when it got to him he gave it straight to heart - I'd say everyone was trying to play and bridges wasn't. And what about the fact that he comes on as a sub, so is meant to look and be fresher?

My favourite moment I saw tonight was Heskey going for a header and then absolutely reaming Bridges for not running on for it

Me agree. One of the thousands of useless flicks he tried really caught my ire last night.

Edge of the box, or thereabouts and he tries to flick on to Heskey, who is no speed demon. Was never going to work and he should know better.

Different if Taggart was there or something, but you have to play to your teammates' capabilities.

sammydog
18-01-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm taking one brick at a time

Forget the bricks, we need to get rid of the foundations.

joel31
19-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Someone said Bridges for coach on Jets fans fb page. What will his tactics be tell everyone to hold onto the ball for too long then pass to opposition?

Tommyjet
19-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Some people who know little about football just cling to him because he's got a bit of personality just the same as it was with tarek. I'm happy for the jets to try bridges out for a couple of years with the youth league but idiots calling for him now are just pathetic. Each to their own tho I spose

q-money
19-01-2014, 04:01 PM
twitter sycophants

sammydog
19-01-2014, 04:18 PM
I'm happy for the jets to try bridges out for a couple of years with the youth league but idiots calling for him now are just pathetic. Each to their own tho I spose

I don't care who the person is, before you get handed the keys to the first team you should have gotten experience and proved your worth with lower grades.

Bridges needs to earn his place either in youth or as assistant manager and I would hope anyone else who gets the job will have been through that process.

Jeterpool
19-01-2014, 04:50 PM
I don't care who the person is, before you get handed the keys to the first team you should have gotten experience and proved your worth with lower grades.

Bridges needs to earn his place either in youth or as assistant manager and I would hope anyone else who gets the job will have been through that process.

I agree

northern_swan
19-01-2014, 05:27 PM
I get the feeling Bridges will take the media path after his playing days are over. I know he has done his badges, but given his media spots over the last 12 months I think coaching will be on the back burner, at least in the short term

Jeterpool
19-01-2014, 08:10 PM
I beg to differ. The forum is all about people expressing opinions and others engaging in discussion with different points of view. Bridges divides opinion between those who watch what he does, and those who watch what he tries to do.

I reckon he'll do what Rudan has done

stopper2
19-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Some people who know little about football just cling to him because he's got a bit of personality just the same as it was with tarek. I'm happy for the jets to try bridges out for a couple of years with the youth league but idiots calling for him now are just pathetic. Each to their own tho I spose
Agree with what you say but don't compare him with Tarek. Tarek was in our GF winning team and so far has played more games for the club then anyone and spilt a lot of blood and sweat for this club in his time here. Even now at Adelaide he has proven both GVE and Poppa wrong with some typical gutsy performances this season that were his trademark during his years here.

Premy
19-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Agree with what you say but don't compare him with Tarek. Tarek was in our GF winning team and so far has played more games for the club then anyone and spilt a lot of blood and sweat for this club in his time here. Even now at Adelaide he has proven both GVE and Poppa wrong with some typical gutsy performances this season that were his trademark during his years here.

Bahahaha :lulzturtle: :roflz:

halo se7en
19-01-2014, 09:43 PM

I appreciated his time here, and wasn't upset to see him go, but **** me that goal against Roar at home to send us to the GF is still my favourite moment as a Jets fan, even eclipsing the GF. Hunter Stadium has never shook so much as it did when he rifled that into the top corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8-w8hc_Xvw - still gives me gooseys

Tommyjet
20-01-2014, 05:34 AM
Yes your right tarek delivered far more for us than bridges has ever but tarek had to go, both for his own career and the club. A fit and firing Neville is better IMO, just gotta keep him fit tho

pv4
20-01-2014, 07:57 AM
Can someone please tell me what coaching qualifications, and what coaching experience, Michael Bridges has?

BodyNovo
20-01-2014, 08:02 AM
Can someone please tell me what coaching qualifications, and what coaching experience, Michael Bridges has?

far out PV4 give the guy a break.

he has played premier league football with mark viduka and harry cool, owns a mad restaurant and holds possesion really well in the corner.

he obviously knows everything about coaching, should be given the main gig, probably tells palmer tactics.

20-01-2014, 08:03 AM
Fox Sport this morning has him as Asst coach/player tli season's end with Zane in charge. Deans to youth.

Jeterpool
20-01-2014, 08:16 AM

I think he has either his A or B licence.

pv4
20-01-2014, 08:55 AM
I think he has either his A or B licence.

This is the best I could find:

Has C Licence, was keen to get B Licence by end of 2012

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/simon-hill-charts-the-football-journey-of-newcastles-michael-bridges-from-england-to-australial/story-e6frf4gl-1226515242814

Went for B-Licence, doesn't say whether he got it or not

http://www.footballnsw.com.au/index.php?id=149&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2013&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=03&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=7371&cHash=2c7972d0d5b9b40c651199d1649fb83a

GazFish35
20-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Licenses mean diddly without experience.

Look at the p-plate crash statistics.... All those dicks have licenses.

http://www.nationaldrivingacademy.com.au/Portals/17/monash%20crash%20profile.png

Blackmac79
20-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Hate this dual role thing. One or the other. Don't take two jobs that could be given to either a) young coaches or b) young players.

russjaybee
20-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Yeah dual roles is bs, what's happened to the Player / Captain / Coach, 2 is not enough. Bridgey for captain.

lil_masi
20-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Hate this dual role thing. One or the other. Don't take two jobs that could be given to either a) young coaches or b) young players.

Seriously how is that going to work. If bridgy saying i wanna play is Zane gonna then say no?

cobra23
20-01-2014, 03:26 PM
I appreciated his time here, and wasn't upset to see him go, but **** me that goal against Roar at home to send us to the GF is still my favourite moment as a Jets fan, even eclipsing the GF. Hunter Stadium has never shook so much as it did when he rifled that into the top corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8-w8hc_Xvw - still gives me gooseys

watching the glory days with the MASSIVE CROWD also gave me gooseys

leftrightout
20-01-2014, 03:28 PM

I agree that he should take on both roles but technically he would be considered a young coach wouldnt he?

The Dunster
20-01-2014, 03:54 PM
I get the feeling Bridges will take the media path after his playing days are over. I know he has done his badges, but given his media spots over the last 12 months I think coaching will be on the back burner, at least in the short term

His playing days have been over for many years. He just won't quit is all.

q-money
20-01-2014, 04:01 PM
ladies and gentlemen, welcome the newcastle michael bridges, featuring michael bridges on drums, michael bridges on guitars and lead singer michael bridges

after party DJ'ed and MC'ed by DJ michael bridges and MC michael bridges

bridges bridges bridges

russjaybee
20-01-2014, 04:02 PM

You mean he keeps getting played is all?

You can't put him getting a contract and getting on the park against him. It has to be the staff that gave him his contract and picked him in the squad that should be held accountable.

If you were a player and believed you could still do it on the pitch why wouldn't you push for it?

turbojetfireV8
20-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Reckon with his experience this is a positive move, fresh ideas from a pair of decent quality strikers in their respective times, time for Bridges to shine IMHO, forza nova Newy!

Blackmac79
20-01-2014, 08:53 PM
ladies and gentlemen, welcome the newcastle michael bridges, featuring michael bridges on drums, michael bridges on guitars and lead singer michael bridges

after party DJ'ed and MC'ed by DJ michael bridges and MC michael bridges

bridges bridges bridges

Sounds like the next installment of parkseys band story.

prawnhead
21-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Well he needs a strong coach to sit him down for the chat.

the blue manc
21-01-2014, 01:07 PM
cant believe this goose is being considered for a coaching role. when will he get the message, nobody likes you.

Jetmaster
21-01-2014, 01:40 PM
cant believe this goose is being considered for a coaching role. when will he get the message, nobody likes you.

Not quite - he is universally loved in the Western Stand. You do actually hear "we want Bridgey" chants !

GazFish35
21-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Not enough vitamin D being absorbed over that side of the stadium...

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/health-conditions/cognitive-impairment/

lquiquer
21-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Not quite - he is universally loved in the Western Stand. You do actually hear "we want Bridgey" chants !

We do actually hear "We want Bridgey" but you missed the second part of chant: "To retire"

The Dunster
21-01-2014, 03:29 PM
If his coaching skills are half as good as his ability to promote himself, then Bridges will be the best coach in the league.
He has absolutely no pedigree as a coach and yet slips into an assistants role. He must give a killer hand-job.

MFKS
28-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Almost getting to the stage where I feel it is high time people started getting vocal at matches at this bloke to encourage him to retire.

His playing contributions are non existent and he will now not be able to hide behind the no **** picked me bullshit he had under GVE. As assistant coach if he thinks he is good enough or needed on the park he should be getting himself picked.

When he comes on he has to achieve something or else F BOMB Off.

Saturday nights decision to bring himself on with 15 mins to go was a ****ing disgrace. Heskey was on his last legs and he talked InZane into bringing him so we then had 2 blokes up the park who couldn't run.

A half decent assistant coach would have taken the opportunity to give Joey Gibbs a go as he at least has the ability/desire to ****ing move. No we get another Cameo of sweet **** all from this bloke.

In his 15 mins he once again contributed ??? NOTHING
BRIDGES OUT

Skirt Boy
28-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Almost getting to the stage where I feel it is high time people started getting vocal at matches at this bloke to encourage him to retire.

His playing contributions are non existent and he will now not be able to hide behind the no **** picked me bullshit he had under GVE. As assistant coach if he thinks he is good enough or needed on the park he should be getting himself picked.

When he comes on he has to achieve something or else F BOMB Off.

Saturday nights decision to bring himself on with 15 mins to go was a ****ing disgrace. Heskey was on his last legs and he talked InZane into bringing him so we then had 2 blokes up the park who couldn't run.

A half decent assistant coach would have taken the opportunity to give Joey Gibbs a go as he at least has the ability/desire to ****ing move. No we get another Cameo of sweet **** all from this bloke.

In his 15 mins he once again contributed ??? NOTHING
BRIDGES OUT

Give it a rest. The guy is class.

joel31
28-01-2014, 08:35 PM
If I have time I will make a Bridges out standard. I might be able to make it for the home game after wanderers

militiamon
28-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Laughable that the guy is still playing while acting as assistant manager. We can kiss any hope of unbiased selections goodbye, 'sif he will ever drop himself for Kale.

To be a player/coach generally one has to be a good player. This is the first time I've seen a rubbish player appointed to such a position.

Tommyjet
28-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Would love to start a chant but most of the tools around me in bay 55 seem to love the bloke even though when he comes on he does nothing but turn it over and they start yelling at the 4 th official to get the opposition manager in his box. Morale of the story is they have very short attention span and spend most of the time flipping between what the opposition coach is doing and whether the 4th official is watching what the opp coach is doing therefore missing the fact that bridges has been poo every minute he has played.

GazFish35
28-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Just get vocal about it.

Pass it to bridges, pass it to bridges, pass it to bridges...... Then when he ****s up DONT PASS IT TO BRIDGES.

stopper2
28-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Seems people either rate him or don't rate him....there is no middle ground.
I don't recall in the history of this club a player who has polarised people's opinions so much.
I work with a couple of pro-Bridges drones who keep harping on of the need to start him or play him with Heskey, one actually said the other day that....."Bridges is the best No 10 in the A League!!!!!!!!!"......that's what we are up against!

MFKS
28-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Just get vocal about it.

Pass it to bridges, pass it to bridges, pass it to bridges...... Then when he ****s up DONT PASS IT TO BRIDGES.

Was more thinking about starting a

TIME TO GO TIME TO GO TIME TO GO SO **** OFF CHANT everytime he coughs it up. Feel the need to start waging war with this misguided fans of ours who think the bloke actually offers something.

It is high time we as a club got serious and stop the rot by employing SHITE players that wouldn't get a gig elsewhere in the HAL.

Seriously who would take him off our hands???

Roar??
WSW??
Victree??
Gypos??

**** he wouldn't get a run at ****ing Perth

Yet some thing he is some type of ****ing saviour despite him not being able to be a saviour of any sorts in the last 5 ****ing years

Tommyjet
28-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Was more thinking about starting a

TIME TO GO TIME TO GO TIME TO GO SO **** OFF CHANT everytime he coughs it up. Feel the need to start waging war with this misguided fans of ours who think the bloke actually offers something.

It is high time we as a club got serious and stop the rot by employing SHITE players that wouldn't get a gig elsewhere in the HAL.

Seriously who would take him off our hands???

Roar??
WSW??
Victree??
Gypos??

**** he wouldn't get a run at ****ing Perth

Yet some thing he is some type of ****ing saviour despite him not being able to be a saviour of any sorts in the last 5 ****ing years

No other team wanted him 3 year ago let alone now

MFKS
28-01-2014, 09:50 PM
No other team wanted him 3 year ago let alone now

Precisely why my anger is raging at our fans who think highly of this bloke.

All I hear is he would be doing wonders for our team if he played. Well we play him and he does nothing yet people still clamour for him

All I hear is he would make a great coach or good at helping our strikers cause of all his experience. Well explained to me how our ****ing technique shooting is ****ing abysmal and 99% of the side can't hit a cows arse with a banjo from close range. What the **** has he been doing at training in the last 5 ****ing years?? Surely if he was so talented he would have pulled these blokes up and said NO THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT??

The bloke is all smoke and mirrors and ain't fooling me with his BULLSHIT

pv4
28-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Can I just say.. it's taken you guys a few years to catch up, but I'm so happy I have friends on the bridges out bandwagon nowadays. I dun it, Con!

MFKS
28-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Can I just say.. it's taken you guys a few years to catch up, but I'm so happy I have friends on the bridges out bandwagon nowadays. I dun it, Con!

Yeah though my rage stems mainly cause of the Fapfest 2014 thread, added by my disgust at Griffs lack of clearance added to by the bloke doing the Sheep Quiz being slow with answers/ questions and my disgust that SD has disowned the Pool Thread.

These things got fixed/improved I wouldn't be blowing my stack at Bridges

Smeezyy
28-01-2014, 11:30 PM
This really gets out of hand. He legitimately comes on and does nothing less than any other player, granted not much more, but he's one of the only players that we can bring off the bench to inject something different. Ya'll can say what you like but there are thousands of fans that rate bridges and only a few lads on here that seem to want his head. Sorry but he's here to stay whether he's a coach or a player so maybe try supporting the club?

Try not to worry so much about football fellas, you've turned this forum into a giant bitch about one particular player and it's a little sad.

What we should be talking about is the players that manage to **** up for 80 minutes, not the player who misses a few passes when the game is gone anyway.

Premy
28-01-2014, 11:42 PM
What we should be talking about is the player that manage to **** up for 80 minutes,
Yeah ffs Caravan do the thing you're good at go back to where you came from.

Pico
29-01-2014, 12:34 AM
I'm actually all for bridges getting more game time now, this is yet another season of rebuilding / demolition / right off. I'd much rather have bridges start every game from now on and play the full 90 each week maybe then people will come to their senses, he could even score his 1.25 goals for the season.

since when has voicing an opinion meant you don't support the club, who are you to tell people who is or is not above scrutiny. at least the bridges out mob are honest and back up their views as oppose to refusing to name the player who you cast all the blame on for 80 minutes.

supporting something is having the guts to stand up and say when something is wrong, stupid, inspiring or right no matter the reaction or consequences.

seldom
29-01-2014, 12:39 AM
Not a Bridges fan but ffs...idiots wanting to start negative chants about a player,who lets face it is trying his best on old legs.No player deserves this and blaming him for the teams lack of finishing...lol

q-money
29-01-2014, 01:08 AM
he iz da best

Thomas477
29-01-2014, 06:24 AM
What's the difference between negative chants to Bridges and Brown? People were bitching about Brown copping it when he deserved it, at least Bridges tries.

The fact is that every player is an equal on the field, you can't have one set of rules for one player, and another for the rest. Unless you're ADP, that is.

Jetmaster
29-01-2014, 08:47 AM
I think to end this ongoing argument, Bridges should probably be given a starting spot for a week or two. He can settle in to the pace of the game and not force things. He would probably come off after 60 mins or so.

The current situation is that he comes on with 10 mins to go, usually in trouble, and he tries to force passes and try things that are not on.

A couple of starts will tell us for certain if Bridget still his it or not.

pv4
29-01-2014, 08:57 AM
I think to end this ongoing argument, Jets coaching&management need to terminate Bridges' playing contract.

Jeterpool
29-01-2014, 09:31 AM
There are some pretty short memories on here.

Remember a few years ago when HSG returned the licence to the FFA, Bridges along with Ryan Griffiths were to two senior players in the squad because GvE was in the process of signing his youth brigade? Bridges was one of the players who acted as a the players representatives, and I would be sure would have been advising the young players to stay put, stay loyal, despite being told their contracts were terminated and to go find new clubs. His experience and contribution during this time shouldn’t be forgotten by any Jets supporter.

Last season, the reason we were within a shout of reaching the finals was the presence of him on the field along with the pressure and presence of Caravella. Given game time he played well and contributed important goals.

This season, as with the early part of the last, he was used as the “impact player” to try and change the game and create something. Bridges hasn’t had a great amount of game time – less than 200 minutes. The likes of James Virgili, James Brown and Josh Mitchell have all seen more field. I hardly think he’s had a run to prove definitively if he has or hasn’t still got it. However, if this is his role for the team I wonder if that’s his best spot. Maybe he’s the best option with the players we have. Is he to blame for the club being in that situation?

I’m not a Bridges lover, nor am I a Bridges hater. I am a Jets supporter and will support him while he is giving it his all. If he plays poorly, I’m happy to call him out on it. Similarly if he plays well I will give him praise. I do the same for any player wearing our shirt. Look back at my previous posts if you want – praise where it’s due, criticism where I think it’s warranted. Yes, he is giving the ball away, sometimes his touch is off, sometimes a pass is astray. But let’s be fair, he’s not the only one guilty of such things.

Having him around the club I do see as a good thing. He opens different channels overseas; he has experience and has been coached at the top level, which is great to have in the organisation. I’d rather have it than not. Bridges coming on instead of a Joey Gibbs for Emile Heskey, maybe I don’t think that’s the best call. But again, that’s not Bridges decision – is it?

I’m disappointed in some of the comments on this site that people would even consider pre-meditating going to a game to boo our own player. I certainly won’t be. Instead I’ll be saving my voice to boo the OPPOSITION players like Mark Bridge, Youssef Hersi, Dean Heffernan and Shannon Cole.

leftrightout
29-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Come on Jeterpool, don't cloud people judgement with sensible responses!

Seriously though, i could not agree more with this!

Grimario
29-01-2014, 09:49 AM
But Dave... he is SHIT. That makes all of your points null and void.

Plus I haven't had coffee yet. TLDR.

Jeterpool
29-01-2014, 09:59 AM
But Dave... he is SHIT. That makes all of your points null and void.

Plus I haven't had coffee yet. TLDR.

Ha ha. And that's your opinion Grim. But who would you rather boo - ol' weak ankles or Bridges??

Grimario
29-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Ha ha. And that's your opinion Grim. But who would you rather boo - ol' weak ankles or Bridges??

I boo whoever the Lady Reds are playing.

29-01-2014, 10:13 AM

Remember a few years ago when HSG returned the licence to the FFA, Bridges along with Ryan Griffiths were to two senior players in the squad because GvE was in the process of signing his youth brigade? Bridges was one of the players who acted as a the players representatives, and I would be sure would have been advising the young players to stay put, stay loyal, despite being told their contracts were terminated and to go find new clubs. His experience and contribution during this time shouldn’t be forgotten by any Jets supporter.

Last season, the reason we were within a shout of reaching the finals was the presence of him on the field along with the pressure and presence of Caravella. Given game time he played well and contributed important goals.

This season, as with the early part of the last, he was used as the “impact player” to try and change the game and create something. Bridges hasn’t had a great amount of game time – less than 200 minutes. The likes of James Virgili, James Brown and Josh Mitchell have all seen more field. I hardly think he’s had a run to prove definitively if he has or hasn’t still got it. However, if this is his role for the team I wonder if that’s his best spot. Maybe he’s the best option with the players we have. Is he to blame for the club being in that situation?

I’m not a Bridges lover, nor am I a Bridges hater. I am a Jets supporter and will support him while he is giving it his all. If he plays poorly, I’m happy to call him out on it. Similarly if he plays well I will give him praise. I do the same for any player wearing our shirt. Look back at my previous posts if you want – praise where it’s due, criticism where I think it’s warranted. Yes, he is giving the ball away, sometimes his touch is off, sometimes a pass is astray. But let’s be fair, he’s not the only one guilty of such things.

Having him around the club I do see as a good thing. He opens different channels overseas; he has experience and has been coached at the top level, which is great to have in the organisation. I’d rather have it than not. Bridges coming on instead of a Joey Gibbs for Emile Heskey, maybe I don’t think that’s the best call. But again, that’s not Bridges decision – is it?

I’m disappointed in some of the comments on this site that people would even consider pre-meditating going to a game to boo our own player. I certainly won’t be. Instead I’ll be saving my voice to boo the OPPOSITION players like Mark Bridge, Youssef Hersi, Dean Heffernan and Shannon Cole.

Heff in particular, what a frigg'n hacker that cock is.

Smeezyy
29-01-2014, 10:55 AM

We need more of this!

I'm probably the biggest supporter of Bridgey than anyone, but if he started a couple and had a shit passing percentage and gave the ball away more often than not, i'd be happy to see him go, but for me, he hasn't had the chance to prove he isn't past it.

And don't think I just blindly love him either, last season in our last game against WSW, he was woeful. Worst performance of his ive see, and I was happy to see him off after about 60 minutes.

Why don't we just hold our judgment for when he inevitably starts games in a couple weeks time, because I clearly remember several people on this forum eating humble pie when he almost single handedly saved our season last year.

pv4
29-01-2014, 11:03 AM
What warrants Bridges' starting selection, when he has been so evidently awful in the chances he's been given this year so far?

What has Joey Gibbs had, 1 sub appearance? For 1 goal? Where is the "inevitably going to start", "deserves more chances", etc for him?

It may be a crazy thought, but if a fringe first grader at my club is given a shot off the bench and performs poorly, then backs it up with multiple showings exactly the same, the last thought anyone in the team including the coach would be is to start the guy.

I will give you guys one thing though - Bridges starting WILL be interesting. I'd say he'd be more suited to playing against more tired legs, rather than playing against fresh legs, but that's just me.

pv4
29-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Bridges coming on instead of a Joey Gibbs for Emile Heskey, maybe I don’t think that’s the best call. But again, that’s not Bridges decision – is it?

You're talking about our assistant coach, right?

leftrightout
29-01-2014, 11:15 AM
PV4 with a good point this time. Bridges hasnt been great coming on, fair enough he "isn't getting much of a chance" but he is still getting a chance and is struggling to do anything. If he wants a starting spot he needs to come on in one of his 15 minute chances and make an impact. Until then he doesnt necessarily deserve to start.
In saying that who in the squad does deserve it after the last few weeks? I think only MFKS can answer that!

Nice to actually see some decent points being bought up for and against though, when it comes to Bridges its usually just a slinging match of people putting down other peoples opinions on football.

Jeterpool
29-01-2014, 11:16 AM
What warrants Bridges' starting selection, when he has been so evidently awful in the chances he's been given this year so far?

What has Joey Gibbs had, 1 sub appearance? For 1 goal? Where is the "inevitably going to start", "deserves more chances", etc for him?

It may be a crazy thought, but if a fringe first grader at my club is given a shot off the bench and performs poorly, then backs it up with multiple showings exactly the same, the last thought anyone in the team including the coach would be is to start the guy.

I will give you guys one thing though - Bridges starting WILL be interesting. I'd say he'd be more suited to playing against more tired legs, rather than playing against fresh legs, but that's just me.

I honestly don't think anything warrants Bridges or Joey Gibbs starting at the moment. Taggart is playing alright and is our leading scorer, Heskey is the marquee so is hardly going to be dropped and when Griff gets cleared he'll be there too. And you're right, his performances haven't warrented it. If a chance for either comes, it will be through the poor performances of those starting and Zane wanting to try something different to get a result.

I think Gibbs deserves a chance to get a run off the bench, otherwise I can see him going the way of your Chris Paynes, Marko Jesics or Jason Naidovskis - always on the fringe but never really getting a go. His one chance resulted in a goal that sealed a win.

I also agree Bridges is better against tired legs, as Gibbs with his pace would be.

Jeterpool
29-01-2014, 11:17 AM
You're talking about our assistant coach, right?

No, I was using the example from the other week against the Victory where Bridges was sent on instead of Gibbs for Heskey. GvE was still in charge.

Bridgtes was playing lone striker but I felt was dropping far too deep in that role. I felt Gibbs would have been a better option at the time. he was the only unused sub.

pv4
29-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Nice to actually see some decent points being bought up for and against though, when it comes to Bridges its usually just a slinging match of people putting down other peoples opinions on football.

This might be my incredible bias & vendetta speaking out here, but pretty much for the last calendar year if you look through most Bridges arguments, I think you'll find the anti-Bridges people (mostly me) are bringing up evidence, statistics, and thought-out arguments whereas it has been your Bridges Brigade (usually led by 2bobs) who have been the ones slinging the "you know nothing about football" or "yeah but he looks good on tv" and various other unrelated and unconcstructive thoughts. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but am even more happy for everyone to re-realise this.

pv4
29-01-2014, 11:23 AM
I also agree Bridges is better against tired legs

Which is IMO even more reason to question what starting him would bring to the team when he can't perform against the tired legs each week.

Jeterpool
29-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Which is IMO even more reason to question what starting him would bring to the team when he can't perform against the tired legs each week.

My original point wasn't about Bridges starting, it was about pre-meditated booing.

I'm not calling for him to start at this stage, but I'm not against it either. I can see your point and where you are coming from. I want the coach to do what he thinks will win us the game because he sees them train each week.

q-money
29-01-2014, 11:58 AM
why is he a professional footballer if he only looks good against "tired legs"

what an absurd concept

brown is also terrible so take that dog-whistlers. never boo yer own player but jesus wept get ****ing real. these blokes are legit fishing floats, bobbing around in a sea of mediocrity.

Jeterpool
29-01-2014, 12:03 PM
why is he a professional footballer if he only looks good against "tired legs"

what an absurd concept

brown is also terrible so take that dog-whistlers. never boo yer own player but jesus wept get ****ing real. these blokes are legit fishing floats, bobbing around in a sea of mediocrity.

You pay your money so you can do what you like.

I just don't get why we as fans would boo our own player instead of giving it to the opposition players.

hawk
29-01-2014, 12:19 PM
You pay your money so you can do what you like.

I just don't get why we as fans would boo our own player instead of giving it to the opposition players.

cause you pay your money and boo mediocrity I suppose.

q-money
29-01-2014, 12:22 PM
what a sad state of affairs when we are talking about the relative merits of boo-ing this player over that player

why has it got to this in the first place ffs

probably the squadron and their f*cking drums fault

pv4
29-01-2014, 12:28 PM
If we were more like the rbb none of this would have happened

Jeterpool
29-01-2014, 12:34 PM
what a sad state of affairs when we are talking about the relative merits of boo-ing this player over that player

why has it got to this in the first place ffs

probably the squadron and their f*cking drums fault

Q, I see it more about picking the s**t out of our own players when we should be focussing that energy on creating a hostile atmosphere for the opposition. Perhaps it's got a bit out of hand. I was trying to provide an alternative point of view and I feel that's been taken on board.

If we were more like the rbb none of this would have happened

this..../thread.

Grimario
29-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Q, I see it more about picking the s**t out of our own players when we should be focussing that energy on creating a hostile atmosphere for the opposition. Perhaps it's got a bit out of hand. I was trying to provide an alternative point of view and I feel that's been taken on board.

You're still wrong though ;)

pudy
29-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Depressing thread. Been a supporter since day dot and I don't recall this much negativity and low morale. Ever think it might rub off on the team?

FFS, get behind the boys this weekend because it's a massive opportunity for them to turn things around, and don't worry about which players "deserve" to be booed etc.

stormypete
29-01-2014, 12:45 PM

+1 ... great post

pv4
29-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Depressing club

ftfy

Hunter403
29-01-2014, 12:52 PM

Well argued. I agree with your point of view completely

pudy
29-01-2014, 12:56 PM
ftfy

Doesn't have to be that way.. we've got a lot to be proud of.

q-money
29-01-2014, 01:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luJlJkaJ0tI

parksey
29-01-2014, 01:31 PM
i very rarely boo our players

mostly i just laugh at them

not sure what is worse

Pico
29-01-2014, 01:33 PM
FFS, get behind the boys this weekend because it's a massive opportunity for them to turn things

If I had a Michael Bridges for every time I have heard this line... I'd have too many Bridges then bench spots.

Why are we constantly needing to turn things around, shouldn't our game breaking, creative mid who's apparently bashing the door down for more minutes / a starting spot already be contributing to turning things around. Maybe just maybe it's because this club has not only reached new lows as far a player recruitment and output but they have gladly accepted this depressing level of mediocrity.

FFS our ambition is measured by our desire to finish in the lowest 45% of our league...really is that it.

Why have we not recruited better visa players, why have we not got adequate cover for our right & left backs why have we not even got an actual left back on our books, why does this club insist on playing players out of position, why is a 35 yr old retiree seen as our only "impact" player ( & when exactly is he going to start producing this impact on games), why don't consistent youth performances warrant rewards, why are we so incompetent when it comes to transfers, why is it still a case of jobs for the boys, why are essentially rookie coaches being thrown to the wolves, where is the overall strategy, where is the structures' professional club we were told we were going to get.... but hey lets not ask questions, people might take offence at one of them. Let's not strive for anything greater then watching under performing players demand they want extra minutes, cause they are nice blokes or can do an occasional back heel or can camp around the corner flag on command.

Bridges is not the sole problem, but he is ticking a hell of a lot of my boxes of grievances with how the club is being run at the moment and I'm not just going to sit in the corner and pretend its not happening.

pv4
29-01-2014, 01:57 PM
We should all quote Pico's post and put a "+1" or "I agree" next to it. It'll make all other opinions invalid, and help show the world how much of a truthbomb it was :rof:

How good is it that our club has one of the worst performing players of this season in the league & we have a bunch of fans actively attempting to argue his way onto the field for more game time :rof:

Tommyjet
29-01-2014, 01:59 PM
If I had a Michael Bridges for every time I have heard this line... I'd have too many Bridges then bench spots.

Why are we constantly needing to turn things around, shouldn't our game breaking, creative mid who's apparently bashing the door down for more minutes / a starting spot already be contributing to turning things around. Maybe just maybe it's because this club has not only reached new lows as far a player recruitment and output but they have gladly accepted this depressing level of mediocrity.

FFS our ambition is measured by our desire to finish in the lowest 45% of our league...really is that it.

Why have we not recruited better visa players, why have we not got adequate cover for our right & left backs why have we not even got an actual left back on our books, why does this club insist on playing players out of position, why is a 35 yr old retiree seen as our only "impact" player ( & when exactly is he going to start producing this impact on games), why don't consistent youth performances warrant rewards, why are we so incompetent when it comes to transfers, why is it still a case of jobs for the boys, why are essentially rookie coaches being thrown to the wolves, where is the overall strategy, where is the structures' professional club we were told we were going to get.... but hey lets not ask questions, people might take offence at one of them. Let's not strive for anything greater then watching under performing players demand they want extra minutes, cause they are nice blokes or can do an occasional back heel or can camp around the corner flag on command.

Bridges is not the sole problem, but he is ticking a hell of a lot of my boxes of grievances with how the club is being run at the moment and I'm not just going to sit in the corner and pretend its not happening.

What he said

Premy
29-01-2014, 02:48 PM

Only cause PV4 told me too.
IMO Bridges will always get my respect (much like Lucas Neill with the national team) the bloke needs to realize his time is up (the send off he got in Sydney last season should of been a big hint for him). If his going to be a good Manager he needs to learn how to make decisions that are for the benefit of the Club not himself.

belchardo
29-01-2014, 02:48 PM

pico: Newcastlefootball.net's Churchill.

http://sekcastillohistory20.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/churchill.jpg

by the way, +1,000,000

leftrightout
29-01-2014, 03:00 PM

This to me is the biggest problem our club and the league has. A successful season is possibly finishing in the bottom half of the league that is ruled by a salary cap.
Top 6 in a 10 team comp is a complete joke and to then have clubs aim for the season to purely be in that 6 is even worse.
Every single team should come out year after year thinking they are a shot at the top 2.

I just cannot see why people sit here and blame the players and plan to boo the players. The fact is the club has put a squad together which is just not of a good enough overall standard.
In saying that, i think majority of our players are certainly a-league level, the problem is we lack of those couple of players with extra quality that other teams seems to have (broich, milligan, berisha, spiranovic, hernandez, miller, carusca etc)

pudy
29-01-2014, 03:05 PM

Great post. I think everyone passionate about the club is hurting at the moment, and of course there will be boos and jeers from some, and some will grind their teeth whilst trying to stay patient. My only qualm is that there seems to be overkill on the threads and posts on the foz aimed at continually bagging individual players.

Grimario
29-01-2014, 03:12 PM

+1
What he said.
IAWTC
Vote 1 Pico

De-Champ
29-01-2014, 03:49 PM
This to me is the biggest problem our club and the league has. A successful season is possibly finishing in the bottom half of the league that is ruled by a salary cap.
Top 6 in a 10 team comp is a complete joke and to then have clubs aim for the season to purely be in that 6 is even worse.
Every single team should come out year after year thinking they are a shot at the top 2.

I just cannot see why people sit here and blame the players and plan to boo the players. The fact is the club has put a squad together which is just not of a good enough overall standard.
In saying that, i think majority of our players are certainly a-league level, the problem is we lack of those couple of players with extra quality that other teams seems to have (broich, milligan, berisha, spiranovic, hernandez, miller, carusca etc)

One of the reasons why reaching the top 6, or 6th place is viewed as an achievement, is because of the importance placed on the grand final. You can win the grand final, which is a bigger achievement is Australia than winning the league, by finishing in 6th spot. ( I do not know if that has been achieved in the A League) In that regard why come 1st or second, when 6th us just as good.

selassie
29-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Why have we not recruited better visa players, why have we not got adequate cover for our right & left backs why have we not even got an actual left back on our books, why does this club insist on playing players out of position
because cash. we don't have enough people handing over money for what the club is selling. everyone should take some personal responsibility for this.

MFKS
29-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Absolutely great to see some serious passionate debate about our club.

Whilst we are shit and mediocre it is glad to see so many C Bombs F Bombing Care

Shame this passion isn't reflected in our players and admin.

Taylor Regan Hooley and Griffo excused

Thomas477
29-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Wrt the visa spots, Baartzy and Middleby themselves said its not just the coach who signs the players. IMO, while baartz and Middleby in particular are in charge of our club we will NEVER be successful.

Lets just face it, the lunatics are running the asylum, and it shows.

29-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Wrt the visa spots, Baartzy and Middleby themselves said its not just the coach who signs the players. IMO, while baartz and Middleby in particular are in charge of our club we will NEVER be successful.

Dead right even though criticism of Baartz may draw the evil eye from some quarters. I don't know if he is hired help or free help but nonetheless it still needs to be good help. He also has been a party to some monumental cock up decisions.

joel31
29-01-2014, 05:22 PM

The Football Operations Manager Nick DeLuca has some input into signing players. He does a lot of the negotiations with players.

leftrightout
29-01-2014, 08:00 PM
This conversation is so good I haven't checked the sheep quiz or gone through the tennis thread all arvo!

MFKS
29-01-2014, 08:07 PM
This conversation is so good I haven't checked the sheep quiz or gone through the tennis thread all arvo!

It is exactly how the Foz should be

Quality passionate debate on subjects.

Whether we agree or not is irrelevant. Life isn't one great circle jerk. Nor should opinions on our club be

MFKS
29-01-2014, 08:15 PM

Reading David Lowe's blog yesterday on the Herald Website someone brought up recruitment at the Jets. Lowey admitted that although he was employed as a Recruitment Manager he had **** all to do with the recruitment for the first team.

Seems rather alarming that a bloke being paid to do recruiting for the club had little input on first team recruiting. I would assume GVE had a big say but who were the others involved in these decisions??

Doesn't seem to me like a job at all for RM or TP.

They should be doing the contracts and negotiations with players and organising the little things properly like F Bombing Clearances for players (Hello Griffo)

Jeterpool
29-01-2014, 08:17 PM
It is exactly how the Foz should be

Quality passionate debate on subjects.

Whether we agree or not is irrelevant. Life isn't one great circle jerk. Nor should opinions on our club be

Good post member

Thomas477
29-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Reading David Lowe's blog yesterday on the Herald Website someone brought up recruitment at the Jets. Lowey admitted that although he was employed as a Recruitment Manager he had **** all to do with the recruitment for the first team.

Seems rather alarming that a bloke being paid to do recruiting for the club had little input on first team recruiting. I would assume GVE had a big say but who were the others involved in these decisions??

Doesn't seem to me like a job at all for RM or TP.

They should be doing the contracts and negotiations with players and organising the little things properly like F Bombing Clearances for players (Hello Griffo)

Middleby said in that video from last week that signing a player requires approval from the coach, RM, RB, TP (what the **** he has to do with it is beyond me) etc. The fact that the coach can't say I want Berisha, get him CEO, without everyone having their two bobs worth will explain why it TAKES ****ING FOREVER for any of our contract and transfer business.

This returns to my original point, it starts at the top, and Middleby is the bigger issue the club is facing, as opposed to Bridges.

The chants should be Middleby Out.

MFKS
29-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Middleby said in that video from last week that signing a player requires approval from the coach, RM, RB, TP (what the **** he has to do with it is beyond me) etc. The fact that the coach can't say I want Berisha, get him CEO, without everyone having their two bobs worth will explain why it TAKES ****ING FOREVER for any of our contract and transfer business.

This returns to my original point, it starts at the top, and Middleby is the bigger issue the club is facing, as opposed to Bridges.

The only thing that TP or RM should be contributing to the cause is this
How much money is available in the salary cap
How long do you want to sign him ideally for
How much do you think he is worth.

Neither of these blokes should have any say at all on discussing the merits of said players skills or how they fit into the tactics/formation/club

F Bomb ING SIMPLE REALLY

After they get feedback from the coach then they go off and do the negotiations, arrange a F BOMBING Clearance and a proper F Bomb ING Medical and then pick the C Bomb up from the airport and drop him at Ray Watt

stopper2
29-01-2014, 09:40 PM
I know the years under Con were a rollercoaster road riddled with instability but 4 out of those 5 years we made the finals, with 3 of those 5 years finishing amongst the top four.
I think at the time we underestimated the knowledge of guys like Remo had in putting together a football team and the passion Con had for the game and his team. Yes, they stuffed up a lot of the time (the debacle after the GF win) but at least on the field for the majority of those years we had a team to be proud of.
In our fourth season now under HSG we have just stagnated as a club

MFKS
29-01-2014, 09:42 PM
I know the years under Con were a rollercoaster road riddled with instability but 4 out of those 5 years we made the finals, with 3 of those 5 years finishing amongst the top four.
I think at the time we underestimated the knowledge of guys like Remo had in putting together a football team and the passion Con had for the game and his team. Yes, they stuffed up a lot of the time (the debacle after the GF win) but at least on the field for the majority of those years we had a team to be proud of.
In our fourth season now under HSG we have just stagnated as a club

Stagnated or Regressed???

I feel we are actually going backwards more than anything.

Decisions being made are just bizarre

Thomas477
29-01-2014, 10:35 PM
CON IN!!!

At least when he screwed us over we knew he thought it was best for the club, not just due to pure incompetence.

plague
29-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Middleby is the bigger issue the club is facing, as opposed to Bridges.

I love you Thomas.

seldom
29-01-2014, 11:41 PM
imo bridges will always get my respect (much like lucas neill with the national team) the bloke needs to realize his time is up (the send off he got in sydney last season should of been a big hint for him). If his going to be a good manager he needs to learn how to make decisions that are for the benefit of the club not himself.

^^this

halo se7en
30-01-2014, 07:33 PM
One of the reasons why reaching the top 6, or 6th place is viewed as an achievement, is because of the importance placed on the grand final. You can win the grand final, which is a bigger achievement is Australia than winning the league, by finishing in 6th spot. ( I do not know if that has been achieved in the A League) In that regard why come 1st or second, when 6th us just as good.

No, 6th hasn't. As far as I can remember, only once has a team who didn't finish 1st or 2nd go on to win. I think Sydney came 3rd the year they went down to Melbourne and won the GF in a shootout. So the finals series still has value, and the best teams are usually left to compete at the end. Imagine what these seasons would become if it was first past the post?? Everyone outside of Brisbane and West Sydney would have deserted the comp 2 months ago.

MFKS
30-01-2014, 07:38 PM
No, 6th hasn't. As far as I can remember, only once has a team who didn't finish 1st or 2nd go on to win. I think Sydney came 3rd the year they went down to Melbourne and won the GF in a shootout. So the finals series still has value, and the best teams are usually left to compete at the end. Imagine what these seasons would become if it was first past the post?? Everyone outside of Brisbane and West Sydney would have deserted the comp 2 months ago.

GF Winner has always been the team that finished 1st or 2nd.

A couple of teams have made GF from 3rd but haven't won it

militiamon
09-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Michelle Bridges > Michael Bridges

Please, retire with dignity.

Pico
09-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Michelle Bridges > Michael Bridges

its too late for that now.

joel31
09-02-2014, 10:24 PM
He took too many unnecessary touches when in possession

GazFish35
09-02-2014, 10:33 PM
There's only one Michael bridges
One Michael bridges
He fits under the cap
'cos he's totally crap
I wish he just **** off and run his bar.

pv4
09-02-2014, 10:46 PM

My thoughts exactly. He did that, and all was good. Then he came out of retirement, and fxxxed it all up.

Dude was aids tonight. Esad anyone who says "he tries hard" etc - the dude walked when he came on. Only ball he played tk feet was to Taggz, who the two defenders let run and opened up because they knew he was offside.

Bridges needs to have his contract torn up. Whichever CEO or coach does it has my respect for life

militiamon
09-02-2014, 10:54 PM
That ball he received out on the left with plenty of space, took a heavy tough, gave it away, and then fouled the player - that was just some horrible shit to watch.

Btw, does anyone else watch what Bridges is doing and think about how pv4 would be reacting to it all? :yap:

pv4
09-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Btw, does anyone else watch what Bridges is doing and think about how pv4 would be reacting to it all? :yap:

:rof: whenever I hear that cheer when he is subbed on, I just have this vision in my head on 2bobs & all his Griff-hating mates somewhere on the family-friendly hill, involved in this giant circle jerk

MFKS
09-02-2014, 10:58 PM

I wouldn't ever try to get into seeing things through the eyes of a Gypo.

Farking dangerous

seldom
10-02-2014, 02:22 AM
still not sure why Bridges was made assistant coach while still playing....makes the club look somewhat amateur. Wonder if he pushes his own barrow on the sideline

Thomas477
10-02-2014, 06:35 AM
He took too many unnecessary touches when in possession

And that's only specific to him? The whole ****ing team is taking too many touches.

belchardo
10-02-2014, 07:51 AM

yep. every time bridges comes on I imagine pv4 diving into his bag with glee to get his clipboard and pens (he would have multiple pens to guard against malfunctioning ink). on the clipboard is a number of key areas that pv4 monitors (like passes, touches, tackles, shots) and two columns on the effectiveness of each (one for good, one for bad). then there is a row of faces along the bottom of the page ranging from axe-murderingly angry to rapturous angels with which he can rate his performance.

I imagine he has a spreadsheet at home to track all of his stats with lots of informative charts as well.

:D

lquiquer
13-02-2014, 02:44 PM
#JetsInsider Ask Micky a question

pv4
13-02-2014, 03:25 PM
#JetsInsider Ask Micky a question

Do nae have twitter. Can someone ask these for me?

1. Have you been disappointed with your personal possession retention rate on the field this season?
2. Now that you are an assistant coach, if the Head Coach is planning to bring you on as a substitute do you feel like you are in a position to say "no, don't bring me on because it is a bad idea. Bring the young player with his whole career in front of him on instead. He'll make the same, or more, impact that I would. The future of that young players career as well as the club will be better off for it"?
3. Have you felt that since Ljubo Milicevic left the club that the squad has felt somewhat lifeless?
4. Have you ever considered removing yourself from the playing squad, particularly at times when bringing in new recruits have been impossible due to already meeting the squad allocation quota?
5. Is it difficult to focus on doing well on the field when you know that the majority of the fans of the club think you are one of the least effective and useless players to currently play in the league?
6. When was the last time you headed the ball?
7. Out of the numerous options to choose from, which time when you passed the ball to the opposition would you say is the most memorable for you?
8. What would you say is worse - your on-field form or your dress sense?
9. Do many members of the squad talk about how much they miss having Ljubo Milicevic around at the club?
10. Do you follow Ljubo Milicevic's instagram?
11. How many times have the club discussed with you a mutual termination of your playing contract?
12. When Gary van Egmond was sacked, did you consider retiring from your playing career at the same time to save the club needing to hold two press conferences?

Grimario
13-02-2014, 03:31 PM
110 characters. I am asking away for you buddy, as long as you promise to keep the disc golfing up with all the amazing new stuff going on there.

Have done 1, 3 and 8 for you.

MFKS
13-02-2014, 09:38 PM

1. Have you been disappointed with your personal possession retention rate on the field this season?
2. Now that you are an assistant coach, if the Head Coach is planning to bring you on as a substitute do you feel like you are in a position to say "no, don't bring me on because it is a bad idea. Bring the young player with his whole career in front of him on instead. He'll make the same, or more, impact that I would. The future of that young players career as well as the club will be better off for it"?
3. Have you felt that since Ljubo Milicevic left the club that the squad has felt somewhat lifeless?
4. Have you ever considered removing yourself from the playing squad, particularly at times when bringing in new recruits have been impossible due to already meeting the squad allocation quota?
5. Is it difficult to focus on doing well on the field when you know that the majority of the fans of the club think you are one of the least effective and useless players to currently play in the league?
7. Out of the numerous options to choose from, which time when you passed the ball to the opposition would you say is the most memorable for you?
9. Do many members of the squad talk about how much they miss having Ljubo Milicevic around at the club?
11. How many times have the club discussed with you a mutual termination of your playing contract?
12. When Gary van Egmond was sacked, did you consider retiring from your playing career at the same time to save the club needing to hold two press conferences?

Some of your finest work WLG :roflz::pissup:

plague
14-02-2014, 01:03 PM

5 star snark.
Excellent.

Skirt Boy
14-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Ten bucks if he wasn't a Spurs fan you guys would be fapping to him as much as Griffo.

Disgrace.

joel31
14-02-2014, 05:44 PM
didn't answer any of those qs

JETS INSIDER - Michael Bridges

In this week's edition of Jets Insider, Michael Bridges answered questions submitted by the Club's Members and supporters.

Bridges discusses his new role as assistant coach, the Jets' current form and his tip to win the English Premier League this season.

Ryan Johnson asks via email: How are you finding the new role and juggling the coaching side of things with playing?

MB: It’s a bit of a learning process at the moment, but being that link between the players and the coaching staff is something that I’m really enjoying.

I’ve been working with the strikers on a more one-on-one basis and obviously discussing formations and the way we want to structure ourselves with Clayton (Zane) and Craig (Deans).

I’m slowly adapting to it and it can be tough on game days to balance both roles, but that’s why it’s great have Clayton and Craig there as well.

@tommyjet626 asks via Twitter: Do you think prospective managers should spend at least 5 years at a lesser level or assistant before taking on the top gig?

MB: If you look at someone like Tony Popovic, he didn’t spend a great deal of time as an assistant before taking on the job at the Wanderers.

He knows the games inside and out, so he’s been able to come straight into that role, stamp his authority and do a fantastic job.

At the end of the day it comes down to finding your niche and being able to manage the team and the type players that you have.

For some people that means working as an assistant coach, for others it’s coaching youth players, and then there’s obviously some who are best suited to being a head coach.

You can do as many coaching courses and licenses as you like, but you have to be able to find your niche as a coach and stick to what you’re good at.

Ray Bryant asks via email: How do you keep the squad positive during a tough run like this?

MB: I think the key is just trying to make training as enjoyable as possible. It’s important not to let things become to routine, mundane and boring during the week otherwise the mood amongst the boys will reflect that.

We’re still in with a massive chance of making the top six. We’re only a few points outside the playoffs at the moment and with hard work and a positive attitude we’ll give ourselves every chance of being their at the end of the season.

Nathan Smith asks via email: Is it too big an ask for us to beat Brisbane three times in one season?

MB: Not at all. We know what we’re capable of against them and we always give them a tough game whether it’s home or away.

We’re Brisbane’s bogey team and I’m sure that will be in the back of their mind, so we’ll go there with confidence and a good attitude knowing that we’ve done it before and we’re more than capable of doing it again.

@boomshanka1976 asks via Twitter: Would you take on the manager's job next season if it was offered to you?

MB: At present I’m Clayton Zane’s assistant manager along with Craig Deans and we’re going to do everything in our power help him finish this season strongly, so he can make the job his own going forward.

Clayton’s manner and the way he interacts with his players is first class and I think he’s done a really good job since he’s come into the role, so hopefully the results will start to reflect that soon.

@soccer_joel asks via Twitter: How do you rate your performances this season?

MB: Obviously I would have liked to have played more minutes, but that hasn’t been the case so far due to different circumstances.

In saying that, every time I get on the park I’m always looking to perform and do my best for the team. I try to bring a bit of creativity and excitement with the way I play and hopefully the fans appreciate that.

Jasmine Fitzgerald asks via email: Who do you think is going to win the EPL this season and why?

MB: I’d love to say Tottenham because that’s my team, but I think they’re probably out of the race now.

Instead I’m going to have to say Liverpool because I think they’re starting to time their run nicely at the business end of the season.

They’ve got a lot of quality individuals and a great manager in Brendan Rogers who has done a fantastic job of implementing by his vision and philosophy from his days at Swansea.

It’s so close at the top there and I think this is going to be the most exciting run-in to the end of the season that we’ve seen with so many contenders in the mix.

Aaron Green asks via email: What’s the key for us to make the top six?

MB: Don’t lose games, as simple as that. We just need a consistent run of good results from now until the end of the season and once you’re in that Finals Series it’s anybody’s game.

@pbrown23 asks via Twitter: What was your venue of choice down Call Lane in the glory days at Leeds?

MB: Purple Door.

Thanks for all your Jets Insider questions! Make sure you follow @NewcastleJetsFC on Twitter to find out who will be in the hot seat next week.

WolfMan
14-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Ten bucks if he wasn't a Spurs fan you guys would be fapping to him as much as Griffo.

Disgrace.

A Spurs fan giving away money? Wonders will never cease...

parksey
14-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Liverpool to win the league lol

Beeen
14-02-2014, 06:37 PM
I'm glad the key for us to make the top six is simply to not lose games.

MFKS
14-02-2014, 06:48 PM
I'm glad the key for us to make the top six is simply to not lose games.
So a pile of draws will do it??? :wacko:

GazFish35
14-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Since when is passing the ball to other team creative? Not sure it excites many fans either.

My2BobsWorth
14-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Gaylord and Gaz talking shit while we get the wooden spoon. Many new recruits for the squadron:lol:

lquiquer
14-02-2014, 07:47 PM
can't c my question?..... only asked if it was time to come and sit with the fans?

Tommyjet
14-02-2014, 08:22 PM
can't c my question?..... only asked if it was time to come and sit with the fans?

I had about 5 questions that asked that in various ways not answered

joel31
14-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Gaylord and Gaz talking shit while we get the wooden spoon. Many new recruits for the squadron:lol:
who are u calling Gaylord?

lquiquer
14-02-2014, 10:17 PM
I had about 5 questions that asked that in various ways not answered

Poor PV4 had 12!!!!

lquiquer
14-02-2014, 10:17 PM
He still think he is good!!!!

joel31
14-02-2014, 10:18 PM
He still think he is good!!!!
if he didn't, he would have retired by now

GazFish35
14-02-2014, 10:42 PM

You're not keen on letting this go are you?
Some like him, others don't.

I don't rate his contribution to the squad, I assume you do.

Do we really need to resort to name calling?

MFKS
15-02-2014, 12:48 AM
Do we really need to resort to name calling?

Apparently we do

la bazzle
15-02-2014, 03:01 AM
Gaylord lololol cop it sweet

GazFish35
15-02-2014, 08:18 AM
According to urban dictionary Gaylord is the ultimate insult, one that nothing can match...... I had to look it up as I'd not heard it since 1986 when two mates had a falling out about footy cards in primary school.

pistolpete
15-02-2014, 08:30 AM
My mates son came up with a new one that I quite like...fagballs

pv4
15-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Poor PV4 had 12!!!!

:(

Beeen
15-02-2014, 10:58 AM
So a pile of draws will do it??? :wacko:

You know thats what he plays for, going to the corners and all.

Blackmac79
15-02-2014, 11:07 AM

We have over doubled our number of paid up members to reach levels of membership not seen since 2008. Must be doing something right.

Forza squadron.

Further to this the squadron are consistently providing new services for the supporter community like our buses.

Our move to bay60 has been a huge success with many new faces in and around the bay.

We have become more open and transparent, innovations like our tifo open day which was considered a success at involving new faces in our game-day tifo support.

add to all of this our strong current financial situation.

Forza Squadron.

Premy
15-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Gaylord talking shit while we get the wooden spoon.:lol:
Wasn't he in meet the parent's?

plague
15-02-2014, 06:10 PM

What? Gaylord Perry, the 5 time All-star, 2 time Cy Young winner, Hall of Famer and member of the 300 club is now on the Foz?
Geez we are attracting the big names now arent we.
Can you get his autograph for me 2BW?

russjaybee
16-02-2014, 08:04 AM
Bunch of G'lords up in hurrrrrr

GazFish35
16-02-2014, 08:54 AM
http://bit.ly/NQD8BN

Tommyjet
16-02-2014, 11:45 AM
http://bit.ly/NQD8BN

Oh but but he but he... Sorry got nothing to help those pro-bridges numpties

Buddha
17-02-2014, 10:04 PM
I actually think Michelle Bridges would probably be more useful coming off the bench then him.

plague
25-03-2014, 09:06 AM
Ok, here's the bit that annoys me abt Bridges.
In the lead up to Taggz 2nd goal, him and Goodwin are over on the sideline and it's a bit scrappy, Bridges then does a really lovely flick over his head to get away from the defender and regain control.
Then Goodwin makes a run to the top corner of the box, leaving Bridges a simple 15 yard pass to an unmarked man that would then leave a 2 on 2 situation in the box with Goody and Taggz.
Instead Bridges looks up and tries the glory ball into Taggart (who had 2 on him) instead of the simple ball. It was mis-hit and through Taggarts effort (and some divine intervention from Griff) he ended up scoring.
I still can't get past the fact that he once again took the difficult option instead of playing simple football.
Great when it comes off, frustrating when it doesn't. On the weekend I think we saw both.

MFKS
25-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Ok, here's the bit that annoys me abt Bridges.
In the lead up to Taggz 2nd goal, him and Goodwin are over on the sideline and it's a bit scrappy, Bridges then does a really lovely flick over his head to get away from the defender and regain control.
Then Goodwin makes a run to the top corner of the box, leaving Bridges a simple 15 yard pass to an unmarked man that would then leave a 2 on 2 situation in the box with Goody and Taggz.
Instead Bridges looks up and tries the glory ball into Taggart (who had 2 on him) instead of the simple ball. It was mis-hit and through Taggarts effort (and some divine intervention from Griff) he ended up scoring.
I still can't get past the fact that he once again took the difficult option instead of playing simple football.
Great when it comes off, frustrating when it doesn't. On the weekend I think we saw both.

What shits me most about Bridges was walking away from the ground and listening to people fapping about how good he is and asking why he ain't in the team permanently.

Other than the fancy little flick before the Gallaway like cross and the deflected goal some are falsely blaming him for despite it being Griffos wondergoal the bloke done nothing all night.

2 Mins in he stopped running. Numerous times he failed to play the simple ball particularly when Griff had busted a lung to burst forward and was in wide open real estate and no Bridges tried playing some miracle ball to Taggz who even if it had of got to him would have had to deal with 2-3 defenders. Rest of the 30 mins what did he achieve?? NOTHING

What is even more disgraceful is why was he even on there at all?? 3-0 up 30 mins to go and the best sub we could have made was Oxborrow on and give him some solid game time with no pressure. No we get this bloke.

What is even more baffling considering Bridges penchant for not running much is that with Carney/Griffo still searching for 90minute level fitness why have so many blokes out there struggling for legs as the game ticked towards the end and still carry this bloke???

Zads/Roundabout were also getting fatigued and as a result for the last 25-30 mins of the game even though we stayed defensively solid we lost control of the game and allowed far too much possession and field position to Phoenix. We needed reinforcements in the middle of the park to maintain control of the game and with Oxborrow/Kanta on the bench reinforcements were there but not deployed to allow this show pony another hurrah.

****ing DIS GRACE

leftrightout
25-03-2014, 10:21 AM
I actually heard the whole MH370 thing is bridges fault.... but its yet to be confirmed, i guess?

Seriously though, did anyone see him on Foxsports show Sunday Shootout? His words were something along the lines of "it was a nice one to finish up on" i also think Zane said something similar in his press conference?

belchardo
25-03-2014, 11:05 AM
assuming they mean "finish the game on"

GazFish35
25-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Seriously though, did anyone see him on Foxsports show Sunday Shootout? His words were something along the lines of "it was a nice one to finish up on" i also think Zane said something similar in his press conference?

i thought that too.

when zane said it in the presser you can almost see him thinking "oh bugger, i just told the world he's about to retire" but a split second later you can see him thining "of **** it, hes done it before, its like he's John Farnham"

plague
25-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Seriously though, did anyone see him on Foxsports show Sunday Shootout? His words were something along the lines of "it was a nice one to finish up on"

Correct.
Adam Peacock then asked if he was announcing his retirement and he said "yeah why not".
Hopefully the club has given him a chance to retire (rather than be released) and he can get his cameo/lap of honour in the last home game and we can put it all behind us.
Regardless of his on field form I think he's deserved some recognition from the club.
Honouring retiring players and ones moving clubs Is something our club in the past has had some real problems with.

plague
25-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Oh and leftrightout Tony Abbott is to blame for the plane crashing.
Didn't you see the hippy douchebags and their signs on their little sook fest the other weekend?

Premy
25-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Correct.
Adam Peacock then asked if he was announcing his retirement and he said "yeah why not".
Hopefully the club has given him a chance to retire (rather than be released) and he can get his cameo/lap of honour in the last home game and we can put it all behind us.
Regardless of his on field form I think he's deserved some recognition from the club.
Honouring retiring players and ones moving clubs Is something our club in the past has had some real problems with.

I'm with you on this sentiment, I've been one of his biggest critic's this year (although I did belt out "one Michael Bridges" at the top of my lungs at Sydney last year) he deserves a good send of even if it Is his 3rd one.

MFKS
25-03-2014, 12:20 PM
I'm with you on this sentiment, I've been one of his biggest critic's this year (although I did belt out "one Michael Bridges" at the top of my lungs at Sydney last year) he deserves a good send of even if it Is his 3rd one.

Why does he deserve a good send off??

The bloke has achieved very little at our club and you could argue his career has been nowhere near as good as it could have been when he arrived on the scene as a youngster at Sunderland.

Other than being a good bloke shit what exactly about him makes him special???

plague
25-03-2014, 12:31 PM

The bloke has achieved very little at our club and you could argue his career has been nowhere near as good as it could have been when he arrived on the scene as a youngster at Sunderland.

Because I think that ALL players with any level of profile at our club (be it top flight games, long service or just memorable moments Songy yewwwwwwwww) should be acknowledged. Should either happen at their last home game (if we know he's going) or 1st game back if playing for any club other than the Gypos.
That means blokes like Stu, Tarek, Covic, Fridge etc etc get some love.
It's harmless and can only enhance the club as having a bit of respect for their players instead of acting like a bunch of petulant shitcunce most of the time.

Premy
25-03-2014, 12:31 PM

Former Club Captain, scored against Smurfs and scored against Gypo's.

sammydog
25-03-2014, 07:49 PM
I actually heard the whole MH370 thing is bridges fault.... but its yet to be confirmed, i guess?

My take from the Zane presser was that it may be the last time we see Bridges. Bridges comments on TV just added weight to it.

stopper2
25-03-2014, 08:19 PM

I'm with you on this one Member. I just don't get why so many supporters place him on a pedestal as some club legend.
Griffo, Nicky Carle, Tarek, Jade North (remember him our GF winning captain), Thommo, even Jobe are all more deserving to be placed ahead of Bridges if we are to acknowledge players who played a heap of games for this club or typified what this club is about.
Zane getting interviewed mentioned how with the score at 3-0 when Bridges went on there was no pressure on him and he was able to relax more and contribute to the win!
Important goal as it was for our Goal Difference, I would rate Bridges a lot more highly if the countless times that he did come on when the game was in the balance, if just a few times he done something that turned the game to win us the points....a la Sasho Petrovski a few seasons back. Labi too, quite often came on as a sub and changed the game with an important goal (and who can forget him taking his shirt off) .....and he's still doing it with the Wanderers.
That goal that Carle scored against Adelaide in injury time when he dribbled the ball 2/3 of the field to win us the game was probably about 7 years back but I still remember it like it was yesterday because it was such a special moment that gave us an incredible win.
Bridges biggest claim to fame for his time at this club will be him scoring a spectacular volley to seal a 5-0 win!

plague
25-03-2014, 08:34 PM
I'm with you on this one Member. I just don't get why so many supporters place him on a pedestal as some club legend.
Griffo, Nicky Carle, Tarek, Jade North (remember him our GF winning captain), Thommo, even Jobe are all more deserving to be placed ahead of Bridges if we are to acknowledge players who played a heap of games for this club or typified what this club is about.

So no one should get a mention cause we didnt start it earlier.

righto then.

gotcha.

Earth still flat and all that?

MFKS
25-03-2014, 08:49 PM
So no one should get a mention cause we didnt start it earlier.

righto then.

gotcha.

Earth still flat and all that?

I see where your going with this recognition thing for players and I have no issue with it for worthy individuals

My only gripe is why start with this bloke???

He is a nobody at our club and ain't worthy enough to be the initial recipient IMHO

GazFish35
25-03-2014, 08:51 PM
I'm with plague.
If we want players to feel attached to the club and newy become known as somewhere worth coming to play then we need to do the little things to let the players know (think) we appreciate them.

There's a reason griffo plays with his heart on his sleeve, he knows we love him.

I have been a vocal bridges disliker but a send off..... Nothing massive, just a lap, isn't too ott.

hawk
25-03-2014, 09:27 PM
when players put in like Griff, zads etc supporters are more willing to cheer them. bridgy does have that passion but it is only fleeting

MFKS
25-03-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm with plague.
If we want players to feel attached to the club and newy become known as somewhere worth coming to play then we need to do the little things to let the players know (think) we appreciate them.

There's a reason griffo plays with his heart on his sleeve, he knows we love him.

I have been a vocal bridges disliker but a send off..... Nothing massive, just a lap, isn't too ott.

So any half wit who dons a Jets shirt should get a ticker tape parade??:whistling:

I take it we do one also for James Brown seeing as he will be most likely leaving. Bloke has contributed about as much as Bridges has.:wacko:

Give them out to blokes who earn it. Not halfheartedly to anyone leaving.

Takka Labi Griff Razzler Andy Roberts etc Blokes who have put in time for Newy football and earned their stripes at the club. Not any halfwit

Your sentiment is right in one regard but the blokes who get it should be worthy enough of it. Otherwise you are disrespecting the blokes who actually do earn it and are entitled to it

GazFish35
25-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Who mentioned ticker tape?

I'm talking about letting the players who arent coming back next year getting to lead the team round a lap at the end of the season.

Guys who earn more, get more, farewell tifo's, two laps, beers at tenzo etc.
As plague said we've been rubbish at dealing with players leaving, takka got two lines in press release about other players signing on FFS.

It's nearly 10 pm member, your angry pills are for the morning, its time to relax. ;)

plague
25-03-2014, 10:14 PM
So any half wit who dons a Jets shirt should get a ticker tape parade??:whistling:

I take it we do one also for James Brown seeing as he will be most likely leaving. Bloke has contributed about as much as Bridges has.:wacko:

Give them out to blokes who earn it. Not halfheartedly to anyone leaving.

Takka Labi Griff Razzler Andy Roberts etc Blokes who have put in time for Newy football and earned their stripes at the club. Not any halfwit

Your sentiment is right in one regard but the blokes who get it should be worthy enough of it. Otherwise you are disrespecting the blokes who actually do earn it and are entitled to it

So maybe Bridges, Heskey, Birazz and (hopefully) Middleby will be gone end of season.
Why not start with them?
No ticker tape, just some acknowledgement. As Mr Fish alluded to, Tarek was treated disgracefully. We can't change the past, but how bout we start now?
It's not to farkern hard to be nice you know Member.

Agreed though, 21 gun salute, fireworks, public holiday and dancing girls are minimum requirements for the day Griff goes.

pv4
26-03-2014, 06:13 AM
To be fair, against Bridges he has the whole he drove Ljubo out of the club thing. I personally will struggle to put on a smiley face for his sake when he has his farewell lap or whatever. I'm all for treating the players good etc - just as long as they don't white ant the club to begin with.

MFKS
26-03-2014, 07:35 AM
To be fair, against Bridges he has the whole he drove Ljubo out of the club thing. I personally will struggle to put on a smiley face for his sake when he has his farewell lap or whatever. I'm all for treating the players good etc - just as long as they don't white ant the club to begin with.

Be exactly the same from me

The article in the Herald this morning about the likely retirement of Bridges is cause for optimism. The bloke rubs me up the wrong way for some reason and I will not be shedding a tear for his departure. Just thankful and delighted that it is FINALLY happening. Bloke should never have been resigned last season or the season before that either

VETERAN Jets striker Michael Bridges was still glowing yesterday after his wonder strike against Wellington, but the former Leeds star conceded the clock was ticking on his A-League career.

Introduced off the bench for the final 15 minutes against the Kiwis, Bridges, 35, produced a show stopper, meeting a dipping Craig Goodwin freekick with a volley which curled off the outside of his right boot from 15metres and nestled in the far corner.

The injury-time stunner secured the Jets their biggest win and moved them into the top six, above Sydney on goal difference.

‘‘I’m not going to lie,’’ he said. ‘‘It was a one in a million opportunity.

‘‘It came across me – you practise them all the time at training and mess about – and thankfully it hit the sweet spot. It is one I will cherish.

‘‘In 20 years of football, I rate that as one of the greatest goals I have scored.’’

Bridges’s shift off the bench was his first contribution since he played eight minutes in the previous encounter against the Kiwis, a 3-2 loss, in round 18. In 11 appearances he has played 212 minutes.

‘‘I saw a few of the staff, Robbie Middleby in particular, look at me and go, ‘We are not going to talk about contracts again are we?’’’ Bridges joked.

‘‘I had a little bit of a wind-up and said, ‘I will come in and see you on Monday to negotiate a new deal.’

‘‘This will be the final one depending on what happens with the coach in the off-season. We will see how it goes.

‘‘I don’t want to hang them up yet, but it would be a nice way to bow out with that goal.’’

Jets assistant coach Craig Deans, although lauding the goal, said there were no guarantees Bridges would earn more game time against Perth at nib Stadium on Sunday.

belchardo
26-03-2014, 08:13 AM
The bloke rubs me up the wrong way for some reason

be faster to list the people that didn't rub you up the wrong way wouldn't it?

joel31
26-03-2014, 08:35 AM
Agreed though, 21 gun salute, fireworks, public holiday and dancing girls are minimum requirements for the day Griff goes.
if we are smart he'll never leave. They should promote him to manager when he retires as a player

plague
26-03-2014, 08:38 AM
The bloke rubs me up the wrong way for some reason and I will not be shedding a tear for his departure.

You do realise this isn't about you right?
You also realise that there are blokes who didn't care when Tarek and Ljubo left, or even weirdos who were glad Griff went the first time.
I'm not a fan of Bridges' on field contribution either but my comments have been about this club in general at least making an effort to show some respect to players who have worn the shirt. Maybe if the club starts putting some value and respect into it then the players might respond with a bit more of that same attitude you are always banging on about.

This is about all players, not just Bridges.
There needs to be a starting point for this kind of stuff, why not now?

plague
26-03-2014, 08:40 AM
if we are smart he'll never leave. They should promote him to manager when he retires as a player

I see your point, and raise you a Middleby.

Our club is not smart.

(Waiting for Captain Obvious to turn up).

stopper2
26-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Couple of articles in todays Herald about the Jets. Noticed this "Billy" who seems to be his #1 fan, also has a swipe at Griffo!!!.....anyone who has a dig at Griffo and puts Bridges on pedestal has no ****ing idea whatsoever.

joel31
26-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Couple of articles in todays Herald about the Jets. Noticed this "Billy" who seems to be his #1 fan, also has a swipe at Griffo!!!.....anyone who has a dig at Griffo and puts Bridges on pedestal has no ****ing idea whatsoever.
its probably 2bobs

q-money
26-03-2014, 10:17 AM
billy :rof:

MFKS
26-03-2014, 10:26 AM
its probably 2bobs

Can't be the bloke also hates on Middleby even more than Plague does.

Guaranteed multi of someones

Skirt Boy
26-03-2014, 10:44 AM

Well considering how Ljubo has faired at other clubs throughout his career you can hardly fault Bridges for putting him in his place.

plague
26-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Can't be the bloke also hates on Middleby even more than Plague does.

I don't hate Middleby.

pv4
26-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Well considering how Ljubo has faired at other clubs throughout his career you can hardly fault Bridges for putting him in his place.

Which clubs are you talking about exactly, just so I can make an informed rebuttal?

Thomas477
26-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Which clubs are you talking about exactly, just so I can make an informed rebuttal?

Victory, Glory to name a few…

But look at his career, longest time he ever spent with a club was 2 years, hardly showing his stability.

And just for the record, I'm a great fan of Ljubo, but he isn't stable.

The Dunster
26-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Ljubo doesn't get along with Kevin Muscat.

I'd call that a positive.

He left Perth when there was already a cloud of doubt surrounding the Manager about his sons contracts supposedly affording them "incentives" if they played more games.

Add to that Perth are on the bottom of the ladder.

Can't fault Ljubo for moving on in this case either.

Haidulk ran out of money and couldn't pay him so he left.

it's a job and ya gotta eat.

Ljubo was not unstable, it was the financial situation of the club.

Great player and he respects Jets fans. What more could we possibly want from a player ?

pv4
26-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Victory - a dictatorship ran by Kevin Muscat
Glory - a dictatorship ran by Jacob Burns. Plus the whole Edwards&sons thing, which the effects are still being felt.
Jerks - Branko siphoning as much money for him and his family as possible (see: Jason).

But yeah, Ljubo was the issue at all of those clubs.

Jetmaster
26-03-2014, 11:36 AM
FFS - the guy is just going to retire after a long career, end of.

Nobody at the club has suggested how this is to be acknowledged - all the suggestions are coming from here.

I thank the guy for his contribution, particularly off the field when he provided leadership in two crises - the severing of ties with Con and the license hand back. He helped ensure that there was no panic and a mass walk out of players.

On top of that he had a credible career in England, of course ruined by injury. He wants to stay in this city, has gained citizenship and put his money on the line by investing in a local business (whatever happened to the Joel Griffiths Foundation btw?)

His best playing days are long gone but I'm finding it childish that some here don't even want him to walk around the ground at the end of the season - remember what Thommo did?

If you have the balls put your faces to the sledges and have a "Good Riddance Bridgey" sign up for him at the last game as he walks past.......

cobra23
26-03-2014, 01:37 PM
FFS - the guy is just going to retire after a long career, end of.

Nobody at the club has suggested how this is to be acknowledged - all the suggestions are coming from here.

I thank the guy for his contribution, particularly off the field when he provided leadership in two crises - the severing of ties with Con and the license hand back. He helped ensure that there was no panic and a mass walk out of players.

On top of that he had a credible career in England, of course ruined by injury. He wants to stay in this city, has gained citizenship and put his money on the line by investing in a local business (whatever happened to the Joel Griffiths Foundation btw?)

His best playing days are long gone but I'm finding it childish that some here don't even want him to walk around the ground at the end of the season - remember what Thommo did?

If you have the balls put your faces to the sledges and have a "Good Riddance Bridgey" sign up for him at the last game as he walks past.......

Well Said... + 1

parksey
26-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Victory - a dictatorship ran by Kevin Muscat
Glory - a dictatorship ran by Jacob Burns. Plus the whole Edwards&sons thing, which the effects are still being felt.
Jerks - Branko siphoning as much money for him and his family as possible (see: Jason).

But yeah, Ljubo was the issue at all of those clubs.

funny how all of that only seemed to affect ljubo, though, hey.

he must just be some sort of white knight of morality.

q-money
26-03-2014, 03:21 PM
michael bridges is newcastle's greatest ever hero, with his 11 goals being instrumental to the clubs continued success post 2008

pv4
26-03-2014, 03:25 PM
funny how all of that only seemed to affect ljubo, though, hey.

he must just be some sort of white knight of morality.

Ljubo is/was man enough to step up to the bullshit that was clearly happening at those clubs.

Whereas a lot of other people were too afraid to jeopardise their own careers, and played through it.

Also, Ljubo the only person affected? Did you not see Michael Thwaite, Danny Vukovic, etc threaten a storm out at the start of this season?

Victory are this weird kind of Melbourne-based Old Boys Club that is strange to anyone from the outside - and if they didn't have such financial and fan backing, they would have spiralled into an embarrasing pit of shame like Perth and us have been for years now. Perth are in an actual pit at the moment, thanks to Burns, Sage, etc - and they STILL don't give DDS enough of a run ffs. And Branko proper attempted to ruin our club - he played boring football, put his mates Jesic & co on ridiculous wages, swindled Tinkler with Jason, etc.

But yeah, nah - Ljubo is the issue guys.

parksey
26-03-2014, 03:30 PM
the ljubo defending is every bit as ridiculous as the bridges bashing tbh

both get far too much attention than they deserve

pv4
26-03-2014, 03:31 PM
the ljubo defending is every bit as ridiculous as the bridges bashing tbh

both get far too much attention than they deserve

:rof: you're just still seething from when I successfully predicted that NTS would be shithouse for our team when Ljubo left.

parksey
26-03-2014, 03:42 PM
i just think it's quite strange that people on here hold ljubo up as this beacon of morality when it seems pretty clear to most other people that the guy just wants things to go his way. he's too busy "keeping it real" to actually think about what it means to be a professional and fit in with a team environment consisting of varying personalities. there's nothing wrong with being "scared", as you put it, about losing your place at a club and jeopardising your career. maybe if ljubo had done the same he wouldn't be semi-retired having thrown a very promising career down the toilet.

nts seems like he's doing pretty well for himself these days.

hawk
26-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Parksey, keeping it reel!

halo se7en
26-03-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm not one of Bridges' fans and I'll be happy to see him retire. I also love the idea about the guys that are leaving/retiring doing a lap at the end of the last home game. Throw their name up on the screen and let everyone give them a clap as they go round. It doesn't matter how shit they were, they wore the shirt and at some point more than likely did something good for us. Bridges has scored some goals and been around the club longer than most of the current crop - for all we know, and I'm just speculating, maybe he's been instrumental in the way Taggz has come on this year? Maybe not, but why are we all so goddamn angry all the time??

We expect the players to be 100% professional, and the club to be 100% professional, and both of them to do everything right, yet we can act like 10yr olds? Show a bit of respect and gratitude to players and it will come back. I agree with plague (i think it was you?), the club need to start acknowledging players - long serving or not. You can't just say 'oh well they haven't before, so why now?'. If a player has played more than 50 or 100 games, then make it that bit more special, otherwise just give them a lap. It's so ridiculously easy.

There'll be times when a player's contract is still up in the air after the last game is played. If that's the case, then so be it, they can't do a final lap.