PDA

View Full Version : Euro Style chanting vs British style chanting

newi24-2-08
13-01-2014, 02:47 PM
Serious question here , where do most of you guys sit on this issue?

It's obvious that most of the senior members of the squadron aren't keen on the idea of moving towards a British style chanting but I think it deserves some thought.
I personally think it would create a wider participation from the crowd and would be more beneficial to the players but that's just what I think....

Interested to hear your thoughts

BodyNovo
13-01-2014, 02:53 PM
good post

on Friday night we made a concerted effort to do a solid mix between the 2.

old favorites including oh when the jets were brought back in to action and i thought it worked well.

we also scrapped the mega for most chants for the night bar an extended period in the second half when the Melbourne goal was scored.

while my preference is towards to European stuff, i know the British chanting has its place in Newcastle

i think it should be more about getting a good mix of the 2 instead of choosing one or the other.

Blackmac79
13-01-2014, 03:06 PM
First i want to say that i prefer the euro-style chanting.

second -I think rather that your statement that the senior squadron is unwilling or not keen to compromise is unfair. As body has stated we have made an effort to adjust what we do to be inclusive of all people and styles. We are constantly looking for ways to be more inclusive and increase quality of our support. We have recieved many comments about this and have discussed and made adjustments accordingly.

third - you can see the difference between the two styles when the new NCL group, who are mainly using british style chants are spending large portions of the game not actually chanting or singing at all. Where as the squadrons euro style is continuous with lesser breaks. These breaks however were more present on friday night due to the changes that body discussed above.

forth - british style is more reactive to what is occuring in the game, while euro you sing no matter what, was good to see that there was no change in the support even when melbourne scored on friday and the squadron stopped singing.

fifth - nothing I have said is meant as a slight at anyone prefering either style. I would like to see a good mix with in the squadrons song list so as to satisfy everyone.

sixth - I personally will not sing that shit rangers chant that the NCL are trying to get going. I actually find it quite offensive.

Rocknerd
13-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Euro style FTW.

like any good orchestra you need someone to lead and it helps stop bell ends from starting up drunken nothing noise that is just embracing. variation is good but a constant stream of sound/songs/chanting is better than long periods of quiet because we're all too busy thinking about how much we suck than making a show of support to the lads on the pitch by keeping the songs/chanting/noise going.

the Brits may have started it, but the Euros perfected it.

I will not sing oh when the jets; ever! shit chant is shit.

Rocknerd
13-01-2014, 04:01 PM
sixth - I personally will not sing that shit rangers chant that the NCL are trying to get going. I actually find it quite offensive.

how's this one go?

Blackmac79
13-01-2014, 04:11 PM
It's a blue order chant. Hullo hullo. Celebrating genocide in Scotland by a ****ing tyrant

q-money
13-01-2014, 04:17 PM
sounds good we should sing it more often

i thought you were a proddo anyway

Superdylan
13-01-2014, 04:19 PM
I would prefer songs with 2 verses followed by a chorus whether this fits english or euro do not really care tbh. Songs about who we are, pride etc. Ones with an uplifting beat etc, these chants are alot easier to keep going, these get sung at the top of the lungs. Ones that aren't used by other a-league groups to that style etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Snks6C0mQ like the rbb's call to arms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-5vs0Vk38 or an example of an overseas team Botafogo (Brazilian top league)

Probably the most creative chant we have come up with in recent years has definitely been.....where newcastle, where wonderful, where gonna sing, clap, chant until we score & has been perfected now it has different styles of how its done.

Mitchy
13-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Euro

militiamon
13-01-2014, 05:00 PM
Yoorow

joel31
13-01-2014, 05:30 PM
I think a mix but I'm leaning more to Euro as it makes chants more organised and as Blackmac pointed out keeps going for 90 mins

joel31
13-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Adding a poll to this thread would be appropriate

Schultz
13-01-2014, 06:42 PM
It's all good.

Beeen
13-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Aussie

hawk
13-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Euro style FTW.
like any good orchestra you need someone to lead and it helps stop bell ends from starting up drunken nothing noise that is just embracing. variation is good but a constant stream of sound/songs/chanting is better than long periods of quiet because we're all too busy thinking about how much we suck than making a show of support to the lads on the pitch by keeping the songs/chanting/noise going.

the Brits may have started it, but the Euros perfected it.

I will not sing oh when the jets; ever! shit chant is shit.

We've had worse euro chants. Just do some of both. Q made up one ages ago that never got a decent run imo.

Those ncl chants are fine.

up the proddos >>>> continent

goaliepersempre
13-01-2014, 09:08 PM
I think everyone has to come and do a stint over here :) :)

selassie
21-01-2014, 11:24 AM
third - you can see the difference between the two styles when the new NCL group, who are mainly using british style chants are spending large portions of the game not actually chanting or singing at all. Where as the squadrons euro style is continuous with lesser breaks. These breaks however were more present on friday night due to the changes that body discussed above.

forth - british style is more reactive to what is occuring in the game, while euro you sing no matter what, was good to see that there was no change in the support even when melbourne scored on friday and the squadron stopped singing.
Personally, I prefer the Euro style.

But what if the constant need for the individual to subjugate themselves to the collective goal of continuous noise is what is driving people away? People are being given the choice of either assimilating into the group or being coerced by the power of the megaphone, drum and large numbers. It is the way you encourage people to join in that matters. People don’t like being given a Hobson’s choice (i.e. Sing or Fvck Off). This is where I believe the Squadron’s reputation for exclusivity stems from.

So what if there is more quiet time for people to start own chants? Let people realise their chant didn’t get up because it was a terrible one and don’t let them stand on the excuse that it didn’t get up because someone overpowered then with a megaphone.

Ideally, the Eurolovers, whom are smaller in number, would sing constantly through the game with the help of the mega and not give a fvck what other people are doing (we sing for the team not for the fox microphones). And in moments when the game is exciting, the Anglolovers will start chants which will galvanise a large amount of the crowd and lift the team. A symbiosis if ever there was one.

All this can be achieved in our current set up, it just requires a bit of tinkering by the people who have influence over others.

like any good orchestra you need someone to lead and it helps stop bell ends from starting up drunken nothing noise that is just embracing.
An orchestra is extremely hierarchal and a rock band doesn’t have a conductor. Which form of music is more popular? Lol @ you telling anyone they are embarrassing.

variation is good but a constant stream of sound/songs/chanting is better than long periods of quiet because we're all too busy thinking about how much we suck than making a show of support to the lads on the pitch by keeping the songs/chanting/noise going.
A constant stream of sound being superior to a variation of chants is only your opinion, not a self evident truth.

TLDR; bring back the fun, enough euro cultural appropriation.

PS the reductio ad absurdum of euro chanting is to play a pre-recorded soundtrack of chants over the stadium PA system.

hawk
21-01-2014, 05:53 PM

Whateva' he said, then I'm that....breakit down redman..

Blackmac79
21-01-2014, 06:22 PM
I agree with your points sla.

I also dislike the idea of sing of **** off. I think actively involving the people not singing by surrounding them with people who are is far more effective. e.g. Commie having his 5 minutes giving it the big ones the other day got everyone around him fired up in the heat.

I believe the mix you mentioned was achieved at the victory game.

sanchez
21-01-2014, 09:55 PM
I think you're all racist. Should be singing much more North American styled songs.

We should also tear our town upside down and riot when we win.

Newy Jetz Rulz...hoo-ha!

parksey
22-01-2014, 12:10 AM
tbh i've always preferred a british style but i hardly sing anyway.

furns
22-01-2014, 12:17 AM
When have we ever sang "Sing or f*ck off" except for seasons 3 & 4?

northern_swan
22-01-2014, 01:21 PM

Have heard it many times by parts of squadron, not started by capos though. Including this season.

militiamon
22-01-2014, 10:21 PM

Have heard it this season as well, but from the usual Bay 1 dissidents (Puyol and his mates).

Skirt Boy
22-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Prefer the English.

I also seriously hate our drum.

lquiquer
22-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Prefer the English.

I also seriously hate our drum.

Drums

Rocknerd
25-01-2014, 03:13 PM
An orchestra is extremely hierarchal and a rock band doesn’t have a conductor. Which form of music is more popular? Lol @ you telling anyone they are embarrassing.

A constant stream of sound being superior to a variation of chants is only your opinion, not a self evident truth.

Perhaps orchestra is the wrong term. Perhaps choir.
Rock music may be more popular but it also only needs 3 blokes. in saying that you still need someone running the show keeping the whole band in time and playing the same song.

And I've voiced my opinion many times when chants are shit or embarrassing so lol to you Sir.

Yes it is just my opinion, that's why I gave it. It seems hypocritical to chastise me personally for voicing my opinion when you're free to give yours without someone shooting down your ideas.

I want what is best for the team and what will best build active support in Newy. I may not agree with it but I'll go along with it if it is what is best.

But my opinion will always be Euro, Capo, noise and consistant chanting over variation and sporadically started chants.

GazFish35
25-01-2014, 03:50 PM
How about a capo who let's stuff start organically, is intune to what's happening and then get the whole lot joining in?

Is that euro/Brit? Like Bonnie Tyler?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p015zmhy

hawk
26-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Have heard it this season as well, but from the usual Bay 1 dissidents (Puyol and his mates).
puyol, lulz

How about a capo who let's stuff start organically, is intune to what's happening and then get the whole lot joining in?

This has been happening but no growth occuring. Does TV have a hire crowd or similar?

selassie
27-01-2014, 02:01 PM
And I've voiced my opinion many times when chants are shit or embarrassing so lol to you Sir.
but that is not very ultra. i thought you were meant to follow the instructions of the capo regardless because the strength of the collective is more important than the opinion of the individual.

Yes it is just my opinion, that's why I gave it. It seems hypocritical to chastise me personally for voicing my opinion when you're free to give yours without someone shooting down your ideas.
nothing hypocritical about it. if people don't like my ideas, i expect them to shoot at it. when i see an idea i don't like, i shoot. there is a difference between being free to state your opinion and being able to state your opinion without overt judgement or censure regardless of the content of your opinion. the former is what i strive for, the latter is the road to serfdom.

RedMexican
27-01-2014, 03:51 PM
tbh i hate the british style of chanting its inconsistent and sounds horrible at times.

stick with what we know euro all the way farken.

q-money
27-01-2014, 05:07 PM
same blokes that tout they would go harder if it was english are the blokes that maybe should go and start their own group oh wait :rof:

RedMexican
27-01-2014, 06:23 PM
same blokes that tout they would go harder if it was english are the blokes that maybe should go and start their own group oh wait :rof:

:lulz:

Skirt Boy
27-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Like I said before. I prefer the English chanting however that's not my biggest gripe. Lose the drums and I know a few more people who would be sitting in with the squadron.

furns
27-01-2014, 06:47 PM
No one in Newy can stay in time with a chant without the drum SB. I say that with a small amount of experience in the matter.

Superdylan
27-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Drums help keep a rhythm. Having said that no beat is better then overheads claps.

Without the British influence in the bay we would have never had some quality chants made like....Some Sheila from gosford, never tear us apart or from time to time 'I just can't get enough'.

Even the northern terrace use a variety of English chants aswell as do the cove. No need to be completely like the rbb both can work.

Haven't had much issue with the chants over the years.....but I'm glad we don't sing poofter goalkeeper, everywhere we go, people want to know these days and the celery chant has kindly pissed off recently.

However there's some pretty shit euro chants aswell like that newy newy newy ole, newy newy newy ole, that has been trialled a couple times this season too much of a tongue twister.

RedMexican
27-01-2014, 07:47 PM
. No need to be completely like the rbb both can work.

that sentence right there is the reason why we struggle so much.

fck the rbb and the golden carpet they flew in on here. the drum is better then the overhead claps, even clapping falls out of time quicker then almost anything (when well pished)

but my opinion is euro is good. british is bad.

timmy_v
27-01-2014, 08:07 PM
tbh, would like any style as long as people do it and don't just stand there.

Mixing it up between both styles has always worked well.