PDA

View Full Version : Any qualified engineers in here?

sanchez
23-01-2014, 11:09 PM
I need a retaining wall design engineered and certified in order to submit a DA to council.

PM if you're able to help out.

Cheers guyz.

sammydog
23-01-2014, 11:31 PM
How big is the retaining wall, which Council?

boz-monaut
23-01-2014, 11:40 PM
pay for it you ****

also, gis a call

sanchez
23-01-2014, 11:44 PM
How big is the retaining wall, which Council?

Newcastle Council. Feckin prics.

Highest wall would be 1100mm which I more than understand needs to be engineered, but they'e requested we supply engineering detail for all walls even those under 800mm in order to issue to cover the walls in the CC accompanying the DA??

Just seems like they're constantly moving he goal postswith what can go through as complying development.

sanchez
23-01-2014, 11:46 PM
I might com round to yours on Sat befoe staysh Boz, bring you a copy of the plans and we can http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RF5yC6o97FA/T3eLJa8NxPI/AAAAAAAAAnM/aFgmEkKUhy0/s1600/discus.jpg?

Skirt Boy
24-01-2014, 12:10 AM
Just build it yourself. 1.1m is **** all and **** the council.

belchardo
24-01-2014, 06:36 AM
600mm is the cut off height for retaining walls under complying development.

belchardo
24-01-2014, 06:37 AM

always love that philosophy. good luck getting an insurance payout.

pv4
24-01-2014, 07:04 AM
Just myself built a steel post/timber sleeper retaining wall that at points is a little above 1.4m above the ground (with no engineering/da/etc) :cool:

I'm under the impression you're building new, yeah snachez? In which case I'm led to believe building it yourself is not an option, and possibly/probably is holding up building of the house. My cousin just went through all this - best bet, particularly because people buying/building new get fxxxing reamed price-wise, is to get someone to engineer AND build it. Will save you a fair bit of honey.

What material are you using sanch?

pv4
24-01-2014, 07:05 AM
always love that philosophy. good luck getting an insurance payout.

but, but, it was already there when i moved in!

sammydog
24-01-2014, 07:59 AM
600mm is the cut off height for retaining walls under complying development.

Depends if it is Earthworks and Drainage (subdivision 6 of SEPP Exempt and Complying) or Ancillary Development (subdivision 7).

Unprotected fill can be 600mm. Filling will need to be no deeper than 1m controlled by a retaining wall, otherwise it falls under ancillary development and is subject to the requirements for Ancillary Development;

600mm if it is within 500mm of a boundary, 1000mm if its further than 500mm from the boundary.

Either way, at 1.1m its not complying development.

Unfortunately that line doesn't work.

sh10
24-01-2014, 12:25 PM
planning nerds

snake
24-01-2014, 01:33 PM
engineering :oops:

sammydog
24-01-2014, 07:09 PM
planning nerds

Worst career choice ever.

sh10
24-01-2014, 07:26 PM
:lol:

I am very glad I don't work in DA, fmd

Pico
24-01-2014, 08:08 PM

near maps and property records say otherwise :tongue:

near maps and property records say otherwise 😜

sanchez
24-01-2014, 10:38 PM

That would be an option if it wasn't a new build. Council need to inspect the footings as well as do another inspection of the completed wall prior to issuing an occupation certificate.

sanchez
24-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Just myself built a steel post/timber sleeper retaining wall that at points is a little above 1.4m above the ground (with no engineering/da/etc) :cool:

I'm under the impression you're building new, yeah snachez? In which case I'm led to believe building it yourself is not an option, and possibly/probably is holding up building of the house. My cousin just went through all this - best bet, particularly because people buying/building new get fxxxing reamed price-wise, is to get someone to engineer AND build it. Will save you a fair bit of honey.

What material are you using sanch?

That's it PV4, its a new build so all needs to be above board.

I'm going to go with a contemporary masonry design. Charcoal blocks etc, which seems to be becoming the norm these days.

I was intending to use a wall design allowed to go 800mm high, but have it engineered to go to approx 1100mm with suitable footings, drainage, backfill etc. I find as soon as you move to a masonry wall intended for 1000mm plus without needing engineering the prices seem to jump up a bit on the blocks.

Brings me to another point, anyone recommend somewhere cheap for masonry?? Adbri?? Hunterstone?? Lemme know cheers pals.

sammydog
25-01-2014, 10:04 AM
That's it PV4, its a new build so all needs to be above board.

I'm going to go with a contemporary masonry design. Charcoal blocks etc, which seems to be becoming the norm these days.

I was intending to use a wall design allowed to go 800mm high, but have it engineered to go to approx 1100mm with suitable footings, drainage, backfill etc. I find as soon as you move to a masonry wall intended for 1000mm plus without needing engineering the prices seem to jump up a bit on the blocks.

Brings me to another point, anyone recommend somewhere cheap for masonry?? Adbri?? Hunterstone?? Lemme know cheers pals.

Masonry is the go if you want a long term option that won't need replacing in 10 years.

GazFish35
25-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Sammydog, can you answer a question for me.

We've found a block of land we want to buy. Subdivision happened a few years ago "only a few blocks left" we are interested in lot21, 22 and 17 are also still for sale.

We asked for a contract, our conveyancer tells us the land isn't registered, and that currently lot21,22 and 17 are actually considered one title. the real estate agent tells us that registration and further subdivision will happen prior to settlement.
is this normal? Our conveyancer reckons it's the dodgiest shit they've heard of for years.... We aren't signing a contract until we've seen proof that lot21 is the land we want, is registered and is not attached to 22 or 17.

Is this in your field or should I call the cops!

sammydog
25-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Sounds like the land equivalent of selling units off a plan.

Its most likely that they have DA approval but haven't registered with the LPI. Do you know if they went far enough to get a Subdivision Certificate off Council? I'd suggest contacting whichever the relevant Council is, talking to the duty planner and seeing what the status of the land is.

- What was approved;
- When was it approved;
- Has a subdivision certificate been issued;

Its possible that the subdivision is being registered in stages and the three lots left are the last stage (the lot numbers don't seem to suggest staging though), hence currently on the one title. Personally, I wouldn't buy until its registered so you are certain of the restrictions placed on the land and what the final dimensions are.

GazFish35
26-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks.

Happens that the surveyor who draw up the lots lives next to mum and dad. He's looking into it, reckons it's all above board.... And that they are pretty darn good blocks of land..... Looking like we might be buying and building! Yikes.

sanchez
01-02-2014, 12:41 AM
Sammydog, can you answer a question for me.

We've found a block of land we want to buy. Subdivision happened a few years ago "only a few blocks left" we are interested in lot21, 22 and 17 are also still for sale.

We asked for a contract, our conveyancer tells us the land isn't registered, and that currently lot21,22 and 17 are actually considered one title. the real estate agent tells us that registration and further subdivision will happen prior to settlement.
is this normal? Our conveyancer reckons it's the dodgiest shit they've heard of for years.... We aren't signing a contract until we've seen proof that lot21 is the land we want, is registered and is not attached to 22 or 17.

Is this in your field or should I call the cops!

Never trust a land agent Gaz. I deal with this shit everyday and somehow even got stung myself.

Always take the time to invest in having a solicitor/conveyancer and/or surveyor advise you before committing to a block. I highly advise you get your own contours and soil report prior to purchase also. The developer supplied contours we received were incredibly lenient compared to our actual contours report from the surveyor...approx 500mm diagonal fall off among other misrepresentations! Land agent also advised of M class soil, when our report came in at H1. You're looking potentially at $1,500 - $3,500 just in the altered slab design there.

On another note, let me know when you do purchase a block. I might know a quality builder that will happily provide you a quote...:sup:

sanchez
01-02-2014, 12:43 AM
Also, getting back to my question...anyone here a structural engineer or have similar quals to do some simple engineering plans for me?

If not, then Griff hates you.

GazFish35
01-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Never trust a land agent Gaz. I deal with this shit everyday and somehow even got stung myself.

Always take the time to invest in having a solicitor/conveyancer and/or surveyor advise you before committing to a block. I highly advise you get your own contours and soil report prior to purchase also. The developer supplied contours we received were incredibly lenient compared to our actual contours report from the surveyor...approx 500mm diagonal fall off among other misrepresentations! Land agent also advised of M class soil, when our report came in at H1. You're looking potentially at $1,500 - $3,500 just in the altered slab design there.

On another note, let me know when you do purchase a block. I might know a quality builder that will happily provide you a quote...:sup:

Thanks for the advice.
We've spoken to the surveyor who cut up the subdivision, he is a neighbour I gre up next and still lives next to my folks....had Christmas dinner with him, no worries about his info, he's actually got us more info o. The block than anyone else.... We've spoken to builders who have built on either side of our block and they also speak very highly of the land.

GazFish35
01-02-2014, 08:06 AM
But back to sanch's question.....

Anyone in here a structural engineer?