PDA

View Full Version : Disc Golf

Grimario
01-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Anyone here play? Or even heard of it?

A mate of mine from work got me in to it a few months back and it's really quite addictive.

There is a course set up at Jesmond Park and another two in the planning stages for out at Rathmines and up in Maitland (and possibly a third at Wallsend), so it is starting to get a bigger profile here.

Any ultimate guys here that have had a round?

GazFish35
01-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Play it at work.
Good lead in to ultimate..... Makes you work out how to control the disc.

Never played the course at Jesmond park, it's been there for some time, it was on our list of things to do for uni, but ended upon the list of "things we said we did to pass assessments, but didn't ever do"

Grimario
01-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Where the hell do you work that you can play it AT work?

I had been practicing my putting in my office building when my floor was mostly empty but recently had the empty desks fill up with both people and PC's so there is a risk of hitting someone in the head or breaking something now :(

I got into it mostly because I am disgustingly unfit and needed something to make walking more interesting, basically. I played the full 36 at Jesmond today and am totally stuffed. Played down in Sydney last weekend as well and reckon I feel worse today than after 99 holes over 3 days last weekend.

GazFish35
01-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Where the hell do you work that you can play it AT work?

Haha. PE Teaching has it perks!

pv4
02-07-2012, 06:06 AM
so keen to check it out. the mrs used to play for the australian youth ultimate team, so it shouldn't be hard to get her on board either.

Grimario
02-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Haha. PE Teaching has it perks!
Ahhh, of course. What discs do schools use?

so keen to check it out. the mrs used to play for the australian youth ultimate team, so it shouldn't be hard to get her on board either.

The league day is held at Jesmond Park on the first sunday of every month. I think the club usually has discs for loan for visitors, so more than welcome to pop down.

The one at Rathmines should hopefully be in in the next few months so much closer for you Wangi Wangi sorts.

pv4
02-07-2012, 09:27 AM
sounds like heaps of fun. is it a full-day kind of thing, or just rock up when you want, spend an hour or two playing, then bail when you want?

the mrs has a few of her old nationals-competition discs lying around at home that are a dream to throw, might drag them along.

you better watch out if you're going to come down to rathys for a throw - homeground advantage is key!

Bon
02-07-2012, 09:42 AM
While I haven't played the actual disc golf course in Jezzo before, I've spent a large amount of time (drunken/sober, day or night) hoiking frisbees/Aerobie rings around on Newy beach..
I'm sure PV4 can clear it up, having a Mrs that was national and all, but in playing the game, they only use the disc type of Frisbee yeah?
I love the Aerobie rings, they go a ridiculous distance but can be a prick of a thing to control. Plus they don't glow in the dark AND they don't float.. So I've lost about 4 of the $45 rings to the ocean or just to the night.. :mad:
Where around Rathys are they making the course?

Grimario
02-07-2012, 09:48 AM
sounds like heaps of fun. is it a full-day kind of thing, or just rock up when you want, spend an hour or two playing, then bail when you want?

the mrs has a few of her old nationals-competition discs lying around at home that are a dream to throw, might drag them along.

you better watch out if you're going to come down to rathys for a throw - homeground advantage is key!
If you want prizes, league day is generally a full day thing ;) Otherwise nothing to stop people from coming down and throwing the morning round (usually the easier of the two) or just trailling behind the league players and playing holes as they go through. We had 3 groups of randoms yesterday playing, not involved in the league day and just out for some fun. A few of them bought discs from one of our Sydney players who runs a shop and a few others got his business card so they can order stuff in the future.

I've not been out to Styles Point (I think..) yet to see the proposed course layout but apparently a rep from Lake Mac council is being contacted this week to go through the proposal as they are keen to get some other activity in that park as it is presently only used for some school fun run /shrug

Grimario
02-07-2012, 09:51 AM
While I haven't played the actual disc golf course in Jezzo before, I've spent a large amount of time (drunken/sober, day or night) hoiking frisbees/Aerobie rings around on Newy beach..
I'm sure PV4 can clear it up, having a Mrs that was national and all, but in playing the game, they only use the disc type of Frisbee yeah?
I love the Aerobie rings, they go a ridiculous distance but can be a prick of a thing to control. Plus they don't glow in the dark AND they don't float.. So I've lost about 4 of the $45 rings to the ocean or just to the night.. :mad:
Where around Rathys are they making the course?
I didn't think they were allowed to call them frisbees because Wham-O owns that trademark? I think they throw an ultrastar or something... one of the guys from the Newcastle team (Chilli, I think he goes by?) drops in for a round at Jesmond every so often.

GazFish35
02-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Ahhh, of course. What discs do schools

We use paper plates. Budget is tight.

Grimario
02-07-2012, 10:00 AM
We use paper plates. Budget is tight.

Public schooling, I take it....

Bon
02-07-2012, 10:02 AM
I didn't think they were allowed to call them frisbees because Wham-O owns that trademark?

Yeah I knew Wham-O or someone like that would have trademarked it.. I've seen Back To The Future 3, we all know Marty McFly invented the real Frisbee..

militiamon
02-07-2012, 10:18 AM
I didn't think they were allowed to call them frisbees because Wham-O owns that trademark? I think they throw an ultrastar or something... one of the guys from the Newcastle team (Chilli, I think he goes by?) drops in for a round at Jesmond every so often.

heh, small world.

The best/official (by UPA) discs for ultimate are those made by Discraft (175g ultra-stars or whatever). You can get them from lots of places these days, my last ones I got from Amazon but it has the worst ever shipping policy, I think they ended up being $12-15 each at the end of it. Smooth as **** to throw though, I'm guessing this is what you have pv4.

Grimario
02-07-2012, 10:24 AM
heh, small world.

:eek:

Bon
02-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Yeah, turns out the glow-in-the-dark one that I bought was a Wham-O 160g Maxflight..

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/img/b/0/0/19f/4/AAAAC1xkZTsAAAAAAZ9C5A/wham-o-max-flight-glow-frisbee-disc-colors-vary.jpg

To be honest, haven't even tried throwing it yet so I've got no idea how it goes..

militiamon
02-07-2012, 10:30 AM
:eek:

Sick bloke, I believe he's representing Australia at the World Games (or whatever they call it) in Japan right now.

I haven't played disc golf yet, but have played ultimate for a bit now. I would be keen to play though since my throwing skills are hot fire.

q-money
02-07-2012, 10:38 AM
local team has the greatest strip of all time

parksey
02-07-2012, 09:20 PM
the **** is this

Grimario
02-07-2012, 09:29 PM
It's rocket science, parksey.

parksey
02-07-2012, 09:48 PM
It's rocket science, parksey.

safe to say I would be absolutely terrible at this game.

Grimario
03-07-2012, 12:22 PM
safe to say I would be absolutely terrible at this game.

Safe to say, you would probably be better than me.

Grimario
04-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Probably going to have some temp baskets set up at Rathmines on the weekend if any of you Western Lake Mac sorts are interested.

Bon
04-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Where in Rathmines are they Grim?? Is it near the skatepark/football fields?

pv4
04-07-2012, 01:19 PM
best place they could go at rathys would be the park just underneath the bowlo. it's got a bbq and toilets, and the food and drinks at the bowlo very close.

Grimario
04-07-2012, 01:20 PM
It's at Styles Point, some park near a boat ramp?

I haven't actually been out there yet so not 100% sure...

pv4
04-07-2012, 01:45 PM
ok i got ya. tiny bit of a maze to get to but pretty secluded spot down there.

best way i can describe how to get to it is turn left at the roundabout on the main road between toronto and morisset, drive past the industrial estate which will be on your right, drive 1-2mins. after a while there'll be houses on either side of the road, and it's the last left before the bush starts again. the preschool is on that road you turn down - i think it's overhill st or rd. then basically drive to the end of that and there'll be a track to the right. then i think it might still be a bit of dirt a track, but you'll see the park & the carpark and stuff as you drive down.

Bon
04-07-2012, 01:49 PM
ok i got ya. tiny bit of a maze to get to but pretty secluded spot down there.

best way i can describe how to get to it is turn left at the roundabout on the main road between toronto and morisset, drive past the industrial estate which will be on your right, drive 1-2mins. after a while there'll be houses on either side of the road, and it's the last left before the bush starts again. the preschool is on that road you turn down - i think it's overhill st or rd. then basically drive to the end of that and there'll be a track to the right. then i think it might still be a bit of dirt a track, but you'll see the park & the carpark and stuff as you drive down.

Ahhhhhh yeah, I know where that is.. I actually went to that pre-school as a young shiner.. haha

pv4
04-07-2012, 01:59 PM
pretty sure everyone went to that preschool :cool:

Bon
04-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Everyone that matters.. ;)

Grimario
04-07-2012, 02:04 PM
I went to pre-school at Gateshead :(

pv4
04-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Everyone that matters.. ;)

me, you, griff & balotelli all went there. so yep, i agree.

pv4
04-07-2012, 02:23 PM
back on topic - i'm super busy sunday but imma try & get down there.

GazFish35
04-07-2012, 02:47 PM
I don't know rathmines all that well, but is a park by the lake going to be too windy for disc golf?

pv4
04-07-2012, 02:51 PM
the particular park it is at has a few trees and stuff around it. plus it's facing into kilaben bay and stuff so it's pretty secluded from most winds. i can't see it being too much of an issue.

Grimario
04-07-2012, 03:19 PM
I don't know rathmines all that well, but is a park by the lake going to be too windy for disc golf?

Wind is awesome for disc golf. Total game changer.

Grimario
06-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Going for a few rounds at Jesmond this afternoon around 2:30 if any locals want to drop in.

Grimario
06-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Ok, maybe not. The weather has just got shitter. Shit :(

Grimario
08-07-2012, 08:47 AM
For those that were interested, we will be at Styles Point from around 11 or so.

Bremsstrahlung
08-07-2012, 03:32 PM
RE Jesmond: Is it open to visitors the typical 9-5, during the week? e.g can i get a couple of friends who've never played and rock up and hire some discs + play a few rounds?

Grimario
08-07-2012, 06:12 PM
RE Jesmond: Is it open to visitors the typical 9-5, during the week? e.g can i get a couple of friends who've never played and rock up and hire some discs + play a few rounds?

It's always open, tis a public park so you can go there at 3am and throw LED discs if you want (they look pretty cool). Unfortunately, there isn't regularly someone there with discs to borrow (not hire, tis free from what I know) unless it is a league day or advance notice is given. My mate and I both work in the CBD (though he tends to work from his home office a lot out in Toronto) and try to get out there 2-3 times a week for a throw in the afternoons, another guy works out at Wallsend and tries to get in a lunch round 2-3 times a week as well.

Neil is the guy that does most of the organising of stuff up here and has said if you shoot him an email (PM me if you are interested) beforehand, he is happy to meet at the course and take people for a round or two.

Grimario
08-07-2012, 06:13 PM
BTW... Styles Point is ****ing awesome. If the proposal gets up, will likely be the best disc golf course in NSW.

pv4
08-07-2012, 10:18 PM
I rolled up around 230 & couldn't see anyone with discs. was busy beforehand. keen for another time though!

Grimario
08-07-2012, 10:27 PM
We left probably 15 minutes before that. The guy that came up from Sydney had to get back civilisation at a reasonable hour so we left just after 2.

pv4
09-07-2012, 06:07 AM
ha bummer. next time for sure! the mrs sounded keen also, as did my little nephew.

did you get much of a rollup?

why was styles so good? is it because of all the trees creating obstacles and such?

Grimario
09-07-2012, 08:51 AM
There was only 3 of us. One of the Newcastle regulars had a big party the night before, another is in his 2 weeks on roster out in the mines... and Sydney folk were either working or lazy.

There are only 2 open to the public courses in NSW (I think...) so being the best out of 3 wouldn't be hugely difficult. Its competition is Newington Armoury which is basically just a massive open area requiring lots of huge throws for you to be any good. There is a little bit of tree cover but nothing like at Jesmond or Styles Point. Jesmond is good but there are no real long holes to test peoples arms, so it's more about technique than anything. Styles Point has a bit of everything... lots of awesome tree corridors for technique, one monster long hole and a few other long holes... and the backdrop of Kilaben Bay is just perfect.

There is also course out at Mudgee (of all places) that was built for corporate team building stuff at some conference centre/accommodation... I think it might be open to the public but is a $10 entrance fee and it is apparently not set up as a disc golf course, just as a team building thing so your regular pleb who can throw a frisbee isn't overawed by it.

Grimario
10-07-2012, 11:45 AM
If any of you Newcastle sorts want to go for a throw today, Neil will be there from around 2:30-3pm today. If I can get out, I will be there as well but probably not.

First hole is right near the carpark on Robinson Rd (or st?) just off Newcastle Road.

Grimario
10-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Also...

pv4... Styles Point is on again this Saturday. Few more of the Newcastle locals heading out, will have 9 temp baskets set up. Running from 1030 or so for 3-4 hours.

Grimario
13-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Styles Point tomorrow. Stuff will be set up from around 930 apparently, we have some folk up from Sydney who have to be back by 3pm so they are trekking up early. Will definitely be ready to go by 10am.

Grimario
14-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks for coming out pv4, was good to meet you. Hope you had as much fun as your nephew, he looked so disappointed that you had to leave!

I will let you know when we are out there again though it won't be for a few weeks as we have Brisbane Open then Jesmond league day over the next few weeks.

pv4
14-07-2012, 04:05 PM
cheers for having us. was a good little hour of fun. the nephew wants to play it every day he told me in the car - and the niece actually wants to have a go next time (she's just shy). was good fun! keen for next time already!

Grimario
16-07-2012, 10:50 AM
We are looking at heading out there again one day this weekend if you are keen. Probably only myself and Neil and maybe one other guy who wasn't there last weekend.

Is any day in particular better for you?

Grimario
17-07-2012, 06:49 AM
DG @ Jesmond from around 2:30 today.

Grimario
23-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Heading up to Brisvegas this week for the Brisbane Championships. Expecting to finish dead last again on a course I have never played before. Reckon they have around 30 people signed up already so tis pretty impressive considering we only got 12 to Sydney Open a month and a bit back :(

Grimario
24-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Right gents (and ladies?).

The Jesmond Jam is the local tournament, taking place 2nd weekend of September. There will be a doubles tournament on the Friday and the tournament proper on Sunday however the super awesome beginner friendly stuff takes place on the Saturday.

There will be an Ace Race as part of the world wide Discraft Ace Race (http://discgolfacerace.com/) that takes place from August - October. Entry fee gets you TWO brand new prototype discs from Discraft, a mini and a bag.

https://www.facebook.com/events/162461150556610/

pv4, looking at you!

Grimario
30-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Heading up to Brisvegas this week for the Brisbane Championships. Expecting to finish dead last again on a course I have never played before. Reckon they have around 30 people signed up already so tis pretty impressive considering we only got 12 to Sydney Open a month and a bit back :(

They ended up having 27 with 2 on the day cancellations due to a) car accident and b) over straining while doing a massive post hamburger shit (no joke...) and herniating a disc.

I finished dead last but only by 2 and only because of a really shit last hole where I shot 7. Shit. Also, first hole of day 2, I had a great drive and was 3m from the basket... and missed the birdie putt :(

pv4 (and anyone else interested), tis the Newcastle league day this Sunday at Jesmond. https://www.facebook.com/events/503893652960585/

GazFish35
06-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Grim

can you recommend a supplier for the baskets?
or do you have plans that i could grab so we could make some?

lookin at seeting up a course at work.

Grimario
06-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Grim

can you recommend a supplier for the baskets?
or do you have plans that i could grab so we could make some?

lookin at seeting up a course at work.

All the suppliers are overseas, not sure who we use. Neil is organising the baskets for the new proposal at Rathmines so I will have a word with him about recommendations. Be warned though, they are pretty pricey at around $300-500 for door to door shipping.

You might also want to look at getting temp baskets that you can fold up and pack away instead. Something like a Mach Lite http://www.discgolf.com/dga-disc-golf-baskets/mach-lite-portable-disc-golf-basket/

GazFish35
06-08-2012, 05:46 PM
We have a metals fabrication workshop.
I can make it for the cost of the steel!

Grimario
06-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Very nice. Student labour ftw!

GazFish35
18-08-2012, 07:10 PM
How heavy is the chain on a basket?
We can make the rest, the chain looks to be the expensive bit.

Grimario
18-08-2012, 07:33 PM
It's not light... but not a huge chain either. I'm heading to the Sydney course tomorrow, will ask some in the know sorts.

The biggest issue we have seen at other self made baskets is that people make the chains tight... and that kind of defeats the purpose of having them there in the first place. They basically need to have a bit of slack so when a disc hits them, it has a bit of it's momentum killed.

GazFish35
18-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Cheers grim.
Gonna start with the metals guys this week.
Will let you know how we go.

Grimario
20-08-2012, 05:06 PM
http://discgolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/dga-machV-spec-sheet.pdf

GazFish35
20-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Yeah, that's hat we are basing our plans on.
The Mach III maybe.

Grimario
20-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Ok, looking up details it would seem that it is a standard 2/0 straight coil welded chain... I think.

45mm material thickness, 318mm inside length and 83mm inside width.

You need 12 x 71cm for the external chains and 12 x 61cm for the internal chains.

GazFish35
20-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Chains gonna cost a bit!

Grimario
31-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Bump. Only a week away. Anyone out in the Rathmines area is free to come along to the doubles tournament at Styles Point, free of charge. The players packs for the Ace Race have already been ordered and fairly sure there are only a few left.

The Jesmond Jam is the local tournament, taking place 2nd weekend of September. There will be a doubles tournament on the Friday and the tournament proper on Sunday however the super awesome beginner friendly stuff takes place on the Saturday.

There will be an Ace Race as part of the world wide Discraft Ace Race (http://discgolfacerace.com/) that takes place from August - October. Entry fee gets you TWO brand new prototype discs from Discraft, a mini and a bag.

https://www.facebook.com/events/162461150556610/

Grimario
02-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Will be out for an afternoon round tomorrow at Jesmond, hopefully by 3:30 or so.

Grimario
09-09-2012, 05:56 PM
For those that know him, chilly won the Jesmond Jam today. Shot a 98 over the 36 holes.

pv4
09-09-2012, 06:10 PM
nice! how did ace race go?

Grimario
09-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Neil won it with 2 aces. Chilly almost should have won it, got one ace and hit metal 11 times or something retarded. Pretty much had a run at every hole, think most of his 11 metal hits were in and out shots because he was hucking em real hard.

Grimario
30-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Mr Fish, how is the fabrication going?

GazFish35
01-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Plans are in place.
Just waiting for funds.

Grimario
17-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Funds ruin everything.

Nice little video doing the rounds promoting DG.

http://vimeo.com/50806380

Grimario
20-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Last DG doubles tonight before the world ends/next year, 5:30 Jesmond Park. Free for first timers, plenty of discs to loan. First tee is near the car park entrance in Robinson Avenue.

Grimario
31-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Jesmond is getting official tee signs and a course map, being installed over the next week or two.

Also big plans for an Australia Day event of some sort, think possibly a casual friendly ace race of some sort.

GazFish35
31-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Funds ruin everything.

So does changing work places.
I'm moving next year, so is the guy who was going to make them.

Grimario
07-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Signage in at Jesmond! Huzzah.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b214/Grimario/527303_472139672848583_1754862649_n_zps8a31d9f5.jp g
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b214/Grimario/542974_10151187468031697_594403929_n_zps4f34039e.j pg

LINGERA
07-01-2013, 02:33 PM
disc golf grinds my gears

Grimario
01-02-2013, 10:41 PM
League day at Jesmond this Sunday.

10-4

https://www.facebook.com/events/398461910240691/

Grimario
28-02-2013, 09:19 AM
http://www.livestream.com/discgolfplanet

Grimario
14-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Sydney folk, tournament next month being held in Rydalmere. Saturday will be very casual friendly, some learn to throw clinics, BBQ lunch and a fun Tombstone event instead of the usual match play.

https://www.facebook.com/events/222511644554330/

Grimario
14-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Not entirely sure why I keep posting in here.

Bon
14-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Not entirely sure why I keep posting in here.

Keep posting, I'll make it to a local event to check it out one day!..

Grimario
14-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Only a few more weeks of daylight savings left so if you can get to doubles tonight, it's a good place to start ;)

Grimario
14-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Bon, pv4... Rathmines next month!

https://www.facebook.com/events/548924048461695/

Grimario
31-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Have a Lake Mac councillor attending next weekend. Some of the folk on here would be familiar with him from twitter...

Also trying to encourage (harass?) Dom Ritter in to attendance, he has played a bit back home.

Grimario
12-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Sydney folk!

https://www.facebook.com/events/238877432904245/

militiamon
18-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Quidditch :cool:

pv4
19-04-2013, 06:48 AM
miss throwing discs so much. really need to get back into it. militia - pm me before monday to remind me about ultimate on monday night. grim - keep sending me invites to dg. i'll man up one of these days, surely..

Bon
19-04-2013, 08:35 AM
I know it isn't "disc golf", but I've been down the front at Newy Beach throwing the old Aerobie pro rings around.. God damn do those badboys go a long way!!!
Too bad they don't float, or glow in the dark.. We have lost so many of them while pissed out..

Also broke my decent disc, stood on it accidentally (funnily enough, while pissed)..

Grimario
20-04-2013, 06:44 AM
miss throwing discs so much. really need to get back into it. militia - pm me before monday to remind me about ultimate on monday night. grim - keep sending me invites to dg. i'll man up one of these days, surely..
We had a day at rathmines just a few weeks ago, complete with Lake Mac councillor and huge jets fan, Chad Griffiths. Was a great day.

Unlike today. Supposed to be holding our first community advertised Learn to Throw session in Sydney. Dropped around 400 leaflets in the area this week and this weather is what we get. Shit house.

pv4
20-04-2013, 07:02 AM
We had a day at rathmines just a few weeks ago, complete with Lake Mac councillor and huge jets fan, Chad Griffiths. Was a great day.

yeah i was so close to coming to it but had been rostered into a funrun on the same day. major balls.

Grimario
30-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Got back from Melbourne yesterday. The course down there in Doncaster is just brutal for an unfit bastard like me compared to anything in NSW. Around about 10km per 18, constant up and down elevation over a few hundred metres every few holes. Didn't die though, so always a plus.

GazFish35
10-05-2013, 08:10 AM
anyone tried the course at Olympic Park?

http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/whats_on/things_to_do_and_see_events/disc_golf

Grimario
10-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Yep. That's the only permanent course in Sydney so we often have our league days there. The NSW open was there last year as well.

If you are keen on a throw out there, post something up on the FB page. The public access to the park is ages away from the actual course, some of the Sydney folk are out regularly on weekends and can probably loan discs a hell of a lot better than the shitty ones they have for hire there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/138042316317644/?fref=ts

GazFish35
10-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Ive changed schools since i started posting in this thread - no longer have a metals fabrication workshop to work in.

costco in the states have baskets for $70, any idea where we could get something from at a decent price?

Grimario
10-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Ive changed schools since i started posting in this thread - no longer have a metals fabrication workshop to work in.

costco in the states have baskets for $70, any idea where we could get something from at a decent price?

The price of the baskets isn't the bad bit, it's usually the shipping. And depending on whether you are looking at permanent baskets or a relocatable one...

http://www.dudediscs.com.au/gear-catalog/basket/inn-dsc-trv-disp-discatcher-traveller

That's one of the few Australian distributors. The other one I can't see any temp baskets on.

Grimario
01-06-2013, 12:22 PM
League day this Sunday, playing the tournament layout in preparation for the Jesmond Jam next month. From 930 ish!

pv4, show up!

Grimario
22-06-2013, 11:27 AM
The Jesmond Jam is the annual tournament held at the Jesmond Disc Golf course each year.
On July the 6th - 7th 2013 the Newcastle Disc Golf Club will be hosting the Jam Packed Weekend.

Schedule:
6th July Saturday: Tombstone Event at Jesmond Park
7th July Sunday: The Jesmond Jam, on the 4 different tournament layouts.

Saturday
Midday Rego open
1pm-2pm Rolling start of Tombstone
3:30pm prize presentations
4pm finish

Sunday
9am Rego open
9:30am Players meeting
10am start
Midday Lunch
1pm Afternoon Round
3pm (finals if required)
3:30 awards and presentation
4pm Finish

Costs:
Saturday Tombstone $5
Sunday Jesmond Jam $20

What is included in entry costs

Tombstone:
- Prize pack for the winner
- Other assorted prizes

Jesmond Jam:
- Lunch
- Prizes for CTP's on both rounds
- Prizes for each division winner and runners up

Register at http://www.australiandiscgolf.com/events/register_generic.php?event_id=64

The Facebook page will also have information on the event schedule, latest updates will be posted there.
https://www.facebook.com/events/459428064133988/

The Jesmond Jam will be a PDGA rated round, along with an ADG B-Tier event.

First 25 registered players also receive a disc and mini from sponsors Gateway Disc Sports.

GazFish35
22-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Grim..... D you know if the Sydney based disc checkers are looking for more space for new courses?

Lawson golf course, in the blue mountains is an old 9 hole course carved into the bush...... Hasn't been an operating golf club for some years and bmcc are looking to re-purpose it.

Grimario
22-06-2013, 04:23 PM
They sure are. Will have a word to somebody tonight. Do you have contacts?

GazFish35
22-06-2013, 04:54 PM
http://www.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/files/LawsonNewsletter3.pdf

As far as I know, it's still oh being used as an off leash dog park and the ounces are till wanting ideas.

Grimario
22-06-2013, 05:12 PM
That's dated 2005!

Grimario
23-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Mr Fish... any update/response?

GazFish35
23-06-2013, 07:14 PM
It's still looks like it did in 2005.
It's not really being used for anything oth than a dog park, by a few dog walkers.
And as far as I know council are still wanting to see it used more.

Ripe for the picking I'd reckon.
Get your Sydney based disc chuckers onto it.
Disc golf would be massive in the mountains.

Grimario
01-07-2013, 01:42 PM
It's still looks like it did in 2005.
It's not really being used for anything oth than a dog park, by a few dog walkers.
And as far as I know council are still wanting to see it used more.

Ripe for the picking I'd reckon.
Get your Sydney based disc chuckers onto it.
Disc golf would be massive in the mountains.

One of our Sydney based players said he was going to check out a potential new course this weekend... and turns out to be the exact same place. He reckons two of the holes are designated dog off leash areas but I don't think that will be an issue as 100% of the course up here in Newcastle is 100% human off leash area.

Grimario
01-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Also...

JESMOND JAM THIS WEEKEND.

If you have even the remotest interest in DG, come down on either day for a throw.

GazFish35
01-07-2013, 01:55 PM
One of our Sydney based players said he was going to check out a potential new course this weekend... and turns out to be the exact same place. He reckons two of the holes are designated dog off leash areas but I don't think that will be an issue as 100% of the course up here in Newcastle is 100% human off leash area.

I hope it works out? It would pretty widely adopted as a great activity in the mountains.

Grimario
03-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Turns out he went to look at the course because the guy up here I talked to about it gave the guy in Sydney the info without passing on to me that he had done so. Not that mysterious at all.

Also... weather is looking sensation, COME THROW PLASTIC ON SATURDAY. From Midday. Or come on Sunday, $20, lunch included.

GazFish35
16-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Grim.

Any word on lawson golf course?

Katoomba golf club has just closed too. Went oob on July 1 apparently.

Grimario
16-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Grim.

Any word on lawson golf course?

Katoomba golf club has just closed too. Went oob on July 1 apparently.

Think they went for a throw down there midweek either last week or the week before. All involved loved it, tremendous spot.

And another spot in the mountains... could become DG central.

GazFish35
16-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Plans for a permenant course?

Grimario
16-07-2013, 09:05 PM
HA, if we had the funds we would probably have 3-4 more permanent courses right now. Problem is that the baskets cost SO MUCH and we don't have the monies to put stuff in. Rathmines has been approved, just need to get funds to do the installation. Next park will probably be Upjohn at Rydalmere (I think) and then hopefully Greenhill Gardens or Walka Water Works up in Maitland. But that's a long, long way away unless we get ourselves a rich benefactor. If only Tinks would incorporate us into HSG, 50k a year would be plenty to cover costs.

GazFish35
16-07-2013, 09:44 PM
They should approach the blue moutains council.

Do you guys apply for state govt grants?

Grimario
16-07-2013, 10:15 PM
They should approach the blue moutains council.

Do you guys apply for state govt grants?

Yep. DSR, local government and federal grants. Apparently a bunch got turned down in the last batch.

Grimario
17-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Any local businesses (or just folk that want to put their face on one of the tee pads)...

This year the NSW Open is offering the chance to sponsor a hole.

Hole sponsorship is $25 per hole and will allow you to put your business/club logo or personal artwork at the tee area for the hole. You'll have a special mention in the Caddy booklet as well, and your details will be posted on the NSW Open page where there are individual hole descriptions.

We all remember the ridiculous hole 18 at Nationals last year, Dom's head with 'that' hair staring you down before you throw. See if you can impress the disc golf world and be creative to come up with the most annoying picture to put people off their game at the tee!

There will only be 18 holes available, so first in first served.

pv4
17-07-2013, 10:10 AM
What date is NSW open?

Grimario
17-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Friday 6th to Sunday 8th September.

https://www.facebook.com/events/477797998972973/

Grimario
17-07-2013, 02:44 PM
This is a walk through of the proposed layout for the NSW Open.

http://newcastlediscgolf.com/nswopencourse/

pv4
17-07-2013, 02:48 PM

Wow. Didn't realise it was going to stretch that far. There's some definite walking to take place! Is the players dinner at the Bowlo?

Grimario
17-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Wow. Didn't realise it was going to stretch that far. There's some definite walking to take place! Is the players dinner at the Bowlo?

No idea, Neil is TD so he will work something out.

Given that we have people likely staying at various peoples houses in the area, we will probably have it at somewhere more accessible. Dunno, Neil will organise it!

Grimario
18-07-2013, 05:48 PM

Layout has been updated with some changes to hole 1 (shortened, OB added, pin moved), 11 (combined old 11/12, horrible double tunnel hole now) and new hole 18 (out on the point). Looks tough. Ergh.

Grimario
23-07-2013, 08:32 AM
pv4 and other west side Lake Mac folk...

Newcastle League day for August has been moved to Rathmines to play the proposed tournament layout. August 11th is the date from 10am or so.

https://www.facebook.com/events/508051415932699/?ref=2

Grimario
05-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Rathmines disc golf this weekend. If you aren't there pv4... well, I will probably cry a bit.

Grimario
05-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Who are the Maitland folk who have expressed an interest in this at any point in time?

Scouted Stockade Hill on the weekend - awesome spot for a course.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b214/Grimario/Stockade%20Hill%20DG/StockadeHillDG_zps2292367f.jpg

Grimario
28-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Nsw open, 2 weekends time. Link up a few posts

GazFish35
28-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Nsw open, 2 weekends time. Link up a few posts

A colleague's Husband has entred and is very much looking forward to it.

I believe he contacted you and assumed we knew each other by more than our online monikers. :wacko:

Grimario
31-08-2013, 03:57 PM
A colleague's Husband has entred and is very much looking forward to it.

I believe he contacted you and assumed we knew each other by more than our online monikers. :wacko:

Aha, really?

Is it someone called Kevin? If so, apparently he spoke to Neil, not me. I've had one person message me on FB but I did actually kind of know them.

GazFish35
09-09-2013, 08:38 PM
how'd it all go?

Grimario
11-09-2013, 07:00 PM
I only went on the Saturday. Not playing at the moment with a busted knee and sitting around for 8 hours on Saturday was bad enough.

Grimario
16-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Who are the Maitland folk who have expressed an interest in this at any point in time?

Scouted Stockade Hill on the weekend - awesome spot for a course.

Council endorsed, huzzah! Once I sort out the PL insurance, we are going to have our first league day in Maitland.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99759374@N05/sets/72157634905819069/

Course is potentially awesome.

Grimario
08-10-2013, 03:49 PM
I know everyone on here is SUPER KEEN for more Disc Golf posts from me...

http://www.newcastlediscgolf.com/november-2013-league-day/

Stockade Hill Heritage Park, 3rd November from 8:30am or so. :gent:

Grimario
13-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Disc golf in Maitland was both awesome and awful, all at once.

High 30's, gusty gale force winds... and it clashed with Bitter & Twisted :(

Dozen regulars, half a dozen locals who had seen us advertising on twitter/facebook as well as in the Mercury. Good day, mostly :gent:

militiamon
14-11-2013, 01:14 AM
What else has been happening Disc Golf-wise?

boz-monaut
14-11-2013, 06:12 AM
you need to go to www.newcastlediscgolf.net (www.lemonparty.org) to keep up with the latest happenings

Grimario
14-11-2013, 09:21 AM
boz, it's www.newcastlediscgolf.com.... not lemonparty.org :lulzturtle:

What else has been happening Disc Golf-wise?

League days for the year all done, I think. Every Thursday we play doubles at Jesmond from 5:30pm. That will run till a week or two before Christmas then start back up a week or two after New Years and continue till Daylight savings ends.

The national tour is all sorted for next year. Jesmond hosting a B-tier event again, not sure of date. The Aus championships will be out at Rathmines and NSW Open in Sydney.

boz-monaut
14-11-2013, 10:05 AM
apologies, it must be malicious code put there by the hackers

every time I post a link it seems to divert to that website

damn hackers

furns
14-11-2013, 10:22 AM
they seem to love posting pics of Griff and a giant dong as well

they cant be all bad

Grimario
14-11-2013, 10:22 AM
apologies, it must be malicious code put there by the hackers

every time I post a link it seems to divert to that website

damn hackers

PS you SOB. I clicked that on the train whilst on my phone this morning. FU!

hawk
16-11-2013, 05:31 PM
rooooooofl. New bookmark. lol

Grimario
28-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Last league day of the year at Jesmond this Sunday, 10am

Last league day of the year at Newington on 15th, 10am

Grimario
11-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Farewell Grim BBQ at Newington this Sunday. DG from 10am, BBQ around 12:30.

I am the only one going from the foz.

:(

Jeterpool
11-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Farewell Grim BBQ at Newington this Sunday. DG from 10am, BBQ around 12:30.

I am the only one going from the foz.

:(

Where are you going? Moving?

Grimario
11-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Moving to Adelaide in January.

Grimario
11-08-2014, 06:41 AM
How bloody good does Lake Mac look with a permanent DG course installed?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BurIA-UCAAAEo_G.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BurHmwQCQAAzrZM.jpg

plague
18-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Was out at Jesmond park with Plague Jnr yesterday and stumbled across a poor soul playing this game by himself (practicing maybe?).
Someone informed me that it's a 'Uni thing' (I'm too dumb for big school).

Made me think there's still plenty of cuts Joe Hockey can make to the education budget.

Grimario
18-08-2014, 11:25 AM
A Uni thing? There is no affiliation whatsoever with the university... not sure who has told you that.

plague
18-08-2014, 11:29 AM
A Uni thing? There is no affiliation whatsoever with the university... not sure who has told you that.
I think they meant it was popular amongst Uni students.

That is a species of people I know nothing about, apart from creeping all over the chix at the bar on the hill when bands used to play there.

Grimario
18-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Ah, I see. Find that a bit odd too since I think only a handful of the people I played with were at uni. Maybe they were confusing it with ultimate.

plague
18-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Maybe they were confusing it with ultimate.

What?
There's more games you can play with those things?

Grimario
18-08-2014, 12:10 PM
What?
There's more games you can play with those things?

Ultimate - a game with lots of running around. Think netball combined with American football for scoring touchdowns. For fit blokes like pv4.
Disc golf - a game with lots of sedate walking around. Think walking combined with throwing a frisbee every 100m. For fat blokes like Grimario.

Grimario
18-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Also, for anyone heading to the snow... be sure to check out the newest permanent course in Australia at Jindabyne. Installed over the weekend at The Claypits, backed by some Olympic skier (Scott Kneller), designed by ADG president.

pv4
19-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Ultimate - a game with lots of running around. Think netball combined with American football for scoring touchdowns. For fit blokes like pv4.

I played ultimate at uni with militia & stretch for a while there. Man is it fun! Netball combined with gridiron is arguably the best way to describe it, but it doesn't do it justice. It is SO much fun, and if you play it properly is one of the most cardio intensive sports I've ever played.

Ultimate uses a different type of disc to DG.

Here is the first clip I found of the Newcastle ultimate team doing their thang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlYKb21nY2M

Plague - was the guy you saw DG-ing throwing rockets at like 100m+? If so I hazard a guess you ran into Chilli - arguably Newy's finest ultimate product.

Grimario
19-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Did Chilli go to worlds in Europe? Not sure if he is back if so.

plague
19-08-2014, 01:50 PM
I
Plague - was the guy you saw DG-ing throwing rockets at like 100m+? If so I hazard a guess you ran into Chilli - arguably Newy's finest ultimate product.

Nah, he looked about 20, with long hair and was lobbing it like you would a tennis ball for a 4yr old to hit.
And pretty sure he was stoned as all hell cause he was seriously enjoying himself.

(At that point I walked away and cried a tear of sadness).

Grimario
21-09-2014, 11:18 AM
You should all come down to SA in 3 weeks time.

http://imgur.com/a/W3gxF

Bon
30-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Grim, you would be frothing up..
My roommate has been working in Whistler for the last 6 or 7 seasons, he was telling me all about the disc golf courses there and how hectic they are.. He was playing about 4-5 times a week, loving life..

Grimario
02-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Grim, you would be frothing up..
My roommate has been working in Whistler for the last 6 or 7 seasons, he was telling me all about the disc golf courses there and how hectic they are.. He was playing about 4-5 times a week, loving life..

Hope you pointed him towards the local scene in Newcastle.

Bon
02-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Hope you pointed him towards the local scene in Newcastle.

Sure did, hes keen to get down to Jizzo, or even head out to WLG's neck of the woods..

MFKS
02-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Grimario You tried this game??

http://www.footgolf.org.au/

Combine your two great loves disc golf and football in the one game

Grimario
02-10-2014, 04:55 PM
Sure did, hes keen to get down to Jizzo, or even head out to WLG's neck of the woods..

Hook him up on FB if you want...

https://www.facebook.com/NewcastleDiscGolf

Or...

http://www.newcastlediscgolf.com/
http://nswdiscgolf.com/

Grimario You tried this game??

http://www.footgolf.org.au/

Combine your two great loves disc golf and football in the one game

No, it combines golf with football. It doesn't combine discs with football.

Grimario
02-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Rathmines Open Day

October 1, 2014
October 12th, the Rathmines Disc Golf Course will have its grand opening day.

The official Opening will occur at 11am.

There will be discs to try, local players to show people new to Disc Golf how it works, a BBQ lunch and prizes throughout the day.

For established players, the day will also double up as the Newcastle League for October.

If there are any questions please contact Neil at:
neil.roberts@nswdiscgolf.com

For more information about the course please visit the Rathmines page.

Grimario
14-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Next Thursday, 20th. Doubles at Jesmond from 3pm. The best players from around the country plus a few from OS will be having a throw before BBQ at 7pm.

Won't see any of you there!

gd___
20-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Good to catch up with you tonight Grimario, good luck in the tournament this weekend.

Grimario
21-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Good to catch up with you tonight Grimario, good luck in the tournament this weekend.

You too mate.

And today, too hot. Am currently dead.

Grimario
22-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Anyone that wants to come and watch the best disc golfers in Australia, lead card of the Australian Championships is tomorrow at 900am, styles point.

One of them includes Chilli, local ultimate star who is a three strokes off the top.

Grimario
23-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Tops of 44 today.

I've called it quits already.

Macca
26-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Don't have any specialised skills in throwing of plastic but this looks like a bit of fun. I live at Rathies, when's the next Style's Point gig on? And I read earlier people usually bring along spare discs for muppets like me?

Grimario
26-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Probably a bit of a break for a while. This weekend is a tournament in Tasmania and there might be one league day before Christmas. Check Newcastle Disc Golf on fb for details.

gd___
26-11-2014, 08:56 PM
No specialised skills here either, I hope to get generalized skills one day. It is fun, you can't only take throwing plastic around very seriously no matter how hard you try.

Thurday doubles at Jesmond is good for us beginers because when you throw a wayward shot you get to take the next one from your partners good shot.

There was some talk of a come and try day at Rathmines in early December. I expect they will plan it more now that the Aussie champs are over.

Grimario
26-11-2014, 10:57 PM
PDGA report is up.

http://www.pdga.com/blazing-rounds-blistering-heat

And yours truly chest deep in the lake recovering my first ever disc.

http://i.imgur.com/0tDwdMa.jpg

Grimario
17-02-2015, 07:00 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO3ZSkFt8Cw

Grimario
22-02-2015, 11:57 PM
gd, did I read it correctly that a Jets fan that wasn't me won their division at The Sizzler in ACT this weekend?

GazFish35
03-05-2015, 09:04 PM
https://www.etsy.com/listing/187815771/micro-mini-bottle-cap-disc-golf-goal

Disc golf just got my attention.

gd___
04-05-2015, 08:39 PM
gd, did I read it correctly that a Jets fan that wasn't me won their division at The Sizzler in ACT this weekend?
Hi Grim, I missed this before, no I played the Sizzler like the Jets would, gave up an 8 shot lead on the last 9 holes and lost on the second playoff hole. Managed to hold on and win 3 up on Juan in Sydney a few week back though.

I want one of these.

Grimario
07-05-2015, 10:39 AM

We don't play with beer lids but we do have a Mini Disc Golf Federation as well... http://minidiscgolf.com/

Generally though, it's played by people who are camping for DG events. Hoping to have a little 3 hole course set up at the caravan park where everyone is staying for the South Australian Open in a few weeks.

http://i.imgur.com/l4E8Z9W.jpg?1

Grimario
18-10-2015, 03:56 PM
Nsw open was this weekend. I beat gd, that's all that matters.

russjaybee
23-02-2016, 05:02 PM
Yooooooooo calling out all the Disc Golf aficionados!

My mates and I have been throwing a disc around and are keen to give Jesmond park a run.
What would you suggest as the best entry level pack to dip our toes in to the water?

- I see most starter packs have the 3 discs (driver, mid, short), is that best?
- What's the best option for purchasing said discs?

Would something like this http://frisbeeshop.com.au/collections/disc-bundles/products/innova-disc-golf-beginner-pack?variant=3485444929 be a good option?

Cheers

Grimario
23-02-2016, 05:40 PM
:brrr: I'm needed!

Frisbee shop (WA) or Discology (Tassie) are your best Australian options for an online purchase.

http://discology.com.au/store/#!/Disc-golf-bundles/c/1537135/offset=0&sort=nameAsc

Though if you want something sooner, I could hook you up with either of the guys that have stock for the Newcastle club. JJ lives in Mayfield, Neil lives out at Blackalls Park but would most likely be able to drop discs in or meet you at the park.

Neil would also have some beginner discs that are club stock so you could probably go for a throw with him and try before you buy... plus get some advice from one of Australia's top 5 players.

Grimario
04-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Hey gypv4o, there's a new course down your way.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/central-coast/to-swing-or-fling-first-disc-golf-course-at-lake-munmorah-a-stroke-of-luck-for-players/news-story/39ae8b8533dee2dc9bd33b200d26efad

Grimario
17-06-2016, 10:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJjrkdigzbY&feature=youtu.be

This has basically blanketed the US in the last week. Wish it had gotten some coverage here of some sort.

Grimario
30-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Newcastle league day this weekend at Rathmines.

Grimario
03-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Triumphant return for me, winning Newcastle league day today.

belchardo
15-08-2016, 06:54 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-15/canberra's-frisbee-golfers-hunt-for-new-home-as-cemetery-expands/7733740

wattup grim.

Grimario
15-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Dead Canberran bastards, stealing our disc golf courses.

Was also on the news, around 36 minute mark. http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/abc-news-sunday-act/NN1609C033S00

Grimario
06-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Jesmond Jam this weekend! https://www.facebook.com/events/921625587966558/

Also, Thursday doubles is back tonight. Love DST. pv4, you should come out.

Phyllis G. Saldivar
25-10-2016, 08:46 PM
I have been super depressed these part few months (life issues) so I decided to pick up disc golf as a new hobby. Man, am I happy I did. There is something about disc golf that is so therapeutic. Since I've started playing a couple of weeks ago, I can tell my mental health is improving tremendously. Walking around chucking discs just clears my brain of whatever I can't stop thinking about. Now time for me to step out of my comfort zone and start asking people around the course if I can play a round with them.

Grimario
01-11-2016, 02:45 PM
NSW Open was last weekend down at Jindabyne. Saturday was amazing weather, low to mid 20's and just a perfect day for disc golf.

Sunday, not so much...

https://www.facebook.com/kairi.koobakene/videos/1171956752859861/

Grimario
11-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Oi pv4. Last league day of month at styles point at 1pm. Come play.

Grimario
31-01-2017, 10:27 AM
Have spent the last two weeks in Perth with 4 days of that doing social media coverage of the Men's Pro chase card.
These are my two favourite holes that I shot...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP1gVjel_gd/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BP1Yl7qFGFf/

Here's two others from an earlier round... it was 40-43 on Thursday to Saturday :(

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPziCvIlN9L/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPzylO8l3X_/

belchardo
07-02-2017, 03:47 PM
yo grim...

http://www.sport.act.gov.au/grants/sport-and-recreation-grants-program/2017-srgp-recipients

$20K to a course in Canberra

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=19fQvbfdmzt27gZtigHM8iqidlKo&ll=-35.2368080490457%2C149.0756682772129&z=18

Grimario
07-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Sweeeeeet!

I knew they were looking for capital assistance given their existing course is getting eaten up by a cemetery expansion.

WolfMan
08-02-2017, 05:45 AM
Sweeeeeet!

I knew they were looking for capital assistance given their existing course is getting eaten up by a cemetery expansion.

There's a terrible joke in there somewhere

Jetmaster
14-03-2017, 01:20 PM
Here you go fanbois...

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4528342/dog-park-disc-golf-in-vision-for-croudace-bay/?cs=305

Off-leash dogs, disc golf in vision for Thomas H Halton Park in Croudace Bay

hawk
14-03-2017, 09:49 PM
just about to post that in and Bam, already up. Disc Golf for Com games!!

Grimario
15-03-2017, 02:06 PM
Glad you guys are looking out for me.

Jetmaster
16-03-2017, 02:17 PM
First thing anyone thinks of when they see the term "disc golf" is "foz...Grim".

Grimario
02-08-2018, 09:10 AM
yo grim...

http://www.sport.act.gov.au/grants/sport-and-recreation-grants-program/2017-srgp-recipients

$20K to a course in Canberra

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=19fQvbfdmzt27gZtigHM8iqidlKo&ll=-35.2368080490457%2C149.0756682772129&z=18

That John Knight course is awesome btw. Great little beginner friendly course.

Jesmond Jam is coming up in a few weekends time. https://www.facebook.com/events/468533920227032/ We've got a tombstone event on Saturday where you get assigned a set number of throws based on how good you are and your tombstone gets planted where your last throw finishes. Sunday is two rounds of 18.

And I just spent the weekend up near Stanthorpe playing in the Queensland Championships. Amazing course. Legs hate me. Nearly 70,000 steps over 4 days, up and down a granite mountain at the aptly named Granite Mountain course.

https://imgur.com/a/wn5T6Sa

Grimario
29-09-2018, 12:39 PM
Oi coasties (Bon and pv4) - we have a charity fundraising DG day tomorrow at Koala Park, Colongra. Come down, have a gold coin donation snag sanger and play some DG for $5. All funds go to Steptember.

Bon
02-10-2018, 08:06 AM
Oi coasties (pv4) - we have a charity fundraising DG day tomorrow at Koala Park, Colongra. Come down, have a gold coin donation snag sanger and play some DG for $5. All funds go to Steptember.

Only just saw this then..
I had to google where Colongra even is!!! Bloody Doylo..
How did it go, mate?

Grimario
02-10-2018, 09:36 AM
Was good. Bunch of folk showed up, had maybe another 15 random locals playing during the day as well. Raised over $500 for charity.

Grimario
17-02-2019, 02:00 PM
Oi blokes and sheila's... Some Aussie disc golf for ya.

Aus Champs 2018 from Canberra.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4_t3454p5esL5uBsIHbMu96cwJocoB6d

belchardo
17-02-2019, 02:34 PM
ran through weston park this morning. bit of disc golf going on. did not get hit by a disc.

Grimario
17-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Yeah, The Sizzler is on this weekend which is the ACT Open happening each Feb. Lower turnout this year with the Aus Champs there only a few months ago.

The Dunster
17-02-2019, 07:46 PM
Oi blokes and sheila's... Some Aussie disc golf for ya.

Aus Champs 2018 from Canberra.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4_t3454p5esL5uBsIHbMu96cwJocoB6d

It looks very difficult and I'd imagine your throwing arm would be feeling it the next day.

baldrick
17-02-2019, 08:08 PM
Watched some guys go round in Queenstown NZ a week or so back. Looked like fun.

Grimario
17-02-2019, 09:03 PM
It looks very difficult and I'd imagine your throwing arm would be feeling it the next day.

It looks more difficult because that day was some of the windiest weather any of us had ever played in. It's still difficult to be consistent in normal weather but not as hard as this viewing.

And arm wise, I only get a bit of pain if I am throwing a sidearm frequently and that's more to do with terrible technique.

Grimario
14-10-2020, 09:32 PM
Now that the Jets are dead, I do hope that this forum can be turned into a place for us to talk about all things Newcastle disc golf related.

Like the Aussie Disc Golf Day.

https://www.australiandiscgolf.com/the-2020-aussie-disc-golf-day/

It's even got a catchy tune to go with it.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1516168765237705

Frodo
14-10-2020, 11:28 PM
Now that the Jets are dead, I do hope that this forum can be turned into a place for us to talk about all things Newcastle disc golf related.

Like the Aussie Disc Golf Day.

https://www.australiandiscgolf.com/the-2020-aussie-disc-golf-day/

It's even got a catchy tune to go with it.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1516168765237705

I honestly can't see any negatives to this.

Grimario
15-10-2020, 09:05 AM
That's because there are none.

pv4
15-10-2020, 11:13 AM
I do hope that this forum can be turned into a place for us to talk about all things Newcastle disc golf related.

https://gmind.s3.amazonaws.com/upload/photos/2020/07/E5N64vuVbeyhiqClQI5c_13_1d24c3ade3ffb285f6c0d1e2ed 71bdac_image.jpg

Grimario
15-10-2020, 02:33 PM
Touche

Grimario
23-10-2020, 05:27 PM
Kind of happened quickly but we have over 300 people playing in this event now.

https://i.imgur.com/lEDj7M3.jpg

belchardo
23-10-2020, 08:26 PM
will there be a livestream?

Grimario
24-10-2020, 07:48 AM
Yes, but only in Kayo. We sold the broadcast rights so I can get rich and screw the sport

Grimario
16-11-2020, 10:41 AM
Kind of happened quickly but we have over 300 people playing in this event now.

https://i.imgur.com/lEDj7M3.jpg

Haven't updated since then but I know everyone is chomping at the bit for info... but we're 30 short of 600 players now.

Grimario
30-06-2021, 10:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lpcB5PJBVo

That was pretty neat. Watching it on live coverage on the weekend was also pretty epic. So good.

Bon
06-07-2021, 08:51 AM
Pretty amazing stuff..

Why haven't you grown a ponytail like that, Grim??

Grimario
06-07-2021, 09:06 AM
I used to mate... a long time ago.

Grimario
22-09-2021, 12:24 PM
I know disc golf isn't for everyone, kind of like all that shit music Bon posts about, but whatever.

We have had to cancel the Australian Championships again because of COVID restrictions and instead are having individual LGA events around the country.

Lake Mac - https://www.facebook.com/events/4367333913362811
Newy - https://www.facebook.com/events/1017631069004122
Coasties - https://www.facebook.com/events/225463802933853/

Bon
22-09-2021, 12:25 PM
I know disc golf isn't for everyone, kind of like all that shit music Bon posts about, but whatever.

We have had to cancel the Australian Championships again because of COVID restrictions and instead are having individual LGA events around the country.

Lake Mac - https://www.facebook.com/events/4367333913362811
Newy - https://www.facebook.com/events/1017631069004122
Coasties - https://www.facebook.com/events/225463802933853/

:lulzturtle:

Swifts
22-09-2021, 01:40 PM
Thinking about giving disc golf a try on the weekend at Jesmond. Stupid question, do we just use a frisbee? Or an Aerobie?

Grimario
22-09-2021, 02:03 PM
Thinking about giving disc golf a try on the weekend at Jesmond. Stupid question, do we just use a frisbee? Or an Aerobie?

You can throw anything you like just for a casual wander in the park but there are specific approved discs for use. The Newcastle club has a "shop" based in Newcastle and I could give you a contact or two if you want to get some discs or possibly loan some.

Swifts
22-09-2021, 02:47 PM
You can throw anything you like just for a casual wander in the park but there are specific approved discs for use. The Newcastle club has a "shop" based in Newcastle and I could give you a contact or two if you want to get some discs or possibly loan some.

Thanks mate! I'll just use the old Aerobie to begin with, if we enjoy it and go back I might get in touch with the Newcastle shop.

belchardo
23-09-2021, 01:28 PM
You can throw anything you like

what about a shoe?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Grimario
23-09-2021, 02:05 PM
what about a shoe?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Sure, why not? We played at a course in Nerang a few years ago on one of the holes there was a massive double ended purple dildo, so whatever flies best for you.

belchardo
23-09-2021, 02:13 PM
Sure, why not? We played at a course in Nerang a few years ago on one of the holes there was a massive double ended purple dildo, so whatever flies best for you.

:gent:

Premy
17-12-2021, 12:25 PM
Hey Grim, any recommendations for a Pub in Adelaide that will have Paramount +?

Jeterpool
17-12-2021, 12:44 PM

:rof:

Grimario
17-12-2021, 12:50 PM

****ed if I know. I haven't lived in that steaming turd of a town in over 5 years.

Good disc golf course in the city though, just off the CBD.

Jetmaster
17-12-2021, 03:42 PM
Might be fun for those of us not yet tried....

https://www.mymaitland.com.au/event/disc-golf/

Grimario
17-12-2021, 06:45 PM
Might be fun for those of us not yet tried....

https://www.mymaitland.com.au/event/disc-golf/

A course I designed like 7 or 8 years ago is finally getting a 6 basket install. Woohoo.

Jetmaster
18-12-2021, 09:39 AM
A course I designed like 7 or 8 years ago is finally getting a 6 basket install. Woohoo.

Just hope they clean up the used rubbers and the like each morning seeing it is Maitland's numero uno cruising place.

The Dunster
18-12-2021, 12:55 PM
Just hope they clean up the used rubbers and the like each morning seeing it is Maitland's numero uno cruising place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0G7F81LTZw

Jetmaster
20-12-2021, 02:15 PM
:lol:

Grimario
07-01-2022, 05:30 PM
It's done. Installed today.

Go play.

Grimario
11-01-2022, 02:49 PM
https://www.facebook.com/mymaitland/posts/10165978178165249

Bon
11-01-2022, 03:12 PM
It's done. Installed today.

Go play.

Nice work mate!
Is it a sport where I can casually walk around with the pram and play? (I'm getting a bit tired of getting whooped by the Mrs in Uno atm.. haha)

Grimario
11-01-2022, 03:34 PM
Nice work mate!
Is it a sport where I can casually walk around with the pram and play? (I'm getting a bit tired of getting whooped by the Mrs in Uno atm.. haha)

Australia's #1 player does exactly that... that's him hiding behind the sign.

Grimario
22-01-2022, 12:07 PM
Finally got to play park today. Really good small course and the kind that locals could get behind. Needs better signage and council need to do something about lack of facilities. Toilet is perma-locked and there doesn't seem to be a tap anywhere in the park.

Grimario
26-01-2022, 05:01 PM
Last come & try day thingie at Maitland tomorrow afternoon.

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/disc-golf-evening-session-tickets-231243444367?aff=erelexpmlt

There's been over 200 rounds recorded at the course since it was installed, so hopefully that pushes this towards being a permanent fixture.