PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Licence Requirements for NPL

The General
01-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Licence requirements cause headaches for National Premier League coaches By CRAIG KERRY Feb. 28, 2014, 10 p.m.
NORTHERN NSW Football is likely to reassess the need for National Premier League first-grade coaches to have a B-licence for 2015 after a challenging and as yet incomplete process to get them up to C-licence level for this season.
Promotion-winning coach Glen Chapman, (now at Broadmeadow), 2013 coach of the year David Tanchevski (Lambton Jaffas) and Edgeworth’s Gary Wilson and Robert Jovanovski do not have the required C-licence for the inaugural NPL season, which starts in five weeks.
Chapman and Tanchevski have completed the theory part of the licence course, which was held over six weekends late last year, but both have practical aspects they are yet to complete to the satisfaction of NNSWF technical director David Smith.
Wilson, who is suspended for the first eight weeks of the season, and Jovanovski did not attend the course, but Edgeworth supremo Warren Mills said the pair needed only to ‘‘top-up’’ their existing accreditation, which would happen in the coming weeks.
However, Edgeworth technical director Jim Foley, who has a B-licence, appears set to stand in as coach. The dual role is allowed under the rules for the new competition, which has replaced the NNSW State League.
Charlestown’s Shane Pryce, Hamilton’s Michael Bolch, Lake Macquarie’s Gary Rowe and South Cardiff’s Greg Asquith earned their C-licence in the off-season. Adamstown’s Anthony Richards and Weston’s Steve Piggott already have a B-licence.
NNSWF operations manager Alan Nisbet was confident those close to finishing their course would complete the program before the season started.
A jump to B-licence standards for next season was slated, but most coaches told the Herald the course, which involves a $3000, two-week intensive program at the AIS in Canberra, was a bridge too far for ‘‘part-time’’ coaches earning far less than their metropolitan counterparts.
‘‘I was happy to do the C-licence and get a qualification, but to do the B-licence, it puts lot of pressure on your family and work situation,’’ Tanchevski said. ‘‘Being a part-time coach and not even being paid a part-time wage to coach, it’s unrealistic.’’
Chapman agreed: ‘‘We’ve got jobs as well and we’re not being paid at a professional level to coach.’’
Nisbet said NNSWF would review the need for B-licence benchmarks for 2015.
‘‘It could be that we may need to sit back a bit and take a look at it again,’’ he said.
The federation was working hard to ensure all coaches in all grades were up to standard.
‘‘We are working closely with clubs now in regards to the lower-grade requirements and we’ve put on some extra courses for them,’’ Nisbet said. ‘‘It’s still our intention to make sure they all comply with it, but it’s obviously a big exercise.’’
● Only five NPL clubs are likely to start their State Cup campaign tomorrow after games at Lisle Carr Oval were postponed due to rain.
At Weston Oval, Broadmeadow take on Thornton from 11am, the Jaffas play Belmont-Swansea at 12.30pm and Hamilton meet Singleton at 2pm. Weston play Adamstown at 3.30pm.
State Cup games this weekend have replaced the annual Charity Shield fixture. All funds raised from the weekend games go to the Hunter rescue helicopter service.

What are people's thoughts on this? Initially coaches who didnt have their licence weren't supposed to coach.

football_macigian23
29-02-2016, 11:51 PM
Couldn't find a thread for it..

How many of you have done coaching courses through NNSWF? Is it up to the individual to run sessions in front of a group or do you get grouped together, say into groups of 4?

Thinking about doing one, just not sure of how they format them!

onlooker
01-03-2016, 02:19 PM

How many of you have done coaching courses through NNSWF? Is it up to the individual to run sessions in front of a group or do you get grouped together, say into groups of 4?

I did a goal keeper one years ago now and we were put into groups of two. We then were given a subject which we worked on together but both had to present a section of that session on our own but could refer and support each other if we missed anything or to elaborate if we think needed.

boz-monaut
01-03-2016, 03:31 PM
there's a few of us on here doing the Senior Licence this weekend

will let you know how it goes

Goatscheese
01-03-2016, 08:56 PM

I got my C licence through Northern, at that level you spend a total of 7 days (spread over 3 weekends though some federations do it for the whole week), there is some theory and then the practical is mainly you are put into teams but do it individually in front of the group. In the final weekend your group works together to make a session plan and then as a group present in front of everyone else.

If you are doing one of the community coaching courses, then you tend to get put in a group of 4 told what you will be doing and present as a group although one of you will be taking the lead for each of the four individual sections of a training session. Since Skill Acq (or whatever it is called now) is now in three sections I would say you will be put in groups of three.

They can be worthwhile depending who you get running the session, I did my community ones in Sydney two were good one wasn't that good and it felt like a wasted weekend.

football_macigian23
06-03-2016, 11:37 PM

How did it go?

winner
06-03-2016, 11:49 PM

What is the senior licence Boz? I thought it was B licence, C licence and C youth licence?

football_macigian23
07-03-2016, 12:45 AM
What is the senior licence Boz? I thought it was B licence, C licence and C youth licence?

Senior license is for players above the age of 17.. The next step is C license

Goatscheese
07-03-2016, 10:51 PM
Senior license is for players above the age of 17.. The next step is C license

Really depends how, they recommend that you do at least one of the community courses before doing C licence. You can start at C Licence as well which could be your first step or doing any community course which would be a step before C licence.

boz-monaut
07-03-2016, 11:01 PM

to be brutally honest it was crap

the guy running the course was rubbish and a poor communicator

at no stage was there any introduction or explanation of what the purpose of the course was and what the learning outcomes were (or how they fit in with the FFA's plan)

there was no discussion of tactics, the entire course was just about running training sessions which appeared needlessly complicated and were really poorly explained by the bloke running the show

it was a two day course but I didn't bother going to the second day, wasting one day was enough

and it's a real shame too because I was really looking forward to doing the course and to learning something

Goatscheese
08-03-2016, 12:12 AM

at no stage was there any introduction or explanation of what the purpose of the course was and what the learning outcomes were (or how they fit in with the FFA's plan)

there was no discussion of tactics, the entire course was just about running training sessions which appeared needlessly complicated and were really poorly explained by the bloke running the show

it was a two day course but I didn't bother going to the second day, wasting one day was enough

and it's a real shame too because I was really looking forward to doing the course and to learning something

That was the same with my experiences when doing the senior license, may be an issue with the actual course rather than the person, unless we had the same one though I doubt as mine was in Sydney.

football_macigian23
08-03-2016, 01:50 AM

That's not good at all!!

Did they get individuals to run the sessions or was it done in groups etc?

Tonester
08-03-2016, 06:25 AM
What I found amusing when I did my Senior License years ago were the participants carrying their dirty big notebooks following the instructor around like puppy dogs agreeing with everything they are told about anything, how they coach, are going to change etc when you knew that the minute they returned to their club it would be just as it was before. In all honesty I believe these courses are nothing but revenue raisers.

pv4
08-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Who ran the course?

I talked to people who did it a few years back when Craig Deans ran it and, Jerks-shit-coach-related jokes aside, they thought he was terrific and really enjoyed the course.

boz-monaut
08-03-2016, 11:01 AM
the course was the by some Scottish bloke

nice guy but very poor communicator - would refer to field locations by number but hadn't explained it (and I mean drill field, not standard football field locations, we all understand those)

Retro Jet
08-03-2016, 11:33 AM
the course was the by some Scottish bloke

nice guy but very poor communicator - would refer to field locations by number but hadn't explained it (and I mean drill field, not standard football field locations, we all understand those)

Heard you pulled the pin from Big Craig.
Was out there at on Sunday at the Markets n kids at the Park and on the the dirtiest slippery dip in the Southern Hemisphere!
(bucket of disinfectant chucked down it every night wouldn't hurt I reckon)

I watched for a little while. A bit uninspiring. Craig's feedback was pretty much the same Boz.

chocolate soldier
08-03-2016, 11:55 AM
Thought the course was fine
Some people didnt have the same level experience and ability, so made things hard for some to pick up and understand. Having some people not do any of the pre courses, this course was the last of 4 community courses along the pathway, didnt help some.
Coupled with alot of people always looking to sit down on the sides rather than participate, makes it hard to get a consistant quality in drills.
Point is, no one knows everything, i am sure everyone learnt something from the course, given they approached it with the correct attitude.

football_macigian23
24-04-2017, 10:30 PM
Anyone on here completed the Senior C License? If so, how'd you find it? Looks like a decent step up from the community courses

Thinking of doing the one planned in September/November

Onehunglow
25-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Anyone on here completed the Senior C License? If so, how'd you find it? Looks like a decent step up from the community courses

Thinking of doing the one planned in September/November

I've done it. Worthwhile if you are coaching at a decent level. Pretty full on with homework etc. I'm glad I did it though. Will do the B late this year.

football_macigian23
25-04-2017, 07:04 PM
I've done it. Worthwhile if you are coaching at a decent level. Pretty full on with homework etc. I'm glad I did it though. Will do the B late this year.

It's a big few weeks doing that C License that's for sure!! The pre-course work looks crazy & I am not confident in the power point speech part of the generic section!!

Keen to do it though.. I guess you just have to believe in your coaching ability

Apollo Creed
25-04-2017, 08:37 PM
it's a big few weeks doing that c license that's for sure!! The pre-course work looks crazy & i am not confident in the power point speech part of the generic section!!

Keen to do it though.. I guess you just have to believe in your coaching ability

lol

Onehunglow
25-04-2017, 09:16 PM
It's a big few weeks doing that C License that's for sure!! The pre-course work looks crazy & I am not confident in the power point speech part of the generic section!!

The course instructors are pretty sympathetic when it comes to power point presentations and peoples experience with same. Do your best, the content is just as important as the delivery IMO.

If you haven't already seen these I recommend you spend the time to read through these doc's:-

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/dct/ffa-dtc-performgroup-eu-west-1/The%20Football%20Coaching%20Process_sojtrxt7i5ka18 k1ws5awk14f.pdf

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/dct/ffa-dtc-performgroup-eu-west-1/FFA%20National%20Curriculum_1ma6qrmro1pyq10gzxo5rc n7ld.pdf

With the second one, read the intro and then just focus on the Game Training phase and look at the model sessions. They will give you a good understanding of how they want you to structure a training session.

The Football Coaching Process is quite deep but very good.

PM me if you need a hand.

Good Luck!

Captain_Carl
20-11-2021, 07:49 AM
We have more licensed coaches than ever. Has this led to the quality of coaching going up or just the bank balance of NN$WF?