Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Grassroots Football

Quote Originally Posted by Retired01 View Post
    So as a coach. Can you tell me why so many clubs, including my son's didn't rotate positions when the overview provided by NNSW was that all kids would rotate to learn positions? I'm assuming you were a SAP coach
    Was this just NNSW not having the commitment to enforce their policy as clubs just ignored it?

I'm being mindful that most of us needed to stay in position to compete with some clubs too. But others just did it to drive teams into the dust.
    Total waste of the program directive
    Yeah this was def a disregard for the program. The NNSW coaches were right onto enforcing the program when teams trained out at Speers Pt. Maybe teams who didnt spend as much time there didnt deem it as necessary?

In the coaches defense though, the kids also wanted to win, and against 'better' teams they wanted to play in their preferred positions.

Plague Jnrs coach def made him play every position, and it helped his football immensely.

Banned
    So as a coach. Can you tell me why so many clubs, including my son's didn't rotate positions when the overview provided by NNSW was that all kids would rotate to learn positions? I'm assuming you were a SAP coach
    Was this just NNSW not having the commitment to enforce their policy as clubs just ignored it?
    Yeah that's not good. Especially if the kid is stuck in a non preferred.

I also think some parents would also rather see results over position swapping. They see their kid doing their bit to make other parents happy about him being in the team. Make sense?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    because football starts with the ability to be comfortable and confident with the ball.
    all the other stuff can be taught as games become more important.

but if kids get to 15/16 and still cant use both feet then they are in all sorts anyway.

which brings up some fond memories.
    a couple of the better kids at that age are really good dribblers, but so one footed its not funny. yet every time they score with poor technique a lot of coaches are too busy celebrating to point out the flaw.

there was one coach i noticed who continually instructed (and applauded) his strikers to hit with the weaker foot when it warranted. 90% of the time the shot was ineffective, and prob on a lot of occasions the kid could have gone around onto his better foot to score.
    but if he can get that kid using 2 strong feet by the time hes 12, then he'll be light years ahead of all these "talented" kids scoring more goals today.

it def stood out as a coach making the kids better over results at age 9.
    Disagree there Plague
    It is poorly taught at a later age as an after thought

It is exactly why we get blokes like Boogaard and Robbie Cornflakes and Tarek Elrich and Alex Wilkinson being less than impressive at defending

Kids need to also be taught to actually tackle and learn the basics of defending also at a young age or we see these piss poor technical flaws again and again at the top level

You look at all 5 goals we conceded at the WC
    All honking amatuer defensive errors

Risdon needless going to ground for Griezemanns penalty
    Behichs incompetence to not use the correct foot to strike the ball for the oggy
    Mooys piss poor tracking on Erikson in the Denmark game
    Perus first goal we had 6 defenders back in our box on 3 and the bloke who scored was unmarked Plus the defending from the initial long ball was honking
    Perus 2nd goal 6 defenders back in the box on 4 (technically3 due to 1 being massively passive offside and out of the equation) yet the bloke who scores gets a free pass to move to and turn on the ball before firing home

These are glaring technical faults that are not the hardest to fix

#Amatuer hour

All these technical skills you want to learn at being comfortable on the ball are actually increased when the defensive quality and pressure that players are put under is increased

This is why these Dutch Mango suckers have it all wrong

There is no one fix to football in this country like they would have us believe with their shitful 4-3-3 possession tactic as the only metod

It requires a combination of many methods to be successful and their are two components to the game attacking and defending

And it pays to be proficient in both of them to be successful

because football starts with the ability to be comfortable and confident with the ball.
    all the other stuff can be taught as games become more important.

but if kids get to 15/16 and still cant use both feet then they are in all sorts anyway.

which brings up some fond memories.
    a couple of the better kids at that age are really good dribblers, but so one footed its not funny. yet every time they score with poor technique a lot of coaches are too busy celebrating to point out the flaw.

there was one coach i noticed who continually instructed (and applauded) his strikers to hit with the weaker foot when it warranted. 90% of the time the shot was ineffective, and prob on a lot of occasions the kid could have gone around onto his better foot to score.
    but if he can get that kid using 2 strong feet by the time hes 12, then he'll be light years ahead of all these "talented" kids scoring more goals today.

it def stood out as a coach making the kids better over results at age 9.
    You are taking the piss here ? Robben, Maradona, Puskus, Giggs, Bale, Beckham, Hagi, Rivaldo, Carlos, Messi... and the list goes on.
    Lots of two footed players as well such as Cryuff, Pele, Zidane, Nedved, Best.. and so on.

It simply doesn't matter if you use one foot or two - it's about putting the ball in the back of the net.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 20-11-2018 at 07:02 PM.

I'm being mindful that most of us needed to stay in position to compete with some clubs too. But others just did it to drive teams into the dust.
    Total waste of the program directive
    I can't speak for what clubs do in SAP. I'm a NEWFM coach.

I can tell you that if I were a SAP coach, I would rotate positions. I did it in NEWFM often enough last year and will do so this season.

NNSW send assessors to watch NPL. the clubs take those assessments and, I am told, ignore them. I think NNSW would be better placed to watch the SAP, and maybe they do, but as I don't go and watch SAP I cannot say if they do or don't

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    You are taking the piss here ? Robben, Maradona, Puskus, Giggs, Bale, Beckham, Hagi, Rivaldo, Carlos, Messi... and the list goes on.
    Lots of two footed players as well such as Cryuff, Pele, Zidane, Nedved, Best.. and so on.

It simply doesn't matter if you use one foot or two - it's about putting the ball in the back of the net.
    Nah, if you think Messi is 'one footed' then i dont know what to tell you.
    yes, he has one foot stronger than the other, but im talking about kids getting 1 on 1 with the keeper then stopping so they can run around the ball to get it on their good side rather than have the confidence and ability to hit it with their weaker foot in one motion.
    once they get to any decent level they wont have this extra time to re-adjust. Defenders will not allow it.

again, the coaches are coached to get the players to be able to make the best decision, and utilise their best skill set.
    some coaches just wanna get that win over the other mob.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

It requires a combination of many methods to be successful and their are two components to the game attacking and defending

And it pays to be proficient in both of them to be successful
    ok, lets be clear. the kids at U/9 level are taught one on one defending.
    they are taught body position, how to use sidelines, how to hold up a player, when and how to best attack the ball when an opponent is attacking them.
    one on one drills are one of the most repeated skills in the training sessions, as it makes the defenders and attackers better.

the kids are not (supposed to be) taught about back 3's or 4's, overall positioning, offside traps etc.
    that stuff is clearly mandated that it will be introduced once they get to full field and 11 v 11. the FFA deemed it more important to teach the technique of one on one defending at that age.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    I also think some parents would also rather see results over position swapping. They see their kid doing their bit to make other parents happy about him being in the team. Make sense?
    yeah this is a very good point.
    there are def some parents out there who trialled their kid at multiple 'better' teams in year 2 vs where they were in year 1.
    i found this interesting as the kid may not get a better footballing education, but they will prob win more games.
    sometimes it might be better to stand out in a lesser team than be one of the squad in a good team.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Yeah this was def a disregard for the program. The NNSW coaches were right onto enforcing the program when teams trained out at Speers Pt. Maybe teams who didnt spend as much time there didnt deem it as necessary?

In the coaches defense though, the kids also wanted to win, and against 'better' teams they wanted to play in their preferred positions.

Plague Jnrs coach def made him play every position, and it helped his football immensely.
    I don't coach SAP, but I do coach an U12 girls team. Ive been with them since U6 so know the girls and their playing style pretty well.

The rotating of positions is an interesting one. I do it for most of the players, but others are so suited (and want to play) specific positions that I play them there. Ive got some defenders that say they want a run up front. I'll put them there for a game and within 5 minutes they are back in the backline. Every time, at half time they say they want to go back into defence.

Ive never adopted a win at all costs approach, but you do see it with some teams. We have focused on learning to play the ball out from the back. At the same time I want my girls in the midfield and up front to feel free to run at players and take them on, not just be a robot and pass to the next person. Sometimes it works, sometimes we have a good laugh on the sideline. We went through the younger ages getting belted, but as the field got bigger, things have swapped around.

Banned
    there are def some parents out there who trialled their kid at multiple 'better' teams in year 2 vs where they were in year 1.
    i found this interesting as the kid may not get a better footballing education, but they will prob win more games.
    sometimes it might be better to stand out in a lesser team than be one of the squad in a good team.
    This is very disappointing.
    That club should have a chance to strengthen the team not chase new players.

As I said previously the more time in junior football the chance of the best juniors moving to the 2 popular clubs is closer to 1.

Nah, if you think Messi is 'one footed' then i dont know what to tell you.
    yes, he has one foot stronger than the other, but im talking about kids getting 1 on 1 with the keeper then stopping so they can run around the ball to get it on their good side rather than have the confidence and ability to hit it with their weaker foot in one motion.
    once they get to any decent level they wont have this extra time to re-adjust. Defenders will not allow it.

again, the coaches are coached to get the players to be able to make the best decision, and utilise their best skill set.
    some coaches just wanna get that win over the other mob.
    With Respect to the kids - That's not a footedness issue. That's a kid who's not good enough on the ball - big difference.
    Messi was last on my list - probably should have left him off with 70 odd goals.

Agree with this times 1000 - and have seen it first hand.

Have also seen a B team at a club with less talented players do better against best opposition in the state possibly country than the A team because the coaches developed a system to suit the players not jam square pegs into round holes.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 21-11-2018 at 11:26 AM.

There are 2 sides to this though.
    As a parent you want the best for your child. Being part of a better team will challenge them. Other side is leaving a team together to build and gradually play better together. But this does take time and very good coaching.

There are so many ideas and its being demonstrated next season
    Some teams kept their squad
    Some gutted theirs
    Others took on multiple players to move further ahead.

I have my opinion but don't feel its warranted to voice it and put clubs down or talk them up.

I do agree though with the 2 footed theory. If there are coaches doing that in games for the sake of the child and not winning. Good on them to support the boy for the future.

There are 2 sides to this though.
    As a parent you want the best for your child. Being part of a better team will challenge them. Other side is leaving a team together to build and gradually play better together. But this does take time and very good coaching.

There are so many ideas and its being demonstrated next season
    Some teams kept their squad
    Some gutted theirs
    Others took on multiple players to move further ahead.

I have my opinion but don't feel its warranted to voice it and put clubs down or talk them up.

I do agree though with the 2 footed theory. If there are coaches doing that in games for the sake of the child and not winning. Good on them to support the boy for the future.
    Oh for sure I understand both sides of the argument. If my kid wanted to move for whatever reason I'd never say no up front.

Regardless, if they do any good (or bad) their situation will prob change without them having a say anyway.
    Happy for parents and kids to game the system in just the same way some coaches and teams do anyway.

The most interesting this is, you don’t know when you get development right.
    What we are seeing now won’t take full effect for another 5-10 years, by which point things will have probably changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    The most interesting this is, you don’t know when you get development right.
    What we are seeing now won’t take full effect for another 5-10 years, by which point things will have probably changed.
    for sure.

but whatever 'we' did back in the glory days leading up to '05, it certainly changed since.
    now its changing again. so lets hope it works.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Oh for sure I understand both sides of the argument. If my kid wanted to move for whatever reason I'd never say no up front.

Regardless, if they do any good (or bad) their situation will prob change without them having a say anyway.
    Happy for parents and kids to game the system in just the same way some coaches and teams do anyway.
    Just Interested to know what parents are paying for rego mainly for SAP if anyone out there knows and do you think their development is worth the money?

Quote Originally Posted by Dontknowmuch View Post
    Just Interested to know what parents are paying for rego mainly for SAP if anyone out there knows and do you think their development is worth the money?
    Could be (and probably am) wrong, but I thought SAP fees were supposed to be regulated or damn near so.

If they aren't, they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontknowmuch View Post
    Absolutely.
    Plague jnr is lucky though in that his club is right behind the SAP program. They demanded a lot from the kids, but they all responded well.
    Lucky he qualified again and we are more than happy to pay for him to continue.