Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Grassroots Football

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    I'd love to see a breakdown of the u6 cost, $215 is extreme to say the least
    New Lambton's Registration info

I agree that $215 is steep for Under 6, especially when neighbouring clubs are $50 cheaper. Interesting that the club takes the most from their youngest players.

All community clubs are trying to keep up with the expectation of a society where:

* participation in football is at an all time high and the numbers of girls entering the sport is huge - its only going to get bigger
    * people volunteering for their local club is forever diminishing - so clubs have to either flog a couple of die-hards or pay someone to mark lines.
    * everybody wants a quality experience (this means different things to different people) for a little expense as possible
    * there are not enough parks to go around - rugby league juniors is dying - yet still control an over-represented number of facilities
    * local councils (esp. Newcastle) are spending next to zero on their facilities - leaving clubs to foot the bill or kids are playing on dust bowls (have heard some clubs have had to significantly increase fees due to new council lighting fees?)
    * "development" of young players is needed to feed the high flying NPL - but no-one wants to pay for it

Do people honestly think that community clubs line their pockets with the hard-earned of their members? Transparency is the key. If it can be justified and people are prepared to pay it - fine.

PS - When shopping around for Club Fees - take the time to look beneath the fee cost. Its not always cheapest is best - you may still up for weekly fees or playing on something that closely resembles concrete

I just paid $160 for my 2 year old to do 6 weeks at little kickers.
    When you look at bang for buck and what junior clubs are trying to offer it doesn't seem to be too ridiculous compared to that. As Barry says, nothing comes cheap and council aren't doing any upgrades, so clubs are footing the bill for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baby Piglet View Post
    I was on my way home from work today, and i decided to drop into a local club and watch the young kids training. They were running around laughing, smiling with not a worry in the world. It really brought a smile to my face.
    However, while the kids seemed to be having a great deal of fun i don't think they were really developing any of the skills needed to progress to the next level. I do find this a bit alarming, don't get be wrong i fully understand that some of these kids ain't to worried about the next level and most of the coaches are just parents who've put their hand up when no one else would. Kudos to you for that. But i really think with the establishment of the new NPL competition, that the clubs in the premier division need to take a little responsibility along with NNSW. As they both have the "best" coaches working for them. Id really love to see some of the NPL coaches getting out once a fortnight or at least once a month, and help some of the coaches at the grassroots level. Maybe run a session ect ect ect.... I really think this would make a world of difference in the long run (over the next 5-10yrs)
    Im interested in what other people involved in newcastle football think ?????
    What age was the kids? 5-7 just let them have their fun with learning. If they are older more of a concern, however, seeing one training session for a bit doesn't mean the kids a doomed. The coach might just be letting them have a bit of a kick around with nothing in place after all it is only the start of Feb and if this is grassroots then their season won't start until the end of April.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Junior rego fees 2017

Lambton u/6 $120 u/8 $140
    Garden Suburb u/6 $155 u/8 $175
    Adamstown u/6 $160 u/8 $185
    New Lambton (scabs) u/6 $215 u/8 $225

We can see which club is working real hard upgrading their facilities through parent money.
    Broadmeadow is pretty high too around or higher than New Lambton.

Do New Lambton give anything with the rego? At least with Adamstown they are giving the kids almost everything they need (full training strips, match day strips and a few other items). Pf course with Lambton you might pay only $140 but then they charge you ref fees throughout the year so total paid is a lot higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post

Do New Lambton give anything with the rego? At least with Adamstown they are giving the kids almost everything they need (full training strips, match day strips and a few other items). Pf course with Lambton you might pay only $140 but then they charge you ref fees throughout the year so total paid is a lot higher.
    Why do you need training strips if you're playing u/6s? Ffs.

Shinpads and a ball are given from the association. Shirts should be a club thing to save money, so all you need are socks, shorts and boots.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Why do you need training strips if you're playing u/6s? Ffs.

Shinpads and a ball are given from the association. Shirts should be a club thing to save money, so all you need are socks, shorts and boots.
    The clothing is given away to all players not just Under 6 but I suppose since the Under 6 players train they also need a training strip. Not sure on the shirts thing you are on about but the socks and shorts are also given out but parents lap stuff like that up the more free items the better.

Quote Originally Posted by idontwannaplaywithhowey View Post
    I just paid $160 for my 2 year old to do 6 weeks at little kickers.
    When you look at bang for buck and what junior clubs are trying to offer it doesn't seem to be too ridiculous compared to that. As Barry says, nothing comes cheap and council aren't doing any upgrades, so clubs are footing the bill for everything.
    No.

Its parents like you who are willing to pay way over for sub junior skills that perpetuates and promotes ridiculous prices. With Reps I see theres a need for bigger $$. Maybe being part of NL you accept the higher prices IDK.

I do know that last year New Lambton had a good junior training system on an extra night. IF that is included it makes it a little better but all sight is lost for getting all young kids into round ball
    Last edited by hawk; 06-02-2017 at 11:25 PM.

we took shorts and socks out of our rego at Garden Suburb. Feedback from our parents was they would rather buy it when they need it rather than have it factored into rego and get a bunch of kit they don't need as last seasons is still OK. our kids get a free playing shirt every few seasons as we replace old kit. Training shirts are available cheap if kids want them, but most want to wear the shirts of their favourite clubs.

Ref fees aren't an issue for mini-Roos, but we factor them into the rest of our rego ages.

If another club has researched their parents though, and that's what the parents want, then the gear thing (shirts, socks, training shirt, playing shirt) makes sense. I can see why that's attractive to people, but our feedback was different.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    No.

Its parents like you who are willing to pay way over for sub junior skills that perpetuates and promotes ridiculous prices. With Reps I see theres a need for bigger $$. Maybe being part of NL you accept the higher prices IDK.
    Cheers for the critique bro, I've never had the 'its parents like you' call aimed at me before...I'll wear it as a badge of honour. Yea I'm willing to pay over the odds for little kickers, not for 'sub junior skills' (because I don't actually know what that means) but because my daughter presents with an interest in football and its an organised activity where she can meet other kids and learn social skills. Forced my son to do the same and he has no interest in football. Both of my kids are inadvertently forced to watch the Jets as well, that's what you should be critiquing me about.

In relation to the u/6 prices I see that there are some cheaper, some more expensive. As has been said before there may be extra benefits for the more expensive one (or maybe not-I'm not involved in that so I haven't explored it- when I do ill be straight on the Tenambit Sharks and Maitland Maggies websites. Even in my area there are options to choose from). It's up to parents to check it out and make a decision.
    Last edited by idontwannaplaywithhowey; 07-02-2017 at 09:35 AM.

not sure y clubs are victimised here.
    the federations and associations, are the winners, pocketing the monies, and not putting in. How much does the abundance of administration get paid at Newcastle, Hunter valley, Macquarie and NNSWF, im sure they dont get pay cuts, or look to reduce fees more than $5 like they do, or give free shin pads, Newcastle Perm, provide, or better still invest in facility upgrades.
    Like barry said, if you want t improve facilities, and general experience, pay, if not go to clubs that are less, and then pay for , refs, trophies, presentation day, etc etc etc, and compare at the end.
    The likes of clubs marketing there rego at $150, is compared to Jetstar, commit to a bargin then pay for everything afterwards,once your locked in.
    football should cost $0, but we are dominated by cricket and rugby league in this town,

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo Creed View Post
    not sure y clubs are victimised here.
    the federations and associations, are the winners, pocketing the monies, and not putting in. How much does the abundance of administration get paid at Newcastle, Hunter valley, Macquarie and NNSWF, im sure they dont get pay cuts, or look to reduce fees more than $5 like they do, or give free shin pads, Newcastle Perm, provide, or better still invest in facility upgrades.
    Like barry said, if you want t improve facilities, and general experience, pay, if not go to clubs that are less, and then pay for , refs, trophies, presentation day, etc etc etc, and compare at the end.
    The likes of clubs marketing there rego at $150, is compared to Jetstar, commit to a bargin then pay for everything afterwards,once your locked in.
    football should cost $0, but we are dominated by cricket and rugby league in this town,
    You were making sense at the start of that reply, and then backed it up with an idiotic quote about cheaper clubs towards the end.

In Muswellbrook we are very much more in a League dominated area, and our pricing has to reflect that in order to have any chance of drawing and retaining players.
    At $95 for U6/7's and $109 for U8-11 we're still dearer than our league counterparts, but thankfully we must be doing something right as we're the highest participated junior sport in the area.
    Every year I still question exactly what we're paying NNSWF for. I have no problems paying FFA (as it's the insurance component) and HVFA (as they are the one's who directly help me in all areas every year), but I'm still bamboozled about what we pay the NNSWF portion for.

theres 3 layers of money being taken

Newcastle/Macquarie/Hunter take their cut
    then NNSWF takes theirs and passes the remaining onto FFA

from some of the junior clubs ive spoken to theyre forking out a lot of money on electricity with council in recent time
    not sure how council can allow some clubs to negotiate direct with electrical supplier but not let others do the same

Quote Originally Posted by idontwannaplaywithhowey View Post

In relation to the u/6 prices I see that there are some cheaper, some more expensive. As has been said before there may be extra benefits for the more expensive one (or maybe not-I'm not involved in that so I haven't explored it- when I do ill be straight on the Tenambit Sharks and Maitland Maggies websites. Even in my area there are options to choose from). It's up to parents to check it out and make a decision.
    I just signed my girl up for the U/9's at Tenambit and she has been there all but last year since she was 5, cost me $180 and this year she got a free club jumper, Every year they look to change it up and your free item of clothing will be something different I guess so you don't have that stoke pile of shorts every year.

Plus no additional cost throughout out the year.

Magic's breakdown is as follows:

FFA $11.45
    NNSWF & Insurance $13.10
    NF $34.54
    GST $5.91

Adminsitration $16.67

Ground Hire/Lighting $62.50
    Line Marking/grounds $18.75
    Playing Equipment $8.33
    Presentation $41.67
    Actual Costed Fee $212.92
    Proposed 2016 Rego Fee $215.00

Quote Originally Posted by football_macigian23 View Post
    Magic's breakdown is as follows:

FFA $11.45
    NNSWF & Insurance $13.10
    NF $34.54
    GST $5.91

Adminsitration $16.67

Ground Hire/Lighting $62.50
    Line Marking/grounds $18.75
    Playing Equipment $8.33
    Presentation $41.67
    Actual Costed Fee $212.92
    Proposed 2016 Rego Fee $215.00
    So as I said pretty high too.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/49...-point/?cs=306

Plans to convert the Macquarie Academy field to an all weather pitch.
    Hopefully they plan ahead and make able to be slowly transformed it into a stadium type venue.
    There is a natural hill on the side, this would make great concourse seating. Even just put "steps" in like at Kahibah juniors with possibility for proper seats with time.
    Then gradually build stands around the field.

Would also be interested in the viability of a hybrid pitch. I have no idea about price and longevity and how it would fare in our climate.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/49...-point/?cs=306

Plans to convert the Macquarie Academy field to an all weather pitch.
    Hopefully they plan ahead and make able to be slowly transformed it into a stadium type venue.
    There is a natural hill on the side, this would make great concourse seating. Even just put "steps" in like at Kahibah juniors with possibility for proper seats with time.
    Then gradually build stands around the field.

Would also be interested in the viability of a hybrid pitch. I have no idea about price and longevity and how it would fare in our climate.
    Hopefully they do something with it to allow it to be the no 1 field for games and by that I mean actually provide seating areas for spectators and not the cluster **** the other 2 fields are

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Hopefully they do something with it to allow it to be the no 1 field for games and by that I mean actually provide seating areas for spectators and not the cluster **** the other 2 fields are
    Hopefully they leave it alone... large amount of injuries sustained on the synthetic pitches.
    Or ask the players what they want, I'd like to keep an actual pitch out there.

Isn't there a plan for NNSW to add a little something extra to all registrations next year - to go into a funding pool for clubs to apply and draw from for local ground improvements?

I hope funding for this new synthetic pitch is not coming from that pool - on the basis that it will assist the local football community