Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Grassroots Football

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Maybe I'm reading this a bit out of context, but why is "superior coaching" the last thing we need?

Superior Coaching at all levels is desirable. If I was a player, given a choice between two identical clubs (ignoring friendships/ 'loyalty'), I'd be picking the one with the more qualified coach. As a parent, I'm picking the one with a more qualified coach.

The only reason against it would be that it creates an uneven playing field... Which might be the kick start the other clubs need to bring up their standards.

The biggest issue here is, as you mention, the lack of a reasonably attainable but higher level coaching course. NNSWF should be reimbursing some of the costs to make this more achievable. And from what I've heard the C license is a pretty time consuming course (i think thats the multiple weekends one)
    Yep, and NNSW only run it once a year. Generally around October when people are winding down from football and looking to take a break. Have wanted to do it last few years but always found myself unavailable on one of the weekends for various reasons such as school holidays or concerts.

Not to mention the cost.

Banned
    Maybe I'm reading this a bit out of context, but why is "superior coaching" the last thing we need?
    Yeah take the opposite view. Focus more on those who dont. That's quite a disadvantage.

Some u9s teams had no coach by January this year.Many teams started light training end of last year.

Which highlights your last point. Many younger SAP teams dont know who will be coaching when the trials happen so dont know which club to choose. Maybe the stronger teams from previous years could be a guide but not always.
    Last edited by Negative Police; 01-06-2019 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    Yeah take the opposite view. Focus more on those who dont. That's quite a disadvantage.

Some u9s teams had no coach by January this year.Many teams started light training end of last year.

Which highlights your last point. Many younger SAP teams dont know who will be coaching when the trials happen so dont know which club to choose. Maybe the stronger teams from previous years could be a guide but not always.
    It is a disadvantage. But I don’t really see it as a bad thing. Its progress.
    Maybe next year 2 clubs have highly qualified coaches, the year after maybe 3-4, then 5-6 etc. the standard is rising, which is only a good thing in the long run.
    If a club sticks with relatively under qualified coaches, who is at fault? Who benefits from this?
    The aim should be to continually raise the quality of our programs through better coaching, better facilities, better everything.

Am I missing something?

Banned
    Maybe next year 2 clubs have highly qualified coaches, the year after maybe 3-4, then 5-6 etc. the standard is rising, which is only a good thing in the long run.
    If a club sticks with relatively under qualified coaches, who is at fault? Who benefits from this?
    The aim should be to continually raise the quality of our programs through better coaching, better facilities, better everything.

Am I missing something?
    If your kid landed a spot at a club and an inexperienced coach is appointed late its a bad thing for this level. You dont want a year or 2 of little progress for the fees paid. The club needs to be a little more prepared.

That said the comp consistency is rising. There arent as many weak teams in the 9's this year compared to last.

Another good thing this year is the 1 team rule where you arent forced to have 2 teams per club. Still wanting to know why didnt Cooks Hill have an U9's team?

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    That said the comp consistency is rising. There arent as many weak teams in the 9's this year compared to last.

Another good thing this year is the 1 team rule where you arent forced to have 2 teams per club. Still wanting to know why didnt Cooks Hill have an U9's team?
    Couldn’t agree more.

Very few walkovers. Really happy to see some teams have gone with 1 team rather than forcing a second.

And with your last point, I know a couple of kids from cooks hill ended up at some of the stronger clubs but would have preferred staying with them if they ran a team.

What are everyone's thoughts on SAP vs NET? Is the quality much better in SAP than NET? What are the benefits of NET over SAP, or visa versa?

Quote Originally Posted by londonboy View Post
    What are everyone's thoughts on SAP vs NET? Is the quality much better in SAP than NET? What are the benefits of NET over SAP, or visa versa?
    NET is for Newcastle Football only. SAP is run by all NPL clubs + some NPL2 (NL1) clubs.

NET was U10's and U11's playing in a NET specific competition. The U12's NET team played in Interdistrict comps vs teams from all 3 hunter associations.

SAP is currently U9's and U10's but by 2021 will be U9's to U12's.

NET is co-ordinated by the Newcastle Football Technical Director. each team trains under his supervison at Wallarah Oval once a week and at their home base another night a week.

SAP is technically under NNSW following the FFA's national curriculum which focuses on teach the 4 core skills. First Touch, Striking the Ball, 1v1 & Running with the ball. Have a look at this as a reference: https://www.playfootball.com.au/site...ges%5B1%5D.pdf

It's hard to compare them directly. However my son's experience with the SAP program has been very positive. For the most part they will play against better players in their games. they train twice a week and play 44 games over 22 rounds compared to 14 games at community and NET level.

Aegon Jr absolutely loves it.

Just keep in mind, every club runs trials for selection typically between September - November. They aren't advertised well, you'll have to follow the teams facebook and/or web pages to see when they will hold trials.

Am I missing something?
    yeah I'm def in the boat of getting the best coaches and making the 'lesser' teams improve. To be fair to NNSW, they provide the facilities, the education sessions and everything the coaches 'need' to get better. but its evident that a lot of the clubs arent using the support structure. That should be put back on the clubs and they should be held to the higher standard. the parents should also be putting pressure on the clubs to make sure their money is getting spent in the right areas.

Plague Jnrs coach pretty much goes to every extra coaching session, is very open to the NNSW jumping in and running drills at the facility, and its no surprise that his team is one of the better ones in the program. Plague Jnr would be in the lower couple of kids talent wise in his squad but his improvement this year has been quite astounding. its def down to the coach. theres def some really good kids in the system who arent getting good coaching at the moment. ive no doubt their parents will start club shopping in order to get them in a better program, which kind of sucks because id rather the clubs take responsibility and pull some of these coaches into line and get the kids back to doing what they should be doing, not just cutting corners in order to win games.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

our club runs both programs, and during the trials the 'best' kids were picked for SAP and the ones that just missed out went into NET.
    NET has more kids on the park and is on a bigger field. Our club def picked some kids who were good enough to play SAP, but they thought they would benefit from playing on the bigger field and having more space to work. SAP fields def require a bit more close control skills and the passing needs to be more precise.

one coach explained it as if you were looking for a team of wingers and backs you'd go to NET as those players who can run rapid with good control/crossing etc def benefit from the extra space. SAP def benefits the centre mids and technical strikers who need to work a bit more to get a shot away.

our club has made sure to explain very loudly and very clearly that SAP isnt 'better' than NET. All players picked are there for a reason and that everyone in every program is expected to represent the club to the set standards. which is brilliant because i def heard some parents at the trials comment they didnt want their kid playing NET.

over time all the kids will merge back into the NPL level and i doubt there will be a huge gap in quality by 14's esp when you need a diverse set of skills in your team by then. the best kids who have the best work ethic and motivation will be the ones who get there, development program or not.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    our club runs both programs, and during the trials the 'best' kids were picked for SAP and the ones that just missed out went into NET.
    I think only 1, maybe 2 clubs run both the SAP and NET programs at 10's. I think it's up to the clubs if they want to run both but probably good that a lot don't. Gives some of the peripheral clubs like Kotara South, Mayfield, Stockton, etc the opportunity to benefit from direct access to NF's Technical Director and better training guidance as clubs like Magic, Olympic & Jaffas have chosen to only run SAP.

I think the only other thing worth mentioning is that kids will probably have to be part of SAP to be eligible for selection for NNSWF's Talent Support Program.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    I think the only other thing worth mentioning is that kids will probably have to be part of SAP to be eligible for selection for NNSWF's Talent Support Program.
    oh for sure, and I know NNSW are pitching SAP as the hot new thang. But just like always some kid is gonna pop up in 14's NPL having kicked around with his mates for the last 6 years and blow everyone away. Theres always these kids, and as long as clubs dont fall into the trap of thinking SAP is the 'only' thing, then as long as the kids end up being good, no one should care, or criticise where they came from. (im not saying you're being critical, moreso those parents thinking that SAP is the only show in town).

and from what we've heard from a few other clubs/officials etc they would love to be running more SAP/NET teams in the future (as well as other clubs who have wanted to be part of it). We have been told that there is no official stance on how many teams clubs have next year which isnt surprising considering NNSW dont know where everyone is playing in 2 weeks time yet.

no point pulling a hammy rushing these things ey?
    Seems like I am WRONG

So, are NNSW Football supposed to oversee training of SAP teams? I read that SAP teams are supposed to train at Speers Point under Leo Bertos once per week. But BM don’t go there. And HO and LJ are overseen by the TD of Newcastle Football. So is the NNSW oversight really there?

And if BM, HO and LJ aren’t going to NNSW will their players get selected for the Talent Support Program?

So, are NNSW Football supposed to oversee training of SAP teams? I read that SAP teams are supposed to train at Speers Point under Leo Bertos once per week. But BM don’t go there. And HO and LJ are overseen by the TD of Newcastle Football. So is the NNSW oversight really there?

And if BM, HO and LJ aren’t going to NNSW will their players get selected for the Talent Support Program?
    Of course they would, Bertie would be an imbecile to not select players from the best teams.

On what basis are they selected then? If NNSW never see them, do they rely on scouting? I’ve not seen many NNSW reps watching SAP games this season...

i think this is the point though.
    The clubs are 'supposed' to be going there, and 'supposed' to be sticking to the NNSW program. Last year of all the main teams were using the facility once a week (the other session was at their own ground). The NNSW coaches were there assisting every team in all sessions.

Fast forward to this year and its clear a lot of the teams arent using the facility at all, and some teams have dropped back to every 2nd week. Reasons have varied, but its either "we dont need the NNSW coaches". "we need more room instead of these smallish courts" to "parents dont want to be taking the kids all the way out to Speers Pt every week".
    personally, I wanted our clubt to be there every week, but majority ruled so we arent. I like the NNSW coaches getting involved. they did different drills, they were a different voice and they kept things on the same path.

its clear now the emphasis has been put on winning games. teams are set up, coached and instructed on field more about winning than they are technique and individual improvement. and thats not just the 'best' teams. lots of the teams that are getting flogged every week are showing no signs of individual improvement. it only takes 5 mins of listening to their coaches on the sidelines to see they dont care about anything other than winning. Seeing a kid take a left foot shot when warranted (and missing) is met with groans of disappointment instead of encouragement for doing the right thing.
    Its about coaches approaching parents at the end of last year to get kids to come trial at their clubs, instead of maybe working harder with the kids they have.

i think its clear that the program is not panning out the way it was intended, and whether it is a good thing or not will probably not be found out in 10 years when we are bemoaning that there are no local kids coming through the Jets. i admire NNSW for trying something different, but they prob need to put their foot down to make sure its done 'their way' and not left for all the clubs to dictate.

again though, NNSW aint blameless here. their communication with the clubs esp with scheduling has been pretty poor. if they want everyone to buy in (and pay for it) they need to be way more organised.

Also, NNSW coaches are at the games, and TSP was kind of a trial based system so all those teams mentioned will get their kids in if they are good enough. they are still being seen.

Also, and apologies for the rant, but im going to give a big shout out to Olympic and Magic. They are portrayed on here by some in ways that i dont agree with, but their approach to SAP has been top notch. their teams are full of really skilled kids, their coaches are great to the kids and they 'seem' to have been really really loyal to the majority of the kids they started the program with last year. I havent seen much of Olympic this year, but id say this year there are a few other teams that are right up at the level of Magic and Olympic, and its been great to see. Rather than be jealous of teams like that, others have aspired to join them. i hear plenty of negative comments about those clubs on here, and you all prob have your reasons why. but from what ive seen, they dont have a magic wand they wave over players to make them better, they put in the effort and it brings results.

If every club had the same approach (and some do) its gonna bring on a higher level quality of kids for the future.
    Seems like I am WRONG

What stops NNSW coaches going to clubs grounds? Clearly, there has been an agreement that certain clubs don’t need to attend sessions at Speers Point, but surely that doesn’t stop NNSW joining teams occasionally elsewhere? I can’t imagine the clubs would refuse to have them there. On the contrary in fact.

Parents at the likes of Olympic, Magic etc are paying for the use of Speers Point and have been sold on the NNSW coaching oversight. But their kids aren’t benefiting from either. Sure, the clubs will have decent coaching and presumably okay grounds, equipment etc, but they’ll be no consistency on the approaches. As you say, teams are coaching to win. Maybe more NNSW direct input would address this and put clubs on the right track?

What stops NNSW coaches going to clubs grounds? Clearly, there has been an agreement that certain clubs don’t need to attend sessions at Speers Point, but surely that doesn’t stop NNSW joining teams occasionally elsewhere? I can’t imagine the clubs would refuse to have them there. On the contrary in fact.

Parents at the likes of Olympic, Magic etc are paying for the use of Speers Point and have been sold on the NNSW coaching oversight. But their kids aren’t benefiting from either. Sure, the clubs will have decent coaching and presumably okay grounds, equipment etc, but they’ll be no consistency on the approaches. As you say, teams are coaching to win. Maybe more NNSW direct input would address this and put clubs on the right track?

yeah all valid points, and i think the idea of NNSW coaches going to clubs grounds is a great idea. hopefully the boffins out there start to think more like this.

one thing that stood out that was said to me by the NNSW coach last year at the facility was that one of the reasons they wanted the kids out there was that they wanted the 9 year olds to see the Jets youth train and maybe get a little bit inspired to one day be there themselves. it was a small point but it wasnt insignificant. the fact they are thinking of these small things was very interesting.

me personally i just want my kid to improve, he loves football, he loves his club and he desperately wants to do better. as stated, hes not one of the top kids, but hes on the right trajectory. his team doesnt really coach to win, or talk tactics. its all a very basic setup but the kids individual talent has seen them hang with the top level of clubs in the program, and they've def improved since last year.
    if he, and his teammates continue on that trajectory, by the time winning actually matters 13's onwards, he'll have seen enough of the good and bad to be able to handle everything that comes to him. if it means he remains a 1st team player for his club, and goes on to enjoy his football and learn the lessons that sport teaches us, then it will of all been worth it. if he does better than that, great, if he doesnt make it, so be it. ive seen so many kids already at this age turn to water due to the pressure put on them by coaches, parents and themselves. this is the age where they need to be doing it with a smile on their face, not fear in their stomachs. that cant continue and id hate to see good kids fall out of love with the game for avoidable reasons.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Well said mate. The second kids stop enjoying it their development will go backwards. That’s why I feel a more competitive community comp would be beneficial - it would allow those talented kids who are not mentally ready for a higher pressure environment yet to thrive. It would be good to see some proper grading at U8 and U9 community level to give those kids the chance to compete against each other.

We’re fairly new the Newy. Are there good private coaching available? I’ve also been told about a futsal comp in the summer. Any thoughts on that? Are there other summer comps?

On what basis are they selected then? If NNSW never see them, do they rely on scouting? I’ve not seen many NNSW reps watching SAP games this season...
    I think they run trials by invitation. From what I was told with the 14's the clubs nominated players to trial. Not sure how much effort NNSWF are putting into watching games and players as i have never seen any of them do so. The ones that keep time for the games basically sit in their chairs while the games are on looking at their phones.