Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Grassroots Football

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    HV Girls have been lucky probably only had one training session called off recently due to rain. Last Monday they trained in the rain. But haven’t missed a game due to washout since my daughter joined in round 7 I think it was. So having a good run of training and games is really starting to show with their performances.

Two weekends ago the U/11’s in the 9’s comp played Lake Macquarie for the second time this year. First time round Lake’s won both games 7 to something this time round the girls won one and lost the other by a single goal. And had two more competitive games on the weekend at speers Point
    This is great. It should be very motivating for the players to see the improvements they are getting. Does your club have a view on the splitting of the draw, i.e. is this seen as a positive thing?

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    the young kid from Valentine is the current TSP goalie i think.
    theres def a good crop of kids really enthused to play the position, rather than just having some random in there each week.
    Valo 10's? I'll keep an eye out for his games.

I 100% agree. I think it's great to see a lot of the teams choose dedicated goalies rather than cycling field players through each week. These are definitely the best learning years.

saw something quite interesting in the main game between these two clubs.
    firstly, it was a great game, played by two teams intent on playing football. the game was frenetic but there was always a buildup, no long balls. every attack had at least 4-6 passes upfield and players had to use their skills to get by. last few weeks ive seen A LOT of long ball in order just to get goals but this was a proper football game.

the interesting thing though was at one stage a home team player had skilled his man and was off down the sideline, the away player then made a clumsy tackle from behind and got his legs.
    it was a little cynical and in grown ups it was def a yellow card. ref called the foul and was ready to restart when the away coach called his player over and made him sit down for a spell. told him the tackle was unacceptable and he wasnt happy (mind you, the coach did it in a very stern but not abusive manner). the player went to the sidelines and sat on the bench, came back on a bit later and all was good.

about 10 mins later the same thing happened the other way. a clumsy tackle from the home player wiped a kid out. again, the home coach this time called his player off and sat him down (the home player knew hed deserved it and apologised to the kid he nailed). after full time i saw the home player go up to the player he whacked and apologise again and shake his hand. a few weeks prior this kid came off the field showing everyone bruises he got from getting pinched in backplay from one of the best teams in the comp, such was the importance of 'winning' games this club had.

it was a stark contrast to some of the carry on from teams (and coaches) that are all about winning and carrying on like its the Premier League. Both coaches and all the players should be congratulated for the way they respected each others players and the purpose of the program. its the type of game id love to see every week. some of the kids on display could be absolutely anything in the sport, it was fantastic to watch.
    Was this in the 9s or 10s? I was watching the 9s game and something similar happened - a player on one team had apparently slapped an opposing player on the back of the head off the ball - and a couple of minutes later the 'slapper' received a high kick during a tackle. The coach of the boy who delivered the kick hauled him off immediately and let them know it was unacceptable. The incident was probably a result of the slap (ref didn't see it) but massive credit to the coach for hauling his kid off. The coach probably did see the slap, but took control of his own players and addressed it.

The weird thing was it wasn't a dirty game at all. Some excellent football played - plenty of passes pulled together; great goals (one a tapped free kick from about half way - unbelievable strike) and some great saves as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Do you mind if I ask which team? I love watching good keepers and there are some really promising ones in this program.
    I attended a futsal school state trials on Friday night and was watching the u8s and u9s. There was a boy there trialling for the u8s as a goalkeeper who was unbelievable. Not a big kid, but shot-stopping and ability to come off his line at the right time was way beyond his years. Not sure who (or if) he plays for a club, but I would imagine every club would be falling over themselves to get him into their teams. I heard his parents saying to the coaches that he only ever wanted to be a goalkeeper. I've not seen too many kids falling over themselves to play in goal at that age, but the boy has bags on ability. Hope he stays in love with it.

Quote Originally Posted by londonboy View Post
    Was this in the 9s or 10s? I was watching the 9s game and something similar happened -
    no this was the 10's.

both tackles were totally football related and not intentionally dirty. the coaches just didnt want any part of it and addressed the issue with each player. they also did it off the field and didnt make huge deals out of it to embarrass the kids. cant emphasise enough how impressive some of these coaches are in this program.
    plus these two teams have played against each other plenty of times and the games are always fair and great to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

This is great. It should be very motivating for the players to see the improvements they are getting. Does your club have a view on the splitting of the draw, i.e. is this seen as a positive thing?
    Not sure on the clubs view on it, but my personal view as a father of a goal keeper. IÂ’m so happy they made the split and each week is competitive without having an onslaught on either teams goals.
    Much rather watch a game where my kid gets her fair share of action rather then the ball always be camped at one end or the other.

https://membership.newcastlejets.com...skills-program

Any thoughts on the Newcastle Jets Skills Program being advertised? At $500 a pop it sounds to me a bit like a money-making opportunity to me. The rumours are that, with the club funding issues, the youth set-up funding is very limited. Might this be their way of raising funds?

It says its a 20 week program under the guidance of "Newcastle Jets trained coaches" (i.e. not Newcastle Jets coaches, Jets trained coaches). The fact the Jets recently put a call out for any "enthusiastic" coaches to contact them suggests to me this program will largely be run by community coaches wearing Jets branded gear. It's a shame, because a properly run program like this (with input from NNSW Football and Newcastle Football) might actually be a good thing and helped the Jets identify players for the future.

Any thoughts on the Newcastle Jets Skills Program being advertised? At $500 a pop it sounds to me a bit like a money-making opportunity to me. The rumours are that, with the club funding issues, the youth set-up funding is very limited. Might this be their way of raising funds?

It says its a 20 week program under the guidance of "Newcastle Jets trained coaches" (i.e. not Newcastle Jets coaches, Jets trained coaches). The fact the Jets recently put a call out for any "enthusiastic" coaches to contact them suggests to me this program will largely be run by community coaches wearing Jets branded gear. It's a shame, because a properly run program like this (with input from NNSW Football and Newcastle Football) might actually be a good thing and helped the Jets identify players for the future.
    Open to anyone willing to pay the money, trained by coaches of undetermined ability or commitment.

I think there are better options available out there already.

You can already see the parents imagining this as a back door way of getting their "wonderkid" into the youth academies.

Open to anyone willing to pay the money, trained by coaches of undetermined ability or commitment.

I think there are better options available out there already.

You can already see the parents imagining this as a back door way of getting their "wonderkid" into the youth academies.
    Yep your 100% correct Aegon parents that can afford will pay it just further confuses the whole football structure in Newy what is their now SAP, NET, Community, 2 divisions of so called elite football whole thing needs looking at and all of those programs come at a $$$$. It’s a money making exercise pure and simple.

yeah look seeing the amount of talent in SAP and NET every week, and the skill level of kids who 'arent good enough' for TSP at the moment id say anyones kid aint getting any sort of foot in by going there.

from everyone who has been there, they still swear by Jobe as still the best extra curricular option for kids wanting to improve.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

https://northernnswfootball.com.au/c...r-sap-leagues/

Has there been much interest in clubs around this? NNSWF are running a SAP-only Fast Fives tournament this summer. It seems to be limited to 12 teams, playing 5-aside (with 2 subs). Also wondering whether SAP teams might look at entering teams in the Adamstown/Wallsend/Mayfield TAFE NSW Summer Football tournaments?

There seems to be plenty of off-season things to do, which might actually dilute things a bit, with SAP/NET kids being spread out far and wide (or maybe even just taking a break from football...)

Yeah our club is trying to get a team in if there's enough interest from the kids.

https://northernnswfootball.com.au/c...r-sap-leagues/

Has there been much interest in clubs around this? NNSWF are running a SAP-only Fast Fives tournament this summer. It seems to be limited to 12 teams, playing 5-aside (with 2 subs). Also wondering whether SAP teams might look at entering teams in the Adamstown/Wallsend/Mayfield TAFE NSW Summer Football tournaments?

There seems to be plenty of off-season things to do, which might actually dilute things a bit, with SAP/NET kids being spread out far and wide (or maybe even just taking a break from football...)
    It looks like a great idea. I don’t like this part though:

“The new leagues will also be used to identify players who have the potential to trial for NNSWF’s Talent Support Programs (TSP)”

How about watch the normal season games?

“The new leagues will also be used to identify players who have the potential to trial for NNSWF’s Talent Support Programs (TSP)”

Yep, probably a bit of a sales pitch to try and get teams to sign up. You’d hope NNSWF would use the SAP games for TSP identification. The Fast Fives is a completely different game. It’s basically futsal. Different sport.

yeah dont sweat any of that.
    NNSW coaches were out at training scouting our 9's for potential TSP players, they talked to the coaches and the coaches gave honest feedback on who they thought had potential.

same NNSW blokes were then at the games on that weekend watching them go round. the NNSW coaches are at the games trust me.

as for the TSP itself, dont stress if kids are missing out. from what ive seen, the kids who were in 9's last year and back playing SAP in 10's are not any further along than everyone else. from what ive seen id say 90% of the kids picked in 10's deserve to be there last year. but there are plenty of kids at their level this year. a few of them havent progressed even at SAP level let alone being even 'better than the best'.

over the net few years those kids will be replaced in the TSP or at worst another scout will identify them and offer them up another opportunity. the best kids will be seen. they will start to stand out at different times, but this SAP program is about finding them somewhere between 9-14. theres a wide scope.
    Seems like I am WRONG

yeah dont sweat any of that.
    NNSW coaches were out at training scouting our 9's for potential TSP players, they talked to the coaches and the coaches gave honest feedback on who they thought had potential.

same NNSW blokes were then at the games on that weekend watching them go round. the NNSW coaches are at the games trust me.

as for the TSP itself, dont stress if kids are missing out. from what ive seen, the kids who were in 9's last year and back playing SAP in 10's are not any further along than everyone else. from what ive seen id say 90% of the kids picked in 10's deserve to be there last year. but there are plenty of kids at their level this year. a few of them havent progressed even at SAP level let alone being even 'better than the best'.

over the net few years those kids will be replaced in the TSP or at worst another scout will identify them and offer them up another opportunity. the best kids will be seen. they will start to stand out at different times, but this SAP program is about finding them somewhere between 9-14. theres a wide scope.
    Which 9s team is this? Do they train at LMRFF? My boy is at a team that doesn’t train at LMRFF and I’ve not seen any NNSWF coaches at our training sessions. Hopefully, they are out on the road as well.

Whilst I'm not in the inner group of coaching and managing of clubs. I don't see why the whole TSP is such a talking point of where the kids want to be.
    I personally know or am privalige tosecond hand to conversations to a lot of the 9s and 10s coaches from my days playing and general consensus is that its just the same as it was when we were little. Who you know, who knows who or based on a 10 minute observation.
    I am mindful not to identify clubs or people due to blow back towards those people. But I do know 2 clubs who's coaches put forward specific players and they were not chosen. the ones which were chosen left them confused.

I completely agree with the comments above. The current TSP squad are no better than others within the top SAP Teams and discussion is they have now fallen away.
    Its all a great idea. But shouldn't be of anyones concern

Quote Originally Posted by Retired01 View Post
    Whilst I'm not in the inner group of coaching and managing of clubs. I don't see why the whole TSP is such a talking point of where the kids want to be.
    I personally know or am privalige tosecond hand to conversations to a lot of the 9s and 10s coaches from my days playing and general consensus is that its just the same as it was when we were little. Who you know, who knows who or based on a 10 minute observation.
    I am mindful not to identify clubs or people due to blow back towards those people. But I do know 2 clubs who's coaches put forward specific players and they were not chosen. the ones which were chosen left them confused.

I completely agree with the comments above. The current TSP squad are no better than others within the top SAP Teams and discussion is they have now fallen away.
    I am certain there is plenty of the 'who you know' that goes on, but who is overseeing this? You'd have to think there is some impartial selection going on, either via the clubs themselves or NNSWF.

I think I'm a bit confused with the whole TSP thing. I thought this was an additional training night for selected kids with NNSWF, and the rest of the time boys would train and play with their SAP teams??

Quote Originally Posted by Retired01 View Post

the only thing with the TSP is that the kids have been told its the leg up to the next level in a few years time. A lot of kids in the SAP program have lofty goals. They know there is another level of achievement and for them not to be picked, or even offered to trial has left some a little bewildered.

now, having said that. I have no problem with kids who want to achieve everything in life getting a bit of rejection here and there. its gonna happen in everyday life and the better they handle it now the better it will be for them long term.
    also, i think NNSW and the coaches have done a good job not emphasising the TSP 'too' much. Kids know about it, but its not like they are repeatedly reminded of it. Also at that age ive every faith that the best kids will end up in the right spots, if not right away then eventually.

as for being in the know with TSP, ok i get it, there will always be a level of favouritism in everything we do in life. If the coaches picking the TSP are comfortable with a certain player because of a prior relationship, then as long as the player is good enough its hard to argue.

Every kid ive seen that is in the program is a really good player. def there are kids outside the TSP that are good enough, but by being in SAP they get the chance to play the TSP kids week in week out so thats the best way to test yourself. if they are outstanding, they will get seen.
    Seems like I am WRONG

My boy is at a team that doesn’t train at LMRFF and I’ve not seen any NNSWF coaches at our training sessions. Hopefully, they are out on the road as well.
    ok im not sure of the machinations of every single club, but my understanding is that all were offered the opportunity to train at the facility. This was specifically so the NNSW coaches can watch the kids and the coaches to make sure they were implementing the program as it was designed.
    Some declined this year due to a variety of factors. Some are getting that technical leadership from other areas, some clubs just dont want to travel out to Speers Pt.

You'll have to ask your club why they arent out there. if they have an answer you're comfortable with then cool. if you're not happy with it then talk to them and make sure youre getting the most out of your money. The facility is there to be used, and the coaches are out there every session. if your club has made a decision that prevents the kids from getting the best coaching and opportunity, then let them know.

Also, last year i saw NNSW coaches at games at places like Lisle Carr, Magic Park and Rosebuds. so they do travel.

Also, and it cant be stressed enough, you are allowed to go talk to them. They wouldnt know me from a bar of soap but ive had numerous conversations with them at training and at games just to get a better idea of what they want from the kids, and even things like rules questions for when you ref (if you get dragged into that!!!!). But the guys are all really approachable, and a lot of them are motivated to see the kids do well.
    Seems like I am WRONG