Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: Grassroots Football

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    Again, you don't know what I am or am not forgoing?

The point wasn't about kids enjoyment in community football, the comment was about how much "talent" is falling by the wayside because of the cost of higher development. The counter point is that even back in Timmy cahills day and earlier his mother worked 2 jobs and his brother quit school to work to pay for his football.

The insulation that it has EVER been easy or cheap to get to that level in this country is the fallacy, like things have somehow changed?

Mat Ryans mum - "When I played junior football and went to Westfields High she did things like negotiate the fees were paid off in instalments because, as a clerk for a transport company, it was impossible to pay them in one lump sum."

Craig Johnsons parents sold their house to send him overseas.

When you are talking poverty at the levels of not putting food on the table, the issues are MUCH bigger then playing football. Clothing, Health, Education, Housing affordability, public transport all need to be addressed. You'd could make football free and those kids would still miss out because their parents don't have a car, or can't afford fuel, or can't afford to buy boots to play. It becomes a significantly more complex issue for society then the cost of football fees.

I would argue for those in poverty just about any organised sport even just in the community is inaccessible for them and its just as crap as the public transport system, housing affordability and petrol prices. we live in a country with an extremely high cost of living.
    Seeing Google has educated you about Mat Ryan’s mum’s payment plan let me give you some real world news. Get down to the parks in Jesmond and watch some of the African community boys down there and tell me they couldn’t just walk into any NPL youth team in the area. they would run rings around half the players in the comp on talent alone. But why don’t they play NPL youth? Google that and let us know the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dawson View Post
    Seriously people - ask your club what you get for your registration fees.
    I know of a large club paying:
    $40,000 for their grounds in Newcastle over the course of a year
    $25,000 for the presentation day (incl trophies, rides, food etc)
    $**,000 for maintenance and improvements (where Council are not fulfilling)
    $80,000pa for new uniforms every year that the kids keep (because they cannot find enough volunteers to collect, sort, store and manage every year)
    $*,000 every year subsidising development sessions with professional coaches (part parent paid /part club)
    $*,000 paying junior club refs for mini Roos
    Clubs have 3 streams of revenue available- regos, sponsorships and general fundraising. COVID has slowed sponsorship and fundraising difficult. If either of the last 2 are. It working as they should the last means is increasing rego fees - plain and simple - or you reduce your service level.
    All of this needs to be dispersed via regos, and if parents like and want this level of service they will pay for it.
    All I am saying is, every club is different in what they offer. What has been posted by NNSW is not a true representation - it is not apples vs apples.
    Players shouldnt pay for council ineptitude
    Players shouldnt pay for extra coaching they dont need
    Players shouldnt pay for over the top preso crap if its going to add 100s of dollars to rego

Its football not an ego pumping moron fest.

Quote Originally Posted by The Berlin Wall View Post
    Seeing Google has educated you about Mat Ryan’s mum’s payment plan let me give you some real world news. Get down to the parks in Jesmond and watch some of the African community boys down there and tell me they couldn’t just walk into any NPL youth team in the area. they would run rings around half the players in the comp on talent alone. But why don’t they play NPL youth? Google that and let us know the answer
    have you asked them? why do you assume kids want more or less from football? maybe they don't even know about NPL, or their parents want them to focus on their education. Not all talented players want or have the support of their parents to go further with any sport.

for example, I'm sure theres heaps of girls who are talented football players who aren't allowed to play for cultural reasons. I try not to assume because someone is doing or not doing something ie 'playing at Jesmond and not playing NPL' is because they are too poor to play NPL or don't have other life plans.

frankly it's a little racist and offensive to make assumptions about people at all without actually asking them, I would never assume someone isn't living the life they want or choose to without involving them in the discussion.

have you asked them? why do you assume kids want more or less from football? maybe they don't even know about NPL, or their parents want them to focus on their education. Not all talented players want or have the support of their parents to go further with any sport.

for example, I'm sure theres heaps of girls who are talented football players who aren't allowed to play for cultural reasons. I try not to assume because someone is doing or not doing something ie 'playing at Jesmond and not playing NPL' is because they are too poor to play NPL or don't have other life plans.

frankly it's a little racist and offensive to make assumptions about people at all without actually asking them, I would never assume someone isn't living the life they want or choose to without involving them in the discussion.
    I’ll reply to this one and this one in the same reply, but “you don’t know what I’m forgoing”…. Well if it’s food for your family or medication for yourself or family, or rent (not a mortgage, you’re not on the same level as those who need it if you have an asset of any value that you can fall back on) then I can’t say I would make the same decision. If it’s not those things, then you’re not someone that needs to worry about what football costs, remembering that on top of rego is also all the associated gear, petrol, and of course other children to worry about. It astounds me that you can say premier football (or any football costs) is not a barrier for the best kids when
    1. It is
    2. You clearly are doing fine if your kids play premier football, and if you’re forgoing basic necessities so they can play Newcastle premier football

We lose the best athletes to the cheaper sports daily, we lose the more than best athletes to sports that identify them and pay for them 100%.

The football associations in oz from local to fa are a pyramid scheme, the top takes the cash, the bottom buy in and never see a return - opposite to afl and nrl etc.

Second, I wasn’t you you asked, but yes I have asked them. I’ve played against Simba for years - I’ve spoken to their committee and senior members. The club is set up because those families can’t afford community football, let alone premier. The best ones move after they’re late teenagers and can get their rego paid for by the club, in the senior setup, or the community sometimes sponsors them. Reaching into your already somewhat empty pockets to support someone else’s kid in your community to play premier football is so backward it’s not funny.

You’re just wrong lol.

If you think saying that kids in the African community are better than half the kids running around NPL is racist then you are more woke and over-privileged than you appear. Which is frankly amazing. To steep to the lowest of the low because your only lens is via a middle-class rose tinted bubble is pathetic.

Like my new best mate Jess Pinkman I have spent plenty of time around the clubs playing in those suburbs that you refuse to drive to and it is super clear that those kids have the same dreams your kids do. I won't repeat Jesse's reasons why thousands of dollars for soccer isn't achievable, other than to say he's right. But go ahead and tell us again that you taking time away Married at First Sight is the REAL sacrifice here.

Just stick to moaning with your friends about how hard it is to get your $50K SUV to all the grounds your kids need to and stay away from social comment because you clearly do not have a clue.

Banned
    Like the other big sports in Aus football needs to be funded from top down.

Banned
    $14 ffA $20 nnsw $40 NewcF. Thats $74 for each player before we get the u6s -u12s community on the park. Scrap that crap.

Club kit and club component is most necessary. Have a stepped cap. u6 $50. u7 60, u8 70, u9 80 u10 90 and then 100 for the rest. Maybe a kit levy if needed.

Some clubs have over 500 junior community players. Thats a lot of doe.

Others like Ham Azzurri get their stuff done on next to nothing. If a club wants 500ft light towers then get corporate sponsors or stfu.

I can't believe no one even wants to comment on the insurance costs.
    24% of NNSWF costs are insurance related.
    Players should be required to provide their own insurance or sign a waiver.

In 40 years of playing multiple different sports I have copped a lengthy injury list. Probably about 4 weeks in hospital, a couple of surgeries and too many visits to the Emergency Room.

Not once have I or anyone I have ever known been required to claim against any sporting association or club.

I play O35's football still but I have income protection insurance & health insurance which is above and beyond the ridiculously low cover that approximately $600,000 of spend is required for.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    spot on about insurance

I've run the All Age mens and Old Man sides Cooks Hill United for about half of it's history

I think in that time we've had probably two players get any money out of the insurance provided

you need to draw on your personal health insurance first, that's part of what we have to sign up to

then the income protection is once you've been off for more than three months (which would have to be a pretty serious injury)

not being able to opt out, or replace with your own insurance (which you have to anyway) is the bit that pisses me off about it

so for the tens of thousands we give to insurance every season, we've claimed at most, two thousand

Quote Originally Posted by matmoncrieff View Post
    What it doesn't say is that entry level kids at our club play up to 10 competition games more than any other club
    How are your community kids playing 10 more competition games than any other club?

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Lots of other little incidental costs like Electricity, Water, council fees.
    If your club is in Lake Macquarie and they are telling you they have to pay for Electricity and water on top of the council fee (which can only be ground hire), then they are spinning you a lie as they are included in the ground hire fees.

If a Newcastle club then they do have to pay for lights on top of the hire fee for grounds but not water.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldy View Post
    This is an ahole comment.
    Its not supposed to be a ripoff societal business. Its supposed to be a healthy viable option for ALL families to participate without being ripped off for a change.
    Clubs can still sign the best without being thieving grubs.
    Its the arrogance and thieving from clubs and this chump thinks its ok. Your stance on this is a disgrace to the game.
    Indeed because the kids aren't just going to one club other another there are kids leaving the code for good. Clubs who are charging high fees aren't doing anyone any favours by turning parents away from putting their kids in the sport.

It's amazing just seeing the price difference between some of these clubs at entry level - we're talking Under 5 & 6 kids!

It's not just the football pyramid at the top who are greedy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (92.1 KB, 20 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (89.8 KB, 14 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (90.3 KB, 16 views)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
    It's amazing just seeing the price difference between some of these clubs at entry level - we're talking Under 5 & 6 kids!

It's not just the football pyramid at the top who are greedy!
    Exactly.
    And we're talking about u6 to u12s who are in it for the fun n giggles.
    They dont need lights.
    They train usually once a week maybe twice and play 14 games.

The whole package should be around $140 max.

Costs of Football, if you want to give feedback, send an email to review@northernnswfootball.com.au
    Link came from the costs of Football page.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    I was talking to Macquarie about this today. Not disclosing the extra $65 at rego is deceitful at best.
    Haha pot meet the kettle.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    How are your community kids playing 10 more competition games than any other club?
    We run a HUB at Kahibah, so we plan as many games as we can fit in. I think our 20 odd U6 and U7 teams will get hopefully around 24 games in this year maybe more if we don't get washouts. The other ages get more games as well. The fees advertised in a lot of cases are just not reflective of what some clubs offer over other clubs. I'm not pushing our barrow and we don't go out and openly advertise what we offer for our fee, just trying to make it clear that just looking at the fee alone cannot determine whether a club is too expensive. If a club is too high for your liking then in most cases there is another club just around the corner. I pay dance fee's I know what's cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by matmoncrieff View Post
    We run a HUB at Kahibah, so we plan as many games as we can fit in. I think our 20 odd U6 and U7 teams will get hopefully around 24 games in this year maybe more if we don't get washouts. The other ages get more games as well. The fees advertised in a lot of cases are just not reflective of what some clubs offer over other clubs. I'm not pushing our barrow and we don't go out and openly advertise what we offer for our fee, just trying to make it clear that just looking at the fee alone cannot determine whether a club is too expensive. If a club is too high for your liking then in most cases there is another club just around the corner. I pay dance fee's I know what's cheaper.
    How’s the dancing going, I hope you’ve improved 😂

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    How’s the dancing going, I hope you’ve improved 😂
    Always room for improvement.

Anyone on here got any advice on how to obtain a Clubs General Meeting minutes when the Club Committee won't release the minutes?

It's pretty ridiculous that a Community Sporting Club would prefer to get Solicitors involved rather than being actually transparent.