Thread: GVE - please read ;)

GVE - please read ;)

I know he doesn't hang out here but it it is the thought that counts ....

Liverpools new coach Brendan Rogers on some changes he wants to make at Liverpool from here:
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/...-about-revival

"Last year we (Swansea) used to defend with the ball and people in this country don't seem to understand that, they think you defend without the ball.

"But it is all about penetration and that is what I will look to bring here.

"Possession is no good on its own, it has to be with penetration."
    Emphasis is mine.

I don't know how many times last season we dominated possession but just passed it all round the park and did nothing with it.

Still waiting for those "forward 3rd" signings Gary, hopefully they can provide some penetration.

Penetration is good...

penetration, the occupation of the nation

I love penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by scarfy96 View Post
    I don't know how many times last season we dominated possession but just passed it all round the park and did nothing with it.
    We were defending with the ball.

Possession is no good on its own, it has to be with penetration
    That explains marriage problems in a nutshell !

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    That explains marriage problems in a nutshell !
    With marriage and football you might also want to remember that "penetration is no good without possession". It will keep you out of a lot of trouble.

Screw possession football.

4-2-4 or 4-4-2.

Get it wide down the flanks and use brute force and pace to get it into the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post
    Screw possession football.

4-2-4 or 4-4-2.

Get it wide down the flanks and use brute force and pace to get it into the box.
    This. Peter Crouch and Josh Kennedy as marquees. Sign Milligan for his long throws.

Sorted.

I remember borrowing a book from Newcastle Library once about the "English method" of playing football which was apparently based on a thorough statistical study that found that most goals are scored within 3 passes after a team regained posession. So, players were coached to play a direct attacking style. It may be that the English method produced self-fulfilling statistical results.

The book would probably be laughed at today but I wonder if the statistics are similar today.

The next Jetstream podcast episode may answer a bunch of questions/concerns you guys have. Sat down and interviewed GVE for about 25 minutes.
    I will upload over the weekend.

everyone knows short passes are for cowards. long passes are less likely to succeed and only the brave will attempt them.

/zhanglo

Quote Originally Posted by hauss View Post
    I remember borrowing a book from Newcastle Library once about the "English method" of playing football which was apparently based on a thorough statistical study that found that most goals are scored within 3 passes after a team regained posession. So, players were coached to play a direct attacking style. It may be that the English method produced self-fulfilling statistical results.

The book would probably be laughed at today but I wonder if the statistics are similar today.
    Get "inverting the pyramid"
    Johnathan Wilson speaks of this study you mention..... And how those who ignored it win games

Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    everyone knows short passes are for cowards. long passes are less likely to succeed and only the brave will attempt them.

/zhanglo
    Drive for show, put for dough?

Quote Originally Posted by hauss View Post
    I saw this.
    Yes 2 quick long passes works for gypos every week.
    Possession football although important and looks rad needs to quick when going forward. Also needs to have players who can aim and keep therefore not in aleague.

Lets be honest. Is Barcelona's success really because they play boring possession based football?

Of course not. Look who they have on their books?

But they made them who they are by teaching them to play that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post
    Lets be honest. Is Barcelona's success really because they play boring possession based football?

Of course not. Look who they have on their books?
    I love the Internet.