Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Arnie's out - Who's in???

Im just glad we haven't recycled someone else's coach. Nice to see someone new honestly.
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    Im just glad we haven't recycled someone else's coach. Nice to see someone new honestly.
    Yep me too. I think stubbins should of been given a shot before we got given gve back.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    I'll agree with the bolded, but gombau's pedigree of coaching at Barca is much more impressive than a journey assistant manager, which is what Stubbins has been.

And if I'm honest, the idea of him mentoring Zane is ludicrous and is my biggest issue with it. What can he teach Zane that anyone else couldn't have?
    So we sign a gaffer now to mentor an assistant so we will be in contention in 5 years time?!?!

Solid without being spectacular style of appointment...given budget and available options they have done alright all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Firstly stop sneering at the Thai League.

These blokes rolled Brisbane in the ACL and the Thai club gave Victree an almighty run in their qualifier this year. Sure it may not have the profile of J League K League Chinese SuperLeague etc but like our country it is a growing professional League that with population base will quickly take off quicker than ours one day.

Add in the fact the Thai team have given the Socceroos some tough games shows that as a footballing nation they ain't ****ing mugs
    Well in Member.
    we need to get rid of this ignorant and arrogant attitude that we have in this country that most Asian countries are football minnows. Didn't the Vietnamese teach our U/17's a footballing lesson a few months back, just as another example. Stubbins was assistant at Adelaide for a few years and as there are only 10 Head coaching positions available in the A-League he has had to go overseas to get that Head coach experience. Hopefully now with that experience in Thailand he is now ready to take on an A-League role with our club.

Head coach experience in Thailand.

That could mean so much more than anything to do with football depending on which part of Bangkok he worked in.

Move on....

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Essers View Post
    So we sign a gaffer now to mentor an assistant so we will be in contention in 5 years time?!?!

Solid without being spectacular style of appointment...given budget and available options they have done alright all things considered.
    That is what Middleby said we were looking at, many times. Fact is, when Stubbins leaves, which hopefully he isn't and he's successful here, but if he does, we'll be left with Zane who our magnificent management as picked as our next coach after Phil, what positives will he leave, compared to someone like Arnie?
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

That is what Middleby said we were looking at, many times. Fact is, when Stubbins leaves, which hopefully he isn't and he's successful here, but if he does, we'll be left with Zane who our magnificent management as picked as our next coach after Phil, what positives will he leave, compared to someone like Arnie?
    I guess nothing is set in stone. Things change and promises are broken all the time.

"looking at" maybe they did look at it, realised they couldnt afford it and went elsewhere.

I cant really see anyone worth Zane learning from coming in on the cheap or being happy with the club saying "meet Clayton, we expect you to groom him to take over from you so we can sack you in a few years and give him the job"

if Rm said the club were "looking at" thats different to him saying "we will".

It’s also worth noting that the club said the exact same thing about Deans, after he filled an interim position before GVE got here and look where that has lead for deans, overlooked for the interim position when GVE was sacked and out the door a little while longer.

If the club is about building a club philosophy and style that can be transitioned internally then they need to allow the head coach to pick his own assistants not dictate who they have to use. It’s not like that approach worked for the Aus national team when they insisted on the likes of Arnold or Vidmar & it’s not exactly worked that well in the HAL for the clubs who have tried to promote assistants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.