Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Rugby League is crap

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post
    Mason busted for DUI this morning.
    Great bunch of role models they are

Tried to get a post up this morning on the Herald but it has failed to pass.

I did not name the player in that post, but I once saw P*** H******n, pick up a takeaway at a Chinese a bit the worse for wear, his shirt was half out and he dropped his keys on the floor - obviously a bit tiddly. No issues at the restaurant, he was quiet and just waited for his order. He picked it up and then staggered out to the car where his wife and child were, and then got into the DRIVERS seat. I was completely gobsmacked he could be so stupid. As he pulled away I thought he would surely be pulled over but such was the Knights clout at the time, the cop would've gone "hey C***f, just take it easy and get your arse home - can I have your autograph !)

The thickhead comments on the Herald include some justifying it because others cop it - however a professional NRL player should understand the impacts of alcohol on his body - it's his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    however a professional NRL player should understand the impacts of alcohol on his body - it's his job.
    no they dont. why this thread was born cause most novos cant admit that nrl players can do wrong

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    The thickhead comments on the Herald include some justifying it because others cop it - however a professional NRL player should understand the impacts of alcohol on his body - it's his job.
    Always baffles me how they are actually allowed to drink during the season. As the game is quite professional with sports science rehab/recovery etc I find it amazing they are allowed to drink during the season.

Player runs around for 80 mins taking a tremendous physical toll on his body then goes out after the game and gets on the piss until all hours. Surely the sensible thing would be to be at home sleeping and recovering from the exertion. No these blokes are out actually hampering their recovery by putting a product into the system that takes out vital nutrients and vitamins from the body.

Considering the clubs pay them 100k 200k 300k etc you would think they would take some ownership of the situation and not tolerate their players ****ing their bodies up and not being at their best to train/play during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Always baffles me how they are actually allowed to drink during the season. As the game is quite professional with sports science rehab/recovery etc I find it amazing they are allowed to drink during the season.

Player runs around for 80 mins taking a tremendous physical toll on his body then goes out after the game and gets on the piss until all hours. Surely the sensible thing would be to be at home sleeping and recovering from the exertion. No these blokes are out actually hampering their recovery by putting a product into the system that takes out vital nutrients and vitamins from the body.

Considering the clubs pay them 100k 200k 300k etc you would think they would take some ownership of the situation and not tolerate their players ****ing their bodies up and not being at their best to train/play during the season.
    Even for you this is a fairly baffling comment.
    Cause I'm sure you'd love to be told what to do in your spare time.
    Even Cliffy Lyons used to suck on a bunger at halftime and he was a ledge. Didn't affect him none.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post
    Mason busted for DUI this morning.
    Couple of quiet beers the day before sir. Didn't eat that much. Wouldn't have driven other than having an early start at training. Very soz, will not do it again*. Might do a PSA if that's cool.

*may or may not be true.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Even for you this is a fairly baffling comment.
    Cause I'm sure you'd love to be told what to do in your spare time.
    Even Cliffy Lyons used to suck on a bunger at halftime and he was a ledge. Didn't affect him none.
    Not disputing what Cliffy done back in the day smoking bungers in the corner of the dressing sheds at Ht and all that.

Those days though are long gone.

The argument players shouldn't tolerate being told what they can and can't do in their spare time doesn't wash. They get diet plans , vitamin plans and all the other medical science shoved at them to have their bodies in best nick possible. Then the dumb ****s set themselves back by getting legless on the weekend.

Many other sportsman have things written in their contracts that prohibit them from doing certain activities. Considering the club invests lots of time and money in these players Why can't they protect their investment by banning them from drinking during the season??

To say Alcohol has no effects on the body at their age is bullshit. It effects everyone know matter what the age

FFS I am still struggling after Saturdays shenanigans

FFS I am still struggling after Saturdays shenanigans
    Maybe should give up the booze then.

Agree with the member. (Shoot me now)

Luke Longley had a clause in his contract with the Chicago bulls from body surfing..... And i think from riding his motorbikes.

Drinking in season or in preseason is ludicrous for a pro-athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Agree with the member. (Shoot me now)

Luke Longley had a clause in his contract with the Chicago bulls from body surfing..... And i think from riding his motorbikes.

Drinking in season or in preseason is ludicrous for a pro-athlete.
    Nah, they can do what they want, they are entertainers farkern. Nothing more, nothing less. You should be more concerned with your local rocket surgeon, brain scientist, teacher, pilot and bus driver having their performance affected by booze than your average footyhead.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Many other sportsman have things written in their contracts that prohibit them from doing certain activities. Considering the club invests lots of time and money in these players Why can't they protect their investment by banning them from drinking during the season??
    then they should be dictating what speed they drive, what air they breathe and what furniture they sit on.
    FFS 99% of the population can handle their grog without it buggering up their profession. Go after the 1%. Leave us professional winos alone.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Nah, they can do what they want, they are entertainers farkern. Nothing more, nothing less. You should be more concerned with your local rocket surgeon, brain scientist, teacher, pilot and bus driver having their performance affected by booze than your average footyhead.
    But they aren't mere entertainers. They represent clubs, clubs people are part of. Be human by all means, get done for DUI in the off season, but when your body is needed to be at top condition to perform at your best for the club you represent stay off alcohol. Wenger own trophies at arsenal just by getting the first XI to stop drininkng.

But they aren't mere entertainers. They represent clubs, clubs people are part of. Be human by all means, get done for DUI in the off season, but when your body is needed to be at top condition to perform at your best for the club you represent stay off alcohol. Wenger own trophies at arsenal just by getting the first XI to stop drininkng.
    Look, i dont wish to get into a slanging match, but professional sport is entertainment and the participants are entertainers. that they represent more to certain sections of society shouldnt bother the players. to a lot of pro sportsmen its just a job like the rest of us have. they dont give a toss as long as they are getting paid.
    hence why i hate the fact they should be held to higher standards.

Also from the Arsenal files:
    Ray Parlour: the English lads were drinking, the French smoking and Arsenal still won the Double
    Former Arsenal greats Ray Parlour and Nigel Winterburn have told an online chat show about the extent of the drinking culture at the club and how it did not stop them from doing the Double
    It may have taken him three days to admit, but Jack Wilshere has owned up to smoking a cigarette on a night out after Arsenal’s 2-0 victory over Napoli last week, but insists he is not a smoker.
    “I spoke with the boss. He asked me what happened and we sorted it out."

“He put me in the team [against West Brom], and hopefully I repaid him."
    Seems like I am WRONG

Who here is holding them to higher standards?
    I'd expect anyone whose job is hindered by alcohol to not consume it.

Who here is holding them to higher standards?
    I'd expect anyone whose job is hindered by alcohol to not consume it.
    Im assuming you are because you dont think sportspeople should drink.
    My assumption is that Mason has to be at peak performance for kickoff in game one. Its currently their off season.
    He was busted the morning after having a few drinks. A crime that will be dealt with by the appropriate authorities.
    Do you think the teachers union would allow teachers to be tested every morning before school? Not a chance, but in my opinion they are a way more important part of the community than footy players.
    But as stated, just my opinion.
    Seems like I am WRONG

My assumption is that Mason has to be at peak performance for kickoff in game one. Its currently their off season.
    He was busted the morning after having a few drinks. A crime that will be dealt with by the appropriate authorities.
    Do you think the teachers union would allow teachers to be tested every morning before school? Not a chance, but in my opinion they are a way more important part of the community than footy players.
    Just depends if you get got or not ay!
    We have been saved.

I concur with plague. Mason should be able to have a few on his days off, no worries. If he can't perform at training then he gets a kick up the bum

DUI however is a massive no-no and he should cop appropriate punishment. Wes Naiqama says hi

In Masons defence you'd need to be shit faced drunk to play Rugby League let alone watch the shit.

The report I read said he was being tested on his way to training... And blew 0.09, I think anyone on their way to work should be expected to be sober. Not holding sportsmen any higher than any other profession. drink in offseason, not the day before a training session.

He, like any professional should be doing his job sober. Part of his job is to have his body ready for his job, alcohol impedes this, so he shouldn't be drinking before training. Pretty simple.

As for teachers, if I got rbt'd on the way to work and blew 0.09 I'd expect to be severely reprimanded, and not expect an support from the federation.
    If I was drinking on my day off and am not sober enough to drive to work the next day, then I'm not doing my job properly.
    If I'm drinking and start planning lessons, then sober up and go to work to teach lessons prepared when drunk, I'm not doing my job properly either.

Whether he 'can perform' at training or not is irrelevant, if he's not preparing his body to best possible condition, he's not performing at the highest level he's capable of.

Banned
    Well said GazFish.

The Knights pay him x amount of dollars a year to do a job and represent the Hunter to the best of his ability. Getting on the turps is actually compromising his ability to do what he gets paid for to the best of his ability.

Pretty certain a NRL player wouldn't be tolerated dining through the week at KFC then Maccas then Hungry Jacks then the local Fish and Chipper, then the Kebab shop, then having a fry up Saturday before getting a pizza on Sunday as his diet wouldn't be maximising his physical well being. Why is alcohol consumption any different???