Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Rugby League is crap

Banned
    Three players were sent off and a spectator was ejected from the ground during the Newcastle and Hunter Rugby League D-grade grand final between Hinton Pirates and Abermain Hawks on Saturday at Cahill Oval.
    Hinton centre Zach Thackeray was sent off late in the second half for starting a brawl after an Abermain try.
    As he was walking from the field, Thackeray began punching Abermain's Craig Lee, which caused a second melee.
    A member of the crowd then attacked Thackeray.
    refs fault

Question

Quote Originally Posted by terry View Post
    refs fault
    On my phone so I can't post the link...
    The above incident made NBN news last night I believe

More on the weekend brawl...you can't make this shit up !!

AN Abermain Hawks club member will front the Newcastle Rugby League judiciary on Thursday night after a pregnant woman was allegedly assaulted during a grand final brawl that spilt into the crowd.
    The alleged incident occurred late in the Newcastle and Hunter Rugby League first-division decider between D-grade sides Abermain and the Hinton Pirates at Belmont's Cahill Oval on Saturday morning.
    A brawl erupted when Hinton centre Zach Thackeray was sent off for fighting. He threw another punch at Abermain's Craig Lee as he was walking off the field.
    Another melee ensued, spilling over the sidelines in front of the grandstand.
    It is alleged an Abermain club member, who was not playing in the game, became involved.
    A pregnant Pirates supporter was caught in the wild scenes, and alleges she was hit in the side of the stomach.
    Ground security removed an Abermain spectator involved. It is also alleged the ejected fan later shouted at the woman in the car park.
    The woman said she went to Maitland Hospital, where her baby was cleared of injury, and later reported the incident to police.
    Newcastle Rugby League general manager John Fahey confirmed his organisation was investigating the incident and an Abermain club member would face a code of conduct charge.
    He said there were allegedly witnesses who supported the woman's claims: "We're aware of an incident with the lady and she's put reports in that we haven't seen yet."
    I noted on NBN last night they had a story about the ONE guy prosecuted over the WSW/SFC "riot"....and then went on for the next five minutes on Homebush being "the centre of the sporting universe" this weekend !!!

Is this one of the brawls mentioned? Or another one.
    Note fella in brown shirt near the end of vid.

Poll hijack required....

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/36...ortals/?cs=303

Yes - his on field indiscretions should have been taken into account. The guy is an arrogant tool if you have ever met him casually. Then there's the Cricketers incident, the Wests incident...it just goes on.

Personally, I thought Mal Meninga far more worthy at this time.

Part agree jetmaster great player, twit off the field. He never turned up for members events, which was quite dissaponting considering he was an idol to say many. Have only met him about twice, not as easy going as other rugby league players I have met.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Poll hijack required....

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/36...ortals/?cs=303

Yes - his on field indiscretions should have been taken into account. The guy is an arrogant tool if you have ever met him casually. Then there's the Cricketers incident, the Wests incident...it just goes on.

Personally, I thought Mal Meninga far more worthy at this time.
    Whatever man. Johns was pretty much the greatest player of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    Both Noddy and Alf were picked as rep half-backs instead of him on several occasions so it's a stretch to call him the best ever.

Johns was never an automatic selection as half-back for NSW or Australia.

Why Norm Provan doesn't get selected as an immortal is beyond me. Ten straight premierships. Four as Captain Coach.

Ron Coote was a lock and yet when he played rep football he went to 2nd row because he was nowhere near the class of Raper.

Hence, Coote being an immortal is a bit of a stretch as well.

Provan was robbed
    Last edited by The Dunster; 29-09-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    This ^^...Joey was versatile enough to play hooker at the time when Anderson looked after his mate Noddy.Yeah in trouble off the park but people questioning his ability FFS
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Quote Originally Posted by seldom View Post
    This ^^...Joey was versatile enough to play hooker at the time when Anderson looked after his mate Noddy.Yeah in trouble off the park but people questioning his ability FFS
    So if Messi is the 2nd best keeper at Barca you would put him between the sticks if the #1 got hurt?
    No you put him in his best spot cause he's the best player. If versatility was a factor then Kurt Gidley or Matt Geyer should be up for nomination soon.
    I don't care about the off field stuff or his personality. He was no worse that probably 80% of blokes who ever played.

I just think Allan Langer was a way better player than Johns and for some reason has been forgotten about in the whole debate.

And that's not to knock Johns' ability. But IMHO I would put
    1. Langer.
    2. Johns.
    3. Lockyer.
    As the order the next lot should have gone in.
    I have no opinion on Provan because I've never watched him play so it's up for others to decide if he's better than the above 3.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Both Noddy and Alf were picked as rep half-backs instead of him on several occasions so it's a stretch to call him the best ever.

Johns was never an automatic selection as half-back for NSW or Australia.

Why Norm Provan doesn't get selected as an immortal is beyond me. Ten straight premierships. Four as Captain Coach.

Ron Coote was a lock and yet when he played rep football he went to 2nd row because he was nowhere near the class of Raper.

Hence, Coote being an immortal is a bit of a stretch as well.

Provan was robbed
    Alf was only being picked ahead of him earlier in Johns' career because he was more established and obviously a great player as well. Kimmorley was a good half back and had his fair share of rep games, but from memory Johns omission from NSW was usually due to injury. He still played about 13 more Origins than Noddy.

Proven is definitely worthy of an induction.

johns played hooker for nsw simply so that the two best playmakers could fit into the same team. johns was strong enough defensively (and physically) to play hooker and noddy wasn't.

if there had been a top class hooker available for nsw at the time, noddy would never have been picked at half-back.

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    johns played hooker for nsw simply so that the two best playmakers could fit into the same team. johns was strong enough defensively (and physically) to play hooker and noddy wasn't.

if there had been a top class hooker available for nsw at the time, noddy would never have been picked at half-back.
    Fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post

Noddy started as half-back in all three games in the 2000 origin series. Toovey started as hooker and Johns was used from the bench as a hooker in games two and three.

Therefore, the selectors chose another half-back before Johns to play hooker.

Too many question marks for Johns to be an immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Noddy started as half-back in all three games in the 2000 origin series. Toovey started as hooker and Johns was used from the bench as a hooker in games two and three.

Therefore, the selectors chose another half-back before Johns to play hooker.

Too many question marks for Johns to be an immortal.
    Johns didn't play every game he was eligible for in his career. Someone alert the authorities.

spose its a matter of opinion...personally I applaud the decision
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Quote Originally Posted by seldom View Post
    state league rumours and mods are all over it but here anything goes.....sweet
    I think it might be worth deleting all the posts about mental health. The conversation really isn't adding anything and judging from the responses it is not going to be resolved any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
    The conversation really isn't adding anything and judging from the responses it is not going to be resolved any time soon.
    Good point, well said.

Back on topic.
    Footy is crap.
    Caaaaarrrrrrrrnnnnnnnn Doggies

Quote Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
    I think it might be worth deleting all the posts about mental health. The conversation really isn't adding anything and judging from the responses it is not going to be resolved any time soon.
    Done.