Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Rugby League is crap

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    That's true. Support will be there.

For me, the difference is in the corporate dollars.
    Yeah again though that's been a Jets failure since day 1.

team could be killing the comp yet if the admin treats local business like it has since day 1 then they'll never get anywhere near the Knights.

Again, the Knights made everyone with a small biz happy to chip in a bit extra feel like they belonged to the club.

Jets want to be in the 'sales' business, Knights have always been in the 'reorder' business.

There's a huge difference.

Funny part is the V8's gonna come to town and teach both clubs how to do corporate properly.

Those guys are the best in Aust sport by a mile.

But as usual they'll get sneered at as bogans etc etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Funny part is the V8's gonna come to town and teach both clubs how to do corporate properly.

Those guys are the best in Aust sport by a mile.

But as usual they'll get sneered at as bogans etc etc etc.
    True - but it's also an example of the price you have to pay in staying financially viable as well.

Hard to explain but it used to be a very family orientated sport where we all knew and looked out for each other - today everyone is just a number who's value is determined by how much coin the corporate machine can shake out of you.

Admittedly, things had to change and without the current setup we'd have nothing - but it's all just so sterile and lifeless now that I would be lucky to watch 10mins of it a year let alone turn up to meetings.

How people can be loyal to a team / brand these days is beyond me when the cars are all practically identical apart from the badge on the grill.

I can remember seeing E49 vs GTHO vs Monaro vs XU1 - that was racing.

We should also remember that it was also corporate types who played a big part in closing down so many of our tracks over the past 40 years as well.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 04-07-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Without disagreeing with you about the old timey days I'll make a few points.

As a group, V8 drivers are by far the most marketable and accessible athletes in Australian sport (a mandated policy btw).

Agree on the 'level of racing'. As with any sport trying to achieve parity, the one team with 'an' advantage automatically has 'all' the advantage. (Sub in 'money' there also).

Newcastle is a great example of what they do right though.

Street tracks generally are 'bad' for racing (lack of overtaking etc). A better race for the purists could have been held elsewhere in the city area on wider roads with better opportunities for competition. But the visuals of the track around the beach. The access for fans to facilities, hotels, transport, and the appeal to corporate support, let alone how stunning it will look on TV meant that Newcastle CBD was the perfect option to have the race.

So what the V8's did was essentially sacrifice the purity of the race itself in order to enhance the whole sport.

I think that's pretty brilliant thinking, and I'm amiss to think it happens in any other sport on that level.

Smart people.

The drivers were always accessible - probably more so in the past than they are today - simply because the drivers in the early 1980's out numbered the spectators.

how many slabs can you bury in the park at newy beach before the constabulary get wind of it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    The drivers were always accessible - probably more so in the past than they are today - simply because the drivers in the early 1980's out numbered the spectators.
    Oh yeah but I was comparing them to modern day 'football' players who just don't seem to understand the role of media in promoting the sport.

Yes there 'exceptions' in each code but as a whole I'd rate them all pretty poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    how many slabs can you bury in the park at newy beach before the constabulary get wind of it?
    Find yo self a mate with an apartment on track.

Old Warren Smith will be combing those beaches nice and early to scoop up any contraband.

What has this V8 love got to do with rugby league?

Oh yeah but I was comparing them to modern day 'football' players who just don't seem to understand the role of media in promoting the sport.

Yes there 'exceptions' in each code but as a whole I'd rate them all pretty poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    footy sux

I dunno.... I once "outsmarted" the NYE regiment by walking around past where the Grain Store is now, and dropping my esky over the other side of the railing into a garden bed.

Proceeded to get pummelled by about 8x teenage boys later in the evening, good times

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Hmmmm join the dots. simple cunce can rejoice all in one town

Banned
    Anyone catch the Drugby League game today??

Wonder how many dead Knights fans there will be after that effort

**** I think they have raised the bar and Bert Boogaard and the boys need to step up

Gee that will take some topping even for us

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Anyone catch the Drugby League game today??

Wonder how many dead Knights fans there will be after that effort

**** I think they have raised the bar and Bert Boogaard and the boys need to step up

Gee that will take some topping even for us
    I dont watch much league but watching the end 20 minutes or so of that game it just felt like i, like many others, knew the knights would find a way to lose that game

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    I dont watch much league but watching the end 20 minutes or so of that game it just felt like i, like many others, knew the knights would find a way to lose that game
    I don't watch Rugby League except I just happen to be watching when it's time to laugh about something to do with it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Reminded me of that game in Brisvegas where the Gypos choked in the final 4 mins or the 99 UCL final where Bayern imploded in Injury Time after dominating the game

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    what sort of plastic fan thinks that a game of rapist ball bears any resembelence to one of the greatest miracles of all time?

absolute disc race

Griff would be rolling in his new swimming pool

Find yo self a mate with an apartment on track.

Old Warren Smith will be combing those beaches nice and early to scoop up any contraband.
    How many you need me to "store"?

So just got my letter from Wests about taking over the Knights. After rambling how great the move is and that Wests "recommends" members support the resolution You are told to attend any West club in the next two weeks and vote "Yes".

How the f&*^ do you vote "no"?

Doesn't say and doesn't say what numbers are required either - fix!