Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Rugby League is crap

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Did someone say plebiscite?
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Did someone say plebiscite?
    You got the first four letters right for them..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Yeah that's what I thought.
    Such a cowardly process.
    People love having the name tags and title on the resume but the second it comes to making a big decision with consequences on all sides they all of a sudden don't wanna be the boss anymore.
    But purchasing the NRL side isn't really the core business of West's

It a loss making activity

If they going to do it for public goodwill etc

At least run it past the members

That way they can't say they weren't consulted

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

Man oh man you got so much wrong in such a short space good job good effort.

On another note I actually went to the Knights game on the weekend.
    Hadn't been to a game in years.
    Just under 12k there.
    Man o man have things changed. Nothing like I remember it as a kid.

Just under 12k there.
    For better or for worse? I think the last game I went to was prior to my wedding - so I'd say around 6 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Just under 12k there.
    Ive been to few at least the Knights players make up for lack of quality and skill with massive efforts every week. The Jerks could learn a few things
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    For better or for worse?
    Atmosphere was way worse. Maybe it was crowd numbers, maybe it's the acoustics in the stadium.

The pre match stuff is just that same dude as the Jets shouting nonsense and they played terrible music over the PA during breaks which was a really poor attempt at an NFL type hype thing but was so poorly executed it wasn't funny.

However as Stanny said whenever the players got stuck in the crowd immediately responded. They celebrated scoring and obviously the win. Small things like Gagai hi fiving kids while running up the tunnel had people (mostly kids) amped up.

Oh and I know there's a section on here that always hated the NEWCASTLE chant, but man it got everyone involved every time it sparked up.

this is probably as low as the Knights will get yet we left there pretty happy they won. I was certainly pretty proud seeing those dudes get a win after everything they've been through.

The chance for the Jets to recapture what they had is also there, but they are still way behind the Knights in terms of community connection.

Also of note 1 kid and 1 manchild ticket in the western stand was over $70 I think. I find it interesting the NRL ticket prices don't ever 'seem' to matter. I know the Jets have always promoted the value of their tickets but maybe again, win some damn games and the rest will take care of itself.

Banned
    Also of note 1 kid and 1 manchild ticket in the western stand was over $70 I think. I find it interesting the NRL ticket prices don't ever 'seem' to matter. I know the Jets have always promoted the value of their tickets but maybe again, win some damn games and the rest will take care of itself.
    That being said the walk up prices to HEAL games though are obscene really

To watch the Jets on the road some of the prices you pay I just cringe when I see it

We getting arse raped in the park anyway so being charged top dollar to see it is adding insult to injury

Banned
    Man oh man you got so much wrong in such a short space good job good effort.
    No I got it spot on

It just good PR on the boards side to run it past the moron members so it all sweet when shit turns sour and the Knights are deemed a basket case that even West's can't make work

No I got it spot on

OK, lets go through it.
    Wests was literally set up to promote and fund the growth and administration of Rugby League in the Hunter. Thats their own words. Also, from Wests point of view there is no 'purchase', its a 'takeover'. Those are two very very different terms. Also, the Wests group propaganda on the takeover states that they believe the increase in NRL funding kicking in from next year will see the Knights immediately break even at an operational level, and thats without any projected revenue increases from sponsorship, gate takings etc.

Ok, so as a Leagues Club Wests cant 'make' money. Any profit earned has to be reinvested in the community. Wests original aim being Rugby League means it would make sense to invest that profit into a rugby league team. So any dollar made form their 'money making ventures' be it pokies gym or restaurants HAS to then be sent to a 'loss making' venture in order to balance the books. Wests is literally involved in dozens of 'loss making' ventures.

The process is that the board has to rubber stamp it, then it gets voted on by the members. Any major decision from the board HAS to be ratified. So they HAVE to consult (like they did paying $15m on the Workers club, or the $6m they are contemplating bailing out Belmont Sporties for......oh hang on is that Wests dealing with a loss making venture say it aint so). This idea of 'get the members to vote' then 'go to the board' then 'get the members to vote' is unecessary and a cop out.

that was my point.
    and it was right.

and you, once again, are terribly wrong.

good day.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Craig Izzard, former rugby league player, now corrupt illegal dumping official

just when you were wondering what crime an NRL player would get charged with next

13,000 out of 120,000 Wests members voted.

Once the Knights Nannas and their ilk were allowed to join for a day and vote it was pretty pointless. The rest couldn't be arsed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    13,000 out of 120,000 Wests members voted.

Once the Knights Nannas and their ilk were allowed to join for a day and vote it was pretty pointless. The rest couldn't be arsed.
    To only allow the vote to happen for 1 week and voting to ONLY occur in person at the club was rather limiting.

93% is lower than I expected. But as has been said, it was just an exercise to say they "consulted the opinion of fans" and no percentage determined to say whether it would/wouldn't proceed. They were always going to go ahead, and I suspect this also contributed to the low numbers.

I wonder if their colours will be changed...
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

They were always going to go ahead, and I suspect this also contributed to the low numbers.
    It was obvious after day one and all the fanfare that this was going through - I couldn't be bothered driving 40kms during the work week to vote tbh.

Had the vote been 93% against they would have then called on the fact that most didn't vote.

bring back the little horses in the sports bar you spineless cowards

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    THIS x 1000!!!!

And the odds wheel. Used to love the guys that would sit there and write down the order trying to identify a pattern

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    Celebrating a win as your horse bolts 6 lengths clear only to have it stop 2 inches from the line and get swamped by the field was a rite of passage for all Newy youth.

No coincidence that since the horses were taken away terrorist attacks have skyrocketed.

Top story on FoxSport is "the real reason why tallis bashed Ross".

I'm sorry, but isn't that considered assault? It comes a cross as a pre-meditated act to assault a persob.