Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014/15 A-League Transfers Rumors & Speculation

If Chapman goes, would we consider Jon McKain?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    If Chapman goes, would we consider Jon McKain?
    What about Gerhardt or even Adama Traore? (we already have 3 centre backs, Traore can fill in when needed.)

Yeah, because Traore would go from a team playing finals football to our shambles of a club when he has left them saying he wants to go to Europe...

And Gerhardt? No thanks.

Chapman probably wants out since kew said he wants to, and has been since Mitchell got a first team gig, playing on the right side CB. The problem with having kew is that it blocks Chapman from playing in his preferred position on the right. It will come down to whether Stubbins wants Kew to phil the leftside CB position to accommodate Chapman or Regan, or if he wants to sign a decent left footed CB, Adrian Madaschi would be my pick of free agent aussie left footed CB’s. The last thing you want is to use 2 visa spots on your CB’s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Adrian Madaschi would be my pick of free agent aussie left footed CB’s. The last thing you want is to use 2 visa spots on your CB’s.
    Hey, thrre's a good call!

Brisbane Roar just won the comp with two right footed CBs. Having one left footed centreback has never really been a priority to me.

I thought Madaschi was a lock for Perth Glory, but they went & signed Djulbic. So unless Thwaite leaves, which I highly doubt, I assume they won't sign Madaschi. Could be a good pickup.

In saying all that, I don't see the worry about using 2 visa spots in one position TBH. Especially if we roll like our team has been, and not even filling our visa quota for a couple of years.
    OK

Madaschi would be a massive pickup, kew and adrian would be one of the best combos in the league!! (expecting chapman to leave)

I'd also want Burns back, an attacking midfielder (flores) and another quality backup striker (Griffo will lead, expecting taggs to leave)

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/...-United-switch

Garcia of to North American 2nd division.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Banned
    Chapman probably wants out since kew said he wants to, and has been since Mitchell got a first team gig, playing on the right side CB. The problem with having kew is that it blocks Chapman from playing in his preferred position on the right. It will come down to whether Stubbins wants Kew to phil the leftside CB position to accommodate Chapman or Regan, or if he wants to sign a decent left footed CB, Adrian Madaschi would be my pick of free agent aussie left footed CB’s. The last thing you want is to use 2 visa spots on your CB’s.
    Maybe Big Phil will turn out to not as much of a dick as our previous managers and just actually pick his two best CD's and tell them to play with one of them on the left.

That also being said Mitchell is off contract so hopefully Big Phil sends him to Centrelink anyway

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Brisbane Roar just won the comp with two right footed CBs. Having one left footed centreback has never really been a priority to me.
    Yep. And it's not like Chapman is horrendously one footed. Guys got mad on the ball skills compared to Mitchell/Regan and that might be more the thinking rather than wanting a left footer - GVE and Zane might have preferred one enforcer type in Mitchell/Regen (let's be honest, both much closer to the definition of no nonsense defenders than anything else) to go with Huge Aliens.

Though to counter my own point... didn't we play with Regan + Mitchell when Kew was suspended?

Yep. And it's not like Chapman is horrendously one footed. Guys got mad on the ball skills compared to Mitchell/Regan and that might be more the thinking rather than wanting a left footer - GVE and Zane might have preferred one enforcer type in Mitchell/Regen (let's be honest, both much closer to the definition of no nonsense defenders than anything else) to go with Huge Aliens.

Though to counter my own point... didn't we play with Regan + Mitchell when Kew was suspended?
    Yes

Yep, I've always thought the whole "must have a left-footed and a right-footed CB" was retarded since GVE first brought it in.

Just play whoever is good ffs. We switch up the left and right-footed attacking players all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Couldn't agree more, it was nonsense brought in by GVE and we will just have to wait and see what Big Phils ideas are, Madaschi was just a thought of a current free agent who could fill that role if we wanted, would also help with the leadership and experience level of the team.
    n saying all that, I don't see the worry about using 2 visa spots in one position TBH. Especially if we roll like our team has been, and not even filling our visa quota for a couple of years.
    My concern would be the drain on salary cap, visa players should be your more expensive players, I don't believe we will be spending the entire salary cap and instead would rather what salary we have allowed for in our budgets to be used to reinforce the gaping hole in our front third creativity. I'd also tend to think the left back would be more likely to require a visa spot as how long has it been since we had a solid left back, gallaway is not the answer.

This little piece of info if correct from David Davutovic also concerns me, as this is precisely how Traore was picked up by GCU, bizarre really if true as its one of the better ways of getting AFC players that might be on the fringe of their first team.

Quote Originally Posted by David Davutovic
    In the Australian phenomenon that is the knee-jerk reaction, the A-League (quietly) introduced a stupid rule last year whereby U-19 oseas players can't be signed - the thinking is that they take the place of young Aussie players. A coach will either play young kids or won't, a better rule is lifting the quota of U21 players a) in squad; b) on the pitch at any given time ie. 3 (More radical!). Quality young oseas players should be welcomed with open arms.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/fo...-1226905761346
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

This little piece of info if correct from David Davutovic also concerns me, as this is precisely how Traore was picked up by GCU, bizarre really if true as its one of the better ways of getting AFC players that might be on the fringe of their first team.
    To be fair, most other countries don't allow U18 players to be signed. Isn't that exactly what Barcelona got done for? Changing it to U19 isn't really much of an issue, IMO.

Hot rumour off the press... Carney's agent contacted by MV to discuss replacing Traore as #1 left back.

Hot rumour off the press... Carney's agent contacted by MV to discuss replacing Traore as #1 left back.
    Surely he'd rather stay here and bamboozle opp right backs from the wing

Sounds about right. We don't need carney anyway, do we?
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Sauce says keen to stay but testing the waters. With Troisi loan finished and Finkler not yet re-signed, there is the possibility of him playing higher up the pitch still.

My concern would be the drain on salary cap, visa players should be your more expensive players, I don't believe we will be spending the entire salary cap and instead would rather what salary we have allowed for in our budgets to be used to reinforce the gaping hole in our front third creativity.
    Sorry to nit pick at you're post Pico. My Understanding is the Club receives $2.5 million from the TV deal which is directly tied to players salary and nothing else. So there is no need for us to not be using the whole Cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Sorry to nit pick at you're post Pico. My Understanding is the Club receives $2.5 million from the TV deal which is directly tied to players salary and nothing else. So there is no need for us to not be using the whole Cap.
    I think his point was that if you are going to use the whole cap, you wouldn't use it on one higher priced foreigner if you could get two adequately skilled locals at a lower price.

Personally, I don't know if low key foreigners would be signing on mega bucks compared to the locals. Maybe someone like Kew who has a pretty healthy pedigree but some of the complete unknowns that have signed here wouldn't be on massive coin to start with. Berisha for example - you would have had to pay more for an Australian of his quantity at the time he signed. Obviously as MV marquee that's not the case now but back then he wouldn't have demanded a massive wage compared to signing a known Australian quality.