Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (Punxsutawney) Phil Stubbins

(Punxsutawney) Phil Stubbins

Westvale Olympic FC

Stubbins first stint into club management was with Westvale Olympic. Together with the club they successfully travelled through the State leagues of Victorian football by claiming a championship in each of the years 94, 95, 96, 98.

Whittlesea Stallions FC

Whittlesea Stallions FC became a newly formed member of the Victorian State League in 2000. Stubbins coached the youthful Stallions to two championships in their first two campaigns before moving on in 2004.

Heidelberg United FC

As a former player of the club, Stubbins returned as coach to Heidelberg United in 2004. His first year in charge was again to prove fruitful, as the club were crowned champions of the Victorian State League, first division. The club finished Runner/up in the Victorian Premier League the following season and also attained a grand final berth against eventual winners Green Gully FC.

Richmond FC

Stubbins accepted a challenging role with Richmond FC in 2006, joining the German backed outfit in last position on the Victorian Premier League table and halfway through their fixtures. Nevertheless, he successfully helped to steer the club away from relegation and finish a respectable mid-table.

Coach of the Year

Stubbins was named Victorian, Coach of the Year in 2005/6.

Adelaide United FC

In 2007 Stubbins joined Adelaide United of the Australian 'A' League as first team Coach and Aurelio Vidmar, as manager. Together they experienced many successful occasions during their Asian Champions League forays.

They also held a place in the 'A' League Grand Finalof 2009, losing 1-0 to Melbourne Victory.

Thailand

In 2012 Stubbins further expanded on his football experiences by taking an offer to work in South East Asia and the Thai Premier League, in particular.

He spent a year with Police United FC as their Technical Director before moving over to Bangkok Glass FC as Manager/Head Coach. However, both parties agreed to go separate ways before the season got under way in March 2013.

In September 2013 Stubbins accepted an offer to join 16th placed Ayutthaya FC of Thailand. The 1st division club ultimately going on to consolidate an 8th place finish in the league after undertaking a nine game unbeaten run under Stubbins guidance.

Stubbins was twice awarded Coach of the Monthduring this period.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Hardly the experienced guy we were promised. Why not any of the local coaches FFS. Hell, Kossie, Miron, Branko etc would have been better

And what can he teach Zane FFS? How to manage at Thai Premier League level? Is that what we're aspiring to now?
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Welcome appointment. Look forward to see what he brings

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Welcome appointment. Look forward to see what he brings
    He better not be a STUBBIN prick

Quote Originally Posted by cobra23 View Post
    He better not be a STUBBIN prick
    I see what you did there

Better than lee Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

welcome to our new (under)overlord. hopefully he brings good times, good play and good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Hardly the experienced guy we were promised. Why not any of the local coaches FFS. Hell, Kossie, Miron, Branko etc would have been better

And what can he teach Zane FFS? How to manage at Thai Premier League level? Is that what we're aspiring to now?
    You can churn out all the names you want, but if they didn't put their hand up for the job, the club can only choose from those who do.

If Stubbins was the best candidate, good luck to him. While I was hoping for a bigger name, I am not underwhelmed by this appointment either.

bring back richard money

I'm not going to stop trying until I see you smile Mitchy's Avatar
    His whole appointment will be judged if he signs Griff or not
    Novocastria Youth

record reads ok. show us the results then no worries. alternatively it could get ugly real quick

Happy with this

This is an interesting move. If one were to look at Stubbins in this light:

Mostly an assistant coach. Hasn't done a heap at a big level on his own. Was apart of club setup during a very successful spell, often accredited with being a large reason why they were so successful. ACL experience.

I have just described both Phil Stubbins and Mark Jones.

Interesting they'd pick a non-local who, on the outlook, has a CV kind of similar to a local (I know not exactly the same).

I am going to fence-sit, though. Adelaide fans loved Stubbins when he was there, and before knowing who Gombau was and how revolutionary he has been there, wanted Stubbins as their manager. I'm going to give Stubbins the benefit of the doubt until I see good or bad things from him. I have doubts over his player drawing power in the transfer market, as I did with Zane, Jones and basically all of our candidates but Arnold.
    OK

The pressure to perform won't be as highly over the top as it would have been if it were Arnold. And Stubby has done everything we complain about Bridges or Zane not doing ie putting in the hard yards, coaching state league/youth teams, biding their time as an assistant, before stepping up. Had Stubby been signed by another club, and proved somewhat successful, we'd be flogging the club about why we hadn't sounded out someone like him earlier - I think the club should be applauded when they so easily could have just stuck with Zane for no doubt less $$.

Banned
    Bit out of left field.

Hope the club have done due diligence with this bloke.

Nothing screams out great but the bloke has deserved the chance and it has now arrived. Don't **** it up now

Sign GRIFF FFS

Will not commit yet. Too much of an unknown

I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. Let's see how he gets us going, and what signings he makes

To be honest, other than what Premy posted at the start of this thread, and what the Jets have announced, I know bugger all about the bloke..

However, I do know that he has got plenty of time in the off season to sort out the squad (hint: re-sign Griff and Cabbage) and implement whatever style of play that he feels will bring us success.. A luxury that a lot of our previous coaches and care-taker coaches have not had with us..

Having been a Jets supporter for this long, I know I shouldn't have any hope, positive thoughts, optimism, a wish for playing well, or a desire for success.. But I'm willing to give the bloke support and the benefit of the doubt that he can lead us in the right direction.. Until proven wrong.. Then Thomas477 can give us all a massive "told ya so"..

Sign Griff.

then I will phil good about this.

to be honest, at least its not lee clark.
    I hope he does well (im sure we all do)

now, more Phil or Stubbins Puns please.

I'm interested in his phil-osophy on how the game should be played.