Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: 2014 World Cup Socceroos Thread

This just reinforced my doubts with Taggs going to a physical league like the Championship....on the other hand he needs to harden up.

McGowan again doing a poor impersonation of an international footballer. McKay also less than impressive

Agree RE: Taggart. But the answer doesn't seem to be pushing a natural wide-man into the middle, only to see him hug the line every chance he gets.

This is our worst performance of the cup.

FFS! WE AREN'T WEARING BLACK! Stop bloody passing to them!!!!!!

Think we needed that second right back...ie Wilkshire.

Netherlands up 1-0 in the other game

So poor. Hasn't been the greatest tournament for Ryan.

My 3 2 1 for the tournament.
    3 = Davidson
    2 = Spira
    1 = Cahill

Probably some interesting decisions there for some but all comes down to how much the top 2 exceeded my expectations.
    Special mentions to Bresc and Leckie.

Overall play has been good but we have nobody who can score goals, we make too many poor passing decisions and our defence has conceded three each match.

Craig foster sure uses a lot of words to say nothing.

Spira is love. Spira is life.
    OK

Our 4th World Cup is now over and it's been full of valiant performances yet no reward. The boys have provided us some great games and great moments and we haven't embarrassed ourselves against the best. A lot of the young players have done well and this has been a great learning curve, despite the limited time left with Timmy Cahill, the future is bright!

Really just did not rate Wilkinson this whole tournament. He had a big part in at least half, if not more, of the goals we conceded IMO.

A shame that da memba backed him so much to make the squad - makes me feel sick tbh.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by Imyourhero View Post
    My 3 2 1 for the tournament.
    3 = Davidson
    2 = Spira
    1 = Cahill

Probably some interesting decisions there for some but all comes down to how much the top 2 exceeded my expectations.
    Special mentions to Bresc and Leckie.
    Yep they are the 5 that our good performances were based around.
    I couldnt put them in 3-2-1 order though.
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Really just did not rate Wilkinson this whole tournament. He had a big part in at least half, if not more, of the goals we conceded IMO.

A shame that da memba backed him so much to make the squad - makes me feel sick tbh.
    Remember Williams, Good, Sainsbury all likely to come in for Asian cup. Just keep looking forward

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Tagz looks out if his depth tbh. Loses the ball or hits a stray pass most of the time. Needs to keep it.
    Everybody else isn't much better. Leckie getting closed down easily. Oar probably would have more luck.

Villa getting his first look at Australian defences.
    My thoughts after the first half too

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    Remember Williams, Good, Sainsbury all likely to come in for Asian cup. Just keep looking forward
    It's our attack where I fear for us going forward. Without Cahill I've wondered for a while whee the goals are coming.

Taggz certainly looked out of his depth as was said above, but hey it was his first World Cup, his first start. I thought he'd have done alright playing on a crap surface. He's had plenty of experience. If you look at someone like Leckie, he's grown with every game. Jedinak has bulked up since his time in the a league. Some better coaching, some bulking up and training on his left foot and he could do it. He didn't get a great deal of service but I hope this doesn't rule him out for future squads. I don't think it will.

We've got kruse to come back too. I agree with imyourhero that spira, Davidson and Leckie were big pluses for the future of the team.

It was a disappointing way to end the tournament after the promise of the first two games. But let's use them as a benchmark.

The Asian cup was what we were building for so let's see what we have learned in 6 months time, and who actually gets released from their European clubs!
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 24-06-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Oh yeah....and Forster should just give up

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    It's our attack where I fear for us going forward. Without Cahill I've wondered for a while whee the goals are coming.

Taggz certainly looked out of his depth as was said above, but hey it was his first World Cup, his first start. I thought he'd have done alright playing on a crap surface. He's had plenty of experience. If you look at someone like Leckie, he's grown with every game. Jedinak has bulked up since his time in the a league. Some better coaching, some bulking up and training on his left foot and he could do it. He didn't get a great deal of service but I hope this doesn't rule him out for future squads. I don't think it will.

We've got kruse to come back too. I agree with imyourhero that spira, Davidson and Leckie were big pluses for the future of the team.

It was a disappointing way to end the tournament after the promise of the first two games. But let's use them as a benchmark.

The Asian cup was what we were building for so let's see what we have learned in 6 months time, and who actually gets released from their European clubs!
    Kruse to come in. Hopefully Rogic can get fit, get game time and start to reach his potential, plus the fullbacks mentioned. If Cahill and Bresc use Asian cup as a last hurrah, i think we are looking quite good. No other Asian teams have hugely impressed so far. We havent gotten results but i think we have been the best. Japan have been hugely under expectations, Korea have been woeful, Iran have been fighting hard but we should still get past them on home soil.

Also, don't the Euro clubs have to release players for the Asian cup, euros, africa cup of nations etc? I thought they had to.

It'll be interesting to see if the possession-based styles of Japan & Korea give us trouble or not in the Asian Cup. Iran are the real threat IMO.
    OK