Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: 2014 FFA Cup - Rd of 32 Newcastle Jets vs Perth Glory 5/8/14 k/off 730pm

Goodwin was aids but was being played in a position he wont be used in this season. He will be LB not LW.
    Gallagher will be squad filler.
    Pepper should play DM over Kanta until he gets his head together
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Goodwin was aids but was being played in a position he wont be used in this season. He will be LB not LW.
    Gallagher will be squad filler.
    Pepper should play DM over Kanta until he gets his head together
    Goodwin just is aids, how many times did he fail to deliver a cross, attempt after attempt after attempt, never should have been re-signed based on his form last year. I'd rather see Carney in left back. I really think its going to bite us not using a visa spot on a quality LB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Goodwin just is aids, how many times did he fail to deliver a cross, attempt after attempt after attempt, never should have been re-signed based on his form last year. I'd rather see Carney in left back. I really think its going to bite us not using a visa spot on a quality LB.
    This!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    What irritates me is he is not quick.

Everytime he seems to pull a dribbling trick to wrong foot his opponent he seems to catch up anyway as Goodwin just doesn't have the speed to run away. He only seems to get away when he sucks the opponent in to diving in

May of missed it, what was the crowd figure?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG NBUnited View Post
    May of missed it, what was the crowd figure?

Banned
    Newcastle coach Phil Stubbins admits Perth Glory deserved their FFA Cup win over the Jets but says his side will improve.

The Glory secured a 2-0 away victory at Magic Park on Tuesday night courtesy of two goals from striker Andy Keogh.

The Irish forward finished off a Sidnei Sciola cross in the 20th minute and then added his second in the final minutes of the game after being set up by Mitch Nichols.

Perth goalkeeper Danny Vukovic denied Newcastle’s Joel Griffiths, Jeronimo Neumann and Jonny Steele with some good saves to keep the home side scoreless.

Stubbins told FourFourTwo he felt the result was a fair one.

“The game was probably a fair reflection of where both teams are at the moment, with us unfortunately conceding two slopping goals on the night,” Stubbin said.

“We were behind the polish of Perth at times, which you could put down to them having played more games against strong opposition to this point.

Yet after we changed it to a 4-4-2 shortly after they scored we did improve and managed to test their goalkeeper into making some sound saves.

“Our efforts physically were good but we have a long way to go yet and lots of players still to come in and help support our strong.

“It was a good effort from the boys in truth who will be better for the run and a great hit out with lots to gain for us.”

The Jets were without the likes of Mark Birighitti, Marcos Flores and Edson Montano.

Perth were also understrength with Michael Thwaite and Youssouf Hersi on All-Stars duty and Daniel De Silva lining up for the Young Socceroos.

Stubbins still does not know when Ecuadorian striker Edson Montano will arrive in Australia

“Montano has completed all designated immigration requirements so we are simply awaiting the stamp of approval,” he said.

“When? Not sure.”

Stubbins expects his team to improve as the pre-season continues and his players get more matches under their belts.

“I felt all the players gave it their all and want the boys to continue on in that vein,” he said.

“It wasn’t to be tonight but we have many absent players to come back and that can only help with the balance of the team and our efforts moving forward which is pleasing.

“We should continue to improve as the weeks go by.”