Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Zone League competitions

2015 Zone League competitions

As the 2014 season draws to and end, its time to think about season 2015.

Our club ,Dudley redhead ufc (juniors) have put in a proposal to see if there is any interest in having an id4's single grade competition next year. That being for any team in Id2's/Id3's that have a third team (basically 3rd grade for them). Other divisions could be considered to put in a team.

So far there has been geniune interst from 4 clubs with another 1 or 2 rumoured to be interested.

If teams have an all age team linked, then this could be the chance to incorporate them in. If the draw matches up 3 games back to back where possible. Suggestions from our players also include the odd friday night game when teams have their other team home or away from their id4's. This would enable players that have work/weddings on the saturday the chance to shuffle into the id4's on that odd week.

Any interest?

Geez. This would be a motley crew. 3rd grades, individual clubs, A/A stepping up, odd n sods. Alright get it up n running.

Couldn't this just be done by putting a team under the same club name in the all age comp and dual registering?
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Couldn't this just be done by putting a team under the same club name in the all age comp and dual registering?
    Fair call, That is an option. Most guys that have played id's want to keep playing that. More games for a start then all age.

All age competition is so stop/start.More organised, More commited clubs and better club atmosphere having more teams under the one squad.

I think more guys would rather be part of an id club setup. It would be good if more All age teams/clubs would switch over to id's.

It's not ID'S anymore, hasn't been for about 4-5 years.
    Zone Leagues

ZPL
    ZL1
    ZL2
    ZL3

Simple enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    Fair call, That is an option. Most guys that have played id's want to keep playing that. More games for a start then all age.

All age competition is so stop/start.More organised, More commited clubs and better club atmosphere having more teams under the one squad.

I think more guys would rather be part of an id club setup. It would be good if more All age teams/clubs would switch over to id's.
    I'll be honest, this idea just seems geared towards allowing the older players who can't make it in either of the top squads in their club to alliveate their pride by still calling it a ZL. If they can't cut it in the top squads, they play all age, but under the same club name, ie New Lambton Eagles etc. Also, there's nothing stopping the clubs from requesting the all age games to be played before the ZL games, though a 9am start might be rough for the 3 team comps, and ground availability might be a factor. As for number of games, could just increase the size of each division to 10 teams and 18 games.

Also, at the moment, state league refs struggle to cover all the games under their umbrella. With more WPL games next year, this struggle will increase. You can't just rely on local refs to fill in, we've got our own dramas to worry about, without worrying about more ZL games.

Look, it's a good idea, but trying to create another league when the same outcomes could be achieved by just fielding an all age side doesn't seem feasible.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    It's not ID'S anymore, hasn't been for about 4-5 years.
    Zone Leagues

ZPL
    ZL1
    ZL2
    ZL3

Simple enough.
    Funny. Who really cares what its called.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    I'll be honest, this idea just seems geared towards allowing the older players who can't make it in either of the top squads in their club to alliveate their pride by still calling it a ZL. If they can't cut it in the top squads, they play all age, but under the same club name, ie New Lambton Eagles etc. Also, there's nothing stopping the clubs from requesting the all age games to be played before the ZL games, though a 9am start might be rough for the 3 team comps, and ground availability might be a factor. As for number of games, could just increase the size of each division to 10 teams and 18 games.

Also, at the moment, state league refs struggle to cover all the games under their umbrella. With more WPL games next year, this struggle will increase. You can't just rely on local refs to fill in, we've got our own dramas to worry about, without worrying about more ZL games.

Look, it's a good idea, but trying to create another league when the same outcomes could be achieved by just fielding an all age side doesn't seem feasible.
    There arnt too many clubs where the all age and zone league (not id's anymore) have much to do with each other. We have 5 all age sides, yet we really dont have much of an association with them.

One positive element from local rugby and cricket is their strong club identity. Rugby have 5 grades and district cricket has plenty of grades and teams. This is something that football could aspire too, strong club culture. Clubs like cooks hill and uni are a few that have that.

You talk of a strong club culture, but then say your own club doesn't have much to do with the 5 all age sides? They should be the feeder (along with junior teams) to the ZL's.

An additional ZL comp for people who can't make the grade in their clubs normal ZL squad seems bit counter productive to creating a club culture when the other teams and comps are there already.

I'm with Thomas477, shuffle back to AA or O35's and have movement between the grades if players are needed.

My guess for next years comps, probably wrong but ya get that.

ZPL
    New Lambton
    Mayfield
    Barnsley
    Dudley
    Swansea
    Uni
    Beresfield SC
    Garden Suburbs
    Jesmond
    Suns

ZL1
    Cardiff
    Kotara South
    Nelson Bay
    Warners Bay
    Morriset
    Beresfield FC
    Terrace
    Hamilton
    Stockton
    Uni

ZL2
    Medowie
    Merewethwer
    Plattsburg
    Muswellbrook
    Westlakes
    Charlestown
    Simba
    Kurri
    RAAF
    Cooks Hill

ZL3
    Tenambit
    Mayfield
    Dudley
    Edgeworth
    Abermain
    Valentine
    Kahibah
    Jesmond Jnr
    New Lambton Jnr
    Wallsend

If you want to start another comp why not do away with all age and call them ZL4 etc etc. What is the difference. Then you could have promotion from top to bottom. Don't invent a new comp to keep a couple of people happy because eventually they stop playing and the comp folds.

Quote Originally Posted by namwob99 View Post
    My guess for next years comps, probably wrong but ya get that.

ZPL
    New Lambton
    Mayfield
    Barnsley
    Dudley
    Swansea
    Uni
    Beresfield SC
    Garden Suburbs
    Jesmond
    Suns

ZL1
    Cardiff
    Kotara South
    Nelson Bay
    Warners Bay
    Morriset
    Beresfield FC
    Terrace
    Hamilton
    Stockton
    Uni

ZL2
    Medowie
    Merewethwer
    Plattsburg
    Muswellbrook
    Westlakes
    Charlestown
    Simba
    Kurri
    RAAF
    Cooks Hill

ZL3
    Tenambit
    Mayfield
    Dudley
    Edgeworth
    Abermain
    Valentine
    Kahibah
    Jesmond Jnr
    New Lambton Jnr
    Wallsend
    That would be how I see it too surely they can't relegate teams that came last only to promote teams from lower comp. Only thing I see is would garden suburbs take promotion with their well known policy on promotion. And are Medowie sticking around next year.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky21 View Post
    That would be how I see it too surely they can't relegate teams that came last only to promote teams from lower comp. Only thing I see is would garden suburbs take promotion with their well known policy on promotion. And are Medowie sticking around next year.
    Garden Suburb have applied for a spot in ZPL.
    We came to a decision that if 4 clubs are to be promoted then coming 2nd entitles us to at least apply, also the concern as to what will happen to 3rd grade in ZL1 played a part in the decision.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Garden Suburb have applied for a spot in ZPL.
    We came to a decision that if 4 clubs are to be promoted then coming 2nd entitles us to at least apply, also the concern as to what will happen to 3rd grade in ZL1 played a part in the decision.
    Fair call I don't think anyone could begrudge u guys taking promotion. U lot have been the most consistent team in league 1 for many years now.

Jesmond wont be ZPL, Cardiff will be and Suns do have competition from elsewhere for the last spot. I'd say your movement from 2 to 1 is a tad off too.

Premy..... what are your concerns for third grade in ZL1 ????

Quote Originally Posted by C'mon man View Post
    Premy..... what are your concerns for third grade in ZL1 ????
    Considering that there were a few clubs in the season just gone that struggled to field a 3rd grade side at times, no disrespect to those clubs as I know all efforts were made to field competitive side's every week.
    It was bought up as a concern that with 4 new clubs to come into ZL1 will they be able to field 3rd grade sides and if not would there be a 3rd grade competition in ZL1 next season.

Edit: It was pure speculation on our behalf and it may not happen but it was something bought up in discussion and played a small part in our decision.
    Last edited by Premy; 28-10-2014 at 05:38 PM.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Considering that there were a few clubs in the season just gone that struggled to field a 3rd grade side at times, no disrespect to those clubs as I know all efforts were made to field competitive side's every week.
    It was bought up as a concern that with 4 new clubs to come into ZL1 will they be able to field 3rd grade sides and if not would there be a 3rd grade competition in ZL1 next season.

Edit: It was pure speculation on our behalf and it may not happen but it was something bought up in discussion and played a small part in our decision.
    Premy

best way to help field 3 grades is to remove any AA grades lower than say, "M" that would give at least by quick calculations, 8 teams/comp x 14players, 112 players per division and they go down to 's' don't they, that's 7 divisions, roughly 784 players....problem solved
    this solution needs the associations to have some balls and funnel the players into grade.
    That wont happen as there are some on the boards that believe AA comps are better than grade.
    I had one say to me about 2 years ago, Sat over 35's a grade were better than ZPL.
    cheers
    Last edited by Jardelsimage; 29-10-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    Premy

best way to help field 3 grades is to remove any AA grades lower than say, "M" that would give at least by quick calculations, 8 teams/comp x 14players, 112 players per division and they go down to 's' don't they, that's 7 divisions, roughly 784 players....problem solved
    this solution needs the associations to have some balls and funnel the players into grade.
    That wont happen as there are some on the boards that believe AA comps are better than grade.
    I had one say to me about 2 years ago, Sat over 35's a grade were better than ZPL.
    cheers
    It would be good if more all age clubs/teams came over to zone leagues. With 7 new teams in zone this year, It appears that some have. It would be good if more referees moved accross as well, I realise that there is issues with this.

All age A is on level terms with Zl3 first grade, having played both. ZPL is many more steps above All age A.

There would be many good teams going around in Over 35's A, especially
    Technically. But I would say they wouldnt be able to compete athletically with the quicker teams like hunter simba.

Charlestown, now Charlestown Jnrs to Zone League 1