Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Rd 2 Melbourne City Vs Newcastle Jets 19/10/14 k/off 3:00pm AEDST

Banned
    Griff led the way and all bar Montana and Flores were there right behind him and they soon joined in.

Montana even gave his shirt away. Went and grabbed the bib from Flores and slipped it on and looked back to the bench to make sure no one was watching and gave the shirt away to some blokes in Ecuador shirts

The good thing with it was that it was also reasonably quick after FT. The handshakes had barely been done with the Heart players and they were on their way over. They didn't huddle about on the pitch wondering what to do they charged over and even did not look sheepish about it like they were going through the motions.

As I said it all appeared genuine

He sure did but the question is: Will he be told not to do that again?
    Wasn't there an issue in season 2 when some of our players threw their shirt into the crowd?
    image.jpg
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    He sure did but the question is: Will he be told not to do that again?
    Wasn't there an issue in season 2 when some of our players threw their shirt into the crowd?
    image.jpg

That was with con paying the bills.
    Now we have........

Only thing that needs to change next week is a bit of a re-shuffling of players. I feel like the 4-5-1 we played wasn't quite ideal for our squad, with 4-2-3-1 being the more likely option. Something like this for next week would make more sense to me:

Birraz
    Neville - Jaliens - Gallagher - Carney
    Pepper - Caravella
    Griff - Flores - Steele
    Montano

Subs: Solari, Regan, Kanta, Hoole, Geronimo

Carney was brilliant. His first 7 or 8 touches of the ball were successfully played to Melbourne City players. 'Onya Dave

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Only thing that needs to change next week is a bit of a re-shuffling of players. I feel like the 4-5-1 we played wasn't quite ideal for our squad, with 4-2-3-1 being the more likely option. Something like this for next week would make more sense to me:

Birraz
    Neville - Jaliens - Gallagher - Carney
    Pepper - Caravella
    Griff - Flores - Steele
    Montano

Subs: Solari, Regan, Kanta, Hoole, Geronimo
    Not wishing to cause an argument here but isn't the formation thing a load of complete shite anyway??

4-2-3-1 quickly becomes 4-5-1 when you are under the pump and also goes to 4-2-1-3 when you have the ascendancy.

I beg to differ about the 4-5-1 not being ideal for our squad. When we are playing away from home we should have the express intention of parking the bus making life hard for our opponent and hitting on the counter. It nearly worked for us quite well yesterday. History shows last season when we did that to Brisbane Adelaide WSW away we were quite successful at it.

Reality is playing that way will
    a keep us in more games
    b get better results long term

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Not wishing to cause an argument here but isn't the formation thing a load of complete shite anyway??

4-2-3-1 quickly becomes 4-5-1 when you are under the pump and also goes to 4-2-1-3 when you have the ascendancy.

I beg to differ about the 4-5-1 not being ideal for our squad. When we are playing away from home we should have the express intention of parking the bus making life hard for our opponent and hitting on the counter. It nearly worked for us quite well yesterday. History shows last season when we did that to Brisbane Adelaide WSW away we were quite successful at it.

Reality is playing that way will
    a keep us in more games
    b get better results long term
    May not be wrong honestly, I was thinking more about guys like griff being a bit further up the park as a RW then he would be at RM. In saying that you're park the bus philosophy I guess does make sense for us. I more harp on shit like formations because I just love thinking about different ways our squad can line-up. As sad as it seems stuff like that if more for my own amusement of making them then anything else

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    May not be wrong honestly, I was thinking more about guys like griff being a bit further up the park as a RW then he would be at RM. In saying that you're park the bus philosophy I guess does make sense for us. I more harp on shit like formations because I just love thinking about different ways our squad can line-up. As sad as it seems stuff like that if more for my own amusement of making them then anything else
    Unfortunately the days of playing 2 genuine strikers seems a thing of the past. The modern tactic is one up front and having blokes overload midfield to try and rush forward and play into the space left by only having one bloke in the front line. Unfortunately the days of the 4-4-2 are basically extinct and may never return until someone reinvents the wheel how the game is played.

Agree Griff is wasted playing Right Mid Would love to see him played up front and would love to see us play 2 up front.

Thing with it is that until either Hooley or Virgili step up he is still our best option at Right Mid

Did notice at the airport last night that Hooley though was hanging with the Griff and absorbing the Great Ones wisdom so the future is looking bright

Hoole Hoole Goole Groole Grile Grife Griff

I thought Stubbins made a couple of tactical mistakes with his line up, particularly in the first half.

Having watched the MC v SFC game in rd 1 it was obvious that MC would dominate possession and we would need to press at the right moments. Therefore this was not the game to start Flores who is still considerably short of a run. The days of Griff being a RW are surely over and IMO he struggled defensively which killed his attack.

I would have kept Griff at AM, Flores on the bench and Hoole at RW.

Regan didn't do too badly if you consider the work he had to do. Caravella should take that position but I doubt he was fit enough against City.

Gallagher has been very impressive and I can see Madaschi struggling to get this spot back.

Montano also looks the goods and may well start all year

I would also like to see Steele and Carney swap positions. Carney is a more effective crosser of the ball and I can see Montano benefitting from his service.

Carney also doesn't have the legs he used to so Steele ends up covering for him for large parts of the game anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    I would also like to see Steele and Carney swap positions. Carney is a more effective crosser of the ball and I can see Montano benefitting from his service.

Carney also doesn't have the legs he used to so Steele ends up covering for him for large parts of the game anyway.
    The only problem I see with that is that Steele is either overly aggressive or a little clumsy in the tackle and gives away a few free kicks. Not so bad up field but asking for trouble in back third.

Agree with Borat on playing Griff wide. He's better in the thick of the action.

I think Borat is wise.

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    Gallagher has been very impressive and I can see Madaschi struggling to get this spot back.
    Was just voicing this yesterday after watching the replay.

At worst, Madaschi should only come off the bench until he is more match-fit. Pretty hard to justify giving Gallagher the hook when he has been sound at the back.

Banned
    Can see one of them playing left back and the other CD to free Carney forward as a possible option

Banned
    Just watched the game again and couple of things that I noticed.

Our left side is our biggest strength and weakness.

We are getting some quality play down that side from time to time but far too many times both Steele and Carney got both caught up the field and it was left to Gallagher to play both left back and CD

I also noticed that far too often our left back was in advanced positions for **** knows what reason. When Caravella missed the sitter Carney was right behind it and in the box. Considering the move was quickly put together from the moment we won the ball and Caravella butchered the chance the reason for Carney being there is baffling as he ain't holding his position to be around the 6yard box at this time

FFS I lost count of the amount of times Steele gave the ball away needlessly but it was defo in double figures.

Montano looks a great pick up. Considering he got **** all ball for the vast part of the game the quality when he got it stood out.

The bloke also got through a power of running defensively that may not have been noticed. I am gonna go out on a limb and say we need to make this blokes move permanent NOW

The refereeing is still shit. Would love to know how we have 8 yellows this season and our opponents have 0

Last week Montgomery 4 fouls no yellow
    This week Williams 3 fouls no yellow.
    Our blokes get yellow for sweet **** all

Why Villa wasn't booked for his blatant dive in the box is disgraceful when the prick Gillette kept booking us for petty shit at free kicks

We were out played, but almost snuck away with the point....
    The effort was there all game, they just out passed us...

Phoenix v Jets preview: Sunday 26 October, 2014

By JAMES GARDINER
    Oct. 24, 2014, 10:30 a.m.

► The Lowedown blog: As it happened with David Lowe

PHOENIX v JETS

Westpac Stadium, Sunday 26 October, 3pm.

PAST TWO STARTS

Phoenix: Won Mariners 2-1 (A), Lost Glory 2-1 (H)

Jets: Drew City 1-1 (A), Lost Mariners 1-0 (A)

Referee: Chris Beath TV: Fox Sports 1

TAB: Championship – Phoenix $21 Jets $17

Wooden spoon – Phoenix $3.50 Jets $4.25

This game – Phoenix $2.05 Draw $3.40 Jets $3.30

Michael McGlinchey for the Phoenix in action.
    Michael McGlinchey for the Phoenix in action.

PHOENIX1 Glen Moss (GK), 2 Manny Muscat, 4 Roly Bonevacia, 5 Michael Boxall, 7 Kenny Cunningham, 8 Alex Rodriguez, 9 Nathan Burns, 10 Michael McGlinchey, 11 Jeremy Brockie, 13 Albert Riera, 16 Louis Fenton, 17 Vince Lia, 18 Ben Sigmund, 19 Tom Doyle, 20 Lewis Italiano (GK), 21 Roy Krishna, 22 Andrew Durante (c), 23 Matthew Ridenton (two to be omitted) INS: 21 Roy Krishna (promoted), 23 Matthew Ridenton (promoted) OUTS: Nil UNAVAILABLE: Nil

JETS1 Mark Birighitti (GK), 2 Scott Neville, 3 Taylor Regan, 4 Kew Jaliens (c), 5 Ben Kantarovski, 7 Jeronimo Neumann, 8 Zenon Caravella, 9 Joel Griffiths, 10 Marcos Flores, 11 Andrew Hoole, 12 Sam Gallagher, 13 Edson Montaño, 16 Jacob Pepper, 17 James Virgili, 20 Ben Kennedy (GK), 21 Sam Gallaway, 22 Jonny Steele, 23 David Carney (two to be omitted) INS: 5 Ben Kantarovski (promoted), 20 Ben Kennedy (GK) (illness), 21 Sam Gallaway (promoted) OUTS: 30 John Solari (GK) UNAVAILABLE: 6 Adrian Madaschi (calf– 1-2 weeks), 14 Billy Celeski (groin – 4-6 weeks), 15 Josh Barresi (knee – season), 19 Mitch Cooper (knee – 4-6 weeks)

Picture: Max Mason-Hubers
    Picture: Max Mason-Hubers

BOTTOM LINE

Wellington have the wood on the Jets, winning 13 of 22 contests.

At home they have been even more dominant, taking maximum points in eight out of 12 games.

The Jets’ most recent win in New Zealand was in February 2013.

The last two games have produced five goals.

The Jets won 5-0 at home in March and were beaten 3-2 away in February.

Phoenix’s 2-1 win over the Mariners ended a five-game losing streak and was their first win in eight games.

The Kiwis have lost three straight at home.

They have never lost four in a row.

TO WIN: Jets
    nf.net preview > Herald.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

FFS I lost count of the amount of times Steele gave the ball away needlessly but it was defo in double figures.
    pretty hard not to notice this the 1st time. Tries hard though and could improve.