Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: This weather

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Jetmaster, do you have any education in sciences or in particular earth or climatic sciences?

seems to me that anyone who spouts off nonsense like you just did isn't particularly educated but gets their information from sources like News Limited papers

there is a clear and obvious trend of temperature rise, this is both long term, with evidence in paleoclimatology and short term in recorded temperatures. This is predicted by our understanding of climate and by our modelling - what's your argument against this?

there is a clear and obvious trend of reduced rainfall - we have always had droughts, the change is that they're now more frequent. This is also predicted by our understanding of climate and by our modelling - what's your argument against this?

there is a clear and obvious trend of increased carbon in the atmosphere which we can tell from analysis of isotopes of carbon is the result of burning of fossil fuels. This has many impacts, primarily warming but also cooling of the upper atmosphere as less heat escapes, we have evidence of this and again, this is also predicted by our understanding of climate and by our modelling - what's your argument against this?

the changes is the atmosphere, the fact that it all aligns with our predictions of what is happening to the planet - this isn't some greenie bullshit or idiots trying to make a point

let's be absolutely clear here - what's happening now has not happened before and you are an utter fool to say this

pffffft, i watched the NFL the other day and it was snowing in the Packers v Panthers game.

wheres your global warming now eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    Jetmaster, do you have any education in sciences or in particular earth or climatic sciences?

seems to me that anyone who spouts off nonsense like you just did isn't particularly educated but gets their information from sources like News Limited papers

there is a clear and obvious trend of temperature rise, this is both long term, with evidence in paleoclimatology and short term in recorded temperatures. This is predicted by our understanding of climate and by our modelling - what's your argument against this?

there is a clear and obvious trend of reduced rainfall - we have always had droughts, the change is that they're now more frequent. This is also predicted by our understanding of climate and by our modelling - what's your argument against this?

there is a clear and obvious trend of increased carbon in the atmosphere which we can tell from analysis of isotopes of carbon is the result of burning of fossil fuels. This has many impacts, primarily warming but also cooling of the upper atmosphere as less heat escapes, we have evidence of this and again, this is also predicted by our understanding of climate and by our modelling - what's your argument against this?

the changes is the atmosphere, the fact that it all aligns with our predictions of what is happening to the planet - this isn't some greenie bullshit or idiots trying to make a point

let's be absolutely clear here - what's happening now has not happened before and you are an utter fool to say this
    Hasn't the average global temperature been dropping in the last few years??

So how is this climate change thing deemed legit when all it is is a scam to fleece money from people

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    How's the social mania....for millions of years Australia has been subject to high temperatures and savage bushfires.
    What is happening now has happened before.
    Lucky some of these greenies weren't around at the end of the Ice Age.
    Maybe if the greenies were told to **** off we would burn the Bush back like we should be doing and not have this problem every summer

Ridiculous that in other parts of the world they can have wild fires yet no one loses their house because they are smart enough to clear the area around their homes

But here in Red Tape land we just wait for shit to burn down

no it hasn't - it's been rising

it's not a scam, the only scam is people believe this misinformation and lies spread by the fossil fuel industry

and no, there are no "greenie" restrictions on controlled burns of the bush to prevent fires

the exact opposite in fact

where is this evidence of "red tape" and the nonsense you spout?

My thoughts on climate change:

Mankind is changing the climate. All science, evidence and common sense points to this. To dispute this is dumb.

The loudest voices on both sides of the argument are killing any sensible solutions. For every "bhah it snowed in Perisher in November" there is a "the world will end in 12 years". Both of these kinds of people need to be gently pushed underwater and only let back up when they stop either talking or breathing, whichever comes first.

Closing coal fired power stations in Australia doesnt fix anything. it helps certain people feel good at night but if the goal is to fix the environment then we need a solution a whole lot bigger and better than Paris to actually fix it. For the fart sniffers to just ignore China and India's contribution in all this is absurd.

We need a better reply than 'you coal miners can get a new job in the new green economy'. you go actually try telling that to a bloke in an industry who is scared for his future and welfare that "she'll be right mate" aint gonna cut it. these people are human beings.

For politicians, public servants and teachers to be lecturing people on "oh you'll get another job" is just a larf. these are the same useless tits that go out the gate when the pies are cold. i wont be lectured by these assholes.

we showed by sensible, direct action on the ozone layer that we can reverse man made effects on the environment. same goes for simple things like pumping shit out into the ocean. a solution is there, but i dont trust politicians, actors or media types to have it.

unless the Greens/hippies come to the party re:nuclear then what progress can really be made? both sides need to make sacrifices on their dogma. May the wisdom of Griff be bestowed on the person that wants to fight that fight.

GRIFF!!!!!
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Ridiculous that in other parts of the world they can have wild fires yet no one loses their house because they are smart enough to clear the area around their homes

Home owners are allowed to clear the area around their homes in Australia.

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/plan-and-...ation-clearing
    Last edited by pv4; 13-11-2019 at 07:06 AM.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post

Sorry for having an opinion but you have reinforced another theory for me.... I'll get me coat.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 13-11-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Maybe if the greenies were told to **** off we would burn the Bush back like we should be doing and not have this problem every summer

Boss of RFS said that policy had zero effects on the amount of back burning these last few years. Conditions have been too dry and dangerous to safely back burn.
    The reason why conditions have gotten so bad is fairly simple to understand for most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    My thoughts on climate change:

Mankind is changing the climate. All science, evidence and common sense points to this. To dispute this is dumb.

The loudest voices on both sides of the argument are killing any sensible solutions. For every "bhah it snowed in Perisher in November" there is a "the world will end in 12 years". Both of these kinds of people need to be gently pushed underwater and only let back up when they stop either talking or breathing, whichever comes first.

Closing coal fired power stations in Australia doesnt fix anything. it helps certain people feel good at night but if the goal is to fix the environment then we need a solution a whole lot bigger and better than Paris to actually fix it. For the fart sniffers to just ignore China and India's contribution in all this is absurd.

We need a better reply than 'you coal miners can get a new job in the new green economy'. you go actually try telling that to a bloke in an industry who is scared for his future and welfare that "she'll be right mate" aint gonna cut it. these people are human beings.

For politicians, public servants and teachers to be lecturing people on "oh you'll get another job" is just a larf. these are the same useless tits that go out the gate when the pies are cold. i wont be lectured by these assholes.

we showed by sensible, direct action on the ozone layer that we can reverse man made effects on the environment. same goes for simple things like pumping shit out into the ocean. a solution is there, but i dont trust politicians, actors or media types to have it.

unless the Greens/hippies come to the party re:nuclear then what progress can really be made? both sides need to make sacrifices on their dogma. May the wisdom of Griff be bestowed on the person that wants to fight that fight.

GRIFF!!!!!
    Coal industry spent long enough ensuring people are so terrified of nuclear power to make it near impossible to switch now. If we'd started building them a decade ago we'd be ahead of the curve and a leader in the world, but now it's gonna take another 10 years before people treat is as a logical option then a further 10 years to build them.... SMH.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Coal industry spent long enough ensuring people are so terrified of nuclear power to make it near impossible to switch now. If we'd started building them a decade ago we'd be ahead of the curve and a leader in the world, but now it's gonna take another 10 years before people treat is as a logical option then a further 10 years to build them.... SMH.
    oh but there is a legit reason to be wary of Nuclear.
    The coal industry wasnt the ones showing us Chernobyl and Fukushima.

I mean, even the Greens dont want nuclear, but dont want to accept 'the science' on wind/water/solar not being enough for base load.
    the Greens (good intentions and all) are just a big a roadblock to climate change as any party in this country.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Sorry for having an opinion but you have reinforced another theory for me.... I'll get me coat.
    if you're going to spew forth utter garbage expect to be challenged on it

it's like Couscous on here saying Griff wasn't that great after all - it's completely wrong and should be challenged

oh but there is a legit reason to be wary of Nuclear.
    The coal industry wasnt the ones showing us Chernobyl and Fukushima.

I mean, even the Greens dont want nuclear, but dont want to accept 'the science' on wind/water/solar not being enough for base load.
    the Greens (good intentions and all) are just a big a roadblock to climate change as any party in this country.
    I'm no expert. But those style of reactor's are a thing of the past. They no longer use water to cool the core, they use molten salts (??) or gas to cool them. They also use lots of smaller reactor cores rather than one large core.

Modern reactors are larger scale (or a multitude of smaller) submarine style reactors. They have been making those since the 50s I think.

I'm no expert. But those style of reactor's are a thing of the past. They no longer use water to cool the core, they use molten salts (??) or gas to cool them. They also use lots of smaller reactor cores rather than one large core.

Modern reactors are larger scale (or a multitude of smaller) submarine style reactors. They have been making those since the 50s I think.
    in very much the same way modern coal fired power stations are way different to the ones of ye olden days.

yet, again, the same people are saying we cant have any of these either.

as for the ridiculous notion that they are too expensive to build, just remember that a new low emission, high efficiency power station will cost somewhere between 2 and 3 billion dollars. compare that to the est figure of between 35-60 billion dollars the govt found to build some new submarines.

i know which sort of project a lot of people would rather the govt spend their money on.
    Seems like I am WRONG

and just to be clear thats not a #wellactually aimed at you Frodo.
    none of us really know the state of Nuclear because no one in this country is allowed to discuss it.
    its either the cause for more scaremongering, or the people on the other side are too ****ing cowardly to discuss it for fear of upsetting the balance of power in the parliament.
    Seems like I am WRONG

and just to be clear thats not a #wellactually aimed at you Frodo.
    none of us really know the state of Nuclear because no one in this country is allowed to discuss it.
    its either the cause for more scaremongering, or the people on the other side are too ****ing cowardly to discuss it for fear of upsetting the balance of power in the parliament.
    Hey, I said I wasn't an expert from the start. My job needs coal fired power plants more than anyone else in NSW. But there's plenty of other good options out there that we could use a mix of and drop our carbon output at that end. Plus power would be cheaper which would make an electric car easier to sell which would help on the other end as well.

Can't understand the logic of the people who think we can either only have coal or only have solar/wind power. I also can't understand the logic of people who think our country couldn't survive without coal as our only power source.

Plus power would be cheaper which would make an electric car easier to sell which would help on the other end as well.
    this is also a good point. but when you have literally no discussion on how bad for the environment it is to make electric cars, then again, its window dressing.
    also the lack of investment in hydrogen fueled cars is baffling. from everything ive read, they seem to be the real difference maker as far as production and emissions are concerned.

then we have politicians on good money living on the North shore of sydney lecturing everyone on the environment driving gas guzzling 4wds and exclaiming that they both cant afford an electric car and that their kids are too big to sit in one. (yes thats a real thing). again, the idiots in charge here are the real problem with environmental policy.

that South Park episode about the Smug alert has never been more #onbrand
    Seems like I am WRONG

I also can't understand the logic of people who think our country couldn't survive without coal as our only power source.
    oh it think they get it, but they also think that why should they pay more and lose jobs when the coal they cant use just gets sent to china and india and the CO2 ends up in the atmosphere anyway.

that logic isnt all that silly.
    Seems like I am WRONG

oh it think they get it, but they also think that why should they pay more and lose jobs when the coal they cant use just gets sent to china and india and the CO2 ends up in the atmosphere anyway.

that logic isnt all that silly.
    Yeah, I understand that. Why should we do it if China, India etc aren't going to change and do more damage than us anyway But that's on us for not being willing to pay extra to have something made in a more ethical country. Capitalism baby!