Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Stubbins = He's Out (pg 47)

Punxatawney didn't see his shadow!

Spring has sprung!

Go **** over another club.

and there was much rejoicing...for a while anyway until we realise that there's still a big hill to climb....ah stuff it, still rejoice.

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar

Can't wait to be a plastic fan again like the good old days. Prawn sandwiches Boz?

Quote Originally Posted by la bazzle View Post
    Can't wait to be a plastic fan again like the good old days. Prawn sandwiches Boz?
    miss u
    we will loose

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    I can taste the thousand island dressing already
    sitting out last season was the best decision ever

Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    miss u
    I can't wait for the reunion in bay 1 and to pick it again

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    I can taste the thousand island dressing already
    sitting out last season was the best decision ever
    Best thing you've done for the club since your last rage quit

the entire season was a ragequit

probably my second most sucessfull ever

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Newy, time to lay down your AKs, we did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    I just about had it all coming together with Stubbins and Tinker's reign of disaster cutting memberships so I could work out who these real fans and the plastic fans are.

Now I am ****ed trying to work out who the plastic ones are in the soon to be 10k+ crowds
    Oh well, looks like you'll have to share your club with the hangers on.....that or just hang out at nesbitt park and truly support your local club.

Ohhh, poor Dez Geraldi got burnt by GVE and now thinks Stubbins should be given more of a chance.

This reads more as a man with sour grapes against a club backing someone from his former club. Nothing balanced in here, except the GVE comments.

On the 29th of December 2009 I turned up to Newcastle Jets training facility after we had agreed to a short term deal, I was to sign for 6 months over the period of the Asian Champions League as the team was short on troops. I recall the original conversation when I was contacted by the club, my concern was that i was not match fit and needed a good 6-8 weeks of work under my belt. This was not an issue as there was some time before the Champions league kicked off.

A mutual friend drove me up to Newcastle and we left quite early in the morning to arrive in time for the teams training session, once I had arrived he spoke with a number of club staff and bid farewell. I was advised a club person would be waiting for me after training to take me to the hotel that had been arranged.
    This is where I got my first taste of the Newcastle Jets and Garry Van Egmond, what a disaster!

Fortunately I had a few mates playing at the Jets and with their assistance I managed to get some training apparel, I had to scrounge for some strapping tape and strapped myself prior to training, not a real drama but I’d been at clubs like Adelaide United where these things don’t happen, players arrive on trial and they are given a full training kit, jacket, and any treatment needed prior or post training is taken care of by club doctor or physio. Either way this was not an issue for me personally, I didn’t mind strapping my ankle or wearing odd sized training gear, it just seemed unprofessional and generally when the back end is a mess its a reflection of the total operation.

Training was tough, an intense session and the boys had a real blow out, it was New Year’s Eve the next day so the club gave the boys a 2 day holiday, I guess Garry wanted to give the team a nice solid hit out before the 2 day lay off. I remember looking at poor old Spencer Prior during the session, veins were bulging out his neck and the heat was near unbearable… No doubt I battled through the session but I was happy to do the work and get some k’s into my legs.
    Garry didn’t say two words to me that morning, we shook hands on arrival and then we were into it.

After training I was a little unsure who to speak to, I started to get a little concerned as the playing group were leaving the training ground, I was waiting for one of the coaching staff or club staff to take me to the hotel but even they were taking off without looking back. I asked a few guys where I was staying but no one knew anything, the next minute I’m left standing in the driveway of the training facility all alone with just my suitcase, everyone had gone and I had no idea what to do.

After about half an hour Kaz Petafta drove past, obviously it was a little strange to see me standing on the side of the road with a suitcase, he stopped and offered me a lift, the thing was I didn’t know where to go, we went to grab a bite to eat and bumped into Mark Milligan and Justin Pasfield, two good friends of mine, I was relieved to see them, once I had explained what had happened they started calling Craig Deans and a couple of club staff, Craig said he would organise something and that he would be in touch within an hour. Milsy just threw my suitcase in his car and took me to his place to relax for the afternoon, we had a swim down the beach and just lazed around the apartment waiting for someone to call or come and pick me up. Around 10pm I figured no one was calling, nor were they coming to pick me up, I crashed in Milsy’s spare room and slept like a baby.

I woke up on New Years Eve to a message from Garry Van Egmond, he was sorry to inform I was no longer required and wished me all the best. Probably not ideal news to wake up to but I figured I’d call him back to get some sort of explanation, of course he would not answer my calls nor did he ever return them.
    I was now stuck in Newcastle on New Years Eve. Between Mark and Justin we managed to get a hold of Craig Deans, his solution to get me home was to throw me on a train back to wollongong. Luckily for Craig when he picked me up to take me to the train station he had his kids in the car because had they not have been there I may have told him exactly how I felt. To top off the most humiliating 2 days of my life Craig then tried to hand over a $20 note for my train ride home. Needless to say I declined and left the car without a word. Of course the train schedules were all over the place due to the New Years celebrations so 3 changeovers and 8 hours it took me to get home.

I’m experienced enough to realise the reason behind Van Egmonds decision not to sign me, I’m also experienced enough to know that how Garry and the Jets treated me over the two days was a disgrace to say the least!
    Football is a matter of opinion and I understand that, I’m a realist, I was released by Adelaide United for no other reason than I wasn’t good enough to be there, I had my oportunities and never took them. I was also given the respect by Aurelio who pulled me aside to personally advise of his decision. I don’t hold any ill feelings toward Aurelio or the club.

However…. In this case with the Jets, the way I was treated was unacceptable and it is my opinion that Garry Van Egmond is a coward, put his coaching ability aside, as a person he is a coward. What would I have done if I didn’t know any of the players? What if I had no phone or no money? I was left to fend for myself by a club I had just agreed to sign with!

My reason for sharing this story is to give my view on what was already a very unprofessional operation, the recent sacking of Phil Stubbins gave me reason to voice my thoughts and I feel that Phil had the right intentions and had the right idea, it was just unfortunate his Boss and Jets owner Nathank Tinkler was trigger happy.
    Through past discussions with some good friends who played in Newcastle my opinion is that the Newcastle Jets had developed an unprofessional culture, this culture has just evolved and players were there only for what they had done in the past, not for what they were producing at the time of incident. Joel Griffiths comes to mind, without a doubt one of the best strikers to play in the A-league, David Carney played 50 odd games for the Socceroos, Billy Celevski played over 100 games in the A-League and won the competition with Victory, one of the best midfielders I’ve played with, and we can’t forget Marcos Flores! These guys have a CV to die for.
    Where were they on the 14th of November 2014?

They were all at hunter stadium, on the park, getting beat 4-0 by Brisbane Roar, a fortnight later they were back at hunter getting a 3-1 drumming by Wellington. Let’s be realistic here, on paper the Jets had a good squad, but clearly these guys were not playing to their standards. During the trying times these guys should have been the first to stand up and be counted… They went missing!

Sure the administration has plenty to answer in regards to players contracts being torn up or sacking players halfway through a two year deal but if Nathan Tinkler Asked me in December who I’d let go, these guys would have been on my list. Do I agree with the decisions Nathan Made and the way he went about his affairs? No, but I don’t feel that Phil Stubbins is to blame for the poor business decisions made by the Jets owners. I’m sure Phil was asked what he felt needed to happen to turn things around at the club, my guess is that he wanted a change in culture. Remove the old timber for stronger foundations, of course as we all know it’s a very tough thing to do because a player like Joel Griffiths was a club legend. Well if my boss asks me tomorrow what I would change in my workplace I would happily tell him, if he then goes and makes the changes the next day is that my fault? Sure Phil had to then back Tinklers actions but who wouldn’t, Joel Griffiths wasn’t writing Phil’s cheque every week, Tinkler was. (or maybe wasn’t at times)

I know Phil Stubbins well, I worked under him, in fact he may have been involved in my release from Adelaide United as he was Aurelio’s assistant, he never done me any personal favours so I’m not tooting his horn but what I will say is that he is about as knowledgeable and passionate as they come, a guy who was approachable at any time and a bloody good coach in my eyes, the game needs more people like Phil and I hope he is not lost to the A-League, I believe he made his choices for the good of the game and that meant russeling a few feathers, the poor treatment of the players involved is in the hands of the administration. The media are quick to jump on any negativity and in this case they cost Phil his job, I would have liked to see the FFA give Phil an opportunity to fulfil his commitment of change in the club, goodness they need it!

Lol umm so his logic is that these four players were playing in a couple of games which we lost, and so therefore everything is their fault. Wonder if it every occurred to him that Stubbins is a dud coach and the result was his fault because he can't coach for shit.

Evidence: nearly all of the players the club let got last season went on to play successful roles in other teams. Yes, rookie Ernie Merrick signing Griff because Wellington forced the signing on to him.

Other lol part of that was at the end was where he said that it was the media's fault for Stubbins being sacked. Nah, I think that might have to do with the fact he won 3 games all season ffs.

How epic would it have been to see Deans handing over a lobster with his screaming kids in the back of the car.

Stories like this are starting to make me fall in love with the Jets again.

On Dez Giraldi, yeah good on him for sharing his experience with GVE but find it annoying when he has an opinion on Stubbins' tenure at the Jets and what happened without obviously speaking to any of the players. Calls GVE a coward, well I can think of nothing more cowardly then a coach sending a player a text message the night before a match to tell him that he is not in the match day squad.....that is just one snippet of the man, I'm sure there are many others.

Spotted him at Honeysuckle Hotel with Jones and Vanstratten tonight, not only Is he clueless at being a coach, he's clueless at Trivia too.
    Jaliens gives me the horn

I'm over him now, to be honest hey.

Moving on...
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

is it too late to grab our pitchforks and rush the Honeysuckle Hotel?

I'm not content with him being sacked and financially compromised, I want him run out of town

Get him to ragequit the Hunter?
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

I know it's all in the past now and been done and dusted for well over a week but I still think Stubbins got off lightly in the local media as compared to Tinkler.
    Carney's whole career was put in limbo for months, others like Griffo and Kew were forced to move elsewhere while their young families remained in Newcastle, Celeski also with his wife expecting a child was also in limbo for weeks with his future uncertain, local lad Virgili being kept in the dark for 3 months on his future while injured and then being told he would not be re-signed, Neil Young having settled in Newcastle was forced back to re-locate to Perth. etc etc. These are all human beings who along with their families were affected by a person who placed his own self-interest above those of everyone elses, yet no one in the aftermath seemingly gives a toss in the media. Even when the decision was made to sack Stubbins and Jets supporters wanted to vent their opinions on The Herald website in relation to the news, The Herald chose to close the site down because of "defamatory" comments....couldn't they just have chosen not to include those "defamatory" comments?
    The past few months in particular a lot of rumours and innuendo were flying around the Hunter about what was really going on at the Jets and in fairness to Stubbins it probably wasn't appropriate to discuss this at length in the media while he was still at the club. Now he is gone, for many there are still questions that remain unanswered; Carney, Griffo and Caravella are but a few who have touched on the whole sorry saga under Stubbins' reign but for the many others who suffered and who were unfairly treated there is still much to be told I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    I know it's all in the past now and been done and dusted for well over a week but I still think Stubbins got off lightly in the local media as compared to Tinkler.
    Carney's whole career was put in limbo for months, others like Griffo and Kew were forced to move elsewhere while their young families remained in Newcastle, Celeski also with his wife expecting a child was also in limbo for weeks with his future uncertain, local lad Virgili being kept in the dark for 3 months on his future while injured and then being told he would not be re-signed, Neil Young having settled in Newcastle was forced back to re-locate to Perth. etc etc. These are all human beings who along with their families were affected by a person who placed his own self-interest above those of everyone elses, yet no one in the aftermath seemingly gives a toss in the media. Even when the decision was made to sack Stubbins and Jets supporters wanted to vent their opinions on The Herald website in relation to the news, The Herald chose to close the site down because of "defamatory" comments....couldn't they just have chosen not to include those "defamatory" comments?
    The past few months in particular a lot of rumours and innuendo were flying around the Hunter about what was really going on at the Jets and in fairness to Stubbins it probably wasn't appropriate to discuss this at length in the media while he was still at the club. Now he is gone, for many there are still questions that remain unanswered; Carney, Griffo and Caravella are but a few who have touched on the whole sorry saga under Stubbins' reign but for the many others who suffered and who were unfairly treated there is still much to be told I believe.
    And what will the media now having a go at Stubbins achieve? The only reason it needs to be brought up is if these people feel they have an entitlement to compensation.

He's gone. It's time we all moved on and focus our efforts on making things better for the future, not dredging up and focusing on the past..
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles