Page 96 of 98 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 1953

Thread: You know what really grinds my gears?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    As far as DJ's / musicians go. You just have to learn to appreciate different things. Its not that dissimilar from the difference between session musicians and songwriters/artists. What you think is better depends on whether you value creativity or technical ability on the "instrument". Because they are two very different things. Most famous guitarists aren't famous for being able to play the fastest, or the cleanest, or the most difficult licks. Its the fact that they conceive of them in the first place. How many thousands of guitarists can produce a perfect rendition of Stairway to Heaven? The technical ability to recreate it isn't the impressive part.
    See, famous and technically brilliant can be so far apart. What do you value? A showman?

I do not give any credit to popularity but I do like some music that is simple and some that is complex. I do think some complex music is garbage etc.

Is Opera supposed to be special?

any of you mother****ers even tried to play a wobble board?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    You are totally correct, BUT perhaps going down a different rabbit hole than what I think was originally intended..

I could be wrong, but I am assuming Dunster was referring to the sort of DJ you would see at your local pub/club.
    Person (usually a hot chick) shows up, hits play, someone else's music comes out, acts like they are a genius and rocking the house..

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the skin, but I don't see how it requires a large amount of talent.. I've never done it, perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye..

I know I'm leaving myself open to all of the mixing and beat matching and all that stuff, I'm happy to be wrong and shown that that stuff takes the same amount of time to master as it does an instrument..
    Fair point on that, I probably did interpret it more as a music producer rather than a live "DJ".
    I too don't know much about that side of things and what it does and doesn't take to do it. I will say though that there's a huge difference between a chick who's curated an iTunes playlist of songs she likes, and some person who actually remixes and combines songs, takes samples etc to create a different take on existing songs. I can appreciate the time and thought that's gone into it and enjoy hearing familiar stuff in a different way.

Dunster, I'm not gonna try and compete with you on musician knowledge because you'll blow me out of the water. I would agree that in general, musicianship levels on instruments are not what they once were. And I wasn't saying that session musicians are not extremely talented - in fact that was my point. The fact that some of them have the talent and the creativity doesn't undermine my point either.

If I can leave people hitting play on songs they have nothing to do with out of it, when people are creating music (regardless of what instruments or medium is being used), its going to be received by very different people in very different contexts. Some styles will not appeal to you in general, but that doesn't mean there isn't stuff of value in there. And within styles that don't appeal to you, you will still find bits and pieces you can appreciate (whether its individual songs or just elements of them) and enjoy, and maybe transpose into a style that you enjoy more.

But there's also some music that is trash. Always has been and always will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    Is Opera supposed to be special?
    Absolutely - It's only real downfall is being too expensive for most people to attend.

People still have preferences for certain artists / performers as well as Composers.

Some of it you will like some of it you won't. But I'd be confident there would be something in the genre you'd enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Lead or rhythm ?

I’m convinced there’s a spot reserved in hell for everyone that walks through crowded areas of the beach wearing thongs while flicking tonnes of sand up and over people on the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    I’m convinced there’s a spot reserved in hell for everyone that walks through crowded areas of the beach wearing thongs while flicking tonnes of sand up and over people on the sand.
    Better then burning ya feet on the sand

I’ll clarify that the thong wearing part isn’t the issue, the issue is the sand being flicked onto innocent people.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Rolf Harris has single handedly burned this 'instrument' for the unforseeable future...

Banned
    I’ll clarify that the thong wearing part isn’t the issue, the issue is the sand being flicked onto innocent people.
    Saw a dude blow out a double plugger at the airport. A lot of head scratching going on.

36 Fanta flavours at Maccas.....not one of them orange ffs.

Fanta has always been orange to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    36 Fanta flavours at Maccas.....not one of them orange ffs.

Fanta has always been orange to me.
    Wait..
    It's actually only 6 flavours, that you can mix with the 6 flavours, to get 36.. and one of them isn't orange.. (Which is what Fanta is, or was, to us older folk?)
    Really? hahaha..

Saying farewell to my ACL.
    Again.
    Boots are well and truly hung now.

Again.
    Boots are well and truly hung now.
    Shit, that's no good. The other knee?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Same one.
    Initial MRI 11.5 months ago was misdiagnosed due to swelling, follow up/Pre op MRI last time showed there were remains of an ACL and it was somewhat in tact, albeit lax and unable to determine just how much, so 10 months of rehab trying to get strength and stability through my knee. 44 minutes into first game back, and hyperextended it and felt a pop again, and that was the full ACL gone.
    So now back to square one, and where I was 12 months ago.
    Disappointment still very much there, but somewhat expected and I knew the risks. Initial swelling just makes it impossible to do anything.

Day 6 Post Op.
    New appreciation for how athletes ever want to go back to sport and potentially go through this again.
    Though, pay me 500,000 and I’ll consider it.

Being in Facebook gaol..................

Same one.
    Initial MRI 11.5 months ago was misdiagnosed due to swelling, follow up/Pre op MRI last time showed there were remains of an ACL and it was somewhat in tact, albeit lax and unable to determine just how much, so 10 months of rehab trying to get strength and stability through my knee. 44 minutes into first game back, and hyperextended it and felt a pop again, and that was the full ACL gone.
    So now back to square one, and where I was 12 months ago.
    Disappointment still very much there, but somewhat expected and I knew the risks. Initial swelling just makes it impossible to do anything.
    The advances in treating these types of injuries is amazing. Look at Marko Jesic - he's been through hell and back several times but they managed to get him right and he's still playing for Marconi.

Good luck with the rehab - it will be tough no doubt but at least yer not suffering from old age - no cure for that shit I can assure you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post
    Being in Facebook gaol..................
    No great loss really

The way things are going with these Social Media everyone is getting banned for breaching their community guidelines which they can't even define

No great loss really

The way things are going with these Social Media everyone is getting banned for breaching their community guidelines which they can't even define

The photo in question was nothing more than a woman in hotpants and a bra.

The really worrisome thing about it is that since so much information is now disseminated by social media they should fall under the same rules as a phone company or postal service. IE unless it's actually illegal they shouldn't be able to police to the extent they do. Obvious hate speech and illegal activity is one thing. But stomping down on artists? Get farked.

So think about this. The Herald has posted my work in a full page feature. But it's too racy for Facebook.