Page 55 of 98 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1953

Thread: You know what really grinds my gears?

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    That why I can say Prince is overrated
    Yeah but you're the bloke who rates Gypos like Wilkinson, Rogic and Ryan so your rating system is garbage and wrong.

I mean who are you listening to these days Member is Amy Grant still pumping out the hits?

Jascha Heifetz

/thread.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 23-04-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Curious to know who you think are "great" Member?

Banned
    Johnny Farnham Barnesy and ACCA Dacca

Now move on

5 5 5

Johnny Farnham Barnesy and ACCA Dacca

Now move on

5 5 5
    You forgot to log in as Captain Obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    I think we need to look at some of the things they have contributed to modern music Plague - sure you might not like the sounds, or think they are over-rated. Personally, I am no fan of Led Zep and can't stand "Stairway", but I acknowledge the influence they had on many young metal bands to come.

The Stones made everyone aware of the original blues roots of rock and developed the "stadium gig" to the money spinner it is now. Jagger was the first real "frontman" of rock.

The Who made Marshall's what they are now, had the greatest bass player of all time and one of rocks most influential songwriters - Townshend even predicted the internet in 1970 when he wrote "Lifehouse".

As for longevity - who are we to say when a band should pack it in? As long as they are physically capable, enjoy it and have punters willing to pay why stop? The baby boomer bands are going to places where nobody else has thanks to longer life spans - will be interesting to see if anyone follows.

Music is a culture of very differing opinions - it's the beauty of it.
    But if someone thinks that zepplin, hendrix or beiber are sh1t, it isnt wrong (maybe a bit naive), its your opinion against theirs. You might love Bros and I will say cool even if I might not. If there is pioneer then it probs does give a bit more weight to their craft of being good even if it is only a societal influence. I think music technicality must carry some weight also. hit that perfect beat boy

Yeah I'm with that.
    Especially considering of all the iconic performers of that generation (which would be a group consisting of Prince, Michael Jackson and Madonna) you would have to say Prince was by far the best technical musician, and by far the more prolific songwriter.

2 pretty big categories I'd say.

MJ was the better singer and performer, and Madonna the better marketer.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    But if someone thinks that zepplin, hendrix or beiber are sh1t, it isnt wrong (maybe a bit naive), its your opinion against theirs. You might love Bros and I will say cool even if I might not. If there is pioneer then it probs does give a bit more weight to their craft of being good even if it is only a societal influence. I think music technicality must carry some weight also. hit that perfect beat boy
    See my post above of Jascha Heifetz . There is no argument he is the greatest musician to have ever been recorded.

You could then talk about the best at a specific instrument. Dennis Brain perhaps would be regarded as the greatest horn player of all time without anyone else coming near him.

Cello - You can argue between Casals or Rostropovich - but there are a lot of people that come near enough to fool the casual observer.

Get to Piano and Guitar and it really does come down to opinions and preferences because there is not a lot of difference between a large class of players. Same as with drums or Bass...and so on.

My favourite guitarists are Townsend, Hendrix, Richards, and Malcolm Young. There are many out there better technically than this lot - but riff wise it would be hard to find anyone else to match them.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 23-04-2016 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Yeah I'm with that.
    Especially considering of all the iconic performers of that generation (which would be a group consisting of Prince, Michael Jackson and Madonna) you would have to say Prince was by far the best technical musician, and by far the more prolific songwriter.

2 pretty big categories I'd say.

MJ was the better singer and performer, and Madonna the better marketer.
    True. And of that three I'd say Prince and Madonna are still relevant. MJ's music was past its use by date five years after it was released. Try listening to Thriller these days. It's not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    True. And of that three I'd say Prince and Madonna are still relevant. MJ's music was past its use by date five years after it was released. Try listening to Thriller these days. It's not easy.
    Yeah but Off the Wall is MJs best album and still killer. There's just some fantastic proper pop songs on there, but from memory he really only wrote about half of it.

I'd probably take a Michael Jackson concert in his prime over just about any live experience from that era.

Edit: but I'd also say that a Prince live even last month would be as good as it was 20 years ago and I doubt there's many other pop figures you could say that about.

Ok now I'm on a train of thought.
    Alicia Keys?
    Green Day?
    Pearl Jam?

I'm clutching.

MJ put the D into daggy. best the that guy did was get a monkey, all class...imo

MJ's music was past its use by date five years after it was released.
    Geez. Jackson 5 are a must for any dance list.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Ok now I'm on a train of thought.
    Alicia Keys?
    Green Day?
    Pearl Jam?

I'm clutching.
    Green Day = Stiff Little Fingers clones. Absolutely blatant rip-off.
    Pearl Jam = A poor mans version of The Who. Eddie Vedder must have listened to their albums a hell of a lot.
    Alicia Keys - No ****ing idea - N3ever paid any attention to her music.

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    Geez. Jackson 5 are a must for any dance list.
    Jackson 5 are not Michael Jackson. All he did was sing and dance. The brothers were very talented musicians and writers [especially Jermaine Jackson - fabulous musician].
    Last edited by The Dunster; 24-04-2016 at 01:28 PM.

Green Day = Stiff Little Fingers clones. Absolutely blatant rip-off.
    Pearl Jam = A poor mans version of The Who. Eddie Vedder must have listened to their albums a hell of a lot.
    Alicia Keys - No ****ing idea - N3ever paid any attention to her music.
    No no, what I'm saying is that take any popular musician (whether you like them or not) and compare their live performance 20 years ago to now and I think the list of people who are comparable would be real small.

MJ towards the end was nothing of his old self, Madonna doesn't even try and staples like Farnham, Billy Joel, Metallica are shadows of their former selves.

The examples I gave were ones I thought were at least consistent, and it highlighted how great Prince was live that he still blew doors every night.

Banned
    Performing live and putting an album out are two different things

There are many artists who out on a great show but their work in the studio is average conversely there are many who put in great performance in a studio but cant do it live

Also comparing people 20years ago to now is a bit harsh. People have kids families partners and have different interests as they age.

Some of those performers you slate as not being as good now more than likely not have the motivation to go out night after night and conquer the world. They have done it and would rather kick back counting their millions doing other things most of the time

Performing live and putting an album out are two different things
    Again, you forgot to log in as Captain Obvious.