Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 128

Thread: The Best Coffee In Novocastria Thread

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    My Mrs (or Coffee Wench, as I refer to her) owns a cafe/deli in East Maito that I go to each morning, pretty damn good coffee..
    Its amazing that between her and the three other girls there that could make the coffee, using the same ingredients, same machine, same everything. That each person makes a completely different tasting cup..
    Feel free to tell us where this is since I live in Maitland and could do with a good local drop.

    Cino's in Greenhills itself is probably the best I have had up here but it has gotten to be pretty inconsistent as well. Oasis on High St in Maitland and Stillwater out at Lorn are both better than average and a hell of a lot more consistent than some other places. Lavenders in the mall is ok but the service has been shit the last few times we were there (told to hurry up with our orders 3s after sitting down so they could let the kitchen staff out, FFS) and coffee isn't good enough to make me overlook it.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Bon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    3,559
    On another note.. Can someone shed some light on the difference between Liquid Gold and Estabar for me..
    I live in the same building, up above them. Any morning I can go downstairs and Estabar has a lineup out the door.. And yet Liquid Gold is a dead-set ghost town..
    I have only had Estabar coffees when I'm hungover (so at that point in time, and mind-set, oh and after the 40 minute wait, I could be drinking a cup of liquid pig-shit and it would still be better than how i was feeling)..
    Is there really such a difference in their coffees? Is it the fact Estabar has a bunch of hot hippie-esque chicks working? Is it just the art-faggery image of being seen at Estabar?

    (After asking all of this, I know I could easily just purchase a coffee from both places and compare, but that would require me doing that outside of work time. Right now I'm getting paid to type this rubbish.. )

  3. #23
    Senior Member Bon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    3,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Feel free to tell us where this is since I live in Maitland and could do with a good local drop.
    Slices Deli in East Maitland.
    My office is in East Maito so I've tried most of the places around here. Teale is ok but their service is slow as anything.. P'Chinos is decent and I used to frequent there a bit but it can depend on who you have serving you as to how it comes out. I used to go to DCM in Greenhills occasionally but that was only cause you could get it in a bucket-sized cup and got some free cinnamon donuts with it (the coffee was awful, hahah, I was choosing quantity over quality during that time)..

  4. #24
    in awe of baz GazFish35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Its amazing that between her and the three other girls there that could make the coffee, using the same ingredients, same machine, same everything. That each person makes a completely different tasting cup..
    There are many variables other than those you've listed, that alliance on the flavor of the coffee.
    How much coffee is being used, the tamp, pour rate, milk freshness, milk temperature, milk heating technique, milk pour, even the humidity in the room. How often the machine is reset too.
    It's as technical as wine

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Slices Deli in East Maitland.
    My office is in East Maito so I've tried most of the places around here. Teale is ok but their service is slow as anything.. P'Chinos is decent and I used to frequent there a bit but it can depend on who you have serving you as to how it comes out. I used to go to DCM in Greenhills occasionally but that was only cause you could get it in a bucket-sized cup and got some free cinnamon donuts with it (the coffee was awful, hahah, I was choosing quantity over quality during that time)..
    Forgot about P'Chinos, it's pretty good as well... don't actually recall a bad coffee there but no mind blowingly good ones either.

    I've apparently had friands from Slices Deli before... my wife says so so it must be true (that's how marriage is, right?). She also wonders why it is called Slices Deli and there aren't more slices available for purchase?

    Worst coffee I have had up here was at New Capri. Wasn't expecting it to be great but was hoping for it to be better than it was. Have had better coffee from an International Roast tin

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    There are many variables other than those you've listed, that alliance on the flavor of the coffee.
    How much coffee is being used, the tamp, pour rate, milk freshness, milk temperature, milk heating technique, milk pour, even the humidity in the room. How often the machine is reset too.
    It's as technical as wine
    But if you take out as many of those variables as you can (such as having them make coffee one after the other so room humidity, machine reset, milk freshness are non issues), it really comes down to how good they are at making a coffee.

    That's the bit that blows my mind at JB... I can have two coffess 3 hours apart and they are the best and worst coffees I have in Newcastle.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,674
    when you've got people that don't drink coffee making coffee, that's where your problem starts. an FATC* error.

    *****wit at the controls

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,391
    My manager suffers from similar issues (PICNIC, PEBKAC)...

    Not sure if that is the problem with somewhere like JB though. PJ loves his coffee and some of the best and worst I have had there were made by him.

  9. #29
    in awe of baz GazFish35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    But if you take out as many of those variables as you can (such as having them make coffee one after the other so room humidity, machine reset, milk freshness are non issues), it really comes down to how good they are at making a coffee.

    That's the bit that blows my mind at JB... I can have two coffess 3 hours apart and they are the best and worst coffees I have in Newcastle.
    That's why the tamp and the way they heat the milk are so important.
    Tamp too heavy and the coffee is bitter, too light and it's weak, uneven and the coffee mouse tails and you get something even worse.
    If the milk isn't done right, the heat overpowers the coffee, and if stretched properly the micro bubbles help the flavored of the coffee come out more.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Merewether
    Posts
    5,368
    Have noticed too that if a coffee shop is very busy, the coffee never seems to be as nice. When it's quiet you usually get a good one. That is one thing I have noticed about JBs.

    Remember one great sight at JBs when PJ and the boys were pulling the the real coffees and his missus was around the side serving free instant coffees to the pensioners who just finished a morning show in the Civic !

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Have noticed too that if a coffee shop is very busy, the coffee never seems to be as nice. When it's quiet you usually get a good one. That is one thing I have noticed about JBs.

    Remember one great sight at JBs when PJ and the boys were pulling the the real coffees and his missus was around the side serving free instant coffees to the pensioners who just finished a morning show in the Civic !
    JB is now "5 minutes or its free". I wish they would make it "good coffee or its free" instead.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,391
    I had an excellent coffee with breakfast from Chaddies today. So good that I got another one to go and finished it off at work.

  13. #33
    in awe of baz GazFish35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,421
    Anyone in newy roast their own beans?

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,391
    Any coffee places or any individuals?

    I know Coffee on Crown roast their own...

  15. #35
    Too much effort. Just buy fresh. http://www.coffeecompany.com.au/

  16. #36
    in awe of baz GazFish35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Any coffee places or any individuals?

    I know Coffee on Crown roast their own...
    I meant places, only ask as the place I get my daily hit do single origin specialty roasts, and I struggle to enjoy much of the big name suppliers that some cafes go with.

    You'd be a pretty heavy consumer to roast our own for personal use. Surely?

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    I meant places, only ask as the place I get my daily hit do single origin specialty roasts, and I struggle to enjoy much of the big name suppliers that some cafes go with.

    You'd be a pretty heavy consumer to roast our own for personal use. Surely?
    Are you calling me fat?!?!?!?

    Tis sadly true

    And yeah, probably... but unless it's during the ridiculously mad busy period at work, I am in the office more often than not and one of my mates roasts his own (or has a cousin that does or something...) so we drink that fairly often.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    664
    Sprocket roast there own but I have an issue with the one of the owners so they can gagf, we use peaberrys at work does the job alright

  19. #39
    barrios in downtown mayfield is pretty good.

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,391
    Not Novo but had awesome coffee in Shitney CBD today, Double Barrel in York St behind Wynyard Station. Loverly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •