Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Best Coffee In Novocastria Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    No idea where the one at honeysuckle is. The one I've been to is in the old surf shop just off the corner of Hunter abs Darby.
    Pretty sure its the old twist at honeysuckle, inbetween dockyards and silo....

I went to go to the one in at PD'S today but got distracted ended up having one at frankies place was pretty good but nothing special, they use campos beans

One of the sponsors of westlakes Juniors donated a coffee machine to the club. On Sat mornings when there's a few games on they also have one of the sponsors workers to make the coffees. confirmation it's the best coffee I've had at football ever. A bit of a wait when all the football mums have orders in queue but worth it

Anyone been to cafestry in town? Apparently have a la marzacco strada which is a machine where you can control the amount of pressure of the shit allowing for different flavours to come through... I might have to venture in tomorrow to check it out.

Edit: They also use seven seeds coffee, all the rage in Melbourne
    Last edited by skippy; 04-06-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Time to resurrect this bad boy, new places to check out include Welsh Black Espresso on Bull Street, the old feast the big rig from One Penny Black runs it using Alchemist coffee he is also going to start serving 'carbonated coffee' out of beer taps will be interesting to see how that goes.

Side Pocket Espresso at Mayfield, weird spot but the chick makes a mean coffee using Single Origin Roasters.

B-Side Cafe in Charlestown using Ducale coffee from Melbourne, met the Ducale guys down at the Melbourne International Coffee Expo and they were the most down to earth people there, took alot of the wanker factor out of coffee which is never a bad thing.

My coffee career is only in it's infancy but Saluna on King St is my pick!

Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    B-Side Cafe in Charlestown using Ducale coffee from Melbourne, met the Ducale guys down at the Melbourne International Coffee Expo and they were the most down to earth people there, took alot of the wanker factor out of coffee which is never a bad thing.
    you went to a national coffee expo? dedication man

not being a current resident I havent had much of a chance to indulge in local coffee snobbery, but Eurobar at Hamo seems to be decent.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    you went to a national coffee expo? dedication man
    Talked the boss into a work trip, we are opening up another cafe in about 10 weeks so wanted to go check out some ideas.

Was good to see but **** there was alot of wankers about.

Given the propensity for cockroaches to nest in commercial coffee machines I'll stick to instant coffee at home thanks.

Finding a coffee machine not full of cockroaches is about as likely as the Jets signing a quality marquee for next season.

nothin' like a good old international roast ay

Right. I've been out of town for 2.5 years, will be working at either Darby/Hunter or possibly Hamilton. Lawrie McKinna appears to recommend Blue Door and a mate has recommended One Picket Fence.

Where is good coffee these days?

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    not being a current resident I havent had much of a chance to indulge in local coffee snobbery, but Eurobar at Hamo seems to be decent.
    Yeah they aren't too too bad there. Breakfast menu there isn't too overpriced either.

Right. I've been out of town for 2.5 years, will be working at either Darby/Hunter or possibly Hamilton. Lawrie McKinna appears to recommend Blue Door and a mate has recommended One Picket Fence.

Had a caramel latte at The locale in New lambton. Not too bad at all there. Very nice venue too.
    Quote Originally Posted by benfathers45 View Post
    Mangoes? You should try eating it first before you hate it. I'm sure after you have tasted it, you will love it.

Caramel latte ffs

A bit out of your way but coffee shop corner of Llewellyn and Dent street in Merewether has lovely coffee......And if you ever go Maitland way find the Bearded Cactus (Go on FB to see location / they been moving a round a bit lately)..... but best coffee in the region........
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

I work around the Hunter/King/Watt St area and there's a few good coffee shops around... Saluna, Xtraction, Good Brothers, Ground Floor. Goldbergs on Darby also delivers the goods.

Can't say I'm a fan of One Penny Black but many swear by it. Vinyl isn't too bad if you don't mind waiting all day.

Zinc on Darbo.

Left my phone there and got it back from the lovely staff.

Am indebted to its customers and staff and will stay loyal regardless of what pretentious beans are going down. that is until it changes hands in 12 months time.

Great coffee in Maitland - its why they have the Aroma festival there.

Roost, Heritage Gardens, Art Gallery, Green Hills Library does great Byron Bay coffee. Since Bearded Cactus quite a few popups have appeared in Melbourne St and Lawes St.

There was an article in the Herald a few months ago.

Maitland is probably a bit far for me to walk outside the office and grab something at 1030 each morning.

And too many bad memories up there. **** Maitland.

Righto these are your best options in no particular order:

Welsh Black
    Core Espresso*
    Dark Horse
    One Penny Black
    Glee
    Good Brothers
    Ground Floor but I'm not a huge fan of the grounds coffee.
    Fortunate Son
    Apocathery Cafe.
    Barcito *

If you are ever in New Lambton Corner Lane is the way to go, do yourself a favour and get yourself a cold brew.

*I can be found working the machine on a very rare occasion.